Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by hopsterguy5 See Profile

• Location: Westerly,Washington,RI
Good "none at the moment... really"
Bad "everything."
Overall "Cox.net is sucking really bad right now."

This is a Review of the COX.NET transtition from Cox@Home

The Rhode island area has been HORRIBLE the last 4-5 days. I can't tell you how bad it is. I am getting modem-like speeds and resets on a sb3100 general instruments modem does nothing to help.

My upload speeds are actually faster than my download speeds at this point... what a waste of money.

Comments:

Review by dynamic mark See Profile

• Location: Pensacola,Escambia,FL
Good "Great download speeds(approximately 2.1mbps)"
Bad "None!"
Overall "Drop your dial up if you want some speed!"

The speed is great and connection is reliable! Not a single contract. 24/7 tech support. Best value for this type of connection.

member for 12.6 years, 148 visits, last login: 10.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by madforry See Profile

• Location: Tempe,Maricopa,AZ
Good "It was great when I first got it"
Bad "No tech support, no way of resolving issues."
Overall "I'm so close to giving up on broadband!"

*** January 23, 2002 ***

Sigh. Read my other reviews to get an idea of how hopeless my experience with broadband is.

I thought everything was going to be great when cox's express internet service came into my area. Its cable download and modem upload, but they promised that I would have regular @home cable up and down service in a couple months after my cox express was installed.

Ahh, the glory days...

My service went down on Black Friday, around 1/11. It was down for almost a week as I had no way of getting tech support. Trying to call Cox was impossible. I'd either get a busy signal or get hung up on.

I emailed their support department and got a response around 5 days later. Their response completely ignored my original email. Basicly the jist of it was that they wanted me to call in if I was still having the problem.

Of course I can't call in because I get busy signals and whatnot. And if I email them they tell me to call in.

I LOVE BROADBAND.

My connection works now after I found some help in the dslreports forums. But now I have a reoccuring problem with my ip dropping. This happens every two hours or so. I have to reboot the modem (it doesn't have an on-off switch, so I have to take the plug out and put it back in - I've nearly worn out the socket from doing this so many times) and then release/renew the ip of my computer after the modem is finished rebooting.

I also have cox digital cable tv. What is killing me right now is how often they advertise their high speed internet service. They run commercials for it at least once an hour.

Too bad they don't have the resources to actually support it...

*** June 27, 2001 ***
Here's something curious. When my cable modem was installed, I was using a motherboard with an integrated NIC. I guess motorola surboard modems bond to the NIC you use when installing the service.

When I switched to a new motherboard (epox ruuules!) and a new NIC my cable modem would not connect.

I talked to their tier 2 support, and they had to send out someone to swap out the modem. I asked when the soonest they would come out (I called on a wednesday night) and they guy told me thursday. I cringed, remembering the hell that I went through with DSL, and asked "You mean next thursday?" And he replied " Oh no, tomorrow morning first thing". Happy happy I was.

The cable modem bonding seems a little odd to me. Why would Motorola make a modem that has to be switched out every time you get a new NIC? I guess it bonds to the MAC address of the NIC, but I'm sure there's a way to reprogram the modem other than switching it out. But since Cox came out the next day for free (and they improved my cable reception ) I left it alone.

Lastly, @home got rid of some nice newsgroups like alt.binaries.movies.divx. Ah well, I'm not a pirate or anything. Just sometimes stuff would come up there that I couldn't rent, purchase, or find at my local library. It was nice while it lasted.

*** Original Review ***

You can read through my reviews to see the hell I have gone through with DSL.

I finally gave up after waiting 2 months for my DSL to be reactivated. I called Cox Communication around the 18th of June after getting an offer in the mail for Cox Express.

Cox Express is Cable download and analog modem upload. Its all combined into a Motorola Surflink Cable modem, so its not like you are using an analog modem in your computer to connect for uploads and requests.

Installation was 100% painless. Compared to my original 4 month wait to get my PSN.net/Northpoint SDSL line, it was a walk in the park. 2 weeks after I ordered the line one person came out to my place and got my Cable modem up in under 30 minutes. It would have been less than 2 weeks but I was away on vacation for memorial day .

So far I absolutely love it.

Its 1.5mbps cable download and 33.6k modem upload. Ping times are around 60ms. I'll post more detailed information after I've been using this for a while. For right now I'm getting drunk in celebration of having broadband back =).

The news server sucks. It seems they only keep posts for 24 hours. Downloading dark angel episodes is tricky The email server is down right now. But I don't use POP mail since I move all the time and providers have a nasty habit of going out of business.

DNS was a bit iffy at peak times, but again - I've only had this for a day.

I'll post more in a couple of days. Right now I'm going to go kill some terrorists in CS.

member for 13.6 years, 369 visits, last login: 6.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by F8th See Profile

• Location: Rocky Hill,Hartford,CT
Good "ummmm..............hmm.....sigh"
Bad "EVERYTHING (since the transition)"
Overall "don't bother with COX"

I know this isn't an express review.....When I first got COX@Home it was wonderfull. Since they dropped the @Home the speed had dropped drastically. It went from 3027 (almost constant speed) to a variety from 1300 to 2200. Not to mention, I have SEVERE packet loss. Of course everyone at COX says my line is perfect. Needless to say I am more than just unhappy, I am downright angry. When my stutters happen, they just don't happen for a second, I lose all connection for anywhere up to a minute (most times a minute or so). It happens quite often too, average of 70 or so times a day. The tech person told me it is due to the "seamless" changeover of service and that my line should be better than ever "just give it a week or two...". If my line doesn't at least clear the packet loss up in a week im goin back to DSL; it was slower, but at least it was constant. Transition= Tech support wait time /1.5 hours, Speeds /1000kbs less, Packet loss /30second drop every 2minutes. What am I paying for anyway?

Comments:

Review by dazdnconfusd See Profile

• Location: Arabi,Saint Bernard,LA
Good "It's fast"
Bad "No bad points lately"
Overall "It's fast and reliable"

Well the service was real good as far as them getting me connected. When I first tweeked my computer is was at 48 x faster then 56k dial up, which is what I had. Then the problems started after the dreaded switch. I was only two times faster then 56k. I talked to several techs and they all blamed it on the server. They said it would be a couple of days then a couple of more days then a couple...well you get the picture. I couldn't get my e-mail set up because they said that i had the wrong log on name or wrong password. Finally I got a tech on the phone and he took care of that in 30 minutes. Tonight I tried the new on line tech support and they told me the very first thing I should have done was to unplug my modem wait at least 30 seconds and plug it back in and reboot. I did that and now I am running at 33 times faster then 56k. Not where I would like it to be but better then it was. The modem that I bought is a Toshiba PCX1100U

I believe all of the bugs are out of it and it's good to go

updated July 18, 2004

member for 12.6 years, 166 visits, last login: 4.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by pbennett See Profile

• Location: Scottsdale,Maricopa,AZ
Good "The kit came in the mail and I was able to get the service set up by myself"
Bad "I couldn't log into the customer service to check additional email accounts - also, speed seems to be down"
Overall "They are still faster overall than DSL, at this point, but we'll have to wait and see for how long!"

I was just changed from the @home service to "cox.net" and while it was overall a smooth transition, there were some glitches in the process.

Also, the speed is not the same as it was, either they just don't have the backbone that @home did, or there are more users than before. I use the service during the day primarily, and I used to get fast, really fast downloads.

Let's see what happens as they continue to roll the service out.

member for 13.9 years, 39 visits, last login: 12.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by Fiberoptic23 See Profile

• Location: Harrison,Boone,AR
Good "Good download speeds, good ping"
Bad "slow upload"
Overall "Regular cable modem, worth the extra from 56k"

I think Cox Communications cable modem is worth the extra you pay over 56k, its like 10x better, and only like 10$ more.

Comments:

Review by Caveman0311 See Profile

• Location: Chesapeake,Chesapeake City,VA
Good "Seamless transition...did not know until I ran a traceroute"
Bad "None at present"
Overall "Very impressed with truly"

*** THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE COX.NET TRANSITION *** Chesapeake, VA

I got my conversion kit in the mail last night and manually configured my system by only entering my confirmation code, and double-checking my network settings. Did not bother configuring any email browser as the new webmail.cox.net works very well. At this point I was still on the @Home backbone. Got home this evening and while tracing the route to an address my firewall blocked, noticed I had been switched overnight to the Cox.net backbone. So far I am very happy to announce that so far this has not turned into the nightmare transition that some of the other ISP subscribers have been going through. My speeds have even increased about 300Kbps, and it is 8:50PM!!! Supposedly most or all of the people in this city were transitioned last night so I do not have to worry about the system in this area slowing down. I am interested to know how my neighbors in VA Beach, Portsmouth, Newport News, and Hampton are doing! Price: $34.95/mo (without renting modem). IP: truly dynamic IP (has changed atleast twice today where it was the same since I had ordered the service previously on the @Home network).

Comments:

Review by Koriebeth See Profile

• Location: Haughton,Bossier,LA
Good "It's faster than connecting at 28k"
Bad "Bad communication with office staff.(not tech support staff)"
Overall "Cox is the only choice I have for high speed internet access."

I started getting cox express internet service in Nov. I got a coupon in the mail for the Cox Express etc. When I called the office, like I have every 2 weeks since August when the technician working in our area told me I was "cable internet ready", she once again told me it was unavailiable. I had to explain about the coupon and then after she ask someone else I finally got the answer I was waiting for. The price, $39.95, which included a $10 modem rental. I acquired my own modem to cut the monthly cost to $29.95 (goes up to 34.95 in January I hear but nothing official from Cox) Took them all day to get my modem ready, took less than 10 min for them to actually do. Technical support has been able to answer most questions & they are very helpful. I have had to have a tech come to my house once and they did that fairly quickly. I have had the cable internet service about 1 month and still when I call their main office they tell me the internet service is not availiable in my area. I don't understand this.?!

Speeds are around 900/80, but no one at the office or the technician that came to my house can tell me what the speeds are supposed to be.

Comments:

Review by xsive1 See Profile

• Location: Tempe,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Low cost, fast download"
Bad "Slow upload, customer service questionable at times"
Overall "If you want fast downloads w/ a low price this is it. With a catch of course"

Have had Cox@home express for a few months now. Overall i am satisfied with the service. Everything was up and running within a week of me placing my order. Price was 19.95 for express service if you buy modem. Average download speeds are 150k/sec. Do reach 300k/sec at times. Make sure you visit tweak forum, I was only getting about 50k/sec before tweaking. Outages are rare contrary to what I have been told. If you upload a lot, the express service is not for you. Customer service w/ cox has been ok. It defiently helps if you have some computer knowledge. It's kind of scrary thinking the help they offer if you don't know what's going on. The more detailed and knowledgeable you are about the problem, the smoother the customer service is. I say this because I am going through a problem w/ their mail servers and they don't know what to do. Furstrating. Overall, I get good download speeds for 19.95 a month. That's enough for me to overlook the customer service experience. I will probably switch to DSL though in the future, more cost but worth the increase speed and relability, at least for me.