Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by silverfawx See Profile

• Location: Gilbert,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Fast, reliable, great customer service"
Bad "Outages for couple minutes at a time since new network"
Overall "value unbeatable"

well, like everyone, i started with dial up. it was very good at them time (back when elink was good) and then i decided it was time to go broadband. broadband via cable wasnt yet available in my area and from all the things i saw people saying in irc i was kind of skeptical about it anyway. so i went with uswest dsl. in the beginning they were pretty good -- very decent ping to many game servers...but then they became qwest and things started going downhill. my downloads and ping went down and up respectively. it was still bearable, however, until they merged with msn. when that happened it just went to hell. my latency was erratic, my packetloss was in the 30-40% and my download speed was just horrible. i was still skeptical about cable, but it seemed to by my only feasible alternative. i checked out their site and found out the download bandwidth was 3kbps (which just blows away what i was used to). so i ordered the service and a tech came in 3 days later (which was also suprising considering the time i had to wait for dsl which was like 2 weeks). took the tech about 30 mins and i was online and ready to go. i jumped on some game servers and to my delight my pings to west coast servers dropped down to an average of 30ms from the dialup ping i was used to with dsl. i pay 30$/mo becasue i have cable tv through cox too. also, if i ever have a problem i can call up their customer service line and be on hold for a max of 10 minutes if even that. they have always solved any problems i had right away and were very friendly about it. i am very glad i have cox high speed internet and i couldn't reccommend it more. hopefully it will only get better from here...

edit - also the transition lasted a few hours but i am very pleased with the outcome and i am very hopeful for the future of cox.net

member for 13.1 years, 2896 visits, last login: 1.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by zulu1982 See Profile

• Location: Mission Viejo,Orange,CA
Good "Fast, Reliable, easy"
Bad "Mix-up on install"
Overall "Worth the money, Never going back to phone modem!"

During this whole conversion to cox.net I have never had any connection problems. It has always been fast for me, in fact it has gotten faster, 3000+/200 when I test at this site. I didn't use there conversion kit, I did all the configuring manually. Although I havn't had any problems yet, I would understand if my service cut out for a little while. It is a big test to convert all your costumers to a new ISP, some ppl just expect too much.

member for 12.8 years, 12 visits, last login: 11.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by gzajac See Profile

• Location: Rocky Hill,Hartford,CT
Good "easy self install-great speeds-pleasant support people"
Bad "a little pricy"
Overall "I would hate to go back to dial up"

Since Cox was upgrading their system here in Conn- I had to wait to get my self install kit.I left my name,and they called back when they came in. I installed it that night,eventhough they said my service wouldn't be up and running for 10 days.The next morning It was up and running.I called in to activate my account, and my email was working 20 minutes later.After reading all the horror stories about cox service and disruptions, I am extemely pleased with the level of service so far.For the last three years I have been on a Snet dial up where I consistently connected at 26.6 K, what a difference. I bought my Surfboard modem off the net for $107, and Cox said no problem. I tried originally to get Snet DSL, but I was told don't hold my breath for service. I would recommend the Cox service to anyone and the self install to anyone who can read. It is hard to rate the tech support now, because I only called to activate, and waited only a couple a minutes on hold.update: after I supplied mac address, lost connection for three days. After reading about problems in connecticut, figured it was a problem everywhere.I finally called tech support and found the mac address had two letters swithched.Fixed the error, up and running while I talked to tech support. I called at 7:00 at nite, and it took 19 minutes total.I still am pleased with service and support, and realize they have bugs to work out, I am patient.

Comments:

Review by am6pm See Profile

• Location: Rancho Palos Verdes,Los Angeles,CA
Good "when it was @home it was fine"
Bad "Post conversion horrible"
Overall "wait and see"

I went through the COX.NET conversion... Last weekend my service took a dump and when it came back up I noticed a not more traffic (my data light has been flashing a lot more when my computer is off). Now my service has been spotty at best. I'm losing 25% to 50% of my packets, I get high speeds at bursts at a time. Sometimes it looks like I'm back to dial-up, then I'll get a burst of speed.

I was happy when @home was running the show. Now when I call customer support @ cox.net, all I get is everyone is helping someone else and wait time is just long. I once waited for an over an hour only to be disconnected! If things don't improve, I will be looking for another ISP (ie DSL).

UPDATE 2/5/02: I'm having mixed performance, but still unsatisfied with the results. Old @home was still better. Verizon just called yesterday, will get to try Verizon for free for the first month. Cox has 1 month from the time I get Verizon working here to shape up or I am GONE! Tech support is still unreachable. I'll be calling the billing office to express my dissatisfaction.

Comments:

Review by stevenj053 See Profile

• Location: Plantsville,Hartford,CT
Good "Called and they offered to install the next day"
Bad "Tech support seemed to be backlogged. Could be a product of the conversion"
Overall "Good value, 1 day install, Cannot complain really"

Tech came out and said I could do a self-install, which they said I couldnt do when I originally called. 10 minutes for modem install and software. The software seems to have some bugs to work out. I had to delete my registry and some files before I got it to work, and then everything was screaming. Other than what seems to be some internal communication problems I have nothing bad to say, just hoping this is the way things stay.

member for 12.8 years, 35 visits, last login: 10.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by hopsterguy5 See Profile

• Location: Westerly,Washington,RI
Good "none at the moment... really"
Bad "everything."
Overall "Cox.net is sucking really bad right now."

This is a Review of the COX.NET transtition from Cox@Home

The Rhode island area has been HORRIBLE the last 4-5 days. I can't tell you how bad it is. I am getting modem-like speeds and resets on a sb3100 general instruments modem does nothing to help.

My upload speeds are actually faster than my download speeds at this point... what a waste of money.

Comments:

Review by dynamic mark See Profile

• Location: Pensacola,Escambia,FL
Good "Great download speeds(approximately 2.1mbps)"
Bad "None!"
Overall "Drop your dial up if you want some speed!"

The speed is great and connection is reliable! Not a single contract. 24/7 tech support. Best value for this type of connection.

member for 12.8 years, 148 visits, last login: 11.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by madforry See Profile

• Location: Tempe,Maricopa,AZ
Good "It was great when I first got it"
Bad "No tech support, no way of resolving issues."
Overall "I'm so close to giving up on broadband!"

*** January 23, 2002 ***

Sigh. Read my other reviews to get an idea of how hopeless my experience with broadband is.

I thought everything was going to be great when cox's express internet service came into my area. Its cable download and modem upload, but they promised that I would have regular @home cable up and down service in a couple months after my cox express was installed.

Ahh, the glory days...

My service went down on Black Friday, around 1/11. It was down for almost a week as I had no way of getting tech support. Trying to call Cox was impossible. I'd either get a busy signal or get hung up on.

I emailed their support department and got a response around 5 days later. Their response completely ignored my original email. Basicly the jist of it was that they wanted me to call in if I was still having the problem.

Of course I can't call in because I get busy signals and whatnot. And if I email them they tell me to call in.

I LOVE BROADBAND.

My connection works now after I found some help in the dslreports forums. But now I have a reoccuring problem with my ip dropping. This happens every two hours or so. I have to reboot the modem (it doesn't have an on-off switch, so I have to take the plug out and put it back in - I've nearly worn out the socket from doing this so many times) and then release/renew the ip of my computer after the modem is finished rebooting.

I also have cox digital cable tv. What is killing me right now is how often they advertise their high speed internet service. They run commercials for it at least once an hour.

Too bad they don't have the resources to actually support it...

*** June 27, 2001 ***
Here's something curious. When my cable modem was installed, I was using a motherboard with an integrated NIC. I guess motorola surboard modems bond to the NIC you use when installing the service.

When I switched to a new motherboard (epox ruuules!) and a new NIC my cable modem would not connect.

I talked to their tier 2 support, and they had to send out someone to swap out the modem. I asked when the soonest they would come out (I called on a wednesday night) and they guy told me thursday. I cringed, remembering the hell that I went through with DSL, and asked "You mean next thursday?" And he replied " Oh no, tomorrow morning first thing". Happy happy I was.

The cable modem bonding seems a little odd to me. Why would Motorola make a modem that has to be switched out every time you get a new NIC? I guess it bonds to the MAC address of the NIC, but I'm sure there's a way to reprogram the modem other than switching it out. But since Cox came out the next day for free (and they improved my cable reception ) I left it alone.

Lastly, @home got rid of some nice newsgroups like alt.binaries.movies.divx. Ah well, I'm not a pirate or anything. Just sometimes stuff would come up there that I couldn't rent, purchase, or find at my local library. It was nice while it lasted.

*** Original Review ***

You can read through my reviews to see the hell I have gone through with DSL.

I finally gave up after waiting 2 months for my DSL to be reactivated. I called Cox Communication around the 18th of June after getting an offer in the mail for Cox Express.

Cox Express is Cable download and analog modem upload. Its all combined into a Motorola Surflink Cable modem, so its not like you are using an analog modem in your computer to connect for uploads and requests.

Installation was 100% painless. Compared to my original 4 month wait to get my PSN.net/Northpoint SDSL line, it was a walk in the park. 2 weeks after I ordered the line one person came out to my place and got my Cable modem up in under 30 minutes. It would have been less than 2 weeks but I was away on vacation for memorial day .

So far I absolutely love it.

Its 1.5mbps cable download and 33.6k modem upload. Ping times are around 60ms. I'll post more detailed information after I've been using this for a while. For right now I'm getting drunk in celebration of having broadband back =).

The news server sucks. It seems they only keep posts for 24 hours. Downloading dark angel episodes is tricky The email server is down right now. But I don't use POP mail since I move all the time and providers have a nasty habit of going out of business.

DNS was a bit iffy at peak times, but again - I've only had this for a day.

I'll post more in a couple of days. Right now I'm going to go kill some terrorists in CS.

member for 13.8 years, 369 visits, last login: 6.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by F8th See Profile

• Location: Rocky Hill,Hartford,CT
Good "ummmm..............hmm.....sigh"
Bad "EVERYTHING (since the transition)"
Overall "don't bother with COX"

I know this isn't an express review.....When I first got COX@Home it was wonderfull. Since they dropped the @Home the speed had dropped drastically. It went from 3027 (almost constant speed) to a variety from 1300 to 2200. Not to mention, I have SEVERE packet loss. Of course everyone at COX says my line is perfect. Needless to say I am more than just unhappy, I am downright angry. When my stutters happen, they just don't happen for a second, I lose all connection for anywhere up to a minute (most times a minute or so). It happens quite often too, average of 70 or so times a day. The tech person told me it is due to the "seamless" changeover of service and that my line should be better than ever "just give it a week or two...". If my line doesn't at least clear the packet loss up in a week im goin back to DSL; it was slower, but at least it was constant. Transition= Tech support wait time /1.5 hours, Speeds /1000kbs less, Packet loss /30second drop every 2minutes. What am I paying for anyway?

Comments:

Review by dazdnconfusd See Profile

• Location: Arabi,Saint Bernard,LA
Good "It's fast"
Bad "No bad points lately"
Overall "It's fast and reliable"

Well the service was real good as far as them getting me connected. When I first tweeked my computer is was at 48 x faster then 56k dial up, which is what I had. Then the problems started after the dreaded switch. I was only two times faster then 56k. I talked to several techs and they all blamed it on the server. They said it would be a couple of days then a couple of more days then a couple...well you get the picture. I couldn't get my e-mail set up because they said that i had the wrong log on name or wrong password. Finally I got a tech on the phone and he took care of that in 30 minutes. Tonight I tried the new on line tech support and they told me the very first thing I should have done was to unplug my modem wait at least 30 seconds and plug it back in and reboot. I did that and now I am running at 33 times faster then 56k. Not where I would like it to be but better then it was. The modem that I bought is a Toshiba PCX1100U

I believe all of the bugs are out of it and it's good to go

updated July 18, 2004