Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by Slacker44 See Profile

• Location: Gilbert,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Perfect installation and speeds"
Bad "confusing initial login"
Overall "Best value period"

I checked my mail and was happy to see that 2-way cox@home was available in my area. 1-way cox has been available for a while but I really wasn't interested in 1-way cable. I called cox on the 3rd of September and they said the first available appointment for intall was the 13th of September between 1 and 5 P.M.. On September 12th I recieved a phonecall confirming my order and intallation time. At 4 P.M. on September 13th, cox arrived for install. After an hour of installation everything was set up and working. I recieved an install packet and paperwork. Everything was going very smooth. The installer will not log you onto cox@home. He just left me a bunch of passwords and user names and left. After reading the instructions in the manual I then installed the CD that they gave me and starting punching in numbers and passwords that were givin to me by the tech. I finally got stuck and had to call tech support. I got through in less than a minute with a tech and was very pleased. The first words out of him mouth were basically "You didn't use the CD did you?" I was unaware that all I had to do was open up a browser and put in my username and password.. The browser will automatically goto the cox@home login screen after initial connection. Why in the heck would they give me an install booklet and a CD if I am not supposed to use it??? The solution was simple and I was up and running in seconds. I have nothing but great things to say about Cox. Their customer support is unmatched. I have called 4 times to ask some simple questions since the install and I have never been on hold more than 2 minutes waiting for support. The speeds are excellent and I have no complaints so far. It was worth the years of waiting for Cox to finally come to my city

member for 12.9 years, 1171 visits, last login: 6.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by sandman702 See Profile

• Location: Las Vegas,Clark,NV
Good "FASTEST THE CITY OF LAS VEGAS HAS TO OFFER AT A GOOD PRICE"
Bad "NOTHING MAJOR TO SPEAK OF"
Overall "GOOD SERVICE- I'M HAPPY"

Got a good deal that I could pass up. Im glad I chose to order this service.

Comments:

Review by Nickelroad1 See Profile

• Location: Conroe,Montgomery,TX
Good "none"
Bad "it really sucks"
Overall "dont buy it"

i had Cox Cable for a while and had nothing but trouble. The tech's knew nothing about broadband much less about computers.

Comments:

Review by PflugerBird See Profile

• Location: Pflugerville,Travis,TX
Good "Great customer/tech service -- fast as a speeding bullet!"
Bad "Everyone in my neighborhood's gonna get on and muck it up."
Overall "You gotta get it! Can't beat the price -- Whiz Bang It's Fast!"

I've been on since January -- day or night...weekday or weekend I consistantly get 300-600 down and 120-175 up! Clean wiring with as direct a path as possible from service entrance to computer is critical. Also have 4 tv's hooked up to the cable service -- no problems. Minor outage during week of 8/21-8/23 due to conversion from analog to digital cable service.

Comments:

Review by jimmy101 See Profile

• Location: Las Vegas,Clark,NV
Good "none"
Bad "all"
Overall "they suck!"

Service stinks for cox in Las Vegas, they contract out to some idiots who know
nothing about cable or computers. Installation is a rip off, and they don't offer
self-installation. Their network is always down. Poor customer service, always
pointing the finger at the internet or contractor or code red excuses nowadays.
Contractors blame cox, no solution or credit for outtages either way.
I only get 10% of my advertized upload speeds!

Comments:

Review by brad34471 See Profile

• Location: Ocala,Marion,FL
Good "Extremely Fast !, Great Install - Fixed my television reception"
Overall "Better than DSL in the Ocala Area"

Just replaced Sprint / Earthlink ADSL with Cox Express cable modem service. Cox Express offers three times the speed for about ten dollars less per month. Installation was great...on time and while installing my modem, they improved my television reception by boosting the signal and replacing some of my crimped "F" connectors.

After a great installation, the speed is almost always greater than the advertised 1500Kbps. This is a welcome change from my Sprint/Earthlink ADSL where I could never get above 430Kbps on a 512Kbps advertised service. They have a good support web site with technical data and a speed test between me and the local server using a 10Mb file (the best way to evaluate connection speed). Cox Express does not currently offer a POP server for email, but does offer an SMTP server for sending email. Fortunately, a POP server is free from YAHOO, and Cox provides instructions to configure mail programs. A news server is also not provided, again Cox Express web site lists no charge services.

Service is on a month to month basis and I am renting the modem for ten dollars. Several packages were available to include digital cable television with the Cox Express service.

member for 12.8 years, 623 visits, last login: 4.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by guruck See Profile

• Location: Las Vegas,Clark,NV
Good "Good customer service, speeds not bad."
Bad "Service levels are over priced."
Overall "Reliable speeds and connection."

I have been using Cox Express in Las Vegas for 6 months now. I heard Sprint DSL was really slow out here and also I wasnt able to get it (too far from the box). I ordered 1.5MB/128KB from Cox with a static ip, since I was going to be running web servers and such. They came out the first day and said they had to go back and get another modem because they brought the Docsis and you have to have the COM21 modem if you have a static ip. They came out the next day and dropped off the modem and ran a cable wire to my pc. I did the self install since I am pretty knowlagable. I was getting up to 172KB downloads and 16K uploads. The download was awesome I was real happy with it. But 16K upload is not enough for my web server etc. So I had to change to level 200 which is 1MB/256K up and I split it to 512K/512K. I am now getting 62K downloads which I hate and 40K uploads which is good. I am happy with the upload speed but not the download. By the way level 200 cost me 94.95$ a month PLUS my 10$ static ip. Cox is way too pricey. Someone I know is on Optimum Online in NJ, and he gets like 1.5MB down and uploads at 130KB/sec for $39 a month!!! I would be happy if I chould get 1MB/512K for the same price. Anyway thats it. Check out my site: »www.gurusonline.com.

member for 12.7 years, 31 visits, last login: 12.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by jerryjosh See Profile

• Location: Conroe,Montgomery,TX
Good "Very seldom any downtime"
Bad "New to this area and techs are just learning"
Overall "Once my cables in the attic were replaced things have been great"

I was a Beta-Tester in Conroe, Texas and things got off to a bad start. The techs were just learning and they had trouble getting my speed up to where it should be. Once they figured it out things have been great and very dependable for some time now.

Comments:

Review by kenn0 See Profile

• Location: Bossier City,Bossier,LA
Good "Speed, Ease of installation, Reliability"
Bad "Receiving information, Cooridination"
Overall "Once I got it, I love it. Doing very good so far."

The speed and ease of installation was great. It has also been very reliable so far. This service is new to the area and you can tell that the personnel at the Cox office was new at handling the order. It was difficult talking to the woman taking my order. She didn't know the lingo very well. I had a problem accessing my email. The username was not the username I requested but included .cox-internet.com as part of the username which is not mentioned anywhere. When I called Tech support, I was on hold for a while but once I talked to the tech, he told me how to resolve my username issue. Granted it wasn't a big deal problem but he did answer my problem quickly. Pre-sales consisted of me emailing the Cox contact person listed on their web site and asking about the service. I was originally told it would be available at the end of Feb. but it wasn't. I checked back a week ago to find out that it was now available. Haven't seen it advertised anywhere though. Overall, a very good experience with a few minor bumps.

Comments:

Review by jreina See Profile

• Location: Nacogdoches,Nacogdoches,TX
Good "Extremely high speed which is failry constant."
Bad "Long down times (>3 hours) every few weeks."
Overall "Great bargain for the money."

I have had Cox Express for around 2 months now, and of course going from 56k to Cable is a shock in itself. I was rather disappointed in the time it took the contractors to finally ready my complex for digital (almost a month) but when they finally got it done, they called me that day, I got my equipment on my one hour lunch break and was up and running before it was time to get back to work.

The equipment (Toshiba) is great and reliable and seems to work well with the system. I plan on buying a new 3com to avoid the $10 rental charge and I hope it supports Cox's DOCSIS system.

Overall, I am very satisfied with Cox, it is a great bargain for the money for sure and with the way things are going now, I won't be changing providers.