Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by pbennett See Profile

• Location: Scottsdale,Maricopa,AZ
Good "The kit came in the mail and I was able to get the service set up by myself"
Bad "I couldn't log into the customer service to check additional email accounts - also, speed seems to be down"
Overall "They are still faster overall than DSL, at this point, but we'll have to wait and see for how long!"

I was just changed from the @home service to "cox.net" and while it was overall a smooth transition, there were some glitches in the process.

Also, the speed is not the same as it was, either they just don't have the backbone that @home did, or there are more users than before. I use the service during the day primarily, and I used to get fast, really fast downloads.

Let's see what happens as they continue to roll the service out.

member for 13.7 years, 39 visits, last login: 12.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by Fiberoptic23 See Profile

• Location: Harrison,Boone,AR
Good "Good download speeds, good ping"
Bad "slow upload"
Overall "Regular cable modem, worth the extra from 56k"

I think Cox Communications cable modem is worth the extra you pay over 56k, its like 10x better, and only like 10$ more.

Comments:

Review by Caveman0311 See Profile

• Location: Chesapeake,Chesapeake City,VA
Good "Seamless transition...did not know until I ran a traceroute"
Bad "None at present"
Overall "Very impressed with truly"

*** THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE COX.NET TRANSITION *** Chesapeake, VA

I got my conversion kit in the mail last night and manually configured my system by only entering my confirmation code, and double-checking my network settings. Did not bother configuring any email browser as the new webmail.cox.net works very well. At this point I was still on the @Home backbone. Got home this evening and while tracing the route to an address my firewall blocked, noticed I had been switched overnight to the Cox.net backbone. So far I am very happy to announce that so far this has not turned into the nightmare transition that some of the other ISP subscribers have been going through. My speeds have even increased about 300Kbps, and it is 8:50PM!!! Supposedly most or all of the people in this city were transitioned last night so I do not have to worry about the system in this area slowing down. I am interested to know how my neighbors in VA Beach, Portsmouth, Newport News, and Hampton are doing! Price: $34.95/mo (without renting modem). IP: truly dynamic IP (has changed atleast twice today where it was the same since I had ordered the service previously on the @Home network).

Comments:

Review by Koriebeth See Profile

• Location: Haughton,Bossier,LA
Good "It's faster than connecting at 28k"
Bad "Bad communication with office staff.(not tech support staff)"
Overall "Cox is the only choice I have for high speed internet access."

I started getting cox express internet service in Nov. I got a coupon in the mail for the Cox Express etc. When I called the office, like I have every 2 weeks since August when the technician working in our area told me I was "cable internet ready", she once again told me it was unavailiable. I had to explain about the coupon and then after she ask someone else I finally got the answer I was waiting for. The price, $39.95, which included a $10 modem rental. I acquired my own modem to cut the monthly cost to $29.95 (goes up to 34.95 in January I hear but nothing official from Cox) Took them all day to get my modem ready, took less than 10 min for them to actually do. Technical support has been able to answer most questions & they are very helpful. I have had to have a tech come to my house once and they did that fairly quickly. I have had the cable internet service about 1 month and still when I call their main office they tell me the internet service is not availiable in my area. I don't understand this.?!

Speeds are around 900/80, but no one at the office or the technician that came to my house can tell me what the speeds are supposed to be.

Comments:

Review by xsive1 See Profile

• Location: Tempe,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Low cost, fast download"
Bad "Slow upload, customer service questionable at times"
Overall "If you want fast downloads w/ a low price this is it. With a catch of course"

Have had Cox@home express for a few months now. Overall i am satisfied with the service. Everything was up and running within a week of me placing my order. Price was 19.95 for express service if you buy modem. Average download speeds are 150k/sec. Do reach 300k/sec at times. Make sure you visit tweak forum, I was only getting about 50k/sec before tweaking. Outages are rare contrary to what I have been told. If you upload a lot, the express service is not for you. Customer service w/ cox has been ok. It defiently helps if you have some computer knowledge. It's kind of scrary thinking the help they offer if you don't know what's going on. The more detailed and knowledgeable you are about the problem, the smoother the customer service is. I say this because I am going through a problem w/ their mail servers and they don't know what to do. Furstrating. Overall, I get good download speeds for 19.95 a month. That's enough for me to overlook the customer service experience. I will probably switch to DSL though in the future, more cost but worth the increase speed and relability, at least for me.

member for 12.9 years, 100 visits, last login: 9.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by LiLwayneCOX See Profile

• Location: Lafayette,Lafayette,LA
Good "Fast,really good for the money, and it's far better than old dialup."
Bad "It goes off like once a day but I believe that's because they're still testing my lines."
Overall "WHEN ITS ON ( MOST OF THE TIME ) IM IN BROADBAND HEAVEN."

I ordered the cox 1024k/128k pkg at 30$ ( would be 40 if i rented the modem ) on Monday, October the 8th and they were in the middle of switching from the 1-eay modem to the 2-way modem.I was scheduled to be able to get it on October the 22nd. I learned that I would be able to get it quicker, it would be overall cheaper,and probably faster in connection, if i just went out and bought a modem myself. Well i went out and bought a Motorolla Surfboard SB4100 and called up cox the night of the 15th ( main office, tyler texas ). They said they would be able to do it for me, i gave them the mac and they said it would be up in about an hour. 2 hours later all 4 lights were flashing. I was so excited it was like a dream come true. I zoomed online gettins speeds of 1010k down 120k up.The next morning it went off i called em up and they refreshed, it was on again. Did that bout three more times but i think they are still testing my lines.I am running on a dynamic iP i think? Anyways to sum it all uP, if u can get cox express, GET IT!

member for 12.8 years, 24 visits, last login: 12.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by matross03

• Location: Gainesville,Alachua,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
  • CLEC party:
Good "speed!!!!!!! trouble free installation, lets customers use their own DOCSIS modems if prefered, no contract"
Bad "yet to find it"
Overall "great cost and value considering other options"

Cox Communications is currently offering it's Cox Express Cable modem
service to its customers of both Gainesville and Ocala. Cox has made its
offer even more attractive as offering it as a stand alone service or
"packaged" with it's new digital cable line up. For most customers in
the area, the cost of the service with plain analog T.V. can be equal or
more expensive than one of the "package" deals.

For customers in the area with DSL service from either Telocity or
Bellsouth plus the standard analog cable T.V., the "package deal" can
offer savings of $20/ month or more if they were purchased separately,
plus the customer will reap the benefits of all the additional digital
cable listings.

This reviewer switched from Telocity (DirectDSL), where he would only
receive speeds of about 400Kbp. He has consistantly received speeds of >
650kbp with the CoxExpress service and utilizing a Com21 CP3001 modem.
While offering no E mail, Cox express does have an outgoing SMTP server
and allows it's users to configure their E mails accordingly. (Hotmail,
Yahoo, etc, or if desired retaining their host ISP). What Cox Express
does lack is a newgroup server, but again, if people so desire, there
are plenty of services available for those willing to fork out
additional cash to access groups.

Cost is a big plus for Cox as well. Whereas the DSL's are averaging ~
$50, the CoxExpress "package...cable modem service, plus over 109 cable
channels with 1 premium tier and digital music is only ~$76. (Or when
one subtracts the price of standard analog cable T.V. is comes out to
$33/month, quite a bargain.)

The service technical support is adaquate, as is the installation.
This reviewer would highly recommend it.

(review was emailed from domain sprintmail.com)

Comments:

Review by blazejackson69 See Profile

• Location: San Diego,San Diego,CA
Good "Download speed off peak hours"
Bad "Upload speed never even reaches 30kbs, Loss of service for hours a few times a week, Peak hour traffic is snail slow !!"
Overall "No wonder @home is going bankrupt, if you live in San Diego advoid @home."

They promised me up to 3 mbs download speed and up to 200 kbs upload
speed. I never even got 1\5th of that. The level 2 customer service said I was s.o.l. because I was running windows xp, and he wouldn't solve my problem for that reason.

Comments:

Review by Slacker44 See Profile

• Location: Gilbert,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Perfect installation and speeds"
Bad "confusing initial login"
Overall "Best value period"

I checked my mail and was happy to see that 2-way cox@home was available in my area. 1-way cox has been available for a while but I really wasn't interested in 1-way cable. I called cox on the 3rd of September and they said the first available appointment for intall was the 13th of September between 1 and 5 P.M.. On September 12th I recieved a phonecall confirming my order and intallation time. At 4 P.M. on September 13th, cox arrived for install. After an hour of installation everything was set up and working. I recieved an install packet and paperwork. Everything was going very smooth. The installer will not log you onto cox@home. He just left me a bunch of passwords and user names and left. After reading the instructions in the manual I then installed the CD that they gave me and starting punching in numbers and passwords that were givin to me by the tech. I finally got stuck and had to call tech support. I got through in less than a minute with a tech and was very pleased. The first words out of him mouth were basically "You didn't use the CD did you?" I was unaware that all I had to do was open up a browser and put in my username and password.. The browser will automatically goto the cox@home login screen after initial connection. Why in the heck would they give me an install booklet and a CD if I am not supposed to use it??? The solution was simple and I was up and running in seconds. I have nothing but great things to say about Cox. Their customer support is unmatched. I have called 4 times to ask some simple questions since the install and I have never been on hold more than 2 minutes waiting for support. The speeds are excellent and I have no complaints so far. It was worth the years of waiting for Cox to finally come to my city

member for 13.2 years, 1171 visits, last login: 6.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by sandman702 See Profile

• Location: Las Vegas,Clark,NV
Good "FASTEST THE CITY OF LAS VEGAS HAS TO OFFER AT A GOOD PRICE"
Bad "NOTHING MAJOR TO SPEAK OF"
Overall "GOOD SERVICE- I'M HAPPY"

Got a good deal that I could pass up. Im glad I chose to order this service.