Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by tsoyka See Profile

• Location: Yorktown,York,VA
Good "one phone call and 4 days is all it took, but they claim up to 100Mb (yes one hundred Mb) download speed and 10M upload"
Bad "not quite what I am paying for...less than 100Mb speeds, and the TV service is HORABLE!"
Overall "drop all of their services except internet, and watch TV online."

100/10Mb UPload/Download speeds, and basic cable with HBO and Epix. but the TV sucks, and The only time I get near 100Mb download speeds is when I have tech support on the phone. over all their internet is not Fios, but it is the next best thing, and cheaper too...

Comments:

Review by dlarkin_dc See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Fairfax,VA
Good "Internet speeds stable and consistely close to plan limit."
Bad "Personable but ineffective tech support, poor DTV quality (dropped after 1 year)"
Overall "Okay for Internet."

·VOIPO
UPDATE 1/24/2015

Been on Cox Preferred internet plan for 12 years. The speed is now 50/5mbps. In tests I see a very steady 43mbps. The reliability of internet is great, outages are extremely rare... only two on the last 12 years. The speed and low latency makes for great streaming, Netflix HD (8.3mbps), VUDU HDX, Amazon HD never have an issue and should be capable of streaming 4K/UHD.

The Preferred plan data cap has been dropped from 300Gb to 250Gb, though I rarely go much over 50% despite streaming 90% of my TV viewing.

I can't say it's been all rosy with Cox e-mail service. That's been a roller coaster ride the last year, with outages, login problems, and e-mails delayed. It's flaky/patchy and I'm not happy with it - though it's never been a critical issue either. There's ongoing threads about these e-mail issues in the Cox HSI forum, but it's long past due being resolved by Cox.

UPDATE 6/2/13

Been seeing Netflix Super HD on our devices and (after Neflix fixed some glitches) that has been working fine.

Also, about that free McAfee software... I've dropped it for AVG after McAfee let bad virus in and I found four others after rebuilding my OS.

UPDATE 4/11/13

Just received a price hike on the internet, an extra $4 / month. I'm still on Preferred listed as 15/2 (SpeedTest.net usually tests 17-20/3 over the last few years) and I've never had bandwidth issues, even streaming Vudu HDX.

UPDATE 1/31/2011

Dropped all television from my plan today and keeping the internet service only.

Why? Two reasons:
(1.) Picture/Sound Quality - I was fed up with the picture and sound quality issues due to compression and distribution problems. Shows from streamed or by antenna have crisp and clear picture and sound quality.
(2.) "57 channels and nothing on" Syndrome. Well, maybe 300 plus channels, but we watch a handful of shows a week. All but two are available OTA, the others are streamed online free or 99c an episode.

So that I guess that takes me to a 3rd reason...
(3) I'll be cutting $82 from my bill, a cost I don't need for my television viewing habits.

No regrets. In fact, I'm excited to be seeing shows clean and clear again, for free.

UPDATE 11/8/2010

A month after finally getting a real body (a tech with a face, name and cell#) assigned to the ongoing PQ issues... nothing has been improved. In four weeks only one frequency/channel has been addressed and so far without improvement. All other channels are still experiencing minor but annoying problems.

As I now know how Cox address these issues, on a per channel/frequency basis, I am keeping a log of the channel/frequencies and PQ issues when they appear... six regular offenders and counting. l'll be a lot older and greyer before this is resolved at the rate Cox gets things done. My tech told me he escalated internally and suddenly things happened. That it had to get to that stage is a sad reflection on Cox field service/response in my area.

Simply put, there appears to be a significant distribution problem in my neighborhood for HD DTV services from Cox.

I expect I'll be switching to FiOS, or a combination of OTA/ClearQAM/IPtv in the next couple of months to get better PQ and save money to boot!

The internet has never been to problematic, so I'll probably keep that.

UPDATE 9/26/2010

It's been a few weeks since the last tech visit, so far ABC/NBC/Fox and major network stations are always fine but I am seeing infrequent snow/microblocks on every other channel at any time of the day or week. The Wed to Sat picture quality degrading is just as bad but non-network stations, BBC/SyFy/WDC are horrible. The way-out-wacky jitter seems to have gone too, better for my VOIP.

I expect I'm seeing a band-aid solution to local newtork load/congestion. Or maybe the change is the neighbors migrating to fiber

I've shaved my ratings back to reflect the current situation.

UPDATE 9/15/2010

On the internet I am seeing the same performance now for months, and it is acceptable, with a few caveats. Occasionally the DNS goes offline, I'm getting outrageous jitter so it's affecting my VOIP.

Worse still my DTV service is prone to breakups and freeze-ups on Wednesday through Saturday, 9am to midnight. The tech support has gotten very poor, a tech came out to my house said everything was perfect, but snipped off and remade every connection and then blamed the model of my STB. He said Cox didn't have any replacements but he'd get one for me when he could. So what... leaving me with unwatchable TV four days out of seven? Tech support on the phone will only reset by STB, and that does no good.

The service I'm paying for has gone from, "Eh, but I can live with it." in December to, "I am so ready to switch to FIOS." in the last three months.

UPDATE 3/26/2010

Seems like the spotty performance is gone, and I'm now bonding 3 channels. Whenever I test I'm usually seeing data rates about 11/3 (the plan is up to 12/5) so it's carrying Skype and VOIP without any problems.

Calls to Cox... I still get some great phone staff on the phone, clear talking, helpful, great attitude, but the grouches are taking over 2:1, IME.
Call wait times have been getting longer too.

I have added digital cable TV to my plan 3 months ago. That review is still in progress... oh, so not smooth sailing.

UPDATE 1/22/2010

In the new year I upgraded my modem to Surfboard 6120 and I'm seeing two channels bonded. Initially I saw snappier loading of web pages and large downloads are quicker. But,over the few weeks I have been seeing the up/downstream signal levels and SNRs drift about, sometimes close to acceptable limits. Sometimes I get nothing when a page should load and spotty performance. I am keeping an eye on this.

UPDATE December 2009

Having called in to verify the costs, to compare to FiOS, for digital TV Cox offered same cost as I was at gateway, 2 tiers and a HD DVR. I snapped up that deal and took the plunge. So far the picture quality has varied wildly and the DVR performance is barely adequate. I'll post a full digtial television review when I'm done figuring it all out.

ORIGINAL REVIEW

Been a COX HSI customer for close to six years... I picked up a modem/service pack (a Motorola Surfboard and 50ft of co-axial cable) at Circuit City. I just hooked it up at home, phoned Cox to activate the service and I've been online almost non-stop since - we've only had two short outages!

FYI - We're on our second Surfboard now, they do have a lifespan.

The COX support people are friendly but the tech support is best when guided by a geek (me, in this case) who knows what needs to be fixed otherwise you'll be chasing down blind alleys, but all tech support has gone that way it seems.

I think, when I started using COX HSI, the speeds were 5/2. COX always upgraded the speeds for consumers as the higher speeds became available. The currently cited speeds are up to 12/5 and that is what we usually see using Speedtest.net

The McAfee VirusScan Suite that you can get free as COX HSI subscriber is worth about $50 in software and $20/yr in virus scan updates.

I get the HSI bundled with the cable analog TV service from COX and the cost of the combination is begining to be be uncompetitive, at $103/mo. For a little more I can get Verizon Extreme HD and 50/20.

Comments:

Review by Metal Head See Profile

• Location: Escondido,San Diego,CA
Good "Great Speeds and Reliability"
Overall "Beats the hell out of DSL!"

Somehow when we placed our order online the Fast Connect Kit did not get shipped to us. We then called Cox a few days after our kit was to arrive and they said the kit would be here in a few days, but again the kit never arrived. So to make a long story short the kit finally arrives almost two weeks late.

I have only been using COX HSI since July 06, and so far I'm very satisfied with the service, the connection has been rock solid and with the upgrades we have been getting lately it's all that much better.

We had just migrated over from DSL, and with the distance from the CO., our fragile copper lines that could barley hold a 1.5/384 sync, I could not be any happier with Cox cable.

As for the service, we are on the preferred package 9/768 and are getting slightly above our advertised speeds.

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::
Download Connection is:: 11735 Kbps about 11.74 Mbps (tested with 12288 kB)
Download Speed is:: 1432 kB/s
Upload Connection is:: 1351 Kbps about 1.4 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)
Upload Speed is:: 165 kB/s
Tested From:: »testmy.net (Main)
Test Time:: 2008/07/16 - 11:10am
D-Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-985QPW4AD
U-Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-7092FGTXL
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.16) Gecko/20080702 Firefox/2.0.0.16 [!]

***************************** UPDATE July 16 2008 ************************************

We have had our service for 2 years now and couldn't be happier with the overall service. The speeds have been rock solid and the connection has been very reliable.

*****************************UPDATE Feb. 25 2010***************************

The connection is still rock solid and were getting slightly above our advertised speeds on the preferred tier which was just upgraded from 10/768 to 12/1.5

***************************UPDATE Feb. 20 2013**************************************

Our connection still has been rock solid and our speed on preferred has been increased to 18/2 and we are getting slightly above the speed on the speed tests.

*************************Update October 30 2013***********************************

Our connection has been rock solid with one exception of packet loss in our neighborhood since my last update. The Cox people were on the problem and it was solved in a few days. We also just receive a upgrade in speed from 18/2 to 25/5.

********************************Update January 2015********************************

In October 2014 we got an upgrade in speed to 50/5 on our preferred package.

member for 14 years, 6484 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Jonasjlp See Profile

• Location: Broken Arrow,Tulsa,OK
Good "Better then DSL"
Bad "Not as good as FiOS"
Overall "It's my only choice, works ok"

My main grip is the wifi. I just use the wireless modem/router i ordered from Cox thinking it would be a good enough signal for a 1000sq ft apartment. It's not. It's actually terrible. Router is in the living room in the center of the apartment. Connectivity in the bedrooms is terrible and frequently not available at all.

member for 3.6 years, 178 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bokamba See Profile

• Location: Falls Church,Fairfax,VA
Good "Stable connection, installation was quick"
Bad "Slower than advertised, returning rented modem was inconvenient"
Overall "Not terrible, but not a great value"

Update, 1/11/15: After getting a new wireless router, I can now state with confidence that we're not getting the 50 Mbps we are paying for (tests consistently land at around 35 Mbps or lower). Disappointing!

Update, 9/29/14: The $30/month promotion mentioned below expired after one year. Since then, the download speed has been raised to 50 Mbps (though I am not sure my connection is actually that fast, I'm getting at least 20 Mbps). The "standard" price for my Internet-only service is now $60/month, but I called and threatened to cancel, and got it lowered to $42/month for the next 12 months. Other than that, everything in the original review remains true.

Original review from 2013: Cox offers residents of my apartment complex a $30/month Internet-only deal (15 Mbps down/5 up). I think it's a lower price than I'd otherwise get in this area. It's month-to-month, which I appreciate, since I didn't want to commit to a long-term contract.

Installation was quick and professional. I initially used the all-in-one modem-router-WAP provided by Cox, but decided to buy my own cable modem and save the $7/month modem rental (which is in addition to the monthly fee). Returning the rented modem was inconvenient because I had to return it to Cox's showroom, which was inconveniently located.

The connection is very stable and fast enough for my needs (Web, gaming, high-def online video). I haven't done thorough speed tests, though.

As with most ISPs, Cox's default DNS servers redirect mistyped URLs to pages of ads. But they also have normal DNS servers you can use.

Comments:

Anonguy

@cox.net

Do you have a Docsis 3 modem.

You need a Docsis modem to get 50mbps.

What model modem do you have?
Jonasjlp

join:2011-06-22
Downingtown, PA

Re: Do you have a Docsis 3 modem.

Do you have problems with wifi connectivity? I seem to have problems on all devices when i'm not within 20ft or if there is a wall in the way.

Review by rmoonin See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "Very fast and reliable"
Bad "It is expensive"
Overall "For business applications it is good"

I link my New Jersey office which has FIOS with my Nevada office which has COX HSI. Fios is running 25 up and down. Cox is running 50 down and around 8 up. The cost of around $120 is about the same. Yes this is very expensive but when your livelihood (accounting business) depends upon it then you bite the bullet and pay for it. I cannot see much of a difference between the two although I prefer FIOS as the throughput seems faster on the Verizon network. I wish we has fiber to the curb but that is generally only available at the Las Vegas casinos. There has been virtually no downtime on Cox. Installation was fast and professional. In the long run it has helped the business since I am able to access large tax files without any problems. Videocam between the two offices is not perfect but acceptable.

I am updating my review of Cox. For several reasons I upgraded to their Ultimate service. It is expensive but they are the only game in town offering 150 speed. Tech support is excellent. Installer was top notch. Reliability which is super important is there. Sure I have had to reboot the modem a few times but that is no big deal. I am waiting to see how fast Century Link will bring 1 gig speed over to Henderson,Nevada. Competition is good for everyone

My office in NJ uses Verizon FIOS and here in Las Vegas we continue to use Cox Ultimate. We have been using a standard service like gotomypc.com. The quality and ping of the connection is excellent. Virtually no downtime with Cox. Once in a while I have to restart the modem but that is done when updating Windows products. No big deal. Essentially you get what you pay for.

If you have to link offices you really need to at least 50 at both ends. Both Cox and FIOS are good companies and you get what you pay for. You are not going to get high speeds for $40 bucks a month. Running a business requires an expenditure for quality internet service and quality computers at both ends. You spend money to make money.

Comments:
rmoonin

join:2000-08-05
Newtown, PA
·Cox HSI

Update on Cox

I use Cox Ultimate service and it has been a pleasure dealing with the. Speeds hit 180 which is terrific. I link my Nevada office and New Jersey office. Unfortunately in NJ I have to deal with Comcast which is horrible and have to contend with lower speeds and more importantly unreliability by Comcast. Yes it is expensive but when you are working with large data files you need that speed. Computer equipment is state of the art but in a commercial environment you do not cut corners. Cox tech support is excellent and I rarely have issues with them.
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Trace route

Would be interesting to see the trace route path between the two offices.. See where you data goes.

Review by mcd8595 See Profile

• Location: Fairfax,Fairfax City,VA
Good "The connection is typically available (got signal)"
Bad "The connection speed is highly variable"
Overall "Slower than expected for most of the day"

Have had this service for over 7 years. The ping tests three years ago averaged ~30 ms latency and the speed was reasonably consistent. Today the same ping tests are showing an average latency is 56ms using the same DSL Reports ping test. Two Thirds of that latency is inside of the COX network.

Bottom line is that my 15mb/5mb service has often given me 2mb/1mb service. For the most part it has been unusable during peak periods (pretty much all day).

Tech support is no help, they continue to report that there is no trouble in the network and the difficulties must be with my equipment. When I check the network from a different pop, (off the cox network), same result. The Cox network has lots of latency.

Ran a speed test, from this site, here are the results (rated speed is 15/5):

User's DNS: cox.net
Compared to the average of 175 tests from cox.net:
* download is 73% worse, upload is 50% better

Update 2/13/2012

Verizon was offering FIOS static ip w/ telephone for $110/ mo. Got it installed after several trials and tribulations 04 January. Got the first bill two weeks later for $170.00 for just telephone service. Called the business office, at least three times to get the billing adjusted down down to $74.00 for two weeks of service. Each time I called they gave me the assurance that this would be corrected for the next billing and that this was just a temporary aberration.

Today 13 February, 2012 I received another billing for the the same FIOS internet/telephone bundle for $210.00 ($100.00 more than expected).

COX may not have been the most robust service available, but they were consistent and the billing was always the same for 10 years! Verizon gives me a new appreciation for their competition. Perhaps it is time to switch back. Considering the cost of service, Cox is a bargain even with lousy tech support and so/so service.

27 December 2014 - Update

My Internet service from Cox was the business class service, fixed IP 15/5. For the last three years the service has been degrading. Other than a slow response from the Internet (slow page load times), my VOIP service was degraded. There were lots of dropouts where the other person could not hear me or I could not hear them. There were times when the call quality was so poor that I had to use a different carrier.

When I called Cox technical support, I would ask if any of the settings had changed, or if there was any issues with the service. They always answered “Nothing has changed, and there are no reported problems with the network. It must be that you have faulty equipment”.

More than once I had discovered that the router address had changed, or the primary DNS server was having issues or there are segments in the Cox network long response times (100 – 1000 ms).

I called to check on the cost of a “better class of service”. Yes I could pay $50.00 more to double my speed, if I signed a contract for 24 months. The early termination fee would be the number of months remaining multiplied by the monthly rate of the service. So if the service did not improve, I would still receive the same level of service for significantly more money for an additional 24 months. Being a good customer for over ten years was worthless, but as a new customer I could have all kinds of discounts and incentives and a promise of great service.

In October I took their advice, I got FIOS and I have not had the same issues since. I only ordered the Internet service, so the billing should be correct. I am still using the same voip service, and I have not experienced the same issues, nor have I experienced the same issues with the Internet response time.

Comments:

Review by smk11 See Profile

• Location: Pensacola,Escambia,FL
Good "Fast depending on time of day"
Bad "Late night maintence knocks connection offline way too much"
Overall "Ridiculously expensive or okay connection"

Sales is absolutely terrible when dealing with them. Your local competition? Cox sales will lie through their teeth about how their connection and service is terrible. It's so bad that it is laughable--and maybe even illegal with the ridiculous exaggerations they make.

Connection speeds are okay but holy crap is it expensive. For the price you would think uptime would be high, well you would be wrong. Maintenance or something happens like clockwork in the early mornings knocking the connection completely offline. It lasts about 2-3 weeks and comes just about every other month.

Overall, so long as you can deal with the early morning outages AND you can get a promotional 12 month rate, Cox is okay. Otherwise, pick something else.

member for 106 days, 71 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:
chuckkk

join:2001-11-10
Warner Robins, GA
·Cox HSI

Cox & outages for maintaince

In Mid GA, the Cox web site will claim that the network is "normal",
even though it's down or limping along. First level and second level tech support varies
from sort of ok to abysmal. Trouble is that it's the only "high speed" game in town.
The other local providers are 10Mbps or less. (Cable, ADSL, etc.)

Review by planet See Profile

• Location: Olmsted Falls,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "All and more"
Bad "None really. I could only gripe that the cost might be lower and the speeds even higher"
Overall "Get it !!!"

Gotta love cable (2003). Promo for first 3 mos., 19.95 a mo. Self install without a hitch. Great speeds 2800/230 and that was 5 yrs ago. Today, the speeds are running about 10000/512 for about the same cost. I've had a good solid connection for 5 yrs. Only lost it a couple times and this may have been related to hardware issues and once when a neighbor cut the underground cable while installing a fence. Tech support has been awesome. Typically answer quickly and are courteous and helpful to the degree possible. The Techs on the Cox forum here at DSL Reports have been extremely helpful. I think as the market continues growing and becomes more competitive, I hope Cox will offer more speed for less price.

Update, 10 years later (2013)....still with Cox. I continue to concur with my comments above. They have the best speeds locally. I have my internet bundled with TV so costs are a little lower. Wish the bundled cost was lower. I have the preferred package which offers 25 down and 5 up. I own my own modem and router. My connection remains rock solid. Only a few times have there been issues.

Update, 1 year later (2014)...still with Cox. They doubled the download speeds so I'm running 50+ Mbps down and 5+ up. I've been locking in prices for 1 or 2 yrs to avoid price hikes. My full cable package is getting pretty pricey. Not sure how I'll deal with the costs as time moves on. I can only think that more itemizing will be needed versus cable packages. I have plenty of channels that come packaged that I don't watch. But I digress since this is a internet review...

member for 13.3 years, 5248 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jchambers28 See Profile

• Location: Alma,Crawford,AR
Good "50/10 service is really fast better than centurylink "
Bad "Not goole fiber expensive for what u get capped installer was a asshole."
Overall "if ur stuck in a centurylink area this is ur only real option. "

I have had service for 3 days not seems to be stable. Good speed 50/10 really fast. I had a installer the was a complete asshole with a bad attitude to go with it. Glad I did the self install option. the service is so far so good.

member for 7.8 years, 4152 visits, last login: a few hours ago