Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by quaker See Profile

• Location: Rocky River,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Nice speed"
Bad "tv service needs to be ala carte"
Overall "great internet service"

11/2/08

just moved into apt next to me all i got to say about moving the service it was painful. First off i told them to turn it on in new place on the 1st which did happen modem fired up and everything was fine. then i get home that night and find out that modem is not connect to internet, i get a install cox page loading up when opening browser ( which errored out so i have to call tech support to get it fixed). so i call tech support man oh man i wanted to kill the automated service worst ever. so i started going through the automated service its saying it can fix it so I'm like OK,start going through the step and come to find out all its doing is very basic stuff which doesn't help me in the first place. so i try to talk to agent press 0 and the automated service is like lets try one more thing keep pressing 0 finally gets me in line for an agent. First off i pay 90 bux a month not to talk to an automated service so give me a choice not throw me into it and say its going to fix my issue. finally get to an agent she told me it my modem still had my old cfg and modem didn't like that so she got the new cfg into the modem hang up and come to realize that i cant get over 50kb/s so i call up again try my best to skip over the automated service get to an agent and he tells me that he has to send a tech out cause of high ping and signal noise.

Ok you would think when they turn on the service for a customer they would test and make sure that the service is up to par on there end. why should moving a service be this difficult when it was working fine earlier in the day and now you tell me you have to come out to fix it. come on now take the extra steps!

also to added about the service routing is horrible box's that are at a datacenter in the US and have decent pings and can barely pull 150kb/s ( doesnt matter the time of day).

3/5/09

cox is getting better added the hd channels to tv cox service really enjoy that, just sucks that you cant just get that with out the sd package or have something like basic channels on sd and hdonly that would be really nice. they keep adding more more hd channels more the better i dont even watch sd channels any more. the internet part is yet to be said. well ask for help in forum and the tech had teh engineer call me and supposly there splitting the node so hopeful this fix the speed issues i have

3/22/09

noticed that me bill went up $45 for internet jeez and still havent split the node i dont know how they can justify that

6/2/09

they finally split the node much much better speeds. also had to cancel there hd service and downgrade to limited basic cause hd was way to expensive $60 for basic and hd. cox needs to work on there tv package most people i know just want hd only channel and not have to have 2 other packages that you dont need( basic,digital service). there customer service has been decent.

06/01/10

Been all quiet on on problem with my service. Speeds during peak times are kinda poor but i can deal with it. Price could be much cheaper... added basic cable service and there trying to push people over to the digital service which is way too expensive and free HD come on now its not free lol it included in the price. i pay around $100 for cable and internet.

11/01/2011

Moved my service and also replaced modem with a docsis 3 modem which is the best thing to have. The moving of service from the internet needs some work,but all in all everything is working and up to speed.

08/04/2012

Internet service is still great, i'm 4x4 on up/dn channel bonding.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2102024632.png

I called a while back to cancel my TV service because it was getting too expensive and was crappy TV programming ( repeats all the time and channels i never watch). When i was talking to the rep they told me about the Cox TV Economy, you don't get any of the sports channels or any of the tuner network channels (tbs,tnt, etc), or bravo ( which my wife wish we still had). Then i got the HD reciever and enjoy all the hd channels i'm able to get. Being that we mainly watch truTV, E!, and history channel most of the time it was a good fit plus reduce my cable bill. I went from $120 to $90.

3/29/2013

I have since remove all tv services in favor of netflix. Tv service we would never watch and the stuff we would was a repeat or just didn't feel like sitting through a crap load of commercials to see a 30 minute program. I also have upgraded my internet package to the next level Premier. So i now pay $65 for internet and $8 for netflix and get to watch what ever i want at any time i want.

06/27/2014

Still with out TV service from cox cable and no plan on going back unless a miracle happens and ala carte is a thing. As far as internet service, its great. Currently i'm locked into price lock contract for 65.99. I haven't had to many issues lately with my internet service and i get my advertised speeds.

member for 12.6 years, 2654 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by coxocala See Profile

• Location: Ocala,Marion,FL
Good "speed"
Bad "customer service"
Overall "better than Centurylink"

Preferred package
Using my own modem

Comments:

Review by m8trix See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Fast"
Bad "none"

Updated text (8/27/2008)

fast 32mb down / 7mb up.

=================================

preferred 31/6

member for 10.6 years, 3810 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Rakeesh See Profile

• Location: Mesa,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Great reliability and speed"
Bad "Tech support are morons"
Overall "Good internet, bad TV"

·Sprint Mobile Br..
EDIT: Just an update (June 21st 2014)

About this time last year I unsubbed to TV entirely. No satellite either. I presently only subscribe to the 50/10 internet tier and it works quite well. The total bill, after all fees and everything, is $59 a month after a 20% discount that lasts an entire year. All things considered, I do believe Cox is ahead of the curve when it comes to ISP reliability and performance. While they aren't a Google Fiber, I do overall feel that the service is worth the price, but this is mainly because in the area I live in, the bar is pretty low.

Should another ISP ever come around, I'll update the review, but for now they're decent so long as you don't subscribe to their TV service. If you MUST have cable TV, I strongly urge you to consider satellite instead.

---Old review follows---

I am on the 27/5mbit package, and the internet connection itself is decent. However, to get a good price you have to bundle with another one of their services.

This is lame because their cable service is downright crappy. If DVRs existed in the 80's, they would closely resemble what cox has now. I think cox just figured "hey, they'll take whatever DVR we give them and won't know the difference" so they just picked the crappiest one they could find.

You'd figure "I could go cablecard and use my own DVR, right?" Well, sort of, but not really. They provide really crappy tuning adapters that are very flaky, so some of your channels can disappear at random. Plus, they blanket flag all channels as copy once, so custom DVR solutions (e.g. HTPC) will be near worthless if your goal is whole home functionality. Most cable providers don't do this, but if you have the misfortune of being with cox...well, I'm sorry.

Also their installers have no idea what the hell they are doing when it comes to cablecards. Had I not been a technically minded person, we never would have gotten them set up proper.

member for 2.8 years, 735 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
kfw

join:2001-11-20
Norman, OK

Cox Cable

The programing is terrible and I hate the 2006 DVR's they give us (with 2008 software). These people think we are idoits. I am fixing unbundle go for DIRECTV. At least I will have a better selections. The way they stack 3 progams and let you record only 2 sucks. COX NEEDS TO UPGRADE THIER EQUIPMENT). Sory I had to get that out.... COX TV = Garbage for progaming I paid good money to watch and have to watch again. It gets boring...
Rob_
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Re: Cox Cable

Agree, just don't expect direct tv to work in a rainstorm. Many people are returning their crappy hardware.

-Rob
Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI

Re: Cox Cable

I used to have directv, never had any issues with rainstorms unless they were REALLY bad, and even then the outage wouldn't last long. You can easily get around that problem by using a bigger dish. Up north (canada) they use 24" dishes just to get a proper signal at all on ku band. Just use one of those down south and you'll never have any problems.

I've had more cable outages with cox than I had with directv. That is, hardly any worth mentioning.

Also, directv and dish both offer VASTLY superior equipment to cox. Cox DVR's have a ridiculously slow user interface and all sorts of bugs. I think they picked the cheapest brand available and just thought "hey, it has the letters DVR, that means they'll love it no matter how much of a POS it really is."
kfw

join:2001-11-20
Norman, OK

Re: Cox Cable

Rakish, Thanks for your comment, my Dad has Direct TV and loves it so much he cut off the cable company providing him with all his services. He uses Radio Internet instead of AT&T DSL that never got fixed...

Local Cox keeps getting more expensive and more of the basic goes into the top set boxes... Cox's choices of DVR are just stupid. I know of technology that reads between the signals to gives your local and expanded services. I am watching cable companies suing these people. If the outcome is good, (we know the cable companies put an enormous amount of money resisting this.) We just might get what we want at a cheaper price. COX raised their prices here again and I am dreading just looking at the bill, much less paying it…
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Hold on.

That's a good deal on the internet.. Hold on when your discount runs out.

Review by Mordac See Profile

• Location: Newington,Hartford,CT
Good "speed and reliability"
Bad "pricey"
Overall "I've been getting good service since it was installed"

I've been getting good service since it was installed. No big issues and "pretty" reliable service.
Update 19 March 2010
I have been getting docsis3 speeds since Jan 2010 and have been pleased with the consistancy. I have had not had one dropped connection and when I did lose my bonded channels a tech was onsite and the problem was corrected within 6 hours.

Only addition is still pleased with speed
It stays consistent and is now getting even faster.
A little pricey but so far it has been worth it.

June 9.2014
Still getting consistent quality and no dropped connections,
upgraded to the Ultimate package to deal with heavier streaming video usage by the family

Comments:

Review by palbri See Profile

• Location: Suffield,Hartford,CT
Good "Pricing"
Bad "Speeds, Modem, Customer Service, you name it."
Overall "Can't compete with Comcast; 15 years behind the standard"

I moved to a new area after having been a Comcast subscriber for almost 20 years. Cox is NOT Comcast. While pricing is competitive and slightly less expensive, the whole experience is underwhelming. I never achieve the rated 25 MB DL speeds and it is worse on wireless: half or slower with constant disconnects (I have changed modems/routers twice and even use an extender, which have also been replaced). Speeds decrease at night if not randomly. I even live in a less populated area. With Comcast, I NEVER had speed issues and even on wi-fi speeds were close to advertised speeds. I have hardwired the Smart TV and Box on Cox and speeds are improved but not stellar.

It appears Cox is where Comcast was 15 years ago: spotty and unreliable with poor Customer Service who can barely help you on the telephone.

Comments:
KnightAR

join:2004-04-22
San Marcos, CA

Post on the Cox forums here

As a fellow Cox costumer, I've once in a while ran into slowness, spotty issues with their service. As a Cox customer for over 20 years I've learned to know what to do when your having service issues. I've had problems over the years, but nothing Cox was not able to fix, and i've went years without issues. My suggestion:

First, Post on the Cox HSI forums on dslreports and have one of the Techs that frequents the forum look into the issue and to help you debug it. (They will ask you to PM them your Mac Address).

Second, If the tech support on the forum does find the issue he may tell you what to tell the people on the phone to fix it, or they may be able to fix it already on their end. If the problem still continues after speaking with a tech on the forum, Call Cox tech support (Press 0 to skip the machine trying to help debug the issue). Have them send out a tech guy to take a look at your line; It could be a single strength issue (they may need to boost the strength, or replace a cable or two). In my opinion, Cox is very helpful if you call and carefully explain the problems.
Artician LLC
Co-Founder
Artician Web Development Studios - »www.artician.net
Artician - Creative Network for Art, Graphic Design, & Photography - »www.artician.com

Hard Harry

join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Re: Post on the Cox forums here

How does Wifi have anything to do with a ISP? Thats your routers fault. And if you think Mb is MB, its no wonder you have to call support so much. Your review wasn't so much a review but a rant which is not very helpful.

rulds2008

@70.181.184.x

Re: Post on the Cox forums here

I don't feel it was a rant he said he was with Comcast witch was 14 years above Cox.. He explain what he was doing to fix it and so on. I feel your trying to Troll him into a negative conversation.
said by Hard Harry:

Review by Dogpatch See Profile

• Location: Harrison,Boone,AR
Good "Faster than Windstream."
Bad "Not nearly as reliable as should be."
Overall "When another high speed competitor arrives - I'm gone."

I have had Cox's Premiere service since the get go and have always had up and down service. Never smooth and steady. Have had service for nearly two years and have had several service calls probably averaging at least 1 per quarter. Techs can never provide a resolution. Have tried gateways from Netgear, Cisco, & different Netgear, all to no avail. I am very frustrated with Cox HSI and can't wait for another option.

Comments:

Review by Renaldok7 See Profile

• Location: Yukon,Canadian,OK
Good "Speeds are at or above what is advertised"
Bad "Field Techs should have more knowledge and a better attitude."
Overall "Not bad considering there isn't any true competition."

I purchased the Ultimate package, Installation was a snap. I am using the Cisco DPQ3212 modem. After a few hiccups and user error on my part service is up and working flawlessly. My only complaint is a lack of thorough troubleshooting by the Field Rep. The CSRs whom I dealt with were knowledgeable and friendly. Overall a 4.5 out of 5.

Comments:

Review by tronester3 See Profile

• Location: Tulsa,Tulsa,OK
Good "Very good download speeds, I get 50mbps down, 10mbps up. Excellent latency as well."
Bad "Pathetic Data usage cap of 300 gigabytes per month."
Overall "Unfortunately they are the best option in Tulsa. Maybe Google will lay fiber."

I've had Cox for several years now. The speeds are a bit better than ATT Uverse from what I've seen. Every once in awhile I will have a connection issue where I will have to reset the cable modem.

Called up their sales as I needed to upgrade from preferred to premiere. Told Saleswoman I was thinking of switching to ATT. Asked what kind of discount I could get. She took off 30 dollars or so from the entire 175 dollar bill. Said that was the best she could do. Then told her to transfer me to the cancellation department. She then said she handled that. She asked if I wanted to cancel service immediately, I said no, set the disconnect date for two weeks from the day in order to have ATT service put in first. She immediately started backpedaling and dropped another 20 dollars off the price. Sketchy that they can lie to customers like that.

No latency issues for online gaming. Pings of sub 40ms are common.

For 25mbps, you will utilize your entire data usage allotment for the month in just under 24 hours assuming you max out your downstream connection. Obviously this isn't typically going to happen.

If you divide out 250 gigabytes over an entire month, your download speed would ACTUALLY be less than 1mbps. Pathetic if you think about it.

****New Review****

Several years later, here I am back to update. I just bought a new docsis 3.0 modem and cut all of my services except premier internet. I have no complaints whatsoever with the speed, which is now 50mbps down and 10mbps up. Low latency as well. What I am mad about are the data caps. My downstream is now double and upstream almost quadruple what they were, yet my data cap has only gone from 250 gigabytes a month to 300. I've already gotten emails from them that I am using too much of their precious bandwidth. They are the only option in town at this speed range (AT&T is 18/2.5 max) and cox knows it. I guess I will continue to stream my 4k netflix and use my online backup and keep getting notices from them until they actually threaten to cancel my account.

Comments:

Review by averagedude See Profile

• Location: Murrieta,Riverside,CA
Good "-"
Bad "-"
Overall "-"

Update: As of the first of Jan 2011, I have moved and I am no longer in Cox territory.