Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by raventai See Profile

• Location: Alachua,Alachua,FL
Good "Fast reliable service, "
Bad "not cheap, "
Overall "the ultimamate pachage in Alachua is fast and reliable everything you want in internet service. "

From spring of 2013 to fall of 2014 we had cox HSI ultimate package in Alachua, price was 99/month, in that 18 months it was down for an afternoon once, and less than a handful of times for a few minutes, one of the most reliable internet services I have ever had.

the provided cisco all in one cable modem/gateway/1gb/s router/wifi was solid, we started with it in the living room and wifi reception in the bedroom at the other end of the house was weak, I moved the modem up high in a central hallway (the modem had holes in the bottom to mount on the wall) and wifi reception was perfect throughout the house and into our small yard reaching about to the street. we had as many as 15 devices on the wifi, between laptops, phones, tablets, streaming boxes/sticks etc, the kids would watch kids shows on netflix in thier rooms on roku's, we had a chromecast in our bedroom and a roku 3 in the living room, on a good day the cable modem could serve 4 HD streams but even on the rare "bad" day two devices could stream video smoothly. the 1gb/s wired connection to our two desktops was more responsive and faster than the wifi as expected,

because of the reliability i had few dealings with customer service, with once exception, we did not have any other form of TV service except streaming video, plus heavy torrent traffic, so monthly we would exceed our data "cap" of 400 GB sometimes as much as a terabyte each month, our bandwidth was never restricted nor was I charged more, I would just get an e-mail asking me to upgrade to a higher package, but I already had the highest package available in my area. I asked customer service about this and they were also at a loss as to why I was receiving these e-mails so I just kept using data as needed,

In fall of 14 we moved and could no longer get cox HSI, of the many cable providers I have had in the past COX has been my favorite, second only to the verizon FIOS fiber optic connection I had in Pasco county.

Recomended

Comments:

Review by nmlobo See Profile

• Location: Yorktown,York,VA
Good "Internet and overall system reliablity"
Overall ""Speeds" greater than advertised"

More than ten years with Cox. Service is excellent, seldom have any problems. The few problems I have experienced were corrected within a timely manner. Internet, as tested on the Cox speed test site and testmynet, are higher than adverstised for my plan. I have never been bothered by the caps, I doubt we use half of what is permitted.

Three televisions, three computers, two ipads, two iphones and a smart frame all share the connection. Like others, I am not happy with the annual - - or sometimes semiannual rate increases. They have, however remained in line with the other local provider.

member for 12.4 years, 2768 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by coxocala See Profile

• Location: Ocala,Marion,FL
Good "speed"
Bad "customer service"
Overall "better than Centurylink"

Preferred package
Using my own modem

member for 277 days, 356 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by silentdisco See Profile

• Location: Surprise,Maricopa,AZ
Good "faster downloads and more reliable uploads compared to an equal cost centurylink plan"
Bad "should have switched later as the difference between preferred and premier for new subscribers is only $10 currently. "
Overall "I had centurylink and switched to cox. for my location, cox has a better internet product at a lower cost!"

Package: Preferred package (50 up/ 10 down) $50 for service and another $9.99 for renting their wifi modem. we also have phone thru cox but not TV (happy directv user for 5+ years). we switched from centurylink because their internet service was not reliable here in Surprise, Arizona. we had the max centurylink internet package (40 down/ 5-10 up IIRC) and frequently hit the download speed but rarely the upload... common uploads were in the .5 to 1 megabit per second range. technicians frequently tried to fix it but couldn't so we switched to cox. we pay less now for faster internet that is more reliable! currently we frequently hit 60 megabits per second down on download speedtests outside of cox's own speedtest.

Install: install and ordering process regarding internet service was fine. in hindsight, I wish they would have told us to to wait because of the current deal for new subscribers and cox's premier plan but cox is a business and I was ready to switch from centurylink so I don't fault them for that. technician that came out was friendly, knowledgeable and polite. only issue with the switch was in regards to our phone service but it wasn't anything cox did or didn't do more so of centurylink dragging their feet in releasing our number so cox could port it. we got our number ported eventually but it took 2 weeks. cox actually gave us a temporary landline number so we (my wife actually) could still use the house phone until our number got ported properly.

Equipment: renting a Netgear CG4500BD which is a dual-band wireless router/modem. I'm somewhat knowledgeable with routers/modems and for a cox provided gateway (Netgear CG4500BD) this works pretty good. We have 3-4 ios devices that are usually connected simultaneously to the gateway wirelessly, a PC hardwired and a PS4 that connects wirelessly for gaming/netflix from time to time and haven't (knock on wood) had any problems with connectivity, speed, gaming or streaming. the dual-band wifi router works admirably on all of our wireless devices. Obviously if you have the time, the knowledge and money buying your own modem and router is better from a maximum performance perspective but at the plan we're on I think you just need something that works consistently. if we upgrade "up" to the next internet plan (premier) I'd probably recommend buying your own modem & router as the cox supplied gateway is very limited to what the user can configure.

Other Thoughts: I have hard time hearing anyone on the phone but a positive to me is everytime I've contacted cox I've spoken with someone who speaks American English (or at least does a good job of faking it). speaking with centurylink was hard because most the time I had a hard time understanding the person I was speaking to as their English was not their native language. I'm happy with cox but we only really have 2 options currently in Surprise, AZ and cox is definitely the better ISP of the two based on quality of product and price. would recommend cox over centurylink as ISP to anyone in Surprise or Sun City area. only regret is we should have switched later as the difference between the preferred and premier package for new subscribers is now only $10 a month more...to switch now it would be $25 a month more

Comments:

Review by butchie See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "great"

After almost 3 years year with Cox, landline, cable tv and internet. Speeds have doubled over the years
approx. 50-60 mb/s downloads, 10-15 mb/s upload
Customer service is great
Wireless is still very strong
cable has everything I need.
One home tech visit for an outside damaged junction. Not bad for three years.

member for 14.2 years, 4924 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

gamer101

@cox.net

Internet

I have had cox 1 yr .. Play lots of games etc.. Constant drops, Lags, bad customer support, At least every other month some one comes out to try and fix and says its our problem.. NO one knows why our internet drops on one computer and only one computer have gone thru 3 of their modems 2 of mine and they always blame it on the modem If Cox wasn't the only provider that supported good enough internet to game I would have switched already !!!!

Review by tsoyka See Profile

• Location: Yorktown,York,VA
Good "one phone call and 4 days is all it took, but they claim up to 100Mb (yes one hundred Mb) download speed and 10M upload"
Bad "not quite what I am paying for...less than 100Mb speeds, and the TV service is HORABLE!"
Overall "drop all of their services except internet, and watch TV online."

100/10Mb UPload/Download speeds, and basic cable with HBO and Epix. but the TV sucks, and The only time I get near 100Mb download speeds is when I have tech support on the phone. over all their internet is not Fios, but it is the next best thing, and cheaper too...

Comments:

Review by dlarkin_dc See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Fairfax,VA
Good "Internet speeds stable and consistely close to plan limit."
Bad "Personable but ineffective tech support, poor DTV quality (dropped after 1 year)"
Overall "Okay for Internet."

·VOIPO
UPDATE 1/24/2015

Been on Cox Preferred internet plan for 12 years. The speed is now 50/5mbps. In tests I see a very steady 43mbps. The reliability of internet is great, outages are extremely rare... only two on the last 12 years. The speed and low latency makes for great streaming, Netflix HD (8.3mbps), VUDU HDX, Amazon HD never have an issue and should be capable of streaming 4K/UHD.

The Preferred plan data cap has been dropped from 300Gb to 250Gb, though I rarely go much over 50% despite streaming 90% of my TV viewing.

I can't say it's been all rosy with Cox e-mail service. That's been a roller coaster ride the last year, with outages, login problems, and e-mails delayed. It's flaky/patchy and I'm not happy with it - though it's never been a critical issue either. There's ongoing threads about these e-mail issues in the Cox HSI forum, but it's long past due being resolved by Cox.

UPDATE 6/2/13

Been seeing Netflix Super HD on our devices and (after Neflix fixed some glitches) that has been working fine.

Also, about that free McAfee software... I've dropped it for AVG after McAfee let bad virus in and I found four others after rebuilding my OS.

UPDATE 4/11/13

Just received a price hike on the internet, an extra $4 / month. I'm still on Preferred listed as 15/2 (SpeedTest.net usually tests 17-20/3 over the last few years) and I've never had bandwidth issues, even streaming Vudu HDX.

UPDATE 1/31/2011

Dropped all television from my plan today and keeping the internet service only.

Why? Two reasons:
(1.) Picture/Sound Quality - I was fed up with the picture and sound quality issues due to compression and distribution problems. Shows from streamed or by antenna have crisp and clear picture and sound quality.
(2.) "57 channels and nothing on" Syndrome. Well, maybe 300 plus channels, but we watch a handful of shows a week. All but two are available OTA, the others are streamed online free or 99c an episode.

So that I guess that takes me to a 3rd reason...
(3) I'll be cutting $82 from my bill, a cost I don't need for my television viewing habits.

No regrets. In fact, I'm excited to be seeing shows clean and clear again, for free.

UPDATE 11/8/2010

A month after finally getting a real body (a tech with a face, name and cell#) assigned to the ongoing PQ issues... nothing has been improved. In four weeks only one frequency/channel has been addressed and so far without improvement. All other channels are still experiencing minor but annoying problems.

As I now know how Cox address these issues, on a per channel/frequency basis, I am keeping a log of the channel/frequencies and PQ issues when they appear... six regular offenders and counting. l'll be a lot older and greyer before this is resolved at the rate Cox gets things done. My tech told me he escalated internally and suddenly things happened. That it had to get to that stage is a sad reflection on Cox field service/response in my area.

Simply put, there appears to be a significant distribution problem in my neighborhood for HD DTV services from Cox.

I expect I'll be switching to FiOS, or a combination of OTA/ClearQAM/IPtv in the next couple of months to get better PQ and save money to boot!

The internet has never been to problematic, so I'll probably keep that.

UPDATE 9/26/2010

It's been a few weeks since the last tech visit, so far ABC/NBC/Fox and major network stations are always fine but I am seeing infrequent snow/microblocks on every other channel at any time of the day or week. The Wed to Sat picture quality degrading is just as bad but non-network stations, BBC/SyFy/WDC are horrible. The way-out-wacky jitter seems to have gone too, better for my VOIP.

I expect I'm seeing a band-aid solution to local newtork load/congestion. Or maybe the change is the neighbors migrating to fiber

I've shaved my ratings back to reflect the current situation.

UPDATE 9/15/2010

On the internet I am seeing the same performance now for months, and it is acceptable, with a few caveats. Occasionally the DNS goes offline, I'm getting outrageous jitter so it's affecting my VOIP.

Worse still my DTV service is prone to breakups and freeze-ups on Wednesday through Saturday, 9am to midnight. The tech support has gotten very poor, a tech came out to my house said everything was perfect, but snipped off and remade every connection and then blamed the model of my STB. He said Cox didn't have any replacements but he'd get one for me when he could. So what... leaving me with unwatchable TV four days out of seven? Tech support on the phone will only reset by STB, and that does no good.

The service I'm paying for has gone from, "Eh, but I can live with it." in December to, "I am so ready to switch to FIOS." in the last three months.

UPDATE 3/26/2010

Seems like the spotty performance is gone, and I'm now bonding 3 channels. Whenever I test I'm usually seeing data rates about 11/3 (the plan is up to 12/5) so it's carrying Skype and VOIP without any problems.

Calls to Cox... I still get some great phone staff on the phone, clear talking, helpful, great attitude, but the grouches are taking over 2:1, IME.
Call wait times have been getting longer too.

I have added digital cable TV to my plan 3 months ago. That review is still in progress... oh, so not smooth sailing.

UPDATE 1/22/2010

In the new year I upgraded my modem to Surfboard 6120 and I'm seeing two channels bonded. Initially I saw snappier loading of web pages and large downloads are quicker. But,over the few weeks I have been seeing the up/downstream signal levels and SNRs drift about, sometimes close to acceptable limits. Sometimes I get nothing when a page should load and spotty performance. I am keeping an eye on this.

UPDATE December 2009

Having called in to verify the costs, to compare to FiOS, for digital TV Cox offered same cost as I was at gateway, 2 tiers and a HD DVR. I snapped up that deal and took the plunge. So far the picture quality has varied wildly and the DVR performance is barely adequate. I'll post a full digtial television review when I'm done figuring it all out.

ORIGINAL REVIEW

Been a COX HSI customer for close to six years... I picked up a modem/service pack (a Motorola Surfboard and 50ft of co-axial cable) at Circuit City. I just hooked it up at home, phoned Cox to activate the service and I've been online almost non-stop since - we've only had two short outages!

FYI - We're on our second Surfboard now, they do have a lifespan.

The COX support people are friendly but the tech support is best when guided by a geek (me, in this case) who knows what needs to be fixed otherwise you'll be chasing down blind alleys, but all tech support has gone that way it seems.

I think, when I started using COX HSI, the speeds were 5/2. COX always upgraded the speeds for consumers as the higher speeds became available. The currently cited speeds are up to 12/5 and that is what we usually see using Speedtest.net

The McAfee VirusScan Suite that you can get free as COX HSI subscriber is worth about $50 in software and $20/yr in virus scan updates.

I get the HSI bundled with the cable analog TV service from COX and the cost of the combination is begining to be be uncompetitive, at $103/mo. For a little more I can get Verizon Extreme HD and 50/20.

Comments:

Review by Jonasjlp See Profile

• Location: Broken Arrow,Tulsa,OK
Good "Better then DSL"
Bad "Not as good as FiOS"
Overall "It's my only choice, works ok"

My main grip is the wifi. I just use the wireless modem/router i ordered from Cox thinking it would be a good enough signal for a 1000sq ft apartment. It's not. It's actually terrible. Router is in the living room in the center of the apartment. Connectivity in the bedrooms is terrible and frequently not available at all.

Comments:

Review by bokamba See Profile

• Location: Falls Church,Fairfax,VA
Good "Stable connection, installation was quick"
Bad "Slower than advertised, returning rented modem was inconvenient"
Overall "Not terrible, but not a great value"

Update, 1/11/15: After getting a new wireless router, I can now state with confidence that we're not getting the 50 Mbps we are paying for (tests consistently land at around 35 Mbps or lower). Disappointing!

Update, 9/29/14: The $30/month promotion mentioned below expired after one year. Since then, the download speed has been raised to 50 Mbps (though I am not sure my connection is actually that fast, I'm getting at least 20 Mbps). The "standard" price for my Internet-only service is now $60/month, but I called and threatened to cancel, and got it lowered to $42/month for the next 12 months. Other than that, everything in the original review remains true.

Original review from 2013: Cox offers residents of my apartment complex a $30/month Internet-only deal (15 Mbps down/5 up). I think it's a lower price than I'd otherwise get in this area. It's month-to-month, which I appreciate, since I didn't want to commit to a long-term contract.

Installation was quick and professional. I initially used the all-in-one modem-router-WAP provided by Cox, but decided to buy my own cable modem and save the $7/month modem rental (which is in addition to the monthly fee). Returning the rented modem was inconvenient because I had to return it to Cox's showroom, which was inconveniently located.

The connection is very stable and fast enough for my needs (Web, gaming, high-def online video). I haven't done thorough speed tests, though.

As with most ISPs, Cox's default DNS servers redirect mistyped URLs to pages of ads. But they also have normal DNS servers you can use.

Comments:

Anonguy

@cox.net

Do you have a Docsis 3 modem.

You need a Docsis modem to get 50mbps.

What model modem do you have?
Jonasjlp

join:2011-06-22
Downingtown, PA

Re: Do you have a Docsis 3 modem.

Do you have problems with wifi connectivity? I seem to have problems on all devices when i'm not within 20ft or if there is a wall in the way.

Review by rmoonin See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "Very fast and reliable"
Bad "It is expensive"
Overall "For business applications it is good"

I link my New Jersey office which has FIOS with my Nevada office which has COX HSI. Fios is running 25 up and down. Cox is running 50 down and around 8 up. The cost of around $120 is about the same. Yes this is very expensive but when your livelihood (accounting business) depends upon it then you bite the bullet and pay for it. I cannot see much of a difference between the two although I prefer FIOS as the throughput seems faster on the Verizon network. I wish we has fiber to the curb but that is generally only available at the Las Vegas casinos. There has been virtually no downtime on Cox. Installation was fast and professional. In the long run it has helped the business since I am able to access large tax files without any problems. Videocam between the two offices is not perfect but acceptable.

I am updating my review of Cox. For several reasons I upgraded to their Ultimate service. It is expensive but they are the only game in town offering 150 speed. Tech support is excellent. Installer was top notch. Reliability which is super important is there. Sure I have had to reboot the modem a few times but that is no big deal. I am waiting to see how fast Century Link will bring 1 gig speed over to Henderson,Nevada. Competition is good for everyone

My office in NJ uses Verizon FIOS and here in Las Vegas we continue to use Cox Ultimate. We have been using a standard service like gotomypc.com. The quality and ping of the connection is excellent. Virtually no downtime with Cox. Once in a while I have to restart the modem but that is done when updating Windows products. No big deal. Essentially you get what you pay for.

If you have to link offices you really need to at least 50 at both ends. Both Cox and FIOS are good companies and you get what you pay for. You are not going to get high speeds for $40 bucks a month. Running a business requires an expenditure for quality internet service and quality computers at both ends. You spend money to make money.

Comments:
rmoonin

join:2000-08-05
Newtown, PA
·Cox HSI

Update on Cox

I use Cox Ultimate service and it has been a pleasure dealing with the. Speeds hit 180 which is terrific. I link my Nevada office and New Jersey office. Unfortunately in NJ I have to deal with Comcast which is horrible and have to contend with lower speeds and more importantly unreliability by Comcast. Yes it is expensive but when you are working with large data files you need that speed. Computer equipment is state of the art but in a commercial environment you do not cut corners. Cox tech support is excellent and I rarely have issues with them.
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Trace route

Would be interesting to see the trace route path between the two offices.. See where you data goes.