Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by bokamba See Profile

• Location: Falls Church,Fairfax,VA
Good "Stable connection, installation was quick"
Bad "Defaults to ad-laden DNS, returning rented modem was inconvenient"
Overall "Not bad, but not a great value"

Update, 9/29/14: The $30/month promotion mentioned below expired after one year. Since then, the download speed has been raised to 50 Mbps (though I am not sure my connection is actually that fast, I'm getting at least 20 Mbps). The "standard" price for my Internet-only service is now $60/month, but I called and threatened to cancel, and got it lowered to $42/month for the next 12 months. Other than that, everything in the or

Original review from 2013: Cox offers residents of my apartment complex a $30/month Internet-only deal (15 Mbps down/5 up). I think it's a lower price than I'd otherwise get in this area. It's month-to-month, which I appreciate, since I didn't want to commit to a long-term contract.

Installation was quick and professional. I initially used the all-in-one modem-router-WAP provided by Cox, but decided to buy my own cable modem and save the $7/month modem rental (which is in addition to the monthly fee). Returning the rented modem was inconvenient because I had to return it to Cox's showroom, which was inconveniently located.

The connection is very stable and fast enough for my needs (Web, gaming, high-def online video). I haven't done thorough speed tests, though.

As with most ISPs, Cox's default DNS servers redirect mistyped URLs to pages of ads. But they also have normal DNS servers you can use.

Comments:

Review by intel1212 See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "Reliable, good tech support (Cox techs participate in forums here..)"
Bad "Really none, except my perception that the price is high -- no "
Overall "Reliable, fast -- seems to be better value then Embarq"

·VOIPO
UPDATE 9/27/2014:

Still with Cox. They raised prices, then raised speeds (have the Moto SB6121). Still only using service for IP connectivity. Have had a couple of problems, but support has been very good from Cox. Example of support includes calling for assistance earlier this year on a Saturday and tech came on-site to house ~2 hours later (their problem with cabling between house and their network).

UPDATE 7/11/2013:

Still using Cox HSI, no phone or TV services. Moved to new ASUS NT-66U router using standard ASUS firmware. Still great performance from Cox and my overall home network. I did downgrade my service from Premier to Preferred, going from $68 to $55. I constantly get ~30 Mb down, ~6-8 Mb up. That is plenty for me. Still think the price is on the high side, but again, no "real" competition in the LV/Henderson market (please, Centurylink users -- there is no comparison in speeds, period). The tech support on dslreports.com forums is outstanding. There are a couple of techs that monitor and answer questions.

*******************************************************************

UPDATE 1/16/2012:

I only use Cox services for IP (no phone or TV services). Moved to a Linksys router WRT54GS, running Tomato USB and also have a Motorola SB6120 modem. 2 major benefits of this move. 1) Faster download and upload speeds, and 2) much, much more stability in my Voip services -- IF there are some type of network issues (whereas before, I had to always reboot my Voip adapter). The stability of the Voip service I attribute to the Tomato USB OS on the router -- Highly recommend this version. Had a few connection/reconnect issues last spring, but tech support fast fast, quick, sent tech out and re-provisioned all cable connectors from my house to street -- solved problem. Highly suggest using dslreports forums to report/discuss issues you might see, excellent resource of information from all members here. Overall, happy with Cox IP services. Feel price for premier level is on the high side (and they just raised the price $1 from $63.99 to $64.99), but there is really no other competition in town for the speeds I am seeing.

Comments:

Review by broadshouldr See Profile

• Location: Lafayette,Lafayette,LA
Good "Generally fast"
Bad "ridiculously expensive; periodically drops circuit"

Premier internet. Touted 50Mbps down, recently uplifted to 100Mbps, these speeds are a joke. Actual download speeds vary from 6Mbps to 24Mbps. Upload speed often surpasses download.

Order and install were good, basically the result of them hiring excellent installer.

I used my own equipment that is listed on their supported list (NetGear).

Overall satisfied, but feel that I am paying too much. ADSL is not really an alternative, so they are gouging customers.

Comments:

Anonguy

@68.106.20.x

What modem do you have?

Make sure it is Docsis 3.

Review by N10Cities See Profile

• Location: Fort Smith,Sebastian,AR
Good "Fairly consistent speeds, friendly customer service"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Very fast service, compared to other solutions locally."

Currently using the Cox Bundle.

Phone quality is excellent, TV picture quality is great with no pixelation encountered so far at any time of the day. Currently subscribed to Premier Internet tier and am getting very consistent up and download speeds at most times of the day.

I have heard we have DOCSIS 3 service now, but need to save the greenstamps to get a compliant modem so I can enjoy the new speeds, but currently using an Arris eMTA which is working very well for me..

Update! 3/30/11. Upgraded to the Cisco 2850 Gateway device so I would be DOCSIS 3.0 compliant (still running Premier) and it REALLY boosted my speeds. Last test on Speedtest.net was 62 Mb down / 5.5 Mb up.

Recently got an HD TV and upgraded one receiver to HD (no DVR). Picture quality has been excellent.

Highly recommended service!

Update 10/5/12

No changes. Service still rock solid...

Update 9/16/14

Currently using Ultimate Tier and no TV. Consistently pulling 170-180 Mb/sec on speedtest (i know, i know, boost...but still fun to watch). Streaming Netflix works perfectly with no lag as well as high throughput downloading content from Steam, Origin, etc. Highly recommended.

Comments:

Review by AmericanLoco See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Fairly reliable, decent speeds"
Bad "Hideously expensive, "
Overall "It's probably better than comcast."

Cox is alright. It's really expensive for what you get and the cable TV image quality is really bad, even the HD channels. Way too much compression. OTA digital broadcasts look much better. The internet is ok, but does suffer from minor outages occasionally. Also, if you don't have a DOCSIS2 modem, they'll inject messages into websites you go on harassing you to upgrade to a DOCSIS3 modem on your own dime. Pretty shady practice there.

member for 293 days, 167 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by BryanInPHX See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Reliable Connection"
Bad "Phone CS, and Tech Support not very Tech savy"
Overall "Downloads vary from 50Mbps to 100Mbps w/ 4x4 modem"

Update 09/11/14
Cox High Speed Internet Premier (100Mbps/10Mbps)
Cox has delivered overall excellent service and reliability over the last 13+ years
I still have a 4x4 SB6120 modem, so the download speeds can drop to 40-50Mbps during peak times. I am sure this would be more consistent if I upgraded to a 8x4 modem, I just do not feel the need at this time.

Update 02/16/12
Cox has not delivered on advertised speeds in almost 1 year. The best sustained download with Premier HSI at off peak times I can achieve has dropped to 17Mbps, I would drop to Preferred HSI, but I would lose my grandfathered bundle discount which is a substantial discount.

Update 05/28/11
Received new firmware SB612X-1.0.5.1-SCM00-NOSH, firmware is very stable.

Update 04/20/11
Cox Arizona claimed they were raising speeds, But Cox eliminated or substantially limited PowerBoost. Sustained Downloads now only average 19Mbps, so increase was actually a decrease. Also, burst speedtests are now capped at 30Mbps with Premier HSI, Where before burst speeds could easily exceed 60Mbps.

Update 09/01/10
Premier HSI - Sustained Download speeds are still averaging 22Mbps, Good job Cox.
Firmware updated to SB612X-1.0.3.1-SCM00-NOSH on 08/30/10

Update 05/08/10
Sustained Download speeds are still averaging 22Mbps, Good job Cox.
Reclaimed DL speeds by moving back to SB6120-1.0.1.7-SCM00-NOSH, after Cox finally admitted SB6120-1.0.2.4-SCM01-NOSH did indeed have a speed issue: »Re: SB6120 1.0.2.4 Speed Concerns

Update 4/28/10
Download speeds are back up today with sustained DL speeds averaging 22Mbps, Thank You Cox, I hope the issues are resolved.

Update 4/27/10
Seriously, often I actually have to wait for images to load, Did I switch to DSL during an Ambien coma???

Update 4/21/10
I have Premier HSI - 20/4Mbps Service, 25/5 w/ PowerBoost®
I switched to an SB6120 modem on 4/3/10. At that time my sustained download speed was an average of 22Mbps, and was fairly consistent for about two weeks. I noticed my modem logs were gone at 10pm Thursday evening 4/15/10, and thought it odd, and posted it online. I noticed Monday morning 4/19/10 that my sustained download speeds now averaged only 12Mbps. I then discovered my modem firmware had been updated on 4/15/10. That explains the missing modem logs. Does it explain the 50% reduction in download speed? You do the math!!! I am paying for 20/4Mbps service and getting 12Mbps. Preferred HSI is 15Mbps @ $46.95, I think Cox owes me an $18.06/mo credit as long as this continues.

I have had Cox HSI since it was Cox@Home, many years ago, about 10 years. Cox@Home started out at $29.99/mo w/ 10Mb/s download speeds. At that time it was not always reliable. The past several years have been mostly reliable. My connection now is always reliable, and speeds tend to be as advertised. I am on the Premiere service w/ Phone and DVR/HD Cable, with two tiers and HBO & SHO. Pay a total of $202.00/mo.

Every Tech to visit my home by both Cox employees and Cox contractors, have been a pleasant experience. Techs have been respectful, well prepared, knowledgeable and have always resolved my issues, including pulling a new line from the pedestal to replacing splitters to calling other Techs for advice. Phone CS and Tech Support on the other hand is usually not very helpful. The same goes for Live Chat and email support.

Modem: SB6120, Firmware: 1.0.1.7-SCM00-NOSH

36.32 Mb/s
Average Upload Speed
6.11 Mb/s

Average Sustained Download Speed: 22 Mb/s

Comments:

AGBM01

@68.111.124.x

Slow speeds

Get a 8X4 modem or even 16X4 modem

Your 4X4 modem is your problem, if all 4 down channels are swamped you will have slow speeds. you are paying for a service thats going to be affected buy your modem, you need to be using a 8 Down X 4 Up or 16 Down X 4 UP (channels)

BryanInPHX
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

Re: Slow speeds

Yes, I realize the 4x4 modem is the issue, At this time I do not feel the need to upgrade, as I really have no use for speeds above 40-50Mbps.

AGBM01

@68.111.124.x

Cox upgrades and you have slow speeds

1. Upgrade modem
2. Upgrade router must be compatible to modem to get = performance
3. Are you wired or wireless? Being wired you will see speeds your looking for.
4. If you are like many, most people use wireless and not wired, Wireless going to be slim to get those speeds and may need an AC router. AC routers performance is great, and can get you up to the speed increase you are looking for. Are your wireless cards in your computers up to the speed increase of an AC router?

Cox offers the best products available to it's customers. Customers need to make sure there equipment is capable of even getting the new speed increases. As a customer you must realize Cox can give you all the speed you want, but if your Equipment is outdated its your fault you are not getting the speed you want.

BryanInPHX
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

Re: Cox upgrades and you have slow speeds

My Router is an ASUS RT-N66U, Speeds are equally as good wired vs wireless. Desktop is wired, Laptop is WiFi.

Review by asiatrails See Profile

• Location: Owasso,Tulsa,OK
Bad "Slow service and bad support"
Overall "Used to be great, now not"

·Vonage
I am running the premier service which is supposed to have just been upgraded to 100 MB down and 10 MB up, I am not getting that level of service. Using Cox's preferred speed tester, 0.77Mb down and 11.4 up is the best I have gotten over the last week.

The upload speed is excellent and what I should be getting, the download is garbage. I just spent over two hours with a tech who was not even at the level of a script reader, this is not the type of internet service, or support, on which I spend money on. She was very hard to hear and told me she had her headset turned way down, frustrating !!!! Asked if she could arrange a technician visit and got a story about how she was in Alabama so I asked for a call back to schedule a technician visit, two hours ago and still waiting.

Went through all the usual steps, turn modem on/off, what light flash, reboot router, plug in laptop(s) for direct connection, check wireless settings, power levels and signal to noise rations on modem are good 35db minimum and power level of 5 db/mv maximum.

Problem looks like it is on the downstream line, and gets really bad after heavy rain, box flooding maybe???

Comments:

LazamairAMD

join:2001-03-14
Catoosa, OK
·Cox HSI

Check your splitters.

We experienced something similar to this, which required a service call. Since COX did their upgrades, they are using frequencies that are being filtered out by your splitters. If you look at the splitter and it shows 5-900MHz, then you need to get those swapped.
If at first you don't succeed, try a different screwdriver.
asiatrails

join:2014-09-06
·Cox HSI

Re: Check your splitters.

Thanks for the tip, Cox have been working in the area for the last week and service is crawling back up to where it should be.

I did get a call from a Cox tech who was going to be at my house to check the internal wiring in 10 minutes, no can do, I said, I have this thing called work to do.

Got a long saga about how customer service had set this up with me, they had not. Asked him to check the splitter on the box outside and he wanted to know if it had been installed by a Cox technician or a contractor. No idea as best I can recall the van had Cox on the side of it, sounds as if they all do.

Ended up he refused to come by to check it, told me to reschedule with customer service. I just spent over 30 minutes on hold, waiting, no answer.

Waiting for the next big rain to see if they have fixed the problem. I just want the service that I am paying for.

Review by Metal Head See Profile

• Location: Escondido,San Diego,CA
Good "Great Speeds and Reliability"
Overall "Beats the hell out of DSL!"

Somehow when we placed our order online the Fast Connect Kit did not get shipped to us. We then called Cox a few days after our kit was to arrive and they said the kit would be here in a few days, but again the kit never arrived. So to make a long story short the kit finally arrives almost two weeks late.

I have only been using COX HSI since July 06, and so far I'm very satisfied with the service, the connection has been rock solid and with the upgrades we have been getting lately it's all that much better.

We had just migrated over from DSL, and with the distance from the CO., our fragile copper lines that could barley hold a 1.5/384 sync, I could not be any happier with Cox cable.

As for the service, we are on the preferred package 9/768 and are getting slightly above our advertised speeds.

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::
Download Connection is:: 11735 Kbps about 11.74 Mbps (tested with 12288 kB)
Download Speed is:: 1432 kB/s
Upload Connection is:: 1351 Kbps about 1.4 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)
Upload Speed is:: 165 kB/s
Tested From:: »testmy.net (Main)
Test Time:: 2008/07/16 - 11:10am
D-Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-985QPW4AD
U-Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-7092FGTXL
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.16) Gecko/20080702 Firefox/2.0.0.16 [!]

***************************** UPDATE July 16 2008 ************************************

We have had our service for 2 years now and couldn't be happier with the overall service. The speeds have been rock solid and the connection has been very reliable.

*****************************UPDATE Feb. 25 2010***************************

The connection is still rock solid and were getting slightly above our advertised speeds on the preferred tier which was just upgraded from 10/768 to 12/1.5

***************************UPDATE Feb. 20 2013**************************************

Our connection still has been rock solid and our speed on preferred has been increased to 18/2 and we are getting slightly above the speed on the speed tests.

*************************Update October 30 2013***********************************

Our connection has been rock solid with one exception of packet loss in our neighborhood since my last update. The Cox people were on the problem and it was solved in a few days. We also just receive a upgrade in speed from 18/2 to 25/5.

member for 13.7 years, 6378 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by terabyte See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Consistant speeds"
Bad "Not what advertised"
Overall "There Data Usage Meter is inaccurate"

Three complaints about Cox's Ultimate HSI:
1. Advertised speed 150Mbps down, Cox website tests at 180 Mbps, Speedtest.net 80 Mbps.
2. Data Usage Meter is inaccurate-reports 18 Gbps per day usage even on the two weeks I was out of town on vacation.
3. The Preferred and Premier HSI tiers received a free speed increase but Cox has done nothing for the Ultimate tier customers.

Comments:

Review by otom8 See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "Nice and fast - connection is working well except with one device/service"
Bad "Repeatedly getting logged out of Xbox live"
Overall "Better than CenturyLink, but Xbox Live problem is very frustrating"

Aug. 8, 2014: Price on bill was as expected. I did not get connected until about 10 days after subscribing, so I called, and Cox gave me a credit for the days I wasn't connected -- that was a big plus. About a week into the new service, all seems to be working well (desktops, laptops, tablets, phones, reliability, connectivity, bandwidth, etc.), except that Xbox live keeps getting disconnected. I kept both my old Internet service (including modem-router that came with it) for about a week, so I could compare both services. Xbox live works perfectly fine with my previous service, but it is intermittently disconnected with the new Cox modem-router. The modem-router is a Ubee DDW366. Cox's tier 1 and 2 tech support have not been able to help me with this problem, so I am going to switch out the modem-router with a different brand at the Cox store, and see how that goes. (This is odd since I'd expect that a significant number of Cox's HSI customers use Xbox live, perhaps Ubee is a new brand for Cox?)

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Need to adjust your QOS

Most Cox users use either Motorola or Cisco for their modems / routers..

I got a Cisco DPC3010 modem with a Cisco RV042G router.

You should be able to adjust your modem's / router QOS setting to prevent disconnects from your XBox.

otom8

join:2013-02-25
Henderson, NV

Re: Need to adjust your QOS

Thanks a bunch - great info.
P.S. I did wind up adding port forwarding in the Ubee's settings for the Xbox's (fixed) IP address (UDP and TCP for ports 88, 3074, 53, 80), but that did not resolve the problem.
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Re: Need to adjust your QOS

Might want to take a look at this.. Looks like your not the only one with Xbox issues and Ubee modems / routers.

»forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox···661.aspx

»forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox···301.aspx

Also you might want to put the Xbox in the DMZ zone.. Let it have a direct connection to the internet.