Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by palbri See Profile

• Location: Suffield,Hartford,CT
Good "Pricing"
Bad "Speeds, Modem, Customer Service, you name it."
Overall "Can't compete with Comcast; 15 years behind the standard"

I moved to a new area after having been a Comcast subscriber for almost 20 years. Cox is NOT Comcast. While pricing is competitive and slightly less expensive, the whole experience is underwhelming. I never achieve the rated 25 MB DL speeds and it is worse on wireless: half or slower with constant disconnects (I have changed modems/routers twice and even use an extender, which have also been replaced). Speeds decrease at night if not randomly. I even live in a less populated area. With Comcast, I NEVER had speed issues and even on wi-fi speeds were close to advertised speeds. I have hardwired the Smart TV and Box on Cox and speeds are improved but not stellar.

It appears Cox is where Comcast was 15 years ago: spotty and unreliable with poor Customer Service who can barely help you on the telephone.

Comments:
KnightAR

join:2004-04-22
San Marcos, CA

Post on the Cox forums here

As a fellow Cox costumer, I've once in a while ran into slowness, spotty issues with their service. As a Cox customer for over 20 years I've learned to know what to do when your having service issues. I've had problems over the years, but nothing Cox was not able to fix, and i've went years without issues. My suggestion:

First, Post on the Cox HSI forums on dslreports and have one of the Techs that frequents the forum look into the issue and to help you debug it. (They will ask you to PM them your Mac Address).

Second, If the tech support on the forum does find the issue he may tell you what to tell the people on the phone to fix it, or they may be able to fix it already on their end. If the problem still continues after speaking with a tech on the forum, Call Cox tech support (Press 0 to skip the machine trying to help debug the issue). Have them send out a tech guy to take a look at your line; It could be a single strength issue (they may need to boost the strength, or replace a cable or two). In my opinion, Cox is very helpful if you call and carefully explain the problems.
Artician LLC
Co-Founder
Artician Web Development Studios - »www.artician.net
Artician - Creative Network for Art, Graphic Design, & Photography - »www.artician.com

Hard Harry

join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Re: Post on the Cox forums here

How does Wifi have anything to do with a ISP? Thats your routers fault. And if you think Mb is MB, its no wonder you have to call support so much. Your review wasn't so much a review but a rant which is not very helpful.

rulds2008

@70.181.184.x

Re: Post on the Cox forums here

I don't feel it was a rant he said he was with Comcast witch was 14 years above Cox.. He explain what he was doing to fix it and so on. I feel your trying to Troll him into a negative conversation.
said by Hard Harry:

Review by Dogpatch See Profile

• Location: Harrison,Boone,AR
Good "Faster than Windstream."
Bad "Not nearly as reliable as should be."
Overall "When another high speed competitor arrives - I'm gone."

I have had Cox's Premiere service since the get go and have always had up and down service. Never smooth and steady. Have had service for nearly two years and have had several service calls probably averaging at least 1 per quarter. Techs can never provide a resolution. Have tried gateways from Netgear, Cisco, & different Netgear, all to no avail. I am very frustrated with Cox HSI and can't wait for another option.

Comments:

Review by Renaldok7 See Profile

• Location: Yukon,Canadian,OK
Good "Speeds are at or above what is advertised"
Bad "Field Techs should have more knowledge and a better attitude."
Overall "Not bad considering there isn't any true competition."

I purchased the Ultimate package, Installation was a snap. I am using the Cisco DPQ3212 modem. After a few hiccups and user error on my part service is up and working flawlessly. My only complaint is a lack of thorough troubleshooting by the Field Rep. The CSRs whom I dealt with were knowledgeable and friendly. Overall a 4.5 out of 5.

Comments:

Review by tronester3 See Profile

• Location: Tulsa,Tulsa,OK
Good "Very good download speeds, I get 50mbps down, 10mbps up. Excellent latency as well."
Bad "Pathetic Data usage cap of 300 gigabytes per month."
Overall "Unfortunately they are the best option in Tulsa. Maybe Google will lay fiber."

I've had Cox for several years now. The speeds are a bit better than ATT Uverse from what I've seen. Every once in awhile I will have a connection issue where I will have to reset the cable modem.

Called up their sales as I needed to upgrade from preferred to premiere. Told Saleswoman I was thinking of switching to ATT. Asked what kind of discount I could get. She took off 30 dollars or so from the entire 175 dollar bill. Said that was the best she could do. Then told her to transfer me to the cancellation department. She then said she handled that. She asked if I wanted to cancel service immediately, I said no, set the disconnect date for two weeks from the day in order to have ATT service put in first. She immediately started backpedaling and dropped another 20 dollars off the price. Sketchy that they can lie to customers like that.

No latency issues for online gaming. Pings of sub 40ms are common.

For 25mbps, you will utilize your entire data usage allotment for the month in just under 24 hours assuming you max out your downstream connection. Obviously this isn't typically going to happen.

If you divide out 250 gigabytes over an entire month, your download speed would ACTUALLY be less than 1mbps. Pathetic if you think about it.

****New Review****

Several years later, here I am back to update. I just bought a new docsis 3.0 modem and cut all of my services except premier internet. I have no complaints whatsoever with the speed, which is now 50mbps down and 10mbps up. Low latency as well. What I am mad about are the data caps. My downstream is now double and upstream almost quadruple what they were, yet my data cap has only gone from 250 gigabytes a month to 300. I've already gotten emails from them that I am using too much of their precious bandwidth. They are the only option in town at this speed range (AT&T is 18/2.5 max) and cox knows it. I guess I will continue to stream my 4k netflix and use my online backup and keep getting notices from them until they actually threaten to cancel my account.

Comments:

Review by averagedude See Profile

• Location: Murrieta,Riverside,CA
Good "-"
Bad "-"
Overall "-"

Update: As of the first of Jan 2011, I have moved and I am no longer in Cox territory.

Comments:

Review by johnlgalt See Profile

• Location: Bonaire,Houston,GA
Good "Good high speed, fast to upgrade before making public announcements about upgrades"
Bad "Higher than 1% downtime b/c of upgrades"
Overall "Well worth the price"

We have the premier package from Cox HSI, which used to be their top tier for consumers, but now the top tier is held by the ultimate package. For the price, though, compared to the offerings in the ultimate package, we save $30 / month and get near the same speeds on the downstream.

Overall, I am happy with Cox's service, and their customer service, when I have had to deal with them. When my old Motorola SB 5120 simply would not let me get speeds any faster than ~32 Mbps, I call support and they advised me that since I had had the connection for so long (9 years as of now, 7 years at that point) the modem, being DOCSIS 2.0, could not handle the higher speeds, and then asked if I wanted to buy a replacement modem. I verified that I could purchase one anywhere, and connect and it would be ready to go with all provisioning in place, and she (Cox CSR) advised me to give them a call.

Purchased a Motorola SB 6120, made the connections, called Cox, and was back up and running within a minute of the call.

As for the original install, they were gracious enough to take a look at the house's older wiring (RG59) and run a new direct line to the location where the modem is currently at.

Previously had bundled with Cox IP Telephone services, but gave that up several years back in favor of Vonage.

Running everything through a NetGear WNDR4500 4 port wired + Wireless (a/b/g/n) router that I configured myself with additional security measures in place.

Wired, I routinely get 7+ MB/s download speeds, and wireless I can still pull as fast as 4+ MB/s.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with Cox HSI.

Comments:

Review by bokamba See Profile

• Location: Falls Church,Fairfax,VA
Good "Stable connection, installation was quick"
Bad "Defaults to ad-laden DNS, returning rented modem was inconvenient"
Overall "A good deal for the price I got"

Cox offers residents of my apartment complex a $30/month Internet-only deal (15 Mbps down/5 up). I think it's a lower price than we'd otherwise get in this area. It's month-to-month, which I appreciate, since I didn't want to commit to a long-term contract.

Installation was quick and professional. I initially used the all-in-one modem-router-WAP provided by Cox, but decided to buy my own cable modem and save the $7/month modem rental (which is in addition to the $30 monthly fee). Returning the rented modem was inconvenient because I had to return it to Cox's showroom, which was inconveniently located.

The connection is very stable and fast enough for my needs (Web, gaming, high-def online video). I haven't done thorough speed tests, though.

As with most ISPs, Cox's default DNS servers redirect mistyped URLs to pages of ads. But they also have normal DNS servers you can use.

member for 12.4 years, 3695 visits, last login: 139 days ago

Comments:

Review by debbieandjon See Profile

• Location: Aliso Viejo,Orange,CA
Good "Reliable."
Bad "Price Gouge - holy crap!"
Overall "18 Mbps down / 2 Mbps up"

I have been with Cox@home since 1/2000. Forward to 12/2002... Packet loss makes my system crawl many times throughout the years. Before blaming my cable modem the technician changed every connection from the computer to the street and checked packet loss. Still there... After swapping my old Best Data CMX110 (one year warranty expired) for his Toshiba he found the problem. This time I bought the Toshiba PCX2200 with a 5 year warranty. In the past I have found the less experienced or lazy techs will say the problem is your retail modem without going through the obvious checkpoints.

8/2003... We are now paying an additional $3.95 "service ASSurance plan" to
cover our inside cable and modem. DSL will be a consideration in the near future
if we keep getting hit with rate increases. Besides, filesharing is no longer

allowed unless you have deep pockets... Boycott all RIAA products.

3/2004... Download speeds seem a bit higher through BBR speed tests. I haven't
had to use the "service ASSurance plan" yet. San Diego's plan is $2.95. Cox
will not give me a rational answer as to why Orange County is more money.

6/2005... Cox internet has been reliable. While service speeds have increased
the price remains the same. Although DSL is a better deal, I am still using Cox
because of the bundling discount.

11/2006... A price increase of $2.00/month when DSL prices are dropping! Download speeds were increased to 7000, but the upload speed of 512 remains
unchanged. I don't see much of a difference between 4000 and 7000. The TV ads and home mailings want you to believe that KOx is doing us a favor...

Thank you DSL Reports for the excellent service. (c:

05/2007... I am now getting 8000 for download and the upload remains the same at 512. After considering a move to another company, I called Cox to complain about the prices. They gave me a 6 month discount to keep me satisfied.

02/2008... Using a docsis 2.0 cable modem now. (Moto SB5101) Downloads are faster but the upload speed remains the same. The quality of service is still A+

08/2008... Another price hike! $3.04! The 7.25% increase is higher than the rate of inflation. The total with the ASSurance Plan is $48.94. The service is great but at what point will I say enough. Tough financial times call for the need to shop around.

02/2009... The price has remained steady. $44.99 plus $3.95 for the Cox ASSurance Plan. I test my speed on a regular basis. The service has been
reliable during the 4 to 5 hours per day it is used. Speeds: 12 down / 1 up minimum.

06/2010... Price hike to $46.99 plus $3.95 monthly for Cox's ASSurance that I won't be charged for service calls. The "PowerBoost" feature hasn't worked in a couple of weeks. My download speeds have decreased to 10 down / 1 up. Preferred tier.
UPDATE: Speeds were restored by a modem reboot that was recommended by a Cox expert on the forum.

06/2011... Another price increase. The "Preferred" service is now $50! The "we won't charge you extra if our Cox service fails" fee called Cox Service ASSurance Plan still remains $47.40 a year!

11/2011... Cox Service ASSurance plan had it's name changed to something more benign, Cox Service Protection Plan.

11/15/11... The Cox DNS servers were down. Phone service waiting time went from a busy signal to 45 minutes. The rude Cox Customer Service Representative would not provide a work around. See the Dslreports Cox HSI forum for other Cox fumbles...

2/14/12... Again, another price hike. $4.00 or 8% more, for Cox High Speed Internet Preferred. It's now $53.99 plus $3.95 for the Cox Service Protection Plan. (Customer service costs extra if you don't pay the monthly shakedown fee - now how is that fair?)

11/17/12... Speed increase from 12 Mbps / 1 Mbps to 18 / 2.

7/08/13... Cox Service Protection fee is $5.99 per month. $55.99 for preferred. 18/2. I was able to negotiate a lower rate for one year.

4/30/14... $61.99! WTF! I'm dropping the Cox Service Protection. If there is a problem and they want money I will use another service.

Comments:

Review by LeeCNE See Profile

• Location: Tiverton,Newport,RI
Good "Faster than advertised on DOCSIS 3."
Bad "No problems"
Overall "Excellent service."

Excellent service. Blazing speed, faster than advertised. Very reliable.

Comments:

TerrapinNiel

@98.176.95.x

Terrible email Access Support

The worst !! Simply no words to explain the 45 minute wait two days in a row trying to fix a problem. After two days trying and a total of more than 1hr 30 minutes we got a hold of a nice lady who said that she could not help repair email access. That they will charge $90 dollars to resolve the problem directly The very nice and calm lady (gotta give her that) simply had no way of helping. She had no access to email, could not receive emails, could not join.me, could not share creen, couldn't practically do anything other than answer the call and charge $90 dollars extra for the already overpriced cox service.

Review by JJG3 See Profile

• Location: US
Good "Lightning fast, great service"

·HughesNet Satell..
I have Cox for home internet, which is great. I ordered it for our business and they went out of their way to find the right package and pricing. A few days later, we were up and running. Speed is governed down to 100 MBps but spikes higher occasionally. Never lower than 100. The few calls I've had to make were simple and effective. And I can get to my account rep by email, no need to deal with different people every time.

Very solid.