Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by otom8 See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "Nice and fast - connection is working well except with one device/service"
Bad "Repeatedly getting logged out of Xbox live"
Overall "Better than CenturyLink, but Xbox Live problem is very frustrating"

Aug. 8, 2014: Price on bill was as expected. I did not get connected until about 10 days after subscribing, so I called, and Cox gave me a credit for the days I wasn't connected -- that was a big plus. About a week into the new service, all seems to be working well (desktops, laptops, tablets, phones, reliability, connectivity, bandwidth, etc.), except that Xbox live keeps getting disconnected. I kept both my old Internet service (including modem-router that came with it) for about a week, so I could compare both services. Xbox live works perfectly fine with my previous service, but it is intermittently disconnected with the new Cox modem-router. The modem-router is a Ubee DDW366. Cox's tier 1 and 2 tech support have not been able to help me with this problem, so I am going to switch out the modem-router with a different brand at the Cox store, and see how that goes. (This is odd since I'd expect that a significant number of Cox's HSI customers use Xbox live, perhaps Ubee is a new brand for Cox?)

Comments:
sparky007

Need to adjust your QOS

Most Cox users use either Motorola or Cisco for their modems / routers..

I got a Cisco DPC3010 modem with a Cisco RV042G router.

You should be able to adjust your modem's / router QOS setting to prevent disconnects from your XBox.

otom8

join:2013-02-25
Henderson, NV

Re: Need to adjust your QOS

Thanks a bunch - great info.
P.S. I did wind up adding port forwarding in the Ubee's settings for the Xbox's (fixed) IP address (UDP and TCP for ports 88, 3074, 53, 80), but that did not resolve the problem.

·Vonage

Re: Need to adjust your QOS

Might want to take a look at this.. Looks like your not the only one with Xbox issues and Ubee modems / routers.

»forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox···661.aspx

»forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox···301.aspx

Also you might want to put the Xbox in the DMZ zone.. Let it have a direct connection to the internet.

Review by Scotty See Profile

• Location: Bellevue,Sarpy,NE
Good "Cox HSI just doubled our speed for the same price!!!!!"
Overall "Cox has the speed. I'm at the point where I might drop Cox TV and watch TV online instead."

I'm signed up for the Cox Preferred internet package, 50mbps down and 10mbps up at a cost of $64.00 a month. Cox just doubled our speeds here in Nebraska as of July 2014, and that is why I've updated my review today. Cox did not raise the monthly cost for this increased speed! The speed is just right for my needs and I've had excellent 24/7 service. The internet has improved to the point where I'm able to view most TV programs online. I'm considering dropping my Cox TV service and maybe upgrading my internet speed to the next higher tier. It has been several years since I dropped our Cox phone service. I'm using a smartphone for all phone calls and have not had any problems. I even had one occasion where I had to call 911E and the emergency response was excellent. I'm assuming they used my phones GPS to locate us.

Comments:

SugarDaddy
join:2005-03-03
San Diego, CA

COX HSI

I don't know when you wrote your review dude but I have COX Ultimate here in San Diego and as of Oct. 2013 the speeds are 100 down/20 up (with the actual numbers much higher usually 130's/ high 30's). This is for $99 a month. Some other Cox locations now have 150 MBPS down which is fairly compatible with EURODOCSIS and what South Korea can deliver.

Scotty
join:2002-11-10
Tustin, CA

Re: COX HSI

Appreciate your reply. Yes, it has been a while since I've updated my review of Cox. I will update it soon. Their speeds have improved quite a bit from years ago. My son lives out in Irvine CA and he has speeds almost like yours. Guess living out here in corn country it takes awhile for the upgrades, ha. Best wishes and enjoy all that sunny California weather. I'm from Redondo Beach CA and hope to return soon.....I'm tired of all this snow and cold weather every Winter.
chuckkk

join:2001-11-10
Warner Robins, GA

Cox Middle GA

A recent "speed increase" was just put in place. At this time last year, the download speeds were 80-90Mbps (uncapped) Then the Premier speed was capped at about 32-36 Mbps. The recent "increase" raised the 36Mbps to about 46Mbps.

Due to the increasing number of annoying commercials, I'm about ready to drop TV service and go back to broadcast tv.

Review by sniperboyz See Profile

• Location: Portsmouth,Portsmouth City,VA
Good "Cox still get free powerboost that possible to reach 50+mbps from Preferred Tier. Great speed and quality."
Bad "There nothing bad with Cox. I don't see any slow connection or reboot modem. Hope it wont go bad in future."
Overall "Good pings in distance. Almost never got problem with Cox while 8+ years."

We currently use Premier package. We get about $237 for bundle with TV, Internet, and phone. My current home network are Cisco DPC3010 8x4 modem, Asus RT-N66R router, Cisco 24 ports POE switch, and three Cisco Aironet N600. Our devices are to many on list that handle with Netflix, Facetime, Online Gaming, Skype, Web, Youtube, etc. with no problem. I don't really see any problem with spike from modem or router at all. We do get 65 Mbps download and 12 Mbps upload at mostly of time. It is excellent service we got. Good news Cox are making double speed for now in USA for only Preferred and Premier start with 50/5 and 100/10.

The router and modem currently using:

Modem: Cisco DPC3010
Router: Asus RT-N66R

Speed is usually goes around 65Mbps/12 Mbps but it depending on powerboost max out. No probem have appear. Just very recently issue from Cox which are upgrading and maintainance. I am happy with that.

member for 5.1 years, 747 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ajac See Profile

• Location: Norman,Cleveland,OK
Good "Fast same price as AT&T in my area"
Bad "Once in awhile network hiccups"
Overall "Best in Oklahoma"

They have data caps but they are not enforced. We are getting a free double internet upgrade in August. Love Cox wish it was a bit cheaper but beyond that no complaints. My only real complaint is wish employees were a bit more knowledgeable about what cox is doing.

member for 14.3 years, 1969 visits, last login: 9 days ago

Comments:

Review by SlashG42 See Profile

• Location: Metairie,Jefferson,LA
Good "Fastest available in the area. Competitive prices."
Bad "Phone techs are sometimes technically ignorant."
Overall "Better than AT&T, which is the only competition in town."

·AT&T Southeast
Running Ultimate, I see speedboost downloads up to 195Mb/s for the first couple of minutes then down to 160Mb/s. It is that speed downstream any time of day I test it. That's Mbits, not MBytes.

Uploads are 30Mb/s at first and stabilize around 18-20Mb/s.

I'm content with it, but could always be faster. Currently it's the best deal the New Orleans area far as I know.

Order and install was good overall. The tech who was sent to the house was very competent and polite.

Running a Motorola Surfboard 6141 I bought myself after a 2-week-long string of random disconnects. Didn't help the disconnects. Those went away on their own. Guessing it was Cox messing with their network.

24x7 phone support is nice. They can't do a whole lot for you during non-business hours since billing and a few other offices are closed, but they can do basic troubleshooting, reset your modem, book a tech, etc. I have always gotten a tech out within 48 hours of calling, usually same day if I call before lunch.

The contractor field techs don't seem to do much besides replace connectors and splitters. As far as signal analysis and comprehending the modem's built-in diagnostic page, forget it. The Cox-employed field techs know their stuff though.

Do be aware Cox has caps now. So far, they don't enforce them much if at all.

Comments:
sparky007

Signal levels

Check your signal levels at 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.100.0
SlashG42

join:2002-02-13
Metairie, LA

Re: Signal levels

Signals are almost ideal. Always were.

Review by FFJOHNL312 See Profile

• Location: Pawtucket,Providence,RI
Good "No problems other than this know-it-all made for himself and not knowing enough about DOCSIS 3.0"

I am an ex-Verizon employee in a FiOS area but can not get it due to my landlord, and have a wife who was not happy with the upload speeds that 7M DSL could provide, so our broadband appetite had changed over the years.

No problems with it, other than using a low pass filter to block the MoCA signal for my router from getting back into Cox's network causing loss of the internet early in the morning. Once I took it off, all was well and have had no problems since.

UPDATE 7/25/14: I have since the initial review added telephone service from Cox as I left Verizon in 2012, and recently added their Contour DVR service. They upgraded my telephony modem to a Cisco DOCSIS 3.0 unit for free, and other than some kinks not resolved at the time of the Contour installation (none of the crimp-on connectors in my coax network were replaced), everything has been fine and steady. Unfortunately, still the only game in town as a result of my landlord.

member for 7 years, 2056 visits, last login: 11 days ago

Comments:

Review by rmoonin See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "Very fast and reliable"
Bad "It is expensive"
Overall "For business applications it is good"

I link my New Jersey office which has FIOS with my Nevada office which has COX HSI. Fios is running 25 up and down. Cox is running 50 down and around 8 up. The cost of around $120 is about the same. Yes this is very expensive but when your livelihood (accounting business) depends upon it then you bite the bullet and pay for it. I cannot see much of a difference between the two although I prefer FIOS as the throughput seems faster on the Verizon network. I wish we has fiber to the curb but that is generally only available at the Las Vegas casinos. There has been virtually no downtime on Cox. Installation was fast and professional. In the long run it has helped the business since I am able to access large tax files without any problems. Videocam between the two offices is not perfect but acceptable.

I am updating my review of Cox. For several reasons I upgraded to their Ultimate service. It is expensive but they are the only game in town offering 150 speed. Tech support is excellent. Installer was top notch. Reliability which is super important is there. Sure I have had to reboot the modem a few times but that is no big deal. I am waiting to see how fast Century Link will bring 1 gig speed over to Henderson,Nevada. Competition is good for everyone

Comments:
rmoonin

join:2000-08-05
Newtown, PA

Update on Cox

I use Cox Ultimate service and it has been a pleasure dealing with the. Speeds hit 180 which is terrific. I link my Nevada office and New Jersey office. Unfortunately in NJ I have to deal with Comcast which is horrible and have to contend with lower speeds and more importantly unreliability by Comcast. Yes it is expensive but when you are working with large data files you need that speed. Computer equipment is state of the art but in a commercial environment you do not cut corners. Cox tech support is excellent and I rarely have issues with them.

·Vonage

Trace route

Would be interesting to see the trace route path between the two offices.. See where you data goes.

Review by Sikki See Profile

• Location: Smithfield,Providence,RI
Good "Blazing fast speeds"
Bad "e-mail not able to connect at times (but seems fixed now)"
Overall "Never thought I would say this but I love cable!"

UPDATE 07-14-2014

I have moved to Smithfield, RI and had no issues with the service. It never seemed to go down and the speed was very good.

I recently signed up for Contour and the install was pretty painless. Since the install I have had several outages and other issues with the cable. There are times where the service is down for a few hours or more. I know its not my equipment as I can't connect despite bypassing the router and direct connecting the modem to the computer. If things don't improve it will be time to look elsewhere.

**********************************************************************************************************************************

UPDATE 7-19-2550 There has been a speed upgrade done for me and I didn't have to pay a single penny for it. I did get a the new D-Link modem DCM-202 and the speeds have skyrocketed. Here is the latest speed test:
»/speedtests/51···21807830

It looks like I am moving to Mass. within a few months and am bummed that Cox isn't there. There was one night the mail was down and one other night of no service but other than that it has been fantastic. Wish I could stay with Cox in MA.

UPDATE 4-6-2005: Things continue to run smoothly. There was a few minutes of downtime but for only 30 minutes or so. I am very happy with Cox. I will have to move to Mass. in the near future and hope that Cox is my provider there too.

UPDATE 10-14-2004: Well I have moved from Arizona to Rhode Island and have Cox out here. The service rocked before but now with the additional speed I really love it. There was one time when my D/L speed was the same as the U/L but less than an hour later it was fixed. Pings for the game servers I play on are in the high 20's to low 30's. I've read some bad reports about Cox HSI in Rhode Island but not here.

When I ordered the service here I was able to keep my account name. The person who took the order over the phone said to keep things in my mail accounts with the west server. I didn't understand why I had to do that so I just went in and changed the servers to the east and have not had a problem with anything.

I have had high speed wireless, dial-up and DSL before getting Cox. I wasn't too pleased with their cable service and really didn't know what to expect with their internet service. I finally took the plunge and ordered it after going to a friends house and seeing how well Quake 3 Arena worked on Cox HSI. I got hooked up and almost right away had a problem getting synched up. I called and had a tech come out and after 10 minutes of digging in the backyard, the service was up and ruinning. The connection itself has been rock steady and I have had no problems with it at all. There has been some line work a few late nights but nothing to be upset about.

The only negative aspect is that once in awhile the e-mail server appears to go down for minutes at a time. It doesn't happen often but it does happen enough times to warrant mention. The outages are usually a couple minutes long. It happens 2-3 times a month.

The speed I get is balzing as mentioned above. I am going to be moving back east in a few months and see that Cox is the cable provider there so will be signing up as soon as I can.

Comments:

Review by Cignus See Profile

• Location: Tempe,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Always have full purchased speed at all times"
Bad "Seems pricey for the speed compared to other markets"
Overall "You won't be dissapointed."

Nov - 2005

I ordered COX 1 week before I moved into my new house. The sales guy was very straight forward with me and was able to answer all of my questions. That was a pleasant surprise from my last ISP.

My HSI and Cable were scheduled to be activated the day I moved into my house. Upon moving in I discovered there were no cable outlets in the house at all (There was a large amount of furniture from the previous owners and they said they had COX). I called COX and they scheduled for a 3rd party contractor to come out and run the lines. That would be the next day.

Next day comes, contractor installs the wires (two outside lines and a wall fish). I call up COX and register my modem. I'm told it will take a while for the HSI to register with my modem by tech support. I goto work and when I come home that night I've still not got a HSI signal. I call up tech support we go through the normal things... nothing is working. I request for a technician to come out. The schedule one for Friday afternoon (this is Tuesday night now)

Friday afternoon shows up and the tech arrives early (he called me ahead of time... both of which were pleasant surprises). I'm not sure what he did since I had a good signal to the modem over the cable line according to his equipment but after 10 minutes I was in business.

That was two months ago and I've been using the living daylights out of my connection with out a problem.

I do alot of gaming and the standard COX service is perfect for me (4 meg down 512 up). I would recommend COX to anyone who moves to Phoenix

==============================

THREE YEARS LATER.... Nov 2008

It's been just under three years that I've had Cox for Internet/Cable TV/ Phone and things are still moving along swimmingly. I upgraded to the "Premium" service level in the summer of '07 and that was a painless experience. I put in the upgrade request to the Cox via their website and I got a email back in 24 hours saying my account had been upgraded please reboot the cable modem.

All of my complaints are directed at their TV service, but this is not the forum for that. I would still recommend Cox internet to anyone who's moving to the Phoenix Metro Area.

===================================

SIX YEARS LATER..... Nov 2011

So now it's 2011 and I sold my previous residence and moved to a new house. The previous owners had used satellite for their TV and who knows what they used for internet. I called Cox to transfer service and wanted to get an additional line pulled for my home office so I requested a pro-install (the house was missing a couple of things for cox service so I figured I may as well have things done right the first time) I schedule my appt for Saturday morning at 8am.

The normal MO for cox is they call you about 15 minutes before they show up and they are 4 times out of 5 at the early end of the appt window in my experience. So 8 AM Saturday rolls around when I don't hear anything by 9:30 AM I call Cox to confirm they have the correct phone number on file and not my Cox phone number. They have my cell phone and I am still with in my appt window so I hang up. I get the 15 minute heads up call 2 minutes later...

So the tech shows up, he's a contractor but seems pretty knowledgeable (I showed him my set up and my basic plans and he made some suggestions to make my life easier which turned out to make my life easier (that's refreshing!!)) So he goes to make the connection and starts tracing the wiring in the house which he quickly describes as "a ghetto fabulous satellite install" pretty quickly he has another guy there toning out lines trying to figure out where the tap is in my neighborhood (that was a solid 20 minutes, turns out the taps in my neighborhood are all mislabeled... awesome!) they finally get a new line pulled from the tap to the house and do two wall fishes for my TV and cable modem so brand new wire across the board (bonus!).

When it's all done and said for HSI, Digital Cable (using a tivo and 2 way card with tuning adapter), and phone service. Total time is about 1.5 hours, not to shabby considering the wall fishes and messed up labeling.

My only gripe is that in my old house there was a box that went on the side of the house for the phone service. I now have one of those combo surfboardV 5222 modems instead of my Surfboard 6120, but that is a minor gripe since I only have the home line for spam calls anyway.

Not a bad experience and I continue to be pleased with Cox's services.

============================================

Almost 9 years later - June 2014

Still with Cox and still satisfied with the internet service. My usage profile has changed since I first got Cox. It used to be a ton of online gaming which has transitioned to a ton of streaming from various sites, with various devices, and always top quality from the service. I work from home 25% of the time and have never had a issue with speed or drops during the day that I've ever noticed (I use a IP phone and am on conference calls all day so I would defiantly notice).

I have made a ton of changes to my account I dropped phone in 2012 and TV in the first part of 2014 and haven't looked back. On the "premier" internet level I've had no problems. That being said I at most have one or two streams/downloads going and don't share my connection with a bunch of other people.

At this point in time I would still recommend Cox to anyone moving to the area. The area I'm living in is in the Google Fiber footprint (if Phoenix/Tempe/Scottsdale) is selected. So if Google Fiber happens I will be seriously evaluating my options.

Comments:

sam green

@68.2.105.x

how about elephant in the room - data caps

The price you pay for capped internet is egregious. Not just that - COX Communiactions are actively pushing people into ordering overpriced business bundles by capping internet. With the speed they provide it takes less than a day to exhaust it. It's a classic monopoly, when cable TV company also happens to sell internet. They are not interested in making people use more. They are not offering plan with double data for extra 5 bucks. "Increasing" data cap with buying next tier is but a gimmick: price is much higher, the data cap - just a little bit. And they are not offering you to only pay for data cap increase. What they are interested in is selling more TV subscriptions.

So while the service per se is pretty good, the business practices they have would make me get away from them the very moment viable alternative shows up.
thornnnn

join:2002-02-14
North Kingstown, RI

Re: how about elephant in the room - data caps

cox cap 250/300/400 GB .. verizon fios caps 10 TB .. its not even close.. you can hit cox cap in a few hours .. I have no idea how long it would take to hit verizons cap. I wonder what the caps are in japan or korea.. modern nations?

Review by quaker See Profile

• Location: Rocky River,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Nice speed"
Bad "tv service needs to be ala carte"
Overall "great internet service"

11/2/08

just moved into apt next to me all i got to say about moving the service it was painful. First off i told them to turn it on in new place on the 1st which did happen modem fired up and everything was fine. then i get home that night and find out that modem is not connect to internet, i get a install cox page loading up when opening browser ( which errored out so i have to call tech support to get it fixed). so i call tech support man oh man i wanted to kill the automated service worst ever. so i started going through the automated service its saying it can fix it so I'm like OK,start going through the step and come to find out all its doing is very basic stuff which doesn't help me in the first place. so i try to talk to agent press 0 and the automated service is like lets try one more thing keep pressing 0 finally gets me in line for an agent. First off i pay 90 bux a month not to talk to an automated service so give me a choice not throw me into it and say its going to fix my issue. finally get to an agent she told me it my modem still had my old cfg and modem didn't like that so she got the new cfg into the modem hang up and come to realize that i cant get over 50kb/s so i call up again try my best to skip over the automated service get to an agent and he tells me that he has to send a tech out cause of high ping and signal noise.

Ok you would think when they turn on the service for a customer they would test and make sure that the service is up to par on there end. why should moving a service be this difficult when it was working fine earlier in the day and now you tell me you have to come out to fix it. come on now take the extra steps!

also to added about the service routing is horrible box's that are at a datacenter in the US and have decent pings and can barely pull 150kb/s ( doesnt matter the time of day).

3/5/09

cox is getting better added the hd channels to tv cox service really enjoy that, just sucks that you cant just get that with out the sd package or have something like basic channels on sd and hdonly that would be really nice. they keep adding more more hd channels more the better i dont even watch sd channels any more. the internet part is yet to be said. well ask for help in forum and the tech had teh engineer call me and supposly there splitting the node so hopeful this fix the speed issues i have

3/22/09

noticed that me bill went up $45 for internet jeez and still havent split the node i dont know how they can justify that

6/2/09

they finally split the node much much better speeds. also had to cancel there hd service and downgrade to limited basic cause hd was way to expensive $60 for basic and hd. cox needs to work on there tv package most people i know just want hd only channel and not have to have 2 other packages that you dont need( basic,digital service). there customer service has been decent.

06/01/10

Been all quiet on on problem with my service. Speeds during peak times are kinda poor but i can deal with it. Price could be much cheaper... added basic cable service and there trying to push people over to the digital service which is way too expensive and free HD come on now its not free lol it included in the price. i pay around $100 for cable and internet.

11/01/2011

Moved my service and also replaced modem with a docsis 3 modem which is the best thing to have. The moving of service from the internet needs some work,but all in all everything is working and up to speed.

08/04/2012

Internet service is still great, i'm 4x4 on up/dn channel bonding.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2102024632.png

I called a while back to cancel my TV service because it was getting too expensive and was crappy TV programming ( repeats all the time and channels i never watch). When i was talking to the rep they told me about the Cox TV Economy, you don't get any of the sports channels or any of the tuner network channels (tbs,tnt, etc), or bravo ( which my wife wish we still had). Then i got the HD reciever and enjoy all the hd channels i'm able to get. Being that we mainly watch truTV, E!, and history channel most of the time it was a good fit plus reduce my cable bill. I went from $120 to $90.

3/29/2013

I have since remove all tv services in favor of netflix. Tv service we would never watch and the stuff we would was a repeat or just didn't feel like sitting through a crap load of commercials to see a 30 minute program. I also have upgraded my internet package to the next level Premier. So i now pay $65 for internet and $8 for netflix and get to watch what ever i want at any time i want.

06/27/2014

Still with out TV service from cox cable and no plan on going back unless a miracle happens and ala carte is a thing. As far as internet service, its great. Currently i'm locked into price lock contract for 65.99. I haven't had to many issues lately with my internet service and i get my advertised speeds.

member for 12.9 years, 2768 visits, last login: a few hours ago