Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by jchambers28 See Profile

• Location: Alma,Crawford,AR
Good "50/10 service is really fast better than centurylink "
Bad "Not goole fiber expensive for what u get capped installer was a asshole."
Overall "if ur stuck in a centurylink area this is ur only real option. "

I have had service for 3 days not seems to be stable. Good speed 50/10 really fast. I had a installer the was a complete asshole with a bad attitude to go with it. Glad I did the self install option. the service is so far so good.

Comments:

Review by Laszlo See Profile

• Location: Ocala,Marion,FL
Good "Reliable connection, good introductory pricing"
Bad "Horrendously incompetent install techs, required multiple visits"
Overall "With the slowest speed, DSL was actually faster, but bundling is cheaper"

After visiting my 82yo grandmother in April, I found she had been paying $77/mo for home phone AND $33/mo for her _long distance_ provider. I bought her an Ooma and set up $4/mo VOIP service, which doesn't charge her 5 cents/min to talk to her grandkids. Unfortunately, I was 1000 miles away when we realized her internet was provided by her phone company and the Ooma number port would terminate her CenturyLink DSL, thus cutting off her VOIP phone too. I hurriedly arranged for Cox internet (her existing cable TV provider) to be set up, and ordered a cable modem and router for her from Newegg (to avoid an $8/mo modem rental fee).

Trying to leave enough time for the package to arrive first, I scheduled the install for May 2. Unfortunately, the confirmation email listed April 30 instead (it was 12:30 AM on the 30th). This would be a problem. I started a chat with Cox to try to correct their error, but the CSR said it would be impossible for her to fix it. I'd have to do that by phone at 8:00 AM, before the install window. After a stressful sleep, I sorted it out in the morning.

However, it turned out that the install tech was incompetent and wasn't able to complete the install that Friday. Despite listing the requirements in my online order (running a cable to her sunroom and likely installing a wall jack), the Cox guy came unprepared to do that. After 3 days of no phone or internet service, Cox was able to get her hooked up. Yet this time, they did a sloppy job, leaving the cable hanging off the outside wall and creating a tripping hazard in the yard. My grandmother (who had cracked her hip after tripping on a garden hose last year) called many times to complain, and I think it took a couple more visits before it was tidied up for her.

Following the install though, everything seems to work fine. Calls from her are usually good quality. Though sometimes scratchy, which might be the Ooma, or because she chose the slowest 1 Mbps option for internet. It is cheap though. $15/mo for the first year, and $30/mo thereafter. I'm visiting again currently, so paid $5 to bump up to 5/1 Mbps (promo possible for 6 months, but can be downgraded with no penalty to the $15 promo when we head home). 50/5 speeds would be $63, 100/10 would be $74, and 150/20 would be $100, if she had the need, which is cheaper than I get in PA.

Comments:

Review by UFO BOGIE 1 See Profile

• Location: Wichita,Sedgwick,KS
Good "Very Good Service, Very happy .."
Overall "Going to stay with them ..!!!!"

·Vonage
I had ATT. DSL, for about 4 years...., Just got tired of the run around. and the add ons, just time for a change. I had the 1.5 speed but the best thay could get me is 1.1 or 1.2 at the best.. So I went with Cox I've had it about 2 months so far,, so good.. I'm on the 7 mg speed now, but going to do the 3 months at $29.99, then go to the 1.5 speed at $26.99, I'm retired, can;t aford the good stuff,, plus I just do a little surfing and reading so that will work good for me. Will let ya know how it goes in a few months. Update 7/2/08...Very Happy with Cox.. Service has been very good... The 1.5 speed is alot faster than the 1.5 speed of the DSL that I had with ...ATT... Customer service has been real good & fast.. & get to talk to a real person faster too...... so I'm very happy with what I have.. Its 2/01/09 Been with Cox for awhile now.. very happy with the service.. I don't have any problems with them.. GOOD SERVICE..!!! Update 8/14/09... Still a Very good Service.. NO problems at all.. UpDate..8/14/11.. Well I left this area for 2 years. Went to the NW. part of Alabama, Had Comcast Service, it was a Bad...!! A lot of problems with the service, I am so glad to be back with COX.... BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK...!!!!!

Comments:

UFO BOGIE 1

join:2008-05-01
Wichita, KS
·Cox HSI
·Vonage

WATCH OUT..!!!

I've been with Cox around 6 years now.. You better kee an Eye on them thay will Double charge you ..if you don't keep a close watch... & getting your money back will be... Well ...!!! Let me put it this very hard & thay will put extra charges on ya..so watch it..!!!

Review by amungus See Profile

• Location: Manhattan,Riley,KS
Good "fastest available in area"
Bad "recent troubles with consistency"
Overall "usually very good"

·KCH Cable
Update: 10/23/2014

50Mbps since a few months ago. Bill is just north of $60/mo.
Consistently get advertised speed, sometimes a bit more.
Max available in area is now 150Mbps (two tiers above where I am now, still on "preferred")
Next lowest drops all the way from 50, to 5Mbps for a small amount less per month.
Latest DOCSIS 3.0 modem (8x4 channels, I believe) has been steady for over a year, and has paid for itself instead of renting one. Hoping it's useful for a good amount of time. Cox service still good, though price has crept up over the years.

---
Update - Sep. 5th 2013:

Back to Cox since around June 2013. The house had a rental modem/router combo unit (Cisco, I believe) and speeds were inconsistent, as was wireless stability. Replaced with a modem that I purchased, and new router. Speeds stable and consistent ever since. Wired connection was slightly better on the rental, but it's nice to own my own stuff, and I prefer to have a router that I can tinker with a little bit.

Currently on the "preferred" plan (25Mbps I believe) and speeds are consistent.
Their fastest plan is 100Mbps, I think. "Powerboost" allows for 188Mbps, so I have heard.

It's good to be back.

---

I've had Cox internet since 2002. When I first signed up, I was on the 3Mbps "preferred" package and would get 4.4Mbps most times. Since the upgrade to 4Mbps, I got 4 down, and 512kbps up, which was good.
At that address, they were great. Not only was the service good, their support was awesome. Any problems were solved quickly and by friendly people.
One day a line was snagged by a passing truck, and they had people out there fixing it that very same day, and double checking every point on the road. Techs were always friendly and took pride in their work, and for good reason.

At my new address, I signed back up with them, on the standard "preferred" service again. Things went smoothly, and speeds were consistent.
After about a month, I had to go to the "basic" 256kbps up/down for financial reasons. It worked, barely. I suffered through it, and was still able to surf web pages fairly well.

Recently, I opted for the "premier" package because of a promo offer for 3 months at $40.
I have yet to see 9/1 speeds. Upload has been mostly consistent, at 1 Mbps, but download speeds have been nothing short of horrible. Sometimes, in the early morning hours, I can see 5Mbps, but this is NOT what I am supposed to get.
After numerous calls, and troubleshooting, the issue is still unresolved in my area. The last tech mentioned that my modem might be bad, so I might try a new one. We'll see. From the forum talk, I gather that something bigger is to blame, so I can't say that the local folks are really at fault here yet.

Speaking of the modem, I went with one that they wanted to loan me. Instead they offered a very nice option that I did not know about at the time.
Monthly payments on it. For 4 months, I paid it off about $14 at a time. This was very nice since I didn't want to drive down to a local store and plunk down however much all at once.

Since these troubles, I must say I'm slightly disappointed at the level of service though. Phone techs have been good and bad, but none of this is their fault, and really they can't do a whole lot other than dispatch a tech. Sure they tested my signals etc. but were rather unhelpful the last time I called...
The service tech who tested everything was about my age; young adult. Very knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. He informed me that there was nothing really wrong on my end, and that there wasn't much he could really do.

If the speeds return to 'normal' I'll be a happy camper, but for now, I'd rather have a reliable 4Mbps than this flaky "premier" service which has been horrible.
Download speeds in the evening hours have varied from 2.5Mbps down, to 512kbps down. Very inconsistent to say the least.

Still a good isp for the area, and the people are great. At this point, my patience is running thin, so I may yet consider DSL even though I'd rather not have to get a phone service with that. Either way, as long as the service is consistent, it really is unbeatable around here, so if you go with them, and they're sailing along smoothly, you should be just fine.

UPDATE - 2-27-06
The premier rocks. Finally got the 9/1 package, and can sometimes get 11Mbps!!! My internet goes to '11'!!! Still a lot slower at nights on occasion, but that's because there are tons of college students in my area, and that's just how cable works sometimes. Hey, no complaints here after things got updated. It has become more consistent, and that's all that matters right now.

UPDATE - 12-1-06

Back to "preferred" service for the past several months. Speeds have been very consistent, and I've only had a couple of very short outages that never really affected me. Upload is 512Kbps, Download is now 6Mbps as per a recent upgrade. I've seen speeds nearing 7Mbps at times, but it's usually more consistently around what they advertise at 6Mbps, which is plenty fast for me. The bump for me is reason enough to stay on the preferred instead of spending any more money on "premium" services, though the premium is pretty fast!

Overall, Cox is still doing pretty good w/their internet service around here, and the speed increase is a nice bonus. As long as it's consistent, I'm happy.

------------

UPDATE 7-2-07

Well I've been "upgraded" to whatever the latest speeds are now 6-7Mbps I think, and things are going well for the most part.

No recent disconnects or REALLY bad speed drops like before. Things have just been, well, stable for the most part.

Every once in awhile I do a speed test, and have got some incredible "boost" speeds of up to 22Mbps! ..Granted, those don't last very long, but sustained download speeds have been up to 1.5Mega BYTES per sec! ...Avg. is more like anything from 800KB/sec to 1.2MB/sec.

They must've changed some things at their office, because things have been mostly stable.

Only weirdness is that my IP address has changed a couple times, once it was to some address that was in/near Louisiana if I recall...

Still a fair deal around here as long as you can get a stable link. DSL is nowhere close to their speeds though it is usually a bit more reliable in the long run.

Comments:

Review by Mivoc See Profile

• Location: Mesa,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Fast download speeds"
Bad "Intermittent packetloss. Terrible technical support."
Overall "Internet connectivity is unreliable, somedays its great, somedays not so much."

Ongoing problems with internet connection makes it impossible for online gaming. I play a lot of online games and have a lot of packet loss issues to my first hop. I have had several techs come out, they never find issues and say the signal looks great. Yet I still have constant packet loss problems especially during peak hours and weekends.

Dealing with technical support is a nightmare. The technicians on the phone offer little more than basic assistance such as rebooting equipment. Anything beyond power cycling devices is a automatic onsite technician. Onsite techs only check problems inside the house and up to the pedestal it seems, anything beyond that is a ticket to yet another department. None of these departments seem to have any idea what the other is doing. It is impossible to follow up with them and find out what is going on.

If you live the in northwest Mesa, stay very far away from Cox.

Comments:

Review by intel1212 See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "Reliable, good tech support (Cox techs participate in forums here..)"
Bad "Really none, except my perception that the price is high -- no "
Overall "Reliable, fast -- seems to be better value then Embarq"

·VOIPO
UPDATE 9/27/2014:

Still with Cox. They raised prices, then raised speeds (have the Moto SB6121). Still only using service for IP connectivity. Have had a couple of problems, but support has been very good from Cox. Example of support includes calling for assistance earlier this year on a Saturday and tech came on-site to house ~2 hours later (their problem with cabling between house and their network).

UPDATE 7/11/2013:

Still using Cox HSI, no phone or TV services. Moved to new ASUS NT-66U router using standard ASUS firmware. Still great performance from Cox and my overall home network. I did downgrade my service from Premier to Preferred, going from $68 to $55. I constantly get ~30 Mb down, ~6-8 Mb up. That is plenty for me. Still think the price is on the high side, but again, no "real" competition in the LV/Henderson market (please, Centurylink users -- there is no comparison in speeds, period). The tech support on dslreports.com forums is outstanding. There are a couple of techs that monitor and answer questions.

*******************************************************************

UPDATE 1/16/2012:

I only use Cox services for IP (no phone or TV services). Moved to a Linksys router WRT54GS, running Tomato USB and also have a Motorola SB6120 modem. 2 major benefits of this move. 1) Faster download and upload speeds, and 2) much, much more stability in my Voip services -- IF there are some type of network issues (whereas before, I had to always reboot my Voip adapter). The stability of the Voip service I attribute to the Tomato USB OS on the router -- Highly recommend this version. Had a few connection/reconnect issues last spring, but tech support fast fast, quick, sent tech out and re-provisioned all cable connectors from my house to street -- solved problem. Highly suggest using dslreports forums to report/discuss issues you might see, excellent resource of information from all members here. Overall, happy with Cox IP services. Feel price for premier level is on the high side (and they just raised the price $1 from $63.99 to $64.99), but there is really no other competition in town for the speeds I am seeing.

Comments:

Review by broadshouldr See Profile

• Location: Lafayette,Lafayette,LA
Good "Generally fast"
Bad "ridiculously expensive; periodically drops circuit"

Premier internet. Touted 50Mbps down, recently uplifted to 100Mbps, these speeds are a joke. Actual download speeds vary from 6Mbps to 24Mbps. Upload speed often surpasses download.

Order and install were good, basically the result of them hiring excellent installer.

I used my own equipment that is listed on their supported list (NetGear).

Overall satisfied, but feel that I am paying too much. ADSL is not really an alternative, so they are gouging customers.

Comments:

Anonguy

@68.106.20.x

What modem do you have?

Make sure it is Docsis 3.

Review by N10Cities See Profile

• Location: Fort Smith,Sebastian,AR
Good "Fairly consistent speeds, friendly customer service"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Very fast service, compared to other solutions locally."

Currently using the Cox Bundle.

Phone quality is excellent, TV picture quality is great with no pixelation encountered so far at any time of the day. Currently subscribed to Premier Internet tier and am getting very consistent up and download speeds at most times of the day.

I have heard we have DOCSIS 3 service now, but need to save the greenstamps to get a compliant modem so I can enjoy the new speeds, but currently using an Arris eMTA which is working very well for me..

Update! 3/30/11. Upgraded to the Cisco 2850 Gateway device so I would be DOCSIS 3.0 compliant (still running Premier) and it REALLY boosted my speeds. Last test on Speedtest.net was 62 Mb down / 5.5 Mb up.

Recently got an HD TV and upgraded one receiver to HD (no DVR). Picture quality has been excellent.

Highly recommended service!

Update 10/5/12

No changes. Service still rock solid...

Update 9/16/14

Currently using Ultimate Tier and no TV. Consistently pulling 170-180 Mb/sec on speedtest (i know, i know, boost...but still fun to watch). Streaming Netflix works perfectly with no lag as well as high throughput downloading content from Steam, Origin, etc. Highly recommended.

member for 12.8 years, 5277 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by AmericanLoco See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Fairly reliable, decent speeds"
Bad "Hideously expensive, "
Overall "It's probably better than comcast."

Cox is alright. It's really expensive for what you get and the cable TV image quality is really bad, even the HD channels. Way too much compression. OTA digital broadcasts look much better. The internet is ok, but does suffer from minor outages occasionally. Also, if you don't have a DOCSIS2 modem, they'll inject messages into websites you go on harassing you to upgrade to a DOCSIS3 modem on your own dime. Pretty shady practice there.

member for 1 year, 180 visits, last login: 50 days ago

Comments:

Review by BryanInPHX See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Reliable Connection"
Bad "Phone CS, and Tech Support not very Tech savy"
Overall "Downloads vary from 50Mbps to 100Mbps w/ 4x4 modem"

Update 09/11/14
Cox High Speed Internet Premier (100Mbps/10Mbps)
Cox has delivered overall excellent service and reliability over the last 13+ years
I still have a 4x4 SB6120 modem, so the download speeds can drop to 40-50Mbps during peak times. I am sure this would be more consistent if I upgraded to a 8x4 modem, I just do not feel the need at this time.

Update 02/16/12
Cox has not delivered on advertised speeds in almost 1 year. The best sustained download with Premier HSI at off peak times I can achieve has dropped to 17Mbps, I would drop to Preferred HSI, but I would lose my grandfathered bundle discount which is a substantial discount.

Update 05/28/11
Received new firmware SB612X-1.0.5.1-SCM00-NOSH, firmware is very stable.

Update 04/20/11
Cox Arizona claimed they were raising speeds, But Cox eliminated or substantially limited PowerBoost. Sustained Downloads now only average 19Mbps, so increase was actually a decrease. Also, burst speedtests are now capped at 30Mbps with Premier HSI, Where before burst speeds could easily exceed 60Mbps.

Update 09/01/10
Premier HSI - Sustained Download speeds are still averaging 22Mbps, Good job Cox.
Firmware updated to SB612X-1.0.3.1-SCM00-NOSH on 08/30/10

Update 05/08/10
Sustained Download speeds are still averaging 22Mbps, Good job Cox.
Reclaimed DL speeds by moving back to SB6120-1.0.1.7-SCM00-NOSH, after Cox finally admitted SB6120-1.0.2.4-SCM01-NOSH did indeed have a speed issue: »Re: SB6120 1.0.2.4 Speed Concerns

Update 4/28/10
Download speeds are back up today with sustained DL speeds averaging 22Mbps, Thank You Cox, I hope the issues are resolved.

Update 4/27/10
Seriously, often I actually have to wait for images to load, Did I switch to DSL during an Ambien coma???

Update 4/21/10
I have Premier HSI - 20/4Mbps Service, 25/5 w/ PowerBoost®
I switched to an SB6120 modem on 4/3/10. At that time my sustained download speed was an average of 22Mbps, and was fairly consistent for about two weeks. I noticed my modem logs were gone at 10pm Thursday evening 4/15/10, and thought it odd, and posted it online. I noticed Monday morning 4/19/10 that my sustained download speeds now averaged only 12Mbps. I then discovered my modem firmware had been updated on 4/15/10. That explains the missing modem logs. Does it explain the 50% reduction in download speed? You do the math!!! I am paying for 20/4Mbps service and getting 12Mbps. Preferred HSI is 15Mbps @ $46.95, I think Cox owes me an $18.06/mo credit as long as this continues.

I have had Cox HSI since it was Cox@Home, many years ago, about 10 years. Cox@Home started out at $29.99/mo w/ 10Mb/s download speeds. At that time it was not always reliable. The past several years have been mostly reliable. My connection now is always reliable, and speeds tend to be as advertised. I am on the Premiere service w/ Phone and DVR/HD Cable, with two tiers and HBO & SHO. Pay a total of $202.00/mo.

Every Tech to visit my home by both Cox employees and Cox contractors, have been a pleasant experience. Techs have been respectful, well prepared, knowledgeable and have always resolved my issues, including pulling a new line from the pedestal to replacing splitters to calling other Techs for advice. Phone CS and Tech Support on the other hand is usually not very helpful. The same goes for Live Chat and email support.

Modem: SB6120, Firmware: 1.0.1.7-SCM00-NOSH

36.32 Mb/s
Average Upload Speed
6.11 Mb/s

Average Sustained Download Speed: 22 Mb/s

Comments:

AGBM01

@68.111.124.x

Slow speeds

Get a 8X4 modem or even 16X4 modem

Your 4X4 modem is your problem, if all 4 down channels are swamped you will have slow speeds. you are paying for a service thats going to be affected buy your modem, you need to be using a 8 Down X 4 Up or 16 Down X 4 UP (channels)

BryanInPHX
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

Re: Slow speeds

Yes, I realize the 4x4 modem is the issue, At this time I do not feel the need to upgrade, as I really have no use for speeds above 40-50Mbps.

AGBM01

@68.111.124.x

Cox upgrades and you have slow speeds

1. Upgrade modem
2. Upgrade router must be compatible to modem to get = performance
3. Are you wired or wireless? Being wired you will see speeds your looking for.
4. If you are like many, most people use wireless and not wired, Wireless going to be slim to get those speeds and may need an AC router. AC routers performance is great, and can get you up to the speed increase you are looking for. Are your wireless cards in your computers up to the speed increase of an AC router?

Cox offers the best products available to it's customers. Customers need to make sure there equipment is capable of even getting the new speed increases. As a customer you must realize Cox can give you all the speed you want, but if your Equipment is outdated its your fault you are not getting the speed you want.

BryanInPHX
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

Re: Cox upgrades and you have slow speeds

My Router is an ASUS RT-N66U, Speeds are equally as good wired vs wireless. Desktop is wired, Laptop is WiFi.