Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by debbieandjon See Profile

• Location: Aliso Viejo,Orange,CA
Good "Reliable."
Bad "Price Gouge - holy crap!"
Overall "18 Mbps down / 2 Mbps up"

I have been with Cox@home since 1/2000. Forward to 12/2002... Packet loss makes my system crawl many times throughout the years. Before blaming my cable modem the technician changed every connection from the computer to the street and checked packet loss. Still there... After swapping my old Best Data CMX110 (one year warranty expired) for his Toshiba he found the problem. This time I bought the Toshiba PCX2200 with a 5 year warranty. In the past I have found the less experienced or lazy techs will say the problem is your retail modem without going through the obvious checkpoints.

8/2003... We are now paying an additional $3.95 "service ASSurance plan" to
cover our inside cable and modem. DSL will be a consideration in the near future
if we keep getting hit with rate increases. Besides, filesharing is no longer

allowed unless you have deep pockets... Boycott all RIAA products.

3/2004... Download speeds seem a bit higher through BBR speed tests. I haven't
had to use the "service ASSurance plan" yet. San Diego's plan is $2.95. Cox
will not give me a rational answer as to why Orange County is more money.

6/2005... Cox internet has been reliable. While service speeds have increased
the price remains the same. Although DSL is a better deal, I am still using Cox
because of the bundling discount.

11/2006... A price increase of $2.00/month when DSL prices are dropping! Download speeds were increased to 7000, but the upload speed of 512 remains
unchanged. I don't see much of a difference between 4000 and 7000. The TV ads and home mailings want you to believe that KOx is doing us a favor...

Thank you DSL Reports for the excellent service. (c:

05/2007... I am now getting 8000 for download and the upload remains the same at 512. After considering a move to another company, I called Cox to complain about the prices. They gave me a 6 month discount to keep me satisfied.

02/2008... Using a docsis 2.0 cable modem now. (Moto SB5101) Downloads are faster but the upload speed remains the same. The quality of service is still A+

08/2008... Another price hike! $3.04! The 7.25% increase is higher than the rate of inflation. The total with the ASSurance Plan is $48.94. The service is great but at what point will I say enough. Tough financial times call for the need to shop around.

02/2009... The price has remained steady. $44.99 plus $3.95 for the Cox ASSurance Plan. I test my speed on a regular basis. The service has been
reliable during the 4 to 5 hours per day it is used. Speeds: 12 down / 1 up minimum.

06/2010... Price hike to $46.99 plus $3.95 monthly for Cox's ASSurance that I won't be charged for service calls. The "PowerBoost" feature hasn't worked in a couple of weeks. My download speeds have decreased to 10 down / 1 up. Preferred tier.
UPDATE: Speeds were restored by a modem reboot that was recommended by a Cox expert on the forum.

06/2011... Another price increase. The "Preferred" service is now $50! The "we won't charge you extra if our Cox service fails" fee called Cox Service ASSurance Plan still remains $47.40 a year!

11/2011... Cox Service ASSurance plan had it's name changed to something more benign, Cox Service Protection Plan.

11/15/11... The Cox DNS servers were down. Phone service waiting time went from a busy signal to 45 minutes. The rude Cox Customer Service Representative would not provide a work around. See the Dslreports Cox HSI forum for other Cox fumbles...

2/14/12... Again, another price hike. $4.00 or 8% more, for Cox High Speed Internet Preferred. It's now $53.99 plus $3.95 for the Cox Service Protection Plan. (Customer service costs extra if you don't pay the monthly shakedown fee - now how is that fair?)

11/17/12... Speed increase from 12 Mbps / 1 Mbps to 18 / 2.

7/08/13... Cox Service Protection fee is $5.99 per month. $55.99 for preferred. 18/2. I was able to negotiate a lower rate for one year.

4/30/14... $61.99! WTF! I'm dropping the Cox Service Protection. If there is a problem and they want money I will use another service.

member for 14.7 years, 1305 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by LeeCNE See Profile

• Location: Tiverton,Newport,RI
Good "Faster than advertised on DOCSIS 3."
Bad "No problems"
Overall "Excellent service."

Excellent service. Blazing speed, faster than advertised. Very reliable.

Comments:

TerrapinNiel

@98.176.95.x

Terrible email Access Support

The worst !! Simply no words to explain the 45 minute wait two days in a row trying to fix a problem. After two days trying and a total of more than 1hr 30 minutes we got a hold of a nice lady who said that she could not help repair email access. That they will charge $90 dollars to resolve the problem directly The very nice and calm lady (gotta give her that) simply had no way of helping. She had no access to email, could not receive emails, could not join.me, could not share creen, couldn't practically do anything other than answer the call and charge $90 dollars extra for the already overpriced cox service.

Review by JJG3 See Profile

• Location: US
Good "Lightning fast, great service"

·HughesNet Satell..
I have Cox for home internet, which is great. I ordered it for our business and they went out of their way to find the right package and pricing. A few days later, we were up and running. Speed is governed down to 100 MBps but spikes higher occasionally. Never lower than 100. The few calls I've had to make were simple and effective. And I can get to my account rep by email, no need to deal with different people every time.

Very solid.

Comments:

Review by planet See Profile

• Location: Olmsted Falls,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "All and more"
Bad "None really. I could only gripe that the cost might be lower and the speeds even higher"
Overall "Get it !!!"

Gotta love cable. Promo for first 3 mos., 19.95 a mo. Self install without a hitch. Great speeds 2800/230 and that was 5 yrs ago. Today, the speeds are running about 10000/512 for about the same cost. I've had a good solid connection for 5 yrs. Only lost it a couple times and this may have been related to hardware issues and once when a neighbor cut the underground cable while installing a fence. Tech support has been awesome. Typically answer quickly and are courteous and helpful to the degree possible. The Techs on the Cox forum here at DSL Reports have been extremely helpful. I think as the market continues growing and becomes more competitive, I hope Cox will offer more speed for less price.

Update, 10 years later....still with Cox. I continue to concur with my comments above. They have the best speeds locally. I have my internet bundled with TV so costs are a little lower. Wish the bundled cost was lower. I have the preferred package which offers 25 down and 5 up. I own my own modem and router. My connection remains rock solid. Only a few times have there been issues.

member for 12.9 years, 5073 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by nmlobo See Profile

• Location: Yorktown,York,VA
Good "Internet and system reliablity"
Overall "Everything works as advertised"

Internet is reliable and speed tests normally are at or above advertised levels. We have several internet connected divices, ipads, ereaders, frames, televisions, and computers that are constantly connected. I travel quite often so I especially appreciate the ease of logging onto my email account using the web interface. The few times I have had to contact support, the response was timely and the issue was corrected. I was not happy with the latest round of price hikes however Cox remains competative with FIOS which is available in my neighborhood. Long time customer (more than ten years).

member for 11.9 years, 2625 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by stanley_qaz See Profile

• Location: Gilbert,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Fast, fairly reliable (except e-mail in and out) and Cox techs visit the forum here"
Bad "good mail blocked, outgoing server won't send all messages, some important ports blocked"
Overall "If you can live with having to go elsewhere to reliably get and send your mail it is not bad"

·HughesNet Satell..
April 2014 - the blocked incoming/outgoing e-mail issue is still here and still a problem.

Some ports are blocked so you can't connect to or from other computers on them. Really a pain for e-mail since the Cox mail server blocks good incoming mail and the server will reject (without notifying you) outgoing mail for no good reason and you have to use another mail service to send it.

I have spent hours on the phone and e-mailing Cox support and the bottom line is that the Cox servers won't send some e-mail messages and there is nothing they are willing to do about it. I'm not talking about spammy stuff but sending a friend a simple image often will not work. They offer a "thisisnotspam" address but sending to that has not unblocked sending the same message to another address. Update: This is an ongoing issue as of March 2012 and little has been done to improve the situation for a couple years now. I have to rely on Gmail's SMTP server to send messages. Update November, 2012: The random blocking of incoming and outgoing messages has improved some but it is still far from perfect. Update November 2013: Moved my mail to other services as the problem appears to be un-fixable. Update April 2014, had to send some mail using Cox servers and several were blocked, back to my alternate servers.

Cox is also blocking incoming mail based on URLs in the messages, the source of this blocking is suspect as it blocks legitimate messages. If you want to get your political e-mail do not trust Cox to accept it and if you want to send anything with political links check to be sure it was actually sent on to the addressees by Cox. Outgoing mail is deleted without notice so you have to BCC your Gmail or Yahoo account to see if it actually went out from the Cox servers. Seeing more reports of legitimate senders that can't send mail to Cox customers and can't get Cox to fix the problem.

member for 11.6 years, 4380 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by brnreaves See Profile

• Location: Virginia Beach,Virginia Beach City,VA
Good "Reliable connectivity"
Bad "Horrible installation techs! Subcontractors could care less!!!!"
Overall "Cox is a good reliable ISP service that can't manage their size!"

None: COX HSI is the only logical choice in Va Beach, West Neck area.
COX Premier Package 15Mbs down, 5Mbs up. 56.00mo. bundle package. 52.00 dig phone service is going to be removed in place of Vonage, or similar. I represent the West Neck Community (local source) for everything "computers and/or media home related" I firmly believe that the installation services from cox communications are horrible w.r.t. the retirement community. I have been a part of several HSI package installs in the community and I'm still in shock as to the response integrity of local install techs as well as customer support employees. I guess they figure that integrity refers to a recorded message with a 20min prompt session followed by generic answers, and followed up with lies. There isn't enough space here to relate with details, and I am a very "silent" kind of guy in the net world, but enough is enough, thus this post.

Motorola 5200 / purchased new. Thank god I didn't opt for there VolIp box? "anyone can sling cable all over hell!"

Last bullet = the above and it keeps going round and round.

Room for thought.... consider the demise of the auto industry, The bigger you are, the harder you fall!

Brian

Comments:

Review by pholdy See Profile

• Location: Lemon Grove,San Diego,CA
Good "Never had a problem with my internet"
Bad "MY HD T.V. was unreliable for 6 months. Finally called them and they sent a tech and fixed the problem with a new box."
Overall "Works as advertised"

COX utimate package..

Kinda expensive, but worth it!

Comments:

Review by Hard Harry See Profile

• Location: West Warwick,Kent,RI
Good "Fast and dependable. Can own all hardware."
Bad "Sometimes saturated peering"
Overall "Was Cox customer before, during and after employment."

::Full Disclosure:: I worked for Cox communication for seven years in a technical roll, but no longer have any connections or discussions with them, ending my employment sometime last year. If this is a conflict of interest, moderator please delete.

I have had Cox since 2005 when download had just been upgraded to 1.5Mbps!! I now have their Premier plan with a Cisco DPQ3212 and a Asus RT-N66U. The only reason I'm not using a stand alone modem (which I usually suggest to other) is to bypass the splitter needed for two separate devices. Only the occasional outage every 6-8 months or so, generally either weather, ingress, or general maintenance related. The only major issues I have was between Cox and Youtube, that took several months to resolve, but was resolved to my satisfaction. Overall I was happy to be a Cox customer, but now I am moving out of their footprint. Thank you for the 9 years of service!

Signal levels

Channel 4: 38.9 dBmV

»www.speedtest.net/result/3407457764.png
»mcs.focusvision.com/myspeed/db/r···d=153704

member for 4 years, 551 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by DJsailor See Profile

• Location: Falls Church,Fairfax,VA
Good "Fast speed"
Bad "Headache each year trying to keep costs down"
Overall "Works well but service is slipping"

We had Earthlink/Covad DSL but it went though a Verizon Switch Office and every few months went down. Problem was Verizon since they sent out techs to our home to help trouble shoot why we kept losing connection. Tried to get Verizon DSL since we figured if we only had to deal with Verizon, we would have less problems. Verizon could not even get the order in. Spent hours on the phone with Verizon and after a month, gave up on them. Cox came when they said they would. Did a nice install job, and help deal with a telephone problem caused by Verizon. System has only gone down for a day over a years time. Very fast but sometimes hangs. I find hitting the refresh solves the issue.

Update 3/1/14:

Well, we've been with Cox for 6.5 years now. Have TV, Internet, and 2 Phone lines with them. They are starting to slip in service as they move to protect their profits. I have to call each year to bargain with them about keeping my bill down. Even then, it has crept up from $180 to $220 a month. My internet speed has increased though not as much as they say. A speed test through the Cox web page says 32 mbs down and 20 mbs up. DSL Reports tests have been showing a lot slower: 12 mbs down and 6 mbs up. Package I have says "Speed UP TO 50 mbs down and 10 mbs up. Needless to say I am not seeing anything like that.

Cox is also cutting back on their Call Center help. It use to take about 1-2 mins to get help. Now I wait 15 to 20 mins to get a 'person' on the line to help. Then it takes 3-4 transfers to other people to get the one who can help. I got an email from Cox saying they have updated their system and I now need to get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem (vs the DOCSIS 2.0 I had) to get the speed I am paying for. The email says I can rent or pay a single time fee. Calling them, I found out I can get a new modem for free since I have phone service with them. Was told I could have it sent to me. Transferred to 3 people and found out I had to bring it to a Cox Service Center (a half hour away, not too bad but a heck of a way to spend a Friday night!) The Tech at the store there tried to figure out my bill and could not. He, at least, is professional enough to say he wants to research it and get back to me. Kudos for him to understand what customer service is.

BOTTOM LINE: Cox Internet is OK for now but their service/tech help is slipping.