Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by tronester3 See Profile

• Location: Tulsa,Tulsa,OK
Good "Very good download speeds, I get 50mbps down, 10mbps up. Excellent latency as well."
Bad "Pathetic Data usage cap of 300 gigabytes per month."
Overall "Unfortunately they are the best option in Tulsa. Maybe Google will lay fiber."

I've had Cox for several years now. The speeds are a bit better than ATT Uverse from what I've seen. Every once in awhile I will have a connection issue where I will have to reset the cable modem.

Called up their sales as I needed to upgrade from preferred to premiere. Told Saleswoman I was thinking of switching to ATT. Asked what kind of discount I could get. She took off 30 dollars or so from the entire 175 dollar bill. Said that was the best she could do. Then told her to transfer me to the cancellation department. She then said she handled that. She asked if I wanted to cancel service immediately, I said no, set the disconnect date for two weeks from the day in order to have ATT service put in first. She immediately started backpedaling and dropped another 20 dollars off the price. Sketchy that they can lie to customers like that.

No latency issues for online gaming. Pings of sub 40ms are common.

For 25mbps, you will utilize your entire data usage allotment for the month in just under 24 hours assuming you max out your downstream connection. Obviously this isn't typically going to happen.

If you divide out 250 gigabytes over an entire month, your download speed would ACTUALLY be less than 1mbps. Pathetic if you think about it.

****New Review****

Several years later, here I am back to update. I just bought a new docsis 3.0 modem and cut all of my services except premier internet. I have no complaints whatsoever with the speed, which is now 50mbps down and 10mbps up. Low latency as well. What I am mad about are the data caps. My downstream is now double and upstream almost quadruple what they were, yet my data cap has only gone from 250 gigabytes a month to 300. I've already gotten emails from them that I am using too much of their precious bandwidth. They are the only option in town at this speed range (AT&T is 18/2.5 max) and cox knows it. I guess I will continue to stream my 4k netflix and use my online backup and keep getting notices from them until they actually threaten to cancel my account.

Comments:

Review by averagedude See Profile

• Location: Murrieta,Riverside,CA
Good "-"
Bad "-"
Overall "-"

Update: As of the first of Jan 2011, I have moved and I am no longer in Cox territory.

member for 12.7 years, 2699 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by johnlgalt See Profile

• Location: Bonaire,Houston,GA
Good "Good high speed, fast to upgrade before making public announcements about upgrades"
Bad "Higher than 1% downtime b/c of upgrades"
Overall "Well worth the price"

We have the premier package from Cox HSI, which used to be their top tier for consumers, but now the top tier is held by the ultimate package. For the price, though, compared to the offerings in the ultimate package, we save $30 / month and get near the same speeds on the downstream.

Overall, I am happy with Cox's service, and their customer service, when I have had to deal with them. When my old Motorola SB 5120 simply would not let me get speeds any faster than ~32 Mbps, I call support and they advised me that since I had had the connection for so long (9 years as of now, 7 years at that point) the modem, being DOCSIS 2.0, could not handle the higher speeds, and then asked if I wanted to buy a replacement modem. I verified that I could purchase one anywhere, and connect and it would be ready to go with all provisioning in place, and she (Cox CSR) advised me to give them a call.

Purchased a Motorola SB 6120, made the connections, called Cox, and was back up and running within a minute of the call.

As for the original install, they were gracious enough to take a look at the house's older wiring (RG59) and run a new direct line to the location where the modem is currently at.

Previously had bundled with Cox IP Telephone services, but gave that up several years back in favor of Vonage.

Running everything through a NetGear WNDR4500 4 port wired + Wireless (a/b/g/n) router that I configured myself with additional security measures in place.

Wired, I routinely get 7+ MB/s download speeds, and wireless I can still pull as fast as 4+ MB/s.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with Cox HSI.

Comments:

Review by debbieandjon See Profile

• Location: Aliso Viejo,Orange,CA
Good "Reliable."
Bad "Price Gouge - holy crap!"
Overall "18 Mbps down / 2 Mbps up"

I have been with Cox@home since 1/2000. Forward to 12/2002... Packet loss makes my system crawl many times throughout the years. Before blaming my cable modem the technician changed every connection from the computer to the street and checked packet loss. Still there... After swapping my old Best Data CMX110 (one year warranty expired) for his Toshiba he found the problem. This time I bought the Toshiba PCX2200 with a 5 year warranty. In the past I have found the less experienced or lazy techs will say the problem is your retail modem without going through the obvious checkpoints.

8/2003... We are now paying an additional $3.95 "service ASSurance plan" to
cover our inside cable and modem. DSL will be a consideration in the near future
if we keep getting hit with rate increases. Besides, filesharing is no longer

allowed unless you have deep pockets... Boycott all RIAA products.

3/2004... Download speeds seem a bit higher through BBR speed tests. I haven't
had to use the "service ASSurance plan" yet. San Diego's plan is $2.95. Cox
will not give me a rational answer as to why Orange County is more money.

6/2005... Cox internet has been reliable. While service speeds have increased
the price remains the same. Although DSL is a better deal, I am still using Cox
because of the bundling discount.

11/2006... A price increase of $2.00/month when DSL prices are dropping! Download speeds were increased to 7000, but the upload speed of 512 remains
unchanged. I don't see much of a difference between 4000 and 7000. The TV ads and home mailings want you to believe that KOx is doing us a favor...

Thank you DSL Reports for the excellent service. (c:

05/2007... I am now getting 8000 for download and the upload remains the same at 512. After considering a move to another company, I called Cox to complain about the prices. They gave me a 6 month discount to keep me satisfied.

02/2008... Using a docsis 2.0 cable modem now. (Moto SB5101) Downloads are faster but the upload speed remains the same. The quality of service is still A+

08/2008... Another price hike! $3.04! The 7.25% increase is higher than the rate of inflation. The total with the ASSurance Plan is $48.94. The service is great but at what point will I say enough. Tough financial times call for the need to shop around.

02/2009... The price has remained steady. $44.99 plus $3.95 for the Cox ASSurance Plan. I test my speed on a regular basis. The service has been
reliable during the 4 to 5 hours per day it is used. Speeds: 12 down / 1 up minimum.

06/2010... Price hike to $46.99 plus $3.95 monthly for Cox's ASSurance that I won't be charged for service calls. The "PowerBoost" feature hasn't worked in a couple of weeks. My download speeds have decreased to 10 down / 1 up. Preferred tier.
UPDATE: Speeds were restored by a modem reboot that was recommended by a Cox expert on the forum.

06/2011... Another price increase. The "Preferred" service is now $50! The "we won't charge you extra if our Cox service fails" fee called Cox Service ASSurance Plan still remains $47.40 a year!

11/2011... Cox Service ASSurance plan had it's name changed to something more benign, Cox Service Protection Plan.

11/15/11... The Cox DNS servers were down. Phone service waiting time went from a busy signal to 45 minutes. The rude Cox Customer Service Representative would not provide a work around. See the Dslreports Cox HSI forum for other Cox fumbles...

2/14/12... Again, another price hike. $4.00 or 8% more, for Cox High Speed Internet Preferred. It's now $53.99 plus $3.95 for the Cox Service Protection Plan. (Customer service costs extra if you don't pay the monthly shakedown fee - now how is that fair?)

11/17/12... Speed increase from 12 Mbps / 1 Mbps to 18 / 2.

7/08/13... Cox Service Protection fee is $5.99 per month. $55.99 for preferred. 18/2. I was able to negotiate a lower rate for one year.

4/30/14... $61.99! WTF! I'm dropping the Cox Service Protection. If there is a problem and they want money I will use another service.

member for 14.7 years, 1307 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by LeeCNE See Profile

• Location: Tiverton,Newport,RI
Good "Faster than advertised on DOCSIS 3."
Bad "No problems"
Overall "Excellent service."

Excellent service. Blazing speed, faster than advertised. Very reliable.

Comments:

TerrapinNiel

@98.176.95.x

Terrible email Access Support

The worst !! Simply no words to explain the 45 minute wait two days in a row trying to fix a problem. After two days trying and a total of more than 1hr 30 minutes we got a hold of a nice lady who said that she could not help repair email access. That they will charge $90 dollars to resolve the problem directly The very nice and calm lady (gotta give her that) simply had no way of helping. She had no access to email, could not receive emails, could not join.me, could not share creen, couldn't practically do anything other than answer the call and charge $90 dollars extra for the already overpriced cox service.

Review by JJG3 See Profile

• Location: US
Good "Lightning fast, great service"

·HughesNet Satell..
I have Cox for home internet, which is great. I ordered it for our business and they went out of their way to find the right package and pricing. A few days later, we were up and running. Speed is governed down to 100 MBps but spikes higher occasionally. Never lower than 100. The few calls I've had to make were simple and effective. And I can get to my account rep by email, no need to deal with different people every time.

Very solid.

Comments:

Review by planet See Profile

• Location: Olmsted Falls,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "All and more"
Bad "None really. I could only gripe that the cost might be lower and the speeds even higher"
Overall "Get it !!!"

Gotta love cable. Promo for first 3 mos., 19.95 a mo. Self install without a hitch. Great speeds 2800/230 and that was 5 yrs ago. Today, the speeds are running about 10000/512 for about the same cost. I've had a good solid connection for 5 yrs. Only lost it a couple times and this may have been related to hardware issues and once when a neighbor cut the underground cable while installing a fence. Tech support has been awesome. Typically answer quickly and are courteous and helpful to the degree possible. The Techs on the Cox forum here at DSL Reports have been extremely helpful. I think as the market continues growing and becomes more competitive, I hope Cox will offer more speed for less price.

Update, 10 years later....still with Cox. I continue to concur with my comments above. They have the best speeds locally. I have my internet bundled with TV so costs are a little lower. Wish the bundled cost was lower. I have the preferred package which offers 25 down and 5 up. I own my own modem and router. My connection remains rock solid. Only a few times have there been issues.

member for 12.9 years, 5083 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by nmlobo See Profile

• Location: Yorktown,York,VA
Good "Internet and system reliablity"
Overall "Everything works as advertised"

Internet is reliable and speed tests normally are at or above advertised levels. We have several internet connected divices, ipads, ereaders, frames, televisions, and computers that are constantly connected. I travel quite often so I especially appreciate the ease of logging onto my email account using the web interface. The few times I have had to contact support, the response was timely and the issue was corrected. I was not happy with the latest round of price hikes however Cox remains competative with FIOS which is available in my neighborhood. Long time customer (more than ten years).

member for 12 years, 2633 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by stanley_qaz See Profile

• Location: Gilbert,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Fast, fairly reliable (except e-mail in and out) and Cox techs visit the forum here"
Bad "good mail blocked, outgoing server won't send all messages, some important ports blocked"
Overall "If you can live with having to go elsewhere to reliably get and send your mail it is not bad"

·HughesNet Satell..
April 2014 - the blocked incoming/outgoing e-mail issue is still here and still a problem.

Some ports are blocked so you can't connect to or from other computers on them. Really a pain for e-mail since the Cox mail server blocks good incoming mail and the server will reject (without notifying you) outgoing mail for no good reason and you have to use another mail service to send it.

I have spent hours on the phone and e-mailing Cox support and the bottom line is that the Cox servers won't send some e-mail messages and there is nothing they are willing to do about it. I'm not talking about spammy stuff but sending a friend a simple image often will not work. They offer a "thisisnotspam" address but sending to that has not unblocked sending the same message to another address. Update: This is an ongoing issue as of March 2012 and little has been done to improve the situation for a couple years now. I have to rely on Gmail's SMTP server to send messages. Update November, 2012: The random blocking of incoming and outgoing messages has improved some but it is still far from perfect. Update November 2013: Moved my mail to other services as the problem appears to be un-fixable. Update April 2014, had to send some mail using Cox servers and several were blocked, back to my alternate servers.

Cox is also blocking incoming mail based on URLs in the messages, the source of this blocking is suspect as it blocks legitimate messages. If you want to get your political e-mail do not trust Cox to accept it and if you want to send anything with political links check to be sure it was actually sent on to the addressees by Cox. Outgoing mail is deleted without notice so you have to BCC your Gmail or Yahoo account to see if it actually went out from the Cox servers. Seeing more reports of legitimate senders that can't send mail to Cox customers and can't get Cox to fix the problem.

member for 11.6 years, 4383 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by brnreaves See Profile

• Location: Virginia Beach,Virginia Beach City,VA
Good "Reliable connectivity"
Bad "Horrible installation techs! Subcontractors could care less!!!!"
Overall "Cox is a good reliable ISP service that can't manage their size!"

None: COX HSI is the only logical choice in Va Beach, West Neck area.
COX Premier Package 15Mbs down, 5Mbs up. 56.00mo. bundle package. 52.00 dig phone service is going to be removed in place of Vonage, or similar. I represent the West Neck Community (local source) for everything "computers and/or media home related" I firmly believe that the installation services from cox communications are horrible w.r.t. the retirement community. I have been a part of several HSI package installs in the community and I'm still in shock as to the response integrity of local install techs as well as customer support employees. I guess they figure that integrity refers to a recorded message with a 20min prompt session followed by generic answers, and followed up with lies. There isn't enough space here to relate with details, and I am a very "silent" kind of guy in the net world, but enough is enough, thus this post.

Motorola 5200 / purchased new. Thank god I didn't opt for there VolIp box? "anyone can sling cable all over hell!"

Last bullet = the above and it keeps going round and round.

Room for thought.... consider the demise of the auto industry, The bigger you are, the harder you fall!

Brian