Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by Porkchop61YD See Profile

• Location: Niceville,Okaloosa,FL
Good "Very reliable connection, good download and upload speeds"
Bad "Cost, 300 GB limit -can easily exceed with moderate Netflix/HBOGO usage"
Overall "About the best you can get around here; satisfied, but wish it cost less"

Currently have the Cox HSI Premier package (50 Mbit download, 10 Mbit upload, 300 GB soft limit) and usually achieve better than 60 Mbits down and 15 Mbits up. In addition to Cox, also looked at Sprint DSL and Dish satellite service, both of which cost less, but suffer in performance. Wired LAN connection to a laptop and AV receiver and wireless connections to two laptops, three phones, four tablets, and some other multimedia equipment all being served by a Motorola Surfoard SB5120 cable modem (4x4 bonding) and Cisco E4500 router. I be upgrading the cable modem to a Motorola SB6141 as Cox now supports 8x4 bonding and update this if I get any significant boost in performance. My wife works 8 to 10 hrs a day from home on the computer starting around 7:00 am, and the kids and I are online till at least 11 pm or later almost every day and we very very rarely experience any dropout or significant problem with throughput. I also run a guest network. My son plays a lot of MMOs without any problem as long as the ports are configured properly. Overall, I do like Cox, and in 10 or so years of usage, I've only need to call for service a handfull of times. On-site service for installation, upgrades, or to address any problems like line noise/quality has been fairly prompt, courteous, with resolution in one visit (except for this last time where I had to call twice about burying a cable). Service over the phone to resolve simple problems hasn't been quite as good, but I'd judge it better than average (and I work with a lot of IT service providers and vendors). Biggest thing I dislike is the price and usage limits Cox has implemented. With a wife that works from home and several teenagers that like to use Netflix, HBOGO, Amazon Prime, etc. for shows and movies, we easily exceed the soft usage limit of 300 GB on the Premier package (447 GB last month). The Ultimate package only goes up to 400 GB at a whopping extra cost of $31/month, which is just not worth it.

Porkchop61YD

Comments:

Review by argosdex See Profile

• Location: Walker,Livingston,LA
Good "Great when it works."
Bad "Good luck if it ever stops working."
Overall "I wish there was an alternative."

February 23, 2014

About me, skip to second paragraph if you like.

I may not be a genius and I am certainly not the most knowledgeable guy in the world, I am in my late 50's and have worked with electronics since I was about 13. The kids I used to hang out with and I were nerds and geeks even before the term came about. When IBM started selling personal computers in 1981 I bought one, and have since worked, repaired, and configured systems. All that just to say that I am not the "average user" and that I know a thing or two.

I've had Cox for about six years now, always on the Preferred plan ("up to" 25 Mbps D/L), on average I've had to call them over issues about every other month, although there have been periods where I didn't have to call them for months. Other times, like February 2013 when I had to call them seven times due to packet loss and line noise.

Ever since December 24, 2013 it has been nothing but trouble, outages, low speeds (below 1Mbps), line noise, random modem resets, etc. When the service goes out I am usually the first one in a development of 200 homes to notice, I am on the computer ALL the time, it's my source of income. When I call to report a problem the CSR will always ask me if I reset the modem, put a pinky in my ear, stood on one foot and rotated, tell me that there is NO problem in the area and that they will send out a tech. Yet if I call 10 minutes later there is a recording that there is an outage in the area, yeah I just told you guys that, not that you would take my word.

The company policy seems to be that every time that a subscriber reports a problem they are to insist that it's the subscriber's problem, their system is lily white clean, they must have learned that lesson from old dusty AOL customer service manual. It's not the employees fault, they do what they are told by the higher ups.

Finally fed up I've started keeping detailed records of every problem:

February 2, 2014 outage between 21:45 and 22:25
February 19, 2014 Remote Modem Reset 00:39
February 19, 2014 Remote Modem Reset 01:25
February 19, 2014 Remote Modem Reset 03:07
February 19, 2014 between 03:07 and 07:05 Slow speeds below 1 Mbps for 4 hours

Starting to get the picture? Now they started to blame my five year old Motorola SB5101 DOCSIS 2.0 modem, I knew, just knew this to be a giant, steaming, stinking pile of that stuff that bulls leave behind in fields. Apparently my modem was all rusty full of cobwebs, termites and evil spirits, so I caved in because once I had a new modem they would not be able to blame that anymore. BTW the CSR in Oklahoma that praised the modem I would get from Cox as if would solve all my connection difficulties for all time to come, and was apparently infused with magic beams would be totally free of charge if I took my old modem to the office, when I asked to be sent something in writing he stated that it did not exist, it was company policy. Once again I knew this to be not just one bull come across the telephone wire but a whole stampede...

So, on February 19, 2014 at about 3:00 pm CST, I became the "proud owner" of a Cisco DPC3010 DOCSIS 3.0, for which they made me the kindness of charging me $100, I felt loved and appreciated as a customer, really... The desk I was bent over was slightly uncomfortable, but I felt very loved.

The same gentleman from Oklahoma who claimed that the new modem would solve all my problems, also claimed that my connection speeds would be so much faster, neither statement turned out to be true, the connection was just as lousy and my speeds did not increase at all. however I felt really, really happy that I had spent $100 and was just dazzled but the little green LEDs.

A day later:

February 20, 2014 Remote Modem Reset 01:02
February 20, 2014 Remote Modem Reset 03:01

Once again to the same old problems... sigh... Back to the gentleman from Oklahoma, he had also had the kindness of scheduling a technician to come to my home on February 20, 2014 between 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm "just in case".

The gentleman that showed up must have known that I am an old dude because the had the kindness of now showing up until 4:20 pm, just to let me catch up on my nap I presume, old people need naps you know, lots and lots of naps... He was a young guy in his 20's in a bright yellow Dodge pickup with a Cox sticker on the door (a subcontractor), this gentleman graduated from the Splitter School, i.e. all internet problems are solved by replacing a splitter thereby charging the customer $50 for a $2 item.

It didn't solve one single solitary thing!!!! You know why??? Because the problem is in Cox's equipment, OUTSIDE my house!!! And no fixing it with Elmer's glue and duct tape won't do any good either.

After the gentleman with the yellow truck left on:

February 20, 2014 Remote Modem Reset 10:50
February 21, 2014 Remote Modem Reset 01:06
February 21, 2014 Remote Modem Reset 21:52
February 22, 2014 between 03:38 and 04:32 Speeds below1 Mbps
February 22, 2014 between 04:32 and 04:45 complete outage
February 22, 2014 as of 04:54 my DS light on my brand new $100 modem is now yellow.

I called Cox again, and the CSR I spoke to made me the special favor (?) of scheduling a technician on Sunday Feb 23 between 10 am and 12 pm. Let me see if I got this right, I bought a new modem, they changed a splitter and the service is still lousy and you're going to make me wait some more, aww man you really make me feel wanted, let's go out on a date!

I guess I'll have to apply for a second mortgage I fully expect the guy that comes out tomorrow (today actually) is going to tell me that I need to update my plumbing and my electrical system due to "bad waves", and have a priest come to the house to perform a full exorcism to rid the place of evil spirits.

I don't know about where the rest of Cox customers live, all I know is that for $62.99 a month I should be getting reliable service and not a whole bunch of runaround. I'll be sending a nasty gram to Patrick Esser, President of Cox, probably nothing will come of it but at least I'll get to tell him what I think of his company and how it works, because in my neck of the woods it works more like a vacuum cleaner than an ISP, you know what vacuums do, don't you?

Tonight once again between approximately 8:30 pm and 1:00 am my connection did not top 4 Mbps. Just now at 1:50 am I checked it again and I am barely getting 13 Mbps DS.

Comments:

cschumm

@cox.net

Got my HSI Fixed by COX after FCC Letter

I had a similar problem with COX back in 2010. I am an engineer and have worked a little with RF. My HSI service kept going down several times a month. When I called COX I was treated like a little boy with the COX CS person reading from a script which never fixed the problem.

Half hour later the HSI service would be working OK. I knew someone was pulling a line somewhere between my house and the Internet Backbone.

I had it and wrote a letter to the FCC. I did not send a copy of my letter to COX.

About 3-4 Weeks later a COX supervisor/manager contacted me and they wanted to come to my home to investigate.

Two COX people showed up and they replaced almost every connector between the drop and my modem. They said they found a loose connector which I know wasn't loose. All connectors were good and tight. But they had to tell me they found something so as not to incriminate themselves.

Long story short - my service has been excellent since that experience. I can't believe it took a letter to the FCC for COX to fix my situation. To this day I believe this was being caused at the Head End at COX. Calling COX repeatedly did not work for me..

I also thought maybe it was my Modem, but it wasn't.

Hope this may help.

Chuck

Review by ikyuaoki See Profile

• Location: Wichita,Sedgwick,KS
Good "Ultra fast broadband!"
Bad "nope."
Overall "load balance & super fast performance scaled"

my ultimate tier is super fast since the tweaking both my router and my computer of settings (network settings/network registry settings) is worked.

member for 3.3 years, 385 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
tommytomthms

join:2006-10-07
Pittstown, NJ

What speeds? What package are you on?

are you on the 50+ meg package?

ikyuaoki

join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS
·Cox HSI

Re: What speeds? What package are you on?

I'm on premier tier, depends range from 35Mbits to 85Mbits (powerboost for few seconds) downstream that I'm on bonded four channel downstreams and I'd say they are great a superfast and also I gets no lags for my gaming that due my own special configuration settings includes registry settings for TCP and ethernet settings a stuff.

Review by johnpd See Profile

• Location: Green Valley,Pima,AZ
Good "Very Reliable; Good price for the speed."
Bad "DNS server issues"
Overall "Good value for what you get"

I have the "Preferred" service for $44.95/mo. Moved into a new home a little over a year ago. Got the bundled cable/Internet/phone services. I had no problem with the order and install process. I provided my own modem (Motorola SB5120). I had an initial problem for several months where the Internet would drop out on me and the only way to get it back was to power cycle the modem. I found out that the version of firmware in my modem was sensitive to noise and that a newer firmware corrected that. I called Cox Support and requested an update. The support agent said that Cox does not do that. Well several hours later, a firmware update came down from Cox to my modem. Except for that experience, I have had pretty good experiences with support. I have had some dropped speed issues a few times. That seems to be more common up in the Phoenix area. I suspect Cox was doing some work in the area.

Update: 01/23/2010

I have had very few issues with Cox now. I was upgraded to the "Premier" package (however it cost me an extra $10). Premier now costs me $59.95. Several months ago, Cox apparently upgraded our area. I noticed an increase in my SNR. I used to have signal numbers around 34-35. I now get numbers consistently around 37-38 with Download Power levels in the low single digits and Upstream Power levels in the low 40's. Those are the best signal numbers I have ever had. I receive download speed numbers many times in the low 30mbs at Speedtest.net. The one issue I (and a number of others) did run into was trouble with Cox's DNS servers. I would frequently get "page not found" errors even when I was within the same domain. I switched to OpenDNS and have had no problems since then.

Update: 12/15/2010

Several months ago I started having problems with my 4yr old SB5120 modem. I was about to replace it with another of the same model when I received a letter from Cox indicating they were about to upgrade the area to DOCSIS 3. I decided to purchased a SB6120 modem instead of a SB5120. After installing the new modem, I got an immediate improvement in speed. After a couple of firmware upgrades that Cox sent down and a router firmware upgrade I made to my D-Link router, my signals and speed are outstanding. Consistently getting 100mbps or over down and over 6mbps up on the Cox Arizona speedtest site. I am a happy camper. The "Premier" package is now $64.99.

Update: 7/10/2011

I still have Cox's Premier Internet service for $65. Several months back they gave us a "speed increase" from 20 to 22 mbps. However, they apparently cut back on the Powerboost which now lasts for just a few seconds. I was getting insane speed test results (130mbps +) prior to this upgrade but afterwards now get around the specified speed rate for the Premier service. Still very reliable.

Update: 7/25/2012

No real changes to my review. Same service (Premier), same hardware (SB6120). Have had no serious issues. Getting speed tests of 30+ Download and 6+ uploads.

Update: 2/26/2013

No problems to speak of. Our area was upgraded this month. With premier service I now have speeds of around 5o mbps up and about 13 mbps down. Can't complain.

Update: 2/16/2014

No changes since last review. Still have the SB6120. I have encountered no issues.

member for 10.7 years, 3310 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by scorpio949 See Profile

• Location: San Clemente,Orange,CA
Good "customer service "
Bad "very expensive, worse value for your money "
Overall "I would switch in a minute if I could find the same speed anywhere else, your only choice for cable internet"

Purchased the premier internet speed says up to 50Mb/s but have never gone beyond 30. So emphasis on the "up to part".

Comments:
nmlobo

join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA
·Cox HSI

Worst value?

If Cox is the only option in your area, how could it be the worst value for your money? Since you say it is the only game in town, you have nothing to compare it too; doesn't that make it the only value? We have FIOS and Cox available at my home........guess what, the prices nearly are identical both over $70 a month for a 50m plan.
pkuzma

join:2010-11-24
Metairie, LA

Re: Worst value?

exactly... this review is terrible and should be removed.

Review by cdunnman See Profile

• Location: Roanoke,Roanoke City,VA
Good "internet"
Bad "speed for the money"
Overall "updated review 1/27/14"

we Have the preffered package at 25/5 the order process was smooth the modem is a Motorola SB5101

I been with cox for a total of 30 yrs, i think for the speed 25/5 is too high, I mean i atleast should get over 25/5 but there nothing i can do I guess.

but over all it is a great service, just not that great on the speed, and the price for how much they are charging

Comments:

Review by jaykaykay See Profile

• Location: Scottsdale,Maricopa,AZ
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Overall "So far, excellent."

·Speakeasy
We had a lot of things we needed to do before getting up and running with Cox. Switching for them was a breeze and they installed our router/modem and set it up within an hour. It took me considerably more time to change our DNS hosting, etc. So far, Cox has been great. The price is part of our package so isn't broken down on this report. It comes in about $10 less than our old ISP, including cost of of new hosting service, and is soooooooo much faster. Tested about 1/2 hour ago, and it registered, from our old ISP's test page at:

Your Speed Result:
Download Speed: 9348 kbps (1168.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 14267 kbps (1783.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

We ordered the Preferred Level and bought one of the Cox store's combo router/modem, a Netgear N900.

When we were buying the hardware and setting up an appointment time and date, the only thing I can say about Cox's store sales is that they are very aggressive and really lay it on thick, much of what they answered re: ?'s

from me. The store salesperson had raved about that "he was ours for how ever long we needed him, would set up the router and take us through all we needed to know for Cox mail". Most of what they told me was not true. For me, that wasn't a problem, but for others, it might well have been.

The installer came here thinking that he was on a problem call when all we needed was for him to set up the router. No trouble call at all, and that was that.

As time goes on, I will flesh out this report, but it's really too new to write much more.

Ordered package:
Internet•25 Mbps download
•5 Mbps upload
•Secure Online Backup with 5GB
•Spam Blocker
•Cox Security Suite powered by McAfee®
•Up to 10 Webmail accounts
Download speeds of up to 25 Mbps.

member for 14.3 years, 5271 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by huntermcdole See Profile

• Location: Tucson,Pima,AZ
Good "Nice Speed, Easy Install"
Bad "Transfer of Service Locks Account, Cost keeps going up."

·ViaTalk
-- Updated Jan 23, 2014 --

Service is still going strong, only issue is the ever increasing price. I am around $70 per month now for internet access. I started around 2004 at $45 per month and it has increased by about $3-$5 per year. I did a 2 year price lock to try to keep my whole bill down to about $110 for both cable and internet.

-- Updated June 21, 2012 --

Got the new DOCSYS 3.0 modem. Lots of problems getting it activated.

Bought the modem at the Cox store since it was around the same cost as online. Sales person asked if I would like the modem activated on my account so I could just hook it up and go. I said sure. That's where all my problems started.... Got home and hooked it up expecting that it would just work. Nope, it wasn't activated.

Called support and spoke to a lady about it and she said they could activate it. Gave her my MAC address(multiple times as she couldn't seem to type it correct) then she got a manager to activate it.. No go, it wouldn't activate. She said they would need send a tech to my house to look at it and offered to re-activate my old modem. This also failed as it's no longer a supported modem, so she said there must be a problem between them and the modem.... She said the soonest they could send someone was 5pm the next day, and if it was an "inside" problem it would be $50 unless I signed up for a $5 service... Pissed I signed up for the $5, this whole thing took an hour on my cell since I only have VoiP during which time the store closed....

Called support back about 1 hour later and guy tried to activate the modem, it was still a no go so we would have to wait for the appointment...

Posted a message on DSLReports and got a reply that I should try again since it took them a few tries to get someone that knew how to activate a modem.... Tried back about 3 hours after my first call and got another guy. He asked me to verify the MAC in my ticket and found the lady had typed it wrong even after repeating it 4-5 times, 1st guy never even asked to verify it... Modem was activated finally, but there was an issue with my router getting a 0.0.0.0 ip address, tech suggested I power it down for 12 hours and try again, which I did. Upon powering back up it still wouldn't pull and IP address. Hooked directly to my computer got an ip and then cloned my MAC on my router so I could hook it up. 0.0.0.0 problem seems to be an issue with the Cisco Modem and my Buffalo router running DD-WRT

-- Updated November 10, 2011 --

No real problems with service since 2007, I have gone back to the normal tier for online gaming. Recently disconnects have been happening, but from the sound of it it might be my modem again, since 2007 I have had 3 modems ( 1st one was a Linksys Modem a bad firmware got pushed to it... 2nd was a Motorola Surfboard 5120 it just died one day ... most recent is a Linksys CM100 and it appears that multiple people are starting to have issues w/ this modem. Looking at getting a DOCSYS 3.0 modem, and will see how it goes. Costs are still going up though

-- Updated August 15 2007--

Changed to lower tier to lower price. Am happier now than I was before due to it being close to Qwest's price. Have 1.5 x 256. At first I though I would have 512 upload but they had wrong info on the web but I don't upload much anyway so 256 is fine.

-- Original Review --

Started with Cox 2 years ago and they are great. Not sure if I made the right choice buying a modem since it looks like that one is out of date and I need to buy a new one. Moving cause a little bit of a problem in that you account is locked until you call them after it is hooked up.

member for 9 years, 2230 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by chuckkk See Profile

• Location: Warner Robins,Houston,GA
Good "High speed transfer, fairly reliable."
Bad "Very occasional serious drops in data transfer, intermittent long ping times, etc."
Overall "Connection Quality improved, ~63Mbps download speeds"

Basic order/install experience was so long ago that it's not germane.

Cox takes advantage of a near monopoly in the area in terms of price and service levels.

Speed and so forth have generally improved in the last several months, as a result of local network upgrades. It's interesting that the local network (to Atlanta anyway) is capable of speed at or above 100mbps. Cox may quietly start advertizing higher speed capability.

Currently with "Premier" I'm seeing ~63mbps down, and about 1/2 that up, except to SEATAC and the surrounding areas.

The modem log still fills with "Uni-cast Maintenance Ranging T3 timeout errors, and the "DHCP Renew Warning Field Invalid" errors. This makes the modem log sort of useless for diagnosing intermittent problems. You would think Cox can correct the problem.

As usual, the underlying problems with Cox have been network related of one type or another. They still have un-needed truck rolls as a default. Further, they may charge for the truck roll, even when it's a network issue, forcing the customer to re contact customer service to get the charge removed.

As to the cable TV side, The commercial quantity is huge and increasing, along with about 10% annual rate increases. I'm seriously considering dropping all but basic TV, or re aiming my outdoor antenna to the multichannel HD tower NNE from here. That tower has all the major broadcast networks available.

Comments:

FreeBSDuser

join:2013-05-15
Somers, NY

Local cable company TV. Cox internet.

I think you can use your competing local cable company for TV and Cox for internet.

Review by dltwyman See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "connection ok. low pings most of the time."
Bad "low data cap. speeds not as advertised. Cost high for the bandwidth we get."
Overall "I wish they weren't as much of a monopoly and we had a FIOS choice"

Have had for 7 years. Now capped at 300GB . all we do is streaming ( no torrent downloads ) . we are trying to cut the cord and we run close to this 300 line every month . Pretty lame considering we pay a premium price for "Premiere " package - which is supposed to be 50Mbps and burst to 63Mbps - even their own speed test only gets us 26Mbps - 18Mbps on external services so no where close to what we pay for . Used to have Ultimate 100Mbps package but we got the exact same speeds as current package - so increasing the package only increased our bill . I can wait until someday Vegas and its suburbs get decent FIOS.

Comments:
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

FiOS

FiOS isn't coming to Vegas. It's a VZ product and you're not even near any VZ service areas.

Anonguy

@cox.net

Speeds

Sounds like you either have a Docsis 2 modem Or cox still thinks you do as the 26mpbs is what Cox provisions your modem at,

If your modem is Doc3 call in and make sure your account is set up correctly.