Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by chuckkk See Profile

• Location: Warner Robins,Houston,GA
Good "High speed transfer, fairly reliable."
Bad "Very occasional serious drops in data transfer, intermittent long ping times, etc."
Overall "Connection Quality improved, ~63Mbps download speeds"

Basic order/install experience was so long ago that it's not germane.

Cox takes advantage of a near monopoly in the area in terms of price and service levels.

Speed and so forth have generally improved in the last several months, as a result of local network upgrades. It's interesting that the local network (to Atlanta anyway) is capable of speed at or above 100mbps. Cox may quietly start advertizing higher speed capability.

Currently with "Premier" I'm seeing ~63mbps down, and about 1/2 that up, except to SEATAC and the surrounding areas.

The modem log still fills with "Uni-cast Maintenance Ranging T3 timeout errors, and the "DHCP Renew Warning Field Invalid" errors. This makes the modem log sort of useless for diagnosing intermittent problems. You would think Cox can correct the problem.

As usual, the underlying problems with Cox have been network related of one type or another. They still have un-needed truck rolls as a default. Further, they may charge for the truck roll, even when it's a network issue, forcing the customer to re contact customer service to get the charge removed.

As to the cable TV side, The commercial quantity is huge and increasing, along with about 10% annual rate increases. I'm seriously considering dropping all but basic TV, or re aiming my outdoor antenna to the multichannel HD tower NNE from here. That tower has all the major broadcast networks available.

Comments:

FreeBSDuser

join:2013-05-15
Somers, NY

Local cable company TV. Cox internet.

I think you can use your competing local cable company for TV and Cox for internet.

Review by dltwyman See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "connection ok. low pings most of the time."
Bad "low data cap. speeds not as advertised. Cost high for the bandwidth we get."
Overall "I wish they weren't as much of a monopoly and we had a FIOS choice"

Have had for 7 years. Now capped at 300GB . all we do is streaming ( no torrent downloads ) . we are trying to cut the cord and we run close to this 300 line every month . Pretty lame considering we pay a premium price for "Premiere " package - which is supposed to be 50Mbps and burst to 63Mbps - even their own speed test only gets us 26Mbps - 18Mbps on external services so no where close to what we pay for . Used to have Ultimate 100Mbps package but we got the exact same speeds as current package - so increasing the package only increased our bill . I can wait until someday Vegas and its suburbs get decent FIOS.

Comments:
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

FiOS

FiOS isn't coming to Vegas. It's a VZ product and you're not even near any VZ service areas.

Anonguy

Speeds

Sounds like you either have a Docsis 2 modem Or cox still thinks you do as the 26mpbs is what Cox provisions your modem at,

If your modem is Doc3 call in and make sure your account is set up correctly.

Review by agill81 See Profile

• Location: Aliso Viejo,Orange,CA
Good "Everything"

No issues.

Comments:

sameboat

I am in the same boat

Every market has been upgraded except OC and even when we do get the upgrade, the ultimate tier will be 100Mb instead of 150Mb like nearly every other market. Worse they won't bump up the monthly usage cap for ultimate. OC is always the last to get anything even though we were one of the first HSI/digitalCATV markets.

Review by butchie See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "great"

After approx. 1 year with Cox, landline, cable tv and internet. Speeds are as advertised.
28 to 30 mb/s downloads, 7 to 9 mb/s upload
Customer service is great
Wireless is always strong
cable has everything I need.
One home tech visit for an outside damaged junction. Not bad for one year.

member for 13.6 years, 4628 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
rbmonical

join:2012-06-18

I agree - Cox is expensive but fast and reliable

I went a long time with no outages with Cox in Omaha.
There have been a few here in Phoenix and the NOC did not know what was going on. No outages for a couple of months now in Goodyear - SW valley
butchie

join:2000-12-29
Phoenix, AZ

Re: I agree - Cox is expensive but fast and reliable

Speeds still great. All's well here.............
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Never had a issue with speed

I've had cox for internet for the past 10 years in the Phoenix area.. Never had an issue with speed. Cox phone is ok.
Cox TV is fair. Directv is much better. High Def is clearer and I have the channels I want with Directv.

gamer101

Internet

I have had cox 1 yr .. Play lots of games etc.. Constant drops, Lags, bad customer support, At least every other month some one comes out to try and fix and says its our problem.. NO one knows why our internet drops on one computer and only one computer have gone thru 3 of their modems 2 of mine and they always blame it on the modem If Cox wasn't the only provider that supported good enough internet to game I would have switched already !!!!

Review by Liberty See Profile

• Location: Tucson,Pima,AZ
Good "fast, reliable, keeps getting better all the time - speed wise"
Overall "Wouldn't want to change"

Started service in '03 for $50 for 1.5/.25
Then it changed by Cox to $45 for 4/.5
then $45 for 8/.5
now its $45 for 15/.75

I should mention I am a satellite internet dealer and have a total of 3 FREE 1.5/256 pipes coming in and 1 2/256 also FREE

Since 03 I have had a total of maybe one week of no or bad service, all added together...

Yea, I think Cox rocks

Now the tail end of '13 and depending on test site I get between 10 & 30 down - doesn't make a hoot of difference which is correct, plenty fast

Cox raised rates this month to $63

member for 9.1 years, 2971 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by superpc See Profile

• Location: Gloucester,Gloucester,VA
Good "Connection is reliable and speeds are fairly stable"
Overall "Had no issues, connection has been excellent"

Had Cox for about 7 months now, and must say I have not had any problems whatsoever.

When I signed up, they did try to push cable TV on me but they were nice overall. Decided to go for the Premier Plan (then 15/2) with a 24 month prick lock. Once signing up, installer was very knowledgeable and helpful. After a few months of having service, speeds were upgraded to 25/5 because of network upgrades.

Service has been excellent so far. Consistently get the speeds that we are paying for (25/5) and often slightly higher due to "Powerboost." They are certainly one of the better ISPs, and one of the best cable ISPs for sure. If you live in a Cox area, I would recommend them hands down.

Comments:

Review by dlarkin_dc See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Fairfax,VA
Good "Internet speed close to rated, free McAfee Suite for 3 PCs."
Bad "Personable but ineffective tech support, poor DTV quality (dropped)"
Overall "Okay for Internet."

·VOIPO
UPDATE 6/2/13

Been seeing Netflix Super HD on our devices and (after Neflix fixed some glitches)that has been working fine.

Also, about that free McAfee software... I've dropped it for AVG after McAfee let bad virus in and I found four others after rebuilding my OS.

UPDATE 4/11/13

Just received a price hike on the internet, an extra $4 / month. I'm still on Preferred listed as 15/2 (SpeedTest.net usually tests 17-20/3 over the last few years) and I've never had bandwidth issues, even streaming Vudu HDX.

UPDATE 1/31/2011

Dropped all television from my plan today and keeping the internet service only.

Why? Two reasons:
(1.) Picture/Sound Quality - I was fed up with the picture and sound quality issues due to compression and distribution problems. Shows from streamed or by antenna have crisp and clear picture and sound quality.
(2.) "57 channels and nothing on" Syndrome. Well, maybe 300 plus channels, but we watch a handful of shows a week. All but two are available OTA, the others are streamed online free or 99c an episode.

So that I guess that takes me to a 3rd reason...
(3) I'll be cutting $82 from my bill, a cost I don't need for my television viewing habits.

No regrets. In fact, I'm excited to be seeing shows clean and clear again, for free.

UPDATE 11/8/2010

A month after finally getting a real body (a tech with a face, name and cell#) assigned to the ongoing PQ issues... nothing has been improved. In four weeks only one frequency/channel has been addressed and so far without improvement. All other channels are still experiencing minor but annoying problems.

As I now know how Cox address these issues, on a per channel/frequency basis, I am keeping a log of the channel/frequencies and PQ issues when they appear... six regular offenders and counting. l'll be a lot older and greyer before this is resolved at the rate Cox gets things done. My tech told me he escalated internally and suddenly things happened. That it had to get to that stage is a sad reflection on Cox field service/response in my area.

Simply put, there appears to be a significant distribution problem in my neighborhood for HD DTV services from Cox.

I expect I'll be switching to FiOS, or a combination of OTA/ClearQAM/IPtv in the next couple of months to get better PQ and save money to boot!

The internet has never been to problematic, so I'll probably keep that.

UPDATE 9/26/2010

It's been a few weeks since the last tech visit, so far ABC/NBC/Fox and major network stations are always fine but I am seeing infrequent snow/microblocks on every other channel at any time of the day or week. The Wed to Sat picture quality degrading is just as bad but non-network stations, BBC/SyFy/WDC are horrible. The way-out-wacky jitter seems to have gone too, better for my VOIP.

I expect I'm seeing a band-aid solution to local newtork load/congestion. Or maybe the change is the neighbors migrating to fiber

I've shaved my ratings back to reflect the current situation.

UPDATE 9/15/2010

On the internet I am seeing the same performance now for months, and it is acceptable, with a few caveats. Occasionally the DNS goes offline, I'm getting outrageous jitter so it's affecting my VOIP.

Worse still my DTV service is prone to breakups and freeze-ups on Wednesday through Saturday, 9am to midnight. The tech support has gotten very poor, a tech came out to my house said everything was perfect, but snipped off and remade every connection and then blamed the model of my STB. He said Cox didn't have any replacements but he'd get one for me when he could. So what... leaving me with unwatchable TV four days out of seven? Tech support on the phone will only reset by STB, and that does no good.

The service I'm paying for has gone from, "Eh, but I can live with it." in December to, "I am so ready to switch to FIOS." in the last three months.

UPDATE 3/26/2010

Seems like the spotty performance is gone, and I'm now bonding 3 channels. Whenever I test I'm usually seeing data rates about 11/3 (the plan is up to 12/5) so it's carrying Skype and VOIP without any problems.

Calls to Cox... I still get some great phone staff on the phone, clear talking, helpful, great attitude, but the grouches are taking over 2:1, IME.
Call wait times have been getting longer too.

I have added digital cable TV to my plan 3 months ago. That review is still in progress... oh, so not smooth sailing.

UPDATE 1/22/2010

In the new year I upgraded my modem to Surfboard 6120 and I'm seeing two channels bonded. Initially I saw snappier loading of web pages and large downloads are quicker. But,over the few weeks I have been seeing the up/downstream signal levels and SNRs drift about, sometimes close to acceptable limits. Sometimes I get nothing when a page should load and spotty performance. I am keeping an eye on this.

UPDATE December 2009

Having called in to verify the costs, to compare to FiOS, for digital TV Cox offered same cost as I was at gateway, 2 tiers and a HD DVR. I snapped up that deal and took the plunge. So far the picture quality has varied wildly and the DVR performance is barely adequate. I'll post a full digtial television review when I'm done figuring it all out.

ORIGINAL REVIEW

Been a COX HSI customer for close to six years... I picked up a modem/service pack (a Motorola Surfboard and 50ft of co-axial cable) at Circuit City. I just hooked it up at home, phoned Cox to activate the service and I've been online almost non-stop since - we've only had two short outages!

FYI - We're on our second Surfboard now, they do have a lifespan.

The COX support people are friendly but the tech support is best when guided by a geek (me, in this case) who knows what needs to be fixed otherwise you'll be chasing down blind alleys, but all tech support has gone that way it seems.

I think, when I started using COX HSI, the speeds were 5/2. COX always upgraded the speeds for consumers as the higher speeds became available. The currently cited speeds are up to 12/5 and that is what we usually see using Speedtest.net

The McAfee VirusScan Suite that you can get free as COX HSI subscriber is worth about $50 in software and $20/yr in virus scan updates.

I get the HSI bundled with the cable analog TV service from COX and the cost of the combination is begining to be be uncompetitive, at $103/mo. For a little more I can get Verizon Extreme HD and 50/20.

Comments:

Review by Tinger See Profile

• Location: Las Vegas,Clark,NV
Good "Generally I get very fast internet both up and down."
Bad "Peering with Youtube SUCKS! too many service calls for issues on their end."
Overall "Both their technical support and their contracted "trucks" are generally clueless with their own issues."

I have the 20/5 and get far better speed than that most of the time. When this internet works it is great. However, I have had 4 service calls over the past 2 years and each time they were not warranted. Modems replaced, complete rewire of house, etc. I spent so much time trying to convince their tech support (note NOT customer support) about a routing issue, peering problems, etc. but they refuse to accept that a "customer" may actually know more than they do. They are so frustrating to deal with on a technical level I have generally given up. I just come to DSLreports.com and read to find out what is going on and wait for someone to say Cox is aware and fixing or just to stupid or unwilling to admit problems (like the current Youtube peering bandwidth problems in the SW US).

I will stick with them because the other option is Centurylink and they are HORRIBLE.

Comments:

Review by DataDork See Profile

• Location: Irvine,Orange,CA
Good "fast fast fast / low low low pings"
Bad "nothing!"
Overall "100 mbits is sweet"

initial package @ 50/5.. free speed bump a couple months into the service and now im at 100/20.

bottom line. LOVE IT and its very stable.

Comments:

Review by sfogliatelle See Profile

• Location: Baton Rouge,East Baton Rouge,LA
Good "no apparent outages that I'm aware of; Much, much better than DSL!"
Bad "too soon to tell. certainly no issues with speeds thus-far."
Overall "I'm OK with the current cost of the service."

Am sharing the cost of this service with my sister, whose house it is. We had AT&T DSL previously, and as you might imagine the difference is obvious.

According to Cox, the internet service we're subscribed to is "Preferred" which, if you're patient enough to sift through their site, is rated at 25MB down. The internet part of the monthly bill included a $6.99 charge for rental of the router/modem.

Since the internet was bundled with TV and phone, install involved more than a modem, which, it turns out, is a 'gateway' (modem+router) Cisco DPC3825. It was nice that it has 4 ethernet ports, just like the next-to-worthless 2Wire it replaced.

We had DirecTV before. Besides the typical learning curve of a new remote and menu interface, one big plus is that on demand is just that: instantaneous. The not-so-good part is that Cox' HBO and Showtime do not include previously cancelled series like Deadwood, Rome, The Wire, Weeds etc, much less their respective entire libraries as did DirecTV. Oh well.

I've been doing periodic speed tests from four different sites, in various areas of the house. Since calling their tech support early on to change manually wireless channels, I've been consistently getting faster than 25 down and 18+ up. I take a slight hit on speed, and the signal strength is almost halved while wireless in my room, but by slight I mean extremely minor.

Just discovered the account has a 250GB ceiling.

member for 12.2 years, 3402 visits, last login: a few hours ago