Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by Tinger See Profile

• Location: Las Vegas,Clark,NV
Good "Generally I get very fast internet both up and down."
Bad "Peering with Youtube SUCKS! too many service calls for issues on their end."
Overall "Both their technical support and their contracted "trucks" are generally clueless with their own issues."

I have the 20/5 and get far better speed than that most of the time. When this internet works it is great. However, I have had 4 service calls over the past 2 years and each time they were not warranted. Modems replaced, complete rewire of house, etc. I spent so much time trying to convince their tech support (note NOT customer support) about a routing issue, peering problems, etc. but they refuse to accept that a "customer" may actually know more than they do. They are so frustrating to deal with on a technical level I have generally given up. I just come to DSLreports.com and read to find out what is going on and wait for someone to say Cox is aware and fixing or just to stupid or unwilling to admit problems (like the current Youtube peering bandwidth problems in the SW US).

I will stick with them because the other option is Centurylink and they are HORRIBLE.

member for 12.6 years, 1050 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by DataDork See Profile

• Location: Irvine,Orange,CA
Good "fast fast fast / low low low pings"
Bad "nothing!"
Overall "100 mbits is sweet"

initial package @ 50/5.. free speed bump a couple months into the service and now im at 100/20.

bottom line. LOVE IT and its very stable.

Comments:

Review by sfogliatelle See Profile

• Location: Baton Rouge,East Baton Rouge,LA
Good "no apparent outages that I'm aware of; Much, much better than DSL!"
Bad "too soon to tell. certainly no issues with speeds thus-far."
Overall "I'm OK with the current cost of the service."

Am sharing the cost of this service with my sister, whose house it is. We had AT&T DSL previously, and as you might imagine the difference is obvious.

According to Cox, the internet service we're subscribed to is "Preferred" which, if you're patient enough to sift through their site, is rated at 25MB down. The internet part of the monthly bill included a $6.99 charge for rental of the router/modem.

Since the internet was bundled with TV and phone, install involved more than a modem, which, it turns out, is a 'gateway' (modem+router) Cisco DPC3825. It was nice that it has 4 ethernet ports, just like the next-to-worthless 2Wire it replaced.

We had DirecTV before. Besides the typical learning curve of a new remote and menu interface, one big plus is that on demand is just that: instantaneous. The not-so-good part is that Cox' HBO and Showtime do not include previously cancelled series like Deadwood, Rome, The Wire, Weeds etc, much less their respective entire libraries as did DirecTV. Oh well.

I've been doing periodic speed tests from four different sites, in various areas of the house. Since calling their tech support early on to change manually wireless channels, I've been consistently getting faster than 25 down and 18+ up. I take a slight hit on speed, and the signal strength is almost halved while wireless in my room, but by slight I mean extremely minor.

Just discovered the account has a 250GB ceiling.

member for 12.1 years, 3373 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Scotty See Profile

• Location: Bellevue,Sarpy,NE
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Speed is excellent for the price I'm paying."
Overall "Cox has the speed. I'm at the point where I might drop Cox TV and watch TV online instead."

I'm signed up for the Cox Preferred internet package, 25mbps down and 5mbps up at a cost of $56.99 a month. The speed is just right for my needs and I've had excellent 24/7 service. The internet has improved to the point where I'm able to view most TV programs online. I'm considering dropping my Cox TV service and maybe upgrading my internet speed to the next higher tier. It has been several years since I dropped our Cox phone service. I'm using a smartphone for all phone calls and have not had any problems. I even had one occasion where I had to call 911E and the emergency response was excellent. I'm assuming they used my phones GPS to locate us.

Comments:

SugarDaddy
join:2005-03-03
San Diego, CA

COX HSI

I don't know when you wrote your review dude but I have COX Ultimate here in San Diego and as of Oct. 2013 the speeds are 100 down/20 up (with the actual numbers much higher usually 130's/ high 30's). This is for $99 a month. Some other Cox locations now have 150 MBPS down which is fairly compatible with EURODOCSIS and what South Korea can deliver.

Scotty
join:2002-11-10
Bellevue, NE

Re: COX HSI

Appreciate your reply. Yes, it has been a while since I've updated my review of Cox. I will update it soon. Their speeds have improved quite a bit from years ago. My son lives out in Irvine CA and he has speeds almost like yours. Guess living out here in corn country it takes awhile for the upgrades, ha. Best wishes and enjoy all that sunny California weather. I'm from Redondo Beach CA and hope to return soon.....I'm tired of all this snow and cold weather every Winter.
chuckkk

join:2001-11-10
Warner Robins, GA

Cox Middle GA

A recent "speed increase" was just put in place. At this time last year, the download speeds were 80-90Mbps (uncapped) Then the Premier speed was capped at about 32-36 Mbps. The recent "increase" raised the 36Mbps to about 46Mbps.

Due to the increasing number of annoying commercials, I'm about ready to drop TV service and go back to broadcast tv.

Review by jchambers28 See Profile

• Location: Alma,Crawford,AR
Good "50/10 service is really fast better than centurylink "
Bad "Not goole fiber expensive for what u get capped installer was a asshole."
Overall "if ur stuck in a centurylink area this is ur only real option. "

·AT&T Wireless Br..
I have had service for 3 days not seems to be stable. Good speed 50/10 really fast. I had a installer the was a complete asshole with a bad attitude to go with it. Glad I did the self install option. the service is so far so good.

member for 7.2 years, 3791 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Bolt Pride See Profile

• Location: Escondido,San Diego,CA
Good "Great Speeds and Reliability"
Overall "Beats the hell out of DSL!"

Somehow when we placed our order online the Fast Connect Kit did not get shipped to us. We then called Cox a few days after our kit was to arrive and they said the kit would be here in a few days, but again the kit never arrived. So to make a long story short the kit finally arrives almost two weeks late.

I have only been using COX HSI since July 06, and so far I'm very satisfied with the service, the connection has been rock solid and with the upgrades we have been getting lately it's all that much better.

We had just migrated over from DSL, and with the distance from the CO., our fragile copper lines that could barley hold a 1.5/384 sync, I could not be any happier with Cox cable.

As for the service, we are on the preferred package 9/768 and are getting slightly above our advertised speeds.

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::
Download Connection is:: 11735 Kbps about 11.74 Mbps (tested with 12288 kB)
Download Speed is:: 1432 kB/s
Upload Connection is:: 1351 Kbps about 1.4 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)
Upload Speed is:: 165 kB/s
Tested From:: »testmy.net (Main)
Test Time:: 2008/07/16 - 11:10am
D-Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-985QPW4AD
U-Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-7092FGTXL
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.16) Gecko/20080702 Firefox/2.0.0.16 [!]

***************************** UPDATE July 16 2008 ************************************

We have had our service for 2 years now and couldn't be happier with the overall service. The speeds have been rock solid and the connection has been very reliable.

*****************************UPDATE Feb. 25 2010***************************

The connection is still rock solid and were getting slightly above our advertised speeds on the preferred tier which was just upgraded from 10/768 to 12/1.5

***************************UPDATE Feb. 20 2013**************************************

Our connection still has been rock solid and our speed on preferred has been increased to 18/2 and we are getting slightly above the speed on the speed tests.

*************************Update October 30 2013***********************************

Our connection has been rock solid with one exception of packet loss in our neighborhood since my last update. The Cox people were on the problem and it was solved in a few days. We also just receive a upgrade in speed from 18/2 to 25/5.

member for 13.4 years, 6239 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by gkeawe See Profile

• Location: Norman,Cleveland,OK
Good "Good"

COX cable in Oklahoma is outstanding, atleast in Norman, Oklahoma. The speeds are very good, I'm still waiting for COX to allow residential users a symmetrical connection, I prefer to have upload and download speeds closer together. I currently have the Ultimate tier and although the dowload speeds are impressive, the upload speeds are very low. PLEASE GIVE MY A SYMMETRICAL CONNETION COX !!

Comments:

Review by skeechan See Profile

• Location: Laguna Hills,Orange,CA
Good "Decent throughput, caps are currently unenforced, excellent latency when service is working properly"
Bad "Mediocre speeds for the price, periods of unacceptably high latency that require a truck roll, expensive"
Overall "Better than dialup, but increasingly expensive for what you get"

·Clear Wireless
I have had Cox HSI since the early @Home days, about late 1998 when Orange County, CA was one of the first markets to get cable HSI.

PRESALES: I saw an add in the newspaper for cable Internet and their new Digital Television and signed up.

ORDERING: The order was easy. The price then was $30/mo for service and $15 for the CDLP modem rental. The modem was a Motorola Cybersurfr and could be purchased for $400.

INSTALL: The install was 3 days later and two technicians came out. Back then there were techs who specialized in the modem installs and others for digital TV. Now all of the techs seem to do both. Even though my house has RG59, it was fine. They ran RG6 from the outlet to the modem. Since then I've had the modem moved to a different room and the tech ran a separate RG6 line directly from the J-box to the modem.

RELIABILITY: Over these 14 years the service has gone down but VERY rarely. I would call it extremely reliable. Latency has also been good over the years. To local speed test service in Los Angeles and San Diego I'm seeing less than 10ms, pretty darn good.

TECH SUPPORT: Tech support was never a problem. Issues that cropped up or calling in for tech support to update the MACID for a new modem install were always handled quickly.

SERVICES: The original service was provided by the now defunct @Home and was static IP 3000/256kbps, screaming fast in a day of dialup, 100X faster. Now offerings are typical for a cable provider, multiple tiers starting at around $25-$30 for 3Mb service going up to $100/mo for 50Mb service. Over the years the price has crept up a bit but so have speeds. Now triple bonding DOCSIS 3 provides 25000/2000kbps with "power boost" to about 70000/5000kbps with my plan at $65/mo. Cox has caps but they don't charge for overages and will likely send out a nastygram if you go over a bunch of times. I don't know of anyone who has had their service cancelled for abuse. I got an abuse letter once but it was 12 years ago during the @Home days. I've gone over my Cox caps tons of times and never got an abuse letter.

PRICE: Overall the price is pretty fair with the 25Mb tier going for $65/mo. There are cheaper services around. Cox has caps but as mentioned earlier, there are no overage fees, at least not currently.

VALUE: For all 14 years I think I've been getting good value from Cox for HSI and don't plan on changing unless they start charging for the overages or take substantial price increases without substantial speed increases.

RECOMMENDED: Like ALL services, your mileage will vary and just because service on my street is great doesn't mean service in say CT or AZ is great or even great in the next town. Talk to neighbors, read local reviews, browse the forums for posts about service in your area. Take Cox up on any cancelable promotions and avoid entering in any contracts until you have a chance to really try out the service.

Plan: Cox Ultimate 50/5 DOCSIS 3
Cap: 400GB/mo unenforced
Equipment: Customer owned Motorola SB6180
Bonding: 4 CH Down / 1 CH Up

UPDATE 23.5.2012: Cox has seen fit to "fix" the unlimited power boost people were getting here. Where just a few weeks ago I was seeing 70+Mb with power boost, now I hit the wall at around 32Mb, which isn't much faster than the 25Mb tier I'm paying for so I may as well not have power boost at all. Powerboost should be at least 2X whatever the tier speed is to make any difference, otherwise it isn't worth having. I'm not going to knock off any stars for this change since Cox always advertised PB being this speed, and never claimed I would get 50+Mb with PB but darn it these austerity measures!

UPDATE - Upgraded to 50/5 service, $100/mo. Same modem. Powerboost is about 60Mbps.

UPDATE - 20.12.2012 Cox changed bonding from 3/1 to 4/1

UPDATE - 21.5.2013 Dropping ratings for services and value since my market still hasn't been upgraded while others have been upgraded for several months but of course they still charge the same money.

UPDATE - 7.8.2013 Downgrading ratings once again. I am seeing very little value in this service any more. Here we are now in August...still no tier upgrades despite other markets getting them some 6 months ago. Prices keep going up and I have nothing to show for it other than a thinner wallet. Thanks for nothin Cox.

UPDATE 15.10.2013 A latency problem as returned making browsing painful. Another truck roll scheduled. With prices going up and quality going down, I am increasingly disappointed with Cox.

UPDATE 17.10.2013 Truck roll got the latency issue fixed, the field tech did an excellent job as always. It is just unfortunate that after so many years (18 years total, about 14 with DCATV and HSI) with virtually ZERO issues and I mean none, I have had several since the Spring, not just HSI, but also numerous CATV related problems. The only service that has remained trouble free has been the legacy VoCable telephone service, negated by its high price.

Plan: Cox Ultimate 50/5 DOCSIS 3
Cap: 400GB/mo unenforced
Equipment: Customer owned Motorola SB6180
Bonding: 8/4
Monthly: $100 for HSI
Total monthly fee with CATV, 4 premiums/VoCable Telephone, 2 cablecard rentals $305

Comments:

skeechan

Photos

Top photo, typical POWERBOOSTED speed. After about 10 seconds speeds drop to my tier of 25Mb down and 2Mb up. The next photo is the classic CDLP Cybersurfr modem that was originally deployed with Cox in the late 1990's. It was a beast!
JayriAvieock

join:2007-01-28
Choctaw, OK

Cap

Reason why you aren't contacted about going over your cap, because you aren't adversely affecting everyone else's service.

·Clear Wireless

Lastest speed test

Cox fixes PB, oh well
Recently Cox has "fixed" their Powerboost config. Previously, Powerboost would be channel saturation and with my 3 bonded channels meant close to 75Mb most of the time. Now the modem has a config file for about 31Mb plus overhead.

Same for the upstream. Previously I would see 4-5Mb and now 2-3Mb. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

AA169|170

Update

skeechan

Review by scottct1 See Profile

• Location: Newington,Hartford,CT
Good "Been Mostly Reliable over the past 12 years!"
Bad "Silly Bandwidth Cap"
Overall "I feel that its a great value for what your getting"

We have been with Cox Internet for over 12 years and over those 12 years we have only had minor issues. We did get knocked offline for a week when that freak snowstorm hit a few years ago. Other then that it's been smooth sailing.

We recently upgraded our service from the Cox Premiere Plan to the Cox Ultimate Plan not to get the higher speeds but because we got the letter we were over the bandwidth cap. My son makes a lot of Minecraft Videos for Youtube which uses a lot of bandwidth, plus I have been having work done on my house so I have been watching my home security cameras from work a lot.

Upgrading to The Ultimate Package was a pain in the butt as they wanted to charge me $60 to send a tech out. I told them no way was I paying $60 for a tech to come out and tell me my levels are fine then leave. So COX canceled my order. I came here to BBR and bitched and the good folks from COX helped me so I was not charged for the Tech Call. And yes the TWO techs got to my house and asked what was wrong and I told them I wanted to upgrade to the Ultimate Plan, they asked me what my current plan was and I told them the Premiere plan, and they said that there was no need for a tech to come out for that as if my modem was good enough for Premiere then i was good to go to Ultimate. They made a call and had my modem re-provisioned and soon I was getting over 60 Mbps.

(Note if your looking to upgrade for the faster speeds, I should note that other then running speed tests you would never know you were on a 60Mbps connection as the pages and everything still loads as fast as when I had the 30 Mbps service. The reason for this is most sites are capped so your not going to get faster speeds from them.)

One thing that upsets me about going to Ultimate, is I notice that other areas COX serves have faster server for their Ultimate Tier, for example Rhode Island's speed is 100 Mbps, Las Vegas top speed is 150 Mbps. Yet we are all paying the same thing for the ultimate tier. Come on COX and show Connecticut some love.

Another thing I find strange is COX offers its Ultimate Subscribers UNLIMITED offsite backup service, but its not UNLIMITED as storage to COX's Offsite Backup service is counted against your bandwidth cap. If you try using their backup service you will quickly find yourself going over this cap.

Every year of so we look around for new Internet provider options, but no one in our area comes close in matching the services we get from COX Internet. We had Uverse come to our house the other day telling us that Fiber Optics was now available in my Neighborhood and I could not enjoy speeds of up to 20MB down... when I told him I had COX's 50 MB service he knew I would be downgrading if I moved.

So overall I am very happy with COX. I would like to see a boost of the speeds to match other areas since we are paying the same thing and would love for COX to increase the bandwidth cap as well. We are starting to enjoy streaming video and movies, and this use is only going to pick up in the future.

Update - 10/1/2013

Today COX upgraded the speeds in the Connecticut area, my speeds have gone from 60 Mbps to 177 Mbps. Very NICE!

Comments:
Rob_
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

The Silly Bandwidth CrAP

That's there for one thing, to protect their video income, which is stupid. I'd like to see data CrAPs become illegal in both the phone/cable/mobile industry. Your paying for internet, not for a restriction

-Rob

Review by KahunaNui See Profile

• Location: Fayetteville,Washington,AR
Good "Amazing Customer Service - Speed and Consistency (Stability) are pretty much excellent"
Bad "Like any broadband, when it's down you're toast. They all should offer a dialup option as part of the package for down times. "
Overall "Best provider we've come across yet (and we've been through quite a few in a LOT of different locals). "

We've been all over with all kinds of ISPs and so far, they've been the best.
Every time we've dealt with TS they've been extremely responsive and fixed whatever is wrong.
Never experienced what we have with so many others ("Must be user error...") They actually
admit when something is amiss! Amazing.

One thing that could make them even better if they offered a dialup option when Internet is down.
Realize this is not the norm, and mainly DSL providers have done this in the past, but nevertheless
like any other broadband, when you are down you are TOAST.

Another thing that would be nice is to get CREDIT for never going over their set bandwidth maximum!
HOW ABOUT ROLLOVER on Gigabytes NOT USED?!

The only thing I can comment on installation-wise, sometime afterward when connection mysteriously
slowed to a crawl, they took the time and resources to correct internal [wiring] problems!
That was all I was present for, and found that to be amazing as well. Now the majority of the time
the connection ROCKS.