Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by JJG3 See Profile

• Location: US
Good "Lightning fast, great service"

·HughesNet Satell..
I have Cox for home internet, which is great. I ordered it for our business and they went out of their way to find the right package and pricing. A few days later, we were up and running. Speed is governed down to 100 MBps but spikes higher occasionally. Never lower than 100. The few calls I've had to make were simple and effective. And I can get to my account rep by email, no need to deal with different people every time.

Very solid.

Comments:

Review by stanley_qaz See Profile

• Location: Gilbert,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Fast, fairly reliable (except e-mail in and out) and Cox techs visit the forum here"
Bad "good mail blocked, outgoing server won't send all messages, some important ports blocked"
Overall "If you can live with having to go elsewhere to reliably get and send your mail it is not bad"

·HughesNet Satell..
April 2014 - the blocked incoming/outgoing e-mail issue is still here and still a problem.

Some ports are blocked so you can't connect to or from other computers on them. Really a pain for e-mail since the Cox mail server blocks good incoming mail and the server will reject (without notifying you) outgoing mail for no good reason and you have to use another mail service to send it.

I have spent hours on the phone and e-mailing Cox support and the bottom line is that the Cox servers won't send some e-mail messages and there is nothing they are willing to do about it. I'm not talking about spammy stuff but sending a friend a simple image often will not work. They offer a "thisisnotspam" address but sending to that has not unblocked sending the same message to another address. Update: This is an ongoing issue as of March 2012 and little has been done to improve the situation for a couple years now. I have to rely on Gmail's SMTP server to send messages. Update November, 2012: The random blocking of incoming and outgoing messages has improved some but it is still far from perfect. Update November 2013: Moved my mail to other services as the problem appears to be un-fixable. Update April 2014, had to send some mail using Cox servers and several were blocked, back to my alternate servers.

Cox is also blocking incoming mail based on URLs in the messages, the source of this blocking is suspect as it blocks legitimate messages. If you want to get your political e-mail do not trust Cox to accept it and if you want to send anything with political links check to be sure it was actually sent on to the addressees by Cox. Outgoing mail is deleted without notice so you have to BCC your Gmail or Yahoo account to see if it actually went out from the Cox servers. Seeing more reports of legitimate senders that can't send mail to Cox customers and can't get Cox to fix the problem.

member for 11.7 years, 4409 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by brnreaves See Profile

• Location: Virginia Beach,Virginia Beach City,VA
Good "Reliable connectivity"
Bad "Horrible installation techs! Subcontractors could care less!!!!"
Overall "Cox is a good reliable ISP service that can't manage their size!"

None: COX HSI is the only logical choice in Va Beach, West Neck area.
COX Premier Package 15Mbs down, 5Mbs up. 56.00mo. bundle package. 52.00 dig phone service is going to be removed in place of Vonage, or similar. I represent the West Neck Community (local source) for everything "computers and/or media home related" I firmly believe that the installation services from cox communications are horrible w.r.t. the retirement community. I have been a part of several HSI package installs in the community and I'm still in shock as to the response integrity of local install techs as well as customer support employees. I guess they figure that integrity refers to a recorded message with a 20min prompt session followed by generic answers, and followed up with lies. There isn't enough space here to relate with details, and I am a very "silent" kind of guy in the net world, but enough is enough, thus this post.

Motorola 5200 / purchased new. Thank god I didn't opt for there VolIp box? "anyone can sling cable all over hell!"

Last bullet = the above and it keeps going round and round.

Room for thought.... consider the demise of the auto industry, The bigger you are, the harder you fall!

Brian

Comments:

Review by pholdy See Profile

• Location: Lemon Grove,San Diego,CA
Good "Never had a problem with my internet"
Bad "MY HD T.V. was unreliable for 6 months. Finally called them and they sent a tech and fixed the problem with a new box."
Overall "Works as advertised"

COX utimate package..

Kinda expensive, but worth it!

Comments:

Review by Hard Harry See Profile

• Location: West Warwick,Kent,RI
Good "Fast and dependable. Can own all hardware."
Bad "Sometimes saturated peering"
Overall "Was Cox customer before, during and after employment."

::Full Disclosure:: I worked for Cox communication for seven years in a technical roll, but no longer have any connections or discussions with them, ending my employment sometime last year. If this is a conflict of interest, moderator please delete.

I have had Cox since 2005 when download had just been upgraded to 1.5Mbps!! I now have their Premier plan with a Cisco DPQ3212 and a Asus RT-N66U. The only reason I'm not using a stand alone modem (which I usually suggest to other) is to bypass the splitter needed for two separate devices. Only the occasional outage every 6-8 months or so, generally either weather, ingress, or general maintenance related. The only major issues I have was between Cox and Youtube, that took several months to resolve, but was resolved to my satisfaction. Overall I was happy to be a Cox customer, but now I am moving out of their footprint. Thank you for the 9 years of service!

Signal levels

Channel 4: 38.9 dBmV

»www.speedtest.net/result/3407457764.png
»mcs.focusvision.com/myspeed/db/r···d=153704

member for 4.1 years, 610 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by DJsailor See Profile

• Location: Falls Church,Fairfax,VA
Good "Fast speed"
Bad "Headache each year trying to keep costs down"
Overall "Works well but service is slipping"

We had Earthlink/Covad DSL but it went though a Verizon Switch Office and every few months went down. Problem was Verizon since they sent out techs to our home to help trouble shoot why we kept losing connection. Tried to get Verizon DSL since we figured if we only had to deal with Verizon, we would have less problems. Verizon could not even get the order in. Spent hours on the phone with Verizon and after a month, gave up on them. Cox came when they said they would. Did a nice install job, and help deal with a telephone problem caused by Verizon. System has only gone down for a day over a years time. Very fast but sometimes hangs. I find hitting the refresh solves the issue.

Update 3/1/14:

Well, we've been with Cox for 6.5 years now. Have TV, Internet, and 2 Phone lines with them. They are starting to slip in service as they move to protect their profits. I have to call each year to bargain with them about keeping my bill down. Even then, it has crept up from $180 to $220 a month. My internet speed has increased though not as much as they say. A speed test through the Cox web page says 32 mbs down and 20 mbs up. DSL Reports tests have been showing a lot slower: 12 mbs down and 6 mbs up. Package I have says "Speed UP TO 50 mbs down and 10 mbs up. Needless to say I am not seeing anything like that.

Cox is also cutting back on their Call Center help. It use to take about 1-2 mins to get help. Now I wait 15 to 20 mins to get a 'person' on the line to help. Then it takes 3-4 transfers to other people to get the one who can help. I got an email from Cox saying they have updated their system and I now need to get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem (vs the DOCSIS 2.0 I had) to get the speed I am paying for. The email says I can rent or pay a single time fee. Calling them, I found out I can get a new modem for free since I have phone service with them. Was told I could have it sent to me. Transferred to 3 people and found out I had to bring it to a Cox Service Center (a half hour away, not too bad but a heck of a way to spend a Friday night!) The Tech at the store there tried to figure out my bill and could not. He, at least, is professional enough to say he wants to research it and get back to me. Kudos for him to understand what customer service is.

BOTTOM LINE: Cox Internet is OK for now but their service/tech help is slipping.

Comments:

Review by Porkchop61YD See Profile

• Location: Niceville,Okaloosa,FL
Good "Very reliable connection, good download and upload speeds"
Bad "Cost, 300 GB limit -can easily exceed with moderate Netflix/HBOGO usage"
Overall "About the best you can get around here; satisfied, but wish it cost less"

Currently have the Cox HSI Premier package (50 Mbit download, 10 Mbit upload, 300 GB soft limit) and usually achieve better than 60 Mbits down and 15 Mbits up. In addition to Cox, also looked at Sprint DSL and Dish satellite service, both of which cost less, but suffer in performance. Wired LAN connection to a laptop and AV receiver and wireless connections to two laptops, three phones, four tablets, and some other multimedia equipment all being served by a Motorola Surfoard SB5120 cable modem (4x4 bonding) and Cisco E4500 router. I be upgrading the cable modem to a Motorola SB6141 as Cox now supports 8x4 bonding and update this if I get any significant boost in performance. My wife works 8 to 10 hrs a day from home on the computer starting around 7:00 am, and the kids and I are online till at least 11 pm or later almost every day and we very very rarely experience any dropout or significant problem with throughput. I also run a guest network. My son plays a lot of MMOs without any problem as long as the ports are configured properly. Overall, I do like Cox, and in 10 or so years of usage, I've only need to call for service a handfull of times. On-site service for installation, upgrades, or to address any problems like line noise/quality has been fairly prompt, courteous, with resolution in one visit (except for this last time where I had to call twice about burying a cable). Service over the phone to resolve simple problems hasn't been quite as good, but I'd judge it better than average (and I work with a lot of IT service providers and vendors). Biggest thing I dislike is the price and usage limits Cox has implemented. With a wife that works from home and several teenagers that like to use Netflix, HBOGO, Amazon Prime, etc. for shows and movies, we easily exceed the soft usage limit of 300 GB on the Premier package (447 GB last month). The Ultimate package only goes up to 400 GB at a whopping extra cost of $31/month, which is just not worth it.

Porkchop61YD

Comments:

Review by argosdex See Profile

• Location: Walker,Livingston,LA
Good "Great when it works."
Bad "Good luck if it ever stops working."
Overall "I wish there was an alternative."

February 23, 2014

About me, skip to second paragraph if you like.

I may not be a genius and I am certainly not the most knowledgeable guy in the world, I am in my late 50's and have worked with electronics since I was about 13. The kids I used to hang out with and I were nerds and geeks even before the term came about. When IBM started selling personal computers in 1981 I bought one, and have since worked, repaired, and configured systems. All that just to say that I am not the "average user" and that I know a thing or two.

I've had Cox for about six years now, always on the Preferred plan ("up to" 25 Mbps D/L), on average I've had to call them over issues about every other month, although there have been periods where I didn't have to call them for months. Other times, like February 2013 when I had to call them seven times due to packet loss and line noise.

Ever since December 24, 2013 it has been nothing but trouble, outages, low speeds (below 1Mbps), line noise, random modem resets, etc. When the service goes out I am usually the first one in a development of 200 homes to notice, I am on the computer ALL the time, it's my source of income. When I call to report a problem the CSR will always ask me if I reset the modem, put a pinky in my ear, stood on one foot and rotated, tell me that there is NO problem in the area and that they will send out a tech. Yet if I call 10 minutes later there is a recording that there is an outage in the area, yeah I just told you guys that, not that you would take my word.

The company policy seems to be that every time that a subscriber reports a problem they are to insist that it's the subscriber's problem, their system is lily white clean, they must have learned that lesson from old dusty AOL customer service manual. It's not the employees fault, they do what they are told by the higher ups.

Finally fed up I've started keeping detailed records of every problem:

February 2, 2014 outage between 21:45 and 22:25
February 19, 2014 Remote Modem Reset 00:39
February 19, 2014 Remote Modem Reset 01:25
February 19, 2014 Remote Modem Reset 03:07
February 19, 2014 between 03:07 and 07:05 Slow speeds below 1 Mbps for 4 hours

Starting to get the picture? Now they started to blame my five year old Motorola SB5101 DOCSIS 2.0 modem, I knew, just knew this to be a giant, steaming, stinking pile of that stuff that bulls leave behind in fields. Apparently my modem was all rusty full of cobwebs, termites and evil spirits, so I caved in because once I had a new modem they would not be able to blame that anymore. BTW the CSR in Oklahoma that praised the modem I would get from Cox as if would solve all my connection difficulties for all time to come, and was apparently infused with magic beams would be totally free of charge if I took my old modem to the office, when I asked to be sent something in writing he stated that it did not exist, it was company policy. Once again I knew this to be not just one bull come across the telephone wire but a whole stampede...

So, on February 19, 2014 at about 3:00 pm CST, I became the "proud owner" of a Cisco DPC3010 DOCSIS 3.0, for which they made me the kindness of charging me $100, I felt loved and appreciated as a customer, really... The desk I was bent over was slightly uncomfortable, but I felt very loved.

The same gentleman from Oklahoma who claimed that the new modem would solve all my problems, also claimed that my connection speeds would be so much faster, neither statement turned out to be true, the connection was just as lousy and my speeds did not increase at all. however I felt really, really happy that I had spent $100 and was just dazzled but the little green LEDs.

A day later:

February 20, 2014 Remote Modem Reset 01:02
February 20, 2014 Remote Modem Reset 03:01

Once again to the same old problems... sigh... Back to the gentleman from Oklahoma, he had also had the kindness of scheduling a technician to come to my home on February 20, 2014 between 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm "just in case".

The gentleman that showed up must have known that I am an old dude because the had the kindness of now showing up until 4:20 pm, just to let me catch up on my nap I presume, old people need naps you know, lots and lots of naps... He was a young guy in his 20's in a bright yellow Dodge pickup with a Cox sticker on the door (a subcontractor), this gentleman graduated from the Splitter School, i.e. all internet problems are solved by replacing a splitter thereby charging the customer $50 for a $2 item.

It didn't solve one single solitary thing!!!! You know why??? Because the problem is in Cox's equipment, OUTSIDE my house!!! And no fixing it with Elmer's glue and duct tape won't do any good either.

After the gentleman with the yellow truck left on:

February 20, 2014 Remote Modem Reset 10:50
February 21, 2014 Remote Modem Reset 01:06
February 21, 2014 Remote Modem Reset 21:52
February 22, 2014 between 03:38 and 04:32 Speeds below1 Mbps
February 22, 2014 between 04:32 and 04:45 complete outage
February 22, 2014 as of 04:54 my DS light on my brand new $100 modem is now yellow.

I called Cox again, and the CSR I spoke to made me the special favor (?) of scheduling a technician on Sunday Feb 23 between 10 am and 12 pm. Let me see if I got this right, I bought a new modem, they changed a splitter and the service is still lousy and you're going to make me wait some more, aww man you really make me feel wanted, let's go out on a date!

I guess I'll have to apply for a second mortgage I fully expect the guy that comes out tomorrow (today actually) is going to tell me that I need to update my plumbing and my electrical system due to "bad waves", and have a priest come to the house to perform a full exorcism to rid the place of evil spirits.

I don't know about where the rest of Cox customers live, all I know is that for $62.99 a month I should be getting reliable service and not a whole bunch of runaround. I'll be sending a nasty gram to Patrick Esser, President of Cox, probably nothing will come of it but at least I'll get to tell him what I think of his company and how it works, because in my neck of the woods it works more like a vacuum cleaner than an ISP, you know what vacuums do, don't you?

Tonight once again between approximately 8:30 pm and 1:00 am my connection did not top 4 Mbps. Just now at 1:50 am I checked it again and I am barely getting 13 Mbps DS.

Comments:

cschumm

@cox.net

Got my HSI Fixed by COX after FCC Letter

I had a similar problem with COX back in 2010. I am an engineer and have worked a little with RF. My HSI service kept going down several times a month. When I called COX I was treated like a little boy with the COX CS person reading from a script which never fixed the problem.

Half hour later the HSI service would be working OK. I knew someone was pulling a line somewhere between my house and the Internet Backbone.

I had it and wrote a letter to the FCC. I did not send a copy of my letter to COX.

About 3-4 Weeks later a COX supervisor/manager contacted me and they wanted to come to my home to investigate.

Two COX people showed up and they replaced almost every connector between the drop and my modem. They said they found a loose connector which I know wasn't loose. All connectors were good and tight. But they had to tell me they found something so as not to incriminate themselves.

Long story short - my service has been excellent since that experience. I can't believe it took a letter to the FCC for COX to fix my situation. To this day I believe this was being caused at the Head End at COX. Calling COX repeatedly did not work for me..

I also thought maybe it was my Modem, but it wasn't.

Hope this may help.

Chuck

Review by ikyuaoki See Profile

• Location: Wichita,Sedgwick,KS
Good "Ultra fast broadband!"
Bad "nope."
Overall "load balance & super fast performance scaled"

my ultimate tier is super fast since the tweaking both my router and my computer of settings (network settings/network registry settings) is worked.

Comments:

Review by johnpd See Profile

• Location: Green Valley,Pima,AZ
Good "Very Reliable; Good price for the speed."
Bad "DNS server issues"
Overall "Good value for what you get"

I have the "Preferred" service for $44.95/mo. Moved into a new home a little over a year ago. Got the bundled cable/Internet/phone services. I had no problem with the order and install process. I provided my own modem (Motorola SB5120). I had an initial problem for several months where the Internet would drop out on me and the only way to get it back was to power cycle the modem. I found out that the version of firmware in my modem was sensitive to noise and that a newer firmware corrected that. I called Cox Support and requested an update. The support agent said that Cox does not do that. Well several hours later, a firmware update came down from Cox to my modem. Except for that experience, I have had pretty good experiences with support. I have had some dropped speed issues a few times. That seems to be more common up in the Phoenix area. I suspect Cox was doing some work in the area.

Update: 01/23/2010

I have had very few issues with Cox now. I was upgraded to the "Premier" package (however it cost me an extra $10). Premier now costs me $59.95. Several months ago, Cox apparently upgraded our area. I noticed an increase in my SNR. I used to have signal numbers around 34-35. I now get numbers consistently around 37-38 with Download Power levels in the low single digits and Upstream Power levels in the low 40's. Those are the best signal numbers I have ever had. I receive download speed numbers many times in the low 30mbs at Speedtest.net. The one issue I (and a number of others) did run into was trouble with Cox's DNS servers. I would frequently get "page not found" errors even when I was within the same domain. I switched to OpenDNS and have had no problems since then.

Update: 12/15/2010

Several months ago I started having problems with my 4yr old SB5120 modem. I was about to replace it with another of the same model when I received a letter from Cox indicating they were about to upgrade the area to DOCSIS 3. I decided to purchased a SB6120 modem instead of a SB5120. After installing the new modem, I got an immediate improvement in speed. After a couple of firmware upgrades that Cox sent down and a router firmware upgrade I made to my D-Link router, my signals and speed are outstanding. Consistently getting 100mbps or over down and over 6mbps up on the Cox Arizona speedtest site. I am a happy camper. The "Premier" package is now $64.99.

Update: 7/10/2011

I still have Cox's Premier Internet service for $65. Several months back they gave us a "speed increase" from 20 to 22 mbps. However, they apparently cut back on the Powerboost which now lasts for just a few seconds. I was getting insane speed test results (130mbps +) prior to this upgrade but afterwards now get around the specified speed rate for the Premier service. Still very reliable.

Update: 7/25/2012

No real changes to my review. Same service (Premier), same hardware (SB6120). Have had no serious issues. Getting speed tests of 30+ Download and 6+ uploads.

Update: 2/26/2013

No problems to speak of. Our area was upgraded this month. With premier service I now have speeds of around 5o mbps up and about 13 mbps down. Can't complain.

Update: 2/16/2014

No changes since last review. Still have the SB6120. I have encountered no issues.

member for 11 years, 3427 visits, last login: a few hours ago