Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by johnpd See Profile

• Location: Green Valley,Pima,AZ
Good "Very Reliable; Good price for the speed."
Bad "DNS server issues"
Overall "Good value for what you get"

I have the "Preferred" service for $44.95/mo. Moved into a new home a little over a year ago. Got the bundled cable/Internet/phone services. I had no problem with the order and install process. I provided my own modem (Motorola SB5120). I had an initial problem for several months where the Internet would drop out on me and the only way to get it back was to power cycle the modem. I found out that the version of firmware in my modem was sensitive to noise and that a newer firmware corrected that. I called Cox Support and requested an update. The support agent said that Cox does not do that. Well several hours later, a firmware update came down from Cox to my modem. Except for that experience, I have had pretty good experiences with support. I have had some dropped speed issues a few times. That seems to be more common up in the Phoenix area. I suspect Cox was doing some work in the area.

Update: 01/23/2010

I have had very few issues with Cox now. I was upgraded to the "Premier" package (however it cost me an extra $10). Premier now costs me $59.95. Several months ago, Cox apparently upgraded our area. I noticed an increase in my SNR. I used to have signal numbers around 34-35. I now get numbers consistently around 37-38 with Download Power levels in the low single digits and Upstream Power levels in the low 40's. Those are the best signal numbers I have ever had. I receive download speed numbers many times in the low 30mbs at Speedtest.net. The one issue I (and a number of others) did run into was trouble with Cox's DNS servers. I would frequently get "page not found" errors even when I was within the same domain. I switched to OpenDNS and have had no problems since then.

Update: 12/15/2010

Several months ago I started having problems with my 4yr old SB5120 modem. I was about to replace it with another of the same model when I received a letter from Cox indicating they were about to upgrade the area to DOCSIS 3. I decided to purchased a SB6120 modem instead of a SB5120. After installing the new modem, I got an immediate improvement in speed. After a couple of firmware upgrades that Cox sent down and a router firmware upgrade I made to my D-Link router, my signals and speed are outstanding. Consistently getting 100mbps or over down and over 6mbps up on the Cox Arizona speedtest site. I am a happy camper. The "Premier" package is now $64.99.

Update: 7/10/2011

I still have Cox's Premier Internet service for $65. Several months back they gave us a "speed increase" from 20 to 22 mbps. However, they apparently cut back on the Powerboost which now lasts for just a few seconds. I was getting insane speed test results (130mbps +) prior to this upgrade but afterwards now get around the specified speed rate for the Premier service. Still very reliable.

Update: 7/25/2012

No real changes to my review. Same service (Premier), same hardware (SB6120). Have had no serious issues. Getting speed tests of 30+ Download and 6+ uploads.

Update: 2/26/2013

No problems to speak of. Our area was upgraded this month. With premier service I now have speeds of around 5o mbps up and about 13 mbps down. Can't complain.

Update: 2/16/2014

No changes since last review. Still have the SB6120. I have encountered no issues.

member for 10.8 years, 3362 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by scorpio949 See Profile

• Location: San Clemente,Orange,CA
Good "customer service "
Bad "very expensive, worse value for your money "
Overall "I would switch in a minute if I could find the same speed anywhere else, your only choice for cable internet"

Purchased the premier internet speed says up to 50Mb/s but have never gone beyond 30. So emphasis on the "up to part".

Comments:
nmlobo

join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA
·Cox HSI

Worst value?

If Cox is the only option in your area, how could it be the worst value for your money? Since you say it is the only game in town, you have nothing to compare it too; doesn't that make it the only value? We have FIOS and Cox available at my home........guess what, the prices nearly are identical both over $70 a month for a 50m plan.
pkuzma

join:2010-11-24
Metairie, LA

Re: Worst value?

exactly... this review is terrible and should be removed.

Review by cdunnman See Profile

• Location: Roanoke,Roanoke City,VA
Good "internet"
Bad "speed for the money"
Overall "updated review 1/27/14"

we Have the preffered package at 25/5 the order process was smooth the modem is a Motorola SB5101

I been with cox for a total of 30 yrs, i think for the speed 25/5 is too high, I mean i atleast should get over 25/5 but there nothing i can do I guess.

but over all it is a great service, just not that great on the speed, and the price for how much they are charging

member for 256 days, 65 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jaykaykay See Profile

• Location: Scottsdale,Maricopa,AZ
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Overall "So far, excellent."

·Speakeasy
We had a lot of things we needed to do before getting up and running with Cox. Switching for them was a breeze and they installed our router/modem and set it up within an hour. It took me considerably more time to change our DNS hosting, etc. So far, Cox has been great. The price is part of our package so isn't broken down on this report. It comes in about $10 less than our old ISP, including cost of of new hosting service, and is soooooooo much faster. Tested about 1/2 hour ago, and it registered, from our old ISP's test page at:

Your Speed Result:
Download Speed: 9348 kbps (1168.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 14267 kbps (1783.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

We ordered the Preferred Level and bought one of the Cox store's combo router/modem, a Netgear N900.

When we were buying the hardware and setting up an appointment time and date, the only thing I can say about Cox's store sales is that they are very aggressive and really lay it on thick, much of what they answered re: ?'s

from me. The store salesperson had raved about that "he was ours for how ever long we needed him, would set up the router and take us through all we needed to know for Cox mail". Most of what they told me was not true. For me, that wasn't a problem, but for others, it might well have been.

The installer came here thinking that he was on a problem call when all we needed was for him to set up the router. No trouble call at all, and that was that.

As time goes on, I will flesh out this report, but it's really too new to write much more.

Ordered package:
Internet•25 Mbps download
•5 Mbps upload
•Secure Online Backup with 5GB
•Spam Blocker
•Cox Security Suite powered by McAfee®
•Up to 10 Webmail accounts
Download speeds of up to 25 Mbps.

Comments:

Review by huntermcdole See Profile

• Location: Tucson,Pima,AZ
Good "Nice Speed, Easy Install"
Bad "Transfer of Service Locks Account, Cost keeps going up."

·ViaTalk
-- Updated Jan 23, 2014 --

Service is still going strong, only issue is the ever increasing price. I am around $70 per month now for internet access. I started around 2004 at $45 per month and it has increased by about $3-$5 per year. I did a 2 year price lock to try to keep my whole bill down to about $110 for both cable and internet.

-- Updated June 21, 2012 --

Got the new DOCSYS 3.0 modem. Lots of problems getting it activated.

Bought the modem at the Cox store since it was around the same cost as online. Sales person asked if I would like the modem activated on my account so I could just hook it up and go. I said sure. That's where all my problems started.... Got home and hooked it up expecting that it would just work. Nope, it wasn't activated.

Called support and spoke to a lady about it and she said they could activate it. Gave her my MAC address(multiple times as she couldn't seem to type it correct) then she got a manager to activate it.. No go, it wouldn't activate. She said they would need send a tech to my house to look at it and offered to re-activate my old modem. This also failed as it's no longer a supported modem, so she said there must be a problem between them and the modem.... She said the soonest they could send someone was 5pm the next day, and if it was an "inside" problem it would be $50 unless I signed up for a $5 service... Pissed I signed up for the $5, this whole thing took an hour on my cell since I only have VoiP during which time the store closed....

Called support back about 1 hour later and guy tried to activate the modem, it was still a no go so we would have to wait for the appointment...

Posted a message on DSLReports and got a reply that I should try again since it took them a few tries to get someone that knew how to activate a modem.... Tried back about 3 hours after my first call and got another guy. He asked me to verify the MAC in my ticket and found the lady had typed it wrong even after repeating it 4-5 times, 1st guy never even asked to verify it... Modem was activated finally, but there was an issue with my router getting a 0.0.0.0 ip address, tech suggested I power it down for 12 hours and try again, which I did. Upon powering back up it still wouldn't pull and IP address. Hooked directly to my computer got an ip and then cloned my MAC on my router so I could hook it up. 0.0.0.0 problem seems to be an issue with the Cisco Modem and my Buffalo router running DD-WRT

-- Updated November 10, 2011 --

No real problems with service since 2007, I have gone back to the normal tier for online gaming. Recently disconnects have been happening, but from the sound of it it might be my modem again, since 2007 I have had 3 modems ( 1st one was a Linksys Modem a bad firmware got pushed to it... 2nd was a Motorola Surfboard 5120 it just died one day ... most recent is a Linksys CM100 and it appears that multiple people are starting to have issues w/ this modem. Looking at getting a DOCSYS 3.0 modem, and will see how it goes. Costs are still going up though

-- Updated August 15 2007--

Changed to lower tier to lower price. Am happier now than I was before due to it being close to Qwest's price. Have 1.5 x 256. At first I though I would have 512 upload but they had wrong info on the web but I don't upload much anyway so 256 is fine.

-- Original Review --

Started with Cox 2 years ago and they are great. Not sure if I made the right choice buying a modem since it looks like that one is out of date and I need to buy a new one. Moving cause a little bit of a problem in that you account is locked until you call them after it is hooked up.

Comments:

Review by chuckkk See Profile

• Location: Warner Robins,Houston,GA
Good "High speed transfer, fairly reliable."
Bad "Very occasional serious drops in data transfer, intermittent long ping times, etc."
Overall "Connection Quality improved, ~63Mbps download speeds"

Basic order/install experience was so long ago that it's not germane.

Cox takes advantage of a near monopoly in the area in terms of price and service levels.

Speed and so forth have generally improved in the last several months, as a result of local network upgrades. It's interesting that the local network (to Atlanta anyway) is capable of speed at or above 100mbps. Cox may quietly start advertizing higher speed capability.

Currently with "Premier" I'm seeing ~63mbps down, and about 1/2 that up, except to SEATAC and the surrounding areas.

The modem log still fills with "Uni-cast Maintenance Ranging T3 timeout errors, and the "DHCP Renew Warning Field Invalid" errors. This makes the modem log sort of useless for diagnosing intermittent problems. You would think Cox can correct the problem.

As usual, the underlying problems with Cox have been network related of one type or another. They still have un-needed truck rolls as a default. Further, they may charge for the truck roll, even when it's a network issue, forcing the customer to re contact customer service to get the charge removed.

As to the cable TV side, The commercial quantity is huge and increasing, along with about 10% annual rate increases. I'm seriously considering dropping all but basic TV, or re aiming my outdoor antenna to the multichannel HD tower NNE from here. That tower has all the major broadcast networks available.

Comments:

FreeBSDuser

join:2013-05-15
Somers, NY

Local cable company TV. Cox internet.

I think you can use your competing local cable company for TV and Cox for internet.

Review by dltwyman See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "connection ok. low pings most of the time."
Bad "low data cap. speeds not as advertised. Cost high for the bandwidth we get."
Overall "I wish they weren't as much of a monopoly and we had a FIOS choice"

Have had for 7 years. Now capped at 300GB . all we do is streaming ( no torrent downloads ) . we are trying to cut the cord and we run close to this 300 line every month . Pretty lame considering we pay a premium price for "Premiere " package - which is supposed to be 50Mbps and burst to 63Mbps - even their own speed test only gets us 26Mbps - 18Mbps on external services so no where close to what we pay for . Used to have Ultimate 100Mbps package but we got the exact same speeds as current package - so increasing the package only increased our bill . I can wait until someday Vegas and its suburbs get decent FIOS.

Comments:
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

FiOS

FiOS isn't coming to Vegas. It's a VZ product and you're not even near any VZ service areas.

Anonguy

Speeds

Sounds like you either have a Docsis 2 modem Or cox still thinks you do as the 26mpbs is what Cox provisions your modem at,

If your modem is Doc3 call in and make sure your account is set up correctly.

Review by agill81 See Profile

• Location: Aliso Viejo,Orange,CA
Good "Everything"

No issues.

Comments:

sameboat

I am in the same boat

Every market has been upgraded except OC and even when we do get the upgrade, the ultimate tier will be 100Mb instead of 150Mb like nearly every other market. Worse they won't bump up the monthly usage cap for ultimate. OC is always the last to get anything even though we were one of the first HSI/digitalCATV markets.

Review by butchie See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "great"

After approx. 1 year with Cox, landline, cable tv and internet. Speeds are as advertised.
28 to 30 mb/s downloads, 7 to 9 mb/s upload
Customer service is great
Wireless is always strong
cable has everything I need.
One home tech visit for an outside damaged junction. Not bad for one year.

member for 13.7 years, 4669 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
rbmonical

join:2012-06-18

I agree - Cox is expensive but fast and reliable

I went a long time with no outages with Cox in Omaha.
There have been a few here in Phoenix and the NOC did not know what was going on. No outages for a couple of months now in Goodyear - SW valley
butchie

join:2000-12-29
Phoenix, AZ

Re: I agree - Cox is expensive but fast and reliable

Speeds still great. All's well here.............
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Never had a issue with speed

I've had cox for internet for the past 10 years in the Phoenix area.. Never had an issue with speed. Cox phone is ok.
Cox TV is fair. Directv is much better. High Def is clearer and I have the channels I want with Directv.

gamer101

Internet

I have had cox 1 yr .. Play lots of games etc.. Constant drops, Lags, bad customer support, At least every other month some one comes out to try and fix and says its our problem.. NO one knows why our internet drops on one computer and only one computer have gone thru 3 of their modems 2 of mine and they always blame it on the modem If Cox wasn't the only provider that supported good enough internet to game I would have switched already !!!!

Review by Liberty See Profile

• Location: Tucson,Pima,AZ
Good "fast, reliable, keeps getting better all the time - speed wise"
Overall "Wouldn't want to change"

Started service in '03 for $50 for 1.5/.25
Then it changed by Cox to $45 for 4/.5
then $45 for 8/.5
now its $45 for 15/.75

I should mention I am a satellite internet dealer and have a total of 3 FREE 1.5/256 pipes coming in and 1 2/256 also FREE

Since 03 I have had a total of maybe one week of no or bad service, all added together...

Yea, I think Cox rocks

Now the tail end of '13 and depending on test site I get between 10 & 30 down - doesn't make a hoot of difference which is correct, plenty fast

Cox raised rates this month to $63