Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by debbieandjon See Profile

• Location: Capistrano Beach,Orange,CA
Good "Reliable."
Bad "Price - holy crap!"
Overall "18 Mbps down / 2 Mbps up"

I have been with Cox@home since 1/2000. Forward to 12/2002... Packet loss makes my system crawl many times throughout the years. Before blaming my cable modem the technician changed every connection from the computer to the street and checked packet loss. Still there... After swapping my old Best Data CMX110 (one year warranty expired) for his Toshiba he found the problem. This time I bought the Toshiba PCX2200 with a 5 year warranty. In the past I have found the less experienced or lazy techs will say the problem is your retail modem without going through the obvious checkpoints.

8/2003... We are now paying an additional $3.95 "service ASSurance plan" to
cover our inside cable and modem. DSL will be a consideration in the near future
if we keep getting hit with rate increases. Besides, filesharing is no longer

allowed unless you have deep pockets... Boycott all RIAA products.

3/2004... Download speeds seem a bit higher through BBR speed tests. I haven't
had to use the "service ASSurance plan" yet. San Diego's plan is $2.95. Cox
will not give me a rational answer as to why Orange County is more money.

6/2005... Cox internet has been reliable. While service speeds have increased
the price remains the same. Although DSL is a better deal, I am still using Cox
because of the bundling discount.

11/2006... A price increase of $2.00/month when DSL prices are dropping! Download speeds were increased to 7000, but the upload speed of 512 remains
unchanged. I don't see much of a difference between 4000 and 7000. The TV ads and home mailings want you to believe that KOx is doing us a favor...

Thank you DSL Reports for the excellent service. (c:

05/2007... I am now getting 8000 for download and the upload remains the same at 512. After considering a move to another company, I called Cox to complain about the prices. They gave me a 6 month discount to keep me satisfied.

02/2008... Using a docsis 2.0 cable modem now. (Moto SB5101) Downloads are faster but the upload speed remains the same. The quality of service is still A+

08/2008... Another price hike! $3.04! The 7.25% increase is higher than the rate of inflation. The total with the ASSurance Plan is $48.94. The service is great but at what point will I say enough. Tough financial times call for the need to shop around.

02/2009... The price has remained steady. $44.99 plus $3.95 for the Cox ASSurance Plan. I test my speed on a regular basis. The service has been
reliable during the 4 to 5 hours per day it is used. Speeds: 12 down / 1 up minimum.

06/2010... Price hike to $46.99 plus $3.95 monthly for Cox's ASSurance that I won't be charged for service calls. The "PowerBoost" feature hasn't worked in a couple of weeks. My download speeds have decreased to 10 down / 1 up. Preferred tier.
UPDATE: Speeds were restored by a modem reboot that was recommended by a Cox expert on the forum.

06/2011... Another price increase. The "Preferred" service is now $50! The "we won't charge you extra if our Cox service fails" fee called Cox Service ASSurance Plan still remains $47.40 a year!

11/2011... Cox Service ASSurance plan had it's name changed to something more benign, Cox Service Protection Plan.

11/15/11... The Cox DNS servers were down. Phone service waiting time went from a busy signal to 45 minutes. The rude Cox Customer Service Representative would not provide a work around. See the Dslreports Cox HSI forum for other Cox fumbles...

2/14/12... Again, another price hike. $4.00 or 8% more, for Cox High Speed Internet Preferred. It's now $53.99 plus $3.95 for the Cox Service Protection Plan. (Customer service costs extra if you don't pay the monthly shakedown fee - now how is that fair?)

11/17/12... Speed increase from 12 Mbps / 1 Mbps to 18 / 2.

7/08/13... Cox Service Protection fee is $5.99 per month. $55.99 for preferred. 18/2. I was able to negotiate a lower rate for one year.

Comments:
JohnW

join:2011-03-13

DNS issue..

this is why I use OpenDNS for DNS resolution. always reliable funny I posted like a month ago on Cox help on forums here about cox virginia DNS numbers glad I didn't use them

Review by KlubMarcus See Profile

• Location: Norfolk,Norfolk City,VA
Good "Connected the day the free self-install kit arrived"
Bad "Customer service, technicians, and management are morons!"
Overall "Find another company, Cox managed to disconnect and piss off a customer who had working service, updating auto bill pay hard!"

·Verizon Online DSL
I'm finally off Cox! I own a house now and made the switch to Verizon DSL, no FIOS in this area. I don't regret it a bit. It's slower than Cox HSI, but far more reliable. Oh yeah, Cox is now $40/mo versus $35 when I first signed on.

It's a few years later and at another location Cox is the only broadband ISP available. Speeds are OK during the day but slows down after work hours when people come home. But their customer service is still lousy. Their website doesn't let you update automatic billing all the time. You can't call in to update your automatic billing all the time. When you do get through, the wait times are very long and not all the representatives have enough access to make changes! So you have to wait again for a supervisor. Geez, what a struggle to make sure that THEY GET PAID. They must wonder why after several years of service of/on I never signed up for any Cox bundles or partner deals. If they can't even handle the high-speed internet part, then why should I trust them with anything else? They also have more competitors coming into the area like Verizon so I'll drop them in a heartbeat just to get better customer service.

Old review below...

We ordered Cox HSI after seeing a TV ad and we were looking for an ISP because we just moved to the area. My wife called the number, put in the order, the install kit arrived on schedule and I hooked it up. It worked! But the first Cox technicians had left a work order at our door saying we needed to call them for a re-schedule while we were out. I thought that was weird since the service already works, we even used the username/password that the phone sales people gave us which the setup CD asked for.

My wife calls in to re-schedule and has to leave town for training. She asks that I stay for the technician appointment a few days later. The technician arrives expecting to do an install. I point to the computer and working cable modem and he's puzzled, tells me there's a bill for me to pay, and he goes to work outside (probably at the cable box). My wife is not tech savvy and women tend to get ripped off (another example would be mechanics adding extra labor/parts) so I wanted to know exactly what the bill was for.

I call Cox's phone number on the original work order left at our door and the moron on the phone refused to tell me what the bill was for. I had to argue with her for about an hour without resolution. I don't have my wife's SS#, but my wife is out of town, and they refuse to even call her to verify the info I was piling on them. I told the moron at the phone to contact the technician who was already on-site to come back to my door and show me the work order. She said she can't do that w/o the SS#... idiots! He's already there and they were able to contact him by radio and send him to the next appointment. So the tech left w/o giving me the status of the work order or showing me the paperwork on what I was supposed to pay/sign for! He was already there. If they were worried about verifying ID, maybe the technician can check for them. No, Cox technicians and contractors don't ask for ID or verify SS#'s, but they are OK with over-the-phone. What morons!

Now Cox HSI service is completely out. After an hour, I was finally able to get a supervisor. He's a robot who was muttering the same cover-up line about not having a SS# so he can't do anything. I told him again that the service was already working before I called in, before the second technician arrived, before I spoke with him. So Cox employees made the situation worse! I already had service, I didn't know what the technician was doing there, the technician thought he was there for an install (even though they sent a self-install kit that worked), the customer service monkey couldn't tell me what the bill was, and the supervisor can't do anything... and they still expected me to pay the bill from the tech! The supervisor told me that his manager was out of the office to resolve the issue that the customer flunkie couldn't resolve, that the technician couldn't resolve, that he couldn't resolve, and will call me back within 24-48 hours. That's BS because I'm already disconnected.

Hours later, after my wife got of training in another state, she was able to call me and Cox. Guess what? They were CLOSED for the day! What kind of morons run a 24/7 ISP that closes after 6pm! Then number they left us had an automatic recording to call back the next day. Even when you follow Cox procedure, you still get screwed.

My advice is to shop for another ISP. Even if you think Cox service is good, they'll screw it up. At the very least, avoid contact with any Cox employees or contractors. If it works, don't let Cox HSI break it. BTW, their pricing isn't competitive and there are intermittent drops in service. Not such a big issue if I wasn't disconnected completely.

I just moved to a new neighborhood where Cox was the only broadband ISP available. I was using Sprint beforehand for the years between updating this review, I recommend Sprint DSL over Cox. Anyway, back to Cox. Just get the Value package. You won't see the difference anyway because PowerBoost is like VTEC on a Honduh, pretty useless for the VAST majority of the time and completely useless when you need real speed instead of being faked out by compression.

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Baseless

It isn't Cox's fault you didn't have the information to verify the account. If they handed you a bill why not just read it?
Needleinthha

join:2009-11-30

bad review

Its pretty standard that any company needs to verify the identity of the account holder before they can give out any info...its not their fault you didn't have the info to verify the account...
also you can easily update the autopayment by logging into their website, it takes 2 minutes....
you sound like a very unpleasant person

• Location: San Clemente,Orange,CA

Canceling Cox after many years. I woke up to the fact that they were charging
me $200+ per month for cable, phone and internet. Shame on me for letting
it go so long. Cox promised a rate of $96 per month for the same service. Gave
me that rate for 2 months and then bounced it up to $147 per month. I don't need
to do business with this crew. Im trying DISH. Hope it works.

(review was emailed from domain dlblaw.net)

Comments:
nmlobo

join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA
·Cox HSI

Huh?

You wrote that your cox bill is over $200 per-month, Cox offered you a plan for $96 a month for two months and then it jumped to $146 a month. How much are really paying?

Depending on what level of TV and internet service you receive, $200 a month for tv, internet, and phone service would not seem out of line. Do you expect to receive internet and phone from Dish?

Review by mcglry See Profile

• Location: Chandler,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Great Speed 50-60 Mbps Down - 20 Mbps Up (Premium Package - Default)"
Bad "a little pricy but seems good for the Speed"
Overall "Fast and Reliable"

A lot of other people seem to complain about price and speed in the Phoenix Area. I have had cox for over 6 years now, I've only had about 4 outages since. Cox's leased equipment is not the greatest (DOCSIS 2 - Mainly), so you should definitely buy your own equipment preferably DOCSIS 3. Cox has just recently upgraded speeds to 50/20 on the default package. I've been getting about 60 MBPS Down and about 20 MBPS Up. Overall a Good service to have in the Phoenix Area.

$160 is for all Cable, Internet, and Home Phone. The cost of the Internet is about $75.

Comments:

Review by Bayoutechla See Profile

• Location: New Orleans,Jefferson,LA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Very reliable"
Bad "Pricing is high but better value than competition, especially at higher levels"
Overall "very happy with service"

Had Cox HSI at Preferred level along with other services since day one of moving into my recently purchased house. Got service established right after the previous people moved out, no tech visit needed. Used to have land-phone; dropped it when I ported the number over to a wireless carrier. Have always had strong signal, but that's probably due more to my geographical area. Speed tests have always been right at the rated speed with Powerboost; now they are a little higher since the install of a DPC3010 (previously on an SB5120).

Outages have been extremely seldom and have never lasted more than a few hours over the past five years.

(Contract term is listed because I was able to obtain a discount for 12 months on the internet service during the past year.) Monthly price for service has creeped up over the years, as I'm sure most ISP's have.

Comments:

Review by JohnW See Profile

• Location: Roanoke,Roanoke City,VA
Good "very good speeds!"
Bad "n/a so far!"
Overall "It's the best (and only choice) in my area."

I recently moved to Roanoke city from nearby Salem (city) VA. Had Verizon DSL there I heard so many bad things about Comcast HSI so I never went cable. COX cable HSI is so much faster and better! Verizon DSL not even avaliable in the neighborhood where I live so Cox was the only choice. I am really pleased with the speed! Get avg 20-25M d/l and near 1Up almost all the time. except peak times (night @8-11p) which is expected with cable. Still kicks the pants out of the more outdated DSL service. Excellent bundle as well with TV and Internet for @95 bucks counting taxes/fees with 250+ channels along with @70 HD channels and a good lineup to boot.

Doubt if Verizon Fios will ever be in the area even though one of the main hubs is located in Roanoke. It's a matter of demographics and "rich" people areas to them.

Also, Cox tech support is USA based! Not overseas based like Verizon. Being a former tech support guy tech support not an issue for me. Recommend using OpenDNS servers for best connection.

I highly recommend Cox in the city. But -- speeds can vary based on the location. I guess I am one of the lucky ones

UPDATE 4/26/2011

I was out of my area on vacation last week when I came back easter sunday got a nice suprise. My upload went from near 1M to 5M!! most of the time been over 5

My average connection now 20M down/5M up very nice. Cox in my area is so good. I know the Cox Arizona territory was making this upgrade (upload) I was surprised it occured in Roanoke, Va.

Couldn't be happier with this service. BTW I am on the preffered level (middle of the road tier).

Update 6/15/2011

I don't know WTF happened but since first of june my upload went back down to near 1M. the good... seems the download went UP! sometimes above 25M at night. doesn't bother me I'd rather have higher download anyway I am not an online gamer and all.

Update 7/4/2011

well.. getting a little upset with Cox the deal too good to last. I checked my lastest bill pending for July 16th and apparently the "free" HBO for 6 months didn't auto cancel so.. got billed the regular rate 15.99! Gonna cancel after the holidays. I am not spending 16 bucks for HBO. I however did expect the regular cable package to go up it's not Cox fault it's the greedy content providers (i.e. Viacom, ESPN, etc) and the cable cos have no other choice to pass this on to the consumer. most cable subs get this backwards like its the cable cos fault. But, they shouldn't have upped the internet service price as well. Overall a good deal still with the choices I get TV and Internet combined.

Update 8/31/2011

Cox still rocking for me! Cable TV excellent, Internet speed very consistent hardly ever dips below around 15-20M down 1 Up anytime of day performing speedtests (from D.C servers) still goes much higher near 30M off peak hrs nice I don't understand Powerboost I always thought it boosted speeds just for 30 sec or so but every download I do never drops suddenly. Makes it more cool. Only gripe I have is the roughly 20 dollar rate increase used to be 99 now near 110.00 counting tax fees. still the best deal where I live. If I got say any dish with almost eqivalent channel selection and seperate Cox internet service would be much more expensive. Can't bundle Dish/DSL from Verizon (DSL not avaliable in my neighborhood) and since I have Cox for 9 months now I would not want to go back to DSL too slow and such a dying internet method.

Update 06/03/2013

Cox internet upgraded to docsis 3.0 in the area a month ago made a huge difference in stability of the speeds.. consistant 13M down anytime during the day about the same Upload speeds. I did however got faster download speed before the upgrade sometimes hitting 30M but I'll take consistency over the prior 15M to 30M speed.

TV still good but wished they had more sports channels in my cox area like others have like CBS sports net and the Fox sports channels (atlantic/central/pacific) overall happy with my service after 2 1/2 yrs with it.

Comments:
JohnW

join:2011-03-13
·Cox HSI

Update 11/04/2011

this update not for the Internet service which still rocks but TV service. The recent On Screen guide upgrade made all the difference in the world! Before the new guide watching On Demand was a pain in the ass took so long for it to show up and sometimes even caused my cable box to restart that took 5 mins. The channels change (including On Demand mostly) so much quicker now I even called the tech support on this praising the change. Way to go Cox!!

Review by valuequest See Profile

• Location: Chesapeake,Chesapeake City,VA
Good "reasonably reliable service"
Bad "pricing and business practices are questionable"
Overall "probably no particularly better or worse than alternatives"

I have been subscribed to Cox HSI service since October 2002 (I originally wrote this review in May 2010).

Re: ordering and installation

> I had no particular reservations about the ordering and installation. I seem to recall about 5 days between ordering and having the techs come out to install. The techs actually worked for a company that Cox had contracted for field work. Actually I've seen just as many or more Cox contractors' trucks and people working around my area as I have seen Cox trucks and people.

Re: service

> Over the years I have had 7 or 8 times when I just could not get an IP address for hours. At one point in 2007 this lasted for several days and I called them to send a tech to troubleshoot. Since then I have noticed service outages once every 15 months or so but they are usually a few hours or less.

> July.2011: I called in to Technical Support because I wanted to change my modem out for another one that I had recently acquired. The tech support rep told me that the modem I wanted to provision was "in inventory" and that it would be easier for them if I had the modem's previous owner contact them. That first tech support rep apparently also did something which disabled my service so I ended up calling back a few hours later. The second tech support rep provisioned the modem that I had tried on the first call without any kind of fuss whatsoever.

Re: business practices

> In the spring of 2008 a Cox HSI rep called me (the one and only time that's ever happened) and said they would be discounting my service by $8 per month. I thought they had put my account into some kind of customer loyalty program. About a year later I discovered that the rep actually had booked my account for a "verbal contract" -- had I decided to cancel in the following year they would have surprised me with a termination fee. I asked them to provide me with the terms of the contract agreement BEFORE I renewed it. They said they would send that to me AFTER I agreed to it. This experience has left me wondering what they will try to pull next. Apparently Comcast has been doing the same thing with its customers.

FYI if you are considering Cox HSI service: at some point Cox decided to split their internet service into tiered service levels -- look carefully for your best value.

Comments:

Review by LazamairAMD See Profile

• Location: Catoosa,Rogers,OK
Good "Much better than AT&T DSL by far."
Bad "200GB/month data cap, extended lead time due to Digital Telephone."
Overall "If you need to choose between AT&T and Cox HSI, get Cox!"

Got Cox HSI bundled with Phone and TV. Placed the initial order on Saturday, and was initially slated for a Sunday install (on Easter no less!), however, with the addition of Digital Telephone, the lead time was extended 3 days, mainly due to the porting of my existing number.

Installation was relatively painless. Received a Cisco DPQ3212 device for the Phone and HSI. New box needed installation on house for the digital telephone. Tech was very cooperative, and patient with issues with my wireless router. After install, nothing but speed.

12Mb/2Mb HSI line, with steady 16-20Mb downstream and 5-8Mb upstream. No complaints so far!

lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by UFO BOGIE 1 See Profile

• Location: Wichita,Sedgwick,KS
Good "Very Good Service, Very happy .."
Overall "Going to stay with them ..!!!!"

·Vonage
I had ATT. DSL, for about 4 years...., Just got tired of the run around. and the add ons, just time for a change. I had the 1.5 speed but the best thay could get me is 1.1 or 1.2 at the best.. So I went with Cox I've had it about 2 months so far,, so good.. I'm on the 7 mg speed now, but going to do the 3 months at $29.99, then go to the 1.5 speed at $26.99, I'm retired, can;t aford the good stuff,, plus I just do a little surfing and reading so that will work good for me. Will let ya know how it goes in a few months. Update 7/2/08...Very Happy with Cox.. Service has been very good... The 1.5 speed is alot faster than the 1.5 speed of the DSL that I had with ...ATT... Customer service has been real good & fast.. & get to talk to a real person faster too...... so I'm very happy with what I have.. Its 2/01/09 Been with Cox for awhile now.. very happy with the service.. I don't have any problems with them.. GOOD SERVICE..!!! Update 8/14/09... Still a Very good Service.. NO problems at all.. UpDate..8/14/11.. Well I left this area for 2 years. Went to the NW. part of Alabama, Had Comcast Service, it was a Bad...!! A lot of problems with the service, I am so glad to be back with COX.... BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK...!!!!!

member for 5.9 years, 43 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by TechnoNinj4 See Profile

• Location: Oceanside,San Diego,CA
Good "fast connection"
Bad "inconstant performance and stupid expensive"
Overall "I really wish there was a ISP in my area"

Honestly I hate Cox, their duopoly with Time Warner here in Sand Diego is disgusting and I really wish someone offered better download and upload speeds for their price if not cheaper. I just recently upgraded my modem so I now have max speeds of 24 DL x 24 UL but its still leaves a lot to be desired, especially compared to services like Google Fiber or Verizon FiOS.

member for 1 year, 1 visits, last login: 1 year ago