Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by Renaldok7 See Profile

• Location: Yukon,Canadian,OK
Good "Speeds are at or above what is advertised"
Bad "Field Techs should have more knowledge and a better attitude."
Overall "Not bad considering there isn't any true competition."

I purchased the Ultimate package, Installation was a snap. I am using the Cisco DPQ3212 modem. After a few hiccups and user error on my part service is up and working flawlessly. My only complaint is a lack of thorough troubleshooting by the Field Rep. The CSRs whom I dealt with were knowledgeable and friendly. Overall a 4.5 out of 5.

Comments:

Review by tronester3 See Profile

• Location: Tulsa,Tulsa,OK
Good "Very good download speeds, I get 50mbps down, 10mbps up. Excellent latency as well."
Bad "Pathetic Data usage cap of 300 gigabytes per month."
Overall "Unfortunately they are the best option in Tulsa. Maybe Google will lay fiber."

I've had Cox for several years now. The speeds are a bit better than ATT Uverse from what I've seen. Every once in awhile I will have a connection issue where I will have to reset the cable modem.

Called up their sales as I needed to upgrade from preferred to premiere. Told Saleswoman I was thinking of switching to ATT. Asked what kind of discount I could get. She took off 30 dollars or so from the entire 175 dollar bill. Said that was the best she could do. Then told her to transfer me to the cancellation department. She then said she handled that. She asked if I wanted to cancel service immediately, I said no, set the disconnect date for two weeks from the day in order to have ATT service put in first. She immediately started backpedaling and dropped another 20 dollars off the price. Sketchy that they can lie to customers like that.

No latency issues for online gaming. Pings of sub 40ms are common.

For 25mbps, you will utilize your entire data usage allotment for the month in just under 24 hours assuming you max out your downstream connection. Obviously this isn't typically going to happen.

If you divide out 250 gigabytes over an entire month, your download speed would ACTUALLY be less than 1mbps. Pathetic if you think about it.

****New Review****

Several years later, here I am back to update. I just bought a new docsis 3.0 modem and cut all of my services except premier internet. I have no complaints whatsoever with the speed, which is now 50mbps down and 10mbps up. Low latency as well. What I am mad about are the data caps. My downstream is now double and upstream almost quadruple what they were, yet my data cap has only gone from 250 gigabytes a month to 300. I've already gotten emails from them that I am using too much of their precious bandwidth. They are the only option in town at this speed range (AT&T is 18/2.5 max) and cox knows it. I guess I will continue to stream my 4k netflix and use my online backup and keep getting notices from them until they actually threaten to cancel my account.

Comments:

Review by averagedude See Profile

• Location: Murrieta,Riverside,CA
Good "-"
Bad "-"
Overall "-"

Update: As of the first of Jan 2011, I have moved and I am no longer in Cox territory.

Comments:

Review by johnlgalt See Profile

• Location: Bonaire,Houston,GA
Good "Good high speed, fast to upgrade before making public announcements about upgrades"
Bad "Higher than 1% downtime b/c of upgrades"
Overall "Well worth the price"

We have the premier package from Cox HSI, which used to be their top tier for consumers, but now the top tier is held by the ultimate package. For the price, though, compared to the offerings in the ultimate package, we save $30 / month and get near the same speeds on the downstream.

Overall, I am happy with Cox's service, and their customer service, when I have had to deal with them. When my old Motorola SB 5120 simply would not let me get speeds any faster than ~32 Mbps, I call support and they advised me that since I had had the connection for so long (9 years as of now, 7 years at that point) the modem, being DOCSIS 2.0, could not handle the higher speeds, and then asked if I wanted to buy a replacement modem. I verified that I could purchase one anywhere, and connect and it would be ready to go with all provisioning in place, and she (Cox CSR) advised me to give them a call.

Purchased a Motorola SB 6120, made the connections, called Cox, and was back up and running within a minute of the call.

As for the original install, they were gracious enough to take a look at the house's older wiring (RG59) and run a new direct line to the location where the modem is currently at.

Previously had bundled with Cox IP Telephone services, but gave that up several years back in favor of Vonage.

Running everything through a NetGear WNDR4500 4 port wired + Wireless (a/b/g/n) router that I configured myself with additional security measures in place.

Wired, I routinely get 7+ MB/s download speeds, and wireless I can still pull as fast as 4+ MB/s.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with Cox HSI.

Comments:

Review by LeeCNE See Profile

• Location: Tiverton,Newport,RI
Good "Faster than advertised on DOCSIS 3."
Bad "No problems"
Overall "Excellent service."

Excellent service. Blazing speed, faster than advertised. Very reliable.

Comments:

TerrapinNiel

@98.176.95.x

Terrible email Access Support

The worst !! Simply no words to explain the 45 minute wait two days in a row trying to fix a problem. After two days trying and a total of more than 1hr 30 minutes we got a hold of a nice lady who said that she could not help repair email access. That they will charge $90 dollars to resolve the problem directly The very nice and calm lady (gotta give her that) simply had no way of helping. She had no access to email, could not receive emails, could not join.me, could not share creen, couldn't practically do anything other than answer the call and charge $90 dollars extra for the already overpriced cox service.

Review by JJG3 See Profile

• Location: US
Good "Lightning fast, great service"

·HughesNet Satell..
I have Cox for home internet, which is great. I ordered it for our business and they went out of their way to find the right package and pricing. A few days later, we were up and running. Speed is governed down to 100 MBps but spikes higher occasionally. Never lower than 100. The few calls I've had to make were simple and effective. And I can get to my account rep by email, no need to deal with different people every time.

Very solid.

Comments:

Review by brnreaves See Profile

• Location: Virginia Beach,Virginia Beach City,VA
Good "Reliable connectivity"
Bad "Horrible installation techs! Subcontractors could care less!!!!"
Overall "Cox is a good reliable ISP service that can't manage their size!"

None: COX HSI is the only logical choice in Va Beach, West Neck area.
COX Premier Package 15Mbs down, 5Mbs up. 56.00mo. bundle package. 52.00 dig phone service is going to be removed in place of Vonage, or similar. I represent the West Neck Community (local source) for everything "computers and/or media home related" I firmly believe that the installation services from cox communications are horrible w.r.t. the retirement community. I have been a part of several HSI package installs in the community and I'm still in shock as to the response integrity of local install techs as well as customer support employees. I guess they figure that integrity refers to a recorded message with a 20min prompt session followed by generic answers, and followed up with lies. There isn't enough space here to relate with details, and I am a very "silent" kind of guy in the net world, but enough is enough, thus this post.

Motorola 5200 / purchased new. Thank god I didn't opt for there VolIp box? "anyone can sling cable all over hell!"

Last bullet = the above and it keeps going round and round.

Room for thought.... consider the demise of the auto industry, The bigger you are, the harder you fall!

Brian

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by pholdy See Profile

• Location: Lemon Grove,San Diego,CA
Good "Never had a problem with my internet"
Bad "MY HD T.V. was unreliable for 6 months. Finally called them and they sent a tech and fixed the problem with a new box."
Overall "Works as advertised"

COX utimate package..

Kinda expensive, but worth it!

member for 7 years, 4 visits, last login: 1 year ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Hard Harry See Profile

• Location: West Warwick,Kent,RI
Good "Fast and dependable. Can own all hardware."
Bad "Sometimes saturated peering"
Overall "Was Cox customer before, during and after employment."

::Full Disclosure:: I worked for Cox communication for seven years in a technical roll, but no longer have any connections or discussions with them, ending my employment sometime last year. If this is a conflict of interest, moderator please delete.

I have had Cox since 2005 when download had just been upgraded to 1.5Mbps!! I now have their Premier plan with a Cisco DPQ3212 and a Asus RT-N66U. The only reason I'm not using a stand alone modem (which I usually suggest to other) is to bypass the splitter needed for two separate devices. Only the occasional outage every 6-8 months or so, generally either weather, ingress, or general maintenance related. The only major issues I have was between Cox and Youtube, that took several months to resolve, but was resolved to my satisfaction. Overall I was happy to be a Cox customer, but now I am moving out of their footprint. Thank you for the 9 years of service!

Signal levels

Channel 4: 38.9 dBmV

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 7764.png
»mcs.focusvision.com/mysp ··· d=153704

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by DJsailor See Profile

• Location: Falls Church,Fairfax,VA
Good "Fast speed"
Bad "Headache each year trying to keep costs down"
Overall "Works well but service is slipping"

We had Earthlink/Covad DSL but it went though a Verizon Switch Office and every few months went down. Problem was Verizon since they sent out techs to our home to help trouble shoot why we kept losing connection. Tried to get Verizon DSL since we figured if we only had to deal with Verizon, we would have less problems. Verizon could not even get the order in. Spent hours on the phone with Verizon and after a month, gave up on them. Cox came when they said they would. Did a nice install job, and help deal with a telephone problem caused by Verizon. System has only gone down for a day over a years time. Very fast but sometimes hangs. I find hitting the refresh solves the issue.

Update 3/1/14:

Well, we've been with Cox for 6.5 years now. Have TV, Internet, and 2 Phone lines with them. They are starting to slip in service as they move to protect their profits. I have to call each year to bargain with them about keeping my bill down. Even then, it has crept up from $180 to $220 a month. My internet speed has increased though not as much as they say. A speed test through the Cox web page says 32 mbs down and 20 mbs up. DSL Reports tests have been showing a lot slower: 12 mbs down and 6 mbs up. Package I have says "Speed UP TO 50 mbs down and 10 mbs up. Needless to say I am not seeing anything like that.

Cox is also cutting back on their Call Center help. It use to take about 1-2 mins to get help. Now I wait 15 to 20 mins to get a 'person' on the line to help. Then it takes 3-4 transfers to other people to get the one who can help. I got an email from Cox saying they have updated their system and I now need to get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem (vs the DOCSIS 2.0 I had) to get the speed I am paying for. The email says I can rent or pay a single time fee. Calling them, I found out I can get a new modem for free since I have phone service with them. Was told I could have it sent to me. Transferred to 3 people and found out I had to bring it to a Cox Service Center (a half hour away, not too bad but a heck of a way to spend a Friday night!) The Tech at the store there tried to figure out my bill and could not. He, at least, is professional enough to say he wants to research it and get back to me. Kudos for him to understand what customer service is.

BOTTOM LINE: Cox Internet is OK for now but their service/tech help is slipping.