Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by amungus See Profile

• Location: Manhattan,Riley,KS
Good "fastest available in area"
Bad "recent troubles with consistency"
Overall "usually very good"

·KCH Cable
Update - Sep. 5th 2013:

Back to Cox since around June 2013. The house had a rental modem/router combo unit (Cisco, I believe) and speeds were inconsistent, as was wireless stability. Replaced with a modem that I purchased, and new router. Speeds stable and consistent ever since. Wired connection was slightly better on the rental, but it's nice to own my own stuff, and I prefer to have a router that I can tinker with a little bit.

Currently on the "preferred" plan (25Mbps I believe) and speeds are consistent.
Their fastest plan is 100Mbps, I think. "Powerboost" allows for 188Mbps, so I have heard.

It's good to be back.

---

I've had Cox internet since 2002. When I first signed up, I was on the 3Mbps "preferred" package and would get 4.4Mbps most times. Since the upgrade to 4Mbps, I got 4 down, and 512kbps up, which was good.
At that address, they were great. Not only was the service good, their support was awesome. Any problems were solved quickly and by friendly people.
One day a line was snagged by a passing truck, and they had people out there fixing it that very same day, and double checking every point on the road. Techs were always friendly and took pride in their work, and for good reason.

At my new address, I signed back up with them, on the standard "preferred" service again. Things went smoothly, and speeds were consistent.
After about a month, I had to go to the "basic" 256kbps up/down for financial reasons. It worked, barely. I suffered through it, and was still able to surf web pages fairly well.

Recently, I opted for the "premier" package because of a promo offer for 3 months at $40.
I have yet to see 9/1 speeds. Upload has been mostly consistent, at 1 Mbps, but download speeds have been nothing short of horrible. Sometimes, in the early morning hours, I can see 5Mbps, but this is NOT what I am supposed to get.
After numerous calls, and troubleshooting, the issue is still unresolved in my area. The last tech mentioned that my modem might be bad, so I might try a new one. We'll see. From the forum talk, I gather that something bigger is to blame, so I can't say that the local folks are really at fault here yet.

Speaking of the modem, I went with one that they wanted to loan me. Instead they offered a very nice option that I did not know about at the time.
Monthly payments on it. For 4 months, I paid it off about $14 at a time. This was very nice since I didn't want to drive down to a local store and plunk down however much all at once.

Since these troubles, I must say I'm slightly disappointed at the level of service though. Phone techs have been good and bad, but none of this is their fault, and really they can't do a whole lot other than dispatch a tech. Sure they tested my signals etc. but were rather unhelpful the last time I called...
The service tech who tested everything was about my age; young adult. Very knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. He informed me that there was nothing really wrong on my end, and that there wasn't much he could really do.

If the speeds return to 'normal' I'll be a happy camper, but for now, I'd rather have a reliable 4Mbps than this flaky "premier" service which has been horrible.
Download speeds in the evening hours have varied from 2.5Mbps down, to 512kbps down. Very inconsistent to say the least.

Still a good isp for the area, and the people are great. At this point, my patience is running thin, so I may yet consider DSL even though I'd rather not have to get a phone service with that. Either way, as long as the service is consistent, it really is unbeatable around here, so if you go with them, and they're sailing along smoothly, you should be just fine.

UPDATE - 2-27-06
The premier rocks. Finally got the 9/1 package, and can sometimes get 11Mbps!!! My internet goes to '11'!!! Still a lot slower at nights on occasion, but that's because there are tons of college students in my area, and that's just how cable works sometimes. Hey, no complaints here after things got updated. It has become more consistent, and that's all that matters right now.

UPDATE - 12-1-06

Back to "preferred" service for the past several months. Speeds have been very consistent, and I've only had a couple of very short outages that never really affected me. Upload is 512Kbps, Download is now 6Mbps as per a recent upgrade. I've seen speeds nearing 7Mbps at times, but it's usually more consistently around what they advertise at 6Mbps, which is plenty fast for me. The bump for me is reason enough to stay on the preferred instead of spending any more money on "premium" services, though the premium is pretty fast!

Overall, Cox is still doing pretty good w/their internet service around here, and the speed increase is a nice bonus. As long as it's consistent, I'm happy.

------------

UPDATE 7-2-07

Well I've been "upgraded" to whatever the latest speeds are now 6-7Mbps I think, and things are going well for the most part.

No recent disconnects or REALLY bad speed drops like before. Things have just been, well, stable for the most part.

Every once in awhile I do a speed test, and have got some incredible "boost" speeds of up to 22Mbps! ..Granted, those don't last very long, but sustained download speeds have been up to 1.5Mega BYTES per sec! ...Avg. is more like anything from 800KB/sec to 1.2MB/sec.

They must've changed some things at their office, because things have been mostly stable.

Only weirdness is that my IP address has changed a couple times, once it was to some address that was in/near Louisiana if I recall...

Still a fair deal around here as long as you can get a stable link. DSL is nowhere close to their speeds though it is usually a bit more reliable in the long run.

Comments:

Review by rulds See Profile

• Location: San Marcos,San Diego,CA
Good "FAST! Superior then ATT U Verse at 5MBPS"
Bad "Involuntary disconnect"
Overall "Will put up with it until they fix but will not pay until then."

·DSL EXTREME
Please do not take this as a rant. Cox is a wonderful company, the building was just just activated on the 22nd of April.

Tech told me our cable is to far is why we are having so much difficulty.

The came back out and put a drop amp and some Mocca's on the line which improved the signal just a tad.

Cox is scheduled to be back out here Today to do some improvements , we will be patient and wait.

So far I am happy with what they CAN provide me. Its awesome to have 35/12 service.

It's awesome to have decent TV.

They just got to fix the host box so we can finally not call them.

I will update...

Update 07/05/2013

I have not had the opportunity to update for a while but there is allot going on in the negative with cox.

»youtu.be/kDZWeBdsflY

Click on the above YouTube channel I will upload more. Clearly this box was working at one time as there is time on the front which is correct. This box failed and my dvr network works on the box so it's not the mocca network. Cox just does to get the reason why we have all these issues nor do I have the time to take the opportunity to prove them wrong accept for posting on these boards.

We pay 216 dollars for all our substandard services and we get nothing but a band aid. We are giving cox plenty of opportunity to fix. And have be patient with them.

Update.

Well we have a downed box again , will not respond to remote so I called Cox, Laura Eddingtom a appointment was scheduled for a tech to replace box... It was canceled by who well Laura they said. I said we'll WTF? They said I had to call her for a truck roll. I said we'll I tried she does not answer her emails. I said please replace my box. They say we cannot, I said we'll come pick up the boxes and cancel the whole home they transfer me to retaintions which wanted to offer me 50 bucks credit. I said we'll Laura is just going to shoot down the credit. The call ended with no resolution. 1 day later I get a certified letter that Cox will disconnect my service on Aug 22 which is not even 30 days notice.... They said because of my frequent pattern of calls, vexing and using foul language I am disrupting there business ????

I talked to Silvia Dunbar which said they rather have paying customers that do not complain then ones that do.. This means they do not care about quality just there bottom line.

I apologized for the foul language but they still want to not service me. I asked if my parents can sign up. She said she is making my apartment not serviceable so no. I asked why she says she does not want them calling to. WoW so this company does not know how to handle there customers they rather cancel a whistle blower then fix it.

I pay 216 a month get that.. That is a car payment for cable tv , Internet, phone and I am VIP??? Really Cox, really?

So back to the local regulatory commission , I cannot wait I am not stopping until these two individuals understand that the customer is what pays there checks..

Comments:
rulds

·Cox HSI

Update

Well the installers came back out but these were 3rd party installers.

1. Drop Amplifier was removed
2. Host box replaced.
3. Signal was at -7dpmv from -19dpmv

Huge improvement and they were like WTF are the in house installers doing? Why did they amp this? Why was we on a wrong tap?

I could not stop laughing my BUTT off. They even upgraded my host to 1 TERABYTE DVR. The firmware was upgraded as well.

They were extremely professional, knew WTF they were doing and they were not even in house SCARY!

Cox is DA BOMB they just neeed to work on there in house guys.

Update 4/27/2013

We lost internet connection , so I called and they said we are having signal issues AGAIN!!

I am still being patient with them, there new in the building... However its getting old calling them. Seeming I am being a whiner but hey $190 for this is a little much.

They said they could have someone Sunday but I am at church then so I asked if they can call a FSO..

·Cox HSI

Speed test after phone call

»www.speedtest.net/iphone/531308330.png

Not looking good here. We got signal loss at there modem. They will be out from 8- 10 Monday. So we are knocking on some pretty hard oak wood on service here.
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

$190 Really?

Just curious but how is it that you are paying them so much? $190? Isn't that just a bit high?

Re: $190 Really?

Well you figure it's a whole home system so they are charging per box and one dvr. Plus Internet, plus phone and yeah it's way high but who else can I get the same from we cannot have dish.

·Cox HSI

Another video of there box crapping out

»m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl5KEkmq9CQ

2 edits

Cox responds.

update
Well I basically had a 1 hour intelligent conversation with Call Center Operations Laura.

She said that what she ment by the letter is that when I call there will be no support or trucks rolled without her authorization. She still wants to be involved with my issues. She claims that the employees I k ow can get fired for devolging the account notes which she said she can look everyone up to see who accessed the account and basically they can be termed.

Well I wish her good luck with that these people are in very high positions there it just some rep. Cox Laura goes on with more concern of there's because I mentioned I know what Sylvia looks like well folks if you search Sylvia Dunbar on the Internet well you will find some nice photos on her link in account. Not to mention she was at a location in 2007. I explained I am a 316 pound guy with a heart for people and would never hurt anyone and I don't have any record as such.

Well the call was productive she said she is going to send out her group to investigate service issues so we will see. I told her if she takes care of this I would take down her letter that just went viral on another site and work with them in a positive manner.

We will see if she completes her promise and credits are issued accordingly. Folks this is not a rant its all truth and I tell you I have had some negative xperiences that most would not tolerate.

I do have a meeting with UCANN sometime tomorrow regarding issues with Cox. UCANN has seen many of the issues and is wondering and wanting to talk. So I got a watch dog group ready to battle should cox move unto a negative approach.

Folks records can be court ordered and if there is missing stuff in those records then there can be some issues. We will play a wait and see with Cox. We will give Laure her due process out of courtesy. Wednesday is there target so by Friday if not communication has been made we will proceed another way.

I forgot to mention the letter says Ms Keith and the last time I checked my private area for any malpractice I am Mr Keith , Yep I still carry my male organs, and oh if I called there call center and did not cooperate and she said she recorded me then umm she would have known I am a male. I guess it's my first name that throws these invalids off and makes them out to be such a lair LOL.

Also if you look at the address umm I think we never would have a part 500 Lol and then on the certified mail she puts the correct Address , wow not trying to offend but being in Operations I think they need a High School diploma at least ROTFLMAO.

Thanks Dslreports for all you do to help customers voice there valid ratings.

UCANN Agreed

I have a unwavering UCANN and CPUC support regarding Cox they cannot deny, delay service under there own terms of service. So last night I had nothing but issues with the Internet now let me out there inconsistent issues

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/595627833

So the outcome 8 hours later well it was restored. We have a truck roll schedule today and there going to call me a liar but little do they know I got print outs of all there inconsistent drop outs and they advertise constant speeds better then DSL and I am going to hold them to there promise or discount my package.

Cox is just how it sounds and just what they are, they chicken around there service. When they are it here its crap, when the come well it works why? We think they visit the tap first or they are playing with tools before the knock on the door. We will see I get some good footage this time.

I will update UCANN tomarrow

StevenP88

join:2010-11-01
Springfield, MO
·CableOne

Re: UCANN Agreed

Well I am gonna put my 2 cents in here, calling so much over service issues will get you terminated with them, cox is not the only company that has terminated customers for excessive calls, sprint did this 2 years ago and terminated people for calling in to much, I have Cable One and i can call in as much as I want and they don't care, also have AT&T and can call in as much as I want, but of course both of these accounts are business account for my business, but then again, I never have problem with them.. I can see Cox standing on this, it does cost them money to run the call center and it does cost money to provide support.. Yes they aren't perfect, but they have a right to refuse service

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR

Re: UCANN Agreed

dish network does it as well.

Review by br0ken_69 See Profile

• Location: Baton Rouge,East Baton Rouge,LA
Good "EXTREMELY FAST data trsnsfers"
Bad "Seems to be a bit spotty during bad weather, althought this could be because it is a rather fresh install."
Overall "Great value"

I have live in Baton Rouge all of my life and and always considered Cox my go-to ISP. I've always been a heavy gamer as well as downloader of many, many larges files. Well AT&T U-Verse came in and offered an internet package of 24Mbps/3Mbps. Well this was the fastest package available for a while, even thought I NEVER received over 21Mbps for my downstream regardless of trying speed test, downloads, etc. I almost almost got the 3Mbps upload though. Well I recently found out that Cox offers a plan that is 150Mbps/20Mbps. I understand this type of speed isn't generally designed to be maxed out by one machine but there are several computers, tables, gaming consoles, as well as smart phones in the house, all of which use Wi-Fi. The fastest I have gotten one a single device was approximately 85Mbps down and about 28Mps up. This got me way more excited that it should have, but what can I say, i'm a geek! lol. Anyhow, between their TV and DVR service and very very few issues with their internet, I would recommend Cox to any friends in the area. You just cannot come close to these speeds with any other residential connection with Eatel Fiber or even AT&T U-Verse. A friend of mine in Ascension parish has Eatel and I am a former U-Verse user, so I can definitely say that Cox is better in every way based on my own personal comparisons. If AT&T would up their internet speed packages, this very well may have been a different conversation but, as of now, 24Mbps/3Mbps, just is NOT cutting it for my needs. Also, keep in mind, Cox offers 150/20Mbps as a RESIDENTIAL connection so there won't be any extra fees involved as it isn't a business class connection.

One last bonus for Cox is their "Speed Boost" or whatever the crap it is called. My 150/20 connection is capable of 188/25. Cox's "Speed Boost" gives the transfer cap a certain percentage increase for a certain number a seconds. The same applies for am upload except the duration it should stay at 20Mbps instead of going to 25-30Mbps for a few seconds. Overall, Cox is a great ISP. I will not be tricked into switching ISPs again just because they offer a package faster than what I currently have because Cox has proven to be reliable and to regularly increase their packages speeds. I think I will be with a Cox customer for life!

Comments:

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA

EBR Cox cable review

Sounds like you're a satisfied Cox customer. I'm curious as to which of their offered plans you're describing, whether or not you're using a Cox-supplied modem, and if so, which brand/model it is.

thanks in advance.

Review by bswarm See Profile

• Location: Santee,San Diego,CA
Good "Faster than DSL when it works"
Bad "Constant dropouts especially late afternoons and weekends"
Overall "I hope Google Fiber-optic comes to town soon"

I switched from ATT DSL to Cox HSI about a year ago. The speed is up to spec's, but the connection dropouts are about 5 times a day to 15 times a day on afternoons and weekends. Numerous support requests and only getting generic answers. Upstream power levels are 47 dBmV to 51dBmV and disconnects above 51dBmV.

Update:
The Cox Tech showed up and said the signal was bad (from the pole lead-in at the house) They were the out next day and made repairs at several places up on the poles on my street, the signal levels are finally "nominal" and almost perfect.

Downstream SNR 36dB (was at best 34db before)
Downstream Power Levels 0 dBmV to -2 dBmV (was -12dBmV to -13dBmV)
Upstream Power Levels 41 dBmV to 43 dBmV (was 47dBmV to 51dBmV+)
Good enough.

It took at least 5 back and forth communications with Cox, and a forum post and bad review here to get things done. Really Cox? I wasn't about to let another Cox tech come in my house after the last time when they only replaced the cable ends (on the brand new cable I installed) charged me $60 and said it should be better, it wasn't.
Thanks to KipAtCox for getting the ball rolling.

Comments:
rulds

1 recommendation

Dude I hear you loud and clear

Give them hell bro... Call them and say you want credits. They should give them to you. ,auberges we can join forces here bro PM me of you like. I feel your pain.

Forget the calling and get some help here: »Cox HSI

bswarm

join:2005-07-28
Santee, CA

1 recommendation

Re: Dude I hear you loud and clear

I've already posted on the Cox HSI CA forum. »[CA] Cox HSI Dropouts/Disconnects San Diego East County
One of the Cox Tech's responded to the post and got things rolling.
I hate it when Cox treats their customers like they are idiots, some of us do have an education and know a bit about electronics. I used to custom tune 2 way C.B. radio antenna's for as close to a 1:1 SWR match for optimum performance, as well as other mods to increase power, reception, channels, etc. I even took an MIT course in electronics just for fun, pretty intense course! Learned stuff I didn't know doing this kind of work for the last 30+ years.
I'll post back here and on the forum post what happens....

Re: Dude I hear you loud and clear

Now you know why I avoid calling them. Their level 1 tiers leaves something to be desired.

·Cox HSI
The squeaky wheel always gets the grease.

Cox will try to avoid calling it there problem and charge you $15 to $30 bucks for rolling that truck. I had there $3.99 protection plan and they still charged me. I had all of them credited but still I had to waste undesired amounts of time to get Cox to own up.

There techs were questioning if I knew things. They were using jargon like there was to much tilt from the tap and though I did not understand. When I told them to filter it they said well its still within specification.

What gets me is there executive people that out restrictions on my account such as no more credit, no more truck rolls. The FCC ate them alive on that one.

Until we get a better service provider we are stuck in this monopoly and bull crap.
bswarm

join:2005-07-28
Santee, CA

Re: Dude I hear you loud and clear

Its been resolved, but I still wish Goggle would put Fiber-Optic Internet in the area. It sucks only having limited choices for high speed internet. Off topic slightly, I had AT&T's DSL service, but had to call them once per year to come out and fix bad connections at the pole. That got old fast, and on top of that, there was only level 2 DSL available, not enough bandwidth available to get level 3. And, their U-verse with Internet and TV package lacks enough bandwidth for watching Hi-Def TV and surfing/downloading at the same time. One or the other (or both) crap out. Oh well, its better than 56k dial up.

Review by parputt See Profile

• Location: New Iberia,Iberia,LA
Good "Fast and stable."
Bad "None yet."
Overall "No disconnects like I was having with AT&T"

·AT&T Southeast
Had AT&T (Bellsouth) for years. Started having disconnect issues when I moved into a new home several years ago. Finally got tired of AT&T run around. Canceled my service, drove to Cox's office, got my home install kit and was up and running in under 1hr. from canceling my AT&T account. Too early into the game to really give a accurate review, but I have been up and running solid for over a week now. Very satisfied customer at this point.

10-22-10 Over the last few weeks I started to have some dropped signal issues. Guy came out today and found a bad wire inside and a bad splitter outside. Inside wire was inaccessible, but he did everything else in his power to get my problem rectified. I will change the inside wire and they will come back out and put some connections on the ends for me. Never got service like that out of AT&T. Very satisfied COX HSI customer here.

10-22-11 Been a year now with COX and everything has been perfect. No dropped connections of any kind. Very glad I switched to COX.

7-26-13 Still loving COX. Had some remodeling done to the house recently and ran all new cable. Very reasonable price to do the work which included two drops. I will take COX over ATT all day long.

member for 12.6 years, 4216 visits, last login: 232 days ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Farcry84 See Profile

• Location: Wichita,Sedgwick,KS
Good "ask for a cox tech and they'll send one instead of one contracted out"
Bad "have terrible download speed"
Overall "there better then att out here"

I had really bad experience for 2 years with COX HSI Kansas. I constantly had dropped connections and outages and really slow speeds.I called tech support more times then i have fingers.I finally asked for an actual tech from cox themselves other than a third party contractor and the tech noticed what our problem was right away and i haven't had any drops since. download speeds are still terrible but i can't complain for a steady connection for over 6 months now. Customer service is alright they put up with my complaining and did as i asked which is a bonus.the originally supplied some scientific atlantic cable interface so i went out and bought a surfboard 6121 a year ago.

member for 1 year, 11 visits, last login: 20 days ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by BigRooster See Profile

• Location: Goleta,Santa Barbara,CA
Good "Speed + Courteous Support Reps"
Bad "Expensive + TV Picture quality not that great"
Overall "Internet is recommended; TV not so much"

I've been with Cox for just a little over 3 years. Initial install went semi-smoothly. Semi because tech couldn't get internet to work until I pointed out to him that perhaps it was because the Ethernet cable going from modem to router wasn't plugged in all the way. Not a big deal.

I've subscribed to both TV and internet services from Cox for 90% of the 3 years (I've had internet with them the entire time).

Internet Pros:

Decent speeds. I have Preferred which is 18mbit/2mbit. I can always hit those speeds no matter time, day, or month of the year. As many in the So Cal Cox forum have been complaining about since beginning of 2013; Cox hasn't rolled out any upgrades here yet. This hasn't bothered me. I'd prefer a higher upload but can't complain (well, I can - about price - but that's further down this review).

Connection has been *fairly* stable. I count 3 times in 3 years when my internet service was down for more than 4 hours. Perhaps another 3 or 4 times when service was down for an hour or less. Definitely not rock solid but I pay for residential service.

Internet Cons:

This isn't truly a con but of course, as many people subscribing to Cox have mentioned, you'll get an E-mail from Cox Tech Support if you go over your monthly bandwidth allotment. The good thing is, while I've received my fair share of said e-mails, Cox has never called, disconnected, or otherwise "punished" me for blowing quota. I found that, in my market at least, if I download less than 40GB per day then I likely won't get the e-mail from Support about overages. That's based on maybe 2 months of extreme bandwidth overages in 3 years. Take this observation with a grain of salt.

TV Pros:

Many channels offered. There're literally so many I had a hard time choosing what to watch. After, a year, though, anybody learns what he/she likes and will stop paying attention to channels that offer crap; as is the case with me.

I had a DVR for the first 6 months of my tv service. It acted like it should and never failed me (unlike Time Warner - 3 DVRs in 2 years). Afterward, I got a CableCard from Cox and used my PC as a media center; pretty awesome!

TV Cons:

Picture quality on quite of a few channels isn't that great. Compared to other providers (Dish and FiOS) ABC HD, for example, looks washed out and has some odd artifacts sometimes. NBC HD looks decent enough until there's a lot of movement.. which results in heavy pixelation. CBS HD is OK (not bad.. but also not good enough to be considered decent) because while the video quality is technically good.. it also suffers from odd artifacts much like ABC HD. In all of the examples above, I'm sure it has something to do with local affiliates and possibly the video being somewhat compressed. It's hard for me to provide a good critique since Cox flags all "premium" channels as copy once and I cannot edit a stream to look at it more closely. Therefore, I have no idea if the premiums suffer similar issues (I do see pixelation on my computer screen).

Overall:

I find myself generally happy with Cox's services as they're provided to me. My major gripe - nothing new - is price. $145/month for only Preferred internet and Advanced TV + Variety Pack. Having been a Time Warner subscriber before Cox, I can't say I'm surprised by this.

The one reoccurring good thing (and somewhat surprising) about Cox is their friendly Support Reps. I called Support about pretty much every sort of issue you could imagine. Every Rep I talked to was patient and anxious to help me solve my problem. Most of the time, I'd have a typical conversation with him/her as they assisted me. I've never experienced this with Reps from other companies (I'm looking at you AT&T!).

I'm writing this review now because I'm ending my Cox service soon and will be reviewing Verizon FiOS next!

member for 8.9 years, 30 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:
rulds

·Cox HSI

Hope you have a great Cox experience

This is what Cox does to a 65 year old man with End Stage Renal Desease and multiple life threatening problems.

They accuse us of our television, send out certified letters that they will not send out anymore tech support unless we go through there executive department.

They will not issue any credits or anymore credits.

»m.youtube.com/watch?v=kDZWeBdsflY

Would you go with Cox?

Would you put up with there lies?

Review by Lyrencropt See Profile

• Location: Gainesville,Alachua,FL
Good "Fast when it works, only HSI in town"
Bad "Twice in 4 years had overworked node"
Overall "When it works, it's ok, but not reliable long-term"

Cox has a very small presence in Florida, but it notably controls the city of Gainesville, where the University of Florida is located. It is the only high speed internet available at reasonable speeds/prices. The first year I was here, I spent the entire year getting anywhere from 1/5 down to 1/10 of my advertised speeds from the hours of 7 pm - 3 am, every night, unless it was a long holiday weekend (and everyone went home). The next two years were good, with reliable service, but now we're back to square one, with speeds going as low as 2 mbps on a 36 mbps connection. That's completely unacceptable, especially seeing how it's been going on for nearly a month now. At least we don't get many straight up disconnects? It's hard to list that as a positive when I'm getting 1/18 of my advertised speed, but it's about the only nice thing I have to say.

lodged 1 year ago

Comments:
Rob_

Did you get help

»Cox HSI

and message one of the techs on there.

What kind of modem are you using? Are you seeing any packet loss? Speed has been solid here as of lately.

Lyrencropt

join:2009-10-11
Gainesville, FL

Re: Did you get help

Using a Cisco DPC3825, same as we have been since we moved in a year ago. Had two techs come out and replace the modem, and talked to a tech here and several customer service reps on the phone. The response every time has been "Signal levels are good, the best we can do is send a tech/credit your account".

EDIT: And no, no packet loss or signal weakening of any kind. Just terrible speeds at night.

Review by adowns See Profile

• Location: Derby,Sedgwick,KS
Good "Fast"
Bad "Unreliable Signals"
Overall "If Fiber anything came into town, Cox would be out the window faster than I can count to 1-2-3."

I have used Cox HSI for almost 12 years. I joined when it was Road Runner and Cox Kansas leased internet from Time Warner. The service seems to have gotten worse over the past 2 years. At home I've had 2 new drops(which are buried) in 1 1/2 years per the advise of the tech. (They blame cracks) My signal is like a drunken driver all over the bandwidth highway. Tech support seems to think that it's the wiring in my house (all those outlets I don't use), but they are stumped when I tell them I have 1 drop straight to my modem, that it's brand new. A business I support has had 3 new drops in 2 years and plus countless (no really I lost count) how many times our phones and internet went offline due to cracks in the main line, cracks in my drop (which is buried), illegal connects, and last but certainly not least NOISE in the plant. Cox seems to have lost priority when it comes to offering RELIABLE service. Sure, the speeds are faster than Uverse, but it seems as Cox doesn't appreciate your business with semi-annual rate hikes. If any kind of Fiber ISP moves to town, you better believe I'm getting that service, even if it's more expensive. I need reliability and Cox's HFC plant is not that!

updated 1 year ago

Comments:
rulds

·Cox HSI

Cox blames the customer and does not own up

They will blame you, they will blame dog crap. They do not own up and will never own up. They threaten to never send out a tech.

»m.youtube.com/watch?v=kDZWeBdsflY

Review by intel1212 See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "Reliable, good tech support (Cox techs participate in forums here..)"
Bad "Really none, except my perception that the price is high -- no "
Overall "Reliable, fast -- seems to be better value then Embarq"

·VOIPO
UPDATE 7/11/2013:

Still using Cox HSI, no phone or TV services. Moved to new ASUS NT-66U router using standard ASUS firmware. Still great performance from Cox and my overall home network. I did downgrade my service from Premier to Preferred, going from $68 to $55. I constantly get ~30 Mb down, ~6-8 Mb up. That is plenty for me. Still think the price is on the high side, but again, no "real" competition in the LV/Henderson market (please, Centurylink users -- there is no comparison in speeds, period). The tech support on dslreports.com forums is outstanding. There are a couple of techs that monitor and answer questions.

*******************************************************************

UPDATE 1/16/2012:

I only use Cox services for IP (no phone or TV services). Moved to a Linksys router WRT54GS, running Tomato USB and also have a Motorola SB6120 modem. 2 major benefits of this move. 1) Faster download and upload speeds, and 2) much, much more stability in my Voip services -- IF there are some type of network issues (whereas before, I had to always reboot my Voip adapter). The stability of the Voip service I attribute to the Tomato USB OS on the router -- Highly recommend this version. Had a few connection/reconnect issues last spring, but tech support fast fast, quick, sent tech out and re-provisioned all cable connectors from my house to street -- solved problem. Highly suggest using dslreports forums to report/discuss issues you might see, excellent resource of information from all members here. Overall, happy with Cox IP services. Feel price for premier level is on the high side (and they just raised the price $1 from $63.99 to $64.99), but there is really no other competition in town for the speeds I am seeing.