Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by donurs See Profile

• Location: Irvine,Orange,CA
Good "Stable & reliable connection. Speeds regularly upgraded."
Bad "None."
Overall "One of the best."

Have been a continuous user of Cox Communication's services (Digital Suite) since 1998. They have made major strides in keeping up with technology changes and are a very dependable ISP. All services are extremely stable and customer service is awesome.

Comments:

Review by vraeden See Profile

• Location: Gainesville,Alachua,FL
Good "When it works properly, it's fast."
Bad "Lower Level Customer Support doesn't know computers and doesn't care"
Overall "Knock on neighbors door and ask to do a speedtest when you think you'll use the internet the most."

-----------------------------

Update 3: September 17th, 2013. Three years ago, I moved to Northwest Gainesville. After getting the wires replaced in the house, the speed was phenomenal...until this month. Now, I'm dealing with the exact same issues I was dealing with prior in the review. Low level tech support that doesn't know how a computer works...low speeds during peak hours, high speeds when I need to be asleep. Avoid if you can find something in your area. DO NOT SIGN A CONTRACT. They have started offering deals if you sign a 2 year agreement. I would recommend strongly against that given my overall experience.

----------------------------------------

Update 2: Back to an overloaded node. During peak times, can't pull down more than 1Mbps down when I should be getting closer to 12. The previous higher up I spoke with before no longer works there...so I don't have anyone on the inside to contact to get it fixed again. I do NOT recommend based on this frustrating experience. It used to matter to me because of gaming, now it matters to me for watching things on Hulu, etc.

Update: It took a very high up person reached through these forums to tell me the truth about my bad speeds. The problem seems to be fixed now due to work on their end. Turns out that the node I was on was seeing full utilization during peak hours...they added more capacity.

The phone support and in-home tech visits are currently terrible. The forum support from Cox and the support from the higher ups in Cox is superb. This same higher up is looking into improving the lower level support structure--I hope to update this review in the future with good news.

So, now I often get 20Mbps down during the day, and 8-12 down during the evening. 12Mbps down/ 1 Mbps up advertised package.

-------------------------------------------

I have the Premier 12Mbps down/1Mbps up package. The up speed is pretty consistent. But the down speed is only good when no one else in the complex is using the internet, typically the day time.

I'm living in an apartment complex with a lot of PhD students and their families. The neighborhood is flooded with wireless signals, many unlocked.

I can't seem to get the consistent speed problem fixed...the cable company knows it's a problem and just doesn't do anything about it. I've had this problem for at least 6 months and have had two techs come out to look at it, both with different stories. One claimed overloaded node, the next claimed bad tap. Obviously, I just want it fixed.

At my old apartment, I had the lower 7Mbps package. At the time I left, the speeds were consistently around that number, even at night when I play intense FPS games. That's why I think the service has potential. Just need competition in the neighborhood.

»www.speedtest.net/result/690350340.png

updated 1 year ago

Comments:
JohnW

join:2011-03-13
·Cox HSI

DOCSIS 3.0.. bonded channels..

Seems that your area serviced by Cox hasn't implemented DOCSIS 3.0 service or bonded channels yet. Also, make sure u have the proper modem or router to get it once it's available. Makes all the difference it makes the speed very consistent any time during the day or night I am on the preffered package in Roanoke VA which ads for 25M down/5 Up.. I am getting 32.5M/6.8M connection before the upgrade to DOCSIS 3.0 I had similar issues you are having but not that slow.
»www.speedtest.net/result/2971883095.png
vraeden

join:2007-06-21
Gainesville, FL
·Cox HSI

Re: DOCSIS 3.0.. bonded channels..

I have had DOCSIS 3.0 and bonding for the last three years. I have a SB6120. Yet, here we are...I think it's a combination of being in a saturated student market and Cox not keeping up with any kind of analysis of the local network...but that's just a wild guess on my part.

Anonguy

@cox.net

Re: DOCSIS 3.0.. bonded channels..

AN 8 channel D3 modem could help.

A moto 6180 or 6141 if you want to stay Motorola

Review by djatk See Profile

• Location: Ocala,Marion,FL
Good "Getting online was instant the day of install. I ordered before we moved in. Provided my own modem."
Bad "High variability in download speed, and generally far slower than "ultimate". Unexplained drop outs"
Overall "In semi-rural central Florida there are not many choices. Cox is reasonable but not super."

My monthly cost is for Cox High Speed Internet Ultimate and Cox Digital Telephone Essential. Alone, the HSI is $99.99

I provided my own Cisco DPC3010 modem (which I recently replaced due to thermal issues with the original). Cox HSI sees this box as "RSA3010".

In semi-rural central Florida there are not many choices. I can't say I'm unhappy because the service has been "on" with decent speeds until quite recently. I think my failed Cisco box was causing intermittent failures. It is too soon to know if the dropped connection is fixed. As with most cable systems, there is a pronounced effect on speed across the day, presumably due to load. In this area there are a lot of "snowbirds" - residents only in the winter, so summer speed is great!

I've been very pleased with Cox technical support who, once you get past the person with the script, are very knowledgable and helpful.

member for 1 year, 4 visits, last login: 301 days ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Basic Talk instead

I had the same plan for 99 per month. I switch my phone number to Basictalk for 10 per month. Basictalk is Vontage in a plain white box vontage service. It logs onto vontage's servers. I've had no issues with Basictalk that couldn't be solved with a basic unplug and plug back in power. Only had to do that once in 3 months.

I also called cox and ask them to slow my Internet down for a cheaper price. They said "How about we take 10 dollars off a month for the next 12 months instead". I agreed.

Review by GilbertMark See Profile

• Location: Gilbert,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Got an appointment quick with a fast install. Very reliable service!"
Bad "OBSCENE pricing. You can't unbundle without penalty."
Overall "We're leaving and headed down that DSL rabbit hole again with Century Link."

September 2013

CenturyLink arrived today to turn on the DSL and port our Cox phone number. The installer Luis was awesome and set up the equipment and a computer even though we hadn't selected this as an option since it cost money. My wife called Cox today to cancel and they asked her why. We've been loyal customers of theirs for 6 years and 5 months. Apparently that means nothing to Cox since they wouldn't give her a deal or try to keep our business whatsoever. Screw 'em! Bye. Our DSL speed is FASTER than the "premium" cable we had with Cox by 8Mbps. Guess they have been just sticking it to us all these years. I hope our experience with CenturyLink is a good one, I don't ever want to have to go back to you rip off artists.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------

August 2013

Times are tough. We got rid of our digital box a year prior for a reduction of $10 a month. Six months ago we cancelled TV for a savings of about $30 We currently have phone with unlimited nationwide minutes and premiere internet. We're still over $100 which is obscene for a phone line and internet. My wife called Cox and explained how we wanted a lower cost option. They were willing to remove the phone line and reduce our bill by $12....

So we signed up with Century Link as the only other real option here in Gilbert. The package there is $38 a month for phone (no nationwide or features) and 20 Mbps internet. We'll post a review on them later. It will be 15 days until they can turn the service on. We're porting our number.

March 2008

We moved to Gilbert from Goodyear. Cox has had maybe two outages lasting 30 minutes tops. We're very happy with our service and reliability.

We wish there was some way to unbundle their packages to save money. We pay an awful lot for phone, TV and internet. Every time we try to remove something they just tell us how they'll compensate by raising the prices on the remaining services we have.

April 2007

My wife and I just moved to the Phoenix area (Goodyear). We received an install date within a couple days of the moving truck dropping off our household goods. The installer arrived at the end of the appointment window, but at least he called ahead a couple hours to say when he would arrive (never had that happen before).

At the time we hadn't unpacked our modem yet so the installer set up the TV right away. We found our modem, called in the MAC address and were up and running within two minutes. We're getting good speeds up and down so we're happy.

member for 13.3 years, 1668 visits, last login: 310 days ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:
Rob_

Alternatives

Look into getting a Magic Jack if you need your number. Or, google voice can forward your number to your cell phone and, that's free.

Also, Century Link has higher latency than cable. They also have a 256 Gig CrAP
am not touching them with a 10 foot pole, if they go and Verizon comes in, hopefully, we can get FIOS.

Tons of options.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
·Clear Wireless

Re: Alternatives

DSL latency isn't going to be higher than cable and even in markets where it might be it won't be by much. My VZ DSL had 10ms latency, certainly good enough for anything. Caps may not matter as most people don't use 250GB/mo and let us not forget that Cox has caps too and is sending out nastygrams to people to break them.

Cox pricing is completely out of control, especially their phone service. Kudos to the reviewer for dumping Cox. The prices keep going up with nothing to show for it but a thinner wallet.
Nocchi rules.

Re: Alternatives

Actually, phone went from $59.00 to $39.99 which isn't bad, considering they give you the modem, etc..I'm not touching Centurylink with a 10 foot pole, most we can get is 1.5/256. If even that!

GilbertMark
join:2001-05-02
Gilbert, AZ

Subject

Thanks for the info on Magic Jack but we'll stick with a regular land line. I have never been a fan of internet based phone calls, the audio quality just doesn't cut it.

Our only big downloads are the occasional movie on iTunes (1 every other week), so we'll NEVER approach a 250 GB cap.
»hackThatPhone.com

Review by Cameron See Profile

• Location: Roanoke,Roanoke City,VA
Good "Internet"
Bad "tv tier"
Overall "went to dishnetwork for tv stayed for net"

·Dish Network
I like cox cable after many many posting they finally upgraded there internet to the 50 and 100 mbps which i am on the 25 mbps tier and paying 40 a month

I went back to dish network for tv, becuase I like the fact that an single router can support 2 tv's this something cox not figured out yet I dont know why

excuse the spelling

member for 1 year, 12 visits, last login: 350 days ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by BlankenG See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Fairfax,VA
Good "High speed - bundle of Phone, Internet and TV"
Bad "Cost - plan to switch phone to Google Voice"
Overall "Plan to let it cook for a while and researching methods to drop the cost"

·Verizon Online DSL
Used Verizon DSL for 13 years. FiOS never came to my neighborhood.

Left Verizon (painful exit due to email address confusion - they dropped my email with telling of the proper process), went to Cox on a Thursday. Cox stabilized on Tuesday and finally after a couple of more days it became very stable. This does not make sense to an individual (me) that has been using the Internet and systems for many years. While the Cox support was totally obnoxious, I think that they were busy cleaning up something. The field rep that came to my house was extremely good. The help desks were a waste of time.

Cox has still not proper configure my email account. I cannot log in! (not too bad I'm still using the Verizon account)

lodged 1 year ago

Comments:
JohnW

join:2011-03-13

web based email..

u do know there's lots of web based email options out there.. gmail, yahoo mail, etc etc.

Review by amungus See Profile

• Location: Manhattan,Riley,KS
Good "fastest available in area"
Bad "recent troubles with consistency"
Overall "usually very good"

·KCH Cable
Update - Sep. 5th 2013:

Back to Cox since around June 2013. The house had a rental modem/router combo unit (Cisco, I believe) and speeds were inconsistent, as was wireless stability. Replaced with a modem that I purchased, and new router. Speeds stable and consistent ever since. Wired connection was slightly better on the rental, but it's nice to own my own stuff, and I prefer to have a router that I can tinker with a little bit.

Currently on the "preferred" plan (25Mbps I believe) and speeds are consistent.
Their fastest plan is 100Mbps, I think. "Powerboost" allows for 188Mbps, so I have heard.

It's good to be back.

---

I've had Cox internet since 2002. When I first signed up, I was on the 3Mbps "preferred" package and would get 4.4Mbps most times. Since the upgrade to 4Mbps, I got 4 down, and 512kbps up, which was good.
At that address, they were great. Not only was the service good, their support was awesome. Any problems were solved quickly and by friendly people.
One day a line was snagged by a passing truck, and they had people out there fixing it that very same day, and double checking every point on the road. Techs were always friendly and took pride in their work, and for good reason.

At my new address, I signed back up with them, on the standard "preferred" service again. Things went smoothly, and speeds were consistent.
After about a month, I had to go to the "basic" 256kbps up/down for financial reasons. It worked, barely. I suffered through it, and was still able to surf web pages fairly well.

Recently, I opted for the "premier" package because of a promo offer for 3 months at $40.
I have yet to see 9/1 speeds. Upload has been mostly consistent, at 1 Mbps, but download speeds have been nothing short of horrible. Sometimes, in the early morning hours, I can see 5Mbps, but this is NOT what I am supposed to get.
After numerous calls, and troubleshooting, the issue is still unresolved in my area. The last tech mentioned that my modem might be bad, so I might try a new one. We'll see. From the forum talk, I gather that something bigger is to blame, so I can't say that the local folks are really at fault here yet.

Speaking of the modem, I went with one that they wanted to loan me. Instead they offered a very nice option that I did not know about at the time.
Monthly payments on it. For 4 months, I paid it off about $14 at a time. This was very nice since I didn't want to drive down to a local store and plunk down however much all at once.

Since these troubles, I must say I'm slightly disappointed at the level of service though. Phone techs have been good and bad, but none of this is their fault, and really they can't do a whole lot other than dispatch a tech. Sure they tested my signals etc. but were rather unhelpful the last time I called...
The service tech who tested everything was about my age; young adult. Very knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. He informed me that there was nothing really wrong on my end, and that there wasn't much he could really do.

If the speeds return to 'normal' I'll be a happy camper, but for now, I'd rather have a reliable 4Mbps than this flaky "premier" service which has been horrible.
Download speeds in the evening hours have varied from 2.5Mbps down, to 512kbps down. Very inconsistent to say the least.

Still a good isp for the area, and the people are great. At this point, my patience is running thin, so I may yet consider DSL even though I'd rather not have to get a phone service with that. Either way, as long as the service is consistent, it really is unbeatable around here, so if you go with them, and they're sailing along smoothly, you should be just fine.

UPDATE - 2-27-06
The premier rocks. Finally got the 9/1 package, and can sometimes get 11Mbps!!! My internet goes to '11'!!! Still a lot slower at nights on occasion, but that's because there are tons of college students in my area, and that's just how cable works sometimes. Hey, no complaints here after things got updated. It has become more consistent, and that's all that matters right now.

UPDATE - 12-1-06

Back to "preferred" service for the past several months. Speeds have been very consistent, and I've only had a couple of very short outages that never really affected me. Upload is 512Kbps, Download is now 6Mbps as per a recent upgrade. I've seen speeds nearing 7Mbps at times, but it's usually more consistently around what they advertise at 6Mbps, which is plenty fast for me. The bump for me is reason enough to stay on the preferred instead of spending any more money on "premium" services, though the premium is pretty fast!

Overall, Cox is still doing pretty good w/their internet service around here, and the speed increase is a nice bonus. As long as it's consistent, I'm happy.

------------

UPDATE 7-2-07

Well I've been "upgraded" to whatever the latest speeds are now 6-7Mbps I think, and things are going well for the most part.

No recent disconnects or REALLY bad speed drops like before. Things have just been, well, stable for the most part.

Every once in awhile I do a speed test, and have got some incredible "boost" speeds of up to 22Mbps! ..Granted, those don't last very long, but sustained download speeds have been up to 1.5Mega BYTES per sec! ...Avg. is more like anything from 800KB/sec to 1.2MB/sec.

They must've changed some things at their office, because things have been mostly stable.

Only weirdness is that my IP address has changed a couple times, once it was to some address that was in/near Louisiana if I recall...

Still a fair deal around here as long as you can get a stable link. DSL is nowhere close to their speeds though it is usually a bit more reliable in the long run.

member for 9.8 years, 1484 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by rulds See Profile

• Location: San Marcos,San Diego,CA
Good "FAST! Superior then ATT U Verse at 5MBPS"
Bad "Involuntary disconnect"
Overall "Will put up with it until they fix but will not pay until then."

·DSL EXTREME
Please do not take this as a rant. Cox is a wonderful company, the building was just just activated on the 22nd of April.

Tech told me our cable is to far is why we are having so much difficulty.

The came back out and put a drop amp and some Mocca's on the line which improved the signal just a tad.

Cox is scheduled to be back out here Today to do some improvements , we will be patient and wait.

So far I am happy with what they CAN provide me. Its awesome to have 35/12 service.

It's awesome to have decent TV.

They just got to fix the host box so we can finally not call them.

I will update...

Update 07/05/2013

I have not had the opportunity to update for a while but there is allot going on in the negative with cox.

»youtu.be/kDZWeBdsflY

Click on the above YouTube channel I will upload more. Clearly this box was working at one time as there is time on the front which is correct. This box failed and my dvr network works on the box so it's not the mocca network. Cox just does to get the reason why we have all these issues nor do I have the time to take the opportunity to prove them wrong accept for posting on these boards.

We pay 216 dollars for all our substandard services and we get nothing but a band aid. We are giving cox plenty of opportunity to fix. And have be patient with them.

Update.

Well we have a downed box again , will not respond to remote so I called Cox, Laura Eddingtom a appointment was scheduled for a tech to replace box... It was canceled by who well Laura they said. I said we'll WTF? They said I had to call her for a truck roll. I said we'll I tried she does not answer her emails. I said please replace my box. They say we cannot, I said we'll come pick up the boxes and cancel the whole home they transfer me to retaintions which wanted to offer me 50 bucks credit. I said we'll Laura is just going to shoot down the credit. The call ended with no resolution. 1 day later I get a certified letter that Cox will disconnect my service on Aug 22 which is not even 30 days notice.... They said because of my frequent pattern of calls, vexing and using foul language I am disrupting there business ????

I talked to Silvia Dunbar which said they rather have paying customers that do not complain then ones that do.. This means they do not care about quality just there bottom line.

I apologized for the foul language but they still want to not service me. I asked if my parents can sign up. She said she is making my apartment not serviceable so no. I asked why she says she does not want them calling to. WoW so this company does not know how to handle there customers they rather cancel a whistle blower then fix it.

I pay 216 a month get that.. That is a car payment for cable tv , Internet, phone and I am VIP??? Really Cox, really?

So back to the local regulatory commission , I cannot wait I am not stopping until these two individuals understand that the customer is what pays there checks..

updated 1 year ago

Comments:
rulds

·Cox HSI

Update

Well the installers came back out but these were 3rd party installers.

1. Drop Amplifier was removed
2. Host box replaced.
3. Signal was at -7dpmv from -19dpmv

Huge improvement and they were like WTF are the in house installers doing? Why did they amp this? Why was we on a wrong tap?

I could not stop laughing my BUTT off. They even upgraded my host to 1 TERABYTE DVR. The firmware was upgraded as well.

They were extremely professional, knew WTF they were doing and they were not even in house SCARY!

Cox is DA BOMB they just neeed to work on there in house guys.

Update 4/27/2013

We lost internet connection , so I called and they said we are having signal issues AGAIN!!

I am still being patient with them, there new in the building... However its getting old calling them. Seeming I am being a whiner but hey $190 for this is a little much.

They said they could have someone Sunday but I am at church then so I asked if they can call a FSO..

·Cox HSI

Speed test after phone call

»www.speedtest.net/iphone/531308330.png

Not looking good here. We got signal loss at there modem. They will be out from 8- 10 Monday. So we are knocking on some pretty hard oak wood on service here.
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

$190 Really?

Just curious but how is it that you are paying them so much? $190? Isn't that just a bit high?

Re: $190 Really?

Well you figure it's a whole home system so they are charging per box and one dvr. Plus Internet, plus phone and yeah it's way high but who else can I get the same from we cannot have dish.

·Cox HSI

Another video of there box crapping out

»m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl5KEkmq9CQ

2 edits

Cox responds.

update
Well I basically had a 1 hour intelligent conversation with Call Center Operations Laura.

She said that what she ment by the letter is that when I call there will be no support or trucks rolled without her authorization. She still wants to be involved with my issues. She claims that the employees I k ow can get fired for devolging the account notes which she said she can look everyone up to see who accessed the account and basically they can be termed.

Well I wish her good luck with that these people are in very high positions there it just some rep. Cox Laura goes on with more concern of there's because I mentioned I know what Sylvia looks like well folks if you search Sylvia Dunbar on the Internet well you will find some nice photos on her link in account. Not to mention she was at a location in 2007. I explained I am a 316 pound guy with a heart for people and would never hurt anyone and I don't have any record as such.

Well the call was productive she said she is going to send out her group to investigate service issues so we will see. I told her if she takes care of this I would take down her letter that just went viral on another site and work with them in a positive manner.

We will see if she completes her promise and credits are issued accordingly. Folks this is not a rant its all truth and I tell you I have had some negative xperiences that most would not tolerate.

I do have a meeting with UCANN sometime tomorrow regarding issues with Cox. UCANN has seen many of the issues and is wondering and wanting to talk. So I got a watch dog group ready to battle should cox move unto a negative approach.

Folks records can be court ordered and if there is missing stuff in those records then there can be some issues. We will play a wait and see with Cox. We will give Laure her due process out of courtesy. Wednesday is there target so by Friday if not communication has been made we will proceed another way.

I forgot to mention the letter says Ms Keith and the last time I checked my private area for any malpractice I am Mr Keith , Yep I still carry my male organs, and oh if I called there call center and did not cooperate and she said she recorded me then umm she would have known I am a male. I guess it's my first name that throws these invalids off and makes them out to be such a lair LOL.

Also if you look at the address umm I think we never would have a part 500 Lol and then on the certified mail she puts the correct Address , wow not trying to offend but being in Operations I think they need a High School diploma at least ROTFLMAO.

Thanks Dslreports for all you do to help customers voice there valid ratings.

UCANN Agreed

I have a unwavering UCANN and CPUC support regarding Cox they cannot deny, delay service under there own terms of service. So last night I had nothing but issues with the Internet now let me out there inconsistent issues

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/595627833

So the outcome 8 hours later well it was restored. We have a truck roll schedule today and there going to call me a liar but little do they know I got print outs of all there inconsistent drop outs and they advertise constant speeds better then DSL and I am going to hold them to there promise or discount my package.

Cox is just how it sounds and just what they are, they chicken around there service. When they are it here its crap, when the come well it works why? We think they visit the tap first or they are playing with tools before the knock on the door. We will see I get some good footage this time.

I will update UCANN tomarrow

StevenP88

join:2010-11-01
Springfield, MO
·CableOne

Re: UCANN Agreed

Well I am gonna put my 2 cents in here, calling so much over service issues will get you terminated with them, cox is not the only company that has terminated customers for excessive calls, sprint did this 2 years ago and terminated people for calling in to much, I have Cable One and i can call in as much as I want and they don't care, also have AT&T and can call in as much as I want, but of course both of these accounts are business account for my business, but then again, I never have problem with them.. I can see Cox standing on this, it does cost them money to run the call center and it does cost money to provide support.. Yes they aren't perfect, but they have a right to refuse service

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR

Re: UCANN Agreed

dish network does it as well.

Review by br0ken_69 See Profile

• Location: Baton Rouge,East Baton Rouge,LA
Good "EXTREMELY FAST data trsnsfers"
Bad "Seems to be a bit spotty during bad weather, althought this could be because it is a rather fresh install."
Overall "Great value"

I have live in Baton Rouge all of my life and and always considered Cox my go-to ISP. I've always been a heavy gamer as well as downloader of many, many larges files. Well AT&T U-Verse came in and offered an internet package of 24Mbps/3Mbps. Well this was the fastest package available for a while, even thought I NEVER received over 21Mbps for my downstream regardless of trying speed test, downloads, etc. I almost almost got the 3Mbps upload though. Well I recently found out that Cox offers a plan that is 150Mbps/20Mbps. I understand this type of speed isn't generally designed to be maxed out by one machine but there are several computers, tables, gaming consoles, as well as smart phones in the house, all of which use Wi-Fi. The fastest I have gotten one a single device was approximately 85Mbps down and about 28Mps up. This got me way more excited that it should have, but what can I say, i'm a geek! lol. Anyhow, between their TV and DVR service and very very few issues with their internet, I would recommend Cox to any friends in the area. You just cannot come close to these speeds with any other residential connection with Eatel Fiber or even AT&T U-Verse. A friend of mine in Ascension parish has Eatel and I am a former U-Verse user, so I can definitely say that Cox is better in every way based on my own personal comparisons. If AT&T would up their internet speed packages, this very well may have been a different conversation but, as of now, 24Mbps/3Mbps, just is NOT cutting it for my needs. Also, keep in mind, Cox offers 150/20Mbps as a RESIDENTIAL connection so there won't be any extra fees involved as it isn't a business class connection.

One last bonus for Cox is their "Speed Boost" or whatever the crap it is called. My 150/20 connection is capable of 188/25. Cox's "Speed Boost" gives the transfer cap a certain percentage increase for a certain number a seconds. The same applies for am upload except the duration it should stay at 20Mbps instead of going to 25-30Mbps for a few seconds. Overall, Cox is a great ISP. I will not be tricked into switching ISPs again just because they offer a package faster than what I currently have because Cox has proven to be reliable and to regularly increase their packages speeds. I think I will be with a Cox customer for life!

member for 13.4 years, 159 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago

Comments:

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA

EBR Cox cable review

Sounds like you're a satisfied Cox customer. I'm curious as to which of their offered plans you're describing, whether or not you're using a Cox-supplied modem, and if so, which brand/model it is.

thanks in advance.

Review by bswarm See Profile

• Location: Santee,San Diego,CA
Good "Faster than DSL when it works"
Bad "Constant dropouts especially late afternoons and weekends"
Overall "I hope Google Fiber-optic comes to town soon"

I switched from ATT DSL to Cox HSI about a year ago. The speed is up to spec's, but the connection dropouts are about 5 times a day to 15 times a day on afternoons and weekends. Numerous support requests and only getting generic answers. Upstream power levels are 47 dBmV to 51dBmV and disconnects above 51dBmV.

Update:
The Cox Tech showed up and said the signal was bad (from the pole lead-in at the house) They were the out next day and made repairs at several places up on the poles on my street, the signal levels are finally "nominal" and almost perfect.

Downstream SNR 36dB (was at best 34db before)
Downstream Power Levels 0 dBmV to -2 dBmV (was -12dBmV to -13dBmV)
Upstream Power Levels 41 dBmV to 43 dBmV (was 47dBmV to 51dBmV+)
Good enough.

It took at least 5 back and forth communications with Cox, and a forum post and bad review here to get things done. Really Cox? I wasn't about to let another Cox tech come in my house after the last time when they only replaced the cable ends (on the brand new cable I installed) charged me $60 and said it should be better, it wasn't.
Thanks to KipAtCox for getting the ball rolling.

Comments:
rulds

1 recommendation

Dude I hear you loud and clear

Give them hell bro... Call them and say you want credits. They should give them to you. ,auberges we can join forces here bro PM me of you like. I feel your pain.

Forget the calling and get some help here: »Cox HSI

bswarm

join:2005-07-28
Santee, CA

1 recommendation

Re: Dude I hear you loud and clear

I've already posted on the Cox HSI CA forum. »[CA] Cox HSI Dropouts/Disconnects San Diego East County
One of the Cox Tech's responded to the post and got things rolling.
I hate it when Cox treats their customers like they are idiots, some of us do have an education and know a bit about electronics. I used to custom tune 2 way C.B. radio antenna's for as close to a 1:1 SWR match for optimum performance, as well as other mods to increase power, reception, channels, etc. I even took an MIT course in electronics just for fun, pretty intense course! Learned stuff I didn't know doing this kind of work for the last 30+ years.
I'll post back here and on the forum post what happens....

Re: Dude I hear you loud and clear

Now you know why I avoid calling them. Their level 1 tiers leaves something to be desired.

·Cox HSI
The squeaky wheel always gets the grease.

Cox will try to avoid calling it there problem and charge you $15 to $30 bucks for rolling that truck. I had there $3.99 protection plan and they still charged me. I had all of them credited but still I had to waste undesired amounts of time to get Cox to own up.

There techs were questioning if I knew things. They were using jargon like there was to much tilt from the tap and though I did not understand. When I told them to filter it they said well its still within specification.

What gets me is there executive people that out restrictions on my account such as no more credit, no more truck rolls. The FCC ate them alive on that one.

Until we get a better service provider we are stuck in this monopoly and bull crap.
bswarm

join:2005-07-28
Santee, CA

Re: Dude I hear you loud and clear

Its been resolved, but I still wish Goggle would put Fiber-Optic Internet in the area. It sucks only having limited choices for high speed internet. Off topic slightly, I had AT&T's DSL service, but had to call them once per year to come out and fix bad connections at the pole. That got old fast, and on top of that, there was only level 2 DSL available, not enough bandwidth available to get level 3. And, their U-verse with Internet and TV package lacks enough bandwidth for watching Hi-Def TV and surfing/downloading at the same time. One or the other (or both) crap out. Oh well, its better than 56k dial up.