Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by parputt See Profile

• Location: New Iberia,Iberia,LA
Good "Fast and stable."
Bad "None yet."
Overall "No disconnects like I was having with AT&T"

·AT&T Southeast
Had AT&T (Bellsouth) for years. Started having disconnect issues when I moved into a new home several years ago. Finally got tired of AT&T run around. Canceled my service, drove to Cox's office, got my home install kit and was up and running in under 1hr. from canceling my AT&T account. Too early into the game to really give a accurate review, but I have been up and running solid for over a week now. Very satisfied customer at this point.

10-22-10 Over the last few weeks I started to have some dropped signal issues. Guy came out today and found a bad wire inside and a bad splitter outside. Inside wire was inaccessible, but he did everything else in his power to get my problem rectified. I will change the inside wire and they will come back out and put some connections on the ends for me. Never got service like that out of AT&T. Very satisfied COX HSI customer here.

10-22-11 Been a year now with COX and everything has been perfect. No dropped connections of any kind. Very glad I switched to COX.

7-26-13 Still loving COX. Had some remodeling done to the house recently and ran all new cable. Very reasonable price to do the work which included two drops. I will take COX over ATT all day long.

member for 12.6 years, 4216 visits, last login: 225 days ago

Comments:

Review by Farcry84 See Profile

• Location: Wichita,Sedgwick,KS
Good "ask for a cox tech and they'll send one instead of one contracted out"
Bad "have terrible download speed"
Overall "there better then att out here"

I had really bad experience for 2 years with COX HSI Kansas. I constantly had dropped connections and outages and really slow speeds.I called tech support more times then i have fingers.I finally asked for an actual tech from cox themselves other than a third party contractor and the tech noticed what our problem was right away and i haven't had any drops since. download speeds are still terrible but i can't complain for a steady connection for over 6 months now. Customer service is alright they put up with my complaining and did as i asked which is a bonus.the originally supplied some scientific atlantic cable interface so i went out and bought a surfboard 6121 a year ago.

member for 1 year, 11 visits, last login: 12 days ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by BigRooster See Profile

• Location: Goleta,Santa Barbara,CA
Good "Speed + Courteous Support Reps"
Bad "Expensive + TV Picture quality not that great"
Overall "Internet is recommended; TV not so much"

I've been with Cox for just a little over 3 years. Initial install went semi-smoothly. Semi because tech couldn't get internet to work until I pointed out to him that perhaps it was because the Ethernet cable going from modem to router wasn't plugged in all the way. Not a big deal.

I've subscribed to both TV and internet services from Cox for 90% of the 3 years (I've had internet with them the entire time).

Internet Pros:

Decent speeds. I have Preferred which is 18mbit/2mbit. I can always hit those speeds no matter time, day, or month of the year. As many in the So Cal Cox forum have been complaining about since beginning of 2013; Cox hasn't rolled out any upgrades here yet. This hasn't bothered me. I'd prefer a higher upload but can't complain (well, I can - about price - but that's further down this review).

Connection has been *fairly* stable. I count 3 times in 3 years when my internet service was down for more than 4 hours. Perhaps another 3 or 4 times when service was down for an hour or less. Definitely not rock solid but I pay for residential service.

Internet Cons:

This isn't truly a con but of course, as many people subscribing to Cox have mentioned, you'll get an E-mail from Cox Tech Support if you go over your monthly bandwidth allotment. The good thing is, while I've received my fair share of said e-mails, Cox has never called, disconnected, or otherwise "punished" me for blowing quota. I found that, in my market at least, if I download less than 40GB per day then I likely won't get the e-mail from Support about overages. That's based on maybe 2 months of extreme bandwidth overages in 3 years. Take this observation with a grain of salt.

TV Pros:

Many channels offered. There're literally so many I had a hard time choosing what to watch. After, a year, though, anybody learns what he/she likes and will stop paying attention to channels that offer crap; as is the case with me.

I had a DVR for the first 6 months of my tv service. It acted like it should and never failed me (unlike Time Warner - 3 DVRs in 2 years). Afterward, I got a CableCard from Cox and used my PC as a media center; pretty awesome!

TV Cons:

Picture quality on quite of a few channels isn't that great. Compared to other providers (Dish and FiOS) ABC HD, for example, looks washed out and has some odd artifacts sometimes. NBC HD looks decent enough until there's a lot of movement.. which results in heavy pixelation. CBS HD is OK (not bad.. but also not good enough to be considered decent) because while the video quality is technically good.. it also suffers from odd artifacts much like ABC HD. In all of the examples above, I'm sure it has something to do with local affiliates and possibly the video being somewhat compressed. It's hard for me to provide a good critique since Cox flags all "premium" channels as copy once and I cannot edit a stream to look at it more closely. Therefore, I have no idea if the premiums suffer similar issues (I do see pixelation on my computer screen).

Overall:

I find myself generally happy with Cox's services as they're provided to me. My major gripe - nothing new - is price. $145/month for only Preferred internet and Advanced TV + Variety Pack. Having been a Time Warner subscriber before Cox, I can't say I'm surprised by this.

The one reoccurring good thing (and somewhat surprising) about Cox is their friendly Support Reps. I called Support about pretty much every sort of issue you could imagine. Every Rep I talked to was patient and anxious to help me solve my problem. Most of the time, I'd have a typical conversation with him/her as they assisted me. I've never experienced this with Reps from other companies (I'm looking at you AT&T!).

I'm writing this review now because I'm ending my Cox service soon and will be reviewing Verizon FiOS next!

member for 8.9 years, 30 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:
rulds

join:2011-07-30
·DSL EXTREME
·Cox HSI

Hope you have a great Cox experience

This is what Cox does to a 65 year old man with End Stage Renal Desease and multiple life threatening problems.

They accuse us of our television, send out certified letters that they will not send out anymore tech support unless we go through there executive department.

They will not issue any credits or anymore credits.

»m.youtube.com/watch?v=kDZWeBdsflY

Would you go with Cox?

Would you put up with there lies?

Review by Lyrencropt See Profile

• Location: Gainesville,Alachua,FL
Good "Fast when it works, only HSI in town"
Bad "Twice in 4 years had overworked node"
Overall "When it works, it's ok, but not reliable long-term"

Cox has a very small presence in Florida, but it notably controls the city of Gainesville, where the University of Florida is located. It is the only high speed internet available at reasonable speeds/prices. The first year I was here, I spent the entire year getting anywhere from 1/5 down to 1/10 of my advertised speeds from the hours of 7 pm - 3 am, every night, unless it was a long holiday weekend (and everyone went home). The next two years were good, with reliable service, but now we're back to square one, with speeds going as low as 2 mbps on a 36 mbps connection. That's completely unacceptable, especially seeing how it's been going on for nearly a month now. At least we don't get many straight up disconnects? It's hard to list that as a positive when I'm getting 1/18 of my advertised speed, but it's about the only nice thing I have to say.

lodged 1 year ago

Comments:
Rob_
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Did you get help

»Cox HSI

and message one of the techs on there.

What kind of modem are you using? Are you seeing any packet loss? Speed has been solid here as of lately.

-Rob
Lyrencropt

join:2009-10-11
Gainesville, FL

Re: Did you get help

Using a Cisco DPC3825, same as we have been since we moved in a year ago. Had two techs come out and replace the modem, and talked to a tech here and several customer service reps on the phone. The response every time has been "Signal levels are good, the best we can do is send a tech/credit your account".

EDIT: And no, no packet loss or signal weakening of any kind. Just terrible speeds at night.

Review by adowns See Profile

• Location: Derby,Sedgwick,KS
Good "Fast"
Bad "Unreliable Signals"
Overall "If Fiber anything came into town, Cox would be out the window faster than I can count to 1-2-3."

I have used Cox HSI for almost 12 years. I joined when it was Road Runner and Cox Kansas leased internet from Time Warner. The service seems to have gotten worse over the past 2 years. At home I've had 2 new drops(which are buried) in 1 1/2 years per the advise of the tech. (They blame cracks) My signal is like a drunken driver all over the bandwidth highway. Tech support seems to think that it's the wiring in my house (all those outlets I don't use), but they are stumped when I tell them I have 1 drop straight to my modem, that it's brand new. A business I support has had 3 new drops in 2 years and plus countless (no really I lost count) how many times our phones and internet went offline due to cracks in the main line, cracks in my drop (which is buried), illegal connects, and last but certainly not least NOISE in the plant. Cox seems to have lost priority when it comes to offering RELIABLE service. Sure, the speeds are faster than Uverse, but it seems as Cox doesn't appreciate your business with semi-annual rate hikes. If any kind of Fiber ISP moves to town, you better believe I'm getting that service, even if it's more expensive. I need reliability and Cox's HFC plant is not that!

updated 1 year ago

Comments:
rulds

join:2011-07-30
·DSL EXTREME
·Cox HSI

Cox blames the customer and does not own up

They will blame you, they will blame dog crap. They do not own up and will never own up. They threaten to never send out a tech.

»m.youtube.com/watch?v=kDZWeBdsflY

Review by intel1212 See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "Reliable, good tech support (Cox techs participate in forums here..)"
Bad "Really none, except my perception that the price is high -- no "
Overall "Reliable, fast -- seems to be better value then Embarq"

·VOIPO
UPDATE 7/11/2013:

Still using Cox HSI, no phone or TV services. Moved to new ASUS NT-66U router using standard ASUS firmware. Still great performance from Cox and my overall home network. I did downgrade my service from Premier to Preferred, going from $68 to $55. I constantly get ~30 Mb down, ~6-8 Mb up. That is plenty for me. Still think the price is on the high side, but again, no "real" competition in the LV/Henderson market (please, Centurylink users -- there is no comparison in speeds, period). The tech support on dslreports.com forums is outstanding. There are a couple of techs that monitor and answer questions.

*******************************************************************

UPDATE 1/16/2012:

I only use Cox services for IP (no phone or TV services). Moved to a Linksys router WRT54GS, running Tomato USB and also have a Motorola SB6120 modem. 2 major benefits of this move. 1) Faster download and upload speeds, and 2) much, much more stability in my Voip services -- IF there are some type of network issues (whereas before, I had to always reboot my Voip adapter). The stability of the Voip service I attribute to the Tomato USB OS on the router -- Highly recommend this version. Had a few connection/reconnect issues last spring, but tech support fast fast, quick, sent tech out and re-provisioned all cable connectors from my house to street -- solved problem. Highly suggest using dslreports forums to report/discuss issues you might see, excellent resource of information from all members here. Overall, happy with Cox IP services. Feel price for premier level is on the high side (and they just raised the price $1 from $63.99 to $64.99), but there is really no other competition in town for the speeds I am seeing.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by KlubMarcus See Profile

• Location: Norfolk,Norfolk City,VA
Good "Connected the day the free self-install kit arrived"
Bad "Customer service, technicians, and management are morons!"
Overall "Find another company, Cox managed to disconnect and piss off a customer who had working service, updating auto bill pay hard!"

·Verizon Online DSL
I'm finally off Cox! I own a house now and made the switch to Verizon DSL, no FIOS in this area. I don't regret it a bit. It's slower than Cox HSI, but far more reliable. Oh yeah, Cox is now $40/mo versus $35 when I first signed on.

It's a few years later and at another location Cox is the only broadband ISP available. Speeds are OK during the day but slows down after work hours when people come home. But their customer service is still lousy. Their website doesn't let you update automatic billing all the time. You can't call in to update your automatic billing all the time. When you do get through, the wait times are very long and not all the representatives have enough access to make changes! So you have to wait again for a supervisor. Geez, what a struggle to make sure that THEY GET PAID. They must wonder why after several years of service of/on I never signed up for any Cox bundles or partner deals. If they can't even handle the high-speed internet part, then why should I trust them with anything else? They also have more competitors coming into the area like Verizon so I'll drop them in a heartbeat just to get better customer service.

Old review below...

We ordered Cox HSI after seeing a TV ad and we were looking for an ISP because we just moved to the area. My wife called the number, put in the order, the install kit arrived on schedule and I hooked it up. It worked! But the first Cox technicians had left a work order at our door saying we needed to call them for a re-schedule while we were out. I thought that was weird since the service already works, we even used the username/password that the phone sales people gave us which the setup CD asked for.

My wife calls in to re-schedule and has to leave town for training. She asks that I stay for the technician appointment a few days later. The technician arrives expecting to do an install. I point to the computer and working cable modem and he's puzzled, tells me there's a bill for me to pay, and he goes to work outside (probably at the cable box). My wife is not tech savvy and women tend to get ripped off (another example would be mechanics adding extra labor/parts) so I wanted to know exactly what the bill was for.

I call Cox's phone number on the original work order left at our door and the moron on the phone refused to tell me what the bill was for. I had to argue with her for about an hour without resolution. I don't have my wife's SS#, but my wife is out of town, and they refuse to even call her to verify the info I was piling on them. I told the moron at the phone to contact the technician who was already on-site to come back to my door and show me the work order. She said she can't do that w/o the SS#... idiots! He's already there and they were able to contact him by radio and send him to the next appointment. So the tech left w/o giving me the status of the work order or showing me the paperwork on what I was supposed to pay/sign for! He was already there. If they were worried about verifying ID, maybe the technician can check for them. No, Cox technicians and contractors don't ask for ID or verify SS#'s, but they are OK with over-the-phone. What morons!

Now Cox HSI service is completely out. After an hour, I was finally able to get a supervisor. He's a robot who was muttering the same cover-up line about not having a SS# so he can't do anything. I told him again that the service was already working before I called in, before the second technician arrived, before I spoke with him. So Cox employees made the situation worse! I already had service, I didn't know what the technician was doing there, the technician thought he was there for an install (even though they sent a self-install kit that worked), the customer service monkey couldn't tell me what the bill was, and the supervisor can't do anything... and they still expected me to pay the bill from the tech! The supervisor told me that his manager was out of the office to resolve the issue that the customer flunkie couldn't resolve, that the technician couldn't resolve, that he couldn't resolve, and will call me back within 24-48 hours. That's BS because I'm already disconnected.

Hours later, after my wife got of training in another state, she was able to call me and Cox. Guess what? They were CLOSED for the day! What kind of morons run a 24/7 ISP that closes after 6pm! Then number they left us had an automatic recording to call back the next day. Even when you follow Cox procedure, you still get screwed.

My advice is to shop for another ISP. Even if you think Cox service is good, they'll screw it up. At the very least, avoid contact with any Cox employees or contractors. If it works, don't let Cox HSI break it. BTW, their pricing isn't competitive and there are intermittent drops in service. Not such a big issue if I wasn't disconnected completely.

I just moved to a new neighborhood where Cox was the only broadband ISP available. I was using Sprint beforehand for the years between updating this review, I recommend Sprint DSL over Cox. Anyway, back to Cox. Just get the Value package. You won't see the difference anyway because PowerBoost is like VTEC on a Honduh, pretty useless for the VAST majority of the time and completely useless when you need real speed instead of being faked out by compression.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Baseless

It isn't Cox's fault you didn't have the information to verify the account. If they handed you a bill why not just read it?
Needleinthha

join:2009-11-30

bad review

Its pretty standard that any company needs to verify the identity of the account holder before they can give out any info...its not their fault you didn't have the info to verify the account...
also you can easily update the autopayment by logging into their website, it takes 2 minutes....
you sound like a very unpleasant person

• Location: San Clemente,Orange,CA

Canceling Cox after many years. I woke up to the fact that they were charging
me $200+ per month for cable, phone and internet. Shame on me for letting
it go so long. Cox promised a rate of $96 per month for the same service. Gave
me that rate for 2 months and then bounced it up to $147 per month. I don't need
to do business with this crew. Im trying DISH. Hope it works.

(review was emailed from domain dlblaw.net)
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:
nmlobo

join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA

Huh?

You wrote that your cox bill is over $200 per-month, Cox offered you a plan for $96 a month for two months and then it jumped to $146 a month. How much are really paying?

Depending on what level of TV and internet service you receive, $200 a month for tv, internet, and phone service would not seem out of line. Do you expect to receive internet and phone from Dish?

Review by mcglry See Profile

• Location: Chandler,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Great Speed 50-60 Mbps Down - 20 Mbps Up (Premium Package - Default)"
Bad "a little pricy but seems good for the Speed"
Overall "Fast and Reliable"

A lot of other people seem to complain about price and speed in the Phoenix Area. I have had cox for over 6 years now, I've only had about 4 outages since. Cox's leased equipment is not the greatest (DOCSIS 2 - Mainly), so you should definitely buy your own equipment preferably DOCSIS 3. Cox has just recently upgraded speeds to 50/20 on the default package. I've been getting about 60 MBPS Down and about 20 MBPS Up. Overall a Good service to have in the Phoenix Area.

$160 is for all Cable, Internet, and Home Phone. The cost of the Internet is about $75.

member for 1 year, 7 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Bayoutechla See Profile

• Location: New Orleans,Jefferson,LA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Very reliable"
Bad "Pricing is high but better value than competition, especially at higher levels"
Overall "very happy with service"

Had Cox HSI at Preferred level along with other services since day one of moving into my recently purchased house. Got service established right after the previous people moved out, no tech visit needed. Used to have land-phone; dropped it when I ported the number over to a wireless carrier. Have always had strong signal, but that's probably due more to my geographical area. Speed tests have always been right at the rated speed with Powerboost; now they are a little higher since the install of a DPC3010 (previously on an SB5120).

Outages have been extremely seldom and have never lasted more than a few hours over the past five years.

(Contract term is listed because I was able to obtain a discount for 12 months on the internet service during the past year.) Monthly price for service has creeped up over the years, as I'm sure most ISP's have.

member for 1 year, 220 visits, last login: a few hours ago