Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by dlarkin_dc See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Fairfax,VA
Good "Internet speed close to rated, free McAfee Suite for 3 PCs."
Bad "Personable but ineffective tech support, poor DTV quality (dropped)"
Overall "Okay for Internet."

·VOIPO
UPDATE 6/2/13

Been seeing Netflix Super HD on our devices and (after Neflix fixed some glitches)that has been working fine.

Also, about that free McAfee software... I've dropped it for AVG after McAfee let bad virus in and I found four others after rebuilding my OS.

UPDATE 4/11/13

Just received a price hike on the internet, an extra $4 / month. I'm still on Preferred listed as 15/2 (SpeedTest.net usually tests 17-20/3 over the last few years) and I've never had bandwidth issues, even streaming Vudu HDX.

UPDATE 1/31/2011

Dropped all television from my plan today and keeping the internet service only.

Why? Two reasons:
(1.) Picture/Sound Quality - I was fed up with the picture and sound quality issues due to compression and distribution problems. Shows from streamed or by antenna have crisp and clear picture and sound quality.
(2.) "57 channels and nothing on" Syndrome. Well, maybe 300 plus channels, but we watch a handful of shows a week. All but two are available OTA, the others are streamed online free or 99c an episode.

So that I guess that takes me to a 3rd reason...
(3) I'll be cutting $82 from my bill, a cost I don't need for my television viewing habits.

No regrets. In fact, I'm excited to be seeing shows clean and clear again, for free.

UPDATE 11/8/2010

A month after finally getting a real body (a tech with a face, name and cell#) assigned to the ongoing PQ issues... nothing has been improved. In four weeks only one frequency/channel has been addressed and so far without improvement. All other channels are still experiencing minor but annoying problems.

As I now know how Cox address these issues, on a per channel/frequency basis, I am keeping a log of the channel/frequencies and PQ issues when they appear... six regular offenders and counting. l'll be a lot older and greyer before this is resolved at the rate Cox gets things done. My tech told me he escalated internally and suddenly things happened. That it had to get to that stage is a sad reflection on Cox field service/response in my area.

Simply put, there appears to be a significant distribution problem in my neighborhood for HD DTV services from Cox.

I expect I'll be switching to FiOS, or a combination of OTA/ClearQAM/IPtv in the next couple of months to get better PQ and save money to boot!

The internet has never been to problematic, so I'll probably keep that.

UPDATE 9/26/2010

It's been a few weeks since the last tech visit, so far ABC/NBC/Fox and major network stations are always fine but I am seeing infrequent snow/microblocks on every other channel at any time of the day or week. The Wed to Sat picture quality degrading is just as bad but non-network stations, BBC/SyFy/WDC are horrible. The way-out-wacky jitter seems to have gone too, better for my VOIP.

I expect I'm seeing a band-aid solution to local newtork load/congestion. Or maybe the change is the neighbors migrating to fiber

I've shaved my ratings back to reflect the current situation.

UPDATE 9/15/2010

On the internet I am seeing the same performance now for months, and it is acceptable, with a few caveats. Occasionally the DNS goes offline, I'm getting outrageous jitter so it's affecting my VOIP.

Worse still my DTV service is prone to breakups and freeze-ups on Wednesday through Saturday, 9am to midnight. The tech support has gotten very poor, a tech came out to my house said everything was perfect, but snipped off and remade every connection and then blamed the model of my STB. He said Cox didn't have any replacements but he'd get one for me when he could. So what... leaving me with unwatchable TV four days out of seven? Tech support on the phone will only reset by STB, and that does no good.

The service I'm paying for has gone from, "Eh, but I can live with it." in December to, "I am so ready to switch to FIOS." in the last three months.

UPDATE 3/26/2010

Seems like the spotty performance is gone, and I'm now bonding 3 channels. Whenever I test I'm usually seeing data rates about 11/3 (the plan is up to 12/5) so it's carrying Skype and VOIP without any problems.

Calls to Cox... I still get some great phone staff on the phone, clear talking, helpful, great attitude, but the grouches are taking over 2:1, IME.
Call wait times have been getting longer too.

I have added digital cable TV to my plan 3 months ago. That review is still in progress... oh, so not smooth sailing.

UPDATE 1/22/2010

In the new year I upgraded my modem to Surfboard 6120 and I'm seeing two channels bonded. Initially I saw snappier loading of web pages and large downloads are quicker. But,over the few weeks I have been seeing the up/downstream signal levels and SNRs drift about, sometimes close to acceptable limits. Sometimes I get nothing when a page should load and spotty performance. I am keeping an eye on this.

UPDATE December 2009

Having called in to verify the costs, to compare to FiOS, for digital TV Cox offered same cost as I was at gateway, 2 tiers and a HD DVR. I snapped up that deal and took the plunge. So far the picture quality has varied wildly and the DVR performance is barely adequate. I'll post a full digtial television review when I'm done figuring it all out.

ORIGINAL REVIEW

Been a COX HSI customer for close to six years... I picked up a modem/service pack (a Motorola Surfboard and 50ft of co-axial cable) at Circuit City. I just hooked it up at home, phoned Cox to activate the service and I've been online almost non-stop since - we've only had two short outages!

FYI - We're on our second Surfboard now, they do have a lifespan.

The COX support people are friendly but the tech support is best when guided by a geek (me, in this case) who knows what needs to be fixed otherwise you'll be chasing down blind alleys, but all tech support has gone that way it seems.

I think, when I started using COX HSI, the speeds were 5/2. COX always upgraded the speeds for consumers as the higher speeds became available. The currently cited speeds are up to 12/5 and that is what we usually see using Speedtest.net

The McAfee VirusScan Suite that you can get free as COX HSI subscriber is worth about $50 in software and $20/yr in virus scan updates.

I get the HSI bundled with the cable analog TV service from COX and the cost of the combination is begining to be be uncompetitive, at $103/mo. For a little more I can get Verizon Extreme HD and 50/20.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Tinger See Profile

• Location: Las Vegas,Clark,NV
Good "Generally I get very fast internet both up and down."
Bad "Peering with Youtube SUCKS! too many service calls for issues on their end."
Overall "Both their technical support and their contracted "trucks" are generally clueless with their own issues."

I have the 20/5 and get far better speed than that most of the time. When this internet works it is great. However, I have had 4 service calls over the past 2 years and each time they were not warranted. Modems replaced, complete rewire of house, etc. I spent so much time trying to convince their tech support (note NOT customer support) about a routing issue, peering problems, etc. but they refuse to accept that a "customer" may actually know more than they do. They are so frustrating to deal with on a technical level I have generally given up. I just come to DSLreports.com and read to find out what is going on and wait for someone to say Cox is aware and fixing or just to stupid or unwilling to admit problems (like the current Youtube peering bandwidth problems in the SW US).

I will stick with them because the other option is Centurylink and they are HORRIBLE.

member for 13 years, 1093 visits, last login: a few hours ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by DataDork See Profile

• Location: Irvine,Orange,CA
Good "fast fast fast / low low low pings"
Bad "nothing!"
Overall "100 mbits is sweet"

initial package @ 50/5.. free speed bump a couple months into the service and now im at 100/20.

bottom line. LOVE IT and its very stable.

lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by sfogliatelle See Profile

• Location: Baton Rouge,East Baton Rouge,LA
Good "no apparent outages that I'm aware of; Much, much better than DSL!"
Bad "too soon to tell. certainly no issues with speeds thus-far."
Overall "I'm OK with the current cost of the service."

Am sharing the cost of this service with my sister, whose house it is. We had AT&T DSL previously, and as you might imagine the difference is obvious.

According to Cox, the internet service we're subscribed to is "Preferred" which, if you're patient enough to sift through their site, is rated at 25MB down. The internet part of the monthly bill included a $6.99 charge for rental of the router/modem.

Since the internet was bundled with TV and phone, install involved more than a modem, which, it turns out, is a 'gateway' (modem+router) Cisco DPC3825. It was nice that it has 4 ethernet ports, just like the next-to-worthless 2Wire it replaced.

We had DirecTV before. Besides the typical learning curve of a new remote and menu interface, one big plus is that on demand is just that: instantaneous. The not-so-good part is that Cox' HBO and Showtime do not include previously cancelled series like Deadwood, Rome, The Wire, Weeds etc, much less their respective entire libraries as did DirecTV. Oh well.

I've been doing periodic speed tests from four different sites, in various areas of the house. Since calling their tech support early on to change manually wireless channels, I've been consistently getting faster than 25 down and 18+ up. I take a slight hit on speed, and the signal strength is almost halved while wireless in my room, but by slight I mean extremely minor.

Just discovered the account has a 250GB ceiling.

member for 12.5 years, 3539 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by gkeawe See Profile

• Location: Norman,Cleveland,OK
Good "Good"

COX cable in Oklahoma is outstanding, atleast in Norman, Oklahoma. The speeds are very good, I'm still waiting for COX to allow residential users a symmetrical connection, I prefer to have upload and download speeds closer together. I currently have the Ultimate tier and although the dowload speeds are impressive, the upload speeds are very low. PLEASE GIVE MY A SYMMETRICAL CONNETION COX !!

Comments:

Review by skeechan See Profile

• Location: Laguna Hills,Orange,CA
Good "Decent throughput, caps are currently unenforced, excellent latency when service is working properly"
Bad "Mediocre speeds for the price, periods of unacceptably high latency that require a truck roll, expensive"
Overall "Better than dialup, but increasingly expensive for what you get"

·Clear Wireless
I have had Cox HSI since the early @Home days, about late 1998 when Orange County, CA was one of the first markets to get cable HSI.

PRESALES: I saw an add in the newspaper for cable Internet and their new Digital Television and signed up.

ORDERING: The order was easy. The price then was $30/mo for service and $15 for the CDLP modem rental. The modem was a Motorola Cybersurfr and could be purchased for $400.

INSTALL: The install was 3 days later and two technicians came out. Back then there were techs who specialized in the modem installs and others for digital TV. Now all of the techs seem to do both. Even though my house has RG59, it was fine. They ran RG6 from the outlet to the modem. Since then I've had the modem moved to a different room and the tech ran a separate RG6 line directly from the J-box to the modem.

RELIABILITY: Over these 14 years the service has gone down but VERY rarely. I would call it extremely reliable. Latency has also been good over the years. To local speed test service in Los Angeles and San Diego I'm seeing less than 10ms, pretty darn good.

TECH SUPPORT: Tech support was never a problem. Issues that cropped up or calling in for tech support to update the MACID for a new modem install were always handled quickly.

SERVICES: The original service was provided by the now defunct @Home and was static IP 3000/256kbps, screaming fast in a day of dialup, 100X faster. Now offerings are typical for a cable provider, multiple tiers starting at around $25-$30 for 3Mb service going up to $100/mo for 50Mb service. Over the years the price has crept up a bit but so have speeds. Now triple bonding DOCSIS 3 provides 25000/2000kbps with "power boost" to about 70000/5000kbps with my plan at $65/mo. Cox has caps but they don't charge for overages and will likely send out a nastygram if you go over a bunch of times. I don't know of anyone who has had their service cancelled for abuse. I got an abuse letter once but it was 12 years ago during the @Home days. I've gone over my Cox caps tons of times and never got an abuse letter.

PRICE: Overall the price is pretty fair with the 25Mb tier going for $65/mo. There are cheaper services around. Cox has caps but as mentioned earlier, there are no overage fees, at least not currently.

VALUE: For all 14 years I think I've been getting good value from Cox for HSI and don't plan on changing unless they start charging for the overages or take substantial price increases without substantial speed increases.

RECOMMENDED: Like ALL services, your mileage will vary and just because service on my street is great doesn't mean service in say CT or AZ is great or even great in the next town. Talk to neighbors, read local reviews, browse the forums for posts about service in your area. Take Cox up on any cancelable promotions and avoid entering in any contracts until you have a chance to really try out the service.

Plan: Cox Ultimate 50/5 DOCSIS 3
Cap: 400GB/mo unenforced
Equipment: Customer owned Motorola SB6180
Bonding: 4 CH Down / 1 CH Up

UPDATE 23.5.2012: Cox has seen fit to "fix" the unlimited power boost people were getting here. Where just a few weeks ago I was seeing 70+Mb with power boost, now I hit the wall at around 32Mb, which isn't much faster than the 25Mb tier I'm paying for so I may as well not have power boost at all. Powerboost should be at least 2X whatever the tier speed is to make any difference, otherwise it isn't worth having. I'm not going to knock off any stars for this change since Cox always advertised PB being this speed, and never claimed I would get 50+Mb with PB but darn it these austerity measures!

UPDATE - Upgraded to 50/5 service, $100/mo. Same modem. Powerboost is about 60Mbps.

UPDATE - 20.12.2012 Cox changed bonding from 3/1 to 4/1

UPDATE - 21.5.2013 Dropping ratings for services and value since my market still hasn't been upgraded while others have been upgraded for several months but of course they still charge the same money.

UPDATE - 7.8.2013 Downgrading ratings once again. I am seeing very little value in this service any more. Here we are now in August...still no tier upgrades despite other markets getting them some 6 months ago. Prices keep going up and I have nothing to show for it other than a thinner wallet. Thanks for nothin Cox.

UPDATE 15.10.2013 A latency problem as returned making browsing painful. Another truck roll scheduled. With prices going up and quality going down, I am increasingly disappointed with Cox.

UPDATE 17.10.2013 Truck roll got the latency issue fixed, the field tech did an excellent job as always. It is just unfortunate that after so many years (18 years total, about 14 with DCATV and HSI) with virtually ZERO issues and I mean none, I have had several since the Spring, not just HSI, but also numerous CATV related problems. The only service that has remained trouble free has been the legacy VoCable telephone service, negated by its high price.

Plan: Cox Ultimate 50/5 DOCSIS 3
Cap: 400GB/mo unenforced
Equipment: Customer owned Motorola SB6180
Bonding: 8/4
Monthly: $100 for HSI
Total monthly fee with CATV, 4 premiums/VoCable Telephone, 2 cablecard rentals $305

Comments:

skeechan

Photos

Top photo, typical POWERBOOSTED speed. After about 10 seconds speeds drop to my tier of 25Mb down and 2Mb up. The next photo is the classic CDLP Cybersurfr modem that was originally deployed with Cox in the late 1990's. It was a beast!
JayriAvieock

join:2007-01-28
Choctaw, OK

Cap

Reason why you aren't contacted about going over your cap, because you aren't adversely affecting everyone else's service.

·Clear Wireless

Lastest speed test

Cox fixes PB, oh well
Recently Cox has "fixed" their Powerboost config. Previously, Powerboost would be channel saturation and with my 3 bonded channels meant close to 75Mb most of the time. Now the modem has a config file for about 31Mb plus overhead.

Same for the upstream. Previously I would see 4-5Mb and now 2-3Mb. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

AA169|170

Update

skeechan

Review by scottct1 See Profile

• Location: Newington,Hartford,CT
Good "Been Mostly Reliable over the past 12 years!"
Bad "Silly Bandwidth Cap"
Overall "I feel that its a great value for what your getting"

We have been with Cox Internet for over 12 years and over those 12 years we have only had minor issues. We did get knocked offline for a week when that freak snowstorm hit a few years ago. Other then that it's been smooth sailing.

We recently upgraded our service from the Cox Premiere Plan to the Cox Ultimate Plan not to get the higher speeds but because we got the letter we were over the bandwidth cap. My son makes a lot of Minecraft Videos for Youtube which uses a lot of bandwidth, plus I have been having work done on my house so I have been watching my home security cameras from work a lot.

Upgrading to The Ultimate Package was a pain in the butt as they wanted to charge me $60 to send a tech out. I told them no way was I paying $60 for a tech to come out and tell me my levels are fine then leave. So COX canceled my order. I came here to BBR and bitched and the good folks from COX helped me so I was not charged for the Tech Call. And yes the TWO techs got to my house and asked what was wrong and I told them I wanted to upgrade to the Ultimate Plan, they asked me what my current plan was and I told them the Premiere plan, and they said that there was no need for a tech to come out for that as if my modem was good enough for Premiere then i was good to go to Ultimate. They made a call and had my modem re-provisioned and soon I was getting over 60 Mbps.

(Note if your looking to upgrade for the faster speeds, I should note that other then running speed tests you would never know you were on a 60Mbps connection as the pages and everything still loads as fast as when I had the 30 Mbps service. The reason for this is most sites are capped so your not going to get faster speeds from them.)

One thing that upsets me about going to Ultimate, is I notice that other areas COX serves have faster server for their Ultimate Tier, for example Rhode Island's speed is 100 Mbps, Las Vegas top speed is 150 Mbps. Yet we are all paying the same thing for the ultimate tier. Come on COX and show Connecticut some love.

Another thing I find strange is COX offers its Ultimate Subscribers UNLIMITED offsite backup service, but its not UNLIMITED as storage to COX's Offsite Backup service is counted against your bandwidth cap. If you try using their backup service you will quickly find yourself going over this cap.

Every year of so we look around for new Internet provider options, but no one in our area comes close in matching the services we get from COX Internet. We had Uverse come to our house the other day telling us that Fiber Optics was now available in my Neighborhood and I could not enjoy speeds of up to 20MB down... when I told him I had COX's 50 MB service he knew I would be downgrading if I moved.

So overall I am very happy with COX. I would like to see a boost of the speeds to match other areas since we are paying the same thing and would love for COX to increase the bandwidth cap as well. We are starting to enjoy streaming video and movies, and this use is only going to pick up in the future.

Update - 10/1/2013

Today COX upgraded the speeds in the Connecticut area, my speeds have gone from 60 Mbps to 177 Mbps. Very NICE!

Comments:
Rob_
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

The Silly Bandwidth CrAP

That's there for one thing, to protect their video income, which is stupid. I'd like to see data CrAPs become illegal in both the phone/cable/mobile industry. Your paying for internet, not for a restriction

-Rob

Review by KahunaNui See Profile

• Location: Fayetteville,Washington,AR
Good "Amazing Customer Service - Speed and Consistency (Stability) are pretty much excellent"
Bad "Like any broadband, when it's down you're toast. They all should offer a dialup option as part of the package for down times. "
Overall "Best provider we've come across yet (and we've been through quite a few in a LOT of different locals). "

We've been all over with all kinds of ISPs and so far, they've been the best.
Every time we've dealt with TS they've been extremely responsive and fixed whatever is wrong.
Never experienced what we have with so many others ("Must be user error...") They actually
admit when something is amiss! Amazing.

One thing that could make them even better if they offered a dialup option when Internet is down.
Realize this is not the norm, and mainly DSL providers have done this in the past, but nevertheless
like any other broadband, when you are down you are TOAST.

Another thing that would be nice is to get CREDIT for never going over their set bandwidth maximum!
HOW ABOUT ROLLOVER on Gigabytes NOT USED?!

The only thing I can comment on installation-wise, sometime afterward when connection mysteriously
slowed to a crawl, they took the time and resources to correct internal [wiring] problems!
That was all I was present for, and found that to be amazing as well. Now the majority of the time
the connection ROCKS.

Comments:

Review by donurs See Profile

• Location: Irvine,Orange,CA
Good "Stable & reliable connection. Speeds regularly upgraded."
Bad "None."
Overall "One of the best."

Have been a continuous user of Cox Communication's services (Digital Suite) since 1998. They have made major strides in keeping up with technology changes and are a very dependable ISP. All services are extremely stable and customer service is awesome.

Comments:

Review by vraeden See Profile

• Location: Gainesville,Alachua,FL
Good "When it works properly, it's fast."
Bad "Lower Level Customer Support doesn't know computers and doesn't care"
Overall "Knock on neighbors door and ask to do a speedtest when you think you'll use the internet the most."

-----------------------------

Update 3: September 17th, 2013. Three years ago, I moved to Northwest Gainesville. After getting the wires replaced in the house, the speed was phenomenal...until this month. Now, I'm dealing with the exact same issues I was dealing with prior in the review. Low level tech support that doesn't know how a computer works...low speeds during peak hours, high speeds when I need to be asleep. Avoid if you can find something in your area. DO NOT SIGN A CONTRACT. They have started offering deals if you sign a 2 year agreement. I would recommend strongly against that given my overall experience.

----------------------------------------

Update 2: Back to an overloaded node. During peak times, can't pull down more than 1Mbps down when I should be getting closer to 12. The previous higher up I spoke with before no longer works there...so I don't have anyone on the inside to contact to get it fixed again. I do NOT recommend based on this frustrating experience. It used to matter to me because of gaming, now it matters to me for watching things on Hulu, etc.

Update: It took a very high up person reached through these forums to tell me the truth about my bad speeds. The problem seems to be fixed now due to work on their end. Turns out that the node I was on was seeing full utilization during peak hours...they added more capacity.

The phone support and in-home tech visits are currently terrible. The forum support from Cox and the support from the higher ups in Cox is superb. This same higher up is looking into improving the lower level support structure--I hope to update this review in the future with good news.

So, now I often get 20Mbps down during the day, and 8-12 down during the evening. 12Mbps down/ 1 Mbps up advertised package.

-------------------------------------------

I have the Premier 12Mbps down/1Mbps up package. The up speed is pretty consistent. But the down speed is only good when no one else in the complex is using the internet, typically the day time.

I'm living in an apartment complex with a lot of PhD students and their families. The neighborhood is flooded with wireless signals, many unlocked.

I can't seem to get the consistent speed problem fixed...the cable company knows it's a problem and just doesn't do anything about it. I've had this problem for at least 6 months and have had two techs come out to look at it, both with different stories. One claimed overloaded node, the next claimed bad tap. Obviously, I just want it fixed.

At my old apartment, I had the lower 7Mbps package. At the time I left, the speeds were consistently around that number, even at night when I play intense FPS games. That's why I think the service has potential. Just need competition in the neighborhood.

»www.speedtest.net/result/690350340.png

member for 7.5 years, 528 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:
JohnW

join:2011-03-13
·Cox HSI

DOCSIS 3.0.. bonded channels..

Seems that your area serviced by Cox hasn't implemented DOCSIS 3.0 service or bonded channels yet. Also, make sure u have the proper modem or router to get it once it's available. Makes all the difference it makes the speed very consistent any time during the day or night I am on the preffered package in Roanoke VA which ads for 25M down/5 Up.. I am getting 32.5M/6.8M connection before the upgrade to DOCSIS 3.0 I had similar issues you are having but not that slow.
»www.speedtest.net/result/2971883095.png
vraeden

join:2007-06-21
Gainesville, FL
·Cox HSI

Re: DOCSIS 3.0.. bonded channels..

I have had DOCSIS 3.0 and bonding for the last three years. I have a SB6120. Yet, here we are...I think it's a combination of being in a saturated student market and Cox not keeping up with any kind of analysis of the local network...but that's just a wild guess on my part.

Anonguy

@cox.net

Re: DOCSIS 3.0.. bonded channels..

AN 8 channel D3 modem could help.

A moto 6180 or 6141 if you want to stay Motorola