Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by blakej06 See Profile

• Location: Westwego,Jefferson,LA
Good "While on Promotion Very Good Speeds For Price"
Bad "Not as fast as other markets for the same price (ultimate) tier"
Overall "better than uverse in my area,faster speeds for better price"

i have had cox since about 2003 and they have increased speeds over the years , before docsis 3.0 there were congestion issues now generally i get my speed 50/5 about 98 % of the time.

uptime during hurricanes (up to a month of outages) are horrible but usually it is very reliable.

some of the other cox markets have 150/20 Mbps download/upload. when your in a market with competition you can get discounts and promotions eaisly. I do not have phone or cable service i prefer landline.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by quaker See Profile

• Location: Rocky River,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Nice speed"
Bad "tv service needs to be ala carte"
Overall "great internet service"

11/2/08

just moved into apt next to me all i got to say about moving the service it was painful. First off i told them to turn it on in new place on the 1st which did happen modem fired up and everything was fine. then i get home that night and find out that modem is not connect to internet, i get a install cox page loading up when opening browser ( which errored out so i have to call tech support to get it fixed). so i call tech support man oh man i wanted to kill the automated service worst ever. so i started going through the automated service its saying it can fix it so I'm like OK,start going through the step and come to find out all its doing is very basic stuff which doesn't help me in the first place. so i try to talk to agent press 0 and the automated service is like lets try one more thing keep pressing 0 finally gets me in line for an agent. First off i pay 90 bux a month not to talk to an automated service so give me a choice not throw me into it and say its going to fix my issue. finally get to an agent she told me it my modem still had my old cfg and modem didn't like that so she got the new cfg into the modem hang up and come to realize that i cant get over 50kb/s so i call up again try my best to skip over the automated service get to an agent and he tells me that he has to send a tech out cause of high ping and signal noise.

Ok you would think when they turn on the service for a customer they would test and make sure that the service is up to par on there end. why should moving a service be this difficult when it was working fine earlier in the day and now you tell me you have to come out to fix it. come on now take the extra steps!

also to added about the service routing is horrible box's that are at a datacenter in the US and have decent pings and can barely pull 150kb/s ( doesnt matter the time of day).

3/5/09

cox is getting better added the hd channels to tv cox service really enjoy that, just sucks that you cant just get that with out the sd package or have something like basic channels on sd and hdonly that would be really nice. they keep adding more more hd channels more the better i dont even watch sd channels any more. the internet part is yet to be said. well ask for help in forum and the tech had teh engineer call me and supposly there splitting the node so hopeful this fix the speed issues i have

3/22/09

noticed that me bill went up $45 for internet jeez and still havent split the node i dont know how they can justify that

6/2/09

they finally split the node much much better speeds. also had to cancel there hd service and downgrade to limited basic cause hd was way to expensive $60 for basic and hd. cox needs to work on there tv package most people i know just want hd only channel and not have to have 2 other packages that you dont need( basic,digital service). there customer service has been decent.

06/01/10

Been all quiet on on problem with my service. Speeds during peak times are kinda poor but i can deal with it. Price could be much cheaper... added basic cable service and there trying to push people over to the digital service which is way too expensive and free HD come on now its not free lol it included in the price. i pay around $100 for cable and internet.

11/01/2011

Moved my service and also replaced modem with a docsis 3 modem which is the best thing to have. The moving of service from the internet needs some work,but all in all everything is working and up to speed.

08/04/2012

Internet service is still great, i'm 4x4 on up/dn channel bonding.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2102024632.png

I called a while back to cancel my TV service because it was getting too expensive and was crappy TV programming ( repeats all the time and channels i never watch). When i was talking to the rep they told me about the Cox TV Economy, you don't get any of the sports channels or any of the tuner network channels (tbs,tnt, etc), or bravo ( which my wife wish we still had). Then i got the HD reciever and enjoy all the hd channels i'm able to get. Being that we mainly watch truTV, E!, and history channel most of the time it was a good fit plus reduce my cable bill. I went from $120 to $90.

3/29/2013

I have since remove all tv services in favor of netflix. Tv service we would never watch and the stuff we would was a repeat or just didn't feel like sitting through a crap load of commercials to see a 30 minute program. I also have upgraded my internet package to the next level Premier. So i now pay $65 for internet and $8 for netflix and get to watch what ever i want at any time i want.

member for 12.3 years, 2535 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:
JohnW

I must have got lucky..

Here in Roanoke Va I moved to a duplex from nearby Salem (that had comcrap) and got the cox build own bundle at the time (dec 2010) the deal was premier TV/Preferred HSI for 89 bucks for 2 yrs! of course with fees brought this up near 99. since then due to Cox having to increase services it is 110.00 still not bad for 250+ channels/70+ HD/On demand and 12+down/1up internet even though my connection much faster than this most of the time 20+ down. when my 1 more year is up will be time to re-negotiate unless the plans offered are worse at the time. I do agree A la carte should be offered but I really don't think it's technically feasible for this to occur people asked for al la carte for few yrs now. Overall I have a great deal.

quaker
join:2001-12-27
Rocky River, OH
·Cox HSI

Re: I must have got lucky..

Just look at the music industry thinking that online sales of music online wouldn't work look at them now. Given it took Apple to twist their arms but still. Really the only time i watch tv is if its a sporting event, i rather watch the delayed showing of my favorite episode online so i don't have to waste more of my life watching stupid commercials that mean nothing to me. Why does a cable line up have to consist of 5 religious channels?

join:2011-03-13

Re: I must have got lucky..

@ quaker. I do agree with u about al la carte and cable companies do need to step up with the idea the technology should be there it's 2011 near 2012! I know some cable cos infrastrcture are so old it can't be done in some areas.

Review by chip89 See Profile

• Location: Independence,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Speed , cost"
Overall "Good value for money , great service"

I got the bundle with premier Internet (up to 24 Mbps ) and Cable Tv. It took three days between the order and the Install The tech did everything I asked He even Got me a couple free months of free Dvr service. Speeds have been increased many times From the speed I first got. I have had only one outage For a couple of hours in the time of a year. I pay 120 a month for this and cable tv. It is a very good value for my money.

member for 1.7 years, 773 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by PinkyThePig See Profile

• Location: Tempe,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Very reliable"
Bad "Tech support is not very knowledgeable"
Overall "Great company"

So far I have had Cox internet at 3 different homes and in all cases the internet was very reliable. The worst I have ever had in the case of down time is 3 hours max and at that point it self corrected and everything went back to normal. Regarding tech support... They seem to be able to help with basic things but anything advanced and good luck getting any answers that are consistent across several calls.

UPDATE: Moved to a new apartment complex about 3 months ago, was able to get everything setup when scheduled and have had no problems (Besides my router which is another story and isn't Cox's fault) changed services from my 15DL connection at previous locations to 25DL/5UL here and so far everything has been going smoothly including consistently above normal speed levels. Additionally when I had moved I had checked prices for century link (The only other provider) and their plans were the same price for half of the speed. So it really was a no brainer.

UPDATE 3/19/13: Still in the same complex but have changed my plan. I tried the weird cheaper TV they had for awhile (1-100 but missing big networks like spike, espn, scifi etc.) and never really liked it or watched it. Not to mention the cable box had massive overheating problems. Canceled that and got the ultimate tier internet as they had double most tiers but tripled ultimate (It has 150/20 IIRC up from 50/5) for 100 a month. Fantastic deal and has been working perfectly without issues since the update. Only compalint I have about it is no one told me that there would be a 50$ tech visit when I called in to order it. Installer was prompt and actually arrived at my place before I did and was willing to wait (ran late at work) so major props to him about that.

I lowered presales information by 1 point 4 -> 3 and upped value for money by 1 point 4 -> 5.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by cadillact See Profile

• Location: Chula Vista,San Diego,CA
Good "Cox did a major network upgrade in my area in the end of 2012"
Bad "As of today not really anything. Some people might say price but not me."
Overall "Well its either cox or 24 Mbit DSL."

Well I got a IM from the "system" here to do a review of my ISP.

So its going to be based on 9 years with Cox.

Last 2 years in the apartment-----> No connection problems. Didn't test bandwith

Two years in the condo------> No connection problems. Didn't test bandwith

Five years in the house------> First 4 years no problem really. Did test bandwith

Now we come to the last year. After the last wildfire last year, that is when it started. It was slow only during peak hours. (I have now 15/2 premiere) I have had 2 techs out here and the problem is not at my house. Finally after some talk with an UBER specialist, it was "some" equipment along the route. Speed was good enough again in May-08 during peak hours. I have NEVER had any problems off peak hours. Before they changed my speed from 12/1 to 15/2 my upload speed when tested, was never off more than 30 kb always around 1.08 Mbit.
I have asked if my node is or was congested and one tech says it is and another says it's not.

Today, 27 July-08 when I tested my bandwith during peak hours. I was all over the place from 3 to 17 and everything in between. It is now July-28 at 1am and speed is back to fast mode again. The funny thing is that I have asked SEVERAL Cox techs this "What speed am I supposed to have during peak hours" Still have not got a straight answer from them.

So how long is peak hours?
Well it varies, the peak last longer during the weekend, usually to midnight in general. During weekdays it usually to between 10:00 to 11:00PM.

Speed during peak, this is for late July-08
Speedwise it varies, today was the worst I have seen for a while. But I usually get around 7-8 Mbit or better during peak. Enough for me to not call cox at least.

I still think the node is congested but I'm going to wait to see if it gets worse or better during peak. I need more tests before I decide to call Cox or not. I will also see later on when I play the more bandwith hungry games if I lag or not.

Feb-2013:

Well Cox has upgraded their network in my area so since oct-nov 2012 it has been superb. NO slowdowns, not even during peak hours. It took some time for Cox to do it.(a couple of years). But hey better late then never.

Comments:

Review by ahrimanishnu5 See Profile

• Location: Baton Rouge,East Baton Rouge,LA
Good "50Mbps connection often gets up to 75Mbps. They offer student discounts."
Bad "50Mbps connection is more often 20Mbps. They raise their rates a few dollars at least once a year w/o much notice."
Overall "I would drop for FioS service if it were avaliable. No real alternative presently at my current address."

Cox service is a bit of a mixed bag. They wanted to charge a $100 install fee when I called to establish service. After three phone calls and proving that I was capable of reading a MAC address off the modem, they relented. Online customer service is hit and miss. The only tech I've interacted with at the house (Don) was excellent.

Comments:

Review by djdanska See Profile

• Location: San Diego,San Diego,CA
Good "Fast speedtests, awesome upload, good latency"
Bad "Fast speeds don't apply to actual internet browsing/video streaming"
Overall "Eh, it's not at&t, i guess that's something"

Have cox in san diego installed. Awesome speedtests

Problem being that you can't watch hulu, netflix, or even use facebook without constant page stalls, timeouts, and buffering over and over again.

Run a speedtest and get awesome speeds. What's the use if i can't upload a pic on facebook or watch netflix?

Comments:

royphil345
join:2004-12-10
Lakewood, OH

re

I would give them a call. You could be having an issue with poor signal quality or packet loss. Maybe a bad modem... Might also be a networking problem if you're using a router. Directly connecting a computer to the modem would be a good test to rule that out... Generally, you shouldn't be having the issues you're having with speed tests like that. Something's wrong somewhere.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
·Verizon Broadban..
·Clear Wireless

Re: re

I did call em up and they say the signals are all ok, i tried a different modem, etc.. They pretty much told me (and lectured me) to use their on demand only. wtf?

The netflix issues makes sense, they where in the process of upgrading to superHD from them, and it did work flawlessly today.

Hulu still has issues.
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

royphil345
join:2004-12-10
Lakewood, OH

3 edits

Re: re

I'm glad your Netflix is working better. Have you tried any online tests for packet loss? Any at all is considered unacceptable and they would work towards fixing that if discovered.

I work at home on a network and internet service has to be about perfect. My co-workers and I do have occasional problems with our ISPs, but they eventually get issues solved 99% of the time. Sometimes, they need a little diagnostic help... The techs in the Cox forum here seem very good. Maybe they could take a more in depth look at your line stats and find the problem. Good luck!

The phone support people mean well, but they're not as well trained as you'd think in many cases. Let's just say I should know...

Review by drquincy See Profile

• Location: Las Vegas,Clark,NV
Good "Fast and reliable"
Bad "Not known so far"

Just got a 150 Mbps "Ultimate" with COX. Still trying to figure out the bugs as I am not getting the max yet. I was told that there are some issues in my area and they are working on it. So far I hit 93 Mbps, which is fast but not yet what it supposed to be. While "up to" 150 is just that, and I understand that may not happen every day, I think it should be somewhere in 130-140 to be fair. We'll see what they come up with, but even now I can't complain. Will report back when (if) the issue is solved.

Comments:
nickphx

join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

Make sure your router has a gigabit wan port, gigabit lan ports and you have a gigabit nic in your machines connected to the router..
drquincy

join:2003-04-04
Las Vegas, NV

Re: ..

I have Netgear DOCSIS 3 Gateway, it has 4 gig ports and I have gig card on my PC as well ... still not getting there and I don't think that I ever will. From what I've read the 150/20 is not exactly that but I'll see what they can do. Still, 93 Mbps is not that bad.
nickphx

join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ

Re: ..

Weird. I've hit 180 easily. Could just be speed test sites are crap. I don't rate speeds based on speedtest though.

Chrisg

@cox.net
Make sure your modem can do more than 4 streams. I had a Sb6120 while doc 3.0 it could only do 4 streams and I could get about 120mbps. Replaced it with SB6141 and can hit close to 195 in the dead of the night. Of course I cant be 100% sure that is your problem.

Review by WiseOldBear See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Speed"
Bad "Lately all is good"
Overall "Well worth the monthly cost"

·Charter
Updated January 30, 2013:

Cox HSI continues to be the best internet service in Phoenix. Now have the second highest level of speed and it generally gives very fast downloads if the supplying system is also fast. The stability has been outstanding with no service losses of note. Like all cable companies Cox continues to slide prices higher and higher. As long as I can afford them I will stay with them. However, if an equally fast and stable service were to become available at a significantly lower price, I might jump ship.

Updated March 17, 2011:

Cox continues to deliver fast dependable internet service in my central Phoenix location. I upgraded to a SB6120 modem and the results were well worth the $100. Speeds down and up are 2x what they were and I pay no additional costs. The four channel link is quite awesome.

Updated November 4, 2008:

Well I returned to Cox HSI after several years with Qwest DSL. So far the experience is meeting my expectations. Sign up was done on line and on the second go around, things worked out fine. The installer was an actual Cox employee (my wife believes they have my account flagged since I have given them so much grief over the years so they didn't want to send a sub-contractor whom I might fold, spindle and mutilate). The installer was very professional, listened to my desires/needs and executed them faultlessly. I had pre-purchased a new Surfboard 5101 and we connected it to a single computer. Connection occurred shortly after he input the MAC address and all works great.

While I signed up for the Preferred 9 down 1 up tier, my speeds have gone as high as 22 down and 3.5 up. Actual download speeds seem to max at 1400kbs for largish files. I have seen no degradation of connection speed during the late afternoon and evening hours. The tech said that we were probably on a new node since fiber had been installed to our townhouse complex earlier this year.

So so far it is great and costs only $3 more per month than my Qwest DSL that won't go above 3M down and 640k up in my lifetime despiye all their advertising. They don't want to replace old copper.

---------------------------------

Some reflections from a long time Cox HSI user and an occasional DSL user.

I have had Cox since they arrived in north central Phoenix quite a few years ago. First video and then HSI. I have retained it even after multiple frustrations and flirtations with DSL simply because of the speed. Last week I ordered the upgrade from the standard HSI to Premier. This experience has precipitated these comments. The online application, after receiving email, was quick and easily done. I must note however, that the way they phrase and state things I might have thought I was buying HSI for the first time. They confirmed that order would be processed with 2 days-it was since on the third day I received an email telling me that the order had been implemented. (Like the phone companies, Cox uses stilited, complex and generally imprecise written communications. Some one should teach them some style and clarity lessons.)

When I got home this past Monday, I excitedly booted up and ran some speed tests. SIIGGHH....it wasn't appreciately faster than before. I got on here and checked out forums and read about the disappoints of others. Yesterday I purchased a new SB5120 modem to bypass the Broadcom chip issue in my SB5100. No significant improvement. I get radically variable download speeds, on occasion as high as 8500 and as low as 1500. Generally it fluctuates bewteen 4000 and 6500. The upload speed is quite consisten at 1000.

Experiences yesterday and today with tech support have produced the usual desire to do bad things to their bodies. They are not terribly knowledgeable, some are inarticulate to a fault, and ALL are incapable of fixing anything (presume Tier 1). I continue to be frustrated by their simplistic demand to have PC connected directly to the modem. I have never found that this enabled them to really fix anything, and I do not like sitting "naked and exposed" on the net. (Interesting side note: config management page on the SB5120 found at 192.168.100.1 says that the modem can act as a DHCP server and handout addresses in that IP range.But it doesn't work as ipconfig /all shows that PC is picking up address etc from Cox DNS server. Too bad as that might be good solution for many users.)

I now have techie coming Friday afternoon. It will be interesting to see what she/he comes up with. As I did once before I can cancel the Premier service and go back. But I will end up staying with Cox for the speed. I had a very good experience with Qwest DSL and Qwest net for a year as I explored MS Small Business Service. I got 1.5 mbs down and 896 kbs up. Static IPs and tech support that new how to solve problems. If Qwest can ever get a 3-5mbs down and 1.5mbs up setup for a reasonable price I will be gone from Cox in a heart beat. At that point I also dump the video and buy a dish.

I hope this is of interest to some of you.

Updated on October 16, 2005

I have since gone to Qwest (published forum message) and am quite satisfied. Cox was never able to fix the problem with Premier service, and after admitting it was their problem faded into desert when the tech changed schedules. I first dropped Premier, and have since dropped Cox HSI.

I have Qwest Premier at 3 mb down and 640 up. After an intial problem that was fixed when an outside tech found physical problem with the underground cable, speed has been totally consistent. I had two or three contacts with Qwest tech support and all were professional and they followed through and got problems fixed. Cox never did this.

I have five static IP addresses and no blockage of ports so the two servers are able to function well and provide email and web pages. Interestingly, Cox has apparently started blocking all SMTP traffic that doesn't flow thru their servers. A friend who has a website and email on GoDaddy found last week that his outgoing email was completely blocked unless he used the Cox servers. Even the work around that GoDaddy had provided was non-functional.

Comments:

Review by sniperboyz See Profile

• Location: Portsmouth,Portsmouth City,VA
Good "Cox still get free powerboost that possible to reach 50+mbps from Preferred Tier. Great speed and quality."
Bad "Sometime the modem get reboot for no reason while downloading movie from torrent and playing gaming."
Overall "Good pings in distance. Almost never got problem with Cox while 8+ years."

We currently use Premier package. We get about $200. Few months ago, the highest we got is $230 for no reason. I think their bills messed up or I'm not sure but anyway. We were used the Motorola SB6120 in last year. I bought new Cisco DPC3010 modem for more bonding channels and good performance and I heard Cox were out with new technology with DOCSIS 3.0. I saw many Cox truck upgrade something on poles. There is good that we mostly never got problem with Cox like they going down for put new thing or they doing something on their server. The bad news, they don't offering 100mbps+ Tier.

I guess Cox uncap the powerboost from upload but the download powerboost look exact it was cap at 33 or 35mbps. If I reset the modem, it back to 60+mbps.

The router and modem currently using:

Modem: Cisco DPC3010
Router: Apple Airport Extreme 5th Gen.

Speed is usually around 40Mbps / 4 Mbps but it depending on powerboost max out. No probem have appear. Just very recently issue from Cox which are upgrading and maintainance. I am happy with that.

member for 4.4 years, 718 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
JohnW

Cox HSI is so good!

I have had Cox as my internet provider 11 months now Roanoke va city. where I live its the only choice but been so good! as a Verizon DSL person for several yrs at two different locations (Salem, Va and Pound, Va in 'far' southwest Va) I will prob never go back to DSL. I am in the Preferred pack since I really don't need lots of speed for my needs but still beats the advertised speeds I get 15-20+ down and 1 Up most of the time. And their TV service great too Cox recently change the on screen guide made a huge difference especially how On Demand channel changes function used to take a long time to process. ur speed post looks tempting for me but what I have is adequate.