Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by scorpio949 See Profile

• Location: San Clemente,Orange,CA
Good "customer service "
Bad "very expensive, worse value for your money "
Overall "I would switch in a minute if I could find the same speed anywhere else, your only choice for cable internet"

Purchased the premier internet speed says up to 50Mb/s but have never gone beyond 30. So emphasis on the "up to part".

Comments:
nmlobo

join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA

Worst value?

If Cox is the only option in your area, how could it be the worst value for your money? Since you say it is the only game in town, you have nothing to compare it too; doesn't that make it the only value? We have FIOS and Cox available at my home........guess what, the prices nearly are identical both over $70 a month for a 50m plan.
pkuzma

join:2010-11-24
Metairie, LA

Re: Worst value?

exactly... this review is terrible and should be removed.

Review by cdunnman See Profile

• Location: Roanoke,Roanoke City,VA
Good "internet"
Bad "speed for the money"
Overall "updated review 1/27/14"

we Have the preffered package at 25/5 the order process was smooth the modem is a Motorola SB5101

I been with cox for a total of 30 yrs, i think for the speed 25/5 is too high, I mean i atleast should get over 25/5 but there nothing i can do I guess.

but over all it is a great service, just not that great on the speed, and the price for how much they are charging

Comments:

Review by chuckkk See Profile

• Location: Warner Robins,Houston,GA
Good "High speed transfer, fairly reliable."
Bad "Very occasional serious drops in data transfer, intermittent long ping times, etc."
Overall "Connection Quality improved, ~63Mbps download speeds"

Basic order/install experience was so long ago that it's not germane.

Cox takes advantage of a near monopoly in the area in terms of price and service levels.

Speed and so forth have generally improved in the last several months, as a result of local network upgrades. It's interesting that the local network (to Atlanta anyway) is capable of speed at or above 100mbps. Cox may quietly start advertizing higher speed capability.

Currently with "Premier" I'm seeing ~63mbps down, and about 1/2 that up, except to SEATAC and the surrounding areas.

The modem log still fills with "Uni-cast Maintenance Ranging T3 timeout errors, and the "DHCP Renew Warning Field Invalid" errors. This makes the modem log sort of useless for diagnosing intermittent problems. You would think Cox can correct the problem.

As usual, the underlying problems with Cox have been network related of one type or another. They still have un-needed truck rolls as a default. Further, they may charge for the truck roll, even when it's a network issue, forcing the customer to re contact customer service to get the charge removed.

As to the cable TV side, The commercial quantity is huge and increasing, along with about 10% annual rate increases. I'm seriously considering dropping all but basic TV, or re aiming my outdoor antenna to the multichannel HD tower NNE from here. That tower has all the major broadcast networks available.

Comments:

FreeBSDuser

join:2013-05-15
Somers, NY

Local cable company TV. Cox internet.

I think you can use your competing local cable company for TV and Cox for internet.

Review by dltwyman See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "connection ok. low pings most of the time."
Bad "low data cap. speeds not as advertised. Cost high for the bandwidth we get."
Overall "I wish they weren't as much of a monopoly and we had a FIOS choice"

Have had for 7 years. Now capped at 300GB . all we do is streaming ( no torrent downloads ) . we are trying to cut the cord and we run close to this 300 line every month . Pretty lame considering we pay a premium price for "Premiere " package - which is supposed to be 50Mbps and burst to 63Mbps - even their own speed test only gets us 26Mbps - 18Mbps on external services so no where close to what we pay for . Used to have Ultimate 100Mbps package but we got the exact same speeds as current package - so increasing the package only increased our bill . I can wait until someday Vegas and its suburbs get decent FIOS.

Comments:
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

FiOS

FiOS isn't coming to Vegas. It's a VZ product and you're not even near any VZ service areas.

Anonguy

@cox.net

Speeds

Sounds like you either have a Docsis 2 modem Or cox still thinks you do as the 26mpbs is what Cox provisions your modem at,

If your modem is Doc3 call in and make sure your account is set up correctly.

Review by skeechan See Profile

• Location: Laguna Hills,Orange,CA
Good "Decent throughput, caps are currently unenforced, excellent latency when service is working properly"
Bad "Mediocre speeds for the price, periods of unacceptably high latency that require a truck roll, expensive"
Overall "Better than dialup, but increasingly expensive for what you get"

·Clear Wireless
I have had Cox HSI since the early @Home days, about late 1998 when Orange County, CA was one of the first markets to get cable HSI.

PRESALES: I saw an add in the newspaper for cable Internet and their new Digital Television and signed up.

ORDERING: The order was easy. The price then was $30/mo for service and $15 for the CDLP modem rental. The modem was a Motorola Cybersurfr and could be purchased for $400.

INSTALL: The install was 3 days later and two technicians came out. Back then there were techs who specialized in the modem installs and others for digital TV. Now all of the techs seem to do both. Even though my house has RG59, it was fine. They ran RG6 from the outlet to the modem. Since then I've had the modem moved to a different room and the tech ran a separate RG6 line directly from the J-box to the modem.

RELIABILITY: Over these 14 years the service has gone down but VERY rarely. I would call it extremely reliable. Latency has also been good over the years. To local speed test service in Los Angeles and San Diego I'm seeing less than 10ms, pretty darn good.

TECH SUPPORT: Tech support was never a problem. Issues that cropped up or calling in for tech support to update the MACID for a new modem install were always handled quickly.

SERVICES: The original service was provided by the now defunct @Home and was static IP 3000/256kbps, screaming fast in a day of dialup, 100X faster. Now offerings are typical for a cable provider, multiple tiers starting at around $25-$30 for 3Mb service going up to $100/mo for 50Mb service. Over the years the price has crept up a bit but so have speeds. Now triple bonding DOCSIS 3 provides 25000/2000kbps with "power boost" to about 70000/5000kbps with my plan at $65/mo. Cox has caps but they don't charge for overages and will likely send out a nastygram if you go over a bunch of times. I don't know of anyone who has had their service cancelled for abuse. I got an abuse letter once but it was 12 years ago during the @Home days. I've gone over my Cox caps tons of times and never got an abuse letter.

PRICE: Overall the price is pretty fair with the 25Mb tier going for $65/mo. There are cheaper services around. Cox has caps but as mentioned earlier, there are no overage fees, at least not currently.

VALUE: For all 14 years I think I've been getting good value from Cox for HSI and don't plan on changing unless they start charging for the overages or take substantial price increases without substantial speed increases.

RECOMMENDED: Like ALL services, your mileage will vary and just because service on my street is great doesn't mean service in say CT or AZ is great or even great in the next town. Talk to neighbors, read local reviews, browse the forums for posts about service in your area. Take Cox up on any cancelable promotions and avoid entering in any contracts until you have a chance to really try out the service.

Plan: Cox Ultimate 50/5 DOCSIS 3
Cap: 400GB/mo unenforced
Equipment: Customer owned Motorola SB6180
Bonding: 4 CH Down / 1 CH Up

UPDATE 23.5.2012: Cox has seen fit to "fix" the unlimited power boost people were getting here. Where just a few weeks ago I was seeing 70+Mb with power boost, now I hit the wall at around 32Mb, which isn't much faster than the 25Mb tier I'm paying for so I may as well not have power boost at all. Powerboost should be at least 2X whatever the tier speed is to make any difference, otherwise it isn't worth having. I'm not going to knock off any stars for this change since Cox always advertised PB being this speed, and never claimed I would get 50+Mb with PB but darn it these austerity measures!

UPDATE - Upgraded to 50/5 service, $100/mo. Same modem. Powerboost is about 60Mbps.

UPDATE - 20.12.2012 Cox changed bonding from 3/1 to 4/1

UPDATE - 21.5.2013 Dropping ratings for services and value since my market still hasn't been upgraded while others have been upgraded for several months but of course they still charge the same money.

UPDATE - 7.8.2013 Downgrading ratings once again. I am seeing very little value in this service any more. Here we are now in August...still no tier upgrades despite other markets getting them some 6 months ago. Prices keep going up and I have nothing to show for it other than a thinner wallet. Thanks for nothin Cox.

UPDATE 15.10.2013 A latency problem as returned making browsing painful. Another truck roll scheduled. With prices going up and quality going down, I am increasingly disappointed with Cox.

UPDATE 17.10.2013 Truck roll got the latency issue fixed, the field tech did an excellent job as always. It is just unfortunate that after so many years (18 years total, about 14 with DCATV and HSI) with virtually ZERO issues and I mean none, I have had several since the Spring, not just HSI, but also numerous CATV related problems. The only service that has remained trouble free has been the legacy VoCable telephone service, negated by its high price.

Plan: Cox Ultimate 50/5 DOCSIS 3
Cap: 400GB/mo unenforced
Equipment: Customer owned Motorola SB6180
Bonding: 8/4
Monthly: $100 for HSI
Total monthly fee with CATV, 4 premiums/VoCable Telephone, 2 cablecard rentals $305

Comments:

skeechan

Photos

Top photo, typical POWERBOOSTED speed. After about 10 seconds speeds drop to my tier of 25Mb down and 2Mb up. The next photo is the classic CDLP Cybersurfr modem that was originally deployed with Cox in the late 1990's. It was a beast!
JayriAvieock

join:2007-01-28
Choctaw, OK

Cap

Reason why you aren't contacted about going over your cap, because you aren't adversely affecting everyone else's service.

Lastest speed test

Cox fixes PB, oh well
Recently Cox has "fixed" their Powerboost config. Previously, Powerboost would be channel saturation and with my 3 bonded channels meant close to 75Mb most of the time. Now the modem has a config file for about 31Mb plus overhead.

Same for the upstream. Previously I would see 4-5Mb and now 2-3Mb. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

AA169|170

Update

skeechan

Review by vraeden See Profile

• Location: Gainesville,Alachua,FL
Good "When it works properly, it's fast."
Bad "Lower Level Customer Support doesn't know computers and doesn't care"
Overall "Knock on neighbors door and ask to do a speedtest when you think you'll use the internet the most."

-----------------------------

Update 3: September 17th, 2013. Three years ago, I moved to Northwest Gainesville. After getting the wires replaced in the house, the speed was phenomenal...until this month. Now, I'm dealing with the exact same issues I was dealing with prior in the review. Low level tech support that doesn't know how a computer works...low speeds during peak hours, high speeds when I need to be asleep. Avoid if you can find something in your area. DO NOT SIGN A CONTRACT. They have started offering deals if you sign a 2 year agreement. I would recommend strongly against that given my overall experience.

----------------------------------------

Update 2: Back to an overloaded node. During peak times, can't pull down more than 1Mbps down when I should be getting closer to 12. The previous higher up I spoke with before no longer works there...so I don't have anyone on the inside to contact to get it fixed again. I do NOT recommend based on this frustrating experience. It used to matter to me because of gaming, now it matters to me for watching things on Hulu, etc.

Update: It took a very high up person reached through these forums to tell me the truth about my bad speeds. The problem seems to be fixed now due to work on their end. Turns out that the node I was on was seeing full utilization during peak hours...they added more capacity.

The phone support and in-home tech visits are currently terrible. The forum support from Cox and the support from the higher ups in Cox is superb. This same higher up is looking into improving the lower level support structure--I hope to update this review in the future with good news.

So, now I often get 20Mbps down during the day, and 8-12 down during the evening. 12Mbps down/ 1 Mbps up advertised package.

-------------------------------------------

I have the Premier 12Mbps down/1Mbps up package. The up speed is pretty consistent. But the down speed is only good when no one else in the complex is using the internet, typically the day time.

I'm living in an apartment complex with a lot of PhD students and their families. The neighborhood is flooded with wireless signals, many unlocked.

I can't seem to get the consistent speed problem fixed...the cable company knows it's a problem and just doesn't do anything about it. I've had this problem for at least 6 months and have had two techs come out to look at it, both with different stories. One claimed overloaded node, the next claimed bad tap. Obviously, I just want it fixed.

At my old apartment, I had the lower 7Mbps package. At the time I left, the speeds were consistently around that number, even at night when I play intense FPS games. That's why I think the service has potential. Just need competition in the neighborhood.

»www.speedtest.net/result/690350340.png

Comments:
JohnW

join:2011-03-13
·Cox HSI

DOCSIS 3.0.. bonded channels..

Seems that your area serviced by Cox hasn't implemented DOCSIS 3.0 service or bonded channels yet. Also, make sure u have the proper modem or router to get it once it's available. Makes all the difference it makes the speed very consistent any time during the day or night I am on the preffered package in Roanoke VA which ads for 25M down/5 Up.. I am getting 32.5M/6.8M connection before the upgrade to DOCSIS 3.0 I had similar issues you are having but not that slow.
»www.speedtest.net/result/2971883095.png
vraeden

join:2007-06-21
Gainesville, FL
·Cox HSI

Re: DOCSIS 3.0.. bonded channels..

I have had DOCSIS 3.0 and bonding for the last three years. I have a SB6120. Yet, here we are...I think it's a combination of being in a saturated student market and Cox not keeping up with any kind of analysis of the local network...but that's just a wild guess on my part.

Anonguy

@cox.net

Re: DOCSIS 3.0.. bonded channels..

AN 8 channel D3 modem could help.

A moto 6180 or 6141 if you want to stay Motorola

Review by GilbertMark See Profile

• Location: Gilbert,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Got an appointment quick with a fast install. Very reliable service!"
Bad "OBSCENE pricing. You can't unbundle without penalty."
Overall "We're leaving and headed down that DSL rabbit hole again with Century Link."

September 2013

CenturyLink arrived today to turn on the DSL and port our Cox phone number. The installer Luis was awesome and set up the equipment and a computer even though we hadn't selected this as an option since it cost money. My wife called Cox today to cancel and they asked her why. We've been loyal customers of theirs for 6 years and 5 months. Apparently that means nothing to Cox since they wouldn't give her a deal or try to keep our business whatsoever. Screw 'em! Bye. Our DSL speed is FASTER than the "premium" cable we had with Cox by 8Mbps. Guess they have been just sticking it to us all these years. I hope our experience with CenturyLink is a good one, I don't ever want to have to go back to you rip off artists.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------

August 2013

Times are tough. We got rid of our digital box a year prior for a reduction of $10 a month. Six months ago we cancelled TV for a savings of about $30 We currently have phone with unlimited nationwide minutes and premiere internet. We're still over $100 which is obscene for a phone line and internet. My wife called Cox and explained how we wanted a lower cost option. They were willing to remove the phone line and reduce our bill by $12....

So we signed up with Century Link as the only other real option here in Gilbert. The package there is $38 a month for phone (no nationwide or features) and 20 Mbps internet. We'll post a review on them later. It will be 15 days until they can turn the service on. We're porting our number.

March 2008

We moved to Gilbert from Goodyear. Cox has had maybe two outages lasting 30 minutes tops. We're very happy with our service and reliability.

We wish there was some way to unbundle their packages to save money. We pay an awful lot for phone, TV and internet. Every time we try to remove something they just tell us how they'll compensate by raising the prices on the remaining services we have.

April 2007

My wife and I just moved to the Phoenix area (Goodyear). We received an install date within a couple days of the moving truck dropping off our household goods. The installer arrived at the end of the appointment window, but at least he called ahead a couple hours to say when he would arrive (never had that happen before).

At the time we hadn't unpacked our modem yet so the installer set up the TV right away. We found our modem, called in the MAC address and were up and running within two minutes. We're getting good speeds up and down so we're happy.

member for 12.9 years, 1668 visits, last login: 156 days ago

Comments:
Rob_

Alternatives

Look into getting a Magic Jack if you need your number. Or, google voice can forward your number to your cell phone and, that's free.

Also, Century Link has higher latency than cable. They also have a 256 Gig CrAP
am not touching them with a 10 foot pole, if they go and Verizon comes in, hopefully, we can get FIOS.

Tons of options.

Re: Alternatives

DSL latency isn't going to be higher than cable and even in markets where it might be it won't be by much. My VZ DSL had 10ms latency, certainly good enough for anything. Caps may not matter as most people don't use 250GB/mo and let us not forget that Cox has caps too and is sending out nastygrams to people to break them.

Cox pricing is completely out of control, especially their phone service. Kudos to the reviewer for dumping Cox. The prices keep going up with nothing to show for it but a thinner wallet.
Nocchi rules.

Re: Alternatives

Actually, phone went from $59.00 to $39.99 which isn't bad, considering they give you the modem, etc..I'm not touching Centurylink with a 10 foot pole, most we can get is 1.5/256. If even that!

GilbertMark
join:2001-05-02
Gilbert, AZ

Subject

Thanks for the info on Magic Jack but we'll stick with a regular land line. I have never been a fan of internet based phone calls, the audio quality just doesn't cut it.

Our only big downloads are the occasional movie on iTunes (1 every other week), so we'll NEVER approach a 250 GB cap.
»hackThatPhone.com

Review by rulds See Profile

• Location: San Marcos,San Diego,CA
Good "FAST! Superior then ATT U Verse at 5MBPS"
Bad "Involuntary disconnect"
Overall "Will put up with it until they fix but will not pay until then."

·DSL EXTREME
Please do not take this as a rant. Cox is a wonderful company, the building was just just activated on the 22nd of April.

Tech told me our cable is to far is why we are having so much difficulty.

The came back out and put a drop amp and some Mocca's on the line which improved the signal just a tad.

Cox is scheduled to be back out here Today to do some improvements , we will be patient and wait.

So far I am happy with what they CAN provide me. Its awesome to have 35/12 service.

It's awesome to have decent TV.

They just got to fix the host box so we can finally not call them.

I will update...

Update 07/05/2013

I have not had the opportunity to update for a while but there is allot going on in the negative with cox.

»youtu.be/kDZWeBdsflY

Click on the above YouTube channel I will upload more. Clearly this box was working at one time as there is time on the front which is correct. This box failed and my dvr network works on the box so it's not the mocca network. Cox just does to get the reason why we have all these issues nor do I have the time to take the opportunity to prove them wrong accept for posting on these boards.

We pay 216 dollars for all our substandard services and we get nothing but a band aid. We are giving cox plenty of opportunity to fix. And have be patient with them.

Update.

Well we have a downed box again , will not respond to remote so I called Cox, Laura Eddingtom a appointment was scheduled for a tech to replace box... It was canceled by who well Laura they said. I said we'll WTF? They said I had to call her for a truck roll. I said we'll I tried she does not answer her emails. I said please replace my box. They say we cannot, I said we'll come pick up the boxes and cancel the whole home they transfer me to retaintions which wanted to offer me 50 bucks credit. I said we'll Laura is just going to shoot down the credit. The call ended with no resolution. 1 day later I get a certified letter that Cox will disconnect my service on Aug 22 which is not even 30 days notice.... They said because of my frequent pattern of calls, vexing and using foul language I am disrupting there business ????

I talked to Silvia Dunbar which said they rather have paying customers that do not complain then ones that do.. This means they do not care about quality just there bottom line.

I apologized for the foul language but they still want to not service me. I asked if my parents can sign up. She said she is making my apartment not serviceable so no. I asked why she says she does not want them calling to. WoW so this company does not know how to handle there customers they rather cancel a whistle blower then fix it.

I pay 216 a month get that.. That is a car payment for cable tv , Internet, phone and I am VIP??? Really Cox, really?

So back to the local regulatory commission , I cannot wait I am not stopping until these two individuals understand that the customer is what pays there checks..

Comments:
rulds

·Cox HSI

Update

Well the installers came back out but these were 3rd party installers.

1. Drop Amplifier was removed
2. Host box replaced.
3. Signal was at -7dpmv from -19dpmv

Huge improvement and they were like WTF are the in house installers doing? Why did they amp this? Why was we on a wrong tap?

I could not stop laughing my BUTT off. They even upgraded my host to 1 TERABYTE DVR. The firmware was upgraded as well.

They were extremely professional, knew WTF they were doing and they were not even in house SCARY!

Cox is DA BOMB they just neeed to work on there in house guys.

Update 4/27/2013

We lost internet connection , so I called and they said we are having signal issues AGAIN!!

I am still being patient with them, there new in the building... However its getting old calling them. Seeming I am being a whiner but hey $190 for this is a little much.

They said they could have someone Sunday but I am at church then so I asked if they can call a FSO..

·Cox HSI

Speed test after phone call

»www.speedtest.net/iphone/531308330.png

Not looking good here. We got signal loss at there modem. They will be out from 8- 10 Monday. So we are knocking on some pretty hard oak wood on service here.
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

$190 Really?

Just curious but how is it that you are paying them so much? $190? Isn't that just a bit high?

Re: $190 Really?

Well you figure it's a whole home system so they are charging per box and one dvr. Plus Internet, plus phone and yeah it's way high but who else can I get the same from we cannot have dish.

·Cox HSI

Another video of there box crapping out

»m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl5KEkmq9CQ

2 edits

Cox responds.

update
Well I basically had a 1 hour intelligent conversation with Call Center Operations Laura.

She said that what she ment by the letter is that when I call there will be no support or trucks rolled without her authorization. She still wants to be involved with my issues. She claims that the employees I k ow can get fired for devolging the account notes which she said she can look everyone up to see who accessed the account and basically they can be termed.

Well I wish her good luck with that these people are in very high positions there it just some rep. Cox Laura goes on with more concern of there's because I mentioned I know what Sylvia looks like well folks if you search Sylvia Dunbar on the Internet well you will find some nice photos on her link in account. Not to mention she was at a location in 2007. I explained I am a 316 pound guy with a heart for people and would never hurt anyone and I don't have any record as such.

Well the call was productive she said she is going to send out her group to investigate service issues so we will see. I told her if she takes care of this I would take down her letter that just went viral on another site and work with them in a positive manner.

We will see if she completes her promise and credits are issued accordingly. Folks this is not a rant its all truth and I tell you I have had some negative xperiences that most would not tolerate.

I do have a meeting with UCANN sometime tomorrow regarding issues with Cox. UCANN has seen many of the issues and is wondering and wanting to talk. So I got a watch dog group ready to battle should cox move unto a negative approach.

Folks records can be court ordered and if there is missing stuff in those records then there can be some issues. We will play a wait and see with Cox. We will give Laure her due process out of courtesy. Wednesday is there target so by Friday if not communication has been made we will proceed another way.

I forgot to mention the letter says Ms Keith and the last time I checked my private area for any malpractice I am Mr Keith , Yep I still carry my male organs, and oh if I called there call center and did not cooperate and she said she recorded me then umm she would have known I am a male. I guess it's my first name that throws these invalids off and makes them out to be such a lair LOL.

Also if you look at the address umm I think we never would have a part 500 Lol and then on the certified mail she puts the correct Address , wow not trying to offend but being in Operations I think they need a High School diploma at least ROTFLMAO.

Thanks Dslreports for all you do to help customers voice there valid ratings.

UCANN Agreed

I have a unwavering UCANN and CPUC support regarding Cox they cannot deny, delay service under there own terms of service. So last night I had nothing but issues with the Internet now let me out there inconsistent issues

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/595627833

So the outcome 8 hours later well it was restored. We have a truck roll schedule today and there going to call me a liar but little do they know I got print outs of all there inconsistent drop outs and they advertise constant speeds better then DSL and I am going to hold them to there promise or discount my package.

Cox is just how it sounds and just what they are, they chicken around there service. When they are it here its crap, when the come well it works why? We think they visit the tap first or they are playing with tools before the knock on the door. We will see I get some good footage this time.

I will update UCANN tomarrow

StevenP88

join:2010-11-01
Springfield, MO
·CableOne
·Allegiance Commu..

Re: UCANN Agreed

Well I am gonna put my 2 cents in here, calling so much over service issues will get you terminated with them, cox is not the only company that has terminated customers for excessive calls, sprint did this 2 years ago and terminated people for calling in to much, I have Cable One and i can call in as much as I want and they don't care, also have AT&T and can call in as much as I want, but of course both of these accounts are business account for my business, but then again, I never have problem with them.. I can see Cox standing on this, it does cost them money to run the call center and it does cost money to provide support.. Yes they aren't perfect, but they have a right to refuse service

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR

Re: UCANN Agreed

dish network does it as well.

Review by Farcry84 See Profile

• Location: Wichita,Sedgwick,KS
Good "ask for a cox tech and they'll send one instead of one contracted out"
Bad "have terrible download speed"
Overall "there better then att out here"

I had really bad experience for 2 years with COX HSI Kansas. I constantly had dropped connections and outages and really slow speeds.I called tech support more times then i have fingers.I finally asked for an actual tech from cox themselves other than a third party contractor and the tech noticed what our problem was right away and i haven't had any drops since. download speeds are still terrible but i can't complain for a steady connection for over 6 months now. Customer service is alright they put up with my complaining and did as i asked which is a bonus.the originally supplied some scientific atlantic cable interface so i went out and bought a surfboard 6121 a year ago.

Comments:

Review by Lyrencropt See Profile

• Location: Gainesville,Alachua,FL
Good "Fast when it works, only HSI in town"
Bad "Twice in 4 years had overworked node"
Overall "When it works, it's ok, but not reliable long-term"

Cox has a very small presence in Florida, but it notably controls the city of Gainesville, where the University of Florida is located. It is the only high speed internet available at reasonable speeds/prices. The first year I was here, I spent the entire year getting anywhere from 1/5 down to 1/10 of my advertised speeds from the hours of 7 pm - 3 am, every night, unless it was a long holiday weekend (and everyone went home). The next two years were good, with reliable service, but now we're back to square one, with speeds going as low as 2 mbps on a 36 mbps connection. That's completely unacceptable, especially seeing how it's been going on for nearly a month now. At least we don't get many straight up disconnects? It's hard to list that as a positive when I'm getting 1/18 of my advertised speed, but it's about the only nice thing I have to say.

Comments:
Rob_

Did you get help

»Cox HSI

and message one of the techs on there.

What kind of modem are you using? Are you seeing any packet loss? Speed has been solid here as of lately.

Lyrencropt

join:2009-10-11
Gainesville, FL

Re: Did you get help

Using a Cisco DPC3825, same as we have been since we moved in a year ago. Had two techs come out and replace the modem, and talked to a tech here and several customer service reps on the phone. The response every time has been "Signal levels are good, the best we can do is send a tech/credit your account".

EDIT: And no, no packet loss or signal weakening of any kind. Just terrible speeds at night.