Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by debbieandjon See Profile

• Location: Costa Mesa,Orange,CA
Good "null"
Bad "IESee @75.80.242.x HHMMM133;."
Overall "Expensive High Speed, Monopoly. "

75.80.242.x
IESee

HHMMM133;.

member for 14.9 years, 1315 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

IESee

@75.80.242.x

HHMMM133;.

So, let me guess… We will most likely get another post next November when your promo rolls off huh? Over the 11 1/2 years of your post, you've had a few rate increases… WHICH EVERY COMPANY HAS DONE… Do you complain about the prices on restaurant/Fast food blogs because the Big Mac/Whopper are no longer .99 cents? From 1mbps - 50mbps and your rates went up.. How dare they.

mediocrecox

@68.4.214.x

Re: HHMMM133;.

It is certainly time to complain when those rate increases come faster than competitors and are accompanied with caps that do not increase along with the prices. It is also time to complain when you are always the last market to get upgrades and continually pay the same prices for speeds far below other Cox markets.

It is not about price increases, it comes to where Cox is compared to their industry peers and in that Cox is lacking. Just today I finally gave up after 35 minutes on hold for a tv tech support issue. I have been trying to get through to Cox for 3 days only to be compelled to rot on hold far longer than I have time for. Tried the online chat to the same result...completely abandoned after the introductions.

It may be hard for you to contemplate but as an ARPU customer running $335 per month, I expect better as, GASP, do some others.

Review by smk11 See Profile

• Location: Pensacola,Escambia,FL
Good "Fast depending on time of day"
Bad "Late night maintence knocks connection offline way too much"
Overall "Ridiculously expensive or okay connection"

Sales is absolutely terrible when dealing with them. Your local competition? Cox sales will lie through their teeth about how their connection and service is terrible. It's so bad that it is laughable--and maybe even illegal with the ridiculous exaggerations they make.

Connection speeds are okay but holy crap is it expensive. For the price you would think uptime would be high, well you would be wrong. Maintenance or something happens like clockwork in the early mornings knocking the connection completely offline. It lasts about 2-3 weeks and comes just about every other month.

Overall, so long as you can deal with the early morning outages AND you can get a promotional 12 month rate, Cox is okay. Otherwise, pick something else.

Comments:
chuckkk

join:2001-11-10
Warner Robins, GA

Cox & outages for maintaince

In Mid GA, the Cox web site will claim that the network is "normal",
even though it's down or limping along. First level and second level tech support varies
from sort of ok to abysmal. Trouble is that it's the only "high speed" game in town.
The other local providers are 10Mbps or less. (Cable, ADSL, etc.)

Review by UFO BOGIE 1 See Profile

• Location: Wichita,Sedgwick,KS
Good "Very Good Service, Very happy .."
Overall "Going to stay with them ..!!!!"

·Vonage
I had ATT. DSL, for about 4 years...., Just got tired of the run around. and the add ons, just time for a change. I had the 1.5 speed but the best thay could get me is 1.1 or 1.2 at the best.. So I went with Cox I've had it about 2 months so far,, so good.. I'm on the 7 mg speed now, but going to do the 3 months at $29.99, then go to the 1.5 speed at $26.99, I'm retired, can;t aford the good stuff,, plus I just do a little surfing and reading so that will work good for me. Will let ya know how it goes in a few months. Update 7/2/08...Very Happy with Cox.. Service has been very good... The 1.5 speed is alot faster than the 1.5 speed of the DSL that I had with ...ATT... Customer service has been real good & fast.. & get to talk to a real person faster too...... so I'm very happy with what I have.. Its 2/01/09 Been with Cox for awhile now.. very happy with the service.. I don't have any problems with them.. GOOD SERVICE..!!! Update 8/14/09... Still a Very good Service.. NO problems at all.. UpDate..8/14/11.. Well I left this area for 2 years. Went to the NW. part of Alabama, Had Comcast Service, it was a Bad...!! A lot of problems with the service, I am so glad to be back with COX.... BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK...!!!!!

Comments:

UFO BOGIE 1

join:2008-05-01
Wichita, KS

WATCH OUT..!!!

I've been with Cox around 6 years now.. You better kee an Eye on them thay will Double charge you ..if you don't keep a close watch... & getting your money back will be... Well ...!!! Let me put it this very hard & thay will put extra charges on ya..so watch it..!!!

Review by Mivoc See Profile

• Location: Mesa,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Fast download speeds"
Bad "Intermittent packetloss. Terrible technical support."
Overall "Internet connectivity is unreliable, somedays its great, somedays not so much."

Ongoing problems with internet connection makes it impossible for online gaming. I play a lot of online games and have a lot of packet loss issues to my first hop. I have had several techs come out, they never find issues and say the signal looks great. Yet I still have constant packet loss problems especially during peak hours and weekends.

Dealing with technical support is a nightmare. The technicians on the phone offer little more than basic assistance such as rebooting equipment. Anything beyond power cycling devices is a automatic onsite technician. Onsite techs only check problems inside the house and up to the pedestal it seems, anything beyond that is a ticket to yet another department. None of these departments seem to have any idea what the other is doing. It is impossible to follow up with them and find out what is going on.

If you live the in northwest Mesa, stay very far away from Cox.

Comments:

Review by AmericanLoco See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Fairly reliable, decent speeds"
Bad "Hideously expensive, "
Overall "It's probably better than comcast."

Cox is alright. It's really expensive for what you get and the cable TV image quality is really bad, even the HD channels. Way too much compression. OTA digital broadcasts look much better. The internet is ok, but does suffer from minor outages occasionally. Also, if you don't have a DOCSIS2 modem, they'll inject messages into websites you go on harassing you to upgrade to a DOCSIS3 modem on your own dime. Pretty shady practice there.

Comments:

Review by asiatrails See Profile

• Location: Owasso,Tulsa,OK
Bad "Slow service and bad support"
Overall "Used to be great, now not"

·Vonage
I am running the premier service which is supposed to have just been upgraded to 100 MB down and 10 MB up, I am not getting that level of service. Using Cox's preferred speed tester, 0.77Mb down and 11.4 up is the best I have gotten over the last week.

The upload speed is excellent and what I should be getting, the download is garbage. I just spent over two hours with a tech who was not even at the level of a script reader, this is not the type of internet service, or support, on which I spend money on. She was very hard to hear and told me she had her headset turned way down, frustrating !!!! Asked if she could arrange a technician visit and got a story about how she was in Alabama so I asked for a call back to schedule a technician visit, two hours ago and still waiting.

Went through all the usual steps, turn modem on/off, what light flash, reboot router, plug in laptop(s) for direct connection, check wireless settings, power levels and signal to noise rations on modem are good 35db minimum and power level of 5 db/mv maximum.

Problem looks like it is on the downstream line, and gets really bad after heavy rain, box flooding maybe???

Comments:

LazamairAMD

join:2001-03-14
Catoosa, OK

Check your splitters.

We experienced something similar to this, which required a service call. Since COX did their upgrades, they are using frequencies that are being filtered out by your splitters. If you look at the splitter and it shows 5-900MHz, then you need to get those swapped.
If at first you don't succeed, try a different screwdriver.
asiatrails

join:2014-09-06
·Cox HSI

Re: Check your splitters.

Thanks for the tip, Cox have been working in the area for the last week and service is crawling back up to where it should be.

I did get a call from a Cox tech who was going to be at my house to check the internal wiring in 10 minutes, no can do, I said, I have this thing called work to do.

Got a long saga about how customer service had set this up with me, they had not. Asked him to check the splitter on the box outside and he wanted to know if it had been installed by a Cox technician or a contractor. No idea as best I can recall the van had Cox on the side of it, sounds as if they all do.

Ended up he refused to come by to check it, told me to reschedule with customer service. I just spent over 30 minutes on hold, waiting, no answer.

Waiting for the next big rain to see if they have fixed the problem. I just want the service that I am paying for.

Review by Rakeesh See Profile

• Location: Mesa,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Great reliability and speed"
Bad "Tech support are morons"
Overall "Good internet, bad TV"

·Sprint Mobile Br..
EDIT: Just an update (June 21st 2014)

About this time last year I unsubbed to TV entirely. No satellite either. I presently only subscribe to the 50/10 internet tier and it works quite well. The total bill, after all fees and everything, is $59 a month after a 20% discount that lasts an entire year. All things considered, I do believe Cox is ahead of the curve when it comes to ISP reliability and performance. While they aren't a Google Fiber, I do overall feel that the service is worth the price, but this is mainly because in the area I live in, the bar is pretty low.

Should another ISP ever come around, I'll update the review, but for now they're decent so long as you don't subscribe to their TV service. If you MUST have cable TV, I strongly urge you to consider satellite instead.

---Old review follows---

I am on the 27/5mbit package, and the internet connection itself is decent. However, to get a good price you have to bundle with another one of their services.

This is lame because their cable service is downright crappy. If DVRs existed in the 80's, they would closely resemble what cox has now. I think cox just figured "hey, they'll take whatever DVR we give them and won't know the difference" so they just picked the crappiest one they could find.

You'd figure "I could go cablecard and use my own DVR, right?" Well, sort of, but not really. They provide really crappy tuning adapters that are very flaky, so some of your channels can disappear at random. Plus, they blanket flag all channels as copy once, so custom DVR solutions (e.g. HTPC) will be near worthless if your goal is whole home functionality. Most cable providers don't do this, but if you have the misfortune of being with cox...well, I'm sorry.

Also their installers have no idea what the hell they are doing when it comes to cablecards. Had I not been a technically minded person, we never would have gotten them set up proper.

member for 3.1 years, 877 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
kfw

join:2001-11-20
Norman, OK

Cox Cable

The programing is terrible and I hate the 2006 DVR's they give us (with 2008 software). These people think we are idoits. I am fixing unbundle go for DIRECTV. At least I will have a better selections. The way they stack 3 progams and let you record only 2 sucks. COX NEEDS TO UPGRADE THIER EQUIPMENT). Sory I had to get that out.... COX TV = Garbage for progaming I paid good money to watch and have to watch again. It gets boring...
Rob_
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Re: Cox Cable

Agree, just don't expect direct tv to work in a rainstorm. Many people are returning their crappy hardware.

-Rob
Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
·Sprint Mobile Br..

Re: Cox Cable

I used to have directv, never had any issues with rainstorms unless they were REALLY bad, and even then the outage wouldn't last long. You can easily get around that problem by using a bigger dish. Up north (canada) they use 24" dishes just to get a proper signal at all on ku band. Just use one of those down south and you'll never have any problems.

I've had more cable outages with cox than I had with directv. That is, hardly any worth mentioning.

Also, directv and dish both offer VASTLY superior equipment to cox. Cox DVR's have a ridiculously slow user interface and all sorts of bugs. I think they picked the cheapest brand available and just thought "hey, it has the letters DVR, that means they'll love it no matter how much of a POS it really is."
kfw

join:2001-11-20
Norman, OK

Re: Cox Cable

Rakish, Thanks for your comment, my Dad has Direct TV and loves it so much he cut off the cable company providing him with all his services. He uses Radio Internet instead of AT&T DSL that never got fixed...

Local Cox keeps getting more expensive and more of the basic goes into the top set boxes... Cox's choices of DVR are just stupid. I know of technology that reads between the signals to gives your local and expanded services. I am watching cable companies suing these people. If the outcome is good, (we know the cable companies put an enormous amount of money resisting this.) We just might get what we want at a cheaper price. COX raised their prices here again and I am dreading just looking at the bill, much less paying it…
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Hold on.

That's a good deal on the internet.. Hold on when your discount runs out.

Review by palbri See Profile

• Location: Suffield,Hartford,CT
Good "Pricing"
Bad "Speeds, Modem, Customer Service, you name it."
Overall "Can't compete with Comcast; 15 years behind the standard"

I moved to a new area after having been a Comcast subscriber for almost 20 years. Cox is NOT Comcast. While pricing is competitive and slightly less expensive, the whole experience is underwhelming. I never achieve the rated 25 MB DL speeds and it is worse on wireless: half or slower with constant disconnects (I have changed modems/routers twice and even use an extender, which have also been replaced). Speeds decrease at night if not randomly. I even live in a less populated area. With Comcast, I NEVER had speed issues and even on wi-fi speeds were close to advertised speeds. I have hardwired the Smart TV and Box on Cox and speeds are improved but not stellar.

It appears Cox is where Comcast was 15 years ago: spotty and unreliable with poor Customer Service who can barely help you on the telephone.

Comments:
KnightAR

join:2004-04-22
San Marcos, CA

Post on the Cox forums here

As a fellow Cox costumer, I've once in a while ran into slowness, spotty issues with their service. As a Cox customer for over 20 years I've learned to know what to do when your having service issues. I've had problems over the years, but nothing Cox was not able to fix, and i've went years without issues. My suggestion:

First, Post on the Cox HSI forums on dslreports and have one of the Techs that frequents the forum look into the issue and to help you debug it. (They will ask you to PM them your Mac Address).

Second, If the tech support on the forum does find the issue he may tell you what to tell the people on the phone to fix it, or they may be able to fix it already on their end. If the problem still continues after speaking with a tech on the forum, Call Cox tech support (Press 0 to skip the machine trying to help debug the issue). Have them send out a tech guy to take a look at your line; It could be a single strength issue (they may need to boost the strength, or replace a cable or two). In my opinion, Cox is very helpful if you call and carefully explain the problems.
Artician LLC
Co-Founder
Artician Web Development Studios - »www.artician.net
Artician - Creative Network for Art, Graphic Design, & Photography - »www.artician.com

Hard Harry

join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Re: Post on the Cox forums here

How does Wifi have anything to do with a ISP? Thats your routers fault. And if you think Mb is MB, its no wonder you have to call support so much. Your review wasn't so much a review but a rant which is not very helpful.

rulds2008

@70.181.184.x

Re: Post on the Cox forums here

I don't feel it was a rant he said he was with Comcast witch was 14 years above Cox.. He explain what he was doing to fix it and so on. I feel your trying to Troll him into a negative conversation.
said by Hard Harry:

Review by Dogpatch See Profile

• Location: Harrison,Boone,AR
Good "Faster than Windstream."
Bad "Not nearly as reliable as should be."
Overall "When another high speed competitor arrives - I'm gone."

I have had Cox's Premiere service since the get go and have always had up and down service. Never smooth and steady. Have had service for nearly two years and have had several service calls probably averaging at least 1 per quarter. Techs can never provide a resolution. Have tried gateways from Netgear, Cisco, & different Netgear, all to no avail. I am very frustrated with Cox HSI and can't wait for another option.

Comments:

Review by tronester3 See Profile

• Location: Tulsa,Tulsa,OK
Good "Very good download speeds, I get 50mbps down, 10mbps up. Excellent latency as well."
Bad "Pathetic Data usage cap of 300 gigabytes per month."
Overall "Unfortunately they are the best option in Tulsa. Maybe Google will lay fiber."

I've had Cox for several years now. The speeds are a bit better than ATT Uverse from what I've seen. Every once in awhile I will have a connection issue where I will have to reset the cable modem.

Called up their sales as I needed to upgrade from preferred to premiere. Told Saleswoman I was thinking of switching to ATT. Asked what kind of discount I could get. She took off 30 dollars or so from the entire 175 dollar bill. Said that was the best she could do. Then told her to transfer me to the cancellation department. She then said she handled that. She asked if I wanted to cancel service immediately, I said no, set the disconnect date for two weeks from the day in order to have ATT service put in first. She immediately started backpedaling and dropped another 20 dollars off the price. Sketchy that they can lie to customers like that.

No latency issues for online gaming. Pings of sub 40ms are common.

For 25mbps, you will utilize your entire data usage allotment for the month in just under 24 hours assuming you max out your downstream connection. Obviously this isn't typically going to happen.

If you divide out 250 gigabytes over an entire month, your download speed would ACTUALLY be less than 1mbps. Pathetic if you think about it.

****New Review****

Several years later, here I am back to update. I just bought a new docsis 3.0 modem and cut all of my services except premier internet. I have no complaints whatsoever with the speed, which is now 50mbps down and 10mbps up. Low latency as well. What I am mad about are the data caps. My downstream is now double and upstream almost quadruple what they were, yet my data cap has only gone from 250 gigabytes a month to 300. I've already gotten emails from them that I am using too much of their precious bandwidth. They are the only option in town at this speed range (AT&T is 18/2.5 max) and cox knows it. I guess I will continue to stream my 4k netflix and use my online backup and keep getting notices from them until they actually threaten to cancel my account.