Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by debbieandjon See Profile

• Location: Laguna Niguel,Orange,CA
Good "Download Speed"
Bad "Dollar Value, upload only 5 megabit per second"
Overall "The only high speed provider available in the area."

75.80.242.x wrote: BS

Poor value. Cox is the only high speed provider here.

»/im/10 ··· 8820.png

Comments:

IESee

@75.80.242.x

HHMMM133;.

So, let me guess… We will most likely get another post next November when your promo rolls off huh? Over the 11 1/2 years of your post, you've had a few rate increases… WHICH EVERY COMPANY HAS DONE… Do you complain about the prices on restaurant/Fast food blogs because the Big Mac/Whopper are no longer .99 cents? From 1mbps - 50mbps and your rates went up.. How dare they.

mediocrecox

@68.4.214.x

2 recommendations

Re: HHMMM133;.

It is certainly time to complain when those rate increases come faster than competitors and are accompanied with caps that do not increase along with the prices. It is also time to complain when you are always the last market to get upgrades and continually pay the same prices for speeds far below other Cox markets.

It is not about price increases, it comes to where Cox is compared to their industry peers and in that Cox is lacking. Just today I finally gave up after 35 minutes on hold for a tv tech support issue. I have been trying to get through to Cox for 3 days only to be compelled to rot on hold far longer than I have time for. Tried the online chat to the same result...completely abandoned after the introductions.

It may be hard for you to contemplate but as an ARPU customer running $335 per month, I expect better as, GASP, do some others.
nmlobo

join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA

1 recommendation

Re: HHMMM133;.

In your title you wrote that Cox has a local monopoly - - if so, then what competitors are you talking about in your comments? They cannot be a monopoly if they have competitors. BTW, I thought this was an HSI (High Speed Internet) forum. Wouldn't your comments on television support be better addressed in a cable television forum?

Re: HHMMM133;.

There aren't any competitors at this location that offer 5+ mbps high speed. Fiber is not available. DSL connections do not offer more than 3 - 5 mbps.

Television support was never mentioned.

Competitors = AT&T

TV was mention by @68.4.214.x

Review by bokamba See Profile

• Location: Falls Church,Fairfax,VA
Good "Connection is generally stable, installation was quick"
Bad "Too expensive, returning rented modem was inconvenient"
Overall "Not terrible, but not a great value"

Update, 4/2/15: The latest speed test indicates we are getting speeds that are approximately as advertised. However, the monthly service fee has been increased 10%, so it's an even worse value. Also, last night we suffered an outage--happily, in the morning things were back to normal.

Update, 1/11/15: After getting a new wireless router, I can now state with confidence that we're not getting the 50 Mbps we are paying for (tests consistently land at around 35 Mbps or lower). Disappointing!

Update, 9/29/14: The $30/month promotion mentioned below expired after one year. Since then, the download speed has been raised to 50 Mbps (though I am not sure my connection is actually that fast, I'm getting at least 20 Mbps). The "standard" price for my Internet-only service is now $60/month, but I called and threatened to cancel, and got it lowered to $42/month for the next 12 months. Other than that, everything in the original review remains true.

Original review from 2013: Cox offers residents of my apartment complex a $30/month Internet-only deal (15 Mbps down/5 up). I think it's a lower price than I'd otherwise get in this area. It's month-to-month, which I appreciate, since I didn't want to commit to a long-term contract.

Installation was quick and professional. I initially used the all-in-one modem-router-WAP provided by Cox, but decided to buy my own cable modem and save the $7/month modem rental (which is in addition to the monthly fee). Returning the rented modem was inconvenient because I had to return it to Cox's showroom, which was inconveniently located.

The connection is very stable and fast enough for my needs (Web, gaming, high-def online video). I haven't done thorough speed tests, though.

As with most ISPs, Cox's default DNS servers redirect mistyped URLs to pages of ads. But they also have normal DNS servers you can use.

Comments:

Anonguy

@cox.net

Do you have a Docsis 3 modem.

You need a Docsis modem to get 50mbps.

What model modem do you have?
Jonasjlp

join:2011-06-22
Downingtown, PA

Re: Do you have a Docsis 3 modem.

Do you have problems with wifi connectivity? I seem to have problems on all devices when i'm not within 20ft or if there is a wall in the way.

Review by tsoyka See Profile

• Location: Yorktown,York,VA
Good "one phone call and 4 days is all it took, but they claim up to 100Mb (yes one hundred Mb) download speed and 10M upload"
Bad "not quite what I am paying for...less than 100Mb speeds, and the TV service is HORABLE!"
Overall "drop all of their services except internet, and watch TV online."

100/10Mb UPload/Download speeds, and basic cable with HBO and Epix. but the TV sucks, and The only time I get near 100Mb download speeds is when I have tech support on the phone. over all their internet is not Fios, but it is the next best thing, and cheaper too...

Comments:

Review by Jonasjlp See Profile

• Location: Broken Arrow,Tulsa,OK
Good "Better then DSL"
Bad "Not as good as FiOS"
Overall "It's my only choice, works ok"

My main grip is the wifi. I just use the wireless modem/router i ordered from Cox thinking it would be a good enough signal for a 1000sq ft apartment. It's not. It's actually terrible. Router is in the living room in the center of the apartment. Connectivity in the bedrooms is terrible and frequently not available at all.

Comments:

Review by mcd8595 See Profile

• Location: Fairfax,Fairfax City,VA
Good "The connection is typically available (got signal)"
Bad "The connection speed is highly variable"
Overall "Slower than expected for most of the day"

Have had this service for over 7 years. The ping tests three years ago averaged ~30 ms latency and the speed was reasonably consistent. Today the same ping tests are showing an average latency is 56ms using the same DSL Reports ping test. Two Thirds of that latency is inside of the COX network.

Bottom line is that my 15mb/5mb service has often given me 2mb/1mb service. For the most part it has been unusable during peak periods (pretty much all day).

Tech support is no help, they continue to report that there is no trouble in the network and the difficulties must be with my equipment. When I check the network from a different pop, (off the cox network), same result. The Cox network has lots of latency.

Ran a speed test, from this site, here are the results (rated speed is 15/5):

User's DNS: cox.net
Compared to the average of 175 tests from cox.net:
* download is 73% worse, upload is 50% better

Update 2/13/2012

Verizon was offering FIOS static ip w/ telephone for $110/ mo. Got it installed after several trials and tribulations 04 January. Got the first bill two weeks later for $170.00 for just telephone service. Called the business office, at least three times to get the billing adjusted down down to $74.00 for two weeks of service. Each time I called they gave me the assurance that this would be corrected for the next billing and that this was just a temporary aberration.

Today 13 February, 2012 I received another billing for the the same FIOS internet/telephone bundle for $210.00 ($100.00 more than expected).

COX may not have been the most robust service available, but they were consistent and the billing was always the same for 10 years! Verizon gives me a new appreciation for their competition. Perhaps it is time to switch back. Considering the cost of service, Cox is a bargain even with lousy tech support and so/so service.

27 December 2014 - Update

My Internet service from Cox was the business class service, fixed IP 15/5. For the last three years the service has been degrading. Other than a slow response from the Internet (slow page load times), my VOIP service was degraded. There were lots of dropouts where the other person could not hear me or I could not hear them. There were times when the call quality was so poor that I had to use a different carrier.

When I called Cox technical support, I would ask if any of the settings had changed, or if there was any issues with the service. They always answered “Nothing has changed, and there are no reported problems with the network. It must be that you have faulty equipment”.

More than once I had discovered that the router address had changed, or the primary DNS server was having issues or there are segments in the Cox network long response times (100 – 1000 ms).

I called to check on the cost of a “better class of service”. Yes I could pay $50.00 more to double my speed, if I signed a contract for 24 months. The early termination fee would be the number of months remaining multiplied by the monthly rate of the service. So if the service did not improve, I would still receive the same level of service for significantly more money for an additional 24 months. Being a good customer for over ten years was worthless, but as a new customer I could have all kinds of discounts and incentives and a promise of great service.

In October I took their advice, I got FIOS and I have not had the same issues since. I only ordered the Internet service, so the billing should be correct. I am still using the same voip service, and I have not experienced the same issues, nor have I experienced the same issues with the Internet response time.

Comments:

Review by smk11 See Profile

• Location: Pensacola,Escambia,FL
Good "Fast depending on time of day"
Bad "Late night maintence knocks connection offline way too much"
Overall "Ridiculously expensive or okay connection"

Sales is absolutely terrible when dealing with them. Your local competition? Cox sales will lie through their teeth about how their connection and service is terrible. It's so bad that it is laughable--and maybe even illegal with the ridiculous exaggerations they make.

Connection speeds are okay but holy crap is it expensive. For the price you would think uptime would be high, well you would be wrong. Maintenance or something happens like clockwork in the early mornings knocking the connection completely offline. It lasts about 2-3 weeks and comes just about every other month.

Overall, so long as you can deal with the early morning outages AND you can get a promotional 12 month rate, Cox is okay. Otherwise, pick something else.

member for 157 days, 122 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
chuckkk

join:2001-11-10
Warner Robins, GA

Cox & outages for maintaince

In Mid GA, the Cox web site will claim that the network is "normal",
even though it's down or limping along. First level and second level tech support varies
from sort of ok to abysmal. Trouble is that it's the only "high speed" game in town.
The other local providers are 10Mbps or less. (Cable, ADSL, etc.)

Review by UFO BOGIE 1 See Profile

• Location: Wichita,Sedgwick,KS
Good "Very Good Service, Very happy .."
Overall "Going to stay with them ..!!!!"

I had ATT. DSL, for about 4 years...., Just got tired of the run around. and the add ons, just time for a change. I had the 1.5 speed but the best thay could get me is 1.1 or 1.2 at the best.. So I went with Cox I've had it about 2 months so far,, so good.. I'm on the 7 mg speed now, but going to do the 3 months at $29.99, then go to the 1.5 speed at $26.99, I'm retired, can;t aford the good stuff,, plus I just do a little surfing and reading so that will work good for me. Will let ya know how it goes in a few months. Update 7/2/08...Very Happy with Cox.. Service has been very good... The 1.5 speed is alot faster than the 1.5 speed of the DSL that I had with ...ATT... Customer service has been real good & fast.. & get to talk to a real person faster too...... so I'm very happy with what I have.. Its 2/01/09 Been with Cox for awhile now.. very happy with the service.. I don't have any problems with them.. GOOD SERVICE..!!! Update 8/14/09... Still a Very good Service.. NO problems at all.. UpDate..8/14/11.. Well I left this area for 2 years. Went to the NW. part of Alabama, Had Comcast Service, it was a Bad...!! A lot of problems with the service, I am so glad to be back with COX.... BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK...!!!!!

Comments:

UFO BOGIE 1

join:2008-05-01
Wichita, KS

WATCH OUT..!!!

I've been with Cox around 6 years now.. You better kee an Eye on them thay will Double charge you ..if you don't keep a close watch... & getting your money back will be... Well ...!!! Let me put it this very hard & thay will put extra charges on ya..so watch it..!!!

Review by Mivoc See Profile

• Location: Mesa,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Fast download speeds"
Bad "Intermittent packetloss. Terrible technical support."
Overall "Internet connectivity is unreliable, somedays its great, somedays not so much."

Ongoing problems with internet connection makes it impossible for online gaming. I play a lot of online games and have a lot of packet loss issues to my first hop. I have had several techs come out, they never find issues and say the signal looks great. Yet I still have constant packet loss problems especially during peak hours and weekends.

Dealing with technical support is a nightmare. The technicians on the phone offer little more than basic assistance such as rebooting equipment. Anything beyond power cycling devices is a automatic onsite technician. Onsite techs only check problems inside the house and up to the pedestal it seems, anything beyond that is a ticket to yet another department. None of these departments seem to have any idea what the other is doing. It is impossible to follow up with them and find out what is going on.

If you live the in northwest Mesa, stay very far away from Cox.

Comments:

Review by AmericanLoco See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Fairly reliable, decent speeds"
Bad "Hideously expensive, "
Overall "It's probably better than comcast."

Cox is alright. It's really expensive for what you get and the cable TV image quality is really bad, even the HD channels. Way too much compression. OTA digital broadcasts look much better. The internet is ok, but does suffer from minor outages occasionally. Also, if you don't have a DOCSIS2 modem, they'll inject messages into websites you go on harassing you to upgrade to a DOCSIS3 modem on your own dime. Pretty shady practice there.

Comments:

Review by asiatrails See Profile

• Location: Owasso,Tulsa,OK
Bad "Slow service and bad support"
Overall "Used to be great, now not"

·Vonage
I am running the premier service which is supposed to have just been upgraded to 100 MB down and 10 MB up, I am not getting that level of service. Using Cox's preferred speed tester, 0.77Mb down and 11.4 up is the best I have gotten over the last week.

The upload speed is excellent and what I should be getting, the download is garbage. I just spent over two hours with a tech who was not even at the level of a script reader, this is not the type of internet service, or support, on which I spend money on. She was very hard to hear and told me she had her headset turned way down, frustrating !!!! Asked if she could arrange a technician visit and got a story about how she was in Alabama so I asked for a call back to schedule a technician visit, two hours ago and still waiting.

Went through all the usual steps, turn modem on/off, what light flash, reboot router, plug in laptop(s) for direct connection, check wireless settings, power levels and signal to noise rations on modem are good 35db minimum and power level of 5 db/mv maximum.

Problem looks like it is on the downstream line, and gets really bad after heavy rain, box flooding maybe???

Comments:

LazamairAMD

join:2001-03-14
Catoosa, OK

Check your splitters.

We experienced something similar to this, which required a service call. Since COX did their upgrades, they are using frequencies that are being filtered out by your splitters. If you look at the splitter and it shows 5-900MHz, then you need to get those swapped.
If at first you don't succeed, try a different screwdriver.
asiatrails

join:2014-09-06
·Vonage
·Cox HSI

Re: Check your splitters.

Thanks for the tip, Cox have been working in the area for the last week and service is crawling back up to where it should be.

I did get a call from a Cox tech who was going to be at my house to check the internal wiring in 10 minutes, no can do, I said, I have this thing called work to do.

Got a long saga about how customer service had set this up with me, they had not. Asked him to check the splitter on the box outside and he wanted to know if it had been installed by a Cox technician or a contractor. No idea as best I can recall the van had Cox on the side of it, sounds as if they all do.

Ended up he refused to come by to check it, told me to reschedule with customer service. I just spent over 30 minutes on hold, waiting, no answer.

Waiting for the next big rain to see if they have fixed the problem. I just want the service that I am paying for.