Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by Mivoc See Profile

• Location: Mesa,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Fast download speeds"
Bad "Intermittent packetloss. Terrible technical support."
Overall "Internet connectivity is unreliable, somedays its great, somedays not so much."

Ongoing problems with internet connection makes it impossible for online gaming. I play a lot of online games and have a lot of packet loss issues to my first hop. I have had several techs come out, they never find issues and say the signal looks great. Yet I still have constant packet loss problems especially during peak hours and weekends.

Dealing with technical support is a nightmare. The technicians on the phone offer little more than basic assistance such as rebooting equipment. Anything beyond power cycling devices is a automatic onsite technician. Onsite techs only check problems inside the house and up to the pedestal it seems, anything beyond that is a ticket to yet another department. None of these departments seem to have any idea what the other is doing. It is impossible to follow up with them and find out what is going on.

If you live the in northwest Mesa, stay very far away from Cox.

Comments:

Review by AmericanLoco See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Fairly reliable, decent speeds"
Bad "Hideously expensive, "
Overall "It's probably better than comcast."

Cox is alright. It's really expensive for what you get and the cable TV image quality is really bad, even the HD channels. Way too much compression. OTA digital broadcasts look much better. The internet is ok, but does suffer from minor outages occasionally. Also, if you don't have a DOCSIS2 modem, they'll inject messages into websites you go on harassing you to upgrade to a DOCSIS3 modem on your own dime. Pretty shady practice there.

Comments:

Review by asiatrails See Profile

• Location: Owasso,Tulsa,OK
Bad "Slow service and bad support"
Overall "Used to be great, now not"

·Vonage
I am running the premier service which is supposed to have just been upgraded to 100 MB down and 10 MB up, I am not getting that level of service. Using Cox's preferred speed tester, 0.77Mb down and 11.4 up is the best I have gotten over the last week.

The upload speed is excellent and what I should be getting, the download is garbage. I just spent over two hours with a tech who was not even at the level of a script reader, this is not the type of internet service, or support, on which I spend money on. She was very hard to hear and told me she had her headset turned way down, frustrating !!!! Asked if she could arrange a technician visit and got a story about how she was in Alabama so I asked for a call back to schedule a technician visit, two hours ago and still waiting.

Went through all the usual steps, turn modem on/off, what light flash, reboot router, plug in laptop(s) for direct connection, check wireless settings, power levels and signal to noise rations on modem are good 35db minimum and power level of 5 db/mv maximum.

Problem looks like it is on the downstream line, and gets really bad after heavy rain, box flooding maybe???

Comments:

LazamairAMD

join:2001-03-14
Catoosa, OK

Check your splitters.

We experienced something similar to this, which required a service call. Since COX did their upgrades, they are using frequencies that are being filtered out by your splitters. If you look at the splitter and it shows 5-900MHz, then you need to get those swapped.
If at first you don't succeed, try a different screwdriver.
asiatrails

join:2014-09-06
·Cox HSI

Re: Check your splitters.

Thanks for the tip, Cox have been working in the area for the last week and service is crawling back up to where it should be.

I did get a call from a Cox tech who was going to be at my house to check the internal wiring in 10 minutes, no can do, I said, I have this thing called work to do.

Got a long saga about how customer service had set this up with me, they had not. Asked him to check the splitter on the box outside and he wanted to know if it had been installed by a Cox technician or a contractor. No idea as best I can recall the van had Cox on the side of it, sounds as if they all do.

Ended up he refused to come by to check it, told me to reschedule with customer service. I just spent over 30 minutes on hold, waiting, no answer.

Waiting for the next big rain to see if they have fixed the problem. I just want the service that I am paying for.

Review by Rakeesh See Profile

• Location: Mesa,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Great reliability and speed"
Bad "Tech support are morons"
Overall "Good internet, bad TV"

·Sprint Mobile Br..
EDIT: Just an update (June 21st 2014)

About this time last year I unsubbed to TV entirely. No satellite either. I presently only subscribe to the 50/10 internet tier and it works quite well. The total bill, after all fees and everything, is $59 a month after a 20% discount that lasts an entire year. All things considered, I do believe Cox is ahead of the curve when it comes to ISP reliability and performance. While they aren't a Google Fiber, I do overall feel that the service is worth the price, but this is mainly because in the area I live in, the bar is pretty low.

Should another ISP ever come around, I'll update the review, but for now they're decent so long as you don't subscribe to their TV service. If you MUST have cable TV, I strongly urge you to consider satellite instead.

---Old review follows---

I am on the 27/5mbit package, and the internet connection itself is decent. However, to get a good price you have to bundle with another one of their services.

This is lame because their cable service is downright crappy. If DVRs existed in the 80's, they would closely resemble what cox has now. I think cox just figured "hey, they'll take whatever DVR we give them and won't know the difference" so they just picked the crappiest one they could find.

You'd figure "I could go cablecard and use my own DVR, right?" Well, sort of, but not really. They provide really crappy tuning adapters that are very flaky, so some of your channels can disappear at random. Plus, they blanket flag all channels as copy once, so custom DVR solutions (e.g. HTPC) will be near worthless if your goal is whole home functionality. Most cable providers don't do this, but if you have the misfortune of being with cox...well, I'm sorry.

Also their installers have no idea what the hell they are doing when it comes to cablecards. Had I not been a technically minded person, we never would have gotten them set up proper.

member for 2.9 years, 810 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
kfw

join:2001-11-20
Norman, OK

Cox Cable

The programing is terrible and I hate the 2006 DVR's they give us (with 2008 software). These people think we are idoits. I am fixing unbundle go for DIRECTV. At least I will have a better selections. The way they stack 3 progams and let you record only 2 sucks. COX NEEDS TO UPGRADE THIER EQUIPMENT). Sory I had to get that out.... COX TV = Garbage for progaming I paid good money to watch and have to watch again. It gets boring...
Rob_
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Re: Cox Cable

Agree, just don't expect direct tv to work in a rainstorm. Many people are returning their crappy hardware.

-Rob
Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
·Sprint Mobile Br..

Re: Cox Cable

I used to have directv, never had any issues with rainstorms unless they were REALLY bad, and even then the outage wouldn't last long. You can easily get around that problem by using a bigger dish. Up north (canada) they use 24" dishes just to get a proper signal at all on ku band. Just use one of those down south and you'll never have any problems.

I've had more cable outages with cox than I had with directv. That is, hardly any worth mentioning.

Also, directv and dish both offer VASTLY superior equipment to cox. Cox DVR's have a ridiculously slow user interface and all sorts of bugs. I think they picked the cheapest brand available and just thought "hey, it has the letters DVR, that means they'll love it no matter how much of a POS it really is."
kfw

join:2001-11-20
Norman, OK

Re: Cox Cable

Rakish, Thanks for your comment, my Dad has Direct TV and loves it so much he cut off the cable company providing him with all his services. He uses Radio Internet instead of AT&T DSL that never got fixed...

Local Cox keeps getting more expensive and more of the basic goes into the top set boxes... Cox's choices of DVR are just stupid. I know of technology that reads between the signals to gives your local and expanded services. I am watching cable companies suing these people. If the outcome is good, (we know the cable companies put an enormous amount of money resisting this.) We just might get what we want at a cheaper price. COX raised their prices here again and I am dreading just looking at the bill, much less paying it…
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Hold on.

That's a good deal on the internet.. Hold on when your discount runs out.

Review by palbri See Profile

• Location: Suffield,Hartford,CT
Good "Pricing"
Bad "Speeds, Modem, Customer Service, you name it."
Overall "Can't compete with Comcast; 15 years behind the standard"

I moved to a new area after having been a Comcast subscriber for almost 20 years. Cox is NOT Comcast. While pricing is competitive and slightly less expensive, the whole experience is underwhelming. I never achieve the rated 25 MB DL speeds and it is worse on wireless: half or slower with constant disconnects (I have changed modems/routers twice and even use an extender, which have also been replaced). Speeds decrease at night if not randomly. I even live in a less populated area. With Comcast, I NEVER had speed issues and even on wi-fi speeds were close to advertised speeds. I have hardwired the Smart TV and Box on Cox and speeds are improved but not stellar.

It appears Cox is where Comcast was 15 years ago: spotty and unreliable with poor Customer Service who can barely help you on the telephone.

Comments:
KnightAR

join:2004-04-22
San Marcos, CA

Post on the Cox forums here

As a fellow Cox costumer, I've once in a while ran into slowness, spotty issues with their service. As a Cox customer for over 20 years I've learned to know what to do when your having service issues. I've had problems over the years, but nothing Cox was not able to fix, and i've went years without issues. My suggestion:

First, Post on the Cox HSI forums on dslreports and have one of the Techs that frequents the forum look into the issue and to help you debug it. (They will ask you to PM them your Mac Address).

Second, If the tech support on the forum does find the issue he may tell you what to tell the people on the phone to fix it, or they may be able to fix it already on their end. If the problem still continues after speaking with a tech on the forum, Call Cox tech support (Press 0 to skip the machine trying to help debug the issue). Have them send out a tech guy to take a look at your line; It could be a single strength issue (they may need to boost the strength, or replace a cable or two). In my opinion, Cox is very helpful if you call and carefully explain the problems.
Artician LLC
Co-Founder
Artician Web Development Studios - »www.artician.net
Artician - Creative Network for Art, Graphic Design, & Photography - »www.artician.com

Hard Harry

join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Re: Post on the Cox forums here

How does Wifi have anything to do with a ISP? Thats your routers fault. And if you think Mb is MB, its no wonder you have to call support so much. Your review wasn't so much a review but a rant which is not very helpful.

rulds2008

@70.181.184.x

Re: Post on the Cox forums here

I don't feel it was a rant he said he was with Comcast witch was 14 years above Cox.. He explain what he was doing to fix it and so on. I feel your trying to Troll him into a negative conversation.
said by Hard Harry:

Review by Dogpatch See Profile

• Location: Harrison,Boone,AR
Good "Faster than Windstream."
Bad "Not nearly as reliable as should be."
Overall "When another high speed competitor arrives - I'm gone."

I have had Cox's Premiere service since the get go and have always had up and down service. Never smooth and steady. Have had service for nearly two years and have had several service calls probably averaging at least 1 per quarter. Techs can never provide a resolution. Have tried gateways from Netgear, Cisco, & different Netgear, all to no avail. I am very frustrated with Cox HSI and can't wait for another option.

Comments:

Review by tronester3 See Profile

• Location: Tulsa,Tulsa,OK
Good "Very good download speeds, I get 50mbps down, 10mbps up. Excellent latency as well."
Bad "Pathetic Data usage cap of 300 gigabytes per month."
Overall "Unfortunately they are the best option in Tulsa. Maybe Google will lay fiber."

I've had Cox for several years now. The speeds are a bit better than ATT Uverse from what I've seen. Every once in awhile I will have a connection issue where I will have to reset the cable modem.

Called up their sales as I needed to upgrade from preferred to premiere. Told Saleswoman I was thinking of switching to ATT. Asked what kind of discount I could get. She took off 30 dollars or so from the entire 175 dollar bill. Said that was the best she could do. Then told her to transfer me to the cancellation department. She then said she handled that. She asked if I wanted to cancel service immediately, I said no, set the disconnect date for two weeks from the day in order to have ATT service put in first. She immediately started backpedaling and dropped another 20 dollars off the price. Sketchy that they can lie to customers like that.

No latency issues for online gaming. Pings of sub 40ms are common.

For 25mbps, you will utilize your entire data usage allotment for the month in just under 24 hours assuming you max out your downstream connection. Obviously this isn't typically going to happen.

If you divide out 250 gigabytes over an entire month, your download speed would ACTUALLY be less than 1mbps. Pathetic if you think about it.

****New Review****

Several years later, here I am back to update. I just bought a new docsis 3.0 modem and cut all of my services except premier internet. I have no complaints whatsoever with the speed, which is now 50mbps down and 10mbps up. Low latency as well. What I am mad about are the data caps. My downstream is now double and upstream almost quadruple what they were, yet my data cap has only gone from 250 gigabytes a month to 300. I've already gotten emails from them that I am using too much of their precious bandwidth. They are the only option in town at this speed range (AT&T is 18/2.5 max) and cox knows it. I guess I will continue to stream my 4k netflix and use my online backup and keep getting notices from them until they actually threaten to cancel my account.

Comments:

Review by debbieandjon See Profile

• Location: Aliso Viejo,Orange,CA
Good "Reliable."
Bad "Price Gouge - holy crap!"
Overall "18 Mbps down / 2 Mbps up"

I have been with Cox@home since 1/2000. Forward to 12/2002... Packet loss makes my system crawl many times throughout the years. Before blaming my cable modem the technician changed every connection from the computer to the street and checked packet loss. Still there... After swapping my old Best Data CMX110 (one year warranty expired) for his Toshiba he found the problem. This time I bought the Toshiba PCX2200 with a 5 year warranty. In the past I have found the less experienced or lazy techs will say the problem is your retail modem without going through the obvious checkpoints.

8/2003... We are now paying an additional $3.95 "service ASSurance plan" to
cover our inside cable and modem. DSL will be a consideration in the near future
if we keep getting hit with rate increases. Besides, filesharing is no longer

allowed unless you have deep pockets... Boycott all RIAA products.

3/2004... Download speeds seem a bit higher through BBR speed tests. I haven't
had to use the "service ASSurance plan" yet. San Diego's plan is $2.95. Cox
will not give me a rational answer as to why Orange County is more money.

6/2005... Cox internet has been reliable. While service speeds have increased
the price remains the same. Although DSL is a better deal, I am still using Cox
because of the bundling discount.

11/2006... A price increase of $2.00/month when DSL prices are dropping! Download speeds were increased to 7000, but the upload speed of 512 remains
unchanged. I don't see much of a difference between 4000 and 7000. The TV ads and home mailings want you to believe that KOx is doing us a favor...

Thank you DSL Reports for the excellent service. (c:

05/2007... I am now getting 8000 for download and the upload remains the same at 512. After considering a move to another company, I called Cox to complain about the prices. They gave me a 6 month discount to keep me satisfied.

02/2008... Using a docsis 2.0 cable modem now. (Moto SB5101) Downloads are faster but the upload speed remains the same. The quality of service is still A+

08/2008... Another price hike! $3.04! The 7.25% increase is higher than the rate of inflation. The total with the ASSurance Plan is $48.94. The service is great but at what point will I say enough. Tough financial times call for the need to shop around.

02/2009... The price has remained steady. $44.99 plus $3.95 for the Cox ASSurance Plan. I test my speed on a regular basis. The service has been
reliable during the 4 to 5 hours per day it is used. Speeds: 12 down / 1 up minimum.

06/2010... Price hike to $46.99 plus $3.95 monthly for Cox's ASSurance that I won't be charged for service calls. The "PowerBoost" feature hasn't worked in a couple of weeks. My download speeds have decreased to 10 down / 1 up. Preferred tier.
UPDATE: Speeds were restored by a modem reboot that was recommended by a Cox expert on the forum.

06/2011... Another price increase. The "Preferred" service is now $50! The "we won't charge you extra if our Cox service fails" fee called Cox Service ASSurance Plan still remains $47.40 a year!

11/2011... Cox Service ASSurance plan had it's name changed to something more benign, Cox Service Protection Plan.

11/15/11... The Cox DNS servers were down. Phone service waiting time went from a busy signal to 45 minutes. The rude Cox Customer Service Representative would not provide a work around. See the Dslreports Cox HSI forum for other Cox fumbles...

2/14/12... Again, another price hike. $4.00 or 8% more, for Cox High Speed Internet Preferred. It's now $53.99 plus $3.95 for the Cox Service Protection Plan. (Customer service costs extra if you don't pay the monthly shakedown fee - now how is that fair?)

11/17/12... Speed increase from 12 Mbps / 1 Mbps to 18 / 2.

7/08/13... Cox Service Protection fee is $5.99 per month. $55.99 for preferred. 18/2. I was able to negotiate a lower rate for one year.

4/30/14... $61.99! WTF! I'm dropping the Cox Service Protection. If there is a problem and they want money I will use another service.

Comments:

Review by scorpio949 See Profile

• Location: San Clemente,Orange,CA
Good "customer service "
Bad "very expensive, worse value for your money "
Overall "I would switch in a minute if I could find the same speed anywhere else, your only choice for cable internet"

Purchased the premier internet speed says up to 50Mb/s but have never gone beyond 30. So emphasis on the "up to part".

Comments:
nmlobo

join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA

Worst value?

If Cox is the only option in your area, how could it be the worst value for your money? Since you say it is the only game in town, you have nothing to compare it too; doesn't that make it the only value? We have FIOS and Cox available at my home........guess what, the prices nearly are identical both over $70 a month for a 50m plan.
pkuzma

join:2010-11-24
Metairie, LA

Re: Worst value?

exactly... this review is terrible and should be removed.

Review by cdunnman See Profile

• Location: Roanoke,Roanoke City,VA
Good "internet"
Bad "speed for the money"
Overall "updated review 1/27/14"

we Have the preffered package at 25/5 the order process was smooth the modem is a Motorola SB5101

I been with cox for a total of 30 yrs, i think for the speed 25/5 is too high, I mean i atleast should get over 25/5 but there nothing i can do I guess.

but over all it is a great service, just not that great on the speed, and the price for how much they are charging

member for 287 days, 77 visits, last login: a few hours ago