Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by SlashG42 See Profile

• Location: Metairie,Jefferson,LA
Good "Fastest available in the area. Competitive prices."
Bad "Phone techs are sometimes technically ignorant."
Overall "Better than AT&T, which is the only competition in town."

·AT&T Southeast
Running Ultimate, I see speedboost downloads up to 195Mb/s for the first couple of minutes then down to 160Mb/s. It is that speed downstream any time of day I test it. That's Mbits, not MBytes.

Uploads are 30Mb/s at first and stabilize around 18-20Mb/s.

I'm content with it, but could always be faster. Currently it's the best deal the New Orleans area far as I know.

Order and install was good overall. The tech who was sent to the house was very competent and polite.

Running a Motorola Surfboard 6141 I bought myself after a 2-week-long string of random disconnects. Didn't help the disconnects. Those went away on their own. Guessing it was Cox messing with their network.

24x7 phone support is nice. They can't do a whole lot for you during non-business hours since billing and a few other offices are closed, but they can do basic troubleshooting, reset your modem, book a tech, etc. I have always gotten a tech out within 48 hours of calling, usually same day if I call before lunch.

The contractor field techs don't seem to do much besides replace connectors and splitters. As far as signal analysis and comprehending the modem's built-in diagnostic page, forget it. The Cox-employed field techs know their stuff though.

Do be aware Cox has caps now. So far, they don't enforce them much if at all.

member for 12.4 years, 1769 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Signal levels

Check your signal levels at 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.100.0
SlashG42

join:2002-02-13
Metairie, LA

Re: Signal levels

Signals are almost ideal. Always were.

Review by FFJOHNL312 See Profile

• Location: Pawtucket,Providence,RI
Good "No problems other than this know-it-all made for himself and not knowing enough about DOCSIS 3.0"

I am an ex-Verizon employee in a FiOS area but can not get it due to my landlord, and have a wife who was not happy with the upload speeds that 7M DSL could provide, so our broadband appetite had changed over the years.

No problems with it, other than using a low pass filter to block the MoCA signal for my router from getting back into Cox's network causing loss of the internet early in the morning. Once I took it off, all was well and have had no problems since.

UPDATE 7/25/14: I have since the initial review added telephone service from Cox as I left Verizon in 2012, and recently added their Contour DVR service. They upgraded my telephony modem to a Cisco DOCSIS 3.0 unit for free, and other than some kinks not resolved at the time of the Contour installation (none of the crimp-on connectors in my coax network were replaced), everything has been fine and steady. Unfortunately, still the only game in town as a result of my landlord.

member for 6.6 years, 2036 visits, last login: 4 days ago

Comments:

Review by rmoonin See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "Very fast and reliable"
Bad "It is expensive"
Overall "For business applications it is good"

I link my New Jersey office which has FIOS with my Nevada office which has COX HSI. Fios is running 25 up and down. Cox is running 50 down and around 8 up. The cost of around $120 is about the same. Yes this is very expensive but when your livelihood (accounting business) depends upon it then you bite the bullet and pay for it. I cannot see much of a difference between the two although I prefer FIOS as the throughput seems faster on the Verizon network. I wish we has fiber to the curb but that is generally only available at the Las Vegas casinos. There has been virtually no downtime on Cox. Installation was fast and professional. In the long run it has helped the business since I am able to access large tax files without any problems. Videocam between the two offices is not perfect but acceptable.

I am updating my review of Cox. For several reasons I upgraded to their Ultimate service. It is expensive but they are the only game in town offering 150 speed. Tech support is excellent. Installer was top notch. Reliability which is super important is there. Sure I have had to reboot the modem a few times but that is no big deal. I am waiting to see how fast Century Link will bring 1 gig speed over to Henderson,Nevada. Competition is good for everyone

Comments:
rmoonin

join:2000-08-05
Newtown, PA
·Cox HSI

Update on Cox

I use Cox Ultimate service and it has been a pleasure dealing with the. Speeds hit 180 which is terrific. I link my Nevada office and New Jersey office. Unfortunately in NJ I have to deal with Comcast which is horrible and have to contend with lower speeds and more importantly unreliability by Comcast. Yes it is expensive but when you are working with large data files you need that speed. Computer equipment is state of the art but in a commercial environment you do not cut corners. Cox tech support is excellent and I rarely have issues with them.
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Trace route

Would be interesting to see the trace route path between the two offices.. See where you data goes.

Review by Sikki See Profile

• Location: Smithfield,Providence,RI
Good "Blazing fast speeds"
Bad "e-mail not able to connect at times (but seems fixed now)"
Overall "Never thought I would say this but I love cable!"

UPDATE 07-14-2014

I have moved to Smithfield, RI and had no issues with the service. It never seemed to go down and the speed was very good.

I recently signed up for Contour and the install was pretty painless. Since the install I have had several outages and other issues with the cable. There are times where the service is down for a few hours or more. I know its not my equipment as I can't connect despite bypassing the router and direct connecting the modem to the computer. If things don't improve it will be time to look elsewhere.

**********************************************************************************************************************************

UPDATE 7-19-2550 There has been a speed upgrade done for me and I didn't have to pay a single penny for it. I did get a the new D-Link modem DCM-202 and the speeds have skyrocketed. Here is the latest speed test:
»/speedtests/51···21807830

It looks like I am moving to Mass. within a few months and am bummed that Cox isn't there. There was one night the mail was down and one other night of no service but other than that it has been fantastic. Wish I could stay with Cox in MA.

UPDATE 4-6-2005: Things continue to run smoothly. There was a few minutes of downtime but for only 30 minutes or so. I am very happy with Cox. I will have to move to Mass. in the near future and hope that Cox is my provider there too.

UPDATE 10-14-2004: Well I have moved from Arizona to Rhode Island and have Cox out here. The service rocked before but now with the additional speed I really love it. There was one time when my D/L speed was the same as the U/L but less than an hour later it was fixed. Pings for the game servers I play on are in the high 20's to low 30's. I've read some bad reports about Cox HSI in Rhode Island but not here.

When I ordered the service here I was able to keep my account name. The person who took the order over the phone said to keep things in my mail accounts with the west server. I didn't understand why I had to do that so I just went in and changed the servers to the east and have not had a problem with anything.

I have had high speed wireless, dial-up and DSL before getting Cox. I wasn't too pleased with their cable service and really didn't know what to expect with their internet service. I finally took the plunge and ordered it after going to a friends house and seeing how well Quake 3 Arena worked on Cox HSI. I got hooked up and almost right away had a problem getting synched up. I called and had a tech come out and after 10 minutes of digging in the backyard, the service was up and ruinning. The connection itself has been rock steady and I have had no problems with it at all. There has been some line work a few late nights but nothing to be upset about.

The only negative aspect is that once in awhile the e-mail server appears to go down for minutes at a time. It doesn't happen often but it does happen enough times to warrant mention. The outages are usually a couple minutes long. It happens 2-3 times a month.

The speed I get is balzing as mentioned above. I am going to be moving back east in a few months and see that Cox is the cable provider there so will be signing up as soon as I can.

Comments:

Review by Cignus See Profile

• Location: Tempe,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Always have full purchased speed at all times"
Bad "Seems pricey for the speed compared to other markets"
Overall "You won't be dissapointed."

Nov - 2005

I ordered COX 1 week before I moved into my new house. The sales guy was very straight forward with me and was able to answer all of my questions. That was a pleasant surprise from my last ISP.

My HSI and Cable were scheduled to be activated the day I moved into my house. Upon moving in I discovered there were no cable outlets in the house at all (There was a large amount of furniture from the previous owners and they said they had COX). I called COX and they scheduled for a 3rd party contractor to come out and run the lines. That would be the next day.

Next day comes, contractor installs the wires (two outside lines and a wall fish). I call up COX and register my modem. I'm told it will take a while for the HSI to register with my modem by tech support. I goto work and when I come home that night I've still not got a HSI signal. I call up tech support we go through the normal things... nothing is working. I request for a technician to come out. The schedule one for Friday afternoon (this is Tuesday night now)

Friday afternoon shows up and the tech arrives early (he called me ahead of time... both of which were pleasant surprises). I'm not sure what he did since I had a good signal to the modem over the cable line according to his equipment but after 10 minutes I was in business.

That was two months ago and I've been using the living daylights out of my connection with out a problem.

I do alot of gaming and the standard COX service is perfect for me (4 meg down 512 up). I would recommend COX to anyone who moves to Phoenix

==============================

THREE YEARS LATER.... Nov 2008

It's been just under three years that I've had Cox for Internet/Cable TV/ Phone and things are still moving along swimmingly. I upgraded to the "Premium" service level in the summer of '07 and that was a painless experience. I put in the upgrade request to the Cox via their website and I got a email back in 24 hours saying my account had been upgraded please reboot the cable modem.

All of my complaints are directed at their TV service, but this is not the forum for that. I would still recommend Cox internet to anyone who's moving to the Phoenix Metro Area.

===================================

SIX YEARS LATER..... Nov 2011

So now it's 2011 and I sold my previous residence and moved to a new house. The previous owners had used satellite for their TV and who knows what they used for internet. I called Cox to transfer service and wanted to get an additional line pulled for my home office so I requested a pro-install (the house was missing a couple of things for cox service so I figured I may as well have things done right the first time) I schedule my appt for Saturday morning at 8am.

The normal MO for cox is they call you about 15 minutes before they show up and they are 4 times out of 5 at the early end of the appt window in my experience. So 8 AM Saturday rolls around when I don't hear anything by 9:30 AM I call Cox to confirm they have the correct phone number on file and not my Cox phone number. They have my cell phone and I am still with in my appt window so I hang up. I get the 15 minute heads up call 2 minutes later...

So the tech shows up, he's a contractor but seems pretty knowledgeable (I showed him my set up and my basic plans and he made some suggestions to make my life easier which turned out to make my life easier (that's refreshing!!)) So he goes to make the connection and starts tracing the wiring in the house which he quickly describes as "a ghetto fabulous satellite install" pretty quickly he has another guy there toning out lines trying to figure out where the tap is in my neighborhood (that was a solid 20 minutes, turns out the taps in my neighborhood are all mislabeled... awesome!) they finally get a new line pulled from the tap to the house and do two wall fishes for my TV and cable modem so brand new wire across the board (bonus!).

When it's all done and said for HSI, Digital Cable (using a tivo and 2 way card with tuning adapter), and phone service. Total time is about 1.5 hours, not to shabby considering the wall fishes and messed up labeling.

My only gripe is that in my old house there was a box that went on the side of the house for the phone service. I now have one of those combo surfboardV 5222 modems instead of my Surfboard 6120, but that is a minor gripe since I only have the home line for spam calls anyway.

Not a bad experience and I continue to be pleased with Cox's services.

============================================

Almost 9 years later - June 2014

Still with Cox and still satisfied with the internet service. My usage profile has changed since I first got Cox. It used to be a ton of online gaming which has transitioned to a ton of streaming from various sites, with various devices, and always top quality from the service. I work from home 25% of the time and have never had a issue with speed or drops during the day that I've ever noticed (I use a IP phone and am on conference calls all day so I would defiantly notice).

I have made a ton of changes to my account I dropped phone in 2012 and TV in the first part of 2014 and haven't looked back. On the "premier" internet level I've had no problems. That being said I at most have one or two streams/downloads going and don't share my connection with a bunch of other people.

At this point in time I would still recommend Cox to anyone moving to the area. The area I'm living in is in the Google Fiber footprint (if Phoenix/Tempe/Scottsdale) is selected. So if Google Fiber happens I will be seriously evaluating my options.

Comments:

sam green

@68.2.105.x

how about elephant in the room - data caps

The price you pay for capped internet is egregious. Not just that - COX Communiactions are actively pushing people into ordering overpriced business bundles by capping internet. With the speed they provide it takes less than a day to exhaust it. It's a classic monopoly, when cable TV company also happens to sell internet. They are not interested in making people use more. They are not offering plan with double data for extra 5 bucks. "Increasing" data cap with buying next tier is but a gimmick: price is much higher, the data cap - just a little bit. And they are not offering you to only pay for data cap increase. What they are interested in is selling more TV subscriptions.

So while the service per se is pretty good, the business practices they have would make me get away from them the very moment viable alternative shows up.
thornnnn

join:2002-02-14
North Kingstown, RI

Re: how about elephant in the room - data caps

cox cap 250/300/400 GB .. verizon fios caps 10 TB .. its not even close.. you can hit cox cap in a few hours .. I have no idea how long it would take to hit verizons cap. I wonder what the caps are in japan or korea.. modern nations?

Review by m8trix See Profile

fast 32mb down / 7mb up.

=================================

preferred 31/6

member for 10.6 years, 3786 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Mordac See Profile

• Location: Newington,Hartford,CT
Good "speed and reliability"
Bad "pricey"
Overall "I've been getting good service since it was installed"

I've been getting good service since it was installed. No big issues and "pretty" reliable service.
Update 19 March 2010
I have been getting docsis3 speeds since Jan 2010 and have been pleased with the consistancy. I have had not had one dropped connection and when I did lose my bonded channels a tech was onsite and the problem was corrected within 6 hours.

Only addition is still pleased with speed
It stays consistent and is now getting even faster.
A little pricey but so far it has been worth it.

June 9.2014
Still getting consistent quality and no dropped connections,
upgraded to the Ultimate package to deal with heavier streaming video usage by the family

Comments:

Review by bokamba See Profile

• Location: Falls Church,Fairfax,VA
Good "Stable connection, installation was quick"
Bad "Defaults to ad-laden DNS, returning rented modem was inconvenient"
Overall "A good deal for the price I got"

Cox offers residents of my apartment complex a $30/month Internet-only deal (15 Mbps down/5 up). I think it's a lower price than we'd otherwise get in this area. It's month-to-month, which I appreciate, since I didn't want to commit to a long-term contract.

Installation was quick and professional. I initially used the all-in-one modem-router-WAP provided by Cox, but decided to buy my own cable modem and save the $7/month modem rental (which is in addition to the $30 monthly fee). Returning the rented modem was inconvenient because I had to return it to Cox's showroom, which was inconveniently located.

The connection is very stable and fast enough for my needs (Web, gaming, high-def online video). I haven't done thorough speed tests, though.

As with most ISPs, Cox's default DNS servers redirect mistyped URLs to pages of ads. But they also have normal DNS servers you can use.

Comments:

Review by JJG3 See Profile

• Location: US
Good "Lightning fast, great service"

·HughesNet Satell..
I have Cox for home internet, which is great. I ordered it for our business and they went out of their way to find the right package and pricing. A few days later, we were up and running. Speed is governed down to 100 MBps but spikes higher occasionally. Never lower than 100. The few calls I've had to make were simple and effective. And I can get to my account rep by email, no need to deal with different people every time.

Very solid.

Comments:

Review by nmlobo See Profile

• Location: Yorktown,York,VA
Good "Internet and system reliablity"
Overall "Everything works as advertised"

Internet is reliable and speed tests normally are at or above advertised levels. We have several internet connected divices, ipads, ereaders, frames, televisions, and computers that are constantly connected. I travel quite often so I especially appreciate the ease of logging onto my email account using the web interface. The few times I have had to contact support, the response was timely and the issue was corrected. I was not happy with the latest round of price hikes however Cox remains competative with FIOS which is available in my neighborhood. Long time customer (more than ten years).