Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by hokeye See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Fairfax,VA
Good "VERY FAST SPEEDS AS PROMISED -- EXCELLENT RESPONSE TIMES BY LOCAL TECHNICIANS "
Bad "NONE"
Overall "SERVICE HAS BEEN EXCELLENT --ROCK SOLID BETTER THAN ADVERTISED SPEEDS :-)"

I have been a customer of COX HSI for nine years and decided to update my prior review.

I LOVE COX COMMUNICATIONS HIGH SPEED INTERNET SERVICE !!!!! That pretty much sums it up.

I LIVE IN FAIRFAX COUNTY VA - COX SERVICE HAS BEEN ROCK SOLID FOR YEARS. [Over the past 3 years since my last review, there was one minor outage that was fixed within 30 minutes. There was a major outage during an extreme storm which left hundreds of thousands of electricity customers in the area without power for days. My power was restored within one day and Cox Internet was up and running when the power came back on

I had the need for one service call. The appointment was made for the next day before noon. The Cox Technician was here on time, identified and fixed my problem in under 5 minutes, [a loose connection in the cable box room on the floor of my building.]

When I have needed it, their24/7 telephone tech support has been excellent.

I need to move from my current home. Before I give serious consideration to a new home I first check with Cox to make certain that Cox services the area. I will not move anywhere in this state where I would not be able to have COX as my Internet provider. Their major competitor here is Verizon FIOS. I used Verizon 10 years ago. I detest Verizon. I'd rather live in my car than move to an area where Verizon would be my ISP.

I have recently been considering moving to the District of Columbia. I have recently been diagnosed with a painful medical condition known as Peripheral Neuropathy. Clinical studies have proven that one of, if not the best, sources for relieving the pain of Neuropathy is smoking Marijuana, As of Today, possession of up to two ounces of weed is legal on non-Federally owned lands in DC. It is legal to smoke and grow it in your home. Selling Marijuana remains illegal but I have yet to see anything saying that buying it is illegal. All of this info comes from a Press Conference given by The DC Police Chief on Monday.

So I had found an attractive, reasonably priced place for rent in DC. I just made some calls. Cox does does not service that area. Comcast would be my ISP. Gawd! I was just reading some reviews/complaints on one of the Comcast complaint sites. It is no wonder to me now why they are the most disliked corporation in the USA.

I'd rather suffer the pain of my Neuropathy than have Comcast as my ISP.

I do not watch TV, haven't owned a TV in over 18 years. I only use a cell phone. So I really am not that sensitive to the comparative prices of ISPs, but because I don't pay for cable TV or a phone landline I really don't care about the cost of my Cox service. I am retired and partially handicapped and constantly use the net. So for me the COX price for it's Premiere Service is a bargain.

IMHO, AT LEAST IN VA, YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH COX COMMUNICATIONS FOR YOUR ISP. THE SERVICE COX HAS PROVIDED TO ME HAS BEEN TERRIFIC !

[This is an update to a review I posted a few years ago]

Comments:

Review by silentdisco See Profile

• Location: Surprise,Maricopa,AZ
Good "faster downloads and more reliable uploads compared to an equal cost centurylink plan"
Bad "should have switched later as the difference between preferred and premier for new subscribers is only $10 currently. "
Overall "I had centurylink and switched to cox. for my location, cox has a better internet product at a lower cost!"

Package: Preferred package (50 up/ 10 down) $50 for service and another $9.99 for renting their wifi modem. we also have phone thru cox but not TV (happy directv user for 5+ years). we switched from centurylink because their internet service was not reliable here in Surprise, Arizona. we had the max centurylink internet package (40 down/ 5-10 up IIRC) and frequently hit the download speed but rarely the upload... common uploads were in the .5 to 1 megabit per second range. technicians frequently tried to fix it but couldn't so we switched to cox. we pay less now for faster internet that is more reliable! currently we frequently hit 60 megabits per second down on download speedtests outside of cox's own speedtest.

Install: install and ordering process regarding internet service was fine. in hindsight, I wish they would have told us to to wait because of the current deal for new subscribers and cox's premier plan but cox is a business and I was ready to switch from centurylink so I don't fault them for that. technician that came out was friendly, knowledgeable and polite. only issue with the switch was in regards to our phone service but it wasn't anything cox did or didn't do more so of centurylink dragging their feet in releasing our number so cox could port it. we got our number ported eventually but it took 2 weeks. cox actually gave us a temporary landline number so we (my wife actually) could still use the house phone until our number got ported properly.

Equipment: renting a Netgear CG4500BD which is a dual-band wireless router/modem. I'm somewhat knowledgeable with routers/modems and for a cox provided gateway (Netgear CG4500BD) this works pretty good. We have 3-4 ios devices that are usually connected simultaneously to the gateway wirelessly, a PC hardwired and a PS4 that connects wirelessly for gaming/netflix from time to time and haven't (knock on wood) had any problems with connectivity, speed, gaming or streaming. the dual-band wifi router works admirably on all of our wireless devices. Obviously if you have the time, the knowledge and money buying your own modem and router is better from a maximum performance perspective but at the plan we're on I think you just need something that works consistently. if we upgrade "up" to the next internet plan (premier) I'd probably recommend buying your own modem & router as the cox supplied gateway is very limited to what the user can configure.

Other Thoughts: I have hard time hearing anyone on the phone but a positive to me is everytime I've contacted cox I've spoken with someone who speaks American English (or at least does a good job of faking it). speaking with centurylink was hard because most the time I had a hard time understanding the person I was speaking to as their English was not their native language. I'm happy with cox but we only really have 2 options currently in Surprise, AZ and cox is definitely the better ISP of the two based on quality of product and price. would recommend cox over centurylink as ISP to anyone in Surprise or Sun City area. only regret is we should have switched later as the difference between the preferred and premier package for new subscribers is now only $10 a month more...to switch now it would be $25 a month more

Comments:

Review by butchie See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "great"

After almost 3 years year with Cox, landline, cable tv and internet. Speeds have doubled over the years
approx. 50-60 mb/s downloads, 10-15 mb/s upload
Customer service is great
Wireless is still very strong
cable has everything I need.
One home tech visit for an outside damaged junction. Not bad for three years.

member for 14.1 years, 4885 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
rbmonical

join:2012-06-18

I agree - Cox is expensive but fast and reliable

I went a long time with no outages with Cox in Omaha.
There have been a few here in Phoenix and the NOC did not know what was going on. No outages for a couple of months now in Goodyear - SW valley
butchie

join:2000-12-29
Phoenix, AZ

Re: I agree - Cox is expensive but fast and reliable

Speeds still great. All's well here.............
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Never had a issue with speed

I've had cox for internet for the past 10 years in the Phoenix area.. Never had an issue with speed. Cox phone is ok.
Cox TV is fair. Directv is much better. High Def is clearer and I have the channels I want with Directv.

gamer101

@cox.net

Internet

I have had cox 1 yr .. Play lots of games etc.. Constant drops, Lags, bad customer support, At least every other month some one comes out to try and fix and says its our problem.. NO one knows why our internet drops on one computer and only one computer have gone thru 3 of their modems 2 of mine and they always blame it on the modem If Cox wasn't the only provider that supported good enough internet to game I would have switched already !!!!

Review by dlarkin_dc See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Fairfax,VA
Good "Internet speeds stable and consistely close to plan limit."
Bad "Personable but ineffective tech support, poor DTV quality (dropped after 1 year)"
Overall "Okay for Internet."

·VOIPO
UPDATE 1/24/2015

Been on Cox Preferred internet plan for 12 years. The speed is now 50/5mbps. In tests I see a very steady 43mbps. The reliability of internet is great, outages are extremely rare... only two on the last 12 years. The speed and low latency makes for great streaming, Netflix HD (8.3mbps), VUDU HDX, Amazon HD never have an issue and should be capable of streaming 4K/UHD.

The Preferred plan data cap has been dropped from 300Gb to 250Gb, though I rarely go much over 50% despite streaming 90% of my TV viewing.

I can't say it's been all rosy with Cox e-mail service. That's been a roller coaster ride the last year, with outages, login problems, and e-mails delayed. It's flaky/patchy and I'm not happy with it - though it's never been a critical issue either. There's ongoing threads about these e-mail issues in the Cox HSI forum, but it's long past due being resolved by Cox.

UPDATE 6/2/13

Been seeing Netflix Super HD on our devices and (after Neflix fixed some glitches) that has been working fine.

Also, about that free McAfee software... I've dropped it for AVG after McAfee let bad virus in and I found four others after rebuilding my OS.

UPDATE 4/11/13

Just received a price hike on the internet, an extra $4 / month. I'm still on Preferred listed as 15/2 (SpeedTest.net usually tests 17-20/3 over the last few years) and I've never had bandwidth issues, even streaming Vudu HDX.

UPDATE 1/31/2011

Dropped all television from my plan today and keeping the internet service only.

Why? Two reasons:
(1.) Picture/Sound Quality - I was fed up with the picture and sound quality issues due to compression and distribution problems. Shows from streamed or by antenna have crisp and clear picture and sound quality.
(2.) "57 channels and nothing on" Syndrome. Well, maybe 300 plus channels, but we watch a handful of shows a week. All but two are available OTA, the others are streamed online free or 99c an episode.

So that I guess that takes me to a 3rd reason...
(3) I'll be cutting $82 from my bill, a cost I don't need for my television viewing habits.

No regrets. In fact, I'm excited to be seeing shows clean and clear again, for free.

UPDATE 11/8/2010

A month after finally getting a real body (a tech with a face, name and cell#) assigned to the ongoing PQ issues... nothing has been improved. In four weeks only one frequency/channel has been addressed and so far without improvement. All other channels are still experiencing minor but annoying problems.

As I now know how Cox address these issues, on a per channel/frequency basis, I am keeping a log of the channel/frequencies and PQ issues when they appear... six regular offenders and counting. l'll be a lot older and greyer before this is resolved at the rate Cox gets things done. My tech told me he escalated internally and suddenly things happened. That it had to get to that stage is a sad reflection on Cox field service/response in my area.

Simply put, there appears to be a significant distribution problem in my neighborhood for HD DTV services from Cox.

I expect I'll be switching to FiOS, or a combination of OTA/ClearQAM/IPtv in the next couple of months to get better PQ and save money to boot!

The internet has never been to problematic, so I'll probably keep that.

UPDATE 9/26/2010

It's been a few weeks since the last tech visit, so far ABC/NBC/Fox and major network stations are always fine but I am seeing infrequent snow/microblocks on every other channel at any time of the day or week. The Wed to Sat picture quality degrading is just as bad but non-network stations, BBC/SyFy/WDC are horrible. The way-out-wacky jitter seems to have gone too, better for my VOIP.

I expect I'm seeing a band-aid solution to local newtork load/congestion. Or maybe the change is the neighbors migrating to fiber

I've shaved my ratings back to reflect the current situation.

UPDATE 9/15/2010

On the internet I am seeing the same performance now for months, and it is acceptable, with a few caveats. Occasionally the DNS goes offline, I'm getting outrageous jitter so it's affecting my VOIP.

Worse still my DTV service is prone to breakups and freeze-ups on Wednesday through Saturday, 9am to midnight. The tech support has gotten very poor, a tech came out to my house said everything was perfect, but snipped off and remade every connection and then blamed the model of my STB. He said Cox didn't have any replacements but he'd get one for me when he could. So what... leaving me with unwatchable TV four days out of seven? Tech support on the phone will only reset by STB, and that does no good.

The service I'm paying for has gone from, "Eh, but I can live with it." in December to, "I am so ready to switch to FIOS." in the last three months.

UPDATE 3/26/2010

Seems like the spotty performance is gone, and I'm now bonding 3 channels. Whenever I test I'm usually seeing data rates about 11/3 (the plan is up to 12/5) so it's carrying Skype and VOIP without any problems.

Calls to Cox... I still get some great phone staff on the phone, clear talking, helpful, great attitude, but the grouches are taking over 2:1, IME.
Call wait times have been getting longer too.

I have added digital cable TV to my plan 3 months ago. That review is still in progress... oh, so not smooth sailing.

UPDATE 1/22/2010

In the new year I upgraded my modem to Surfboard 6120 and I'm seeing two channels bonded. Initially I saw snappier loading of web pages and large downloads are quicker. But,over the few weeks I have been seeing the up/downstream signal levels and SNRs drift about, sometimes close to acceptable limits. Sometimes I get nothing when a page should load and spotty performance. I am keeping an eye on this.

UPDATE December 2009

Having called in to verify the costs, to compare to FiOS, for digital TV Cox offered same cost as I was at gateway, 2 tiers and a HD DVR. I snapped up that deal and took the plunge. So far the picture quality has varied wildly and the DVR performance is barely adequate. I'll post a full digtial television review when I'm done figuring it all out.

ORIGINAL REVIEW

Been a COX HSI customer for close to six years... I picked up a modem/service pack (a Motorola Surfboard and 50ft of co-axial cable) at Circuit City. I just hooked it up at home, phoned Cox to activate the service and I've been online almost non-stop since - we've only had two short outages!

FYI - We're on our second Surfboard now, they do have a lifespan.

The COX support people are friendly but the tech support is best when guided by a geek (me, in this case) who knows what needs to be fixed otherwise you'll be chasing down blind alleys, but all tech support has gone that way it seems.

I think, when I started using COX HSI, the speeds were 5/2. COX always upgraded the speeds for consumers as the higher speeds became available. The currently cited speeds are up to 12/5 and that is what we usually see using Speedtest.net

The McAfee VirusScan Suite that you can get free as COX HSI subscriber is worth about $50 in software and $20/yr in virus scan updates.

I get the HSI bundled with the cable analog TV service from COX and the cost of the combination is begining to be be uncompetitive, at $103/mo. For a little more I can get Verizon Extreme HD and 50/20.

Comments:

Review by rmoonin See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "Very fast and reliable"
Bad "It is expensive"
Overall "For business applications it is good"

I link my New Jersey office which has FIOS with my Nevada office which has COX HSI. Fios is running 25 up and down. Cox is running 50 down and around 8 up. The cost of around $120 is about the same. Yes this is very expensive but when your livelihood (accounting business) depends upon it then you bite the bullet and pay for it. I cannot see much of a difference between the two although I prefer FIOS as the throughput seems faster on the Verizon network. I wish we has fiber to the curb but that is generally only available at the Las Vegas casinos. There has been virtually no downtime on Cox. Installation was fast and professional. In the long run it has helped the business since I am able to access large tax files without any problems. Videocam between the two offices is not perfect but acceptable.

I am updating my review of Cox. For several reasons I upgraded to their Ultimate service. It is expensive but they are the only game in town offering 150 speed. Tech support is excellent. Installer was top notch. Reliability which is super important is there. Sure I have had to reboot the modem a few times but that is no big deal. I am waiting to see how fast Century Link will bring 1 gig speed over to Henderson,Nevada. Competition is good for everyone

My office in NJ uses Verizon FIOS and here in Las Vegas we continue to use Cox Ultimate. We have been using a standard service like gotomypc.com. The quality and ping of the connection is excellent. Virtually no downtime with Cox. Once in a while I have to restart the modem but that is done when updating Windows products. No big deal. Essentially you get what you pay for.

If you have to link offices you really need to at least 50 at both ends. Both Cox and FIOS are good companies and you get what you pay for. You are not going to get high speeds for $40 bucks a month. Running a business requires an expenditure for quality internet service and quality computers at both ends. You spend money to make money.

Comments:
rmoonin

join:2000-08-05
Newtown, PA
·Cox HSI

Update on Cox

I use Cox Ultimate service and it has been a pleasure dealing with the. Speeds hit 180 which is terrific. I link my Nevada office and New Jersey office. Unfortunately in NJ I have to deal with Comcast which is horrible and have to contend with lower speeds and more importantly unreliability by Comcast. Yes it is expensive but when you are working with large data files you need that speed. Computer equipment is state of the art but in a commercial environment you do not cut corners. Cox tech support is excellent and I rarely have issues with them.
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Trace route

Would be interesting to see the trace route path between the two offices.. See where you data goes.

Review by jchambers28 See Profile

• Location: Alma,Crawford,AR
Good "50/10 service is really fast better than centurylink "
Bad "Not goole fiber expensive for what u get capped installer was a asshole."
Overall "if ur stuck in a centurylink area this is ur only real option. "

I have had service for 3 days not seems to be stable. Good speed 50/10 really fast. I had a installer the was a complete asshole with a bad attitude to go with it. Glad I did the self install option. the service is so far so good.

member for 7.8 years, 4152 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Laszlo See Profile

• Location: Ocala,Marion,FL
Good "Reliable connection, good introductory pricing"
Bad "Horrendously incompetent install techs, required multiple visits"
Overall "With the slowest speed, DSL was actually faster, but bundling is cheaper"

After visiting my 82yo grandmother in April, I found she had been paying $77/mo for home phone AND $33/mo for her _long distance_ provider. I bought her an Ooma and set up $4/mo VOIP service, which doesn't charge her 5 cents/min to talk to her grandkids. Unfortunately, I was 1000 miles away when we realized her internet was provided by her phone company and the Ooma number port would terminate her CenturyLink DSL, thus cutting off her VOIP phone too. I hurriedly arranged for Cox internet (her existing cable TV provider) to be set up, and ordered a cable modem and router for her from Newegg (to avoid an $8/mo modem rental fee).

Trying to leave enough time for the package to arrive first, I scheduled the install for May 2. Unfortunately, the confirmation email listed April 30 instead (it was 12:30 AM on the 30th). This would be a problem. I started a chat with Cox to try to correct their error, but the CSR said it would be impossible for her to fix it. I'd have to do that by phone at 8:00 AM, before the install window. After a stressful sleep, I sorted it out in the morning.

However, it turned out that the install tech was incompetent and wasn't able to complete the install that Friday. Despite listing the requirements in my online order (running a cable to her sunroom and likely installing a wall jack), the Cox guy came unprepared to do that. After 3 days of no phone or internet service, Cox was able to get her hooked up. Yet this time, they did a sloppy job, leaving the cable hanging off the outside wall and creating a tripping hazard in the yard. My grandmother (who had cracked her hip after tripping on a garden hose last year) called many times to complain, and I think it took a couple more visits before it was tidied up for her.

Following the install though, everything seems to work fine. Calls from her are usually good quality. Though sometimes scratchy, which might be the Ooma, or because she chose the slowest 1 Mbps option for internet. It is cheap though. $15/mo for the first year, and $30/mo thereafter. I'm visiting again currently, so paid $5 to bump up to 5/1 Mbps (promo possible for 6 months, but can be downgraded with no penalty to the $15 promo when we head home). 50/5 speeds would be $63, 100/10 would be $74, and 150/20 would be $100, if she had the need, which is cheaper than I get in PA.

Comments:

Review by amungus See Profile

• Location: Manhattan,Riley,KS
Good "fastest available in area"
Bad "recent troubles with consistency"
Overall "usually very good"

·KCH Cable
Update: 10/23/2014

50Mbps since a few months ago. Bill is just north of $60/mo.
Consistently get advertised speed, sometimes a bit more.
Max available in area is now 150Mbps (two tiers above where I am now, still on "preferred")
Next lowest drops all the way from 50, to 5Mbps for a small amount less per month.
Latest DOCSIS 3.0 modem (8x4 channels, I believe) has been steady for over a year, and has paid for itself instead of renting one. Hoping it's useful for a good amount of time. Cox service still good, though price has crept up over the years.

---
Update - Sep. 5th 2013:

Back to Cox since around June 2013. The house had a rental modem/router combo unit (Cisco, I believe) and speeds were inconsistent, as was wireless stability. Replaced with a modem that I purchased, and new router. Speeds stable and consistent ever since. Wired connection was slightly better on the rental, but it's nice to own my own stuff, and I prefer to have a router that I can tinker with a little bit.

Currently on the "preferred" plan (25Mbps I believe) and speeds are consistent.
Their fastest plan is 100Mbps, I think. "Powerboost" allows for 188Mbps, so I have heard.

It's good to be back.

---

I've had Cox internet since 2002. When I first signed up, I was on the 3Mbps "preferred" package and would get 4.4Mbps most times. Since the upgrade to 4Mbps, I got 4 down, and 512kbps up, which was good.
At that address, they were great. Not only was the service good, their support was awesome. Any problems were solved quickly and by friendly people.
One day a line was snagged by a passing truck, and they had people out there fixing it that very same day, and double checking every point on the road. Techs were always friendly and took pride in their work, and for good reason.

At my new address, I signed back up with them, on the standard "preferred" service again. Things went smoothly, and speeds were consistent.
After about a month, I had to go to the "basic" 256kbps up/down for financial reasons. It worked, barely. I suffered through it, and was still able to surf web pages fairly well.

Recently, I opted for the "premier" package because of a promo offer for 3 months at $40.
I have yet to see 9/1 speeds. Upload has been mostly consistent, at 1 Mbps, but download speeds have been nothing short of horrible. Sometimes, in the early morning hours, I can see 5Mbps, but this is NOT what I am supposed to get.
After numerous calls, and troubleshooting, the issue is still unresolved in my area. The last tech mentioned that my modem might be bad, so I might try a new one. We'll see. From the forum talk, I gather that something bigger is to blame, so I can't say that the local folks are really at fault here yet.

Speaking of the modem, I went with one that they wanted to loan me. Instead they offered a very nice option that I did not know about at the time.
Monthly payments on it. For 4 months, I paid it off about $14 at a time. This was very nice since I didn't want to drive down to a local store and plunk down however much all at once.

Since these troubles, I must say I'm slightly disappointed at the level of service though. Phone techs have been good and bad, but none of this is their fault, and really they can't do a whole lot other than dispatch a tech. Sure they tested my signals etc. but were rather unhelpful the last time I called...
The service tech who tested everything was about my age; young adult. Very knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. He informed me that there was nothing really wrong on my end, and that there wasn't much he could really do.

If the speeds return to 'normal' I'll be a happy camper, but for now, I'd rather have a reliable 4Mbps than this flaky "premier" service which has been horrible.
Download speeds in the evening hours have varied from 2.5Mbps down, to 512kbps down. Very inconsistent to say the least.

Still a good isp for the area, and the people are great. At this point, my patience is running thin, so I may yet consider DSL even though I'd rather not have to get a phone service with that. Either way, as long as the service is consistent, it really is unbeatable around here, so if you go with them, and they're sailing along smoothly, you should be just fine.

UPDATE - 2-27-06
The premier rocks. Finally got the 9/1 package, and can sometimes get 11Mbps!!! My internet goes to '11'!!! Still a lot slower at nights on occasion, but that's because there are tons of college students in my area, and that's just how cable works sometimes. Hey, no complaints here after things got updated. It has become more consistent, and that's all that matters right now.

UPDATE - 12-1-06

Back to "preferred" service for the past several months. Speeds have been very consistent, and I've only had a couple of very short outages that never really affected me. Upload is 512Kbps, Download is now 6Mbps as per a recent upgrade. I've seen speeds nearing 7Mbps at times, but it's usually more consistently around what they advertise at 6Mbps, which is plenty fast for me. The bump for me is reason enough to stay on the preferred instead of spending any more money on "premium" services, though the premium is pretty fast!

Overall, Cox is still doing pretty good w/their internet service around here, and the speed increase is a nice bonus. As long as it's consistent, I'm happy.

------------

UPDATE 7-2-07

Well I've been "upgraded" to whatever the latest speeds are now 6-7Mbps I think, and things are going well for the most part.

No recent disconnects or REALLY bad speed drops like before. Things have just been, well, stable for the most part.

Every once in awhile I do a speed test, and have got some incredible "boost" speeds of up to 22Mbps! ..Granted, those don't last very long, but sustained download speeds have been up to 1.5Mega BYTES per sec! ...Avg. is more like anything from 800KB/sec to 1.2MB/sec.

They must've changed some things at their office, because things have been mostly stable.

Only weirdness is that my IP address has changed a couple times, once it was to some address that was in/near Louisiana if I recall...

Still a fair deal around here as long as you can get a stable link. DSL is nowhere close to their speeds though it is usually a bit more reliable in the long run.

Comments:

Review by intel1212 See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "Reliable, good tech support (Cox techs participate in forums here..)"
Bad "Really none, except my perception that the price is high -- no "
Overall "Reliable, fast -- seems to be better value then Embarq"

·VOIPO
UPDATE 9/27/2014:

Still with Cox. They raised prices, then raised speeds (have the Moto SB6121). Still only using service for IP connectivity. Have had a couple of problems, but support has been very good from Cox. Example of support includes calling for assistance earlier this year on a Saturday and tech came on-site to house ~2 hours later (their problem with cabling between house and their network).

UPDATE 7/11/2013:

Still using Cox HSI, no phone or TV services. Moved to new ASUS NT-66U router using standard ASUS firmware. Still great performance from Cox and my overall home network. I did downgrade my service from Premier to Preferred, going from $68 to $55. I constantly get ~30 Mb down, ~6-8 Mb up. That is plenty for me. Still think the price is on the high side, but again, no "real" competition in the LV/Henderson market (please, Centurylink users -- there is no comparison in speeds, period). The tech support on dslreports.com forums is outstanding. There are a couple of techs that monitor and answer questions.

*******************************************************************

UPDATE 1/16/2012:

I only use Cox services for IP (no phone or TV services). Moved to a Linksys router WRT54GS, running Tomato USB and also have a Motorola SB6120 modem. 2 major benefits of this move. 1) Faster download and upload speeds, and 2) much, much more stability in my Voip services -- IF there are some type of network issues (whereas before, I had to always reboot my Voip adapter). The stability of the Voip service I attribute to the Tomato USB OS on the router -- Highly recommend this version. Had a few connection/reconnect issues last spring, but tech support fast fast, quick, sent tech out and re-provisioned all cable connectors from my house to street -- solved problem. Highly suggest using dslreports forums to report/discuss issues you might see, excellent resource of information from all members here. Overall, happy with Cox IP services. Feel price for premier level is on the high side (and they just raised the price $1 from $63.99 to $64.99), but there is really no other competition in town for the speeds I am seeing.

Comments:

Review by N10Cities See Profile

• Location: Fort Smith,Sebastian,AR
Good "Fairly consistent speeds, friendly customer service"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Very fast service, compared to other solutions locally."

Currently using the Cox Bundle.

Phone quality is excellent, TV picture quality is great with no pixelation encountered so far at any time of the day. Currently subscribed to Premier Internet tier and am getting very consistent up and download speeds at most times of the day.

I have heard we have DOCSIS 3 service now, but need to save the greenstamps to get a compliant modem so I can enjoy the new speeds, but currently using an Arris eMTA which is working very well for me..

Update! 3/30/11. Upgraded to the Cisco 2850 Gateway device so I would be DOCSIS 3.0 compliant (still running Premier) and it REALLY boosted my speeds. Last test on Speedtest.net was 62 Mb down / 5.5 Mb up.

Recently got an HD TV and upgraded one receiver to HD (no DVR). Picture quality has been excellent.

Highly recommended service!

Update 10/5/12

No changes. Service still rock solid...

Update 9/16/14

Currently using Ultimate Tier and no TV. Consistently pulling 170-180 Mb/sec on speedtest (i know, i know, boost...but still fun to watch). Streaming Netflix works perfectly with no lag as well as high throughput downloading content from Steam, Origin, etc. Highly recommended.

member for 12.8 years, 5276 visits, last login: a few hours ago