Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by nmlobo See Profile

• Location: Yorktown,York,VA
Good "Internet and system reliablity"
Overall "Everything works as advertised"

Internet is reliable and speed tests normally are at or above advertised levels. We have several internet connected divices, ipads, ereaders, frames, televisions, and computers that are constantly connected. I travel quite often so I especially appreciate the ease of logging onto my email account using the web interface. The few times I have had to contact support, the response was timely and the issue was corrected. I was not happy with the latest round of price hikes however Cox remains competative with FIOS which is available in my neighborhood. Long time customer (more than ten years).

member for 11.4 years, 2460 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by pholdy See Profile

• Location: Lemon Grove,San Diego,CA
Good "Never had a problem with my internet"
Bad "MY HD T.V. was unreliable for 6 months. Finally called them and they sent a tech and fixed the problem with a new box."
Overall "Works as advertised"

COX utimate package..

Kinda expensive, but worth it!

Comments:

Review by ikyuaoki See Profile

• Location: Wichita,Sedgwick,KS
Good "Ultra fast broadband!"
Bad "nope."
Overall "load balance & super fast performance scaled"

my ultimate tier is super fast since the tweaking both my router and my computer of settings (network settings/network registry settings) is worked.

Comments:

openupshop

join:2000-11-25
Chandler, AZ

Windows Tweaks

What tweaks did you make to obtain those speeds?

ikyuaoki

join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS
·Cox HSI

Re: Windows Tweaks

It can be done with windows 7 command prompt parameter settings to change the TCP parameters just like as TCP doctor.

Also you may want try to disable both flow control ethernet, QoS packet scheduler for best performance of your an internet without being a interruptted and you may want to disable the nagle algorithm under the registry editor by adding some parameters if you are a gaming that some games are running over the TCP port rather than using UDP port.
tommytomthms

join:2006-10-07
Pittstown, NJ

What speeds? What package are you on?

are you on the 50+ meg package?

ikyuaoki

join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS
·Cox HSI

Re: What speeds? What package are you on?

I'm on premier tier, depends range from 35Mbits to 85Mbits (powerboost for few seconds) downstream that I'm on bonded four channel downstreams and I'd say they are great a superfast and also I gets no lags for my gaming that due my own special configuration settings includes registry settings for TCP and ethernet settings a stuff.

Review by johnpd See Profile

• Location: Green Valley,Pima,AZ
Good "Very Reliable; Good price for the speed."
Bad "DNS server issues"
Overall "Good value for what you get"

I have the "Preferred" service for $44.95/mo. Moved into a new home a little over a year ago. Got the bundled cable/Internet/phone services. I had no problem with the order and install process. I provided my own modem (Motorola SB5120). I had an initial problem for several months where the Internet would drop out on me and the only way to get it back was to power cycle the modem. I found out that the version of firmware in my modem was sensitive to noise and that a newer firmware corrected that. I called Cox Support and requested an update. The support agent said that Cox does not do that. Well several hours later, a firmware update came down from Cox to my modem. Except for that experience, I have had pretty good experiences with support. I have had some dropped speed issues a few times. That seems to be more common up in the Phoenix area. I suspect Cox was doing some work in the area.

Update: 01/23/2010

I have had very few issues with Cox now. I was upgraded to the "Premier" package (however it cost me an extra $10). Premier now costs me $59.95. Several months ago, Cox apparently upgraded our area. I noticed an increase in my SNR. I used to have signal numbers around 34-35. I now get numbers consistently around 37-38 with Download Power levels in the low single digits and Upstream Power levels in the low 40's. Those are the best signal numbers I have ever had. I receive download speed numbers many times in the low 30mbs at Speedtest.net. The one issue I (and a number of others) did run into was trouble with Cox's DNS servers. I would frequently get "page not found" errors even when I was within the same domain. I switched to OpenDNS and have had no problems since then.

Update: 12/15/2010

Several months ago I started having problems with my 4yr old SB5120 modem. I was about to replace it with another of the same model when I received a letter from Cox indicating they were about to upgrade the area to DOCSIS 3. I decided to purchased a SB6120 modem instead of a SB5120. After installing the new modem, I got an immediate improvement in speed. After a couple of firmware upgrades that Cox sent down and a router firmware upgrade I made to my D-Link router, my signals and speed are outstanding. Consistently getting 100mbps or over down and over 6mbps up on the Cox Arizona speedtest site. I am a happy camper. The "Premier" package is now $64.99.

Update: 7/10/2011

I still have Cox's Premier Internet service for $65. Several months back they gave us a "speed increase" from 20 to 22 mbps. However, they apparently cut back on the Powerboost which now lasts for just a few seconds. I was getting insane speed test results (130mbps +) prior to this upgrade but afterwards now get around the specified speed rate for the Premier service. Still very reliable.

Update: 7/25/2012

No real changes to my review. Same service (Premier), same hardware (SB6120). Have had no serious issues. Getting speed tests of 30+ Download and 6+ uploads.

Update: 2/26/2013

No problems to speak of. Our area was upgraded this month. With premier service I now have speeds of around 5o mbps up and about 13 mbps down. Can't complain.

Update: 2/16/2014

No changes since last review. Still have the SB6120. I have encountered no issues.

member for 10.4 years, 3218 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jaykaykay See Profile

• Location: Scottsdale,Maricopa,AZ
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Overall "So far, excellent."

·Speakeasy
We had a lot of things we needed to do before getting up and running with Cox. Switching for them was a breeze and they installed our router/modem and set it up within an hour. It took me considerably more time to change our DNS hosting, etc. So far, Cox has been great. The price is part of our package so isn't broken down on this report. It comes in about $10 less than our old ISP, including cost of of new hosting service, and is soooooooo much faster. Tested about 1/2 hour ago, and it registered, from our old ISP's test page at:

Your Speed Result:
Download Speed: 9348 kbps (1168.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 14267 kbps (1783.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

We ordered the Preferred Level and bought one of the Cox store's combo router/modem, a Netgear N900.

When we were buying the hardware and setting up an appointment time and date, the only thing I can say about Cox's store sales is that they are very aggressive and really lay it on thick, much of what they answered re: ?'s

from me. The store salesperson had raved about that "he was ours for how ever long we needed him, would set up the router and take us through all we needed to know for Cox mail". Most of what they told me was not true. For me, that wasn't a problem, but for others, it might well have been.

The installer came here thinking that he was on a problem call when all we needed was for him to set up the router. No trouble call at all, and that was that.

As time goes on, I will flesh out this report, but it's really too new to write much more.

Ordered package:
Internet•25 Mbps download
•5 Mbps upload
•Secure Online Backup with 5GB
•Spam Blocker
•Cox Security Suite powered by McAfee®
•Up to 10 Webmail accounts
Download speeds of up to 25 Mbps.

member for 14 years, 5192 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Mordac See Profile

• Location: Newington,Hartford,CT
Good "speed and reliability"
Bad "pricey"
Overall "I've been getting good service since it was installed"

I've been getting good service since it was installed. No big issues and "pretty" reliable service.
Update 19 March 2010
I have been getting docsis3 speeds since Jan 2010 and have been pleased with the consistancy. I have had not had one dropped connection and when I did lose my bonded channels a tech was onsite and the problem was corrected within 6 hours.

Only addition is still pleased with speed
It stays consistent and is now getting even faster.
A little pricey but so far it has been worth it.

Comments:

Review by agill81 See Profile

• Location: Aliso Viejo,Orange,CA
Good "Everything"

No issues.

Comments:

sameboat

@cox.net

I am in the same boat

Every market has been upgraded except OC and even when we do get the upgrade, the ultimate tier will be 100Mb instead of 150Mb like nearly every other market. Worse they won't bump up the monthly usage cap for ultimate. OC is always the last to get anything even though we were one of the first HSI/digitalCATV markets.

Review by butchie See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "great"

·AT&T Southeast
After approx. 1 year with Cox, landline, cable tv and internet. Speeds are as advertised.
28 to 30 mb/s downloads, 7 to 9 mb/s upload
Customer service is great
Wireless is always strong
cable has everything I need.
One home tech visit for an outside damaged junction. Not bad for one year.

member for 13.3 years, 4458 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
rbmonical

join:2012-06-18

I agree - Cox is expensive but fast and reliable

I went a long time with no outages with Cox in Omaha.
There have been a few here in Phoenix and the NOC did not know what was going on. No outages for a couple of months now in Goodyear - SW valley
butchie

join:2000-12-29
Phoenix, AZ

Re: I agree - Cox is expensive but fast and reliable

Speeds still great. All's well here.............
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Never had a issue with speed

I've had cox for internet for the past 10 years in the Phoenix area.. Never had an issue with speed. Cox phone is ok.
Cox TV is fair. Directv is much better. High Def is clearer and I have the channels I want with Directv.

gamer101

@cox.net

Internet

I have had cox 1 yr .. Play lots of games etc.. Constant drops, Lags, bad customer support, At least every other month some one comes out to try and fix and says its our problem.. NO one knows why our internet drops on one computer and only one computer have gone thru 3 of their modems 2 of mine and they always blame it on the modem If Cox wasn't the only provider that supported good enough internet to game I would have switched already !!!!

Review by Liberty See Profile

• Location: Tucson,Pima,AZ
Good "fast, reliable, keeps getting better all the time - speed wise"
Overall "Wouldn't want to change"

Started service in '03 for $50 for 1.5/.25
Then it changed by Cox to $45 for 4/.5
then $45 for 8/.5
now its $45 for 15/.75

I should mention I am a satellite internet dealer and have a total of 3 FREE 1.5/256 pipes coming in and 1 2/256 also FREE

Since 03 I have had a total of maybe one week of no or bad service, all added together...

Yea, I think Cox rocks

Now the tail end of '13 and depending on test site I get between 10 & 30 down - doesn't make a hoot of difference which is correct, plenty fast

Cox raised rates this month to $63

member for 8.8 years, 2812 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by superpc See Profile

• Location: Gloucester,Gloucester,VA
Good "Connection is reliable and speeds are fairly stable"
Overall "Had no issues, connection has been excellent"

·Verizon Online DSL
Had Cox for about 7 months now, and must say I have not had any problems whatsoever.

When I signed up, they did try to push cable TV on me but they were nice overall. Decided to go for the Premier Plan (then 15/2) with a 24 month prick lock. Once signing up, installer was very knowledgeable and helpful. After a few months of having service, speeds were upgraded to 25/5 because of network upgrades.

Service has been excellent so far. Consistently get the speeds that we are paying for (25/5) and often slightly higher due to "Powerboost." They are certainly one of the better ISPs, and one of the best cable ISPs for sure. If you live in a Cox area, I would recommend them hands down.