Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by WiseOldBear See Profile

• Location: Litchfield Park,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Speed"
Bad "Nothing really."
Overall "Well worth the monthly cost"

Updated March 27, 2015:

Still have Cox HSI along with HD video. Internet service continues to be dependable, fast and functional. I do chuckle at those who complain about the email from Cox Net. Anyone who stays with an ISP provided email system gets exactly what they deserve. There are so many choices both free and for low cost that tieing oneself to an ISP is ridiculous. Our move from Phoenix to Litchfield Park was smooth, but proved once again that 99% of Cox sub-contractors are marginally to totally incompetent. Also the stores continue to hand out defective hardware. I had to arrange a visit by an actual Cox technician to correct several small isues and bring me a functional STB. Now all is good. CenturyLink continues to offer shoddy, unreliable service on all fronts. However, if you want a telephone that works when the power is down, you are stuck with a POTS connection. We senior citizens like the security.

Updated January 30, 2013:

Cox HSI continues to be the best internet service in Phoenix. Now have the second highest level of speed and it generally gives very fast downloads if the supplying system is also fast. The stability has been outstanding with no service losses of note. Like all cable companies Cox continues to slide prices higher and higher. As long as I can afford them I will stay with them. However, if an equally fast and stable service were to become available at a significantly lower price, I might jump ship.

Updated March 17, 2011:

Cox continues to deliver fast dependable internet service in my central Phoenix location. I upgraded to a SB6120 modem and the results were well worth the $100. Speeds down and up are 2x what they were and I pay no additional costs. The four channel link is quite awesome.

Updated November 4, 2008:

Well I returned to Cox HSI after several years with Qwest DSL. So far the experience is meeting my expectations. Sign up was done on line and on the second go around, things worked out fine. The installer was an actual Cox employee (my wife believes they have my account flagged since I have given them so much grief over the years so they didn't want to send a sub-contractor whom I might fold, spindle and mutilate). The installer was very professional, listened to my desires/needs and executed them faultlessly. I had pre-purchased a new Surfboard 5101 and we connected it to a single computer. Connection occurred shortly after he input the MAC address and all works great.

While I signed up for the Preferred 9 down 1 up tier, my speeds have gone as high as 22 down and 3.5 up. Actual download speeds seem to max at 1400kbs for largish files. I have seen no degradation of connection speed during the late afternoon and evening hours. The tech said that we were probably on a new node since fiber had been installed to our townhouse complex earlier this year.

So so far it is great and costs only $3 more per month than my Qwest DSL that won't go above 3M down and 640k up in my lifetime despiye all their advertising. They don't want to replace old copper.

---------------------------------

Some reflections from a long time Cox HSI user and an occasional DSL user.

I have had Cox since they arrived in north central Phoenix quite a few years ago. First video and then HSI. I have retained it even after multiple frustrations and flirtations with DSL simply because of the speed. Last week I ordered the upgrade from the standard HSI to Premier. This experience has precipitated these comments. The online application, after receiving email, was quick and easily done. I must note however, that the way they phrase and state things I might have thought I was buying HSI for the first time. They confirmed that order would be processed with 2 days-it was since on the third day I received an email telling me that the order had been implemented. (Like the phone companies, Cox uses stilited, complex and generally imprecise written communications. Some one should teach them some style and clarity lessons.)

When I got home this past Monday, I excitedly booted up and ran some speed tests. SIIGGHH....it wasn't appreciately faster than before. I got on here and checked out forums and read about the disappoints of others. Yesterday I purchased a new SB5120 modem to bypass the Broadcom chip issue in my SB5100. No significant improvement. I get radically variable download speeds, on occasion as high as 8500 and as low as 1500. Generally it fluctuates bewteen 4000 and 6500. The upload speed is quite consisten at 1000.

Experiences yesterday and today with tech support have produced the usual desire to do bad things to their bodies. They are not terribly knowledgeable, some are inarticulate to a fault, and ALL are incapable of fixing anything (presume Tier 1). I continue to be frustrated by their simplistic demand to have PC connected directly to the modem. I have never found that this enabled them to really fix anything, and I do not like sitting "naked and exposed" on the net. (Interesting side note: config management page on the SB5120 found at 192.168.100.1 says that the modem can act as a DHCP server and handout addresses in that IP range.But it doesn't work as ipconfig /all shows that PC is picking up address etc from Cox DNS server. Too bad as that might be good solution for many users.)

I now have techie coming Friday afternoon. It will be interesting to see what she/he comes up with. As I did once before I can cancel the Premier service and go back. But I will end up staying with Cox for the speed. I had a very good experience with Qwest DSL and Qwest net for a year as I explored MS Small Business Service. I got 1.5 mbs down and 896 kbs up. Static IPs and tech support that new how to solve problems. If Qwest can ever get a 3-5mbs down and 1.5mbs up setup for a reasonable price I will be gone from Cox in a heart beat. At that point I also dump the video and buy a dish.

I hope this is of interest to some of you.

Updated on October 16, 2005

I have since gone to Qwest (published forum message) and am quite satisfied. Cox was never able to fix the problem with Premier service, and after admitting it was their problem faded into desert when the tech changed schedules. I first dropped Premier, and have since dropped Cox HSI.

I have Qwest Premier at 3 mb down and 640 up. After an intial problem that was fixed when an outside tech found physical problem with the underground cable, speed has been totally consistent. I had two or three contacts with Qwest tech support and all were professional and they followed through and got problems fixed. Cox never did this.

I have five static IP addresses and no blockage of ports so the two servers are able to function well and provide email and web pages. Interestingly, Cox has apparently started blocking all SMTP traffic that doesn't flow thru their servers. A friend who has a website and email on GoDaddy found last week that his outgoing email was completely blocked unless he used the Cox servers. Even the work around that GoDaddy had provided was non-functional.

Comments:

Review by Metal Head See Profile

• Location: Escondido,San Diego,CA
Good "Great Speeds and Reliability"
Overall "Beats the hell out of DSL!"

Somehow when we placed our order online the Fast Connect Kit did not get shipped to us. We then called Cox a few days after our kit was to arrive and they said the kit would be here in a few days, but again the kit never arrived. So to make a long story short the kit finally arrives almost two weeks late.

I have only been using COX HSI since July 06, and so far I'm very satisfied with the service, the connection has been rock solid and with the upgrades we have been getting lately it's all that much better.

We had just migrated over from DSL, and with the distance from the CO., our fragile copper lines that could barley hold a 1.5/384 sync, I could not be any happier with Cox cable.

As for the service, we are on the preferred package 9/768 and are getting slightly above our advertised speeds.

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::
Download Connection is:: 11735 Kbps about 11.74 Mbps (tested with 12288 kB)
Download Speed is:: 1432 kB/s
Upload Connection is:: 1351 Kbps about 1.4 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)
Upload Speed is:: 165 kB/s
Tested From:: »testmy.net (Main)
Test Time:: 2008/07/16 - 11:10am
D-Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-985QPW4AD
U-Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-7092FGTXL
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.16) Gecko/20080702 Firefox/2.0.0.16 [!]

***************************** UPDATE July 16 2008 ************************************

We have had our service for 2 years now and couldn't be happier with the overall service. The speeds have been rock solid and the connection has been very reliable.

*****************************UPDATE Feb. 25 2010***************************

The connection is still rock solid and were getting slightly above our advertised speeds on the preferred tier which was just upgraded from 10/768 to 12/1.5

***************************UPDATE Feb. 20 2013**************************************

Our connection still has been rock solid and our speed on preferred has been increased to 18/2 and we are getting slightly above the speed on the speed tests.

*************************Update October 30 2013***********************************

Our connection has been rock solid with one exception of packet loss in our neighborhood since my last update. The Cox people were on the problem and it was solved in a few days. We also just receive a upgrade in speed from 18/2 to 25/5.

********************************Update January 2015********************************

In October 2014 we got an upgrade in speed to 50/5 on our preferred package.

member for 14.1 years, 6517 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ptuck874 See Profile

• Location: Providence Forge,New Kent,VA
Good "services, up time, equipment "
Bad "contractors, always ask for Cox tech when they come out to house"
Overall "great guys over here, might get better pricing in competitive markets"

Had some problems when getting installed about 2 years ago with not Cox but the contractors they use to get services set up, basically looking for boxes in yard (green terminal) but we found out later the connection is at top of pole across the street, not a big deal now but frustrating in trying to get them to find the tap-had run a 75 foot cat line across the street to green box to get the cable and internet on until they came out to get it connected correctly lol, but it has since then been marked and I know if I have any problems, where to point too. We have since being online almost all the time but had 1 time of intermediate connectivity with a booster being on the last legs and over heating on the line up the road from us and a second time one of those boosters blowing out completely. Luckily the first time, the internet was workable, just really bad pings and speed from 1am to 7am. The complete outage kinda sucked as it went down on Saturday afternoon, but bucket truck was called and got everything fixed Monday morning. All in all the field techs know their job where I am out and am completely satisfied with them, being online 99% of the time with no speed dips during peak times or anything. The pricing is good (back when we had Fios where we lived before, had some better offers for the triple play, but in looking at the prices now, they are about the same), we have internet premier package and mostly get 120 download speeds and 10 uploads, tv with contour 6 dvr and telephone unlimited, also 3 premiums for a total bill with taxes of 182 or so. When the contract is up will probably get Magic Jack or something for the phone and buy my own motem/router to save a little more cash (not that the phone service is bad or anything, just getting tired of paying close to 17 bucks a month for phone taxes, lord have mercy ). But all in all, I cannot complain much about Cox. One of the better providers of service I have ever had.

»[ Speed test: 112.10/13.54 22 ms]

member for 6.4 years, 672 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by CamboDK See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Fairfax,VA
Good "Great Customer Service, Responsive Connection"
Bad "Capped Connection, Spotty Connection, Price Increased after Six-Months"
Overall "Did the job for the price paid"

·Verizon Broadban..
This review is for service I had between 2011 and 2012. I ordered the basic Internet package only (no TV, no phone). However, for the sake of testing, I also hooked my TV and got basic/local TV service, so that was a plus. My Internet package was the 15 DOWN/2 UP at 34.99 (not including fees and taxes). The price went up after six-months to around $50 (not including fees and taxes).

Order process was fine, the place I was renting was already wired. I requested the self-install package and got it within two days. I connected everything up and there was no signal. Contacted Customer Service and reached a representative within seconds who was local (not a foreign representative)! The representative was very friendly and knowledgeable. They help me resolve the issue within minutes (asking for modem serial and etc.).

Overall, I enjoyed the service, it was spotty may be two or three times a year (connection went down), but mostly that was due to major storms. Resolved within the day. I was able to reach a CS within seconds and they were always local and very friendly. Other than that, the only downside was the price increase (if you didn't do a contract, which I didn't) and capped connection.

Comments:

Review by hokeye See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Fairfax,VA
Good "VERY FAST SPEEDS AS PROMISED -- EXCELLENT RESPONSE TIMES BY LOCAL TECHNICIANS "
Bad "NONE"
Overall "SERVICE HAS BEEN EXCELLENT --ROCK SOLID BETTER THAN ADVERTISED SPEEDS :-)"

I have been a customer of COX HSI for nine years and decided to update my prior review.

I LOVE COX COMMUNICATIONS HIGH SPEED INTERNET SERVICE !!!!! That pretty much sums it up.

I LIVE IN FAIRFAX COUNTY VA - COX SERVICE HAS BEEN ROCK SOLID FOR YEARS. [Over the past 3 years since my last review, there was one minor outage that was fixed within 30 minutes. There was a major outage during an extreme storm which left hundreds of thousands of electricity customers in the area without power for days. My power was restored within one day and Cox Internet was up and running when the power came back on

I had the need for one service call. The appointment was made for the next day before noon. The Cox Technician was here on time, identified and fixed my problem in under 5 minutes, [a loose connection in the cable box room on the floor of my building.]

When I have needed it, their24/7 telephone tech support has been excellent.

I need to move from my current home. Before I give serious consideration to a new home I first check with Cox to make certain that Cox services the area. I will not move anywhere in this state where I would not be able to have COX as my Internet provider. Their major competitor here is Verizon FIOS. I used Verizon 10 years ago. I detest Verizon. I'd rather live in my car than move to an area where Verizon would be my ISP.

I have recently been considering moving to the District of Columbia. I have recently been diagnosed with a painful medical condition known as Peripheral Neuropathy. Clinical studies have proven that one of, if not the best, sources for relieving the pain of Neuropathy is smoking Marijuana, As of Today, possession of up to two ounces of weed is legal on non-Federally owned lands in DC. It is legal to smoke and grow it in your home. Selling Marijuana remains illegal but I have yet to see anything saying that buying it is illegal. All of this info comes from a Press Conference given by The DC Police Chief on Monday.

So I had found an attractive, reasonably priced place for rent in DC. I just made some calls. Cox does does not service that area. Comcast would be my ISP. Gawd! I was just reading some reviews/complaints on one of the Comcast complaint sites. It is no wonder to me now why they are the most disliked corporation in the USA.

I'd rather suffer the pain of my Neuropathy than have Comcast as my ISP.

I do not watch TV, haven't owned a TV in over 18 years. I only use a cell phone. So I really am not that sensitive to the comparative prices of ISPs, but because I don't pay for cable TV or a phone landline I really don't care about the cost of my Cox service. I am retired and partially handicapped and constantly use the net. So for me the COX price for it's Premiere Service is a bargain.

IMHO, AT LEAST IN VA, YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH COX COMMUNICATIONS FOR YOUR ISP. THE SERVICE COX HAS PROVIDED TO ME HAS BEEN TERRIFIC !

[This is an update to a review I posted a few years ago]

Comments:

Review by silentdisco See Profile

• Location: Surprise,Maricopa,AZ
Good "faster downloads and more reliable uploads compared to an equal cost centurylink plan"
Bad "should have switched later as the difference between preferred and premier for new subscribers is only $10 currently. "
Overall "I had centurylink and switched to cox. for my location, cox has a better internet product at a lower cost!"

Package: Preferred package (50 up/ 10 down) $50 for service and another $9.99 for renting their wifi modem. we also have phone thru cox but not TV (happy directv user for 5+ years). we switched from centurylink because their internet service was not reliable here in Surprise, Arizona. we had the max centurylink internet package (40 down/ 5-10 up IIRC) and frequently hit the download speed but rarely the upload... common uploads were in the .5 to 1 megabit per second range. technicians frequently tried to fix it but couldn't so we switched to cox. we pay less now for faster internet that is more reliable! currently we frequently hit 60 megabits per second down on download speedtests outside of cox's own speedtest.

Install: install and ordering process regarding internet service was fine. in hindsight, I wish they would have told us to to wait because of the current deal for new subscribers and cox's premier plan but cox is a business and I was ready to switch from centurylink so I don't fault them for that. technician that came out was friendly, knowledgeable and polite. only issue with the switch was in regards to our phone service but it wasn't anything cox did or didn't do more so of centurylink dragging their feet in releasing our number so cox could port it. we got our number ported eventually but it took 2 weeks. cox actually gave us a temporary landline number so we (my wife actually) could still use the house phone until our number got ported properly.

Equipment: renting a Netgear CG4500BD which is a dual-band wireless router/modem. I'm somewhat knowledgeable with routers/modems and for a cox provided gateway (Netgear CG4500BD) this works pretty good. We have 3-4 ios devices that are usually connected simultaneously to the gateway wirelessly, a PC hardwired and a PS4 that connects wirelessly for gaming/netflix from time to time and haven't (knock on wood) had any problems with connectivity, speed, gaming or streaming. the dual-band wifi router works admirably on all of our wireless devices. Obviously if you have the time, the knowledge and money buying your own modem and router is better from a maximum performance perspective but at the plan we're on I think you just need something that works consistently. if we upgrade "up" to the next internet plan (premier) I'd probably recommend buying your own modem & router as the cox supplied gateway is very limited to what the user can configure.

Other Thoughts: I have hard time hearing anyone on the phone but a positive to me is everytime I've contacted cox I've spoken with someone who speaks American English (or at least does a good job of faking it). speaking with centurylink was hard because most the time I had a hard time understanding the person I was speaking to as their English was not their native language. I'm happy with cox but we only really have 2 options currently in Surprise, AZ and cox is definitely the better ISP of the two based on quality of product and price. would recommend cox over centurylink as ISP to anyone in Surprise or Sun City area. only regret is we should have switched later as the difference between the preferred and premier package for new subscribers is now only $10 a month more...to switch now it would be $25 a month more

Comments:

Review by butchie See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "great"

After almost 3 years year with Cox, landline, cable tv and internet. Speeds have doubled over the years
approx. 50-60 mb/s downloads, 10-15 mb/s upload
Customer service is great
Wireless is still very strong
cable has everything I need.
One home tech visit for an outside damaged junction. Not bad for three years.

member for 14.2 years, 4921 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

gamer101

@cox.net

Internet

I have had cox 1 yr .. Play lots of games etc.. Constant drops, Lags, bad customer support, At least every other month some one comes out to try and fix and says its our problem.. NO one knows why our internet drops on one computer and only one computer have gone thru 3 of their modems 2 of mine and they always blame it on the modem If Cox wasn't the only provider that supported good enough internet to game I would have switched already !!!!

Review by dlarkin_dc See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Fairfax,VA
Good "Internet speeds stable and consistely close to plan limit."
Bad "Personable but ineffective tech support, poor DTV quality (dropped after 1 year)"
Overall "Okay for Internet."

·VOIPO
UPDATE 1/24/2015

Been on Cox Preferred internet plan for 12 years. The speed is now 50/5mbps. In tests I see a very steady 43mbps. The reliability of internet is great, outages are extremely rare... only two on the last 12 years. The speed and low latency makes for great streaming, Netflix HD (8.3mbps), VUDU HDX, Amazon HD never have an issue and should be capable of streaming 4K/UHD.

The Preferred plan data cap has been dropped from 300Gb to 250Gb, though I rarely go much over 50% despite streaming 90% of my TV viewing.

I can't say it's been all rosy with Cox e-mail service. That's been a roller coaster ride the last year, with outages, login problems, and e-mails delayed. It's flaky/patchy and I'm not happy with it - though it's never been a critical issue either. There's ongoing threads about these e-mail issues in the Cox HSI forum, but it's long past due being resolved by Cox.

UPDATE 6/2/13

Been seeing Netflix Super HD on our devices and (after Neflix fixed some glitches) that has been working fine.

Also, about that free McAfee software... I've dropped it for AVG after McAfee let bad virus in and I found four others after rebuilding my OS.

UPDATE 4/11/13

Just received a price hike on the internet, an extra $4 / month. I'm still on Preferred listed as 15/2 (SpeedTest.net usually tests 17-20/3 over the last few years) and I've never had bandwidth issues, even streaming Vudu HDX.

UPDATE 1/31/2011

Dropped all television from my plan today and keeping the internet service only.

Why? Two reasons:
(1.) Picture/Sound Quality - I was fed up with the picture and sound quality issues due to compression and distribution problems. Shows from streamed or by antenna have crisp and clear picture and sound quality.
(2.) "57 channels and nothing on" Syndrome. Well, maybe 300 plus channels, but we watch a handful of shows a week. All but two are available OTA, the others are streamed online free or 99c an episode.

So that I guess that takes me to a 3rd reason...
(3) I'll be cutting $82 from my bill, a cost I don't need for my television viewing habits.

No regrets. In fact, I'm excited to be seeing shows clean and clear again, for free.

UPDATE 11/8/2010

A month after finally getting a real body (a tech with a face, name and cell#) assigned to the ongoing PQ issues... nothing has been improved. In four weeks only one frequency/channel has been addressed and so far without improvement. All other channels are still experiencing minor but annoying problems.

As I now know how Cox address these issues, on a per channel/frequency basis, I am keeping a log of the channel/frequencies and PQ issues when they appear... six regular offenders and counting. l'll be a lot older and greyer before this is resolved at the rate Cox gets things done. My tech told me he escalated internally and suddenly things happened. That it had to get to that stage is a sad reflection on Cox field service/response in my area.

Simply put, there appears to be a significant distribution problem in my neighborhood for HD DTV services from Cox.

I expect I'll be switching to FiOS, or a combination of OTA/ClearQAM/IPtv in the next couple of months to get better PQ and save money to boot!

The internet has never been to problematic, so I'll probably keep that.

UPDATE 9/26/2010

It's been a few weeks since the last tech visit, so far ABC/NBC/Fox and major network stations are always fine but I am seeing infrequent snow/microblocks on every other channel at any time of the day or week. The Wed to Sat picture quality degrading is just as bad but non-network stations, BBC/SyFy/WDC are horrible. The way-out-wacky jitter seems to have gone too, better for my VOIP.

I expect I'm seeing a band-aid solution to local newtork load/congestion. Or maybe the change is the neighbors migrating to fiber

I've shaved my ratings back to reflect the current situation.

UPDATE 9/15/2010

On the internet I am seeing the same performance now for months, and it is acceptable, with a few caveats. Occasionally the DNS goes offline, I'm getting outrageous jitter so it's affecting my VOIP.

Worse still my DTV service is prone to breakups and freeze-ups on Wednesday through Saturday, 9am to midnight. The tech support has gotten very poor, a tech came out to my house said everything was perfect, but snipped off and remade every connection and then blamed the model of my STB. He said Cox didn't have any replacements but he'd get one for me when he could. So what... leaving me with unwatchable TV four days out of seven? Tech support on the phone will only reset by STB, and that does no good.

The service I'm paying for has gone from, "Eh, but I can live with it." in December to, "I am so ready to switch to FIOS." in the last three months.

UPDATE 3/26/2010

Seems like the spotty performance is gone, and I'm now bonding 3 channels. Whenever I test I'm usually seeing data rates about 11/3 (the plan is up to 12/5) so it's carrying Skype and VOIP without any problems.

Calls to Cox... I still get some great phone staff on the phone, clear talking, helpful, great attitude, but the grouches are taking over 2:1, IME.
Call wait times have been getting longer too.

I have added digital cable TV to my plan 3 months ago. That review is still in progress... oh, so not smooth sailing.

UPDATE 1/22/2010

In the new year I upgraded my modem to Surfboard 6120 and I'm seeing two channels bonded. Initially I saw snappier loading of web pages and large downloads are quicker. But,over the few weeks I have been seeing the up/downstream signal levels and SNRs drift about, sometimes close to acceptable limits. Sometimes I get nothing when a page should load and spotty performance. I am keeping an eye on this.

UPDATE December 2009

Having called in to verify the costs, to compare to FiOS, for digital TV Cox offered same cost as I was at gateway, 2 tiers and a HD DVR. I snapped up that deal and took the plunge. So far the picture quality has varied wildly and the DVR performance is barely adequate. I'll post a full digtial television review when I'm done figuring it all out.

ORIGINAL REVIEW

Been a COX HSI customer for close to six years... I picked up a modem/service pack (a Motorola Surfboard and 50ft of co-axial cable) at Circuit City. I just hooked it up at home, phoned Cox to activate the service and I've been online almost non-stop since - we've only had two short outages!

FYI - We're on our second Surfboard now, they do have a lifespan.

The COX support people are friendly but the tech support is best when guided by a geek (me, in this case) who knows what needs to be fixed otherwise you'll be chasing down blind alleys, but all tech support has gone that way it seems.

I think, when I started using COX HSI, the speeds were 5/2. COX always upgraded the speeds for consumers as the higher speeds became available. The currently cited speeds are up to 12/5 and that is what we usually see using Speedtest.net

The McAfee VirusScan Suite that you can get free as COX HSI subscriber is worth about $50 in software and $20/yr in virus scan updates.

I get the HSI bundled with the cable analog TV service from COX and the cost of the combination is begining to be be uncompetitive, at $103/mo. For a little more I can get Verizon Extreme HD and 50/20.

Comments:

Review by rmoonin See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "Very fast and reliable"
Bad "It is expensive"
Overall "For business applications it is good"

I link my New Jersey office which has FIOS with my Nevada office which has COX HSI. Fios is running 25 up and down. Cox is running 50 down and around 8 up. The cost of around $120 is about the same. Yes this is very expensive but when your livelihood (accounting business) depends upon it then you bite the bullet and pay for it. I cannot see much of a difference between the two although I prefer FIOS as the throughput seems faster on the Verizon network. I wish we has fiber to the curb but that is generally only available at the Las Vegas casinos. There has been virtually no downtime on Cox. Installation was fast and professional. In the long run it has helped the business since I am able to access large tax files without any problems. Videocam between the two offices is not perfect but acceptable.

I am updating my review of Cox. For several reasons I upgraded to their Ultimate service. It is expensive but they are the only game in town offering 150 speed. Tech support is excellent. Installer was top notch. Reliability which is super important is there. Sure I have had to reboot the modem a few times but that is no big deal. I am waiting to see how fast Century Link will bring 1 gig speed over to Henderson,Nevada. Competition is good for everyone

My office in NJ uses Verizon FIOS and here in Las Vegas we continue to use Cox Ultimate. We have been using a standard service like gotomypc.com. The quality and ping of the connection is excellent. Virtually no downtime with Cox. Once in a while I have to restart the modem but that is done when updating Windows products. No big deal. Essentially you get what you pay for.

If you have to link offices you really need to at least 50 at both ends. Both Cox and FIOS are good companies and you get what you pay for. You are not going to get high speeds for $40 bucks a month. Running a business requires an expenditure for quality internet service and quality computers at both ends. You spend money to make money.

Comments:
rmoonin

join:2000-08-05
Newtown, PA
·Cox HSI

Update on Cox

I use Cox Ultimate service and it has been a pleasure dealing with the. Speeds hit 180 which is terrific. I link my Nevada office and New Jersey office. Unfortunately in NJ I have to deal with Comcast which is horrible and have to contend with lower speeds and more importantly unreliability by Comcast. Yes it is expensive but when you are working with large data files you need that speed. Computer equipment is state of the art but in a commercial environment you do not cut corners. Cox tech support is excellent and I rarely have issues with them.
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Trace route

Would be interesting to see the trace route path between the two offices.. See where you data goes.

Review by jchambers28 See Profile

• Location: Alma,Crawford,AR
Good "50/10 service is really fast better than centurylink "
Bad "Not goole fiber expensive for what u get capped installer was a asshole."
Overall "if ur stuck in a centurylink area this is ur only real option. "

I have had service for 3 days not seems to be stable. Good speed 50/10 really fast. I had a installer the was a complete asshole with a bad attitude to go with it. Glad I did the self install option. the service is so far so good.

member for 7.8 years, 4204 visits, last login: a few hours ago