Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by jchambers28 See Profile

• Location: Alma,Crawford,AR
Good "50/10 service is really fast better than centurylink "
Bad "Not goole fiber expensive for what u get capped installer was a asshole."
Overall "if ur stuck in a centurylink area this is ur only real option. "

I have had service for 3 days not seems to be stable. Good speed 50/10 really fast. I had a installer the was a complete asshole with a bad attitude to go with it. Glad I did the self install option. the service is so far so good.

member for 7.6 years, 4050 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Laszlo See Profile

• Location: Ocala,Marion,FL
Good "Reliable connection, good introductory pricing"
Bad "Horrendously incompetent install techs, required multiple visits"
Overall "With the slowest speed, DSL was actually faster, but bundling is cheaper"

After visiting my 82yo grandmother in April, I found she had been paying $77/mo for home phone AND $33/mo for her _long distance_ provider. I bought her an Ooma and set up $4/mo VOIP service, which doesn't charge her 5 cents/min to talk to her grandkids. Unfortunately, I was 1000 miles away when we realized her internet was provided by her phone company and the Ooma number port would terminate her CenturyLink DSL, thus cutting off her VOIP phone too. I hurriedly arranged for Cox internet (her existing cable TV provider) to be set up, and ordered a cable modem and router for her from Newegg (to avoid an $8/mo modem rental fee).

Trying to leave enough time for the package to arrive first, I scheduled the install for May 2. Unfortunately, the confirmation email listed April 30 instead (it was 12:30 AM on the 30th). This would be a problem. I started a chat with Cox to try to correct their error, but the CSR said it would be impossible for her to fix it. I'd have to do that by phone at 8:00 AM, before the install window. After a stressful sleep, I sorted it out in the morning.

However, it turned out that the install tech was incompetent and wasn't able to complete the install that Friday. Despite listing the requirements in my online order (running a cable to her sunroom and likely installing a wall jack), the Cox guy came unprepared to do that. After 3 days of no phone or internet service, Cox was able to get her hooked up. Yet this time, they did a sloppy job, leaving the cable hanging off the outside wall and creating a tripping hazard in the yard. My grandmother (who had cracked her hip after tripping on a garden hose last year) called many times to complain, and I think it took a couple more visits before it was tidied up for her.

Following the install though, everything seems to work fine. Calls from her are usually good quality. Though sometimes scratchy, which might be the Ooma, or because she chose the slowest 1 Mbps option for internet. It is cheap though. $15/mo for the first year, and $30/mo thereafter. I'm visiting again currently, so paid $5 to bump up to 5/1 Mbps (promo possible for 6 months, but can be downgraded with no penalty to the $15 promo when we head home). 50/5 speeds would be $63, 100/10 would be $74, and 150/20 would be $100, if she had the need, which is cheaper than I get in PA.

Comments:

Review by amungus See Profile

• Location: Manhattan,Riley,KS
Good "fastest available in area"
Bad "recent troubles with consistency"
Overall "usually very good"

·KCH Cable
Update: 10/23/2014

50Mbps since a few months ago. Bill is just north of $60/mo.
Consistently get advertised speed, sometimes a bit more.
Max available in area is now 150Mbps (two tiers above where I am now, still on "preferred")
Next lowest drops all the way from 50, to 5Mbps for a small amount less per month.
Latest DOCSIS 3.0 modem (8x4 channels, I believe) has been steady for over a year, and has paid for itself instead of renting one. Hoping it's useful for a good amount of time. Cox service still good, though price has crept up over the years.

---
Update - Sep. 5th 2013:

Back to Cox since around June 2013. The house had a rental modem/router combo unit (Cisco, I believe) and speeds were inconsistent, as was wireless stability. Replaced with a modem that I purchased, and new router. Speeds stable and consistent ever since. Wired connection was slightly better on the rental, but it's nice to own my own stuff, and I prefer to have a router that I can tinker with a little bit.

Currently on the "preferred" plan (25Mbps I believe) and speeds are consistent.
Their fastest plan is 100Mbps, I think. "Powerboost" allows for 188Mbps, so I have heard.

It's good to be back.

---

I've had Cox internet since 2002. When I first signed up, I was on the 3Mbps "preferred" package and would get 4.4Mbps most times. Since the upgrade to 4Mbps, I got 4 down, and 512kbps up, which was good.
At that address, they were great. Not only was the service good, their support was awesome. Any problems were solved quickly and by friendly people.
One day a line was snagged by a passing truck, and they had people out there fixing it that very same day, and double checking every point on the road. Techs were always friendly and took pride in their work, and for good reason.

At my new address, I signed back up with them, on the standard "preferred" service again. Things went smoothly, and speeds were consistent.
After about a month, I had to go to the "basic" 256kbps up/down for financial reasons. It worked, barely. I suffered through it, and was still able to surf web pages fairly well.

Recently, I opted for the "premier" package because of a promo offer for 3 months at $40.
I have yet to see 9/1 speeds. Upload has been mostly consistent, at 1 Mbps, but download speeds have been nothing short of horrible. Sometimes, in the early morning hours, I can see 5Mbps, but this is NOT what I am supposed to get.
After numerous calls, and troubleshooting, the issue is still unresolved in my area. The last tech mentioned that my modem might be bad, so I might try a new one. We'll see. From the forum talk, I gather that something bigger is to blame, so I can't say that the local folks are really at fault here yet.

Speaking of the modem, I went with one that they wanted to loan me. Instead they offered a very nice option that I did not know about at the time.
Monthly payments on it. For 4 months, I paid it off about $14 at a time. This was very nice since I didn't want to drive down to a local store and plunk down however much all at once.

Since these troubles, I must say I'm slightly disappointed at the level of service though. Phone techs have been good and bad, but none of this is their fault, and really they can't do a whole lot other than dispatch a tech. Sure they tested my signals etc. but were rather unhelpful the last time I called...
The service tech who tested everything was about my age; young adult. Very knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. He informed me that there was nothing really wrong on my end, and that there wasn't much he could really do.

If the speeds return to 'normal' I'll be a happy camper, but for now, I'd rather have a reliable 4Mbps than this flaky "premier" service which has been horrible.
Download speeds in the evening hours have varied from 2.5Mbps down, to 512kbps down. Very inconsistent to say the least.

Still a good isp for the area, and the people are great. At this point, my patience is running thin, so I may yet consider DSL even though I'd rather not have to get a phone service with that. Either way, as long as the service is consistent, it really is unbeatable around here, so if you go with them, and they're sailing along smoothly, you should be just fine.

UPDATE - 2-27-06
The premier rocks. Finally got the 9/1 package, and can sometimes get 11Mbps!!! My internet goes to '11'!!! Still a lot slower at nights on occasion, but that's because there are tons of college students in my area, and that's just how cable works sometimes. Hey, no complaints here after things got updated. It has become more consistent, and that's all that matters right now.

UPDATE - 12-1-06

Back to "preferred" service for the past several months. Speeds have been very consistent, and I've only had a couple of very short outages that never really affected me. Upload is 512Kbps, Download is now 6Mbps as per a recent upgrade. I've seen speeds nearing 7Mbps at times, but it's usually more consistently around what they advertise at 6Mbps, which is plenty fast for me. The bump for me is reason enough to stay on the preferred instead of spending any more money on "premium" services, though the premium is pretty fast!

Overall, Cox is still doing pretty good w/their internet service around here, and the speed increase is a nice bonus. As long as it's consistent, I'm happy.

------------

UPDATE 7-2-07

Well I've been "upgraded" to whatever the latest speeds are now 6-7Mbps I think, and things are going well for the most part.

No recent disconnects or REALLY bad speed drops like before. Things have just been, well, stable for the most part.

Every once in awhile I do a speed test, and have got some incredible "boost" speeds of up to 22Mbps! ..Granted, those don't last very long, but sustained download speeds have been up to 1.5Mega BYTES per sec! ...Avg. is more like anything from 800KB/sec to 1.2MB/sec.

They must've changed some things at their office, because things have been mostly stable.

Only weirdness is that my IP address has changed a couple times, once it was to some address that was in/near Louisiana if I recall...

Still a fair deal around here as long as you can get a stable link. DSL is nowhere close to their speeds though it is usually a bit more reliable in the long run.

Comments:

Review by intel1212 See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "Reliable, good tech support (Cox techs participate in forums here..)"
Bad "Really none, except my perception that the price is high -- no "
Overall "Reliable, fast -- seems to be better value then Embarq"

·VOIPO
UPDATE 9/27/2014:

Still with Cox. They raised prices, then raised speeds (have the Moto SB6121). Still only using service for IP connectivity. Have had a couple of problems, but support has been very good from Cox. Example of support includes calling for assistance earlier this year on a Saturday and tech came on-site to house ~2 hours later (their problem with cabling between house and their network).

UPDATE 7/11/2013:

Still using Cox HSI, no phone or TV services. Moved to new ASUS NT-66U router using standard ASUS firmware. Still great performance from Cox and my overall home network. I did downgrade my service from Premier to Preferred, going from $68 to $55. I constantly get ~30 Mb down, ~6-8 Mb up. That is plenty for me. Still think the price is on the high side, but again, no "real" competition in the LV/Henderson market (please, Centurylink users -- there is no comparison in speeds, period). The tech support on dslreports.com forums is outstanding. There are a couple of techs that monitor and answer questions.

*******************************************************************

UPDATE 1/16/2012:

I only use Cox services for IP (no phone or TV services). Moved to a Linksys router WRT54GS, running Tomato USB and also have a Motorola SB6120 modem. 2 major benefits of this move. 1) Faster download and upload speeds, and 2) much, much more stability in my Voip services -- IF there are some type of network issues (whereas before, I had to always reboot my Voip adapter). The stability of the Voip service I attribute to the Tomato USB OS on the router -- Highly recommend this version. Had a few connection/reconnect issues last spring, but tech support fast fast, quick, sent tech out and re-provisioned all cable connectors from my house to street -- solved problem. Highly suggest using dslreports forums to report/discuss issues you might see, excellent resource of information from all members here. Overall, happy with Cox IP services. Feel price for premier level is on the high side (and they just raised the price $1 from $63.99 to $64.99), but there is really no other competition in town for the speeds I am seeing.

Comments:

Review by N10Cities See Profile

• Location: Fort Smith,Sebastian,AR
Good "Fairly consistent speeds, friendly customer service"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Very fast service, compared to other solutions locally."

Currently using the Cox Bundle.

Phone quality is excellent, TV picture quality is great with no pixelation encountered so far at any time of the day. Currently subscribed to Premier Internet tier and am getting very consistent up and download speeds at most times of the day.

I have heard we have DOCSIS 3 service now, but need to save the greenstamps to get a compliant modem so I can enjoy the new speeds, but currently using an Arris eMTA which is working very well for me..

Update! 3/30/11. Upgraded to the Cisco 2850 Gateway device so I would be DOCSIS 3.0 compliant (still running Premier) and it REALLY boosted my speeds. Last test on Speedtest.net was 62 Mb down / 5.5 Mb up.

Recently got an HD TV and upgraded one receiver to HD (no DVR). Picture quality has been excellent.

Highly recommended service!

Update 10/5/12

No changes. Service still rock solid...

Update 9/16/14

Currently using Ultimate Tier and no TV. Consistently pulling 170-180 Mb/sec on speedtest (i know, i know, boost...but still fun to watch). Streaming Netflix works perfectly with no lag as well as high throughput downloading content from Steam, Origin, etc. Highly recommended.

Comments:

Review by terabyte See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Consistant speeds"
Bad "Not what advertised"
Overall "There Data Usage Meter is inaccurate"

Three complaints about Cox's Ultimate HSI:
1. Advertised speed 150Mbps down, Cox website tests at 180 Mbps, Speedtest.net 80 Mbps.
2. Data Usage Meter is inaccurate-reports 18 Gbps per day usage even on the two weeks I was out of town on vacation.
3. The Preferred and Premier HSI tiers received a free speed increase but Cox has done nothing for the Ultimate tier customers.

Comments:

Review by otom8 See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "Nice and fast - connection is working well except with one device/service"
Bad "Repeatedly getting logged out of Xbox live"
Overall "Better than CenturyLink, but Xbox Live problem is very frustrating"

Aug. 8, 2014: Price on bill was as expected. I did not get connected until about 10 days after subscribing, so I called, and Cox gave me a credit for the days I wasn't connected -- that was a big plus. About a week into the new service, all seems to be working well (desktops, laptops, tablets, phones, reliability, connectivity, bandwidth, etc.), except that Xbox live keeps getting disconnected. I kept both my old Internet service (including modem-router that came with it) for about a week, so I could compare both services. Xbox live works perfectly fine with my previous service, but it is intermittently disconnected with the new Cox modem-router. The modem-router is a Ubee DDW366. Cox's tier 1 and 2 tech support have not been able to help me with this problem, so I am going to switch out the modem-router with a different brand at the Cox store, and see how that goes. (This is odd since I'd expect that a significant number of Cox's HSI customers use Xbox live, perhaps Ubee is a new brand for Cox?)

Comments:
sparky007

Need to adjust your QOS

Most Cox users use either Motorola or Cisco for their modems / routers..

I got a Cisco DPC3010 modem with a Cisco RV042G router.

You should be able to adjust your modem's / router QOS setting to prevent disconnects from your XBox.

otom8

join:2013-02-25
Henderson, NV

Re: Need to adjust your QOS

Thanks a bunch - great info.
P.S. I did wind up adding port forwarding in the Ubee's settings for the Xbox's (fixed) IP address (UDP and TCP for ports 88, 3074, 53, 80), but that did not resolve the problem.

·Vonage

Re: Need to adjust your QOS

Might want to take a look at this.. Looks like your not the only one with Xbox issues and Ubee modems / routers.

»forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox···661.aspx

»forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox···301.aspx

Also you might want to put the Xbox in the DMZ zone.. Let it have a direct connection to the internet.

Review by Scotty See Profile

• Location: Bellevue,Sarpy,NE
Good "Cox HSI just doubled our speed for the same price!!!!!"
Overall "Cox has the speed. I'm at the point where I might drop Cox TV and watch TV online instead."

I'm signed up for the Cox Preferred internet package, 50mbps down and 10mbps up at a cost of $64.00 a month. Cox just doubled our speeds here in Nebraska as of July 2014, and that is why I've updated my review today. Cox did not raise the monthly cost for this increased speed! The speed is just right for my needs and I've had excellent 24/7 service. The internet has improved to the point where I'm able to view most TV programs online. I'm considering dropping my Cox TV service and maybe upgrading my internet speed to the next higher tier. It has been several years since I dropped our Cox phone service. I'm using a smartphone for all phone calls and have not had any problems. I even had one occasion where I had to call 911E and the emergency response was excellent. I'm assuming they used my phones GPS to locate us.

Comments:

SugarDaddy
join:2005-03-03
San Diego, CA

COX HSI

I don't know when you wrote your review dude but I have COX Ultimate here in San Diego and as of Oct. 2013 the speeds are 100 down/20 up (with the actual numbers much higher usually 130's/ high 30's). This is for $99 a month. Some other Cox locations now have 150 MBPS down which is fairly compatible with EURODOCSIS and what South Korea can deliver.

Scotty
join:2002-11-10
Tustin, CA
·Cox HSI

Re: COX HSI

Appreciate your reply. Yes, it has been a while since I've updated my review of Cox. I will update it soon. Their speeds have improved quite a bit from years ago. My son lives out in Irvine CA and he has speeds almost like yours. Guess living out here in corn country it takes awhile for the upgrades, ha. Best wishes and enjoy all that sunny California weather. I'm from Redondo Beach CA and hope to return soon.....I'm tired of all this snow and cold weather every Winter.
chuckkk

join:2001-11-10
Warner Robins, GA
·Cox HSI

Cox Middle GA

A recent "speed increase" was just put in place. At this time last year, the download speeds were 80-90Mbps (uncapped) Then the Premier speed was capped at about 32-36 Mbps. The recent "increase" raised the 36Mbps to about 46Mbps.

Due to the increasing number of annoying commercials, I'm about ready to drop TV service and go back to broadcast tv.

Review by SlashG42 See Profile

• Location: Metairie,Jefferson,LA
Good "Fastest available in the area. Competitive prices."
Bad "Phone techs are sometimes technically ignorant."
Overall "Better than AT&T, which is the only competition in town."

·AT&T Southeast
Running Ultimate, I see speedboost downloads up to 195Mb/s for the first couple of minutes then down to 160Mb/s. It is that speed downstream any time of day I test it. That's Mbits, not MBytes.

Uploads are 30Mb/s at first and stabilize around 18-20Mb/s.

I'm content with it, but could always be faster. Currently it's the best deal the New Orleans area far as I know.

Order and install was good overall. The tech who was sent to the house was very competent and polite.

Running a Motorola Surfboard 6141 I bought myself after a 2-week-long string of random disconnects. Didn't help the disconnects. Those went away on their own. Guessing it was Cox messing with their network.

24x7 phone support is nice. They can't do a whole lot for you during non-business hours since billing and a few other offices are closed, but they can do basic troubleshooting, reset your modem, book a tech, etc. I have always gotten a tech out within 48 hours of calling, usually same day if I call before lunch.

The contractor field techs don't seem to do much besides replace connectors and splitters. As far as signal analysis and comprehending the modem's built-in diagnostic page, forget it. The Cox-employed field techs know their stuff though.

Do be aware Cox has caps now. So far, they don't enforce them much if at all.

Comments:
sparky007

Signal levels

Check your signal levels at 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.100.0
SlashG42

join:2002-02-13
Metairie, LA

Re: Signal levels

Signals are almost ideal. Always were.

Review by FFJOHNL312 See Profile

• Location: Pawtucket,Providence,RI
Good "No problems other than this know-it-all made for himself and not knowing enough about DOCSIS 3.0"

I am an ex-Verizon employee in a FiOS area but can not get it due to my landlord, and have a wife who was not happy with the upload speeds that 7M DSL could provide, so our broadband appetite had changed over the years.

No problems with it, other than using a low pass filter to block the MoCA signal for my router from getting back into Cox's network causing loss of the internet early in the morning. Once I took it off, all was well and have had no problems since.

UPDATE 7/25/14: I have since the initial review added telephone service from Cox as I left Verizon in 2012, and recently added their Contour DVR service. They upgraded my telephony modem to a Cisco DOCSIS 3.0 unit for free, and other than some kinks not resolved at the time of the Contour installation (none of the crimp-on connectors in my coax network were replaced), everything has been fine and steady. Unfortunately, still the only game in town as a result of my landlord.

member for 7 years, 2056 visits, last login: 10 days ago