Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by AZdesertguy See Profile

• Location: Tucson,Pima,AZ

I've had Cox for 7 years. It has rarely been what I'd call good. I did have TV through them, but dropped that and only have data now. All morning, it's been barely crawling. Tests from here and speedtest show the same thing (or fail completely). If you contact them, they always have you do the same thing, with no resulting improvement -- it just wastes time. They don't care -- they don't have to.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week
lodged a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by CamboDK See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Fairfax,VA
Good "Great Customer Service, Responsive Connection"
Bad "Capped Connection, Spotty Connection, Price Increased after Six-Months"
Overall "Did the job for the price paid"

This review is for service I had between 2011 and 2012. I ordered the basic Internet package only (no TV, no phone). However, for the sake of testing, I also hooked my TV and got basic/local TV service, so that was a plus. My Internet package was the 15 DOWN/2 UP at 34.99 (not including fees and taxes). The price went up after six-months to around $50 (not including fees and taxes).

Order process was fine, the place I was renting was already wired. I requested the self-install package and got it within two days. I connected everything up and there was no signal. Contacted Customer Service and reached a representative within seconds who was local (not a foreign representative)! The representative was very friendly and knowledgeable. They help me resolve the issue within minutes (asking for modem serial and etc.).

Overall, I enjoyed the service, it was spotty may be two or three times a year (connection went down), but mostly that was due to major storms. Resolved within the day. I was able to reach a CS within seconds and they were always local and very friendly. Other than that, the only downside was the price increase (if you didn't do a contract, which I didn't) and capped connection.

Comments:

Review by martin75 See Profile

• Location: Poway,San Diego,CA
Good "fast dl/ul speeds, very little downtime"
Bad "infrequently inept customer service"
Overall "recommend!"

I've the Premier internet package - haven't had complaints in the 2+ years we've had it. It's fast, reliable... Customer service reps sometimes don't know what they're doing, but other than that Cox has been a great ISP.

Did a self install w/my own cable modem (Moto/Arris Surfboard), docsis 3.0 enabled plus brought my own tivo + cablecard instead of using Cox's crappy box.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:

Review by hokeye See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Fairfax,VA
Good "VERY FAST SPEEDS AS PROMISED -- EXCELLENT RESPONSE TIMES BY LOCAL TECHNICIANS "
Bad "NONE"
Overall "SERVICE HAS BEEN EXCELLENT --ROCK SOLID BETTER THAN ADVERTISED SPEEDS :-)"

I have been a customer of COX HSI for nine years and decided to update my prior review.

I LOVE COX COMMUNICATIONS HIGH SPEED INTERNET SERVICE !!!!! That pretty much sums it up.

I LIVE IN FAIRFAX COUNTY VA - COX SERVICE HAS BEEN ROCK SOLID FOR YEARS. [Over the past 3 years since my last review, there was one minor outage that was fixed within 30 minutes. There was a major outage during an extreme storm which left hundreds of thousands of electricity customers in the area without power for days. My power was restored within one day and Cox Internet was up and running when the power came back on

I had the need for one service call. The appointment was made for the next day before noon. The Cox Technician was here on time, identified and fixed my problem in under 5 minutes, [a loose connection in the cable box room on the floor of my building.]

When I have needed it, their24/7 telephone tech support has been excellent.

I need to move from my current home. Before I give serious consideration to a new home I first check with Cox to make certain that Cox services the area. I will not move anywhere in this state where I would not be able to have COX as my Internet provider. Their major competitor here is Verizon FIOS. I used Verizon 10 years ago. I detest Verizon. I'd rather live in my car than move to an area where Verizon would be my ISP.

I have recently been considering moving to the District of Columbia. I have recently been diagnosed with a painful medical condition known as Peripheral Neuropathy. Clinical studies have proven that one of, if not the best, sources for relieving the pain of Neuropathy is smoking Marijuana, As of Today, possession of up to two ounces of weed is legal on non-Federally owned lands in DC. It is legal to smoke and grow it in your home. Selling Marijuana remains illegal but I have yet to see anything saying that buying it is illegal. All of this info comes from a Press Conference given by The DC Police Chief on Monday.

So I had found an attractive, reasonably priced place for rent in DC. I just made some calls. Cox does does not service that area. Comcast would be my ISP. Gawd! I was just reading some reviews/complaints on one of the Comcast complaint sites. It is no wonder to me now why they are the most disliked corporation in the USA.

I'd rather suffer the pain of my Neuropathy than have Comcast as my ISP.

I do not watch TV, haven't owned a TV in over 18 years. I only use a cell phone. So I really am not that sensitive to the comparative prices of ISPs, but because I don't pay for cable TV or a phone landline I really don't care about the cost of my Cox service. I am retired and partially handicapped and constantly use the net. So for me the COX price for it's Premiere Service is a bargain.

IMHO, AT LEAST IN VA, YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH COX COMMUNICATIONS FOR YOUR ISP. THE SERVICE COX HAS PROVIDED TO ME HAS BEEN TERRIFIC !

[This is an update to a review I posted a few years ago]

Comments:

Review by lbradshaw77 See Profile

• Location: Vienna,Fairfax,VA
Good "always connected"
Bad "connection contains noise, is low throughput though labled "
Overall "Cox was good, could be good, unfortunately... they are Bad."

Apparently Cox Communications is stretching their technology skills to the breaking point in our area - N. Virginia. Several (more than 5) times in the past month the service has been just awful for hours at a time, some times all day and all night. One presumes they are adding more traffic, boosting combination services or something like that, still, they should not cause TV and phone and internet bundled services to all go into the toilet for more than six hours at a time one or two days a week. Clearly, their super-duper bundles are taking priority over less costly "preferred service" bundles.

What we need here is a Service Level Agreement, something that obligates the service provider or ISP to a certain level of performance, and that repays the customer when that performance level is not met. Say, oh, maybe 5 free minutes of service to every customer for every 1 minute of service lost, or below par. Self-enforced but also subject to audit and small claims court (or State Attorney General) action. The issue, for me, is that I pay for "Preferred High Speed Internet" advertised as 50MBs download speed but routinely test it at 5.2MBS. 10% of advertised speed. That ain't what I call "High Speed".

Ordinary citizens, we sell something that isn't what we sell it as, heck, we are prosecuted. Cox or other large ISPs sell something then have "outages" on a one or two day a week basis and nothing happens.

If you get Cox service, be sure you read the fine print, and negotiate an SLA!

Comments:
zampaz
join:2010-04-14
Winchester, VA

Comcast Business Class in N. VA.

I've had a lot of issues with CC Business class in Winchester (N. VA) too, and communicating with business side is terrible...unless you're speaking to sales...as far as support and accounting/change services departments...a nightmare. Comcast can afford to ignore customers as that's the nature of the monopoly based single cable provider "free market" that politicians allow us to have.

Hard Harry

join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

SLA?

Does Cox residential negotiate SLA's? I thought the ToS is clear on that. Or is this a review of Cox Business?

Review by debbieandjon See Profile

• Location: San Juan Capistrano,Orange,CA
Good "Speed"
Bad "Value"
Overall "Local High Speed Monopoly"

75.80.242.x wrote: BS

====================================================
Preferred Mbps average speed still below advertised levels... Using Docsis 3 modem

"The maximum download speeds without PowerBoost® are as follows: Preferred 50 Mbps; Premier 100 Mbps; Ultimate 150 Mbps."
====================================================

member for 15.1 years, 1346 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

IESee

@75.80.242.x

HHMMM133;.

So, let me guess… We will most likely get another post next November when your promo rolls off huh? Over the 11 1/2 years of your post, you've had a few rate increases… WHICH EVERY COMPANY HAS DONE… Do you complain about the prices on restaurant/Fast food blogs because the Big Mac/Whopper are no longer .99 cents? From 1mbps - 50mbps and your rates went up.. How dare they.

mediocrecox

@68.4.214.x

2 recommendations

Re: HHMMM133;.

It is certainly time to complain when those rate increases come faster than competitors and are accompanied with caps that do not increase along with the prices. It is also time to complain when you are always the last market to get upgrades and continually pay the same prices for speeds far below other Cox markets.

It is not about price increases, it comes to where Cox is compared to their industry peers and in that Cox is lacking. Just today I finally gave up after 35 minutes on hold for a tv tech support issue. I have been trying to get through to Cox for 3 days only to be compelled to rot on hold far longer than I have time for. Tried the online chat to the same result...completely abandoned after the introductions.

It may be hard for you to contemplate but as an ARPU customer running $335 per month, I expect better as, GASP, do some others.
nmlobo

join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA
·Cox HSI

Re: HHMMM133;.

In your title you wrote that Cox has a local monopoly - - if so, then what competitors are you talking about in your comments? They cannot be a monopoly if they have competitors. BTW, I thought this was an HSI (High Speed Internet) forum. Wouldn't your comments on television support be better addressed in a cable television forum?

Re: HHMMM133;.

There aren't any competitors at this location that offer 5+ mbps high speed. Fiber is not available. DSL connections do not offer more than 3 - 5 mbps.

Television support was never mentioned.

Competitors = AT&T

TV was mention by @68.4.214.x

Review by raventai See Profile

• Location: Alachua,Alachua,FL
Good "Fast reliable service, "
Bad "not cheap, "
Overall "the ultimamate pachage in Alachua is fast and reliable everything you want in internet service. "

From spring of 2013 to fall of 2014 we had cox HSI ultimate package in Alachua, price was 99/month, in that 18 months it was down for an afternoon once, and less than a handful of times for a few minutes, one of the most reliable internet services I have ever had.

the provided cisco all in one cable modem/gateway/1gb/s router/wifi was solid, we started with it in the living room and wifi reception in the bedroom at the other end of the house was weak, I moved the modem up high in a central hallway (the modem had holes in the bottom to mount on the wall) and wifi reception was perfect throughout the house and into our small yard reaching about to the street. we had as many as 15 devices on the wifi, between laptops, phones, tablets, streaming boxes/sticks etc, the kids would watch kids shows on netflix in thier rooms on roku's, we had a chromecast in our bedroom and a roku 3 in the living room, on a good day the cable modem could serve 4 HD streams but even on the rare "bad" day two devices could stream video smoothly. the 1gb/s wired connection to our two desktops was more responsive and faster than the wifi as expected,

because of the reliability i had few dealings with customer service, with once exception, we did not have any other form of TV service except streaming video, plus heavy torrent traffic, so monthly we would exceed our data "cap" of 400 GB sometimes as much as a terabyte each month, our bandwidth was never restricted nor was I charged more, I would just get an e-mail asking me to upgrade to a higher package, but I already had the highest package available in my area. I asked customer service about this and they were also at a loss as to why I was receiving these e-mails so I just kept using data as needed,

In fall of 14 we moved and could no longer get cox HSI, of the many cable providers I have had in the past COX has been my favorite, second only to the verizon FIOS fiber optic connection I had in Pasco county.

Recomended

member for 2.2 years, 7 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by nmlobo See Profile

• Location: Yorktown,York,VA
Good "Internet and overall system reliablity"
Overall ""Speeds" greater than advertised"

More than ten years with Cox. Service is excellent, seldom have any problems. The few problems I have experienced were corrected within a timely manner. Internet, as tested on the Cox speed test site and testmynet, are higher than adverstised for my plan. I have never been bothered by the caps, I doubt we use half of what is permitted.

Three televisions, three computers, two ipads, two iphones and a smart frame all share the connection. Like others, I am not happy with the annual - - or sometimes semiannual rate increases. They have, however remained in line with the other local provider.

member for 12.3 years, 2742 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by coxocala See Profile

• Location: Ocala,Marion,FL
Good "speed"
Bad "customer service"
Overall "better than Centurylink"

Preferred package
Using my own modem

member for 248 days, 320 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by silentdisco See Profile

• Location: Surprise,Maricopa,AZ
Good "faster downloads and more reliable uploads compared to an equal cost centurylink plan"
Bad "should have switched later as the difference between preferred and premier for new subscribers is only $10 currently. "
Overall "I had centurylink and switched to cox. for my location, cox has a better internet product at a lower cost!"

Package: Preferred package (50 up/ 10 down) $50 for service and another $9.99 for renting their wifi modem. we also have phone thru cox but not TV (happy directv user for 5+ years). we switched from centurylink because their internet service was not reliable here in Surprise, Arizona. we had the max centurylink internet package (40 down/ 5-10 up IIRC) and frequently hit the download speed but rarely the upload... common uploads were in the .5 to 1 megabit per second range. technicians frequently tried to fix it but couldn't so we switched to cox. we pay less now for faster internet that is more reliable! currently we frequently hit 60 megabits per second down on download speedtests outside of cox's own speedtest.

Install: install and ordering process regarding internet service was fine. in hindsight, I wish they would have told us to to wait because of the current deal for new subscribers and cox's premier plan but cox is a business and I was ready to switch from centurylink so I don't fault them for that. technician that came out was friendly, knowledgeable and polite. only issue with the switch was in regards to our phone service but it wasn't anything cox did or didn't do more so of centurylink dragging their feet in releasing our number so cox could port it. we got our number ported eventually but it took 2 weeks. cox actually gave us a temporary landline number so we (my wife actually) could still use the house phone until our number got ported properly.

Equipment: renting a Netgear CG4500BD which is a dual-band wireless router/modem. I'm somewhat knowledgeable with routers/modems and for a cox provided gateway (Netgear CG4500BD) this works pretty good. We have 3-4 ios devices that are usually connected simultaneously to the gateway wirelessly, a PC hardwired and a PS4 that connects wirelessly for gaming/netflix from time to time and haven't (knock on wood) had any problems with connectivity, speed, gaming or streaming. the dual-band wifi router works admirably on all of our wireless devices. Obviously if you have the time, the knowledge and money buying your own modem and router is better from a maximum performance perspective but at the plan we're on I think you just need something that works consistently. if we upgrade "up" to the next internet plan (premier) I'd probably recommend buying your own modem & router as the cox supplied gateway is very limited to what the user can configure.

Other Thoughts: I have hard time hearing anyone on the phone but a positive to me is everytime I've contacted cox I've spoken with someone who speaks American English (or at least does a good job of faking it). speaking with centurylink was hard because most the time I had a hard time understanding the person I was speaking to as their English was not their native language. I'm happy with cox but we only really have 2 options currently in Surprise, AZ and cox is definitely the better ISP of the two based on quality of product and price. would recommend cox over centurylink as ISP to anyone in Surprise or Sun City area. only regret is we should have switched later as the difference between the preferred and premier package for new subscribers is now only $10 a month more...to switch now it would be $25 a month more