Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by N10Cities See Profile

• Location: Fort Smith,Sebastian,AR
Good "Fairly consistent speeds, friendly customer service"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Very fast service, compared to other solutions locally."

·World Lynx
Currently using the Cox Bundle.

Phone quality is excellent, TV picture quality is great with no pixelation encountered so far at any time of the day. Currently subscribed to Premier Internet tier and am getting very consistent up and download speeds at most times of the day.

I have heard we have DOCSIS 3 service now, but need to save the greenstamps to get a compliant modem so I can enjoy the new speeds, but currently using an Arris eMTA which is working very well for me..

Update! 3/30/11. Upgraded to the Cisco 2850 Gateway device so I would be DOCSIS 3.0 compliant (still running Premier) and it REALLY boosted my speeds. Last test on Speedtest.net was 62 Mb down / 5.5 Mb up.

Recently got an HD TV and upgraded one receiver to HD (no DVR). Picture quality has been excellent.

Highly recommended service!

Update 10/5/12

No changes. Service still rock solid...

Update 9/16/14

Currently using Ultimate Tier and no TV. Consistently pulling 170-180 Mb/sec on speedtest (i know, i know, boost...but still fun to watch). Streaming Netflix works perfectly with no lag as well as high throughput downloading content from Steam, Origin, etc. Highly recommended.

member for 12.3 years, 5193 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by AmericanLoco See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Fairly reliable, decent speeds"
Bad "Hideously expensive, "
Overall "It's probably better than comcast."

Cox is alright. It's really expensive for what you get and the cable TV image quality is really bad, even the HD channels. Way too much compression. OTA digital broadcasts look much better. The internet is ok, but does suffer from minor outages occasionally. Also, if you don't have a DOCSIS2 modem, they'll inject messages into websites you go on harassing you to upgrade to a DOCSIS3 modem on your own dime. Pretty shady practice there.

updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by BryanInPHX See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Reliable Connection"
Bad "Phone CS, and Tech Support not very Tech savy"
Overall "Downloads vary from 50Mbps to 100Mbps w/ 4x4 modem"

Update 09/11/14
Cox High Speed Internet Premier (100Mbps/10Mbps)
Cox has delivered overall excellent service and reliability over the last 13+ years
I still have a 4x4 SB6120 modem, so the download speeds can drop to 40-50Mbps during peak times. I am sure this would be more consistent if I upgraded to a 8x4 modem, I just do not feel the need at this time.

Update 02/16/12
Cox has not delivered on advertised speeds in almost 1 year. The best sustained download with Premier HSI at off peak times I can achieve has dropped to 17Mbps, I would drop to Preferred HSI, but I would lose my grandfathered bundle discount which is a substantial discount.

Update 05/28/11
Received new firmware SB612X-1.0.5.1-SCM00-NOSH, firmware is very stable.

Update 04/20/11
Cox Arizona claimed they were raising speeds, But Cox eliminated or substantially limited PowerBoost. Sustained Downloads now only average 19Mbps, so increase was actually a decrease. Also, burst speedtests are now capped at 30Mbps with Premier HSI, Where before burst speeds could easily exceed 60Mbps.

Update 09/01/10
Premier HSI - Sustained Download speeds are still averaging 22Mbps, Good job Cox.
Firmware updated to SB612X-1.0.3.1-SCM00-NOSH on 08/30/10

Update 05/08/10
Sustained Download speeds are still averaging 22Mbps, Good job Cox.
Reclaimed DL speeds by moving back to SB6120-1.0.1.7-SCM00-NOSH, after Cox finally admitted SB6120-1.0.2.4-SCM01-NOSH did indeed have a speed issue: »Re: SB6120 1.0.2.4 Speed Concerns

Update 4/28/10
Download speeds are back up today with sustained DL speeds averaging 22Mbps, Thank You Cox, I hope the issues are resolved.

Update 4/27/10
Seriously, often I actually have to wait for images to load, Did I switch to DSL during an Ambien coma???

Update 4/21/10
I have Premier HSI - 20/4Mbps Service, 25/5 w/ PowerBoost®
I switched to an SB6120 modem on 4/3/10. At that time my sustained download speed was an average of 22Mbps, and was fairly consistent for about two weeks. I noticed my modem logs were gone at 10pm Thursday evening 4/15/10, and thought it odd, and posted it online. I noticed Monday morning 4/19/10 that my sustained download speeds now averaged only 12Mbps. I then discovered my modem firmware had been updated on 4/15/10. That explains the missing modem logs. Does it explain the 50% reduction in download speed? You do the math!!! I am paying for 20/4Mbps service and getting 12Mbps. Preferred HSI is 15Mbps @ $46.95, I think Cox owes me an $18.06/mo credit as long as this continues.

I have had Cox HSI since it was Cox@Home, many years ago, about 10 years. Cox@Home started out at $29.99/mo w/ 10Mb/s download speeds. At that time it was not always reliable. The past several years have been mostly reliable. My connection now is always reliable, and speeds tend to be as advertised. I am on the Premiere service w/ Phone and DVR/HD Cable, with two tiers and HBO & SHO. Pay a total of $202.00/mo.

Every Tech to visit my home by both Cox employees and Cox contractors, have been a pleasant experience. Techs have been respectful, well prepared, knowledgeable and have always resolved my issues, including pulling a new line from the pedestal to replacing splitters to calling other Techs for advice. Phone CS and Tech Support on the other hand is usually not very helpful. The same goes for Live Chat and email support.

Modem: SB6120, Firmware: 1.0.1.7-SCM00-NOSH

36.32 Mb/s
Average Upload Speed
6.11 Mb/s

Average Sustained Download Speed: 22 Mb/s

Comments:

AGBM01

@68.111.124.x

Slow speeds

Get a 8X4 modem or even 16X4 modem

Your 4X4 modem is your problem, if all 4 down channels are swamped you will have slow speeds. you are paying for a service thats going to be affected buy your modem, you need to be using a 8 Down X 4 Up or 16 Down X 4 UP (channels)

BryanInPHX
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

Re: Slow speeds

Yes, I realize the 4x4 modem is the issue, At this time I do not feel the need to upgrade, as I really have no use for speeds above 40-50Mbps.

AGBM01

@68.111.124.x

Cox upgrades and you have slow speeds

1. Upgrade modem
2. Upgrade router must be compatible to modem to get = performance
3. Are you wired or wireless? Being wired you will see speeds your looking for.
4. If you are like many, most people use wireless and not wired, Wireless going to be slim to get those speeds and may need an AC router. AC routers performance is great, and can get you up to the speed increase you are looking for. Are your wireless cards in your computers up to the speed increase of an AC router?

Cox offers the best products available to it's customers. Customers need to make sure there equipment is capable of even getting the new speed increases. As a customer you must realize Cox can give you all the speed you want, but if your Equipment is outdated its your fault you are not getting the speed you want.

BryanInPHX
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

Re: Cox upgrades and you have slow speeds

My Router is an ASUS RT-N66U, Speeds are equally as good wired vs wireless. Desktop is wired, Laptop is WiFi.

Review by asiatrails See Profile

• Location: Owasso,Tulsa,OK
Bad "Slow service and bad support"
Overall "Used to be great, now not"

I am running the premier service which is supposed to have just been upgraded to 100 MB down and 10 MB up, I am not getting that level of service. Using Cox's preferred speed tester, 0.77Mb down and 11.4 up is the best I have gotten over the last week.

The upload speed is excellent and what I should be getting, the download is garbage. I just spent over two hours with a tech who was not even at the level of a script reader, this is not the type of internet service, or support, on which I spend money on. She was very hard to hear and told me she had her headset turned way down, frustrating !!!! Asked if she could arrange a technician visit and got a story about how she was in Alabama so I asked for a call back to schedule a technician visit, two hours ago and still waiting.

Went through all the usual steps, turn modem on/off, what light flash, reboot router, plug in laptop(s) for direct connection, check wireless settings, power levels and signal to noise rations on modem are good 35db minimum and power level of 5 db/mv maximum.

Problem looks like it is on the downstream line, and gets really bad after heavy rain, box flooding maybe???

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

LazamairAMD

join:2001-03-14
Catoosa, OK

Check your splitters.

We experienced something similar to this, which required a service call. Since COX did their upgrades, they are using frequencies that are being filtered out by your splitters. If you look at the splitter and it shows 5-900MHz, then you need to get those swapped.
If at first you don't succeed, try a different screwdriver.
asiatrails

join:2014-09-06
·Cox HSI

Re: Check your splitters.

Thanks for the tip, Cox have been working in the area for the last week and service is crawling back up to where it should be.

I did get a call from a Cox tech who was going to be at my house to check the internal wiring in 10 minutes, no can do, I said, I have this thing called work to do.

Got a long saga about how customer service had set this up with me, they had not. Asked him to check the splitter on the box outside and he wanted to know if it had been installed by a Cox technician or a contractor. No idea as best I can recall the van had Cox on the side of it, sounds as if they all do.

Ended up he refused to come by to check it, told me to reschedule with customer service. I just spent over 30 minutes on hold, waiting, no answer.

Waiting for the next big rain to see if they have fixed the problem. I just want the service that I am paying for.

Review by Bolt Pride See Profile

• Location: Escondido,San Diego,CA
Good "Great Speeds and Reliability"
Overall "Beats the hell out of DSL!"

Somehow when we placed our order online the Fast Connect Kit did not get shipped to us. We then called Cox a few days after our kit was to arrive and they said the kit would be here in a few days, but again the kit never arrived. So to make a long story short the kit finally arrives almost two weeks late.

I have only been using COX HSI since July 06, and so far I'm very satisfied with the service, the connection has been rock solid and with the upgrades we have been getting lately it's all that much better.

We had just migrated over from DSL, and with the distance from the CO., our fragile copper lines that could barley hold a 1.5/384 sync, I could not be any happier with Cox cable.

As for the service, we are on the preferred package 9/768 and are getting slightly above our advertised speeds.

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::
Download Connection is:: 11735 Kbps about 11.74 Mbps (tested with 12288 kB)
Download Speed is:: 1432 kB/s
Upload Connection is:: 1351 Kbps about 1.4 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)
Upload Speed is:: 165 kB/s
Tested From:: »testmy.net (Main)
Test Time:: 2008/07/16 - 11:10am
D-Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-985QPW4AD
U-Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-7092FGTXL
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.16) Gecko/20080702 Firefox/2.0.0.16 [!]

***************************** UPDATE July 16 2008 ************************************

We have had our service for 2 years now and couldn't be happier with the overall service. The speeds have been rock solid and the connection has been very reliable.

*****************************UPDATE Feb. 25 2010***************************

The connection is still rock solid and were getting slightly above our advertised speeds on the preferred tier which was just upgraded from 10/768 to 12/1.5

***************************UPDATE Feb. 20 2013**************************************

Our connection still has been rock solid and our speed on preferred has been increased to 18/2 and we are getting slightly above the speed on the speed tests.

*************************Update October 30 2013***********************************

Our connection has been rock solid with one exception of packet loss in our neighborhood since my last update. The Cox people were on the problem and it was solved in a few days. We also just receive a upgrade in speed from 18/2 to 25/5.

member for 13.5 years, 6293 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by coxocala See Profile

• Location: Ocala,Marion,FL
Good "speed"
Bad "customer service"
Overall "better than Centurylink"

Preferred package
Using my own modem

member for 82 days, 102 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by terabyte See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Consistant speeds"
Bad "Not what advertised"
Overall "There Data Usage Meter is inaccurate"

Three complaints about Cox's Ultimate HSI:
1. Advertised speed 150Mbps down, Cox website tests at 180 Mbps, Speedtest.net 80 Mbps.
2. Data Usage Meter is inaccurate-reports 18 Gbps per day usage even on the two weeks I was out of town on vacation.
3. The Preferred and Premier HSI tiers received a free speed increase but Cox has done nothing for the Ultimate tier customers.

Comments:

Review by otom8 See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "Nice and fast - connection is working well except with one device/service"
Bad "Repeatedly getting logged out of Xbox live"
Overall "Better than CenturyLink, but Xbox Live problem is very frustrating"

Aug. 8, 2014: Price on bill was as expected. I did not get connected until about 10 days after subscribing, so I called, and Cox gave me a credit for the days I wasn't connected -- that was a big plus. About a week into the new service, all seems to be working well (desktops, laptops, tablets, phones, reliability, connectivity, bandwidth, etc.), except that Xbox live keeps getting disconnected. I kept both my old Internet service (including modem-router that came with it) for about a week, so I could compare both services. Xbox live works perfectly fine with my previous service, but it is intermittently disconnected with the new Cox modem-router. The modem-router is a Ubee DDW366. Cox's tier 1 and 2 tech support have not been able to help me with this problem, so I am going to switch out the modem-router with a different brand at the Cox store, and see how that goes. (This is odd since I'd expect that a significant number of Cox's HSI customers use Xbox live, perhaps Ubee is a new brand for Cox?)

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Need to adjust your QOS

Most Cox users use either Motorola or Cisco for their modems / routers..

I got a Cisco DPC3010 modem with a Cisco RV042G router.

You should be able to adjust your modem's / router QOS setting to prevent disconnects from your XBox.

otom8

join:2013-02-25
Henderson, NV

Re: Need to adjust your QOS

Thanks a bunch - great info.
P.S. I did wind up adding port forwarding in the Ubee's settings for the Xbox's (fixed) IP address (UDP and TCP for ports 88, 3074, 53, 80), but that did not resolve the problem.
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Re: Need to adjust your QOS

Might want to take a look at this.. Looks like your not the only one with Xbox issues and Ubee modems / routers.

»forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox···661.aspx

»forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox···301.aspx

Also you might want to put the Xbox in the DMZ zone.. Let it have a direct connection to the internet.

Review by Scotty See Profile

• Location: Bellevue,Sarpy,NE
Good "Cox HSI just doubled our speed for the same price!!!!!"
Overall "Cox has the speed. I'm at the point where I might drop Cox TV and watch TV online instead."

I'm signed up for the Cox Preferred internet package, 50mbps down and 10mbps up at a cost of $64.00 a month. Cox just doubled our speeds here in Nebraska as of July 2014, and that is why I've updated my review today. Cox did not raise the monthly cost for this increased speed! The speed is just right for my needs and I've had excellent 24/7 service. The internet has improved to the point where I'm able to view most TV programs online. I'm considering dropping my Cox TV service and maybe upgrading my internet speed to the next higher tier. It has been several years since I dropped our Cox phone service. I'm using a smartphone for all phone calls and have not had any problems. I even had one occasion where I had to call 911E and the emergency response was excellent. I'm assuming they used my phones GPS to locate us.

Comments:

SugarDaddy
join:2005-03-03
San Diego, CA

COX HSI

I don't know when you wrote your review dude but I have COX Ultimate here in San Diego and as of Oct. 2013 the speeds are 100 down/20 up (with the actual numbers much higher usually 130's/ high 30's). This is for $99 a month. Some other Cox locations now have 150 MBPS down which is fairly compatible with EURODOCSIS and what South Korea can deliver.

Scotty
join:2002-11-10
Tustin, CA

Re: COX HSI

Appreciate your reply. Yes, it has been a while since I've updated my review of Cox. I will update it soon. Their speeds have improved quite a bit from years ago. My son lives out in Irvine CA and he has speeds almost like yours. Guess living out here in corn country it takes awhile for the upgrades, ha. Best wishes and enjoy all that sunny California weather. I'm from Redondo Beach CA and hope to return soon.....I'm tired of all this snow and cold weather every Winter.
chuckkk

join:2001-11-10
Warner Robins, GA

Cox Middle GA

A recent "speed increase" was just put in place. At this time last year, the download speeds were 80-90Mbps (uncapped) Then the Premier speed was capped at about 32-36 Mbps. The recent "increase" raised the 36Mbps to about 46Mbps.

Due to the increasing number of annoying commercials, I'm about ready to drop TV service and go back to broadcast tv.

Review by sniperboyz See Profile

• Location: Portsmouth,Portsmouth City,VA
Good "Cox still get free powerboost that possible to reach 50+mbps from Preferred Tier. Great speed and quality."
Bad "There nothing bad with Cox. I don't see any slow connection or reboot modem. Hope it wont go bad in future."
Overall "Good pings in distance. Almost never got problem with Cox while 8+ years."

We currently use Premier package. We get about $237 for bundle with TV, Internet, and phone. My current home network are Cisco DPC3010 8x4 modem, Asus RT-N66R router, Cisco 24 ports POE switch, and three Cisco Aironet N600. Our devices are to many on list that handle with Netflix, Facetime, Online Gaming, Skype, Web, Youtube, etc. with no problem. I don't really see any problem with spike from modem or router at all. We do get 65 Mbps download and 12 Mbps upload at mostly of time. It is excellent service we got. Good news Cox are making double speed for now in USA for only Preferred and Premier start with 50/5 and 100/10.

The router and modem currently using:

Modem: Cisco DPC3010
Router: Asus RT-N66R

Speed is usually goes around 65Mbps/12 Mbps but it depending on powerboost max out. No probem have appear. Just very recently issue from Cox which are upgrading and maintainance. I am happy with that.