Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by debbieandjon See Profile

• Location: Irvine,Orange,CA
Good "?"
Bad "IESee @75.80.242.x HHMMM133;."
Overall "Monopoly"

75.80.242.x

So, let me guess… We will most likely get another post next November when your promo rolls off huh? Over the 11 1/2 years of your post, you've had a few rate increases… WHICH EVERY COMPANY HAS DONE… Do you complain about the prices on restaurant/Fast food blogs because the Big Mac/Whopper are no longer .99 cents? From 1mbps - 50mbps and your rates went up.. How dare they.
IESee

HHMMM133;.

member for 14.9 years, 1317 visits, last login: a few minutes ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

IESee

@75.80.242.x

HHMMM133;.

mediocrecox

@68.4.214.x

Re: HHMMM133;.

It is certainly time to complain when those rate increases come faster than competitors and are accompanied with caps that do not increase along with the prices. It is also time to complain when you are always the last market to get upgrades and continually pay the same prices for speeds far below other Cox markets.

It is not about price increases, it comes to where Cox is compared to their industry peers and in that Cox is lacking. Just today I finally gave up after 35 minutes on hold for a tv tech support issue. I have been trying to get through to Cox for 3 days only to be compelled to rot on hold far longer than I have time for. Tried the online chat to the same result...completely abandoned after the introductions.

It may be hard for you to contemplate but as an ARPU customer running $335 per month, I expect better as, GASP, do some others.

Review by nmlobo See Profile

• Location: Yorktown,York,VA
Good "Internet and system reliablity"
Overall "Everything works as advertised"

Television and internet customer for more than ten years. Service is excellent, the few times I have had a problem, it was fixed within 24 hours of my call. Speed and reliability of internet are awesome. The service is a bit pricey though with at least one cost increase every year . . . two last year.

member for 12.1 years, 2680 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by smk11 See Profile

• Location: Pensacola,Escambia,FL
Good "Fast depending on time of day"
Bad "Late night maintence knocks connection offline way too much"
Overall "Ridiculously expensive or okay connection"

Sales is absolutely terrible when dealing with them. Your local competition? Cox sales will lie through their teeth about how their connection and service is terrible. It's so bad that it is laughable--and maybe even illegal with the ridiculous exaggerations they make.

Connection speeds are okay but holy crap is it expensive. For the price you would think uptime would be high, well you would be wrong. Maintenance or something happens like clockwork in the early mornings knocking the connection completely offline. It lasts about 2-3 weeks and comes just about every other month.

Overall, so long as you can deal with the early morning outages AND you can get a promotional 12 month rate, Cox is okay. Otherwise, pick something else.

Comments:
chuckkk

join:2001-11-10
Warner Robins, GA
·Cox HSI

Cox & outages for maintaince

In Mid GA, the Cox web site will claim that the network is "normal",
even though it's down or limping along. First level and second level tech support varies
from sort of ok to abysmal. Trouble is that it's the only "high speed" game in town.
The other local providers are 10Mbps or less. (Cable, ADSL, etc.)

Review by planet See Profile

• Location: Olmsted Falls,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "All and more"
Bad "None really. I could only gripe that the cost might be lower and the speeds even higher"
Overall "Get it !!!"

Gotta love cable (2003). Promo for first 3 mos., 19.95 a mo. Self install without a hitch. Great speeds 2800/230 and that was 5 yrs ago. Today, the speeds are running about 10000/512 for about the same cost. I've had a good solid connection for 5 yrs. Only lost it a couple times and this may have been related to hardware issues and once when a neighbor cut the underground cable while installing a fence. Tech support has been awesome. Typically answer quickly and are courteous and helpful to the degree possible. The Techs on the Cox forum here at DSL Reports have been extremely helpful. I think as the market continues growing and becomes more competitive, I hope Cox will offer more speed for less price.

Update, 10 years later (2013)....still with Cox. I continue to concur with my comments above. They have the best speeds locally. I have my internet bundled with TV so costs are a little lower. Wish the bundled cost was lower. I have the preferred package which offers 25 down and 5 up. I own my own modem and router. My connection remains rock solid. Only a few times have there been issues.

Update, 1 year later (2014)...still with Cox. They doubled the download speeds so I'm running 50+ Mbps down and 5+ up. I've been locking in prices for 1 or 2 yrs to avoid price hikes. My full cable package is getting pretty pricey. Not sure how I'll deal with the costs as time moves on. I can only think that more itemizing will be needed versus cable packages. I have plenty of channels that come packaged that I don't watch. But I digress since this is a internet review...

member for 13.1 years, 5149 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jchambers28 See Profile

• Location: Alma,Crawford,AR
Good "50/10 service is really fast better than centurylink "
Bad "Not goole fiber expensive for what u get capped installer was a asshole."
Overall "if ur stuck in a centurylink area this is ur only real option. "

I have had service for 3 days not seems to be stable. Good speed 50/10 really fast. I had a installer the was a complete asshole with a bad attitude to go with it. Glad I did the self install option. the service is so far so good.

member for 7.6 years, 4049 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Laszlo See Profile

• Location: Ocala,Marion,FL
Good "Reliable connection, good introductory pricing"
Bad "Horrendously incompetent install techs, required multiple visits"
Overall "With the slowest speed, DSL was actually faster, but bundling is cheaper"

After visiting my 82yo grandmother in April, I found she had been paying $77/mo for home phone AND $33/mo for her _long distance_ provider. I bought her an Ooma and set up $4/mo VOIP service, which doesn't charge her 5 cents/min to talk to her grandkids. Unfortunately, I was 1000 miles away when we realized her internet was provided by her phone company and the Ooma number port would terminate her CenturyLink DSL, thus cutting off her VOIP phone too. I hurriedly arranged for Cox internet (her existing cable TV provider) to be set up, and ordered a cable modem and router for her from Newegg (to avoid an $8/mo modem rental fee).

Trying to leave enough time for the package to arrive first, I scheduled the install for May 2. Unfortunately, the confirmation email listed April 30 instead (it was 12:30 AM on the 30th). This would be a problem. I started a chat with Cox to try to correct their error, but the CSR said it would be impossible for her to fix it. I'd have to do that by phone at 8:00 AM, before the install window. After a stressful sleep, I sorted it out in the morning.

However, it turned out that the install tech was incompetent and wasn't able to complete the install that Friday. Despite listing the requirements in my online order (running a cable to her sunroom and likely installing a wall jack), the Cox guy came unprepared to do that. After 3 days of no phone or internet service, Cox was able to get her hooked up. Yet this time, they did a sloppy job, leaving the cable hanging off the outside wall and creating a tripping hazard in the yard. My grandmother (who had cracked her hip after tripping on a garden hose last year) called many times to complain, and I think it took a couple more visits before it was tidied up for her.

Following the install though, everything seems to work fine. Calls from her are usually good quality. Though sometimes scratchy, which might be the Ooma, or because she chose the slowest 1 Mbps option for internet. It is cheap though. $15/mo for the first year, and $30/mo thereafter. I'm visiting again currently, so paid $5 to bump up to 5/1 Mbps (promo possible for 6 months, but can be downgraded with no penalty to the $15 promo when we head home). 50/5 speeds would be $63, 100/10 would be $74, and 150/20 would be $100, if she had the need, which is cheaper than I get in PA.

Comments:

Review by UFO BOGIE 1 See Profile

• Location: Wichita,Sedgwick,KS
Good "Very Good Service, Very happy .."
Overall "Going to stay with them ..!!!!"

·Vonage
I had ATT. DSL, for about 4 years...., Just got tired of the run around. and the add ons, just time for a change. I had the 1.5 speed but the best thay could get me is 1.1 or 1.2 at the best.. So I went with Cox I've had it about 2 months so far,, so good.. I'm on the 7 mg speed now, but going to do the 3 months at $29.99, then go to the 1.5 speed at $26.99, I'm retired, can;t aford the good stuff,, plus I just do a little surfing and reading so that will work good for me. Will let ya know how it goes in a few months. Update 7/2/08...Very Happy with Cox.. Service has been very good... The 1.5 speed is alot faster than the 1.5 speed of the DSL that I had with ...ATT... Customer service has been real good & fast.. & get to talk to a real person faster too...... so I'm very happy with what I have.. Its 2/01/09 Been with Cox for awhile now.. very happy with the service.. I don't have any problems with them.. GOOD SERVICE..!!! Update 8/14/09... Still a Very good Service.. NO problems at all.. UpDate..8/14/11.. Well I left this area for 2 years. Went to the NW. part of Alabama, Had Comcast Service, it was a Bad...!! A lot of problems with the service, I am so glad to be back with COX.... BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK...!!!!!

Comments:

UFO BOGIE 1

join:2008-05-01
Wichita, KS
·Cox HSI
·Vonage

WATCH OUT..!!!

I've been with Cox around 6 years now.. You better kee an Eye on them thay will Double charge you ..if you don't keep a close watch... & getting your money back will be... Well ...!!! Let me put it this very hard & thay will put extra charges on ya..so watch it..!!!

Review by lbradshaw77 See Profile

• Location: Vienna,Fairfax,VA
Good "always connected"
Bad "connection contains noise, is low throughput though labled "High Speed""
Overall "Cox was good, could be good, unfortunately... they are Bad."

Apparently Cox Communications is stretching their technology skills to the breaking point in our area - N. Virginia. Several (more than 5) times in the past month the service has been just awful for hours at a time, some times all day and all night. One presumes they are adding more traffic, boosting combination services or something like that, still, they should not cause TV and phone and internet bundled services to all go into the toilet for more than six hours at a time one or two days a week.

What we need here is a Service Level Agreement, something that obligates the service provider or ISP to a certain level of performance, and that repays the customer when that performance level is not met. Say, oh, maybe 5 free minutes of service to every customer for every 1 minute of service lost, or below par. Self-enforced but also subject to audit and small claims court (or State Attorney General) action. The issue, for me, is that I pay for "High Speed Internet" but routinely test it at 1.2 or 1.7MBs. That ain't what I call "High Speed".

Ordinary citizens, we sell something that isn't what we sell it as, heck, we are prosecuted. Cox or other large ISPs sell something then have "outages" on a one or two day a week basis and nothing happens.

If you get Cox service, be sure you read the fine print, and negotiate an SLA!

Comments:

Review by amungus See Profile

• Location: Manhattan,Riley,KS
Good "fastest available in area"
Bad "recent troubles with consistency"
Overall "usually very good"

·KCH Cable
Update: 10/23/2014

50Mbps since a few months ago. Bill is just north of $60/mo.
Consistently get advertised speed, sometimes a bit more.
Max available in area is now 150Mbps (two tiers above where I am now, still on "preferred")
Next lowest drops all the way from 50, to 5Mbps for a small amount less per month.
Latest DOCSIS 3.0 modem (8x4 channels, I believe) has been steady for over a year, and has paid for itself instead of renting one. Hoping it's useful for a good amount of time. Cox service still good, though price has crept up over the years.

---
Update - Sep. 5th 2013:

Back to Cox since around June 2013. The house had a rental modem/router combo unit (Cisco, I believe) and speeds were inconsistent, as was wireless stability. Replaced with a modem that I purchased, and new router. Speeds stable and consistent ever since. Wired connection was slightly better on the rental, but it's nice to own my own stuff, and I prefer to have a router that I can tinker with a little bit.

Currently on the "preferred" plan (25Mbps I believe) and speeds are consistent.
Their fastest plan is 100Mbps, I think. "Powerboost" allows for 188Mbps, so I have heard.

It's good to be back.

---

I've had Cox internet since 2002. When I first signed up, I was on the 3Mbps "preferred" package and would get 4.4Mbps most times. Since the upgrade to 4Mbps, I got 4 down, and 512kbps up, which was good.
At that address, they were great. Not only was the service good, their support was awesome. Any problems were solved quickly and by friendly people.
One day a line was snagged by a passing truck, and they had people out there fixing it that very same day, and double checking every point on the road. Techs were always friendly and took pride in their work, and for good reason.

At my new address, I signed back up with them, on the standard "preferred" service again. Things went smoothly, and speeds were consistent.
After about a month, I had to go to the "basic" 256kbps up/down for financial reasons. It worked, barely. I suffered through it, and was still able to surf web pages fairly well.

Recently, I opted for the "premier" package because of a promo offer for 3 months at $40.
I have yet to see 9/1 speeds. Upload has been mostly consistent, at 1 Mbps, but download speeds have been nothing short of horrible. Sometimes, in the early morning hours, I can see 5Mbps, but this is NOT what I am supposed to get.
After numerous calls, and troubleshooting, the issue is still unresolved in my area. The last tech mentioned that my modem might be bad, so I might try a new one. We'll see. From the forum talk, I gather that something bigger is to blame, so I can't say that the local folks are really at fault here yet.

Speaking of the modem, I went with one that they wanted to loan me. Instead they offered a very nice option that I did not know about at the time.
Monthly payments on it. For 4 months, I paid it off about $14 at a time. This was very nice since I didn't want to drive down to a local store and plunk down however much all at once.

Since these troubles, I must say I'm slightly disappointed at the level of service though. Phone techs have been good and bad, but none of this is their fault, and really they can't do a whole lot other than dispatch a tech. Sure they tested my signals etc. but were rather unhelpful the last time I called...
The service tech who tested everything was about my age; young adult. Very knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. He informed me that there was nothing really wrong on my end, and that there wasn't much he could really do.

If the speeds return to 'normal' I'll be a happy camper, but for now, I'd rather have a reliable 4Mbps than this flaky "premier" service which has been horrible.
Download speeds in the evening hours have varied from 2.5Mbps down, to 512kbps down. Very inconsistent to say the least.

Still a good isp for the area, and the people are great. At this point, my patience is running thin, so I may yet consider DSL even though I'd rather not have to get a phone service with that. Either way, as long as the service is consistent, it really is unbeatable around here, so if you go with them, and they're sailing along smoothly, you should be just fine.

UPDATE - 2-27-06
The premier rocks. Finally got the 9/1 package, and can sometimes get 11Mbps!!! My internet goes to '11'!!! Still a lot slower at nights on occasion, but that's because there are tons of college students in my area, and that's just how cable works sometimes. Hey, no complaints here after things got updated. It has become more consistent, and that's all that matters right now.

UPDATE - 12-1-06

Back to "preferred" service for the past several months. Speeds have been very consistent, and I've only had a couple of very short outages that never really affected me. Upload is 512Kbps, Download is now 6Mbps as per a recent upgrade. I've seen speeds nearing 7Mbps at times, but it's usually more consistently around what they advertise at 6Mbps, which is plenty fast for me. The bump for me is reason enough to stay on the preferred instead of spending any more money on "premium" services, though the premium is pretty fast!

Overall, Cox is still doing pretty good w/their internet service around here, and the speed increase is a nice bonus. As long as it's consistent, I'm happy.

------------

UPDATE 7-2-07

Well I've been "upgraded" to whatever the latest speeds are now 6-7Mbps I think, and things are going well for the most part.

No recent disconnects or REALLY bad speed drops like before. Things have just been, well, stable for the most part.

Every once in awhile I do a speed test, and have got some incredible "boost" speeds of up to 22Mbps! ..Granted, those don't last very long, but sustained download speeds have been up to 1.5Mega BYTES per sec! ...Avg. is more like anything from 800KB/sec to 1.2MB/sec.

They must've changed some things at their office, because things have been mostly stable.

Only weirdness is that my IP address has changed a couple times, once it was to some address that was in/near Louisiana if I recall...

Still a fair deal around here as long as you can get a stable link. DSL is nowhere close to their speeds though it is usually a bit more reliable in the long run.

member for 10 years, 1541 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Mivoc See Profile

• Location: Mesa,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Fast download speeds"
Bad "Intermittent packetloss. Terrible technical support."
Overall "Internet connectivity is unreliable, somedays its great, somedays not so much."

Ongoing problems with internet connection makes it impossible for online gaming. I play a lot of online games and have a lot of packet loss issues to my first hop. I have had several techs come out, they never find issues and say the signal looks great. Yet I still have constant packet loss problems especially during peak hours and weekends.

Dealing with technical support is a nightmare. The technicians on the phone offer little more than basic assistance such as rebooting equipment. Anything beyond power cycling devices is a automatic onsite technician. Onsite techs only check problems inside the house and up to the pedestal it seems, anything beyond that is a ticket to yet another department. None of these departments seem to have any idea what the other is doing. It is impossible to follow up with them and find out what is going on.

If you live the in northwest Mesa, stay very far away from Cox.