Cox HSI page on DSLReports

Review by TechnoNinj4 See Profile

• Location: Oceanside,San Diego,CA
Good "fast connection"
Bad "inconstant performance and stupid expensive"
Overall "I really wish there was a ISP in my area"

Honestly I hate Cox, their duopoly with Time Warner here in Sand Diego is disgusting and I really wish someone offered better download and upload speeds for their price if not cheaper. I just recently upgraded my modem so I now have max speeds of 24 DL x 24 UL but its still leaves a lot to be desired, especially compared to services like Google Fiber or Verizon FiOS.

Comments:

Review by blakej06 See Profile

• Location: Westwego,Jefferson,LA
Good "While on Promotion Very Good Speeds For Price"
Bad "Not as fast as other markets for the same price (ultimate) tier"
Overall "better than uverse in my area,faster speeds for better price"

i have had cox since about 2003 and they have increased speeds over the years , before docsis 3.0 there were congestion issues now generally i get my speed 50/5 about 98 % of the time.

uptime during hurricanes (up to a month of outages) are horrible but usually it is very reliable.

some of the other cox markets have 150/20 Mbps download/upload. when your in a market with competition you can get discounts and promotions eaisly. I do not have phone or cable service i prefer landline.

Comments:

Review by chip89 See Profile

• Location: Independence,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Speed , cost"
Overall "Good value for money , great service"

I got the bundle with premier Internet (up to 24 Mbps ) and Cable Tv. It took three days between the order and the Install The tech did everything I asked He even Got me a couple free months of free Dvr service. Speeds have been increased many times From the speed I first got. I have had only one outage For a couple of hours in the time of a year. I pay 120 a month for this and cable tv. It is a very good value for my money.

member for 2.7 years, 1197 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by PinkyThePig See Profile

• Location: Tempe,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Very reliable"
Bad "Tech support is not very knowledgeable"
Overall "Great company"

So far I have had Cox internet at 3 different homes and in all cases the internet was very reliable. The worst I have ever had in the case of down time is 3 hours max and at that point it self corrected and everything went back to normal. Regarding tech support... They seem to be able to help with basic things but anything advanced and good luck getting any answers that are consistent across several calls.

UPDATE: Moved to a new apartment complex about 3 months ago, was able to get everything setup when scheduled and have had no problems (Besides my router which is another story and isn't Cox's fault) changed services from my 15DL connection at previous locations to 25DL/5UL here and so far everything has been going smoothly including consistently above normal speed levels. Additionally when I had moved I had checked prices for century link (The only other provider) and their plans were the same price for half of the speed. So it really was a no brainer.

UPDATE 3/19/13: Still in the same complex but have changed my plan. I tried the weird cheaper TV they had for awhile (1-100 but missing big networks like spike, espn, scifi etc.) and never really liked it or watched it. Not to mention the cable box had massive overheating problems. Canceled that and got the ultimate tier internet as they had double most tiers but tripled ultimate (It has 150/20 IIRC up from 50/5) for 100 a month. Fantastic deal and has been working perfectly without issues since the update. Only compalint I have about it is no one told me that there would be a 50$ tech visit when I called in to order it. Installer was prompt and actually arrived at my place before I did and was willing to wait (ran late at work) so major props to him about that.

I lowered presales information by 1 point 4 -> 3 and upped value for money by 1 point 4 -> 5.

Comments:

Review by cadillact See Profile

• Location: Chula Vista,San Diego,CA
Good "Cox did a major network upgrade in my area in the end of 2012"
Bad "As of today not really anything. Some people might say price but not me."
Overall "Well its either cox or 24 Mbit DSL."

Well I got a IM from the "system" here to do a review of my ISP.

So its going to be based on 9 years with Cox.

Last 2 years in the apartment-----> No connection problems. Didn't test bandwith

Two years in the condo------> No connection problems. Didn't test bandwith

Five years in the house------> First 4 years no problem really. Did test bandwith

Now we come to the last year. After the last wildfire last year, that is when it started. It was slow only during peak hours. (I have now 15/2 premiere) I have had 2 techs out here and the problem is not at my house. Finally after some talk with an UBER specialist, it was "some" equipment along the route. Speed was good enough again in May-08 during peak hours. I have NEVER had any problems off peak hours. Before they changed my speed from 12/1 to 15/2 my upload speed when tested, was never off more than 30 kb always around 1.08 Mbit.
I have asked if my node is or was congested and one tech says it is and another says it's not.

Today, 27 July-08 when I tested my bandwith during peak hours. I was all over the place from 3 to 17 and everything in between. It is now July-28 at 1am and speed is back to fast mode again. The funny thing is that I have asked SEVERAL Cox techs this "What speed am I supposed to have during peak hours" Still have not got a straight answer from them.

So how long is peak hours?
Well it varies, the peak last longer during the weekend, usually to midnight in general. During weekdays it usually to between 10:00 to 11:00PM.

Speed during peak, this is for late July-08
Speedwise it varies, today was the worst I have seen for a while. But I usually get around 7-8 Mbit or better during peak. Enough for me to not call cox at least.

I still think the node is congested but I'm going to wait to see if it gets worse or better during peak. I need more tests before I decide to call Cox or not. I will also see later on when I play the more bandwith hungry games if I lag or not.

Feb-2013:

Well Cox has upgraded their network in my area so since oct-nov 2012 it has been superb. NO slowdowns, not even during peak hours. It took some time for Cox to do it.(a couple of years). But hey better late then never.

Comments:

Review by ahrimanishnu5 See Profile

• Location: Baton Rouge,East Baton Rouge,LA
Good "50Mbps connection often gets up to 75Mbps. They offer student discounts."
Bad "50Mbps connection is more often 20Mbps. They raise their rates a few dollars at least once a year w/o much notice."
Overall "I would drop for FioS service if it were avaliable. No real alternative presently at my current address."

Cox service is a bit of a mixed bag. They wanted to charge a $100 install fee when I called to establish service. After three phone calls and proving that I was capable of reading a MAC address off the modem, they relented. Online customer service is hit and miss. The only tech I've interacted with at the house (Don) was excellent.

Comments:

Review by djdanska See Profile

• Location: San Diego,San Diego,CA
Good "Fast speedtests, awesome upload, good latency"
Bad "Fast speeds don't apply to actual internet browsing/video streaming"
Overall "Eh, it's not at&t, i guess that's something"

Have cox in san diego installed. Awesome speedtests

Problem being that you can't watch hulu, netflix, or even use facebook without constant page stalls, timeouts, and buffering over and over again.

Run a speedtest and get awesome speeds. What's the use if i can't upload a pic on facebook or watch netflix?

member for 13.9 years, 6837 visits, last login: 1.3 years ago

Comments:

royphil345

re

I would give them a call. You could be having an issue with poor signal quality or packet loss. Maybe a bad modem... Might also be a networking problem if you're using a router. Directly connecting a computer to the modem would be a good test to rule that out... Generally, you shouldn't be having the issues you're having with speed tests like that. Something's wrong somewhere.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

Re: re

I did call em up and they say the signals are all ok, i tried a different modem, etc.. They pretty much told me (and lectured me) to use their on demand only. wtf?

The netflix issues makes sense, they where in the process of upgrading to superHD from them, and it did work flawlessly today.

Hulu still has issues.
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

3 edits

Re: re

I'm glad your Netflix is working better. Have you tried any online tests for packet loss? Any at all is considered unacceptable and they would work towards fixing that if discovered.

I work at home on a network and internet service has to be about perfect. My co-workers and I do have occasional problems with our ISPs, but they eventually get issues solved 99% of the time. Sometimes, they need a little diagnostic help... The techs in the Cox forum here seem very good. Maybe they could take a more in depth look at your line stats and find the problem. Good luck!

The phone support people mean well, but they're not as well trained as you'd think in many cases. Let's just say I should know...

Review by drquincy See Profile

• Location: Las Vegas,Clark,NV
Good "Fast and reliable"
Bad "Not known so far"

Just got a 150 Mbps "Ultimate" with COX. Still trying to figure out the bugs as I am not getting the max yet. I was told that there are some issues in my area and they are working on it. So far I hit 93 Mbps, which is fast but not yet what it supposed to be. While "up to" 150 is just that, and I understand that may not happen every day, I think it should be somewhere in 130-140 to be fair. We'll see what they come up with, but even now I can't complain. Will report back when (if) the issue is solved.

member for 11.9 years, 131 visits, last login: 2.1 years ago

Comments:
nickphx

join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

Make sure your router has a gigabit wan port, gigabit lan ports and you have a gigabit nic in your machines connected to the router..
drquincy

join:2003-04-04
Las Vegas, NV

Re: ..

I have Netgear DOCSIS 3 Gateway, it has 4 gig ports and I have gig card on my PC as well ... still not getting there and I don't think that I ever will. From what I've read the 150/20 is not exactly that but I'll see what they can do. Still, 93 Mbps is not that bad.
nickphx

join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ

Re: ..

Weird. I've hit 180 easily. Could just be speed test sites are crap. I don't rate speeds based on speedtest though.

Chrisg

@cox.net
Make sure your modem can do more than 4 streams. I had a Sb6120 while doc 3.0 it could only do 4 streams and I could get about 120mbps. Replaced it with SB6141 and can hit close to 195 in the dead of the night. Of course I cant be 100% sure that is your problem.

Review by BillRoland See Profile

• Location: Ocala,Marion,FL
Good "Blazing fast, Low Pings, Reliable, official Cox presence here on DSLR"
Bad "Phone/Web tech support is horrific, non RFC Compliant DNS, no NNTP"
Overall "Best value for the money locally, recommend it over DSL any day in this area."

I got Cox Express back in November of 2001 and the service was rock solid. The speed was at the caps and the pings were low. The problem was that there was no e-mail or news service, and the routing out of the local AT&T DS3's wasn't exactly terrific. Had some problems with connection drops, but thanks to the Cox staff at DSLR and the Local Cox guys, the problem was fixed and service has been great since (almost a year ago now).

Now, warp into 2003. We're being converted to Cox High Speed Internet. We're pretty much on the new HSI network already, and the new features like e-mail, newsgroups, webspace, local start page are now being added to Ocala/Gainesville users. We also have an optional 3000/256Kbps tier. The only problem with all this is that while 3000/256 service costs $39.95 in Pensacola and many other places, it costs us $59.99 a month. I don't like it, but I have lodged my complaints with Cox, lets see what happens. That said, I ordered the new tier earlier today and got a notification that it was active at about 3:00pm. All I can say is, WOW! 3200Kbps is my new average downstream speed, and I'm around 240Kbps up. The pings are good to most places, and the routing has become a lot better in the last 6 months. I wish they would lower the cost, but they're still lower than DSL for double the speed. I would highly recommend Cox to anyone. Also, please remember to stop by the Cox HSI forum here at BBR and take a look around.

March 2004 Update: Since the DOCSIS 1.1 upgrade in this area, the service has been nothing short of perfect for me. My speeds have stabled out considerably, and they are always right at the peak. Pings are equally good, and the whole network seems to perform very well from my end. The e-mail/news servers also work well. Cox has been a little late in the game to SPAM filtering, but that's coming down the pike now too. The only thing I am dissatisfied with as a customer is the fact that in Pensacola, Cox HSI (3000/256Kbpp) service costs $39.95, and here it costs $59.95. In that context I feel like we're getting the short end of the stick. In the context of being the best value around here, I don't feel so bad because I feel it is. A tradeoff I guess.

August 2004 Update: Well Cox just upgraded most markets to great speeds at no cost. That's great, but they left me out again. Sorry but the Value for the Money just took a hit. E-mail and news service has not been great lately either. That takes a hit on the review too. I hope I can raise them all back up this soon.

January 2005 Update: Cox upgraded our market back in November and finally unified our pricing and speed with the rest of the Cox HSI nation. As that has really been my only quarrel, I am what you would call completely satisfied with this service. 5000/768Kbps and I'm always right at the cap, especially since pitching my old trusty Toshiba PCX1100u for a Motorola SURFboard 5100. The SURFboard is just much more stable in speed, and I noticed a big performance gain on the upload side. I feel like, for $52 a month I am getting a great value with the amount of speed they are providing. The service has been rock solid. The e-mail hiccups every now and then but its performance is acceptable, the Spam filter seems a little slow at adapting but Spam is less of a problem now that it was before. Also installed Cox Business Internet at my place of employment, the 6000/1000Kbps package, and the speeds are very stable and very close to the caps, so Cox has done a good job of managing the HFC to make sure its not overloaded with the new speed offerings in this area at least. Overall 5 Stars from me.

March 2006: Ok well DSLR keeps bugging me to update my review. Not much has changed, other than Cox has upped our speed in the area to 9/1Mbps service for the premier tier. Only thing I can say about that is I get 9/1Mbps speeds all the time! The pings are solid and low, the service remains solid, overall it continues to be an excellent experience. I've still got my trusty Motorola SURFBoard 5100 doing the honors, runs like a champ. As I said last time, for $52 a month, I feel like I am getting my money's worth. The only negative part to the Cox HSI experience is that the newsgroup service has deteriorated considerably. They use to have a 5 star newsgroup system, now its barely usable at all. Except for that, the service is top notch.

June 2007: I'm still running along on Cox HSI Premier tier. Speeds have been bumped to 12/1Mbps, and we now have PowerBoost which I have personally hit over 21Mbps during a download, so that is pretty sweet. I am hoping soon for 15/2Mbps but realistically, without meaningful competition from Embarq I doubt we'll see this for a while. I've got a Motorola SURFboard 5120 now, it seems to do its thing quite happily. On the negative side, Cox has implemented broken DNS which redirects mistyped URLs to advertisements, which frankly pisses me off. Tier 1 phone support is as stupid as ever. The techs here on DSLR make up for it though. They've outsourced the news servers to Highwinds, which is a group of idiots. Its completely unusable now, I don't even try anymore, which may have been the plan all along. Overall still recommended, but there are some ominous signs developing.

January 2008: Time for an update. I still have the Cox HSI Premier tier, speeds are still 12/1Mbps, but with PowerBoost it often feels faster. The service has been extremely stable lately and overall I have no real complaints. I still am not happy about the DNS redirection scheme, but I have bypassed that by using different, RFC compliant DNS servers. I don't even try the news groups anymore. The e-mail works pretty good and the storage size and attachment size are generous. The Cox employee presences here on the DSLR boards is second to none, and those guys deserve a big thank you from all of us for dedicating their time to helping us out here. Overall I still highly recommend Cox for internet, tv, and phone services.

October 2008: Still going strong with Cox HSI. Speeds are still stuck at 12/1Mbps for the time being, although they have been upgrading their plant to 1GHz, so maybe some speed increases are in the works. No real complaints about the service; it delivers blazing fast speed, is very reliable, and is generally as advertised. They still use their DNS redirects to ads, but I get around that by using alternate DNS servers. Newsgroups continue to decline, I wouldn't be surprised to see them pull the plug on it soon. Webspace is very lacking. All in all, it delivers 100% on being a fast and reliable pipe to the internet. The extras, such as webspace, newsgroups, are very lacking, but luckily there are alternatives that make it a moot point.

May 2010: Still using Cox HSI. Speeds are now at 15/1.5Mbps, with PowerBoost that regularly surges them into 20/5+Mbps while its active. I have to be honest, there isn't much to report. Its still reliable. The speed is still the best in this area by far, but is stagnant. The value for the money has declined a bit; I consider continuous improvement to be a value and it doesn't seem to be happening nearly as much now. Overall I think its a great service, its a little pricey, but still better than DSL any day.

January 2013: Still using Cox HSI. Speeds are now 36/5Mbps with Powerboost up to 45/6Mbps (I actually see speeds much higher than that). Not too much to report, other than the recent multi-day e-mail outage. Its the best speed for the money, its miles ahead of DSL. The price is a little high, tech support outside of the guys here on DSLR is sketchy, but overall highly recommened.

member for 14.1 years, 6346 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by BaitNSwitch See Profile

Bad "Ultimate National Bait And Switch Tactics"
Overall "Bait And Switch Taking Place.. Illigal Markeing Gimmick"

This company is conducting a national bait and switch, offering promotional serviices with contracted fees and speeds. Will charge yoiu the same while cutting your speeds and channels in half.

It is amazing to see scams on a national level taking place of this size.

"Bait And Switch Tactics With Monopolized Market Reach"

Comments:
nmlobo

join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA

Support for your Comment?

You make a general claim without providing any supporting data/information. How can you claim "national" impact; have you lived in every Cox area?

yup

I've definitely seen Cox cross the line. There was a promotional price on the web site listed with a "regular price" after the first year. Nobody at the company was able to give me (an existing customer) what was advertised as the regular price. Sooner or later they'll be hit with a class action suit...

All the cable and phone companies are slick these days, but Cox is the only one I've seen with blatant false advertising.
nmlobo

join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA

Re: yup

Still does not prove a national incident. I've been a Cox customer for 10+ years. I do receive the advertised "regular price" for my service.

Re: yup

Didn't say it did and lucky, lucky you.