ATVCi.net page on DSLReports

Review by NinCrow See Profile

• Location: Berwick,Saint Mary,LA
Good "Absolutely nothing good to mention."
Bad "Host port blocking. Extremely expensive for speeds. Fairly unreliable. Tech support is seldom available."
Overall "Might work for newcomers to broadband. Atrocious ISP for any more technical users."

There are not many good things to mention about ATVCi. In fact I cannot at this moment think of one praise to give them. As for the negatives lets start with a big one. Forced port blocking on the ISP level.

One of the major things I do with my connection is gaming. Lets just say for a gamer how ATVCi handles ports is awful. They force block many ports that are required to host games. After many nights fiddling with game and router settings I could not for the life of me get hosting to work. I figured it was time to call ATVCi and see if they could help. As I named many of the ports I needed they informed me they were closed for "increased security" with no option to get them opened specifically for me. If that wasn't bad enough it gets worse. Lets move on shall we.

My next negative point. Price. The price for service from ATVCi can be called nothing more than exorbitant. Their "ULTIMATE" package costs $89.95 a month for 5mb/s down and 1mb/s up. To top it off, the included email addresses only have 25mb of storage. Only 5mb/s down for $90 a month? Is that a joke? I did some research to see how bad I was getting sandbagged. In a comparison to Cox's premier service which costs $56.99 a month and provides 15mb/s down and 1mb/s up with 2gb of storage per email address. The comparison shows how ludicrous ATVCi's pricing really is.

These points alone would have been enough to make me switch to another ISP... But wait! ATVCi is the ONLY cable internet provider in our entire area due to a contract with the city that prevents Cox from setting up in town. (Which they've actively petitioned the town of Berwick to let them do many times.)

In conclusion, do yourself a favor and find something other than this crap. DSL is a much better option I'm sure. Awful service + Awful pricing + Awful support = a terrible ISP.

Comments:

Review by tenndevil See Profile

• Location: Monument,El Paso,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "wrong ISP"
Bad "Wrong ISP"
Overall "Wrong ISP"

Wrong place, I didn't read real close and it's early sorry.

Comments:

Review by mike385 See Profile

• Location: Morgan City,Saint Mary,LA
Good "Fast speed, good tech support, reliable service, choice of speed and price."
Bad "Cache in place, but that's it for negatives!"
Overall "A great choice for broadband in this area."

I have been online from the beginning, so I have used all the connect options, from dial up, to cable. DSL in Morgan City was slow. The thing I really liked about ATVCi was being able to choice the speed and price I wanted, they have 5 different increments and prices, I was only on #3. I have moved into an area now where I can't get ATVCi, and I had to switch to COX......It is so slow in comparison! and I am on their fastest speed (out of 2 speeds) and none of my neighbors are on cable, AND they are still in DSL speed range. The only problem I had at ATVCi was when I wrote web pages, they would be cached for a day, so I couldn't see my changes until the next day, I fixed this problem my putting the no-cache line of code in my page html, and that solved