Air Internet Inc page on DSLReports

Review by sniperd21 See Profile

• Location: Pahrump,Nye,NV
Good "Fastest thing in pahrump, Fast install & Decent price"
Bad "Startup cost (You keep the hardware though!), Wierd monitoring/upload policy"
Overall "Worth every penny, speeds are faster then what they claim"

I moved from Las Vegas to Pahrump to stay for a few years, and in Vegas I had 3mb Cable, Going from this to Dial-UP Was devastating at the least (People who spend any amount of time online will sympathize). So I Immediately went in search of an alternative, 2 Real solutions came to me, Air-Internet or Satellite internet.

Satellite internet looks good until you see the 2 year contract (At 100$ A month!) and 700$ aprox. Setup, and if you read the reviews of the major satellite internet provider on this board you will see it is truly a bad decision, so I chose air-internet.

I setup an appointment (3 days from the date I called) and they arrived on time and within 2 hours or so I was online, The install cost is 400$ Total, You do get to keep the hardware though which includes a Directional Antenna & a Cisco Aironet 350 Wireless card (Which could be used for the Antenna or as a normal wireless card).

After using the service for approximately 2 months, it has been reliable except for a few intermittent problems(5min bursts of unavailability), I Currently get speeds of an average of 80k-120kbyte/sec (If the other server can support those speeds) which is 640 - 960 Kbps(Bits a second, ISP's like to quote it this way), Which is WAY over the speeds they quote for download, in my experience you will see upload speeds of about 1/4 of that. You also get a static ip (Which is nice, but hosting anything is forbidden so its not 100% needed).

The only things I would like to see Different are an encryption scheme for the wireless connection (like on a Wireless LAN) and a more relaxed download/upload policy as far as file sharing is concerned.

Also the Tech support has always answered my questions in a timely manor and many times almost immediately (By email).

Overall I can fully recommend this service as it is worth the money (50$ Month) by far and has kept me online fast and with consistency, and you will *NOT* find a better bang for the buck deal in Pahrump.

Comments:

Review by davemelo See Profile

• Location: Fritch,Hutchinson,TX
Good "Their chimpanzees set it up at your house, surfing in less than an hour!!!"
Bad "a little pricey, cleanup after chimps finish with installation."
Overall "faster than our local cable, town has no DSL."

Here in Fritch Texas I use amatechtel.com high speed wireless. They
operate the largest fixed wireless network in the United States. They
place their receiver/transmitters on water towers and grain elevators in
approximately 30+ towns and cities around Amarillo Texas. Home and
businesses place an antenna about the size of a clip board on the side
or roof of the building. The range can operate out to 8 miles. On
average my speeds are 800-1100 down and 100-300 up. I have had it since
October 2001 and their network is down rarely and when it is it is only
for about an hour. Also includes email server virus/spam stopper that you configure. I hope this info helps.

Thanks,
David

Comments:

Review by soulburner See Profile

• Location: Pahrump,Nye,NV
Good "It's the only form of broadband out here that ISN'T satellite"
Bad "Occasional service interruptions"
Overall "Service has been more reliable than not, with decent speeds for the price"

When I was researching broadband options out here, it didn't take me long to get to Air-Internet. The only other option that I know of is a satellite connection, and that didn't appeal to my gamer side. I asked a few people what they knew about the service, and I found out that they are adding bandwidth on a fairly regular basis. I decided to go into the furniture store where their signup/questions office is, and ask some questions. No, their main office isn't a furniture store, but yes, it is where they have new signups go.

First question that I wanted to know about was limits on the service, specifically caps on downloads and uploads, and caps on the amount of data you can move each day/month. They said that they don't care too much about what you do with the bandwidth, just so long as you don't run a server. Also said that you can download and upload as much as you want, but if you start moving several gigs per day, they are going to want to know what you're doing. I've downloaded and uploaded several gigs per day the past few days, and they haven't questioned me about it, or cut/capped my service. I then asked a few people that had the service how they liked it, and they said they were pleased with it.

I read about them on their website, and the little brochure thing that they give out to people considering the service. All in all, I was pleased. So I went ahead and scheduled myself in to have an installer come by. This was on a Friday I believe, and the installer made it out to my place on either Monday or Tuesday (I can't remember which day it was) at 8am, just like he had said.

Let me preface this by saying that I do NOT like the installer, but this is because of previous dealings that I've had with him, from before he was affiliated with Air-Internet. Despite this, I will put this aside for the purpose of a fair review.

He showed up with all the equipment and hardware needed in his van, and didn't have to ask to borrow any of our tools. He asked where the computer was, and where we wanted the antenna mounted. I showed him where my computer is, and showed him the awning right next to the computer. He got the wireless card for my computer (Cisco 350 PCI card), and said we should install that first, because if for some reason the card doesn't work, there's no reason to do the rest of the install. The card worked, no problems.

He then started putting together the equipment, which included connecting some fence-type poles together, to get about 20-25' height to run from the ground, to a couple feet above the roofline. After the pole was together, he got the ladder out and went on the roof to mount the antenna. He did that, and then aimed the antenna using a laptop with Cisco's site survey software. Then ran the cable (not sure exactly what kind, but I know it was some thick coax that's pretty stiff) into my room, and connected it up to my computer. I would have liked it if he left some extra cable, incase I ever decide to move my computer, but I don't think I will be moving it any time soon, so it is not too much of a concern.

He did some speed tests, and I was pleased with the speeds. They guarantee 128kbps each way, and I was getting about 400kbps down, 128kbps up. We signed the install form, saying that he did the install, and that we owed them $400 for it. This is probably the best part for some people... he said he hates having to collect money from people, so we could just come by their office sometime and pay them. So, I had a working connection, and all the hardware, without having to pay them a dime. It took a couple days to get down to their place to pay, but they didn't seem to mind.

The only thing I didn't like about the install, is that the installer wasn't too knowledgeable about the service. For my install, the antenna was at a good height to clear the trees, but for other people that I know with the service, their antenna is pointed right at a group of trees. So, your install my vary. But, he showed up on time, did the install, was gone in about an hour, and even cleaned up the mess he made in my room from running the cable.

Now, about the quality of the service. There has only been one MAJOR outage, where it lasted about 2 days. The actual outage itself lasted only a day, but once the service was restored, it was worse than dialup for a day. Other than that, the service hasn't been too bad. Every so often, the route out gets REALLY bad, meaning that pings to my gateway are measured in seconds, instead of milliseconds, or they just time out. When it happens, it's VERY annoying, but it doesn't happen TOO much.

My biggest complaint with the service, is the tech support people. When I e-mail them about a problem, they blame it on everything but their service. They blamed military once, which I've confirmed through two different people who are qualified enough to speak intelligently about their claim, to be a flat out lie. It may be true in other areas, but not out here. When I asked them why military was never stated on their site as causing problems, and why their site said there are very few things that CAN cause problems, they told me to call them up and they will start the refund process. I don't like being lied to, but other than this problem, their service is good. So my solution is to just not speak to the tech support people, unless I ABSOLUTELY have to. I learned from other sources that they don't exactly like my family, so this solution works for everyone involved.

Now that I've shared my experiences, I will recap about equipment, pricing, speeds, etc.

IP type: Static.

Install: $400. This included the Cisco 350 wireless PCI card (AIR-PCI352), 19dB (I think, I'm not 100% certain about the gain) grid antenna, about 25' of coax cable, and to have the installer come out and put it all together. We own the equipment as well.

Monthly cost: $55. There is no contract length that you have to sign up for. You can cancel it whenever you like, and there are no disconnect fees or anything like that.

Caps/limits: None that I've really found. They said they capped me once because I forgot that I left eDonkey was running, but if they did, they must have uncapped me the next day, because I didn't notice any long term effects. Just so long as you don't upload at full speed all day every day, I don't think they care too much.

Speed that they guarantee: 128kbps down, 128kbps up

Fastest speeds that I've received: Fastest down I've received was 1mbps, but I've only seen this twice. Fastest up I've received was just today actually, at about 300kbps.

Speeds that I see consistantly: Anywhere from 400kbps-600kbps down, and anywhere from 128kbps-300kbps up. My upload started at 128kbps when I signed up, then was increased to about 200kbps, and just today seemed to have increased again to about 300kbps.

*whew*. I think I've covered just about everything.

- - UPDATE - -

It's been brought to my attention that the person that I stated didn't like my family is NOT in a tech support position, like I mentioned in my post. I apologize to the tech support for this.

member for 11.8 years, 1995 visits, last login: 3.8 years ago