Earthlink Cable Modem Service page on DSLReports

Review by marcusj3000 See Profile

• Location: Shreveport,Caddo,LA
Good "Great price, great speed the same anytime of day"
Bad "just got sevice 6 days ago so none right now"
Overall "great all around value"

·Suddenlink
·AT&T Southeast
·LINGO
Order and install took only three days. Much better than road runner.
speed is at a consistent 2100kbps down and 410 up.

Update 5 February 2008: Sorry I dumped them a long while ago back in 2004 because they have become mediocre at best. The big boss have push them out and now they are falling apart.

Abandon SHip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update 20 July 2010: I have ditched them like back in 2008. they are dieing a painful death since the FCC is so weak.

Comments:

Review by EinNYC1 See Profile

• Location: Flushing,Queens,NY
Bad "Lately the connectivity goes out every few days"

I got the Earthlink cable, up to 10 Mbps service. Ordering and installation was fine, within a couple days (6 years ago). Earthlink uses Time Warner lines. If you need tech support, Earthlink has you call TW directly. Up til about 2 weeks ago, the connectivity was fine. Lately, I could go offline any time, which stinks. I was having Denial of Service attacks, so TW told me to go swap out my simplistic Motorola modem which they had supplied to the Arris 1670 modem, which incorporates a router. That stopped the DOS attacks immediately. Then a couple of weeks later, the connectivity issues started. I swapped out the new modem for another of the same model a couple weeks ago. That did not solve the problem. I had the tech come to the house last Sunday. He monkeyed around for over an hour and wanted to swap my modem for an older, lower tech one. Nothing doing. I kept my brand-new modem (which TW has recently started charging rent for, like $4/month or something like that). He removed a splitter that I wasn't using on the coaxial cable. He checked the exterior utility box. Then he left, pronouncing everything "cured". Last night, I went offline again. This morning, back online. Until the next problem. I was told that they had several outages within a couple blocks of me a week ago when I went offline, and last night they also had several customers out a few blocks away. They mentioned a nearby relay station as the source of last night's problem.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:

Review by Fisamo See Profile

• Location: Apex,Wake,NC
Good "Always on -- 'tis true"
Bad "Can't offer TWC's best speeds now."
Overall "Good, reliable broadband connection; reasonable price"

Update, 4 Feb 2014:
After about 10 years with Earthlink, it's time to switch to TWC Road Runner. Why? Because my discount with TWC is expiring, and the new price for my TV-internet bundle ends up being the same as a new TV-internet bundle promotion that boosts my download speed to 30 and upload speed to 5, and adds whole-home DVR (vs our current service that's one DVR, one regular cable box).

In preparing for the switch, I decided to purchase my own cable modem (SB6141) so I don't have to pay TWC the $5.99/mo lease fee (edited from $7/mo per comment below). Until now, I've had the original SB4220 that TWC provided me when my Earthlink cable was installed. When switching my cable modem, I saw no change in service (speed): typically 7M/600-700k observed, despite what I thought was currently supposed to be 10 or 15 down / 1 up. I thought the reason I hadn't been seeing better speeds was the SB4220 modem.

I also upgraded my router from a 802.11g model with 100M LAN to a 802.11ac model with gigabit LAN. Replacing the router, however, made my actual speeds match the advertised speed on my speed tests.

Farewell, Earthlink--it's been a decent ride, but TWC is putting an effective squeeze on your service offering, since you don't have access to their DOCSIS 3 service. Their new speed and service bundling options are enough for me to switch. I just hope (and expect) that I will be satisfied with my new TWC broadband service.

Original Review:
I've had Earthlink cable for a few years now, and I haven't bothered to write a review, because there isn't much to say. The connection is actually powered by TWC-Raleigh area, so I guess Time Warner gets credit for uptime.

All dealings with Earthlink (the few that I've had) have been pleasant, and they've resolved any issues I had right away. Same goes for calls directly placed to TWC.

Pre-sales info was really taken care of by TWC; all the information was on their webpages, and I chose Earthlink, because they had the best installation deal (no-charge install; free use of equipment--no "rental" as I would have been charged $3/mo if I went with RR). The information was accurate and well laid out on their sales page.

Install went smoothly with TWC contractor.

I'm in a new neighborhood, so the cable buried in my area is new. Quality of the connection is excellent; it supports my VoIP line quite well.

I'm not a big fan of their software, so I don't use it anymore. Now that I have an independent pop-up blocker, it's another application that takes up screen space/clock cycles. Webmail is fine, but it would be good if they upgraded each account to more than 100MB (after all Google gives away over 2GB).

In terms of value for money--I give it 4 of 5, because I'd really like more upload bandwidth. When I want, for example, to order several digital prints, it can be agonizing.

Comments:

JimMcCoy

join:2011-08-20
Jacksonville, NC

Friendly FYI

Modem lease fee is $5.99 / month, (0.20 cents per day).
Fisamo
join:2004-02-20
Apex, NC
·Earthlink Cable ..

Re: Friendly FYI

Oops--off by $1 (present day, of course--you never know when TWC will increase the lease fee). At $6/mo, the modem at $80 is paid off in just under 14 months, and I had TWC's SB4220 in service for about 10 years (with no lease fee). If this one stays in service for that long, I'll save quite a bit.

Review by AmyC See Profile

• Location: Hermitage,Mercer,PA
Good "Offer lower cost cable service than Time Warner with no modem lease fees"
Bad "Seems to be the bottom of the barrel for Time Warner servers. Unreliable and inconsistent service."
Overall "Don't bother to switch unless you need to do so for $ sake. Not worth the reliability loss."

We switched to Earthlink after having Time Warner Cable service for over 5 years. Time Warner out of the blue began charging us monthly lease fees for the same old modem they installed 5 years prior. Their customer service was terrible. Earthlink uses Time Warner's backbone and they were cheaper and don't charge a monthly modem lease fee. It seemed like a no brainer.

Now when we need help with billing or service, we still have to deal with Time Warner and we have less reliable service. It seems that they must lease out IPs to Earthlink with the worst possible service.

We are so sick of the monopoly Time Warner and Verizon have on our area. There is no decent internet service and nothing we can do about it.

Comments:

Review by Good Ol Dan See Profile

• Location: Spring,Montgomery,TX
Good "Faster (and cheaper) than DSL, no contract, nationwide dial-up"
Bad "Variable speeds, high latency, clueless support"
Overall "It works, but don't expect too much..."

After SBC and my ISP couldn't come to terms over DSL service, I was suddenly among the broadband "homeless" and decided to have a look at cable. I found that Earthlink was available via Time Warner cable in my neighborhood.

Speed promised was "about" 2000K down, 384 up. After a very easy install to my Netgear router (and no grief from the installer about being on a network), those speeds were confirmed.

I signed up on line, and did everything else online too, including scheduling the install time (on a Tuesday, after signing up 3 days earlier on Friday). The dial-up access and e-mail were available immediately upon signup. Compared to the troubles I experienced initially with installing DSL, this was a walk in the park.

After a month or two of smooth sailing, the troubles began. The speeds that seemed stable in the beginning became wildly variable. Due to Time Warner's reliance on the "in house' AOL Transit Data Network, latency at peaks times would skyrocket and routing to even nearby sites might involve 20 or more hops. Earthlink and Time Warner, despite numerous complaints and documentation from users (see the DSL Reports forums) would only occasionally admit there was a problem, and would usually blame it all on the fact that someone might be using a router at home.

So I took the time to find another good "partner" ISP with SBC, and moved back to DSL after about three months of cable service. Cable is probably fine if you plan to check your e-mail and maybe watch a movie trailer now and then... but if you are serious about consistent performance, run away!

Dan

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by DurhamDanger See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Bad "Had to hang up on the person"
Overall "Sales person in India very aggressive and very annoying"

·Frontier Communi..
Called to ask about availability of certain speeds, pricing and when they could install. Instead I got a person sounding desperate to make a sale. Person lies about the deal is only for today and not tomorrow; wanted to set up the account right away even though I did not agree to any such thing. Called back several times when I told the person to please not call me back.

I will miss Frontier's customer service when I switch to Earthlink. And I am only do so because Frontier expects me to pay $30/month for less-than-dialup speeds until they get their infrastructure together...sometime in June.

Comments:
tasmithe

join:2002-09-16
Graham, NC

Earthlink!!

Just go with Time Warner! It comes through their lines anyway and costs the same! PLUS, 99% of the time you get a call center in NC or SC.

Review by Earthlinky See Profile

• Location: Forest Hills,Queens,NY
Good "Full Internet speeds as advertised"
Bad "Connection issues, horrible support"
Overall "If you have FIOS use them"

Horrible support and the network is not run well. I should not be timing out at the first hop and routers should not be experiencing high packet loss.

Would switch to FIOS but it is not offered here yet.

Initial installation took awhile and EarthLink kept referring me back to Time Warner but I eventually got service installed.

Comments:

Review by dellfromhell See Profile

• Location: Eads,Shelby,TN
Good "Earthlink sub-contracted to Comcase cable locally."
Bad "Confusion with Comcast support as to who our ISP really is when we need support"
Overall "Fairly reasonable cost for generally reliable service. Lately, (late 2012 to present) large fluctuations in up/download speeds"

Contracted with Earthlink, locally provided by Comcast cable. Overall acceptable, but large swings in upload/download speeds lately. For recent hardware exchange, local (in-store) personnel were rude, unprofessional and generally ignorant. Bottom line: product is marginally acceptable, customer support (face-to-face) terrible.

Comments:

Review by cchhat01 See Profile

• Location: Elmhurst,Queens,NY
Good "$29.95 for 6mo, blazing fast, single digit pings, ALWAYS CONNECTED, CATV not reqd"
Bad "41.95 afterwards, otherwise this is the service to have (if OOL is not an option)"
Overall "Very reliable service, best bang for the speed/buck, no extra cost if no CATV"

·RCN CABLE
I've been on and off with cable modem services because of budgets, as I am a college student. I've tried Road Runner (6months), then EarthLink (for 1.5 years as soon as I knew it was available), then Road Runner again (for about a month) and RCN for 4 months and now I'm back to EarthLink (and I love it).

As you can see I've been a man about town when it comes to cable internet services. I started with Road Runner as it became available. It was horrible. The speed was good but the connection reliability was pathetic but it was the only feasible option since DSL was too expensive then. Then as soon as EarthLink was offering the Cable Modem service through Time Warner, I switched. It was lower priced by a few bucks and it didn't cost anything extra to have just the cable modem installed (with no other services from Time Warner). Road Runner charges you $10 more if you do not have the Standard Cable TV service package from Time Warner. So I saved a bit there. At that time, EarthLink was also experiencing some connectivity issues but their’s was so much more reliable. Connections barely went down once in two months.

I tried RCN a while later because of the promotional rates. It never disconnected but then again, I wasn't satisfied with their USENET services. Really terrible. And the ping times were in double digits. So Cancelled that after a while.

Back with EarthLink now. On a promotional $29.95/month for 6 months (this is the 4th month I think) and $41.95 thereafter. Their Usenet service is much much better than it used to be a year ago. The connection has been rock solid stable (knock on wood) since I got their service. I cannot complain about this at all. I hated the RCA 315 modem but it’s the best in terms of holding up the connection so far.

Ping times to/from DSLReports are almost always in single digits. As low as 6 ms. I don't understand how two services offered on the same cable line can be so different (comparing with Road Runner).

So do I recommend the service? Hell yea. If you can get it, then get it. Stop fooling yourself and experience some real broadband.

UPDATE: 01/10/2013: I haven't had EarthLink service for ages now. I went to RCN for a better deal and have stuck with them more or less...

member for 13.2 years, 3669 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by LoneGreyWolf See Profile

• Location: Winter Haven,Polk,FL
Good "So far the speeds have been consistent and over the advertized speed by a little, 11.4 Mbps as opposed to up to 10Mbps."
Bad "None yet."
Overall "No complaints as of yet, but only have had the service for 10 days."

I ordered Earthlink service through Brighthouse on December 17 and set the install date for the 21st. Installation happened as it should on the 21st with no surprises other than being told they could only provide me with a 6 foot cord and I needed the modem to be across the room so I could hook the television up with an ethernet cable. Ended up just putting the modem and router on top of my wife's china cabinet near where the cable outlet is.

The service has been consistent and I have no complaints as of yet. Have my own linksys router connected for wireless capability and have it secured through MAC filtering.

Since it's only really been 10 days, I will review a couple months out.

member for 11.9 years, 1272 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago