Earthlink Cable Modem Service page on DSLReports

Review by Rojo_P See Profile

• Location: Lancaster,Fairfield,OH
Good "Price - Reliability"
Bad "Tech Support - no Turbo Boost"
Overall "Good Value"

I was forced to EarthLink for a time as Time Warner's Tech Support (even at level 3) couldn't manage to change a Webspace option I erroneously selected. Hours with Road Runner technical support only to be told that I couldn't change the choice. Simply ridiculous, when I could have canceled the account and signed up again and eliminated the problem!

EarthLink basically uses Time Warner's lines with TW doing the billing - the switch was made with just a phone call.

I am presently back to Road Runner to save a couple of bucks. Both services are pretty much the same, with minor (for me) differences.

Comments:

Review by tbarnum See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Near-perfect for 4 years, total outages about 40 hours."
Bad "Had to go downtown to exchange one modem"
Overall "I can really rely on this supplier. and I do."

Phone connection with Time Warner has been very effective in all outages, and the time responses have been very quick.

member for 14.2 years, 148 visits, last login: 1.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by XPAMD See Profile

• Location: Rawson,Hancock,OH
Good "Speed, and Value!"
Bad "Support Unavailable when you needed, 3 different support numbers Ring Busy!"
Overall "Get it, but expect to not get ahold of them service e-mail account issues late in the evening when they're suppose to be open!"

Update 7/22/2011

Once again Earthlink can't get it's act together. They seem to believe I should be paying for an email account, after I've told them, TWC has confirmed with them that I have a Earthlink Account via TWC, billed by TWC.

This situtation was supposed to have been resolved by someone with Earthlink Corporate, I supplied by TWC account number which was requested.

Today I got a call saying that I owed a little over 6 bucks, obviously I was furious, and requested a supervisor. Ultimately he decided to Txfer me to Customer Services. I have e-mail the corporate contact as I refused to get passed around.
==================
For some reason Earthlink decided to deactivate my email account. I have tried 3 different numbers and all come up busy, I tried the chat feature, ends up being a big waste of time!

If it weren't for the price I would switch to TimeWarner, at least then I know I would get some sense of service.

Rated down the Services category.

=========================
Ordered on 3/27.2011 via sales chat.

Install Setup 3/28/2011 via Time Warner Cable

Installed 3/29/2011
Tech was very good and knew his stuff. Appt window was 4 to 7. He called @ 5 he arrived about 20 minutes after 5.

Subscribed to 15Mbps/768K Getting close to advertised speeds.

I previously had Service a few years ago at my previous residence.

Comments:

Review by daveck See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
Good "Extremely fast (uses Comcast's cable system, over 21Mbps down, 3Mbps up)"
Bad "Occasional disconnections"
Overall "Well worth the money; recommended"

I've used Earthlink's cable modem service for many years now. As of today, my speeds are over 21Mbps down and over 3.5Mbps up. The ping test is 12-14ms. Originally the cable service was provided through Warner Cable, which wasn't particularly good. Then Comcast bought Warner. Comcast service people are very helpful and responsive. Earthlink's price seems to be a bit lower than what I would pay if I got the service directly from Comcast. I can't comment on my original order because it was so long ago; however I recommend Eartlink's cable modem service in Houston.

Comments:

Review by kempj28 See Profile

• Location: Neenah,Winnebago,WI
Good "Cheap cable using Time Warner (RoadRunner) lines"
Bad "Customer service and availability"
Overall "Cheap, but frustrating"

They basically piggyback on TW cable lines. My bill actually comes from Time Warner even through I have an earthlink email. I lose service everyday and constantly need to cycle power on my cable modem. Then, lo and behold, things work. Have called multiple times in this regard and they say someone can be scheduled to come check the lines or I can go and pick up a new cable modem (this is TW service desk..they are pretty good). I used to try the earthlink outsourced service desk but they'd have me doing irrelevant troubleshooting steps. I know they kill certain traffic types and connections to "unapproved" content from "unapproved" sites (I could show you...it's quite funny...probably shouldn't be downloading that stuff anyway). I reset my cable modem so often that I have a remote to shut off the outlet and turn it back on. This lessens my frustration of having to go behind the device to shut it off. Oh, and don't recommend them to anyone because they will tell you they'll give you a "bonus" for recommending, but it will get "lost" and outsourced "service" will be unhelpful and you'll never receive your 20 bucks or whatever it was. Wow, I think I just realized I need a new ISP!

Comments:

Review by Thomas1 See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Upgraded Speed!!!!!!"
Overall "Awesome!!!!"

Update. Now have 15/1. If you live in the Triangle/Triad Area. A Must Have!!!!! Current Customers just Power cycle Modem!!
»www.timewarnercable.com/East/abo···etID=144

Comments:

Review by dustman81 See Profile

• Location: Tallmadge,Summit,OH
Good "Fast"
Bad "TWC's staff didn't know much about it"
Overall "Cheaper than Road Runner if you don't need TV service"

After Time Warner raised my bill for digital cable and internet to $132/mth, I decided it was time to evaluate other options. I signed up for DirecTV for my TV service, but I couldn't get DSL in my neighborhood. While looking at Time Warner's website, I found that Earthlink was offering cable internet for cheaper than what Road Runner was charging.

I switched to the 7MB $44.95 plan. All that had to be done was change the billing codes in the accounting system. Now I'm pulling an Earthlink IP address and getting 7MB down.

Judging from the lack of knowledge about Earthlink at TWC's offices, I took it that not many people know about this option. They had to find the codes, they had to look up what the codes meant and they had to look up how to enter them. Once they figured it out, it went pretty smoothly.

If you need just internet service from TWC, Earthlink is probably your best option as they don't charge the "How dare you not have our TV service" fee. TWC did charge me $9.95 to install a video trap on the line.

5/6/11 - I dropped off my cable modem at the TWC office and canceled my service after finding cheaper broadband elsewhere.

Comments:

Review by ja2007123 See Profile

• Location: Memphis,Shelby,TN
Good "Pricing, excellent customer service"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Good speed and connection stability."

Nov 14 2010:
Placed an order through Earthlink.com.
The pricing plus free modem and installation is better than paying Comcast the extra $15 fee for HSI-only users.
Nov 18 2010: Tech came to ground the cable line and connect the modem.
No downtime or connection problems so far.

April 05 2011
Solid connection, no disconnections or speed issues.

Comments:

Review by starreem See Profile

• Location: Raleigh,Wake,NC
Good "Faster, cheaper, better customer service than Earthlink DSL"
Bad "Some time web pages seem to lag, could be on my end however."
Overall "Sorry I didn't switch earlier"

4/1/2011 No, this not an April Fools review. I just came upon the six month mark of switching to Earthlink Cable. I started out as a Mindspring customer (dial-up) way back in the 90s and became an Earthlink DSL customer in late 2000, after they gobbled up Mindspring. For the last two to three years, my Earthlink DSL had become less and less stable. I went through several modems, lots of difficult customer service conversations, mostly due to the language barrier. I know the problem was with Bellsouth (AT&T). but with Earthlink as the middleman, and me at the end of the stick, it never seemed to be smooth.

I finally gave up the ghost and switched, after what seemed like 8-10 months of reliably predictable outages immediately following any rain/thunderstorm. The last time I had to speak to an Earthlink rep on the other side of the world was when I switched. They sort of messed up my email addresses, didn't lose anything, but it was annoying nonetheless. My bill is now a few dollars less than Earthlink DSL, faster than advertised, and all my billing and service questions go through Time Warner, not some hopelessly difficult to understand customer service rep in a far away land. I don't have TW cable TV, so I'm not paying their "penalty" for having internet without some cable/phone/internet bundle.

The poor cable guy who showed up for a late day appointment spent much longer time, I'm sure than he expected. I had not had cable for more than 15 years at my home. He had to pull cable from the pole on the street, and a second crew came back a few weeks later to bury the cable in my yard.

My speeds seemed slower with the older Linksys router I was using. I opted to install a Linksys RVS4000 gigabit router that I bought several years ago, but it constantly required re-booting with DSL. It has been rock solid with cable. I have experienced only one outage in six months, and that was repaired within 4 hours.

My upload speeds are slower than with DSL, sometimes slower than dial-up, but I'm rarely uploading anything other than web page requests. But my download speeds are consistently 6-7Mb range, well within my email, surfing, Netflix needs. I thought my service was a 3Mb speed, but maybe it was upgraded, since I don't even see a 3Mb option on their webpage anymore. All in all, I'm very happy, and sorry I didn't switch earlier.

member for 13.9 years, 2292 visits, last login: 127 days ago

Comments:

Review by voodooman65 See Profile

• Location: Cocoa,Brevard,FL
Good "Excellent servicea nd good online time"
Bad "none at all"
Overall "one of the most stable isp i have ever had."

The earthlink service from brighthouse networks is probably the best i have ever had. It rarely fails as they ahve picked some extremely good hardware. I am a electronics technician and know all about the hardware they are using. I have had friend switch from RoadRunner and enjoy it much more. I have had the Earthlink voice program as well and it work just fine. There is not a thing wrong with earthlink. & mps down 300 up. Not bad for playing a game when i want or super fast surfing. The high speed download is only good if you have a site that can send you a download at that speed. Not many can as it take a lot of bandwith.