Earthlink Cable Modem Service page on DSLReports

Review by Dark Jedi 00 See Profile

• Location: Elmhurst,Queens,NY
Good "Never Down, Fast Installation, Good Speeds, Great Price"
Bad "Horrendous News Servers, and stories of evil Costumer Support"
Overall "Chose Earthlink Cable above all other broadband providers if you live in NYC"

Earthlink Cable Modem Service is by far the best cable internet provider in NYC. The only other cable company near me that would beat Earthlink is Optimum Online, which runs 5 times faster than the NYC limited 2mbps.

Positives -

- Almost Never Down. Only had a problem with my cable once, and that was becuase a fuse was blown out in my building, but Time Warner fixed the problem within a few days.

- Quick Installation. I had my cable installed within a few days of calling Earthlink, but becuase I was busy for much of the week, I had to postpone the appointment. It might have been possible, if i had the time, to arrange an appointment 2 days after. Cables and everything were already wired within my home, so they only needed to spin sum extra wiring to my computer. A few days afterward another techician came to install the cable modem and everything, free of charge.

- Great Pricing. DSL in the NYC area is almost the same (39.99 for most DSL providers compared to the 41.95 of Earthlink Cable). The cable offers 3 times the speed of DSL at almost the same price.

- Amazing Speeds. For even decent servers, running Download Accelerator, i easily get speeds of 250kb/s. And that's kiloBYTES.

- Don't Get Bothered. I almost always run some sort of P2P program, and probably upload gigabytes of data a month, yet Earthlink has never contacted me once about limiting my bandwidth up or down.

- Misc. - Everything was free, except for the monthly subscription of course, and if your one of those people who can't choose between DSL and cable, i would defientely choose cable. Cable provides instant automatic login as soon as you load up Windows, without all the login/passwords hassle.

Negatives

- Horrible News Servers. I used to use news servers for random tidbits of information, but i found download speeds with the news servers were horrible, ranging for 56k speeds to only about 60kb/s. I tried to get around this by using news programs that allowed multiple connections to try to maximize bandwidth usage. But then again, who actually uses these servers anyway...

- Although I personally never had any problems with Earthlink Cable, my freinds had called Earthlink Costumer Support and comment that they got thrown back and forth between the same people multiple times. But I cannot personally back this up. Plus, what real need have you for Costumer Support?

Bottom line is that this is an awesome cable provider. Verizon caps DSL in our area at a measly 768 kbps, while Earthlink provides cable at 2mbps, exactly the same to that of RoadRunner, except that you do not require an existing Television cable subscription. At a price of 41.95, I don't know of another company better in the New York City area.

Comments:

Review by crestfall See Profile

• Location: Oakland Gardens,Queens,NY
Good "Gee, I don't know yet"
Bad "Horrible installation coordination (worse than my DSL experiences)"

Earthlink and TWC - Scheduled an installation for yesterday after calling us a week late to set up an appointment. Basically was on dial up and because of that was afraid of missing the call so I had to stay off for a whole week and was unable to do my work from home. Finally set one up for yesterday with a 4 hour range. Yea right! But fine, in desperation now so I'm willing to deal. Sit at home from 2-6. No one shows. I call EarthLink at 7 and they say "the tech. will be there by the end of today." Fine. CSR's are open till midnight so I'm keping the number handy. 10 minutes later TWC calls "we have no more techs. for the day" The hell? you mean they just walk off the job or something? The rep offers to reschedule ... for the 13th. "You're kidding" after some negotiations, he puts me on hold for about 15 mins (yes, I'm reasonable, I'm willing to wait ... damn guy probably thought he could get rid of me by putting me on hold). Guy comes back and says, fine, he'll sched someone for today from 10-2. Great thanks, kill my day again. So I stay home the whole day again. By 3 I'm starting to get pissed. around 3:30/4 another CSR calls "No one will be at your house to install your cable today." Yes, thank you ... I think I realized that by now. You couldn't tell me that BEFORE I Wasted another day?? So I get resched for tomorrow from 10-2 AGAIN. An old axiom comes to mind "Spit in my face once, shame on you. Spit in my face a second time, shame on me." But what the hell can I do? Guess I'll get spit on a third time. and a fourth. and a fifth. and a sixth. I'm willing to bet they'll just keep putting it off day by day until they actually get around to it. Credibility dies after a while, and what's more frustration and anger multiplies exponentially. If they don't realize this and just keep sched. fake appts knowing that they don't have enough people and keep putting me off ... I'm inclined to consider filing suit. My grounds? I consider each phone call a contract for services to be rendered. I wait patiently during the alotted time, they come and preform service and complete the sale. I held my end of the bargain, they dropped the ball. I'm willing to bet they pay their lawyers more than the 20$ it would take for me to haul their ass into small claims court so am I willing to waste another day? Sure, but this time it'll be on my terms, and they'd better keep this appt or the judge will be as upset as I am.

Comments:

Review by chaosan See Profile

• Location: Staten Island,Richmond,NY
Good "Easy swtich from RoadRunner. 100% uptime. Price same whether you have CATV or not. Webmail and Unlimited Dial-up"
Bad "NONE although I miss the RoadRunnner toon mascot.."
Overall "If you can get it then GET IT!"

I have had RR/TWC for about one to two years. When I decided to get Satelite and cancel my Digital Cable TV I would have had to pay $60 a month for roadrunner. Luckily, Earthlink had just started to advertise their cable service through Time Warner in my area. I called up Earthlink: 1-800-EARTHLINK. And told someone in the sales deparment that I had RoadRunner through TIme Warner and wanted to switch to Earthlink Cable. They asked me for my RR account information and asked me what I wanted as my primary email and a pin number. I was given a login password and was forwarded to Time Warner tech support where I told them that I switched to Earthlink and the tech support person told me to shut down my computer and restart and I was switched over to ELN! Then I was forwarded to Earthlink customer support who told me how to access my email and such. The total time it took me to switch to Earthlink from RoadRunner was 30-40 minutes. It was very simple and the only fear I had was due to it being so simple. I thought I required more work, but it was that easy! I have been getting the same speeds as RoadRunner: 2000 kbps down/350kbsp down. My pings range from 40-70 in CounterStrike and Unreal Tournament. As for the news servers. I never used the RR servers but the ELN servers do not seem so slow to me. They are decent. I switched over to Satelite TV and my ELN service is still $44.95 per month. IMHO I think Earthlink Cable is better due to some little perks like: Webmail, FTP service, and the unlimited Dial-up hours. Earthlink is a great choice if you can get it.

[edit]

I have now had Earthlink for a while and the service has just been superb. ELN rocks, consistant speeds, reliable, ftp and personal site space rocks.

[/edit]

member for 12.9 years, 741 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by tpeng See Profile

• Location: Forest Hills,Queens,NY
Good "Easy switchover from TWC-RR, same speed & reliability at lower cost"
Bad "Slow news server, news server bandwidth limits, tech support limited"
Overall "Not great, but not bad. Definitely worth it if you don't have heavy usenet demands."

As several others here have done, I decided to try the switch to Earthlink RoadRunner from Time Warner RoadRunner. It was pretty painless - called EL sales, and a rep took my information and set up my account quickly and easily, and told me I would be called within 2 days. That evening, a TWC tech called me and did the switch over the phone. The only problem was that the tech forgot to send a new "hit" to the cablemodem (Toshiba 2200) so it was dead after the TWC-RR service was cut (this was after I got off the line). I called Earthlink Tech support for help, and as it turns out, they had to call TWC tech support to do anything beyond the very basics (the EL rep ended up transferring me to the TWC tech after we both waited on hold for 15 mins). Once the TWC tech reset the lines, everything went smoothly. Tech support on both sides (EL/TWC) was very friendly and positive. Neither EL nor TWC had any problems with my having a firewall/router, and the TWC tech stayed on the phone after the cable modem and line were back alive to make sure everything worked fine in my final setup.

I have seen no degradation in upload speed. Download speed seems solid too, although more time is need to test stability. Since most things are still running on TWC's system, I don't expect major changes; TWC-RR was rock solid to the cap for me, 2mb down all the time.

I also have experienced the deathly slow news servers. Earthlink's servers have far fewer missing/incomplete/problem posts compared to TWC's marginally readable servers, but they are *slow*. Reading usenet on TWC-RR was pretty much instantaneous, and binaries processing was at max bandwidth. Earthlink can take 30 minutes just to get the headers. Bandwidth from the news server is in the area of 5-15% of my download capacity (around 30kbps maximum). Reading longer threads can sometimes feel slower than dialup when moving to new articles.

DSLreports forums have threads on slow EL news server performance going back into mid 2001. So my sense is that it probably isn't a priority for EL to address in the near future. *edit* Newstest2 is much faster, so it looks like there will be relief for EL usenet users eventually!

*Updated* to reflect EL support on newstest2.earthlink.net (thanks!)

member for 11.5 years, 2368 visits, last login: 2.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by AmazingJason See Profile

• Location: Jackson Heights,Queens,NY
Good "1844/344 speed, Only 41.95/month, Free/quick installation, Free dial-up account, No contract"
Bad "Too long to install from order date, Technician came at wrong time"
Overall "Cheap, Fast, No obligations"

The speed advertised was 2Mbps/384Kbps, and my recent bandwidth tests indicate that I'm getting 1844/344, which is incredible. The installation was free, and it was quick (30 minutes). The order comes with free dial-up access per month, an effective (key word) pop-up ad blocker, and 8 email accounts with 10 MB of webspace per account. As a bonus, my first 3 months are 21.95/month. No contractual obligations.

As for the bad points, the installation took too long to take place from the order date, and it took place outside of the time window that Time Warner and I had agreed upon. It took 12 days for me to get cable access, and from family of mine that use RoadRunner, they have received cable installation 2-3 days from order date. As well, on installation day, the cable technician came at 9 AM, when the previously agreed to time was between 12 PM and 4 PM. I did not plan for this discrepancy, and my super had to handle the situation (although it was quick).

A possible future caveat is the level of customer service/tech support, as I've read recent articles about substantial Earthlink employee layoffs.

But once I came home and tried out the connection, it was nothing less than awesome.

In the end, alot of money is saved out of this deal. I am canceling my land line ($30+/month) and my dial-up access ($22/month), and using my cell phone as my primary phone. Since Earthlink is $42/month, I save $10 a month, and I get high speed internet access to boot. RoadRunner charges a ridiculous $54.95 for non-cable subscribers, and their services run over the same network.

Comments:

Review by cknipe See Profile

• Location: Astoria,Queens,NY
Good "Easy switch from Road Runner"
Bad "SLOW service, poor support"
Overall "Not worth the savings"

I switched from Road Runner to Earthlink on my Time Warner cable modem because the service was $18 cheaper per month, and the reviews were glowing. The switch was a very simple matter, and required no on-site visit from a technician. After the switch, however, my connection speed, which had been rock-solid at roughly 1mbit dropped to 300kbits. I talked to earthlink tech support, and the moment they heard I'd installed a firewall on my line, they wanted nothing to do with me. It didn't seem to matter that the firewall had worked fine for 8 months on road runner. All attempts to troubleshoot basicly boiled down to rebooting my firewall, or renewing my DHCP lease. I did these things, knowing full well they would have no effect. When I explained to the tech WHY these steps would not help, and asked to speak to a higher level tech, I was informed that I should remove my firewall, or switch back to road runner. My clear choice? Switch back to RR.

Comments:

Review by tuxq See Profile

• Location: Gastonia,Gaston,NC
Good "Very fast, good stable pings."
Bad "Took a while for TimeWarner to get out here... 5 days!"
Overall "AWESOME SPEED!"

I couldn't order it off the net. So I called up Time Warner and they scheduled me 5 days after I called (Monday). The guy came out here and installed a box with a coupler and ground block in it. I ran my own rg6 cable before he came out... took me all day... He crimped the ends of my cable, plugged it in, brought up a webpage, and left... Can't be any better than that =)

member for 12.7 years, 184 visits, last login: 7.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by SoulStorm See Profile

• Location: Lincoln,Lancaster,NE
Good "Fast, Reliable, Easy Setup, Pop Up Blocker"
Bad "News Group Server, Mail Setup"
Overall "A great service for most people"

It didn't take long from the time I called in the order until the cable guy was at my house. I hooked up the cable modem myself and I didn't bother to install the software on the CD. Instantly I was up and running at good speeds.

That was around Nov. Now I am still crusing along at good speeds and the connection has been very reliable. I also enjoy the free pop up blocker software that Earthlink gives to it's customers. Nice touch. I only needed to contact customer support one time, I don't remember why, but they were very helpful.

However, since I have my own domain I would prefer to use my own mail server to send mail. Earthlink however does not allow this, and because of this I have to limit my attachtment size to what they see fit. Fortunately thanks to a freeware program called HJ List I can get around that when sending large files. Also, They cap their Newsgroup server to dial up speed. WTF! They also have a ridiculously low posting limit to news groups.

In the end, most people will find Earthlink a great ISP. I on the other hand am ready to change providers because I really like news groups and I don't like the limitations Earthlink imposes on it's news group server.

member for 11.5 years, 83 visits, last login: 10.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by elgreco1 See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
Good "No down time, 8 emails with 10 megs space each, free dial up account, web based email"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "More to offer then roadrunner, especially web space and web mail"

Have been with TWC road runner for several months. Monthly fee was 44.95. This month they jacked my fee up to 49.95. In the mean time I received an offer from earthlink for cable service with 21.95 for first 3 months and then 41.95 thereafter. Funny thing is they are using time TWC for their cable.

Called TWC and inquired about the rate change on Tuesday. Reason given: non cable tv users are now being billed 49.95 and cable tv users are still 44.95. When explained offer from earthlink for less, why should I continue with you?? The girl transferred me to their so called "retention office". It appears the only thing they retained is their big butts in their useless seats. All she did was apologize and say there is nothing I can do. if they said ok, we can put you back to 44.95, I would have stayed. But instead, sorry, we don't care about keeping our customers attitude. Needless to say,. I called earthlink as soon as I got off the line with the "retention" office.

The sales person was very polite and explained the process of transferring over easily.

Stated should take anywhere from 48-72hrs to change over. Should not see any disruption in service.

Friday still no changeover. Called earthlink customer service, and explained the situation. Immediately they contacted TWC and completed the transfer. Everything working great. Initial speed tests indicated a bit better then with roadrunner (why I don't know but suspect the aol crap is no longer in play).

Some other perks over roadrunner: you can FTP to your web space from OUTSIDE the network, web based email checking, 10 megs space per email address, total web space available 80 megs, free dial up account for use while traveling with alot more pops available then roadrunner had.

Oh, and as soon as the switch occurred, I am no longer able to access roadrunner web site, main, local, or other wise. I guess they are upset with me using earthlink. Oh well, i can't even check on any special offers from roadrunner since I can't even get onto their sites anymore.

member for 14.4 years, 459 visits, last login: 6.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by TXNorski See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
Good "Great speed"
Bad "Slow news server"
Overall "Best bargain for broadband in Houston"

I was already a TWC RoadRunner subscriber but I stumbled into this Earthlink promotion that was too good to pass up. I say stumbled because it certainly is not well-advertised. Anyway, the "installation" basically involved switching me over to Earthlink servers. A TWC tech rep called me to schedule a modem changeout, which puzzled me since they provide the cable infrastructure to Earthlink anyway. When I asked why the modem (Toshiba PCX1100U) had to be changed, she replied "because Earthlink is different"(?). Well, on the day the tech was supposed to show for the changeout, he didn't. When I called to ask why, I was referred to the broadband dept. at TWC where a different support rep asked me exactly why my modem was being changed out. I told him it wasn't my idea and he cancelled the service call, saying the Toshiba should work just fine, which it does. I thought the whole affair was somewhat amusing.

About the same time, my RR account was de-activated and my new Earthlink account was turned on.

I still have my Linksys BEFSR41 router hooked up, which still works just fine. Overall, I am pleased with the features Earthlink has that RoadRunner doesn't (web-based email, FREE dialup, more web space, etc.). Speed seems to be the same. The news server is significantly slower, which I expected as I have read other posts in this regard.