Earthlink Cable Modem Service page on DSLReports

Review by hysteriakr See Profile

• Location: Fairview,Bergen,NJ
Good "Fast, low ping, good tech, etc"
Bad "slow newsgroup, have to type id and password many times to acces to mail and account setting"
Overall "Get it if you can"

This ISP rocks. I get less than 50 ping from every game server in US. It took only 4 days compared to Verizon which took 3 weeks. Techs are so friendly and really knows about internet and computer.Only bad thing are slow newsserver and what I said obove. But I rarely use newsgroup and I use outlook express. You get constant 2000kb down and 360kb up. I feel so good when it says 'Insane' after doing speedtest. So if you can get it call Earthlink right now(I feel like earthlink salesman hehe If you're thinking about roadrunner or earthlink i bet earthlink is better. Two thumbs up!!!

member for 11.7 years, 704 visits, last login: 6.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by AColtsFan See Profile

• Location: Indianapolis,Marion,IN
Good "Great speed, reliable."
Bad "Coordination between E-link and TW could be better"
Overall "Good Service, speeds and price... so far i'm happy"

I researched many sources before determining that TW was the way to go for me in my area (Indianapolis). My brother has had Roadrunner for over a year now and he has been happy with it. With Earthlink you get a few extras over going with straight roadrunner and its a few bucks cheaper a month. I thought about going with dsl because i am only 7000 feet from my co, but for the amount I am paying for E-link I could not get a connection this fast for 42 bucks a month. So far my pings in games have been ok, usually anywhere from 30-50. On speed I'm getting almost 2 mbps down and around 360 kb up which i am very happy with.

The only problems I have had so far is the lack of coordination with the install. There was alot of confusion with TW on whether I was in their coverage area. They said they would send someone out to survey my area to see if I was and call me back in a week. Finally as 2 weeks was approaching I decided to call them back and they said that someone did come and I am in the coverage area. I was happy and proceeded to call E-link and sign up. The person I talked to with E-link said that in their computers i was still not in the coverage area and that they would need confirmation from TW before they could sign me up. I called TW back and got a nice lady that said she would take care of it. She called me back and left me a message saying that everything was fine and to call and schedule an install date. TW Install guy comes and installs E-link software. He said I needed to setup a username and password so i did. Later, after getting charged 22 bucks, I found out that E-link had sent me a letter with my username and password in the mail and i had not recieved it yet and that I just signed up for dial up access. I called E-link yesterday and he said that everything was fine and they would credit me back the 22 bucks and switch my username over to the cable account.

After all that is cleared up I am very happy with the service so far.

Comments:

Review by adam97202 See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
Good "Nationwide dial-up included"
Bad "Still have to deal with TimeWarner"
Overall "If you're still using RoadRunner, switch NOW."

I didn't want to sign up for TimeWarner's RoadRunner cable modem service because they don't have very good Mac support, they don't offer dial-up service for backup or "roaming" purposes, and I'd heard horrible things about their customer service... so I jumped at the chance to get the same service using Earthlink as my ISP, for $41.95 per month, PLUS you get access to Earthlink's dial-up numbers all over the country for when you travel!

They were a little confused about the installation process; I had to call twice to get a TimeWarner guy to come out... but it's been pretty solid ever since. Every now and then the connection drops, but it's always up again in a few minutes. Download speeds are up to 1.7 Mbps, and upload is about 384k as advertised.

Oh, one more thing: Earthlink doesn't technically "support" hooking up a network with multiple computers, but they definitely don't care if you do it, and I've had no troubles at all. And my IP address changes so infrequently I could even run a Web server if I wanted to (which I don't).

Comments:

Review by jphanley See Profile

• Location: Sugar Land,Fort Bend,TX
Good "Capable & User- Friendly Tech Support"
Bad "Nothing Important Enough To Report"
Overall "So Far, So Good! Speed vs. Dialup is Awesome!"

Been using Earthlink, via their Time Warner partner for about six months now. There have been no interruptions in service, and the speed has continued very high. I really don't know how to measure speed exactly, but I detect no slowdown
by visual observation. I am still really sold on their Spaminator filter for unsolicited email; it prevents about 20 pieces of spam from reaching my home computer per day. There is a billboard in Houston [for another company] which says "Life Is Too Short For Dial-up"; I couldn't agree more.

John Hanley
Sugar Land, Tx

member for 12.2 years, 12 visits, last login: 11.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by cherrye See Profile

• Location: Morrisville,Wake,NC
Good "Very fast, very reliable, signup process is easy, no contract, good price."
Bad "Installer was unprofessional and condescending."
Overall "Very good overall. Would definitely recommend."

I signed up for cable modem because DSL was not available in my area and I was looking for a reasonably priced high speed internet connection for casual residential use.

Signup was easy, and the salesperson was friendly. I was directed to a site where I could schedule a time for my installation. I signed up for the following Friday between 8am and 12pm.

I arranged to be home during that time and the installer arrived around 11:00 am. He immediately informed me that I was "lucky" he showed up at all, and that my order had "pretty much been forgotten about." I had made no comment about the time he had arrived, as it was well within the 4 hour window. It was not necessary or appropriate for him to comment on how our order was so unimportant that it was forgotten about, and that I should feel grateful that he was going to do his job that day.

The service was not up for several hours--something about 947 hits on the server--and when I finally called Earthlink support, they indicated that the problem was that Earthlink was so busy that they had not put our information into the system.

It did finally come up about 6 hrs after installation, and the speed and connectivity have been consistently good ever since. I have had no real problems or downtime,and have not had a reason to call support since installation. Price is good and service is good for my purposes. Overall I am pleased.

member for 11.7 years, 253 visits, last login: 10.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by Sp4d3z See Profile

• Location: Bakersfield,Kern,CA
Good "Fast Speeds"
Bad "Sucks for gaming"
Overall "Not for the gamer"

I ordered it and it went through fine. It took a few calls to get them to come out and set up. The speeds are fast and are what they should be. But it seems that when it comes to gaming, it sucks.
The latency between me and my favorite servers are probaly what you would expect from a dial up user.
I used to have PacBell DSL where my ping was almost as if I was next to the servers I play on.
Now the pings just suck and I'm forced to play with lag.

Support S U C K S. I will go to EarthLink's support with a question, their answer: "You have to contact TimeWarner for that". I go to TimeWarner, their answer: "You ahve to contact EarthLink for that". I refuse to be going in a circle for a damn answer about why I ping real bad.
Other than that the 2mbit/384kbit down/up is what it should be.

They didn't advertise that you recieve a static IP.

The install techs are morons to my experience with them. The only thing the install tech knew how to do was run cabling and how to insert a CD.
It required a few phone calls back between the installer and his boss/tech at the station to do.... NOTHING. There I sat making it work in front of his own eyes. Apparently the techs aren't software handy. They knew nothing about WinXP services and about how DCHP needed to be enabled for it to work. The only solution the tech knew was to go the USB way instead of ethernet.

Also the software is useless and pointless. Just there to hog resources

Comments:

Review by assorted1 See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Reliable, affordable"
Bad "Poor install coordination with RR, average speed, slow newsgroups"
Overall "I feel I made the right choice"

After signing up online I was told nothing. I called earthlink a few days later and I hadn't been processed in any way. At that point they put me on a third party call with Road Runner. Road Runner kept hanging up on them (I'm not kidding). So between being on hold with Earthlink and then being on hold with RoadRunner WITH Earthlink the whole thing took about 45 minutes. Plus the RoadRunner people kept trying to charge me more then the promotional deal I was signing up with. Eventually I got an appointment date about a week later. It seemed to me the Earthlink users were getting a short shrift from RoadRunner so I hope I don't ever have any trouble with the line.

But so far so good. Decent speed (not great but decent) and more importantly a very reliable connection (2 weeks so far with no outages and I'm on a lot). I haven't given their email or webspace a spin yet but I can say that their newsgroups are pretty slow. Though I don't expect excellent binary newsgroup service from an ISP. Their newsgroups will work if you are using it for non-binaries.

At $41.95 a month with the first month free I'm pretty happy.

member for 11.8 years, 40 visits, last login: 10.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by Laramar See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
Good "Great speed; better value than Roadrunner"
Bad "cable guy did not show up on time for install"
Overall "Good value for cable internet"

Date: 10/9/02 - Richfield, MN

I actually ordered Earthlink cable a few weeks in advanced thinking that would help with the Time Warner cable guy showing up on time. They were supposed to show up on 10/1/02 between 1 - 4 p.m. I waited at home until 7 p.m. before I had to leave for a prior engagement. I called TWC the next day and apparently, the cable guy showed up at 7:20 p.m., 20 minutes after I left. I rescheduled another appointment in 6 days on 10/7/02, and this time the cable guy showed up on time.

The problem this time was with my computer--it wouldn't connect. The cable guy stuck around for about 1.5 hours to help me get connected, talking with level 1 tech support on the phone, swapping NIC cards, and using the USB connection to no avail. He finally gave up and scheduled to have a PC tech guy come the next day. During the evening I tried myself to get the connection to work and finally got connected. There was a problem with Win 2000's TCP/IP protocol. Btw, the cable modem supplied is a Toshiba PCX2500 with USB, if needed.

Now I'm connected near the advertised speed of 2mbit down / 385kbit up. The newstest2 usenet server is a bit unstable, but still pretty good. For now, I'm happy with the connection. The only thing I hope now is for the billing department to bill me correctly. The Earthlink promotion states the 1st month is free. I may update this review if they charge me for the 1st month.

One more thing. I had dial-up service with Earthlink before. When I ordered cable, they charged me for dial-up service. When I called to have that charge removed, I spoke with a really knowledgable customer support guy (Anthony, I think) and he explained that they normally charge for dial-up so people can have internet access between the time they order until we finally get the cable hooked up. This is something the sales guy did not tell me when I first ordered. Since I ordered cable, not dial-up, he removed the charge from my account and everything was fine. This is just something to look out for.

So unless any future problems arise with billing issues, it's all good.

Comments:

Review by ThumperDFN See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "Consistent 1900+ download and 360+ upload. Graet gaming connection!"
Bad "None yet"
Overall "Great tech support, cheaper than Time Warner by $8.00/month"

I've had no problems at all with my Earthlink Cable connection. The Toshiba modem is rock solid and has never dropped one time. The funny part is that Earthlink Cable is cheaper than Time Warner and Time Warner did my install! Earthlink has contracted with Time warner for cable service and offer cable for $41.95 per month.

Comments:

Review by mstangmike See Profile

• Location: Cuyahoga Falls,Summit,OH
Good "Fast, no down time, great customer service, & lots of free security tools"
Bad "Have not had any complaints yet"
Overall "I left AOL and have not missed it because I can do more with eartlink broadband."

My download speed ranges between 1750-2100 kbps. Earthlink sells the service with speeds upto 2100 kbps. My service is over Time Warner Cable's Road Runner lines. Timer Warner called the day after I placed the order with Earthlink online. The next day Time Warner was out and did the install. They ran new cable from three houses away. Then installed new cable to the computer. The modem is free as well as the install.

My parents are going to switch to Eartlink Broadband as well next month when they get a new PC. They have used my system and can't believe the difference between dial-up and cable.

I had some questions that I asked a tech online how to get Microsoft Outlook to download my emails, and they gave me step by step answers.

So far I have had the service for three months and have had no problems. I am online between 2-3 hours each day and have not had any down time. I would recomend Earthlink Cable Broadband to anyone that it is available to.