Earthlink Cable Modem Service page on DSLReports

Review by HastedModuLe See Profile

• Location: Woodside,Queens,NY
Good "very fast!"
Bad "none!"
Overall "just get it if you can!"

Gotta love Earthlink. I just got mine installed today and I'm blazing like crazy. I did a speed test here in dslreports.com and got 2224/389. Way more than what's advertised. This is a definite keeper. Actually, this is my first piece of broadband, and I gotta admit that I picked the best with the best bang for the buck. Can you beat getting a 2224/389 and just paying $42 bucks for it? Tech support..cable guy..just earthlink in general were very nice and listened to everything. I'm tellin ya..get it while you can.

Comments:

Review by tam1899 See Profile

• Location: Friendswood,Galveston,TX
Good "awesome speed, free dialup, webmail access, sincere& friendly people"
Bad "56K cap on newsgroups downloads, cust svc dept runarounds"
Overall "Its the best value around if you do not care about newsgroups"

I ordered cable internet online from Earthlink at $41.95; Was assigned email address same day, it worked immediatly using webmail feature. Set up my free dial-up numbers and tested them, worked great.

Had to call and complain because TWC never called me to set up an install time like they were supposed to.

Did a self install after Time Warner blew me off for install appointments 2 days in a row (this is not under ELN's control). All I really needed was a rate change in TWC's computer anyway. The modem is the same as with RR. The cable line was already in the wall so no change there.

I assumed that the newsgroups would be the same download speed as browsing speed but it is unfortunately capped at 56K which makes it nearly unusable.
The browsing speed leaves roadrunner and AOL in the dust, but that's probably because they are capping the newsgroups so more bandwidth is available for more casual WWW only users.

It's hard to decide whether to stay on ELN and suffer (or pay a third party for newsgroups bandwidth) or go back to Roadrunner until they start capping the newsgroups too, which could happen at any time.

If it wasn't for the capping issue this would be a perfect deal. even with the capping issue its still pretty sweet, and ELN and I go way back to my dial-up days.
Another factor is that if we do not keep Earthlink and others like them in business, AOL and others like them will take over and that would be bad.

Comments:

Review by wolve3 See Profile

• Location: Torrance,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Extremely fast connection, almost 3x faster than my DSL"
Bad "Local cable co. didn't call me to set-up installation appointment"
Overall "Lots of bandwidth for a price that's hard to beat"

I've been an Earthlink DSL customer for almost 2.5 years now. After seeing that they now offer cable net service (2mbps / 384 kbps) for $42/month and reading the reviews here on DSL Reports, I figured what the hell and decided to give cable a try. I called Earthlink on 4/15 and spoke to a sales person to find out how I could switch my DSL account over to cable. Apparently this is no easy task for them. The rep gave me two options: 1) They would downgrade my current DSL account to dial-up till cable was installed or 2) create a whole new account. He told me the entire installation process would take up to 2 weeks. Since I didn’t feel shooting myself in the foot (okay, dial-up isn’t that bad, but I’m no masochist), I asked the sales rep to create a new account. After he setting up the new account using the info from my DSL one, he stated that my local cable company (Time Warner) would call me back in 3 days to schedule the actual installation appointment.

After waiting almost a week, I still hadn’t received a call from Warner. So on 5/1 I called Earthlink again. The CSR called up Time Warner and then transferred me to their rep so I could schedule the install date. After talking with the Time Warner CSR for a few minutes, my installation date was set for 5/9, between 1pm to 5pm.

So finally on 5/9, the cable guy called me at 10:30am and asked if he could come early since he was in the area. In fact, his call woke me up, but I told him to come (like I was going to refuse him… not!) He said he would be at my house in 10 minutes… it actually took him 3-5 minutes. The first thing he did was check for the cable line in my room. After that he needed to check the for a cable box. I didn’t know where the box was exactly, so we spent around 15-20 minutes searching for it. He finally found what he was really looking for in my closet attic. Then he went outside to do some work on the telephone pole (soon after his coworker showed up to help). This is where things started to get complicated. Turns out that there are 2 cable companies in my area: Time Warner and Media One. Another thing I should mention is that I live down a private / shared driveway that’s about 300-400 ft. long. The cable guy noticed that the Media One line extended all the way from the side of the street to the telephone pole near my house, but the Time Warner one did not (doh!). His buddy went ahead and connected an “extension” from the side of the street to the pole. He told me I might have problems with my cable connection because the distance for these types of extensions is supposed to be only 200ft or something. I was already a bit worried because I overheard him saying some negative things to his coworker while testing the cable line in my room. In any case, I changed the network settings on my PC and rebooted it. Once it was back up, I double-checked it was getting an IP and loaded up Yahoo in a browser window. Everything seemed to work fine, so the cable guy told me to just call Time Warner if I had any problems and took off. I thought this was sort of lame, but so far I haven’t had any problems with my cable connection.

In fact it's been running blazing fast. Here are a few results from running the speed test here on DSL Reports: 1924 / 368, 1924 / 371, 1921 / 370. Thru my DSL connection I get 640 / 120 max even though Earthlink doesn’t limit the downstream at all (1.5 mbps is supposed to be max). My ping times on my cable connection seem relatively stable. I played the SOF 2 test on a server with 50ms pings and noticed some occasionally lag spikes (but that may have been due to the server itself because other people were bitching about lag). In any case, I’m very happy with this new connection. If it continues to work well for the next several days, I’ll cancel my DSL account and stick to cable.

Comments:

Review by nycnetwork See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Fast, low pings, cheap, don't have to have a tv cable service"
Bad "none"
Overall "If you are serviced by Time Warner, get it!"

I recently switched from Verizon DSL to TWCNYC RR. The main reason was the speed and the first free month of service. I've red many horror stories about RR sevice in Brooklyn,and I have to say i was very sceptical. My original plan was to get my first free month of RR and still keep Verizon DSL so i cee see the difference and decide. But, the very first day i decided to cancell my DSL(even though it was a great experience). I was cruising at 1970/380 all the time.WOW!!! Then i discovered EL Cable. For the same cable service, instead of paying $60 for RR, you can have Earthlink Cable and free dial up at the price of $41!!!!!! There is no catch... it's as straight forward as i just described! After my free month of RR ended i made a switch and i saved $20 dollars. the switch was super easy. I called EL and told them that i'm a current RR customer who wants to sign up with EL. They gave me an email address and the password right away, and i recieved a call from TW few hours later. All i had to do is to reboot my cable modem and i was on EL. The speeds are the same as RR ranging from 1970-2110down and from 365-430 up. Pings are the same as on RR 8-14ms. Only the first and second day i had few connection drops for some reason,,, but all i had to do is to reboot my modem. That problam is gone. I have to say that i'm probably the only TW cable modem customer in my area so that is one of the reasons why i'm getting such a great service.

If you are serviced by Time Warner Cable here in NYC, this is THE BEST choice! Get your EL Cable !

member for 13.8 years, 3733 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by tgreco See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "jJUST HAPPY TO GET RID OF DSL"
Bad "NONE YET"
Overall "I FEEL EL GETS BLAMED FOR VERIZON'S BAD SERVICE"

I JUST GOT EL THRU TIME WARNER. I HAD DSL WITH VERIZON/EL. I GOT SICK OF THER FACT THAT MUCH OF THE PROBLEM WITH EL HAD TO DO WITH VERIZONS LACK OF ABILITY TO SERVICE LINE PROBLEMS. IN NYC, THE TELCO LINES ARE SOME OF THE WORST IN THE NATION(DUE TO SIZE AND THE FACT THAT IN MY AREA OF MANHATTAN, THE LINES ARE SOME OF THE OLDEST IN THE NATION) VERIZON HAS MADE IT CLEAR THAT THE HAVE NO PLAND TO CHANGE THE WIRING. CABLE OT THE OTHER HAND HAS HAD TO INSTALL IT'S SYSTEM FROM SCRATCH. I WAS AT FIRST A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT LEAVING THE "PHONE COMPANY" (I GUESS IT WAS A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF PROPAGANDA) UNTIL 9/11 IN NYC THE TELCO WAS ONE OF THE SLOWEST SERVICES TO RECOVER AND THE LEAST HELPFUL TO REGAIN FULL USE. ELECTRIC WAS UP IN 4 DAYS AND SUPRISING ENOUGH SO WAS CABLE WITH IT. THE TELCO TOOK 4 WEEKS AND SEEMED TO BE WORKING ON LINES OF EXCHANGES THAT WERE MORE PROFITABLE THAN OTHERS. SINCE I SHARE AN EXCHANGE WITH CHINATOWN THERE WAS NO HURRY(MANY IN CHINATOWN NY STILL DO NOT HAVE FULL SERVICE) I GET GREAT SPEED WITH TIME WARNER... STILL TO THIS DAY I HAVE OUTAGES WITH MY PHONE. WHEN I ASKED TO HAVE THE DSL TAKEN OUT I HAD A 4 DAY TELEPHONE OUTAGE. I CAN'T WAIT FOR V.O.I.P TO GET RID OF IT KINKS SO I CAN SAY GOODBYE TO VERIZON FOR EVER.

member for 12.7 years, 691 visits, last login: 3.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by richdragon32 See Profile

• Location: Granada Hills,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Great Speed"
Bad "Ping not as good as DSL"
Overall "Internet is internet. DSL and Cable are both great."

I currently have both EarthLink DSL and EarthLink Cable. DSL cost more 49.95, but for gamers, you get better ping. Cable is 41.95 for a little bit. Not too big of differences in ping though usually 10-20 ms more with cable, but who can tell the difference eh? My speed for DSL is 1294/320 and Cable is 1988/366 and honestly you can't tell the difference when you're surfing websites. Only drawback with Cable is I can't get 3 IP number the way DSL did without charging me more. So far Cable modem is great. DSL... maybe once every 2 months it goes dead or lag like crazy maybe for maintanence or something. So now I'm still weighing the differences. Which one do you think I should stick to; DSL or Cable?

member for 14.1 years, 493 visits, last login: 2.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by bcnyc See Profile

• Location: Saint Petersburg,Pinellas,FL
Good "Much faster than Verizon DSL. Quick turn from phone order to install (3 days)"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Happy"

After a quick and painless install (there are a few items on the Earth install CD that are of little use, just elect a custom install and select what you want),
my machine is clocking 1910 / 372 with Earthlink.

No comparision to the Verizon DSL, best case 680/120 and with the inconsistantcies (dropoffs to below 50kps download/80 up.....) in speed and horrendous tech "support".

Time Warner does the install and billing (goes on your regular cable bill) and requires 1st month @ time of install. He re-ran the cable separately for the computer which should keep the TV's w/digital boxes from dragging things down.

All in all, very glad that I made the switch Earthlink.

Comments:

Review by youngyc89 See Profile

• Location: Fairview,Bergen,NJ
Good "Good Tech Support, Cool speed, and friendly"
Bad "News server is slow, but still nice"
Overall "If you can get it, don't hesitate!!"

I could get it in 4 days, since first call from Earthlink was made 2 days after the order. Too bad my apartment number wasn't in Timewarner cable computer...They checked something and there was another call that now I can set up the appointment and got it 2 days later and here I am!! Guy to install me modem did a lot of exercise. Me home is 3rd floor and he went up and down like 6 times. "I have to check something, And he had to crawl under me desk which is pretty low)

.I have to get something, I forgot something and like that. Anyway he was nice and friendly. Gave me many advices to share the connection(which he said he's not supposed to)I use chatting Tech support which they give you most of your questions about Technical things. And again, if you can get it, don't hesitate.. Time is money -.-

member for 12.4 years, 38 visits, last login: 12.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by dd_unlimited See Profile

• Location: Jamaica,Queens,NY
Good "Great GREAT connection, cheaper than roadrunner, just as fast, great customer service and free full installation"
Bad "NONE"
Overall "Better than roadrunner. Nuff said. if you need cable or broadband, stick with this"

UPDATE: i tweaked el cable. before it was getting CONSTANT 2000/384. now i get 2400/384 ALL THE TIME. its amazing. i am truly ecstatic with this service.its got everything you need from cable. speed. reliability, friendly service, and earthlink features. what it doesnt give you?

RoadRunneritis.

I was thinking about getting roadrunner for a while, and had dslreports.com not notified me of EL cable, i would have fallen victim to them.

let me explain how. Roadrunner is time warners 'crown jewel'. the commercials will tell you that much. the commercials in fact were what pissed me off (they were too fake to believe). If you already have cable from time warner (the monopoly) who are making ALL their customers upgrade to this devil incarnate called "DTV" to compete with satellite, they will charge 50 dollars a month, plus god knows how much for DTV. now, if you are like me and DONT have cable from time warner, they will charge you (get this) 60 dollars a month for just roadrunner. for a while, you HAD to pay this if you lived (like me) outside optimum online areas (most of NYC) and HAD to get aol or roadrunner to get cable... they monopolized NYC.

then came earthlink cable.

dslreports emailed me about a promotion for el cable. it was in my area, which intrigued me immediately. i went to the review page, and the price hit me: 42 dollars a month. blown away i was. but i got suspicious.i heard horror stories from el dsl, and when i found out that el cable rented out infrastructure from time warner. but it turned out that i DIDNT have to have cable from time warner (i still had the cable and the jack but no service) and the price would remain at 42 dollars regardless. wonderful news for me. so i called in, and almost immediately a friendly rep was on the line with me. he told me about the service, and that it was available in my area. even after i explained that i was still thinking about it, he did NOT pressure me like the roadrunner fanatics, and let me decide. well after some discussion i called in, and AGAIN was connected immediately to a rep. she set EVERYTHING up for me, gave me a earthlink mailbox, username, etc. and set up for a time warner rep to contact me later for the FREE FULL INSTALLATION (thats correct, no 'self installation kit'). that though, became a bit of a nuisance. not because of earthlink itself, but time warner. their careless reps and worn out books delayed my order for installation by 4 days. (note if you had time warner before and disconnected, or someone who rented out the apartment before had cable, you're in a world of hurt) they said they couldnt help me, but i called earthlink and they CLEARED EVERYTHING UP (it was like magic) and i got a appointment for next friday, which was a bit late for me but i didnt mind (after 6 agonizing years of dialup i was willing to wait 7 more days). the time warner installers came and placed a router, and measured a line around the room (the cable jack is opposite to my computer) and installed my cable modem. i didnt have a network card, but guess what? THEY PAID FOR THAT AS WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they installed the software and hardware (didnt need to really) and i was up immediately. i get 2000/384 now, no hiccups (though it should go down after people get wind of el cable and log on), smooth EVERYTHING, if i need to call them they have immediate service, along with the other promised el cable features (unlimited dial up, eight email accounts, 10 mb web space, etc.). they bill through time warner which CAN be a bit confusing, but sortable. other features, DHCP, and the first HFC based network in the nation (better cable service). all in all, better-than-roadrunner price for 20 dollars less... folks, why are you still sitting there? EARTHLINK CABLE IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!

member for 12.4 years, 31 visits, last login: 11.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by Stealthdestroyr See Profile

• Location: Bellerose,Queens,NY
Good "Fast + always on! :)"
Bad "None."
Overall "Good ISP, very little down time"

I have Earthlink Cable through Time Warner, its exactly the same as RR, they give same modem (Toshiba PCX1100U), speeds (2000/384), always on, etc.

My mothly cost is $42 which is pretty damn good considerin if i got from Time warner (RR) they would charge me $60(i dont have cable television). Also the normal install fee is $100 and $45 a month but i got it when they had a special for $42 and free install, i dont know if they are still offering this though.

It took 2weeks for them to install it because i requested that date, they said they could have had it in 1 week. But when that day came to install it they said theyd come between 2-5pm. They called me that day at 11 to tell me they were coming then, (lol, i never expected them to be early), so there were 2 guys 1 to install the hardware and 1 to install the software. The first guy came right after he called and it took him about 45min-1hour to run the wiring from the pole, drill the hole, etc. While he setting the stuff up the other guy came and waited about 10minutes for the other guy to finish, then he got a call to go to another job site and he left. Then 20 min later the first guy finished and left. ABout an hour or 2 later the 2nd guy finally came back, im not sure y i needed him but whatever. The install overall went pretty smoothly. O yea just to add, if you didnt have an ethernet card they were ready to install one for you, but if you want to know it was an SMC brand card, i had my own so it wasnt needed.

Now i've had this Connection since around January, and in the whole time my internet went down once, not sure for how long cuz i just walked away for an hour and when i came back it was workin again, could have been 5min, could have been 45, i dont know.

They advertise 2000/384 connection speeds and that is just about what i get, but a tiny bit lower more like 1980/364, not much of a difference. When i first used it it was a huge difference over my previous dsl connection of 768/128 that actually ran at 600/100, i would not recomend Verizon dsl to any1 in the nyc area, but thats a a diff review .

In conclusion, if u live in nyc area and thinkin about Earthlink/RR i would definitely recomend this ISP.