Earthlink Cable Modem Service page on DSLReports

Review by sonofjay See Profile

• Location: North Attleboro,Bristol,MA
Good "Smooth Transaction, Quick, Friendly Sales Reps"
Bad "none"
Overall "Great value for the money compared to Comcast"

03/05/11- Earthlink Cable is still great. Last price increase was 7.5 years in Aug 2003. Service is solid. No complaints.

06/26/10 - Still very happy with Earthlink Cable and am glad for the option. Having subscribed Earthlink Cable for the past 8 years has saved me over $1,300 for the same service from Comcast because of their "non-television subscriber" penalty. Earthlink Cable provides the same service, better emails & options for a cheaper price.

05/16/09 - Earthlink Cable is great as ever. Only issue encountered over the past year was Comcast technicians disconnecting the cable line on the utility pole because. Happened twice when my neighbors moved out. I do not have Comcast TV service (have DirecTV) and only have the cable drop for internet. Instead of filtering the line they just cut the cable. One of the many reasons I will never have Comcast for television is because of issues like this.

Outside of these Comcast related issues, Earthlink has been excellent. Price has remained the same since Aug 2003. Would recommend them to anyone in MA or NH area.

03/22/08 - Earthlink Cable is rock solid. No issue with email or connection. Had to purchase a new modem as my 5 year old owned modem was acting up. 50 bucks later and back in business. No longer use Earthlink Cable DNS servers due to their redirection changes, now use opendns and it works great. Use EL Cable for VOIP and Video OnDemand movie/tv show viewing as well normal broadband stuff. Every month Earthlink Cable saves paying Comcast their non CATV penalty saving $15 every month.Can't beat that. An awesome ISP for those that can get it and who that do not want to use Comcast for TV.

03/08/07 - Earthlink Cable service has been excellent. Price hasn't changed since Aug 03 going on 4 years now! Only have had to call in 1 time in 4 years to troubleshoot my line, turned out to be an aging modem and I purchased a new one and its been great since. Have also received the same upgrades; speed increases and "powerboost" that Comcast subscribers get too (albeit usually a few weeks to months later). Earthlink Cable is $17 cheaper than Comcast HSI. For those that want quality HSI but do not want to subscribe to TV from Comcast, this service can't be beat!

Certainly, in MA/NH/ME Earthlink Cable is a great way to get the HSI. Certainly recommend it.

08/02/03 - Just received a rate increase notification going from $41.95 to $45.95. Service has been great (email, connections, dns, etc). I'm not thrilled about the price increase but its still better than the 58 bucks the thieves at Comcast are trying to get for the same service and they include yet another poorly done email name change/migration. Still glad to be with EL but time will tell on the ever increasing rates that seem to be synonymous with cable internet

12/12/02 - Had been with Mediaone/ATT/Comcast since 2000 and have endured price increase after price increase. Over a year ago I drop their Cable TV service for the much better PQ and price of DirecTV.

Today I have dumped ATT/Comcast completely after finding out about another 20% increase to my bill solely because I did not subscribe to their cable TV services. These monopolistic, anti-competitive actions lead me to look for alternatives.

EarthLink was a breeze to switch to, the service rep was friendly and so far the speeds I have experienced have been the same or better. The response times from the from the mail and DNS servers has been great and I cannot complain one bit. EarthLink also has official tech support who post on DSLR frequently (unlike ATT who have reprimanded techs and just fired another this week (good luck Tink!). All of this great service for less money and few head aches.

If you switch before 12/31/02 you get the first month free and $41.95 thereafter. A GREAT deal in my opinion. I highly recommend this as an great alternative!

Comments:

Review by taznumber1 See Profile

• Location: Hubert,Onslow,NC
Good "The Price is cheaper when purchased thru earthlink website then directly thru time warner"
Bad "Don't Get Speed Your Pay For"
Overall "I dont have any other reasonably charged alternative so I have no choice but to stick with earthlink."

I have been unable to get the full speed that I am paying for out of this modem connection. I have earthlink turbo which is suppose to be up to 15mb own, and I get during the work week speed close to 10mb down and 512k up. But at night this connection gets slowed down to like 3 to 5 mb down, but I still get like 450k up.

But have been having this problem with time warner for the last 2 months and they come out to the house and say everything looks normal, then I complain again and the technician will tell me there is ping lose but it is up stream. Then I get told by time warner technicians well my internet is slow at home at night too, but that is not an acceptable answer to me.

Comments:

Review by ellisgeek See Profile

• Location: Cascade,Sheboygan,WI
Bad "Unstable Connection, Issues with FTP Server, Slower than advertised Connection"
Overall "Good for the casual user, not so much for the Hart core Downloader or Gamer"

We have been with earthlink (via time warriner) for approximately 4 years had in the beginning we were very satisfied. we managed to get a low rate locked in at $28 (or so we thought) and the speed was good. But then about 2 tears ago they jacked the price up to $45 and that was ok because the speed was good still. Then last year our Download speed seemed to hit the can ( like less than half of advertised). Web Game ping, torrent all became painful slow, but all the speed tests that i ran came in around 6 Mbps ( what we are paying for).

Comments:

Review by Tainted See Profile

• Location: Waxhaw,Union,NC
Good "Same connection as Road Runner and don't pay extra for not having tv."
Overall "If you only need internet from your cable company go with Earthlink."

Have been using Earthlink Cable over Time Warner for about 7 years now. Recently upgraded to Earthlink Max which is roadrunner turbo without the turbo boost. Promo was $39.95 for 6 months and $51.90 afterwards. Service was upgraded by the time I got off the phone. Connection is 15mb/1mb and constantly get close to that speed. Newsgroup service is top notch and not being penalized for only having internet from them are the main reasons I have kept Earthlink Cable service all these years.

member for 11.8 years, 1099 visits, last login: a few hours ago

• Location: Plano,Collin,TX
Good "Double the download speed promised, Re-branded Time Warner RoadRunner = good support and reliable!"
Bad "Upload speed"
Overall "No contract, no setup/install fees, $30 a month for 14MBps!"

Service: Earthlink Cable
ZIP: 75023
City: Plano, TX (part of Dallas, TX)
Rate: $30/month for 6 months, then $40/month thereafter (month to month
with no contract)
Installation/Setup fees: None (Free)
Speed Purchased: 7MBps down / ??? up
Speed Received: 13MBps down / 0.5MBps up
Comments: The service shows up on the speedtest site as RoadRunner (Time
Warner), and was actually installed by TimeWarner. I guess Earthlink
only does DSL natively, but resells Cable from TimeWarner/Road Runner
under their name. When you call Earthlink support they give you the
TimeWarner support phone number. Speed promised was 7MBps down, and we
get 13MBps! Fine with me No contract, no setup/install fees, and all
hardware is free. $30 a month for 6 months, then $40 a month after.
Cancel anytime without penalty. This is the cheapest broadband internet
you can get right now for the speed offered. So, if you want
RoadRunner/TimeWarner broadband, but want it cheap w/o a contract, then
sign up for the 7MBps plan at Earthlink.com.

(review was emailed from domain corusa.com)

Comments:

Review by Bytezboy See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Fast, reliable, cheap and affordable"
Bad "newsgroups capped at 5GB a month now"
Overall "Get this if you don't download a lot of binaries from newsgroups"

I'm just updating the review. Still stable but not as fast as before. My cable light went out 3 times two weeks ago, had to reset modem.

Update: I'm giving services a 4 and not a 5 because of the newsgroups capped at 1.5GB.. they were leading us on that their news server will have a new farm and a 20GB/month limit but out of no where.. they set the 1.5GB per 30 days limit which in my opinion is outrageous.

UPDATE: cap for newsgroups raised to 5GB/month now

Update 10/23/2010 - Almost a year ago, I switched back to Time Warner Cable to be able to upgrade the Internet to turbo. The speeds were horrible during peak times for over a year. After writing in and complaining to DoITT and the attorney general, they finally split the node in April 2009.

member for 13.6 years, 3506 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by birdbrainz See Profile

• Location: Greensboro,Guilford,NC
Good "spped, Service"
Bad "harder to bundle"
Overall "a keeper"

Overall, I'm happy. It's fast and reliable, and that's what I really need.

Earthlink's support and service are excellent.

Comments:

Review by johndandison See Profile

• Location: Greensboro,Guilford,NC
Good "Good Speed, No TWC Cap"

The price was the big factor - about $10 cheaper for their standard fare. Had 'em in Greensboro until I moved.

Comments:

Review by meanderer See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Fast downloads when it works"
Bad "Drops and lags my games all the time"
Overall "for download leechers is fine, for anything real time stay away!!"

I have been using Earthlink Cable in Bay Ridge Brooklyn NYC area for about 5 years. In the beginning it was great. Speed is fast and games are lag free.

I have seen the fast growth of this area in terms of households and population. And now the cable connection seems to suffer because of that. Every night when I get home from work and started to play a few online games (9pm-11pm), I would get very bad ping and dropped connections. Other times performance is acceptable. This has persisted for about 6 monthes, and appears to be a consistent pattern. Games starts to lag and drop whenever people come home from work. It is obviously a capacity issue. I called Earthlink about it. They transfered me to Time warner cable. I scheduled meetings with their techs to come check the line. They found nothing wrong with it, and replaced my modem. However, the problem persists.

One thing to note is that download speed over bittorrent never suffered and was able to keep the 6Mbps download speed as advertised. However, due to lag and packet loss, watching youtube in HD is impossible.

I would get better performance by tethering my 3G cellphone (t-mobile) to play onlinne games. Very sad...

I believe Time Warner has not been able to keep up with the subscribers in this neighborhood and is unable to provide adaquate service in this area. Therefore I am taking my money to DSL.

Earthlink Cable uses the same system here as Time Warner, as one can tell from their bill headings and who to call when you need support. I don't imagine switching to RoadRunner would improve the issue.

Comments:

Review by Dragasoni See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Just about everything!"
Bad "Had trouble getting a technician to my house"
Overall "Excellent value for the money!"

Update: I keep being asked to update this 7+ year old review. I no longer use Earthlink, haven't for a long time.

I thought it is about time I review my ISP. I had RR since January 2002, and switched to Earthlink Cable in June 2002. I switched because Earthlink had a lower monthly price, and Earthlink also allowed me to run a web server.

I ordered the 2000/384 kbps cable internet from Earthlink with unlimited dial up. The installation went smooth, I was able to connect with no problems. Nobody came to my house, I simply kept all my RR equipment in place. Also, the person I spoke to on the phone when ordering was very informative and helpful.

It worked very well for months, then I starting having a lot of connection problems in October of 2002. I never got around to calling earthlink about it. I finally called tech support a few days ago to set up an appointment. The first guy didn't show up, so I had to set up another appointment. I guess that was Time Warners fault though. Well the second guy came, and was VERY polite. He quickly found the problem, turns out one of the cable spliters in my house was bad causing a bad signal to the modem. I can't blame Earthlink or Time Warner for that though, and before that happened my connection reliability was near excellent. So rated the connection based on what it was before the spliter went bad. That spliter was replaced yesterday, and so far so good

I have also had good luck with tech support, although I have not called them about anything complicated. Just had to call to finf what username and password to use for my dial up account. They were very helpful, and polite to me.

Although I don't use their News groups, I have found their email server to be very reliable. I don't think I have ever seen it down

At 42 bucks a month, I can't complain...2000/384 kbps connection which is always at its caps. My speed has never been lower than 1950 kbps down or 370 kbps up.

I would highly recommend Earthlink Cable