Earthlink Cable Modem Service page on DSLReports

Review by Robocub See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "connectivity is pretty solid. Infrequent outtages"
Bad "when things go wrong, tech appointments can take up to a week"
Overall "Still expensive for 5000/384 kbps, but TW is the only game in town."

I no longer use Earthlink/RoadRunner internet as of September 2007.

I have the standard package, speed is 5000/384 kbps, but never really reaches the max download speed of 5000.

Stability of connection is pretty good. Rarely if ever do I loose connectivity. Ocassionally there wil be speed slow downs. I've had my cable modem replaced twice over the course of 4 years.

Comments:

Review by dba See Profile

• Location: Memphis,Shelby,TN
Good "2 years and not one minute of downtime. Excellent cable service!"
Bad "none so far."
Overall "I definitely recommend this service if available in your area."

November 30 2007 Update:

I am not with Earthlink anymore, since I moved and Earthlink is not offered out here.

First and foremost:
The only reason I gave a rating of 4 for Tech Support and Services is because I have never had to use either, so I can not rate them. I wish there was a selection for "Never Used or Not Applicable", but there isn't.

Now for my updated review:
It's been close to a year, if not over a year now that I have had earthlink cable service and I have never regretted it one bit.
- Not 1 minute of downtime.
- Email service works all the time.
- Initial service was for 3Mbps, but then upgraded to 5Mbps freely.

I do not play online games, so I can not speak of ping times and lag for games, but I do stream video and also listen to several online radio stations [including TV and radio from London, UK.] I have not once had any problem connecting, stream as much as I want.

Of course I do not abuse the service and I do not P2P.

All in all I would recommend anybody who asks to go with earthlink cable service.

May 16, 2006 Update:

The service has been up and running for somewhat around 2 years now.

Still going strong, have had no issues, no down time, no bandwidth cap or whatever. If anybody asks I will recommend Earthlink Cable in a heart beat, at least for anybody who lives in my area.

member for 10.8 years, 2069 visits, last login: 6 days ago

Comments:

Review by dralvinwalke See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "I have been an Earthlink customer for nearly a decade and am extremely pleased with their high-speed service."
Overall "I have gotten my money's worth."

Let me reiterate, I am quite pleased with my high-speed service.

My scores on dslreports are consistently the highest in my zip code.

In short, I have no complaints.

member for 12.4 years, 940 visits, last login: 6.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by nuckinfuts749 See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
Good "It's cheaper then the rest"
Bad "Support"
Overall "Try to think about something else til the pain goes away."

Here in MN earthdink is just a name. the actual service is Comcast, so if you have any issues you'll call earthdink and just be told to call Comcast, doesn't matter if it's your billing info to service probs. all earthdink can say is, "I’m sorry, we don't have that info, you'll need to call your local service provider. Then you call Comcast just to be frustrated by they're redundant teleprompting and threatened to be charged a fee if you so much as ask one of they're "live" CSR's to do anything other then verify that you have an account with them. So you buck-up and deal with the prompts only to be forced into talking to one of they're obviously medicated reps? So you ask them the simple question of, did I pay my bill this month, response, yes. End result! I was double billed for the following month! YEAHHHH!!!!! COMCAST ROCKS!!

Comments:

Review by drzewo See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Reliable connection. I cannot remember the last time I was offline. Speeds of 5/384 are as advertised. No port blocking."
Overall "Satisfied. Would recommend."

I have had the service for 2 years now since I moved to Durham, NC from Maryland (missed my chance to have Fios). Installation required 2 visits...one from TWC to install cable and another from EL to connect internet. I am sure the self-install option would remove that hassle now.

Rock solid connection and no variation in speeds. I use VNC and did not have to do any port workarounds. I verified with CS that Earthink does NOT block any ports. I appreciate a hassle-free connection.

I do not like the automatic DNS redirect to their own search page. You can opt-out of this.

Several dollars less than Roadrunner, after the 6 month initial special.

I am overall very happy with service.

member for 13.3 years, 990 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by jerry33445 See Profile

• Location: Raleigh,Wake,NC
Good "Fast Reliable Service"
Bad "Provided by TimeWarner and no one wants to take responisbility for problems"
Overall "Good service"

Time Warner Road Runner--Already had Earthlink Email addresses so chose the Earthlink option offerred by Time Warner.

Comments:

Review by Bharat See Profile

• Location: Cypress,Harris,TX
Good "Nice Speed, Standard Price, alternative DNS servers"
Bad "DNS redirection by default, bad scheduling, Standard Price"
Overall "Better than Time-Warner (and now Comcast) or DSL"

I could have used Time-Warner or DSL. The speed for cable is the same for Time-Warner (now Comcast), and faster than DSL. I think all ISPs are overpriced (because of lack of competition -- search techdirt.com for info on this).

Over 3Mb/s down, ~256Kb/s up (355, but compression detected).

Tech support was very friendly and helpful, though slow at arriving at the right answer. It took too much footwork and knowledge on my part.

I would have given better reviews, but it took 30 days to get the initial hookup. I think this was because there was no previous cable tv service at the building. Then, when I signed up Time-Warner billed me instead of adding Earthlink billing to the cable bill. Took hours to fix the problem that was Time-Warner's fault. Really, though, Earthlink should figure out a better way to coordinate installation without the customer having to deal with both Earthlink and the cable company over which they are providing service.

I am relived I went to the trouble of keeping Earthlink (which is $5 cheaper than Time-Warner) since I've heard of Comcast limiting transfer of data in other markets. Comcast just took over this cable market from Time-Warner.

I wish ISPs put better info on speeds (instead of just "5x dialup speed") on their websites, but Earthlink's no worse than the others. I am annoyed by the DNS redirection (which is discussed in articles on dslreports) but they do provide opt-out DNS servers (»kb.earthlink.net/case.asp?article=187117). The only problem is that my router requires 3 servers, and they only provide 2 ... so on timeouts I still sometimes got their advertisement page instead of my browser's "page not found" error. BUT, that lead me to discover OpenNIC DNS servers (not to be confused with OpenDNS which has ads). I love OpenNIC!! »www.opennic.unrated.net/

2007-09-30 Update:
It looks like Comcast is now charging me more for what looks like the same Digital Cable TV service, but they have increased the download speed available. My latest test results were this:
Download: 10015 (Kbps)
Upload: 361 (Kbps)
(My service is now Eartlink over Comcast, since Comcast took over for Time Warner)

Comments:

Review by boober321 See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Cable speeds"
Bad "Horrible email spam service, frequent jumps in ping. Customer Service is non-existant"
Overall "I would not recommend anyone go with these guys if there is another choice available."

I Switched from Roadrunner to Earthlink a few months ago. Sppeds were identical, but I was to receive 12 months at $19.99, verified by their sales staff. The first thing I noticed was that I immediately started getting tons of spam. I opened 3 accounts and each receive no less than 20-40 spam a day- which started immediately. Then I got my first bill. Low and behold, I was being charged $29.95/month. I called to complain, but simply got the run around from Earthlink. Time Warner in SE WI finally offered to right the situation and go after Earthlink themselves, as they admitted it was their fault, but refused to do anything about it. Then I started experiencing bursts in ping while gaming in the 350-550 range. These bursts would last about 15 minutes and then go back to normal, I called Earthlink, who referred me to Time Warner, who connected me to Roadrunner who said it wasn't their issue (and it wasn't), but tried to assist anyway. So RR is was working to fix Earthlink's issue, because they were too lazy to do so. I was never really given an answer, but the issue resolved after a week or so. While I was on the phone with Earthlink, I asked about all the spam I was getting. I was told to simply increase the blocker software they offer to high, which means that no one outside my address book would get through. While there may be a few people this is ok for, 99.9% of people that has HSI, do see that as a viable option. As an occasional Ebayer and because of work, a filter that strong isn't possible. So basically, Earthlink passes off their technical issues to other ISPs, passes off their customer service to others and passes off their email filtering to their customers, so they don't have to. I highly recommend going with another service if it is available. This company sucks!

Update: After another botched offer that they refused to fulfill, I dropped them as fast as I could. I called to drop and they promised me a retention special for 6 months at $29.99. After never seeing the price, I called and went round and round with their inept customer service again. Again they acknowledged their mistake and again they did nothing to fix it.

Time Warner got involved and basically paid me what Earthlink owed me. I switched back to Road Runner and will NEVER deal with Earthlink again. They are a dishonest, disreputable company and I hope they and their offshore customer service sink linke a rock!

member for 11.4 years, 378 visits, last login: 5.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by LifeIsJust07 See Profile

• Location: Goshen,Orange,NY
Good "Fast and reliable service for your money."
Bad "Sometimes service can be a little flakey."
Overall "You get what you pay for 90% of the time."

I'm on the Earthlink Premium Service package getting speeds of 10 Mbps download and 768 Kbps upload. Had no problems with the order and install process. Was provided with an RCA modem but later on purchased my own Linksys modem for the satisfaction on not having to return one to them. Earthlink seems to be more reliable then Road Runner and in some area's it is cheaper.

Comments:

Review by justDave See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Fast, stable, reliable, no phone or cable tv account required"
Bad "Installation (of anything) is tricky in these parts :-("
Overall "Get it!"

I was an Earthlink/Covad DSL customer for over 2 years. I wanted to make changes to my local service but was afraid Verizon would use it as an excuse to disrupt my DSL. I saw mostly favorable reviews of Earthlink/Time Warner Cable, it was a bit cheaper, a bit faster and it wouldn't be tied to my phone service. Best of all, a cable TV account was not even required.

I ordered through Dell Home. Deal was $30/mo for 6 months, $42/mo afterward. Free install, $80 rebate, no minimum commitment.

Install was fairly painless. Getting access to the utility pole in my neighbor's yard took a second visit and Earthlink went and cancelled the order but I just opened a new order. I made sure we had access the next time and the install was done in a few hours.

Speeds are much better than I was getting with DSL. Just as consistent. Still no downtime to speak of after 6+ months.

(... and now I can switch my phone to Vonage )

member for 14.8 years, 1931 visits, last login: 5 days ago