Earthlink Cable Modem Service page on DSLReports

Review by Fisamo See Profile

• Location: Apex,Wake,NC
Good "Always on -- 'tis true"
Bad "Can't offer TWC's best speeds now."
Overall "Good, reliable broadband connection; reasonable price"

·VOIPO
Update, 4 Feb 2014:
After about 10 years with Earthlink, it's time to switch to TWC Road Runner. Why? Because my discount with TWC is expiring, and the new price for my TV-internet bundle ends up being the same as a new TV-internet bundle promotion that boosts my download speed to 30 and upload speed to 5, and adds whole-home DVR (vs our current service that's one DVR, one regular cable box).

In preparing for the switch, I decided to purchase my own cable modem (SB6141) so I don't have to pay TWC the $5.99/mo lease fee (edited from $7/mo per comment below). Until now, I've had the original SB4220 that TWC provided me when my Earthlink cable was installed. When switching my cable modem, I saw no change in service (speed): typically 7M/600-700k observed, despite what I thought was currently supposed to be 10 or 15 down / 1 up. I thought the reason I hadn't been seeing better speeds was the SB4220 modem.

I also upgraded my router from a 802.11g model with 100M LAN to a 802.11ac model with gigabit LAN. Replacing the router, however, made my actual speeds match the advertised speed on my speed tests.

Farewell, Earthlink--it's been a decent ride, but TWC is putting an effective squeeze on your service offering, since you don't have access to their DOCSIS 3 service. Their new speed and service bundling options are enough for me to switch. I just hope (and expect) that I will be satisfied with my new TWC broadband service.

Original Review:
I've had Earthlink cable for a few years now, and I haven't bothered to write a review, because there isn't much to say. The connection is actually powered by TWC-Raleigh area, so I guess Time Warner gets credit for uptime.

All dealings with Earthlink (the few that I've had) have been pleasant, and they've resolved any issues I had right away. Same goes for calls directly placed to TWC.

Pre-sales info was really taken care of by TWC; all the information was on their webpages, and I chose Earthlink, because they had the best installation deal (no-charge install; free use of equipment--no "rental" as I would have been charged $3/mo if I went with RR). The information was accurate and well laid out on their sales page.

Install went smoothly with TWC contractor.

I'm in a new neighborhood, so the cable buried in my area is new. Quality of the connection is excellent; it supports my VoIP line quite well.

I'm not a big fan of their software, so I don't use it anymore. Now that I have an independent pop-up blocker, it's another application that takes up screen space/clock cycles. Webmail is fine, but it would be good if they upgraded each account to more than 100MB (after all Google gives away over 2GB).

In terms of value for money--I give it 4 of 5, because I'd really like more upload bandwidth. When I want, for example, to order several digital prints, it can be agonizing.

Comments:

JimMcCoy

join:2011-08-20
Jacksonville, NC

Friendly FYI

Modem lease fee is $5.99 / month, (0.20 cents per day).
Fisamo
join:2004-02-20
Apex, NC
·Earthlink Cable ..
·VOIPO

Re: Friendly FYI

Oops--off by $1 (present day, of course--you never know when TWC will increase the lease fee). At $6/mo, the modem at $80 is paid off in just under 14 months, and I had TWC's SB4220 in service for about 10 years (with no lease fee). If this one stays in service for that long, I'll save quite a bit.

Review by Good Ol Dan See Profile

• Location: Spring,Montgomery,TX
Good "Faster (and cheaper) than DSL, no contract, nationwide dial-up"
Bad "Variable speeds, high latency, clueless support"
Overall "It works, but don't expect too much..."

After SBC and my ISP couldn't come to terms over DSL service, I was suddenly among the broadband "homeless" and decided to have a look at cable. I found that Earthlink was available via Time Warner cable in my neighborhood.

Speed promised was "about" 2000K down, 384 up. After a very easy install to my Netgear router (and no grief from the installer about being on a network), those speeds were confirmed.

I signed up on line, and did everything else online too, including scheduling the install time (on a Tuesday, after signing up 3 days earlier on Friday). The dial-up access and e-mail were available immediately upon signup. Compared to the troubles I experienced initially with installing DSL, this was a walk in the park.

After a month or two of smooth sailing, the troubles began. The speeds that seemed stable in the beginning became wildly variable. Due to Time Warner's reliance on the "in house' AOL Transit Data Network, latency at peaks times would skyrocket and routing to even nearby sites might involve 20 or more hops. Earthlink and Time Warner, despite numerous complaints and documentation from users (see the DSL Reports forums) would only occasionally admit there was a problem, and would usually blame it all on the fact that someone might be using a router at home.

So I took the time to find another good "partner" ISP with SBC, and moved back to DSL after about three months of cable service. Cable is probably fine if you plan to check your e-mail and maybe watch a movie trailer now and then... but if you are serious about consistent performance, run away!

Dan

Comments:

Review by cchhat01 See Profile

• Location: Elmhurst,Queens,NY
Good "$29.95 for 6mo, blazing fast, single digit pings, ALWAYS CONNECTED, CATV not reqd"
Bad "41.95 afterwards, otherwise this is the service to have (if OOL is not an option)"
Overall "Very reliable service, best bang for the speed/buck, no extra cost if no CATV"

·RCN CABLE
I've been on and off with cable modem services because of budgets, as I am a college student. I've tried Road Runner (6months), then EarthLink (for 1.5 years as soon as I knew it was available), then Road Runner again (for about a month) and RCN for 4 months and now I'm back to EarthLink (and I love it).

As you can see I've been a man about town when it comes to cable internet services. I started with Road Runner as it became available. It was horrible. The speed was good but the connection reliability was pathetic but it was the only feasible option since DSL was too expensive then. Then as soon as EarthLink was offering the Cable Modem service through Time Warner, I switched. It was lower priced by a few bucks and it didn't cost anything extra to have just the cable modem installed (with no other services from Time Warner). Road Runner charges you $10 more if you do not have the Standard Cable TV service package from Time Warner. So I saved a bit there. At that time, EarthLink was also experiencing some connectivity issues but their’s was so much more reliable. Connections barely went down once in two months.

I tried RCN a while later because of the promotional rates. It never disconnected but then again, I wasn't satisfied with their USENET services. Really terrible. And the ping times were in double digits. So Cancelled that after a while.

Back with EarthLink now. On a promotional $29.95/month for 6 months (this is the 4th month I think) and $41.95 thereafter. Their Usenet service is much much better than it used to be a year ago. The connection has been rock solid stable (knock on wood) since I got their service. I cannot complain about this at all. I hated the RCA 315 modem but it’s the best in terms of holding up the connection so far.

Ping times to/from DSLReports are almost always in single digits. As low as 6 ms. I don't understand how two services offered on the same cable line can be so different (comparing with Road Runner).

So do I recommend the service? Hell yea. If you can get it, then get it. Stop fooling yourself and experience some real broadband.

UPDATE: 01/10/2013: I haven't had EarthLink service for ages now. I went to RCN for a better deal and have stuck with them more or less...

member for 12.9 years, 3567 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by LoneGreyWolf See Profile

• Location: Winter Haven,Polk,FL
Good "So far the speeds have been consistent and over the advertized speed by a little, 11.4 Mbps as opposed to up to 10Mbps."
Bad "None yet."
Overall "No complaints as of yet, but only have had the service for 10 days."

I ordered Earthlink service through Brighthouse on December 17 and set the install date for the 21st. Installation happened as it should on the 21st with no surprises other than being told they could only provide me with a 6 foot cord and I needed the modem to be across the room so I could hook the television up with an ethernet cable. Ended up just putting the modem and router on top of my wife's china cabinet near where the cable outlet is.

The service has been consistent and I have no complaints as of yet. Have my own linksys router connected for wireless capability and have it secured through MAC filtering.

Since it's only really been 10 days, I will review a couple months out.

member for 11.6 years, 1272 visits, last login: 316 days ago

Comments:

Review by kiddigital See Profile

• Location: Deltona,Volusia,FL
Good "Rock Solid Reliability, Good Speeds."
Bad "Would have to switch to Roadrunner to get the 40Mb wideband speeds now available in this area."
Overall "Solid High Speed Connection at a price you can live with."

Updated 7/28/12: Still going strong with Earthlink via Brighthouse. The speed is now 10Mb/1Mb for the same $41.95 a month. The reliability has been excellent despite a recent outage (first in well over a year). And the pings (important for VOIP and gaming) has actually gone down indicating that Brighthouse has made upgrades to their network.

I just did an internet only comparison to CenturyLink (the only HSI competitor in this area) and they want a laughable $90 for their 20Mb tier of service. I could upgrade my current service to 20Mb/2Mb for only $51.90. Given the decade plus of reliability and present level of satisfaction with the service I don't think I'll ever part with Earthlink and Brighthouse.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------

I originally had RoadRunner service via Bright House Networks (formerly Time Warner). When I first had it installed in the summer of 2000 the speed was 256 up/1500 down for 49.95 a month. By the end of that year it had increased to 256/2000 followed a few months later by 384/2000. It was also around this time that the monthly rate dropped to 44.95. The most recent increase we recieved was to 384/3000 where it stands currently.

I decided to go with Earthlink Cable because it was the exact same service and speed at a lower price (29.95 for 6 mos. and then 41.95/mon. thereafter). In addition I'd get 3 extra email accounts and more personal webspace.

The same day I "cancelled" service with Bright House they called me up to arrange installation for Earthlink. I was fortunate enough to get a sales rep who did some research and figured out that I still had my cable modem and that all I needed was to have it turned back on and provisioned with Earthlink. When all was said and done I was without broadband for about 3 hours.

I have been happy with my cable service for the last 4 years and really have no major complaints. There's the extremely rare occasional outage or bill snafu, but in the end they always find a way to make me happy.

I definitely would recommend Brighthouse Cable Modem service (Earthlink, Roadrunner, Internet Junction) to anyone in this area. It's a much better bang for the buck compared to the only very recently available Sprint DSL (60/mon. for 256/1500) assuming it's even available at your residence.

Comments:

Review by jaydro See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Fast connection"
Bad "It's really Time Warner"
Overall "It's the best I can do here"

Got tired of Frontier's nightly slow-downs after years of having no trouble with Verizon, gave up on any improvement of upgrade possibility after waiting so long for promised FIOS. Had bad experience with Time Warner ten years ago and was completely opposed to going back to them. Considered Clear Wireless, but they don't serve my location. Went with Earthlink because it was the only option and I could pretend it wasn't Time Warner. Was promised 6M speed at introductory $40/month (goes up to $50 after six months), but I'm getting the local TW standard of 10M. Earthlink sales rep was very aggressive and annoying--TW people were actually better to deal with on the install side. Got a Motorola Surfboard 5100 modem, which I think I prefer to the Ubee and I get to use my old Linksys wireless router after clearing my DNS settings out of it.

Comments:

Review by hsAG3NT See Profile

• Location: Schenectady,Schenectady,NY

This is my review

Comments:

Review by TOMMAX See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "They are my favorite cable internet provider"
Bad "they don t have higfh speed wideband"

Really i miss Earth Link they are my favorite, i had them for almost 2 year s
no complaint
no issues
no problem
nothing at all

I moved to TWC Road Runner because they have higher speed.
and now all my problems start.
internet not stable
customer service / tech support not helpful ( expect Tier 3)
paying more money for unstable service and unprofessional customer service.

Comments:

Review by loli See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Great Speeds, Great Service, Console Friendly"
Bad "None Yet"
Overall "Great Cable service for the price"

It was a Friday afternoon and I was able to convince my parents to get cable. On Saturday I called through Time Warner to order cable internet. All went well. Time Warner transferred me to Earthlink and I was talking to the representative. He offered me to have some one install it or self-installation. I went for the self-install since its so easy. They offered to mail it and it would take a day or two but I was anxious and decided I should pick it up downtown. 10 minutes subway ride and I got my package no problem. Went back home and after I got the cables attached and everything, one hour later my modem was blinking and was online right away.

A few minutes after I was online I was not satisfied with what I saw. I was geting 1070/370. I'm supposed to get 2000/384 sooo I went to this site and tweaked the connection a bit. Now I'm getting constant 2100/364. Love using it for my Playstation 2 and PC games. Now I set up a wireless network and have 2 comps connected to it.

Update 04/17/09 : No issues still. Great latency still and low VOIP price due to their discount. Still hoping on FIOS though.

Update 06/16/12: After so many years, I will no longer have service in a few days. Will be moving over to Verizon FIOS. No issues otherwise.

member for 11.6 years, 6234 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

loli
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

Verizon FiOS

Hah! Was waiting on FIOS since 2009... good times

Review by praetoralpha See Profile

• Location: Mount Vernon,Knox,OH
Good "good connection in my area"
Bad "none"
Overall "good price, good speed"

(this review is from 2005/2006, in Mount Vernon, Ohio, not Pittsburgh)

I got the special broadband reports.com promotion last august, 6 months for 29.95/month, 41.95/month thereafter. The only cable internet company in my town is Time Warner, and my cable actually goes through them. When ordering, they had re-routed my call to time warner, and nothing happened, so I had to call earthlink back. Other than that, ordering was snagless.

Installation took about 45 minutes. For the first weekend, I was at 5mbit/s. I was downloading all I could get my greasy hands on, since I said so long to dialup.

After 2 days, I was bumped down to 2700k / 470k. Plenty enough, since this is the only comp in the house, but still. About two weeks later, just to see if it wasn't a fluke that would go away, I chatted with a support rep, who informed me that i had signed up for the 2 megabit package.

One evening (in October, i think) i noticed that my speeds were VERY sluggish. I tested 90k / 99k. then i saw that the Columbus, OH cable node had went down. It was fixed within 12 hours. Only outage in 10 months. Not that bad. Then a few months later, this idiot was cutting a tree up the street, and it snagged a few lines. There was a time warner van there within 2 hours, and I was back online.

About mid-march, my speed was bumped up to 4700k / 470k, like it was those first two days that I had earthlink. It was around then that time warner was advertising that road runner had been upped to 8 megabit speeds. I assume they want as few tiers as possible, so there was no longer 3 and 5 mb tiers, but 5 and 8 tiers. Its been that way ever since.

(update, May 2012) I have long since moved out, but my parents still use this. Over the intervening years, speeds have been upped to current 10m / 1m. They have had a Vonage line for several years, and it's worked well with this connection.

Last year they had problems where the modem would drop the connection intermittently (about once or so per day). Was home for Christmas, and mom claimed that it had been like that for months. I assumed that there might be a signal problem with the modem, and called to have them check the levels (I would love to know how to read dB levels, but don't know how to interpret). Said to call back when there was a problem. I googled around saw that the modem was not supported and not on TW's approved modem list. (Surfboard 4200) Went to the local TW office the next day and exchanged it for a new Cisco one, no issues since. Mom noticed how much smaller it was, but I said that it was the same size/form factor as all the other cable modems I've used for years.