Mediacom page on DSLReports

Review by RezzIA See Profile

• Location: Bettendorf,Scott,IA
Good "Absolutely nothing. "
Bad "Slow speeds, constant outages, horrible customer service."
Overall "Would be out of business with any competition."

This is my honest review as a fed up consumer. I've been using mediacom as my ISP now for a couple years, and it's been nothing but a big headache.

I don't get the speeds I pay for, there are constant outages, the internet will be unreliable/slow *every* night between 12am and 6am due to their "maintenance", prices keep going up up UP... and when technical problems arise talking to their support team is like talking to a brick wall. It is among the worst service and customer service I have ever experienced from any company in my entire life.

The only reason they are in business is because they have a monopoly on most rural areas, and people don't have a choice. I feel with any competition, they would go out of business. Right now they are only in business because there is no other choice for many of us.

In the years ahead with Google fiber and big cities getting smart about their internet access networks, I think poorly consumer rated companies like Mediacom will fade away. Look what happened to AOL and other dial up ISPs when broadband and DSL started getting popular. Same thing is going to happen to companies like Mediacom when cities start getting smart about their fiber networks. In the meantime, I feel bad for consumers who have to put up with this horrible sham of a company.

I could go on and on here but I'll stop. If you don't have to use mediacom, don't. I'm sure their support staff will chime in here with the typical canned responses, but when you try to talk to them 1 on 1, it feels like you're talking to a robot who doesn't listen.

I would seriously rate them 0 out of 5 stars.

And as an added bonus to this review, I am literally moving to get out of their service area. If that doesn't tell you how bad of an ISP they are, I don't know how else to convince you.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Support

RezzaIA (MMOloser),

I can understand you frustration with the service issues you have been having, including but not limited to the maintenance that we perform in the early morning hours. I assure you it was not my intention to mislead you in any way. Our Social Media Team, myself included, are here to assist our customers so they do not have to call and wait on hold for a prolonged amount of time.

I have went back through our conversations here, as well as the ones you have had with our Twitter support and I can see that we have offered to assist you with any service issues you have had, but thus far we have not been given any account information in order to do so. You mentioned here in this review that you are having service issues including slow and intermittent service. We would hate to lose you as a customer and we (Our Social Media Team) will more than happy to look into the issues you are having from here and work to address them accordingly.

If you would like to get the issues you are having addressed, feel free to send me an IM with your account or phone number, or provide the information to our Twitter support.
RezzIA

join:2014-03-28

Re: Support

Haven't reached out to customer support? Really? That's odd since I'm on the telephone with them at least 3x a week and have had several techs out to the house in the last year trying to get this problem fixed to no avail.

Finally one of the techs admitted it wasn't a problem with my equipment. He said the area was waaaaay over capacity and that's why everyone was having connection issues.

Not to mention you and some other support agents were sending me to the blatantly wrong URL to check for local maintenance (which has, at least, been resolved now thanks to your honesty).

Chad, I respect your ability to help and I think you deserve to work for a much better company, but sometimes you have to realize that Mediacom is the lowest rated consumer ISP for a reason.

Us customers don't just make this stuff up to spite you. The service is poor and the support is even worse.

The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in most cases with you guys.

Review by potato See Profile

• Location: Monroeville,Monroe,AL
Good "When the service works it is fast, local techs are really nice"
Bad "Constant modem disconnects, service goes out for hours, techs never fix anything"
Overall "Avoid this company if you have a choice of providers"

Written 2013-02-21
----------------------------
I've been with Mediacom internet for a little over six years, only because I don't have a choice. When I moved here and signed up I had both television and internet service. After frequent TV problems I dropped Mediacom for TV after my contract was up and went with DirecTV. DirecTV is disgustingly expensive, but I haven't had problems over the last two years, except for very few 2 or 3 minute interruptions when weather is really bad (and it has to be really really bad for this to happen). If there was a better option for a more reasonable price, I would gladly leave DirecTV.

Mediacom internet service is a cruel joke where I live. They are more expensive than other ISPs and can't seem to provide solid service. Speeds are all over the place, though latency is generally OK. A few times a month latency increases and I get a lot of dropped packets for an hour or two.

Starting in June 2012 my modem reboots itself several times a day. Sometimes it gets bad enough that it just reboots non-stop for hours - the logs are full of T3 and T4 timeouts.

I am on my 5th modem since June 2012 - 2 Mediacom rentals and 3 of my own. The techs finally agreed its probably not the modem.

The techs that have come out to my house have tried just about everything. I have a new line from the pole to the house, a new line from the junction box to the modem. No splitters, just a grounding terminal in the junction box. I think they finally realize the problem is on their end, but they don't seem to have the capability to troubleshoot and fix the problem. At the time of this post, the problem has been ongoing, everyday, for almost 9 months.

There is currently a ten page post concerning this problem on the Mediacom support forums. The typical response when inquiring about news from the people 'working' on this problem is "We're looking into it".

Last month, one of their routers was blocking access to their own sites. I had to use a proxy to post on their support forum.

Telephone support is generally useless. Instead of actually trying to see if there is an area problem (ie. looking to see how many modems are offline or querying the CMTS), they schedule a tech to come out days later. The tech ends up calling and saying, "There was an area problem that we fixed. Is everything working OK now?" There seems to be no communication between their phone support and local techs. Phone support never knows about area-wide problems. I feel really bad for my local techs. We are on a first name basis now. Even the local tech ops supervisor has been to my house to 'apologize'.

I've had a lot of ISPs as I use to move around a lot. Mediacom is without a doubt the worst.

I wish I could drop this service, but where I am there is no other high speed service available ... yet. The local telco is rolling out 25mb DSL in some areas nearby - that would be plenty of speed for me. Unfortunately it looks like I am stuck with Mediacom for quite a while. You can bet, however, as soon as the telco offers high speed on my street I will switch in a heart beat.

Update 2013-07-17
----------------------------
After 13 months the problems still exist and I still have no alternative for broadband. If you have a choice in providers, my recommendation to avoid this company like the plague still stands. Terrible.

I see why they ranked last place by Consumer Reports and JD Power & Associates for the last few years

Update 2013-11-13
----------------------------
After 17 months they still can't get this service working properly for more than a couple of days at a time. But because they have no competition in this area, I am stuck paying for overpriced bad service if I want half working internet.

Things are even getting worse now. The brief disconnects are becoming 20+ minute outages. Pathetic.

Update 2014-03-26
----------------------------
21 months into this and Mediacom still cannot fix their problems. Unfortunately it is still the only choice in town.

Update 2014-04-09
----------------------------
'Corporate Escalations' scheduled a tech (why??) to come to my door and tell me the problem is not here. I could have sworn we established that over a year ago, several times. It took 2 weeks for that pointless tech visit.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Hello potato,

I completely understand your frustration with the level of service in which you are have received thus far. I assure you we do want to help you. Can you send me an IM with your account or phone number so I can look into these issues and address the issue properly.

»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSuppor···c=7709.0

That's me

Re: Service

I assure you, we are working on this issue. I have looked over the escalation that the Moderators on the Support Forums submitted and Area Management is working diligently to get you the service you are paying for. I see that we were given an update today and are still working on this. As soon as we get an update, I will either reply to you on this site or the Moderators on the Forums will followup with you there.

Re: Service

"Area Management is working diligently to get you the service you are paying for"

I was told this was escalated past my local area management. They obviously don't have the ability to fix the issue. Why was I lied to?

»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSuppor···sg112653

Re: Service

Escalated higher or not it makes no difference, the bottom line is field techs are always the same and it's up to them to fix your problem. You can contact corporate and they will escalate it but in the end it does not matter that much. Intermittent upstream SNR issues are hard to pinpoint most of the time.

Good news is they will work on it as long as they can see an issue from their end (as in packet loss, signal issue, noise etc).

2 edits

Re: Service

Then its time to can the current techs and hire new ones with experience. Why even bother "escalating" the issue if its the same people trying to figure it out?

Don't get me wrong, everyone I've met has been really nice and they genuinely seem sympathetic, but over 8 months with the same problem says it all - incompetent and inefficient. Bring someone else in to get a fresh perspective.

----------
Support: "Escalate this issue"

Tech Ops: "We already wrote the issue on the board in yellow AND underlined it. I guess we'll have to go to the highest escalation ... get me the red pen!"

Management: "LOL, he's still paying full price"

Share Holders: "LOL, raise prices"
----------

I noticed your review of the company you work for. That seems pretty shady. I can't believe DSLReports OR Mediacom would allow that. It certainly doesn't make Mediacom look very good to have a self-admitted shill (Mediacom employee) posting reviews.

I do thank you, however, for letting me know the truth about escalations. It gives me a little more insight into the company.

*** I will say today (so far) has been the best day I've had in weeks ... just one timeout that I am aware of.
*** Update - back to frequent modem reboots

mac8535

@bardstowncable.net

mediacom

I have the same problems that I'm reading here. Service goes out , call support- no other outages in your area.
Schedule a tech to come days later, nite before tech is to come special support calls and explains how sorry they are and have found the problem and we are good as new. Hang up the phone and out goes the Internet. Same bull, PLUS THEY ARE RUDE AND HAVE NO IDEA WHAT CUSTOMER SERVICE IS ALL ABOUT????

Re: mediacom

mac8535,

I would be happy to look into these service issues you are having and get them resolved for you. The customer service you have described is definitely not what the company wants to provide and I will do what I can to make everything right for you. Feel free to private message me on here with your account or phone number to get started.

whamel
billhamel .net
join:2002-05-09
Hinsdale, IL
·Verizon Broadban..

Mediacom has an overall terrible network...

When I lived in Iowa City, IA going to U of Iowa, I refused to get Mediacom at the 3 different residences I lived at while in school. In fact, except for freshman year (where i got 1 Gbps in the dorm), I used Qwest the local telco. It is now called CenturyLink, but back then the DSL was the way to go in Iowa City. Mediacom was WAY oversubscribed in Iowa City, and having college students on those mediacom lines meant major congestion, HIGH latency, HIGH packet loss and a overall shitty service.
As for TV those 3 years, Qwest bundled DirecTV with their DSL so we got a good discount as well.
Since I also game, I need a reliable conection 99% of the time or gaming online becomes a chore.
GOOD luck!

hjg
Hinsdale, IL - »www.billhamel.net

Still having issues after 21 months

21 months into these problems and Mediacom still cannot fix their problems. Pathetic bunch of thieves. Unfortunately, Mediacom is the only provider in town, I think this is why they don't care. They know they have a monopoly and people are going to use them even with all the problems and lack of support.
twhiting9275

join:2002-08-30
Waterloo, IA

Re: Still having issues after 21 months

I am so sorry, I know the frustration and pain that comes from having these guys as the ONLY provider in town.

I recently discovered they've been ripping me off since August, hiding certain things on my bill, so I can relate to the 'thieves' part as well. Shady, duplicitous thieves
RezzIA

join:2014-03-28
·Mediacom
Exact same issues with these Mediacom scammers. Completely horrible internet service. They shouldn't even be allowed to call themselves an ISP.

I'm a very avid gamer but ever since I moved to Iowa, it's almost impossible to game online with the constant lag, packet loss, and disconnects. The nightly outages between 12 and 6 every single night are absolutely ridiculous.

I never had these issues back home with Time Warner Cable. I am literally considering moving just to get out of a Mediacom service area. It's really THAT bad.
kfunkjr

join:2009-12-18
Hiawatha, IA

Crappy service

I have the Ultra 50 service. That would be 50 megabit which translates into a wee bit over 6 megaBytes. Right now I am downloading a file and getting 300 kiloBytes which translates to abut 1/18 of the advertised speed.

I truly do understand overhead and all of that but even on good days I only manage a max of 3MB. On rare occasions it will spike up to 4MB. However every night after 4pm local time bandwidth drops massively. The 300kB mentioned above is about normal. This has gotten really bad over the last few months.

All Mediacom wants to do is send out a tech. Guess what, the tech only comes during the day when bandwidth is normal...if you can call half of what you pay for normal. Over time they have replace the cable inside the house and from the pole to the house. It has made no difference.

This is a company that is so afraid of competition that they spent several million dollars lobbying against the small town where I live trying to get a vote on a city owned cable service. I live in Hiawatha which is attached to Cedar Rapids, IA. Hiawatha put a cable initiative on the ballot a few years ago. Between actual money spent and free ad space give to the persons lobbying against the vote....you would think they have something to be scared of.

I think it is about time to try and convincee the city council to put this back on the ballot.

Review by jft5000 See Profile

• Location: North Liberty,St Joseph,IN
Good "decent speed, when it's working"
Bad "have to reset modem constantly, drops connection. customer service is the worst."
Overall "If there was another option, they would not have my business."

I read another review that began with this, and it's a perfect start, "Firstly, this company has NO respect for you as a customer"

Sleazy sales staff who sign you up for a contract without telling you ... Price goes up after 12 months and you are locked in for another 12, apparently. Customer service was extremely rude about handling the situation and not helpful in any way.

They said I would have to dispute this with my local office. When I asked how to contact my local office, they said "We don't have a phone number for customers for that office ... you will have to go in person ..." -- WHAT?!

I had no idea there was a local office. A company that provides internet and telecommunications does not give out their number for customers? When I complained about this not making any sense, the customer service rep said "Well, that's between you and them!" as if it was none of her concern at this point.

I also asked if I was able to change speeds of my connection. I was told "Not without cancelling your contract..." Now this really made no sense to me and I am almost certain it was a lie.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

MediacomChad

jft5000,

I apologize for the level of service you have experienced thus far. I assure you this is not what we expect any of our customers to go through. I will be happy to look into any issues you are having from here. Can you send me an IM with your account or phone number?

Upgrade vs downgrade

I'm pretty sure they will let you upgrade internet service but not downgrade without breaking your contract.

Review by Grandpasnorz See Profile

• Location: Orange Beach,Baldwin,AL
Good "Nice HD Picture on some channels"
Bad "Dont honor promotions as agreed, tech support is terrible, service is always up and down"
Overall "Go with ANYONE else as this company is terrible"

I have had service for over a year. They did not honor the promotions as agreed. Countless billing problems. Service is up and down all the time. About a 1 month earliest date for a tech to show up on average. Then, they no show. Internet and TV has gone down for multiple days before. DVR's have died. I get tiling all the time and gave up complaining about it as it never was fixed since install. Sadly, where I live, this really is the only option. I'm going to move JUST to get away from Mediacom. Mediacom Chad on the forums is about the only person at the company that is any good who can actually help.

member for 2.3 years, 28 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MediacomChad

Service

Thank you for contacting me here about this issue. I see that I am working with you via IM. As soon as I have any information regarding this issue, I will followup with you.

Review by twhiting9275 See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,Black Hawk,IA
Good "There's good?"
Bad "Thieving , duplicitous actions"
Overall "Look for ANY other provider"

********************
*Updated April 2014*
********************

Taking a look through some of the other reviews for Mediacom, I have to agree that most of them are dead on, and speak to the level of incompetence, thievery, and all out crooked actions taken by the individuals @ Mediacom over the past few years. My own thoughts, and experience with this company, over the past 12 years.

Firstly, this company has NO respect for you as a customer. They will pull each and every sneaky and duplicitous action to pilfer more money from you to them.. A perfect example of this:

In 2012, after hearing they were going to start charging people for 'cap' overages (that's duplicitous in itself, but another story), I called them up, weighed the options and told them I wanted to be signed up for a 50m/s package. No worries, they said, we got it all done and signed up, and the agreed upon price was $75/month, once the special period was over.

Fast forward to the end of the special period. My $75/month suddenly rose to $95/month. I double checked the bill, talked to misc. individuals, was assured that I was only receiving 50m/s repeatedly, and that was the actual price.

After looking at my options again, I was informed that the package was ACTUALLY a 100m/s package, and that I had been on it since the day my 'special' period expired. Ok, so, I checked the invoices. Lo and behold, they still had this labeled as an Ultra 50. Why? Well, of course, they wanted me to NOT call in and drop the package!

So, for 8 months now, I've been (over)paying Mediacom. Their response? We won't refund you jack, we have the right to do this, etc.

This is as duplicitous as it gets, this is shady thievery at it's finest, right here

Adding to this, the level of (in)competent support, starting with Chad right here on these forums. Claiming certain things are needed when they're not, trying to scam customers out of more $$$ when they're not needed to be, trying to basically nickel and dime their customers for everything they've got.

We won't even begin to discuss the multiple 6+hour long outages that clients can BET they're going to receive every year. Last one? 4/4/14. Before that? January of 14, with 24+ hours of uninterrupted downtime, because these incompetents can't even THINK to do their jobs right.

If you're all about downtime, dealing with outsourced support, having your money (literally) stolen from your pocket, then look to Mediacon . These people are as shady as it gets.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Mediacom Support

Hello,

I see Drew from the Mediacom support forums was working with you earlier today. The overall signal levels to the area and your modem look good. However, your modem has logged a few resets recently. This doesn't seem to be happening to other modem nearby through. There is a service call scheduled for a tech to check our equipment and connections on site a bit closer to help narrow this down. The moderators on the Mediacom forum be following up with you there once the service call has been completed. If you need anything in the meantime, feel free to message me here or one of the moderators on our support forum.
»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/
Expand your moderator at work

JSTaylor

@mchsi.com

poor service, both technical and customer

mediacom has been a terrible service for me. low bandwidth, expensive, and drops constantly. on top of that, the modem i rent from them is very poor, and old.

really, if there were ANY other alternatives, i would drop this crappy company in a heart beat. even their HD channels are poor quality, and constantly cut out sound or the picture pixelates and then has to go black to reset itself.

when streaming on netflix, with a 30mbps connection hardwired to my xbox one with the correct ports forwarded and the ip assigned to the xbox, i still can't manage to get better than a 360/480i image quality with poor stereo sound.

it wouldn't be so bad, if i wasn't paying 80+ dollars for service that is so far below "par" that it makes me just sick at my stomach every time i power up a net device. I do hear that next year, DSL may be available in my area, and despite the significant speed decrease, i will gladly switch for a slower, but at least consistent service that i will be able to use.

mediacom is a terrible company, with sub standard services, poor equipment, and completely lack a sense of urgency when addressing concerns. avoid at all costs and only use WHEN there is no one else to turn to, and even then, i just got LTE in my area and am thinking about turning my phone into a hot spot or getting one of those hot spots from verizon, knowing its STUPID expensive, just to get a service that will allow me to complete at least one match of COD Ghosts or BF4 on my xbox one without dropping off and getting kicked out of xbox live.

man i hate mediacom
twhiting9275

join:2002-08-30
Waterloo, IA

Just adding to this

It would appear that my own review was too early. JUST when I thought they couldn't get any worse, they went and did it.

On January 18th, at 730 am (CST), my internet went out. Surprised? Not so much, it happens from time to time. I do the usual, reset router, cable modem, etc... No dice

1/2 hour later, still nothing. I call mediacom. Support (oddly enough, US) acts all uppity because I tell him it's only been a half hour , says he's heard nothing in the past "half hour" (like half hour is nothing), puts me through to internet support. Still no notification... But wait, they check again, and there it is.

Asked for an ETA?
"Usually, we try to have these things resolved in 3 hours"
Like this is NORMAL!
Ok, ok, so I go to bed (weekends are my 3rd shift days)
Around 2pm, still nothing.
Around 4, well, things began to trickle back on
5? Right back off
No response, or actual usability again until 2am.
We're talking 18 / 24 hours of downtime. That's how long they had me down.
What's better? This affected IA, AZ, CA, MN, MO and IL... NOT a small market here

Mediacom loves to be cheap, absolutely

Review by wth See Profile

• Location: Iowa City,Johnson,IA
Good "Steady speed 24/7"
Bad "Nothing at this time"

Did not rate Pre sales/install since I have have been on this cable modem the past 11+ years B4 Mediacom purchased the system. Node was upgraded in 10/07 to regain top speed during primetime, and has been steady since. In Sept '08, they increased the speed from 8/768 to 12/1. Big upgrade at the headend in Aug '11 fixed all speed issues. Speeds were increased to 15/1 in 2013. Monthly cost does not include modem rental fee of $5/month, as I own my own modem.

member for 12.1 years, 6170 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MediacomChad

Support

I'm happy you are satisfied with your Mediacom service. If you ever have any issues or have questions or concerns feel free to let me know.

MediaCon

Re: Support

[Mediacon, if you can message me your account or phone number I can check the availability of Ultra 105 in your area.]
ERIK RENY
14916 N RICHLAND LN
CHILLICOTHE, IL 615239289

Since i'm not a member of dslreports just mssg me back in the thread of what is available. i really dont want 3 yr contract for commercial account as i am not sure i will be in the area in 3 yrs. my job could move me at a moments notice if they choose. thanks for your help.
And yes, the online beats the human factor by far. so kudos to you all in the Gulf!!!

Review by tuyul See Profile

Good "http://www.kingdomonlinetd.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=87630"
Overall "http://www.kingdomonlinetd.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=87630"

»www.kingdomonlinetd.com/viewtopi···&t=87630

Comments:

Review by cangcimen See Profile

will stand over the weather, or bad condition in »www.reddit.com/r/TheWire/comments/1y32ks
The wolf of wall street online free.

Comments:

Megan333

TERRIBLE service

I have been trying to get in touch with Mediacom for DAYS. Every time I call i get an automated response saying that they are too busy for my call. I have been a customer for a year, and they have raised my rates for an internet that NEVER works. I rely on the internet for just about everything, including homework, bills, weather and news updates, and communication... and it is completely pointless.
I purposefully got the plan that allows a household to use the internet at the same time (even though there are only two of us) and It is constantly slow even when only one of us use it! I have tried to get the service department out to look at it, and after buying three routers, having the service technician track mud through my house, and changing the outlets... still no improvement.

DO NOT GET MEDIACOM. T

Re: TERRIBLE service

Hello Megan333,

I do apologize you've dealt with these issues and I would be happy to help you. If you could please send me a private message with your account or phone number we can troubleshoot your service issues and I'll make sure everything gets taken care of. Also, you can use this as a way to get support if by chance the phone lines are busy.

Annoyed

Why Mediacom why????

Mediacom has never worked for me. If you are looking for spotty Internet, meaning that you like having your Internet cut in and out every single minute, then Mediacom is the place to go. Other than that they have horrible connection and it never works.

Sincerely,
Annoyed Customer

Redman88

@deere.com

Mediacom its just a company name no service behind it

I ordered a cable internet from Mediacom a year ago for just $20 a month, What a great deal!!! I thought first. However, after the tech installed the company's cheap modem, my problems started with the internet connection. Just to say that I had the internet for 10 days and I was able to connect to the internet 5 minutes per hour. Actually, I was really impressed that to see how these guys were able to design the user internet connection with such a high accuracy (exactly for 5 minutes per hour). Anyways, I asked them to terminate the service (actually fake service). Furthermore, their customer service sucks. The only other internet provider in my area is AT&T so I called them for a 5 mbps DSL internet for $32 a month (first six month) and $51 after the promotion months, which is relatively an expenses internet according to its speed, but, it is much much much more better than Mediacom's internet. At leaset you have something to connect to.
Thanks

Review by jtmm9c See Profile

• Location: Knoxville,Marion,IA
Good "Great when it works"
Bad "techs don't know much, be prepared to be without service if they have to schedule an appointment. Impose data cap"
Overall "I'll probably drop service and go to a differed provider soon"

I have ordered 50 Mbps Internet services with digital cable and phone service. I initially called 2 weeks before I moved to IA to set up an appointment. Unfortunately they did not have a time available until 2 weeks after my move. So the initial service start time was 4 weeks from the date I called. On top of that their "flexible install times" mean we will give you a 6 hour window when the tech may or may not show up. Once you get a tech, if that's what you would call them, you have to show them how to do their job. The guy didn't know the difference between a component and an HDMI cable. Initially my DVR HDMI port didn't work, so naturally he just plugged it in as component because "they are the same". I had to physically take the box to my local store to get it replaced to get the HDTV I was paying for. After the guy installed the TV, he moved onto the Internet which apparently was a "shakey signal but should work". Well here we are today and my Internet had been down for close to 48 hours and after a call yesterday to get them to fix it, I now have an appointment for a tech to check it out...February 12th. That's 10 days before they would find the time to come out here. On top of that, when I asked if I would be reimbursed for the services I'm paying for but not getting, I was told they have to send the tech first before they will reimburse me (which sounds like a no to me). Also, the company imposes a data cap on the Internet but doesn't provide a way to view the amounts of data used.

All in all, very shady company. Today I'm looking for other providers. I would suggest looking elsewhere for your media services.

Update 2/10/14:

After over an hour of complaining, I was able to convince Mediacom to send a tech out the next day. Once the tech came out, I thought my connectivity issues were resolved. Unfortunately, I was wrong. My internet and phone went down again today and had been down since noon. I called up tech support and again, I had to complain for over an hour to convince them to send a tech out. Initially, they were going to schedule the tech to come out next Wednesday, 9 days away. I wish this would get resolved soon and I wish I didn't have to complain so much to get anything done in less than a week's time. Pathetic.

Update: 2/15/14

Once the tech came out to visit, the internet was fixed. However, today my cable is broke. I haven't had TV service all day. We'll see how long it take Mediacom to fix this issue....

Comments:

MediacomChad

Hello jtmm9c,

I completely understand your frustration with the level of service you have been having since you signed up for the service. I will be more than happy to look into your issues from here and see what I can do about getting your trouble call moved up.

Also, there is a way to monitor your usage. You can view it by going to »mediacomtoday.com/ and clicking on "View My Internet Usage". Once you are here, you will be asked to sign in with a Mediacom email address. If you currently do not have you, you will need to sign up for one. There is a link to sign up for an email address on this page. Once this is completed, it will take 24 hours for the information to populate in our system and you will be able to view you usage.

Please feel free to send me an IM on this site with your account or phone number and I will be happy to look into your issues from here.

Component = HDMI per Mediacom policy

Component and HDMI are the same as far as Mediacom is concerned. Max resolution is 1080i and if you check you will see that components can handle 1080i. If you want to spend your time and get another DCT with HDMI port that's cool but techs don't have to. Otherwise Mediacom would stop using silver colored Pace HD equipment because HDMI port is going to fail it's just a matter of time.
jtmm9c

Knoxville, IA

Re: Component = HDMI per Mediacom policy

Yes, component and HDMI both can output 1080i, but to keep the amount of cables to a minimum, I prefer HDMI since it carries audio to my receiver as well. The big issue was that the tech said he couldn't replace the box and I had to take it up to personally to get it replaced. He wouldn't even offer to bring me a different one at a later date.

Re: Component = HDMI per Mediacom policy

Techs can not make any requests. Even if you request a specific piece of hardware on the work order it means nothing to the tech because he has to deal with whatever equipment he gets from Mediacom.

Yes everyone prefers HDMI even techs but there is no way he can bring one at a later date. Once the job is done it's done and he moves on to the next one.

Lazy Senior

join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL
·Mediacom
Component is a pain, especially if you use a Home Theater receiver since component does not carry an audio signal. No matter how you or Mediacom wants to spin it - HDMI is the standard for HD and Dolby sound.

Fortunately i have been smart enough not to use Mediacom TV service. I have been using HDMI forever with 3 different TV's and various sources like PS-3, Dish receivers, Directv Receivers,Roku etc. I am still waiting for that first HDMI failure, LMAO.

»www.pace.com/universal/support/p···SCvldUSM

Any silver colored DCT from Pace will eventually develop HDMI issues.

Review by scott_fender See Profile

• Location: Big Rock,Stewart,TN
Good "Nothing to put here."
Bad "Rude customer service, can't keep their appointment times, almost no service"
Overall "Once another provider becomes available, I will switch."

At first we had ordered a cable plus internet package. Every month, the bill would continue to climb. So we dropped the cable & kept internet. As it stands, I couldn't be more happier with my satellite provider.

A few years ago, we were trying to pay our bill online. Because someone typed in one wrong number, our service was cut. We got a warning in an email & was told we would have 2 weeks to pay the bill. The next day, when we were home from work, the internet had been cut off. We thought we had time, so after work the next day, we were going to rectify the problem. We didn't have the chance. Once we got with a customer service rep & the problem was figured out & paid over the phone, we were then told that we would get it hooked back up in 2 to 3 weeks. In the mean time, we had to pay that 2 to 3 weeks of no service.

About a year ago, we started having problems with service. It was in & out. Frequently. When we called about service, we were told that there was no problem. When we asked about the modem, we were told that it was still a good modem. Because of where we live, Mediacom is the only internet service provider for us. Recently the internet service has been on & off about every 30 minutes or less. I decided at this point to try to call again. I was first told that there was no problem. They continue asking, "Have you tried unplugging the device & plugging it back in"? Of course I have & it would only work about 15 minutes. So I called back, and back, and back. Finally they acknowledged that I had a problem & would send a tech out the next week. I sit here all day. Waiting. I missed one call from the tech & tried calling back. On the 4th attempt, I left a message. I wait for an hour past my time, then call customer service. One person did not want to deal with me & I was transferred to another. The customer service rep argued with me about the tech calling me back. She said he called 3 times. He did not. Not only was my appointment cancelled, now I have to wait until next week for a tech to come back out. My fees were waved for today, but am I still going to pay for unsatisfactory service until the tech comes next week? It is so frustrating for me to pay for internet service that is completely, utterly, unsatisfactory. Not to mention the rude customer service reps when I call. Mediacom does not believe the customer is right. It seems to me, as long as they have your payment, they don't have to provide any kind of service.

I am continually looking for any other provider in my area. I want to switch over as soon as one becomes available. Would even be proud if I could be the 1st customer in this area.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Hello scott_fender,

Thank you for contacting me here about the issues you are having. Just by what you are saying here, it looks like you have been through a lot with our service. I assure you this is not the level of service we expect any of our customers to experience. I will be happy to look into this issue for you from here and work towards resolving your issues so you are able to enjoy the services you are paying for. Can you send me an IM with your account or phone number?
scott_fender

Big Rock, TN

Re: Service

I tried to IM you my number. It said I had to wait 8 hrs. to IM you.

Re: Service

Did you just setup this profile on DSLreports? If so it typically makes you wait 8 hours before being able to private message someone. I'm not entirely sure why. Send the message over to me as soon as you can.
scott_fender

Big Rock, TN

Re: Service

I tried to IM you. I don't know if it went through or not. I'm new to this site, so I'm still figuring these features out.

Re: Service

Scott_Fender, thank you for letting me help you. I am glad we were able to resolve this and if you have any other problems going forward please let me know!