Mediacom page on DSLReports

Review by motoman See Profile

• Location: Auburn,De Kalb,IN
Good "It's fixed and works as should"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "No contract pricing is good"

Finally, hell has frozen over and MC has fixed the 2.5 years of frustration in my neck of the woods.

Very pleased at this time, the quality of service for internet and phone is back to the way it was a few years back.
The TV will always be sub-par compared to DTV/Dish

Update: 11/10/11
The issues with tech support are being addressed in my area, in fact they are doing a very good job now!

Update: 4/14/12
Back to the same crap once again. This time they simply refuse to care.
It has been well over 2 months now and I get the drift that they are done at this point.
No bother from the local office in even putting a effort into getting the service fixed.
I can not speak lower of this company!

Update: 5/30/12
The uncaring attitude from this company is beyond anything one could compare it to.
Not one call or a single attempt to rectify the problems since April. Nothing at all, it is as if they are telling me to bend over and take it. They simply do not care.
I'm done with this sorry excuse of a company. Returned all equipment for good.

Update: 6/26/13
I was talked into giving MC another chance, so far I'm glad I did.
The net and TV issues from before seem to have been resolved in my area.

Update: 8/16/13
Had 50/5 installed today. All I can say is it's fantastic. MC has resolved all issues in my area.
Mediacom Chad is worth way more than anyone could imagine. There were a few bumps in the road with communications on all fronts. Chad stepped in and cleared up the situation.
I'm more than pleased with the service they provide!

Update: 5/13/14
It's been almost a year since I came back to MC. I have to say they are on the ball around here now.
I have seen maintenance trucks more than ever. I asked one of the guys if there was something wrong. He told me he was doing sweeps around the area to improve the network.
He even asked me if I had any questions or concerns with my connection.
I like the way this is heading. It appears they are hiring quality employees now.

member for 9 years, 1490 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

MediacomChad

Newest update

That's great to hear! I'm glad everything has been working well for you and if you need anything else don't hesitate to contact me here on DSL Reports.

Review by GrfxGawd See Profile

• Location: Springfield,Greene,MO
Good "Fast speeds"
Bad "Slow problem resolution, if any."
Overall "Like a disposable lighter, if it stops working, get a different one."

I've used Mediacom off and on for around 15+ years. Since they have offered broadband I've been a customer at least three times. Every time, at least once a year, I spend a minimum of one week arguing with them over service issues. Sometimes it's taken as long as 2 1/2 weeks to finally get the issue resolved.

This time we're into Six Months, and it's gone from intermittent outages, to dead, to back screaming fast but with 6% packet loss and 40+% jitter, to now we can't quite seem to "find" the modem. And it's still 6% packet loss. If you can run a connectivity test, it's about 7Mbps down and 3Mbps up with the previously mentioned 6% packet loss, but now with only 18% jitter!

We've hosted more than six techs in our home, the rep that works the boards here has spent a great many hours working with me, but except for when it went completely dead it seems that every fix has actually made it worse.

Only once has anyone offered credit for loss of service and the following month our rates increased, and then increased once again the month after that. We are now paying 25% more than when we first signed up.

I've worked for ISPs myself back in the day, and I swear I never had to work this hard to resolve a connection issue even with the old 56K modems and questionable phone line conditions. I've spent about as much time trying to get the issue resolved as I have using the connection it seems. They also cripple the modem interface with their own custom interface created to "make it simple" to manage your network that gets in your way, obfuscates the needed information to understand problems, and flat removes important functionality like being able to create a DMZ for a device. And all this lives behind WalledGarden, a "gated firewall" system Mediacom implements. All in all it feels like someone has come into my home and strung a wall of barbed wire around my Internet connection.

We have two choices where I live. AT&T or Mediacom. AT&T is overpriced and slow. Mediacom doesn't seem to "get" Internet and/or lacks some crucial element in the service chain to be able to address connectivity issues. Just my observations after being a customer of both over the last 20 years.

Update - 3/18/2015

After spending a lot of time with a rep here on the forums we got an escalation tech out.

The short of it, right now the line is awesome »[Cable Speed test: 113.22/12.21 15 ms]

If it stays this way, I'll change my ratings appropriately.

My thanks to the individual working the forums and a special thank you to the escalation tech!

member for 68 days, 46 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MediacomChad

Mediacom Review

Hi GrfxGawd See Profile, thanks for reviewing us. I hate to hear you are having these issues and I show we have been working to get these fixed with you. I do show our area management team is reviewing your connection and area again to make sure we haven't missed anything that would cause a problem on your connection. I will continue to work with you in private to make sure this gets taken care of.

We do utilize a walled garden interface to make sure modems are properly provisioned and authorized to connect on your account. This is important to make sure we do not have modems that should not be connecting to the network consuming data. We do offer wireless modem/router combos that have our own interface that replaces the default modem interface. This allows us better remote connection to help customers troubleshoot issues and manage their network away from home. While this does limit certain features, for a majority of our customers they do not need the features and prefer the simplicity. We understand this is not for everyone, and the advanced user like yourself would probably be better suited using your own modem and router.

We will continue to work with you to make sure this gets resolved!
»support.mediacomcable.com/
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Re: Mediacom Review

You know Chad, just the fact that you guys actually give a **** about our posts on here means enough for me to switch to you guys when we can. Just cut the caps.

Review by RezzIA See Profile

• Location: Bettendorf,Scott,IA
Good "When it's working, it works good."
Bad "Constant internet outages and signals dropping at night. "
Overall "Poor service since March 2014 and no explanations from Mediacom. "

Internet is slow, drops the signal constantly, and often times suffers from complete outages during the late night hours. There is constant high latency and frequent disconnects when trying to game online or stream videos.

The odd thing is, this only happens at night during very specific time frames, yet customer service insists the problem is on my end. If the problem is on my end, why does the internet work flawlessly during the day? If the problem was on my end, logic dictates that the issue would be persistent both day and night, but as it stands, these outages only occur at night. This leads me to believe it's an area issue that is not being taken seriously or even investigated.

We've had techs out to the house, new modem, and even had the line replaced and the issues have been persistent ever since March 2014 (when the issues started). I've been working with the Mediacom customer support agent here on dslreports, and still the issue persists with no end in sight. 2-3 nights a week my internet is completely unusable and nobody has any explanations. Unacceptable.

Overall I am not satisfied with my Mediacom internet service, and I do not recommend this service to anyone. If you have a choice of provider, I would shop around and avoid Mediacom. Sadly, Mediacom is the only cable ISP that services my area so I am stuck with them for now.

*** UPDATE (3.08.15) - Through December and January, the internet was actually pretty good. No major problems, and I thought Mediacom finally got their act together in this area. I was wrong. A few weeks ago, starting in mid February the problems began again... and haven't stopped since.

The area is way over utilization so the internet is unreliable and spotty between 3pm and 12am every single day. During this peak usage time, there is constant latency in online games, major lag (3-4x above normal), and frequent disconnections from online services such as Skype.

Normally, Mediacom would just ignore problems for years and make up excuses, but there may be some competition coming to the area, so they assured me they will be fixing it soon. We'll see. If the new ISP does come to town, we will most likely be switching as soon as it's available as we continue to be very upset with the current level of service.

member for 1 year, 245 visits, last login: 6 days ago

Comments:

MediacomChad

Support

RezzaIA (MMOloser),

I can understand you frustration with the service issues you have been having, including but not limited to the maintenance that we perform in the early morning hours. I assure you it was not my intention to mislead you in any way. Our Social Media Team, myself included, are here to assist our customers so they do not have to call and wait on hold for a prolonged amount of time.

I have went back through our conversations here, as well as the ones you have had with our Twitter support and I can see that we have offered to assist you with any service issues you have had, but thus far we have not been given any account information in order to do so. You mentioned here in this review that you are having service issues including slow and intermittent service. We would hate to lose you as a customer and we (Our Social Media Team) will more than happy to look into the issues you are having from here and work to address them accordingly.

If you would like to get the issues you are having addressed, feel free to send me an IM with your account or phone number, or provide the information to our Twitter support.
»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSuppor ··· Support/
RezzIA

join:2014-03-28

Re: Support

Haven't reached out to customer support? Really? That's odd since I'm on the telephone with them at least 3x a week and have had several techs out to the house in the last year trying to get this problem fixed to no avail.

Finally one of the techs admitted it wasn't a problem with my equipment. He said the area was waaaaay over capacity and that's why everyone was having connection issues.

Not to mention you and some other support agents were sending me to the blatantly wrong URL to check for local maintenance (which has, at least, been resolved now thanks to your honesty).

Chad, I respect your ability to help and I think you deserve to work for a much better company, but sometimes you have to realize that Mediacom is the lowest rated consumer ISP for a reason.

Us customers don't just make this stuff up to spite you. The service is poor and the support is even worse.

The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in most cases with you guys.
Expand your moderator at work
thurst0n

join:2011-06-19
Johnston, IA

Re: Support

Rezz - Chad can't see your conversation with customer support on the phone if you never provided him with your account # on DSL Reports.

Review by UHF See Profile

• Location: Independence,Buchanan,IA
Good "Fast, reliable"
Bad "No pricing information on their website"
Overall "It's fast"

·Callcentric
·Dish Network
Smooth sailing so far. There's been two outages, both fiber cuts that also affected other providers in my area, so not Mediacom's fault. I'm generally able to get the advertised speeds, or very close to it. My cap is 2000GB

member for 12.8 years, 5492 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MediacomChad

Great to hear!

I'm happy to hear everything is working for you. If you ever have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me here.

your name

@mchsi.com

not Mediacom's fault?

"not Mediacom's fault" ? That's what they've been saying to my family for YEARS...

They FORCE you to call for service trouble over and over again and THEY CHARGE YOU EVERY SINGLE TIME and say "it's not Mediacom's fault" as OFTEN as they can, because whenever they don't 'find' a problem at your house, they BILL YOU $100 every time they come out.

Anonymous
join:2004-06-01
IA

Re: not Mediacom's fault?

The service fee is $25 and it's not charged every time.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

Review by Pylor See Profile

• Location: Bettendorf,Scott,IA
Good "Help via the broadband forums and the forum rep MediaComChad"
Bad "Phone talk with techs who don't seem to know their jobs"
Overall "Once repairs were made and I took it upon myself to research and apply solutions, service has been solid."

My initial package was Internet only, at 25/2 and cost 74.95/month, using my existing Motorola cable modem. That was upgraded to 50/5 after talking with MediaComChad. I had a problem with frequent disconnects. MediaCom tech came out and pulled a new line from the pole to my house that greatly improved my signal but didn't do away with the T3/T4 modem resets. It took lengthy research on many different forums to find that there was a known problem with Motorola Surfboard modems and timeout resets, so I purchased a Zoom modem that was touted to not have that problem. Since doing so, I have had very solid service. Last month (February 2015) I called the 800 # for information on possible upgrade to the 100/20 package and was surprised to be offered that level for $65/month for one year, followed by an increase to $70/month thereafter. I'm now getting consistent 90/20 except for occasional problems with the Geneseo, IL MediaCom server. (They drop to 5Mb download every month or two for reasons unknown to me, perhaps during nighttime maintenance.)

Overall, my experiences with MediaCom have been positive and interactions with Chad and visiting techs even more so.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Mediacom Review

Hey there Pylor, thanks for posting a review! I'm glad to hear that things have been spot on, though I can definitely lend a hand whenever needed. If you notice any more random and intermittent drops in speeds, just let me know and I can see if we can pinpoint any kind of cause for that.

Review by CappinHoff See Profile

• Location: Des Moines,Polk,IA
Good "Good speeds and even an increase in upload."
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "Good deals if you talk to the right people."

Updated **2/20/15**

Just got a new package that went from Prime to Prime Plus or 15/1 to 50/5 for. Included a DVR as well as the three services. For $60 less than the current bill.

member for 8.2 years, 1172 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Maitri

join:2012-09-16
Springfield, MO

Modems

The modems do that because Mediacom is too cheap to buy new ones. They just refurbish old models that others return and reuse them. Welcome to the cheap side of the Internet!

Re: Modems

They don't buy them anyways. They lease them. So that's a little different. Since it's a phone modem anyways, there isn't much of a selection.

Tars

@mchsi.com

Re: Modems

They also DISABLE most of the features on their equipment before giving it to their customers... MEaning, their boxes are CRIPPLED if you are electronically literate...

**5/17/13** review update

**5/17/13**
So the same issue is still there, the modem. Everything else works great. Just the disconnecting of the modem under load. Signals are fine.

From what I gather the phone modem can't handle high bandwidth usage. Since I game and stream with netflix and other various online services it just can't handle it. Resolution..... get another modem dedicated solely for the net.

It's ridiculous that I have to do this at my expense. They need to get better modems that can withstand high bandwidth usage.

Re: **5/17/13** review update

I do apologize you're still having this issue. I would like to try and get this taken care of for you. Please private message me.

Re: **5/17/13** review update

It's not your fault. I blame RCA in reality.

Irritated and unhappy

Very long time customer that was very happy with service until September when the unneeded data caps were instituted to all customers.

Not really understanding why customers that had previous accounts got lumped into the data caps? We were told we'd be unlimited since we had accounts from before. Then out of no where that changed. I've heard and seen the reasons, but let's be honest it's not about lack of bandwidth. Since it's been stated that only %3 of accounts actually go above the allotted cap. Why should customers in good standing and long time customers be forced into something unnecessary?

I know I'll be told to upgrade to a bigger package, but that means paying more for something I and others should have to pay for. It's not really fair to customers who have been overly loyal to a company that shows little loyalty, only thinking about the $$$.

Something needs to change and it needs to change fast. Many were happy with being grandfathered into the caps since you had an account before a certain date you retained your unlimited cap, but now it's not that way and people are unhappy.

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero

join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN

Re: Irritated and unhappy

Sadly, this is becoming a trend with ISPs, and it sucks. We all know this is a "because we can" thing and has nothing to do with bandwidth, but an easy way to grab extra cash from people who they feel are "abusing" the network. I'm sure they're also using this to keep us on CATV. Of course, being known as a rural provider, they know that most of us have limited or no other choices. Maybe we should all move to an area that uses fiber (Google!)

Re: Irritated and unhappy

The big clincher here is only %3 of all the Data customers ever go over that limit. On top of that Mediacom is one the highest grossing ISP's. As for google, they have caps(soft), and they are instituting hard caps soon. I think eventually Mediacom will redact their caps just like Comcast did.

Better than last update

Things are working flawless with the occasional hiccup but it's fixed rather quickly. Only thing still bugging me is the unneeded caps. I wish MC would have thought about long time subscribers rather than their bottom line. 20+ year subscriber and put into caps isn't how you go about things.

Review by Klarth See Profile

• Location: Oronogo,Jasper,MO
Good "Speeds are what they should be when service is up"
Bad "High percentage downtime, offensively bad phone support"
Overall "If you have another viable option, take it"

What can be said about MediaCom that hasn't been said already? I've been a customer for nearly two years now after moving to Joplin, MO. Despite all the great help given on these boards by MediacomChad, I just can't get behind this company. The installation process was fine, but from the moment service started I was plagued by latency issues. Fortunately it was a signal issue that a technician was able to get corrected in a couple weeks time. From there things were still not as fast as my old cable ISP (Cox in Arkansas), but I could live with it, and it was a fair price given the first year promo pricing.

All that changed after the tragic tornado that hit the area on May 22. I had to call just to get a credit on my account for the 3 weeks that service was out, when you'd think they'd have taken care of that given the graveness of the disaster. After the three weeks and service was restored, I found that the speeds were much worse than before, to the point of being teeth-gnashingly slow at night. But, given the situation, there were much more important things to worry about and I was still in the one year pricing, so I let it go and just decided to be patient, despite things I enjoy like video-conferencing with family or occasional online gaming was no longer an option after 6pm, which is the only time I'm at home to use it anyway. Well now we're 9 months later, and nothing has improved. Calls to tech support have been futile. They once sent out a technician who blamed the speed problem on having two routers bridged together (spoiler alert: he was wrong). I try to be patient and understanding, but the price of service has now spiked up (around $100/month for TV/12mbps), and service outages are becoming more random and frequent. Occasionally I am given credits on my account when I call to complain, but not enough to make it even close to being worth the cost of this service.

I really want to give this company a chance, but even the employees who frequent these forums have to realize how frustrating it can be to come home after a long day just wanting to visit with relatives over Skype or watch a YouTube video, only to find that the cable is out and you have yet another letter in your mailbox begging you to switch to MediaCom's phone service. Oh, and the MediaCom apologist trolls that lurk around these forums. Those suck.

All that said, if you have the service and it works up to speeds advertised, it's worth the money. If you have a problem, you may be in for a world of hurt. They aren't an evil company--no more than other Internet providers, but they could be so much more if they invested a bit more money in infrastructure to make their customers a bit happier.

On the plus side, in the 30 minutes it took to write and proofread this review, my 10 minute YouTube video finally finished buffering.

Update 2/26/2012:

After missing a few "fix" dates, the Joplin area was switched over to new fiber and it looks like the situation is finally resolved as connection speeds are stable at all hours. I will keep updating this review as time passes. Building back trust from the users in this area will be a gradual process, but I'm hopeful that things will remain stable into the future.

Update 2/29/2012:

And like that, it's gone back to Mediacom's same old tricks of unusable connection speed at nights. Apparently they have another "fix" scheduled in another month, and who knows how many more times that will be missed (again).

Update 6/3/2013

After over a year, Mediacom's service has improved. There's still an occasional frustrating outage every so often where you can't even call to complain because they shut off their phone system, but a couple messages to their social media team will usually get you account credit for the downtime. We are now looking at moving out of these apartments to another part of town. The Joplin metro area is carved into two cable fiefdoms, one run by Mediacom and the other by CableOne. With today's news that CableOne is taking a less aggressive tone with caps (and impressive speeds unlike MC), they are going to be a huge factor in where we relocate to. Right now I'm paying $120 for TV/12mps Internet, and I'm locked into this price since I'm on their grandfathered data plan. I'd love to move to their 50mbps plan with an adequate cap of 1tb, but nope, not available here.

Never thought I'd see the day when the ISP that brought us 50mbps service with a 50gb cap and 50cents/gb overages would be the superior option, but there you go...

Update 1/21/2014:

Well, we have moved to a new part of town in which Mediacom serviced every surrounding neighborhood but not the one where our new house was. After months of complaining (and begging the city to consider changing their franchise agreement to let a rival cable company move in), Mediacom does finally service the area. At least I think so... It has been down more than it's been up since the installation over a week and a half ago. First it was an issue at the pole, then it was a widespread outage, now a localized outage. Getting credits for the downtime is like pulling teeth sometimes and it's a fulltime job given the amount of outages. It would be nice if they would automatically credit accounts instead of assuming that everyone has an alternate method of contacting Mediacom to complain (as well as the free time to sit through the phone support routine). The last time I called into phone support during an outage, I have to sit through the asinine automatic troubleshooter (tip: if you scream "I want to speak to a live person" at it you can bypass most of the garbage, but it does make you look silly to anyone else in earshot). I then get through to a nice Indian woman whom I'm sure is really named "Barbara", who then was able to confirm that yes, indeed, my service is out after running through the usual ridiculous steps like rebooting computer and being asked to remove splitters. She arranges a technician to come out, after warning that if they can't find anything wrong I would be charged an additional fee. Charming. And as her pièce de résistance, she then subtly adds before ending the call that "I've noticed that you don't have phone service...". This ties into the next topic of deceptive and irritating marketing.

If you read some of the threads on the Mediacom forums you'll see that they just love sending junk mail through snail mail. Particularly letters that say "URGENT: RESPONSE REQUIRED", and when you open them up you get an official bill-looking document that in reality is just an advertisement for their phone service. That's pretty bush league, even for a company with no standards. Of course there is no way to opt out of this trash, and there's always a chance they really do send out an important document so you can't just shred it in the envelope. Clever, but bush league.

If you were thinking of getting their TV service compared to Dish or DirecTV, you've had enough to drink, please stop. Unless you are in an apartment or somewhere that you can't set up the dish, there is no reason to have to go through an additional layer of headaches with Mediacom for what has to be some of the most overpriced TV service I've ever seen. Their promo pricing isn't even worth it. Next..

The field techs aren't exactly the friendliest or most knowledgeable you'll see. At least the ones I deal with act like it's the last place they want to be, and as soon as their own tests show the service is "working", they are out the door. Even if the modem is offline again by the time they get past the block. The forum support is a different story. They are polite, especially if you protest on the official forums where many subscribers may be watching. I'm not sure if the different guys are truly different people since they always phrase things the same way. For example, there was an outage a few days ago, and when many people complained here and on their forums, the response is always worded the same way. Something like "you will be credited accordingly". Makes me think there's some sort of Mediacom employee reeducation camp or something. They are also bad about spewing talking points and other stats they can't back up, like their "97% of all users don't have problems with the new cash grab data caps" line. That said they will do their best to make you 'feel' better about whatever is wrong, and the only reason I didn't rank their tech support as being the worst.

In summary:

Pre-sales information: Two times now I have said I have my own modem, yet they 'accidentally' leave that $5 fee on the bill hoping I won't notice

Install coordination: Tech did show up in the time frame listed, but apparently didn't test anything seeing as I immediately had problems. Left an unburied line running in back yard that they will supposedly bury at some point before the end of time.

Connection reliability: Bad, bad, bad. How can one area have so many outages?

Tech support: "Would you like to purchase some non-functioning phone service to go with your non-functioning Internet?"

Services: Assuming just having Internet service and no viable alternatives in the area. Not the worst... Does not apply to TV/phone

Value for money: $55/month for first year, $65/month for second year. After that it jumps up to 95 and it's time to cancel and get new customer promo under different name. For 50mbps service, that's tolerable, assuming I put the time/effort into getting credits for all these outages...

Update 9/3/2014:

The year was mostly quiet but Mediacom found a way to screw things up. As everyone knows, a few months ago they rolled out speed updates. My plan is now 100/50mbps with a 999gb cash grab, which seems reasonable, but there's one fatal flaw. YouTube (and Netflix, allegedly since I don't use it) cannot stream at certain times of day. If it's 9 or 10pm in the evening and you make the mistake of wanting to watch a video with your Mediacom connection, get ready for 10 minutes of waiting to prebuffer a 144p video. I haven't been getting those irritating scammy snail mail letters trying to con me onto their phone service, so I can only assume they reallocated their marketing budget to get YouTube 'HD Verified' status. It doesn't mean a damn thing.

I'm currently in a new conflict with them as the area suffered a major outage about a week ago, and since then people from the entire area have been suffering unreliable service. You know how you can have co-workers who live 10 miles away but also use Mediacom and have the exact same symptoms as you (constant drops, modem restarts, slow speeds), yet Mediacom will stick to their "We don't see an area problem" line? What this means is you're in for a long period of terrible service and no resolution in sight. Sure, they scheduled a trouble call, with the soonest time being nearly a month away. Do they really think we can just be without service for a month (yet continue to keep paying them)?

The levels of incompetence are quickly on the rise. A few months ago I might have been ready to suggest them to friends (who were willing to take a small gamble) but now it's almost literally throwing your money away as you aren't getting service that you're paying for. Since the last time I had problems they also seemed to have gotten more stingy about handing out credits for service interruptions-- like we're just supposed to just accept it. I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing other than satellite as an alternative, but if you have another choice in a larger market, you would be remiss not to get it instead of Mediacom.

Update 1/23/2015

It's now been about 5 solid months of signal problems and random modem restarts. Complaining about this went absolutely nowhere. Every day it was "we'll escalate it to area management", and more excuses, and nothing happening. Today I decided to finally vent it out on their forums, pointing out that the delays were inexcusable and asking for credit for the downtime. The result of my efforts?

you are banned from using this forum!

Spam, rude posts, racial slurs the works

This ban is not set to expire.

I guess complaining about lack of service is considered spam by Mediacom, and questioning their competency may be rude, but oh well. And racial slurs? I guess I did mention that Commisso should keep sending checks to Republicans to keep Title II regulations from coming to cable companies lest his gravy train end, and that must be a slur in their eyes.

Oh, and yes, the outages keep on happening still.

Comments:

honestly

@comcast.net

Mediacom

There is so much I could say here, but there simply is not a enough time! I do realize that some of the techs don't do everything they should! However, they are forced to do more than they can handle! The have a really demanding job! Also, the turn over rate at Mediacom is unbelievable! I've have witnessed a lot of new employee's that come into Mediacom with high expectations, therefore giving their best effort to learn everything! But it seems like, after a year or so, they have lost their drive!... I could ramble for hours!
A lot of what the original poster has mentioned is the exact problems I have witness for years! I also witnessed these events in more ways than you could imagine! Faulty equipment! you could never believe the faulty equipment this company has had! But it's no surprise, considering for years they have used the same old equipment that the prior company was using!
As for earnings.. this company relies on huge marketing strategy to gain customers...so huge that they have now resorted to signing contracts! Matter of fact, they will do anything to make a dollar, weather they get it from the custom or even their own employee's!
Believe me when I say,for years I have witnessed their desperate measures to make more money! just a few examples would be, accusing their tech of losing equipment, then charging them (deducted from their checks) the fullest price. Most of which was returned, but the equipment return process was so messed up and goes through so many phases that in most cases it was misplaced! Once other instance, I have heard of techs trying to be honest with a customer, in return accused of "de-selling" by management! Matter of fact techs are force to sign a privacy waiver! Please try to use careful judgement while analysing the techs abilities. They are being paid by the same company that you pay your bill to. Therefore, they deal with issues of losing their wages or being forced to handle work loads that don't give each and every customer the service they deserve.
Outages! oh my! I'm not really sure why this happens so much, but the credit back to the customers is not worth the hassle! As the internet becomes more demanding, Mediacom should be forced to pay a bigger credit! And even if they did, the hassle to get one makes it feel unappreciated!

hoogityboo

@173.25.65.x

1 recommendation

I feel your pain, Mediacom is terrible around here.

I live in Alba, MO. About 5 minutes from Oronogo. We moved here almost 2 years ago and I have had the service techs out here for internet problems over 5 times. We have had issues at roughly the same time you have, according to your posts, especially since the last major outage two weeks ago. Since then, we have replaced EVERY major component of our cable system. We have a new cable running from their tap to a BRAND NEW two way splitter (one of which goes directly to the BRAND NEW DOCSIS 3.0 modem that I bought TWO DAYS AGO, and the other to a BRAND NEW three way splitter for our tvs.) I had a technician out here yesterday, and our end of the cable service is pristine. I hovered over him and watched all of his signal readings and he checked EVERYTHING from the line to the pole. OUR END IS PRISTINE. While he was here, I had him attach the cable on the pole as well (prior to that, is was just hanging from the splitter/amplifier at the top of the pole and could often be seen blowing in the wind) At the time when he left yesterday, My signal level was almost perfect. My upstream was about 45-46dBmV, My downstream was fluctuating between 0 and 1 dBmV. My SnR was about 37db. According to the research I've done (and believe me, since I've had Mediacom as my ISP I've learned more about cable signals than I care to know) those signal readings are damn near perfect. Then last night, the internet started acting up again (which I have been logging carefully). The upstream signal will suddenly shoot up to 58 (which is the equivalent of our modem screaming at the top of its lungs), our downstream signal loses about 3 to 4 dBmV and then the modem restarts. This has been happening REPEATEDLY and while the modem restarts quickly most of the time, last night, it wouldn't even come back on. Can't blame it on the Modem this time Mediacom, its two days old and their modem did the EXACT same thing.

I'm really growing tired of not getting reliable service and spending so much time on the phone or twitter with them. It costs me wages to be here for a technician that is NEVER going to fix the problem because A.) he doesn't know how cable works (this hurr meturr sez urrythens good) and B.) the problem is NOT at my home (if he even shows up at all). Mediacom has NO accountability. We waited two weeks for the technician to come out here. Now we have to wait three more weeks for another one to return. And I keep asking myself WHY does this company not just spend its money on better equipment, infrastructure, training for its technicians, or anything to help instead of MARKETING? It's corporate insanity at its finest.

I wonder how we can get them thrown out of Jasper county once and for all. I know things like this have been done before. Surely another Cable provider can move in and take over for them and do things even a little more competently.

Review by Riverpilot See Profile

• Location: U.S.A
Good "Good internet speeds, when it actually works."
Bad "Very inconsistent speeds. Poor maintenance. Poor company."
Overall "If you have another choice that offers the speeds you want, take it. RUN from mediacom."

I subscribe to the 150d/l 20u/l. U/l speeds are fine, pretty much 24/7.

Download speeds? lol... Normally during the daytime I'll get in the 120-150 speed. After 4:00? It drops down to 20-120. Zero consistency. Maintenance, et al.. have been at the home numerous times, replaced EVERYTHING from the pole, including the interior. Now, this was done 3 separate times in the span of 3 years. The result? Mediacom FINALLY admitted the fault was at their facility, and that they were looking into it.

The last 6 months have been horrible. Promises after promises... resulting in lies after lies.

Unfortunately my only other option is CenturyLink with their whopping 1.5d/l speeds. Yep... 1.5. Hence, technically Mediacom doesn't have a monopoly, but it's the next closest thing.

If you have the option of ANY other company that suits your needs speed wise, don't walk, RUN to that company.
I've never thought when moving, that I should look into internet providers, when considering where to live. Lesson learned. In the future, internet providers will weigh heavily on my decision on where to love.

member for 8.3 years, 766 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by MikeB_30 See Profile

• Location: Tipton,Cedar,IA
Good "pretty reliable"
Bad "cust service is not very good"
Overall "Reliable, but pricey."

Have cable tv & internet, very reliable for the most part. Customer support is severely lacking. It's too difficult to resolve issues and the communication from Mediacom is awful. If there was another option in my area I would probably consider switching.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Customer service concerns

Hello MikeB_30 See Profile,

I wanted to extend a warm welcome to you here on DSLReports and let you know that I am around for any questions/concerns as well as any service issues you may be experiencing. If you ever need anything you can send me a private message and I will be happy to look into it for you.

Review by kars85 See Profile

• Location: Ames,Story,IA
Good "Good Customer/Tech Support - it's helpful if you have at least some knowledge"
Overall "Give them a chance"

I have been an ultra high speed internet customer for almost 2 years. Go into any issues you're having with your service with an unbiased mindset and help them help you. Familiarize yourself, even if just a small amount, with the product you're buying and it will help facilitate support calls in a HUGE way. Understand, or ask before the installer leaves, some simple questions like what ping means and how to access read the logs of your modem.