Mediacom page on DSLReports

Review by bigt73 See Profile

• Location: Springfield,Greene,MO
Good "TV has been fine"
Bad "Internet speed not good at all"

I have been with mediacom for alittle while now and when I first got the service had alittle problem with the cable tv but they fixed that with no problem and at this point I had the 30mbps for the internet and everything was fine for the first few months then in the past month it went all bad with the internet, could not make calls off the wifi calling with our cell phones without it dropping calls and even on the computer the speed was bad, could not even watch videos without it having to buff every few mins. so the fist tech that came out said it was our speed was to slow so i got the 100mbps and yet still having problems with the speed going up and down so i made call after call after call..modem replaced 2 times, cables in and outside the home replaced, your office watching my service and not finding anything, techs in the field not finding anything and i keep getting told that this is going to be fixed. when!? i'm not happy when im told this will be fixed everytime i call but yet im calling in again and again and again over the samething every single time. now you tell me if you was in my shoes would you be happy if this is the service you was getting at your home? would you want to hear it would be fixed everytime you talked to someone on the phone but yet you have to call in again? and I just called in tonight and was told they are working on a outage in the area and thay cant trouble shoot anything till its back up but they can tell me that I have a pass due amount and we can take care of that now. are you kidding me! you are going to want me to take care of that now and yes I have the money for but yet you guys cant seem to fix my internet! now you tell me whats wrong with this picture?

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:

MediacomChad

Service

Hello bigt73,

I will be happy to look into the service issues you have been having here. Can you send me an IM with your account or phone number?

Review by RezzIA See Profile

• Location: Bettendorf,Scott,IA
Good "When it's working, it works great. "
Bad "Constant internet outages and signals dropping."
Overall "Would be out of business with any competition."

** Please note: this is an edited review to reflect my more recent experiences. I was having a lot of problems with Mediacom, which have been handled very professionally and quickly by their online support team. Therefore I am editing my review. **

We have cable TV and internet service with Mediacom. The TV service is fine. It hardly ever goes out and the channel selection is good. There will occasionally be the weird signal or distorted image, but this is pretty common with cable tv anyway, so it's not an issue. In fact, I've had very little problems with the TV service and would recommend it.

The internet, on the other hand, is really a hit or miss. When the internet is working, it works great with consistent speeds (especially after the recent upgrades in the area). However, there are still a LOT of problems with signals dropping, packet loss, and outages. This occurs several nights a week. Mediacom replaced our old modem but the issues persist. I have to reset my modem constantly. Some nights streaming videos and online gaming is downright impossible. My neighbors also report having the exact same issues, so I feel it's an area problem and not really my equipment. I've used other ISPs in the past (Time Warner, Comcast) and would definitely rate Mediacom as the lowest quality of the bunch.

The phone customer support is absolutely horrible. You can tell the call center workers are just reading from scripts. They are friendly and polite, but need much better training on how to troubleshoot issues. On the other hand, their online support team is amazing and great at troubleshooting problems and getting issues resolved. If you have an issue with any service, I would recommend trying their online support team via twitter or here on dslreports before contacting their phone tech support.

All the techs we've had come out to the house have been friendly and professional. No issues there.

Overall, Mediacom is really a mixed bag. It's hard to recommend them due to the really poor internet service. Having the internet connection constantly drop or become sluggish several times a week gets very tiring. I feel if there were any decent alternatives, most people would probably switch.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Support

RezzaIA (MMOloser),

I can understand you frustration with the service issues you have been having, including but not limited to the maintenance that we perform in the early morning hours. I assure you it was not my intention to mislead you in any way. Our Social Media Team, myself included, are here to assist our customers so they do not have to call and wait on hold for a prolonged amount of time.

I have went back through our conversations here, as well as the ones you have had with our Twitter support and I can see that we have offered to assist you with any service issues you have had, but thus far we have not been given any account information in order to do so. You mentioned here in this review that you are having service issues including slow and intermittent service. We would hate to lose you as a customer and we (Our Social Media Team) will more than happy to look into the issues you are having from here and work to address them accordingly.

If you would like to get the issues you are having addressed, feel free to send me an IM with your account or phone number, or provide the information to our Twitter support.
RezzIA

join:2014-03-28
·Mediacom

Re: Support

Haven't reached out to customer support? Really? That's odd since I'm on the telephone with them at least 3x a week and have had several techs out to the house in the last year trying to get this problem fixed to no avail.

Finally one of the techs admitted it wasn't a problem with my equipment. He said the area was waaaaay over capacity and that's why everyone was having connection issues.

Not to mention you and some other support agents were sending me to the blatantly wrong URL to check for local maintenance (which has, at least, been resolved now thanks to your honesty).

Chad, I respect your ability to help and I think you deserve to work for a much better company, but sometimes you have to realize that Mediacom is the lowest rated consumer ISP for a reason.

Us customers don't just make this stuff up to spite you. The service is poor and the support is even worse.

The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in most cases with you guys.
Expand your moderator at work
thurst0n

join:2011-06-19
Johnston, IA

Re: Support

Rezz - Chad can't see your conversation with customer support on the phone if you never provided him with your account # on DSL Reports.

Review by Dmnchild See Profile

• Location: Columbia,Boone,MO
Good "I get full speed on my Ultra100. Don't have downtime cept a few rare moments."
Bad "Tech support is a little shotty. Response time for support is undesirable."
Overall "For the most part I'm very happy with my speed and reliability."

Overall I am very happy with my service. I get the full speed of my ultra 50. I do have very very little downtime. But when I do, it's a pain to call in support. They have an automated system for non tech savy people that will just annoy people that know better. Lately when I've called I have had very hard times understanding the English when talking to support. My last call involved me talking to a manager after being given mis information on how long my service would be down. Their English was worse then the others. Guessing it is outsourced now. Luckily I don't have to call often at all.

Updated:

Still with mediacom and mostly happy still. Speeds are still legit, I do get all my bandwidth as advertised. I am now on the 100, waiting for my upgrade to the 150 plan. Little bit disappointed that our data cap is not increasing with the speed upgrade. Guess they just wanna make us hit our caps faster!

Speed Test:

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3642820303

Comments:

MediacomChad

Service.

I am glad that the service has been working for you. If you have any issues at all going forward, feel free to send me a message and I will do what I can to get any of your issues resolved in a timely manner.

Review by djbrettb0 See Profile

• Location: Ames,Story,IA
Good "Finally, Mediacom has comparable offerings to satellite."
Bad "Internet. I've bent over backwards to resolve peak speed issues, yet the company still seems to think it's my fault."
Overall "Mediacom isn't as bad as Comcast, Time Warner, etc., but they aren't perfect either."

In the Des Moines metro, Mediacom is the best because they do not encrypt regular HD cable channels. This enables HDHomeRun users like myself to enjoy our streams, which we pay for, without interference (digital encryption). Many of the channels they deliver to our homes are not rate shaped (re-encoded) at all, though some are. Still, while not as great as DirecTV in terms of picture quality, Mediacom provides an acceptable picture quality.

Internet, on the other hand, is great during the day. My full 100mbps. At night, I've seen speeds as low as 14mbps. I really hope Mediacom can resolve this issue.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Slow speeds

Hello djbrettb0 See Profile,

I've taken a look over your modem and I'm not really seeing an issue as to why you would experience such slow speeds at night. Utilization for your area spiked at about 85% 6 days ago but is primarily below 45% so that shouldn't be causing your issue. There is a slight upstream SNR issue for you and it looks to be an area problem. If you would like to further troubleshoot the speeds you can send me a private message when you're seeing these speed problems and I will further troubleshoot with you while it's happening.

Review by auburn314 See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Had Mediacom since Aug 2013. I still have do not have everyday all day service."
Overall "They cannot provide the sevices they are billing me for"

I have the 50 m/s package that pings at 40 m/s. I have their unlimited long distance phone and their cable with almost all channels. But I don't have all day service they just blink in and out through out the day aggravating very aggravating but then they want to bill you at full price. I wrote this review 3 times to get it to post

Comments:

Jaxon

@173.16.5.x

Horrible

Random disconnects, random slow speeds, and the connection is hardly on all day. Despite us contacting them for support multiple times and finally sending out a tech to take a look, it's is still garbage. The tech had no idea what he was talking about and just swapped out our router/modem hybrid (ridiculously complicated and unnecessary) claiming that it was all they provided. It's hard to not be so aggravated that I don't take into account our location causing their horrid service, which isn't a viable excuse for mediacom because we're not in the middle of nowhere, but it's getting ridiculous and even customer service acts as though they couldn't care any less. Alas, mediacom is the only service provider we can get around here, and they know that. And don't care.

Not even going to glorify them by capitalizing their company name. Not getting what we're paying for, horrible service. 0/10, wouldn't let my 80 year old great grandmother play online checkers with it.

I'm here to help

Hello, I do apologize for the inconvenience. That is not the quality of service that Mediacom wants to provide for our customers. I would be happy to look at this for you! Could you message me your account number or phone number?

cme

@50.76.152.x

Poor Service all around from Mediacom

7 Months have gone by with internet. phone and cable going out every month at times over a week. Modems, Cable boxes and new wiring have been done. It takes over a week to get service. I had an Internet On-line company that I had to shut down that had been in business for over 11 years. Everything possible has happened including leaving the box open for rain to get in. Bringing Modems that are broken and having wives drive in your drive way to talk to there husband while at your home. Having lived at different houses with Knology, Comcast and other providers. Mediacom is absolutely the worst all around. With promises to credit your bill that never happen and bringing in broken modems. Cutting your phone off when you have a three way bundle and telling you that you never signed up for a phone after been giving a phone number and trying to use the service for 7 months. I will be contacting the BBB,Chamber of Commerce, ripoff.com and all the new agencies, Governor, Mayor, congressmen, attorneys for fraudulent advertisement and Bill Boards posting this joke of a company.

Review by kspillane See Profile

• Location: Jefferson City,Cole,MO
Good "Fast speeds. I had 16 down 1 up. they offer faster speeds at higher prices."
Bad "No points of contact except call center. The call center agents are absoluetly incompetent."
Overall "I would only have it if the DSL speeds were unusable."

I have been a long time lurker on DSLreports, but finally made an account just for this review.

We have intermittent connections issue every so often. Now they use the Cisco integrated services modem routers and ever since I have had wireless problems intermittently too.

I have had Mediacom for many years and although I have had problems here and there I have kept it because of the high speeds. Now I work from home over the internet full time in the financial IT industry. Customer service is very important to me, it's a major part of my job. I expect to be treated the same way I treat people.

I am finally getting rid of Mediacom because I cannot suffer their call center agents' incompetence. today was day 6 without internet or phone for myself and the other person in our apartment building. when I called last week, it took them a bit to determine that I wasn't just being stupid about not having service. I mentioned that it was probably a line problem because the modems were working and it was affecting multiple people in our building. They sent out a tech several says later (the soonest they could get one) who after smoking sevral cigarettes agreed that it was an outside plant issue and that a maintence crew would be dispatched to fix. When I calle din later that day to see what the status was on the maintence job, the agent said she would call dispatch and call me right back.. Three hours later I calle back and they said it would be the next day before the maintenance crew was on-site. when I called back in the morning for a repair ETA, I was flatly told that the agent couldn't give me any info, when I asked for her to check with dispatch, she said she couldn't, and then that even if she could the maintenance crew does the jobs in whatever order they think is best. When I protested, I was hung up on.

That afternoon after the maintance crew made the repair, the supervisor of the crew said that he didn't know why it took so long for them to get the job, and that they have crews that are available on-call to make emergency repairs anytime.

Everything is working great again. However, this lack of customer service is absolutely unacceptable for me. These people need to seriously get a new call center operaitons manager, because the current one is asleep at the wheel. If I had displayed this level of drive and ineptitude in my job I would be fired without notice.

DSL is getting installed next week.

Comments:

MediacomChad

help

Hey kspillane See Profile I would hate to see you cancel your service. If you would like to PM me your telephone number or MAC address, I can work with the field to make sure this problem gets resolved. Me or my team is here seven days a week. So if you would prefer not dealing with the call center, feel free to contact me via DSL reports anytime you would like.

Review by vexion2007 See Profile

• Location: Semmes,Mobile,AL
Good "Good speeds"
Bad "Very lazy and unprofessional techs & support"

We've had Mediacom internet at our home for the past 5 or more years. We lived in a mobile home until recently we completed construction of our new home about 20 feet behind where the mobile home used to sit.

We called Mediacom immediately after construction was complete and power was turned on to the house. They said they would come migrate the service to the new location. Their first appointment was on July 3rd between 8 and 12 in the morning, no one ever showed up.... So, we called back and rescheduled for today, July 8th. the tech shows up 45 minutes late.

The tech shows up and immediately I'm put off by the way he acts. Though, I still show him the same respect and courtesy I would anyone else. He takes a look at what needs to be done and immediately starts looking for a way out of the job. He starts measuring the distance from the road, then comes to me and says we're 55 feet out of service range. I was startled that he resorted to something like this. This estimate is impossible as the new end point is literally less than 20 feet away from the old end point.... He called his supervisor and I over heard him saying he had another job to go to at 1PM, it's almost 1PM at this time... So, by that I was sure that he just wanted to get away and keep up the quota...

So I gave up on Mediacom. I loved the internet we had for those years we had it, but after this, we're going to ATT Uverse. However, in the mean time, I've ran a temporary coax cable from the old end point to our new house and hooked the internet up my-self. It took me about 15 minutes to do it.

Hopefully ATT will send out a professional crew to install our new services, not a lone unprofessional tech...

Comments:

MediacomChad

I'd love to help!

Hello,

Thank you for posting here. I assure you this is not the level of service we expect our customers to receive. Could you send me an IM with your account or phone #? I'll get this escalated over to the TOS (Technical Operations Supervisor) for further review. If needed, you can also email my team directly at SocialMediaTeam@mediacomcc.com

Thanks!

vexion2007_a

@208.60.60.x

Re: I'd love to help!

Unfortunately the deed is done. We have switched to AT&T Uverse.

The guy that came out and installed our service was very pleasant to work with. Given my own knowledge in low voltage stuff, I was able to help him and we got my house wired and setup exactly how I wanted. He knew what he was doing, and was ready to work. I was very impressed with his professionalism.

I understand that the product that mediacom provides is very nice, and it was very reliable where I lived. But due to the bad decisions by the tech and the mediacom support we spoke to after he left... we'd had enough.

Just another tidbit of info about that day mediacom showed up. The tech did do me a favor in that he put a connection end on the big coax coming from the road so that he could test the "signal strength". He said the "signal strength" was so low that internet wouldn't reach the house.

If the "signal strength" was too low to go 20 more feet, then how in the world was it strong enough to go through two segmented coax cables that where well over 10 years old, dry rotten and had spots that where almost certainly broken, but touching. I had 20Mb internet until the point where I asked the ATT guy to snip the coax that carried mediacom internet from the pole.

Anonymous
join:2004-06-01
IA

Re: I'd love to help!

The problem is Mediacom uses contractors for most installs. They are paid set prices depending on the job type (and services to be installed). These people decide if it's worth it or not and they will find an excuse to not to do it or do a half-assed job at best and they will tell you something like "I'll be back to finish it" etc and of course that never happens. Some of them would give their phone number to sub only to never answer the phone after they leave. And of course others would do a great job and be 100% professional.

Sometimes in house techs are overscheduled and they just want to be off on time and they will try to reduce their workload any way they can. Sometimes they just have a bad day. The fact is field techs can cut corners and it all depends on the personality of the tech who gets your job. Some are better than others. Also keep in mind Mediacom is a company that is extremely focused on profit and employees are usually paid less than the industry average.
I speak for myself, not my employer.
GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

Re: I'd love to help!

the big diffence is that ATT worker was union and paid well. Mediacom could careless about its employee's
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

the Media con.

You could always just bury the cable yourself since Mediacon is afraid to put in a honest days work. I'm guess that since you ran a temporary cable, it is working.

Don't put too much faith in At&T's internet service.

Review by macej2006 See Profile

• Location: Pontiac,Livingston,IL
Bad "I wouldn't buy or recommend this to anyone again."
Overall "bad account management."

They messed up my billing and charged me for a month I had already paid. They said I paid it then suddenly their story changed. You can't get customer service in store and you have to go to their 800 number where no one speaks very clearly, and they never help you solve your problems. I will not recommend this to anyone who needs reliable internet service as the internet service needs to be refreshed three times before an actual page will come up. I am also being charged for 12 tv channels I just found out come free with digital tv's. They have just completely ripped me off and I have only been with them for 6 months. Will be switching soon.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Billing issues

Hello,

I would be happy to look into these instances and make sure that everything on your account is setup correctly for you. Feel free to send me a private message with your account or phone number to get started.

Review by rgod55 See Profile

• Location: Coralville,Johnson,IA
Good "Great download speeds, good ping times."
Bad "None really."
Overall "Good value with their new tier. Loving their 100/10 service,Great service(from people on here), no real complaints."

Great download speeds since they bumped it up to 100mb/sec. I have the modem connected to my Netgear Nighthawk router, it is an awesome router. Their service is great for online gaming compared to my DSL line as the ping times are about 40-60ms better. Overall, with an even faster download speed and an increased upload speed, they are worth looking at.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Thank you!

Just wanted to reach out and say thank you for the review. It's always good to hear from someone that is receiving all services the way they should. If you ever do have any issues you can definitely contact me here and I will be happy to help.

Review by UHF See Profile

• Location: Independence,Buchanan,IA
Good "Fast, reliable"
Bad "No pricing information on their website"
Overall "It's fast"

·Callcentric
·Dish Network
Smooth sailing so far. There's been two outages, both fiber cuts that also affected other providers in my area, so not Mediacom's fault. I'm generally able to get the advertised speeds, or very close to it. I don't like caps, and I don't like contracts, but this beats the slow CenturyLink internet I had before.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Great to hear!

I'm happy to hear everything is working for you. If you ever have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me here.

your name

@mchsi.com

not Mediacom's fault?

"not Mediacom's fault" ? That's what they've been saying to my family for YEARS...

They FORCE you to call for service trouble over and over again and THEY CHARGE YOU EVERY SINGLE TIME and say "it's not Mediacom's fault" as OFTEN as they can, because whenever they don't 'find' a problem at your house, they BILL YOU $100 every time they come out.

Anonymous
join:2004-06-01
IA

Re: not Mediacom's fault?

The service fee is $25 and it's not charged every time.
I speak for myself, not my employer.