Mediacom page on DSLReports

Review by krypt08700 See Profile

• Location: Midwest
Good "Good Download Speeds"
Bad "Nothing major"
Overall "Average"

This is for residential internet service only.

Good download speeds, finally decent upload speeds (2ch upstream bonding)

Hardware: Motorola SB6141 (Customer Owned)
Provisioned Speed: 150/20M
Received Speed: 160/25M

»www.speedtest.net/result/3798551939.png

member for 11.3 years, 153 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few minutes ago

Comments:

MediacomChad

Service

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or service issues. I will be happy to assist you as best I can!

Markusmo

@50.81.100.x

-1 recommendation

Re: Service

I live in Hermann and are they going to fix the internet problem in the area ?

Review by KBFLOW See Profile

• Location: usa
Good "pc has properspeeds"
Bad "ps3 throttled ip address blacklist"
Overall "mediacon doesnt support ps3"

AOTHER WTF TOPIC WITH MEDIACON. lol. I have had many isp's through out the years dsl,cable and even satellite when i lived outside of city and have never had a game console throttled untill now.. i had mediacon in past for over 2 years before i could relocate to get away from there gangster services and ps3's got proper speeds its the overselling of there product (internet) that brought on PEAK HOURS AND DOWNTIME. AFTER 10-12 tech visits they finaly admited there servers ect cant keep up but first they wasted my time gobs and gobs of run around stories like its your ps3 well no its your modem well wait its your router oh you got us yes its on our end not that we care cause we got your money the whole time of terrible service and by the way that was profit we are net getting new equitment lol Sorry for inconvenience would you like to upgrade?LOL LOL. Anywho i now live in another city that only offers MEDIACON and FRONTIER and was told mediacom owns frontier though i tried frontier after 4 months of aroung 15mbps average i began to encounter kilobyte speeds due to overselling internet in my area and that server card upgrades are needed but not being done the tech claimed that on his 4th or 5th visiT. So i called only other isp available unfortunately its MEDIACON however they claim better speeds at new address 50 down and 7up 80$ something a month internet only lol. I took the package and upon my paid install i got a whopping 7d and 2up with cat6 ethernet straight to modem. same results through router(MY OWN MOTOROLA EXSTREME MODEM AND NETGEAR ROUTER) these are the results on ps3 brwser at speedtest.net ect ps3 speedtest IS ACURATE IT ALWAYS MATCHES. However laptops ect will pull the 50d just not ps3 i now have 2 more ps3's that i have hooked up same results. webtools are telling me ports like 80,5223 ect are closed even on laptop also isp has blacklis issues concerning ip address that i get from mediacon i was able to remove 1 out of two blacklist programs but the other has to be removed by mediacon and of course they claim they do not throttle or filter and that its all SONYS fault. lol The best i can do is change the primary and secondary dns on ps3 to open witch barely helped and yes i have dmz hosted portforwarded and even upn and port triggering hell ps3 cat6 straight to modem 7d and 2up. Of course they sent tech out for 4th time in about 4 months to fix signal issues cause it looks off i told them pc is fine so the SIGNAL IS FINE so dont send a tech to my house to fiddle with his thumbs again, i told them on recorded phone call that i wont pay for visit they said no problem then tech showed up refused to llook at closed ports, blacklist data ect and told me i will be billed for visit lol BUMS TRIED TO

AFTER SOME MORE BICKERING bill was waived. At this point they are as usefull as a turd in a punch bowl. They took 20$ off my monthly bill BUT I STILL DONT GET WHAT MEDIACON ADVERTISES HIGH SPEED GAMING YA OK SURE WHEN ITS NOT BEING FILTERD OR THROTTLED. MY MOVIE WEBSITES PLAY 3 second of video then stop for three seconds pc will play them fine lol PS3 always did ok when bandwith was available now i have 5 times the band with needed and it plays movies for 3 seconds and stops and im using maybe a tenth of my speed for online gaming THANKS MEDIACON FOR RENDERING ALL 3 OF MY PS3" AS USELESS.. GOOD THING IM NOT ON DISSABILITY AND DONT NEED HOME ENTERTAINMENT LOL YOU CANT FIX STUPID. BOTTOME LINE MEDIACON CANT BE TRUSTED OR THERE SCRIPT READING SO CALLED WORKERS 5 years 4 internet providers with ps3's and never had this problem. NO XBOX1 or PS4 untill MEDIACON CLEANS UP THERE ACT greedy^&^^^%# i will probably have to move from the house i own so i can use ps3's

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week
lodged a few hours ago

Comments:
InterceptorX

join:2009-08-23
Streator, IL

My PS3 works just fine.

My PS3 works just fine.

Review by SomeDude See Profile

Good "I was with this company for 8 years. They weren't ALWAYS the worst company to work with."
Bad "CAPS. CAPS. CAPS. Their Customer Service is probably the worst that I've ever dealt with. Did I mention the CAPS?"
Overall "Stay away if you can."

Starting from the very beginning - Even though I asked the installer to bring the cable in upstairs, he decided it suited him better to simply drill a hole directly through the wall of my living room and screw the device plate down with some sheetrock screws. You know, the RIGHT way to do things. Since I didn't want the modem there, I ran coax inside my house to the spot I did want it. This ended up being a long run of coax, which lead to connection problems over the next half year or so. After several calls they sent out a tech who would only fix the problem by putting the modem back in the living room and not rerouting the coax where I wanted it in the first place. When he left I ripped it out of the wall and finally installed it where I wanted it. I had no problems for a few years after that.

Sometime in 2009 my modem kept dropping out. After a few dozen "Please unplug your router for 30 seconds" calls (where they think they fix the problem forever because it's working again for 60 seconds) they finally sent out a tech who I had to beg to replace the modem. He claimed that it wouldn't help the problem, but it did. I didn't have another problem until 2011 when it was internet & TV. They couldn't get a tech out for about a week to check out the problem, so I borrowed the bucket truck from my employer at the time and temporarily fixed it by replacing a bad F connector. A few days later the tech came out and replaced it to Mediacom standards.

In 2012 I took a break from cable and only had internet through Mediacom. I also replaced my Mediacom modem with one I bought, saving me a few more dollars a month. The internet gets painfully slow some evenings, but your choices are get used to it or call Tech support.....and you NEVER want to have to call Mediacom unless you have to. They are always "experiencing larger than normal call volume" - even at 2am. On the plus side if you're a poor college student with a lot of time between paychecks, Mediacom will usually let your bill slide for a month or so without disconnecting you.

Last October Mediacom decided to make a grab for their customer's wallets by enforcing data caps. Which basically means that now you get to concern yourself with worrying about things like what happens if your computer gets hit with malware that uses up your precious data. I talked to many, many reps about my feelings on this issue and while a few pretended to care, most took the position that there was nothing that could be done. Some reps even told me that if I didn't like it I should just change my service.

Anyway, there is a long post on the forum about my issues on that topic titled "Repeatedly blown off by Mediacom CS". If you're interested look it up so I don't have to write it all again here.

I decided to leave Mediacom after the way they handled the cap issue. When I did, the rep argued with me that all ISPs have caps and she has two friends who use my new ISP and they get overages ALL THE TIME. When I told her I made sure that wasn't true and told her to mind her own business she hung up on me. Classy 'till the very end.

In summary, if you're willing to put up with a data caps, speeds that vary greatly by time of day, and terrible customer service - all for higher than average prices - Mediacom might be the ISP you've been looking for.

member for 21 days, 5 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:
KBFLOW

join:2014-09-30
usa

FILTERING/THROTTLING

Day 1 of MEDIACON internet install that only took 15mnts to install and cost pretty penny all of my ps3 gaming consoles hardwired through cat 6 ethernet get 7down 2 up on a 50d and 7up package. I paid for install this time cause i know not to trust MEDIACON from prior years of TERRIBLE DOWNTIME SERVICE THAT THEY BOLDLY CALLED HIGHSPEED and i wanted a guarante that this package works the way its suppost to and of course the very second it was installed all of sudden ps3's are some how controled or filtered or throttled down to 7d out of 50. lol EVEN STRAIGHT TO MODEM SPEEDS ARE IDENTICAL. of course laptops cell phones will pull and show around 50 down but not any of 3 ps3 consoles that i have. MYTOOLBOX.com shows ports 80,5223 ect are close and that isp has 2 blacklist programs running on my ip address from MEDIACON. I was able to remove 1 of the smamhoss program but the other has to be removed by MEDIACON and of course they wont.lol i have new equitment that ibought 2 differant times with realy no changes vrs MEDIACON modem/router.THERE IS SO MUCH MORE I COULD SAY BUT I WILL ADVISE EVERYONE TO AVOID MEDIACOM THE WAY THEY AVOID REAL WORLD TROUBLESHOOTING.

Review by wpbear See Profile

• Location: Cataula,Harris,GA
Good "Only Provider Available"
Bad "Horrible Customer Service, Price and Copyright Policy"
Overall "Find something else if available"

At first very fast, then was over subscribed and got REALLY SLOW speeds and REALLY BAD customer service. Finally got fixed when area was upgraded but again bad customer support. Only good service is MediacommCHAD on this forum....and he is REALLY GOOD!

Copyright policy is 3-strikes and the turn it off FOREVER and no way to fight it.

Also price is HIGH. 12/1 is $60/month; 20/2 is $75/month and 50/5 is $95/month. DSL would be much cheaper at $20 if ATT served my house.

EDIT: 17 Feb 2013 - Slow speeds again. Speeds are down 30-60% from subscribed package. Setting up an appointment was the only part that went smoothly. The tech never showed up. When I called Mediacomm to ask what happened I was told they can't find me as a customer and to call a different number. I call the other number and the automated line tells me I am scheduled from 8-5pm; take note the time is now 515pm. Finally I get a live operator who tells me I am scheduled for anytime which could be 8-8pm. My question then is why have two real people and two automated machines tell me 8-5pm.

Also to update the review that now my intro price is over I will be paying over $125 a month for 50 down and 5 up (ultra package) if I have my own modem.

EDIT: 12 SEP 2014 - Not Reliable Speed. Package has been auto upgraded by Mediacom for "free" to 150 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. I supposedly pay for the 50/5 price package and pay $75/month for only internet. Speeds at night are not consistent but will max at 40/6. But during the day I can see speeds at 80/12. But I am assured it is not the Mediacom network, either local or backbone and I am told to only run speed tests direct to my modem and still get the same results. Mediacom is a continuous hassle! But no other choice. MONOPOLY!

EDIT: 19 Sep 2014- WORST TECH SUPPORT EVER:

The tech finally came to fix my slow service.

The tech called me at 630pm for an appt window of 5-7 pm and tried to get out of coming to the house and said he would have someone monitor my line for speeds. This was unacceptable and I told him to come to my house. The tech tried to bully me into not coming so he could get off work early.

We he arrived he sat in his truck for 10 mins on his cell phone and then spent 5 minutes running speed tests and pinged Google from my PC.

He didn't even touch his tools, any equipment, my house box, or the modem.

The speed test he ran is this:

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3773034225

I am provisioned for 150 down and 20 up.

He says he will put a maintenance request in and left. Mediacom wasted my time rushing home for work for nothing.

EDIT 27 Sep 2014:

Mediacom fixed my line issue by adjusting the power levels. BUT they are again having a utilization issue during peak hours and they will not admit it. It is like they are a drug addict and admitting they have a problem is too hard for them to take the first step.

Even worse is the one good part of Mediacom was "MediacomChad" for tech support on this forum. That "user" seems to no longer be the same person or even "one" person. All instant messages between this user has been fragmented and incoherent. Some canned responses, and others that are also lost in a conversation as if more than one person logs into the account and tried to complete for another representative where they had left off from another shift.

Mediacom is TRASH!

member for 3.6 years, 629 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Robert Cox

@sbcglobal.net

Worst service I have ever experienced

Absolutely the worst customer service I have ever encountered in any industry. They install, internet works for an hour then bottoms out to less than DSL speed. I call and I'm told they will come out tomorrow meaning another day off work for which I will not be paid. When I ask to speak with a supervisor I am told I don't qualify to speak to one. Never heard such crap ever!!

They fix it tomorrow or give me my money back and I'll be looking for anyone interested in filing a class action suit based on consumer fraud.

Review

Thank you for the kind words. I would be happy to look over your account to see if there are any promotions available for you.
kbrackley

join:2002-12-07
Springfield, MO

Not sure what is going on here

I had mc cable installed for about a month now and no complaints. I leave town for two days and come home to find my 20/1.5 working oddly at 3 down and 2.69 up.

Several speedtests later, and removing my router and connecting a laptop directly to the mc modem I get similar results...3 or 4 down and 2 to 3 up.

called tech support and I'm told I have to wait for 5 days to get anyone to check this out...they say "everything is fine...80% of what I'm supposed to have..." but even with a single laptop directly connected I get the same results.

I can't work from home this way and if its not fixed will consider this a breach of contract and move back to AT&T.
brantman

join:2014-08-14
Fortson, GA
·AT&T Southeast

It Could Be Worse

I can't necessarily speak on the speeds that Mediacom has now and I am sure that my experience from 6 years ago isn't relevant but it irks me to hear about the bad customer service there and how the grass is so much greener at other companies in the area. As someone who used to have Mediacom in Columbus and can only get AT&T now (moved to Fortson), the grass is certainly not greener. Not to rag on another company in your review but Mediacom is way better than AT&T and it's options. We are talking anywhere from 6 to 30+ times better in some cases. On a good day AT&T will get you 1.5 Mbps of the 3 you are set up for and an upload at .3 Mbps. So before you freak out about the customer service and "slow speeds," you should know what the other options are really like. Cable outclasses phone line supported DSL. Oh and the Uverse thing won't live up to the hype. The max speed will be 18 Mbps and will more than like stay about 12 until they max the system and it goes down to 6-8 Mbps. Sorry for the spiel but I would hate to see someone make a mistake because they think they can get better when that isn't the truth.

NateStew

@173.30.54.x

Agree with all of the above

This review lays out everything that Mediacom is about. They monopolize areas and they know it because they treat you as such. All it would take is one company to move into Des Moines and people would flock away from Mediacom.

I went through the same tech issues. No call no show multiple times by techs. Each time my appointment was rescheduled to a date without even a phone call to see if I was available that date.

If you are happy with Mediacom now, I assure you, it will only be a matter of time before you are not.

I will say that after 5 calls to figure out what happened with my appointment, I finally got an associate who gave me my month of service free. Still no appointment though, they are just going to mail me the hardware so I can install myself.

One word for Mediacom, TERRIBLE!

Hopefully Verizon FIOS comes to the area soon. I would be more than happy to pay the contract cancellation fee to never have to deal with Mediacom another day.

Review by Technicholas See Profile

• Location: Winterset,Madison,IA
Good "150 MB Down and 20 MB Up"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "150 MB Down and 20 MB Up is great"

I used to have Centurylink service 12mb/896kb since 2002 I moved into a area that had Mediacom and Centurylink could only offer me 7mb/896kb I signed up for the 105mb download and 10mb upload and love it, MediacomChad helped me through the process and I appreciate him for helping me through the install process and making sure everything looked good before after the install. I get around 105mbps-120mbps on average download, and 10-15mbps on the upload no slowdowns etc. They provided a Thompson modem. I am finally glad to get off DSL and on to something that is fast and doesn't lag when I get all my devices on the service.

Service has went downhill use to be great

1/2/13 Update : Not getting the speeds I am paying for 6mb at 7pm at night. Tech support has been reluctant to fixing the problem.

9/24/14 Update : Running great 8 downstreams bonded getting around 170/10mbps.

member for 3.8 years, 718 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MediacomChad

Ultra 105

That's great to hear everything is working well for you Technicholas. If you do need anything else moving forward don't hesitate to contact me here and I would be happy to further assist you.
Technicholas
join:2010-11-11
Winterset, IA

Re: Ultra 105

This is what I appricate about Mediacom your on and active on a Saturday at 11:23PM at night (CDT) appreciate it again MediacomChad!

Re: Ultra 105

You're welcome! I'm happy I can help.

Review by iowaboy See Profile

• Location: Fairfield,Jefferson,IA
Good "Fast connection"
Bad "Cost "
Overall "Fiber available here within city limits but Mediacom extends out to those ourside"

·Windstream
·WildBlue
09-18-2014 After being away from Mediacom for a few years and changed to local Telco DSL which provided better reliability at that time along with better speeds for download and upload. Since then we had moved to different city and had signed up with National Telco for 2 phone lines plus DSL. Didn't know that Mediacom did service outside of city limits where we now lived. After fighting with the National Telco over DSL speeds for over a year did call Mediacom to sign up for Internet only. From call to installation was 2 days. Right away speeds are where we can use Netflix and watch Youtube videos and listen to music all day long without any issues. Did for about a week had a issue with speeds dropped lower than what was ordered but not to a level that really would notice without checking Speedtest.net. Made contact with Mediacom Tech here on DSL reports and after rebooting modem about 7 times over and over the modem did draw a file that allowed the speeds to go back to original levels.

The reason for this updated review is that Mediacom has come a long way in trying to make things right for the customer. The reasons for us leaving a few years ago and has been fixed. The speeds now being offered are great. So far we have not reached the caps so I can not say anything about them at this time. At the moment if someone has a issue I highly recommend that they contact one of the techs here on DSL Reports. They will do everything within their powers to make it right.

11-7-2007 Still the best for the money available. Loss of movie channels to make room for more channels is not being received very well, even by me. My connection for internet seems to be very strong and have very few down times. Usually when internet down Mediacom gets someone on it real fast. DSL is offered in this community but the cost to speed level is quite high and htye do not offer any speeds close to Mediacoms 8000/512. Other communities have more to offer so for them offerings are more matched to each other. For me Mediacom is still the best.

5-4-2007 So far still the best for value here in this small town. DSL is available thru the phone company, but still not up to Mediacoms standards. I have had no problems with my connection and it has always been there for me and all the computers we have connected to the line (7).

10/30/2006 I still go with what I have said before. I still get great speeds except when AT&T has problems. I still say compared to the local dsl cable is the way to go. The local phone company now offers tv along with their broadband (if you call 768/256 any speed for$55.95 a month fast) I have done alot of work on internet problems for those unlucky to mhave the local dsl and after they see what my speeds are they switch over to Mediacom and are real happy so far. When i compare the spped to cost ratio between dsl and cable here where I live cable still wins. When the phone company gets their heads straight and really offer real speeds for the price then maybe cable will have a challenge but till then, what can I say, cable wins. ( I also get the phone company's goat when they try to get me to change and I pull out my speed tests for days and evenings and they can't beat Mediacom :>) each person has their own tests and prefrence so compare before you buy.

12/15/2005 Speeds, both up and down for me have been great. A constant 4600/243 all the time. It may be that the node is not overloaded. Tech support has answers the line within 3 minutes and has always been very courtious and answered my questions. When techs have had to do a onsite they were fast at finding the problem and were always interested in my observations and any data that I may have. The only other broadband in my town can't even compare on speed and price. Mediacom remains the most cost effective media here.

Customer service and tech support very friendly. The only time that service techs had to come to the house they were very friendly and effiecent. Even took time to look at the information (tracerts, modem speeds and signal), and checked all connections at pedistal and splitter. Even helped me find the source of abnormal current on the line (bad digital converter) so another tech did not have to make a trip. I was on dialup before moving into mediacom area so speed is very thrilling.

We had Direct TV before and really miss it since we were getting all channels available for the same price as we are getting now for all digital with Starz package. So my family feels that this price could be alot better and feel the tv portion is over priced.

As far as the internet part the price may be in line as before we had 2 phone lines and 2 isp's which put that cost at $60 a month.

I have sent others to mediacom for internet and would advise anyone to sign up for Mediacom Online services.

Update:4/30/2004= Remains a fast connection 236 up and 2695 down on the average for me. The one time that I had to call tech support they were very friendly and listened to what I had to say. They even sent a repair crew out and they found problems with the line up the road which cured all the problems with disconnections. I still would recommend cable to anyone in this area as it has the best cost/benefit ratio available.

Update:12/11/2004 Service remains good. Had trouble last weekend with loss of internet and slow speeds. Tech support was very helpfull and polite. Had a bad modem and router which I had replacements here at home already. Speed picked up after a few restarts and everything back to normal if not even better than before. I am running 7 computers on this line through a router and even with the kids being online and my downloading linux iso's my speeds remain aroung 2850 down and 236 up.

member for 10.5 years, 2169 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

BJG

@173.29.89.x

Mediacom quality vs price

Regarding TV, how would you compare Mediacom with satellite? Like many, I'm trying to sort out the value propositions of Mediacom, DTV and Dish.

Review by Bbrown49 See Profile

• Location: Ankeny,Polk,IA
Good "Quick set up and quick service"
Bad "None thus far"
Overall "Good service for the money"

I ordered the service thru a mailer. Mediacom telemarketers had to call me after completing the mailer to get the special they were running. (1/2 price for 3 months) I could not call them after getting the mailer to get the rate. I received a call on Thursday and set up the install for the following Monday AM. No one came so I called Tuesday AM early and set up the install for the following Wednesday. 2 hours later the tech was at my door(Tuesday). Where the mix up came from, nobody knows. I had previously purchased my own modem and the tech had me up and running in 20 min. Everything, including e-mail, worked. I am getting 2 meg download and 135 meg upload

Update - I ordered the service via MediacomChad. Asked for the 12 meg service and was told they had a special $30 for 12 months the first year, $40 a month the second year. Was contacted about 5 days later and tech guy came out the following morning and got me set up. My speed tests on the service showed between 4 and 5 meg download and .5 meg upload. I then learned the base internet service is 4 meg with bursts to 12 meg. The next service higher, Prime, was 15 meg download and 1 meg up and was rated for that. It would cost $10 more per month the second year. I upgraded to this service and have consistently had speed tests over 15 meg down and 1 meg up.

Update - My 2 year contract was about to expire so I contacted MediacomChad. He had a retention person contact me and I was able to get a good promo price plan for $30 for 1 year and $40 for the second year for the same speed I had. No interruption in service after accepting it. I did have to contact MediacomChad afterwards to correct a minor billing issue.

member for 13.9 years, 3650 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MediacomChad

Service

I am glad everything is working good for you so far!

Let me know if you have any issues going forward and I will be happy to help you.

Review by Hoogityboo See Profile

• Location: Alba,Jasper,MO
Good "Works most of the year"
Bad "Technical problems don't get resolved in a timely manner."
Overall "Unreliable, spotty service, VERY BAD technical support. Avoid their service."

We've had Mediacom for over 2 years as our isp, here in Alba, MO. It was the only option for high speed internet other than satellite, ( and as of yesterday if found out DSL just became available through another company, my neighbor has it.) We don't pay for the service, it is paid for by my wife's employer as she works for an advertising firm that allows her to work from home. Her employer has informed Mediacom SEVERAL times that WE are to be contacted regarding issues, appointments, etc. They have been informed of this more than 20 times, but still they can't keep a record of that information. About 9 to 10 months out of the year, our internet has worked great. But this year as well as the last, there have been several MONTHS that our service has been intermittent and unreliable. Right now is one of those times in our household. Over the past two months, our internet has degraded to the point of being unreliably bad. Yesterday alone, I was disconnected over 40 times due to sudden signal degradation. After dark and until the sun comes up, there has been no service at my home at all. I have missed several days worth of work because they can't keep appointments and because they call the wrong contact number. They can't schedule appointments in a timely manner (I'm looking at 5 weeks to get my issue resolved currently), and often when I call or twitter them, they lie to me about calling me back or contacting me, and this is not an isolated thing. We have been hung up on several times, and lied to REPEATEDLY by customer service and technicians. I have had technicians come out and try to do things sub par (like put my cable modemon a line AFTER a 5 way splitter). I don't even know if the technicians know as much as I do about cable signals. Do they even train their technicians? I've heard from people who used to work for Mediacom that they are treated like garbage by the company, and told NOT to fix things properly. After dealing with them so many times, I honestly believe it is true.

I'm a fair person, I give people chances to fix their mistakes, but this has gone beyond that. This company is simply TERRIBLE, and is hands down the worst Internet Service Provider I have EVER had. I've never even reviewed an ISP before because I've never had this many problems with one.

Mediacom would be a better company if it spent as much on its infrastructure and its employees as it does its marketing.

Avoid using this company if you have any other options.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Hello,

Thank You for contacting me here about this issue. I was able to review your account and can see the work that our Social Media Team has been doing to assist you. I also see that there is a trouble call scheduled that was able to be moved up sooner than the date that was originally scheduled. Feel free to shoot me an IM and I will be happy to let you know the date and arrival window, as well as assist you with any future service issues.
»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/

Review by jake1110 See Profile

• Location: Mount Pleasant,Henry,IA
Good "Consistent service for over 30 years(even before the service was own by MC). Great internet speeds"
Bad "Too expensive for what we get. Better options exist for TV"
Overall "Surprisingly more reliable than expected, no rewards for long term customers"

Note: I joined DSL Reports way back in 2008 originally but never logged in to post so my old account has since been deleted so I am new again.

I'm writing this review with my parents who have subscribed to Mediacom for over 30 years. We just dropped the phone service to save money and the bill is still $140 between family cable and 15mbps internet. In Mount Pleasant, IA the connection is always fast and reliable. In fact, we were some of the first customers to use their phone service in the early 2000's. Overall, the internet service has been as advertised. No issues with streaming, browsing...anything.

Our MAJOR complaints come from the TV service and overall pricing. For $72.95, we don't even have an HD box which is something that comes standard for satellite services. For an extra $15 a month, they can provide a DVR, but all we need is an HD box so we can actually get more than local HD channels. Why not provide one cable box for that price? Dish and DTV both do.

We always see promotions for $89.99 family cable + internet which includes the digital box. Of course, that's not offered to such a long term customer like us. Why not? Why not reward loyalty and on time payments? The lowest Mediacom could offer was $105 for one year, then $120 for a second and back up to $140 after that. We could easily switch to Windstream + Dish/DTV and pay less, plus get all HD channels for life. Yes, the Windstream service is slower but we're not a large family taxing the pipe, so a downgrade wouldn't bother us at 6 - 10mbps, especially with overprovisioning that usually occurs

Overall, for the many years we've had MC and our experience has been more positive than negative but with the pricing and seeing what competitors offer, they may force us to finally switch before hitting our 40th anniversary. If anyone from Mediacom reads this, please take note. Don't let your best customers get jump ship. We've been pouring money into MC's pockets for decades, why not help us out.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Hello!

I am happy to hear that your service is working properly. I will however be happy to look into the billing inquiry you have mentioned here. Feel free to shoot me an IM with your account info and I will have a representative review your account and see if there is anything we can to to possibly save you some money.

Review by Klarth See Profile

• Location: Oronogo,Jasper,MO
Good "Speeds are what they should be when service is up"
Bad "High percentage downtime, offensively bad phone support"
Overall "If you have another viable option, take it"

What can be said about MediaCom that hasn't been said already? I've been a customer for nearly two years now after moving to Joplin, MO. Despite all the great help given on these boards by MediacomChad, I just can't get behind this company. The installation process was fine, but from the moment service started I was plagued by latency issues. Fortunately it was a signal issue that a technician was able to get corrected in a couple weeks time. From there things were still not as fast as my old cable ISP (Cox in Arkansas), but I could live with it, and it was a fair price given the first year promo pricing.

All that changed after the tragic tornado that hit the area on May 22. I had to call just to get a credit on my account for the 3 weeks that service was out, when you'd think they'd have taken care of that given the graveness of the disaster. After the three weeks and service was restored, I found that the speeds were much worse than before, to the point of being teeth-gnashingly slow at night. But, given the situation, there were much more important things to worry about and I was still in the one year pricing, so I let it go and just decided to be patient, despite things I enjoy like video-conferencing with family or occasional online gaming was no longer an option after 6pm, which is the only time I'm at home to use it anyway. Well now we're 9 months later, and nothing has improved. Calls to tech support have been futile. They once sent out a technician who blamed the speed problem on having two routers bridged together (spoiler alert: he was wrong). I try to be patient and understanding, but the price of service has now spiked up (around $100/month for TV/12mbps), and service outages are becoming more random and frequent. Occasionally I am given credits on my account when I call to complain, but not enough to make it even close to being worth the cost of this service.

I really want to give this company a chance, but even the employees who frequent these forums have to realize how frustrating it can be to come home after a long day just wanting to visit with relatives over Skype or watch a YouTube video, only to find that the cable is out and you have yet another letter in your mailbox begging you to switch to MediaCom's phone service. Oh, and the MediaCom apologist trolls that lurk around these forums. Those suck.

All that said, if you have the service and it works up to speeds advertised, it's worth the money. If you have a problem, you may be in for a world of hurt. They aren't an evil company--no more than other Internet providers, but they could be so much more if they invested a bit more money in infrastructure to make their customers a bit happier.

On the plus side, in the 30 minutes it took to write and proofread this review, my 10 minute YouTube video finally finished buffering.

Update 2/26/2012:

After missing a few "fix" dates, the Joplin area was switched over to new fiber and it looks like the situation is finally resolved as connection speeds are stable at all hours. I will keep updating this review as time passes. Building back trust from the users in this area will be a gradual process, but I'm hopeful that things will remain stable into the future.

Update 2/29/2012:

And like that, it's gone back to Mediacom's same old tricks of unusable connection speed at nights. Apparently they have another "fix" scheduled in another month, and who knows how many more times that will be missed (again).

Update 6/3/2013

After over a year, Mediacom's service has improved. There's still an occasional frustrating outage every so often where you can't even call to complain because they shut off their phone system, but a couple messages to their social media team will usually get you account credit for the downtime. We are now looking at moving out of these apartments to another part of town. The Joplin metro area is carved into two cable fiefdoms, one run by Mediacom and the other by CableOne. With today's news that CableOne is taking a less aggressive tone with caps (and impressive speeds unlike MC), they are going to be a huge factor in where we relocate to. Right now I'm paying $120 for TV/12mps Internet, and I'm locked into this price since I'm on their grandfathered data plan. I'd love to move to their 50mbps plan with an adequate cap of 1tb, but nope, not available here.

Never thought I'd see the day when the ISP that brought us 50mbps service with a 50gb cap and 50cents/gb overages would be the superior option, but there you go...

Update 1/21/2014:

Well, we have moved to a new part of town in which Mediacom serviced every surrounding neighborhood but not the one where our new house was. After months of complaining (and begging the city to consider changing their franchise agreement to let a rival cable company move in), Mediacom does finally service the area. At least I think so... It has been down more than it's been up since the installation over a week and a half ago. First it was an issue at the pole, then it was a widespread outage, now a localized outage. Getting credits for the downtime is like pulling teeth sometimes and it's a fulltime job given the amount of outages. It would be nice if they would automatically credit accounts instead of assuming that everyone has an alternate method of contacting Mediacom to complain (as well as the free time to sit through the phone support routine). The last time I called into phone support during an outage, I have to sit through the asinine automatic troubleshooter (tip: if you scream "I want to speak to a live person" at it you can bypass most of the garbage, but it does make you look silly to anyone else in earshot). I then get through to a nice Indian woman whom I'm sure is really named "Barbara", who then was able to confirm that yes, indeed, my service is out after running through the usual ridiculous steps like rebooting computer and being asked to remove splitters. She arranges a technician to come out, after warning that if they can't find anything wrong I would be charged an additional fee. Charming. And as her pièce de résistance, she then subtly adds before ending the call that "I've noticed that you don't have phone service...". This ties into the next topic of deceptive and irritating marketing.

If you read some of the threads on the Mediacom forums you'll see that they just love sending junk mail through snail mail. Particularly letters that say "URGENT: RESPONSE REQUIRED", and when you open them up you get an official bill-looking document that in reality is just an advertisement for their phone service. That's pretty bush league, even for a company with no standards. Of course there is no way to opt out of this trash, and there's always a chance they really do send out an important document so you can't just shred it in the envelope. Clever, but bush league.

If you were thinking of getting their TV service compared to Dish or DirecTV, you've had enough to drink, please stop. Unless you are in an apartment or somewhere that you can't set up the dish, there is no reason to have to go through an additional layer of headaches with Mediacom for what has to be some of the most overpriced TV service I've ever seen. Their promo pricing isn't even worth it. Next..

The field techs aren't exactly the friendliest or most knowledgeable you'll see. At least the ones I deal with act like it's the last place they want to be, and as soon as their own tests show the service is "working", they are out the door. Even if the modem is offline again by the time they get past the block. The forum support is a different story. They are polite, especially if you protest on the official forums where many subscribers may be watching. I'm not sure if the different guys are truly different people since they always phrase things the same way. For example, there was an outage a few days ago, and when many people complained here and on their forums, the response is always worded the same way. Something like "you will be credited accordingly". Makes me think there's some sort of Mediacom employee reeducation camp or something. They are also bad about spewing talking points and other stats they can't back up, like their "97% of all users don't have problems with the new cash grab data caps" line. That said they will do their best to make you 'feel' better about whatever is wrong, and the only reason I didn't rank their tech support as being the worst.

In summary:

Pre-sales information: Two times now I have said I have my own modem, yet they 'accidentally' leave that $5 fee on the bill hoping I won't notice

Install coordination: Tech did show up in the time frame listed, but apparently didn't test anything seeing as I immediately had problems. Left an unburied line running in back yard that they will supposedly bury at some point before the end of time.

Connection reliability: Bad, bad, bad. How can one area have so many outages?

Tech support: "Would you like to purchase some non-functioning phone service to go with your non-functioning Internet?"

Services: Assuming just having Internet service and no viable alternatives in the area. Not the worst... Does not apply to TV/phone

Value for money: $55/month for first year, $65/month for second year. After that it jumps up to 95 and it's time to cancel and get new customer promo under different name. For 50mbps service, that's tolerable, assuming I put the time/effort into getting credits for all these outages...

Update 9/3/2014:

The year was mostly quiet but Mediacom found a way to screw things up. As everyone knows, a few months ago they rolled out speed updates. My plan is now 100/50mbps with a 999gb cash grab, which seems reasonable, but there's one fatal flaw. YouTube (and Netflix, allegedly since I don't use it) cannot stream at certain times of day. If it's 9 or 10pm in the evening and you make the mistake of wanting to watch a video with your Mediacom connection, get ready for 10 minutes of waiting to prebuffer a 144p video. I haven't been getting those irritating scammy snail mail letters trying to con me onto their phone service, so I can only assume they reallocated their marketing budget to get YouTube 'HD Verified' status. It doesn't mean a damn thing.

I'm currently in a new conflict with them as the area suffered a major outage about a week ago, and since then people from the entire area have been suffering unreliable service. You know how you can have co-workers who live 10 miles away but also use Mediacom and have the exact same symptoms as you (constant drops, modem restarts, slow speeds), yet Mediacom will stick to their "We don't see an area problem" line? What this means is you're in for a long period of terrible service and no resolution in sight. Sure, they scheduled a trouble call, with the soonest time being nearly a month away. Do they really think we can just be without service for a month (yet continue to keep paying them)?

The levels of incompetence are quickly on the rise. A few months ago I might have been ready to suggest them to friends (who were willing to take a small gamble) but now it's almost literally throwing your money away as you aren't getting service that you're paying for. Since the last time I had problems they also seemed to have gotten more stingy about handing out credits for service interruptions-- like we're just supposed to just accept it. I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing other than satellite as an alternative, but if you have another choice in a larger market, you would be remiss not to get it instead of Mediacom.

member for 9 years, 1723 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MediacoN

@communications.net

Cedar Rapids, IA

Embarrassingly Awful Customer Service. The absolute worst.
seanb

join:2012-02-02
Harvest, AL

Re: Cedar Rapids, IA

having worked tech support and gone from a job doing that straight to managing an enterprise (with the same knowledge i had at tech support, so you can imaging my frustration) i can say that no matter how bad you hate the job, its still YOUR JOB. if you cant at least feign an interest in the customer, at least dont be combative or argumentative. every time i called their tech support, they suggested it was a computer problem of mine. trust me, its not. at one point i even stuck a Fireberd analyzer from work on the line and told them what it was saying, but they didnt understand that anyway.

just avoid this place, seriously.

Klarth

I have been in touch with the area network engineers. They are working to move traffic over to an additional higher capacity fiber bunch to correct this issue.
Klarth

join:2005-09-16
Oronogo, MO
·Mediacom

Re

Just as a followup and so that everyone knows, Chad has been supportive with all my problems and he's probably the sole reason I give any credit to MediaCom's tech support (Between here and their Twitter feed, there's really fast responses for most little problems). It's a stark contrast between what you find through these online resources and the fellows in India who you get on their 800 number. It's just too bad when I need to contact them it is because my Internet is out. But again, at the end of the day, it's still the fact that it's been nearly nine months with nigh-unusable service. I really do look forward to the day when not only can I amend my review, but the many others who post reviews (and some who unfortunately register here for the sole purpose of writing a negative MediaCom review) can have a better opinion of this company.
seanb

join:2012-02-02
Harvest, AL

Re: Re

I can ammend my review in adding $242 for a termination fee was worth it. Just dropped off my modem and finalized it.

Chad: find a job for a company where you can make a difference! I've seen your name here a few times. Take it to somewhere that's not a stark contrast to your apparent work ethic and bravado.
VTX1800N1

join:2010-12-06
Mahomet, IL

Re: Re

said by seanb:

Wow, no way would I pay any termination fee to a company that failed to provide the service they were already paid for. I would have told them to stick it.

Bub

@swbell.net

review

Mediacom is a company without a face. If you don't mind talking to a recorder, and making numerous trips to the office - ten miles away (for me) - with equipment that repeatedly does not work, then this is the company for you!

I will be moving to AT&T as soon as I can!!

Re: review

Bub & SaMm2010,

I'd love to look into any problems you are having and work to get this resolved as soon as possible. This is not the type of service you should expect and would be happy to get this worked out for you and make sure your service is up to your expectations. If you want to send me a personal message on here with your telephone# or MAC address I can get back with you on this immediately.
»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/
SaMm2010
join:2011-01-18
Edenton, NC

This company is the worst of the worst, they will oversell the service and never fix it. It's been 1 year and a month and my internet is still slow during peak hours and weekends, I most times can't game online with my friends that have good internet, so all I can say is if you have mediacom as your internet provider better have a good supply of single player games you will need them.
VTX1800N1

join:2010-12-06
Mahomet, IL

Re: comment

said by SaMm2010:

I'm 3 years into oversold service. I SO wish there was another choice here and I never had to be a MC customer again.

honestly

@comcast.net

Mediacom

There is so much I could say here, but there simply is not a enough time! I do realize that some of the techs don't do everything they should! However, they are forced to do more than they can handle! The have a really demanding job! Also, the turn over rate at Mediacom is unbelievable! I've have witnessed a lot of new employee's that come into Mediacom with high expectations, therefore giving their best effort to learn everything! But it seems like, after a year or so, they have lost their drive!... I could ramble for hours!
A lot of what the original poster has mentioned is the exact problems I have witness for years! I also witnessed these events in more ways than you could imagine! Faulty equipment! you could never believe the faulty equipment this company has had! But it's no surprise, considering for years they have used the same old equipment that the prior company was using!
As for earnings.. this company relies on huge marketing strategy to gain customers...so huge that they have now resorted to signing contracts! Matter of fact, they will do anything to make a dollar, weather they get it from the custom or even their own employee's!
Believe me when I say,for years I have witnessed their desperate measures to make more money! just a few examples would be, accusing their tech of losing equipment, then charging them (deducted from their checks) the fullest price. Most of which was returned, but the equipment return process was so messed up and goes through so many phases that in most cases it was misplaced! Once other instance, I have heard of techs trying to be honest with a customer, in return accused of "de-selling" by management! Matter of fact techs are force to sign a privacy waiver! Please try to use careful judgement while analysing the techs abilities. They are being paid by the same company that you pay your bill to. Therefore, they deal with issues of losing their wages or being forced to handle work loads that don't give each and every customer the service they deserve.
Outages! oh my! I'm not really sure why this happens so much, but the credit back to the customers is not worth the hassle! As the internet becomes more demanding, Mediacom should be forced to pay a bigger credit! And even if they did, the hassle to get one makes it feel unappreciated!

hoogityboo

@173.25.65.x

1 recommendation

I feel your pain, Mediacom is terrible around here.

I live in Alba, MO. About 5 minutes from Oronogo. We moved here almost 2 years ago and I have had the service techs out here for internet problems over 5 times. We have had issues at roughly the same time you have, according to your posts, especially since the last major outage two weeks ago. Since then, we have replaced EVERY major component of our cable system. We have a new cable running from their tap to a BRAND NEW two way splitter (one of which goes directly to the BRAND NEW DOCSIS 3.0 modem that I bought TWO DAYS AGO, and the other to a BRAND NEW three way splitter for our tvs.) I had a technician out here yesterday, and our end of the cable service is pristine. I hovered over him and watched all of his signal readings and he checked EVERYTHING from the line to the pole. OUR END IS PRISTINE. While he was here, I had him attach the cable on the pole as well (prior to that, is was just hanging from the splitter/amplifier at the top of the pole and could often be seen blowing in the wind) At the time when he left yesterday, My signal level was almost perfect. My upstream was about 45-46dBmV, My downstream was fluctuating between 0 and 1 dBmV. My SnR was about 37db. According to the research I've done (and believe me, since I've had Mediacom as my ISP I've learned more about cable signals than I care to know) those signal readings are damn near perfect. Then last night, the internet started acting up again (which I have been logging carefully). The upstream signal will suddenly shoot up to 58 (which is the equivalent of our modem screaming at the top of its lungs), our downstream signal loses about 3 to 4 dBmV and then the modem restarts. This has been happening REPEATEDLY and while the modem restarts quickly most of the time, last night, it wouldn't even come back on. Can't blame it on the Modem this time Mediacom, its two days old and their modem did the EXACT same thing.

I'm really growing tired of not getting reliable service and spending so much time on the phone or twitter with them. It costs me wages to be here for a technician that is NEVER going to fix the problem because A.) he doesn't know how cable works (this hurr meturr sez urrythens good) and B.) the problem is NOT at my home (if he even shows up at all). Mediacom has NO accountability. We waited two weeks for the technician to come out here. Now we have to wait three more weeks for another one to return. And I keep asking myself WHY does this company not just spend its money on better equipment, infrastructure, training for its technicians, or anything to help instead of MARKETING? It's corporate insanity at its finest.

I wonder how we can get them thrown out of Jasper county once and for all. I know things like this have been done before. Surely another Cable provider can move in and take over for them and do things even a little more competently.