Mediacom page on DSLReports

Review by RezzIA See Profile

• Location: Bettendorf,Scott,IA
Good "Not much."
Bad "Constant internet outages and signals dropping."
Overall "Would be out of business with any competition."

Internet is slow, unstable, and/or outright unresponsive late nights. If you are a late night person or someone who uses your internet for tv service or gaming, don't even consider Mediacom.

Gaming, streaming, and anything else that requires a decent connection is practically impossible to maintain at night, thanks to their 12am-6am nightly "maintenance windows". Expect at least 3-4 nights per week of downtime. It's frustrating and insulting. I've used many ISPs in the past and none of them had these nightly blackouts.

member for 208 days, 129 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MediacomChad

Support

RezzaIA (MMOloser),

I can understand you frustration with the service issues you have been having, including but not limited to the maintenance that we perform in the early morning hours. I assure you it was not my intention to mislead you in any way. Our Social Media Team, myself included, are here to assist our customers so they do not have to call and wait on hold for a prolonged amount of time.

I have went back through our conversations here, as well as the ones you have had with our Twitter support and I can see that we have offered to assist you with any service issues you have had, but thus far we have not been given any account information in order to do so. You mentioned here in this review that you are having service issues including slow and intermittent service. We would hate to lose you as a customer and we (Our Social Media Team) will more than happy to look into the issues you are having from here and work to address them accordingly.

If you would like to get the issues you are having addressed, feel free to send me an IM with your account or phone number, or provide the information to our Twitter support.
»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/
RezzIA

join:2014-03-28

Re: Support

Haven't reached out to customer support? Really? That's odd since I'm on the telephone with them at least 3x a week and have had several techs out to the house in the last year trying to get this problem fixed to no avail.

Finally one of the techs admitted it wasn't a problem with my equipment. He said the area was waaaaay over capacity and that's why everyone was having connection issues.

Not to mention you and some other support agents were sending me to the blatantly wrong URL to check for local maintenance (which has, at least, been resolved now thanks to your honesty).

Chad, I respect your ability to help and I think you deserve to work for a much better company, but sometimes you have to realize that Mediacom is the lowest rated consumer ISP for a reason.

Us customers don't just make this stuff up to spite you. The service is poor and the support is even worse.

The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in most cases with you guys.
Expand your moderator at work
thurst0n

join:2011-06-19
Johnston, IA

Re: Support

Rezz - Chad can't see your conversation with customer support on the phone if you never provided him with your account # on DSL Reports.

Review by rtfm See Profile

• Location: Valley Center,San Diego,CA
Good "Help from employee in mediacom forum."
Bad "Can't...."
Overall "Don't count on getting service."

I'd love to write a real review about Mediacom, as the price was right, but the truth is: my client can't get served. Yes, their outside plant goes down his road, and their node is hanging within the edges of the property.... But since his house is back from the road, they say Nyet.

I was told that, in effect, pigs would fly and HBO would be $1/year before they spend a dime on serving anyone new.

So if looking for service, don't get your hopes up.

member for 9.2 years, 606 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by krypt0 See Profile

• Location: Midwest
Good "Good Download Speeds"
Bad "Nothing major"
Overall "Above Average"

This is for residential internet service only.

Good download speeds, finally decent upload speeds (2ch upstream bonding)

Hardware (All customer owned):
1. Motorola SB6141 (primary)
2. Motorola SB6121 (backup)
Data Limit (monthly in GB): 2000
Provisioned Speed: 150/20M
Received Speed: 160/25M

»www.speedtest.net/result/3835479069.png

member for 11.4 years, 170 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MediacomChad

Service

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or service issues. I will be happy to assist you as best I can!

Markusmo

@50.81.100.x

Re: Service

I live in Hermann and are they going to fix the internet problem in the area ?

Review by cwebjohn See Profile

• Location: Waukee,Dallas,IA
Good "Internet"
Bad "TV"
Overall "Line tech no help"

I am on the Mediacom TV/Internet Prime/Basic TV package.

After coming back from a 3 day trip I noticed many digital channels were missing. Immediately I contacted Mediacom about the missing channels, and the first thing they ask me is if my TV is digital ready. Of course, these channels were showing up and now they are not. So, yes, it is digital ready.

I then had an appointment scheduled. The tech checked my cables and informed me that there was a loss of signal, but very little information was given to me. The tech almost seemed disinterested in talking about the issue. The tech then proceeded to tell me that he had scheduled a line tech to come out and check the line outside the house. Apparently the tech did whatever they did yesterday, but there was no change as of this morning.

I then contacted Mediacom about the line tech, and they proceeded to troubleshoot my TV. I reset my TV, unplugged everything and came up with the same issue. Still no resolution.

Mediacom then decided to schedule another tech to check out my house. No other details were provided. I am still at a loss about what the line technician discovered.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Cable issues

Hello cwebjohn See Profile,

I would be happy to assist you with any service issues you are experiencing. Feel free to send me a private message on here with your Mediacom account or phone number and I can get started.

Review by flapman See Profile

• Location: Colerain,Bertie,NC
Good "It works OK for about half the day."
Bad "Very slow speeds during evening prime time, streaming video is impossible."
Overall "I would quit Mediacom if there were any viable option in my area."

I am supposed to be getting 15 down and 2 up for $65/month. For the past 6 months every day my download speed drops to near 0 to maybe 5mbs, every day about 4 or 5 pm, and stays that way until early morning when it returns to 15 to 20mbs. It seems that the node I am on is very overloaded. They admit there is a "utilization issue" in my area, which has been obvious to me for months. I am surprised that there are no other complaints posted on dslreports from my area in North Carolina.

Have been with Mediacom for many years and service has been erratic with many outages. After hurricane Isabel they left a main feeder line on top of the ground next to the highway for years. Every time the state mowed the right of way they severed the main line again. After years of splicing the line and never re-burying the feeder, there was a large collection of bits of cable scattered all around the section of exposed line. I called them about it many times before they finally buried the line. There have been other Mediacom service problems over the many years that I have been a customer.

It would be nice to start getting somewhere near the download speed I am paying for.

Comments:

MediacomChad

High area utilization

Hello flapman See Profile,

I would be happy to assist you here on DSLReports. It looks like you may already be working with the team over on the Mediacom Forums on this as well. I was able to locate an escalation that was sent up to get this issue resolved and they are still working on it. Feel free to send me a private message if you do need anything else and I can definitely look into it for you.

Review by KBFLOW See Profile

• Location: usa
Good "pc has properspeeds"
Bad "ps3 throttled ip address blacklist"
Overall "mediacon doesnt support ps3"

AOTHER WTF TOPIC WITH MEDIACON. lol. I have had many isp's through out the years dsl,cable and even satellite when i lived outside of city and have never had a game console throttled untill now.. i had mediacon in past for over 2 years before i could relocate to get away from there gangster services and ps3's got proper speeds its the overselling of there product (internet) that brought on PEAK HOURS AND DOWNTIME. AFTER 10-12 tech visits they finaly admited there servers ect cant keep up but first they wasted my time gobs and gobs of run around stories like its your ps3 well no its your modem well wait its your router oh you got us yes its on our end not that we care cause we got your money the whole time of terrible service and by the way that was profit we are net getting new equitment lol Sorry for inconvenience would you like to upgrade?LOL LOL. Anywho i now live in another city that only offers MEDIACON and FRONTIER and was told mediacom owns frontier though i tried frontier after 4 months of aroung 15mbps average i began to encounter kilobyte speeds due to overselling internet in my area and that server card upgrades are needed but not being done the tech claimed that on his 4th or 5th visiT. So i called only other isp available unfortunately its MEDIACON however they claim better speeds at new address 50 down and 7up 80$ something a month internet only lol. I took the package and upon my paid install i got a whopping 7d and 2up with cat6 ethernet straight to modem. same results through router(MY OWN MOTOROLA EXSTREME MODEM AND NETGEAR ROUTER) these are the results on ps3 brwser at speedtest.net ect ps3 speedtest IS ACURATE IT ALWAYS MATCHES. However laptops ect will pull the 50d just not ps3 i now have 2 more ps3's that i have hooked up same results. webtools are telling me ports like 80,5223 ect are closed even on laptop also isp has blacklis issues concerning ip address that i get from mediacon i was able to remove 1 out of two blacklist programs but the other has to be removed by mediacon and of course they claim they do not throttle or filter and that its all SONYS fault. lol The best i can do is change the primary and secondary dns on ps3 to open witch barely helped and yes i have dmz hosted portforwarded and even upn and port triggering hell ps3 cat6 straight to modem 7d and 2up. Of course they sent tech out for 4th time in about 4 months to fix signal issues cause it looks off i told them pc is fine so the SIGNAL IS FINE so dont send a tech to my house to fiddle with his thumbs again, i told them on recorded phone call that i wont pay for visit they said no problem then tech showed up refused to llook at closed ports, blacklist data ect and told me i will be billed for visit lol BUMS TRIED TO

AFTER SOME MORE BICKERING bill was waived. At this point they are as usefull as a turd in a punch bowl. They took 20$ off my monthly bill BUT I STILL DONT GET WHAT MEDIACON ADVERTISES HIGH SPEED GAMING YA OK SURE WHEN ITS NOT BEING FILTERD OR THROTTLED. MY MOVIE WEBSITES PLAY 3 second of video then stop for three seconds pc will play them fine lol PS3 always did ok when bandwith was available now i have 5 times the band with needed and it plays movies for 3 seconds and stops and im using maybe a tenth of my speed for online gaming THANKS MEDIACON FOR RENDERING ALL 3 OF MY PS3" AS USELESS.. GOOD THING IM NOT ON DISSABILITY AND DONT NEED HOME ENTERTAINMENT LOL YOU CANT FIX STUPID. BOTTOME LINE MEDIACON CANT BE TRUSTED OR THERE SCRIPT READING SO CALLED WORKERS 5 years 4 internet providers with ps3's and never had this problem. NO XBOX1 or PS4 untill MEDIACON CLEANS UP THERE ACT greedy^&^^^%# i will probably have to move from the house i own so i can use ps3's

Comments:
InterceptorX

join:2009-08-23
Streator, IL

My PS3 works just fine.

My PS3 works just fine.

·Mediacom

Re: My PS3 works just fine.

My ps3 worked fine as well and still does along with moded ps3 i bought and a superslim. Im typing this on slim moded model i will tell you these ps3's work fine been using ps3 platform since 08' and never encountered this issue and moreover the second mediacom installed internet a 50down 7up package i got 7down 2up on ps3 and all of sudden movies play for 3 seconds then pause for 3 sec perfectly throttled, filltered ect. My laptop gets full 50down and plays movies fine so it shows i have good download speed and performs like it but not any ps3. Ihad dsl 4 days prior from mediacom installed internet and at time only had one ps3 and it showed proper speeds and performed like iit had good speeds i left that co (frontier) because they oversold product and as a result 75% of the time there was bandwith issues now i have increadable bandwith from mediacom but they are blocking, filtering, spam filtering or something. I have brought this to their attention enough and nothings being done. I scaned for more blacklist programs assigned to my i.p address i get from mediacom and there is 4 spam programs running on it most only isp can remove, again never even heard of this before. All i do is watch utube, afdah, movie25 and play black ops 2 and accasionaly email, amazon ect. movies will not play and i get a whopping 3mb for black ops 2. There history with me is terrible in past years mediacom had terrible bandwith issues and now that bandwith issues are resolved there throttling any ps3 that i bring to this house 4 totol have been tested oh boy at radioshack and countless others are right MEDIACON THROTTLES PS3 whenever and however its happening and this is what it sounds like. JACKSONVILLE ILL 62650

·Mediacom

Re: My PS3 works just fine.

update i have firewall settings on not that there needed for ps3's however i will be needing it for laptop ect for piece of mind of course and also because when i hook up xbox1 i want the speedtest readings while hooked to router if throtling/filtering still persist then i will hook up to modem only and check results. If xbox1 or 360 connects properly(AS IN 30-50mbps down and not this issue with only 7down everytime) then CLEARLY that would be a SONY issue however when i borrow these consoles when i can and hook them up i fear i will be looking at the same 7down and 2up speeds but this is what im doing. Again if i use google primary and secondary dns servers instead of mediacom assigned ones my speeds will average 14mbs vrs 7mbs on mediacoms? Its a pitty there isnt a pc and console gameing troubleshooting list at mediacom. like i stated before i own 2 ps3 consoles now and borrowed 1 other for testing identical results on all, only other consoles to try are xbox 360 and xbox1 so as soon as i can i will post, this has been going on the second mediacom hooked up internet and ps3 connected flawlessly 3 or 4 days prior to Frontier enternet and all other providers since 2008 lol At the moment of mediacom install i only had a ps3 for internet use thats how i know this has been going on since moment of install now i own 2 ps3 consoles and got a 3rd to test same results on all three 7mbs d hardwired with cat 6 to modem or router didnt make differance as if controlled , throtled or filtered.. Ihave never uploaded anything i should not be getting blacklisted for spam on day 1 OF MEDIACOM INSTALLED INTERNET and yet theres 4 blacklisted programs assigned to my i.p address and clearly identified by multiple blacklistcheckers, this is RELAVENT BECAUSE THESE BLACKLIST PROGRAMS FILTER CONTENT CAUSING THROTLING, spamhasZEN is 1 example. Maybe someone should assign me a clean i.p address so 4 KNOWN THROTTLING PROGRAMS ARE NOT ATTACHED TO IT. Mytoolbox.com is 1 example of tools you use for blacklist, port scans (always showed ports closed), traceroutes, ping test ect.

I sent this to mediacom tech support today hopefuly they will reasign me a new i.p address howerver this is a dynamic i.p residential account so i dont know how long i have had current 1 but in past 3-4 months i have checked 2 different i.p's for blacklist and both had a few. i hope with fresh i.p i would clearly not be blacklisted but this issue with 7d and 2 up with cat5 or 6 using there equitment or my own happend the second they installed internet ps3 was only internet device i owned and wired all me and tech could get is 7d out of 50. pc , laptop gets around the 50 wired or wireless but not my ps3's the tech was stumped as well(keath) because he owns a ps3 and with my package the ps3 should not be reading 7 down wired directly to modem or router (DMZ ,UPNP,PORTFORWARD ect) i am currently trying to borrow xbox1 or 360 to see if speedtest as wellas performance is normal if so this would leave me with some questions and coincidences howerver i fear when i hook up xbox1 or 360 they will be limited to the 7mbps issue who knows i have to wait a minute to see.

Review by SomeDude See Profile

Good "I was with this company for 8 years. They weren't ALWAYS the worst company to work with."
Bad "CAPS. CAPS. CAPS. Their Customer Service is probably the worst that I've ever dealt with. Did I mention the CAPS?"
Overall "Stay away if you can."

Starting from the very beginning - Even though I asked the installer to bring the cable in upstairs, he decided it suited him better to simply drill a hole directly through the wall of my living room and screw the device plate down with some sheetrock screws. You know, the RIGHT way to do things. Since I didn't want the modem there, I ran coax inside my house to the spot I did want it. This ended up being a long run of coax, which lead to connection problems over the next half year or so. After several calls they sent out a tech who would only fix the problem by putting the modem back in the living room and not rerouting the coax where I wanted it in the first place. When he left I ripped it out of the wall and finally installed it where I wanted it. I had no problems for a few years after that.

Sometime in 2009 my modem kept dropping out. After a few dozen "Please unplug your router for 30 seconds" calls (where they think they fix the problem forever because it's working again for 60 seconds) they finally sent out a tech who I had to beg to replace the modem. He claimed that it wouldn't help the problem, but it did. I didn't have another problem until 2011 when it was internet & TV. They couldn't get a tech out for about a week to check out the problem, so I borrowed the bucket truck from my employer at the time and temporarily fixed it by replacing a bad F connector. A few days later the tech came out and replaced it to Mediacom standards.

In 2012 I took a break from cable and only had internet through Mediacom. I also replaced my Mediacom modem with one I bought, saving me a few more dollars a month. The internet gets painfully slow some evenings, but your choices are get used to it or call Tech support.....and you NEVER want to have to call Mediacom unless you have to. They are always "experiencing larger than normal call volume" - even at 2am. On the plus side if you're a poor college student with a lot of time between paychecks, Mediacom will usually let your bill slide for a month or so without disconnecting you.

Last October Mediacom decided to make a grab for their customer's wallets by enforcing data caps. Which basically means that now you get to concern yourself with worrying about things like what happens if your computer gets hit with malware that uses up your precious data. I talked to many, many reps about my feelings on this issue and while a few pretended to care, most took the position that there was nothing that could be done. Some reps even told me that if I didn't like it I should just change my service.

Anyway, there is a long post on the forum about my issues on that topic titled "Repeatedly blown off by Mediacom CS". If you're interested look it up so I don't have to write it all again here.

I decided to leave Mediacom after the way they handled the cap issue. When I did, the rep argued with me that all ISPs have caps and she has two friends who use my new ISP and they get overages ALL THE TIME. When I told her I made sure that wasn't true and told her to mind her own business she hung up on me. Classy 'till the very end.

In summary, if you're willing to put up with a data caps, speeds that vary greatly by time of day, and terrible customer service - all for higher than average prices - Mediacom might be the ISP you've been looking for.

Comments:
KBFLOW

FILTERING/THROTTLING

Day 1 of MEDIACON internet install that only took 15mnts to install and cost pretty penny all of my ps3 gaming consoles hardwired through cat 6 ethernet get 7down 2 up on a 50d and 7up package. I paid for install this time cause i know not to trust MEDIACON from prior years of TERRIBLE DOWNTIME SERVICE THAT THEY BOLDLY CALLED HIGHSPEED and i wanted a guarante that this package works the way its suppost to and of course the very second it was installed all of sudden ps3's are some how controled or filtered or throttled down to 7d out of 50. lol EVEN STRAIGHT TO MODEM SPEEDS ARE IDENTICAL. of course laptops cell phones will pull and show around 50 down but not any of 3 ps3 consoles that i have. MYTOOLBOX.com shows ports 80,5223 ect are close and that isp has 2 blacklist programs running on my ip address from MEDIACON. I was able to remove 1 of the smamhoss program but the other has to be removed by MEDIACON and of course they wont.lol i have new equitment that ibought 2 differant times with realy no changes vrs MEDIACON modem/router.THERE IS SO MUCH MORE I COULD SAY BUT I WILL ADVISE EVERYONE TO AVOID MEDIACOM THE WAY THEY AVOID REAL WORLD TROUBLESHOOTING.

Re: FILTERING/THROTTLING

Hello KBFLOW,
I have read over your posts and I would like to get some more information from you. How are you connecting your PS3 to your network? If you are connected via Ethernet, is this cable running along side an UPS? If the cable is un-shielded this can sometimes cause packet loss. If you can send me a pm with your account information I will be happy to look over your signals for you. You mentioned Spamhaus in this review, this is used to block spam through our email program. This cannot be removed.
»support.mediacomcable.com/

Re: FILTERING/THROTTLING

what a joke seriously how am i wired well for those who can read cat 6 ethernet lol straight 2 modem does it matter (INTERFERANCE) no pc and cell connect just fine. NOT TO MENTION I PLAY PS3 IN SAME SPOT AS I DID WITH FRONTIER AND YAH FORGET ABOUT IT.DMZ HOSTED PORTFORWARDING UPNP DIDNT MATTER READ THE POST. After all this time and u are asking about the ps3 not being shielded go run ask your boss for SICK TIME OFF. I SURELY AM DONE. 4 router combos, 3 ps3's a bunch of tech visits confirming signal is good lol hell when heith installed my internet a mediacom tech he shook his head as i will to any one inquiring about mediacom internet. ITs fun reviewing other peoples replys regarding chad from gulf breez florida's help lol ah yeah i got no faith in your exsperiance. Traceroute check to sony server would be a good answer but i realize your not feeling well i guesse thats why you havnt helped. Remember day 1 of mediacom installed internet this 7 down 2 up and boy do they perform like it to. It was a low blow to blame it on lack of shielding or sony i have been using ps3's since 07' if im not mistaken. never had this issue even with mediacom in the past. You really should look at my ping with mediacom internet on ps3 is a JOKE. and incase some wise a2$$ wants to know, only one ps3 gets connected to internet. Get well soon chad as well as mediacon. BEST WISHES JOSH FROM JACKSONVILLE IL

Review by wpbear See Profile

• Location: Cataula,Harris,GA
Good "Only Provider Available"
Bad "Horrible Customer Service, Price and Copyright Policy"
Overall "Find something else if available"

At first very fast, then was over subscribed and got REALLY SLOW speeds and REALLY BAD customer service. Finally got fixed when area was upgraded but again bad customer support. Only good service is MediacommCHAD on this forum....and he is REALLY GOOD!

Copyright policy is 3-strikes and the turn it off FOREVER and no way to fight it.

Also price is HIGH. 12/1 is $60/month; 20/2 is $75/month and 50/5 is $95/month. DSL would be much cheaper at $20 if ATT served my house.

EDIT: 17 Feb 2013 - Slow speeds again. Speeds are down 30-60% from subscribed package. Setting up an appointment was the only part that went smoothly. The tech never showed up. When I called Mediacomm to ask what happened I was told they can't find me as a customer and to call a different number. I call the other number and the automated line tells me I am scheduled from 8-5pm; take note the time is now 515pm. Finally I get a live operator who tells me I am scheduled for anytime which could be 8-8pm. My question then is why have two real people and two automated machines tell me 8-5pm.

Also to update the review that now my intro price is over I will be paying over $125 a month for 50 down and 5 up (ultra package) if I have my own modem.

EDIT: 12 SEP 2014 - Not Reliable Speed. Package has been auto upgraded by Mediacom for "free" to 150 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. I supposedly pay for the 50/5 price package and pay $75/month for only internet. Speeds at night are not consistent but will max at 40/6. But during the day I can see speeds at 80/12. But I am assured it is not the Mediacom network, either local or backbone and I am told to only run speed tests direct to my modem and still get the same results. Mediacom is a continuous hassle! But no other choice. MONOPOLY!

EDIT: 19 Sep 2014- WORST TECH SUPPORT EVER:

The tech finally came to fix my slow service.

The tech called me at 630pm for an appt window of 5-7 pm and tried to get out of coming to the house and said he would have someone monitor my line for speeds. This was unacceptable and I told him to come to my house. The tech tried to bully me into not coming so he could get off work early.

We he arrived he sat in his truck for 10 mins on his cell phone and then spent 5 minutes running speed tests and pinged Google from my PC.

He didn't even touch his tools, any equipment, my house box, or the modem.

The speed test he ran is this:

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3773034225

I am provisioned for 150 down and 20 up.

He says he will put a maintenance request in and left. Mediacom wasted my time rushing home for work for nothing.

EDIT 27 Sep 2014:

Mediacom fixed my line issue by adjusting the power levels. BUT they are again having a utilization issue during peak hours and they will not admit it. It is like they are a drug addict and admitting they have a problem is too hard for them to take the first step.

Even worse is the one good part of Mediacom was "MediacomChad" for tech support on this forum. That "user" seems to no longer be the same person or even "one" person. All instant messages between this user has been fragmented and incoherent. Some canned responses, and others that are also lost in a conversation as if more than one person logs into the account and tried to complete for another representative where they had left off from another shift.

Mediacom is TRASH!

member for 3.6 years, 642 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Robert Cox

@sbcglobal.net

Worst service I have ever experienced

Absolutely the worst customer service I have ever encountered in any industry. They install, internet works for an hour then bottoms out to less than DSL speed. I call and I'm told they will come out tomorrow meaning another day off work for which I will not be paid. When I ask to speak with a supervisor I am told I don't qualify to speak to one. Never heard such crap ever!!

They fix it tomorrow or give me my money back and I'll be looking for anyone interested in filing a class action suit based on consumer fraud.

Review

Thank you for the kind words. I would be happy to look over your account to see if there are any promotions available for you.
kbrackley

join:2002-12-07
Springfield, MO

Not sure what is going on here

I had mc cable installed for about a month now and no complaints. I leave town for two days and come home to find my 20/1.5 working oddly at 3 down and 2.69 up.

Several speedtests later, and removing my router and connecting a laptop directly to the mc modem I get similar results...3 or 4 down and 2 to 3 up.

called tech support and I'm told I have to wait for 5 days to get anyone to check this out...they say "everything is fine...80% of what I'm supposed to have..." but even with a single laptop directly connected I get the same results.

I can't work from home this way and if its not fixed will consider this a breach of contract and move back to AT&T.
brantman

join:2014-08-14
Fortson, GA
·AT&T Southeast

It Could Be Worse

I can't necessarily speak on the speeds that Mediacom has now and I am sure that my experience from 6 years ago isn't relevant but it irks me to hear about the bad customer service there and how the grass is so much greener at other companies in the area. As someone who used to have Mediacom in Columbus and can only get AT&T now (moved to Fortson), the grass is certainly not greener. Not to rag on another company in your review but Mediacom is way better than AT&T and it's options. We are talking anywhere from 6 to 30+ times better in some cases. On a good day AT&T will get you 1.5 Mbps of the 3 you are set up for and an upload at .3 Mbps. So before you freak out about the customer service and "slow speeds," you should know what the other options are really like. Cable outclasses phone line supported DSL. Oh and the Uverse thing won't live up to the hype. The max speed will be 18 Mbps and will more than like stay about 12 until they max the system and it goes down to 6-8 Mbps. Sorry for the spiel but I would hate to see someone make a mistake because they think they can get better when that isn't the truth.

NateStew

@173.30.54.x

Agree with all of the above

This review lays out everything that Mediacom is about. They monopolize areas and they know it because they treat you as such. All it would take is one company to move into Des Moines and people would flock away from Mediacom.

I went through the same tech issues. No call no show multiple times by techs. Each time my appointment was rescheduled to a date without even a phone call to see if I was available that date.

If you are happy with Mediacom now, I assure you, it will only be a matter of time before you are not.

I will say that after 5 calls to figure out what happened with my appointment, I finally got an associate who gave me my month of service free. Still no appointment though, they are just going to mail me the hardware so I can install myself.

One word for Mediacom, TERRIBLE!

Hopefully Verizon FIOS comes to the area soon. I would be more than happy to pay the contract cancellation fee to never have to deal with Mediacom another day.

Radio_Guy
Field Engineer
Clive, IA

Mediacom Chad

The MediacomChad account is definitely run by several people. Here is an excerpt from a PM I had with him:

2013-10-09 15:11:12 : From MediacomChad
My MediacomChad account was started by one person, but as the team grew and the account became more popular I have let a couple other key members have access. Most of these members I have trained and have the same knowledge and access I do so no matter if it is me working, or one of my team members you should get the same level of support. This allows questions to get answered 7 days a week, from 6a-12p CST, whereas if it was just me it would limit the amount I could do here. It is also important to note that I do manually read over nearly every interaction that is made on this site myself so I can know what was going on and correct any incorrect information that was given out.
The bitterness of poor quality lingers longer than the sweetness of low cost. (usually)

Review by Technicholas See Profile

• Location: Winterset,Madison,IA
Good "150 MB Down and 20 MB Up"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "150 MB Down and 20 MB Up is great"

I used to have Centurylink service 12mb/896kb since 2002 I moved into a area that had Mediacom and Centurylink could only offer me 7mb/896kb I signed up for the 105mb download and 10mb upload and love it, MediacomChad helped me through the process and I appreciate him for helping me through the install process and making sure everything looked good before after the install. I get around 105mbps-120mbps on average download, and 10-15mbps on the upload no slowdowns etc. They provided a Thompson modem. I am finally glad to get off DSL and on to something that is fast and doesn't lag when I get all my devices on the service.

Service has went downhill use to be great

1/2/13 Update : Not getting the speeds I am paying for 6mb at 7pm at night. Tech support has been reluctant to fixing the problem.

9/24/14 Update : Running great 8 downstreams bonded getting around 170/10mbps.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Ultra 105

That's great to hear everything is working well for you Technicholas. If you do need anything else moving forward don't hesitate to contact me here and I would be happy to further assist you.
Technicholas
join:2010-11-11
Winterset, IA

Re: Ultra 105

This is what I appricate about Mediacom your on and active on a Saturday at 11:23PM at night (CDT) appreciate it again MediacomChad!

Re: Ultra 105

You're welcome! I'm happy I can help.

Review by iowaboy See Profile

• Location: Fairfield,Jefferson,IA
Good "Fast connection"
Bad "Cost "
Overall "Fiber available here within city limits but Mediacom extends out to those ourside"

·Windstream
·WildBlue
09-18-2014 After being away from Mediacom for a few years and changed to local Telco DSL which provided better reliability at that time along with better speeds for download and upload. Since then we had moved to different city and had signed up with National Telco for 2 phone lines plus DSL. Didn't know that Mediacom did service outside of city limits where we now lived. After fighting with the National Telco over DSL speeds for over a year did call Mediacom to sign up for Internet only. From call to installation was 2 days. Right away speeds are where we can use Netflix and watch Youtube videos and listen to music all day long without any issues. Did for about a week had a issue with speeds dropped lower than what was ordered but not to a level that really would notice without checking Speedtest.net. Made contact with Mediacom Tech here on DSL reports and after rebooting modem about 7 times over and over the modem did draw a file that allowed the speeds to go back to original levels.

The reason for this updated review is that Mediacom has come a long way in trying to make things right for the customer. The reasons for us leaving a few years ago and has been fixed. The speeds now being offered are great. So far we have not reached the caps so I can not say anything about them at this time. At the moment if someone has a issue I highly recommend that they contact one of the techs here on DSL Reports. They will do everything within their powers to make it right.

11-7-2007 Still the best for the money available. Loss of movie channels to make room for more channels is not being received very well, even by me. My connection for internet seems to be very strong and have very few down times. Usually when internet down Mediacom gets someone on it real fast. DSL is offered in this community but the cost to speed level is quite high and htye do not offer any speeds close to Mediacoms 8000/512. Other communities have more to offer so for them offerings are more matched to each other. For me Mediacom is still the best.

5-4-2007 So far still the best for value here in this small town. DSL is available thru the phone company, but still not up to Mediacoms standards. I have had no problems with my connection and it has always been there for me and all the computers we have connected to the line (7).

10/30/2006 I still go with what I have said before. I still get great speeds except when AT&T has problems. I still say compared to the local dsl cable is the way to go. The local phone company now offers tv along with their broadband (if you call 768/256 any speed for$55.95 a month fast) I have done alot of work on internet problems for those unlucky to mhave the local dsl and after they see what my speeds are they switch over to Mediacom and are real happy so far. When i compare the spped to cost ratio between dsl and cable here where I live cable still wins. When the phone company gets their heads straight and really offer real speeds for the price then maybe cable will have a challenge but till then, what can I say, cable wins. ( I also get the phone company's goat when they try to get me to change and I pull out my speed tests for days and evenings and they can't beat Mediacom :>) each person has their own tests and prefrence so compare before you buy.

12/15/2005 Speeds, both up and down for me have been great. A constant 4600/243 all the time. It may be that the node is not overloaded. Tech support has answers the line within 3 minutes and has always been very courtious and answered my questions. When techs have had to do a onsite they were fast at finding the problem and were always interested in my observations and any data that I may have. The only other broadband in my town can't even compare on speed and price. Mediacom remains the most cost effective media here.

Customer service and tech support very friendly. The only time that service techs had to come to the house they were very friendly and effiecent. Even took time to look at the information (tracerts, modem speeds and signal), and checked all connections at pedistal and splitter. Even helped me find the source of abnormal current on the line (bad digital converter) so another tech did not have to make a trip. I was on dialup before moving into mediacom area so speed is very thrilling.

We had Direct TV before and really miss it since we were getting all channels available for the same price as we are getting now for all digital with Starz package. So my family feels that this price could be alot better and feel the tv portion is over priced.

As far as the internet part the price may be in line as before we had 2 phone lines and 2 isp's which put that cost at $60 a month.

I have sent others to mediacom for internet and would advise anyone to sign up for Mediacom Online services.

Update:4/30/2004= Remains a fast connection 236 up and 2695 down on the average for me. The one time that I had to call tech support they were very friendly and listened to what I had to say. They even sent a repair crew out and they found problems with the line up the road which cured all the problems with disconnections. I still would recommend cable to anyone in this area as it has the best cost/benefit ratio available.

Update:12/11/2004 Service remains good. Had trouble last weekend with loss of internet and slow speeds. Tech support was very helpfull and polite. Had a bad modem and router which I had replacements here at home already. Speed picked up after a few restarts and everything back to normal if not even better than before. I am running 7 computers on this line through a router and even with the kids being online and my downloading linux iso's my speeds remain aroung 2850 down and 236 up.

member for 10.6 years, 2183 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

BJG

@173.29.89.x

Mediacom quality vs price

Regarding TV, how would you compare Mediacom with satellite? Like many, I'm trying to sort out the value propositions of Mediacom, DTV and Dish.