Mediacom page on DSLReports

Review by RezzIA See Profile

• Location: Bettendorf,Scott,IA
Good "Absolutely nothing. "
Bad "Slow speeds, constant outages, horrible customer service."
Overall "Would be out of business with any competition."

This is my honest review as a fed up consumer. I've been using mediacom as my ISP now for a couple years, and it's been nothing but a big headache.

I don't get the speeds I pay for, there are constant outages, the internet will be unreliable/slow *every* night between 12am and 6am due to their "maintenance", prices keep going up up UP... and when technical problems arise talking to their support team is like talking to a brick wall. It is among the worst service and customer service I have ever experienced from any company in my entire life.

The only reason they are in business is because they have a monopoly on most rural areas, and people don't have a choice. I feel with any competition, they would go out of business. Right now they are only in business because there is no other choice for many of us.

In the years ahead with Google fiber and big cities getting smart about their internet access networks, I think poorly consumer rated companies like Mediacom will fade away. Look what happened to AOL and other dial up ISPs when broadband and DSL started getting popular. Same thing is going to happen to companies like Mediacom when cities start getting smart about their fiber networks. In the meantime, I feel bad for consumers who have to put up with this horrible sham of a company.

I could go on and on here but I'll stop. If you don't have to use mediacom, don't. I'm sure their support staff will chime in here with the typical canned responses, but when you try to talk to them 1 on 1, it feels like you're talking to a robot who doesn't listen.

I would seriously rate them 0 out of 5 stars.

And as an added bonus to this review, I am literally moving to get out of their service area. If that doesn't tell you how bad of an ISP they are, I don't know how else to convince you.

member for 23 days, 23 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MediacomChad

Support

RezzaIA (MMOloser),

I can understand you frustration with the service issues you have been having, including but not limited to the maintenance that we perform in the early morning hours. I assure you it was not my intention to mislead you in any way. Our Social Media Team, myself included, are here to assist our customers so they do not have to call and wait on hold for a prolonged amount of time.

I have went back through our conversations here, as well as the ones you have had with our Twitter support and I can see that we have offered to assist you with any service issues you have had, but thus far we have not been given any account information in order to do so. You mentioned here in this review that you are having service issues including slow and intermittent service. We would hate to lose you as a customer and we (Our Social Media Team) will more than happy to look into the issues you are having from here and work to address them accordingly.

If you would like to get the issues you are having addressed, feel free to send me an IM with your account or phone number, or provide the information to our Twitter support.
RezzIA

join:2014-03-28

Re: Support

Haven't reached out to customer support? Really? That's odd since I'm on the telephone with them at least 3x a week and have had several techs out to the house in the last year trying to get this problem fixed to no avail.

Finally one of the techs admitted it wasn't a problem with my equipment. He said the area was waaaaay over capacity and that's why everyone was having connection issues.

Not to mention you and some other support agents were sending me to the blatantly wrong URL to check for local maintenance (which has, at least, been resolved now thanks to your honesty).

Chad, I respect your ability to help and I think you deserve to work for a much better company, but sometimes you have to realize that Mediacom is the lowest rated consumer ISP for a reason.

Us customers don't just make this stuff up to spite you. The service is poor and the support is even worse.

The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in most cases with you guys.

Review by potato See Profile

• Location: Monroeville,Monroe,AL
Good "When the service works it is fast, local techs are really nice"
Bad "Constant modem disconnects, service goes out for hours, techs never fix anything"
Overall "Avoid this company if you have a choice of providers"

Written 2013-02-21
----------------------------
I've been with Mediacom internet for a little over six years, only because I don't have a choice. When I moved here and signed up I had both television and internet service. After frequent TV problems I dropped Mediacom for TV after my contract was up and went with DirecTV. DirecTV is disgustingly expensive, but I haven't had problems over the last two years, except for very few 2 or 3 minute interruptions when weather is really bad (and it has to be really really bad for this to happen). If there was a better option for a more reasonable price, I would gladly leave DirecTV.

Mediacom internet service is a cruel joke where I live. They are more expensive than other ISPs and can't seem to provide solid service. Speeds are all over the place, though latency is generally OK. A few times a month latency increases and I get a lot of dropped packets for an hour or two.

Starting in June 2012 my modem reboots itself several times a day. Sometimes it gets bad enough that it just reboots non-stop for hours - the logs are full of T3 and T4 timeouts.

I am on my 5th modem since June 2012 - 2 Mediacom rentals and 3 of my own. The techs finally agreed its probably not the modem.

The techs that have come out to my house have tried just about everything. I have a new line from the pole to the house, a new line from the junction box to the modem. No splitters, just a grounding terminal in the junction box. I think they finally realize the problem is on their end, but they don't seem to have the capability to troubleshoot and fix the problem. At the time of this post, the problem has been ongoing, everyday, for almost 9 months.

There is currently a ten page post concerning this problem on the Mediacom support forums. The typical response when inquiring about news from the people 'working' on this problem is "We're looking into it".

Last month, one of their routers was blocking access to their own sites. I had to use a proxy to post on their support forum.

Telephone support is generally useless. Instead of actually trying to see if there is an area problem (ie. looking to see how many modems are offline or querying the CMTS), they schedule a tech to come out days later. The tech ends up calling and saying, "There was an area problem that we fixed. Is everything working OK now?" There seems to be no communication between their phone support and local techs. Phone support never knows about area-wide problems. I feel really bad for my local techs. We are on a first name basis now. Even the local tech ops supervisor has been to my house to 'apologize'.

I've had a lot of ISPs as I use to move around a lot. Mediacom is without a doubt the worst.

I wish I could drop this service, but where I am there is no other high speed service available ... yet. The local telco is rolling out 25mb DSL in some areas nearby - that would be plenty of speed for me. Unfortunately it looks like I am stuck with Mediacom for quite a while. You can bet, however, as soon as the telco offers high speed on my street I will switch in a heart beat.

Update 2013-07-17
----------------------------
After 13 months the problems still exist and I still have no alternative for broadband. If you have a choice in providers, my recommendation to avoid this company like the plague still stands. Terrible.

I see why they ranked last place by Consumer Reports and JD Power & Associates for the last few years

Update 2013-11-13
----------------------------
After 17 months they still can't get this service working properly for more than a couple of days at a time. But because they have no competition in this area, I am stuck paying for overpriced bad service if I want half working internet.

Things are even getting worse now. The brief disconnects are becoming 20+ minute outages. Pathetic.

Update 2014-03-26
----------------------------
21 months into this and Mediacom still cannot fix their problems. Unfortunately it is still the only choice in town.

Update 2014-04-09
----------------------------
'Corporate Escalations' scheduled a tech (why??) to come to my door and tell me the problem is not here. I could have sworn we established that over a year ago, several times. It took 2 weeks for that pointless tech visit.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Hello potato,

I completely understand your frustration with the level of service in which you are have received thus far. I assure you we do want to help you. Can you send me an IM with your account or phone number so I can look into these issues and address the issue properly.

»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSuppor···c=7709.0

That's me

Re: Service

I assure you, we are working on this issue. I have looked over the escalation that the Moderators on the Support Forums submitted and Area Management is working diligently to get you the service you are paying for. I see that we were given an update today and are still working on this. As soon as we get an update, I will either reply to you on this site or the Moderators on the Forums will followup with you there.

Re: Service

"Area Management is working diligently to get you the service you are paying for"

I was told this was escalated past my local area management. They obviously don't have the ability to fix the issue. Why was I lied to?

»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSuppor···sg112653

Anonymous
join:2004-06-01
IA

Re: Service

Escalated higher or not it makes no difference, the bottom line is field techs are always the same and it's up to them to fix your problem. You can contact corporate and they will escalate it but in the end it does not matter that much. Intermittent upstream SNR issues are hard to pinpoint most of the time.

Good news is they will work on it as long as they can see an issue from their end (as in packet loss, signal issue, noise etc).
I speak for myself, not my employer.

2 edits

Re: Service

Then its time to can the current techs and hire new ones with experience. Why even bother "escalating" the issue if its the same people trying to figure it out?

Don't get me wrong, everyone I've met has been really nice and they genuinely seem sympathetic, but over 8 months with the same problem says it all - incompetent and inefficient. Bring someone else in to get a fresh perspective.

----------
Support: "Escalate this issue"

Tech Ops: "We already wrote the issue on the board in yellow AND underlined it. I guess we'll have to go to the highest escalation ... get me the red pen!"

Management: "LOL, he's still paying full price"

Share Holders: "LOL, raise prices"
----------

I noticed your review of the company you work for. That seems pretty shady. I can't believe DSLReports OR Mediacom would allow that. It certainly doesn't make Mediacom look very good to have a self-admitted shill (Mediacom employee) posting reviews.

I do thank you, however, for letting me know the truth about escalations. It gives me a little more insight into the company.

*** I will say today (so far) has been the best day I've had in weeks ... just one timeout that I am aware of.
*** Update - back to frequent modem reboots

mac8535

@bardstowncable.net

mediacom

I have the same problems that I'm reading here. Service goes out , call support- no other outages in your area.
Schedule a tech to come days later, nite before tech is to come special support calls and explains how sorry they are and have found the problem and we are good as new. Hang up the phone and out goes the Internet. Same bull, PLUS THEY ARE RUDE AND HAVE NO IDEA WHAT CUSTOMER SERVICE IS ALL ABOUT????

Re: mediacom

mac8535,

I would be happy to look into these service issues you are having and get them resolved for you. The customer service you have described is definitely not what the company wants to provide and I will do what I can to make everything right for you. Feel free to private message me on here with your account or phone number to get started.

whamel
billhamel .net
join:2002-05-09
Hinsdale, IL
·Verizon Broadban..

Mediacom has an overall terrible network...

When I lived in Iowa City, IA going to U of Iowa, I refused to get Mediacom at the 3 different residences I lived at while in school. In fact, except for freshman year (where i got 1 Gbps in the dorm), I used Qwest the local telco. It is now called CenturyLink, but back then the DSL was the way to go in Iowa City. Mediacom was WAY oversubscribed in Iowa City, and having college students on those mediacom lines meant major congestion, HIGH latency, HIGH packet loss and a overall shitty service.
As for TV those 3 years, Qwest bundled DirecTV with their DSL so we got a good discount as well.
Since I also game, I need a reliable conection 99% of the time or gaming online becomes a chore.
GOOD luck!

hjg
Hinsdale, IL - »www.billhamel.net

Still having issues after 21 months

21 months into these problems and Mediacom still cannot fix their problems. Pathetic bunch of thieves. Unfortunately, Mediacom is the only provider in town, I think this is why they don't care. They know they have a monopoly and people are going to use them even with all the problems and lack of support.

Re: Still having issues after 21 months

I am so sorry, I know the frustration and pain that comes from having these guys as the ONLY provider in town.

I recently discovered they've been ripping me off since August, hiding certain things on my bill, so I can relate to the 'thieves' part as well. Shady, duplicitous thieves
RezzIA

join:2014-03-28
·Mediacom
Exact same issues with these Mediacom scammers. Completely horrible internet service. They shouldn't even be allowed to call themselves an ISP.

I'm a very avid gamer but ever since I moved to Iowa, it's almost impossible to game online with the constant lag, packet loss, and disconnects. The nightly outages between 12 and 6 every single night are absolutely ridiculous.

I never had these issues back home with Time Warner Cable. I am literally considering moving just to get out of a Mediacom service area. It's really THAT bad.
kfunkjr

join:2009-12-18
Hiawatha, IA

Crappy service

I have the Ultra 50 service. That would be 50 megabit which translates into a wee bit over 6 megaBytes. Right now I am downloading a file and getting 300 kiloBytes which translates to abut 1/18 of the advertised speed.

I truly do understand overhead and all of that but even on good days I only manage a max of 3MB. On rare occasions it will spike up to 4MB. However every night after 4pm local time bandwidth drops massively. The 300kB mentioned above is about normal. This has gotten really bad over the last few months.

All Mediacom wants to do is send out a tech. Guess what, the tech only comes during the day when bandwidth is normal...if you can call half of what you pay for normal. Over time they have replace the cable inside the house and from the pole to the house. It has made no difference.

This is a company that is so afraid of competition that they spent several million dollars lobbying against the small town where I live trying to get a vote on a city owned cable service. I live in Hiawatha which is attached to Cedar Rapids, IA. Hiawatha put a cable initiative on the ballot a few years ago. Between actual money spent and free ad space give to the persons lobbying against the vote....you would think they have something to be scared of.

I think it is about time to try and convincee the city council to put this back on the ballot.

Review by Grandpasnorz See Profile

• Location: Orange Beach,Baldwin,AL
Good "Nice HD Picture on some channels"
Bad "Dont honor promotions as agreed, tech support is terrible, service is always up and down"
Overall "Go with ANYONE else as this company is terrible"

I have had service for over a year. They did not honor the promotions as agreed. Countless billing problems. Service is up and down all the time. About a 1 month earliest date for a tech to show up on average. Then, they no show. Internet and TV has gone down for multiple days before. DVR's have died. I get tiling all the time and gave up complaining about it as it never was fixed since install. Sadly, where I live, this really is the only option. I'm going to move JUST to get away from Mediacom. Mediacom Chad on the forums is about the only person at the company that is any good who can actually help.

member for 2.3 years, 28 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MediacomChad

Service

Thank you for contacting me here about this issue. I see that I am working with you via IM. As soon as I have any information regarding this issue, I will followup with you.

Review by twhiting9275 See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,Black Hawk,IA
Good "There's good?"
Bad "Thieving , duplicitous actions"
Overall "Look for ANY other provider"

********************
*Updated April 2014*
********************

Taking a look through some of the other reviews for Mediacom, I have to agree that most of them are dead on, and speak to the level of incompetence, thievery, and all out crooked actions taken by the individuals @ Mediacom over the past few years. My own thoughts, and experience with this company, over the past 12 years.

Firstly, this company has NO respect for you as a customer. They will pull each and every sneaky and duplicitous action to pilfer more money from you to them.. A perfect example of this:

In 2012, after hearing they were going to start charging people for 'cap' overages (that's duplicitous in itself, but another story), I called them up, weighed the options and told them I wanted to be signed up for a 50m/s package. No worries, they said, we got it all done and signed up, and the agreed upon price was $75/month, once the special period was over.

Fast forward to the end of the special period. My $75/month suddenly rose to $95/month. I double checked the bill, talked to misc. individuals, was assured that I was only receiving 50m/s repeatedly, and that was the actual price.

After looking at my options again, I was informed that the package was ACTUALLY a 100m/s package, and that I had been on it since the day my 'special' period expired. Ok, so, I checked the invoices. Lo and behold, they still had this labeled as an Ultra 50. Why? Well, of course, they wanted me to NOT call in and drop the package!

So, for 8 months now, I've been (over)paying Mediacom. Their response? We won't refund you jack, we have the right to do this, etc.

This is as duplicitous as it gets, this is shady thievery at it's finest, right here

Adding to this, the level of (in)competent support, starting with Chad right here on these forums. Claiming certain things are needed when they're not, trying to scam customers out of more $$$ when they're not needed to be, trying to basically nickel and dime their customers for everything they've got.

We won't even begin to discuss the multiple 6+hour long outages that clients can BET they're going to receive every year. Last one? 4/4/14. Before that? January of 14, with 24+ hours of uninterrupted downtime, because these incompetents can't even THINK to do their jobs right.

If you're all about downtime, dealing with outsourced support, having your money (literally) stolen from your pocket, then look to Mediacon . These people are as shady as it gets.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Mediacom Support

Hello,

I see Drew from the Mediacom support forums was working with you earlier today. The overall signal levels to the area and your modem look good. However, your modem has logged a few resets recently. This doesn't seem to be happening to other modem nearby through. There is a service call scheduled for a tech to check our equipment and connections on site a bit closer to help narrow this down. The moderators on the Mediacom forum be following up with you there once the service call has been completed. If you need anything in the meantime, feel free to message me here or one of the moderators on our support forum.
Expand your moderator at work

JSTaylor

@mchsi.com

poor service, both technical and customer

mediacom has been a terrible service for me. low bandwidth, expensive, and drops constantly. on top of that, the modem i rent from them is very poor, and old.

really, if there were ANY other alternatives, i would drop this crappy company in a heart beat. even their HD channels are poor quality, and constantly cut out sound or the picture pixelates and then has to go black to reset itself.

when streaming on netflix, with a 30mbps connection hardwired to my xbox one with the correct ports forwarded and the ip assigned to the xbox, i still can't manage to get better than a 360/480i image quality with poor stereo sound.

it wouldn't be so bad, if i wasn't paying 80+ dollars for service that is so far below "par" that it makes me just sick at my stomach every time i power up a net device. I do hear that next year, DSL may be available in my area, and despite the significant speed decrease, i will gladly switch for a slower, but at least consistent service that i will be able to use.

mediacom is a terrible company, with sub standard services, poor equipment, and completely lack a sense of urgency when addressing concerns. avoid at all costs and only use WHEN there is no one else to turn to, and even then, i just got LTE in my area and am thinking about turning my phone into a hot spot or getting one of those hot spots from verizon, knowing its STUPID expensive, just to get a service that will allow me to complete at least one match of COD Ghosts or BF4 on my xbox one without dropping off and getting kicked out of xbox live.

man i hate mediacom

Just adding to this

It would appear that my own review was too early. JUST when I thought they couldn't get any worse, they went and did it.

On January 18th, at 730 am (CST), my internet went out. Surprised? Not so much, it happens from time to time. I do the usual, reset router, cable modem, etc... No dice

1/2 hour later, still nothing. I call mediacom. Support (oddly enough, US) acts all uppity because I tell him it's only been a half hour , says he's heard nothing in the past "half hour" (like half hour is nothing), puts me through to internet support. Still no notification... But wait, they check again, and there it is.

Asked for an ETA?
"Usually, we try to have these things resolved in 3 hours"
Like this is NORMAL!
Ok, ok, so I go to bed (weekends are my 3rd shift days)
Around 2pm, still nothing.
Around 4, well, things began to trickle back on
5? Right back off
No response, or actual usability again until 2am.
We're talking 18 / 24 hours of downtime. That's how long they had me down.
What's better? This affected IA, AZ, CA, MN, MO and IL... NOT a small market here

Mediacom loves to be cheap, absolutely

Review by scott_fender See Profile

• Location: Big Rock,Stewart,TN
Good "Nothing to put here."
Bad "Rude customer service, can't keep their appointment times, almost no service"
Overall "Once another provider becomes available, I will switch."

At first we had ordered a cable plus internet package. Every month, the bill would continue to climb. So we dropped the cable & kept internet. As it stands, I couldn't be more happier with my satellite provider.

A few years ago, we were trying to pay our bill online. Because someone typed in one wrong number, our service was cut. We got a warning in an email & was told we would have 2 weeks to pay the bill. The next day, when we were home from work, the internet had been cut off. We thought we had time, so after work the next day, we were going to rectify the problem. We didn't have the chance. Once we got with a customer service rep & the problem was figured out & paid over the phone, we were then told that we would get it hooked back up in 2 to 3 weeks. In the mean time, we had to pay that 2 to 3 weeks of no service.

About a year ago, we started having problems with service. It was in & out. Frequently. When we called about service, we were told that there was no problem. When we asked about the modem, we were told that it was still a good modem. Because of where we live, Mediacom is the only internet service provider for us. Recently the internet service has been on & off about every 30 minutes or less. I decided at this point to try to call again. I was first told that there was no problem. They continue asking, "Have you tried unplugging the device & plugging it back in"? Of course I have & it would only work about 15 minutes. So I called back, and back, and back. Finally they acknowledged that I had a problem & would send a tech out the next week. I sit here all day. Waiting. I missed one call from the tech & tried calling back. On the 4th attempt, I left a message. I wait for an hour past my time, then call customer service. One person did not want to deal with me & I was transferred to another. The customer service rep argued with me about the tech calling me back. She said he called 3 times. He did not. Not only was my appointment cancelled, now I have to wait until next week for a tech to come back out. My fees were waved for today, but am I still going to pay for unsatisfactory service until the tech comes next week? It is so frustrating for me to pay for internet service that is completely, utterly, unsatisfactory. Not to mention the rude customer service reps when I call. Mediacom does not believe the customer is right. It seems to me, as long as they have your payment, they don't have to provide any kind of service.

I am continually looking for any other provider in my area. I want to switch over as soon as one becomes available. Would even be proud if I could be the 1st customer in this area.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Hello scott_fender,

Thank you for contacting me here about the issues you are having. Just by what you are saying here, it looks like you have been through a lot with our service. I assure you this is not the level of service we expect any of our customers to experience. I will be happy to look into this issue for you from here and work towards resolving your issues so you are able to enjoy the services you are paying for. Can you send me an IM with your account or phone number?
scott_fender

join:2014-02-04
Big Rock, TN

Re: Service

I tried to IM you my number. It said I had to wait 8 hrs. to IM you.

Re: Service

Did you just setup this profile on DSLreports? If so it typically makes you wait 8 hours before being able to private message someone. I'm not entirely sure why. Send the message over to me as soon as you can.
scott_fender

join:2014-02-04
Big Rock, TN

Re: Service

I tried to IM you. I don't know if it went through or not. I'm new to this site, so I'm still figuring these features out.

Re: Service

Scott_Fender, thank you for letting me help you. I am glad we were able to resolve this and if you have any other problems going forward please let me know!

Review by Lazy Senior See Profile

• Location: Cobden,Union,IL
Good "Internet is Reliable"
Bad "Getting Existing Prices Impossible vis Email or Internet"
Overall "Hiding Prices not Good Business"

I have had Mediacom Internet for almost 2 years. I have had Directv for almost 2 years. Both contracts are up next month. I would like to save some $$$ as prices for TV and Internet are getting ridiculous. I had been thinking about dropping Directv and getting a Mediacom Internet/TV package. However it seems impossible to get a price from Mediacom. First IMed MediacomChad. He gave me the BS he always uses - got to have someone call you on the phone - and of course get a sales pitch. So then I go to the Mediacom email sales/support web page and give my account number, address etc. I ask for prices. The Mediacom website says they will get back to me in a day or two. That was a week ago and still no answer. It appears that Mediacom does not want you to know prices, especially existing prices. I asked a couple months ago about getting existing prices on the Mediacom forum here on this website in the Mediacom forums. MediacomChad said he could not give them to me because they change monthly. WTF, a company that changes prices monthly?

Anyway I just wanted to get Mediacom prices so I could compare them with Directv/Dish, DSl and Wisper Internet. Mediacom is not proud of their prices and wants to keep them secret unless you talk and get a sales pitch from a Rep on the telephone. All other companies I listed will give me prices on the internet or email. Mediacom will not.

Disgraceful and IMO Mediacom is trying to hide sticker shock.

UPDATE

Mediacom customer service is Horrible. Mediacom CSRs are a waste of Time. I have been trying to get Mediacom TV prices for 3 weeks. 2 Weeks ago I emailed Mediacom Support thru their Support webpage. I had to leave my name, account #, phone # etc, and the webpage said they would get back to me within 2-3 days. »mediacomcable.com/site/about_con···mail.php

Over TWO weeks later I get a call from a Mediacom Rep. I was told I was not eligible for any TV promos since I was already a Internet customer. The CSR gave me Mediacom TV prices for the comparable service I have with Directv. Mediacoms prices were QUITE a bit higher even though my Directv service has many more channels. I told the Rep forget it, she put me on hold and a Retention CSR came on the phone. I was then quoted a price of about $20 less a month then what I got from the first Rep. This still was higher than Directv. I then asked about an Internet promo since I would like a faster internet service than what I have now -15/1mbps. I was given existing prices, no Internet promos for a 2 year customer about to get out of contract. I asked the retention fellow to send all these prices to my email address so I could contemplate my options. He said sure. That was 3 days ago. I figure getting these prices in an email are zero. I am starting to understand why Mediacom customer service is rated so low.

My advice - Forget Mediacom TV service - there are MUCH better options and cheaper too without the frustration of dealing with Mediacom Support. Mediacom treats prospective TV customers like they have a monopoly on TV service Fortunately they do not.

ATTN Chad: Please do not give me that canned response: "please feel free to send me an IM with your account or phone number BS

member for 2.2 years, 745 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MediacomChad

Service

I do understand your frustration with not being able to see the prices on our website. What I previously said is true. We do not want to mislead any of our customers, for this reason, we go over all pricing over the phone. Also promotional pricing can, and sometimes does change on a monthly basis. I will be more than happy to have a representative reach out to you when that department is in next to go over pricing options for existing customers if you would like. Please feel free to send me an IM with a good contact number and time with which you will be available and I will make sure this is done.

Re: Service

If Mediacom does not want to mislead, why are EXISTING prices not on the internet? When I go to the Mediacom promotional web »mediacomcable.com/site/order.php page I MUST give my address and zip code to get the promotional prices. NO EXISTING prices are given. I can not make an intelligent decision without knowing what existing prices are. Mediacom therefore is no longer being considered by me for TV service and I may also just cancel Internet service when the $15 no TV service fee kicks in after my promo period ends next month. I do have other options other than Mediacom for Internet and certainly Directv and Dish offers are very interesting.

Radio_Guy
Field Engineer
Clive, IA
I do have a problem with mediacom not disclosing pricing. If the pricing can change monthly, then so can the information on their website.

Just a reminder to Chad and the Mediacom legal team, IT IS THE LAW TO DISCLOSE PRICES IN WRITING AT ANY TIME UPON REQUEST!

CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS
TITLE 47 -- TELECOMMUNICATION
CHAPTER I -- FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION
SUBCHAPTER C -- BROADCAST RADIO SERVICES
PART 76--CABLE TELEVISION SERVICE

§76.1602 Customer Service - General Information

(b) Effective July 1, 1993, the cable operator shall provide written information on each of the following areas at the time of installation of service, at least annually to all subscribers, and at any time upon request:

(1) Products and services offered;
(2) Prices and options for programming services and conditions of subscription to programming and other services;
(3) Installation and service maintenance policies;
(4) Instructions on how to use the cable service;
(5) Channel positions of programming carried on the system; and
(6) Billing and complaint procedures, including the address and telephone number of the local franchise authority's cable office.
The bitterness of poor quality lingers longer than the sweetness of low cost. (usually)

Re: Service

If this is true, then Mediacom has repeatedly been breaking the law. I have been trying to get TV/Internet EXISTING prices from many different Mediacom sources including MediacomChad for a very long time and can NOT get any prices in writing. I want the prices in ZIP Code 62920. I have asked many times. Many times. Chad - send them to me via lazysenior@mediacombb.net. STOP BREAKING THE LAW!!!! One has to wonder WHY are Existing Mediacom prices impossible for a customer to get? Please no more BS excuses Chad.

Radio_Guy
Field Engineer
Clive, IA

Re: Service

Just so you know, "in writing" most likely means they will mail you a letter containing the information.

Re: Service

or in the contract you signed somewhere

Re: Service

I never signed a contract. It was done on the telephone and I was told I was being recorded...

honestly

@comcast.net

Re: Service

Did a tech come to your house? if so they are required by their supervisor to get a signature! They also do voice contracts over the phone! As you have noticed, Mediacom relies heavily on Marketing strategies! They will do everything they can to get money from customers and from their own employees.
They use to give customer Used TV remote controls and if the customer lost it or broke it, they would charge the customer $50. They finally got so many complaints {or forced some how} they now give new ones! They also would give their customers very old modems....and if the modems were misplaced or lost by the tech they got charged! Not the used price, but the fullest price! I'm willing to bet that the rental charge {it use to be on the bill for a modem} makes them tons of money on a used modem! Now, they have learned that they need to cover their tracks and in most area's supply new ones!
Trust me when I say, I know this company way too well! Don't blame the techs or the CSR's, they are forced to do their job! I have heard of a instance of a supervisor accusing a employee of what was called "de-selling".. while trying to give a customer honest advice! Of course this is one instance, and could be argued that this is not practice company wide! However, I could give facts (but for privacy reasons) that the company has very strict employee confidentiality rules! Actually now that I think about it, they make their employee's sign one! They have a lot legal boundaries they cross and are willing to gamble!

·Mediacom
Mediacom Chad finally sent me existing Mediacom price$ via snail mail. I understand now why Mediacom tries to hide existing price$ at every opportunity. Without a Promo a customer would have to be very naive or stupid to get Mediacom TV Service. Non-Promo Mediacom Prices for TV service are not competive compared to Dish/Directv..

Review by Deaditelord See Profile

• Location: Oelwein,Fayette,IA
Good "When it is up, Internet speeds are as advertised."
Bad "Regular usage causes modem (and their replacements) to frequently drop the connection and eventually reset itself."
Overall "Frustrated customer about ready to switch service."

I was very happy with my Internet service with Mediacom until about 2 years ago when I started running into issues with the modem dropping the connection and then eventually rebooting itself whenever any attempt is made to do what I would consider to be regular Internet usage (downloading a file, normal updates, streaming, or playing games online through one of the major game consoles). If it was every once in awhile it wouldn't bother me, but we are talking every 5 - 10 minutes during these activities. Sometimes less.

Mediacom has replaced my modem repeatedly (I currently have a Cisco 2100) and all the wiring leading to my home with no success. In fact, the last few visits they have admitted to me that based on what they have done at my location and the continued modem drops/resets, the problem is somewhere on their end and that they would need to have one of their experts look into it. However, the problem remains persistent and my patience with them has just about reached my limit. Since I can cause this situation to occur by simply downloading a large file, I have even offered to start a download to help them find the problem (I used to do that while the technicians were at the house to prove that it was the modem dropping the connection).

I would like to remain with Mediacom. Their customer service has been very courteous and the service technicians who have visited my house have been very friendly and wanting to help solve the problem. However, I need an Internet connection that is reliable (especially now that I am back in college and taking tests online) and I am about ready to move on.

Note: The low rating for tech support only refers to Mediacom higher level technicians not taking the time to determine the problem on their end; Not the service technicians who have come out to the house.

I will of course revise this review if things change.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Deaditelord,

I completely understand your frustration with the service issues you have been having. This is not the level of service we expect any of our customers to experience. I will be more than happy to address this issue from here and see what we can do to resolve the issues and get you the service in which you are paying for. Can you send me an IM with your account or phone number?
Expand your moderator at work

Re: Service

Chad, Sending again some how gat scrambled?

I missed the two week window to respond to your reply and was wondering how we can connect without me paying to join the club? We had another problem a couple days ago and my neighbor called Mediacom and they said he was caller number 16. The next line was that they would need 30 calls to justify a problem?? Really 35% of the houses in this area need to call to get some ones attention as to another problem? Number 16 might not be telling the truth?? I was trailfinder and sent you an e-mail on 12/11/13. We get many different stories here about the problems, the standard it must be in your house, your neighbors the other neighbors and so on and it goes from there. I guess paying 190 a month and not even getting phone or all the channels is not enough for reliability? Pays to be a decades long customer with this company - ! How is it I see others getting internet and cable and phone for so cheap and if you have been with Mediacom for a long time you get the shaft? My 55" television is mostly a big advertisers bill board blasting me right out of the living room. Thanks

Hello Trailfinder,

I've responded to your other message on someone else's review. If you would like for me to assist you, you can private message me with your account or phone number.

Re: Service

Where and how do I reach you via private message?? Internet is dragging down again as the temps fall ?

I will check tomorrow on here and my e-mail to see your response - thanks

Chad,

How do I I M you??

Trailfinder,

In order to send me a private message you would have to register for the site. Have you done that?

Review by eric1970x See Profile

• Location: Munfordville,Hart,KY
Good "Fast when working "
Bad "Constant hassles and outages, Negative mid-contract changes - Pop-ups"
Overall " avoid mediacom internet "

I ordered a 2 yr / unlimited access internet service from mediacom back in late June, 2012. The internet package I ordered was $19.95 a month for the first year and then $29.95 for the second year plus $5 for a modem rental. Sept 2013 mediacom informed me with a large pop-up in my browser that they had put a cap on my internet of 150 GB and every 100 GB after would be $10 extra which is a breach in their contract and what felt like a stab in the back to me.

When I first began service with mediacom the service was slow to inactive for several days and I had to call the technicians out for a second time to make repairs, It took a couple of days for them to show back up, still, A cable from the pole to the house was left waist high and pulled tight so I can't mow under it or over it. - The internet goes down on a regular basis usually 3 to 4 hrs a night, not every night but it is to much. Calling for assistance is painful to say the least, be prepared for a very long wait unless your paying the bill... Many Agents are rude, ask unnecessary questions seemingly just to make the wait even more painful than it should.

Dec 23rd 2013 the internet went out, they said the earliest date they could get a tech out would be Jan. 7th 2014. 3 weeks for home repair?? Unbelievable...Thankfully it turned out to be a regional outage that was fixed or I would still be waiting on internet service now...

The good thing I can say is that the service is fast when its working right but changing the service agreement mid-contract and the CONSTANT HASSLE is not worth the price or effort. I would avoid mediacom at all costs if I had known.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Hello eric1970x,

I'm sorry to hear you have been experiencing trouble with your Mediacom services. Could you send me a personal message with your account or phone number? I'd love to look into this and provide a resolution.
eric1970x

join:2014-01-03
Munfordville, KY

Re: Service

"Mediacom reserves the right during the contract period to change, re-arrange, add, delete or discontinue packages or services (including the networks, programs or other items in those packages) and their features, functionality and other aspects of the service(s) provided."
This is a sample of what Sam from Mediacom emailed me when I inquired about the inappropriate mid-contract change. I only have 5 or 6 months on this contract, does he think I have no other choice? If you wish to help, you can email me: copperhead101@msn.com

Chad,

Hello Trailfinder,

I would like to look into this and help you out. Can you send me a private message with your account or phone number to get started?

Review by drivethruj See Profile

• Location: Jacksonville,Morgan,IL
Good "Great speeds normally"
Bad "Packet loss randomly but consistently happening for 8 months."
Overall "If I had any other option for high speed internet I would not use mediacom."

I have been with mediacom for several years and have had my ups and downs with them. Speed wise I love the internet from them, it's fast most times and great but with packet loss it makes what I do essentially worthless. I am a huge gamer and I stream my games live on twitch.tv. With the packet loss I can not stream efficiently or at all most times and gaming I can't even move in half my games and end up ruining the game for the others i'm playing with. They have tried to fix the problem but I was told 1% overall packet loss was acceptable but keep in mind if you run 100 packets during the time you're in game I can receive anywhere from 5 to 20% loss making it impossible to play. They have told me to look for internet else where now but honestly I would do that in a heart beat if possible but the fastest net I could get besides them is 1mb which won't work for me. One mediacom employee is trying to help me at the moment and I really appreciate at least someone fighting for me but I have a feeling it will be more of the same "Engineering is continuing to look into this problem and we will get back to you" and nothing ever happens.

Comments:

whamel
billhamel .net
join:2002-05-09
Hinsdale, IL
·Verizon Broadban..

Mediacom has an overall terrible network...

GOOD luck!
Hinsdale, IL - »www.billhamel.net

trailfinder

@mchsi.com

Re: Mediacom has an overall terrible network...

chad from Mediacom can you contact me? I have had problems for a very long time and am not receiving follow up that puts this to bed.

your name

@mchsi.com

Re: Mediacom has an overall terrible network...

Think about it trailfinder... If you have to come out to DSLreports to PLEAD to some random Mediacom guy on a chat board doing "damage control", your internet provider (Mediacom) probably sucks and is simply ignoring you. It's not like your local guys are doing anything either, or you wouldn't be praying for some random guy on the interwebs to wave a magic wand.

Gulf Breeze, FL
trailfinder, I will be happy to assist you with any and all service issues in which you are having. Can you send me an IM with your account or phone number, along with a brief description of any issues you are currently having?

drivethruj,

Thank you for contacting me here. I do apologize for the level of service in which you have had up to this point. I know that I have been working with Area Management and we have made great strides to get your issues resolved. I will continue to do everything I can from here to make sure this is done. If you have any further questions or issues, please feel free to reply in our IMs.
drivethruj

join:2010-06-20
Jacksonville, IL

Re: Service

For about two weeks my internet was finally fixed and was doing wonderful. Tonight I got nailed again with massive loss 20% plus and couldn't stream netflix or play games.

Review by Gray See Profile

• Location: Marceline,Linn,MO
Good "24 hour customer service hotline"
Bad "Unreliable service"
Overall "I would not recommend."

I moved to Marceline in February of 2013. I contacted the local cable company Mediacom for service. I ordered cable and internet services through them. I went through many cable boxes and many tech visits. Each time they would bring me a new box. I would estimate that it took approx. 3 months to get working cable TV service. At which point I was never credited for the time I did not have service.

Starting the 3rd month when my TV service started working, my internet service stopped working. I have put in an estimated 7-8 tech calls regarding extremely frequent internet disconnections. The service disconnects as frequent as 2-5 minutes apart and 30-50 times a day. The service is unusable. Several techs have been out and they have escalated the issue. My last tech was out last week and he told me that if the service was not working by last Thursday I should call them back. I did call them as I was still having disconnects. While I was on the phone with the tech support my internet monitor logged over 10 disconnects. They scheduled an appointment for today. At all the previous visits my wife had dealt with the techs. Today I took off early from work so that I would be able to talk to the tech directly. The tech never showed up. My appointment was scheduled from between 1-5pm today.

At 4:30pm I received an email stating that my appointment was cancelled. I called the customer service line to inquire as to why. The rep told me that the tech stated he had tried to call me and I did not answer several calls and that no one was home. I told the rep that I've been home and I have not missed any calls. I have been home for several hours. And to top it off, there are several people here with me and no one ever seen a tech show up. This was definitely the icing on the cake. I'm finished with Mediacom. 6 months later and I still don't have the service I paid for 6 months ago.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Service issues

Hello there, I am not happy hearing that you have gone through so many issues and still do not see a resolution to these problems. I would like to look into this for you and see what I can do for you. Please private message me your account or phone number to get started.