Mediacom page on DSLReports

Review by wpbear See Profile

• Location: Cataula,Harris,GA
Good "Only Provider Available"
Bad "Horrible Customer Service, Price and Copyright Policy"
Overall "Find something else if available"

At first very fast, then was over subscribed and got REALLY SLOW speeds and REALLY BAD customer service. Finally got fixed when area was upgraded but again bad customer support. Only good service is MediacommCHAD on this forum....and he is REALLY GOOD!

Copyright policy is 3-strikes and the turn it off FOREVER and no way to fight it.

Also price is HIGH. 12/1 is $60/month; 20/2 is $75/month and 50/5 is $95/month. DSL would be much cheaper at $20 if ATT served my house.

EDIT: 17 Feb 2013 - Slow speeds again. Speeds are down 30-60% from subscribed package. Setting up an appointment was the only part that went smoothly. The tech never showed up. When I called Mediacomm to ask what happened I was told they can't find me as a customer and to call a different number. I call the other number and the automated line tells me I am scheduled from 8-5pm; take note the time is now 515pm. Finally I get a live operator who tells me I am scheduled for anytime which could be 8-8pm. My question then is why have two real people and two automated machines tell me 8-5pm.

Also to update the review that now my intro price is over I will be paying over $125 a month for 50 down and 5 up (ultra package) if I have my own modem.

EDIT: 12 SEP 2014 - Not Reliable Speed. Package has been auto upgraded by Mediacom for "free" to 150 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. I supposedly pay for the 50/5 price package and pay $75/month for only internet. Speeds at night are not consistent but will max at 40/6. But during the day I can see speeds at 80/12. But I am assured it is not the Mediacom network, either local or backbone and I am told to only run speed tests direct to my modem and still get the same results. Mediacom is a continuous hassle! But no other choice. MONOPOLY!

EDIT: 19 Sep 2014- WORST TECH SUPPORT EVER:

The tech finally came to fix my slow service.

The tech called me at 630pm for an appt window of 5-7 pm and tried to get out of coming to the house and said he would have someone monitor my line for speeds. This was unacceptable and I told him to come to my house. The tech tried to bully me into not coming so he could get off work early.

We he arrived he sat in his truck for 10 mins on his cell phone and then spent 5 minutes running speed tests and pinged Google from my PC.

He didn't even touch his tools, any equipment, my house box, or the modem.

The speed test he ran is this:

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3773034225

I am provisioned for 150 down and 20 up.

He says he will put a maintenance request in and left. Mediacom wasted my time rushing home for work for nothing.

member for 3.5 years, 616 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Robert Cox

@sbcglobal.net

Worst service I have ever experienced

Absolutely the worst customer service I have ever encountered in any industry. They install, internet works for an hour then bottoms out to less than DSL speed. I call and I'm told they will come out tomorrow meaning another day off work for which I will not be paid. When I ask to speak with a supervisor I am told I don't qualify to speak to one. Never heard such crap ever!!

They fix it tomorrow or give me my money back and I'll be looking for anyone interested in filing a class action suit based on consumer fraud.

Review

Thank you for the kind words. I would be happy to look over your account to see if there are any promotions available for you.
kbrackley

join:2002-12-07
Springfield, MO

Not sure what is going on here

I had mc cable installed for about a month now and no complaints. I leave town for two days and come home to find my 20/1.5 working oddly at 3 down and 2.69 up.

Several speedtests later, and removing my router and connecting a laptop directly to the mc modem I get similar results...3 or 4 down and 2 to 3 up.

called tech support and I'm told I have to wait for 5 days to get anyone to check this out...they say "everything is fine...80% of what I'm supposed to have..." but even with a single laptop directly connected I get the same results.

I can't work from home this way and if its not fixed will consider this a breach of contract and move back to AT&T.
brantman

join:2014-08-14
Fortson, GA
·AT&T Southeast

It Could Be Worse

I can't necessarily speak on the speeds that Mediacom has now and I am sure that my experience from 6 years ago isn't relevant but it irks me to hear about the bad customer service there and how the grass is so much greener at other companies in the area. As someone who used to have Mediacom in Columbus and can only get AT&T now (moved to Fortson), the grass is certainly not greener. Not to rag on another company in your review but Mediacom is way better than AT&T and it's options. We are talking anywhere from 6 to 30+ times better in some cases. On a good day AT&T will get you 1.5 Mbps of the 3 you are set up for and an upload at .3 Mbps. So before you freak out about the customer service and "slow speeds," you should know what the other options are really like. Cable outclasses phone line supported DSL. Oh and the Uverse thing won't live up to the hype. The max speed will be 18 Mbps and will more than like stay about 12 until they max the system and it goes down to 6-8 Mbps. Sorry for the spiel but I would hate to see someone make a mistake because they think they can get better when that isn't the truth.

Review by Hoogityboo See Profile

• Location: Alba,Jasper,MO
Good "Works most of the year"
Bad "Technical problems don't get resolved in a timely manner."
Overall "Unreliable, spotty service, VERY BAD technical support. Avoid their service."

We've had Mediacom for over 2 years as our isp, here in Alba, MO. It was the only option for high speed internet other than satellite, ( and as of yesterday if found out DSL just became available through another company, my neighbor has it.) We don't pay for the service, it is paid for by my wife's employer as she works for an advertising firm that allows her to work from home. Her employer has informed Mediacom SEVERAL times that WE are to be contacted regarding issues, appointments, etc. They have been informed of this more than 20 times, but still they can't keep a record of that information. About 9 to 10 months out of the year, our internet has worked great. But this year as well as the last, there have been several MONTHS that our service has been intermittent and unreliable. Right now is one of those times in our household. Over the past two months, our internet has degraded to the point of being unreliably bad. Yesterday alone, I was disconnected over 40 times due to sudden signal degradation. After dark and until the sun comes up, there has been no service at my home at all. I have missed several days worth of work because they can't keep appointments and because they call the wrong contact number. They can't schedule appointments in a timely manner (I'm looking at 5 weeks to get my issue resolved currently), and often when I call or twitter them, they lie to me about calling me back or contacting me, and this is not an isolated thing. We have been hung up on several times, and lied to REPEATEDLY by customer service and technicians. I have had technicians come out and try to do things sub par (like put my cable modemon a line AFTER a 5 way splitter). I don't even know if the technicians know as much as I do about cable signals. Do they even train their technicians? I've heard from people who used to work for Mediacom that they are treated like garbage by the company, and told NOT to fix things properly. After dealing with them so many times, I honestly believe it is true.

I'm a fair person, I give people chances to fix their mistakes, but this has gone beyond that. This company is simply TERRIBLE, and is hands down the worst Internet Service Provider I have EVER had. I've never even reviewed an ISP before because I've never had this many problems with one.

Mediacom would be a better company if it spent as much on its infrastructure and its employees as it does its marketing.

Avoid using this company if you have any other options.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

MediacomChad

Hello,

Thank You for contacting me here about this issue. I was able to review your account and can see the work that our Social Media Team has been doing to assist you. I also see that there is a trouble call scheduled that was able to be moved up sooner than the date that was originally scheduled. Feel free to shoot me an IM and I will be happy to let you know the date and arrival window, as well as assist you with any future service issues.

Review by jake1110 See Profile

• Location: Mount Pleasant,Henry,IA
Good "Consistent service for over 30 years(even before the service was own by MC). Great internet speeds"
Bad "Too expensive for what we get. Better options exist for TV"
Overall "Surprisingly more reliable than expected, no rewards for long term customers"

Note: I joined DSL Reports way back in 2008 originally but never logged in to post so my old account has since been deleted so I am new again.

I'm writing this review with my parents who have subscribed to Mediacom for over 30 years. We just dropped the phone service to save money and the bill is still $140 between family cable and 15mbps internet. In Mount Pleasant, IA the connection is always fast and reliable. In fact, we were some of the first customers to use their phone service in the early 2000's. Overall, the internet service has been as advertised. No issues with streaming, browsing...anything.

Our MAJOR complaints come from the TV service and overall pricing. For $72.95, we don't even have an HD box which is something that comes standard for satellite services. For an extra $15 a month, they can provide a DVR, but all we need is an HD box so we can actually get more than local HD channels. Why not provide one cable box for that price? Dish and DTV both do.

We always see promotions for $89.99 family cable + internet which includes the digital box. Of course, that's not offered to such a long term customer like us. Why not? Why not reward loyalty and on time payments? The lowest Mediacom could offer was $105 for one year, then $120 for a second and back up to $140 after that. We could easily switch to Windstream + Dish/DTV and pay less, plus get all HD channels for life. Yes, the Windstream service is slower but we're not a large family taxing the pipe, so a downgrade wouldn't bother us at 6 - 10mbps, especially with overprovisioning that usually occurs

Overall, for the many years we've had MC and our experience has been more positive than negative but with the pricing and seeing what competitors offer, they may force us to finally switch before hitting our 40th anniversary. If anyone from Mediacom reads this, please take note. Don't let your best customers get jump ship. We've been pouring money into MC's pockets for decades, why not help us out.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

MediacomChad

Hello!

I am happy to hear that your service is working properly. I will however be happy to look into the billing inquiry you have mentioned here. Feel free to shoot me an IM with your account info and I will have a representative review your account and see if there is anything we can to to possibly save you some money.

Review by Klarth See Profile

• Location: Oronogo,Jasper,MO
Good "Speeds are what they should be when service is up"
Bad "High percentage downtime, offensively bad phone support"
Overall "If you have another viable option, take it"

What can be said about MediaCom that hasn't been said already? I've been a customer for nearly two years now after moving to Joplin, MO. Despite all the great help given on these boards by MediacomChad, I just can't get behind this company. The installation process was fine, but from the moment service started I was plagued by latency issues. Fortunately it was a signal issue that a technician was able to get corrected in a couple weeks time. From there things were still not as fast as my old cable ISP (Cox in Arkansas), but I could live with it, and it was a fair price given the first year promo pricing.

All that changed after the tragic tornado that hit the area on May 22. I had to call just to get a credit on my account for the 3 weeks that service was out, when you'd think they'd have taken care of that given the graveness of the disaster. After the three weeks and service was restored, I found that the speeds were much worse than before, to the point of being teeth-gnashingly slow at night. But, given the situation, there were much more important things to worry about and I was still in the one year pricing, so I let it go and just decided to be patient, despite things I enjoy like video-conferencing with family or occasional online gaming was no longer an option after 6pm, which is the only time I'm at home to use it anyway. Well now we're 9 months later, and nothing has improved. Calls to tech support have been futile. They once sent out a technician who blamed the speed problem on having two routers bridged together (spoiler alert: he was wrong). I try to be patient and understanding, but the price of service has now spiked up (around $100/month for TV/12mbps), and service outages are becoming more random and frequent. Occasionally I am given credits on my account when I call to complain, but not enough to make it even close to being worth the cost of this service.

I really want to give this company a chance, but even the employees who frequent these forums have to realize how frustrating it can be to come home after a long day just wanting to visit with relatives over Skype or watch a YouTube video, only to find that the cable is out and you have yet another letter in your mailbox begging you to switch to MediaCom's phone service. Oh, and the MediaCom apologist trolls that lurk around these forums. Those suck.

All that said, if you have the service and it works up to speeds advertised, it's worth the money. If you have a problem, you may be in for a world of hurt. They aren't an evil company--no more than other Internet providers, but they could be so much more if they invested a bit more money in infrastructure to make their customers a bit happier.

On the plus side, in the 30 minutes it took to write and proofread this review, my 10 minute YouTube video finally finished buffering.

Update 2/26/2012:

After missing a few "fix" dates, the Joplin area was switched over to new fiber and it looks like the situation is finally resolved as connection speeds are stable at all hours. I will keep updating this review as time passes. Building back trust from the users in this area will be a gradual process, but I'm hopeful that things will remain stable into the future.

Update 2/29/2012:

And like that, it's gone back to Mediacom's same old tricks of unusable connection speed at nights. Apparently they have another "fix" scheduled in another month, and who knows how many more times that will be missed (again).

Update 6/3/2013

After over a year, Mediacom's service has improved. There's still an occasional frustrating outage every so often where you can't even call to complain because they shut off their phone system, but a couple messages to their social media team will usually get you account credit for the downtime. We are now looking at moving out of these apartments to another part of town. The Joplin metro area is carved into two cable fiefdoms, one run by Mediacom and the other by CableOne. With today's news that CableOne is taking a less aggressive tone with caps (and impressive speeds unlike MC), they are going to be a huge factor in where we relocate to. Right now I'm paying $120 for TV/12mps Internet, and I'm locked into this price since I'm on their grandfathered data plan. I'd love to move to their 50mbps plan with an adequate cap of 1tb, but nope, not available here.

Never thought I'd see the day when the ISP that brought us 50mbps service with a 50gb cap and 50cents/gb overages would be the superior option, but there you go...

Update 1/21/2014:

Well, we have moved to a new part of town in which Mediacom serviced every surrounding neighborhood but not the one where our new house was. After months of complaining (and begging the city to consider changing their franchise agreement to let a rival cable company move in), Mediacom does finally service the area. At least I think so... It has been down more than it's been up since the installation over a week and a half ago. First it was an issue at the pole, then it was a widespread outage, now a localized outage. Getting credits for the downtime is like pulling teeth sometimes and it's a fulltime job given the amount of outages. It would be nice if they would automatically credit accounts instead of assuming that everyone has an alternate method of contacting Mediacom to complain (as well as the free time to sit through the phone support routine). The last time I called into phone support during an outage, I have to sit through the asinine automatic troubleshooter (tip: if you scream "I want to speak to a live person" at it you can bypass most of the garbage, but it does make you look silly to anyone else in earshot). I then get through to a nice Indian woman whom I'm sure is really named "Barbara", who then was able to confirm that yes, indeed, my service is out after running through the usual ridiculous steps like rebooting computer and being asked to remove splitters. She arranges a technician to come out, after warning that if they can't find anything wrong I would be charged an additional fee. Charming. And as her pièce de résistance, she then subtly adds before ending the call that "I've noticed that you don't have phone service...". This ties into the next topic of deceptive and irritating marketing.

If you read some of the threads on the Mediacom forums you'll see that they just love sending junk mail through snail mail. Particularly letters that say "URGENT: RESPONSE REQUIRED", and when you open them up you get an official bill-looking document that in reality is just an advertisement for their phone service. That's pretty bush league, even for a company with no standards. Of course there is no way to opt out of this trash, and there's always a chance they really do send out an important document so you can't just shred it in the envelope. Clever, but bush league.

If you were thinking of getting their TV service compared to Dish or DirecTV, you've had enough to drink, please stop. Unless you are in an apartment or somewhere that you can't set up the dish, there is no reason to have to go through an additional layer of headaches with Mediacom for what has to be some of the most overpriced TV service I've ever seen. Their promo pricing isn't even worth it. Next..

The field techs aren't exactly the friendliest or most knowledgeable you'll see. At least the ones I deal with act like it's the last place they want to be, and as soon as their own tests show the service is "working", they are out the door. Even if the modem is offline again by the time they get past the block. The forum support is a different story. They are polite, especially if you protest on the official forums where many subscribers may be watching. I'm not sure if the different guys are truly different people since they always phrase things the same way. For example, there was an outage a few days ago, and when many people complained here and on their forums, the response is always worded the same way. Something like "you will be credited accordingly". Makes me think there's some sort of Mediacom employee reeducation camp or something. They are also bad about spewing talking points and other stats they can't back up, like their "97% of all users don't have problems with the new cash grab data caps" line. That said they will do their best to make you 'feel' better about whatever is wrong, and the only reason I didn't rank their tech support as being the worst.

In summary:

Pre-sales information: Two times now I have said I have my own modem, yet they 'accidentally' leave that $5 fee on the bill hoping I won't notice

Install coordination: Tech did show up in the time frame listed, but apparently didn't test anything seeing as I immediately had problems. Left an unburied line running in back yard that they will supposedly bury at some point before the end of time.

Connection reliability: Bad, bad, bad. How can one area have so many outages?

Tech support: "Would you like to purchase some non-functioning phone service to go with your non-functioning Internet?"

Services: Assuming just having Internet service and no viable alternatives in the area. Not the worst... Does not apply to TV/phone

Value for money: $55/month for first year, $65/month for second year. After that it jumps up to 95 and it's time to cancel and get new customer promo under different name. For 50mbps service, that's tolerable, assuming I put the time/effort into getting credits for all these outages...

Update 9/3/2014:

The year was mostly quiet but Mediacom found a way to screw things up. As everyone knows, a few months ago they rolled out speed updates. My plan is now 100/50mbps with a 999gb cash grab, which seems reasonable, but there's one fatal flaw. YouTube (and Netflix, allegedly since I don't use it) cannot stream at certain times of day. If it's 9 or 10pm in the evening and you make the mistake of wanting to watch a video with your Mediacom connection, get ready for 10 minutes of waiting to prebuffer a 144p video. I haven't been getting those irritating scammy snail mail letters trying to con me onto their phone service, so I can only assume they reallocated their marketing budget to get YouTube 'HD Verified' status. It doesn't mean a damn thing.

I'm currently in a new conflict with them as the area suffered a major outage about a week ago, and since then people from the entire area have been suffering unreliable service. You know how you can have co-workers who live 10 miles away but also use Mediacom and have the exact same symptoms as you (constant drops, modem restarts, slow speeds), yet Mediacom will stick to their "We don't see an area problem" line? What this means is you're in for a long period of terrible service and no resolution in sight. Sure, they scheduled a trouble call, with the soonest time being nearly a month away. Do they really think we can just be without service for a month (yet continue to keep paying them)?

The levels of incompetence are quickly on the rise. A few months ago I might have been ready to suggest them to friends (who were willing to take a small gamble) but now it's almost literally throwing your money away as you aren't getting service that you're paying for. Since the last time I had problems they also seemed to have gotten more stingy about handing out credits for service interruptions-- like we're just supposed to just accept it. I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing other than satellite as an alternative, but if you have another choice in a larger market, you would be remiss not to get it instead of Mediacom.

member for 9 years, 1710 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MediacoN

@communications.net

Cedar Rapids, IA

Embarrassingly Awful Customer Service. The absolute worst.
seanb

join:2012-02-02
Harvest, AL

Re: Cedar Rapids, IA

having worked tech support and gone from a job doing that straight to managing an enterprise (with the same knowledge i had at tech support, so you can imaging my frustration) i can say that no matter how bad you hate the job, its still YOUR JOB. if you cant at least feign an interest in the customer, at least dont be combative or argumentative. every time i called their tech support, they suggested it was a computer problem of mine. trust me, its not. at one point i even stuck a Fireberd analyzer from work on the line and told them what it was saying, but they didnt understand that anyway.

just avoid this place, seriously.

Klarth

I have been in touch with the area network engineers. They are working to move traffic over to an additional higher capacity fiber bunch to correct this issue.
Klarth

join:2005-09-16
Oronogo, MO

Re

Just as a followup and so that everyone knows, Chad has been supportive with all my problems and he's probably the sole reason I give any credit to MediaCom's tech support (Between here and their Twitter feed, there's really fast responses for most little problems). It's a stark contrast between what you find through these online resources and the fellows in India who you get on their 800 number. It's just too bad when I need to contact them it is because my Internet is out. But again, at the end of the day, it's still the fact that it's been nearly nine months with nigh-unusable service. I really do look forward to the day when not only can I amend my review, but the many others who post reviews (and some who unfortunately register here for the sole purpose of writing a negative MediaCom review) can have a better opinion of this company.
seanb

join:2012-02-02
Harvest, AL

Re: Re

I can ammend my review in adding $242 for a termination fee was worth it. Just dropped off my modem and finalized it.

Chad: find a job for a company where you can make a difference! I've seen your name here a few times. Take it to somewhere that's not a stark contrast to your apparent work ethic and bravado.
VTX1800N1

join:2010-12-06
Mahomet, IL

Re: Re

said by seanb:

Wow, no way would I pay any termination fee to a company that failed to provide the service they were already paid for. I would have told them to stick it.

Bub

@swbell.net

review

Mediacom is a company without a face. If you don't mind talking to a recorder, and making numerous trips to the office - ten miles away (for me) - with equipment that repeatedly does not work, then this is the company for you!

I will be moving to AT&T as soon as I can!!

Re: review

Bub & SaMm2010,

I'd love to look into any problems you are having and work to get this resolved as soon as possible. This is not the type of service you should expect and would be happy to get this worked out for you and make sure your service is up to your expectations. If you want to send me a personal message on here with your telephone# or MAC address I can get back with you on this immediately.
SaMm2010
join:2011-01-18
Edenton, NC

This company is the worst of the worst, they will oversell the service and never fix it. It's been 1 year and a month and my internet is still slow during peak hours and weekends, I most times can't game online with my friends that have good internet, so all I can say is if you have mediacom as your internet provider better have a good supply of single player games you will need them.
VTX1800N1

join:2010-12-06
Mahomet, IL

Re: comment

said by SaMm2010:

I'm 3 years into oversold service. I SO wish there was another choice here and I never had to be a MC customer again.

honestly

@comcast.net

Mediacom

There is so much I could say here, but there simply is not a enough time! I do realize that some of the techs don't do everything they should! However, they are forced to do more than they can handle! The have a really demanding job! Also, the turn over rate at Mediacom is unbelievable! I've have witnessed a lot of new employee's that come into Mediacom with high expectations, therefore giving their best effort to learn everything! But it seems like, after a year or so, they have lost their drive!... I could ramble for hours!
A lot of what the original poster has mentioned is the exact problems I have witness for years! I also witnessed these events in more ways than you could imagine! Faulty equipment! you could never believe the faulty equipment this company has had! But it's no surprise, considering for years they have used the same old equipment that the prior company was using!
As for earnings.. this company relies on huge marketing strategy to gain customers...so huge that they have now resorted to signing contracts! Matter of fact, they will do anything to make a dollar, weather they get it from the custom or even their own employee's!
Believe me when I say,for years I have witnessed their desperate measures to make more money! just a few examples would be, accusing their tech of losing equipment, then charging them (deducted from their checks) the fullest price. Most of which was returned, but the equipment return process was so messed up and goes through so many phases that in most cases it was misplaced! Once other instance, I have heard of techs trying to be honest with a customer, in return accused of "de-selling" by management! Matter of fact techs are force to sign a privacy waiver! Please try to use careful judgement while analysing the techs abilities. They are being paid by the same company that you pay your bill to. Therefore, they deal with issues of losing their wages or being forced to handle work loads that don't give each and every customer the service they deserve.
Outages! oh my! I'm not really sure why this happens so much, but the credit back to the customers is not worth the hassle! As the internet becomes more demanding, Mediacom should be forced to pay a bigger credit! And even if they did, the hassle to get one makes it feel unappreciated!

hoogityboo

@173.25.65.x

1 recommendation

I feel your pain, Mediacom is terrible around here.

I live in Alba, MO. About 5 minutes from Oronogo. We moved here almost 2 years ago and I have had the service techs out here for internet problems over 5 times. We have had issues at roughly the same time you have, according to your posts, especially since the last major outage two weeks ago. Since then, we have replaced EVERY major component of our cable system. We have a new cable running from their tap to a BRAND NEW two way splitter (one of which goes directly to the BRAND NEW DOCSIS 3.0 modem that I bought TWO DAYS AGO, and the other to a BRAND NEW three way splitter for our tvs.) I had a technician out here yesterday, and our end of the cable service is pristine. I hovered over him and watched all of his signal readings and he checked EVERYTHING from the line to the pole. OUR END IS PRISTINE. While he was here, I had him attach the cable on the pole as well (prior to that, is was just hanging from the splitter/amplifier at the top of the pole and could often be seen blowing in the wind) At the time when he left yesterday, My signal level was almost perfect. My upstream was about 45-46dBmV, My downstream was fluctuating between 0 and 1 dBmV. My SnR was about 37db. According to the research I've done (and believe me, since I've had Mediacom as my ISP I've learned more about cable signals than I care to know) those signal readings are damn near perfect. Then last night, the internet started acting up again (which I have been logging carefully). The upstream signal will suddenly shoot up to 58 (which is the equivalent of our modem screaming at the top of its lungs), our downstream signal loses about 3 to 4 dBmV and then the modem restarts. This has been happening REPEATEDLY and while the modem restarts quickly most of the time, last night, it wouldn't even come back on. Can't blame it on the Modem this time Mediacom, its two days old and their modem did the EXACT same thing.

I'm really growing tired of not getting reliable service and spending so much time on the phone or twitter with them. It costs me wages to be here for a technician that is NEVER going to fix the problem because A.) he doesn't know how cable works (this hurr meturr sez urrythens good) and B.) the problem is NOT at my home (if he even shows up at all). Mediacom has NO accountability. We waited two weeks for the technician to come out here. Now we have to wait three more weeks for another one to return. And I keep asking myself WHY does this company not just spend its money on better equipment, infrastructure, training for its technicians, or anything to help instead of MARKETING? It's corporate insanity at its finest.

I wonder how we can get them thrown out of Jasper county once and for all. I know things like this have been done before. Surely another Cable provider can move in and take over for them and do things even a little more competently.

Review by Screwmc84 See Profile

• Location: Chariton,Lucas,IA

The support at mediacom is beyond crappy if everyone stood together hit the big wigs pocket books things would change been without internet for two weeks appt today was outside doing work waiting and missed the call can't just show up at your door even tho I confirmed it twice now another nine days to wait anyone living in an area with windstream they have better speeds and offer discounts for switching from this terrible company spread the word like crazy don't continue to stand by like everyone does take their business away

Comments:
iowaboy
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA
·Windstream
·WildBlue

Appointments

WOW, sorry to hear that you are having trouble with this company. I also have Windstream but I can't say anything good about them as far as speeds and tech visits. You must be blessed with great super human techs over there cause none over here can fix a bad line or connection in order to even get half of what you are paying for. Shoot even a 3rd of the speed. I can't say either way on Mediacom as I just came back to Mediacom cause Windstream was so bad I couldn't even connect through DSL after fighting for a year to be able to work from home part time. Good Luck on your end.

peonybud

@173.16.134.x

customer satisfaction

We have been Mediacom customers for years (14). We have been treated very well. They have responded to our concerns in a timely manner. They have been competitive in pricing. We have tried other providers in the past but are very glad to keep Mediacom.

Gulf Breeze, FL

Service issues and tech visit

Hello Screwmc84 See Profile,

I would be happy to assist you with any and all service issues you are experiencing with your Mediacom account. In order to get started just send me a private message with your account or phone number and I can pull everything up and investigate what could be causing these issues.

Review by Krazy4Real See Profile

• Location: Gilberts,Kane,IL
Good "Internet is faster than uverse"
Bad "Less HD channels, not getting advertised speeds, no show tech support appointments"
Overall "Canceling Mediacom and going back to AT&T"

I had AT&T Uverse for a year. I was not happy about the internet speeds. Mediacom finally became available in my area, and I jumped at the opportunity to finally have internet speeds equivalent to when I was with Comcast before I moved. Unfortunately, the Mediacom experiment will be short lived.

Ordering service is a hassle. You need to talk to a rep over the phone. They seem to be in a hurry to complete the order, and their breakdown of the monthly charges aren't clear. I repeatedly asked for an email detailing charges, and they would not accommodate. I was able to get an installation date scheduled and I took a vacation day from work in order to be home for the installation.

The install tech arrived on time, but ultimately wasn't able to complete the installation. The "lines were too hot". They would need to have an outside technician resolve the issue, and then they would come back out. He said that I would receive notification that the maintenance was completed so that I could try to move up my new installation date. I never received a notice. I was finally able to talk to someone and they told me that the outside maintenance was completed the very next day after my original appointment. This is frustrating, because I lost the opportunity to move up my new date. Regardless, I was happy that it was complete and would soon be able to receive service.

I took another vacation day for the new installation date (#2). This time the tech was able to get the line run, and get internet, phone, and one tv working. I was getting a little over half of the download speed I was paying for. The tech said that the speeds were up to 100 mbps and as long as I was over 50, I was getting what I was paying for. That is unacceptable to me. Speeds continued to get worse as the days went on, but nobody seemed interested in fixing it. The tech was also not able to setup the tivo minis. He was able to setup the main dvr box (Pace MG1) and get that working. I had ordered 3 tivo minis for other rooms in the house. The tech stated that only two minis are approved. The third wouldn't work (even though sales told me multiple times that it would). He also said that I needed coax in each room that I wanted a tivo mini. I contested that this is IP based video service and as long as the minis can talk with the main box, it doesn't matter if one of the minis is connected over cat 6 instead of coax. He told me that I was wrong. He also stated that he had been at my house for too long and needed to leave to get to another appointment. I don't understand how you can leave an installation without activating all services. He was quick to receive my first month's payment though even though I wasn't satisfied. He told me before he left that another technician would be here the next day to fix any outstanding issues.

After he left. I played around with the minis and their network settings, and finally got all three minis working even though he said only two would work (including one over cat 6 that I was told wasn't compatible). I received a call to confirm the appointment for the next day. I confirmed it since they could at least try to resolve the internet issues since I was now getting under 50mbps.

I took another vacation day (#3), and waited for the technician to show up. They never came. I didn't receive a phone call or anything. Just a no show. I talked with a customer care representative and they apologized for the tech not showing up. They told me they escalated this and that a technician would come out for another appointment.

I once again received a call to confirm the appointment the day before. I took another vacation day in order to be home for the technician (#4). Unfortunately, I had yet another no show. I cannot understand how a company wouldn't want to make sure that a new customer is happy and getting what they are paying for.

At this point I am frustrated and will be executing my right with Mediacom to terminate services since I am not under contract. They offer a 90 day money back guarantee that I will be taking advantage of. I can't get my vacation days back, but at least I won't be out any money.

I will be returning to AT&T. The internet won't be as fast, but at least the on demand is better, there are more HD channels, and they actually show up when they are supposed to.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Support

Hey Krazy4Real See Profile, I'm sorry about the ongoing service issues you've had. That's definitely not the level of customer service Mediacom wishes to provide. Mediacom would love to keep you as a customer and assist you with any issues you're having. I'm showing that I've been working with you over private messages. Would you like to continue working with me there?

Krazy4Real

join:2014-03-14
Gilberts, IL

Re: Support

Hey Chad. Yes, I had been working with you quite a bit. Unfortunately, I feel as though I've given Mediacom enough chances at this point. The two no show appointments really pushed it over the top. I'm not interested in staying with Mediacom any longer. Once my number ports back to AT&T on the 18th, I will be canceling my service and requesting a refund. I really had high hopes for Mediacom, and I was severely disappointed.

I do want to thank you though for trying to help. I wish things had turned out differently.
CappinHoff

join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA

Re: Support

So basically you're gonna go to AT&T for a bit until they do the same thing. Then run back to MC or another ISP. It's sad when customers whine and complain instead of getting issues fixed. Instead they run to other ISP's until an issue arises. Oh and BTW learn to read the ToS. Speeds are "up to" what you paid for and not guaranteed. No ISP guarantees that you will always get the speed you pay for. But hey customers like you are the reason for high rates.

Screwmc69

@50.82.98.x

Review by jaamo See Profile

• Location: Sugar Grove,Kane,IL
Good "Cable is pretty reliable and the DVR interface is easy"
Bad "Unreliable phone, unreliable internet and customer service poor "
Overall "If there was a choice, I'd pick another supplier"

Been a customer since December 2013. Install was excellent. We have phone cable and internet. Cable works 99% of time. Sadly, phone is often not working and frequently a poor quality connection when it does work. Internet has been very fast when it works. Unfortunately, it is down quite often. Sometimes only for minutes, sometimes for hours, recently down during daylight hours all day Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Those days, cable and phone out at same time.

I understand that systems go down. But for years we were with WOW and we've had far more interruptions in 7 months with Mediacom than we had in total with WOW over more than 10 years!

The worst part is calling customer service. Three different times, I've gotten a message that there are too many calls to handle and unless you want to make a payment, hangup -- if you don't hang up, you are disconnected. That's it, no chance to speak with anyone unless you want to send money. That pretty well tells you what they think of customers.

When you do get through, the automated system is abysmal. Often treated to a long message encouraging the use of chat -- nice. Already peeved since internet is down and while on hold they urge you to use the very service that doesn't work -- hence the call. Again, are they trying to aggravate their customers or is it just ignorance of how it sounds to the customer?

My most recent series of problems -- no service of any kind. I was told it was my house only and that someone would come out in 48 hours... THen, they emailed the confirmation not for 48 hours, but for 13 days! Really, 13 days. So I called again. Again, my house only, but they improved the response time to Saturday. That night, everything came on line and I foolishly cancelled the call. Next day, everything out again, called can't get though, only the message that there is an outage and unless I am calling to pay a bill, hang up. Service came back Friday night, but went out again Saturday AM. Called again and again told it is only my house and they'll come on Wednesday. I asked to cancel my service and they agreed to come on Monday and offered a service credit. I declined the credit offer and insisted that unless it was fixed Saturday, I would cancel. They accepted my cancellation request for cable. Then they emailed that they would come Wednesday. I called again, now am told it is only my house and they can't come before Wednesday. By the end of the day, a tech was going from house to house in the neighborhood checking signal and he said it was an area outage. Anyway, it was back up Saturday night.

The techs who come to the house are all polite and try hard to fix things. Things work when they leave. Phone techs are polite, but they don't appear to know what's going on and as a result give out inconsistent information which is frustrating.

All in all, if the internet and phone were reliable, I'd give Mediacom a good rating, but instead, I find that -- Mediacom service is poor. The neighbors I spoke with yesterday agree, but then we had no service. I am looking for an alternate provider. TV will be easy, phone I'll do without but I need a reliable internet provider and as soon as I find one, I'll drop the remaining services I have with Medicaom and

will ask our government to consider allowing competition.

Comments:

bossman1808

@173.16.63.x

good

i think dish and mediacom are good together

Support

Hey jaamo See Profile, I'm sorry about the experience you've had with our service and the long wait for the technician. That's definitely not the support we'd like to supply. Mediacom would definitely like to keep you as a customer and work with you towards a resolution. If you still have the service please send me a personal message with your account or phone number so I can dig into the issue!
jaamo

join:2014-08-03
Sugar Grove, IL

Chad,

Thanks for your interest. Please advise how to send you a personal message.

Review by bigt73 See Profile

• Location: Springfield,Greene,MO
Good "TV has been fine"
Bad "Internet speed not good at all"

I have been with mediacom for alittle while now and when I first got the service had alittle problem with the cable tv but they fixed that with no problem and at this point I had the 30mbps for the internet and everything was fine for the first few months then in the past month it went all bad with the internet, could not make calls off the wifi calling with our cell phones without it dropping calls and even on the computer the speed was bad, could not even watch videos without it having to buff every few mins. so the fist tech that came out said it was our speed was to slow so i got the 100mbps and yet still having problems with the speed going up and down so i made call after call after call..modem replaced 2 times, cables in and outside the home replaced, your office watching my service and not finding anything, techs in the field not finding anything and i keep getting told that this is going to be fixed. when!? i'm not happy when im told this will be fixed everytime i call but yet im calling in again and again and again over the samething every single time. now you tell me if you was in my shoes would you be happy if this is the service you was getting at your home? would you want to hear it would be fixed everytime you talked to someone on the phone but yet you have to call in again? and I just called in tonight and was told they are working on a outage in the area and thay cant trouble shoot anything till its back up but they can tell me that I have a pass due amount and we can take care of that now. are you kidding me! you are going to want me to take care of that now and yes I have the money for but yet you guys cant seem to fix my internet! now you tell me whats wrong with this picture?

Comments:

MediacomChad

Hello bigt73,

I will be happy to look into the service issues you have been having here. Can you send me an IM with your account or phone number?

Review by RezzIA See Profile

• Location: Bettendorf,Scott,IA
Good "When it's working, it works great. "
Bad "Constant internet outages and signals dropping."
Overall "Would be out of business with any competition."

** Please note: this is an edited review to reflect my more recent experiences. I was having a lot of problems with Mediacom, which have been handled very professionally and quickly by their online support team. Therefore I am editing my review. **

We have cable TV and internet service with Mediacom. The TV service is fine. It hardly ever goes out and the channel selection is good. There will occasionally be the weird signal or distorted image, but this is pretty common with cable tv anyway, so it's not an issue. In fact, I've had very little problems with the TV service and would recommend it.

The internet, on the other hand, is really a hit or miss. When the internet is working, it works great with consistent speeds (especially after the recent upgrades in the area). However, there are still a LOT of problems with signals dropping, packet loss, and outages. This occurs several nights a week. Mediacom replaced our old modem but the issues persist. I have to reset my modem constantly. Some nights streaming videos and online gaming is downright impossible. My neighbors also report having the exact same issues, so I feel it's an area problem and not really my equipment. I've used other ISPs in the past (Time Warner, Comcast) and would definitely rate Mediacom as the lowest quality of the bunch.

The phone customer support is absolutely horrible. You can tell the call center workers are just reading from scripts. They are friendly and polite, but need much better training on how to troubleshoot issues. On the other hand, their online support team is amazing and great at troubleshooting problems and getting issues resolved. If you have an issue with any service, I would recommend trying their online support team via twitter or here on dslreports before contacting their phone tech support.

All the techs we've had come out to the house have been friendly and professional. No issues there.

Overall, Mediacom is really a mixed bag. It's hard to recommend them due to the really poor internet service. Having the internet connection constantly drop or become sluggish several times a week gets very tiring. I feel if there were any decent alternatives, most people would probably switch.

Comments:

MediacomChad

RezzaIA (MMOloser),

I can understand you frustration with the service issues you have been having, including but not limited to the maintenance that we perform in the early morning hours. I assure you it was not my intention to mislead you in any way. Our Social Media Team, myself included, are here to assist our customers so they do not have to call and wait on hold for a prolonged amount of time.

I have went back through our conversations here, as well as the ones you have had with our Twitter support and I can see that we have offered to assist you with any service issues you have had, but thus far we have not been given any account information in order to do so. You mentioned here in this review that you are having service issues including slow and intermittent service. We would hate to lose you as a customer and we (Our Social Media Team) will more than happy to look into the issues you are having from here and work to address them accordingly.

If you would like to get the issues you are having addressed, feel free to send me an IM with your account or phone number, or provide the information to our Twitter support.
RezzIA

join:2014-03-28

Re: Support

Haven't reached out to customer support? Really? That's odd since I'm on the telephone with them at least 3x a week and have had several techs out to the house in the last year trying to get this problem fixed to no avail.

Finally one of the techs admitted it wasn't a problem with my equipment. He said the area was waaaaay over capacity and that's why everyone was having connection issues.

Not to mention you and some other support agents were sending me to the blatantly wrong URL to check for local maintenance (which has, at least, been resolved now thanks to your honesty).

Chad, I respect your ability to help and I think you deserve to work for a much better company, but sometimes you have to realize that Mediacom is the lowest rated consumer ISP for a reason.

Us customers don't just make this stuff up to spite you. The service is poor and the support is even worse.

The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in most cases with you guys.
Expand your moderator at work
thurst0n

join:2011-06-19
Johnston, IA

Re: Support

Rezz - Chad can't see your conversation with customer support on the phone if you never provided him with your account # on DSL Reports.

Review by Dmnchild See Profile

• Location: Columbia,Boone,MO
Good "I get full speed on my Ultra100. Don't have downtime cept a few rare moments."
Bad "Tech support is a little shotty. Response time for support is undesirable."
Overall "For the most part I'm very happy with my speed and reliability."

Overall I am very happy with my service. I get the full speed of my ultra 50. I do have very very little downtime. But when I do, it's a pain to call in support. They have an automated system for non tech savy people that will just annoy people that know better. Lately when I've called I have had very hard times understanding the English when talking to support. My last call involved me talking to a manager after being given mis information on how long my service would be down. Their English was worse then the others. Guessing it is outsourced now. Luckily I don't have to call often at all.

Updated:

Still with mediacom and mostly happy still. Speeds are still legit, I do get all my bandwidth as advertised. I am now on the 100, waiting for my upgrade to the 150 plan. Little bit disappointed that our data cap is not increasing with the speed upgrade. Guess they just wanna make us hit our caps faster!

Speed Test:

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3642820303

Comments:

MediacomChad

Service.

I am glad that the service has been working for you. If you have any issues at all going forward, feel free to send me a message and I will do what I can to get any of your issues resolved in a timely manner.