Mediacom page on DSLReports

Review by Krazy4Real See Profile

• Location: Gilberts,Kane,IL
Good "Internet is faster than uverse"
Bad "Less HD channels, not getting advertised speeds, no show tech support appointments"
Overall "Canceling Mediacom and going back to AT&T"

I had AT&T Uverse for a year. I was not happy about the internet speeds. Mediacom finally became available in my area, and I jumped at the opportunity to finally have internet speeds equivalent to when I was with Comcast before I moved. Unfortunately, the Mediacom experiment will be short lived.

Ordering service is a hassle. You need to talk to a rep over the phone. They seem to be in a hurry to complete the order, and their breakdown of the monthly charges aren't clear. I repeatedly asked for an email detailing charges, and they would not accommodate. I was able to get an installation date scheduled and I took a vacation day from work in order to be home for the installation.

The install tech arrived on time, but ultimately wasn't able to complete the installation. The "lines were too hot". They would need to have an outside technician resolve the issue, and then they would come back out. He said that I would receive notification that the maintenance was completed so that I could try to move up my new installation date. I never received a notice. I was finally able to talk to someone and they told me that the outside maintenance was completed the very next day after my original appointment. This is frustrating, because I lost the opportunity to move up my new date. Regardless, I was happy that it was complete and would soon be able to receive service.

I took another vacation day for the new installation date (#2). This time the tech was able to get the line run, and get internet, phone, and one tv working. I was getting a little over half of the download speed I was paying for. The tech said that the speeds were up to 100 mbps and as long as I was over 50, I was getting what I was paying for. That is unacceptable to me. Speeds continued to get worse as the days went on, but nobody seemed interested in fixing it. The tech was also not able to setup the tivo minis. He was able to setup the main dvr box (Pace MG1) and get that working. I had ordered 3 tivo minis for other rooms in the house. The tech stated that only two minis are approved. The third wouldn't work (even though sales told me multiple times that it would). He also said that I needed coax in each room that I wanted a tivo mini. I contested that this is IP based video service and as long as the minis can talk with the main box, it doesn't matter if one of the minis is connected over cat 6 instead of coax. He told me that I was wrong. He also stated that he had been at my house for too long and needed to leave to get to another appointment. I don't understand how you can leave an installation without activating all services. He was quick to receive my first month's payment though even though I wasn't satisfied. He told me before he left that another technician would be here the next day to fix any outstanding issues.

After he left. I played around with the minis and their network settings, and finally got all three minis working even though he said only two would work (including one over cat 6 that I was told wasn't compatible). I received a call to confirm the appointment for the next day. I confirmed it since they could at least try to resolve the internet issues since I was now getting under 50mbps.

I took another vacation day (#3), and waited for the technician to show up. They never came. I didn't receive a phone call or anything. Just a no show. I talked with a customer care representative and they apologized for the tech not showing up. They told me they escalated this and that a technician would come out for another appointment.

I once again received a call to confirm the appointment the day before. I took another vacation day in order to be home for the technician (#4). Unfortunately, I had yet another no show. I cannot understand how a company wouldn't want to make sure that a new customer is happy and getting what they are paying for.

At this point I am frustrated and will be executing my right with Mediacom to terminate services since I am not under contract. They offer a 90 day money back guarantee that I will be taking advantage of. I can't get my vacation days back, but at least I won't be out any money.

I will be returning to AT&T. The internet won't be as fast, but at least the on demand is better, there are more HD channels, and they actually show up when they are supposed to.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Support

Hey Krazy4Real See Profile, I'm sorry about the ongoing service issues you've had. That's definitely not the level of customer service Mediacom wishes to provide. Mediacom would love to keep you as a customer and assist you with any issues you're having. I'm showing that I've been working with you over private messages. Would you like to continue working with me there?

Krazy4Real

join:2014-03-14
Gilberts, IL

Re: Support

Hey Chad. Yes, I had been working with you quite a bit. Unfortunately, I feel as though I've given Mediacom enough chances at this point. The two no show appointments really pushed it over the top. I'm not interested in staying with Mediacom any longer. Once my number ports back to AT&T on the 18th, I will be canceling my service and requesting a refund. I really had high hopes for Mediacom, and I was severely disappointed.

I do want to thank you though for trying to help. I wish things had turned out differently.

Review by jaamo See Profile

• Location: Sugar Grove,Kane,IL
Good "Cable is pretty reliable and the DVR interface is easy"
Bad "Unreliable phone, unreliable internet and customer service poor "
Overall "If there was a choice, I'd pick another supplier"

Been a customer since December 2013. Install was excellent. We have phone cable and internet. Cable works 99% of time. Sadly, phone is often not working and frequently a poor quality connection when it does work. Internet has been very fast when it works. Unfortunately, it is down quite often. Sometimes only for minutes, sometimes for hours, recently down during daylight hours all day Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Those days, cable and phone out at same time.

I understand that systems go down. But for years we were with WOW and we've had far more interruptions in 7 months with Mediacom than we had in total with WOW over more than 10 years!

The worst part is calling customer service. Three different times, I've gotten a message that there are too many calls to handle and unless you want to make a payment, hangup -- if you don't hang up, you are disconnected. That's it, no chance to speak with anyone unless you want to send money. That pretty well tells you what they think of customers.

When you do get through, the automated system is abysmal. Often treated to a long message encouraging the use of chat -- nice. Already peeved since internet is down and while on hold they urge you to use the very service that doesn't work -- hence the call. Again, are they trying to aggravate their customers or is it just ignorance of how it sounds to the customer?

My most recent series of problems -- no service of any kind. I was told it was my house only and that someone would come out in 48 hours... THen, they emailed the confirmation not for 48 hours, but for 13 days! Really, 13 days. So I called again. Again, my house only, but they improved the response time to Saturday. That night, everything came on line and I foolishly cancelled the call. Next day, everything out again, called can't get though, only the message that there is an outage and unless I am calling to pay a bill, hang up. Service came back Friday night, but went out again Saturday AM. Called again and again told it is only my house and they'll come on Wednesday. I asked to cancel my service and they agreed to come on Monday and offered a service credit. I declined the credit offer and insisted that unless it was fixed Saturday, I would cancel. They accepted my cancellation request for cable. Then they emailed that they would come Wednesday. I called again, now am told it is only my house and they can't come before Wednesday. By the end of the day, a tech was going from house to house in the neighborhood checking signal and he said it was an area outage. Anyway, it was back up Saturday night.

The techs who come to the house are all polite and try hard to fix things. Things work when they leave. Phone techs are polite, but they don't appear to know what's going on and as a result give out inconsistent information which is frustrating.

All in all, if the internet and phone were reliable, I'd give Mediacom a good rating, but instead, I find that -- Mediacom service is poor. The neighbors I spoke with yesterday agree, but then we had no service. I am looking for an alternate provider. TV will be easy, phone I'll do without but I need a reliable internet provider and as soon as I find one, I'll drop the remaining services I have with Medicaom and

will ask our government to consider allowing competition.

Comments:

bossman1808

@173.16.63.x

good

i think dish and mediacom are good together

Support

Hey jaamo See Profile, I'm sorry about the experience you've had with our service and the long wait for the technician. That's definitely not the support we'd like to supply. Mediacom would definitely like to keep you as a customer and work with you towards a resolution. If you still have the service please send me a personal message with your account or phone number so I can dig into the issue!
jaamo

join:2014-08-03
Sugar Grove, IL

Chad,

Thanks for your interest. Please advise how to send you a personal message.

Review by bigt73 See Profile

• Location: Springfield,Greene,MO
Good "TV has been fine"
Bad "Internet speed not good at all"

I have been with mediacom for alittle while now and when I first got the service had alittle problem with the cable tv but they fixed that with no problem and at this point I had the 30mbps for the internet and everything was fine for the first few months then in the past month it went all bad with the internet, could not make calls off the wifi calling with our cell phones without it dropping calls and even on the computer the speed was bad, could not even watch videos without it having to buff every few mins. so the fist tech that came out said it was our speed was to slow so i got the 100mbps and yet still having problems with the speed going up and down so i made call after call after call..modem replaced 2 times, cables in and outside the home replaced, your office watching my service and not finding anything, techs in the field not finding anything and i keep getting told that this is going to be fixed. when!? i'm not happy when im told this will be fixed everytime i call but yet im calling in again and again and again over the samething every single time. now you tell me if you was in my shoes would you be happy if this is the service you was getting at your home? would you want to hear it would be fixed everytime you talked to someone on the phone but yet you have to call in again? and I just called in tonight and was told they are working on a outage in the area and thay cant trouble shoot anything till its back up but they can tell me that I have a pass due amount and we can take care of that now. are you kidding me! you are going to want me to take care of that now and yes I have the money for but yet you guys cant seem to fix my internet! now you tell me whats wrong with this picture?

Comments:

MediacomChad

Service

Hello bigt73,

I will be happy to look into the service issues you have been having here. Can you send me an IM with your account or phone number?

Review by RezzIA See Profile

• Location: Bettendorf,Scott,IA
Good "When it's working, it works great. "
Bad "Constant internet outages and signals dropping."
Overall "Would be out of business with any competition."

** Please note: this is an edited review to reflect my more recent experiences. I was having a lot of problems with Mediacom, which have been handled very professionally and quickly by their online support team. Therefore I am editing my review. **

We have cable TV and internet service with Mediacom. The TV service is fine. It hardly ever goes out and the channel selection is good. There will occasionally be the weird signal or distorted image, but this is pretty common with cable tv anyway, so it's not an issue. In fact, I've had very little problems with the TV service and would recommend it.

The internet, on the other hand, is really a hit or miss. When the internet is working, it works great with consistent speeds (especially after the recent upgrades in the area). However, there are still a LOT of problems with signals dropping, packet loss, and outages. This occurs several nights a week. Mediacom replaced our old modem but the issues persist. I have to reset my modem constantly. Some nights streaming videos and online gaming is downright impossible. My neighbors also report having the exact same issues, so I feel it's an area problem and not really my equipment. I've used other ISPs in the past (Time Warner, Comcast) and would definitely rate Mediacom as the lowest quality of the bunch.

The phone customer support is absolutely horrible. You can tell the call center workers are just reading from scripts. They are friendly and polite, but need much better training on how to troubleshoot issues. On the other hand, their online support team is amazing and great at troubleshooting problems and getting issues resolved. If you have an issue with any service, I would recommend trying their online support team via twitter or here on dslreports before contacting their phone tech support.

All the techs we've had come out to the house have been friendly and professional. No issues there.

Overall, Mediacom is really a mixed bag. It's hard to recommend them due to the really poor internet service. Having the internet connection constantly drop or become sluggish several times a week gets very tiring. I feel if there were any decent alternatives, most people would probably switch.

Comments:

MediacomChad

RezzaIA (MMOloser),

I can understand you frustration with the service issues you have been having, including but not limited to the maintenance that we perform in the early morning hours. I assure you it was not my intention to mislead you in any way. Our Social Media Team, myself included, are here to assist our customers so they do not have to call and wait on hold for a prolonged amount of time.

I have went back through our conversations here, as well as the ones you have had with our Twitter support and I can see that we have offered to assist you with any service issues you have had, but thus far we have not been given any account information in order to do so. You mentioned here in this review that you are having service issues including slow and intermittent service. We would hate to lose you as a customer and we (Our Social Media Team) will more than happy to look into the issues you are having from here and work to address them accordingly.

If you would like to get the issues you are having addressed, feel free to send me an IM with your account or phone number, or provide the information to our Twitter support.
RezzIA

join:2014-03-28

Re: Support

Haven't reached out to customer support? Really? That's odd since I'm on the telephone with them at least 3x a week and have had several techs out to the house in the last year trying to get this problem fixed to no avail.

Finally one of the techs admitted it wasn't a problem with my equipment. He said the area was waaaaay over capacity and that's why everyone was having connection issues.

Not to mention you and some other support agents were sending me to the blatantly wrong URL to check for local maintenance (which has, at least, been resolved now thanks to your honesty).

Chad, I respect your ability to help and I think you deserve to work for a much better company, but sometimes you have to realize that Mediacom is the lowest rated consumer ISP for a reason.

Us customers don't just make this stuff up to spite you. The service is poor and the support is even worse.

The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in most cases with you guys.
Expand your moderator at work
thurst0n

join:2011-06-19
Johnston, IA

Re: Support

Rezz - Chad can't see your conversation with customer support on the phone if you never provided him with your account # on DSL Reports.

Review by Dmnchild See Profile

• Location: Columbia,Boone,MO
Good "I get full speed on my Ultra100. Don't have downtime cept a few rare moments."
Bad "Tech support is a little shotty. Response time for support is undesirable."
Overall "For the most part I'm very happy with my speed and reliability."

Overall I am very happy with my service. I get the full speed of my ultra 50. I do have very very little downtime. But when I do, it's a pain to call in support. They have an automated system for non tech savy people that will just annoy people that know better. Lately when I've called I have had very hard times understanding the English when talking to support. My last call involved me talking to a manager after being given mis information on how long my service would be down. Their English was worse then the others. Guessing it is outsourced now. Luckily I don't have to call often at all.

Updated:

Still with mediacom and mostly happy still. Speeds are still legit, I do get all my bandwidth as advertised. I am now on the 100, waiting for my upgrade to the 150 plan. Little bit disappointed that our data cap is not increasing with the speed upgrade. Guess they just wanna make us hit our caps faster!

Speed Test:

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3642820303

Comments:

MediacomChad

Service.

I am glad that the service has been working for you. If you have any issues at all going forward, feel free to send me a message and I will do what I can to get any of your issues resolved in a timely manner.

Review by vexion2007 See Profile

• Location: Semmes,Mobile,AL
Good "Good speeds"
Bad "Very lazy and unprofessional techs & support"

We've had Mediacom internet at our home for the past 5 or more years. We lived in a mobile home until recently we completed construction of our new home about 20 feet behind where the mobile home used to sit.

We called Mediacom immediately after construction was complete and power was turned on to the house. They said they would come migrate the service to the new location. Their first appointment was on July 3rd between 8 and 12 in the morning, no one ever showed up.... So, we called back and rescheduled for today, July 8th. the tech shows up 45 minutes late.

The tech shows up and immediately I'm put off by the way he acts. Though, I still show him the same respect and courtesy I would anyone else. He takes a look at what needs to be done and immediately starts looking for a way out of the job. He starts measuring the distance from the road, then comes to me and says we're 55 feet out of service range. I was startled that he resorted to something like this. This estimate is impossible as the new end point is literally less than 20 feet away from the old end point.... He called his supervisor and I over heard him saying he had another job to go to at 1PM, it's almost 1PM at this time... So, by that I was sure that he just wanted to get away and keep up the quota...

So I gave up on Mediacom. I loved the internet we had for those years we had it, but after this, we're going to ATT Uverse. However, in the mean time, I've ran a temporary coax cable from the old end point to our new house and hooked the internet up my-self. It took me about 15 minutes to do it.

Hopefully ATT will send out a professional crew to install our new services, not a lone unprofessional tech...

Comments:

MediacomChad

I'd love to help!

Hello,

Thank you for posting here. I assure you this is not the level of service we expect our customers to receive. Could you send me an IM with your account or phone #? I'll get this escalated over to the TOS (Technical Operations Supervisor) for further review. If needed, you can also email my team directly at SocialMediaTeam@mediacomcc.com

Thanks!

vexion2007_a

@208.60.60.x

Re: I'd love to help!

Unfortunately the deed is done. We have switched to AT&T Uverse.

The guy that came out and installed our service was very pleasant to work with. Given my own knowledge in low voltage stuff, I was able to help him and we got my house wired and setup exactly how I wanted. He knew what he was doing, and was ready to work. I was very impressed with his professionalism.

I understand that the product that mediacom provides is very nice, and it was very reliable where I lived. But due to the bad decisions by the tech and the mediacom support we spoke to after he left... we'd had enough.

Just another tidbit of info about that day mediacom showed up. The tech did do me a favor in that he put a connection end on the big coax coming from the road so that he could test the "signal strength". He said the "signal strength" was so low that internet wouldn't reach the house.

If the "signal strength" was too low to go 20 more feet, then how in the world was it strong enough to go through two segmented coax cables that where well over 10 years old, dry rotten and had spots that where almost certainly broken, but touching. I had 20Mb internet until the point where I asked the ATT guy to snip the coax that carried mediacom internet from the pole.

Anonymous
join:2004-06-01
IA

Re: I'd love to help!

The problem is Mediacom uses contractors for most installs. They are paid set prices depending on the job type (and services to be installed). These people decide if it's worth it or not and they will find an excuse to not to do it or do a half-assed job at best and they will tell you something like "I'll be back to finish it" etc and of course that never happens. Some of them would give their phone number to sub only to never answer the phone after they leave. And of course others would do a great job and be 100% professional.

Sometimes in house techs are overscheduled and they just want to be off on time and they will try to reduce their workload any way they can. Sometimes they just have a bad day. The fact is field techs can cut corners and it all depends on the personality of the tech who gets your job. Some are better than others. Also keep in mind Mediacom is a company that is extremely focused on profit and employees are usually paid less than the industry average.
I speak for myself, not my employer.
GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

Re: I'd love to help!

the big diffence is that ATT worker was union and paid well. Mediacom could careless about its employee's
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

the Media con.

You could always just bury the cable yourself since Mediacon is afraid to put in a honest days work. I'm guess that since you ran a temporary cable, it is working.

Don't put too much faith in At&T's internet service.

Review by macej2006 See Profile

• Location: Pontiac,Livingston,IL
Bad "I wouldn't buy or recommend this to anyone again."
Overall "bad account management."

They messed up my billing and charged me for a month I had already paid. They said I paid it then suddenly their story changed. You can't get customer service in store and you have to go to their 800 number where no one speaks very clearly, and they never help you solve your problems. I will not recommend this to anyone who needs reliable internet service as the internet service needs to be refreshed three times before an actual page will come up. I am also being charged for 12 tv channels I just found out come free with digital tv's. They have just completely ripped me off and I have only been with them for 6 months. Will be switching soon.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Billing issues

Hello,

I would be happy to look into these instances and make sure that everything on your account is setup correctly for you. Feel free to send me a private message with your account or phone number to get started.

Review by motoman See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,De Kalb,IN
Good "It's fixed and works as should"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "No contract pricing is good"

·Frontier Communi..
Finally, hell has frozen over and MC has fixed the 2.5 years of frustration in my neck of the woods.

Very pleased at this time, the quality of service for internet and phone is back to the way it was a few years back.
The TV will always be sub-par compared to DTV/Dish

Update: 11/10/11
The issues with tech support are being addressed in my area, in fact they are doing a very good job now!

Update: 4/14/12
Back to the same crap once again. This time they simply refuse to care.
It has been well over 2 months now and I get the drift that they are done at this point.
No bother from the local office in even putting a effort into getting the service fixed.
I can not speak lower of this company!

Update: 5/30/12
The uncaring attitude from this company is beyond anything one could compare it to.
Not one call or a single attempt to rectify the problems since April. Nothing at all, it is as if they are telling me to bend over and take it. They simply do not care.
I'm done with this sorry excuse of a company. Returned all equipment for good.

Update: 6/26/13
I was talked into giving MC another chance, so far I'm glad I did.
The net and TV issues from before seem to have been resolved in my area.

Update: 8/16/13
Had 50/5 installed today. All I can say is it's fantastic. MC has resolved all issues in my area.
Mediacom Chad is worth way more than anyone could imagine. There were a few bumps in the road with communications on all fronts. Chad stepped in and cleared up the situation.
I'm more than pleased with the service they provide!

Update: 5/13/14
It's been almost a year since I came back to MC. I have to say they are on the ball around here now.
I have seen maintenance trucks more than ever. I asked one of the guys if there was something wrong. He told me he was doing sweeps around the area to improve the network.
He even asked me if I had any questions or concerns with my connection.
I like the way this is heading. It appears they are hiring quality employees now.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Newest update

That's great to hear! I'm glad everything has been working well for you and if you need anything else don't hesitate to contact me here on DSL Reports.

Review by bulletsam See Profile

• Location: Charleston,Coles,IL
Good "When it's working it's great!"
Bad "Speeds are sometimes close to what was advertised, most times not."
Overall "Price keeps going up, quality keeps going down. You may, or may not get a good tech to come to your home."

I've been a Mediacom customer since day 1, and over-utilization seems to be common practice with this company. The sad part is they know they are selling a product that will develop problems because of this over-utilization. Well, to be honest, the sales dept. may not know of these issues, but then again, they are hired to sell/hype the product not fix it.

The one bright spot is that there are a few in customer support on dslreports.com that go above, and beyond the norm working to correct issues. What ever they pay them isn't enough, in my opinion. They strive to give you honest answers to your questions. The higher-ups could learn a thing or two from these hard wording individuals.

Update 2/28/13: Got a good deal on Ultra50 for 1 year ($59.95) but after 9 months since upgrade, 4 of those with constant problems, it's not worth regular price of $94.95 to me. I'm now looking at other options for both TV and internet.

Update: 4/21/14: After 2 years they finally fixed the 4-channel bonding in my area. Speeds are as they should be at 113Mbps down, and 10Mbps up.

Loyal customers like myself (Since day 1 of Mediacom) unfortunately mean nothing to this company.

Comments:

Review by potato See Profile

• Location: Monroeville,Monroe,AL
Good "When the service works it is fast, local techs are really nice"
Bad "Constant modem disconnects, service goes out for hours, techs never fix anything"
Overall "Avoid this company if you have a choice of providers"

Written 2013-02-21
----------------------------
I've been with Mediacom internet for a little over six years, only because I don't have a choice. When I moved here and signed up I had both television and internet service. After frequent TV problems I dropped Mediacom for TV after my contract was up and went with DirecTV. DirecTV is disgustingly expensive, but I haven't had problems over the last two years, except for very few 2 or 3 minute interruptions when weather is really bad (and it has to be really really bad for this to happen). If there was a better option for a more reasonable price, I would gladly leave DirecTV.

Mediacom internet service is a cruel joke where I live. They are more expensive than other ISPs and can't seem to provide solid service. Speeds are all over the place, though latency is generally OK. A few times a month latency increases and I get a lot of dropped packets for an hour or two.

Starting in June 2012 my modem reboots itself several times a day. Sometimes it gets bad enough that it just reboots non-stop for hours - the logs are full of T3 and T4 timeouts.

I am on my 5th modem since June 2012 - 2 Mediacom rentals and 3 of my own. The techs finally agreed its probably not the modem.

The techs that have come out to my house have tried just about everything. I have a new line from the pole to the house, a new line from the junction box to the modem. No splitters, just a grounding terminal in the junction box. I think they finally realize the problem is on their end, but they don't seem to have the capability to troubleshoot and fix the problem. At the time of this post, the problem has been ongoing, everyday, for almost 9 months.

There is currently a ten page post concerning this problem on the Mediacom support forums. The typical response when inquiring about news from the people 'working' on this problem is "We're looking into it".

Last month, one of their routers was blocking access to their own sites. I had to use a proxy to post on their support forum.

Telephone support is generally useless. Instead of actually trying to see if there is an area problem (ie. looking to see how many modems are offline or querying the CMTS), they schedule a tech to come out days later. The tech ends up calling and saying, "There was an area problem that we fixed. Is everything working OK now?" There seems to be no communication between their phone support and local techs. Phone support never knows about area-wide problems. I feel really bad for my local techs. We are on a first name basis now. Even the local tech ops supervisor has been to my house to 'apologize'.

I've had a lot of ISPs as I use to move around a lot. Mediacom is without a doubt the worst.

I wish I could drop this service, but where I am there is no other high speed service available ... yet. The local telco is rolling out 25mb DSL in some areas nearby - that would be plenty of speed for me. Unfortunately it looks like I am stuck with Mediacom for quite a while. You can bet, however, as soon as the telco offers high speed on my street I will switch in a heart beat.

Update 2013-07-17
----------------------------
After 13 months the problems still exist and I still have no alternative for broadband. If you have a choice in providers, my recommendation to avoid this company like the plague still stands. Terrible.

I see why they ranked last place by Consumer Reports and JD Power & Associates for the last few years

Update 2013-11-13
----------------------------
After 17 months they still can't get this service working properly for more than a couple of days at a time. But because they have no competition in this area, I am stuck paying for overpriced bad service if I want half working internet.

Things are even getting worse now. The brief disconnects are becoming 20+ minute outages. Pathetic.

Update 2014-03-26
----------------------------
21 months into this and Mediacom still cannot fix their problems. Unfortunately it is still the only choice in town.

Update 2014-04-09
----------------------------
'Corporate Escalations' scheduled a tech (why??) to come to my door and tell me the problem is not here. I could have sworn we established that over a year ago, several times. It took 2 weeks for that pointless tech visit.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Service

Hello potato,

I completely understand your frustration with the level of service in which you are have received thus far. I assure you we do want to help you. Can you send me an IM with your account or phone number so I can look into these issues and address the issue properly.

»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSuppor···c=7709.0

That's me

Re: Service

I assure you, we are working on this issue. I have looked over the escalation that the Moderators on the Support Forums submitted and Area Management is working diligently to get you the service you are paying for. I see that we were given an update today and are still working on this. As soon as we get an update, I will either reply to you on this site or the Moderators on the Forums will followup with you there.

Re: Service

"Area Management is working diligently to get you the service you are paying for"

I was told this was escalated past my local area management. They obviously don't have the ability to fix the issue. Why was I lied to?

»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSuppor···sg112653

Anonymous
join:2004-06-01
IA

Re: Service

Escalated higher or not it makes no difference, the bottom line is field techs are always the same and it's up to them to fix your problem. You can contact corporate and they will escalate it but in the end it does not matter that much. Intermittent upstream SNR issues are hard to pinpoint most of the time.

Good news is they will work on it as long as they can see an issue from their end (as in packet loss, signal issue, noise etc).
I speak for myself, not my employer.

2 edits

Re: Service

Then its time to can the current techs and hire new ones with experience. Why even bother "escalating" the issue if its the same people trying to figure it out?

Don't get me wrong, everyone I've met has been really nice and they genuinely seem sympathetic, but over 8 months with the same problem says it all - incompetent and inefficient. Bring someone else in to get a fresh perspective.

----------
Support: "Escalate this issue"

Tech Ops: "We already wrote the issue on the board in yellow AND underlined it. I guess we'll have to go to the highest escalation ... get me the red pen!"

Management: "LOL, he's still paying full price"

Share Holders: "LOL, raise prices"
----------

I noticed your review of the company you work for. That seems pretty shady. I can't believe DSLReports OR Mediacom would allow that. It certainly doesn't make Mediacom look very good to have a self-admitted shill (Mediacom employee) posting reviews.

I do thank you, however, for letting me know the truth about escalations. It gives me a little more insight into the company.

*** I will say today (so far) has been the best day I've had in weeks ... just one timeout that I am aware of.
*** Update - back to frequent modem reboots

mac8535

@bardstowncable.net

mediacom

I have the same problems that I'm reading here. Service goes out , call support- no other outages in your area.
Schedule a tech to come days later, nite before tech is to come special support calls and explains how sorry they are and have found the problem and we are good as new. Hang up the phone and out goes the Internet. Same bull, PLUS THEY ARE RUDE AND HAVE NO IDEA WHAT CUSTOMER SERVICE IS ALL ABOUT????

Re: mediacom

mac8535,

I would be happy to look into these service issues you are having and get them resolved for you. The customer service you have described is definitely not what the company wants to provide and I will do what I can to make everything right for you. Feel free to private message me on here with your account or phone number to get started.

whamel
billhamel .net
join:2002-05-09
Hinsdale, IL
·Verizon Broadban..

Mediacom has an overall terrible network...

When I lived in Iowa City, IA going to U of Iowa, I refused to get Mediacom at the 3 different residences I lived at while in school. In fact, except for freshman year (where i got 1 Gbps in the dorm), I used Qwest the local telco. It is now called CenturyLink, but back then the DSL was the way to go in Iowa City. Mediacom was WAY oversubscribed in Iowa City, and having college students on those mediacom lines meant major congestion, HIGH latency, HIGH packet loss and a overall shitty service.
As for TV those 3 years, Qwest bundled DirecTV with their DSL so we got a good discount as well.
Since I also game, I need a reliable conection 99% of the time or gaming online becomes a chore.
GOOD luck!

hjg
Hinsdale, IL - »www.billhamel.net

Still having issues after 21 months

21 months into these problems and Mediacom still cannot fix their problems. Pathetic bunch of thieves. Unfortunately, Mediacom is the only provider in town, I think this is why they don't care. They know they have a monopoly and people are going to use them even with all the problems and lack of support.
twhiting9275

join:2002-08-30
Waterloo, IA

Re: Still having issues after 21 months

I am so sorry, I know the frustration and pain that comes from having these guys as the ONLY provider in town.

I recently discovered they've been ripping me off since August, hiding certain things on my bill, so I can relate to the 'thieves' part as well. Shady, duplicitous thieves
RezzIA

join:2014-03-28
·Mediacom
Exact same issues with these Mediacom scammers. Completely horrible internet service. They shouldn't even be allowed to call themselves an ISP.

I'm a very avid gamer but ever since I moved to Iowa, it's almost impossible to game online with the constant lag, packet loss, and disconnects. The nightly outages between 12 and 6 every single night are absolutely ridiculous.

I never had these issues back home with Time Warner Cable. I am literally considering moving just to get out of a Mediacom service area. It's really THAT bad.
kfunkjr

join:2009-12-18
Hiawatha, IA

Crappy service

I have the Ultra 50 service. That would be 50 megabit which translates into a wee bit over 6 megaBytes. Right now I am downloading a file and getting 300 kiloBytes which translates to abut 1/18 of the advertised speed.

I truly do understand overhead and all of that but even on good days I only manage a max of 3MB. On rare occasions it will spike up to 4MB. However every night after 4pm local time bandwidth drops massively. The 300kB mentioned above is about normal. This has gotten really bad over the last few months.

All Mediacom wants to do is send out a tech. Guess what, the tech only comes during the day when bandwidth is normal...if you can call half of what you pay for normal. Over time they have replace the cable inside the house and from the pole to the house. It has made no difference.

This is a company that is so afraid of competition that they spent several million dollars lobbying against the small town where I live trying to get a vote on a city owned cable service. I live in Hiawatha which is attached to Cedar Rapids, IA. Hiawatha put a cable initiative on the ballot a few years ago. Between actual money spent and free ad space give to the persons lobbying against the vote....you would think they have something to be scared of.

I think it is about time to try and convincee the city council to put this back on the ballot.