Mediacom page on DSLReports

Review by krypt0 See Profile

• Location: Midwest
Good "Good Download Speeds"
Bad "Nothing major"
Overall "Above Average"

This is for residential internet service only.

Good download speeds, finally decent upload speeds (2ch upstream bonding)

Hardware (All customer owned):
1. Motorola SB6141 (primary)
2. Motorola SB6121 (backup)
Data Limit (monthly in GB): 2000
Provisioned Speed: 150/20M
Received Speed: 160/25M

»www.speedtest.net/result/3835479069.png

Comments:

MediacomChad

Service

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or service issues. I will be happy to assist you as best I can!

Markusmo

@50.81.100.x

Re: Service

I live in Hermann and are they going to fix the internet problem in the area ?

Review by Technicholas See Profile

• Location: Winterset,Madison,IA
Good "150 MB Down and 20 MB Up"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "150 MB Down and 20 MB Up is great"

I used to have Centurylink service 12mb/896kb since 2002 I moved into a area that had Mediacom and Centurylink could only offer me 7mb/896kb I signed up for the 105mb download and 10mb upload and love it, MediacomChad helped me through the process and I appreciate him for helping me through the install process and making sure everything looked good before after the install. I get around 105mbps-120mbps on average download, and 10-15mbps on the upload no slowdowns etc. They provided a Thompson modem. I am finally glad to get off DSL and on to something that is fast and doesn't lag when I get all my devices on the service.

Service has went downhill use to be great

1/2/13 Update : Not getting the speeds I am paying for 6mb at 7pm at night. Tech support has been reluctant to fixing the problem.

9/24/14 Update : Running great 8 downstreams bonded getting around 170/10mbps.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Ultra 105

That's great to hear everything is working well for you Technicholas. If you do need anything else moving forward don't hesitate to contact me here and I would be happy to further assist you.
Technicholas
join:2010-11-11
Winterset, IA

Re: Ultra 105

This is what I appricate about Mediacom your on and active on a Saturday at 11:23PM at night (CDT) appreciate it again MediacomChad!

Re: Ultra 105

You're welcome! I'm happy I can help.

Review by iowaboy See Profile

• Location: Fairfield,Jefferson,IA
Good "Fast connection"
Bad "Cost "
Overall "Fiber available here within city limits but Mediacom extends out to those ourside"

·Windstream
·WildBlue
09-18-2014 After being away from Mediacom for a few years and changed to local Telco DSL which provided better reliability at that time along with better speeds for download and upload. Since then we had moved to different city and had signed up with National Telco for 2 phone lines plus DSL. Didn't know that Mediacom did service outside of city limits where we now lived. After fighting with the National Telco over DSL speeds for over a year did call Mediacom to sign up for Internet only. From call to installation was 2 days. Right away speeds are where we can use Netflix and watch Youtube videos and listen to music all day long without any issues. Did for about a week had a issue with speeds dropped lower than what was ordered but not to a level that really would notice without checking Speedtest.net. Made contact with Mediacom Tech here on DSL reports and after rebooting modem about 7 times over and over the modem did draw a file that allowed the speeds to go back to original levels.

The reason for this updated review is that Mediacom has come a long way in trying to make things right for the customer. The reasons for us leaving a few years ago and has been fixed. The speeds now being offered are great. So far we have not reached the caps so I can not say anything about them at this time. At the moment if someone has a issue I highly recommend that they contact one of the techs here on DSL Reports. They will do everything within their powers to make it right.

11-7-2007 Still the best for the money available. Loss of movie channels to make room for more channels is not being received very well, even by me. My connection for internet seems to be very strong and have very few down times. Usually when internet down Mediacom gets someone on it real fast. DSL is offered in this community but the cost to speed level is quite high and htye do not offer any speeds close to Mediacoms 8000/512. Other communities have more to offer so for them offerings are more matched to each other. For me Mediacom is still the best.

5-4-2007 So far still the best for value here in this small town. DSL is available thru the phone company, but still not up to Mediacoms standards. I have had no problems with my connection and it has always been there for me and all the computers we have connected to the line (7).

10/30/2006 I still go with what I have said before. I still get great speeds except when AT&T has problems. I still say compared to the local dsl cable is the way to go. The local phone company now offers tv along with their broadband (if you call 768/256 any speed for$55.95 a month fast) I have done alot of work on internet problems for those unlucky to mhave the local dsl and after they see what my speeds are they switch over to Mediacom and are real happy so far. When i compare the spped to cost ratio between dsl and cable here where I live cable still wins. When the phone company gets their heads straight and really offer real speeds for the price then maybe cable will have a challenge but till then, what can I say, cable wins. ( I also get the phone company's goat when they try to get me to change and I pull out my speed tests for days and evenings and they can't beat Mediacom :>) each person has their own tests and prefrence so compare before you buy.

12/15/2005 Speeds, both up and down for me have been great. A constant 4600/243 all the time. It may be that the node is not overloaded. Tech support has answers the line within 3 minutes and has always been very courtious and answered my questions. When techs have had to do a onsite they were fast at finding the problem and were always interested in my observations and any data that I may have. The only other broadband in my town can't even compare on speed and price. Mediacom remains the most cost effective media here.

Customer service and tech support very friendly. The only time that service techs had to come to the house they were very friendly and effiecent. Even took time to look at the information (tracerts, modem speeds and signal), and checked all connections at pedistal and splitter. Even helped me find the source of abnormal current on the line (bad digital converter) so another tech did not have to make a trip. I was on dialup before moving into mediacom area so speed is very thrilling.

We had Direct TV before and really miss it since we were getting all channels available for the same price as we are getting now for all digital with Starz package. So my family feels that this price could be alot better and feel the tv portion is over priced.

As far as the internet part the price may be in line as before we had 2 phone lines and 2 isp's which put that cost at $60 a month.

I have sent others to mediacom for internet and would advise anyone to sign up for Mediacom Online services.

Update:4/30/2004= Remains a fast connection 236 up and 2695 down on the average for me. The one time that I had to call tech support they were very friendly and listened to what I had to say. They even sent a repair crew out and they found problems with the line up the road which cured all the problems with disconnections. I still would recommend cable to anyone in this area as it has the best cost/benefit ratio available.

Update:12/11/2004 Service remains good. Had trouble last weekend with loss of internet and slow speeds. Tech support was very helpfull and polite. Had a bad modem and router which I had replacements here at home already. Speed picked up after a few restarts and everything back to normal if not even better than before. I am running 7 computers on this line through a router and even with the kids being online and my downloading linux iso's my speeds remain aroung 2850 down and 236 up.

Comments:

BJG

@173.29.89.x

Mediacom quality vs price

Regarding TV, how would you compare Mediacom with satellite? Like many, I'm trying to sort out the value propositions of Mediacom, DTV and Dish.

Review by Bbrown49 See Profile

• Location: Ankeny,Polk,IA
Good "Quick set up and quick service"
Bad "None thus far"
Overall "Good service for the money"

I ordered the service thru a mailer. Mediacom telemarketers had to call me after completing the mailer to get the special they were running. (1/2 price for 3 months) I could not call them after getting the mailer to get the rate. I received a call on Thursday and set up the install for the following Monday AM. No one came so I called Tuesday AM early and set up the install for the following Wednesday. 2 hours later the tech was at my door(Tuesday). Where the mix up came from, nobody knows. I had previously purchased my own modem and the tech had me up and running in 20 min. Everything, including e-mail, worked. I am getting 2 meg download and 135 meg upload

Update - I ordered the service via MediacomChad. Asked for the 12 meg service and was told they had a special $30 for 12 months the first year, $40 a month the second year. Was contacted about 5 days later and tech guy came out the following morning and got me set up. My speed tests on the service showed between 4 and 5 meg download and .5 meg upload. I then learned the base internet service is 4 meg with bursts to 12 meg. The next service higher, Prime, was 15 meg download and 1 meg up and was rated for that. It would cost $10 more per month the second year. I upgraded to this service and have consistently had speed tests over 15 meg down and 1 meg up.

Update - My 2 year contract was about to expire so I contacted MediacomChad. He had a retention person contact me and I was able to get a good promo price plan for $30 for 1 year and $40 for the second year for the same speed I had. No interruption in service after accepting it. I did have to contact MediacomChad afterwards to correct a minor billing issue.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Service

I am glad everything is working good for you so far!

Let me know if you have any issues going forward and I will be happy to help you.

Review by djbrettb0 See Profile

• Location: Ames,Story,IA
Good "Finally, Mediacom has comparable offerings to satellite."
Bad "Internet. I've bent over backwards to resolve peak speed issues, yet the company still seems to think it's my fault."
Overall "Mediacom isn't as bad as Comcast, Time Warner, etc., but they aren't perfect either."

In the Des Moines metro, Mediacom is the best because they do not encrypt regular HD cable channels. This enables HDHomeRun users like myself to enjoy our streams, which we pay for, without interference (digital encryption). Many of the channels they deliver to our homes are not rate shaped (re-encoded) at all, though some are. Still, while not as great as DirecTV in terms of picture quality, Mediacom provides an acceptable picture quality.

Internet, on the other hand, is great during the day. My full 100mbps. At night, I've seen speeds as low as 14mbps. I really hope Mediacom can resolve this issue.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Slow speeds

Hello djbrettb0 See Profile,

I've taken a look over your modem and I'm not really seeing an issue as to why you would experience such slow speeds at night. Utilization for your area spiked at about 85% 6 days ago but is primarily below 45% so that shouldn't be causing your issue. There is a slight upstream SNR issue for you and it looks to be an area problem. If you would like to further troubleshoot the speeds you can send me a private message when you're seeing these speed problems and I will further troubleshoot with you while it's happening.
»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/

Review by rgod55 See Profile

• Location: Coralville,Johnson,IA
Good "Great download speeds, good ping times."
Bad "None really."
Overall "Good value with their new tier. Loving their 100/10 service,Great service(from people on here), no real complaints."

Great download speeds since they bumped it up to 100mb/sec. I have the modem connected to my Netgear Nighthawk router, it is an awesome router. Their service is great for online gaming compared to my DSL line as the ping times are about 40-60ms better. Overall, with an even faster download speed and an increased upload speed, they are worth looking at.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Thank you!

Just wanted to reach out and say thank you for the review. It's always good to hear from someone that is receiving all services the way they should. If you ever do have any issues you can definitely contact me here and I will be happy to help.

Review by UHF See Profile

• Location: Independence,Buchanan,IA
Good "Fast, reliable"
Bad "No pricing information on their website"
Overall "It's fast"

·Callcentric
·Dish Network
Smooth sailing so far. There's been two outages, both fiber cuts that also affected other providers in my area, so not Mediacom's fault. I'm generally able to get the advertised speeds, or very close to it. I don't like caps, and I don't like contracts, but this beats the slow CenturyLink internet I had before.

member for 12.5 years, 5356 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MediacomChad

Great to hear!

I'm happy to hear everything is working for you. If you ever have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me here.

your name

not Mediacom's fault?

"not Mediacom's fault" ? That's what they've been saying to my family for YEARS...

They FORCE you to call for service trouble over and over again and THEY CHARGE YOU EVERY SINGLE TIME and say "it's not Mediacom's fault" as OFTEN as they can, because whenever they don't 'find' a problem at your house, they BILL YOU $100 every time they come out.

Anonymous
join:2004-06-01
IA

Re: not Mediacom's fault?

The service fee is $25 and it's not charged every time.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

Review by jmikey See Profile

• Location: Springfield,Greene,MO
Good "Good speed, nice discount when bundled with phone"
Overall "Have really improved over the years."

June 4, 2014. Love their new speeds, getting 50/5 and phone for 47.90 a month for two years. Consistent speed, no drops.

I moved north of town here in Springfield Mo, so only Cable High speed was available, I took the 8 Mbps package coupled with family cable so to get a discount on both. The tech was a little goofy and strung cable across my floor and left it that way, my niece called Mediacom for me and they made him come out and do it right. During the day the speed is great, averages about 7.5 to 7.8 Mbps, but at night it drops way off, sometimes below 1 Mbps. Mediacom told me that they don't guarantee the 8 Mbps speed, so not much can be done about it. When I had DSL my speed was consistant, I don't understand why Cable cant be the same. I like Mediacom but they need to do something to stableize their speed.

July 28 th

May 16, 2011

Tried their Ultra 50 on a 59.00 promotion, it sucked, my speed rarely ever got about 17 Mbps, downgraded back to VIP speed, but their over utilization issue drops my speed down below 1 Mbps at night. They promise to have it fixed by July, but that is a very long time to wait, yet they still charge the same price. I can't believe a company as big as they are sale bandwith that they don't have.

Well, first off I updated to digital plus, then I took the VIP pak since they were offering their phone service for a penny a month through January, then everything will be 29.95 a month until July of 08, then the entire package with Digital Plus goes up to 145 a month.
Phone service is great, no static or pops like I kept having with ATT. My internet speed got upgraded to the 10/1 tier, the only gripe being I had to call and remind them to upgrade it. Another gripe is they didn't hook the phone service up to the entire house, they just hooked my phone by the pc directly to the Arris phone modem, so I will have to do that myself.

Overall, I am satisfied now, rarely do I get any speed drops, they worked on the main node out here so it doesn't get overloaded like it did.

December 28

Well, I just learned that when I took the VIP package I was suppose to get Showtime free for 3 months which I never got. I spoke to them this morning also about the fact that my rates went up earlier than I was told they would. They said that I was mistaken about the rate thing and that yes I was suppose to have gotten Showtime free and didn't, but that there was nothing that could be done now.

I am starting to get ticked off at them now, I have had VIP for 6 months and now things are changing to higher prices and not everything being delivered.

January

Have put in 2 different orders to have my service canceled but for some odd reason each time it never goes through. Now they are trying to charge me a month in advance for something that I have told them twice to cancel. Each time I call back they say they can't find the order where I had everything canceled. Almost sounds like they are fighting me about shutting the stuff off. If they want to just give it to me free I'm not going to argue with them, and that is what I told them. Will wait and see this time if they mysteriously lose the disconnect order.

September 2009

Have been living in Humansville so have been without Mediacom for a while, am about to take it back since moving back to Springfield mo, they have upgraded the 8 Mbps to 12/1. was promised that the speed issues have now been taken care of. Am scheduled to be installed Sept. 12, the day after I get my new apartment, will see how that goes then will update this again.

September 13th update

First thing that happened was the minute I got online they had a network outage, which meant I couldn't get back on until 3 this morning, then each time I did a speed test the modem would lose sync when the upload part of the test was done, they are coming out Tuesday to swap out my modem, it is the Motorola SB4200, I understand that it is a Dinosaur anyway. One thing I appreciate is the fact that since I get family cable free with my apt. they gave me Digital cable for what they normally would have charged me for family cable.

October 16th update

Been with them a month this time and am having huge speed drops in the afternoon and evening. My 12/1 tier is dropping down to 1.5 to 2Mbps during those time periods. I spoke to a Mediacom tech that came to check my cable box out, he says he lives in the area and is having the same problems. He also promised me that they are in the middle of node upgrades and that the speed problem is short lived. I will wait and see, but there reputation has really been tarnished by their failure to deliver on their new speeds.

May 25, 2008

I took their VIP pack about a month ago, speeds have been pretty stable at 15/2. I do notice some issues when it rains, not sure why... That is about all I have for now.

member for 9 years, 2037 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by wth See Profile

• Location: Iowa City,Johnson,IA
Good "Steady speed 24/7"
Bad "Nothing at this time"

Did not rate Pre sales/install since I have have been on this cable modem the past 11+ years B4 Mediacom purchased the system. Node was upgraded in 10/07 to regain top speed during primetime, and has been steady since. In Sept '08, they increased the speed from 8/768 to 12/1. Big upgrade at the headend in Aug '11 fixed all speed issues. Speeds were increased to 15/1 in 2013. Monthly cost does not include modem rental fee of $5/month, as I own my own modem. Speed increased to 15/2 on 6/1/2014 for n/c.

member for 12.7 years, 6489 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MediacomChad

Support

I'm happy you are satisfied with your Mediacom service. If you ever have any issues or have questions or concerns feel free to let me know.

MediaCon

Re: Support

[Mediacon, if you can message me your account or phone number I can check the availability of Ultra 105 in your area.]
ERIK RENY
14916 N RICHLAND LN
CHILLICOTHE, IL 615239289

Since i'm not a member of dslreports just mssg me back in the thread of what is available. i really dont want 3 yr contract for commercial account as i am not sure i will be in the area in 3 yrs. my job could move me at a moments notice if they choose. thanks for your help.
And yes, the online beats the human factor by far. so kudos to you all in the Gulf!!!

Review by CappinHoff See Profile

• Location: Des Moines,Polk,IA
Good "Good speeds and even an increase in upload."
Bad "Internet hardware"
Overall "Good deals if you talk to the right people."

Had CenturyLink and was getting tired of the issues with their network. Talked to a door to door sales person and got a great deal. $9.95 net for a year, then $14.95 a year the next year. Also got cheap phone and cable. Installation was quick and easy. The only issue I've had so far is the modems they use.

First phone modem we got was some odd named one. Worked for about 2 weeks then started to randomly disconnect. Found out that anytime I would use a decent amount of bandwidth the modem would stop working. No lights. Got a different modem, an RCA. Worked fine for a month then the same issue. This time the lights stayed on and it appeared to be working, but no connection. This only happens with the bandwidth started getting used. Seems my only solution will be to split the phone/net into two modems. One for phone, one for net.

I'll update once that happens.

Comments:
Maitri

join:2012-09-16
Springfield, MO

Modems

The modems do that because Mediacom is too cheap to buy new ones. They just refurbish old models that others return and reuse them. Welcome to the cheap side of the Internet!

Re: Modems

They don't buy them anyways. They lease them. So that's a little different. Since it's a phone modem anyways, there isn't much of a selection.

Tars

Re: Modems

They also DISABLE most of the features on their equipment before giving it to their customers... MEaning, their boxes are CRIPPLED if you are electronically literate...

**5/17/13** review update

**5/17/13**
So the same issue is still there, the modem. Everything else works great. Just the disconnecting of the modem under load. Signals are fine.

From what I gather the phone modem can't handle high bandwidth usage. Since I game and stream with netflix and other various online services it just can't handle it. Resolution..... get another modem dedicated solely for the net.

It's ridiculous that I have to do this at my expense. They need to get better modems that can withstand high bandwidth usage.

Re: **5/17/13** review update

I do apologize you're still having this issue. I would like to try and get this taken care of for you. Please private message me.

Re: **5/17/13** review update

It's not your fault. I blame RCA in reality.

Irritated and unhappy

Very long time customer that was very happy with service until September when the unneeded data caps were instituted to all customers.

Not really understanding why customers that had previous accounts got lumped into the data caps? We were told we'd be unlimited since we had accounts from before. Then out of no where that changed. I've heard and seen the reasons, but let's be honest it's not about lack of bandwidth. Since it's been stated that only %3 of accounts actually go above the allotted cap. Why should customers in good standing and long time customers be forced into something unnecessary?

I know I'll be told to upgrade to a bigger package, but that means paying more for something I and others should have to pay for. It's not really fair to customers who have been overly loyal to a company that shows little loyalty, only thinking about the $$$.

Something needs to change and it needs to change fast. Many were happy with being grandfathered into the caps since you had an account before a certain date you retained your unlimited cap, but now it's not that way and people are unhappy.

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero

join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN

Re: Irritated and unhappy

Sadly, this is becoming a trend with ISPs, and it sucks. We all know this is a "because we can" thing and has nothing to do with bandwidth, but an easy way to grab extra cash from people who they feel are "abusing" the network. I'm sure they're also using this to keep us on CATV. Of course, being known as a rural provider, they know that most of us have limited or no other choices. Maybe we should all move to an area that uses fiber (Google!)

Re: Irritated and unhappy

The big clincher here is only %3 of all the Data customers ever go over that limit. On top of that Mediacom is one the highest grossing ISP's. As for google, they have caps(soft), and they are instituting hard caps soon. I think eventually Mediacom will redact their caps just like Comcast did.

Better than last update

Things are working flawless with the occasional hiccup but it's fixed rather quickly. Only thing still bugging me is the unneeded caps. I wish MC would have thought about long time subscribers rather than their bottom line. 20+ year subscriber and put into caps isn't how you go about things.