Mediacom page on DSLReports

Review by wth See Profile

• Location: Iowa City,Johnson,IA
Good "Steady speed 24/7"
Bad "Nothing at this time"

Did not rate Pre sales/install since I have have been on this cable modem the past 11+ years B4 Mediacom purchased the system. Node was upgraded in 10/07 to regain top speed during primetime, and has been steady since. In Sept '08, they increased the speed from 8/768 to 12/1. Big upgrade at the headend in Aug '11 fixed all speed issues. Speeds were increased to 15/1 in 2013. Monthly cost does not include modem rental fee of $5/month, as I own my own modem.

member for 12.1 years, 6167 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MediacomChad

Support

I'm happy you are satisfied with your Mediacom service. If you ever have any issues or have questions or concerns feel free to let me know.

MediaCon

Re: Support

[Mediacon, if you can message me your account or phone number I can check the availability of Ultra 105 in your area.]
ERIK RENY
14916 N RICHLAND LN
CHILLICOTHE, IL 615239289

Since i'm not a member of dslreports just mssg me back in the thread of what is available. i really dont want 3 yr contract for commercial account as i am not sure i will be in the area in 3 yrs. my job could move me at a moments notice if they choose. thanks for your help.
And yes, the online beats the human factor by far. so kudos to you all in the Gulf!!!

Review by Technicholas See Profile

• Location: Winterset,Madison,IA
Good "105 MB Down and 10 MB Up"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "105 MB Down and 10 MB Up is great"
(ratings well above consensus)

I used to have Centurylink service 12mb/896kb since 2002 I moved into a area that had Mediacom and Centurylink could only offer me 7mb/896kb I signed up for the 105mb download and 10mb upload and love it, MediacomChad helped me through the process and I appreciate him for helping me through the install process and making sure everything looked good before after the install. I get around 105mbps-120mbps on average download, and 10-15mbps on the upload no slowdowns etc. They provided a Thompson modem. I am finally glad to get off DSL and on to something that is fast and doesn't lag when I get all my devices on the service.

Service has went downhill use to be great

1/2/13 Update : Not getting the speeds I am paying for 6mb at 7pm at night. Tech support has been reluctant to fixing the problem.

member for 3.4 years, 539 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MediacomChad

Ultra 105

That's great to hear everything is working well for you Technicholas. If you do need anything else moving forward don't hesitate to contact me here and I would be happy to further assist you.
Technicholas

join:2010-11-11
Winterset, IA

Re: Ultra 105

This is what I appricate about Mediacom your on and active on a Saturday at 11:23PM at night (CDT) appreciate it again MediacomChad!

Re: Ultra 105

You're welcome! I'm happy I can help.

Review by UHF See Profile

• Location: Independence,Buchanan,IA
Good "Fast, reliable"
Bad "No pricing information on their website"
Overall "It's fast"

·Callcentric
·Dish Network
·DIRECTV
Smooth sailing so far. There's been two outages, both fiber cuts that also affected other providers in my area, so not Mediacom's fault. I'm generally able to get the advertised speeds, or very close to it. I don't like caps, and I don't like contracts, but this beats the slow CenturyLink internet I had before.

member for 11.9 years, 5107 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MediacomChad

Great to hear!

I'm happy to hear everything is working for you. If you ever have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me here.

your name

not Mediacom's fault?

"not Mediacom's fault" ? That's what they've been saying to my family for YEARS...

They FORCE you to call for service trouble over and over again and THEY CHARGE YOU EVERY SINGLE TIME and say "it's not Mediacom's fault" as OFTEN as they can, because whenever they don't 'find' a problem at your house, they BILL YOU $100 every time they come out.

Anonymous
join:2004-06-01
IA

Re: not Mediacom's fault?

The service fee is $25 and it's not charged every time.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

Review by jeff0575 See Profile

• Location: West Frankfort,Franklin,IL
Good "105 MB Down and 10 MB Up"
Overall "Worth the Money"
(ratings well above consensus)

Ordered 105 Mb download and 10 Mb Upload for $100 per month. So worth the money for these speeds.

Updated 11-17-13

Still Best Service i can find.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Service

I am glad your services are working properly. If you have any issues going forward, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Review by rblilly See Profile

• Location: Jefferson City,Cole,MO
Good "they gave me 20.00 off because the tech was late, and month of Nov for free"
Bad "cable tv is fine,,,,but I'm losing phone and internet at least once per day since service installed"
Overall "Don't use Mediacom"

I moved to Jefferson City on October 8th. Phone/Cable/Internet was installed that day. I haven't had any problems with my cable, however techs had to come out on Friday because I'll make a call, hang up, then not have a dial tone even though I wait 10 or 15 seconds to make the next call so the modem can reset. Of course, I lose internet at the same time. The techs had to go up on a ladder outside and readjust wiring, and removed a splitter since I only use one tv and one phone. They told me the signal should be twice as good and tested the phone line while here. It's Saturday, and early this afternoon I returned from the festival and my phone wasn't working. Usually I unplug the modem and replug and it will reset and work fine(for a while, anyway), but only a couple lights came on this time. I unplugged and replugged, unplugged and replugged. It came back on, I made a call to my parents, and I was disconnected. I unplugged and replugged, and had to call Mediacom, threatening with a BBB complaint, although the tech woman was very nice and credited my account for the time it would take for another tech to come out on Tuesday. It's up and running again, but I feel like I'm checking the lights on the modem every couple minutes to see if all are on, and I try not to use the laptop or phone much. I personally don't think it's a modem problem or connections on the inside of the apartment.....they'll have to check the outside wiring again as I was told by the tech that there was some out of range connection problems.

UPDATE::::::::::

Well, the techs have been out 6 times in a 3 week period, one came this morning. As usual, the phone/internet went out around 1030am and probably won't go back on until 4pm or 5pm. I'm at the library typing this.

Techs came out twice on thursday, the first switching modems, saying that he was giving me a modem designed for wireless which I should have had with my order in the first place. Within a 1/2 hour, the phone/internet weren't working.

Three vans pulled up around 5pm later that day, replacing the modem again with a brand new modem. I lost two calls that evening, and phone and internet service went out from around 10am on Friday until 4pm.

Because the phone/internet were working this morning, the tech this morning couldn't do much except check the outside, and it seemed ok. He also told me that because the modem had been switched out, there was little history on it, and i was best waiting a week until they could see the history of when i was losing signals, etc. UGGGGGGGGGGG.

Tech support is saying that a possible area wide signal which should be around 0, is at 12 percent or greater, and another signal that should be around 30 or better is in the 20's.

My case has been escalated at least twice, and now maintenance is supposed to come out and other Mediacom personnel are supposed to look into whatever it will take to resolve the signal problems.

In the meantime, my NEW SERVICE WITH CENTURY LINK will be installed on Wednesday, and Direct TV is coming out Tuesday to install the dish.

The Better Business Bureau of NY has informed me that my complaint has been sent to Mediacom Headquarters and a response is pending. From what I've heard, they sometimes don't ever respond to BBB complaints. They're not even registered with the BBB, and for good reason, as they'd have a lousy rating.

My landlord emailed me this morning telling me he had warned me not to go with Mediacom, and I responded that I didn't realize that their customer service was THAT bad.

GOOD RIDDANCE, MEDIACOM.

Comments:

MediacomChad

rblilly,

I completely understand your frustration with the issues you have had thus far. I will be more than happy to look into them from here. Can you send me an IM with your account or phone number?

3 edits

(personal info removed-tmpchaos)
In addition to the problems I'm already having, there was an area outage today, and my phone was down most of the day, and I think there was one earlier this week

I've reported Mediacom to the Better Business Bureau in NY, and have not only asked for the 90 day money back guarantee of the 129.00 I paid, but an additional 100.00 for pain and suffering in missed important business calls, losing minutes on my cell phone that I had to use when the landline was down, etc.....and I've asked that the refund not take 4-6 weeks as promised, but that I receive it a lot sooner for my trouble

I was told by a tech that my area has had problems for at least the 2 years that he's worked for the company and it's gotten worse in the past three weeks. He states that lines coming into my apartment are fine, that it's a neighborhood issue, and that maintenance workers are being called in from another city to work on it because Jefferson City doesn't have enough. I was told by a supervisor that there is no time frame of when this issue will be resolved.

I feel I've given Mediacom every opportunity to resolve this problem, and I can not continue not having phone service on a daily basis, and therefore called Direct TV this morning --from my cell I might add, since I didn't have service.

Mediacom has a C+ rating from the BBB site and most complaints revolve around service issues. Numerous poor reviews are posted on the Middletown NY Corporate Headquarters site

I WOULD URGE ANYONE LIVING IN THE JEFFERSON CITY MISSOURI AREA NOT TO USE MEDIACOM until they hurry up and get maintenance out to look at all the wires in the entire city to explore where their signal problems are coming from.
Mediacom should be upfront with their prospective customers and tell them ahead of time that they've experienced problems in various neighborhoods of the city. Even the Attorney General's office phone's were down less than a week ago and personnel there were highly aggravated and Mediacom made it a priority to get them fixed, according to the tech who visited my home. Too bad Mediacom isn't making it a priority to fix my phone service or the customers in my area to that degree.

Well, I was editing this review,, but, of course my internet gave out on me this morning, one hour after the tech left, so I'm at the library using a computer.

Techs have been out 6 times now in a three week period. Two came out on Thursday. The first replaced the modem with a used one, saying that I had been using a modem not designed for wireless, like I had signed up for. Since I lost phone service and internet within 1/2 hour of him leaving, they sent three vans out around 5pm and delivered a brand new modem. Within an hour, I could hear my Mom on the other end of the phone saying to my stepfather, "This is ridiculous, he lost phone service again", as we were disconnected. And another call was dropped, this time with a Mediacom rep. I had service overnight and lost it around 10am the following morning, as I usually do. So, I was set up with another tech visit this morning(Saturday). Of course the modem lights were working the way they should, and he checked outside and it appeared OK, so he left without being able to do anything---OR WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING that he may have been able to do.
He also told me that because the modem was brand new, that there was only a two day history on it, so I should wait about a week, and if having problems, he would be able to see a pattern on it at that time. Made me feel like I should have kept the old modem so they would have a two week history on that one.

Tech support keeps telling me that a signal that should be around 0, is up to 12 percent or more, and another one that should be around 30 or better is in the 20's.

People at Mediacom are starting to know me on a first name basis, and probably don't have to pull up my address anymore. My Mom thinks i should charge techs rent for them to live with me to be around when the phone doesn't work.

I emailed my landlord and asked him where he wanted the satellite dish for Direct TV, since i told him I was switching to Centurylink/Direct TV this coming week. He responded that he had warned me not to go with Mediacom. I responded that I didn't realize that Mediacom service was THAT bad. I told him that they gave me next month free for my trouble, and I had been trying to work with them to resolve the issue, but at this point it didn't matter if they gave me a zillion credits on my account, I'm not going to tolerate losing phone/internet service on a daily basis, especially since it seems to occur between the hours of 10am and 4pm. This morning i told the rep, "I know it's going to go out as soon as you leave, probably around 10am"......i checked the clock when it did and it was at 1030am on the button. Hopefully, when i get home this evening around 4 or 5, it will be back on.

My case has been escalated, of course,,,twice i believe. Maintenance is supposed to look into this. The tech told me that hopefully maintenance will be out before Wednesday, and you can stick with Mediacom. With the stress that Mediacom has put me through, that's not going to happen. I'll never be able to trust Mediacom service again, even if they say it's permanently fixed. I'll always wonder, while I'm away from the apartment, if a caller will get "the line's been temporarily disconnected", or whether they'll get my answering machine to pickup.

Good riddance Mediacom.

Re: Service

I definitely do not like to hear a customer is having so many issues and don't want to see you switch to another provider. If there is anything you would like me to look into then just private message me on here. In order to do so you'll have to register with the site.

Anonymous
join:2004-06-01
IA
They will refund any service and installation fees but that's about it. There is no way to expedite the process or that's what I was told a while ago. Area upstream SNR issues are not easy to pinpoint and fix...
I speak for myself, not my employer.

2 edits

Re: Service

well, i'll see what happens....I know customer service will only authorize a refund, but now that the BBB complaint has been submitted to the business, they may respond more favorably than with just a refund.......the NY BBB called me yesterday and said if they don't respond at all, it will take their rating down to a D or F.......so either way I'll be happy,,,I either get what I'm asking for or they get the D or F that they deserve

UPDATE:::::::

Area supervisors were supposed to come to my home yesterday--making Mediacom's visits to my home at number 7......I called Mediacom tech support this morning just to see what they accomplished and the supervisor said they couldn't find anything wrong.

She wanted to schedule an 8th visit tomorrow---actually one's scheduled----I told her I had told Mediacom about a week ago that I had been planning to switch to Centurylink this week, so they had some time to get the problem fixed. She understood my frustration and said she'd try to get them out today during the hours that my phone's usually down and call me back..........of course she hasn't called back.

Thanks for the good customer service, Mediacom-----NOT!
Expand your moderator at work

Re: Service

rblilly - I would love to help here. You never got back to me via PM, would there be a time I could call you and work with area management to get this resolved?

Re: Service

I responded to you and thanks for the response,,,,as you know I've messaged you privately.

NOW I"M GOING TO MESSAGE PUBLICLY::

Centurylink and Direct TV are working great and couldn't ask for better service.

I called on November 1st to disconnect all Mediacom services. They told me it would take a WEEK to disconnect...Never heard of that before. You would think if I wanted the service gone instantly, it would be done instantly.

Anyway, it's November 7th, and I called my old number from my Centurylink new number, just to see what the message says, to see if it indicated disconnection. It states that the number is temporarily out of service. LOL. Tells me that if I still had Mediacom phone and internet, neither would be working at the time of the call. I actually called it twice today, and it said the same thing.

I called customer service to make sure my account had been closed and that my number is being disconnected today--I was thinking to myself NOW YOU CAN"T GET RID OF THEM, like a fly that hangs on you, hoping that you won't leave them for another company.

Customer service says the account was closed today, but a tech has to come out and disconnect the signal coming into my apartment. That should be easy, because there is no signal into my apartment. Fortunately, I don't have to be here, like the other 8 times they had to send out a tech.

I don't understand why people would pay about 98.00 including taxes for lousy service with Mediacom, getting a limited amount of stations, and having to have a modem for each phone, when they can switch to Direct TV/Century link for about 85.00/mo including taxes the first year, for over 300 channels, and since I've got two phone jacks running into the apartment, I can make use of both phones without needing two modems, and I still get fast internet.

Makes you think, doesn't it?

Review by brmwia See Profile

• Location: Walcott,Scott,IA
Good "When it works it it's great"
Bad "When there is a problem customer service and support is pathetic"
Overall "If they had some competion they would be gone."

Once they have an outage that affects bandwidth for an area, you are caught in a never ending loop of support sending tech after tech out who don't do anything but claim a ticket has to be put in for maint. to troubleshoot the area. The techs claim they create the tickets. When you call back in few days to a week to report the nothing has been done and support says no ticket was created and another tech has to come out.

The only thing you can do to get there attention is demand they credit your account, which oddly enough they seem happy to do.

Bottom line is support is worthless and it takes forever to get things done! The only reason they stay in business is they have no competition.

Comments:

MediacomChad

Service

You frustration with the issues you have had thus far is completely understandable. I see I am talking to you privately about this issue already. As soon as I get any update from the escalation I sent up, I will followup with you privately and we will proceed accordingly.

chandonh

Re: Service

same problem in waterloo,exact same problem,maintence has never come out,techs been out 4 times,still have to reset the router every hour

From Illini

Re: Service

Experiencing the same problem in Illinois. They are sending a tech out to the house but it would be a couple of days. I am stuck with Mediacom for 4 years with an average of $170.00 per month with internet and cable. Their customer service sucks! Considering dumping them and going the route of Hulu Plus and Netflix- and their techs are rude and lazy!

Review by CappinHoff See Profile

• Location: Des Moines,Polk,IA
Good "Fast speed, good package price with cable/phone/net"
Bad "Internet hardware"
Overall "Good deals if you talk to the right people."

Had CenturyLink and was getting tired of the issues with their network. Talked to a door to door sales person and got a great deal. $9.95 net for a year, then $14.95 a year the next year. Also got cheap phone and cable. Installation was quick and easy. The only issue I've had so far is the modems they use.

First phone modem we got was some odd named one. Worked for about 2 weeks then started to randomly disconnect. Found out that anytime I would use a decent amount of bandwidth the modem would stop working. No lights. Got a different modem, an RCA. Worked fine for a month then the same issue. This time the lights stayed on and it appeared to be working, but no connection. This only happens with the bandwidth started getting used. Seems my only solution will be to split the phone/net into two modems. One for phone, one for net.

I'll update once that happens.

Comments:
Maitri

join:2012-09-16
Springfield, MO

Modems

The modems do that because Mediacom is too cheap to buy new ones. They just refurbish old models that others return and reuse them. Welcome to the cheap side of the Internet!

Re: Modems

They don't buy them anyways. They lease them. So that's a little different. Since it's a phone modem anyways, there isn't much of a selection.

Tars

Re: Modems

They also DISABLE most of the features on their equipment before giving it to their customers... MEaning, their boxes are CRIPPLED if you are electronically literate...

**5/17/13** review update

**5/17/13**
So the same issue is still there, the modem. Everything else works great. Just the disconnecting of the modem under load. Signals are fine.

From what I gather the phone modem can't handle high bandwidth usage. Since I game and stream with netflix and other various online services it just can't handle it. Resolution..... get another modem dedicated solely for the net.

It's ridiculous that I have to do this at my expense. They need to get better modems that can withstand high bandwidth usage.

Re: **5/17/13** review update

I do apologize you're still having this issue. I would like to try and get this taken care of for you. Please private message me.

Re: **5/17/13** review update

It's not your fault. I blame RCA in reality.

Irritated and unhappy

Very long time customer that was very happy with service until September when the unneeded data caps were instituted to all customers.

Not really understanding why customers that had previous accounts got lumped into the data caps? We were told we'd be unlimited since we had accounts from before. Then out of no where that changed. I've heard and seen the reasons, but let's be honest it's not about lack of bandwidth. Since it's been stated that only %3 of accounts actually go above the allotted cap. Why should customers in good standing and long time customers be forced into something unnecessary?

I know I'll be told to upgrade to a bigger package, but that means paying more for something I and others should have to pay for. It's not really fair to customers who have been overly loyal to a company that shows little loyalty, only thinking about the $$$.

Something needs to change and it needs to change fast. Many were happy with being grandfathered into the caps since you had an account before a certain date you retained your unlimited cap, but now it's not that way and people are unhappy.

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero

join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN

Re: Irritated and unhappy

Sadly, this is becoming a trend with ISPs, and it sucks. We all know this is a "because we can" thing and has nothing to do with bandwidth, but an easy way to grab extra cash from people who they feel are "abusing" the network. I'm sure they're also using this to keep us on CATV. Of course, being known as a rural provider, they know that most of us have limited or no other choices. Maybe we should all move to an area that uses fiber (Google!)

Re: Irritated and unhappy

The big clincher here is only %3 of all the Data customers ever go over that limit. On top of that Mediacom is one the highest grossing ISP's. As for google, they have caps(soft), and they are instituting hard caps soon. I think eventually Mediacom will redact their caps just like Comcast did.

Review by chris92 See Profile

• Location: Milan,Rock Island,IL
Good "Reliable, and Fast Speeds"
Bad "Initial Install, and phone tech support, Data Cap"
Overall "Extremly incompetent Phone Tech Support, but the actual service is pretty good!"

Reliability: I only had Mediacom go down once for a couple hours in the 3 months I've had them. I wouldn't say that's too bad.

Speed: This has been very consistent. After finally getting 30Mbit service, it has been a solid 4.43Mbytes down (~33.5Mbit on Speedtest.net) every time! Considering we live in a house that is a good 3 miles away from the city, that is pretty good!

Data Cap: pretty bad. The first 2 months, I reached to about 85% of my 350GB cap. I have since upgraded to a 999GB cap.

Initial Install/Tech Support: Extremely incompetent. See story below.

Online Tech Support: MediacomChad has been very quick to respond, and great so far!

My Story:

Starting out in June of 2013, I decided to go with Mediacom, because AT&T DSL only offered 3Mbit service to our new house. We came from having AT&T phone service, and wanted to transfer the phone to the new house. Initial call to order service was okay; they offered what seemed to be a pretty good deal - 30Mbit Prime Plus service and Phone add-on for $69.99 + modem + taxes. Time from the call to the actual installation, was around 5 days (including a weekend). I went with a recommendation from people at work to get the Motorola SB6120, so I bought this for $59 on Amazon.

Initial Install:

This (seemed) good; the install tech initially insisted that we backfeed the telephone wiring so we can get phone service to all phone jacks. I didn't want him messing around with that, so I insisted that he didn't. (We have a cordless base station with 3 extra phones anyways). When it was time to transfer the phone number over to the new modem. It didn't work. The tech spent about an hour on the phone with several phone calls "trying" to get it to work. Once he gave up, he activated the Prime Plus internet, and it worked as advertised (about 33Mbit down, and 2.3 up). He scheduled for another tech to come back in 3 days to fix the phone transfer.

Since the Motorola modem didn't arrive by install time, the tech installed a Cisco modem with a built-in wireless. That worked okay - the wireless signal didn't really reach outside of the house. When the modem arrived (the afternoon of the initial install), I plugged it in, and activated it on the Mediacom Walled Garden Site very easily. This, paired to an Asus RT-N66U router made quite the pair!

Trouble Started:

That night, when I was downloading some files, I notice that the speed wasn't quite fast. And so, I did a Speedtest. Low and behold, I was getting a very solid 3Mbit down and 500Kbit up. First thing I thought was that great, they misunderstood me the whole time thinking I said 3Mbit instead of 30Mbit. I decided to wait until the tech to come to fix the phone to discuss this issue.

2nd Tech Arrives:

When the second tech arrived, the phone transfer worked with ease through the Mediacom Walled Garden Site. I could have certainly done this myself without the tech arriving. Then I asked him about the internet speed, and why I'm only getting 3Mbit down. He looks on his sheet and says, "Yes, you ordered the Launch Speed". Uhh no I didn't, I ordered 30Mbit service. The tech said he couldn't do anything about it, and that I would have to call up tech support.

1st Call to tech support:

This was about a 25 minute call with a lady that was trying to "figure out what happened" I was on hold for a good 15 minutes of the call, until she said that she would call me back after she talks with her supervisor. She never called back.

2nd Call to tech support:

I called around 11:30 PM that night and talked to a guy who initially looked at it and figured out what happened. But before that, I had to give him my Mom's last 4 of her SS number (It was my mom's name on the account as she was paying for it). I didn't know it, and didn't want to wake her up, so I couldn't do anything at all. I asked about my previous call about this incident with the guy, and he had NO notes that indicated that I called about this. Looking back, the lady from the first call didn't even ask for the last 4 of my Mom's SS number either!

3rd Call to tech support:

I called the next day around 11AM, and another guy answered right away. My mom was with, and we first added me as an "authorized account person". I then explained the entire situation to the the guy, which took a good 5 minutes. He started off checking my modem, and said that the signals were way off, and THAT was why we were only getting 3Mbit service! I finally got an answer!!! So, he wanted to schedule a tech to come out to fix the "signal" problem. He had to transfer me to an agent to do this. It was until I was on hold for 45 minutes, I hung up.

4th Call to tech support:

In frustration, I immediately called back to tech support and got another guy pretty quickly. I explained the entire situation AGAIN for another 10 minutes, expressing my fury (I was pretty angry, and I don't usually get angry). The guy (a pretty young guy) finally ACTUALLY figured out the situation. He, for some reason, figured out that the problem was from the initial set-up, and that the tech had to re-submit the order in trying to get the phone working right. When the tech submitted the order, he ordered the wrong internet! I asked the tech, "But what about my modem signals, the last guy said that they were very bad and that was why the speed was slow?" So the guy took a look, and said that they were excellent (WTF?). And so the guy finally gave me my 30Mbit internet right there on the call, and he rebooted the modem to change it. It worked!!! The only thing that he couldn't do was confirm any prices, but he would submit a ticket to "get it right". So I decided to wait until the first bill came to see the prices.

1st Bill:

The first bill was over $80. It had all kinds of credits, and partial service charges on it, and somehow came to about $80. We went ahead and paid it, even though we paid $69 at the time of the first install. When the second bill came, everything was good, it was a little over $70 which was what I expected.

Online Support:

MediacomChad has been great so far, very quick to respond to questions. I was curious if 105Mbit service was available in my area, and sure it was! He arranged for a sales guy to call me back. Unfortunately the first guy didn't give me a deal, so I declined.

After a few more calls to the sales department, I finally got a deal to get 105Mbit service for $79 internet + $4.95 Phone + $5 Phone Modem + taxes. First calls to the Sales Department quoted me "at least $149 for 105 internet and phone" I knew I could get better, so I gave it another shot, and they quoted me $99 for 105Mbit + "something more" for phone, but they couldn't do it now until the weekday. So I called back on the weekday, and finally settled on the first mentioned deal.

After getting 105Mbit service, I noticed that I wasn't actually getting 105Mbit service. I was getting about 60Mbit down, and 6Mbit up. I messaged MediacomChad, and he is currently working to get this resolved.

Update: MediacomChad has resolved the issue very quickly, and now I'm seeing 100+ Mbits!

member for 5.5 years, 310 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MediacomChad

1 recommendation

Service

Hi Chris, I'm sorry to hear about the experience you've had with our other support teams- it's certainly not the way business should be handled. I'm glad to be working with you here, though, to help get these issues resolved! You should have a new IM waiting from me, but definitely feel free to let me know if there is anything I can do for you now or in the future!
chris92

join:2008-09-20
Coal Valley, IL

Re: Service

Thank you again for the help so far!! You've been a lot better to work with! Highly recommended.

Joe Dirt

@frontiernet.net

Service.

LOL service from Mediacom more like lack of service and crappy triple play bundles. Yes let me rely on a phone service that goes out 3 times a day along with the internet. I had them for a few months with many tech visits and they plowed new cable to my house and it still wasn't fixed. They also cut Frontiers drop to my house at ground level so when I switched back to Frontier I had to get a new drop plowed in. Great company to avoid. I had nothing but problems but I'm glad you are getting better service. I'm just glad I got back to a reliable phone and internet service provider. maybe slower but it stays on and my phone always works. Dishnetwork bundled tv service has much better HD picture quality than Mediacom also.

Mediacom sux

-1 recommendation

Mediacom = Total extortionists

MEDIACON SUCKS! THEY ARE TOTAL EXTORTIONISTS! The internet's bandwidth has gotten 100X faster and it is CHEAPER to provide that bandwidth than ever before... So of COURSE Mediacon gives us LESS bandwidth, CAPS us to death and charges us more than EVER!!! Notice how that it the exact OPPOSITE of "passing along the savings to the customer"? They are total liars and they do not care about their customers at ALL! They will nickel and dime you to death and even CHARGE you $60 if you make them come out and they "can't find the problem". (That's their way of getting you to stop calling and forcing you to live with their crappy service.)

Review by crucify See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,De Kalb,IN
Good "It's fixed and works as should"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "No contract pricing is good"

·Frontier Communi..
Finally, hell has frozen over and MC has fixed the 2.5 years of frustration in my neck of the woods.

Very pleased at this time, the quality of service for internet and phone is back to the way it was a few years back.
The TV will always be sub-par compared to DTV/Dish

Update: 11/10/11
The issues with tech support are being addressed in my area, in fact they are doing a very good job now!

Update: 4/14/12
Back to the same crap once again. This time they simply refuse to care.
It has been well over 2 months now and I get the drift that they are done at this point.
No bother from the local office in even putting a effort into getting the service fixed.
I can not speak lower of this company!

Update: 5/30/12
The uncaring attitude from this company is beyond anything one could compare it to.
Not one call or a single attempt to rectify the problems since April. Nothing at all, it is as if they are telling me to bend over and take it. They simply do not care.
I'm done with this sorry excuse of a company. Returned all equipment for good.

Update: 6/26/13
I was talked into giving MC another chance, so far I'm glad I did.
The net and TV issues from before seem to have been resolved in my area.

Update: 8/16/13
Had 50/5 installed today. All I can say is it's fantastic. MC has resolved all issues in my area.
Mediacom Chad is worth way more than anyone could imagine. There were a few bumps in the road with communications on all fronts. Chad stepped in and cleared up the situation.
I'm more than pleased with the service they provide!

member for 8 years, 1350 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jimhamilton See Profile

• Location: Emmetsburg,Palo Alto,IA
Bad "None at the moment."
Overall "Consistent speeds and improving customer support."

I've had it now for almost 2 years. The advertised speed went from 5000/256 to 8000/512 but my download speed rarely exceeds 5500. I do like the increased upload speed. I have been annoyed with down times ranging from a few minutes to several hours but they have been getting rarer. Overall I have been happy with it.

12/26/2007 - My speed jumped to 6500-6800 which made me happy. I then switched my old 802.11b router with a Linksys WRT54G which allowed consistent 7500/490 speeds.

04/25/2008 - Been running into a lot of slow time. Download speed will drop to 500 - 1500 for a day or two and then jump back up to a normal 7500 - 7600. I was also sent an info pack saying since I have all 3 services (cable, internet, phone) I will get a free upgrade to 10000/1000 but I haven't seen any change yet.

6/27/2008 - Finally got upgraded to 10000/1000. Tested at 9365/945 so that's nice. I've been having a lot of slow time though when I'll be lucky to have 20% of that and it'll last for a couple of days.

7/17/2008 - Went an entire evening of no service but it seems that was due to repairs. Have been getting consistent 9300-9600kbps downloads. Even during high traffic times it doesn't drop below 7500kbps. and that is rare. My upload speeds are always 930-960kbps.

8/09/2008 - Mediacom seems to be testing Web-boost. Uploads are the same but have been getting 14000-18000kbps downloads.

10/18/2008 - Service seems to be either very fast (10,000-30,000kbps) or very slow (800-2500) with very slow being by far the most common.

11/15/2008 - Getting better with less slow times.

6/26/2009 - Modem went out so I had to call customer service. Surprise! I didn't have to wait forever, the automated troubleshooter was quick and easy and I got to talk to someone within 2 minutes when the automated troubleshooter couldn't figure out my problem. I had a service tech at my house by 11:00 the next morning and he switched modems for me. I'm happy (for now).

12/07/10 - Consistent 15MB/1.85MB speeds. Little down time.Looking good.

12/29/11 - Dropped their telephone service so price went up $10/mo. Speed dropped to 10MB/.85MB with 12MB being advertised. The automated telephone support has worked well for me and I'm able to talk to someone a lot faster when I need to.

08/06/13 - Consistent 20MB/1.75MB speeds. No issues really. It's been very reliable.

member for 12 years, 5253 visits, last login: a few hours ago