Frontier Internet page on DSLReports

Review by chernoff

• Location: Ithaca,Tompkins,NY
Good "Reliable"
Bad "Costly"
Overall "Rates are going up"

Frontier:

Ithaca, NY

2 year contract many years ago, now month to month

Service of interest is called High-Speed Internet Max but
forced bundling with some unused/unneeded services
(TumTiki, Mail, regular phone)

Net: about 70/month including taxes

Speed: less than advertised (only 2.5-3 down, less than 1 up)
Can't use netflix, even pandora hiccups.

Local installers are fine (formally Citizens)

Company has recently added extra, non-discretionary monthly modem fee
(whether its their modem or yours) to the tune of 100/yr.

Pretty expensive for the speed delivered. Recently the
the original modem they provided died and they
insisted on raising the rates via an added fee WHETHER OR NOT
YOU OWN YOUR OWN MODEM.

(review was emailed from domain astro.cornell.edu)

• Location: Alexander,Franklin,IA
Good "? we can actually access the internet and be connected --- ? ---"
Bad "Stuck inside a perpetual telco monopoly in a climate of perpetual denial"
Overall "Even their techs who show up brag how THEY have 18 Meg cable connections at home and not this poor service!"

Slowest Internet Grade 1 DSL one meg download. Cost $60/month. Now they give a 2 meg
download.

Service frequently degrades and when you call them they deny there is any problems.

DSL Service was running at 33.6K according to speed tests over entire portion of their service area, and when you called them they insisted that there were no outages even though there was 13 trouble tickets and call in from one community in the area.

Out in the midwest, you are stuck in a rural area that has only their service, no other cable or phone company covers the area. They are an outright monopoly. They even have it where voip like Vonage will not work in the area - the ports and channels for that are disabled throughout the area.

Their latency is miserable. It takes from 5 to 25 seconds for a URL to
resolve and return with content - on their DSL lines.

(review was emailed from domain macwebtown.net)

Comments:

journell

@frontiernet.net

High speed internet????

Why is it when you say you have high speed internet you don't tell your customer that it depends on the area where they live. I.E. I contact Tech Support and then Customer Service because my computer was so slow when typing that I had to wait at least 8 second or more for the sentence to appear on my screen. I was told that I was only getting 3 to 4 mgs instead of 7 and that it was the area where I lived in why it's slow. They also suggested I turn the computer off and then back on. It doesn't make a difference. I would not recommend Frontier to anyone. Unfortunately we switched from Time Warner to Direct TV and had to get Frontier. What a HUGE mistake. They say "you get what you pay for" .

• Location: Kanosh,Millard,UT
Good "It does technically work much of the time"
Bad "It does not work particularly well, much of the time"
Overall "Lousy"

We were warned that we probably wouldn't get great speeds out where we live,
because of how big our DSL loop is. Turns out, it isn't big, but they were
right that we sure do get lousy speeds. I've never seen more than about half
of the theoretical 1.5 Mbps the connection might theoretically handle, and
upload is nearly dial-up speed much of the time. Latency varies widly from
decent to crappy to downright awful.

On the billing front, we told them four or five times to change our mailing
address, which they'd gotten in the wrong city. The last time we called, it
was because we'd finally managed to get our hands on a termination notice they
sent (still to the wrong address) after not paying the bills they'd also sent
to the wrong address. Only we had been paying them, online, regularly.

So yes, I'm a "I'd take something else if it were available."

• Location: Normal,Mclean,IL
Good "Not much I can think of"
Bad "Slow, unreliable"
Overall "Don't use them unless you have to"

Out of 5 stars I would give them a zero. Wish I had never switched from
Comcast. The service wasn't terrible when we first signed up last fall,
although I was disappointed 3mb was the fastest they had here in
Bloomington/ Normal IL. Now though the internet generally goes down 2-3
times per week so we have to incessantly reset our modem and router for it
to work. As of this morning it's been down for a couple hours and won't
come back up after multiple resets. If you must sign up with Frontier
because they're the only option, keep their number on speed dial. You're
going to need it.

• Location: Rivesville,Marion,WV
Good "Customer Service is always very polite ad tech support is as helpful as they can be"
Bad "constantly dropping internet service, or slowing down to a crawl."
Overall "Ever since Verizon sold out to Frontier, service has steadily declined."

Like others on this board, I too live in a rural area but have had DSL for almost 5 years“ the first 4.5 years with Verizon - I have no other choices. Although I had a problem with Verizon that took a few months to fix a few years back, for the most part the service was good even though I live 3.1 miles away from the main station. My best was only 1.5 mbps and that is what I was paying for. Then Verizon sold to Frontier. The first 3 months everything was fine “ I also signed up with Frontier for a package deal. Now, for the past three months, I have service drops several times a day, or slow downs to a crawl. Techs (the same ones that worked for Verizon and have worked on my system before) have been out 6 times now and have changed everything from the modem ("the old Verizon modems don't work well with our new system") to filters, to cutting an old phone line (because "it may be attracting moisture".) If it rains, I can be guaranteed that my internet will go down. If the sun shines, I can be guaranteed that my internet connection will slow to a crawl. The only way I can get back close to 1.5 mbps is to reboot the modem - and I do this several times a day. It stays at that speed for maybe an hour or so, then drops back down to around .10, or 0.

The field techs can't solve this. I've tried talking to Tech support at their 800 number and all they do is reschedule an appointment with the same techs that can't fix this problem. Important: I had internet service for 4.5 years before Frontier came along and IT WORKED. After 5 years, my service should be IMPROVING, not DECLINING. I really wish someone would fix this.

(review was emailed from domain frontier.com)

• Location: Franklin,Macon,NC
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Decent speeds as originally set with Verizon"
Bad "Numerous and lengthy outages and terrible customrer service"
Overall "Incredibly disappointed and frustrated with the unrealiable service from this company"

I have been stuck with this company here in Western, NC since Verizon sold
us. We have been experiencing terrible outages over the last three months or
so, twelve plus hours at a time. I can never get through to customer support
during these times. Today I was disconnected four times before finally
making It through their automated system to hear they already knew they had
an outage in North Carolina.

These outages affect my personal and professional life and I am looking for
a way out. Would love to find a decent ISP that we can rely on. Things were
never this bad with Verizon.

LF

Very unhappy Frontier client

(review was emailed from domain trilliumkennels.com)

Comments:
hampton21

join:2011-08-03
Westfield, IN

suckz ballz

I have had frontier internet for a couple months now the guy who installed it said it was great for x-box live really u lied it suckz ballz for x-box live if u read this and thinking of gettin it for x-box don't do it Itz so slow I can barely play anything frontier needs to stop lying bout high speed internet and actually get high speed internet or just do the world a favor and go out of business fix ur crap or quit Lying to people

• Location: Saint Paul,Dakota,MN
Good "Great field service."

My DSL modem died yesterday (Sunday), I called tech support who attempted to
help me, but it was decided that the modem was indeed dead. The tech support
person entered a ticket and by the time I arrived home from work on Monday a
pre-configured modem was sitting on my doorstep. I plugged it in and it was
ready to go. Great, great, great service.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by LightS See Profile

• Location: Granbury,Hood,TX
Good "Underpromise, overdeliver!"
Bad "Pings aren't too great"
Overall "Great ISP if you can't get DSL or Cable, but aren't a serious gamer."

I got Frontier Broadband Wireless Internet installed two weeks ago ( May 6 ) and everything thing has been great!

The order process was simple.. We went to their website, and set up a "Site Survey" In which they come out here and see if they can install it.. If they can install it, they do!

So, he came out here and installed it, took about 2 hours (He had to leave to get a cable he had forgotten, took about 20 minutes) Install went perfect! The technician was very friendly, and answered all of our questions with great answers.

We ordered the 384kbps up/down plan, and I haven't even gotten a speed that low yet.. We get about 890kbps Average (Which is fine with me, i've been dialup for years) And at times, we get about 1.4mbps.

When you install the service, you start out with a Virtual Private IP. You can get a free Dynamic IP Address if you just call them.

Sadly, my pings haven't been too great.. Since it's basicly a small Radio on top of my home, to a tower, then to the main tower, it's kind of iffy pingwise. I ping the tower at about 30ms, so I usually don't get pings too low. My pings sometimes jump from 50ms to 130ms during a game or something.

Otherwise, it is a very good ISP ! Espescially if you can't get DSL or Cable internet, which I personally would prefer.

I intend to stick with this ISP for a while until something better comes to my area (Sadly, if it becomes available tomorow, we won't be getting it any time soon, because the $200 Setup Price [its worth it, trust me!] )

Comments:

Review by ChipH See Profile

• Location: Mcgregor,Aitkin,MN
Good "Business Class ADSL in my Remote Northern Minnesota Cabin"
Bad "Still a bit expensive for 1MB down/512Kb up"
Overall "Much happier with ADSL than Direcway/HughesNet"

I have installed Frontiernet's Business Class (needed a fixed IP for my router and webcams) ADSL at my cabin in northern minnesota. Been waiting almost two years.

I am extrememly pleased so far with the performance (65MS ping times versus 800-1500 via Direcway). No more storm outages, even though Direcway improved with the introduction of the DW7000. Uplink is so much faster for my webcams compared with Direcway as well.

I could have paid $69.00 per month with a two year commitment, but did not want to get locked-in to anything longer than 1 year. There contract is binding for the entire term whether you use it or not ... you pay the entire agreement term or what's left.

Comments:

Review by curtisk2 See Profile

• Location: Frankford,ON
Good "Better Than Dialup"
Bad "Service, reliability"
Overall "Choose Someone Else"

I live in Rural Ontario where neither cable nor DSL are available to me. A friend told me about a new wireless radio high speed internet service available in the area. How it works is they place a radio modem on your roof, and point it at their radio modem mounted on a telecommunications tower. This technology has been around for a long time in the industrial sector for data acquisition and control systems. This high speed internet for the lay person is essentially the same so I thought I would give it a try. It works pretty well, when it works. This is where I would like to caution anyone considering using Frontier Communications from Belleville Ontario.

One day my internet service suddenly became slow, slower than dial up, could only receive email, not send, and most web pages that had a click to see the next page button just wouldn’t work. I gave them a few days over the weekend to get things fixed but no luck. I called on a Monday morning to find out what the problem was. I was told the local college radio station was causing interference with there signal and to complain to the college. Made sense, so that’s what I did. I got an email back from the owner of the communications tower stating that I was misinformed by Frontier Communications and that all clients using the tower sign a contract with them to ensure there is no interference from any other client using the tower. But this was not the case with Frontier Communications, he stated Frontier Communications would not / did not sign a contract, and are at risk of having there signal interfered with by his clients and that the local college had followed all requirements and was not to blame. I confronted Frontier Communications about this but they said is this wasn’t true and did not explain or offer any further information. Guess I caught them in a little white lie. Oh yeah, and my complaint to CRTC on behalf of Frontier, not there problem. To make a long story short, I was without service for five long weeks. Good thing I kept my dial up account as a back up.

Since this episode began I have learned that Frontier Communications is a very, very small company. A small company with very limited resources. The business appears to be run my one person, the owner, who uses part time guys to help him out. I think that is why it took five weeks to get me up and running again. They say it took five weeks because of weather to climb the tower and move their antennae. I doubt it. Also the website goes into detail about their Technical Support, there is no technical support. I have never ever once phoned in and got anyone, I either have to leave a message, or the owners wife answers the phone and says someone will get back to me. They never do, they don’t answer email requests for technical support.

As for the speed of their service, it’s all over the place at any given time, but overall it’s not bad, and I like it better than dial up. A DSL speed report just prior to sending this was 167down/46up, just after writing this the first test was 255 down/25 up and the second test was 62 down/49up and the third was 589down/58up. As you can see I kept going until I got a good reading to be fair. I have also noticed that during heavy rain events the service really slows down or doesn’t work, I am a little worried about snow events this winter as well.

My big mistake, other that signing up with Frontier, is that I paid for one year in advance so I would not have to deal with the monthly bill. My mistake, I asked for a refund for the five weeks of no service, to which the answer was no. I asked for a refund of my prepaid service and that I would like to pay monthly, the answer was no.

In the end, I guess I have complained to much to them, they don’t return phone calls or emails so I am on my own now. To them, I guess five weeks of no service is not a big deal and that I complain too much.