WOW Internet and Cable page on DSLReports

Review by John44 See Profile

• Location: Berkley,Oakland,MI
Good "It works I guess."
Bad "Next to everything"
Overall "WOW is horrible"

It nice to see other reviews confirming the nightmare that WOW Internet and Cable has become. I have been a customer for 10 years and lately their astonishing incompetence in customer service is beyond any customer service I have ever dealt with in any industry.

Long story as short as possible is that they have managed to charge me 3 shut off fees of $40 each in the month of January when I have made a $200 payment on January 15th. I receive a call from a collections person on Saturday trying to get the remaining balance and she is so over the top disgruntled and says there are no exceptions to not paying right this second she blocks something on my account to where I can't even talk to the initial cust services reps any more and the rep disconnected my service. I did not miss type that. The (second) disgruntled representative disconnected my account and scheduled a tech to come out and disconnect.

There are no words to describe the level incompetence from this customer service team. I have never experienced this level of ridiculousness, ever, with anything.

This is just the latest issue, I have notes I've typed in my computer documenting all the other ways they have screwed me around throughout the last year.

Oddly enough. I am actually trying to give this company my money to continue service because switching providers and entering into a new 2 year contract is something I don't want to deal with right now. WOW cable definitely exists in some bizarre corner of the twilight zone.

If there is any help anyone can offer to contact someone a manager or someone of authority who can help me directly at WOW in my area I would be grateful. Thank you.

Comments:

bella

wow cable

you won't get no where with customer service I just got cut of for fighting with them about my bill especially my phone bill and this has been going on for over a year of them charging me for call I never made and if you don't do what they want they cut you off. I had paid some bills twice. They only do what they want if they claim you owe a certain amount and you don't pay it you get cut off any way they can find they will cut you off. That is why I just let them cut me off even though I didn't even have no phone all not even a cell because these companies anymore do and say what they want the customer is never right any more and they can get away with it all and never have paid one red cent back to you it always credit on your bill or they just trash you credit and i am not going to keep on paying 2 or 3 or year over and over anymore. I am fed up that all these companies can get away with all this and never pay for it but let us do it and we go to jail and get our credit trash and threaten and I have had this happen to right at my house so be careful.

Mairie

Re: wow cable

They are like talking to robots. Don't bundle, then you are stuck for sure.

Mrs White

@spcsdns.net

Best Cable service

The cable Guy "Dana" that works for Wow is Great! We have had WOW since the beginning & we are very happy w/ our service.

The White Family
West Panama City Beach Florida

jean N

@73.8.111.x

wow in 60646

It would be nice if wow company would provide services here at Kilpatrick st. at 60646. I really hate Comcast provider, there service with their client in the phone has getting bad, and when they give you a deal or package, they said they will change it, but instead you get either the same plan or your bill gets high. They becoming deceiving with their customer, and I really don't like them, I will WOW company would cover this area

WOW HATER 99

Re: wow in 60646

I just have to say that wow is the worst cable in America!!

Review by jmm59361 See Profile

• Location: Warren,Macomb,MI

I used to work there. Had my services reduced to Ultra TV basic, 15mbps and ESS phone. Now the bill is $176, that is only the start of the issue. It's funny that when a employee my services were great, paying customer - have had to call a few time. Internet goes in and out, some channels work, some don't. Oh just reset the gateway, why should I pay top dollar for crap services. Now I see why the cable company is broke. The people at WOW are great, service is second rate, that is what you get for cheap cable. Will be looking at other providers.

Comments:

Review by oakwoody See Profile

• Location: Knoxville,Knox,TN
Good "It's not Comcast."
Bad "D/L speed not as advertized."
Overall "It's like a box of chocolate."

I signed up for WOW 30Mbps unlimited broadband service. I confirmed with the sales rep that connection speed would not be throttled under any circumstances. The installation was quick and painless since the property was already wired for Comcast. I was able to get 30 Mbps down, 5 Mbps up. After a few weeks of moderate Netflix use, download speed dropped to 5-7 Mbps for about a week. Whether this was a fluke or WOW throttling the connection, I don't know. Now I'm getting ~20 Mbps on average, but nowhere near the 30 Mbps that was advertized. WOW tech support is hit and miss. I started with a rental cable modem and later on purchased my own cable modem. Getting WOW to provision the new cable modem was a comcastic experience. I was told that my line was provisioned as a VOIP line and they couldn't enable my cable modem until they "rebuilt the account"(!?!). I had to call WOW again and again for a few days, until I managed to get a CSR who told me that the previous CSRs had been making up stuff, and was able to provision my cable modem on the spot (thanks, "Henry")! Still, compared to my previous experiences with AT&T and Comcast, WOW has been a pleasant surprise.

Comments:

Review by an3951 See Profile

• Location: Brook Park,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Fast Install, Many option"
Bad "Works great as long as nothing serious goes wrong"
Overall "WOW Use to be a good company but that dramatically changed in 2014"

Back when I became a customer of WOW my bill was $54. In January of 2014 it had jumped to $141.

I have only had basic cable and internet so it isn't like I added premium services, but as of now I am done with paying high prices for crappy content. Not that it is all WOW's fault but over the years they kept adding channels (which they claimed enhanced it's service) but 90% of those channels were junk and virtually nobody watched them. Now it seems that much of the programming drivel is of low quality, full of scripted (so called) reality. I don't know how many channels are connected to basic cable but in the last year I only watch a total of six with three of them being the main network channels that come over the air for free. Because WOW introduced their $2 sports fee and doubled the network broadcast fee they have increased my bill another $9 a month, but they don't call it a price increase because it isn't part of their package deal. What a joke!

With January right around the corner and with another round of price hikes on their way I have dumped the video portion as a start. I plan on just getting the crappy content over-the-air for free.

I am sure that other cable providers are playing similar games so it isn't just WOW, it is the dirtiness of ALL of the cable providers that leads me to give up on all of them.

Say goodbye to another loyal customer that put up with your crap for 11 years paying you over $10,000 over the course of time. Tell me? Was it worth the $2 sports fee? Was it worth charging $7 for something that is given to the public for free? It would have been better that you buried those fees into your next price increase so people couldn't see how outrageous things have gotten.

WOW cable dumped on 12/05/2014 due to poor signal, rate increases and the lack of willingness to work with a loyal customer.

WOW just keeps ramming in home. I just got my bill and they charged me $50 because they sent a tech out to put a filter cap on the line. Heaven forbid I might be tempted to steal their poor quality video stream.

Everyone be aware of the games this company is playing. They don't seem to care how much negative attention it is collecting.

Comments:
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

Kirk

You need to contact Kirk who is the VP of the Cleveland System.

GlenEllyn

@wideopenwest.com

Similar Issue occurred for me...

... last December. Flakey daily internet service for 4-5 weeks. I rent their modem. I have phone service. Techs can check cable signal strength. If the is o.k. then most WoW techs are useless. In my decade of being with WoW, I found only one tech who was technically astute and customer service originated who actually diagnosed and fixed a problem. My problem eventually went away. I conjecture WoW network upgrades, load balance, etc. were taking place but no support personnel would even acknowledge that to be a possibility.

smith288

join:2005-02-07
Westerville, OH

Added useless channels

Most of those channels are forced on WOW by conglomerates like Disney to continue to have the right to show ESPN. It puts cable operators at a very extreme disadvantage when the costs go up but if they were to not carry the network, they would lose customers.

Imagine the outcry of OSU fans if Fox (who is majority owner of BTN) forced Fox Soccer on Wow! basic lineup even though Soccer doesnt get many eyes but if Wow! doesnt agree, then BTN is pulled from their basic lineup.

Ala carte seems like the answer but then networks you might like but aren't highly viewed channels wouldn't make it because they are propped up by network agreements like I explained above.

Customers just can't win and neither can cable operators against companies like Disney, Turner, Fox and movie channels.
anakin415

join:2014-11-17
Chicago, IL

Agreed

In Chicago South, we have 2 other options and satellite. Neither I would want to pay for. I certain markets it seems that WOW knows they have people stuck in a corner and are taking advantage of it.
an3951

join:2001-02-18
Brook Park, OH

Re: Agreed

Only way to win is not play their game. Everyone needs to weigh the cost they pay (Usually $100+) vs what that watch. I found I only watched 3 cable stations and a hand full of shows. It just isn't worth having video service anymore. Most things can be found (legally) for a lot less money.

wo2012

@CWRU.Edu

which one is better?

It seems that all tv providers are compete in one game - which one will better chit and rip off the customers! WOW that used to be the best company around now is leading in price increase, which is up to 40% a month! They do not care about losing half of their loyal customers...they will make it up by increasing 50% price for the rest.

Review by tperl See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "installer, price"
Bad "ultra tv"
Overall "fair"

We switched from At&t uverse due to price hikes. The initial price quote Wow gave was similiar to the old promo price I had been paying for uverse. We signed up for ultra tv and 15/1 internet. Installer (subcontractor) called ahead, was thorough and ran new wire to the bedroom (uverse was wireless). The ultra tv guide is lousy and sometimes barely works. The ultra tv box is bulky and not very quiet. I put in my own router for wifi because the ultra tv wifi signal only goes about 20 feet. We have a similiar speed and similiar channel lineup to uverse.

update: I wanted to add Starz, wow rep wanted $14 a month. I told rep uverse does not charge for this on u300. I was able to get rep to lower our bill so it only went up approx $2 with Starz (claimed they could not discount Starz).

update 9/10/14 - My wife insisted on switching back to uverse. At&t installed on Saturday after a slight delay for outside wiring issues. Wow was supposed to come today to pick up boxes but never showed. I downgraded a few rankings after I was reminded how much better uverse is compared to wow ultra tv.

Comments:

Drk

@198.118.131.x

WOW Has Lost Their Way

I'd been a loyal WOW TV & Internet customer for many years, even when their technician had no idea what the problem was (I used to be a cable tech, I had to tell him what was wrong down the street).
Yes, I'd have to call every year to get a discount to keep the cost in line and they always managed to keep me as a customer.

Oct. 2014 a letter informed me my bill would increase by 17%. I called, they dropped it to 8%. In January, 2015, my new bill had been raised by 18%.
I called and was told "We had a rate increase beginning of the year".
"I thought that was what the increase in Oct. was"?
They wouldn't budge.
I called a couple of times trying to get the increase to a reasonable amount (I didn't get a 20% pay raise last year). The last call was actually higher than the first call. I said "If you can't get the cost down by $15.00, I'm going to be dropping WOW service". The fella transferred me to the cancellation dept.

Review by Cable pal See Profile

• Location: Arlington Heights,Cook,IL
Overall "What was once a good cable company is nothing now "

I have been a WOW customer from day one since they took over Ameritech but after many many years I have decided I am getting rid of cable due to recent 25% increase . I feel as a long time customer you will not offer me any other discounts is a joke and a slap in the face. I can order Sling when it comes out or get a dish but if you can't help me after being a customer from day one I have no respect for you or your company anymore.

Comments:

overit

@23.28.141.x

Too many new charges

my wow went up $49.00 here in cleve ohio.. im looking for new

SUZE 2

increase

I am leaving too been a loyal customer and they would not ajust my bill at all

Review by chachster See Profile

• Location: Westerville,Delaware,OH
Good "Pricing (well at least for the 1st year)"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "Good deal for internet"

(1-19-15) Left WOW cable/internet after moving. After moving I chose TWC for Cable/Internet. I'm now back with WOW with only internet and have the 50/5 package on a year promo. So far, so good. Using my own 6141. Using as a second ISP. Seems more consistent than my TWC internet.

------
Old -
Good: Pricing is good. Clear QAM is nice too. Internet speeds good.
Bad: Customer Service wait times over an hour long. Trying to change anything is painful.
Bottom line: If you don't need to call in to Customer Service it is fine.

I decided to switch to WOW for Cable and add their internet also (I now have two ISPs of which one is WOW)

Install was fine. Technician was out, got everything ran, hooked up one HDDVR and got the cableCARD activated.

Decided to drop my other TV provider and called in, a few minutes on hold, talked to someone to upgrade my TV package and was good to go.

Decided to go with my own modem so I had to call in. This is where the experience went downhill. Over an hour on hold. Then once connected to the customer service rep, their system was running so slow to get the modem added to my account. Finally that was done and my owned cable modem was now provisioned.

When I signed up there was a double referral credit so after a couple of months I see the credit, however it was not doubled. I knew I needed to call back in, again, 45 minute hold time to reach a rep. I also needed to have them stop charging me for the returned leased modem so at least I noticed that at the same time. The rep was able to get the lease charge off and credited as they saw that I did return the WOW leased one and after sometime added the additional credit to my account as the double referral deal was lost in the system upgrade.

I've also experienced partial loss of channels twice so far. This was longer than a few hours so that was not something I was expecting. It was HD channels, Music channels... just an odd loss of channels that we view.

I do want to point out that when I turned in the cable modem, I did get an additional cableCARD. With the excellent help of WOW_Dan he was able to get it setup and working for me. If he was not able to I know that I would have yet again been frustrated as I would need to call in and be on hold and hope to get someone that would be able to get the cableCARD provisioned correctly. Kudos to Dan!

I do notice pixelization but infrequent. Internet has been fine to this point.

At this time I would not refer anyone to WOW knowing that if they would need to call in, they will only be faced with long hold times that are unacceptable. I'm hanging in with WOW for now, but I do have another cable provider that runs through my backyard. I've had DirecTV, U-Verse TV, and now WOW. I am fortunate enough to have a choice.

At this time I am running U-Verse Internet along side my WOW Internet as I have not had WOW long enough to see how stable it is.

I do hope that WOW gets the customer service issues fixed and I would be able to refer them. Being only 3-4 months with them I will give them a chance to get their act together. I have always been pleasant to the Customer Service Reps as I know they are not the ones to blame. I put the blame on those that made the decision to "upgrade" as this upgrade has been in place for over a month and customer service hold times are unacceptable. I did also get busy signals and disconnects too.

As of today (12/13/12) I would say to others to keep what you have if you were contemplating a move to WOW due to the issues I've noted. Hopefully this will change an I can change this to a recommend.

member for 12.5 years, 4362 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by RogueJawa See Profile

• Location: Canal Winchester,Franklin,OH
Good "Friendly customer support"
Bad "Dropped one of the main channels I had them for."
Overall "Internet is reliable, don't like their cable changes."

·Frontier Communi..
Update 01/17/15: Tech came today and swapped out my UltraTV equipment for an ARRIS branded modem. Not sure of the model. Speeds seem okay. Fire TV is going with no issues. He told me they introduced a new speed tier if I was at all interested, I'll take a look at it and see how much a month it is. Guy was nice, didn't try to talk me into keeping the UltraTV equipment.

Update 01/05/15: Will be going internet only in a little under two weeks. The order has been placed. They will come out and remove the UltraTV equipment, put a filter on the line to keep me from having video, and provision my modem. I'm debating on whether to buy the Motorola SB6141 or to just use a company modem. I heard from another user recently who was having issues getting their modem properly provisioned and it sounds like a nightmare.

Without modem rental and keeping the protection plan my bill will be $75 for 50/5. I upped my rating for Services/Value because they are giving special internet-only rates for customers and seem very willing to accommodate people who are upset over their recent channel changes. I lowered the rating for Pre Sales, though, because having spoke to a couple of different reps while trying to make my decision I was told by one I needed to drop my Ultra equipment off and just call to have my modem provisioned, then when I called to actually schedule the change I was told a technician needed to come out.. so.. there seems to be some inconsistency there. Not enough to make me lower it by a serious amount though.

I am still very displeased by the loss of BBC America but halving my bill like this will allow me to get season passes for those shows should Amazon offer them. Between that, antenna, Netflix, Hulu, and Prime Video I think I'm all set. Maybe I'll get Sling for ESPN when it launches. I'll put in another update once the install is done.

Update 12/26/14: One single decision has tanked my appreciation for this company: they are dropping BBC America on 12/31/14. As of 01/03/15 I will be internet only. I'll update again with my customer service experience in making that change and update my pricing.

Update 09/10/14:

It's been three months since my install and.. really I have no complaints that make me dislike my service. I do wish the WiFi signal reached a bit further and I wish they provided WatchESPN as part of their online TV offerings. Those are very minor things compared to the fact that I can stream music, video, online game without lag, while allowing my WiiU, PS4, Vita, and 3DS XL to automatically update without a single problem. I have about 9 devices connected via WiFi or Ethernet altogether and don't experience any problems. I have the 30/3 package and my speeds top out at around 30.24 Mbps and 3.23 Mbps. I almost want to upgrade to the 50/5 package just to say I have it even though I don't really need it.

I consider it a great value given the fact that AT&T's max speed for my apartment complex is 12 Mbps down and they want the same amount WOW is charging me for 30.

Picture is crystal clear. The GUI for the ARRIS Media Gateway is slow to respond once in a while. If that's my worst First World Problem I consider myself doing pretty well. I'm also pleased to see the addition of the NFL Network and NFL RedZone channels since the last time I had WOW.

Update 06/09/14 INSTALL:

My appointment was scheduled for between 0900-1100 hours. At 0908 I received an automated call informing me my technician would arrive at 0930. He was extremely prompt; arriving at 0930 on the dot. My technician was Corey and he was extremely polite. He asked me where I wanted each item placed and even ran the cables through the proper holes on the entertainment center to keep everything nice and neat. As I had their UltraTV service a year previously he updated me on the changes that took place, from software updates to hardware updates. He programmed both remotes, allowed me to choose my own SSID and WiFi password (I found this very impressive because it's the first time a provider has let me do so), and he was on his way.

He was barely here a half an hour; he was extremely efficient, he left nothing behind, and everything works beautifully. He even offered me longer ethernet cables for my PS4 and PC. As planned I have Digital Signature with Showtime, two media players, the gateway, and 30/3 internet. Speeds have hovered at around 28 Mbps down and 3.5-4 Mbps up on both Ookla and Speakeasy. Netflix streaming is crystal clear and my PS4's online features work flawlessly.

I'm very satisfied and it is well worth the price.

ORDER:

I previously had WOW when I lived in Columbus and now I'm moving back, after dealing with Frontier for 10 months I can't wait to have real internet again. There were definitely no complaints from me when the manager of the apartment complex I'm moving to told me I could choose from satellite, AT&T, or WOW Cable.

Setting service back up was easy. The CSR was extremely helpful, and didn't try to sell me anything I didn't need. She actually started to undersell me until I asked if they still offered their UltraTV service in the area. She told me they did and asked if I was interested. She set up my order with their Signature Cable w/UltraTV (I have to have BBC America and I was pleased to see the NFL Network back on their channel lineup), Showtime (more expensive than Dish, but I only plan to keep it long enough to finish out the season of Penny Dreadful), and 30 Mbps internet (this is going to be amazing after having 500 Kbps from Frontier). They had plenty of install times open on the day I wanted, I'm moving on a Sunday and I got an appointment early on Monday morning.

She took the time to explain every charge I would receive, which I was familiar with having been a former customer, but I think it's great they're that up front with their charges. I also think it's fantastic that she didn't immediately try to sell me more than the minimum she thought I would need until I asked about the advanced services. She was from Colorado, very friendly, and we chatted while she entered my order. It was great to be treated like I mattered, and I thought it was awesome when she thanked me for coming back as a customer. I'm genuinely happy to be coming back.

Once the install is complete I'll update this and finish my ratings. Heads up, I'm going to count my "Days from order to online" as "Days from move-in to online" because it wouldn't be fair if I put 22 days there. It isn't their fault I'm a control freak who likes to have everything squared away and ordered so early.

Comments:

Chad

@24.214.212.x

Wow Internet

Horrible service. I pay twice as much for half the service I used to have with Comcast. I am only forced to use it because they are the only ones available in my current location. Can not wait to move or WOW goes out of business which ever comes first.

RogueJawa

join:2013-08-15
Canal Winchester, OH

Re: Wow Internet

Sucks to be you I guess. I had them for several years when I lived in Columbus, OH and I can't wait to get them back. It will be interesting to see your Comcast reviews later because everyone I've ever spoken to that has it has hated them with a passion. They are among the most hated companies in America lol.
baess

join:2011-01-28

But you dumped cable

It seems funny to read your comment from May 2014 now that you have dumped cable due to WOW raising prices and dropping channels.

I have been with WOW since day one in my market but their business model at this point is ridiculous. Higher prices and less service isn't going to get them customers let alone keep the ones they have. Adding 110/5 without upgrading customers on any of their other packages was another slap in the face.

RogueJawa

join:2013-08-15
Canal Winchester, OH

Re: But you dumped cable

Yeah. I'm extremely disappointed. I consider that comment to be a reminder to never trust a company again. Prior to moving away for a year they were great. They were great when I came back, if a little expensive. Now in the span of 6 months they've gone to ridiculous.
JerryTimes

join:2002-01-09
Roseville, MI

Re: But you dumped cable

Review by Chonchko See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "First six years"
Bad "Tonight"
Overall "Amazing how one bad experience can ruin six years of positives, but it can. I would hesitate to come back."

Every time I look at negative reviews for ISPs, I always assume they're from people who have just one bad experience over the span of several years, and just decide to type up a negative review in their sudden anger. Well you know what? Today, that person is me.

I had WOW! for six years, ever since my wife and I moved into our own condo and we were able to make a choice (the previous six years I lived alone in apartments, I was forced to use Time Warner). We've never really had service issues, aside from the occasional glitch, but they were always corrected within the hour. Overall, I'd still have to say the service was pretty solid.

As can be expected, our prices went up annually. For the first few years, it wasn't really that noticeable. But once it started going over $100 (for cable and mid-range internet), I started getting concerned. A year ago, we talked them into upgrading us to Ultra TV for the same price we were paying ($89 plus tax). So then it went back up this year. We called last month (December, 2014) and were notified that they would once again be offering us $89 plus tax since we were with them for so long.

Then, in January, it was back up over $100. To make a very long, anger-inducing story short, we called to explain that we had just called the last month and were told that we would only be paying $89 for the next twelve months, a fact that was verified because it was in the "notes" section of our account. However, we were notified that prices went up as of January, and the customer service rep that offered that deal to us should have notified us that rates would once again be increasing. So essentially, the quote we were given not 30 days ago, was invalid. Were told to contact the cancellation department and, while the guy was much nicer, the result was still the same.

I'll admit that my wife and I absolutely lost our cool, and let loose a barrage of vulgarities once we were notified there was nothing they could do, but it was from a mix of alcohol, and complete shock that we were treated this way (not to sound rude, but this only applied to the rude foreigners we talked to first; the guy in the cancellation department was very nice). I mean, we have been late on payments MAYBE twice in six years, and have never had a problem talking them into cutting us some slack thanks to our ongoing loyalty.

So after six years of being with WOW!, we were given the shaft. Take it with a grain of salt if you want, but it's disgusting to think that we can cancel, go with another company for a month, then come back and be given a "new customer" deal that's far cheaper than what we were willing to pay even now, and they weren't willing to offer any compromises, aside from a one-time $50 credit. Whoop-de-doo.

Quite frankly, I'm appalled.

Comments:

Review by fatheredpuma See Profile

• Location: Union City,Branch,MI
Good "Cable is decent have a bit of freezes every couple of minutes on a few channels"
Bad "One of the worst internet providers"
Overall "Go for a different company at all costs (Unless satellite is only thing around you)"

Time to completely update this review and remove all that I had before (for the most part).

WOW has some decent internet. That is if you do not use internet from 7PM to 1 AM. At those times you can expect 1/3 what you pay for and the ability to only watch 360p videos and possibly 480p.

Their tech support seems to be... for them most part terrible. It took us all the way up until the neighbors next door installed WOW for them to find out (3rd time calling them) that some box was broken and even called while doing speed tests having many spots of -------- -------- -------x20 (Spaces = drops in the dl speed and upload and - resembles connected. Simpler version: The arrow falling and rising very fast as if it keeps loosing connected and drops the download speed).

If you just want them for the cheapest internet they provide and Cable they are decent... that is if you are ok with random freezes for about 4 seconds every minute or so.

member for 1 year, 33 visits, last login: 13 days ago

Comments:

gene r

@cox.net

wow

if wow is bad, you haven't had comcast, cox, or any other the dish networks. i find wow, quick, accurate, and good to deal with.