WOW Internet and Cable page on DSLReports

Review by PurpleXephos See Profile

• Location: Huntsville,Madison,AL
Good "Read Below. "
Bad "Just about everything. Customer Service is the worst. "
Overall "Avoid at all costs. You'd be better off without any internet, phone, tv."

For the longest time we've had Knology. Since about 2008? Did what was needed, simple as that.

Then came along WOW. (It sure lives up to the name. Because WOW was all I can say.

As of right now my bill is $51.00. They have slowly increased the bill little by little. $2 dollars here. $7 dollars there..

Today I got my bill and it stated that I was going to be charged a rental fee for their Modem (which I was not renting)

SO I called customer service ofcouse to try and figure out why I was getting charged AGAIN for something stupid.

After a painful 10 mins going through the automated system which I gave my phone number and account number to. I finally was answered by a rude representative which asked me for the exact same information which I had previously gave to the robot. This was going great. *Sarcasm* After I gave her my information a second time. She finally was able to access my account.. all just to tell me that she could not help me and that she would have to contact tech support. (How wonderful) So I waited for about 5 mins to talk to Tech Support and they claimed that I was infact renting their modem and that they couldn't explain the reason why I was just now being charged for it. Then HUNG UP on me before I could say anything.. WOW.

Okay so about 5 mins later I called back and went through the same stuff with the robot and then finally another rude representative. I gave her the same EXACT information as I did the last time but she could not verify the account. So I got put on hold for awhile. Then she came back and asked for my Social. Now normally I don't like giving the social but I was fed up so I gave it to them. All but to no avail. I wasn't in the system. Okay.. so after some talking I asked for her Supervisor which she rudely told me that I was going to be put on hold again. When her supervisor got on the phone. She immediately asked for my information again which I gladly gave her. All to be told the same thing. So the only other SSN I had was my husbands which passed away 2 years ago and I already changed that information over to me. The supervisor told me that I had to bring the death certificate to their office and get it changed again. At this point I was done. I thanked her for helping me then hung up.

Never once have I been cut off so many times my customer service people. I swear about every 5 sentences she would stop long enough for me to get a few words in before the started going on and on again. Unbelieveable.

Their internet service cuts off randomly (which trips my home security alarm) and I have to reset everything to get it back to work. I called about this before but they had no explanation other than the router was bad. I bought a new NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual band router this year so it can't be that.

Just all in all awful service in just about everyway. I could write more but I'm currently looking for other services like Comcast or AT&T U-Verse.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

P P

@67.149.243.x

Pixellization, bad sound, no signal

Sound: sudden noise ("grrrrrr ...") in some programs
Panellization: Very often the picture freezes or brakes up into digital blocks
Losing all TV signals lately: "No signal" - phone and internet works.

The quality of the service is poor and getting worse. I switched service before and I will not have any problems to do so again.

Either bring the quality of your service up to par or you will lose me as a customer

Regards
Petr

Review by an3951 See Profile

• Location: Brook Park,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Fast Install, Fast Speed 15k/1k"
Bad "Works great as long as nothing serious goes wrong"
Overall "WOW Has there issues but they really do try to fix the problems."

Back when I became a customer of WOW my bill was $54. In January of 2014 it had jumped to $141.

I have only had basic cable and internet so it isn't like I added premium services, but as of now I am done with paying high prices for crappy content. Not that it is all WOW's fault but over the years they kept adding channels (which they claimed enhanced it's service) but 90% of those channels were junk and virtually nobody watched them. Now it seems that much of the programming drivel is of low quality, full of scripted (so called) reality. I don't know how many channels are connected to basic cable but in the last year I only watch a total of six with three of them being the main network channels that come over the air for free. Because WOW introduced their $2 sports fee and doubled the network broadcast fee they have increased my bill another $9 a month, but they don't call it a price increase because it isn't part of their package deal. What a joke!

With January right around the corner and with another round of price hikes on their way I have dumped the video portion as a start. I plan on just getting the crappy content over-the-air for free.

I am sure that other cable providers are playing similar games so it isn't just WOW, it is the dirtiness of ALL of the cable providers that leads me to give up on all of them.

Say goodbye to another loyal customer that put up with your crap for 11 years paying you over $10,000 over the course of time. Tell me? Was it worth the $2 sports fee? Was it worth charging $7 for something that is given to the public for free? It would have been better that you buried those fees into your next price increase so people couldn't see how outrageous things have gotten.

member for 13.7 years, 2746 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

Kirk

You need to contact Kirk who is the VP of the Cleveland System.

GlenEllyn

@wideopenwest.com

Similar Issue occurred for me...

... last December. Flakey daily internet service for 4-5 weeks. I rent their modem. I have phone service. Techs can check cable signal strength. If the is o.k. then most WoW techs are useless. In my decade of being with WoW, I found only one tech who was technically astute and customer service originated who actually diagnosed and fixed a problem. My problem eventually went away. I conjecture WoW network upgrades, load balance, etc. were taking place but no support personnel would even acknowledge that to be a possibility.

Review by slyphoxj See Profile

• Location: Brook Park,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Channel changing fast on HD boxes, smooth install, decent customer/tech support"
Bad "Some TV channels out, internet outages"
Overall "Stick with Time Warner unless TWC won't renew promo pricing"

·ObiVoice
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
UPDATE (10/19/14): I went back to TWC last month. I get a lot more channels and more TV features for the same price WOW was charging, although I did have to sacrifice my internet upload speed (went from 15/2 on WOW to 15/1 on TWC... I can live with it as long as TWC turns out to be more reliable in the coming months).

UPDATE (6/18/14): Had a few outages this month. I've had more issues with my internet than I have with any previous provider since I first got high speed internet back in 2001. On the verge of going back to Time Warner.

UPDATE (8/3/13): Since my last update, my WOW bill has gone up to ~$111. I called in a couple weeks ago and, without any hassle, got a $15/month for 1 year discount (restored the previous $10 discount that expired in November plus an additional $5/month to offset the $5 increase in my bundle price) and a $20 one-time credit. But.... last Tuesday morning (7/30/13) the TV started acting up again, going in and out, then at around 11:30 AM, both the TV and internet went out for a few minutes.

UPDATE (11/19/12): The "watchdog timer" issue with my cable modem's firmware appears to have been resolved... over 17 days uptime. Yay! Internet seems to be solid... I consistently score above 15/2 on speed test and pingtest.net rates my connection an "A".

But.......... still getting pixelation, freezing and, in the last couple days, outright outages on a number of the HD channels above 210 (no problems with the broadcast HD channels 200-208). On the verge of going back to Time Warner.

UPDATE (11/5/12): Still getting pixelation and freezing on some of the HD channels. Animal Planet HD was terrible on Saturday... picture paused every 2-3 seconds for a few minutes and sometimes froze (someone else posted in the WOW forum here that they experienced the same issue). My mom got a "Not Authorized" on the box in her room a little while ago while watching one of the cable news channels... I had to reboot the box to get out of that one. A firmware upgrade pushed down to my Scientific Atlanta DPC2100 caused a "watchdog timer" issue that caused my modem to reboot itself every couple days (looks like it's finally been resolved... been up over 3 days now... yaaay). And WOW changed their billing/admin system last week (right during the freakin' storm!)... some people are getting 40-70 minute wait times when calling in! Seriously considering jumping ship back to Time Warner at this point.

UPDATE: Getting occasional brief pixelation and sometimes audio dropouts for a couple seconds on some of the HD channels 210 and above (above the broadcast networks)... maybe signal level issues (haven't bothered yet to check before calling WOW).

Also I'm not getting the full upload since I was bumped from 15/1 to 15/2 (can't get any better than 1.8 Mbps upload). WOW_Dan on the WOW forum here on DSLR is aware of the issue and was able to reproduce it, so hopefully there will be a solution soon. But I'm not complaining... it was a free bump .

But otherwise... everything's OK.

If WOW were to bring the 8/1 back and charge $10/month less than the 15/2, I'd consider going back to the 8/1 and maybe also change out the HD box on my basement HDTV for a SD box and knock another $7/month off the bill if WOW would let me do that.

--- Original review ---

After reviewing our account, Time Warner offered a deal back in March 2009 for ~$83/month (raised to ~$88/month last summer) for digital basic TV with Showtime + 1 HD DVR box w/HD service + the SD digital box already installed + Road Runner Standard (8000(or was it 7000?)/512, upgraded to 10000/1000 a couple months ago) + cable modem. We took it. It was a nice upgrade from just 1 SD box for ~$68/month + AT&T 6000/768 DSL (really about 5000/650) for ~$35/month.

I called Time Warner about a month or two ago and they told me that this promo was set to expire at the end of August of this year (2011) and that the bill would be going up. If I remember right, one offer was for ~$105/month + taxes. We decided to wait. My mom then called them again about 2-3 weeks ago and the best they could offer for the services we had was ~$145/month... ouch!

So.... we decided to give WOW a call and see what they could offer. Their offer was in the neighborhood of $100/month. My mom told 'em to come out and hook us up. We got the Digital Value + 1 HD DVR box + 1 HD box + Xpress 8/1 internet + QAM SD box for ~$98/month guaranteed until 1/1/2013. Only one week till the installation... cool! The salesperson my mom spoke with mailed a sheet with the channel lineup with the Digital Value channels highlighted and services and pricing info written on it (he did this before my mom actually ordered). After my mom actually ordered service, the sales rep. mailed a copy of the work order with the pertinent info (services ordered, prices, etc.)... got this a couple days later.

Installation was yesterday (9/1/2011). The WOW installer (a contractor) showed up in the middle of the 1-3pm install window, hooked everything up and got everything working OK and did a nice, clean job with the wiring and new drop installation outside... even looks nicer than what Time Warner did when they hooked us up when we moved into this house back in 9/2009.

I'm using my old Motorola SB4200 modem that I used with Adelphia before I switched to AT&T DSL back in early 2006. WOW only supports DOCSIS 1.0 for this modem... I was only getting about 2500-3700 down with the Xpress 8/1, so I decided to save $10/month and downgrade to Xcite 2/1. I called about 11-11:30 last night... got right through to a friendly rep who immediately pushed the new speeds down to my modem. She told me the total bill with taxes, etc. would be ~$88/month... almost exactly what the TW bill was. I might get a newer modem and go back to the Xpress 8/1 again... haven't made up my mind yet.

What I like so far:

- The HD-DVR boxs so far are problem free... channel changing is MUCH faster than it was on the TW boxes. The TW Scientific Atlanta silver HD DVR box (SA8300?) was a piece of crap... took forever to change channels and had other issues that forced me to reboot it too often. The first TW HD-DVR box we had had a dead HDMI port.

- The picture quality of the 20 or so remaining analog (NTSC) channels is superb, better than the QAM basic channels.

- The channel lineup is easier to navigate... 3 digit channel numbers for the HD channels versus 4 digit numbers for the HD channels on TW

What I don't like so far:

- HD picture quality seems like it isn't as good as TW's

- I tried to call the WOW CS number before the install date to give them the MAC address of my modem. I was prompted to enter my phone number, then asked to confirm or reschedule the appointment, then it hung up on me!

Bottom line: For about the same price (within a buck), I'm getting much lower speeds (2/1 versus 10/1) then I did with TW and fewer channels (but not missing any I really care about), but WOW's HD boxes work much better, even if they have fewer features than TW's HD boxes.

I'll update this review if anything changes.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I hooked up my Motorola SB4200 modem the night before the switchover from TW -> WOW. It synced up and I saw "DOCSIS 1.1 registration complete" in the modem's log. TW supports DOCSIS 1.1 for this old modem, why can't WOW?

member for 12.4 years, 4158 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by clwguy See Profile

• Location: Clearwater Beach,Pinellas,FL
Good "better then before"
Bad "that's not saying much and it's still not good"

WOW bought out knology which I'd rate a solid 0. WOW get's a 1 for great lip service and added politeness over knology.

Nothing but continual problems with WOW billing. Month after month after month. Last month I got a notice telling me that my account was audited and I was being under billed and as a result they were going to start billing me at the higher rater. THIS IS IN ADDITION to the SEVERAL NEW FEES they added over the past two months which increased my bill by about $10.

Numerous calls to customer service (waste of time) and emails to the management team have resulted in nothing but lips service and promises to fix the problem. But that is about as far as it goes.

Today I am switching to Bright House. I know they have their problems too but it's a matter of who is least worst.

Comments:

raypsi1

join:2001-04-09
Redford, MI
·WOW Internet and..

wow in the plain of wayne

In my neck of the woods it takes moxie to smurf WOW in their billing.
Luckily they hate losing costumers, here, to comcast. Alas this takes hours on the phone but is doable.
And another way, is to find out what prices your neighbors are getting. I seen a neighbor have the same services for $20 less on their WOW bill.
But you has to spend time on the phone, is it worth it, depends, I guess.

Review by Porkroller See Profile

• Location: Grosse Ile,Wayne,MI
Good "Reliable service, no caps"
Bad "Would be nice to get a bump up in speed"
Overall "Compared to the other choices in my area (Comcast and AT&T), WOW is the best option in my opinion"

We've had WOW for years. Actually, since Americast was bought by WOW. Over the years we've had TV and internet service, and even triple play for a while. The service has been consistently reliable. There have been a few outages here and there, but in the scheme of things it hasn't been a big deal.

Last year we decided to "cut the cord" and dropped TV and phone service. The speed (15/2) is not great but OK. The cost ($30/month) is reasonable. The reliability is good. There are no caps. I don't have much to complain about - WOW makes a pretty good "dumb pipe".

Some things to avoid:

- Don't use WOW's DNS. They insert ads for non-existant domains. Roll your own DNS locally or use Google's DNS or anything else.

- Don't use WOW's email. This almost goes without saying for any ISP, but I'll say it anyway because it is so important. Do not get locked in to an ISP by using their email service.

- Don't rent a modem. Again, pretty much applicable to any ISP. There isn't anything wrong with WOW's modems, but they are a bad deal. $5/month to rent a modem that costs $10 to buy is not worthwhile. Note that you have to rent a modem if you have voice service with WOW (which is a good reason to not have voice service through them).

Bottom line:

I would choose and continue to choose WOW over the ISP competition in this area (Comcast and AT&T) because of the superior value and lack of data transfer caps (part of the value).

Comments:

Review by mpedigo1 See Profile

• Location: Elgin,Kane,IL
Good "The company is growing, an increase from 1 to 5 GB email space finally!"
Bad "The company is growing, a new email platform that seems outlook unfriendly"
Overall "What once made WOW shine (customer service) has gone the way of Comcast"

I currently only have WOW's 15/2 Mbs service.

In the last 2 months there have been more outages then in years before.....

WOW recently changed their mail backend upgrading to 5GB of storage which is nice but has broken the ability to use IMAP clients like Outlook as my Outlook client was corrupted the first time I attached. I created a new profile and it is working but hangs frequently. My calls to support have been met with "We don't support Outlook and we can't help you." They will not entertain that there is an issue on their end. I asked for a manager and pretty much received the same response "we don't care if you leave us."

I' sent an email to the CEO and CTO and am awaiting their response.

I guess WOW has managed to become just like every other large cable company which is sad considering how top notch WOW was 10 years ago. Their prices are pretty good, but there are certainly other choices out there.

I'll just say WOW has much room for improvement.

Comments:

rosew28

@23.28.144.x

Extreme slow internet

i was told slow internet (.76Mbps - 1.76) was Cleveland problem. Slowness starts in early evening every day. Even after we upgraded twice. It's been months. Our bill went from $97 to $130 but still no change. Each time I called to Complain, I was told to restart the router. Than speed gets back up. An hour or 2 later, same slide from 15 to 8 to 1.5 to .76
Can anyone help?

wowcust

@65.44.185.x

Same boat

I too have been experiencing random outages with WOW. I too am in Elgin. Switched back to them from Comcast as I had WOW 5 year ago without any issue. When the service is working it is great, but the frequent outages are making quite painful. How long are your outages? Mine range from 5-30 min. Call support and they say there is no issues.

NMich

@67.149.117.x

Not happy at all and this review is spot on!

Have been a W.O.W customer for over 10 years and just in the past 2 the price has gone up (no value now) and the internet speed has gotten slower and more unstable. I have what equates to a brand new modem/wifi router from W.O.W. and I know for a fact it is just W.O.W. taking on too many customers and not being able to keep up with the demand. Now what will happen is the internet just cuts out sometime throughout the day (hopefully not when I am logged onto my at home job). Then on top of that the speeds have gone from being 30/3 to 800kbps-1.5mbps/1.4 up. Really wow? I have no reason, none whatsoever to stay with them. Guess Ill be going to Comcast. Sorry W.O.W. I tried to show you some loyalty. I stuck with you for over a year with these games your playing, but I gotta do whats right for me now.

Review by Ahddib See Profile

• Location: Decatur,Morgan,AL
Good "Internet was fairly reliable until the contract expired. Then service plummeted."
Bad "The customer service is terrible. "
Overall "Avoid at all costs in the Huntsville AL area. They bought out Knology and broke things."

It is impossible to describe the irony when a customer service representative states, "Now we're not calling you a liar, but..."

Yes, you did call me a liar, WOW. Twice.

An agent in the retention department stated that he reduced my bill to a $25 dollar per month plan to keep me from going to another company. This is pretty standard. However, the next bill I received was for $70 buckaroos. I immediately called Charter and ordered a service switch for a much better deal. The day I got Charter installed, tested, and working I called them up and asked them to cancel the service effective that day.

Apparently the CSR I spoke to didn't cancel the account AND they didn't even notate that I called. After getting the next bill for stupid lots of money I called and they said "Now we're not calling you a liar, but..." They backdated to the cost that the retention agent notated, which was $29.99. 4.99 more than I was told by that agent. Then they refused to backdate the cancellation of service to the date I no longer used them and called for cancellation. Anyone with a brain can check the logs to see if any data was transferred to or from the modem I had registered with them. They could then verify the service was indeed disconnected that day and presume that the customer is speaking truthfully.

So basically I was treated as a liar. I am monetarily punished for their incompetence. I'm not paying them the additional $4.99x2 and the additional time on the bill since the day I cancelled service. Credit be darned.

Also, usually hold times are stupid long even during off peak times. 45 minutes is unacceptable. Hire some people and treat them better than you did me.

Perhaps WOW provides good service elsewhere, but here in North AL where they just bought out the failing company Knology they are total garbage. I advise everyone to steer clear.

I believe the company works in cells or divisions based on location, at least that's the feeling I get from the website's structure. Hence I include the above disclaimer.

Comments:

Elgin Sad

@69.47.145.x

Agreed - Customer service combative....

I have had to deal with them a few times this year - most recently after 15 years they couldn't find my account and would not accept the same credit card I have been using for years. The CSR was combative, accusatory, and unpleasant. This has been the feeling I have gotten from them on most of my recent calls to them. Like biting aluminum foil with a metal filling.

Review by ryan3531 See Profile

• Location: Mount Prospect,Cook,IL
Good "Reliable service, good tech support"
Bad "Channel selection not as expansive as the competition, cable boxes aren't the greatest"
Overall "Good value in our neighborhood"

My household subscribes to the Digital Signature TV with HD and 30/3 Internet service package, and we've had generally good service for a couple years now. The installation went smoothly, as I recall, and we have only had to call for support a couple of times since.

We were disappointed with the sluggish, clunky interface on the provided Scientific Atlanta cable boxes (which were what prompted the support calls we've had to make) and the small selection of on-demand programming, but decided that the cost savings and generally superior customer service compared to Comcast made it worth the tradeoff. We ended up ditching the provided cable boxes in favor of a SiliconDust CableCard tuner with Windows Media Center HTPCs. It took a few tries to get the CableCard activated properly, but it's been solid ever since.

The Internet service has been very reliable and we get the advertised speeds. We own our own modem, which gets a clean, consistent signal. My only real complaint about the Internet service is that WOW doesn't seem to be doing much about IPv6 deployment at this time.

Comments:

WOW sucks

@65.60.201.x

WOW SUCKS

television constantly pixelates and shuts down from 2:30 pm on until the wee hours of the morning. Techs say to expect that, nothing they can do. Telephone and internet drop out in the evening so fast you can't get even count how many times they go out.

WOW should not be allowed to do business!!!!!!!!!

Review by kevsteele See Profile

• Location: North Royalton,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Great price, "UltraTV" is impressive, Internet is impressively fast (when it works)"
Bad "Tons of lost packets and continuously stalled internet service point to horrific backend problems."
Overall "A very good value as long as reliable internet service isn't a priority. Unfortunately for me, it is."

WOW's "all in one" service uses one Arris home gateway to provide Internet, Phone, and TV/DVR service to a house. The unit even allows external eSATA hard drives, so you can easily expand your DVR storage, and overall their "Ultimate TV" service is quite impressive.

The installation and transition from Time Warner cable was amazingly smooth, and everything worked perfectly...at first. Since the installation, however, Internet service has degraded to the point of being nearly unusable. While the rated speeds are there, it's like someone's constantly flicking a switch on the service - it's there, it's gone, then it's back again...over and over. Ping times vary wildly, long periods with >75% packet loss are common, and forget about using it for online gaming. All of this points to some severe problems on their backend, in my view.

The techs that have come out to my house have assured me that they're working on the backend, and I hope they can fix things soon...because I won't be around long if this level of Internet service continues. A major blemish on an otherwise spotless cable service.

Comments:

Review by Nobeepin See Profile

• Location: Glendale Heights,Du Page,IL
Good "it's cable "
Bad "Advertise pricing does not equate in the billing"
Overall "Phone/Internet 30/3"

·AT&T DSL Service
·DIRECTV
So far customers service is awesome,
when you call in there is a prompt about wait times,
Still confused about the billing
The company is a non-contract unlimited company (TOS)

Comments:
mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

Extra pricing

WOW has two extra items that you have to pay when it comes to phone service. $7 for the advanced modem (can't use your own) and $4 network line fee charge (total bs if you ask me). Thus raising your true base price for internet/phone by $11!