WOW Internet and Cable page on DSLReports

Review by computerman2 See Profile

• Location: Rockwood,Wayne,MI
Good "Excellent Service"
Bad "None that I noticed"
Overall "Great Service"

·AT&T Midwest
I'm Very Happy with my WOW(Wideopenwest) Internet Service and Cable Television, been using it over a year now, and just upgraded recently to Advanced package--which is even better than original package I was on(original package was 500kbps download and 300 upload)
When WOW does maintenance, it's never too long of an outage..and they very rarely do much maintenance in my side of town.
All in All this is the best ever Internet and Cable Company I've ever used--Comcast I had prior to Wideopenwest, and couldn't online game at all with it, or do much of anything...

Wideopenwest(WOW) Just keeping improving, and you'll always have a happy customer here

Due to Moving in January 2005--Had to Cancel WideOpenWest Service, since was not available in Gibraltar Michigan, So Hopefully the service is still working as well as when i left it, and if does ever come available in Gibraltar Michigan, may check it out

January 11th 2014, Resigned up with WOW Cable and Internet, and Phone, Service been very reliable not many outages except one. Original install was on time, and went perfectly, minus a few problems, that a Tech just solved yesterday 4/12/2013. Gaming Online excellent, Download speed and upload speed excellent, I do much more online than in 2004/2005 when I last had WOW internet. Nowadays I use SKype voice over ip more, online game, stream music/videos, etc.

Arris Gateway works great, Ultra TV service is a very nice feature

member for 12 years, 1965 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by Clocker1000 See Profile

• Location: Sterling Heights,Macomb,MI
Good "Not much- UltraTV is OK"
Bad "Not competitive on price/services ratio"
Overall "Great value."

Had to leave WOW because the deal from Comcast was just too good. With WOW I had UltraTV, 15/2 Internet and Essential Phone. With my promotion it was $116 but was about to go up to about $140 so I decided to check out what Comcast has again.

With Comcast I am getting 105/20 Internet, a whole lot more channels, a TON more On Demand, the new X1 Platform and better phone service that does not charge me long distance fees to call New York & Chicage....all for about $125 per month the first year and about $145 per month the 2nd year. Switching was a No Brainer!

I might come back to WOW if they become competitive with their price/services ratio.

member for 12.9 years, 1048 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by fatheredpuma See Profile

• Location: Union City,Branch,MI
Good "Cable is... ok? I guess?"
Bad "WORST INTERNET EVER| REALLY LONG TIME TO GET BACK UP"
Overall "I'd recomend if you get it just go for there slowest package so you save more... since you will get the same speed"

Wow has some of the worst internet I have ever had.
We pay for 20 Mbps down 2 Mbps up.
We got about 1-ever since had at about 9 PM always went to 5 Mbps.

We called them they said "Its because many people get on"
Now for the past month the max speeds we get are 0.51-2 Mbps (and maybe 5 if lucky for about 10-20 seconds).

Haven't called them yet but I'd LOVE to hear what they say now!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv8qzIPQxe0

It says it all... just... it makes you WOW'd that they are still living with this...

We got the 20/2 package (that they dont advertise on there website around here O.o)
Wasn't there for the install proc.

A semi new modem came with it.

Comments:

gene r

@cox.net

wow

if wow is bad, you haven't had comcast, cox, or any other the dish networks. i find wow, quick, accurate, and good to deal with.

Review by CrippleFight See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Speed"
Overall "Great Speed at a Great Price"

·AT&T Southeast
works great

member for 12.7 years, 2343 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by cc850 See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "Cablecard in HDHomeRun actually works with NPVR for HD"
Bad "It wasn't easy!"
Overall "Only game in town without "copy once" on cablecard basic hd"

I am running my own DVR system (NPVR) and wanted some HD channels. Ordered "digital basic" plus HD, along with 15/2 internet. Had Time Warner for non-cablecard and intenet - prices crept up and the only way to go cablecard with them is with WMC, which is difficult to extend to multiple TVs

Happy so far - using my own older modem which is OK - at night the speeds test a bit low. TV is good - you need a tech that knows cablecard or work with "WOW_dan" on the forums here to get it all going. Pricing good for 24 months, too. Only had this a week, so time will tell.

Comments:
brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ

Columbus needs better competiton

I honestly think all cable options suck in Columbus, after getting out and seeing a properly built network from Cox (as much as i hate their CS) i actually feel bad for people in Columbus stuck with WOW and TWC.

Insight had a great system in digital areas, although i'd hate to see what TWC has done to them since the buyout - i honestly think they're the only cable provider who ever over-delivered on what they promised there, got the bill right, and was quick to fix things

Review by Bill_MI See Profile

• Location: Royal Oak,Oakland,MI
Good "People, Service"
Bad "Behind in technology a bit"
Overall "Fine for me"

After Comcast wouldn't fix their aging, glitching, infrastructure, I switched to WOW.

Install went fine but you might get a vintage 6-year-old modem to rent. I got a Scientific Atlanta DPX100. It worked but I'm probably not your typical customer - I like to log data from the modem. Yeah, it's the engineer in me.

The DPX100 modem didn't like my log taking. While this may not affect YOU, it interested Wow_Dan on the WOW forum and he suggested a modem change if I wanted. He arranged the service calls around my schedule and I eventually got a newer DPC2100 which works for logging just fine. Dan didn't have to do that but I'm glad he did.

Since I'm old school, I really like the atmosphere of WOW. It's not quite mom-n-pop but a lot closer than Comcast. At the time of this writing, WOW still has newsgroups (Giganews) and, I think, real ftp access to your WOW personal website.

WOW says they have no caps, which is ALL about PremiumCable-vs-InternetStreaming (Comcast-vs-NetFlix) anyway, which is rare these days.

WOW_Dan posted that WOW had a change of mind and will NOT encrypt:
»DTA's and encryption - A message from WOW!
I find this encouraging if I want quick basic channels with a QAM tuner. This prompted my switching, too.

Sure, there's no PowerBoost, DNSSEC/IPV6 happening... but I think I'll like this 8/1 service just fine.

But don't ask me about TV... except the little I use it I haven't seen the glitching like on Comcast but the family seems happy.

September 15, 2012 Update
We're now on the big package (TV, Internet and phone) since May. We had a 5-day power outage in July and I did miss a working phone (battery in modem lasted only a few hours). But not as bad as I thought.

An irritating note. I have no need for DOCSIS 3 and on my DOCSIS 2 service... WOW... does WOW change internet frequencies/channels a lot! 20+ times a day in what must be some kind of load balancing. I have some data: »WebStar vs. Arris

Well... every channel change is a 4-5 second loss of internet. Anything streaming gets a whack during this time. I'm a regular viewer of TWiT (»live.twit.com) and it buffers at every channel change. Arrrgh! It's not that big a deal, just frustrating when Comcast would change channels once a year instead of twice an hour. It should NOT happen.

On a positive note, I was impressed with the letter about an outage we had. This is more like the mom-n-pop atmosphere: »The Letter About The Outage

member for 13.2 years, 7187 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

quicks10

@myvzw.com

internet connection and bandwidth

The internet literally sucks in my book timewarner was the absolute best not for the money but people always say you get what you pay for so I will not have a problem going back to time wafner.
fatheredpuma

join:2014-02-18
Union City, MI
·WOW Internet and..

Re: internet connection and bandwidth

Agreed without a doubt quicks. Not ganna bother calling them since its prolly there vintage 10 year old servers and everything. Actually got a "new" modem that looks like hey it might be new... to bad the thing will never be used to a decent capacity since we cant get over 200 Kb/s (Pay for 20 MBps/2.5 Mbps (Might have mixed them up?) and never got NEAR that when it was "ok")

Review by SC See Profile

• Location: Dearborn,Wayne,MI
Good "No need to hassle on price or contracts"
Bad "Download speeds consistently under-perform during peak usage days/hours"
Overall "Go elsewhere if you can afford a better managed data network"

Update--I ended up switching to AT&T U-Verse. The switching experience itself was painful, but worth it. Installing AT&T 45/6 "Power" the first month then just downgraded to Max Plus. This ensured professional installation and a quality RG

------
I've been a customer for over a year, streaming Amazon movies, etc (no cable). The price is fair, but if you're a new customer, realize that they can't do much for you when you need them.

I currently have the 15/1 Package and am noticing slowing of download speeds over the past few weeks--coinciding with the holidays when more neighbors are home. A new cable modem and upgrading to 30/3 didn't help. The only thing their customer service can do (they know this themselves) is offer to send a tech out--wasting their own resources because the line signal is clean.

The issue is that their network management can't handle the bandwidth promises. Switching back to Comcast next week is the plan.

Comments:

Brine

@comcast.net

WOW to Comcast ?

i'm Ditching Comcast for WOW, because supposedly WOW has no monthly bandwidth cap.
Comcast has a 300GB per month ( 10GB per day ) usage policy, with streaming you will
eat that up so fast. also on principle i refuse to do business with a company that has limitations
on something that should be 'unlimited' the fact that they hide the bandwidth cap from new
consumers is sneaky too, you really have to dig to find any information on it...
and its even more difficult to find out where you're at for the month...

midmichigan

@wideopenwest.com

Re: WOW to Comcast ?

As a wow customer DON'T DO IT.Been having problems with their service now for over a year. Wow mantaince has checked my house and at the pole outside and all good. Their problems all started back in 2010 have only gotten worse over the years due to out dated eqiutment. PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. WOW IS AN EXPERIENCE ALL RIGHT A VERY BAD ONE.

pissed off

@wideopenwest.com

Re: WOW to Comcast ?

I'm in Illinois and having problems with WOW for over a year with no resolution in site! Numerous reps in and out, rewired house, had a truck sitting in my driveway for hours watching for problems. Still have the same thing! was told to keep a diary so they could backtrack - I ran out of space! We have had WOW since it came to Schaumburg Ill. No problems till digital change over. am sitting here now watching my dvr box turn itself on and off, reboot, had signal sent 5 times, and nothing on the screen! it is now 55 minutes into "on hold" for someone to talk to. caller ID on tv left days ago and can't get it back. I don't know what happened to WOW but it has become the next COMCAST which I tried and dumped! and yes, they changed the programs and offered nothing in exchange yet the price stayed the same! now have to pay for Starz and Encore additionally. I think Ms. Abdoula, CEO, should spend some time going thru complaints instead of doing her pathetic tv adds!

satisfied

@sbcglobal.net

Re: WOW to AT&T U verse ?

We had wow for 13 yrs swicthed to att uverse, dropped wow when told starz and encore would be gone, felt that this was a start of more downgrades and price would stay the same. with att we get 3 dvr for same price that wow chatged us 2 digital receviers I like that we can eliminate all cables running through the house.

Review by HonzaIL See Profile

• Location: Naperville,Dupage,IL
Good "No caps, generally works just fine, rare outages where I live. Good field techs. "
Bad "Phone support has little clue about what they are talking about. Not much needed, so OK. "
Overall "I have Internet only... My choice here: ATT, Comcast, WOW - WOW wins hands down."

Went from ATT to WOW when ATT instituted caps. WOW installation went fine - quick and easy, guy actually knew what he is doing. Recall one or two outages in ~5 years we have WOW. I had not problems getting ONLY Internet, ATT did not want to give me Internet only package (at that time)...

Their modems seem to work reasonably well (this is my second, upgraded the old one to get higher speed), did not have any performance issues. Rarely need reboot.

Similar cost as ATT but better speed and mainly reliability for me.

Have only Internet (no phone or cable TV). Pay for 30/3 Mbps and even at peak time get ~30Mbps/3Mbps. Have my main phone through independent VOIP service, run constantly Skype, use streaming TV - and digital antenna TV broadcast. Most cost efficient setup I could devise.

For me, NO caps were main requirement (3 heavy net users under one roof), reliability, and reasonable performance at all times... Cannot complain, get all I pay for from them. Best value for me I can find here.

Comments:

Review by TitoXx See Profile

• Location: Sterling Heights,Macomb,MI
Good "Reliable Connection and Speeds for now and no caps"
Bad "---"
Overall "more expensive then some others in town but no caps on the HSI "

Installed 11/2012 after a transfer fiasco with Comcast, So far so good.

02/2014: Still going good

member for 11 years, 1648 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Gamecock1977

@knology.net

TitoXx
join:2003-03-19
Sterling Heights, MI

rep

I heard a lot of complaints in the knology area, but it works well in my area.

Review by garfield See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Muscogee,GA
Good "consistent speeds, reliable service, no caps, use my own modem"
Overall "overall I am happy"

Been with WoW for 3 years now (before was Knology). They honored the price break Knology had given me (for retention) for a year I think it was. There have been a few hiccups (fallen limbs in my area) and once a bad drop in speeds. WoW-*** (from the forum) helped resolve the problem. Did have to have a tech come out twice, through no fault of WoWs. Seems like every time the other cable company hooked up my neighbors (shared house and apartment) they either disconnect me altogether or swap me to their service. Each time the tech came out after I got off work (thanks for that!) at 5:30 and quickly fixed it, taking care to not disrupt the other hookup.

I give them an 8 of 10 thumbs up. If we ever get a higher--affordable--speed increase (50 down & 10 up) then I would go to 10 thumbs!

member for 3.1 years, 1212 visits, last login: a few hours ago