WOW Internet and Cable page on DSLReports

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "installer, price"
Bad "ultra tv"
Overall "fair"

We switched from At&t uverse due to price hikes. The initial price quote Wow gave was similiar to the old promo price I had been paying for uverse. We signed up for ultra tv and 15/1 internet. Installer (subcontractor) called ahead, was thorough and ran new wire to the bedroom (uverse was wireless). The ultra tv guide is lousy and sometimes barely works. The ultra tv box is bulky and not very quiet. I put in my own router for wifi because the ultra tv wifi signal only goes about 20 feet. We have a similiar speed and similiar channel lineup to uverse.

update: I wanted to add Starz, wow rep wanted $14 a month. I told rep uverse does not charge for this on u300. I was able to get rep to lower our bill so it only went up approx $2 with Starz (claimed they could not discount Starz).

Comments:

Review by sllywhtboy See Profile

• Location: Madison Heights,Oakland,MI
Good "So far the best"
Bad "HD offerings meh"
Overall "Great for what I use it for"

·Speakeasy
2006:15mbit down, 2mbit up and basic analog cable is what i pay for. 3 IPs are nice. I've had odd problems they were able to diagnose (grounds) but it took the supervisor.

cable TV offerings are decent but not much in the HD line (not that I use it)

good value, overall happy with them. i've had them in this market for about 5 years now across 2 residences.

2014: upgraded to 30mbps plan, basic qam tv plan. changed to comcast 8/2014 because of more competitive plans/packages.

Comments:

Review by wtkwest See Profile

• Location: Knoxville,Knox,TN
Good "Download speeds pretty good"
Bad "Connection drops frequently"
Overall "When reliable, better than Comcast. However, I'm fed up."

When knology became flaky, after 2 weeks or so, everything would become faster/better - so I stayed. Now that WOW has them, the network has simply been flaky all the time. It is impossible to Skype for more than 6-10 minutes without the carrier dropping - and having to wait 2-3 minutes for the cable modem to get a carrier and reconnect. Streaming movies ave similar problem - albeit seemingly less frequently. Often have to reboot the modem. Last year, Phone service went out - only to discover that they swapped to VoIP, and forgot to mention it. Service guy was polite, but clearly agitated with back office. It is hard to point to when problems started - but dropped connections while working remotely (yet again) may have been the last straw. {my parents live somewhat nearby and have xfinity - and I definitely don't want Comcast's poor offering. Oh bother. }

Comments:

Hazen 29

@166.137.101.x

Internet

Very laggy for video games and get droped a lot

Review by Rambo76098 See Profile

• Location: Blacklick,Franklin,OH
Good "Great Customer Service, Connection finally working well"
Bad "Botched Install, Poor Connection due to Crappy WOW Modem"
Overall "Not the cheapest, but great service"

To start this off, want to note this is overall a positive review. Wouldn't have said that at first, but a few months in things are finally where they should be.

Anyway, when AT&T announced caps, I started shopping around. Put my addy into WOWs website to see if service was available. Got a call from a sales rep Jesse and I placed an order for 15/1 internet only. Install was available quickly. Day of, installer never showed. Called Jesse - he forgot to put in the order. No problem, stuff happens.

Next appointment, installer shows up REALLY early, I have to leave work early to get home. Installer refuses to move the coax line from going across the deck (previous owner) to either under the deck or thru the existing hole being used by UVerse (equipment for both are in my condo's yard, inches from the building). Sign off of on the install (what else can I do?) and call WOW right away, they send an employee out the next day instead of a contractor. He moves the line, takes the WOW box off the back (not sure why they installed it for the previous owner, the line was grounded inside the unit, even said so in the box). Things are finally working at this point. Last issue was that Jesse made it sound like a router was included in the $5/mo equipment fee. They gave me a $50 bill credit for the issues and to buy a router.

Right off the bat I had connection issues. Would go down quite often, and pings/speeds would fluctuate quite badly. Turned out to be the crappy modem they gave me (Scientific Atlanta Webstar DPX100). If you ever get WOW installed, DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO INSTALL THIS MODEM! Ask instead for the Scientific Atlanta DPC2100R2. I had several months of connection problems and almost canceled and went to Insight over it.

Now that things are going smoothly, I am very satisfied with WOW. Speeds delivered are consistent, and are exactly as advertised (15/1). Wish the install process would have gone better, and WOW hadn't given me a crappy modem that was stamped as manufactured in 2002.

Update 7/15/14. Great reliability and speeds are consistent, even at peak times. No complaints. Was upgraded for free to 2mb upload instead of 1. Only one bill increase, I think 2 bucks a month.

Comments:

Worst cable

@96.27.65.x

Wow is worst

Wow cable is the absolute worst

karen

@173.87.50.x

Re: Wow is worst

Absolutely ! I wish there was a different cable service in my area ! Programing breaks up & cuts out constantly. Also can't get GSN any more.

Re: Wow is worst

They are A HELL of a lot better than TWC, AT&T, and Comcast. I've had all of them before, and hope to never use them again.

jasonwolf

@99.46.4.x

wow

You could not find worse company than wow way. They put all kind of ridiculous charges on your monthly bill. installation fee, modem fee, etc. even you did install by yourself and have your own modem. They put more charges than the contract you signed on. You would get hung up when you tried to talk about this. So stay away from this business.

Re: wow

There's no such charges on my bill. It has one line: Internet Services: $52 a month.

No modem, no equipment, etc. Sorry sir, but you are mistaken or misinformed.

davidbrandt

@64.53.201.x

Crapy billing

Wow has a habit of never sending a bill with the same charges, they're over priced and you don't get what you pay for. I've called them tree times asking why I don't have the velocity channel, they said that I should be receiving it because it's included in my program package, they said they would add it and the other channels I'm not getting, never happened yet, they're liars. I'm in the process of looking for a different carrier, one that's not full of crap, doesn't overcharge and knows how to run a coax cable without leaving it on the ground, I also called about this and was told they would take care of, it still hasn't been done to this day.

Re: Crapy billing

Probably not the best review to complain about TV service on... since I don't have cable TV. Giant waste of money.

Cher Freds

@71.203.69.x
They don't exist. Comcast sucks. Been with them for 20+ yrs. and my bill is never the same. I constantly have to fight to get my service discount I earned after 20 yrs. and then they up my regular bundle rate. They have overseas people who can't speak english so they make the situation worse. I can't seem to find an alternative. Best of luck to you.

Review by zeke56 See Profile

• Location: Naperville,Du Page,IL
Good "Consistent, decent price"
Bad "none"
Overall "So far I am very happy with this service"

Update 7/14/2014

I've now had the service for about three months and I have not changed my opinion. It has been consistent and reliable for the entire time I've had the service.

end of Update 7/14/2014

I've had the service for a little over a month, and so far it as been 100% reliable and consistent. I'm using my own Motorola surfboard modem. I haven't had need of tech support, but the person I talked to before I signed up at least seemed to have a clue about things like ping times, in contrast to the converted goat herders that apparently staff AT&T tech support.

I have QOS set up on my router to allow 80% of the nominal maximum speed both upstream and downstream. I've tested speeds several times a week during evening hours using speedtest.net, and the results have been consistently quite close to the maximum governed by my QOS settings. I've tested ping times and jitter quite a few times using pingtest.net, and the jitter is consistently ~15ms or less no matter which server I connect to (the average ping times increase w/ distance, with the closest giving me typically ~30ms, altho the ping times using speedtest.net are typically less). One reason I switched from dsl, in addition to the speed increase, was that my voip was suffering from dropouts and poor call quality w/ dsl. With WOW I haven't noticed any dropouts and the sound quality on calls seems better (altho this aspect is really hard to judge objectively in my opinion).

The promotional price of $50/mo for WOW is the same as the dsl service I had previously, with several times the speed. I believe they said after the 12 month promotional period, the price will rise to the $60s, which still seems reasonable to me.

Comments:

mtaylor9287

@69.73.37.x

service

Both my husband and I have contacted WOW at their home office, contacting their customer service rep. CEO and other to no avail over the last year and a half. We were fortunate to have Knowlogy service in Montgomery, AL, but since moving to Madison, AL. and Knowlogy being purchased by WOW the service has completely disintegrated. I would not recommend them to my worse enemy, even if they were offering a $1,000 bonus for new sign ups. We live in a captured gated community which has WOW for gate control, internet, phone, and cable, therefore we have little recourse but to move in orde to improve our service. Hardly a week passes where we do no not have problems with the gate. For the last year, regularly every two or three weeks I loose internet, cable or phone service. The excuse is that they are working on the cables, doing upgrades. I would think that 12 months is long enough to replace cables from here to Texas. Sad to say this is not a one person or place problem. I have spoken to a number of my neighbors, and they have experienced the same problems. If you are considering WOW service or are forced into their service. "GOOD LUCK"

RogueJawa

join:2013-08-15
Canal Winchester, OH
·WOW Internet and..

Re: service

If you're considering WOW service you made the right choice, at least if you're in Ohio. I had their service for nearly 7 years with next to no service calls. The only prominent one in my memory was when a neighbor broke into the junction for the complex and disconnected my cable and connected it to theirs. They were out the same day, hooked it back up, and made the access more secure.
rakweb

join:2010-03-12
Lawrence, KS

Service degrading

I have been a wireless customer for several years, we are located in rural Kansas. Our first ISP provider was a local company called Sunflower, they were very cooperative and eager to help their customers. Then they were purchased by Knology and the quality started to degrade, now WOW is in the picture and service has crumbled. I would not recommend their service unless you only need to read your emails, their speeds are marginal and frequently the service is interrupted. Although the technical support is very good, is of no help if their equipment is outdated and prone to malfunction. My original contract with Sunflower called for unlimited use with no cap and no throttle, however that was not honored by WOW and now they throttle their customers. Occasionally and at best I get bursts of 2.5 Gb/s download speeds but currently it is 425 Kb/s download and 195 Kb/s upload. We are going to sign up with another provider that has certain guarantees.

Review by FJC See Profile

• Location: Canton,Wayne,MI
Good "Great customer service, reliable internet/cable"
Overall "Been a happy customer for 10 years, would take a lot to get me to change"

Great customer service, very friendly. Technicians have always known what they were doing. Service very reliable - in 10 years I think I've called them 2 or 3 times for internet issues, always fixed quickly.

Comments:

Bernadette

@166.137.101.x

Bad service

I've been a wow customer for four years. We have had a lot of interrupted services including out phone. I don't understand why they can't give their customers a shorter window time to send out repairmen. I was told one would be out between eight am and eleven- thirty am. I later found out I was told wrong and the serviceman would be out between eight am and nine pm. Unless you have a live in maid or no life this is unacceptable. I work for a living which is how I pay my bill. We need more choices in cable services. AT&T isn't in my area.

mildred j H

@75.76.168.x

Disgusted.

I have a problem with my phone and no one will answer when I call. It is a round about way out by saying "I can't tell what you are saying." I press one to get some help--NO HELP. Your expensive and I'm not being helped.

Review by mvonhatten See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Oakland,MI
Good "Fairly cheap internet and TV bundle."
Bad "They take forever to hire contractors to bury new lines to the house"

Have been a customer for 13 years. Started using my own modem two years ago, and have the 30/3 internet with basic cable and 2 digital converter boxes.

They raise the price on me every 12 months when the rate expires, until I call and ask about the price increase. They notice my loyalty and instantly knock $10 off my bill. I think they are happy to work with repeat customers. The bill has gone up because of state taxes, licensing fees, and other stuff that is beyond their control.

I haven't had a representative out in the last 5 years, but they were very professional when they were here last.

Comments:

Review by slyphoxj See Profile

• Location: Brook Park,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Channel changing fast on HD boxes, smooth install, decent customer/tech support"
Bad "Some TV channels out, internet outages"
Overall "Stick with Time Warner unless TWC won't renew promo pricing"

·ObiVoice
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
UPDATE (6/18/14): Had a few outages this month. I've had more issues with my internet than I have with any previous provider since I first got high speed internet back in 2001. On the verge of going back to Time Warner.

UPDATE (8/3/13): Since my last update, my WOW bill has gone up to ~$111. I called in a couple weeks ago and, without any hassle, got a $15/month for 1 year discount (restored the previous $10 discount that expired in November plus an additional $5/month to offset the $5 increase in my bundle price) and a $20 one-time credit. But.... last Tuesday morning (7/30/13) the TV started acting up again, going in and out, then at around 11:30 AM, both the TV and internet went out for a few minutes.

UPDATE (11/19/12): The "watchdog timer" issue with my cable modem's firmware appears to have been resolved... over 17 days uptime. Yay! Internet seems to be solid... I consistently score above 15/2 on speed test and pingtest.net rates my connection an "A".

But.......... still getting pixelation, freezing and, in the last couple days, outright outages on a number of the HD channels above 210 (no problems with the broadcast HD channels 200-208). On the verge of going back to Time Warner.

UPDATE (11/5/12): Still getting pixelation and freezing on some of the HD channels. Animal Planet HD was terrible on Saturday... picture paused every 2-3 seconds for a few minutes and sometimes froze (someone else posted in the WOW forum here that they experienced the same issue). My mom got a "Not Authorized" on the box in her room a little while ago while watching one of the cable news channels... I had to reboot the box to get out of that one. A firmware upgrade pushed down to my Scientific Atlanta DPC2100 caused a "watchdog timer" issue that caused my modem to reboot itself every couple days (looks like it's finally been resolved... been up over 3 days now... yaaay). And WOW changed their billing/admin system last week (right during the freakin' storm!)... some people are getting 40-70 minute wait times when calling in! Seriously considering jumping ship back to Time Warner at this point.

UPDATE: Getting occasional brief pixelation and sometimes audio dropouts for a couple seconds on some of the HD channels 210 and above (above the broadcast networks)... maybe signal level issues (haven't bothered yet to check before calling WOW).

Also I'm not getting the full upload since I was bumped from 15/1 to 15/2 (can't get any better than 1.8 Mbps upload). WOW_Dan on the WOW forum here on DSLR is aware of the issue and was able to reproduce it, so hopefully there will be a solution soon. But I'm not complaining... it was a free bump .

But otherwise... everything's OK.

If WOW were to bring the 8/1 back and charge $10/month less than the 15/2, I'd consider going back to the 8/1 and maybe also change out the HD box on my basement HDTV for a SD box and knock another $7/month off the bill if WOW would let me do that.

--- Original review ---

After reviewing our account, Time Warner offered a deal back in March 2009 for ~$83/month (raised to ~$88/month last summer) for digital basic TV with Showtime + 1 HD DVR box w/HD service + the SD digital box already installed + Road Runner Standard (8000(or was it 7000?)/512, upgraded to 10000/1000 a couple months ago) + cable modem. We took it. It was a nice upgrade from just 1 SD box for ~$68/month + AT&T 6000/768 DSL (really about 5000/650) for ~$35/month.

I called Time Warner about a month or two ago and they told me that this promo was set to expire at the end of August of this year (2011) and that the bill would be going up. If I remember right, one offer was for ~$105/month + taxes. We decided to wait. My mom then called them again about 2-3 weeks ago and the best they could offer for the services we had was ~$145/month... ouch!

So.... we decided to give WOW a call and see what they could offer. Their offer was in the neighborhood of $100/month. My mom told 'em to come out and hook us up. We got the Digital Value + 1 HD DVR box + 1 HD box + Xpress 8/1 internet + QAM SD box for ~$98/month guaranteed until 1/1/2013. Only one week till the installation... cool! The salesperson my mom spoke with mailed a sheet with the channel lineup with the Digital Value channels highlighted and services and pricing info written on it (he did this before my mom actually ordered). After my mom actually ordered service, the sales rep. mailed a copy of the work order with the pertinent info (services ordered, prices, etc.)... got this a couple days later.

Installation was yesterday (9/1/2011). The WOW installer (a contractor) showed up in the middle of the 1-3pm install window, hooked everything up and got everything working OK and did a nice, clean job with the wiring and new drop installation outside... even looks nicer than what Time Warner did when they hooked us up when we moved into this house back in 9/2009.

I'm using my old Motorola SB4200 modem that I used with Adelphia before I switched to AT&T DSL back in early 2006. WOW only supports DOCSIS 1.0 for this modem... I was only getting about 2500-3700 down with the Xpress 8/1, so I decided to save $10/month and downgrade to Xcite 2/1. I called about 11-11:30 last night... got right through to a friendly rep who immediately pushed the new speeds down to my modem. She told me the total bill with taxes, etc. would be ~$88/month... almost exactly what the TW bill was. I might get a newer modem and go back to the Xpress 8/1 again... haven't made up my mind yet.

What I like so far:

- The HD-DVR boxs so far are problem free... channel changing is MUCH faster than it was on the TW boxes. The TW Scientific Atlanta silver HD DVR box (SA8300?) was a piece of crap... took forever to change channels and had other issues that forced me to reboot it too often. The first TW HD-DVR box we had had a dead HDMI port.

- The picture quality of the 20 or so remaining analog (NTSC) channels is superb, better than the QAM basic channels.

- The channel lineup is easier to navigate... 3 digit channel numbers for the HD channels versus 4 digit numbers for the HD channels on TW

What I don't like so far:

- HD picture quality seems like it isn't as good as TW's

- I tried to call the WOW CS number before the install date to give them the MAC address of my modem. I was prompted to enter my phone number, then asked to confirm or reschedule the appointment, then it hung up on me!

Bottom line: For about the same price (within a buck), I'm getting much lower speeds (2/1 versus 10/1) then I did with TW and fewer channels (but not missing any I really care about), but WOW's HD boxes work much better, even if they have fewer features than TW's HD boxes.

I'll update this review if anything changes.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I hooked up my Motorola SB4200 modem the night before the switchover from TW -> WOW. It synced up and I saw "DOCSIS 1.1 registration complete" in the modem's log. TW supports DOCSIS 1.1 for this old modem, why can't WOW?

member for 12.1 years, 4041 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by porfkat See Profile

• Location: Grovetown,Columbia,GA
Good "Quick and easy set up. Tech stuck around until all my systems worked"
Bad "Slow as molasses, high ping times, low bandwidth, high cost"
Overall "It's the only cable internet in Grovetown so you're stuck with it or the worse AT&T DSL"

The front office was nice and explained their services well. When I read the listing of internet speeds, I turned the sheet over and she interjected "those are the only speeds we have!" 16 up and 2 down is abysmal compared to what I'm used to with Cox and Bresnan in other towns I've lived--nearly a quarter of the bandwidth I'm used to for the price.

The technician was nice enough and stuck around to make sure my laptop, tablet and phone all worked.

Lines get congested and even trying to reach Google's front page can take forever to load on the weekends so I end up using Bing (shudder). Youtube can take forever to load continually buffers even low-def videos.

What else are you going to do in Grovetown? Use AT&T DSL? Good luck with that! The installer said that WOW was supposed to upgrade speeds last year but they pushed it to the end of 2014. So, hopefully we get that 25 or 50 Mbps like a decent ISP should provide these days.

Comments:

bigjohn767

@207.98.169.x

New Service

Looking for new service in the Harlem, GA area. WOW is the only cable provider. It took me 2 weeks to get in touch with a sales person on the costs. If tech support is anything like the sales dept., I'm afraid. I watch movies from Amazon all the time so satellite internet is not the answer. I guess I'll have to live with them until something better comes alone.
netwerp

join:2010-12-10
Evans, GA
·AT&T DSL Service

WowWay - what way?

I might go with them if their service delivers as promised but clueless about why they may not deliver since their prices seem to support Comcast and not WOWway. If they won't compete and their delivery is slow maybe Bell SE is a better choice. Or maybe even satellite for TV.

Review by RogueJawa See Profile

• Location: Canal Winchester,Franklin,OH
Good "Excellent customer support, wide choice of packages."
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Glad to have them back!"

Update 06/09/14 INSTALL:

My appointment was scheduled for between 0900-1100 hours. At 0908 I received an automated call informing me my technician would arrive at 0930. He was extremely prompt; arriving at 0930 on the dot. My technician was Corey and he was extremely polite. He asked me where I wanted each item placed and even ran the cables through the proper holes on the entertainment center to keep everything nice and neat. As I had their UltraTV service a year previously he updated me on the changes that took place, from software updates to hardware updates. He programmed both remotes, allowed me to choose my own SSID and WiFi password (I found this very impressive because it's the first time a provider has let me do so), and he was on his way.

He was barely here a half an hour; he was extremely efficient, he left nothing behind, and everything works beautifully. He even offered me longer ethernet cables for my PS4 and PC. As planned I have Digital Signature with Showtime, two media players, the gateway, and 30/3 internet. Speeds have hovered at around 28 Mbps down and 3.5-4 Mbps up on both Ookla and Speakeasy. Netflix streaming is crystal clear and my PS4's online features work flawlessly.

I'm very satisfied and it is well worth the price.

ORDER:

I previously had WOW when I lived in Columbus and now I'm moving back, after dealing with Frontier for 10 months I can't wait to have real internet again. There were definitely no complaints from me when the manager of the apartment complex I'm moving to told me I could choose from satellite, AT&T, or WOW Cable.

Setting service back up was easy. The CSR was extremely helpful, and didn't try to sell me anything I didn't need. She actually started to undersell me until I asked if they still offered their UltraTV service in the area. She told me they did and asked if I was interested. She set up my order with their Signature Cable w/UltraTV (I have to have BBC America and I was pleased to see the NFL Network back on their channel lineup), Showtime (more expensive than Dish, but I only plan to keep it long enough to finish out the season of Penny Dreadful), and 30 Mbps internet (this is going to be amazing after having 500 Kbps from Frontier). They had plenty of install times open on the day I wanted, I'm moving on a Sunday and I got an appointment early on Monday morning.

She took the time to explain every charge I would receive, which I was familiar with having been a former customer, but I think it's great they're that up front with their charges. I also think it's fantastic that she didn't immediately try to sell me more than the minimum she thought I would need until I asked about the advanced services. She was from Colorado, very friendly, and we chatted while she entered my order. It was great to be treated like I mattered, and I thought it was awesome when she thanked me for coming back as a customer. I'm genuinely happy to be coming back.

Once the install is complete I'll update this and finish my ratings. Heads up, I'm going to count my "Days from order to online" as "Days from move-in to online" because it wouldn't be fair if I put 22 days there. It isn't their fault I'm a control freak who likes to have everything squared away and ordered so early.

member for 1 year, 28 visits, last login: 55 days ago

Comments:

Chad

@24.214.212.x

-1 recommendation

Wow Internet

Horrible service. I pay twice as much for half the service I used to have with Comcast. I am only forced to use it because they are the only ones available in my current location. Can not wait to move or WOW goes out of business which ever comes first.

RogueJawa

join:2013-08-15
Canal Winchester, OH
·WOW Internet and..

Re: Wow Internet

Sucks to be you I guess. I had them for several years when I lived in Columbus, OH and I can't wait to get them back. It will be interesting to see your Comcast reviews later because everyone I've ever spoken to that has it has hated them with a passion. They are among the most hated companies in America lol.