WOW Internet and Cable page on DSLReports

Review by hudiat See Profile

• Location: Brook Park,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "competitive pricing"
Bad "Terrible internet services, tech support is beyond a joke"

Update: Months of crappy video service continue. Not an isolated incident, tons of people complain about it all the time on the forum. From all over, it is network wide. For weeks now you can't call support without waiting an hour+. They are updating their software apparently, but it has been weeks of terrible wait times and when you do get through the people don't know how to do anything in the new system yet. Finally do get a hold of someone and they say you are the only person in the area so it is isolated to you, not on our end. Maybe more people would be complaining if the wait to call wasn't so long. Bottom line, they continue to blind to the fact that over the past 18 months their quality of customer service has been slowly decreasing, and is now at the point of just being another cable company. I can get someone from comcast of Time Warner on the phone quicker. They used to be SO good at customer service, and recently growth and expansion has been more important to them as a company than maintaining the customer service levels they once had.

The generic solution is always send a tech out. The tech always says nothing wrong. Problems persist.

I thought they were getting better, then I start to have issues again, and generic support is useless. It is nice an employee posts in the forums, but a user shouldn't have to find a forum that happens to have helpful wow employee to get support, regular support should be able to help to.

My situation with WOW is exactly why the industry needs real competition.

Had ongoing internet issues for 6 months. Finally get them fixed, and 3 months later more random issues.

Comments:

Rambo76098

join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH

Average?

This is a pretty negative review for average service.
hudiat

join:2011-10-13

Re: Average?

Average doesnt mean equally positive and negative. It means on par with the competition. For me the competition is ATT and time warner, so I think it is in par with them.

Rambo76098

join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH

Re: Average?

I was just curious. Before you updated the ratings, you gave a 26% lol.
slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
·WOW Internet and..

Just had another outage this past Tuesday (7/30/13)

TV was in and out throughout the morning, then the TV and internet went out at my house at around 11:30 AM. Both came back on a few minutes later... we didn't call it in (not sure if that would have done much good).

Things were good since early this year, then this stupid outage . I'm starting to move my home phone from at AT&T landline to a VoIP provider (not WOW)... not sure if that's such a great idea with WOW.
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

Re: Just had another outage this past Tuesday (7/30/13)

said by slyphoxj:

As much as I hate TWC and hate recommending it try them with a docsis 3.0 modem..

Review by Oosie65 See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Bad "Just plain awful and unreliable"

WOW is absolutely not worth your time or money. In fact their services/products were getting worse even after they jacked up everyone's monthly bill to cover the "upgrades" WOW happily informed their clientele. The internet was still slow, the pixilation and picture freezing issues with the TV had not improved. The technicians either did not show up on the scheduled date or showed up 3 hours early while you are still at work. After several incoveniencing calls to repair my problems by "sending a signal" to my digital box over a period of 9 months from moving into my new residence, my home had to be rewired after installation for the second time but the pixilation and picture freezing of the cable service was not resolved. I also received a "new" digital box during this time period. I cancelled my service earlier this month to switch to another company - found out that WOW STILL deducted the full months payment out of my bank account when I should only have paid for a few days' service. After speaking to two "representatives" I was told a refund check will be mailed to me - they cannot deduct my account electronically. The gentleman proceeded to state it was my bank's fault for not informing me of the proposed deduction - I explained that banks do not receive a proposed AUTOPAY transmittal until the day of the deducted fee. This same rep could not tell me when my refund check would be cut and mailed out so who knows how soon I will get that. They are quick to deduct your bank account but I have to wait for a refund check??? Ridiculous and totally unacceptable. If a company has EDI authorization to deduct from individuals' bank accounts, they can electronically credit the account as well. They just choose not to do so. I also was unable to access my account online to remove the autopay option even though I called 3 times to have this issue resolved, to which was not. I also received an additional bill on TOP of this automated full month's payment for a partial month's services. Technically I was being charged for an additional month's service AFTER the disconnect date.

After a period of 4 years of continuing service which was getting worse over time, I finally decided to switch companies. Now I'm stuck with a full month's payment to WOW to which I should not have paid AND a two month's payment to the new cable company all in the same paycheck in which my mortgage, insurance and condo fees are also needed to be paid. What is also interesting - when I called to order WOW service to be disconnected - there were no questions asked as to why I decided to cancel my services with them. Could it be so many people are cancelling their services with WOW they gave up inquiring the reasons?

Customer service wait time during the week in the evenings on average was 20 minutes. I heard the spiel during my wait time that "it is best to call between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm". If you're at work and need to be near your TV and/or internet in the hopes your issues will be resolved, this is not possible. We have to work in order to pay the WOW bill. Do companies get this?

Did anyone else attempt to contact WOW during the "upgrading service" only to listen to the CEO's apology message about the service, and then the call was disconnected? I could not connect to an actual representative for weeks. I couldn't receive a credit for outages since I did "not call to report the issue". If no one would answer the phone, how could they have known of the outage issues?

Customer Service representatives for WOW are generally in the same category as Verizon Wireless. Although WOW reps are not as degrading and condescending as Verizon reps. Just clueless.

Comments:

Review by Rodney.Armstrong

• Location: Grove City,Franklin,OH

WOW has the worst customer service of any cable and internet provider.
The cable and internet is less than average. Their billing is horrible!
They double billed me late last year without me knowing it. This week I
received a phone call from a debt collector stating I owed them $250! I
said "they are my provider and I am looking at the last bill which was
due a few weeks ago and I paid it on time and owe them nothing". They
said that isn't what their records show. I told them I would call WOW.

I called WOW and they said they have where we disconnected service in
February and a past due bill we never paid. I said, first I don't owe
you anything but, let's say I did... why wouldn't you cut off my service
until I paid if that is the case? She said they couldn't reach me. I
reminded them that we have service with them currently. I explained we
have had service with them for years. I reminded them that they sent out
noticed apologizing in January and February for incorrect invoicing.

After speaking to 3 people (escalating each time) they finally
determined that it would be good to reduce the $250 to $200 and call it
a deal. NOT! I have all my bills and will not pay them another cent. I
have now cancelled my service with WOW and will make it my mission to
make sure as many knows about this as possible. They have lost one
customer and a customer that will work really hard to ensure they lose
more or at least the opportunity at some for $200. It isn't the fact
that I can't pay it, because I waste more than that in a weekend of
eating out (family of 5) but it is just the principle of the matter.

In close, BEWARE of WOW! Don't go with them. Unfortunately I don't have
a good reference for any but I am going back to Time Warner. Even though
I will pay more and their customer service isn't much better, at least
they had accurate billing and if there was a problem, they would address
and admit it. Good luck WOW, you will need it!

(review was emailed from domain securitasinc.com)

Comments:
SCSIraidGURU

join:2013-05-24
Saint Clair Shores, MI

I beg to differ

I called last night about my bill around 7pm. After choosing a few customer billing options, my wait was about 1 minute. They answered my question promptly.

ryanx30

@knology.net

Re: I beg to differ

I just got my bill this morning and they are charging me $260 when I know for a fact that I only incurred about $130 in charges this month. WOW! has only been in my town for about a month and before then Knology was pretty good with not billing me like this. I called them about this problem and they don't seem to care. I will try to inform others in my town to try to stop using WOW! if they have this problem also and go to Charter instead.

Review by avonlakeoh See Profile

• Location: Avon Lake,Lorain,OH
Good "Quick install, good reception, good internet speed, good phone"
Bad "Terrible Service, Phone calls never answered, E-mails never answered"
Overall "We'll go back to Century Phone and DSL and Time Warner TV"

Order and Install went smooth as glass. WOWWAY was new to our area. It was competitive with Time Warner and Century phone and DSL.. We were given 6 months per year seasonal hold for $20+ per month. In the fall when we tried to place WOW on seasonal hold they never answered any phones. E-mails went unanswered and there was no way to notify WOW of desired seasonal hold on their web site. They continued to charge our VISA the full amount 4 months after we put the service on hold. We finally went to visa, presented them with the facts and they reversed the charges. To this day WOW has no idea what's going on. Finally talk to their service reps and you get a different story from each one. WOW is absolutely out of control. A company run by accountants - great at getting your money but extremely poor customer service. Avonlakeoh

member for 1 year, 0 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by hovisrobert See Profile

• Location: Saint Clair Shores,Macomb,MI
Good "it used to work ,they used to answer the phone"
Bad "no customer service only busy signal"
Overall "stay away do not buy this service but since they don't answer the phone you probably can't sign up anyway"

I have had this service for over 3 or 4 years. We have triple play. The only thing that still works well is the phone. Internet download is below 1 megabit. TV reception is now poor. On their website it say customer service wait time is 10mins. you only get busy signal .If you call 10 or 20 times you might get through but you will be on hold for an hour or so. It took that much effort to have my Moms service removed ,but then was stiffed by service people who never showed up on time to pickup parts.Could not call to find out why because of above mentioned customer service problems. These problems have been going on for more than 2 months.
This was a good company
Its a shame but I recommend you look elsewhere for cable service

Update !!!!!
In response to all the complaints and bad service wowway has reacted by
RAISING OUR RATES BY $8
But they are really sorry

Comments:

Ex wow custo

@wideopenwest.com

Wow sucks!

Did they really send a letter telling us how sorry they were about their poor service and then the very next paragraph said they were raising their rates?

How about a refund for all the bad service?
bartongrimm

join:2013-03-06
Franklin, MI

WOW are nothing but liars

They lied that their "billing upgrade" wasn't the cause of the crap service since 11/2013. Finally met someone who told me it was a company wide lie. They screwed the pooch on the upgrade and just don't care about their customers. Lies, lies and more lies. Corporate America is a piece of s**t. They have been to my house about twenty-five times, s**t still doesn't work. Run, do not walk, away fast, fast, fast. What a bunch of low-lifes.

Review by CSS See Profile

• Location: Allen Park,Wayne,MI
Bad "Failed customer service; Inaccurate billing"
Overall "Leave this company"

In the two months we have been with WOW, they have failed to respond to email queries, are very difficult to reach via telephone, and billing has been grossly inaccurate. Through auto pay, double the amount due was deducted from our bill paying account resulting in bounced check fees for us. After more than 40 minutes on the phone, customer service rep Kirsten stated she could not provide a timely refund, but would submit a "research paper" to investigate the cause of the problem. Additionally, when I spoke with customer service manager, Nikko, she reiterated she could not provide a timely refund. I then requested some form of compensation. She agreed to provide $50 towards next month's bill. I asked that under the circumstances, why she did not offer compensation rather than me having to request it; her response was "I don't know how to respond to that". Currently I do not have a refund nor do I have any proof of compensation. Is WOW incorrectly taking money and drawing interest on it before providing a refund?

Comments:

Review by Hoohash See Profile

• Location: Grosse Ile,Wayne,MI

I was happy with WOW for the first roughly year of service. However, I encountered an issue early on with my computer not printing to my wireless printer that was 1 month old and worked fine with my previous Comcast service. I was told by the tech my printer was bad and they attempted to charge me for the diagnosis. I then was able to reach someone at WOW tech support that says the encryption of the WOW service conflicts with some of the wireless printers.

Now, they keep apologizing for the terrible transation in the billing system. I just want to be able to watch TV and have more than one person on the internet at a time. Every night or every other night, the delay in the picture is so bad it's just a bunch of digitized cubes. Call WOW and the phone just rings busy all night. I give up. I won't go back to Comcast, but I won't deal this this. If only I could reach them to cancel my service. AT&T - here I come!

Comments:

Disappointed

@wideopenwest.com

Horrible service and cable!

Do not get this service we have had problems with our service for almost 3 months.....can't ever watch tv have had 5 service men out to keep changing boxes still no cable...I wouldn't put this service in my dogs house! Comcast here we come. Service may be a little more but at least I get to watch tv instead of paying and never having cable! so so so disappointed and so inconvenienced ...

Review by Tutch2012 See Profile

• Location: Madison Heights,Oakland,MI
Good "WOW was once an excellent provider, maybe theyll make a come back."
Bad "Everything from thier lies, to thier customer support"
Overall "Please, from one human being to another, DO NOT PURCHASE!"

I signed up for this website just so i can share my personal experience and help others find a half decent cable company. I used to have comcast, they had wonderful internet and tv from personal experience. However i switched to WOW due to a rude encounter from customer support, but i was horribly let down when i found out that WOW was not any better. To reach WOW on average is a 10-60 Minute wait, (no joke! Check out www.wowway.com, they admit this fault!) and if you do ever manage to get a hold of them, their attitude can often be less than pleasant. I invested this poorly used hour of my life to get someone to come over to check put my internet as without warning, it stopped working. The worker had an awful attitude (and i attempt to be nice to people such as this, its not their fault its not working) from the moment he laid foot on my property. As to their television services, my TV will freeze without warning for anywhere from 5-10 minutes. This happens quite frequently along with a terrible delay in the picture. And finally with the internet, where to start. I have became a master in dealing with routers and modems because i (this is not a lie!) have to restart them on average 5-15 times a day. From a statistic standpoint they have fair connection speed, but from personal experience this is far from the truth. It can take upwards from 10 seconds to load a single page, i pay for 15MBPS but as i checked it yesterday i only have 1.111MBPS, however i would rather take that then ever deal with such rude employees ever again. I've heard that AT&T is worse so WOW isn't the epitome of terrible all around service, just very close to it.

Comments:
mykelhall

join:2012-08-05
Naperville, IL

dont be sour...

I have had WOW! internet and cable TV since they came to Naperville some 10+ years ago now. The past couple months yes, have been bad for WOW! but please do not let these past couple months sour you on WOW! altogether. In the entire time I have had WOW!, these past couple months have been the only negative I have had with them. Yes every once in a while the TV picture cuts out for half a second and yes once in a while our internet drops and once every several months yes we cycle our router and modem ( well now TV gateway for Ultra TV). But I had to do that with Comcast too and no company has a 100% up-time...i guarantee it.

If you just have their standard cable .... try upgrading to their Ultra TV. I absolutely love it. I had Comcast for 3.5 years while at my apartment at school and yes I loved them. I wanted to switch to them when I moved back home. However my parents never did and I am now thankful for that, since our Ultra TV upgrade.

Every company goes through a time where sometimes stuff messes up. But like I said, yes the past 2-3 months have been HORRIBLE for WOW!, but don't let that persuade you to switch back to comcrap. (har har har) Try their Ultra TV if you have not already and then see what I am talking about...if you lived close i would let you come check it out.

misslady1980

@tmodns.net

terrible service/customer service has busy Sig for 2weeks!!!

Normally its ok. the last few weeks I can't even watch tv. The screen is frozen or completely choppy. Complete waste of money. I've had wow for ten or more years but I think its time for a change! sorry wow no stars!!!!

Review by smdoginlife See Profile

• Location: Canton,Wayne,MI
Good "Great Reliability"
Bad "Everything Else Lately"
Overall "Customer Service is Nonexistent Right Now"

I've been a fan of wow for over 4 years, since they were first installed. Originally, contacting sales was a pleasant experience and I got an install date within the week.

The installer who came out outright called me a liar when I said the sales rep promised they would fish a new outlet for me for free. I had to physically contact the sales department again to get them to talk to the installer and confirm this, and then when he went into the attic to fish the line down, he lied and told me he couldn't do it, that my -inside- walls were insulated (which is BS, I know my house, been in the attic many times and pulled up my insulation to look down). So installation was a bummer - I'd advise recording the phone call with the sales rep who makes you promises so you have something to play back for the installer.

Once installed, my internet and cable service has been stellar! I have no complaints at all about it. I can count on one hand how many times I've had tech support issues, and usually they are resolved in a timely fashion. I've loved my WOW internet and cable service way more than I loved my Comcast service.

HOWEVER, WOW has been "upgrading their support system" for well over a month, if not longer. I've been wanting to make a change in my plan, and 8 of 9 calls I make to their customer support number (1-866-496-9669) results in a busy signal. And anytime I do get through, I get a message telling me the wait time for a service representative is HUGE. I've tried waiting on hold for 20-40 minutes at a time (tried multiple times), and every time I simply end up hanging up out of frustration, never getting in contact with anyone.

It's been outrageous how long this has been going on. I'm totally upset and frustrated, and have emailed their support email only to get a message back that basically says they can't help me via email, that I need to call in. Seriously? This is completely unacceptable, but I can't get anyone on the line to complain about it. So here I am, putting this review out there so people can read it.

I'm about ready to cancel. But how can I cancel? I can't even get in contact with anyone to do so. I've thought about writing a letter to the FCC and the BBB about this, but I'm not sure it would do any good. I may end up having to send a registered letter to their service center. This has been the worst customer service experience IN MY LIFE, and I don't say that lightly.

If you go with WOW, you'd better pray that you have no plan-changes or issues that require contacting their service department.

(FYI the "total monthly cost" includes not just my internet service through them, but my cable and phone service as well)

Update: 12/21/2012 at 1am:

I was finally able to get through to a customer service rep a few minutes ago (after midnight of all times). I already had another service provider installed, and so I told the rep that I wanted to cancel. She asked why, and I told her that this was the first time in 2 months I was able to reach an actual person.

She alluded to some "hiring of extra support" for the end of the year. I have to wonder if they completely shut down a support site or two and moved locations elsewhere. Of course this is speculation, but she did have a strange almost "Yooper" accent - if not Northern Michigan, then Minnesotan, Alaskan, or maybe Canadian. Again, I'm not sure whether this is true or not, but her allusion was interesting, so it sounds like it was an issue of lack of support personnel at least in part.

Best of luck to anyone that sticks with WOW. I may be back if they ever get things sorted out. For now, I'll enjoy a cheap introductory rate with another provider.

Update #2 - Jan 4, 2013 @ 4:30pm: Just got a bill in the mail for billing period 12/29-1/28. Had to wait on hold for another 30 minutes today to get to a billing agent who told me "Oops. We will issue an 'incorrect bill' form which will take 7-10 days to process." I'm still due the $50 for the 1/3 partial month of Dec I didn't have service. I'm not sure when I'm going to get it at this point.

Another failure of WOW's customer service department. And I have a feeling I'm going to have to call again in a couple weeks to make sure the 'incorrect bill' report was filed and processed. Do yourself a favor and avoid this mess yourself.

Comments:

Review by kpossible See Profile

• Location: Westlake,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "USED to be great."
Bad "No longer great."
Overall "Don't do it unless Time Warner is your ONLY other option."

UPDATE 12/12/2012: All of the good intentions in the world can't seem to correct my internet bandwidth issue. I am still getting 20's and 30's down - sometimes even in the teens. Keep in mind that my package is 50 down. My upload, at 5, is never an issue.

Also, the digital breakup issue with the video still exists every hour, on a daily basis. I was told that the pixelation issue was recently fixed. I was not for me.

One more chance...

UPDATE 11/24/2012: I may be on the road to a permanent solution to my (and other area user's) internet bandwidth issues! I have been assured of something specific, but am not at liberty to discuss it, as it has not been implemented yet. I am hopeful for the first time in... well, it's been months and months. It's been months of doggedly asserting that there indeed is a problem. *Fingers crossed*

If this works and everything goes back to how it originally was a long, long time ago, then the ratings will go up as well.

UPDATE 11/21/2012: My 50 mb down package renders me 15-25 mb down for solid blocks of time each and every evening (depending on the day of the week) from 7:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. I have been told that they are looking into this . A friend of mine in my immediate area has WOW's 15 mb down package and during the times that he has checked his bandwidth, he is getting that. So, does that mean it's good to get the lower bandwidth packages, but not the higher? I will update when I receive a response.

UPDATE 2012: Unreliability has become the cause of the day with WOW. Old equipment, pixelation and outages and extreme internet variability have replaced the WOW of old. I don't know what's going on, but more and more I feel trapped between the lesser of two (cable) evils. What's more is, they make the customer feel that the problem is all their own, not WOW's (except for this last epic fail with the picture for 24 hours, so far).

I used to be one of WOW's biggest proponents, a staunch supporter and defender. I recommended them to all I knew who were on the hunt for service. Now, I wouldn't dream of doing that.

Please, WOW, make dramatic service improvements, boost reliability and, for goodness sake, change your self-righteous attitude. I want to amend this review for the better in the near future!

2003:
I am, so far, impressed with Wide Open West. The speed has been reliable - I have their 3000/500 package. I rarely drop to any speed below those values. I was a somewhat satisfied Adelphia customer, until they halved the speeds. So, for $3.00 more, I am getting double the speed. I am told that I would not be able to actually see a difference in performance between 1500/256 and 3000/500, but I don't find that to be true. I can.

Installation was okay - there was a delay due to the accounts department at WOW, not the installer. The charge for complete installation was $4.95. I own my own modem. If I did not own, I believe that they would have charged me $2.50 per month for modem rental.

I am a couple of weeks into this service and will update as necessary.