WOW Internet and Cable page on DSLReports

• Location: Independence,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "When finally installed the service works well, so far."
Bad "The installer was 5 Hours late and then took 2 hours more for lack of tool to open pedistal."
Overall "24/7 customer service is nothing more than someone saying \"

This is the worst customer service I have encountered. My installation has
been scheduled for weeks and was to occur between 10:00 AM and 12:00 Noon.
After taking the morning off work then driving to my office to get the service
order records at 1:00 PM, I was told the technician would be at my residence
at 1:30 PM so I returned to await his arrival. At 2:00 PM, I started
calling again. After two "disconnects" while on hold and questions like
"didn't he call you? ", I finally received a call from the "technician"
saying he will arrive around 3:00 PM. He said, "I got held up on another
job." When he arrived he could not open the service pedestal for lack of the proper tool. Two hours later, the service was finally up. Apparently these people have very limited access to a phone and/or
total disregard for customer service.

(review was emailed from domain electrodata.com)

Comments:

Review by mikellbro See Profile

• Location: Arlington Heights,Cook,IL
Bad "Horrible. Connection reliability in the toilet."

I got their combination digital TV and cable internet. In my most recent dslreports speed tests from last week, I was only getting DSL speeds, with 700k download and 1mb upload. My pingplotter logs have shown occasional terrible dropouts, sometimes approaching 50% where the internet becomes pretty much unusable. The dropouts are not occurring locally and my pingplotter results to my local router and cable modem and the neighborhood router are fine, but the dropouts are occurring upstream from the router that is handling my local cable modem. This has gotten worse and worse lately to the point I cannot tolerate anymore. Of course, no tech support will recognize my pingplotter results and will not seem to even offer to ping my modem. I am fed up with WoW and will leave them as soon as I have identified a better more reliable connection, hopefully before the end of the week. Yesterday, my connection (and according to WoW, much of Illinois) was down for both internet and TV, from about 11:30am to 3am the next morning. Yes, great service, like they tout in all their commercials. They should spend more money paying competent techs and less on their constant commercials.

Comments:

Review by Ambrnels

• Location: Warren,Macomb,MI
Bad "Was good but not I hope they all rot in hell ."
Overall "Wowway is nothing but a bunch of thieves!!!!!"

I have to give Wow big zero stars. My home burned down on Oct 31. I
called Wow a couple of days later and was reassured that I would not
have to pay for the lost equipment. I got slapped with an 2800 dollar bill
today and was also told "that's too bad " over the phone. And would not even waived bill for month after the fire. I lost everything and 2 of my dogs died and they are screwing me when they said they wouldn't and also , the equipment was about to be replaced with the newer energy efficient equipment . so they want to overcharge me for outdated crap? I hope they all rot in hell . Wow is nothing but a bunch of thieves!!!!!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by Ambrnels

• Location: Warren,Macomb,MI
Good "Nothing"
Bad "I have to give WOW! a whopping zero stars."
Overall "This experience has left me with the feeling and knowledge that WOW! is nothing but a bunch of thieves!!"

I have to give WOW! a whopping zero stars. My home caught fire and burned
down on October 31st. I called WOW! a couple of days later and was assured
that I would not have to pay for the equipment that was lost in the fire.
Today I was shocked to receive a $2800 bill. When I called and explained
the situation I was told Thats too bad.I was then informed that they
would not even waive the bill for the month after the fire, when I was
unable to use WOW! I lost everything, including my 2 dogs, and I feel
completely screwed over by WOW! Additionally, the equipment I am expected
to pay an exorbitant amount for was out of date and about to be replaced
with newer, energy efficient equipment. I am outraged that WOW! went back
on their word and how I have been treated in this situation. This
experience has left me with the feeling and knowledge that WOW! is nothing
but a bunch of thieves!!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by JTLENTERPRIS5 See Profile

• Location: Chicago Heights,Cook,IL
Good "BETTER THAN COMCAST"
Bad "NOBODY KNOWS WHAT THE ARE DOING"
Overall "THEY SUCK"

MY NET IS DOWN MORE THAN UP. THE SPEED IS GOOD WHEN IT WORKS. I HAVE WINDOWS 7 ULT, 64 BIT. I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WHEN THE NET IS UP, BUT IT IS ALWAYS DOW IN THE MORNING. AND MID AFTERNOON. THEY DON'T SEE A PROBLEM.

MY DIGITAL CABLE SUCKS TOO, THE PICTURE FLICKERS, VERY SHITTY, THEY DON'T SEE A PROBLEM THERE. THEY BOOSTED MY SIGNAL TWICE, NOTHING, SUCKS, I LEFT COMCAST FOR THIS CRAP. I AM GOING TO DTV, HAD THEM IN THE OLD HOUSE, NEVER HAD A PROBLEM, EVER.

Comments:

Review by gcw See Profile

• Location: Schaumburg,Cook,IL
Good "Mostly-reliable service (when the techs don't screw things up)"
Bad "Completely inept support. Tier 3 doesn't know jack about networking"
Overall "Use them if you're opposed to Comcast and/or AT&T otherwise save yourself the headaches and avoid them"

I've had WOW service for about a year now. They don't offer the fastest speeds but that's okay for what I do. Their 250GB monthly cap is inane but hey at least they let you know it's there upfront (unlike some ISPs).

After a year of service I can state that their technical support is perhaps the least well informed bunch of "technical" personnel on the planet. On the one hand I commend them for keeping their call-center staffed 24/7 and keeping the jobs on-shore here in the US (where their business is). That said, to call their support staff even poorly trained would be an exaggeration.

In my case I'd been first told to configure my device with a "static" IP address that turned out to be dynamic. Then I was assigned another IP address that was improperly configured on their side. When I called in to let them know, specifically, that it was a routing issue they wasted more than 6 hours of my time having me walk through senseless 'trouble-shooting' steps until they had given up. When I pointed out to them that the default gateways were different for the working IPs we'd tested and the one non-working IP that was routing improperly they finally realized that I knew what I was talking about and told me that they would escalate the issue to the 'networking team'. 6 hours of my life wasted because their tier 3 support team doesn't know anything about basic networking.

==Proprietary==
A few things I was told by their techs that let you know how clueless they are:
me: So you want me to take out my manual IP config and set my router to get a configuration from your side with DHCP?
Wow Tier-3: No DHCP is used for DYNAMIC configurations on your LAN. When you get an IP from us you'll pull it from our servers and we give you the static one.
me: ok so if it's not DHCP then is it BootP that you use to configure the static IPs?
Wow Tier-3: that's proprietary
me: What's proprietary????
Wow Tier-3: The technology we use to have you pull your IP from us. We can't disclose it.

==Web Site==
Me: Well I'm not able to establish a route to host
Wow Tier-3: Well is there a website for that host?
Me: What do you mean? If you're asking whether there is a web server running on that host; no there is not. If you're asking whether there is a web server running anywhere on that network, I'm sure there is.. but I don't know where.
Wow Tier-3: Well if you can't get to their in IE how do you know their site is even up?
Me: Because I can get to that host from another IP address
Wow Tier-3: So then you're not having a problem getting there....
Me: No, I _am_ having a problem getting there from the IP you assigned me. But I can get there from another host on the internet so I know the host is up.
Wow Tier-3: What's the website? I'll see if I can get there
Me: There is no website. It's just a host out on the internet that I'm trying to get to
Wow Tier-3: Well maybe their firewall is preventing you from getting to their website.

Comments:

Review by JazzJRabbit See Profile

• Location: Naperville,Du Page,IL
Good "Same day install, English speaking support"
Bad "Extremely unreliable in the peak hours"
Overall "Mixed bag, good CS, bad techs/reliability"

2011-09-30 update, bought standard WOW webstar modem from ebay and hooked it up about a week ago. So far zero connection issues. So it looks like even though WOW says they support 6120 there are still some incompatibilities.

----------------------------------------------------------------

2011-07-21 Complete loss of connection for several minutes at a time around 10pm. From forum discussions it looks more and more like the problem is Motorola SB6120 modem. The modem is approved by WOW to use on their network, but for some reason it just doesn't work well during peak hours.

2011-07-13 Had download from Microsoft Technet fail because of intermittent connection problems at 10pm yet again.

2011-07-12 Random packet loss around 11pm.

2011-07-05 Heavy packet loss around 10pm as usual.

2011-06-17 Friday, heavy packet loss around 11pm and high pings up to 2000ms.

2011-06-09 heavy packet loss and basically loss of all connectivity for about 2-5 minutes around 10pm.

2011-05-24 unreliable connection again around 10pm, very high ping variations >500ms and occasional timeouts, frustrating because I was trying to pay my insurance bill online

2011-05-23 from 9pm to 11pm 25% to 50% ping time outs or pings with >500ms latency, just as I try to pay my bills online.

2011-05-07 25% ping timeout to google around 4pm, was kicked out of a game because connection was so unstable, 10 minutes later everything seems to be fine again, but the game was already ruined

2011-05-03 Update - Connectivity problems yet again in the evening, half the ping attempts started timing out around 9pm, then internet went down completely for about half an hour, even though the lights on the modem showed it was still connected. The internet restored itself around 10pm. This has been happening pretty regularly lately. I wish WOW would upgrade their network to prevent these outages.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I've had WOW cable for more than a year now so it's time to update the review, or rather completely rewrite it because of the recent issues I've been having.

The initial order and install went very smoothly, however first tech used subgrade cable from WOW post to the WOW box on the side of the house so after a couple of months I've started having connectivity issues and the tech that came out to our house had to replace the cable leading to our house. Fast forward couple of months later and I'm losing connectivity again. The second tech that came out determined it's a bad connection inside the WOW cable box so he had to reterminate the cable. Smooth sailing again, that is until now, 6 months later... I have 15/1 plan and during peak evening hours, especially on weekends, my pings and speeds become erratic. I do not game a lot, thankfully, only about two hours at most a week, but evenings are the only time I can play and it becomes an exercise in patience because unsteady ping times result in 1-5 second lag twice a minute which is extremely annoying. Speeds slow down to about one third of what I pay for as well. I've done speed tests to both WOW and SpeakEasy servers and both show me pretty much the same results - during peak hours my connection slows down to about 5/0.5 which is less than half of what I pay for. During night and day I have no problems hitting 15/1 speeds, but during those dreadful 4 or so hours in the evening my connection is suffering. I occasionally remote in to work and I can tell when congestion issues are coming because suddenly my remote terminal becomes a lot less responsive taking several tries to register a mouse click and in severe cases even completely losing connection.

So to sum it up:
-Botched initial cable install
-Botched cable termination while fixing bad cable install
-And now I'm having speed issues during peak hours that I haven't had before

To WOW's credit I like the fact that their stuff are all English speaking, no outsourcing nonsense, I have never had problems while calling WOW, they always pick up right away and I always get English speaking person. However, on the technical side WOW has been mediocre at best. When it comes down to it, WOW techs screwed up twice, and recent congestion issues are a big pain in you know where. And the saddest part is I can't really switch service to anyone else, I do not want Comcast because I do not want to deal with their 250GB cap and I cannot switch to ATT because they can only provide 1.5/384 service, and those speeds are way too optimistic anyway. So for now I'm stuck with WOW.

member for 11.2 years, 2074 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by stan.haught

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "Easy to set up new service"
Bad "Service unreliability is legendary"
Overall "if you only use it occasionally, and don't care if it's down for a day or so, it's a good value"

In the past 6 months, I have been having multiple and continued service
outages - almost always during the day and not during any poor weather.
Every time I call, I hear the same thing "it is an outage to your area and
a technician has been dispatched". These outages go from 1-4 hours and only
during the weekday between 8-6. When I call to complain, I get the standard
"there is nothing we can do until the technician fixes it, then we can tell
you it is fixed". No ETA. Once when I spent 90 minutes on the phone with a
supervisor, he offer to credit me $30 for my repeated inconvenience. I told
him where to put the $30 (not really, but I did decline it I was so
insulted).

Unexplained disruptions 2-3 weekdays a week between 1 and 4 hours.
Repeatedly, over and over again. Complaining doesn't help.."sir, there is
nothing anyone can do other than the technician and I'm sure he is fixing
this now"....but they can't check. There are no notes in the computer about
WHY the outage happened afterwards. As long as you pay your bill, there is
no reason for them to try.

Here is what I think - they sell a lot of commercial service and I'm betting
that instead of increasing their capacity, they do rolling blackouts to
residential areas during the day. They deny this, but of course they
would.

Once my Time Warner gets installed, I won't go back to WOW ever again. I
hate paying for cable and internet, but I do believe in getting what I pay
for.

For a company that provides a service, they have a very product focused
attitude. They say they win awards, but it's because they gloss over their
service issues and sweep them under the rug. If I worked for WOW, I would
worry about my job, because you can't make money if you do nothing but lose
customer base. And if you continue to lose customers (like me) because you
can't fulfill your primary job, you are sunk as a company.

Only 2 more days and I will have TWC again, and although I will pay more, I
have high hopes of actually having service!!!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by misterchi See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Customer Service Reps and Techs"
Bad "Reliability"
Overall "good once upon a time but i'm moving on"

i've been with WOW for years and used to rave about their reliability and how responsive they were when there was a problem, which were few and far between. over the last two years, however, outages are more common and the excuses are more annoying. supposedly, there was a hardware upgrade about a year and a half ago that was going to fix things, but now outages are commonplace, weekly, if not daily. i've switched my phones to vonage and plan to find another isp and cable provider.

Comments:

Review by syzygy38 See Profile

• Location: Ferndale,Oakland,MI
Good "Much cheaper than Comcast"
Bad "Super slow lately"
Overall "I think I'll get AT&T DSL for twice the advertised speed and $10 less/mo"

I've had WOW for 5 years and have been happy with it given Comcast as my only alternative. I do not watch TV so I'm only interested in HSI. In the last 4 months I've noticed the service speed is really flakey and this morning it was:

16-12-2010 09:03 AM java speedtest 88 Kbps 1096 Kbps New Jersey, USA wideopenwest.com wow this sucks!