WOW Internet and Cable page on DSLReports

Review by SirCaleb See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "1.5MB connection for $39.99 is cheap"
Bad "On AT&T's backbone (horrible)"
Overall "Unstable"

If you want awesome bandwidth at 3am, this is the ISP for you. If you play games online or rely on a low-latency connection, look elsewhere. They use AT&T as their backbone provider and it's absolutely horrible from 7pm - 1am on weeknights.

Getting a 1.5MB downstream connection for only $39.99 isn't bad -- if you can live with frequent outages and poor latency.

member for 12.7 years, 54 visits, last login: 11.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by mzkhadir See Profile

• Location: Arlington Heights,Cook,IL
Good "Great Speeds, Price"
Bad "Constant Port Scan Attacks from other users"
Overall "Good for what you pay for."

I had no problems during install, I am happy with service, When I called to install it was a simple process. Nothing went wrong, cancelling ELink next month because my contact is OVER.

Comments:

Review by Imlost0 See Profile

• Location: Cleveland,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Great service fast speed, great installer. Good people. Nice Pre-Sales"
Bad "I wish I couldve had it earlier."
Overall "If its avil, you NEED to get it."

I ordered the 1500/300 advanced package at 39.99 a month. The order process was great the lady I talked to was very nice. I got a free use of a modem, which is good. my other company didnt offer us free anything . 3 static IP's I hear are also a good thing, I have yet to set all of them up. I havent checked the mail server or news yet, seeing that I use the newspaper to get news, Im assuming it was all good. Realible service on my end. No problems yet.

When the man showed up, i was just waking up, that shows how early they come. I was the first on the list. He went straight on asking how we wanted it setup. Afterwards he went out, got the cable going and had it up and ready quickly. After coming in. he setup the computers, but we had some problems. come to see that we had the router all mixed up. I put it back to the way it was before i got the new service and it worked great. Speeds are very fast I am pleased. Monthly charge is also good. I recommend this to all In Cleveland area who their service is avil. I havent got a disconnection yet or have had an probs as of 2-10-03. Get the service now, and lock in your rates til Jan 2004 is all I have to say.

member for 12.1 years, 36 visits, last login: 11.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by hcaeb2000 See Profile

• Location: Wayne,Wayne,MI
Good "fast so far , reliable"
Bad "none yet"
Overall "I am getting a deal til 2004 TV and Internet for $60 a month, I was paying 50 a month for Earthlink DSL and this is faster"

So far so good...I have nothing bad to say about Earthlink, the only thing is...Some of these companys have to step up to the competitive prices that are going on now or they will lose all of their customers.....Even after my first 10 months WOW will only be 40 dollars a month which is still cheaper...and faster

Comments:

Review by GadgetsRme See Profile

• Location: Denver,Denver,CO
Good "Very fast, I'm paying for 3000/3000 kbps but exceed that all of the time."
Bad "None that I've run into yet."
Overall "After AT&T@home and ATTBI this is web surfers paradise"

A happy surfer, that's me. Every contact with WOW has been with a courteous person who if he or she doesn't know the answer knows someone who does. Until they sign up more users onto their system in my neighborhood I was told to expect very fast connections. The man was not wrong. The only equipment I bought was a RealTek 10/100mbps ethernet card to replace the el' cheapo one that AT&T put in when they installed their service. I have a dynamic IP. I am paying for 3000/3000 service and was told to report if it ever falls below for any extended length of time. My speeds right now stay over 10mbps almost all the time. My installers were on time and finished the job promptly. My monthly price of $44.95 is less than I paid for the "Other" service by a dollar. Not needing a modem is nice side benefit of this service. WOW fiber optic is the way to go if you can.

2-14-03

I"ve had WOW for about a year and I had my first major problem yesterday. My connection was fine at noon, but when I came home in the evening nada, zip, nothing. I called support had a tech in about 5 minutes. We did the whole reboot, throw away the router, and release and renew the IP thing. No signal. The tech scheduled a truck for 8:30 this morning,with instructions to call 20 min. before arrival so I could get there from work. I rec'd a call from the tech at 8:20. We met at the house at 8:35. He traced the line back until he found a failed connection in the box at the pole. He repaired the connection, my speeds are better than before and I was on my way back to the office at 9:15. You can't ask for much better service than that!

member for 12.7 years, 6749 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jlichty See Profile

• Location: Troy,Oakland,MI
Good "Consistently get 1.4Mbits/s down & >275Kb/s up; Tech support has been good"

I got the Advanced package with basic cable and I pay $55/month. The package advertises 1.5Mbps downstream and 300Kbps upstream. I regularly get 1.4Mbps downstream and greater than 225Kbps upstream, even during peak hours. I have had no outages or major issues. There was a week when I was getting 640Kbps down, but that has cleared up and I've had great speed since.

Comments:

Review by dopeline See Profile

• Location: Westland,Wayne,MI
Good "Quick to get you setup so they can start billing you! Cable TV never goes out."
Bad "Horrible internet connectivity, lousy tech support, lousy billing department"
Overall "They were good for a while, but just like every other ISP, they suck and are only concerned about the mighty dollar."

Let me start off by letting you know that I pay my bills on time all the time.

WOW calls me today and claims I owe them $180. WHOA! HOW?!?!

Well, it dates back to November. I moved from an apartment to a house and at the time I had Digital Cable w/ all the channels + cable modem. Got services established at the new place in December. I figured because I didn't live in my apartment for all of November and obviously can't use their services, I could call in and get a partial-credit. They told me I could. So the account was zeroed out.

On the same call, I get my services switched from Digital to just Basic w/ HBO since I don't watch all the channels. They tell me my new bill is $67.53 and that I'd be getting a revised bill in the next week or two.

So I get the bill... open it up, and it's $90 somethin. I call in "WTF, why is this $90?" They tell me "That's how much it is for your services. Advanced internet with Basic cable and HBO" I tell them "No, it's $67.53, as noted in my account."

"Oh, there are no notes in your account." Great, so now they don't take notes of calls they get or when their own customers put in a service change request. It's BS because... well, how did they know I had basic if previously I had digital? The magic service changing fairy must've shown up, huh!?

So after a week of arguing with them, they finally realize they packaged it wrong and fix their mistake.

During that time I wanted to establish my email so I could use Usenet. I managed to get a lippy technician who claims he can't set my email up unless I'm calling from home (I told him I was calling from work, where I was.) So I ask him why, he doesn't give me a straight answer... so I ask to speak with his supervisor, he hangs up on me. Disgruntled employee?

So anyway.. fast forward to Friday. I get a call saying I have an outstanding balance. "Uh... no. I don't." I look at my bank statement which shows 2 payments I made for December and January.

I call back and they tell me that my previous account from November wasn't zeroed out. Coincidentally, the person who zeroed it out didn't even make a note of it. So... I guess I'm making it up now, eh?

Anyway, they decided to take payments made to my NEW account and use them in my old one, even though it has a balance of 0. Mind you, they have a SURPLUS of money from me. They proceed to tell me I haven't paid my new account in 3 months and that the payments that were just made were to pay off the old account, which has a 0 balance. How does one pay off an account with a 0 balance?!

Ah yes... the nice employee who failed to make note of the time when they zeroed my account. So their stupid mistakes cost me a LOT of money.

So how does it add up to $180? They can't prove it to me. I told them to cancel my account because I'm goin back to COMCAST, also adding that I refuse to pay a balance that someone else's mistake created. They proceed to tell me they'll send collection agencies after me.

Wow, what a NICE FRIENDLY ISP.

They never note your account, so whenever you need to prove something, you get "Well, we don't have notes for you on that day." The tech/billing people only give you their first name, so you can refer to a call you made on December 14 to "David", but what good is that? How many Davids do they have working for them? They don't give out reference #s at all. So how in the WORLD can I prove that someone agreed to zero out my account? I CAN'T and it's BS. Instead I tell them "It's not my problem if one of your workers promises to do something and doesn't follow through with it." and the accountant responds with "Actually, it is your problem." What?! I'll take my money elsewhere.

So as a result... I get screwed.

What can a lowly consumer like me do? Obviously the only choice I have is to sit back and take it. I'm going to make a complaint to the Attorney General. Hopefully this will take care of some issues with them.

I think this should be illegal. You can't just magically charge someone $180 and move two payments, made to one specific account, to a completely different one.

Not to mention the cable connection goes out 4-5 times a day EVERY DAY.

Horrible service. I recommend everyone leave them.

Regardless, I'm going to Comcast and taking advantage of their reduced billing by switching from a competitor! Maybe after those few months are up... I can switch back to WOW, take advantage of a "Switch from Comcast, get $29 a month service" I could keep that up..

Comments:

Review by NetGeek6 See Profile

• Location: Mount Clemens,Macomb,MI
Good "Cost / Speed / Uptime"
Bad "DNS is a bit flakey / Loves to hang onto MAC addresses"
Overall "Better then Comcast!!"

I was watching things very carefully when WoW starting to roll out service in my area. I had switched to WoW for Digital cable earlier, because Comcast's General Instruments DigCable box was bad at picking up signals from my Tivo for channel changes (well known fact in Tivo forums) so I moved to get a better cable box.

When word got out that my area was being turned on, I was on the phone the same day. I had planned on using my own Cable Modem (since I already had one) but was told that self-installs were not being done. I knew this to be untrue, since many in the WoW forum had done so. I went up 2-3 levels of manager, but nobody knew anything about this. I finally accepted a install date, and posted in DSLR forum about my issue. I heard back from a VP @ WoW via forums and email the next day. She was very sorry about this, and said they were doing self-installs. She arranged it so that I got an install the next day (Saturday) which was not availible when I first called, and gave me my first month free. Very good service.

Install was easy, had no problems, and he was in and out in 15 minutes.

The only issue I have ever was when I was testing out some different Router/Firewall/VPN solutions for work, I ended up not being able to get an IP address, even after modem resets. I had to call and get a tech on the line ('bout 10 minutes wait) and have the clear out the system so I could get addresses again. They allow 3 addresses, but the system seems to like to hang onto MAC addresses. Sort of a pain, if you ask me.

member for 14.6 years, 993 visits, last login: 9.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by dsk847 See Profile

• Location: Berea,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Speed, Connection, Reliability, all high, all consistant. Good value."
Bad "Have none to report after 2 months of service."
Overall "Couldn't be more pleased."

Speed package - 1500 down 300 up, 3 dynamic ips

When the install tech came on the appointed day (30 minutes early) he was in & out in aprx 45 min. He had to run another line or he would have been done sooner. The first week or two my speeds were not that great, only because that particular tech did not tweak any settings (but I won't go into that). After running tests on BroadbandReports and following the suggestions for tweaking, my connection went to its advertised speed and beyond and has been there since. I cannot make one complaint about the company. I rated tech support in the middle only because I never had to use them. I also have never had an interuption of service. At this rate I am glad I didn't get DSL for $15 per month more. Anyone in my area considering WOW I recommend it highly.

member for 11.8 years, 422 visits, last login: 8.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by jdong See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Oakland,MI
Good "Cheap, high speeds. Problems are promptly repaired."
Bad "Onboard NICS may have trouble, but they provide working ones."
Overall "Very good company, Very good service."

WOW has offered great high speed internet. It's slightly expensive (49.99) for the non-WOW cable customer. Their technical support is very friendly, and offers real advice. They are always willing to sent techs out. I ordered 1500/300, and I constantly get 1453/294. Very impressive. They issue WEBSTAR DPX100 modems, 3 IP. They use DHCP addresses that expire every 4 days, which is very nice. With 3 IP's you don't even need a router to share internet with 2 other systems... Just plug the modem and computers into a hub and go!

A while ago, my onboard NIC stopped working with WOW. It turned out that their DHCP server had some trouble. they got right on it and fixed it. Very nice service, very nice people. I can't really say much negative.

member for 12.3 years, 4377 visits, last login: 114 days ago