WOW Internet and Cable page on DSLReports

Review by PJive See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Great Downs,Up's, and Pings."
Bad "Takes forever customer service to come to house."
Overall "Great Value, if you're patient."

I love Wide Open West, I've had virtually no problems with the company since I finally purchased theif services less than 3 months ago. I will admitt however it took them long enough to get out to my house, but starting today and yesterday, I've been loosing connections all together, and on offpeak times. When I called they ran me through a number of tests, and got the problem pinned down, but are not able to get a representitive out for a week. I used to have Speakeasy DSL they were great about getting out to my house fast and prompt. It took me 13 days to get online with WOW, basically the only problem I've had is the wait for connectivity, and now this wait for repair. I suppose its worth it, considering I'm paying 44.99 a month for 1.5 down, and will soon be able to pay 59.99 a month for 3.0down....

All in all, great value.

member for 12.2 years, 21 visits, last login: 11.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by thrdgeek See Profile

• Location: Clinton Township,Macomb,MI
Good "No extra charge for modem rental!"
Bad "Sometimes speeds suffer due to over-load of customers stealing my bandwidth."
Overall "The best value for cable internet that is available in my area. Beats Comcast!!"

The tech that attempted to perform the installation was only knowledge for what he had to do (what has documented in the form of instructions). He didn't have many trouble shooting skills but was very eager to learn. Then again, I don't have a normal setup so I can't blame him. I showed him a few tips and I think he is on his way to becoming a professional high speed internet access installer.

Comments:

Review by bubbazephyr See Profile

• Location: Glen Ellyn,Du Page,IL
Good "Better price than alternatives - News service is great"
Bad "Totally unreliable speed and massive pings"
Overall "Great service for people who don't know any better"

When WOW is working - man it's a great value and a great connection. When it goes bad, they can't fix it for weeks to months. Prepare yourself for massive ping times - sometimes in the 1000ms+ range - and horrible upload speed - mine rarely exceeds 75K bits (not bytes) per second up. And I'm not the only one who is seeing this.

If you want to game, forget it. The unreliable up and down speed on top of the horrible ping times make it impossible.

I've had 7 visits from technicians to no avail. They come out to the house and do the same tests over and over, agree with me that the service is bad, and then leave.

The good stuff is they use (I think) Supernews, so binary news groups are great. The 5 gig max download is a drag, but not the worst. The price is very reasonable. The customer service folks on the phone are responsive and helpful - they can't fix a bad network but that's not their fault. They don't block ports which is cool. And they allow up to 3 free additional IPs - not bad.

Bottom line, you won't get what you paid for in terms of connection - at least not in Glen Ellyn. Those who know what a ping time is and upload speed are will be very mad. Those that don't care - will be happy as clams and never know they're getting ripped off.

Comments:

Review by Tommy231 See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Oakland,MI
Good "consistency"
Bad "mail server"
Overall "far better than Comcast!!"

Had some problems with bandwidth late last year. Been working fine for months now. There is an occasional gitch with the POP3 server. The news server seems to have dificulty remembering who I am, forcing unnecessary login and password entires.

member for 12.9 years, 270 visits, last login: 5.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by xcobita See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Oakland,MI
Good "Great Speed, Works good"
Bad "Install Issues"
Overall "Fast and fairly reliable"

I ordered the fastest package, 1500/300 and i get 1500/250. That is very acceptable. The install guy came when he was supposed to, and did ok work. Unfortunatly he did make one critical mistake and it took me all day to figure it out. He didn't bury the cable and when he closed the cable box he damaged the cable. I would fix it by removing the damaged part of wire, but the connectors I have are not very nice. It is causing signal problems but i took the cover off the box and the cable is now in a position that it works. On another note I was displeased with the destruction of the comcast line coming into the house. I wasnt clear on telling him not to, but hes lucky the modem works, cause otherwise there would have been heck to pay. Finaly, do the have basic cable at WOW, cause I got a lot of channels.

Comments:

Review by xrayme See Profile

• Location: Glen Ellyn,Du Page,IL
Good "1.1 Mb down. Responsive, polite tech support."
Bad "Inconsistent. Slow download speeds occur, even off peak"
Overall "I can recommend WOW."

I waited for 4 years for cable internet to come to my neighborhood when I moved from San Diego (where it was installed in 1997 by both Cox and Time Warner). So I was delighted when WOW announced availability. I converted from Earthlink DSL, which was completely reliable for over a year. I ordered WOW's "advanced" 1 Mb (downstream) service with the standard dynamic IP addressing. Static IP is an extra $10/month. The Hot Box bundle with WOW's TV service gives you either digital cable or HBO for an extra $5.00/month when you have both TV and broadband service. The Broadband part is $35/month before taxes as part of the Hot Box bundle, $10 more without it. Contrary to what some installers will tell you, WOW will install and support VCR Commander if you ask them. They won't mention it otherwise since some customers have trouble with it.

My cable install was straighforward. Three days later, cable modem wouldn't synch. It took two weeks to arrange appt during Mon-Fri 8-5 tech visit hours. When tech came, modem worked for 1st time in the 2 weeks! It was down again hours after he left. Same story again today, my 3rd tech visit. Tech examined my in home wiring, etc and changed out the modem. Told me signal strength was strong, didn't know what might be wrong. WOW tested the local drop and said it was fine, too. Telephone support after the 2 weeks of outage was way above average. They arranged Saturday visit, checked to see that it happened, etc.

Bottom line: 1. Fast now. This apparently is the result of a second recently provisioned DS-3, as the WOW response below describes.2. Consider keeping your old connection for at least a month until you know WOW has their stuff working. Worthwhile if, like me, your internet connection is vital to your work.

UPDATE 5/03: Off peak, > 1 Mb down. Inconsistent, though. On 5/10/03, my downlpoad speed at 9:51 p.m. was 17 K...yep, 17 K! As I write on 5/16, it's 1.4 Mb.

Comments:

Review by clmbohdsl See Profile

• Location: Reynoldsburg,Franklin,OH
Good "Rarely falls below 3mbps."
Bad "Seems to go down in my neighborhood alot."
Overall "Overall a much better deal than Roadrunner for my area. A solid $20 cheaper when bundled"

Only reason my order to success was long was because I needed to co-ordinate removal of Roadrunner and Time Warner with installation of WOW cable and internet. When the installers came, they were highly professional and extremely fast. They didn't argue with me about my non-traditional setup. (Modem's in the basement next to the gateway, server, and hubs, and shared), and they had everything up and running within about 30mins. The service seems to go down about once a week in my area, while Roadrunner never experienced an outage. Tech support is good once you fight your way to the second tier. However, first tier always spends hours arguing with me saying its my configuration, even when I give them the statistics off their own modem that tell me I can't see the cable network. For the cost though, I think its a bit of a fair trade. Overall its an excellent service, and when it works, it flies. I also ordered a static IP, which the sales person had configured and bound within 15mins. Good ISP, needs some help on tech support, although I can appreciate the 'canned' testing proceedures to a point, I find them overly tedious and tend to have gone through them all several times myself before calling. Who would want to hang on the phone that long listening to their elevator music and ads unless you had to?

member for 12.4 years, 115 visits, last login: 4.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by Gremzor See Profile

• Location: Melvindale,Wayne,MI
Good "Good Speed, Low Pings, Decent Upload."
Bad "Minor disruptions in service."
Overall "Great ISP, Beats the hell out of Comcast."

I ordered the service initially with the assumption that I would be getting 2000/500 Kbps service. These were the priliminary caps that were in place while they were having major bandwidth problems. I never did get 2000/500 but I got 1500/300 instead (Dynamic IP). This was acceptable, and at the time beat comcast's 1200/128 service(which may be improved now), although it was a static ip which was nice.

The actual install of the cable was pretty quick and I was up and running in about an hour or so (TV and Internet). The bundle rate beat comcasts price and the service is much better. In the beginning there were numerous growing pains with WOW but that has since been resolved and I enjoy constant 1500/300 speeds. The price of $39.99 which I have listed is the stand-alone internet price, the bundle price I pay is $54.99 and that includes basic cable with 1500/300 internet.

Every once and a while the connection while go out for a few minutes but it is usually late at night and they usually have the disruption posted in advance on their network status page. Over all it is stable and that is pretty much the only problem I have with the service.

Update(10-17-03): The caps are now 2000/300 which is pretty nice compared to 1500. Even though comcast's caps are at 3000/256, I can't complain because it is still cheaper than comcast.

Comments:

Review by cmatt680 See Profile

• Location: Westland,Wayne,MI
Good "internet and cable tv for a low price"
Bad "can't be pinged"
Overall "it is not the best"

I order Wide Open West for the price thinking that I will get a good service. Well I was wrong. I order 500 kbs download and 300kbs upload. I am very close to the upload speed more often then then I am to the download speed. If i want to download a lager file it take forever just like dail up. I averge about 12.4 kbs on my lager file downloads. When I download a small file it is usely around 70 to 150 kbs. Well I pay 54.94 a month for internet and cable tv. I have talk to people that have the higher speed and they say it good. To me I think that WOW is tring hard to make the higher speed work faster and better than my speed, and I know more people that have the 500 kbs then the 1.5 mbs servce. The ordering and the install went all right. The install guy could not tell me how to set up a Windows ME computer but he knew how to set up the XP computer. That tells me that they do not have very good installers. The IP is dynamic IP. Another bad thing is that you need to buy a router because they only allows you to have 3 IP adresses. I upgraded to 1500 kbps about 3 months ago and the service is alot better then it was when I had 500 kbps. Well a nother good thing. They just updated not long ago and made the 1.5 Mbps to 2 Mbps which is good. that all at this time.

Comments:

Review by Mikeypoo02 See Profile

• Location: Oak Forest,Cook,IL
Good "Faster than advertised"
Bad "Tech support = not too smart"
Overall "Get it if you can"

I subscribed to Wide Open West cable last August, ordering the fastest package (1500/300). At first, there were frequent, annoying outages, but since September they've really cleaned up their act. Usually, there's only one major outage in the area per month, at the very most.

I only pay $35 a month because I subscribe to HBO. They call it the "Hotbox Package" or something like that.

The order was extremely easy to place, but the tech support guys aren't that great. They install cable TV for a living, so they don't have much computer experience. And if you call them with any type of connectivity problem, they'll immediately blame it on your router if you have one.

I have a "dynamic" IP, but it hasn't ever changed. Mail servers are rarely down. Usually, I pull 1800 down as opposed to the advertised 1500 down.

All in all, WOW is a good deal, just don't expect them to fix any problems you may have.