WOW Internet and Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Gremzor See Profile

• Location: Melvindale,Wayne,MI
Good "Good Speed, Low Pings, Decent Upload."
Bad "Minor disruptions in service."
Overall "Great ISP, Beats the hell out of Comcast."

I ordered the service initially with the assumption that I would be getting 2000/500 Kbps service. These were the priliminary caps that were in place while they were having major bandwidth problems. I never did get 2000/500 but I got 1500/300 instead (Dynamic IP). This was acceptable, and at the time beat comcast's 1200/128 service(which may be improved now), although it was a static ip which was nice.

The actual install of the cable was pretty quick and I was up and running in about an hour or so (TV and Internet). The bundle rate beat comcasts price and the service is much better. In the beginning there were numerous growing pains with WOW but that has since been resolved and I enjoy constant 1500/300 speeds. The price of $39.99 which I have listed is the stand-alone internet price, the bundle price I pay is $54.99 and that includes basic cable with 1500/300 internet.

Every once and a while the connection while go out for a few minutes but it is usually late at night and they usually have the disruption posted in advance on their network status page. Over all it is stable and that is pretty much the only problem I have with the service.

Update(10-17-03): The caps are now 2000/300 which is pretty nice compared to 1500. Even though comcast's caps are at 3000/256, I can't complain because it is still cheaper than comcast.

member for 13.5 years, 1386 visits, last login: 120 days ago

Comments:

Review by cmatt680 See Profile

• Location: Westland,Wayne,MI
Good "internet and cable tv for a low price"
Bad "can't be pinged"
Overall "it is not the best"

I order Wide Open West for the price thinking that I will get a good service. Well I was wrong. I order 500 kbs download and 300kbs upload. I am very close to the upload speed more often then then I am to the download speed. If i want to download a lager file it take forever just like dail up. I averge about 12.4 kbs on my lager file downloads. When I download a small file it is usely around 70 to 150 kbs. Well I pay 54.94 a month for internet and cable tv. I have talk to people that have the higher speed and they say it good. To me I think that WOW is tring hard to make the higher speed work faster and better than my speed, and I know more people that have the 500 kbs then the 1.5 mbs servce. The ordering and the install went all right. The install guy could not tell me how to set up a Windows ME computer but he knew how to set up the XP computer. That tells me that they do not have very good installers. The IP is dynamic IP. Another bad thing is that you need to buy a router because they only allows you to have 3 IP adresses. I upgraded to 1500 kbps about 3 months ago and the service is alot better then it was when I had 500 kbps. Well a nother good thing. They just updated not long ago and made the 1.5 Mbps to 2 Mbps which is good. that all at this time.

Comments:

Review by Mikeypoo02 See Profile

• Location: Oak Forest,Cook,IL
Good "Faster than advertised"
Bad "Tech support = not too smart"
Overall "Get it if you can"

I subscribed to Wide Open West cable last August, ordering the fastest package (1500/300). At first, there were frequent, annoying outages, but since September they've really cleaned up their act. Usually, there's only one major outage in the area per month, at the very most.

I only pay $35 a month because I subscribe to HBO. They call it the "Hotbox Package" or something like that.

The order was extremely easy to place, but the tech support guys aren't that great. They install cable TV for a living, so they don't have much computer experience. And if you call them with any type of connectivity problem, they'll immediately blame it on your router if you have one.

I have a "dynamic" IP, but it hasn't ever changed. Mail servers are rarely down. Usually, I pull 1800 down as opposed to the advertised 1500 down.

All in all, WOW is a good deal, just don't expect them to fix any problems you may have.

member for 13.1 years, 28 visits, last login: 10.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by Gaffle See Profile

• Location: Garden City,Wayne,MI
Good "Faster upload than Comcast, and cheaper in price."
Bad "Only few moments of a line being down for service."
Overall "All good!"

Finally ditched Comcast and went with Wideopenwest. Digital cable owns Comcasts, especially with that way nifty guide menu. Cable download is at same level as Comcasts was, but the upload is about 200k faster. Services were quick and painless, installation was fast and they came when they said they would. Might I add that the prices are about $20 cheaper for me with more additions. Go Wideopenwest Go!

Comments:

Review by Riggs6 See Profile

• Location: Taylor,Wayne,MI
Good "Great speed and service"
Bad "Just a few connection glitches every now and then"
Overall "One of the best cable modem ISPs there is"

Connections' reliable, speeds are awesome and tech support is some of thee best, what else is there to say.

Comments:

Review by Dragonkind1 See Profile

• Location: Westerville,Franklin,OH
Good "Great pre-sales service, short wait for install, friendly people"
Overall "Good value, great speed, excellent service"

When I called and ordered the 1.5M/384k speed, my appointment for install was set for two days later! The installer was on time, despite horrible weather and bad road conditions, and was efficient, helpful, and curteous while installing. Once he had me up and running, I immediately got online and ran speed tests at several different sites. Imagine my surprise when my speed was half of what I was getting with adsl 768/128! I called tech support, and after being on hold for 45 minutes, was told that the support person had no idea why I was running slow - the suggestion was to wait a while and see if it cleared up. now, 10 hours later, my speed is 177 down, 288 up! obviously not clearing up! As I write this, I am on hold yet again for tech support (25 minutes so far). I am completely disappointed, as I expected to see some increase in speeds, not the drastic speed reduction I am now seeing! The company has only been servicing my area for 3 months, so I know it is not an issue of too many users eating up bandwidth... so far, a very disappointing experience.. I will post an updated review should conditions improve.

2/16/03 - I called tech support last night and after what seemed like forever on hold, I was helped by a very knowledgeable person... it seems that I wasn't in their system yet. She entered me into their system, and now I am getting the speeds that I was supposed to. Kudos to the nameless person at tech suport.. I am very happy with my service! Great value!

3/1/03 - Now this is the speed I was looking for! (1.4Mb Down, 289 up) I must say, other than the bumpy start (my slow speed the first few days) This service rocks! I recommend it to everyone!

8/10/04 - Now I have gone to the ultra package (4MB d/l, 500k up) and though a bit more pricey than my other package, still cheaper than any other broadband provider in the area! Well worth it!

member for 13.2 years, 107 visits, last login: 1.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by tcpip_rat See Profile

• Location: Clinton Township,Macomb,MI
Good "Great cable and internet value bundle!"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Speeds are excellt most of the time"

I was a former Comcast cumstomer plauged with slow sppeds, high prices and non-existant customer support. When WOW was made available in my I area I decieded to give them a try. I was amazed how quickly they came out to install everything and I was up and running in no time, it was a seemless transition. The speeds are great, I constantly get speeds of 1500+/300. Best of all my bill is $20 less a month. I would recommend giving them a try if they are available in your area.

member for 12.6 years, 864 visits, last login: 4.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by SirCaleb See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "1.5MB connection for $39.99 is cheap"
Bad "On AT&T's backbone (horrible)"
Overall "Unstable"

If you want awesome bandwidth at 3am, this is the ISP for you. If you play games online or rely on a low-latency connection, look elsewhere. They use AT&T as their backbone provider and it's absolutely horrible from 7pm - 1am on weeknights.

Getting a 1.5MB downstream connection for only $39.99 isn't bad -- if you can live with frequent outages and poor latency.

member for 13.1 years, 54 visits, last login: 11.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by mzkhadir See Profile

• Location: Arlington Heights,Cook,IL
Good "Great Speeds, Price"
Bad "Constant Port Scan Attacks from other users"
Overall "Good for what you pay for."

I had no problems during install, I am happy with service, When I called to install it was a simple process. Nothing went wrong, cancelling ELink next month because my contact is OVER.

Comments:

Review by Imlost0 See Profile

• Location: Cleveland,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Great service fast speed, great installer. Good people. Nice Pre-Sales"
Bad "I wish I couldve had it earlier."
Overall "If its avil, you NEED to get it."

I ordered the 1500/300 advanced package at 39.99 a month. The order process was great the lady I talked to was very nice. I got a free use of a modem, which is good. my other company didnt offer us free anything . 3 static IP's I hear are also a good thing, I have yet to set all of them up. I havent checked the mail server or news yet, seeing that I use the newspaper to get news, Im assuming it was all good. Realible service on my end. No problems yet.

When the man showed up, i was just waking up, that shows how early they come. I was the first on the list. He went straight on asking how we wanted it setup. Afterwards he went out, got the cable going and had it up and ready quickly. After coming in. he setup the computers, but we had some problems. come to see that we had the router all mixed up. I put it back to the way it was before i got the new service and it worked great. Speeds are very fast I am pleased. Monthly charge is also good. I recommend this to all In Cleveland area who their service is avil. I havent got a disconnection yet or have had an probs as of 2-10-03. Get the service now, and lock in your rates til Jan 2004 is all I have to say.

member for 12.4 years, 36 visits, last login: 11.4 years ago