WOW Internet and Cable page on DSLReports

Review by syslock See Profile

• Location: La La Land
Good "All the CSR's have been great to speak with. "
Bad "High packet loss and very slow speeds. Outages in my area every 2 weeks or so since signing up. Installers were jerks."
Overall "Physical plant needs some major work/rebuilt in this small town."

Moved to an area not serviced by the big players in the cable arena.
My choices for Internet are DSL, WISP, and WOW.
Now talking with some of the other players in my area as WOW is failing
big time. I am subscribed to the 15mb package and I'm lucky I can get 2/4mb down.

Every 2 weeks or any time it rains, there is an outage in my area.
Every time I need to get something done on-line the service is down.

I know my other options will be slower to connect, but if their down time
is better, I'm going to have to switch as the constant outages in my area
are a joke.

I'm not going to continue to pay for services that are not available
every time I need to use them.

Comments:

Dwddoc

@sbcglobal.net

Failure with service

Having been a wow customer for over 12 years and overall been quite satisfied with the service until NOW. The service has gone downhill since Abdullah took over the Michigan region. I'm leaving them do to costs(retiring) but I want to keep my phone numbers. The frustration has gone on now for 6 weeks with one lie after another between them and the new carrier(I'm also not satisfied with them for the same reasons---the lies). I am only trying to port two business numbers to less expensive options, one to ringcentral(a fax) and the other I'll be porting to a cell once the nightmare ends. The organization in the wow business department is disgusting, you make a call, get lied to and of course when you call back angry you get another person that knows nothing about the previous lies. If I ran my business that way I'd have gone out of business long ago.

Review by emmjayell See Profile

• Location: Westerville,Franklin,OH
Good "I've been pleased with the service and most of the on site techs."
Bad "Tivo support and troubleshooting aren't as good as they could be."
Overall "Meh. All in all, things are good when it's up and running well, which is most of the time."

I've been a customer of WOW for over a decade now. I've lived through upgrades, and outages. Seems like every 3 years or so, something happens that causes intermittent service issues and poor performance. Ultimately they end up doing something between the pole and my house.

I find it a little absurd that they can't diagnose connection problems remotely. If the standard cable-modem can't diagnose problems, then ship me a sensor to put on one side or the other to detect intermittent issues and dropped packets.

That said, once persevering through the initial troubleshooting, they usually send someone out to the house that knows what they are doing to get things fixed.

Comments:

Review by DJVan See Profile

• Location: USA
Bad "Horrible Customer Service and promises that were lies"

When then Sunflower (then Knology, now WOW) placed their buried cable along our road a few years ago, all our neighbors were promised free installation and access to all the wonderful technology shortly. We were told the service representatives would be coming to our homes to get us all connected very soon.

We have waited, and waited, and continue to wait.

A few months ago, one of our neighbors was actually successful in getting connected, after many telephone calls and frustration with WOW telling them they did not have cable in our area.

I attempted to get service setup.
Day One: went through discussions with the sales rep on the phone, finally getting validation that yes they could definitely install the services at my home. Scheduled an appointment the following day.
Day Two: No show. I called and was told that service rep was no longer with the company and another service rep would come out.
Day Three: The service rep showed up, signed me up for all the services (premium on the entire bundle) and said their installers would need to come out to review the install.
Day Six: No show still, so I called and was told someone would be out within the next two days.
Day Eight: Two installers showed up and said they would be measuring.
Day Eleven: Received a call from the sales rep informing me that it was not cost effective for them to install because of the distance between the road and my house. However, he suggested that if I could get enough neighbors in my area signed up, then maybe they would see the benefit of installing mine. Perhaps this is their new marketing strategy?

I did write to the President of WOW almost a month ago - still no response.

How sad that in this economy customer service isn't a top priority for a company like WOW. More important, our community has been lied to directly and led to believe we would be receiving such fantastic benefits by now being served by WOW. Apparently, they do not understand that a single bad review (shared with neighbors and anyone else that will listen) is more significant than a few happy customers.

WOW is the correct name for this company - but not in the way they intended. WOW - can they get any worse?

Comments:

Review by joebob2000 See Profile

• Location: Hilliard,Franklin,OH
Good "Low cost and easy to deal with"
Bad "Low quality equipment"
Overall "Good service if you don't mind the glitches"

Coming from AT&T U-verse, WOW was a lot cheaper (same channel lineup/boxes and internet speed is about 50% the price) but immediately the "freshness" of the technology was apparent. The set top boxes are really sad (low def guide, slow interface, huge in size) but the channels tune well via Clear QAM on the TV so the set top box is only needed if you want to DVR or PPV (or if you want to punish yourself with using the guide). On the internet side, the install went OK after the tech "fiddled" with it for an hour (speed was OK so he called it a win), but within a few days the internet slowed to a crawl. We had to have a tech revisit and replace the cable modem (after about 2 weeks in use) and the "new" one worked great. Hopefully it lasts longer than the first.

The use of old, refurb boxes (and just plain old technology) is kind of frustrating, but given that the price is so low it is worth it (for now). If money were no object, U-Verse or Time Warner (both available in this area) would be a much better choice.

Comments:

Review by DJ See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Muscogee,GA
Good "Service stays on, albeit slow during peak times"
Bad "Terrible hold times for tech support, aka, tech support for former Knology customers"
Overall "I'll be moving soon to an area not serviced by WOW/Knology, won't look back."

·Knology
Below is what's copied from my last review of Knology, now WOW. For years I kept a highly positive review of Knology's services. This is the first negative review I've had to post. Tried to wait for them to work out the growing pains, but enough is enough.

Our phone stopped working Friday evening 9/20. We still have the old outside voice terminal, so troubleshooting is a snap... Just plug in a corded phone to the test jack tells me everything. No dial tone at the test jack. I tried calling tech support Sunday morning. After 35 minutes on hold on my company cell phone, I hung up. I tried again Sunday evening, same thing. I've got better things to do than sit around a phone praying for someone to pick up. I tried yet again Monday morning while at work, where I work outside and can keep the phone in my shirt pocket on speaker. It took 45 MINUTES for someone to pick up, which is absolutely ridiculous. In the past, when it was Knology, we never had to call support for phone issues because they monitored the terminals remotely for issues, and automatically dispatched a tech when something was detected. That's why I waited until Sunday to call, thinking they would've sent someone. We've had techs visit our home unexpectedly on Sundays to troubleshoot the terminal, so I figured they'd do the same. WRONG. Different company, different operations, I guess.

As far as the internet, prior to the announcement WOW was buying Knology, internet speeds were rock solid all hours, all days of the week. Not long after the announcement, speeds slowly started to decline. Now, peak times and weekends I never dare run a test. When I do, it's in the 3-5 Mbps range. I'm on the 15/2 plan. The speed, or lack thereof, is noticeable during any sustained download. I will not call in to tech support for this since the internet still works, just not as snappy as I remember it used to be.

Now for tech support. The few times I ever had to call Knology tech support, a rep was on the phone after the first ring, every single time. Now, as mentioned above, an undetermined amount of time, which means an exhaustive wait. I tried calling the "other" number for WOW, which is for the native WOW territories in the MW. Guess what, one ring and a rep was on the phone, on Sunday evening. When I gave her my information, she apologized and said she couldn't help me because I was in the newly acquired Knology territory, and gave me the 877-KNOLOGY number to call. That's the same number I tried calling already with the endless "We're changing the way you think about cable companies" loop. Nauseating.

Well, my family is set to be moving to a new town soon, in the pursuit of a bigger home with lower cost of living. We've found a great place in a small town about an hour away, which is serviced by another mid-sized cable company with DOCSIS 3.0. I've already checked for QoS in the area and it's a LOT better than what Columbus gets with WOW. Looking forward to the change.

member for 13.2 years, 5885 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by cwcjr See Profile

• Location: Huntsville,Madison,AL
Good "Better than dial-up -except during prime time!"
Bad "Poor services, deceptive marketing, unreliable service, overpriced"
Overall "Avoid if you have other options."

·Knology
Update Sept 2013: Now they have added actual false/deceptive advertising to the mix. With the Speed channel going to FS1, they sometimes put or temporarily move programs to FS2 - in HSV market 194. I called when a football game ran long and the race was moved to FS2 - but I had a not authorized screen. Sales said it should be active with the Digital Preferred. So he transfers me to Cable Support, and I get told 'nope it only comes with the sports package add-on'. He tells me to go to the Website to see what comes with Digital Preferred - guess what - the Website says it is included in the Digital Preferred without the Sports Package. However, he will not activate it unless I pay for the Sports Package! Sales says its included, The website says its included, but the tech says you gotta pay for the sports package: False/Mis-leading/Deceptive advertising!

Prices keep going up as well as the wait time to get someone from Customer Service to answer the phone.

The service is getting worse, outages seem to occur at least once a week (last week 4 times over 2 days).

We keep getting Emergency Broadcast message for Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas that that have nothing to do with Huntsville.

A company in seeming disarray.

By the way, the internet speed is still horrible. Captured history charts (forwarded to Techs) show download speeds worse than upload speeds on weeknights between 8 and 11 pm. Been going on for many weeks.

Update Aug 2013: WOW data rates are WORSE than dialup between 8 pm and Midnight, even when paying for premium data rate upgrades. Nothing but excuses and no fixes for the last 90 days.

Update July 2013: WOW has taken over Knology and the service is TERRIBLE. They have oversold their capability in the area and the nightly data rates for download are 1/2 the upload rate!!!! Paying for the upgraded 15 Mb and getting 0.6 Mb (yes that is Mb not MB) download between 5 pm and midnight. It is now Way (WOW) overpriced and using their Email via a Client is a joke. It will lockup Outlook and financial institutions cannot reliably communicate with their investors that use a Knology Email address. Synacor and Cloudmark (their Email and spam filtering services) cannot seem to get it straight.

--------

I originally (2007) had the all in one (Phone,Internet, Cable) -premium w/ HD and all major movie channels. Had to cut back to delete ALL the premium movie channels to get it down to $137. At the time I contracted it, it came with the fasted speeds they offered for internet. They have now upgraded to have some more costly premium speeds available and multiple tier options in the bundles. Trying to figure out what options you have (pick and choose) is not possible from the information on the Internet. You MUST call in to get pricing on individual services.

The greatest frustration is the decrease in reliability as they expand. An example is this weekend, all Knology (hosted) domains' Email is down for over 24 hours. Sure does NOT make you want to run right out and sign-up for Electronic Delivery of your financial and investment notifications using a Knology hosted email account.

Since their last major reshuffling of the channels and upgrades, digital dropouts and artifacts in the middle of the TV screen are becoming the norm. Some shows are so broken up that you cannot watch them and it does not matter if it is live or recorded.

When you have an internet speed problem and call in, you get the impression that they are 'throttling' people until they complain. All the resetting, unplugging, and testing I had done before calling, then magically doing it once with them on the line and the problem seems to go away - for a while...

And the classic deception, your Knology IP address to the internet is NOT truly DHCP: it seems that it is reserved unto your address so that advertisers, doubleclick, Google, Intellus, etc., (Police and Homeland Defense) can always find YOU. As a test, I released the Knology internet link from the router, unplugged the router, unplugged the modem, Shutdown all the computers, went on the road, and came back two weeks later to the same IP address. Knology refreshes the connection ever three hours in a growing subdivision, so I guess the assignment is not DYNAMIC.

WOW Deceptive Marketing, bad service

WOW recently took over Knology. The service is very poor and declining.

1) Data rates between 8 pm and midnight are less than 1 mbit that is bit not byte! for Download. Even if you are paying for their 25 Mb Edge service. Folks that is WORSE than dial-up. Been fighting this problem for over 120 days.

2) Cloudmark filtering for Synacor, their Email handler, has a perpetual problem with Epsilon internet services. e.g, if your financial services company distributes documents to you via a knology email address - you don't get them!! They do not even make it to your spam filter to find out that anything was sent to you. Been over 8 months fighting that problem.

3) Paying for upgraded data rates is functionally just paying for a higher throttling speed-limit WHEN THERE IS NO TRAFFIC. They sell it to you as being like an HOV lane during peak demand times, but that is deceptive, see item 1).

4) Digital dropouts on the cable service are horrendous. Attempting to record shows has been a waste on many nights because the shows continually freeze. Yes, the service and equipment at the house has been checked! The techs (several) have confirmed that they oversold the area and have too many houses on a single server. They have been deceptful about it 'should be fixed in a couple weeks' for 4 months.

PS: The difference in cost between the knology and subsequent WOW reviews is that I DROPPED all premium movie channels. Otherwise the cost would have risen about $30 for the same services.....

Comments:

bhattnet

@bellsouth.net

Are you New to WOW

How long have you had WOW?

Re: Are you New to WOW

I have had WOW, formerly known as Knology, for many years at more than one location. Over 5 at the current.

Yuck

I'm having the same problem although not that extreme. I went from 25Mbps EDGE package and i'm only getting around 15Mbps/8Mbps at anytime of day or night. Ever since WOW has taken over it has been a bad experience with internet speed.

·WOW Internet and..

3 edits

Re: Yuck

Use a speedtest OTHER than the WOW one between 9 pm and 11 pm and see what you get. It is worst on the west side of county.

Noting that according to one of the techs that serviced next door they connected in a new subdivision on already overloaded equipment about the time WOW took over. The City Councils (both) need to be made aware of that and the utility license needs to be reviewed on that one!

Re: Yuck

WOW will only take speed tests from their speed test site. Anything else they will not look at.

Also just an FYI- WOW is NOT a utility; especially when it comes to internet.

Re: Yuck

To be able to supply cable in the city requires Council licensing and authorization to use easements.
(They have been 'pulled' before!

Re: Yuck

it maybe true in that City but things can be changed at the state level. Although still, cable and Internet are not a utility. Also they are never "pulled" the companies are told to fix the issues or sell. It's easier to sell.

I normally use www.speedtest.net
I can try others. Is there anyone from WOW that actually checks dslreports? I call in to the WOW helpdesk and all they can tell me is that my cable modem had good signal and that they can send someone out if i'd like. I too checked my cable modem signals and all are well within recommended range. CWCJR, would you like to compare speed results? We could even arrange to get online at the same time and test speed at the same time. I live in NorthWest Huntsville near Oakwood Ave. I'm going to try and post a speedtest.net result when I get home from work today.

·MegaPath

Re: Yuck

WOWDan does, he used to provide support here but was promoted shortly afterwords. But WOW will only take the speedtest on their site as the bandwidth as written in their TOS/AUP is only on their network, after that, they don't and won't do anything.

Re: Yuck

Thanks, Kyle. I guess once false advertising and/or deceptive practices is proven with cable/internet companies it is off to the BBB then to the DA, then court or a class action...

Huntsville, AL
Looks like my speed is back to "normal" which is around 25Mb/6-8Mb, I will continue to test.

Re: Yuck

Great! I should be able to check the west side of the county by Friday. Maybe it only took 16 'next' weeks to get it fixed. but I am not holding my breath.

·WOW Internet and..

Re: Yuck

UPDATE: No, the speed on the west side is still terrible during prime time during the week. Download speeds worse than upload speeds. They added a 'hard' case of false/misleading/deceptive advertising - Sales and the website (on 9/28) say FS2 is included with Digital Preferred but Cable Tech support will only activate for additional $$$$.

Review by dpad22 See Profile

• Location: Madison,Madison,AL
Good "Hardly any outages"
Bad "Price going up every month, b.S. fake customer satisfaction, money grubbing management"
Overall "I would say avoid if it is your ONLY option, but most of the times the other options might even be worse :("

I used to have Knology as an ISP. Honestly they were great. Great pricing and mostly very reliable service. Speeds were good, and most of the time we even got HIGHER than advertised speeds. Just think about that for a second. Modern day, actually receiving higher than advertised, and paid for, speeds. Excellent. Enter 2013: Knology has been bought out by WOW!, they claim they are all about customer service, etc. Literally everything about them has been progressively getting worse and worse. First the internet speeds went back down to exactly throttled as advertised, and okay , I told myself "I can deal with it, fine." Then the bill started going up something like $10-20/month for a few months, almost as if they try to test you to see how far they can get away with before you call them. My dad ended up calling them up and getting them to lower us back down but apparently they "no longer offered our same package" or some garbage excuse. The only thing we could do is lower our 15mbps internet to 3mbps internet and keep everything else the same. He agreed. Keep in mind in Kansas City, Google actually provides anyone within service area FREE 6mbps internet. So, we dealt with 5times+ slower internet than we were used to, and now just the other day I find out that the majority of my digital channels are now gone. This company is a joke. I see their commercials and cringe. The worst part is I am absolutely screwed because my only other option for an ISP is AT&T which is on par if not even worse than WOW! or some ridiculously crappy and overpriced, slow, and data capped, satellite internet. Next time I am looking to move, I am going to be paying extremely close attention to what tv and internet providers are in the area before I move, and will literally base my decision on whether or not I will move there on that.

You know a company is shady when their own website won't even have any prices listed, and all they have is "call us".

You have been warned.

Comments:

Review by an3951 See Profile

• Location: Brook Park,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Fast Install, Fast Speed 15k/1k"
Bad "Works great as long as nothing serious goes wrong"
Overall "WOW Has there issues but they really do try to fix the problems."

I have been a WOW customer for many years and for the most part there have been no major issues. In Mid February 2013 I began to experience large packet loss on weekdays beginning in the early evening lasting through midnight. Weekend interruptions can happen at any time of the day or night. This problem has been ongoing just under a month with no less than a dozen calls to WOW. As of this writing I have had five home visits. In the beginning they noticed that I had my own modem and immediately blamed it. I had two other modems, including a Motorola Surf modem that I installed but the packet loss continued. Finally I told them to put their modem in so we could end the blame game. Of course their modem has not corrected any of the ongoing problems.

03/30/13 - After a month and a half whatever was causing the problem it seems to have corrected itself. WOW finally agreed to have a service tech come out and hookup to my line and watch it during the evening hours but before that day the issue resolved itself. I am hoping I can go back to the many years of trouble free service and so far, so good.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:
TBBroadband

Kirk

You need to contact Kirk who is the VP of the Cleveland System.

GlenEllyn

@wideopenwest.com

Similar Issue occurred for me...

... last December. Flakey daily internet service for 4-5 weeks. I rent their modem. I have phone service. Techs can check cable signal strength. If the is o.k. then most WoW techs are useless. In my decade of being with WoW, I found only one tech who was technically astute and customer service originated who actually diagnosed and fixed a problem. My problem eventually went away. I conjecture WoW network upgrades, load balance, etc. were taking place but no support personnel would even acknowledge that to be a possibility.

Review by anovelo See Profile

• Location: Panama City Beach,Bay,FL
Good "Honestly - NOTHING!!!!"
Bad "Everything. Price is ridiculous for what you get. There is zero info online or at the local office. Quality doesn't exist "
Overall "If you are moving to an area and you are told WOW! is a choice, ask if you can get anything else. "

For starters, go online and try to figure out what the channel line is and how much the cost of the packages are. If you look in some states it may show some info (and if it does its confusing), but for the most part the website just says "call us for info". I went to the local office, and they said they had nothing in writing about the WOW offerings. The office could only print out what was on their screen, and that was no help at all....

Then you have the quality. I will pay top dollar if I feel like I'm getting quality, but thats not WOW!. The channel line up is limited and broken up in strange ways (again, they may have simple packages but I'm yet to find any documentation to know). The channels dont always come in. The cost of the motorola cable boxes is expensive (15 per box / month)....

The internet service is a joke, constantly losing packets. paying for the 12 MB package (which is 49.99) was told I could go to 15 MB for an extra $10 a month. Really.... As someone who used to have FIOS and UVerse , WOW! is half the service and speed for the same costs....

Honestly if you have a choice take anyone (including Comcast) over WOW! and if you are told WOW! is your only choice (if you are moving to an apartment building) then I would consider a different apartment.

member for 1 year, 0 visits, last login: 1 year ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

bltzriddler7

@mycingular.net

dish or wow cable?

I have been trying to decide on which cable provider to get to have cable. I have contacted dish and had technician come to apartment to install, but apt. Manager said I have to give them $250.00 deposit. And I contacted WOW on price of package but thsir prices are high and doesn't include any special offers like even HBO. I just want regular cable with channels like USA tnt lifetime and spike, but price for dish package iz cheaper. So any help or suggestions on which to decide? And as far as who's better between wow and dish? Also should I pay $250 for satellite and give to manager (which is refundable deposit) or just get WOW service and just pay more a month? Please help me.. TY. Hope to hear from someone.

Review by bkxwilliams See Profile

• Location: Arlington Heights,Cook,IL
Good "Very pleased with quality of service"
Bad "limited free on-demand selections"
Overall "Significantly cheaper than Comcast for same stations"

Dumped Comcast after 12 years when became too expensive and they refused to extend me any promotions. WOW was best price for nearly same stations. Purchased the Ultra Gateway because of ability to record 6 channels at a time. Have had no issues with service or picture quality. Got cable, internet and phone; for some reason they had to install the Gateway box in basement. The internet connection was a little weak; however I resolved that with a repeater. Customer service was great with ordering, installation 3 days later on time with no problems. Originally signed up for 2 mpbs internet speed and later changed with one phone call to 15 mpbs.

member for 1 year, 0 visits, last login: 1 year ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:
vincep5

join:2005-04-07
Mount Prospect, IL

same

same situation with me. Comcast didnt want to extend my original promotion. They didnt even bother to offer me a discount or downgrade my cable package to save money. Their loss!