WOW Internet and Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Oosie65 See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Bad "Just plain awful and unreliable"

WOW is absolutely not worth your time or money. In fact their services/products were getting worse even after they jacked up everyone's monthly bill to cover the "upgrades" WOW happily informed their clientele. The internet was still slow, the pixilation and picture freezing issues with the TV had not improved. The technicians either did not show up on the scheduled date or showed up 3 hours early while you are still at work. After several incoveniencing calls to repair my problems by "sending a signal" to my digital box over a period of 9 months from moving into my new residence, my home had to be rewired after installation for the second time but the pixilation and picture freezing of the cable service was not resolved. I also received a "new" digital box during this time period. I cancelled my service earlier this month to switch to another company - found out that WOW STILL deducted the full months payment out of my bank account when I should only have paid for a few days' service. After speaking to two "representatives" I was told a refund check will be mailed to me - they cannot deduct my account electronically. The gentleman proceeded to state it was my bank's fault for not informing me of the proposed deduction - I explained that banks do not receive a proposed AUTOPAY transmittal until the day of the deducted fee. This same rep could not tell me when my refund check would be cut and mailed out so who knows how soon I will get that. They are quick to deduct your bank account but I have to wait for a refund check??? Ridiculous and totally unacceptable. If a company has EDI authorization to deduct from individuals' bank accounts, they can electronically credit the account as well. They just choose not to do so. I also was unable to access my account online to remove the autopay option even though I called 3 times to have this issue resolved, to which was not. I also received an additional bill on TOP of this automated full month's payment for a partial month's services. Technically I was being charged for an additional month's service AFTER the disconnect date.

After a period of 4 years of continuing service which was getting worse over time, I finally decided to switch companies. Now I'm stuck with a full month's payment to WOW to which I should not have paid AND a two month's payment to the new cable company all in the same paycheck in which my mortgage, insurance and condo fees are also needed to be paid. What is also interesting - when I called to order WOW service to be disconnected - there were no questions asked as to why I decided to cancel my services with them. Could it be so many people are cancelling their services with WOW they gave up inquiring the reasons?

Customer service wait time during the week in the evenings on average was 20 minutes. I heard the spiel during my wait time that "it is best to call between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm". If you're at work and need to be near your TV and/or internet in the hopes your issues will be resolved, this is not possible. We have to work in order to pay the WOW bill. Do companies get this?

Did anyone else attempt to contact WOW during the "upgrading service" only to listen to the CEO's apology message about the service, and then the call was disconnected? I could not connect to an actual representative for weeks. I couldn't receive a credit for outages since I did "not call to report the issue". If no one would answer the phone, how could they have known of the outage issues?

Customer Service representatives for WOW are generally in the same category as Verizon Wireless. Although WOW reps are not as degrading and condescending as Verizon reps. Just clueless.

Comments:

Review by mrvelous01 See Profile

• Location: Ferndale,Oakland,MI
Good "excellent consistent internet speed"
Bad "do not offer 105mb download package yet"
Overall "Excellent customer service, willing to negotiate price/packages"

I have been with WOW for 8 years. Previously Comcrap then ATT DSL/Dish. Any time I have issues (rare) WOW is quick to respond. They typically leapfrog Comcrap in this area for internet speed advancements though they're behind right now. Got a good explanation from WOW the other day that Comcrap speeds are not guaranteed and that they (Comcrap) have no local limits to the number of connections per "node" so performance can suffer. I attempted to switch to Comcrap last week but found out at the last minute that they LIED about the package they sold me, neglected to tell me about all the promotional pricing that was good only for 6 months, then tried to basically bribe me into continuing the install. I did not. I'm glad I didn't switch. WOW is consistent and friendly and willing to adjust pricing. See my review in forums for details.

Comments:

Stell

@wideopenwest.com

Terrible

Worst cable ever. They raise the price and the service continues to get worse. Picture keeps skipping and you catch every other word on the sound. If you have a choice make sure this isn't one of them
thedark3rd

join:2013-07-04
Augusta, GA

Augusta Knology changed over to WOW - not happy :-(

Used to be able to contact Knology in Augusta to manage my internet service 24/7, without hiccup or problem in getting services modified, changed. Wanted to provision my router as my gateway to the ISP, and find out why my usenet access wasn't working.
Found out usenet service has been dropped due to a lack of use (by who?) and the people who handle reprovisioning the modem device are not available...

Not happy, and really considering changing service for the first time in 12 years. So long Knology - I will so miss you.

Review by va176thunder See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "Fast low-latency Internet, Tivo friendly"
Bad "Phone is a little pricey"
Overall "Good value for the money"

Switch my cable TV from TWC because I have multiple Tivo's and TWC sets the Do Not Copy flag on everything. Added my home phone and now 30/5 Business Class Internet. No issues with phone - it just works. Internet is very fast and lower latency than my TWC Business Class cable modem is.

I work from home and have to have reliable Internet. I found the WoW connection to be a better value for the bandwidth than TWC was. I'm very happy

Comments:

Review by ParisAsta See Profile

• Location: Panama City,Bay,FL
Good "It is cable and Internet."
Bad "Slow Speeds, High Cost, and Customer Service has taken a dive."
Overall "If you can get something else, please do so."

I have had Knology and then WOW! for well over 3 years. It might be longer than that I really am not sure. I do know one thing, MY GOD the internet speeds have decreased. I do not know what they have done, but they now stink. I used to be able to view a webpage without it timing out, now that happens all to often. It takes forever for sites like imgur to load, they are pictures people. I get that .gifs tend to take forever to load. Then there is the cable, not sure what happened to it, but according to my sisters kids, it kinda stinks. The way that the set-top boxes are set-up for ondeamnd drives me crazy. I went to go order a movie and I got confused on just how may different on-demand channels there was. I have used other companies before and most at least put them all under one channel (or at least they used to). I gave up and went to redbox and rented it there. Don't even get me started on the cost increase of my bill.

Comments:

Review by Rodney.Armstrong

• Location: Grove City,Franklin,OH

WOW has the worst customer service of any cable and internet provider.
The cable and internet is less than average. Their billing is horrible!
They double billed me late last year without me knowing it. This week I
received a phone call from a debt collector stating I owed them $250! I
said "they are my provider and I am looking at the last bill which was
due a few weeks ago and I paid it on time and owe them nothing". They
said that isn't what their records show. I told them I would call WOW.

I called WOW and they said they have where we disconnected service in
February and a past due bill we never paid. I said, first I don't owe
you anything but, let's say I did... why wouldn't you cut off my service
until I paid if that is the case? She said they couldn't reach me. I
reminded them that we have service with them currently. I explained we
have had service with them for years. I reminded them that they sent out
noticed apologizing in January and February for incorrect invoicing.

After speaking to 3 people (escalating each time) they finally
determined that it would be good to reduce the $250 to $200 and call it
a deal. NOT! I have all my bills and will not pay them another cent. I
have now cancelled my service with WOW and will make it my mission to
make sure as many knows about this as possible. They have lost one
customer and a customer that will work really hard to ensure they lose
more or at least the opportunity at some for $200. It isn't the fact
that I can't pay it, because I waste more than that in a weekend of
eating out (family of 5) but it is just the principle of the matter.

In close, BEWARE of WOW! Don't go with them. Unfortunately I don't have
a good reference for any but I am going back to Time Warner. Even though
I will pay more and their customer service isn't much better, at least
they had accurate billing and if there was a problem, they would address
and admit it. Good luck WOW, you will need it!

(review was emailed from domain securitasinc.com)

Comments:
SCSIraidGURU

join:2013-05-24
Saint Clair Shores, MI

I beg to differ

I called last night about my bill around 7pm. After choosing a few customer billing options, my wait was about 1 minute. They answered my question promptly.

ryanx30

@knology.net

Re: I beg to differ

I just got my bill this morning and they are charging me $260 when I know for a fact that I only incurred about $130 in charges this month. WOW! has only been in my town for about a month and before then Knology was pretty good with not billing me like this. I called them about this problem and they don't seem to care. I will try to inform others in my town to try to stop using WOW! if they have this problem also and go to Charter instead.

Review by AlgUSF See Profile

• Location: Seminole,Pinellas,FL
Good "15/2 Broadband for $20/mo less than Brighthouse's 10/1 standard RR."
Bad "Ping times are a little high."
Overall "Good value for the money"

My wife and I had Brighthouse Cable and Internet since we bought our house 4 years ago. We went with DirecTV for cable and were stuck at ~60/mo for just Internet. Since FIOS wasn't available in our neighborhood we decided to give Wow! a shot. Wow! bought Knology who bought out the old GTE Americast cable system from the late 1990's. For 60/mo with BH we were getting 10/1 service, and now we have 15/2 service with Wow!

The woman on the phone was very courteous and upfront with all of the prices, and fees. We decided to forgo the modem rental and grabbed our own DOCSIS 2.0 modem to save the $5/mo.

The gentleman who came to install our service was extremely friendly, and made sure to install it the way that we requested. The install was very professional looking. He told us that a burial crew would be here within 7-10 days to bury the cable, and they were out the next day burying the wire. I am happy that Wow! has their installers ground to the electrical meter as opposed to the water line like Brighthouse and Verizon do. Not to mention that it is one less unsightly box next to my pool.

Speeds are as promised, but the latency seems a little high.

Comments:

Review by jkowols See Profile

• Location: Mount Prospect,Cook,IL
Good "Picture quality, features, whole house dvr with 6 tuners,"
Bad "Router funtions are limited"
Overall "Over all good, just need to work out the issues"

After 27 year s with Comcast, we were tired of the steady rate increases
with little or no consideration for being a long time customer. Here is a
review of our WOW Ultra TV installation which was completed this week

Pros:

Picture quality is good on all 3 tvs with Media Players

TV that is directly hooked up receives a lot of channels and local broadcast
in HD - overall picture quality is good

Channel lineup for the price is good

DVR functions & options are good

Installation was on-time and went well with one exception. I had ordered a
cable card for my HD HomeRun Prime. When the installer arrived I was told
that it would not work and he took it with him. So I called the salesman and
complained. 2 days later the same installer was back with a cable card. It
works and I receive the same channel lineup on the cable card that I do on
the media players. Problem solved

Cons:

Internet speeds good be better. Really don't want to add another $20 to the
monthly bill to upgrade to the 30 Mbps speed

Gateway/Router - Mine is in the crawl space so I don't use it for wireless.
I have a separate AP for that. The biggest problem is that I have not been
able to port forward my IP cameras. I spent an hour with tier 3 support with
no success. According to WOW it is setup correctly, just not working. The
device itself is slow to change menus, which does not help with the setup. I
found the solution posted by another member that uses my old router after
it has been setup as a DMZ device. Unless WOW comes up with a better idea,
I may need to try that

Phone - Limited options in setup. For example, I would like to adjust the #
of rings before the voice mail kicks in. If this is do-able, I can't find it

Overall we are happy, in spite of a few bumps in the road. However, I will
be happier when I can see my IP cameras from outside the house. The switch
to WOW is saving us $50 / month over Comcast and that makes us very happy

Comments:

Sjjdjb

@wideopenwest.com

Tech support?

Tech didn't understand the cable card the first time?
Your cameras didn't work and going through different levels of support they still don't?

How can you give tech support 100%?
jkowols

join:2013-05-06
Mount Prospect, IL
·WOW Internet and..

Re: Tech support?

Well, maybe 100% was being too kind, but since then the issues with the IP cameras and the cable card have been resolved and I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. During all of the years with Comcast, they were far from perfect too

On the negative side we have had to reset the gateway a few times. Hopefully last nights software upgrade resolves the problems

Review by JG526 See Profile

• Location: South Lyon,Oakland,MI
Good "Good installation, Getting advertised speeds, prices, no contract"
Bad "None yet"
Overall "Happy with new WOW internet & phone service"

New service that was installed approximately 3 weeks ago. The tech showed during scheduled time period & did a nice clean install. Order the 15/1 plan and am getting advertised speeds. Paying $80 per month for internet & phone with a price lock until 2015. Only minor disappointment was the older Arris TM402g modem they provided me. Will update if any issues come up.

member for 1 year, 39 visits, last login: 106 days ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by parkut See Profile

• Location: Harrison Township,Macomb,MI
Good "Installation, price, reputation of company"
Bad "none yet"
Overall "quick installation, installer arrived as promised"

**** Updated 04/01/13 *********
nothing new to report

**** Updated 03/23/12 *********
Recently needed to get WOW to rename reverse ptr for our static IP to help resolve
problems with e-mail delivery from our server to remote systems. WOW tech
support was fast and knowledgeable. A pleasure to work with these folks.

**** Updated 02/13/11 *********
nothing new to report. Paying $69.99 / month with all taxes

**** Updated 01/30/10 *********
nothing new to report.

**** Updated 07/08/09 *********
Circuit is lightly used, nothing new to report.

**** Updated 12/27/08 *********
There have been some occasional outages, not quite as reliable as I'd hoped it to be. Generally pleased with downloads. When uploading and the line is saturated, the ping time goes way up, ping graph in excess of 500 ms. This in turn slows down the download speeds as well.

**** Original Install June 22, 2008 *********
Ordered the 8/1 Ultra Plus Internet package with 5 static IP's

This is a business account, with no limits on hosting servers
(I also use WOW for my home connection).

Installer ran new aerial cable, plus an additional 50' inside cable

Once modem was recognized, my salesman ordered the static IP's

Two days later, I was provided with the proper IP configuration
and within moments I was online.

This circuit will likely replace our Business DSL static package
since we are limited by distance from the RT to 3 meg x 512

member for 12.3 years, 6353 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by avonlakeoh See Profile

• Location: Avon Lake,Lorain,OH
Good "Quick install, good reception, good internet speed, good phone"
Bad "Terrible Service, Phone calls never answered, E-mails never answered"
Overall "We'll go back to Century Phone and DSL and Time Warner TV"

Order and Install went smooth as glass. WOWWAY was new to our area. It was competitive with Time Warner and Century phone and DSL.. We were given 6 months per year seasonal hold for $20+ per month. In the fall when we tried to place WOW on seasonal hold they never answered any phones. E-mails went unanswered and there was no way to notify WOW of desired seasonal hold on their web site. They continued to charge our VISA the full amount 4 months after we put the service on hold. We finally went to visa, presented them with the facts and they reversed the charges. To this day WOW has no idea what's going on. Finally talk to their service reps and you get a different story from each one. WOW is absolutely out of control. A company run by accountants - great at getting your money but extremely poor customer service. Avonlakeoh

member for 1 year, 0 visits, last login: 1 year ago