WOW Internet and Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Rambo76098 See Profile

• Location: Blacklick,Franklin,OH
Good "Great Customer Service, Connection finally working well"
Bad "Botched Install, Poor Connection due to Crappy WOW Modem"
Overall "Not the cheapest, but great service"

To start this off, want to note this is overall a positive review. Wouldn't have said that at first, but a few months in things are finally where they should be.

Anyway, when AT&T announced caps, I started shopping around. Put my addy into WOWs website to see if service was available. Got a call from a sales rep Jesse and I placed an order for 15/1 internet only. Install was available quickly. Day of, installer never showed. Called Jesse - he forgot to put in the order. No problem, stuff happens.

Next appointment, installer shows up REALLY early, I have to leave work early to get home. Installer refuses to move the coax line from going across the deck (previous owner) to either under the deck or thru the existing hole being used by UVerse (equipment for both are in my condo's yard, inches from the building). Sign off of on the install (what else can I do?) and call WOW right away, they send an employee out the next day instead of a contractor. He moves the line, takes the WOW box off the back (not sure why they installed it for the previous owner, the line was grounded inside the unit, even said so in the box). Things are finally working at this point. Last issue was that Jesse made it sound like a router was included in the $5/mo equipment fee. They gave me a $50 bill credit for the issues and to buy a router.

Right off the bat I had connection issues. Would go down quite often, and pings/speeds would fluctuate quite badly. Turned out to be the crappy modem they gave me (Scientific Atlanta Webstar DPX100). If you ever get WOW installed, DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO INSTALL THIS MODEM! Ask instead for the Scientific Atlanta DPC2100R2. I had several months of connection problems and almost canceled and went to Insight over it.

Now that things are going smoothly, I am very satisfied with WOW. Speeds delivered are consistent, and are exactly as advertised (15/1). Wish the install process would have gone better, and WOW hadn't given me a crappy modem that was stamped as manufactured in 2002.

Update 7/15/14. Great reliability and speeds are consistent, even at peak times. No complaints. Was upgraded for free to 2mb upload instead of 1. Only one bill increase, I think 2 bucks a month.

member for 12 years, 1089 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Worst cable

@96.27.65.x

Wow is worst

Wow cable is the absolute worst

karen

@173.87.50.x

Re: Wow is worst

Absolutely ! I wish there was a different cable service in my area ! Programing breaks up & cuts out constantly. Also can't get GSN any more.

Re: Wow is worst

They are A HELL of a lot better than TWC, AT&T, and Comcast. I've had all of them before, and hope to never use them again.

jasonwolf

@99.46.4.x

wow

You could not find worse company than wow way. They put all kind of ridiculous charges on your monthly bill. installation fee, modem fee, etc. even you did install by yourself and have your own modem. They put more charges than the contract you signed on. You would get hung up when you tried to talk about this. So stay away from this business.

Re: wow

There's no such charges on my bill. It has one line: Internet Services: $52 a month.

No modem, no equipment, etc. Sorry sir, but you are mistaken or misinformed.

davidbrandt

@64.53.201.x

Crapy billing

Wow has a habit of never sending a bill with the same charges, they're over priced and you don't get what you pay for. I've called them tree times asking why I don't have the velocity channel, they said that I should be receiving it because it's included in my program package, they said they would add it and the other channels I'm not getting, never happened yet, they're liars. I'm in the process of looking for a different carrier, one that's not full of crap, doesn't overcharge and knows how to run a coax cable without leaving it on the ground, I also called about this and was told they would take care of, it still hasn't been done to this day.

Re: Crapy billing

Probably not the best review to complain about TV service on... since I don't have cable TV. Giant waste of money.

Cher Freds

@71.203.69.x
They don't exist. Comcast sucks. Been with them for 20+ yrs. and my bill is never the same. I constantly have to fight to get my service discount I earned after 20 yrs. and then they up my regular bundle rate. They have overseas people who can't speak english so they make the situation worse. I can't seem to find an alternative. Best of luck to you.

Review by zeke56 See Profile

• Location: Naperville,Du Page,IL
Good "Consistent, decent price"
Bad "none"
Overall "So far I am very happy with this service"

·Ting
Update 7/14/2014

I've now had the service for about three months and I have not changed my opinion. It has been consistent and reliable for the entire time I've had the service.

end of Update 7/14/2014

I've had the service for a little over a month, and so far it as been 100% reliable and consistent. I'm using my own Motorola surfboard modem. I haven't had need of tech support, but the person I talked to before I signed up at least seemed to have a clue about things like ping times, in contrast to the converted goat herders that apparently staff AT&T tech support.

I have QOS set up on my router to allow 80% of the nominal maximum speed both upstream and downstream. I've tested speeds several times a week during evening hours using speedtest.net, and the results have been consistently quite close to the maximum governed by my QOS settings. I've tested ping times and jitter quite a few times using pingtest.net, and the jitter is consistently ~15ms or less no matter which server I connect to (the average ping times increase w/ distance, with the closest giving me typically ~30ms, altho the ping times using speedtest.net are typically less). One reason I switched from dsl, in addition to the speed increase, was that my voip was suffering from dropouts and poor call quality w/ dsl. With WOW I haven't noticed any dropouts and the sound quality on calls seems better (altho this aspect is really hard to judge objectively in my opinion).

The promotional price of $50/mo for WOW is the same as the dsl service I had previously, with several times the speed. I believe they said after the 12 month promotional period, the price will rise to the $60s, which still seems reasonable to me.

member for 6 years, 198 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

mtaylor9287

@69.73.37.x

service

Both my husband and I have contacted WOW at their home office, contacting their customer service rep. CEO and other to no avail over the last year and a half. We were fortunate to have Knowlogy service in Montgomery, AL, but since moving to Madison, AL. and Knowlogy being purchased by WOW the service has completely disintegrated. I would not recommend them to my worse enemy, even if they were offering a $1,000 bonus for new sign ups. We live in a captured gated community which has WOW for gate control, internet, phone, and cable, therefore we have little recourse but to move in orde to improve our service. Hardly a week passes where we do no not have problems with the gate. For the last year, regularly every two or three weeks I loose internet, cable or phone service. The excuse is that they are working on the cables, doing upgrades. I would think that 12 months is long enough to replace cables from here to Texas. Sad to say this is not a one person or place problem. I have spoken to a number of my neighbors, and they have experienced the same problems. If you are considering WOW service or are forced into their service. "GOOD LUCK"

RogueJawa

join:2013-08-15
Canal Winchester, OH
·WOW Internet and..
·Frontier Communi..

Re: service

If you're considering WOW service you made the right choice, at least if you're in Ohio. I had their service for nearly 7 years with next to no service calls. The only prominent one in my memory was when a neighbor broke into the junction for the complex and disconnected my cable and connected it to theirs. They were out the same day, hooked it back up, and made the access more secure.
rakweb

join:2010-03-12
Lawrence, KS

Service degrading

I have been a wireless customer for several years, we are located in rural Kansas. Our first ISP provider was a local company called Sunflower, they were very cooperative and eager to help their customers. Then they were purchased by Knology and the quality started to degrade, now WOW is in the picture and service has crumbled. I would not recommend their service unless you only need to read your emails, their speeds are marginal and frequently the service is interrupted. Although the technical support is very good, is of no help if their equipment is outdated and prone to malfunction. My original contract with Sunflower called for unlimited use with no cap and no throttle, however that was not honored by WOW and now they throttle their customers. Occasionally and at best I get bursts of 2.5 Gb/s download speeds but currently it is 425 Kb/s download and 195 Kb/s upload. We are going to sign up with another provider that has certain guarantees.

Review by FJC See Profile

• Location: Canton,Wayne,MI
Good "Great customer service, reliable internet/cable"
Overall "Been a happy customer for 10 years, would take a lot to get me to change"

Great customer service, very friendly. Technicians have always known what they were doing. Service very reliable - in 10 years I think I've called them 2 or 3 times for internet issues, always fixed quickly.

Comments:

Bernadette

@166.137.101.x

Bad service

I've been a wow customer for four years. We have had a lot of interrupted services including out phone. I don't understand why they can't give their customers a shorter window time to send out repairmen. I was told one would be out between eight am and eleven- thirty am. I later found out I was told wrong and the serviceman would be out between eight am and nine pm. Unless you have a live in maid or no life this is unacceptable. I work for a living which is how I pay my bill. We need more choices in cable services. AT&T isn't in my area.

mildred j H

@75.76.168.x

Disgusted.

I have a problem with my phone and no one will answer when I call. It is a round about way out by saying "I can't tell what you are saying." I press one to get some help--NO HELP. Your expensive and I'm not being helped.

Review by mvonhatten See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Oakland,MI
Good "Fairly cheap internet and TV bundle."
Bad "They take forever to hire contractors to bury new lines to the house"

Have been a customer for 13 years. Started using my own modem two years ago, and have the 30/3 internet with basic cable and 2 digital converter boxes.

They raise the price on me every 12 months when the rate expires, until I call and ask about the price increase. They notice my loyalty and instantly knock $10 off my bill. I think they are happy to work with repeat customers. The bill has gone up because of state taxes, licensing fees, and other stuff that is beyond their control.

I haven't had a representative out in the last 5 years, but they were very professional when they were here last.

Comments:

Review by porfkat See Profile

• Location: Grovetown,Columbia,GA
Good "Quick and easy set up. Tech stuck around until all my systems worked"
Bad "Slow as molasses, high ping times, low bandwidth, high cost"
Overall "It's the only cable internet in Grovetown so you're stuck with it or the worse AT&T DSL"

The front office was nice and explained their services well. When I read the listing of internet speeds, I turned the sheet over and she interjected "those are the only speeds we have!" 16 up and 2 down is abysmal compared to what I'm used to with Cox and Bresnan in other towns I've lived--nearly a quarter of the bandwidth I'm used to for the price.

The technician was nice enough and stuck around to make sure my laptop, tablet and phone all worked.

Lines get congested and even trying to reach Google's front page can take forever to load on the weekends so I end up using Bing (shudder). Youtube can take forever to load continually buffers even low-def videos.

What else are you going to do in Grovetown? Use AT&T DSL? Good luck with that! The installer said that WOW was supposed to upgrade speeds last year but they pushed it to the end of 2014. So, hopefully we get that 25 or 50 Mbps like a decent ISP should provide these days.

Comments:

bigjohn767

@207.98.169.x

New Service

Looking for new service in the Harlem, GA area. WOW is the only cable provider. It took me 2 weeks to get in touch with a sales person on the costs. If tech support is anything like the sales dept., I'm afraid. I watch movies from Amazon all the time so satellite internet is not the answer. I guess I'll have to live with them until something better comes alone.
netwerp

join:2010-12-10
Evans, GA
·AT&T DSL Service

WowWay - what way?

I might go with them if their service delivers as promised but clueless about why they may not deliver since their prices seem to support Comcast and not WOWway. If they won't compete and their delivery is slow maybe Bell SE is a better choice. Or maybe even satellite for TV.

Review by Too Furious See Profile

• Location: Charleston,Charleston,SC

Horrible service. I pay twice as much for half the service I used to have with Comcast. I am only forced to use it because they are the only ones available in my current location. Can not wait to move or WOW goes out of business which ever comes first. With Comcast I paid $60.00 for 100 mps and I got 100 mps. With WOW I pay over $100 for 50 mps and I get 36 mps.

Comments:

disappointed

@68.209.230.x

horrible wifi and Apple TV service

i am so disappointed, i pay more for this service than i do on my power bill. i received an Apple TV with tons of movies to view, guess what? they wont, load, stream, directly from ipad, or computor.
i hate this cable network. not fair you should be allowed to choose providers in an apartment complex. i live in prattville. this stinks, i will tell anyone that listens

saraC

@24.214.159.x

WOW Internet

This has got to be the worst internet service provider I've ever had. Keeps cutting in and out and I constantly have to disconnect and reconnect to get anything done. Unreliable and disappointing.

darkoneisme

@107.47.49.x

horrible

It's horrible....my internet keeps going out/having only limited access to it. At first it was just the one time. Now it happens everyday. Now the cable is out too...and I know for a fact that its on their end because I checked everything all my equipment that's brand new and its fine.

Hate u WOW

@66.87.18.x

Terrible service

THE ABSOLUTE WORST WIFI INTERNET EVER CONCEIVED!!!!!! Will recommend to noone.

Review by kcrupp See Profile

• Location: Allen Park,Wayne,MI
Good "Ok service, Not so great price."
Bad "Their speeds and price are no longer competative"
Overall "They are falling behind the competion"

At a time when everybody else is offering higher speeds and upgrading their technology, WOW is doing the opposite. More money and bullshit fees for no added performance.

member for 13.1 years, 4306 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by computerman2 See Profile

• Location: Rockwood,Wayne,MI
Good "Excellent Service"
Bad "None that I noticed"
Overall "Great Service"

·AT&T Midwest
I'm Very Happy with my WOW(Wideopenwest) Internet Service and Cable Television, been using it over a year now, and just upgraded recently to Advanced package--which is even better than original package I was on(original package was 500kbps download and 300 upload)
When WOW does maintenance, it's never too long of an outage..and they very rarely do much maintenance in my side of town.
All in All this is the best ever Internet and Cable Company I've ever used--Comcast I had prior to Wideopenwest, and couldn't online game at all with it, or do much of anything...

Wideopenwest(WOW) Just keeping improving, and you'll always have a happy customer here

Due to Moving in January 2005--Had to Cancel WideOpenWest Service, since was not available in Gibraltar Michigan, So Hopefully the service is still working as well as when i left it, and if does ever come available in Gibraltar Michigan, may check it out

January 11th 2014, Resigned up with WOW Cable and Internet, and Phone, Service been very reliable not many outages except one. Original install was on time, and went perfectly, minus a few problems, that a Tech just solved yesterday 4/12/2013. Gaming Online excellent, Download speed and upload speed excellent, I do much more online than in 2004/2005 when I last had WOW internet. Nowadays I use SKype voice over ip more, online game, stream music/videos, etc.

Arris Gateway works great, Ultra TV service is a very nice feature

member for 12.9 years, 2099 visits, last login: 10 days ago

Comments:

Review by ClockerXP See Profile

• Location: Sterling Heights,Macomb,MI
Good "Not much- UltraTV is OK"
Bad "Not competitive on price/services ratio"
Overall "Great value."

Had to leave WOW because the deal from Comcast was just too good. With WOW I had UltraTV, 15/2 Internet and Essential Phone. With my promotion it was $116 but was about to go up to about $140 so I decided to check out what Comcast has again.

With Comcast I am getting 105/20 Internet, a whole lot more channels, a TON more On Demand, the new X1 Platform and better phone service that does not charge me long distance fees to call New York & Chicage....all for about $125 per month the first year and about $145 per month the 2nd year. Switching was a No Brainer!

I might come back to WOW if they become competitive with their price/services ratio.

Comments:

Review by CrippleFight See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Speed"
Overall "Great Speed at a Great Price"

·AT&T Southeast