WOW Internet and Cable page on DSLReports

Review by richard8655 See Profile

• Location: Glen Ellyn,Du Page,IL
Good "Cost is probably more reasonable than the competition"
Bad "Poor choice of intelligent channels. Almost no public TV. Mostly low brow channels."
Overall "Fair. Pricing is good, but channel choices offer little for the intelligent viewer."

Lack of Public TV channels. Lack of intelligent channel choices.

With the start of digital TV, our (Chicago) public TV stations are now also broadcasting subchannels. Our 2 public stations each have a couple additional channels of great, intelligent programming.

But expect WOW to carry them in their Chicagoland cable line-up? No, of course not. We're too dumbed down, and only want wrestling and the usual mass entertainment. Even the competition here (Comcast and U-verse) carry them. But WOW, of course not.

I've rigged an outside antenna in pulling them in (for free). All the more reason to consider dropping WOW. In addition, only 1 of the 2 public TV channels is in HD on WOW. On top of that, WOW offers no on-demand feature for any of the Chicago public TV channels.

Additional intelligent channels such as Current TV and Sundance channels are also completely unavailable. Again, these are offered by WOW's competition in Chicagoland - Comcast and U-verse.

This is why the fair rating. If the pricing wasn't so good, I'd switch to one of the competition.

Comments:

Ygvygv

TiVo

This is why I love TiVo. Combines cable and antenna into one channel line up. Seem less to the user what the source is unless you know what numbers go with what.

Review by classic454 See Profile

• Location: Elgin,Kane,IL
Good "nothing"
Bad "poor service"
Overall "do not get wow"

call in for cable install,upgrade internet to 30/3 and upgrade phone.10 min before installer was to arrive,installer call and said he didn't have all the equipment.said they would do half the install now and the rest at some future date.i told them to cancel the install.was on the phone for 3 hours trying to get the account switch back to what it was.been with wow for many years.will go to comcast if i have to have this bad of customer service.

Comments:

Review by Gerard1234 See Profile

• Location: Hazel Park,Oakland,MI
Good "Good value for the money but was getting higher."
Bad "Billing system as getting the unprovision message"
Overall "Comcast equipment is better than WOW because it works."

Salesman came by Thursday the 13 of September sold the product install was Saturday, phone provisioned Tuesday. I have Ultra TV with the 50/5. 4 TV's and the advanced phone service. I also have signature cable and HD pack. The equipment is the Arris media gateway with 6 tuners. The installer wired the house and ran a new drop from the tap outside.

Well here is my last review of WOW. The first month seemed ok but as time went on I would get no picture frequent reboots, And calling the tech support became a time wasting experience since it would take about 45 minutes to get through and had no time to wait this long have to work for a living not babysit the ISP. Everyone in the house would get mad a me for switching to WOW. And noticed they did not have that many sports channels either.

So went back to Comcast and they gave me new equipment that has more features on it. Like the HD zoom. And gave me and even better price. Everyone is happy now in the house, because they have more ONdemand and sports.

Comments:

Review by hovisrobert See Profile

• Location: Saint Clair Shores,Macomb,MI
Good "it used to work ,they used to answer the phone"
Bad "no customer service only busy signal"
Overall "stay away do not buy this service but since they don't answer the phone you probably can't sign up anyway"

I have had this service for over 3 or 4 years. We have triple play. The only thing that still works well is the phone. Internet download is below 1 megabit. TV reception is now poor. On their website it say customer service wait time is 10mins. you only get busy signal .If you call 10 or 20 times you might get through but you will be on hold for an hour or so. It took that much effort to have my Moms service removed ,but then was stiffed by service people who never showed up on time to pickup parts.Could not call to find out why because of above mentioned customer service problems. These problems have been going on for more than 2 months.
This was a good company
Its a shame but I recommend you look elsewhere for cable service

Update !!!!!
In response to all the complaints and bad service wowway has reacted by
RAISING OUR RATES BY $8
But they are really sorry

Comments:

Ex wow custo

Wow sucks!

Did they really send a letter telling us how sorry they were about their poor service and then the very next paragraph said they were raising their rates?

How about a refund for all the bad service?
bartongrimm

join:2013-03-06
Franklin, MI

WOW are nothing but liars

They lied that their "billing upgrade" wasn't the cause of the crap service since 11/2013. Finally met someone who told me it was a company wide lie. They screwed the pooch on the upgrade and just don't care about their customers. Lies, lies and more lies. Corporate America is a piece of s**t. They have been to my house about twenty-five times, s**t still doesn't work. Run, do not walk, away fast, fast, fast. What a bunch of low-lifes.

Review by CSS See Profile

• Location: Allen Park,Wayne,MI
Bad "Failed customer service; Inaccurate billing"
Overall "Leave this company"

In the two months we have been with WOW, they have failed to respond to email queries, are very difficult to reach via telephone, and billing has been grossly inaccurate. Through auto pay, double the amount due was deducted from our bill paying account resulting in bounced check fees for us. After more than 40 minutes on the phone, customer service rep Kirsten stated she could not provide a timely refund, but would submit a "research paper" to investigate the cause of the problem. Additionally, when I spoke with customer service manager, Nikko, she reiterated she could not provide a timely refund. I then requested some form of compensation. She agreed to provide $50 towards next month's bill. I asked that under the circumstances, why she did not offer compensation rather than me having to request it; her response was "I don't know how to respond to that". Currently I do not have a refund nor do I have any proof of compensation. Is WOW incorrectly taking money and drawing interest on it before providing a refund?

Comments:

Review by slojoe See Profile

• Location: Avon Lake,Lorain,OH
Good "Cheaper than Time-Warner"
Bad "Only 2.0 Speed"
Overall "Not A bad value"

Not A bad value

Comments:

Review by raypsi1 See Profile

• Location: Redford,Wayne,MI
Good "They installed drop from pole to house and hook up on Sunday AM"
Bad "used 120 minutes of phone time and one botched order to get service"
Overall "ordered 2Mbps service and I got advertised speed wicked awesome"

First order they hooked me up to their bot phone system after talking to a person bot refused to understand my responses I thought I got the order thru for install the next day but when the time went by I called they said they had no record of me:( after using 120 minutes of cell phone time Saturday they set me up for Sunday lucky service man was only 4 minutes late for that window of time.
The install went smooth.
I gots a Arris TM502G modem rented for $2/month
I got the service protection plan $3/month
2Mbps speed for $42/month
and a total balance of $98 for the install and internet listed above
The balance was due 1/25/13 but I paid it the next day after install
I don't know for sure it the bandwidth is capped
And they do give me the true advertised, speed that never happened with any of my other ISP's

Comments:
levis76

join:2013-01-06

Try a true speed test

Try speedtest.net, not the WOW! speed test. Their's only tests between their servers and your modem. Try a real world speed test on servers around the country and prepare to be disappointed.

raypsi1

join:2001-04-09
Redford, MI

Re: Try a true speed test

What? I used dslreports java and flash servers every time I got 2+mbps If I could of figure out how to post the results here I would have sorry about that.

raypsi1

join:2001-04-09
Redford, MI
·WOW Internet and..

Re: Try a true speed test

Here's results of just 3 java tests here on dslreports:

21-01-2013 04:03 AM java speedtest 2105 Kbps 782 Kbps New Jersey, USA wideopenwest.com
del 08-01-2013 08:34 AM java speedtest 2030 Kbps 1122 Kbps New Jersey, USA wideopenwest.com 0635hrs est
del 07-01-2013 08:09 AM java speedtest 2111 Kbps 1121 Kbps New Jersey, USA wideopenwest.com

Review by levis76 See Profile

• Location: Sterling Heights,Macomb,MI
Good "Installer was on time and courteous."
Bad "TV signal breaks up constantly, Internet is slow, wifi is terrible"
Overall "DO NOT switch/sign up to WOW! Explore other options."

I'll start with the positives. The installer was on time, courteous, and clean. He was a contractor though, not an actual WOW! employee. He had everything installed and working fairly quickly and gave me an excellent walkthrough on how to navigate the different guides and operate the Media Gateway. He had to run a new drop to the box in the neighbors yard and ran the cable down along the fence line. He was nice enough to advise me to bury it myself because the contractors that do it do a hack job and wouldn't be here to do it till spring if they came at all.

It was all downhill after that. About an hour after he left the wifi dropped out completely. I could connect to my neighbors wifi through Comcast, but our own was just not working. I reset the gateway several times and before becoming utterly frustrated I attempted to call WOW! customer support. Yeah right. I got a busy signal the first several times before I finally got the automated message that they are going through a system upgrade and therefore phone wait times could be longer than usual. I put the phone on speaker and waited while I continued to mess with the system. 35min on hold and the line went dead. Tried again and 40min wait with same result, line went dead. I finally got the wifi working by tweaking all of the settings until I found a configuration that seemed to work. Now the wifi works but it's very weak.

The wired internet connection speed seems to be pretty stable, but it really is not. I can't watch streaming videos from any site, YouTube, ABC, NBC, Netflix, Disney, etc. A video will start and approx 1 min in it will stop and buffer for several minutes. When it does begin to play it'll run for a few seconds and buffer again. Watching the network traffic on my PC, there isn't any. It's buffering and not d/l'ing a darn thing. Then suddenly, there will be a burst of traffic and a few seconds will play. Maddening. Especially when I can connect to my neighbor's wifi and watch the same video seemlessly in HD. Occasionally during the day, my 5yr old will be able to watch videos on Sprout or Disney without any issues, but more often than not she can't and that is unacceptable.

The cable TV picture quality is fantastic. The audio is quite a bit louder than the U-Verse, which required me to adjust the audio settings on the TV itself. Both of these of course are entirely dependent on whether the incoming signal isn't corrupted. My local signal strength is always great, but more often than not prime time programming starts pixelating and audio stutters. Sometimes it actually drops out entirely and gives us a lost signal screen for several minutes. We have had many recorded programs corrupted as such and we are left with little options to catch up on our favorite shows when this happens since watching videos online has become an exercise in futility.

Overall, we are very dissatisfied with the service we have been provided thus far and are looking into other options, but more than likely we will be switching back to U-Verse by the end of the week unless we see a drastic improvement in both services.

Comments:

Review by Hoohash See Profile

• Location: Grosse Ile,Wayne,MI

I was happy with WOW for the first roughly year of service. However, I encountered an issue early on with my computer not printing to my wireless printer that was 1 month old and worked fine with my previous Comcast service. I was told by the tech my printer was bad and they attempted to charge me for the diagnosis. I then was able to reach someone at WOW tech support that says the encryption of the WOW service conflicts with some of the wireless printers.

Now, they keep apologizing for the terrible transation in the billing system. I just want to be able to watch TV and have more than one person on the internet at a time. Every night or every other night, the delay in the picture is so bad it's just a bunch of digitized cubes. Call WOW and the phone just rings busy all night. I give up. I won't go back to Comcast, but I won't deal this this. If only I could reach them to cancel my service. AT&T - here I come!

Comments:

Disappointed

@wideopenwest.com

Horrible service and cable!

Do not get this service we have had problems with our service for almost 3 months.....can't ever watch tv have had 5 service men out to keep changing boxes still no cable...I wouldn't put this service in my dogs house! Comcast here we come. Service may be a little more but at least I get to watch tv instead of paying and never having cable! so so so disappointed and so inconvenienced ...

Review by Tutch2012 See Profile

• Location: Madison Heights,Oakland,MI
Good "WOW was once an excellent provider, maybe theyll make a come back."
Bad "Everything from thier lies, to thier customer support"
Overall "Please, from one human being to another, DO NOT PURCHASE!"

I signed up for this website just so i can share my personal experience and help others find a half decent cable company. I used to have comcast, they had wonderful internet and tv from personal experience. However i switched to WOW due to a rude encounter from customer support, but i was horribly let down when i found out that WOW was not any better. To reach WOW on average is a 10-60 Minute wait, (no joke! Check out www.wowway.com, they admit this fault!) and if you do ever manage to get a hold of them, their attitude can often be less than pleasant. I invested this poorly used hour of my life to get someone to come over to check put my internet as without warning, it stopped working. The worker had an awful attitude (and i attempt to be nice to people such as this, its not their fault its not working) from the moment he laid foot on my property. As to their television services, my TV will freeze without warning for anywhere from 5-10 minutes. This happens quite frequently along with a terrible delay in the picture. And finally with the internet, where to start. I have became a master in dealing with routers and modems because i (this is not a lie!) have to restart them on average 5-15 times a day. From a statistic standpoint they have fair connection speed, but from personal experience this is far from the truth. It can take upwards from 10 seconds to load a single page, i pay for 15MBPS but as i checked it yesterday i only have 1.111MBPS, however i would rather take that then ever deal with such rude employees ever again. I've heard that AT&T is worse so WOW isn't the epitome of terrible all around service, just very close to it.

Comments:
mykelhall

join:2012-08-05
Naperville, IL

dont be sour...

I have had WOW! internet and cable TV since they came to Naperville some 10+ years ago now. The past couple months yes, have been bad for WOW! but please do not let these past couple months sour you on WOW! altogether. In the entire time I have had WOW!, these past couple months have been the only negative I have had with them. Yes every once in a while the TV picture cuts out for half a second and yes once in a while our internet drops and once every several months yes we cycle our router and modem ( well now TV gateway for Ultra TV). But I had to do that with Comcast too and no company has a 100% up-time...i guarantee it.

If you just have their standard cable .... try upgrading to their Ultra TV. I absolutely love it. I had Comcast for 3.5 years while at my apartment at school and yes I loved them. I wanted to switch to them when I moved back home. However my parents never did and I am now thankful for that, since our Ultra TV upgrade.

Every company goes through a time where sometimes stuff messes up. But like I said, yes the past 2-3 months have been HORRIBLE for WOW!, but don't let that persuade you to switch back to comcrap. (har har har) Try their Ultra TV if you have not already and then see what I am talking about...if you lived close i would let you come check it out.

misslady1980

@tmodns.net

terrible service/customer service has busy Sig for 2weeks!!!

Normally its ok. the last few weeks I can't even watch tv. The screen is frozen or completely choppy. Complete waste of money. I've had wow for ten or more years but I think its time for a change! sorry wow no stars!!!!