WOW Internet and Cable page on DSLReports

Review by ChrisCars See Profile

• Location: Evansville,Vanderburgh,IN
Good "The internet seems to be more reliable than the other guy"
Bad "Everything has seemed to gone down hill in the past year and a half"
Overall "I wouldn't recommend them "

So here in Evansville they price themselves like the other guys but they don't have as many features. I used to like them because they were a bit cheaper and great customer service even though I didn't get the new channels of apps. They keep raising prices, the only alternative that can get the speeds that I need is Time Warner and I have no desire to do business with them. I will be dropping cable within 12 months. I am keeping it now because they messed up and quoted me prices wrong when I got this installed and I ended up getting whole house dvr with 3 boxes and 15 mb internet for 120 as of now, it used to be less but they keep adding random fees. They tried to charge me over 160 for it but they messed up and quoted me wrong so gave it for me for this price for two years after several calls. When this price after two years falls off then so does this expensive cable and I go to net only.

I don't have that many problem with the internet. This modem/router for whole home DVR sucks but that will go away in a year and I'll buy my own. I am now using my own router with it but still have issues since I have to keep some things enabled for home dvr to work. I switched to Time Warner for a short time and came back because I got speeds of under 10 mbs constantly on my 20 MB plan and anytime I called I was told it was peak time usage. I don't see that many dips on WOW in my area.

member for 22 days, 13 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

realG4life

@172.56.1.x

wow sucks

Every time you are wachin something on the best part get freezz I think I goin to change to dish Latino.

Review by anakin415 See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "They have representatives on this forum willing to work with you."
Bad "Value and spotty call center customer service."
Overall "If it wasnt for the limited options in Chicago & WOW_DAN, I would probably be gone."

I have been with WOW nearly ten years after a horrific experience with Comcast. I have the Ultra TV & 15/2 net. Six months ago, this would have been an entirely different review, one that was full of praise. There had never been a problem that wasn't easily fixed or a question that wasn't answered to my satisfaction. I was also satisfied with the value I was receiving and was even considering upgrading my internet.

Lately, the internet latency has been ridiculous and no one seemed to have an answer as to why. Customer service had no idea how to handle my call and rather than apologize or maintain some level of compassion, the last call center representative was absolutely rude. As a previous call center customer service manager, I would have lost my job if her actions were mine. That call led me to find a way to escalate this matter further, which is how I ended up here and interacted with a representative (to my surprise). If it wasn't for him, I would not be with WOW today. WOW has no way, other than email on their website and their call center, to escalate problems. I sent an email commending this person and have yet to seen an acknowledgement that the email was even received. Which leads me to doubt that a complaint would have gotten me any response at all.

Pricing has gone up. I am paying about $35 more a month than I had when this year started. Nothing about my service has changed. I never did upgrade my internet and do not use their phone service. Its odd how other carriers are offering rates $50 less than WOW and offering more channels and higher net speeds. I hope that WOW becomes competitive again and do something to improve their call center customer service, otherwise more of us will jump ship.

member for 32 days, 27 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Cantelope

@70.209.17.x

Recall wow

i hate wow. It is the worst thing to happen to Panama City. That's including all the spring break nonsense. Wow is awful. Their internet cable is bull crap. I've been out of Internet for a week now and I've called several times but they all say it's my fault. And they try to redirect me to some other idiot tech support kid. Here o am paying hundreds of dollars a month and they can't even help me get the Internet they provide to work. Screw them.
wowMike

join:2013-12-02
Allen Park, MI

Re: Recall wow

Cantelope,

I'm sorry to hear of the poor service you are experiencing. Please PM WOW_Dan or myself with your account number or the MAC address listed on your modem and we'll look into the problem.

Review by PurpleXephos See Profile

• Location: Huntsville,Madison,AL
Good "Read Below. "
Bad "Just about everything. Customer Service is the worst. "
Overall "Avoid at all costs. You'd be better off without any internet, phone, tv."

For the longest time we've had Knology. Since about 2008? Did what was needed, simple as that.

Then came along WOW. (It sure lives up to the name. Because WOW was all I can say.

As of right now my bill is $51.00. They have slowly increased the bill little by little. $2 dollars here. $7 dollars there..

Today I got my bill and it stated that I was going to be charged a rental fee for their Modem (which I was not renting)

SO I called customer service ofcouse to try and figure out why I was getting charged AGAIN for something stupid.

After a painful 10 mins going through the automated system which I gave my phone number and account number to. I finally was answered by a rude representative which asked me for the exact same information which I had previously gave to the robot. This was going great. *Sarcasm* After I gave her my information a second time. She finally was able to access my account.. all just to tell me that she could not help me and that she would have to contact tech support. (How wonderful) So I waited for about 5 mins to talk to Tech Support and they claimed that I was infact renting their modem and that they couldn't explain the reason why I was just now being charged for it. Then HUNG UP on me before I could say anything.. WOW.

Okay so about 5 mins later I called back and went through the same stuff with the robot and then finally another rude representative. I gave her the same EXACT information as I did the last time but she could not verify the account. So I got put on hold for awhile. Then she came back and asked for my Social. Now normally I don't like giving the social but I was fed up so I gave it to them. All but to no avail. I wasn't in the system. Okay.. so after some talking I asked for her Supervisor which she rudely told me that I was going to be put on hold again. When her supervisor got on the phone. She immediately asked for my information again which I gladly gave her. All to be told the same thing. So the only other SSN I had was my husbands which passed away 2 years ago and I already changed that information over to me. The supervisor told me that I had to bring the death certificate to their office and get it changed again. At this point I was done. I thanked her for helping me then hung up.

Never once have I been cut off so many times my customer service people. I swear about every 5 sentences she would stop long enough for me to get a few words in before the started going on and on again. Unbelieveable.

Their internet service cuts off randomly (which trips my home security alarm) and I have to reset everything to get it back to work. I called about this before but they had no explanation other than the router was bad. I bought a new NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual band router this year so it can't be that.

Just all in all awful service in just about everyway. I could write more but I'm currently looking for other services like Comcast or AT&T U-Verse.

Comments:

P P

@67.149.243.x

Pixellization, bad sound, no signal

Sound: sudden noise ("grrrrrr ...") in some programs
Panellization: Very often the picture freezes or brakes up into digital blocks
Losing all TV signals lately: "No signal" - phone and internet works.

The quality of the service is poor and getting worse. I switched service before and I will not have any problems to do so again.

Either bring the quality of your service up to par or you will lose me as a customer

Regards
Petr

Lizzr

@65.60.136.x

Re: Pixellization, bad sound, no signal

Having the same issues for the past few weeks. When I emailed customer service they said there were no reports of outages or other customers experiencing this issue.

Lately shows that I have set to record (all an hour long) will record 1, 5 or 9 minutes of the show, all pixelated. Considering the ability to record shows is a feature I'm paying for, I'm not happy.

I hope customer service will work with me on this issue, considering the poor service I'm experiencing is not an isolated issue, and that I'm not getting the service I'm paying 108 for (after an extra $4 increase this month).

If they refuse, I'll be complaining to BBB for not delivering on the product I paid for, wow executives, as well as my credit card company for the recent charge.

Review by slyphoxj See Profile

• Location: Brook Park,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Channel changing fast on HD boxes, smooth install, decent customer/tech support"
Bad "Some TV channels out, internet outages"
Overall "Stick with Time Warner unless TWC won't renew promo pricing"

·ObiVoice
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
UPDATE (10/19/14): I went back to TWC last month. I get a lot more channels and more TV features for the same price WOW was charging, although I did have to sacrifice my internet upload speed (went from 15/2 on WOW to 15/1 on TWC... I can live with it as long as TWC turns out to be more reliable in the coming months).

UPDATE (6/18/14): Had a few outages this month. I've had more issues with my internet than I have with any previous provider since I first got high speed internet back in 2001. On the verge of going back to Time Warner.

UPDATE (8/3/13): Since my last update, my WOW bill has gone up to ~$111. I called in a couple weeks ago and, without any hassle, got a $15/month for 1 year discount (restored the previous $10 discount that expired in November plus an additional $5/month to offset the $5 increase in my bundle price) and a $20 one-time credit. But.... last Tuesday morning (7/30/13) the TV started acting up again, going in and out, then at around 11:30 AM, both the TV and internet went out for a few minutes.

UPDATE (11/19/12): The "watchdog timer" issue with my cable modem's firmware appears to have been resolved... over 17 days uptime. Yay! Internet seems to be solid... I consistently score above 15/2 on speed test and pingtest.net rates my connection an "A".

But.......... still getting pixelation, freezing and, in the last couple days, outright outages on a number of the HD channels above 210 (no problems with the broadcast HD channels 200-208). On the verge of going back to Time Warner.

UPDATE (11/5/12): Still getting pixelation and freezing on some of the HD channels. Animal Planet HD was terrible on Saturday... picture paused every 2-3 seconds for a few minutes and sometimes froze (someone else posted in the WOW forum here that they experienced the same issue). My mom got a "Not Authorized" on the box in her room a little while ago while watching one of the cable news channels... I had to reboot the box to get out of that one. A firmware upgrade pushed down to my Scientific Atlanta DPC2100 caused a "watchdog timer" issue that caused my modem to reboot itself every couple days (looks like it's finally been resolved... been up over 3 days now... yaaay). And WOW changed their billing/admin system last week (right during the freakin' storm!)... some people are getting 40-70 minute wait times when calling in! Seriously considering jumping ship back to Time Warner at this point.

UPDATE: Getting occasional brief pixelation and sometimes audio dropouts for a couple seconds on some of the HD channels 210 and above (above the broadcast networks)... maybe signal level issues (haven't bothered yet to check before calling WOW).

Also I'm not getting the full upload since I was bumped from 15/1 to 15/2 (can't get any better than 1.8 Mbps upload). WOW_Dan on the WOW forum here on DSLR is aware of the issue and was able to reproduce it, so hopefully there will be a solution soon. But I'm not complaining... it was a free bump .

But otherwise... everything's OK.

If WOW were to bring the 8/1 back and charge $10/month less than the 15/2, I'd consider going back to the 8/1 and maybe also change out the HD box on my basement HDTV for a SD box and knock another $7/month off the bill if WOW would let me do that.

--- Original review ---

After reviewing our account, Time Warner offered a deal back in March 2009 for ~$83/month (raised to ~$88/month last summer) for digital basic TV with Showtime + 1 HD DVR box w/HD service + the SD digital box already installed + Road Runner Standard (8000(or was it 7000?)/512, upgraded to 10000/1000 a couple months ago) + cable modem. We took it. It was a nice upgrade from just 1 SD box for ~$68/month + AT&T 6000/768 DSL (really about 5000/650) for ~$35/month.

I called Time Warner about a month or two ago and they told me that this promo was set to expire at the end of August of this year (2011) and that the bill would be going up. If I remember right, one offer was for ~$105/month + taxes. We decided to wait. My mom then called them again about 2-3 weeks ago and the best they could offer for the services we had was ~$145/month... ouch!

So.... we decided to give WOW a call and see what they could offer. Their offer was in the neighborhood of $100/month. My mom told 'em to come out and hook us up. We got the Digital Value + 1 HD DVR box + 1 HD box + Xpress 8/1 internet + QAM SD box for ~$98/month guaranteed until 1/1/2013. Only one week till the installation... cool! The salesperson my mom spoke with mailed a sheet with the channel lineup with the Digital Value channels highlighted and services and pricing info written on it (he did this before my mom actually ordered). After my mom actually ordered service, the sales rep. mailed a copy of the work order with the pertinent info (services ordered, prices, etc.)... got this a couple days later.

Installation was yesterday (9/1/2011). The WOW installer (a contractor) showed up in the middle of the 1-3pm install window, hooked everything up and got everything working OK and did a nice, clean job with the wiring and new drop installation outside... even looks nicer than what Time Warner did when they hooked us up when we moved into this house back in 9/2009.

I'm using my old Motorola SB4200 modem that I used with Adelphia before I switched to AT&T DSL back in early 2006. WOW only supports DOCSIS 1.0 for this modem... I was only getting about 2500-3700 down with the Xpress 8/1, so I decided to save $10/month and downgrade to Xcite 2/1. I called about 11-11:30 last night... got right through to a friendly rep who immediately pushed the new speeds down to my modem. She told me the total bill with taxes, etc. would be ~$88/month... almost exactly what the TW bill was. I might get a newer modem and go back to the Xpress 8/1 again... haven't made up my mind yet.

What I like so far:

- The HD-DVR boxs so far are problem free... channel changing is MUCH faster than it was on the TW boxes. The TW Scientific Atlanta silver HD DVR box (SA8300?) was a piece of crap... took forever to change channels and had other issues that forced me to reboot it too often. The first TW HD-DVR box we had had a dead HDMI port.

- The picture quality of the 20 or so remaining analog (NTSC) channels is superb, better than the QAM basic channels.

- The channel lineup is easier to navigate... 3 digit channel numbers for the HD channels versus 4 digit numbers for the HD channels on TW

What I don't like so far:

- HD picture quality seems like it isn't as good as TW's

- I tried to call the WOW CS number before the install date to give them the MAC address of my modem. I was prompted to enter my phone number, then asked to confirm or reschedule the appointment, then it hung up on me!

Bottom line: For about the same price (within a buck), I'm getting much lower speeds (2/1 versus 10/1) then I did with TW and fewer channels (but not missing any I really care about), but WOW's HD boxes work much better, even if they have fewer features than TW's HD boxes.

I'll update this review if anything changes.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I hooked up my Motorola SB4200 modem the night before the switchover from TW -> WOW. It synced up and I saw "DOCSIS 1.1 registration complete" in the modem's log. TW supports DOCSIS 1.1 for this old modem, why can't WOW?

member for 12.4 years, 4180 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Ahddib See Profile

• Location: Decatur,Morgan,AL
Good "Internet was fairly reliable until the contract expired. Then service plummeted."
Bad "The customer service is terrible. "
Overall "Avoid at all costs in the Huntsville AL area. They bought out Knology and broke things."

It is impossible to describe the irony when a customer service representative states, "Now we're not calling you a liar, but..."

Yes, you did call me a liar, WOW. Twice.

An agent in the retention department stated that he reduced my bill to a $25 dollar per month plan to keep me from going to another company. This is pretty standard. However, the next bill I received was for $70 buckaroos. I immediately called Charter and ordered a service switch for a much better deal. The day I got Charter installed, tested, and working I called them up and asked them to cancel the service effective that day.

Apparently the CSR I spoke to didn't cancel the account AND they didn't even notate that I called. After getting the next bill for stupid lots of money I called and they said "Now we're not calling you a liar, but..." They backdated to the cost that the retention agent notated, which was $29.99. 4.99 more than I was told by that agent. Then they refused to backdate the cancellation of service to the date I no longer used them and called for cancellation. Anyone with a brain can check the logs to see if any data was transferred to or from the modem I had registered with them. They could then verify the service was indeed disconnected that day and presume that the customer is speaking truthfully.

So basically I was treated as a liar. I am monetarily punished for their incompetence. I'm not paying them the additional $4.99x2 and the additional time on the bill since the day I cancelled service. Credit be darned.

Also, usually hold times are stupid long even during off peak times. 45 minutes is unacceptable. Hire some people and treat them better than you did me.

Perhaps WOW provides good service elsewhere, but here in North AL where they just bought out the failing company Knology they are total garbage. I advise everyone to steer clear.

I believe the company works in cells or divisions based on location, at least that's the feeling I get from the website's structure. Hence I include the above disclaimer.

Comments:

Elgin Sad

@69.47.145.x

Agreed - Customer service combative....

I have had to deal with them a few times this year - most recently after 15 years they couldn't find my account and would not accept the same credit card I have been using for years. The CSR was combative, accusatory, and unpleasant. This has been the feeling I have gotten from them on most of my recent calls to them. Like biting aluminum foil with a metal filling.

Review by porfkat See Profile

• Location: Grovetown,Columbia,GA
Good "Quick and easy set up. Tech stuck around until all my systems worked"
Bad "Slow as molasses, high ping times, low bandwidth, high cost"
Overall "It's the only cable internet in Grovetown so you're stuck with it or the worse AT&T DSL"

The front office was nice and explained their services well. When I read the listing of internet speeds, I turned the sheet over and she interjected "those are the only speeds we have!" 16 up and 2 down is abysmal compared to what I'm used to with Cox and Bresnan in other towns I've lived--nearly a quarter of the bandwidth I'm used to for the price.

The technician was nice enough and stuck around to make sure my laptop, tablet and phone all worked.

Lines get congested and even trying to reach Google's front page can take forever to load on the weekends so I end up using Bing (shudder). Youtube can take forever to load continually buffers even low-def videos.

What else are you going to do in Grovetown? Use AT&T DSL? Good luck with that! The installer said that WOW was supposed to upgrade speeds last year but they pushed it to the end of 2014. So, hopefully we get that 25 or 50 Mbps like a decent ISP should provide these days.

Comments:

bigjohn767

@207.98.169.x

New Service

Looking for new service in the Harlem, GA area. WOW is the only cable provider. It took me 2 weeks to get in touch with a sales person on the costs. If tech support is anything like the sales dept., I'm afraid. I watch movies from Amazon all the time so satellite internet is not the answer. I guess I'll have to live with them until something better comes alone.
netwerp

join:2010-12-10
Evans, GA
·AT&T DSL Service

WowWay - what way?

I might go with them if their service delivers as promised but clueless about why they may not deliver since their prices seem to support Comcast and not WOWway. If they won't compete and their delivery is slow maybe Bell SE is a better choice. Or maybe even satellite for TV.

Review by Too Furious See Profile

• Location: Charleston,Charleston,SC

Horrible service. I pay twice as much for half the service I used to have with Comcast. I am only forced to use it because they are the only ones available in my current location. Can not wait to move or WOW goes out of business which ever comes first. With Comcast I paid $60.00 for 100 mps and I got 100 mps. With WOW I pay over $100 for 50 mps and I get 36 mps.

Comments:

disappointed

@68.209.230.x

horrible wifi and Apple TV service

i am so disappointed, i pay more for this service than i do on my power bill. i received an Apple TV with tons of movies to view, guess what? they wont, load, stream, directly from ipad, or computor.
i hate this cable network. not fair you should be allowed to choose providers in an apartment complex. i live in prattville. this stinks, i will tell anyone that listens

saraC

@24.214.159.x

WOW Internet

This has got to be the worst internet service provider I've ever had. Keeps cutting in and out and I constantly have to disconnect and reconnect to get anything done. Unreliable and disappointing.

darkoneisme

@107.47.49.x

horrible

It's horrible....my internet keeps going out/having only limited access to it. At first it was just the one time. Now it happens everyday. Now the cable is out too...and I know for a fact that its on their end because I checked everything all my equipment that's brand new and its fine.

Hate u WOW

@66.87.18.x

Terrible service

THE ABSOLUTE WORST WIFI INTERNET EVER CONCEIVED!!!!!! Will recommend to noone.

Review by kcrupp See Profile

• Location: Allen Park,Wayne,MI
Good "Ok service, Not so great price."
Bad "Their speeds and price are no longer competative"
Overall "They are falling behind the competion"

At a time when everybody else is offering higher speeds and upgrading their technology, WOW is doing the opposite. More money and bullshit fees for no added performance.

Comments:

Review by ClockerXP See Profile

• Location: Sterling Heights,Macomb,MI
Good "Not much- UltraTV is OK"
Bad "Not competitive on price/services ratio"
Overall "Great value."

Had to leave WOW because the deal from Comcast was just too good. With WOW I had UltraTV, 15/2 Internet and Essential Phone. With my promotion it was $116 but was about to go up to about $140 so I decided to check out what Comcast has again.

With Comcast I am getting 105/20 Internet, a whole lot more channels, a TON more On Demand, the new X1 Platform and better phone service that does not charge me long distance fees to call New York & Chicage....all for about $125 per month the first year and about $145 per month the 2nd year. Switching was a No Brainer!

I might come back to WOW if they become competitive with their price/services ratio.

Comments:

Review by fatheredpuma See Profile

• Location: Union City,Branch,MI
Good "Cable is... ok? I guess?"
Bad "WORST INTERNET EVER| REALLY LONG TIME TO GET BACK UP"
Overall "I'd recomend if you get it just go for there slowest package so you save more... since you will get the same speed"

Wow has some of the worst internet I have ever had.
We pay for 20 Mbps down 2 Mbps up.
We got about 1-ever since had at about 9 PM always went to 5 Mbps.

We called them they said "Its because many people get on"
Now for the past month the max speeds we get are 0.51-2 Mbps (and maybe 5 if lucky for about 10-20 seconds).

Haven't called them yet but I'd LOVE to hear what they say now!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv8qzIPQxe0

It says it all... just... it makes you WOW'd that they are still living with this...

We got the 20/2 package (that they dont advertise on there website around here O.o)
Wasn't there for the install proc.

A semi new modem came with it.

Comments:

gene r

@cox.net

wow

if wow is bad, you haven't had comcast, cox, or any other the dish networks. i find wow, quick, accurate, and good to deal with.