WOW Internet and Cable page on DSLReports

Review by John44 See Profile

• Location: Berkley,Oakland,MI
Good "It works I guess."
Bad "Next to everything"
Overall "WOW is horrible"

It nice to see other reviews confirming the nightmare that WOW Internet and Cable has become. I have been a customer for 10 years and lately their astonishing incompetence in customer service is beyond any customer service I have ever dealt with in any industry.

Long story as short as possible is that they have managed to charge me 3 shut off fees of $40 each in the month of January when I have made a $200 payment on January 15th. I receive a call from a collections person on Saturday trying to get the remaining balance and she is so over the top disgruntled and says there are no exceptions to not paying right this second she blocks something on my account to where I can't even talk to the initial cust services reps any more and the rep disconnected my service. I did not miss type that. The (second) disgruntled representative disconnected my account and scheduled a tech to come out and disconnect.

There are no words to describe the level incompetence from this customer service team. I have never experienced this level of ridiculousness, ever, with anything.

This is just the latest issue, I have notes I've typed in my computer documenting all the other ways they have screwed me around throughout the last year.

Oddly enough. I am actually trying to give this company my money to continue service because switching providers and entering into a new 2 year contract is something I don't want to deal with right now. WOW cable definitely exists in some bizarre corner of the twilight zone.

If there is any help anyone can offer to contact someone a manager or someone of authority who can help me directly at WOW in my area I would be grateful. Thank you.

Comments:

bella

wow cable

you won't get no where with customer service I just got cut of for fighting with them about my bill especially my phone bill and this has been going on for over a year of them charging me for call I never made and if you don't do what they want they cut you off. I had paid some bills twice. They only do what they want if they claim you owe a certain amount and you don't pay it you get cut off any way they can find they will cut you off. That is why I just let them cut me off even though I didn't even have no phone all not even a cell because these companies anymore do and say what they want the customer is never right any more and they can get away with it all and never have paid one red cent back to you it always credit on your bill or they just trash you credit and i am not going to keep on paying 2 or 3 or year over and over anymore. I am fed up that all these companies can get away with all this and never pay for it but let us do it and we go to jail and get our credit trash and threaten and I have had this happen to right at my house so be careful.

Mairie

Re: wow cable

They are like talking to robots. Don't bundle, then you are stuck for sure.

Mrs White

@spcsdns.net

Best Cable service

The cable Guy "Dana" that works for Wow is Great! We have had WOW since the beginning & we are very happy w/ our service.

The White Family
West Panama City Beach Florida

jean N

@73.8.111.x

wow in 60646

It would be nice if wow company would provide services here at Kilpatrick st. at 60646. I really hate Comcast provider, there service with their client in the phone has getting bad, and when they give you a deal or package, they said they will change it, but instead you get either the same plan or your bill gets high. They becoming deceiving with their customer, and I really don't like them, I will WOW company would cover this area

WOW HATER 99

Re: wow in 60646

I just have to say that wow is the worst cable in America!!

Review by an3951 See Profile

• Location: Brook Park,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Fast Install, Many option"
Bad "Works great as long as nothing serious goes wrong"
Overall "WOW Use to be a good company but that dramatically changed in 2014"

Back when I became a customer of WOW my bill was $54. In January of 2014 it had jumped to $141.

I have only had basic cable and internet so it isn't like I added premium services, but as of now I am done with paying high prices for crappy content. Not that it is all WOW's fault but over the years they kept adding channels (which they claimed enhanced it's service) but 90% of those channels were junk and virtually nobody watched them. Now it seems that much of the programming drivel is of low quality, full of scripted (so called) reality. I don't know how many channels are connected to basic cable but in the last year I only watch a total of six with three of them being the main network channels that come over the air for free. Because WOW introduced their $2 sports fee and doubled the network broadcast fee they have increased my bill another $9 a month, but they don't call it a price increase because it isn't part of their package deal. What a joke!

With January right around the corner and with another round of price hikes on their way I have dumped the video portion as a start. I plan on just getting the crappy content over-the-air for free.

I am sure that other cable providers are playing similar games so it isn't just WOW, it is the dirtiness of ALL of the cable providers that leads me to give up on all of them.

Say goodbye to another loyal customer that put up with your crap for 11 years paying you over $10,000 over the course of time. Tell me? Was it worth the $2 sports fee? Was it worth charging $7 for something that is given to the public for free? It would have been better that you buried those fees into your next price increase so people couldn't see how outrageous things have gotten.

WOW cable dumped on 12/05/2014 due to poor signal, rate increases and the lack of willingness to work with a loyal customer.

WOW just keeps ramming in home. I just got my bill and they charged me $50 because they sent a tech out to put a filter cap on the line. Heaven forbid I might be tempted to steal their poor quality video stream.

Everyone be aware of the games this company is playing. They don't seem to care how much negative attention it is collecting.

member for 14 years, 2854 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

Kirk

You need to contact Kirk who is the VP of the Cleveland System.

GlenEllyn

@wideopenwest.com

Similar Issue occurred for me...

... last December. Flakey daily internet service for 4-5 weeks. I rent their modem. I have phone service. Techs can check cable signal strength. If the is o.k. then most WoW techs are useless. In my decade of being with WoW, I found only one tech who was technically astute and customer service originated who actually diagnosed and fixed a problem. My problem eventually went away. I conjecture WoW network upgrades, load balance, etc. were taking place but no support personnel would even acknowledge that to be a possibility.

smith288

join:2005-02-07
Westerville, OH

Added useless channels

Most of those channels are forced on WOW by conglomerates like Disney to continue to have the right to show ESPN. It puts cable operators at a very extreme disadvantage when the costs go up but if they were to not carry the network, they would lose customers.

Imagine the outcry of OSU fans if Fox (who is majority owner of BTN) forced Fox Soccer on Wow! basic lineup even though Soccer doesnt get many eyes but if Wow! doesnt agree, then BTN is pulled from their basic lineup.

Ala carte seems like the answer but then networks you might like but aren't highly viewed channels wouldn't make it because they are propped up by network agreements like I explained above.

Customers just can't win and neither can cable operators against companies like Disney, Turner, Fox and movie channels.
anakin415

join:2014-11-17
Chicago, IL

Agreed

In Chicago South, we have 2 other options and satellite. Neither I would want to pay for. I certain markets it seems that WOW knows they have people stuck in a corner and are taking advantage of it.
an3951

join:2001-02-18
Brook Park, OH

Re: Agreed

Only way to win is not play their game. Everyone needs to weigh the cost they pay (Usually $100+) vs what that watch. I found I only watched 3 cable stations and a hand full of shows. It just isn't worth having video service anymore. Most things can be found (legally) for a lot less money.

wo2012

@CWRU.Edu

which one is better?

It seems that all tv providers are compete in one game - which one will better chit and rip off the customers! WOW that used to be the best company around now is leading in price increase, which is up to 40% a month! They do not care about losing half of their loyal customers...they will make it up by increasing 50% price for the rest.

Review by Cable pal See Profile

• Location: Arlington Heights,Cook,IL
Overall "What was once a good cable company is nothing now "

I have been a WOW customer from day one since they took over Ameritech but after many many years I have decided I am getting rid of cable due to recent 25% increase . I feel as a long time customer you will not offer me any other discounts is a joke and a slap in the face. I can order Sling when it comes out or get a dish but if you can't help me after being a customer from day one I have no respect for you or your company anymore.

member for 11.2 years, 91 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

overit

@23.28.141.x

Too many new charges

my wow went up $49.00 here in cleve ohio.. im looking for new

SUZE 2

increase

I am leaving too been a loyal customer and they would not ajust my bill at all

Review by RogueJawa See Profile

• Location: Canal Winchester,Franklin,OH
Good "Friendly customer support"
Bad "Dropped one of the main channels I had them for."
Overall "Internet is reliable, don't like their cable changes."

·Frontier Communi..
Update 01/17/15: Tech came today and swapped out my UltraTV equipment for an ARRIS branded modem. Not sure of the model. Speeds seem okay. Fire TV is going with no issues. He told me they introduced a new speed tier if I was at all interested, I'll take a look at it and see how much a month it is. Guy was nice, didn't try to talk me into keeping the UltraTV equipment.

Update 01/05/15: Will be going internet only in a little under two weeks. The order has been placed. They will come out and remove the UltraTV equipment, put a filter on the line to keep me from having video, and provision my modem. I'm debating on whether to buy the Motorola SB6141 or to just use a company modem. I heard from another user recently who was having issues getting their modem properly provisioned and it sounds like a nightmare.

Without modem rental and keeping the protection plan my bill will be $75 for 50/5. I upped my rating for Services/Value because they are giving special internet-only rates for customers and seem very willing to accommodate people who are upset over their recent channel changes. I lowered the rating for Pre Sales, though, because having spoke to a couple of different reps while trying to make my decision I was told by one I needed to drop my Ultra equipment off and just call to have my modem provisioned, then when I called to actually schedule the change I was told a technician needed to come out.. so.. there seems to be some inconsistency there. Not enough to make me lower it by a serious amount though.

I am still very displeased by the loss of BBC America but halving my bill like this will allow me to get season passes for those shows should Amazon offer them. Between that, antenna, Netflix, Hulu, and Prime Video I think I'm all set. Maybe I'll get Sling for ESPN when it launches. I'll put in another update once the install is done.

Update 12/26/14: One single decision has tanked my appreciation for this company: they are dropping BBC America on 12/31/14. As of 01/03/15 I will be internet only. I'll update again with my customer service experience in making that change and update my pricing.

Update 09/10/14:

It's been three months since my install and.. really I have no complaints that make me dislike my service. I do wish the WiFi signal reached a bit further and I wish they provided WatchESPN as part of their online TV offerings. Those are very minor things compared to the fact that I can stream music, video, online game without lag, while allowing my WiiU, PS4, Vita, and 3DS XL to automatically update without a single problem. I have about 9 devices connected via WiFi or Ethernet altogether and don't experience any problems. I have the 30/3 package and my speeds top out at around 30.24 Mbps and 3.23 Mbps. I almost want to upgrade to the 50/5 package just to say I have it even though I don't really need it.

I consider it a great value given the fact that AT&T's max speed for my apartment complex is 12 Mbps down and they want the same amount WOW is charging me for 30.

Picture is crystal clear. The GUI for the ARRIS Media Gateway is slow to respond once in a while. If that's my worst First World Problem I consider myself doing pretty well. I'm also pleased to see the addition of the NFL Network and NFL RedZone channels since the last time I had WOW.

Update 06/09/14 INSTALL:

My appointment was scheduled for between 0900-1100 hours. At 0908 I received an automated call informing me my technician would arrive at 0930. He was extremely prompt; arriving at 0930 on the dot. My technician was Corey and he was extremely polite. He asked me where I wanted each item placed and even ran the cables through the proper holes on the entertainment center to keep everything nice and neat. As I had their UltraTV service a year previously he updated me on the changes that took place, from software updates to hardware updates. He programmed both remotes, allowed me to choose my own SSID and WiFi password (I found this very impressive because it's the first time a provider has let me do so), and he was on his way.

He was barely here a half an hour; he was extremely efficient, he left nothing behind, and everything works beautifully. He even offered me longer ethernet cables for my PS4 and PC. As planned I have Digital Signature with Showtime, two media players, the gateway, and 30/3 internet. Speeds have hovered at around 28 Mbps down and 3.5-4 Mbps up on both Ookla and Speakeasy. Netflix streaming is crystal clear and my PS4's online features work flawlessly.

I'm very satisfied and it is well worth the price.

ORDER:

I previously had WOW when I lived in Columbus and now I'm moving back, after dealing with Frontier for 10 months I can't wait to have real internet again. There were definitely no complaints from me when the manager of the apartment complex I'm moving to told me I could choose from satellite, AT&T, or WOW Cable.

Setting service back up was easy. The CSR was extremely helpful, and didn't try to sell me anything I didn't need. She actually started to undersell me until I asked if they still offered their UltraTV service in the area. She told me they did and asked if I was interested. She set up my order with their Signature Cable w/UltraTV (I have to have BBC America and I was pleased to see the NFL Network back on their channel lineup), Showtime (more expensive than Dish, but I only plan to keep it long enough to finish out the season of Penny Dreadful), and 30 Mbps internet (this is going to be amazing after having 500 Kbps from Frontier). They had plenty of install times open on the day I wanted, I'm moving on a Sunday and I got an appointment early on Monday morning.

She took the time to explain every charge I would receive, which I was familiar with having been a former customer, but I think it's great they're that up front with their charges. I also think it's fantastic that she didn't immediately try to sell me more than the minimum she thought I would need until I asked about the advanced services. She was from Colorado, very friendly, and we chatted while she entered my order. It was great to be treated like I mattered, and I thought it was awesome when she thanked me for coming back as a customer. I'm genuinely happy to be coming back.

Once the install is complete I'll update this and finish my ratings. Heads up, I'm going to count my "Days from order to online" as "Days from move-in to online" because it wouldn't be fair if I put 22 days there. It isn't their fault I'm a control freak who likes to have everything squared away and ordered so early.

member for 1.5 years, 72 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Chad

@24.214.212.x

Wow Internet

Horrible service. I pay twice as much for half the service I used to have with Comcast. I am only forced to use it because they are the only ones available in my current location. Can not wait to move or WOW goes out of business which ever comes first.

RogueJawa

join:2013-08-15
Canal Winchester, OH

Re: Wow Internet

Sucks to be you I guess. I had them for several years when I lived in Columbus, OH and I can't wait to get them back. It will be interesting to see your Comcast reviews later because everyone I've ever spoken to that has it has hated them with a passion. They are among the most hated companies in America lol.
baess

join:2011-01-28

But you dumped cable

It seems funny to read your comment from May 2014 now that you have dumped cable due to WOW raising prices and dropping channels.

I have been with WOW since day one in my market but their business model at this point is ridiculous. Higher prices and less service isn't going to get them customers let alone keep the ones they have. Adding 110/5 without upgrading customers on any of their other packages was another slap in the face.

RogueJawa

join:2013-08-15
Canal Winchester, OH

Re: But you dumped cable

Yeah. I'm extremely disappointed. I consider that comment to be a reminder to never trust a company again. Prior to moving away for a year they were great. They were great when I came back, if a little expensive. Now in the span of 6 months they've gone to ridiculous.
JerryTimes

join:2002-01-09
Roseville, MI

Re: But you dumped cable

Review by Chonchko See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "First six years"
Bad "Tonight"
Overall "Amazing how one bad experience can ruin six years of positives, but it can. I would hesitate to come back."

Every time I look at negative reviews for ISPs, I always assume they're from people who have just one bad experience over the span of several years, and just decide to type up a negative review in their sudden anger. Well you know what? Today, that person is me.

I had WOW! for six years, ever since my wife and I moved into our own condo and we were able to make a choice (the previous six years I lived alone in apartments, I was forced to use Time Warner). We've never really had service issues, aside from the occasional glitch, but they were always corrected within the hour. Overall, I'd still have to say the service was pretty solid.

As can be expected, our prices went up annually. For the first few years, it wasn't really that noticeable. But once it started going over $100 (for cable and mid-range internet), I started getting concerned. A year ago, we talked them into upgrading us to Ultra TV for the same price we were paying ($89 plus tax). So then it went back up this year. We called last month (December, 2014) and were notified that they would once again be offering us $89 plus tax since we were with them for so long.

Then, in January, it was back up over $100. To make a very long, anger-inducing story short, we called to explain that we had just called the last month and were told that we would only be paying $89 for the next twelve months, a fact that was verified because it was in the "notes" section of our account. However, we were notified that prices went up as of January, and the customer service rep that offered that deal to us should have notified us that rates would once again be increasing. So essentially, the quote we were given not 30 days ago, was invalid. Were told to contact the cancellation department and, while the guy was much nicer, the result was still the same.

I'll admit that my wife and I absolutely lost our cool, and let loose a barrage of vulgarities once we were notified there was nothing they could do, but it was from a mix of alcohol, and complete shock that we were treated this way (not to sound rude, but this only applied to the rude foreigners we talked to first; the guy in the cancellation department was very nice). I mean, we have been late on payments MAYBE twice in six years, and have never had a problem talking them into cutting us some slack thanks to our ongoing loyalty.

So after six years of being with WOW!, we were given the shaft. Take it with a grain of salt if you want, but it's disgusting to think that we can cancel, go with another company for a month, then come back and be given a "new customer" deal that's far cheaper than what we were willing to pay even now, and they weren't willing to offer any compromises, aside from a one-time $50 credit. Whoop-de-doo.

Quite frankly, I'm appalled.

Comments:

Review by fatheredpuma See Profile

• Location: Union City,Branch,MI
Good "Cable is decent have a bit of freezes every couple of minutes on a few channels"
Bad "One of the worst internet providers"
Overall "Go for a different company at all costs (Unless satellite is only thing around you)"

Time to completely update this review and remove all that I had before (for the most part).

WOW has some decent internet. That is if you do not use internet from 7PM to 1 AM. At those times you can expect 1/3 what you pay for and the ability to only watch 360p videos and possibly 480p.

Their tech support seems to be... for them most part terrible. It took us all the way up until the neighbors next door installed WOW for them to find out (3rd time calling them) that some box was broken and even called while doing speed tests having many spots of -------- -------- -------x20 (Spaces = drops in the dl speed and upload and - resembles connected. Simpler version: The arrow falling and rising very fast as if it keeps loosing connected and drops the download speed).

If you just want them for the cheapest internet they provide and Cable they are decent... that is if you are ok with random freezes for about 4 seconds every minute or so.

member for 1 year, 33 visits, last login: 17 days ago

Comments:

gene r

@cox.net

wow

if wow is bad, you haven't had comcast, cox, or any other the dish networks. i find wow, quick, accurate, and good to deal with.

Review by Jezza819 See Profile

• Location: Huntsville,Madison,AL
Good "Easy to set up service calls, weekend service calls available"
Bad "Raise rates but delete channels, functionality of equipment needs to be better"
Overall "Stick with the larger companies, smaller doesn't mean better"

I'm an apartment dweller so I'm stuck with whoever has a contract with the complex. When I moved in here three years ago WOW was then called Knology. I was amazed at their lack of television choices. Only three HD premium movie channels. One HBO, one Showtime, and one Cinemax/Starz. Their HD programming in general was very poor. Their onscreen graphics for the guides were laughable. Looked like something right out of the early 80's.

About two years ago WOW bought out Knology with the promise that service and choice would improve. To their credit they did increase the number of HD channels. Now there are 20 HD movie channels and an overall increase in the total numbers of HD channels. I always get the best package except for the regional sports channels because I'm a big TV watcher. But I don't spend too much on the non HD channels.

Before I moved in here I was an Xfinity customer so I guess i was spoiled by their online guide interface. You could pick a listing, tell what other times it would be on even on other channels, set a reminder for later on that other channel. WOW doesn't have any of that. In fact if you have a box that doesn't have a DVR, early in the morning you don't even have a guide. You can hit the button for it on the remote then you have to wait for it to load. Then when you see it if you select a program and want to know something about it, you have to wait again for the description to load. You can't get a full guide with descriptions until later in the morning. To me in this day and age that is unforgivable.

They just had a pretty big rate increase three months ago of about $14 a month. But now in January of 2015 they have deleted some channels. They eliminated BBC America, AXStv, HDMovies, Univision and three others I can't remember the names of. Yes that's right. Perhaps the most widely followed cable program in the world, Dr. Who. They chose to eliminate. The most widely followed car show in the world, Top Gear. They chose to eliminate. Increase rates but eliminate choices, not cool. I was so disappointed when I moved in here to learn that this was a WOW complex. Three years later I'm still disappointed.

Comments:
anakin415

join:2014-11-17
Chicago, IL

Agreed

Completely agree!

gtopaul

@69.73.27.x

Re: Agreed

BBC America & AXStv gone and so will I in short order.

ubah

@knology.net

where is BBC

Yeah, get rid of two of the channels I watch, BBC and AxsTv. No more Dr. Who. I hate Comcast, but I might have to go that route.

Review by Soisauss See Profile

• Location: Newburgh,Warrick,IN
Good "Once a GREAT company"
Bad "Price rises on a whim"
Overall "If you had to chose between TWC and WOW right this moment, TWC"

1/4/15 - As of this day I will be dropping WOW! service after 7 great years of service set to disconnect on the 19th, why? When your price is no longer competitive and customer service gives you the bird, it's time to go.

Since moving to indiana we have always been a WOW! customer, excellent pricing and service. Over the last few months, things have started to become worst, like big cable company worst. My comfortable price of $85 (was $56) for basic cable and 15mb internet with my own modem has now been raised to $106, a HUGE JUMP in 6 months time. I've called several time to ask customer service if there's any discount they can apply ( I know they do), but they simply gave me a one time discount of 15 dollar bringing my price down to $91, which I gladly accepted. I have now called back and they simply gave me the "screw you" attitude and for that I am canning them.

Considering this for a fact, TWC (despite some reviews and such) I can get the same stuff that I got from wow for $68 bucks if I supply my own modem....UMMM, HELLO?!?! IS this price real-life?!?! YUP~!!! So after 7 years of being a loyal customer for both residential AND BUSINESS, yes, I do have service with WOW as a business member and may very well be canned as well, it's time to move on. My money, my decision.

Comments:

Review by UiscePreston See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "The cable and internet quality is good and reliable"
Bad "Fiddling with the price too much. Customer service not so WOW anymore."
Overall "WOW went from great to being just another cable company."

My love affair with WOW has come to an end as of this week. And I have been a devout customer for a decade or more. But apparently that means nothing to them because they have basically eliminated the loyalty discount per a policy change. Whenever my discounts have expired in the past, it has never been a problem to call them up and have them reinstate the discounts and/or reconfigure the bundle to get the price back down to roughly where it used to be. Not anymore. Instead the best they can do is give me the "new customer deal" - a whopping $5 off. Or as I was tersely informed: I could downgrade my service.

But the good news is, as I was repeatedly told, that my "bundle price is guaranteed until 2016" - which means nothing because they can simply add miscellaneous fees and/or reduce discounts here and there at their whim. So instead of having a manageable bill, it just jumped $12 dollars a month over the last ten weeks - for the exact same service. And their response was essentially "thanks for the extra money". This from what used to be one of the most conscientious customer service departments for a telecom. Did they hire all the laid-off Insight drones? Because I am not happy with the AT&T/Comcast/TWC vibe I got from my last call to WOW.

While I have no complaints about my Ultra TV (unlike what seems to be the majority) and the unlimited 30 megaBIT internet is reliable 95% of the time, a surprise 10%+ hike in my overall bill because of some unannounced (internal) policy change is fairly shady. Especially when it targets their long-standing customer base. If this is how WOW wants to treat those who have stuck with them through all the shifts in the competition, then clearly it might be time to ditch cable.

Comments:

Review by ChrisCars See Profile

• Location: Evansville,Vanderburgh,IN
Good "The internet seems to be more reliable than the other guy"
Bad "Everything has seemed to gone down hill in the past year and a half"
Overall "I wouldn't recommend them "

So here in Evansville they price themselves like the other guys but they don't have as many features. I used to like them because they were a bit cheaper and great customer service even though I didn't get the new channels of apps. They keep raising prices, the only alternative that can get the speeds that I need is Time Warner and I have no desire to do business with them. I will be dropping cable within 12 months. I am keeping it now because they messed up and quoted me prices wrong when I got this installed and I ended up getting whole house dvr with 3 boxes and 15 mb internet for 120 as of now, it used to be less but they keep adding random fees. They tried to charge me over 160 for it but they messed up and quoted me wrong so gave it for me for this price for two years after several calls. When this price after two years falls off then so does this expensive cable and I go to net only.

I don't have that many problem with the internet. This modem/router for whole home DVR sucks but that will go away in a year and I'll buy my own. I am now using my own router with it but still have issues since I have to keep some things enabled for home dvr to work. I switched to Time Warner for a short time and came back because I got speeds of under 10 mbs constantly on my 20 MB plan and anytime I called I was told it was peak time usage. I don't see that many dips on WOW in my area.

Comments:

realG4life

@172.56.1.x

wow sucks

Every time you are wachin something on the best part get freezz I think I goin to change to dish Latino.