WOW Internet and Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Ahddib See Profile

• Location: Decatur,Morgan,AL
Good "Internet was fairly reliable until the contract expired. Then service plummeted."
Bad "The customer service is terrible. "
Overall "Avoid at all costs in the Huntsville AL area. They bought out Knology and broke things."

It is impossible to describe the irony when a customer service representative states, "Now we're not calling you a liar, but..."

Yes, you did call me a liar, WOW. Twice.

An agent in the retention department stated that he reduced my bill to a $25 dollar per month plan to keep me from going to another company. This is pretty standard. However, the next bill I received was for $70 buckaroos. I immediately called Charter and ordered a service switch for a much better deal. The day I got Charter installed, tested, and working I called them up and asked them to cancel the service effective that day.

Apparently the CSR I spoke to didn't cancel the account AND they didn't even notate that I called. After getting the next bill for stupid lots of money I called and they said "Now we're not calling you a liar, but..." They backdated to the cost that the retention agent notated, which was $29.99. 4.99 more than I was told by that agent. Then they refused to backdate the cancellation of service to the date I no longer used them and called for cancellation. Anyone with a brain can check the logs to see if any data was transferred to or from the modem I had registered with them. They could then verify the service was indeed disconnected that day and presume that the customer is speaking truthfully.

So basically I was treated as a liar. I am monetarily punished for their incompetence. I'm not paying them the additional $4.99x2 and the additional time on the bill since the day I cancelled service. Credit be darned.

Also, usually hold times are stupid long even during off peak times. 45 minutes is unacceptable. Hire some people and treat them better than you did me.

Perhaps WOW provides good service elsewhere, but here in North AL where they just bought out the failing company Knology they are total garbage. I advise everyone to steer clear.

I believe the company works in cells or divisions based on location, at least that's the feeling I get from the website's structure. Hence I include the above disclaimer.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

Elgin Sad

@69.47.145.x

Agreed - Customer service combative....

I have had to deal with them a few times this year - most recently after 15 years they couldn't find my account and would not accept the same credit card I have been using for years. The CSR was combative, accusatory, and unpleasant. This has been the feeling I have gotten from them on most of my recent calls to them. Like biting aluminum foil with a metal filling.

Review by slyphoxj See Profile

• Location: Brook Park,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Channel changing fast on HD boxes, smooth install, decent customer/tech support"
Bad "Some TV channels out, internet outages"
Overall "Stick with Time Warner unless TWC won't renew promo pricing"

·ObiVoice
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
UPDATE (6/18/14): Had a few outages this month. I've had more issues with my internet than I have with any previous provider since I first got high speed internet back in 2001. On the verge of going back to Time Warner.

UPDATE (8/3/13): Since my last update, my WOW bill has gone up to ~$111. I called in a couple weeks ago and, without any hassle, got a $15/month for 1 year discount (restored the previous $10 discount that expired in November plus an additional $5/month to offset the $5 increase in my bundle price) and a $20 one-time credit. But.... last Tuesday morning (7/30/13) the TV started acting up again, going in and out, then at around 11:30 AM, both the TV and internet went out for a few minutes.

UPDATE (11/19/12): The "watchdog timer" issue with my cable modem's firmware appears to have been resolved... over 17 days uptime. Yay! Internet seems to be solid... I consistently score above 15/2 on speed test and pingtest.net rates my connection an "A".

But.......... still getting pixelation, freezing and, in the last couple days, outright outages on a number of the HD channels above 210 (no problems with the broadcast HD channels 200-208). On the verge of going back to Time Warner.

UPDATE (11/5/12): Still getting pixelation and freezing on some of the HD channels. Animal Planet HD was terrible on Saturday... picture paused every 2-3 seconds for a few minutes and sometimes froze (someone else posted in the WOW forum here that they experienced the same issue). My mom got a "Not Authorized" on the box in her room a little while ago while watching one of the cable news channels... I had to reboot the box to get out of that one. A firmware upgrade pushed down to my Scientific Atlanta DPC2100 caused a "watchdog timer" issue that caused my modem to reboot itself every couple days (looks like it's finally been resolved... been up over 3 days now... yaaay). And WOW changed their billing/admin system last week (right during the freakin' storm!)... some people are getting 40-70 minute wait times when calling in! Seriously considering jumping ship back to Time Warner at this point.

UPDATE: Getting occasional brief pixelation and sometimes audio dropouts for a couple seconds on some of the HD channels 210 and above (above the broadcast networks)... maybe signal level issues (haven't bothered yet to check before calling WOW).

Also I'm not getting the full upload since I was bumped from 15/1 to 15/2 (can't get any better than 1.8 Mbps upload). WOW_Dan on the WOW forum here on DSLR is aware of the issue and was able to reproduce it, so hopefully there will be a solution soon. But I'm not complaining... it was a free bump .

But otherwise... everything's OK.

If WOW were to bring the 8/1 back and charge $10/month less than the 15/2, I'd consider going back to the 8/1 and maybe also change out the HD box on my basement HDTV for a SD box and knock another $7/month off the bill if WOW would let me do that.

--- Original review ---

After reviewing our account, Time Warner offered a deal back in March 2009 for ~$83/month (raised to ~$88/month last summer) for digital basic TV with Showtime + 1 HD DVR box w/HD service + the SD digital box already installed + Road Runner Standard (8000(or was it 7000?)/512, upgraded to 10000/1000 a couple months ago) + cable modem. We took it. It was a nice upgrade from just 1 SD box for ~$68/month + AT&T 6000/768 DSL (really about 5000/650) for ~$35/month.

I called Time Warner about a month or two ago and they told me that this promo was set to expire at the end of August of this year (2011) and that the bill would be going up. If I remember right, one offer was for ~$105/month + taxes. We decided to wait. My mom then called them again about 2-3 weeks ago and the best they could offer for the services we had was ~$145/month... ouch!

So.... we decided to give WOW a call and see what they could offer. Their offer was in the neighborhood of $100/month. My mom told 'em to come out and hook us up. We got the Digital Value + 1 HD DVR box + 1 HD box + Xpress 8/1 internet + QAM SD box for ~$98/month guaranteed until 1/1/2013. Only one week till the installation... cool! The salesperson my mom spoke with mailed a sheet with the channel lineup with the Digital Value channels highlighted and services and pricing info written on it (he did this before my mom actually ordered). After my mom actually ordered service, the sales rep. mailed a copy of the work order with the pertinent info (services ordered, prices, etc.)... got this a couple days later.

Installation was yesterday (9/1/2011). The WOW installer (a contractor) showed up in the middle of the 1-3pm install window, hooked everything up and got everything working OK and did a nice, clean job with the wiring and new drop installation outside... even looks nicer than what Time Warner did when they hooked us up when we moved into this house back in 9/2009.

I'm using my old Motorola SB4200 modem that I used with Adelphia before I switched to AT&T DSL back in early 2006. WOW only supports DOCSIS 1.0 for this modem... I was only getting about 2500-3700 down with the Xpress 8/1, so I decided to save $10/month and downgrade to Xcite 2/1. I called about 11-11:30 last night... got right through to a friendly rep who immediately pushed the new speeds down to my modem. She told me the total bill with taxes, etc. would be ~$88/month... almost exactly what the TW bill was. I might get a newer modem and go back to the Xpress 8/1 again... haven't made up my mind yet.

What I like so far:

- The HD-DVR boxs so far are problem free... channel changing is MUCH faster than it was on the TW boxes. The TW Scientific Atlanta silver HD DVR box (SA8300?) was a piece of crap... took forever to change channels and had other issues that forced me to reboot it too often. The first TW HD-DVR box we had had a dead HDMI port.

- The picture quality of the 20 or so remaining analog (NTSC) channels is superb, better than the QAM basic channels.

- The channel lineup is easier to navigate... 3 digit channel numbers for the HD channels versus 4 digit numbers for the HD channels on TW

What I don't like so far:

- HD picture quality seems like it isn't as good as TW's

- I tried to call the WOW CS number before the install date to give them the MAC address of my modem. I was prompted to enter my phone number, then asked to confirm or reschedule the appointment, then it hung up on me!

Bottom line: For about the same price (within a buck), I'm getting much lower speeds (2/1 versus 10/1) then I did with TW and fewer channels (but not missing any I really care about), but WOW's HD boxes work much better, even if they have fewer features than TW's HD boxes.

I'll update this review if anything changes.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I hooked up my Motorola SB4200 modem the night before the switchover from TW -> WOW. It synced up and I saw "DOCSIS 1.1 registration complete" in the modem's log. TW supports DOCSIS 1.1 for this old modem, why can't WOW?

member for 12.2 years, 4085 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by porfkat See Profile

• Location: Grovetown,Columbia,GA
Good "Quick and easy set up. Tech stuck around until all my systems worked"
Bad "Slow as molasses, high ping times, low bandwidth, high cost"
Overall "It's the only cable internet in Grovetown so you're stuck with it or the worse AT&T DSL"

The front office was nice and explained their services well. When I read the listing of internet speeds, I turned the sheet over and she interjected "those are the only speeds we have!" 16 up and 2 down is abysmal compared to what I'm used to with Cox and Bresnan in other towns I've lived--nearly a quarter of the bandwidth I'm used to for the price.

The technician was nice enough and stuck around to make sure my laptop, tablet and phone all worked.

Lines get congested and even trying to reach Google's front page can take forever to load on the weekends so I end up using Bing (shudder). Youtube can take forever to load continually buffers even low-def videos.

What else are you going to do in Grovetown? Use AT&T DSL? Good luck with that! The installer said that WOW was supposed to upgrade speeds last year but they pushed it to the end of 2014. So, hopefully we get that 25 or 50 Mbps like a decent ISP should provide these days.

member for 109 days, 4 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

bigjohn767

@207.98.169.x

New Service

Looking for new service in the Harlem, GA area. WOW is the only cable provider. It took me 2 weeks to get in touch with a sales person on the costs. If tech support is anything like the sales dept., I'm afraid. I watch movies from Amazon all the time so satellite internet is not the answer. I guess I'll have to live with them until something better comes alone.
netwerp

join:2010-12-10
Evans, GA
·AT&T DSL Service

WowWay - what way?

I might go with them if their service delivers as promised but clueless about why they may not deliver since their prices seem to support Comcast and not WOWway. If they won't compete and their delivery is slow maybe Bell SE is a better choice. Or maybe even satellite for TV.

Review by Too Furious See Profile

• Location: Charleston,Charleston,SC

Horrible service. I pay twice as much for half the service I used to have with Comcast. I am only forced to use it because they are the only ones available in my current location. Can not wait to move or WOW goes out of business which ever comes first. With Comcast I paid $60.00 for 100 mps and I got 100 mps. With WOW I pay over $100 for 50 mps and I get 36 mps.

Comments:

disappointed

@68.209.230.x

horrible wifi and Apple TV service

i am so disappointed, i pay more for this service than i do on my power bill. i received an Apple TV with tons of movies to view, guess what? they wont, load, stream, directly from ipad, or computor.
i hate this cable network. not fair you should be allowed to choose providers in an apartment complex. i live in prattville. this stinks, i will tell anyone that listens

saraC

@24.214.159.x

WOW Internet

This has got to be the worst internet service provider I've ever had. Keeps cutting in and out and I constantly have to disconnect and reconnect to get anything done. Unreliable and disappointing.

darkoneisme

@107.47.49.x

horrible

It's horrible....my internet keeps going out/having only limited access to it. At first it was just the one time. Now it happens everyday. Now the cable is out too...and I know for a fact that its on their end because I checked everything all my equipment that's brand new and its fine.

Hate u WOW

@66.87.18.x

Terrible service

THE ABSOLUTE WORST WIFI INTERNET EVER CONCEIVED!!!!!! Will recommend to noone.

Review by kcrupp See Profile

• Location: Allen Park,Wayne,MI
Good "Ok service, Not so great price."
Bad "Their speeds and price are no longer competative"
Overall "They are falling behind the competion"

At a time when everybody else is offering higher speeds and upgrading their technology, WOW is doing the opposite. More money and bullshit fees for no added performance.

member for 12.6 years, 4181 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ClockerXP See Profile

• Location: Sterling Heights,Macomb,MI
Good "Not much- UltraTV is OK"
Bad "Not competitive on price/services ratio"
Overall "Great value."

Had to leave WOW because the deal from Comcast was just too good. With WOW I had UltraTV, 15/2 Internet and Essential Phone. With my promotion it was $116 but was about to go up to about $140 so I decided to check out what Comcast has again.

With Comcast I am getting 105/20 Internet, a whole lot more channels, a TON more On Demand, the new X1 Platform and better phone service that does not charge me long distance fees to call New York & Chicage....all for about $125 per month the first year and about $145 per month the 2nd year. Switching was a No Brainer!

I might come back to WOW if they become competitive with their price/services ratio.

member for 13.3 years, 1122 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by fatheredpuma See Profile

• Location: Union City,Branch,MI
Good "Cable is... ok? I guess?"
Bad "WORST INTERNET EVER| REALLY LONG TIME TO GET BACK UP"
Overall "I'd recomend if you get it just go for there slowest package so you save more... since you will get the same speed"

Wow has some of the worst internet I have ever had.
We pay for 20 Mbps down 2 Mbps up.
We got about 1-ever since had at about 9 PM always went to 5 Mbps.

We called them they said "Its because many people get on"
Now for the past month the max speeds we get are 0.51-2 Mbps (and maybe 5 if lucky for about 10-20 seconds).

Haven't called them yet but I'd LOVE to hear what they say now!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv8qzIPQxe0

It says it all... just... it makes you WOW'd that they are still living with this...

We got the 20/2 package (that they dont advertise on there website around here O.o)
Wasn't there for the install proc.

A semi new modem came with it.

Comments:

gene r

@cox.net

wow

if wow is bad, you haven't had comcast, cox, or any other the dish networks. i find wow, quick, accurate, and good to deal with.

Review by SC See Profile

• Location: Dearborn,Wayne,MI
Good "No need to hassle on price or contracts"
Bad "Download speeds consistently under-perform during peak usage days/hours"
Overall "Go elsewhere if you can afford a better managed data network"

Update--I ended up switching to AT&T U-Verse. The switching experience itself was painful, but worth it. Installing AT&T 45/6 "Power" the first month then just downgraded to Max Plus. This ensured professional installation and a quality RG

------
I've been a customer for over a year, streaming Amazon movies, etc (no cable). The price is fair, but if you're a new customer, realize that they can't do much for you when you need them.

I currently have the 15/1 Package and am noticing slowing of download speeds over the past few weeks--coinciding with the holidays when more neighbors are home. A new cable modem and upgrading to 30/3 didn't help. The only thing their customer service can do (they know this themselves) is offer to send a tech out--wasting their own resources because the line signal is clean.

The issue is that their network management can't handle the bandwidth promises. Switching back to Comcast next week is the plan.

Comments:

Brine

@comcast.net

WOW to Comcast ?

i'm Ditching Comcast for WOW, because supposedly WOW has no monthly bandwidth cap.
Comcast has a 300GB per month ( 10GB per day ) usage policy, with streaming you will
eat that up so fast. also on principle i refuse to do business with a company that has limitations
on something that should be 'unlimited' the fact that they hide the bandwidth cap from new
consumers is sneaky too, you really have to dig to find any information on it...
and its even more difficult to find out where you're at for the month...

midmichigan

@wideopenwest.com

Re: WOW to Comcast ?

As a wow customer DON'T DO IT.Been having problems with their service now for over a year. Wow mantaince has checked my house and at the pole outside and all good. Their problems all started back in 2010 have only gotten worse over the years due to out dated eqiutment. PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. WOW IS AN EXPERIENCE ALL RIGHT A VERY BAD ONE.

pissed off

@wideopenwest.com

Re: WOW to Comcast ?

I'm in Illinois and having problems with WOW for over a year with no resolution in site! Numerous reps in and out, rewired house, had a truck sitting in my driveway for hours watching for problems. Still have the same thing! was told to keep a diary so they could backtrack - I ran out of space! We have had WOW since it came to Schaumburg Ill. No problems till digital change over. am sitting here now watching my dvr box turn itself on and off, reboot, had signal sent 5 times, and nothing on the screen! it is now 55 minutes into "on hold" for someone to talk to. caller ID on tv left days ago and can't get it back. I don't know what happened to WOW but it has become the next COMCAST which I tried and dumped! and yes, they changed the programs and offered nothing in exchange yet the price stayed the same! now have to pay for Starz and Encore additionally. I think Ms. Abdoula, CEO, should spend some time going thru complaints instead of doing her pathetic tv adds!

satisfied

@sbcglobal.net

Re: WOW to AT&T U verse ?

We had wow for 13 yrs swicthed to att uverse, dropped wow when told starz and encore would be gone, felt that this was a start of more downgrades and price would stay the same. with att we get 3 dvr for same price that wow chatged us 2 digital receviers I like that we can eliminate all cables running through the house.

Review by vegnibble See Profile

• Location: Charleston,Charleston,SC
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (36 month contract)
Bad "Broken/Dropped Packets"
Overall "Do not use - Avoid"

THis ISP purchased Knowlogy (bankrupt). Thier interfacees 4-6 hops out have significant dropes (>12%) which results in session resets

Comments:

Review by syslock See Profile

• Location: La La Land
Good "All the CSR's have been great to speak with. "
Bad "High packet loss and very slow speeds. Outages in my area every 2 weeks or so since signing up. Installers were jerks."
Overall "Physical plant needs some major work/rebuilt in this small town."

Moved to an area not serviced by the big players in the cable arena.
My choices for Internet are DSL, WISP, and WOW.
Now talking with some of the other players in my area as WOW is failing
big time. I am subscribed to the 15mb package and I'm lucky I can get 2/4mb down.

Every 2 weeks or any time it rains, there is an outage in my area.
Every time I need to get something done on-line the service is down.

I know my other options will be slower to connect, but if their down time
is better, I'm going to have to switch as the constant outages in my area
are a joke.

I'm not going to continue to pay for services that are not available
every time I need to use them.

member for 7.6 years, 1475 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Dwddoc

@sbcglobal.net

Failure with service

Having been a wow customer for over 12 years and overall been quite satisfied with the service until NOW. The service has gone downhill since Abdullah took over the Michigan region. I'm leaving them do to costs(retiring) but I want to keep my phone numbers. The frustration has gone on now for 6 weeks with one lie after another between them and the new carrier(I'm also not satisfied with them for the same reasons---the lies). I am only trying to port two business numbers to less expensive options, one to ringcentral(a fax) and the other I'll be porting to a cell once the nightmare ends. The organization in the wow business department is disgusting, you make a call, get lied to and of course when you call back angry you get another person that knows nothing about the previous lies. If I ran my business that way I'd have gone out of business long ago.