WOW Internet and Cable page on DSLReports

Review by computerman2 See Profile

• Location: Rockwood,Wayne,MI
Good "Excellent Service"
Bad "None that I noticed"
Overall "Great Service"

·AT&T Midwest
I'm Very Happy with my WOW(Wideopenwest) Internet Service and Cable Television, been using it over a year now, and just upgraded recently to Advanced package--which is even better than original package I was on(original package was 500kbps download and 300 upload)
When WOW does maintenance, it's never too long of an outage..and they very rarely do much maintenance in my side of town.
All in All this is the best ever Internet and Cable Company I've ever used--Comcast I had prior to Wideopenwest, and couldn't online game at all with it, or do much of anything...

Wideopenwest(WOW) Just keeping improving, and you'll always have a happy customer here

Due to Moving in January 2005--Had to Cancel WideOpenWest Service, since was not available in Gibraltar Michigan, So Hopefully the service is still working as well as when i left it, and if does ever come available in Gibraltar Michigan, may check it out

January 11th 2014, Resigned up with WOW Cable and Internet, and Phone, Service been very reliable not many outages except one. Original install was on time, and went perfectly, minus a few problems, that a Tech just solved yesterday 4/12/2013. Gaming Online excellent, Download speed and upload speed excellent, I do much more online than in 2004/2005 when I last had WOW internet. Nowadays I use SKype voice over ip more, online game, stream music/videos, etc.

Arris Gateway works great, Ultra TV service is a very nice feature

member for 12 years, 1970 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by CrippleFight See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Speed"
Overall "Great Speed at a Great Price"

·AT&T Southeast
works great

member for 12.7 years, 2347 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by cc850 See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "Cablecard in HDHomeRun actually works with NPVR for HD"
Bad "It wasn't easy!"
Overall "Only game in town without "copy once" on cablecard basic hd"

I am running my own DVR system (NPVR) and wanted some HD channels. Ordered "digital basic" plus HD, along with 15/2 internet. Had Time Warner for non-cablecard and intenet - prices crept up and the only way to go cablecard with them is with WMC, which is difficult to extend to multiple TVs

Happy so far - using my own older modem which is OK - at night the speeds test a bit low. TV is good - you need a tech that knows cablecard or work with "WOW_dan" on the forums here to get it all going. Pricing good for 24 months, too. Only had this a week, so time will tell.

Comments:
brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ

Columbus needs better competiton

I honestly think all cable options suck in Columbus, after getting out and seeing a properly built network from Cox (as much as i hate their CS) i actually feel bad for people in Columbus stuck with WOW and TWC.

Insight had a great system in digital areas, although i'd hate to see what TWC has done to them since the buyout - i honestly think they're the only cable provider who ever over-delivered on what they promised there, got the bill right, and was quick to fix things

Review by HonzaIL See Profile

• Location: Naperville,Dupage,IL
Good "No caps, generally works just fine, rare outages where I live. Good field techs. "
Bad "Phone support has little clue about what they are talking about. Not much needed, so OK. "
Overall "I have Internet only... My choice here: ATT, Comcast, WOW - WOW wins hands down."

Went from ATT to WOW when ATT instituted caps. WOW installation went fine - quick and easy, guy actually knew what he is doing. Recall one or two outages in ~5 years we have WOW. I had not problems getting ONLY Internet, ATT did not want to give me Internet only package (at that time)...

Their modems seem to work reasonably well (this is my second, upgraded the old one to get higher speed), did not have any performance issues. Rarely need reboot.

Similar cost as ATT but better speed and mainly reliability for me.

Have only Internet (no phone or cable TV). Pay for 30/3 Mbps and even at peak time get ~30Mbps/3Mbps. Have my main phone through independent VOIP service, run constantly Skype, use streaming TV - and digital antenna TV broadcast. Most cost efficient setup I could devise.

For me, NO caps were main requirement (3 heavy net users under one roof), reliability, and reasonable performance at all times... Cannot complain, get all I pay for from them. Best value for me I can find here.

Comments:

Review by cfour See Profile

• Location: Montgomery,Montgomery,AL
Good "Fairly reliable and improving. Great service."
Bad "Falling behind Charter and no catching up in sight."
Overall "Cable channels better meet my needs."

Original package from Knology which WOW bought out with promises of providing better option, pricing and service. (Fat chance). 12 Mb internet, expanded digital cable w/DVR and unlimited phone CONUS. Connect-up was quick and easy with good reliabilty. DVR/cable boxes vary from Motorola to Cisco. DVR/Cable boxes seem to suffer from overheating. Units will lose sync, setup and fail completely. I am on my third box. I installed a "chill pad" on the last two and still have the same problems with all makes. I have two cable boxes on line and only the DVR cable box has to be reset by tech support about twice a year. Service is prompt and courteous all the time. Every tech seems well trained and knowledgeable. WOW has thus far not made any negative changes. Internet speed just in the last two months will show upwards on 20Mbs but will quickly drop down to around 12MBs. Since Charter has been at 30Mbs for nearly two years and is now pushing out to 60Mbs, maybe WOW will give more speed. I doubt they will ever reach Charters speeds but the competition is nice.

Comments:

lwout65

@wideopenwest.com

Dumped Comcast for WOW and sorry.

My experience with Wow has been horrific all this new equipment and nothing works.Sure they will send someone out and get it running for the rest of the day "maybe" but its guaranteed not to work the following day. Then they lose a contract with stars and encore which was part of my 24 month bundle 7 months in and tell me they can not add different channels HBO or anything else to fill the gap and tell me the bill will remain the same.

I am already dealing with unable to rent any movies because this gateway thing is junk half the channels we want to watch will not broadcast and your lucky if the DVR records anything.
Excuse my rant but Wide open west SUCKS.

Review by efk See Profile

• Location: Westlake,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Reliable connection and speed; responsive support; no hidden fees"
Bad "SLA not as thorough as some others"
Overall "Excellent value, friendly and prompt service"

50/5 cable service ordered with install completed in about 10 days. Very friendly and helpful salesperson who was open and honest about policies. She answered all of my questions or quickly found somebody who could.

They accommodated my request for a WAN IP that was not on the same subnet as my DMZ IP's. After a couple months of reliable service, they allowed me to change my service from month-to-month to a yearly contract at a reduced rate.

Dec. 2013
I've had service for approximately 6 months now. It has been very reliable with speeds consistently at 50/5 during random speed tests. Customer service remains very helpful on the rare occasions that I've needed them. Overall, the best ISP I've had to deal with in 15 years.

Comments:

Review by sanoja See Profile

• Location: Streamwood,Cook,IL
Good "Reliability, Speed, Price"
Overall "I am glad I switched! - Update -> I still love it!"

I have had WOW Internet/Phone/Cable for over a year now. I pay $99 a month for all three.

I switched from Comcast because I had many problems with my Internet service going down or performing at modem speeds. I had Comcast technicians come in at least 5 times to look into it and none were able to fix it. A couple, expressed frustration with the techs at the NOC not being much help in helping diagnose / fix the issues.

The WOW install was performed on time as scheduled, within a week from my order.

The funny part was that the WOW technician immediately found the problem I had with Comcast. It seems squirrels had been chewing on the cable from the pole to my home. So bad that there was quite a bit of the wire exposed.

After a year, I have had no down time (Knock on wood). I lie, maybe once I month, it goes down for less than 5 minutes, what seems to be a cable modem reboot. No longer than that.

So far I am very pleased with the service and I am glad I switched. I recommended it to my mother and girlfriend. They also seem to be trouble free so far (believe me I would have heard about it if it was not).

Update: 5 Years later, I am still very happy with WOW. Now, I only have Internet and am paying $57. Worth it. Very dependable.

Comments:

John

@comcastbusiness.net

WOW?

I'm in Chicago and I've never heard of this "WOW" company before. Guessing suburbs only?

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Saint Clair Shores, MI

Bottom line service?

You must have basic/low end everything. Just a guess. For some (like me). I just have ultra tv and 50/5 internet. However, where they get you is equpment. When I landed, I was pushing 180 (taxes, extra.equipment fee's).

Review by Rambo76098 See Profile

• Location: Blacklick,Franklin,OH
Good "Great Customer Service, Connection finally working well"
Bad "Botched Install, Poor Connection due to Crappy WOW Modem"
Overall "Not the cheapest, but great service"

To start this off, want to note this is overall a positive review. Wouldn't have said that at first, but a few months in things are finally where they should be.

Anyway, when AT&T announced caps, I started shopping around. Put my addy into WOWs website to see if service was available. Got a call from a sales rep Jesse and I placed an order for 15/1 internet only. Install was available quickly. Day of, installer never showed. Called Jesse - he forgot to put in the order. No problem, stuff happens.

Next appointment, installer shows up REALLY early, I have to leave work early to get home. Installer refuses to move the coax line from going across the deck (previous owner) to either under the deck or thru the existing hole being used by UVerse (equipment for both are in my condo's yard, inches from the building). Sign off of on the install (what else can I do?) and call WOW right away, they send an employee out the next day instead of a contractor. He moves the line, takes the WOW box off the back (not sure why they installed it for the previous owner, the line was grounded inside the unit, even said so in the box). Things are finally working at this point. Last issue was that Jesse made it sound like a router was included in the $5/mo equipment fee. They gave me a $50 bill credit for the issues and to buy a router.

Right off the bat I had connection issues. Would go down quite often, and pings/speeds would fluctuate quite badly. Turned out to be the crappy modem they gave me (Scientific Atlanta Webstar DPX100). If you ever get WOW installed, DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO INSTALL THIS MODEM! Ask instead for the Scientific Atlanta DPC2100R2. I had several months of connection problems and almost canceled and went to Insight over it.

Now that things are going smoothly, I am very satisfied with WOW. Speeds delivered are consistent, and are exactly as advertised (15/1). Wish the install process would have gone better, and WOW hadn't given me a crappy modem that was stamped as manufactured in 2002.

member for 11.1 years, 933 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by joebob2000 See Profile

• Location: Hilliard,Franklin,OH
Good "Low cost and easy to deal with"
Bad "Low quality equipment"
Overall "Good service if you don't mind the glitches"

Coming from AT&T U-verse, WOW was a lot cheaper (same channel lineup/boxes and internet speed is about 50% the price) but immediately the "freshness" of the technology was apparent. The set top boxes are really sad (low def guide, slow interface, huge in size) but the channels tune well via Clear QAM on the TV so the set top box is only needed if you want to DVR or PPV (or if you want to punish yourself with using the guide). On the internet side, the install went OK after the tech "fiddled" with it for an hour (speed was OK so he called it a win), but within a few days the internet slowed to a crawl. We had to have a tech revisit and replace the cable modem (after about 2 weeks in use) and the "new" one worked great. Hopefully it lasts longer than the first.

The use of old, refurb boxes (and just plain old technology) is kind of frustrating, but given that the price is so low it is worth it (for now). If money were no object, U-Verse or Time Warner (both available in this area) would be a much better choice.

Comments:

Review by jwhitaker148 See Profile

• Location: Reynoldsburg,Franklin,OH
Good "Reliable service, friendly customer support, great packages"
Bad "DVR storage size, UltraTV GUI is sometimes slow"
Overall "Overall good service, very reliable. "

·Frontier Communi..
I got WOW when I first moved to Columbus, OH and kept them until the launch of the Big 10 Network. Since they weren't carrying it at that point, and I love Buckeyes football, I switched to Insight. Big mistake. I switched back to WOW later because of unreliable service. I had them for the last three years and was extremely happy. I actually wish they offered service here because I miss them dearly.

I had their UltraTV service set up for two rooms with 15/1 Internet, their higher digital tier, and HBO. In the time I had them I only had two service calls; one for the UltraTV upgrade, the other after a power outage damaged the system. Sometimes the GUI was slow and I wish the HDD in the media server had been larger but other than that I had zero complaints. Both the initial install and the second were a breeze, so was the upgrade to UltraTV. The installer was on time, clean, and very courteous each time; certainly more professional than the DISH installer I had here.

They even made disconnecting and equipment return when i moved away absolutely painless. I wish they would move into this area, Time Warner won't run cable where I am and WOW is better than they are anyway.