WOW Internet and Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Porkroller See Profile

• Location: Grosse Ile,Wayne,MI
Good "Reliable service, no caps"
Bad "Would be nice to get a bump up in speed"
Overall "Compared to the other choices in my area (Comcast and AT&T), WOW is the best option in my opinion"

We've had WOW for years. Actually, since Americast was bought by WOW. Over the years we've had TV and internet service, and even triple play for a while. The service has been consistently reliable. There have been a few outages here and there, but in the scheme of things it hasn't been a big deal.

Last year we decided to "cut the cord" and dropped TV and phone service. The speed (15/2) is not great but OK. The cost ($30/month) is reasonable. The reliability is good. There are no caps. I don't have much to complain about - WOW makes a pretty good "dumb pipe".

Some things to avoid:

- Don't use WOW's DNS. They insert ads for non-existant domains. Roll your own DNS locally or use Google's DNS or anything else.

- Don't use WOW's email. This almost goes without saying for any ISP, but I'll say it anyway because it is so important. Do not get locked in to an ISP by using their email service.

- Don't rent a modem. Again, pretty much applicable to any ISP. There isn't anything wrong with WOW's modems, but they are a bad deal. $5/month to rent a modem that costs $10 to buy is not worthwhile. Note that you have to rent a modem if you have voice service with WOW (which is a good reason to not have voice service through them).

Bottom line:

I would choose and continue to choose WOW over the ISP competition in this area (Comcast and AT&T) because of the superior value and lack of data transfer caps (part of the value).

Comments:

Review by mpedigo1 See Profile

• Location: Elgin,Kane,IL
Good "The company is growing, an increase from 1 to 5 GB email space finally!"
Bad "The company is growing, a new email platform that seems outlook unfriendly"
Overall "What once made WOW shine (customer service) has gone the way of Comcast"

I currently only have WOW's 15/2 Mbs service.

In the last 2 months there have been more outages then in years before.....

WOW recently changed their mail backend upgrading to 5GB of storage which is nice but has broken the ability to use IMAP clients like Outlook as my Outlook client was corrupted the first time I attached. I created a new profile and it is working but hangs frequently. My calls to support have been met with "We don't support Outlook and we can't help you." They will not entertain that there is an issue on their end. I asked for a manager and pretty much received the same response "we don't care if you leave us."

I' sent an email to the CEO and CTO and am awaiting their response.

I guess WOW has managed to become just like every other large cable company which is sad considering how top notch WOW was 10 years ago. Their prices are pretty good, but there are certainly other choices out there.

I'll just say WOW has much room for improvement.

Comments:

rosew28

@23.28.144.x

Extreme slow internet

i was told slow internet (.76Mbps - 1.76) was Cleveland problem. Slowness starts in early evening every day. Even after we upgraded twice. It's been months. Our bill went from $97 to $130 but still no change. Each time I called to Complain, I was told to restart the router. Than speed gets back up. An hour or 2 later, same slide from 15 to 8 to 1.5 to .76
Can anyone help?

wowcust

@65.44.185.x

Same boat

I too have been experiencing random outages with WOW. I too am in Elgin. Switched back to them from Comcast as I had WOW 5 year ago without any issue. When the service is working it is great, but the frequent outages are making quite painful. How long are your outages? Mine range from 5-30 min. Call support and they say there is no issues.

NMich

@67.149.117.x

Not happy at all and this review is spot on!

Have been a W.O.W customer for over 10 years and just in the past 2 the price has gone up (no value now) and the internet speed has gotten slower and more unstable. I have what equates to a brand new modem/wifi router from W.O.W. and I know for a fact it is just W.O.W. taking on too many customers and not being able to keep up with the demand. Now what will happen is the internet just cuts out sometime throughout the day (hopefully not when I am logged onto my at home job). Then on top of that the speeds have gone from being 30/3 to 800kbps-1.5mbps/1.4 up. Really wow? I have no reason, none whatsoever to stay with them. Guess Ill be going to Comcast. Sorry W.O.W. I tried to show you some loyalty. I stuck with you for over a year with these games your playing, but I gotta do whats right for me now.

Review by ryan3531 See Profile

• Location: Mount Prospect,Cook,IL
Good "Reliable service, good tech support"
Bad "Channel selection not as expansive as the competition, cable boxes aren't the greatest"
Overall "Good value in our neighborhood"

My household subscribes to the Digital Signature TV with HD and 30/3 Internet service package, and we've had generally good service for a couple years now. The installation went smoothly, as I recall, and we have only had to call for support a couple of times since.

We were disappointed with the sluggish, clunky interface on the provided Scientific Atlanta cable boxes (which were what prompted the support calls we've had to make) and the small selection of on-demand programming, but decided that the cost savings and generally superior customer service compared to Comcast made it worth the tradeoff. We ended up ditching the provided cable boxes in favor of a SiliconDust CableCard tuner with Windows Media Center HTPCs. It took a few tries to get the CableCard activated properly, but it's been solid ever since.

The Internet service has been very reliable and we get the advertised speeds. We own our own modem, which gets a clean, consistent signal. My only real complaint about the Internet service is that WOW doesn't seem to be doing much about IPv6 deployment at this time.

Comments:

WOW sucks

@65.60.201.x

WOW SUCKS

television constantly pixelates and shuts down from 2:30 pm on until the wee hours of the morning. Techs say to expect that, nothing they can do. Telephone and internet drop out in the evening so fast you can't get even count how many times they go out.

WOW should not be allowed to do business!!!!!!!!!

Review by RogueJawa See Profile

• Location: Canal Winchester,Franklin,OH
Good "Reliable, friendly customer support"
Bad "Nothing worth crying about"
Overall "Best service in my area."

Update 09/10/14:

It's been three months since my install and.. really I have no complaints that make me dislike my service. I do wish the WiFi signal reached a bit further and I wish they provided WatchESPN as part of their online TV offerings. Those are very minor things compared to the fact that I can stream music, video, online game without lag, while allowing my WiiU, PS4, Vita, and 3DS XL to automatically update without a single problem. I have about 9 devices connected via WiFi or Ethernet altogether and don't experience any problems. I have the 30/3 package and my speeds top out at around 30.24 Mbps and 3.23 Mbps. I almost want to upgrade to the 50/5 package just to say I have it even though I don't really need it.

I consider it a great value given the fact that AT&T's max speed for my apartment complex is 12 Mbps down and they want the same amount WOW is charging me for 30.

Picture is crystal clear. The GUI for the ARRIS Media Gateway is slow to respond once in a while. If that's my worst First World Problem I consider myself doing pretty well. I'm also pleased to see the addition of the NFL Network and NFL RedZone channels since the last time I had WOW.

Update 06/09/14 INSTALL:

My appointment was scheduled for between 0900-1100 hours. At 0908 I received an automated call informing me my technician would arrive at 0930. He was extremely prompt; arriving at 0930 on the dot. My technician was Corey and he was extremely polite. He asked me where I wanted each item placed and even ran the cables through the proper holes on the entertainment center to keep everything nice and neat. As I had their UltraTV service a year previously he updated me on the changes that took place, from software updates to hardware updates. He programmed both remotes, allowed me to choose my own SSID and WiFi password (I found this very impressive because it's the first time a provider has let me do so), and he was on his way.

He was barely here a half an hour; he was extremely efficient, he left nothing behind, and everything works beautifully. He even offered me longer ethernet cables for my PS4 and PC. As planned I have Digital Signature with Showtime, two media players, the gateway, and 30/3 internet. Speeds have hovered at around 28 Mbps down and 3.5-4 Mbps up on both Ookla and Speakeasy. Netflix streaming is crystal clear and my PS4's online features work flawlessly.

I'm very satisfied and it is well worth the price.

ORDER:

I previously had WOW when I lived in Columbus and now I'm moving back, after dealing with Frontier for 10 months I can't wait to have real internet again. There were definitely no complaints from me when the manager of the apartment complex I'm moving to told me I could choose from satellite, AT&T, or WOW Cable.

Setting service back up was easy. The CSR was extremely helpful, and didn't try to sell me anything I didn't need. She actually started to undersell me until I asked if they still offered their UltraTV service in the area. She told me they did and asked if I was interested. She set up my order with their Signature Cable w/UltraTV (I have to have BBC America and I was pleased to see the NFL Network back on their channel lineup), Showtime (more expensive than Dish, but I only plan to keep it long enough to finish out the season of Penny Dreadful), and 30 Mbps internet (this is going to be amazing after having 500 Kbps from Frontier). They had plenty of install times open on the day I wanted, I'm moving on a Sunday and I got an appointment early on Monday morning.

She took the time to explain every charge I would receive, which I was familiar with having been a former customer, but I think it's great they're that up front with their charges. I also think it's fantastic that she didn't immediately try to sell me more than the minimum she thought I would need until I asked about the advanced services. She was from Colorado, very friendly, and we chatted while she entered my order. It was great to be treated like I mattered, and I thought it was awesome when she thanked me for coming back as a customer. I'm genuinely happy to be coming back.

Once the install is complete I'll update this and finish my ratings. Heads up, I'm going to count my "Days from order to online" as "Days from move-in to online" because it wouldn't be fair if I put 22 days there. It isn't their fault I'm a control freak who likes to have everything squared away and ordered so early.

Comments:

Chad

@24.214.212.x

-1 recommendation

Wow Internet

Horrible service. I pay twice as much for half the service I used to have with Comcast. I am only forced to use it because they are the only ones available in my current location. Can not wait to move or WOW goes out of business which ever comes first.

RogueJawa

join:2013-08-15
Canal Winchester, OH
·WOW Internet and..

Re: Wow Internet

Sucks to be you I guess. I had them for several years when I lived in Columbus, OH and I can't wait to get them back. It will be interesting to see your Comcast reviews later because everyone I've ever spoken to that has it has hated them with a passion. They are among the most hated companies in America lol.

Review by sllywhtboy See Profile

• Location: Madison Heights,Oakland,MI
Good "So far the best"
Bad "HD offerings meh"
Overall "Great for what I use it for"

·Speakeasy
2006:15mbit down, 2mbit up and basic analog cable is what i pay for. 3 IPs are nice. I've had odd problems they were able to diagnose (grounds) but it took the supervisor.

cable TV offerings are decent but not much in the HD line (not that I use it)

good value, overall happy with them. i've had them in this market for about 5 years now across 2 residences.

2014: upgraded to 30mbps plan, basic qam tv plan. changed to comcast 8/2014 because of more competitive plans/packages.

member for 12.9 years, 1616 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by wtkwest See Profile

• Location: Knoxville,Knox,TN
Good "Download speeds pretty good"
Bad "Connection drops frequently"
Overall "When reliable, better than Comcast. However, I'm fed up."

When knology became flaky, after 2 weeks or so, everything would become faster/better - so I stayed. Now that WOW has them, the network has simply been flaky all the time. It is impossible to Skype for more than 6-10 minutes without the carrier dropping - and having to wait 2-3 minutes for the cable modem to get a carrier and reconnect. Streaming movies ave similar problem - albeit seemingly less frequently. Often have to reboot the modem. Last year, Phone service went out - only to discover that they swapped to VoIP, and forgot to mention it. Service guy was polite, but clearly agitated with back office. It is hard to point to when problems started - but dropped connections while working remotely (yet again) may have been the last straw. {my parents live somewhat nearby and have xfinity - and I definitely don't want Comcast's poor offering. Oh bother. }

Comments:

Hazen 29

@166.137.101.x

Internet

Very laggy for video games and get droped a lot

Review by Rambo76098 See Profile

• Location: Blacklick,Franklin,OH
Good "Great Customer Service, Connection finally working well"
Bad "Botched Install, Poor Connection due to Crappy WOW Modem"
Overall "Not the cheapest, but great service"

To start this off, want to note this is overall a positive review. Wouldn't have said that at first, but a few months in things are finally where they should be.

Anyway, when AT&T announced caps, I started shopping around. Put my addy into WOWs website to see if service was available. Got a call from a sales rep Jesse and I placed an order for 15/1 internet only. Install was available quickly. Day of, installer never showed. Called Jesse - he forgot to put in the order. No problem, stuff happens.

Next appointment, installer shows up REALLY early, I have to leave work early to get home. Installer refuses to move the coax line from going across the deck (previous owner) to either under the deck or thru the existing hole being used by UVerse (equipment for both are in my condo's yard, inches from the building). Sign off of on the install (what else can I do?) and call WOW right away, they send an employee out the next day instead of a contractor. He moves the line, takes the WOW box off the back (not sure why they installed it for the previous owner, the line was grounded inside the unit, even said so in the box). Things are finally working at this point. Last issue was that Jesse made it sound like a router was included in the $5/mo equipment fee. They gave me a $50 bill credit for the issues and to buy a router.

Right off the bat I had connection issues. Would go down quite often, and pings/speeds would fluctuate quite badly. Turned out to be the crappy modem they gave me (Scientific Atlanta Webstar DPX100). If you ever get WOW installed, DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO INSTALL THIS MODEM! Ask instead for the Scientific Atlanta DPC2100R2. I had several months of connection problems and almost canceled and went to Insight over it.

Now that things are going smoothly, I am very satisfied with WOW. Speeds delivered are consistent, and are exactly as advertised (15/1). Wish the install process would have gone better, and WOW hadn't given me a crappy modem that was stamped as manufactured in 2002.

Update 7/15/14. Great reliability and speeds are consistent, even at peak times. No complaints. Was upgraded for free to 2mb upload instead of 1. Only one bill increase, I think 2 bucks a month.

member for 11.6 years, 1007 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Worst cable

@96.27.65.x

Wow is worst

Wow cable is the absolute worst

karen

@173.87.50.x

Re: Wow is worst

Absolutely ! I wish there was a different cable service in my area ! Programing breaks up & cuts out constantly. Also can't get GSN any more.

Re: Wow is worst

They are A HELL of a lot better than TWC, AT&T, and Comcast. I've had all of them before, and hope to never use them again.

jasonwolf

@99.46.4.x

wow

You could not find worse company than wow way. They put all kind of ridiculous charges on your monthly bill. installation fee, modem fee, etc. even you did install by yourself and have your own modem. They put more charges than the contract you signed on. You would get hung up when you tried to talk about this. So stay away from this business.

Re: wow

There's no such charges on my bill. It has one line: Internet Services: $52 a month.

No modem, no equipment, etc. Sorry sir, but you are mistaken or misinformed.

davidbrandt

@64.53.201.x

Crapy billing

Wow has a habit of never sending a bill with the same charges, they're over priced and you don't get what you pay for. I've called them tree times asking why I don't have the velocity channel, they said that I should be receiving it because it's included in my program package, they said they would add it and the other channels I'm not getting, never happened yet, they're liars. I'm in the process of looking for a different carrier, one that's not full of crap, doesn't overcharge and knows how to run a coax cable without leaving it on the ground, I also called about this and was told they would take care of, it still hasn't been done to this day.

Re: Crapy billing

Probably not the best review to complain about TV service on... since I don't have cable TV. Giant waste of money.

Cher Freds

@71.203.69.x
They don't exist. Comcast sucks. Been with them for 20+ yrs. and my bill is never the same. I constantly have to fight to get my service discount I earned after 20 yrs. and then they up my regular bundle rate. They have overseas people who can't speak english so they make the situation worse. I can't seem to find an alternative. Best of luck to you.

Review by zeke56 See Profile

• Location: Naperville,Du Page,IL
Good "Consistent, decent price"
Bad "none"
Overall "So far I am very happy with this service"

Update 7/14/2014

I've now had the service for about three months and I have not changed my opinion. It has been consistent and reliable for the entire time I've had the service.

end of Update 7/14/2014

I've had the service for a little over a month, and so far it as been 100% reliable and consistent. I'm using my own Motorola surfboard modem. I haven't had need of tech support, but the person I talked to before I signed up at least seemed to have a clue about things like ping times, in contrast to the converted goat herders that apparently staff AT&T tech support.

I have QOS set up on my router to allow 80% of the nominal maximum speed both upstream and downstream. I've tested speeds several times a week during evening hours using speedtest.net, and the results have been consistently quite close to the maximum governed by my QOS settings. I've tested ping times and jitter quite a few times using pingtest.net, and the jitter is consistently ~15ms or less no matter which server I connect to (the average ping times increase w/ distance, with the closest giving me typically ~30ms, altho the ping times using speedtest.net are typically less). One reason I switched from dsl, in addition to the speed increase, was that my voip was suffering from dropouts and poor call quality w/ dsl. With WOW I haven't noticed any dropouts and the sound quality on calls seems better (altho this aspect is really hard to judge objectively in my opinion).

The promotional price of $50/mo for WOW is the same as the dsl service I had previously, with several times the speed. I believe they said after the 12 month promotional period, the price will rise to the $60s, which still seems reasonable to me.

member for 5.5 years, 111 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

mtaylor9287

@69.73.37.x

service

Both my husband and I have contacted WOW at their home office, contacting their customer service rep. CEO and other to no avail over the last year and a half. We were fortunate to have Knowlogy service in Montgomery, AL, but since moving to Madison, AL. and Knowlogy being purchased by WOW the service has completely disintegrated. I would not recommend them to my worse enemy, even if they were offering a $1,000 bonus for new sign ups. We live in a captured gated community which has WOW for gate control, internet, phone, and cable, therefore we have little recourse but to move in orde to improve our service. Hardly a week passes where we do no not have problems with the gate. For the last year, regularly every two or three weeks I loose internet, cable or phone service. The excuse is that they are working on the cables, doing upgrades. I would think that 12 months is long enough to replace cables from here to Texas. Sad to say this is not a one person or place problem. I have spoken to a number of my neighbors, and they have experienced the same problems. If you are considering WOW service or are forced into their service. "GOOD LUCK"

RogueJawa

join:2013-08-15
Canal Winchester, OH
·WOW Internet and..

Re: service

If you're considering WOW service you made the right choice, at least if you're in Ohio. I had their service for nearly 7 years with next to no service calls. The only prominent one in my memory was when a neighbor broke into the junction for the complex and disconnected my cable and connected it to theirs. They were out the same day, hooked it back up, and made the access more secure.
rakweb

join:2010-03-12
Lawrence, KS

Service degrading

I have been a wireless customer for several years, we are located in rural Kansas. Our first ISP provider was a local company called Sunflower, they were very cooperative and eager to help their customers. Then they were purchased by Knology and the quality started to degrade, now WOW is in the picture and service has crumbled. I would not recommend their service unless you only need to read your emails, their speeds are marginal and frequently the service is interrupted. Although the technical support is very good, is of no help if their equipment is outdated and prone to malfunction. My original contract with Sunflower called for unlimited use with no cap and no throttle, however that was not honored by WOW and now they throttle their customers. Occasionally and at best I get bursts of 2.5 Gb/s download speeds but currently it is 425 Kb/s download and 195 Kb/s upload. We are going to sign up with another provider that has certain guarantees.

Review by mvonhatten See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Oakland,MI
Good "Fairly cheap internet and TV bundle."
Bad "They take forever to hire contractors to bury new lines to the house"

Have been a customer for 13 years. Started using my own modem two years ago, and have the 30/3 internet with basic cable and 2 digital converter boxes.

They raise the price on me every 12 months when the rate expires, until I call and ask about the price increase. They notice my loyalty and instantly knock $10 off my bill. I think they are happy to work with repeat customers. The bill has gone up because of state taxes, licensing fees, and other stuff that is beyond their control.

I haven't had a representative out in the last 5 years, but they were very professional when they were here last.

Comments:

Review by computerman2 See Profile

• Location: Rockwood,Wayne,MI
Good "Excellent Service"
Bad "None that I noticed"
Overall "Great Service"

·AT&T Midwest
I'm Very Happy with my WOW(Wideopenwest) Internet Service and Cable Television, been using it over a year now, and just upgraded recently to Advanced package--which is even better than original package I was on(original package was 500kbps download and 300 upload)
When WOW does maintenance, it's never too long of an outage..and they very rarely do much maintenance in my side of town.
All in All this is the best ever Internet and Cable Company I've ever used--Comcast I had prior to Wideopenwest, and couldn't online game at all with it, or do much of anything...

Wideopenwest(WOW) Just keeping improving, and you'll always have a happy customer here

Due to Moving in January 2005--Had to Cancel WideOpenWest Service, since was not available in Gibraltar Michigan, So Hopefully the service is still working as well as when i left it, and if does ever come available in Gibraltar Michigan, may check it out

January 11th 2014, Resigned up with WOW Cable and Internet, and Phone, Service been very reliable not many outages except one. Original install was on time, and went perfectly, minus a few problems, that a Tech just solved yesterday 4/12/2013. Gaming Online excellent, Download speed and upload speed excellent, I do much more online than in 2004/2005 when I last had WOW internet. Nowadays I use SKype voice over ip more, online game, stream music/videos, etc.

Arris Gateway works great, Ultra TV service is a very nice feature