WOW Internet and Cable page on DSLReports

Review by tmcb82 See Profile

• Location: Hilliard,Franklin,OH
Good "TV service has the channels I like and Internet speed is above advertised."
Bad "Price's are rising and a few recent outages."
Overall "Still better and cheaper than Time Warner or U-Verse."

I have had the service since September of 2012 and have been generally very happy. Some issues do pop up every so often but WOW is quick to fix them. Their support is the best (they all seem to be US-based) very friendly and knowledgeable. I don't intend on switch anytime soon, unless something drastic happens.TV

My Services:
- One HD DVR w/ HD service (not UltraTV).
- Signature TV package.
- 15/1 Internet w/ my own modem. (I usually get 17/2 though.)
- 4 TV's in total.

Comments:

Review by cmoschini See Profile

• Location: Saint Petersburg,Pinellas,FL
Good "Excellent techs, excellent service, fast speeds, good prices."
Bad "Arris modem/router is so-so router. Website works but is very limited. Name is kinda stupid, hard to google (Warcraft...)."
Overall "A great company that needs a new name and a better website so more people can find them."

I wanted a fast connection because I use my home connection for work (I build websites, from home), and I'm often both downloading and uploading large files to client sites. Asymmetric connections like Wow's cable tend to skimp on Upload, and the top 2 plans they offer in my part of FL are:

50 down / 5 up

30 down / 5 up

I wanted max upload, ideally 30, but that's simply not available. The sales guy, to his credit, talked me out of the 50 down, saying my wifi router wasn't going to be able to do better than 30 anyway. He was right - I've never had a connection this fast and my 802.11N router can't do better than 30 anyway. Money saved.

30 down / 5 up is $67/mo though I think that might go up after a year, before tax. I'm paying about $4 in tax. There was a $30 setup charge. There's also a somewhat confusing conversation about "Truck Rolls," which is not offroading disasters but rather an insurance policy where you pay something like $5/mo to get tech visits for free, rather than paying, I think it was, $100/visit. Seemed reasonable, though it is a bit odd they don't just include it in the price and keep it simple. Also they might want a better name... .

I should clarify the 6 days to install was because I called 6 days ahead of time and setup the appointment in the afternoon, after the electricity would be turned on in the morning. I'm not sure if the 6 here is some kind of mark against them... .

The techs were nice enough to talk me through everything they were setting up, and even braved a giant bees nest, that fortunately had already been abandoned, to setup the new line. For the technically curious, Wow runs fiber optic above-ground on existing telephone lines, down a pole to a small collection silo - if you have one near you it's a green domed cylinder about a foot in diameter. The fiber optic hands off to cable which they then bury underground to each house near that silo.

For the non-technical, that's a good setup, so I'm expecting a clean connection - unless the telephone poles blow down, then I'm hosed. Not that it'd matter since I'd have no power anyway. It is Florida... . Smartphones and backup batteries for the win.

One thing I like to do to test a connection is run a simple packet loss test - I build websites so pinging a server from here right now with a simple ping /t, in 200 pings one didn't come back. Not perfect but not getting in the way of work or wasting time on Netflix.

Complaints:

The Arris modem/router they provided is a good modem, it's been solid there. But on the router side, it's been unimpressive. It COULD be my devices - this complaint is very unscientific as all I used was my phone and laptop - but I found it had poor signal, dropping to half speed in the bedroom, and frequent total wifi dropouts.

That said I brought my own router with me (a very customized dd-wrt one) that I know works well with all my devices. I used a direct ethernet connection to the modem from my laptop to go in and disable its wifi so it wouldn't impair my router's signal sitting right next to it, tied my router into it, and now things are really solid. I don't know if others will struggle with their Arris router half, but that was my experience. I do think in general the quality of wifi is complicated and a major part of good internet these days, and it's too bad it's basically no one's job.

If I had to complain so far, it would be that their website is very limited, and finding anything about them is very tough. Their name apparently used to be Wide Open West, so they've rebranded, and they really should've talked to an SEO or branding person before picking that new brand. "Wow" is already very much crowded in search by World of Warcraft, so anything you might try to find, Google runs you straight the other way.

Their signed-in site is very limited. The only way to see your bill breakdown is a PDF. You can setup automatic billing, paperless billing, and that is quite literally everything that it does.

To get specific I was looking for "Wow! A Friend." Despite being an existing customer, this appears to be nowhere in their signed-in site. It's also impossible to google, because the real WoW (Warcraft) also has a refer a friend feature. To find it I finally guessed that maybe it'd be on wowway.com's contact us page, and sure enough... lucky guess.

I think if Wow picked a name that reflected the fact they own no content, and aren't a media conglomerate, so their goal isn't to screw you like sayyyyyy Time Warner, which I just escaped in leaving my last place for here, I think that'd be a better name. But whatever they pick... they should google it first and make sure it's not already dominated by something as big as Warcraft.

Comments:

ladymercedes

@70.195.0.x

dissapointment

I have been a VERY loyal customer for years but this past few months have been nothing but a dissapointment. First my box dies and o lose all my shows. Then the replacement starts screwing up and instead of losing everything again i decide to wait until i really need it . then when i finally do call, not only do they bring a box inferior to the one i have now but the one i actually need and was told i was getting wont be around until January. Then the tech guy proceeds to screw up both of my cable boxes royally to the point that i have to call the company twice and he screwed up one of my televisions so now the picture doesnt come in right and when i called about a new box i asked to make sure they dont send him back here and they said you get who you get. Now i find out that they have cheaped out and dropped my favorite network from their lineup and it may never come back. Not only that but there are no other companies in this town that offer cable at all so im now stuck with these people which i used to think was a good thing. Now i want another company in this town.

Review by daragh See Profile

• Location: Arlington Heights,Cook,IL
Good "For internet-only, good price for the speed and reliability"
Bad "Basic, but impactful mistake on install"
Overall "No inclination to move - loyal customer"

Apart from a stupid mistake on the installation order (mixing north with south up on my address) which really messed up the whole installation for a week, the services is actually pretty good - no worry about having a connection.

Comments:

Review by raypsi1 See Profile

• Location: Wayne,Wayne,MI
Good "came out next day in the PM for install"
Bad "they gave us cable box based on the NTSC tv we had, no hdmi or streaming video outs"
Overall "ordered 15Mbps service and I got advertised speed wicked awesome"

First order they hooked me up to their bot phone system after talking to a person bot refused to understand my responses I thought I got the order thru for install the next day but when the time went by I called they said they had no record of me:( after using 120 minutes of cell phone time Saturday they set me up for Sunday lucky service man was only 4 minutes late for that window of time.
The install went smooth.
I gots a Arris TM502G modem rented for $2/month
I got the service protection plan $3/month
2Mbps speed for $42/month
and a total balance of $98 for the install and internet listed above
The balance was due 1/25/13 but I paid it the next day after install
I don't know for sure it the bandwidth is capped
And they do give me the true advertised, speed that never happened with any of my other ISP's

9/1/14 yea still getting what I paid for, only 3 outages on the weekends in the last few months this year. BTW I did the speed tests here on dslreports

12/5/14 upgraded to 15mbps for only $20 I upgraded cable to digital, now paying about $60 for cable and $20 for internet
Got through to sales on my google phone, 'cause last time it took so long had to pay for cell phone minutes.
Free install I paying for this in monthly fees, like service protection plan if anything goes wrong they fix it for free.

Comments:
levis76

join:2013-01-06

Try a true speed test

Try speedtest.net, not the WOW! speed test. Their's only tests between their servers and your modem. Try a real world speed test on servers around the country and prepare to be disappointed.

raypsi1

join:2001-04-09
Redford, MI

Re: Try a true speed test

What? I used dslreports java and flash servers every time I got 2+mbps If I could of figure out how to post the results here I would have sorry about that.

raypsi1

join:2001-04-09
Redford, MI
·WOW Internet and..

Re: Try a true speed test

Here's results of just 3 java tests here on dslreports:

21-01-2013 04:03 AM java speedtest 2105 Kbps 782 Kbps New Jersey, USA wideopenwest.com
del 08-01-2013 08:34 AM java speedtest 2030 Kbps 1122 Kbps New Jersey, USA wideopenwest.com 0635hrs est
del 07-01-2013 08:09 AM java speedtest 2111 Kbps 1121 Kbps New Jersey, USA wideopenwest.com

Review by Porkroller See Profile

• Location: Grosse Ile,Wayne,MI
Good "Reliable service, no caps"
Bad "Would be nice to get a bump up in speed"
Overall "Compared to the other choices in my area (Comcast and AT&T), WOW is the best option in my opinion"

We've had WOW for years. Actually, since Americast was bought by WOW. Over the years we've had TV and internet service, and even triple play for a while. The service has been consistently reliable. There have been a few outages here and there, but in the scheme of things it hasn't been a big deal.

Last year we decided to "cut the cord" and dropped TV and phone service. The speed (15/2) is not great but OK. The cost ($30/month) is reasonable. The reliability is good. There are no caps. I don't have much to complain about - WOW makes a pretty good "dumb pipe".

Some things to avoid:

- Don't use WOW's DNS. They insert ads for non-existant domains. Roll your own DNS locally or use Google's DNS or anything else.

- Don't use WOW's email. This almost goes without saying for any ISP, but I'll say it anyway because it is so important. Do not get locked in to an ISP by using their email service.

- Don't rent a modem. Again, pretty much applicable to any ISP. There isn't anything wrong with WOW's modems, but they are a bad deal. $5/month to rent a modem that costs $10 to buy is not worthwhile. Note that you have to rent a modem if you have voice service with WOW (which is a good reason to not have voice service through them).

Bottom line:

I would choose and continue to choose WOW over the ISP competition in this area (Comcast and AT&T) because of the superior value and lack of data transfer caps (part of the value).

Comments:

Review by mpedigo1 See Profile

• Location: Elgin,Kane,IL
Good "The company is growing, an increase from 1 to 5 GB email space finally!"
Bad "The company is growing, a new email platform that seems outlook unfriendly"
Overall "What once made WOW shine (customer service) has gone the way of Comcast"

I currently only have WOW's 15/2 Mbs service.

In the last 2 months there have been more outages then in years before.....

WOW recently changed their mail backend upgrading to 5GB of storage which is nice but has broken the ability to use IMAP clients like Outlook as my Outlook client was corrupted the first time I attached. I created a new profile and it is working but hangs frequently. My calls to support have been met with "We don't support Outlook and we can't help you." They will not entertain that there is an issue on their end. I asked for a manager and pretty much received the same response "we don't care if you leave us."

I' sent an email to the CEO and CTO and am awaiting their response.

I guess WOW has managed to become just like every other large cable company which is sad considering how top notch WOW was 10 years ago. Their prices are pretty good, but there are certainly other choices out there.

I'll just say WOW has much room for improvement.

Comments:

rosew28

@23.28.144.x

Extreme slow internet

i was told slow internet (.76Mbps - 1.76) was Cleveland problem. Slowness starts in early evening every day. Even after we upgraded twice. It's been months. Our bill went from $97 to $130 but still no change. Each time I called to Complain, I was told to restart the router. Than speed gets back up. An hour or 2 later, same slide from 15 to 8 to 1.5 to .76
Can anyone help?

wowcust

@65.44.185.x

Same boat

I too have been experiencing random outages with WOW. I too am in Elgin. Switched back to them from Comcast as I had WOW 5 year ago without any issue. When the service is working it is great, but the frequent outages are making quite painful. How long are your outages? Mine range from 5-30 min. Call support and they say there is no issues.

NMich

@67.149.117.x

Not happy at all and this review is spot on!

Have been a W.O.W customer for over 10 years and just in the past 2 the price has gone up (no value now) and the internet speed has gotten slower and more unstable. I have what equates to a brand new modem/wifi router from W.O.W. and I know for a fact it is just W.O.W. taking on too many customers and not being able to keep up with the demand. Now what will happen is the internet just cuts out sometime throughout the day (hopefully not when I am logged onto my at home job). Then on top of that the speeds have gone from being 30/3 to 800kbps-1.5mbps/1.4 up. Really wow? I have no reason, none whatsoever to stay with them. Guess Ill be going to Comcast. Sorry W.O.W. I tried to show you some loyalty. I stuck with you for over a year with these games your playing, but I gotta do whats right for me now.

Review by ryan3531 See Profile

• Location: Mount Prospect,Cook,IL
Good "Reliable service, good tech support"
Bad "Channel selection not as expansive as the competition, cable boxes aren't the greatest"
Overall "Good value in our neighborhood"

My household subscribes to the Digital Signature TV with HD and 30/3 Internet service package, and we've had generally good service for a couple years now. The installation went smoothly, as I recall, and we have only had to call for support a couple of times since.

We were disappointed with the sluggish, clunky interface on the provided Scientific Atlanta cable boxes (which were what prompted the support calls we've had to make) and the small selection of on-demand programming, but decided that the cost savings and generally superior customer service compared to Comcast made it worth the tradeoff. We ended up ditching the provided cable boxes in favor of a SiliconDust CableCard tuner with Windows Media Center HTPCs. It took a few tries to get the CableCard activated properly, but it's been solid ever since.

The Internet service has been very reliable and we get the advertised speeds. We own our own modem, which gets a clean, consistent signal. My only real complaint about the Internet service is that WOW doesn't seem to be doing much about IPv6 deployment at this time.

Comments:

WOW sucks

@65.60.201.x

WOW SUCKS

television constantly pixelates and shuts down from 2:30 pm on until the wee hours of the morning. Techs say to expect that, nothing they can do. Telephone and internet drop out in the evening so fast you can't get even count how many times they go out.

WOW should not be allowed to do business!!!!!!!!!

Review by sllywhtboy See Profile

• Location: Madison Heights,Oakland,MI
Good "So far the best"
Bad "HD offerings meh"
Overall "Great for what I use it for"

·Speakeasy
2006:15mbit down, 2mbit up and basic analog cable is what i pay for. 3 IPs are nice. I've had odd problems they were able to diagnose (grounds) but it took the supervisor.

cable TV offerings are decent but not much in the HD line (not that I use it)

good value, overall happy with them. i've had them in this market for about 5 years now across 2 residences.

2014: upgraded to 30mbps plan, basic qam tv plan. changed to comcast 8/2014 because of more competitive plans/packages.

member for 13.2 years, 1675 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by wtkwest See Profile

• Location: Knoxville,Knox,TN
Good "Download speeds pretty good"
Bad "Connection drops frequently"
Overall "When reliable, better than Comcast. However, I'm fed up."

When knology became flaky, after 2 weeks or so, everything would become faster/better - so I stayed. Now that WOW has them, the network has simply been flaky all the time. It is impossible to Skype for more than 6-10 minutes without the carrier dropping - and having to wait 2-3 minutes for the cable modem to get a carrier and reconnect. Streaming movies ave similar problem - albeit seemingly less frequently. Often have to reboot the modem. Last year, Phone service went out - only to discover that they swapped to VoIP, and forgot to mention it. Service guy was polite, but clearly agitated with back office. It is hard to point to when problems started - but dropped connections while working remotely (yet again) may have been the last straw. {my parents live somewhat nearby and have xfinity - and I definitely don't want Comcast's poor offering. Oh bother. }

Comments:

Hazen 29

@166.137.101.x

Internet

Very laggy for video games and get droped a lot

Review by Rambo76098 See Profile

• Location: Blacklick,Franklin,OH
Good "Great Customer Service, Connection finally working well"
Bad "Botched Install, Poor Connection due to Crappy WOW Modem"
Overall "Not the cheapest, but great service"

To start this off, want to note this is overall a positive review. Wouldn't have said that at first, but a few months in things are finally where they should be.

Anyway, when AT&T announced caps, I started shopping around. Put my addy into WOWs website to see if service was available. Got a call from a sales rep Jesse and I placed an order for 15/1 internet only. Install was available quickly. Day of, installer never showed. Called Jesse - he forgot to put in the order. No problem, stuff happens.

Next appointment, installer shows up REALLY early, I have to leave work early to get home. Installer refuses to move the coax line from going across the deck (previous owner) to either under the deck or thru the existing hole being used by UVerse (equipment for both are in my condo's yard, inches from the building). Sign off of on the install (what else can I do?) and call WOW right away, they send an employee out the next day instead of a contractor. He moves the line, takes the WOW box off the back (not sure why they installed it for the previous owner, the line was grounded inside the unit, even said so in the box). Things are finally working at this point. Last issue was that Jesse made it sound like a router was included in the $5/mo equipment fee. They gave me a $50 bill credit for the issues and to buy a router.

Right off the bat I had connection issues. Would go down quite often, and pings/speeds would fluctuate quite badly. Turned out to be the crappy modem they gave me (Scientific Atlanta Webstar DPX100). If you ever get WOW installed, DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO INSTALL THIS MODEM! Ask instead for the Scientific Atlanta DPC2100R2. I had several months of connection problems and almost canceled and went to Insight over it.

Now that things are going smoothly, I am very satisfied with WOW. Speeds delivered are consistent, and are exactly as advertised (15/1). Wish the install process would have gone better, and WOW hadn't given me a crappy modem that was stamped as manufactured in 2002.

Update 7/15/14. Great reliability and speeds are consistent, even at peak times. No complaints. Was upgraded for free to 2mb upload instead of 1. Only one bill increase, I think 2 bucks a month.

member for 11.9 years, 1056 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Worst cable

@96.27.65.x

Wow is worst

Wow cable is the absolute worst

karen

@173.87.50.x

Re: Wow is worst

Absolutely ! I wish there was a different cable service in my area ! Programing breaks up & cuts out constantly. Also can't get GSN any more.

Re: Wow is worst

They are A HELL of a lot better than TWC, AT&T, and Comcast. I've had all of them before, and hope to never use them again.

jasonwolf

@99.46.4.x

wow

You could not find worse company than wow way. They put all kind of ridiculous charges on your monthly bill. installation fee, modem fee, etc. even you did install by yourself and have your own modem. They put more charges than the contract you signed on. You would get hung up when you tried to talk about this. So stay away from this business.

Re: wow

There's no such charges on my bill. It has one line: Internet Services: $52 a month.

No modem, no equipment, etc. Sorry sir, but you are mistaken or misinformed.

davidbrandt

@64.53.201.x

Crapy billing

Wow has a habit of never sending a bill with the same charges, they're over priced and you don't get what you pay for. I've called them tree times asking why I don't have the velocity channel, they said that I should be receiving it because it's included in my program package, they said they would add it and the other channels I'm not getting, never happened yet, they're liars. I'm in the process of looking for a different carrier, one that's not full of crap, doesn't overcharge and knows how to run a coax cable without leaving it on the ground, I also called about this and was told they would take care of, it still hasn't been done to this day.

Re: Crapy billing

Probably not the best review to complain about TV service on... since I don't have cable TV. Giant waste of money.

Cher Freds

@71.203.69.x
They don't exist. Comcast sucks. Been with them for 20+ yrs. and my bill is never the same. I constantly have to fight to get my service discount I earned after 20 yrs. and then they up my regular bundle rate. They have overseas people who can't speak english so they make the situation worse. I can't seem to find an alternative. Best of luck to you.