Execulink Telecom page on DSLReports

Review by markf See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "Reliable connection"
Bad "Over priced, no FTTN plans, poor customer service"
Overall "Finally left, over priced, outdated plans, much better out there"

·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
The final review...

With the new FTTN plans being offered by other providers, I finally decided to make the jump. My 6/800 connection just wasn't cutting it while I try watch NHL GameCentre and the wife watches Netflix in the evening. I called Execulink and they told me they have no plans to offer FTTN plans, not only that, they are way over priced. I'm on 25/10 with VoIP (which I had with Execulink too) for $10/month less than what I paid for 6/800 with them.

I had digital phone too, so I was initially hesitant to switch. I looked into other providers, tested voip.ms once I got over the initial fears about configurations and finally decided it was ok to move on. Porting my number out was more difficult than it should have been, they cut my number off on the Friday but told voip.ms the FOC date was the next Wednesday. I ended up having no phone service on my primary number for five days which was embarrassing when I was able to call out and giving my number out without knowing that when they called it told them my number was out of service. Some family members called and were concerned because they couldn't get through and only a few select people have my cell number. The two companies played pass the buck, so I don't know who's fault it was, but based on the customer service attitude when I called to cancel my internet account and ask about returning the ATA leads me to believe that Execulink just didn't care.

I'm glad to be done with Execulink. They were reliable service wise and there were no issues as long as my payments went through every month, but in terms of pricing and upgrades, they are way behind the curve.

Unless they are the only choice you have (rural wireless) or you're lucky to get their FTTH, I would skip them.

This is my third review. Other reviews are below for the record.

So far, so good. After the problems with other ISP's and them keeping my plan despite my 120 GB/month average over the last few months (when they told me the cap was 70 - 100GB), I will stick with them for now. If they ever try to push me onto a new plan (based on my usage the $119.99 /month plan for 300GB), I'll leave in a heartbeat. With the problems others are having, I'll have a harder time finding and ISP I'll like, so I really hope they leave my plan alone (a plus is no price increase in 4 years now)!

They updated their portal and have voicemail to email for storage options (through their digital phone product), as well as allowing me to listen to voicemail online, which is a lot nicer than over the phone when there are many messages or you're trying to write numbers down.

Second review (early 2011).

I can't recommend this ISP to anyone anymore. Although they've been ok to me and haven't imposed a cap on me yet, they are very evasive when questioned about the cap. Depending on the day, they'll change my plan if I exceed 70 or maybe 80 GB per month - they won't say. Originally I was "uncapped". I've exceed 75GB 2 out of the last 3 months and nothing yet, but their next plan up, 100GB is $20/month more. I will leave if they expect me to pay $59.99 for 100GB at 5Mbps.

During the UBB fiasco, they had $39.99 for 50GB, $59.99 for 100GB (or $20 for 50GB - even more than Bhell expects) and $119.99 for 300GB!!! Teksavvy gives you 300GB for $31.95 and unlimited for $39.99. Those expensive plans are still up. They also never communicated with customers during the UBB mess and when I called in, they told me they wouldn't offer insurance, only their profit taking plans while blaming Bhell for everything. Not very classy when their hand is clearly in the cookie jar too.

I have no affiliation with any other ISP, I just think that they need to be called out. I can't imagine how they are attracting new customers with what they are offering now. Their old deals were good, now they are brutal.

I must say Tech Support is still good and were always able to help me through any problems. I haven't had a price increase in my VoIP/Internet plan in 3 years, but the uncertainty of the "cap" will push me out if they do change my plan because they think 80GB is a heavy user.

Original Review:

I started off with Bell Sympatico. Shortly after that, I realized that the lite service I signed up for wasn't enough and I started looking at their full package. The price was/is steep, so I shopped around and found these guys through and got an excellent price through a work deal.

I bought their modem ($100- Speedtouch) and signed up for monthly service at $29.99 (in October 06). Over the past few months I had serious issues with my Bell landline, so I decided to go with their bundle digital phone and internet ($59.99/month).

When they switched me to the digital phone bundle they bumped me down from 4 meg to 3 meg service saying that the tech was concerned about stability issues with the phone. One short phone call to customer service got my line bumped up to 6 meg. They even called to confirm the speed was up and waited on the line until I was able to test it to be sure. I currently have the fastest Execulink connection on this site and am very satisfied with the speed. They don't throttle BT downloads like other ISP's do. I was downloading at 500 kB/s the other day with no problems.

I do have some echo at the beginning of phone calls, but I will call them and hopefully they can help me. Tech support is very patient and has worked through my setup and reconfigurations very quickly and efficiently. The phone problem is minor.

I am very happy with this ISP (a customer for about 16 months) and would recommend them highly.

member for 6.6 years, 1290 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Villnius See Profile

Good "Unlimited (grandfathered in). Fairly reliable"
Bad "Used to be 3mbps but reduced account to 1mbps without notice after price increase"
Overall "OK. The unlimited is nice, but current plans for new users are all capped"

I've been with them since 2000 or 2001 before Golden Triangle (golden.net) was acquired by Execulink. Back then it was 34.95 for 3mbps unlimited.

Around 2003, they offered me a 5 year contract locking in the price at 38.95 at the same 3mbps, unlimited. It was nice while it lasted.

The current price is 39.95/month and it's still unlimited but it's now reduced the speed to 1mbps at some point without notice. I used to think this was at my end, but after replacing my modem with a newer DSL2 one, nothing changed. When I checked it wasn't a mistake or a problem with the connection. Their system shows my account as a contract account with the speed left blank -- I could upgrade my speed, but I'd be capped and have to pay more. All their new plans are 3mbps and up, but are all capped and more expensive. It might not be worth it for new customers or for existing customers to upgrade to a higher speed with them.

It looks like there are some other ISPs offering service in the Toronto area that offer 3mbps to 6mbps DSL unlimited for the same price, so I'm thinking about switching providers. The only thing stopping me is that I still use my old golden.net email address for a lot of stuff, and I don't know how much hassle would be involved.

Comments:

Review by LondonOntGuy See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Nothing."
Bad "Everything."
Overall "Don't bother"

I signed up with these guys in 2005 and had fairly reliable service. At the time I had Rogers phone, which was Sprint previously before the buy out. When Rogers told me I need to sign up for their 'cable phone' or I'd lose my phone number, I switched to Execulink for both my phone and internet in a package deal. This was around September 2008.

It wasn't until about a year after that, I realized that there were problems with my building's intercom and the DSL connection. - Whenever I would get called on the intercom, I'd kicked offline. When I brought this to the attention to Exceculink, they didn't care and basically told me "Tough s**t" and that I should have informed them sooner of the issues. - It would almost always happen at night, with people randomly calling my intercom to be let in, and at the time I was working alot of night shifts. I always assumed that if my connection had been dropped in the middle of the night, that it was just Exceculink or Bell doing routine maintenance on the lines. How was I supposed to know about this? It wasn't until I made a topic about this here on DSL Reports that I finally figured out the problem.

Annoyed, I still kept them around because I didn't know there was anything better, and figured I'd have the same problems with any other DSL provider.

Come late 2009/early 2010, Execulink brought in their own version of UBB. From what I can remember, I ended up going with the 100 gig package, always watching what I downloaded for fear of going over.

I put up with this for about a month before I called and canceled my service, but they screwed the transfer date for my phone number for when I jumped to TekSavvy - My DSL connection was transferred with no issues on the date that it was supposed to have been. I ended up getting charged a full month for TWO DAYS of phone service with Execulink. I disputed this but got nowhere.

I can't recommend anyone go to Execulink. They are the most expensive game around when it comes to DSL, and have borderline awful tech support. The fact that they refused to do anything about the dropping of my DSL connection whenever the intercom was called is what really broke the camel's back.'

Just STAY AWAY. Anyone is better than these guys, hell, even going with Bell would be an upgrade.

Comments:

Review by yardman9 See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,ON
Good "Good"

I have had a continuous account since Dec 1996. What can I say but it's home and I would not trade it for any othere service. Some friends have switched for bundles from Bell or Rogers but given enough time they confess it was a mistake to have switched! I have found phone help a little limp but the level of my needs I would likely not have gotten better from any service. I one time asked to speak to the glazed eye fellow in the back room and they patched me through to a very knowledgeable employee. I wish they still had throttled unlimited Usenet but I suppose those days are behind us.

Comments:

Review by sounDDude See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "reliable service"
Bad "Cap just reduced, can get better deal for the money, not the fastest"
Overall "Too expensive for what you now get."

I have been with them for years They were Golden Triangle.
They recently imposed a cap.
Tech support is just ok.
$39.95 with 50Gb cap.
Switching to Teksavvy

Comments:

Review by helix9 See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Reasonably reliable"
Bad "Expensive and you are at the mercy of Bell/Nexxia for QoS"
Overall "nothing particularly outstanding or bad"

The initial install was very fast. I had just left an incompetent ISP who
disconnected me from their service with a half month left on my contract
after I had given notice. Execulink had me up and running quickly.

Most of the service interruptions have been by Bell/Nexxia either disconnecting
my phone line at the local CO or taking down the access concentrator.

One interruption was due to a flood at Execulink headquarters but they actually
had their backup server up in less than 4 hours which is very good considering
the adverse conditions.

Customer service is competent but understaffed. I have never had a billing problem
or any other problem with the financial end.

Tech support can be variable at times. I have had tech support personnel who seem
to know less than I do and I have had tech support who border on the genius level.

I have lost any price advantage I had as a long time customer and now pay the full rate.
There really was never any explanation for the loss of this price advantage.

If you are a satisfied customer with another ISP, there would be no compelling reason to move your service to Execulink. If you are dissatisfied with your current DSL nexxia reseller service, then you will find Execulink a fairly safe and competent provider, but not really much of a competitor on price.

Finally left in Jan 2010 because of the stiff price increases with no perceived return in value. Being nice to customers is a plus, but being the most expensive provider I could find when others provide the identical service for a lot less more than overcomes this tiny customer service advantage they may possess.

Comments:

Review by DennisLX See Profile

• Location: Tillsonburg,ON
Good "reliable consistant connection, good tech support"
Bad "price increases, took away VOIP, new bandwidth caps, low sync rate"
Overall "its not bad, but it used to be much better"

I have been a customer since the Oxford.net days and have always been happy with the service untill now. Over time sync rates have dropped, prices have went up, voip was taken away, prices went up again, and now a bandwidth cap. Its too bad this company has went downhill so much over the years.

I would still recommend thier service if you are just a light internet user, but really its no better than what the phone or cable guy offers these days.

Im switching to teksavvy and not looking back. Execulink didnt even try to retain my business.

Comments:

Review by weales See Profile

• Location: Hampton,ON
Good "Has giganews"
Bad "Prices always increase, charged me $2/month for an email address, 50 gig cap"
Overall "Go with Teksavvy or research before hand"

·ELECTRONICBOX
Having been a member of Golden Triangle (who was bought out by Execulink) for close to 7-8 years, I must say the service started to dive with the price increases back in 2008. It got worst in 2009 when they started charging me $2/month for my email address that just gets the billing email from them once a month, LOL?!

Now with it being 2010, they introduced a 50 gig cap without informing me when other members on this site have received a letter in the mail about this. The cap bugs me a bit but I would have loved to know about this first.

I've also been fighting with tech support to open a ticket with Bell because of some line problems I have been having recently. I'm sorry but it took me a week of fighting JUST to open a ticket?

The old Golden Triangle I knew is long but dead. In short, I'll either to be switching to Tekksavvy or one of the two wireless providers in my area.

member for 12.2 years, 1163 visits, last login: 115 days ago

Comments:

Review by apvm See Profile

• Location: London, ON
Good "Speed is constant"
Bad "Increase Rates $5 per year"
Overall "They are introdcing new rates with 50GB cap, No good anymore...I miss Golden.net"

I was a Golden.net customer and Execulink bought Golden a few years ago...they started to increase my rates $5 every year from 2008...increased to $38.80 (tax included) Jan 2009 and last month they informed me my rates will be increased again and with a 50GB cap starting Jan 2010, this is the final nail....I left them with no regret....they are not as good as the old golden.net and they have no respect for long term customers. bottom line is you can find better ISP elsewhere.

Comments:

Review by Vector_In See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Polite Service Rep!"
Bad "Unreliable speed, I miss Golden."
Overall "Same as the big boys"

·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
I have, I think 3 or 5 meg services. I'm not sure anymore. Service is little disappointing lately. latency is up since they move to Toronto from Kitchener. Speed is little radical. I'm been using Gnet modem for the last 4 years. I have been busy lately to check my line out. I'll see if things out better or worse. I'll update soon.

Just test today 10-22-07 »/linequality/nil/2298054

UPDATE: 12-22-09

Sorry to say I just left them after 8 years! January 1 I would be charged UBB. Price went up with only 50 gigs of Usages!! Usually 50Gigs would be enough but I have 3 teenagers and sometimes things get out hand! So Good bye EXucelink! Still having speed issues. Service Rep still friendly and helpful.