Execulink Telecom page on DSLReports

Review by markf See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "Reliable connection"
Bad "Over priced, no FTTN plans, poor customer service"
Overall "Finally left, over priced, outdated plans, much better out there"

·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
The final review...

With the new FTTN plans being offered by other providers, I finally decided to make the jump. My 6/800 connection just wasn't cutting it while I try watch NHL GameCentre and the wife watches Netflix in the evening. I called Execulink and they told me they have no plans to offer FTTN plans, not only that, they are way over priced. I'm on 25/10 with VoIP (which I had with Execulink too) for $10/month less than what I paid for 6/800 with them.

I had digital phone too, so I was initially hesitant to switch. I looked into other providers, tested voip.ms once I got over the initial fears about configurations and finally decided it was ok to move on. Porting my number out was more difficult than it should have been, they cut my number off on the Friday but told voip.ms the FOC date was the next Wednesday. I ended up having no phone service on my primary number for five days which was embarrassing when I was able to call out and giving my number out without knowing that when they called it told them my number was out of service. Some family members called and were concerned because they couldn't get through and only a few select people have my cell number. The two companies played pass the buck, so I don't know who's fault it was, but based on the customer service attitude when I called to cancel my internet account and ask about returning the ATA leads me to believe that Execulink just didn't care.

I'm glad to be done with Execulink. They were reliable service wise and there were no issues as long as my payments went through every month, but in terms of pricing and upgrades, they are way behind the curve.

Unless they are the only choice you have (rural wireless) or you're lucky to get their FTTH, I would skip them.

This is my third review. Other reviews are below for the record.

So far, so good. After the problems with other ISP's and them keeping my plan despite my 120 GB/month average over the last few months (when they told me the cap was 70 - 100GB), I will stick with them for now. If they ever try to push me onto a new plan (based on my usage the $119.99 /month plan for 300GB), I'll leave in a heartbeat. With the problems others are having, I'll have a harder time finding and ISP I'll like, so I really hope they leave my plan alone (a plus is no price increase in 4 years now)!

They updated their portal and have voicemail to email for storage options (through their digital phone product), as well as allowing me to listen to voicemail online, which is a lot nicer than over the phone when there are many messages or you're trying to write numbers down.

Second review (early 2011).

I can't recommend this ISP to anyone anymore. Although they've been ok to me and haven't imposed a cap on me yet, they are very evasive when questioned about the cap. Depending on the day, they'll change my plan if I exceed 70 or maybe 80 GB per month - they won't say. Originally I was "uncapped". I've exceed 75GB 2 out of the last 3 months and nothing yet, but their next plan up, 100GB is $20/month more. I will leave if they expect me to pay $59.99 for 100GB at 5Mbps.

During the UBB fiasco, they had $39.99 for 50GB, $59.99 for 100GB (or $20 for 50GB - even more than Bhell expects) and $119.99 for 300GB!!! Teksavvy gives you 300GB for $31.95 and unlimited for $39.99. Those expensive plans are still up. They also never communicated with customers during the UBB mess and when I called in, they told me they wouldn't offer insurance, only their profit taking plans while blaming Bhell for everything. Not very classy when their hand is clearly in the cookie jar too.

I have no affiliation with any other ISP, I just think that they need to be called out. I can't imagine how they are attracting new customers with what they are offering now. Their old deals were good, now they are brutal.

I must say Tech Support is still good and were always able to help me through any problems. I haven't had a price increase in my VoIP/Internet plan in 3 years, but the uncertainty of the "cap" will push me out if they do change my plan because they think 80GB is a heavy user.

Original Review:

I started off with Bell Sympatico. Shortly after that, I realized that the lite service I signed up for wasn't enough and I started looking at their full package. The price was/is steep, so I shopped around and found these guys through and got an excellent price through a work deal.

I bought their modem ($100- Speedtouch) and signed up for monthly service at $29.99 (in October 06). Over the past few months I had serious issues with my Bell landline, so I decided to go with their bundle digital phone and internet ($59.99/month).

When they switched me to the digital phone bundle they bumped me down from 4 meg to 3 meg service saying that the tech was concerned about stability issues with the phone. One short phone call to customer service got my line bumped up to 6 meg. They even called to confirm the speed was up and waited on the line until I was able to test it to be sure. I currently have the fastest Execulink connection on this site and am very satisfied with the speed. They don't throttle BT downloads like other ISP's do. I was downloading at 500 kB/s the other day with no problems.

I do have some echo at the beginning of phone calls, but I will call them and hopefully they can help me. Tech support is very patient and has worked through my setup and reconfigurations very quickly and efficiently. The phone problem is minor.

I am very happy with this ISP (a customer for about 16 months) and would recommend them highly.

member for 6.9 years, 1378 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Villnius See Profile

Good "Unlimited (grandfathered in). Fairly reliable"
Bad "Used to be 3mbps but reduced account to 1mbps without notice after price increase"
Overall "OK. The unlimited is nice, but current plans for new users are all capped"

I've been with them since 2000 or 2001 before Golden Triangle (golden.net) was acquired by Execulink. Back then it was 34.95 for 3mbps unlimited.

Around 2003, they offered me a 5 year contract locking in the price at 38.95 at the same 3mbps, unlimited. It was nice while it lasted.

The current price is 39.95/month and it's still unlimited but it's now reduced the speed to 1mbps at some point without notice. I used to think this was at my end, but after replacing my modem with a newer DSL2 one, nothing changed. When I checked it wasn't a mistake or a problem with the connection. Their system shows my account as a contract account with the speed left blank -- I could upgrade my speed, but I'd be capped and have to pay more. All their new plans are 3mbps and up, but are all capped and more expensive. It might not be worth it for new customers or for existing customers to upgrade to a higher speed with them.

It looks like there are some other ISPs offering service in the Toronto area that offer 3mbps to 6mbps DSL unlimited for the same price, so I'm thinking about switching providers. The only thing stopping me is that I still use my old golden.net email address for a lot of stuff, and I don't know how much hassle would be involved.

Comments:

Review by LondonOntGuy See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Nothing."
Bad "Everything."
Overall "Don't bother"

I signed up with these guys in 2005 and had fairly reliable service. At the time I had Rogers phone, which was Sprint previously before the buy out. When Rogers told me I need to sign up for their 'cable phone' or I'd lose my phone number, I switched to Execulink for both my phone and internet in a package deal. This was around September 2008.

It wasn't until about a year after that, I realized that there were problems with my building's intercom and the DSL connection. - Whenever I would get called on the intercom, I'd kicked offline. When I brought this to the attention to Exceculink, they didn't care and basically told me "Tough s**t" and that I should have informed them sooner of the issues. - It would almost always happen at night, with people randomly calling my intercom to be let in, and at the time I was working alot of night shifts. I always assumed that if my connection had been dropped in the middle of the night, that it was just Exceculink or Bell doing routine maintenance on the lines. How was I supposed to know about this? It wasn't until I made a topic about this here on DSL Reports that I finally figured out the problem.

Annoyed, I still kept them around because I didn't know there was anything better, and figured I'd have the same problems with any other DSL provider.

Come late 2009/early 2010, Execulink brought in their own version of UBB. From what I can remember, I ended up going with the 100 gig package, always watching what I downloaded for fear of going over.

I put up with this for about a month before I called and canceled my service, but they screwed the transfer date for my phone number for when I jumped to TekSavvy - My DSL connection was transferred with no issues on the date that it was supposed to have been. I ended up getting charged a full month for TWO DAYS of phone service with Execulink. I disputed this but got nowhere.

I can't recommend anyone go to Execulink. They are the most expensive game around when it comes to DSL, and have borderline awful tech support. The fact that they refused to do anything about the dropping of my DSL connection whenever the intercom was called is what really broke the camel's back.'

Just STAY AWAY. Anyone is better than these guys, hell, even going with Bell would be an upgrade.

Comments:

Review by weales See Profile

• Location: Hampton,ON
Good "Has giganews"
Bad "Prices always increase, charged me $2/month for an email address, 50 gig cap"
Overall "Go with Teksavvy or research before hand"

Having been a member of Golden Triangle (who was bought out by Execulink) for close to 7-8 years, I must say the service started to dive with the price increases back in 2008. It got worst in 2009 when they started charging me $2/month for my email address that just gets the billing email from them once a month, LOL?!

Now with it being 2010, they introduced a 50 gig cap without informing me when other members on this site have received a letter in the mail about this. The cap bugs me a bit but I would have loved to know about this first.

I've also been fighting with tech support to open a ticket with Bell because of some line problems I have been having recently. I'm sorry but it took me a week of fighting JUST to open a ticket?

The old Golden Triangle I knew is long but dead. In short, I'll either to be switching to Tekksavvy or one of the two wireless providers in my area.

Comments:

Review by apvm See Profile

• Location: London, ON
Good "Speed is constant"
Bad "Increase Rates $5 per year"
Overall "They are introdcing new rates with 50GB cap, No good anymore...I miss Golden.net"

I was a Golden.net customer and Execulink bought Golden a few years ago...they started to increase my rates $5 every year from 2008...increased to $38.80 (tax included) Jan 2009 and last month they informed me my rates will be increased again and with a 50GB cap starting Jan 2010, this is the final nail....I left them with no regret....they are not as good as the old golden.net and they have no respect for long term customers. bottom line is you can find better ISP elsewhere.

Comments:

Review by Vector_In See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Polite Service Rep!"
Bad "Unreliable speed, I miss Golden."
Overall "Same as the big boys"

·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
I have, I think 3 or 5 meg services. I'm not sure anymore. Service is little disappointing lately. latency is up since they move to Toronto from Kitchener. Speed is little radical. I'm been using Gnet modem for the last 4 years. I have been busy lately to check my line out. I'll see if things out better or worse. I'll update soon.

Just test today 10-22-07 »/linequality/nil/2298054

UPDATE: 12-22-09

Sorry to say I just left them after 8 years! January 1 I would be charged UBB. Price went up with only 50 gigs of Usages!! Usually 50Gigs would be enough but I have 3 teenagers and sometimes things get out hand! So Good bye EXucelink! Still having speed issues. Service Rep still friendly and helpful.

Comments:

Review by aheintz See Profile

• Location: Plattsville,ON
Good "Generally very fast"
Bad "Constantly raising prices"
Overall "Was a good value untill the begining of 2009"

I've been with Execulink (well formally Golden) for a long time now. I have a little issues now and then with speed issues but they only last generally for a day. There rates went up the first of June but they Grandfather everyone with old rates. I have had no caps in downloading rumour has it there is a 60gb soft cap. Download rate is about 526kBps or about 4.2mpbs. Would I leave Not at all these guys are amazing.

Have used tech support for some issues and they even called me back a couple of days later to make sure that everything was working great

update. I still like these guys however Bell Canada is really messing everyone now. I can't bash these guys at all as it's not their problem even I would want to get better then 30kBps of traffic

Nov 16 2009 update: They uped their price on me but still cheaper the bhell. I know I don't get the highest speeds available for DSL tiers but with UBB and the dumb prices the bhell wants I'll stick with them for now. On a contact to keep this price for now but looking at Teksavvy once ours is up as LD rates are half of what I'm currently paying.

December 14th update. Got a letter in the mail today and my rate are bascially going to almost triple now. Calling them tomorrow to find out as I'm to be on a contract for another 4 months with fixed rates. Changed the Value for money since Rogers offered a better speed and even with the max over usage charge cheaper then Execulink. Teksavvy still have some good plans and going to switch over to them in the new year.

Comments:

Review by indica63 See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "none"
Bad "sales and service and tech support"
Overall "good service for someone that knows nothing about dsl speed"

package phone + high speed internet 5 Meg plus connection combined 59.95 per month plus router rental and unlimited long distance. equipment speed touch 585 gateway

order submitted on Aug 28 th as of Oct. 5th internet service is still not functioning properly.

Phone service over 2 weeks to connect as ticket would not be put into bell for line service.

wrong equipment sent to replace faulty equipment modem sent instead of wireless gateway.

cannot get speed tests over 1 Meg

this company has been nothing but incompetent since day one equipment sent to wrong address constantly, being sent to have equipment tested at outlets that don't have the connection to test a 5 Meg connection to gateway as they are on a lite connection 756 kb downloads, no communication between departments , no supervisors can be spoke to after 5 pm. Phone service now that it is functioning is great crystal clear reception. Been with execulink now since sept. 2007 after months of being after them for slow speeds bell being out to the house 5 time always told it was our lines. Well the bottom line was they finally did what they had to do we needed to telnet into the Tompson gateway and set it for multi operation. Now getting speeds up to 4.5 meg service is great BUT DO YOU THINK I CAN GET THEM TO PRO RATE MY ACCOUNT FOR THE POOR SERVICE NO BUT THEY HAD NO PROBLEM ADDING 50.00 TO IT FOR A TECH THAT CAME OUT TO CHECK THE MODEM AND DID NOTHING. MANAGEMENT IS FAR FROM COMPETENT.

Comments:

Review by FOJO27 See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "Very friendly tech support"
Bad "Unreliable, inconsistent internet/home phone; incredibly slow speed"
Overall "I'll be leaving Execulink..."

Unfortunately, I've been experiencing the same thing as the previous reviewer (juan_hunglo) described--and it's been going on THREE weeks now.

My service was installed on WED OCT 31, 2007.

I have internet & home phone with Execulink--I didn't want to go with Rogers (they're expensive as all get out for starters) but now I'm regretting signing up with Execulink.

I've done daily speed checks & have yet to reach anything above 2.3MB/s--I'm supposed to get "up to 5MB" but not even close. Most days I'm lucky if I reach around 10% of the speed I should have & this is incredibly frustrating! My last speed test showed around 350kb/s download speed...

And I was told the exact same thing--"it's the modem, let's try swapping for a new one, that should fix the problem." Sadly, it didn't. My most recent call to tech support the other night ended with the person telling me her best guess was that it's now the "ATA" (the router) that's causing the problems with dropped calls/no ring tone + terrible speed.

I also was told a repair ticket was made for me but then I got a call the next day by a different tech support person who told me the ticket was cancelled--Bell "fixed" the problem by "decreasing the upload", as the tech explained, and I was advised to call back in a few days to let Execulink know if that fixed everything.

It didn't--and that wasn't my last call to tech either. It's just incredibly frustrating (to say the least!) that I can't pick up my phone & make a call or receive one at any time of the day & not worry that the call will drop, there will be an echo throughout the conversation or that there won't be a dial tone period. As for my internet connection & speed--the connection constantly drops and the speed is painfully slow, so bad that my browser won't load pages because it times out.

I've got a fast computer & had no problems whatsoever with my previous provider (Mountain Cablevision in Hamilton, Ontario). One of the reasons I decided to go with Execulink when I moved back to Waterloo was that I enjoyed years of phenomenal service from Mountain, being that it was a smallish business, and I was hoping for the same with a non-country-wide provider. Apparently size doesn't matter in this case...

I've had Execulink for three weeks as of today & I've been looking through this forum, reading, try to see if there's a reason to stay with them, give them another chance to try to fix whatever the heck is wrong.

To be completely honest, one HUGE concern I have surrounding a stoppage of my service is that Execulink will bill me (via pre authorized payments from my bank) even though I've had useless service the ENTIRE three weeks I've been a customer. Out of principle I refuse to pay for service I haven't had the pleasure to enjoy but I fear that they will try to take money after I discontinue service.

I'm just happy that there's a place here for people to read & discuss their issues with their service providers. I wish I had found the reviews for Execulink prior to signing up (I'd been using the site for speed tests for years), but I guess you live, you learn. Off to Rogers I go...

Comments:

Review by juan_hunglo See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "FRIENDLY, COURTEOUS TECH SUPPORT PEOPLE"
Bad "MEDIOCRE INTERNET SPEED"
Overall "NOT RECOMMENDED"

SUMMARY (This is a long post):
I will never recommend Execulink's “service” to anyone.
I parted ways with Execulink a while back and am kicking myself for not doing it much, much sooner.

HISTORY:
I am located in Toronto. My first DSL experience was with an internet provider whose accounts were taken over by Execulink in 2006. With the previous provider, I was promised an internet service of up to 3 Mbps and was typically getting 2 - 2.2 Mbps. This was sufficient for my modest needs. I didn't do much downloading.

SPEED/CONNECTION:
Earlier this year, I was contemplating signing up for an internet sports service for streaming video and I started to track the download speeds I was getting from Execulink. The down load speeds measured by speakeasy.com never showed a download of over 1.5 Mbps and generally the speeds were at 400-800 Kbps. I can count on my fingers the number of times the speed even got close to 1.5 Mbps over a period of 4 months with the speed checked regularly. Also, I was having problems connecting at times, or I would lose the line when connected.

SALES:
I called the Execulink sales department and asked the rep. what speeds I should be getting. She checked my account and told me “Up to 5 Mbps.” When I asked her what that meant in real terms, she again stated, “Up to 5 Mbps.” I could hear the tension in her voice. I think she had probably had previous conversations with other unhappy users about this topic and was bracing herself for a confrontation. I could hear the relief in her voice when I thanked her and asked to be transferred to the technical support people.

TECH SUPPORT:
The tech support people at Execulink are the nicest people. Courteous and friendly. When you phone or e-mail they will empathize with your problem. They will check the line on their end, will ask you to reset your modem, unplug your phones, change your filters, and some other pieces of busy work which will probably not solve your problem. I came to think of this as being “run around the bases.”
Ultimately, they will probably tell you that they believe that you have a bad modem.

MODEMS:
When I opened my account originally, I was provided with a DSL modem by the original supplier. The first time that Execulink Tech support told me that my modem was probably bad, I said, “Hey it's your modem and Execulink should be providing a replacement, if required.” I was told that the modem was now my modem and therefore if I needed a new modem I would have to buy one or Execulink would rent one to me. This is a point where, if I had known then what I know now, I should have cancelled Execulink. Instead, I elected to rent a modem which Execulink shipped to me promptly. The new modem worked nicely but my speed did not increase in the slightest. A while later, when I had trouble again, the rental modem was deemed to be bad (by Execulink tech support), and another modem was sent to me. When I had connection problems some weeks later, tech support again told me that my modem was probably the culprit and I should call in the next day for a replacement. The following day, with no changes on my end, the modem hooked up beautifully (but the speed was still poor). It obviously wasn't the modem. I emailed my account cancellation notice to Execulink and sent back the modem.

PROMISES, PROMISES:
Execulink did not provide a speed even remotely close to that provided by my original vendor. The term “Up to 5 Mbps” is just weasel words.

In mid year, 2007, an Execulink tech rep. said that he would open a ticket with Bell to have my line checked. This never happened. When I spoke with the same tech a while later and told him that I had never heard from Bell, he said that Bell had made some line adjustments at a central location. I do not believe that Execulink ever asked Bell to check my line.

Execulink documentation states that if you rent a modem from Execulink and it has to be exchanged, it will pay the cost to have the “old” modem couriered back to them. Not true. I returned two modems and in both cases paid the return cost myself. Exculink at no time offered reimbursement of my shipping costs. However, when the original rental unit was sent out, Execulink had no problem billing me for shipping costs.

BILLING:
Execulink's billing is flawless. No “Up To” about it. No matter how poor the service, the full $ amount is billed each month.

CONCLUSIONS:
I wasn't a demanding customer. If anything I was too easygoing – and naive. Hindsight is 20-20 as the saying goes. Knowing what I know now, I would have cancelled when I was originally “sold” to Execulink by my original provider.

I do not understand why a company would not make a reasonable effort to keep a paying customer. Execulink's business model must be an interesting one.

I can see why a website like Broadband Reports.com exists. There’s so much good information. I wish I had come across this site a year or two back – I could have probably saved myself a lot of aggravation.

It's now quite obvious to me that not all ISPs are created equal. Some are just bl**dy awful.