Eastlink Cable page on DSLReports

Review by bmr50 See Profile

• Location: Sudbury,ON
Good "Offer better speeds than old company"
Bad "Prices keep going up for no reason"
Overall "Service could be a lot better,but no one gets what they pay for anymore"

No longer with Persona as they were bought out by East link,not much different other than the service is not as good,they laid off the local staff and use a call center somewhere in the maritime provinces in Canada.Still with eastlink,their service has improved a great deal,still not many options around to choose from.

Comments:

Review by c.kozub87

• Location: Purgato

i have been having bad luck with cable. this is the first time i have
had to deal with cable so i chose bell. bell sucked. long story
short, i canceled bell and went to eastlink. they set me up with a
appointment over a week after i signed up so i waited. i was home
well before the cable man was to show. i saw a van pull up to my home.
i got no call or no knock. i called eastlink at about 7 and they said
the guy was there at 5 30 and couldnt come back because he was clocked
out... i have to now wait till next week to get him back. i am so
frustrated with tv in itself i just want to not have it. i know it
doesnt seem like a big problem but the service reps didnt seem to care
at all and didnt want to help me.. needless to say i will not be
booking anything with eastlink anytime soon.. or at least till i cool
off

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:
burkebri

join:2012-11-09
Halifax, NS

installer doesn't show up and lies about it

My daughter waited 5 1/2 hours for the installer to show up. he never did. When I called to find out where he was they told me he had shown up and no one was home (not true). I asked why he didn't call the contact number and was told he did and there was no answer (not true, my daughter had no missed calls). They said it was now too late in the day and everyone has gone for the weekend. My suggestion, don't go for the Friday afternoon installation unless you live upstairs from a pub. Now she has to start the booking process all over again and wait another week minimum for internet access, assuming he shows up! In the bad old days, 20 years ago in Montreal Videotron had similar performance. They have cleaned up their act and now it's time for Eastlink to wake up.

Review by Crescent See Profile

• Location: canada
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (month by month)

member for 11.5 years, 3081 visits, last login: 1.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by canadiancree See Profile

• Location: Picton,ON
Good "Everything"
Bad "They dont' offer service in Ontario"
Overall "I wish I could have brought their service back to Ontario with me. They're miles ahead of the junk here"

When I moved out to PEI in '09, I was advised to get Eastlink over Aliant (or as one local put it, Bell with a different name and same service), and boy am I glad I did. In the three years I had service with them I could the non-power related outages they had on one hand and have fingers remaining, and they were all quickly resolved. Whatever I told it to do, it did and then some. Reliable, and comperably priced to Ontario offerings with more features, more freedom, and best of all, no year long contract lockin. Made it painful to move from such awesome service to the choad that is the Ontario ISP marketplace.

member for 10.4 years, 788 visits, last login: 1.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by ericp1985 See Profile

Good "Fast 20mb/s Connection, No Download Caps, Good Price"
Overall "Best Provider in my area!!"

I signed up with Eastlink about 4 months ago. The price for their internet service by it self is 62.95$ + 2.95 Wifi modem + taxes. It is well worth the price in my area since the competitors only have dsl 6mb with caps at around 45$.

All in all the speed as been consistent and never noticed any downtime. What I really like about Eastlink is that it provides a quality internet connection with no download caps.

I will not be switching providers anytime soon!!

Comments:

Review by acrufox See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Excellent speeds, DOCSIS 3.0"
Bad "Incompetant at resolving problems beyond the pole!"
Overall "If you have problems, just switch to Aliant FibreOP!"

Now that Aliant FibreOP is rolling out in the city, I thought this would be a great time to rewrite this review.

We switched from Aliant DSL to Eastlink to choose the lesser of two evils. The choice was either really slow 128K reliable DSL or cable; which was a lot faster but not as reliable. As time passed, connection issues with Eastlink became more apparent. We had crew after crew out to the house that had the mantra: replacing coax and splitters multiple times would magically fix the problems. Eventually this led to a technician getting a shock off my computer case (bad fan in computer) and driving a grounding rod outside the house and laying blame on the house wiring.

Eastlink then came out with DOCSIS 3.0 and I had hoped a new modem might alleviate the connection issues. So I picked a new ARRIS modem up and the following day the node which services our area died. We lost all Eastlink based services during this time.

After this node was replaced, the connection was rock solid for 1 1/2 years. We even decided on a 2nd connection for our family when they implemented 250GB caps on their 30 megabit service (now 40). Everything ran great until June, at which point they had a large service outage in my area. During the summer of 2011 we had service outages at random times of the day for our HDTV, telephone, and internet. Eastlink wasted a month of me calling in these problems only to have one of their engineers call me and inform me there was an ongoing issue in my area they couldn't track down. I was told to continue calling it in whenever the internet went down to help them locate the problem.

That was almost 5 months ago. Eastlink has this wonderful knack of making you start over at square 1 for the same problem. Eventually when I didn't have their engineers cancelling my service call, I had one dispatched out to the house. He checked all the coax, splitters, and even the drop. The technician told me this ongoing issue I was having was beyond the pole and he wasn't allowed to work on that (cited a bad amp as an example) He said maintenance was responsible for addressing these issues but not to get my hopes up. The technician told me I would get a call from them in a few days. I never got that call.

So here we are October 22nd, 2011 and the problem has not been fixed. I contacted Eastlink yet again today while the modems were having problems remaining synced. He noted I was indeed having problems and then proceeds to put me in for another service dispatch for Sunday to come out to look at things at the house. This was exactly what I did during the last service call to get the problem escalated to maintenance. Again Eastlink sending me to square 1, no wonder he told me not to get my hopes up...

When the time comes and FiberOP from Aliant is rolled out on my street, it won't be a hard decision to dump both internet connections with Eastlink. I want a working internet connection. I have been paying full price for unreliable service for almost 5 months, I certainly do not feel like a valued Eastlink Customer.

Anything positive I had to say about Eastlink disappeared long ago.

10/22/2011: Tweeted to Eastlink about this ongoing issue, someone called to confirm the problem. By now, obviously, the problem isn't occurring and we're told we need to call while it is occurring. I did that earlier this morning with a representative on live chat, he even noticed I was having problems with the connection! All he wanted to do was book another tech on another day when this problem isn't happening. I've called enough times that there should be enough on file to do something about this. I shouldn't have to keep fielding these calls like it is the very first time I've called. I work nights, I cannot be up 24 hours a day to provide technical information.

Modem stats as of 10/22/2011 10AM: »imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18···s3f.jpg/

Modem stats as of 10/22/2011 12PM: »imageshack.us/photo/my-images/5/stats4u.jpg/

Modem stats as of 10/22/2011 10PM: »imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16···s5z.jpg/

1.6-3.3 Million uncorrectable errors in the space of an hour is NOT normal. I'll keep adding to this review until they resolve it or I can switch to an alternative.

Comments:
Yourowntech

join:2011-11-14
Niagara Falls, ON

Your problem

Plug an analog cable line into your tv. Watch the picture on channels 4 thru 6 and then 14. I am almost definite you will see a white line go from top to bottom on your screen! Flashing intermittently. If you see this book another service call and show the tech. And inform him to let his main. Tech know that there is a faulty AGC on your leg of the distribution. You can see that your SNR drops into the noise floor on US 3. And your signal levels are very low and drop even lower. As a tech when you see this kind of movement in the span of an hour and at that frequency. I would always say AGC.
acrufox

join:2004-07-14
Canada

Re: Your problem

Would a TV card work? We got rid of our last analog TV over a year ago so we don't have any other TV to try.
Yourowntech

join:2011-11-14
Niagara Falls, ON

Re: Your problem

Sure would! As long as it has a coax spigot on it you will see the analog

Review by NeverForever See Profile

• Location: Charlottetown,PE
Good "Reliable connection(almost no downtime), price seems decent for 100Mbit connection"
Bad "Do not always get close to advertised speed, only 50% or less a lot of the time."
Overall "Great company, services, tech support, customer service, good prices"

I have been with Eastlink for the past several years. I started when they had their 5Mbit cable Internet several years ago, and am now subsribed to their 100Mbit service. The bandwidth seems to jump quite a bit, sometimes I get close to the advertised 100Mbit and other times I get much lower(under 50Mbit). This could be an issue on my end using wireless with a router. I'll test it out with straight connection from modem to computer with ethernet and see if that changes the speed. I would definitely say that Eastlink is one of, if not the best, ISP in Canada and maybe even North America for the price/bandwidth ratio. I have rarely had any issues with the service going down; I can only remember a handful of times when the service was interrupted over the past several years. The installations have always gone smooth with hardly any trouble(I've had their services at multiple locations).

All-in-all Eastlink is a fast, reliable network with good price points. I don't think you could go wrong by signing up if they're in your area.

Note: This is a very quick review so if I think of something better to write and can edit my review then I will.

Comments:

Review by hunterjb See Profile

• Location: Halifax,NS
Good "Very easy to use/ Tech support easy to deal with/ Down,up Speed!"
Overall "Great company/ no problems"

I've been with Eastlink for about 9 years now, and have had no problems even when moving.

I have my phone and internet with them. When I moved I only had to let them know when the move was happening and then were able to move my service that day. I didn't go a day without. This took place the last week of Aug. a very busy time to move in Halifax(big university town) they had a lot of moves and hookups to do.

I haven't had any real interruption. Anytime I've spoken with tech support it is a very quick call and all my questions are answered.

The equipment I have is a Motorola modem. Setup was very easy(They came and did it). I didn't have to pay for any of the equipment.

Comments:

Review by donaldk See Profile

• Location: Halifax,NS
Good "Great Speeds"
Bad "Installation process"
Overall "Great... but if you have a new development its hell to get installed."

New Motto: Eastlink - It's NOT that Easy, because we make everything far more difficult than it needs to be!

I have been with Eastlink for many years during my postings in Halifax. My current subscribed service is the complete watch, surf, and talk bundle. Speeds are not an issue most of the time except during heavy peak hours where the node may bog down to about 50% of capped speeds.

The problem with Eastlink lies with its transfer and installation process . I lived in a Windsor Park PMQ apartment and just bought a newly built townhouse so thus I initiated a transfer of service request. My site survey process started on May 9, 2011 after many phone calls. It took one month to get the new side of Berts Drive in Fairview wired up – at this point all my neighbours already have given up on Eastlink and were with Bell. While this process is happening I have had numerous false final install appointments booked unannounced and messages left on the dead phone line (as I get phone through Eastlink as well) even though I gave Eastlink an alternate cell phone number to use during this process. I also gave my wife access to control my cable account but they did not reflect this properly in the system (more later).

Twice, my wife was left disappointment with the installation crews. Keep in mind when you read this, I have a pregnant wife and I want my house phone installed ASAP for 911 reasons as I am gone often serving my country in the navy. Yes we both have cells, but they suck for 911 as the dispatcher needs the address info verbally given vice a landline which sends that automatically when the last “1” is depressed (so if unable to stay on she could drop the phone). First was when an installer showed up 5 hours late on May 18, 2011, went to check the demark box outside of the house for the drop, and came back to my wife and said no service has been put to the box yet. The installer also said he shouldn't have been given this call yet as the site survey and construction has not been done yet. Another call to Eastlink yielded that they were waiting for permits to go through seeking permission to string wires up on NSPower's poles. Many calls went to Eastlink seeking updates on the site survey, yet nothing was updated from Eastlink engineering division to my file even after many directions from customer care to do so because I was about to pull the plug on this and go with Bell. My next door neighbour got fed up with waiting for Eastlink and ordered Bell --- whose site survey took only 48 hours to complete and the neighbourhood was wired.

Fast forward to Thurs June 9th, 2011. Eastlink construction crews were working outside my home wiring the street -- FINALLY- and my wife saw them doing their thing. She went up and asked the pole guys when she would be able to call Eastlink to initiate the final installation process. They said as soon as they finishing laying the drops on the street in a couple hours she can call them. So my wife waited a few hours and called Eastlink customer care and this is when we found out that they never made record to have given her access to the account - one very angry phone call from me to Eastlink CSR fixed that. I called Eastlink later that day and asked them to proceed with the final installation, yet the notes on my account were still saying the site survey permits were still waiting to be processed... yet I know service has been put to my place (right hand not talking to the left hand).

I decide what the heck and decide to hook up the cable inside my house to a TV. After stripping the ends of the coax and crudely using a splitter as a joiner, sure enough full crystal clear cable TV. I decide to try my internet modem once I checked to make sure all TV channels came in clear. It synced up and a speed test revealed 40Mbps down, and 2Mbps up which is what I subscribed for. I called Eastlink tech support as it was late in the evening to see what my account status was and they still said the site survey had not gone through. I asked them to initiate an install for my phone service but they said they could not proceed as that note was still on the account. I advised them that my house drop was installed and is in working order (except the drop coax and the internal coax runs need proper crimping) and that I have working TV and internet. As I lived in an apartment before which had an MDU phone switch, I did not have my own Eastlink phone modem yet --- and this is where I found out that they will only give you one with a truck roll (no over the counter). No truck roll will happen as long as that site survey note stays on the account (which is already outdated by a long shot).

Finally, Saturday, the planets aligned in Eastlink's organisation and they called my wife saying the site survey was complete (yeah... no shit Sherlock we already knew this for the last 3 days ). They also gave me an appointment on June 17th in the afternoon to complete the install. So for now, I await their installation to officially complete to get my house phone working again, and enjoy the jerry rigged connection at my breaker box which is at least enough to get my internet modem and living room TV working. As a result of Eastlink’s procrastination on this install I did cancel my digital TV and PVR rental as my wife got used to being without it and we had Netflix before I lost service when I moved. Soon I'll probably be cancelling TV service with them all together once I get FTA satellite set up on the house. When Bell rolls out FiberOP in Halifax it’s going to get REAL interesting as to what I decide to do.

Comments:

Review by living87 See Profile

• Location: Dashwood,ON

works great now