Eastlink Cable page on DSLReports

Review by nauru See Profile

Good "-"
Bad "Price keeps going up for no reason, no options for light users."
Overall "Avoid."

This is a mediocre company that jacks up prices on a yearly basis despite not improving their service in any valuable way. They charge you for setup, force you to use the modem they provide, and try to charge a monthly fee for turning on the built-in wireless capability of the modem/router unit. They also try to get you to buy useless "security packages", although I suppose these are like a tax on being completely computer illiterate.

Avoid these guys if you have a viable non-Robellus alternative (I, unfortunately, don't).

Comments:

Review by digbee See Profile

• Location: Halifax,NS
Good "not much anymore"
Bad "everything is throttled, consistently slow speed tests, pathetic customer support"
Overall "certified rip off"

For 6 months speed tests have shown a drastic drop, consistently in the 2mbit or even lower range. Customer support will tell you there is nothing they can do when your paying for a 15mbit connection. False advertising if you ask me.

Comments:

Review by jericho7 See Profile

• Location: Halifax,NS
Good "good reliable service , hardly any downtime"
Bad "they call a 5/1 mbit service a 15/1 mbit service"
Overall "don't get the 15/1 service as its throttled pretty bad and its no better then the 5/1 package"

My suggestion to anyone considering getting the 15/1mbit package, DON'T, it's no better then the 5/1mbit package. The speedtest results you see are from Eastlinks own speedtest page within there network, it doesn't give the actual speed outside of Eastlink's network cause they throttle everything to death outside there network to 5mbits down, some HTTP sites you will get good speeds but who needs 15mbits to view web pages or to even stream media, you don't so my suggestion is for people to just save some money and stick to the 5/1 package

member for 13.6 years, 1769 visits, last login: 3.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by matt_r6 See Profile

• Location: Dartmouth,NS
Good "Extremely Fast Download"
Bad "Extremely Slow Upload"
Overall "Great if you never plan to upload"

This is the better provider in Nova Scotia for high speed downloads.

As others have said, the tech support/customer service works on a "sorry, but no" basis. Only way to get any kind of "yes" response is to talk to a manager, or the managers manager. When I first started getting charged, they were double billing me and initially refused to reinburse me for the second billing! (settled it now, finally, months later)

My main problem with eastlink is if you do any kind of online gaming, there is not enough upstream to host a game. In some games (ex. Formula One:CE for PS3) if you get designated as host (you don't get to choose), the game will start but it will fail shortly thereafter. In Warhawk for PS3, you get tested before you can host a game, and this is a game that supports up to 32 players. I can not host a game larger than 10 players. Most people can do at least 24. Some 32.

I use bittorrent legally to get the YDL Linux for ps3 (freeware). Eastlink throttles bittorrent so bad I was lucky to break the 10KB/s barrier on my upstream. It took days to download what should have taken hours (they throttle download too). I know they are throttling because once I started using encrypted transfers, the speed started to rise to what seems to be a blanket upstream cap of 30KB/s. I know torrents only perform as well as the swarm, but it was obvious throttling after downloading it 5 times from different trackers.

In any event. Download good (except torrents), Upload terrible.

Comments:

Review by magwa999 See Profile

• Location: Louisbourg,NS
Good "?"
Bad "line compression"
Overall "for the money and location not a bad deal."

As with any cable company you never get the advertised speed but seems really less with this one. I have used several different ones throughout Canada and US and find that Comcast had the best speeds with little or no compression. The bottom line is having cable internet on Cape Breton is a blessing compression or no compression this beats dial-up by a mile but as with any luxury in life it costs!

Comments:

Review by lmno See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Convenience. Bundle phone, cable and internet for one reasonable rate."
Bad "Internet is really becoming more and more unreliable."
Overall "I you do alot of bandwidth heavy activities, you may want to explore other options."

I have been subscribing to Eastlink Hi-Speed Internet for the past two years now and I have been noticing a gradual decline in the speed that originally attracted me to the service. I have always visited sites like BroadbandReports.com and PCPitstop.com and my internet speed has been roughly cut in half since I originally began subscribing. Back about a year ago my average downloads were at about 3500-4000kbps, with my uploads at about 700-900kbps. Now I'm lucky to get 1500kbps download(while often slipping below the 1mbit mark), w/ 500kbps upload. That's quite a decrease in speed and it's been that way for the past year! My setup hasn't changed. I keep a top notch system which is used primarily for online gaming, which is why speed is very important to me. My brother has Aliant DSL and while it isn't as fast as cable is at peak times, it is much more consistant. Today as I'm writing this, I swear my speeds have dropped as low as 276kbps down and 247kbps up. That's just pathetic. To top it all off, Eastlink have become so nonchalant when it comes to support. You really get the feeling they just don't care. Anyways I think I'll be switching over to Aliant if Eastlink don't resolve this issue.

member for 11.2 years, 12 visits, last login: 10.9 years ago