CableOne page on DSLReports

Review by Gem See Profile

Good "Very nice folks in local office and excellent installers."
Bad "Slow ping rates "
Overall "Even more Overpriced than before"

Prices continue to rise faster than almost anything else we buy. Even faster than gas prices some years.

We cut back from a bundled price for phone/internet/tv to only Internet and Cable TV, but our total monthly cable bill is still more than $100 per month.

One good thing is that the company still hires great people ... once you can get through to them, and that often takes a while.

member for 9.1 years, 3280 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by BimmerE38FN See Profile

• Location: Boise,Ada,ID
Good "Good over all services"
Bad "No IPv6, support as of yet."
Overall "Great ISP provider for general and gaming internet"
(ratings well above consensus)

Been with them for years. Took them a while to get DOCSIS 3 going however eventually did late spring of 2011. Have had a few ISP outages and presume not more then others ISPs due to technical difficulties. Great ISP here in Idaho.

Just went from 50Gb cap limitation to 100Gb cap limitation for free. I was going over the 50Gb cap each month due to a new roommate addition to the house hold. Asked them about the cap sizes an said, we can up grade you no problem. I asked how much? Free they said. Done deal.

CableOne has been great service for me. Works great for general Internet and gaming, specially with a Motorola SB 6 series modem I have. Great service.

UPDATE: 08/06/2013

C1 updated there tier Internet cable packages. Now they offer 50/60/70Mb down speeds however only 2Mb Up-link speeds are seen across the board. Not worthy of upgrading to 60 or 70 unless they can provide Up-link speeds higher than 2Mb IMO. Come on C1, Lets get into faster Up-link speeds.

UPDATE: 10/20/2013

I think C1 updated there UP link speeds from 2Mb to 3Mb possibly with out saying anything. I've noticed on my routers speeds tests and speed sites, I'm getting over 3mb on the up on results. Possible that my email to them after they updated there Tier pricing regarding cost vs upgrades on the UP Link and speed packages and didn't show any speed upgrades on the UP Links, maybe they decided to afford giving 3Mb on the UP. Nice C1, Nice and thank you very much. Will see if this is official or not. Any one else notice 3Mb on the UP?

Comments:

BimmerE38FN

·CableOne

No big problems with C1...

Never had a daily drop or any issues with C1. On occasion there have been a few drops, there at fault. I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.

These can also be issues of bad internet services.

I have been with C1 since 2003 I think.

Boise, ID

Re: No big problems with C1...

I noticed a 1Mb increase on the UP Link speed. Now at 3Mb. Thank you C1. Still love C1 for an ISP.

@spcsdns.net

Problems

The first day I had cable one installed, I had to have 2 service techs out. Since then, I've had to have several techs out. Why don't I go with another company? Cable one pays my city to be the only cable company in town. Really???!!!!!

Re: Problems

Not sure. Maybe bad HW on the ISP side or techs don't know what they are doing or could be that your neighborhood is congested with other cable one users. Be sure to install a Motorola SB 6 series modem. They work well.

Re: Problems

Nope, now the cable box is turning itself off after about 5 mins of viewing. It will not turn back on until after about 30 mins. This along with all of the other instances I've had service techs out since I established service in September, I'm sick of Cableone!!!!!!

Boise, ID
Ya, need to contact them. Ask for level 2 or 3 tier support. Good Luck.

Thanks

Review by John Patrick See Profile

• Location: Sioux City,Woodbury,IA
Good "Up and running in hours when using my own modem."
Bad "None been with them for years great service."
Overall "Best in the Tri-State area"
(ratings well above consensus)

On the 50Mbps/3Mbps. Very low down time and rock solid connection low pings very easy to stream YouTube videos or Netflix. I always recommend to family and friends to dump Century link and get Cable One. Also buy your own modem preferably Motorola brand, will save some money in the long run instead of renting from Cable One.

member for 13.3 years, 4916 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

dale avant

@cableone.net

No internet service

My name is Dale Avant, I am a partner in Quad A inc, we use Cable One internet service at a store we own doing check cashing, money sending, etc.. The night of 6/10/2013 1:30 am Cable One had an outage I understand that does happen. The employees, at our location 1821 Andrews Hwy., began calling Cable One at 7:30 am find out when the internet might be working. They called later in the day and were told the internet was working on Cable One's side. We tried unpluging & replugging the moden, the router, & the switch. We had no luck. During this time we were unable to send or receive money make money orders do our daily buisness. I drove 60 miles after they had no luck & began checking wires plugs you name it. I then open the router and began checking settings. I pay extra for a static ip. I was unable to ping the public ip , but I was able to ping the gateway. We had changed nothing for 3 weeks on the router I had replaced it and all worked well untill 06/10/2013 at 1:30am. I finally changed the public ip to dhcp the internet came right up. I decided the problem was the static ip was not registering. I called Cable One at 1:30 am 06/11/2013 and spoke with a tech #1112 ticket# 13710605. The tech told me it was my router I assurred her it was not my router as it had been working fine untill 1:30am 6/10/2013. The tech assurred me it was the router and in fact she was right. We found the mac address was not the one that was registered to the public ip. I want to know if this was so important why did my router work for 3 weeks. I saw the mac address was not correct then was told it may take up to 24 hours more to register the new mac address. I told the tech I was going to tell Cable One the tech did stay with me and not quit, but I am still here with no connection to my bank and the tech was unable to help me I was just out of luck. I just feel like we had already been down for a day the tech should have been able to fix this issue. Thank you for taking time to read my comment.
Dale Avant

wayne

@qwest.net

cable one internet is a joke

I would like to post here that cable one has issues also they like to gouge there customers on there internet. yes cable one gives you 300gb a month and also 50mb speed but they took away the
12:00am to 8:00am option where your not monitored. the fact is there still doing the same ol way that they do business screw the customers. I have nothing positive to say about Cable One..

Review by jasonkradiog See Profile

• Location: Marks,Quitman,MS
Good "Sometimes reaches full speed potential"
Bad "Sometimes doesn't reach full speed potential. Videos often lag."
Overall "Cable One will disconnect you without notice for going over a usage cap."

I have put up with Cable One's sub par service for years. I have accepted various slowdowns, lagging videos, and months of issues connecting to the Internet. When they work fine, they are a decent provider, and the quality has been mostly stable over the last year. However customer service skills are always lacking. After 10 years with the company, I was disconnected due to "using too much Internet". The problem is that they sent me a letter saying I had until 9/3 to work things out with the company. The date is 8/20 of my disconnection. I call them back asking for a way to get back online at any price and two supervisors told me there is absolutely nothing I can do and no amount that I could pay them to get back online today. I have to wait for a reply from a different department. This isn't a good way to treat a customer of 10 years and why does the company even have usage caps anyway??? Avoid Cable One and go with C Spire's planned fiber product in the state of Mississippi if you can. They say it will be unlimited!!

Comments:
ceyko

join:2007-05-21
Plano, TX

Concur

Generally same issue here. We upgraded service on the date requested and still got disconnected.

50m down is great if you don't have a 300G cap that I was not aware of as of the warning.

Re: Concur

I've always got notices either in email or a pop-up on the browser that we are approaching the limit or have just gone over. I wonder if it happens continually, then maybe you might get disconnected. You can always call C1 and ask them about raising the cap. I did. Users should figure out where the usage is coming from. Close yoru browsers and stop torrents or downloading all the time. That with streaming video will be a major factor.

Review by jakex_iii See Profile

• Location: Rio Rancho,Sandoval,NM
Good "always ON; beats DSL"
Bad "tech support and followup"
Overall "Service since June'2014 has been Horrible; 6-7/50Mb at prime; best35/50Mb. No Solutions"

7'2006:
I can never get the 3Mb service advertised. Local support indicates a problem but is never resolved. Complaints to Corporate management never addressed. Unresolved problems "appear" to fall thru some sort of black-hole.

6'2007:
Speed problem finally fixed after sending letter to corporate Executive level.
BUT, followup for questions asked that do not have 'obvious' answers still remain unanswered.

2'2009:
Since upgrading to the 5Mb service the speeds have been consistently at that level. I rarely call Tech Services so I cannot vouch for their level of support. When I do call it is for an estimate for a localized network problem fix. This has happened only 2 times in the past year+.

7'2014:
Starting in June'2014 their speeds and response time for page loading has been Horrible. Multiple calls to Tech indicated a 'known saturation level', but no solution has been indicated. What was once an 85-90% effective page loading response is not less that 10% during Prime time; 35-40% off-hours.
Unacceptable. Ready to write letter to GM (Rio Rancho, NM).

Comments:

BimmerE38FN

·CableOne

C1 and Modem single and services...

I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For DSL or Fiber service lines, ensure that the ISP is using good working phone or cable lines to the DSL modem and that the phone lines are filtered correctly. For cable Internet, RG-6 coaxial cable is needed, not RG-59. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. I recommend having the ISP service physically check the lines going from the out side to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.

Review by Woody1193 See Profile

• Location: Joplin,Jasper,MO
Good "Speed decent, doesn't censor"
Bad "Tiny data cap, unreliable during peak hours"
Overall "Would pay for better if we could get it"

We've had CableOne for a number of years - to be honest, I don't remember when we got it. I'm simply writing because I think people in the Joplin area need to know what their service is like before shelling out the coin for a contract.

CableOne, at least in my area provides me with 50Mb/s download and 3Mb/s upload for $50.00 a month. They are easily the best ISP available in the Joplin area - the only others being AT&T and some satellite companies. They have the highest speed available and while I don't know how well AT&T does, cable is usually a better solution than DSL.

That being said, I have a number of complaints regarding their service. First of all, their data cap is minuscule compared to the speed they offer. Even at their throttled speeds of 25Mb/s, you can easily punch through that 300GB cap in a day. And then what will you do for the rest of the month? Even if you don't torrent or watch blu-ray movies online, it's still painfully easy to use up all that data. Further, their speed actually drops to 22 - 25 Mb/s during the 6PM - 12AM time frame, and there's often latency issues. Of course, if you call their customer service, they'll immediately assume that the problem is on your end and while that might save them money, it certainly annoys me.

Finally, if you're even the least bit technically minded, their robo service ends up being the most insulting thing you could be forced to use. I'm so tired of hearing questions like, "Is your modem/computer plugged in?", and "Is your modem connected to your computer?" every time I have an issue.

All in all, if Comcast or Google was in town, I'd choose their service over CableOne's in a heartbeat.

Comments:

rugo32

join:2014-04-01
Moorhead, MN

My Cable One service(s)

My Cable One service(s) in my apartment (Moorhead, MN) is screwy, where my TV service and internet service is billed separately, so I am unable to bundle services and troubleshooting nightmare because the signal shares the same medium but not the same demarc points.

Start here...

Review by dapoohda See Profile

• Location: Fargo,Cass,ND
Good "Easy to set up modem"
Bad "Often dependent on cable wireing in house or in the neighborhood, 1-888 customer support a bit sketchy, spam,"
Overall "cheap alternative"

I am starting to get the feeling Cableone is jerking me around. After swapping out hardware and cables I am still having frequent packet loss on both in coming and out going data. And it seems to be happening more often.

Cableone has problems. Don't all providers have problems? At least with these "rolling DNS blackouts" of March 6th and 7th Cableone tried to give users some notice that something was happening. I wish Cableone would actually admit to what the problems was.

One thing that is really starting to concern me about Cable One tech support is the apparent attitude that "It's not our problem." After several days of dropped connections with confirmation from neigbours who also have Cable One are having this problem and getting the same response from tech support...

Cableone mail appears to have become a spam magnet.

///////

The frequent disconnects are not as frequent anymore. Latency is still a bit... Postino Spam blockage service appears to have issues stopping some spam. Web service outages (no email, no online support, etc.) at the end of June were not explained.

/////

Have not decided if I want to try the "new" hi-speed internet from Cableone. As is, I am paying about $138 a month for 5MB "standard internet," "standard cable," "Digital value pak" and "Digital HDTV/DVR."

/////

It would appear Cableone is changing my IP up to two times a day. What's up with that?

5/29/2014

One slightly odd billing event, the last few digits dropped from my account number when making a payment, putting my payment in some sort of limbo and putting my account at risk of being disconnected a month later. I few phone calls later and a visit to the local office took care of it. Some hope in humanity restored.

So after a period of constant disconnects with the cable internet and disruption of cable television services, I finally got fed up and punched 0 my way through the Cableone robo help line. I explained to the technician the issues and a technician visit was arranged. The technician originally decided it was an issue on my end with either a bad splitter or bad in-house lines. But, when the technician tested the line coming into the house it was found the signal levels were off. After showing the technician where the HOTS was the lines were tested there and, once again, bad signal. When the STACK was located and tested it was found that a line in from the NODE was bad. The technician was very thorough and once the bad line was replaced tested everything on my end and even through in new cable lines and a splitter. I was told by the phone technician that as I was a long time customer that there would be no charge for the visit.

member for 13.9 years, 1933 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
rtazz1

join:2001-05-02
Friendship, TN

could you

could you post a screen shot of 192.168.100.1 signal page?

Review by bmiles See Profile

• Location: Texarkana,Bowie,TX
Good "Performs like it should during off peak hours...for the most part"
Bad "Awful latency issues from 6pm-11:30pm daily makes it almost unusable"
Overall "If you like to game or watch videos during primetime..look elsewhere."

We have had the 50/3 package for almost a year now and the last 6 months or so have been terrible. Latency has been a problem during primetime (6pm-11:30pm) for most of 2014. It jumps from a baseline of about 100ms to 500 and up to over 1000ms consistently (with jitter from 100ms to 500 and up) until almost midnight when things settle down. I have been complaining for months now and have been told for months that they are aware there are issues in our area (Texarkana) and are allegedly working on them...yeah right. After investigating the first two hops are always at fault (I do not have an external ip address so I guess C1 has me behind a double nat as well...)

My interactions with support have been a mixed bag. The good support folks are really good but the bad ones are not so helpful. I do applaud C1 for having US based support staff.

I would have already switched if the only competition in town wasn't Windstream 6/750k . If things don't improve over the summer going back to Windstream is a real possibility which speaks volumes about how unsatisfied we are with C1.

When it works C1 is pretty decent, unfortunately it seems to be oversold and they have to desire to improve capacity or are very slow at implementing improvements. The 300gb data cap, or threshhold as they call it ,is ridiculous and should be done away with or be at least twice as much.

Until they get their capacity issues resolved they should be truthful and change their slogan to "Watch us make you rage"

Comments:

BimmerE38FN

Think to check...

Review by Kypdurron See Profile

• Location: Biloxi,Harrison,MS
Good "50 bucks for 50 Meg, low ping, nice local reps"
Bad "Router sucks, VoIP sounds static, upload way to slow"
Overall "Great deal for internet. Stay away from tv, VoIP "

Have had for 3 years. Suffered through high overages when with 50GB limit. Now we use around 175 and have no worries, Speeds during peak hours around 40/2 and around 55/2.5 when non peak hours. Ping never higher than 60ms regardless of server. VOIP is terrible only have it for adt alarms. Dropped tv too expensive for sucha crap product,

Still for 83 bucks including taxes and fees I'm pretty happy

Comments:

BimmerE38FN

Better ISP modems...

If you can get away from TV and VoIP with C1, get yourself into your own stand alone ISP modem that C1 supports. I highly recommend using Motorola SB 6120, 6121, 6141 or the 6180 modems on C1s network. Great modems.

Review by Bonedoc See Profile

• Location: Chino Valley,Yavapai,AZ
Good "Very few disconnects or down time"
Bad "ABSOLUTELY NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT. WORST I'VE EVER EXPERIENCED"
Overall "Only Cable in town, but what a pain if you need support."

We have the 50mb internet package with television - we moved from a temporary location in Prescott to Chino Valley, all went well as far as we knew... BUT, they never changed the 'records' address, never changed our billing method (as we asked) and then tried to charge us for a late fee when they charged a card we closed (which was why we did the 'payment' type change in the first place)

Additionally, you cannot 'make any payment' changes in their online interface. IT DOES NOT work... AND (!) they know it, they even say so (with some pride, "Oh, that has NEVER worked, hahahah) - nor can you change other account details in their presented on line interface. TOTALLY screwed up. Their office phone hours are Mon-Fri from 8:30 'till 5PM and if you work and have difficulty making calls, you cannot fix these issues without losing time.

THIS is the only CABLE available and, while connectivity has been good (and those who work on it are very professional and acceptable) the "in house" office tech and billing people are low performance, incapable of helping you and frankly should not be working in that field.

I've been trying to add a second email account for the wife and the interface online will not accept the data... or at least the setup never completes satisfactorily to get mail. Trying to get mail ( and they go thru Google Mail sadly) is a joke, cannot log into the mail server thru their interface... "we are temporarily down, sorry for the inconvenience" is the usual popup. I greatly prefer Cable over DSL but this company is "not ready for prime time" but the only show in town. Be wary.

Comments:
fieroloki

join:2007-07-29
Van Alstyne, TX

Payments work

I pay online every month with no issue.
Couriant

join:2012-10-29
Peoria, AZ

E-Mail login

As of this time, there are no known issues with the webmail login. Our technical support is open 24/7, as well as a new live chat option available on our support site, »support.cableone.net so please call us when you are able to troubleshoot that issue if/when it happens.

As to the billing department, they are indeed open between 8:00AM to 5:00PM. If you wish you can send an e-mail to support@cableone.net to request a call back from the billing department to assist in changing your information.

The bill payment website has had some disruptions but those have now been resolved and you should be able to manage your payments, such as EasyPay (Auto Payment).