CableOne page on DSLReports

Review by jasonkradiog See Profile

• Location: Marks,Quitman,MS
Good "Sometimes reaches full speed potential"
Bad "Sometimes doesn't reach full speed potential. Videos often lag."
Overall "Cable One will disconnect you without notice for going over a usage cap."

I have put up with Cable One's sub par service for years. I have accepted various slowdowns, lagging videos, and months of issues connecting to the Internet. When they work fine, they are a decent provider, and the quality has been mostly stable over the last year. However customer service skills are always lacking. After 10 years with the company, I was disconnected due to "using too much Internet". The problem is that they sent me a letter saying I had until 9/3 to work things out with the company. The date is 8/20 of my disconnection. I call them back asking for a way to get back online at any price and two supervisors told me there is absolutely nothing I can do and no amount that I could pay them to get back online today. I have to wait for a reply from a different department. This isn't a good way to treat a customer of 10 years and why does the company even have usage caps anyway??? Avoid Cable One and go with C Spire's planned fiber product in the state of Mississippi if you can. They say it will be unlimited!!

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week
lodged a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jakex_iii See Profile

• Location: Rio Rancho,Sandoval,NM
Good "always ON; beats DSL"
Bad "tech support and followup"
Overall "Service since June'2014 has been Horrible; 6-7/50Mb at prime; best35/50Mb. No Solutions"

7'2006:
I can never get the 3Mb service advertised. Local support indicates a problem but is never resolved. Complaints to Corporate management never addressed. Unresolved problems "appear" to fall thru some sort of black-hole.

6'2007:
Speed problem finally fixed after sending letter to corporate Executive level.
BUT, followup for questions asked that do not have 'obvious' answers still remain unanswered.

2'2009:
Since upgrading to the 5Mb service the speeds have been consistently at that level. I rarely call Tech Services so I cannot vouch for their level of support. When I do call it is for an estimate for a localized network problem fix. This has happened only 2 times in the past year+.

7'2014:
Starting in June'2014 their speeds and response time for page loading has been Horrible. Multiple calls to Tech indicated a 'known saturation level', but no solution has been indicated. What was once an 85-90% effective page loading response is not less that 10% during Prime time; 35-40% off-hours.
Unacceptable. Ready to write letter to GM (Rio Rancho, NM).

Comments:

BimmerE38FN

·CableOne

C1 and Modem single and services...

I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For DSL or Fiber service lines, ensure that the ISP is using good working phone or cable lines to the DSL modem and that the phone lines are filtered correctly. For cable Internet, RG-6 coaxial cable is needed, not RG-59. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. I recommend having the ISP service physically check the lines going from the out side to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.

Review by Woody1193 See Profile

• Location: Joplin,Jasper,MO
Good "Speed decent, doesn't censor"
Bad "Tiny data cap, unreliable during peak hours"
Overall "Would pay for better if we could get it"

We've had CableOne for a number of years - to be honest, I don't remember when we got it. I'm simply writing because I think people in the Joplin area need to know what their service is like before shelling out the coin for a contract.

CableOne, at least in my area provides me with 50Mb/s download and 3Mb/s upload for $50.00 a month. They are easily the best ISP available in the Joplin area - the only others being AT&T and some satellite companies. They have the highest speed available and while I don't know how well AT&T does, cable is usually a better solution than DSL.

That being said, I have a number of complaints regarding their service. First of all, their data cap is minuscule compared to the speed they offer. Even at their throttled speeds of 25Mb/s, you can easily punch through that 300GB cap in a day. And then what will you do for the rest of the month? Even if you don't torrent or watch blu-ray movies online, it's still painfully easy to use up all that data. Further, their speed actually drops to 22 - 25 Mb/s during the 6PM - 12AM time frame, and there's often latency issues. Of course, if you call their customer service, they'll immediately assume that the problem is on your end and while that might save them money, it certainly annoys me.

Finally, if you're even the least bit technically minded, their robo service ends up being the most insulting thing you could be forced to use. I'm so tired of hearing questions like, "Is your modem/computer plugged in?", and "Is your modem connected to your computer?" every time I have an issue.

All in all, if Comcast or Google was in town, I'd choose their service over CableOne's in a heartbeat.

Comments:

rugo32

join:2014-04-01
Moorhead, MN

My Cable One service(s)

My Cable One service(s) in my apartment (Moorhead, MN) is screwy, where my TV service and internet service is billed separately, so I am unable to bundle services and troubleshooting nightmare because the signal shares the same medium but not the same demarc points.

Review by dapoohda See Profile

• Location: Fargo,Cass,ND
Good "Easy to set up modem"
Bad "Often dependent on cable wireing in house or in the neighborhood, 1-888 customer support a bit sketchy, spam,"
Overall "cheap alternative"

I am starting to get the feeling Cableone is jerking me around. After swapping out hardware and cables I am still having frequent packet loss on both in coming and out going data. And it seems to be happening more often.

Cableone has problems. Don't all providers have problems? At least with these "rolling DNS blackouts" of March 6th and 7th Cableone tried to give users some notice that something was happening. I wish Cableone would actually admit to what the problems was.

One thing that is really starting to concern me about Cable One tech support is the apparent attitude that "It's not our problem." After several days of dropped connections with confirmation from neigbours who also have Cable One are having this problem and getting the same response from tech support...

Cableone mail appears to have become a spam magnet.

///////

The frequent disconnects are not as frequent anymore. Latency is still a bit... Postino Spam blockage service appears to have issues stopping some spam. Web service outages (no email, no online support, etc.) at the end of June were not explained.

/////

Have not decided if I want to try the "new" hi-speed internet from Cableone. As is, I am paying about $138 a month for 5MB "standard internet," "standard cable," "Digital value pak" and "Digital HDTV/DVR."

/////

It would appear Cableone is changing my IP up to two times a day. What's up with that?

5/29/2014

One slightly odd billing event, the last few digits dropped from my account number when making a payment, putting my payment in some sort of limbo and putting my account at risk of being disconnected a month later. I few phone calls later and a visit to the local office took care of it. Some hope in humanity restored.

So after a period of constant disconnects with the cable internet and disruption of cable television services, I finally got fed up and punched 0 my way through the Cableone robo help line. I explained to the technician the issues and a technician visit was arranged. The technician originally decided it was an issue on my end with either a bad splitter or bad in-house lines. But, when the technician tested the line coming into the house it was found the signal levels were off. After showing the technician where the HOTS was the lines were tested there and, once again, bad signal. When the STACK was located and tested it was found that a line in from the NODE was bad. The technician was very thorough and once the bad line was replaced tested everything on my end and even through in new cable lines and a splitter. I was told by the phone technician that as I was a long time customer that there would be no charge for the visit.

Comments:
rtazz1

join:2001-05-02
Friendship, TN

could you

could you post a screen shot of 192.168.100.1 signal page?

Review by bmiles See Profile

• Location: Texarkana,Bowie,TX
Good "Performs like it should during off peak hours...for the most part"
Bad "Awful latency issues from 6pm-11:30pm daily makes it almost unusable"
Overall "If you like to game or watch videos during primetime..look elsewhere."

We have had the 50/3 package for almost a year now and the last 6 months or so have been terrible. Latency has been a problem during primetime (6pm-11:30pm) for most of 2014. It jumps from a baseline of about 100ms to 500 and up to over 1000ms consistently (with jitter from 100ms to 500 and up) until almost midnight when things settle down. I have been complaining for months now and have been told for months that they are aware there are issues in our area (Texarkana) and are allegedly working on them...yeah right. After investigating the first two hops are always at fault (I do not have an external ip address so I guess C1 has me behind a double nat as well...)

My interactions with support have been a mixed bag. The good support folks are really good but the bad ones are not so helpful. I do applaud C1 for having US based support staff.

I would have already switched if the only competition in town wasn't Windstream 6/750k . If things don't improve over the summer going back to Windstream is a real possibility which speaks volumes about how unsatisfied we are with C1.

When it works C1 is pretty decent, unfortunately it seems to be oversold and they have to desire to improve capacity or are very slow at implementing improvements. The 300gb data cap, or threshhold as they call it ,is ridiculous and should be done away with or be at least twice as much.

Until they get their capacity issues resolved they should be truthful and change their slogan to "Watch us make you rage"

Comments:

BimmerE38FN

·CableOne

Think to check...

Review by Kypdurron See Profile

• Location: Biloxi,Harrison,MS
Good "50 bucks for 50 Meg, low ping, nice local reps"
Bad "Router sucks, VoIP sounds static, upload way to slow"
Overall "Great deal for internet. Stay away from tv, VoIP "

Have had for 3 years. Suffered through high overages when with 50GB limit. Now we use around 175 and have no worries, Speeds during peak hours around 40/2 and around 55/2.5 when non peak hours. Ping never higher than 60ms regardless of server. VOIP is terrible only have it for adt alarms. Dropped tv too expensive for sucha crap product,

Still for 83 bucks including taxes and fees I'm pretty happy

Comments:

BimmerE38FN

Better ISP modems...

If you can get away from TV and VoIP with C1, get yourself into your own stand alone ISP modem that C1 supports. I highly recommend using Motorola SB 6120, 6121, 6141 or the 6180 modems on C1s network. Great modems.

Review by Bonedoc See Profile

• Location: Chino Valley,Yavapai,AZ
Good "Very few disconnects or down time"
Bad "ABSOLUTELY NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT. WORST I'VE EVER EXPERIENCED"
Overall "Only Cable in town, but what a pain if you need support."

We have the 50mb internet package with television - we moved from a temporary location in Prescott to Chino Valley, all went well as far as we knew... BUT, they never changed the 'records' address, never changed our billing method (as we asked) and then tried to charge us for a late fee when they charged a card we closed (which was why we did the 'payment' type change in the first place)

Additionally, you cannot 'make any payment' changes in their online interface. IT DOES NOT work... AND (!) they know it, they even say so (with some pride, "Oh, that has NEVER worked, hahahah) - nor can you change other account details in their presented on line interface. TOTALLY screwed up. Their office phone hours are Mon-Fri from 8:30 'till 5PM and if you work and have difficulty making calls, you cannot fix these issues without losing time.

THIS is the only CABLE available and, while connectivity has been good (and those who work on it are very professional and acceptable) the "in house" office tech and billing people are low performance, incapable of helping you and frankly should not be working in that field.

I've been trying to add a second email account for the wife and the interface online will not accept the data... or at least the setup never completes satisfactorily to get mail. Trying to get mail ( and they go thru Google Mail sadly) is a joke, cannot log into the mail server thru their interface... "we are temporarily down, sorry for the inconvenience" is the usual popup. I greatly prefer Cable over DSL but this company is "not ready for prime time" but the only show in town. Be wary.

Comments:
fieroloki

join:2007-07-29
Van Alstyne, TX

Payments work

I pay online every month with no issue.
Couriant

join:2012-10-29
Peoria, AZ

E-Mail login

As of this time, there are no known issues with the webmail login. Our technical support is open 24/7, as well as a new live chat option available on our support site, »support.cableone.net so please call us when you are able to troubleshoot that issue if/when it happens.

As to the billing department, they are indeed open between 8:00AM to 5:00PM. If you wish you can send an e-mail to support@cableone.net to request a call back from the billing department to assist in changing your information.

The bill payment website has had some disruptions but those have now been resolved and you should be able to manage your payments, such as EasyPay (Auto Payment).

Review by Idahospud See Profile

• Location: Boise,Ada,ID
Good "Fast Internet that is getting a little better with time"
Bad "Unreliable connection during peak hours, oversold nodes"
Overall "When it works it's great."

I've been with Cable One since 2005 mainly because there are no viable alternatives in Kuna, ID. Back then I was on the 3 MB down/ 0.3 MB up plan for 50$. Initially I was happy with the service and it seemed fairly stable for a while aside from intermittent disconnects and latency issues. Then in 2007 or so we were having massive issues with the internet cutting out constantly with terrible SnR levels. After about 10 service calls and trying to convince them that it's not our equipment, they FINALLY looked at the local network in the neighborhood. It turns out that the local CMTS inside the green box about 4 doors down was dying and overheating. They replaced it with a new one and the service became fairly stable again.

Then there were service issues off and on, overloaded nodes etc etc for the next few years and then they introduced the 50MB plan. Immediately we started having problems again with high latency and lost packets during peak hours. This problem subsided over the next year slowly as they added more nodes to the neighborhood with cable one construction crews installing something around Kuna, ID practically everyday. Then they increased the Cap to 300GB, and then we started having problems again with high latency, slow speeds, and lost packets during peak hours. Started seeing the cable one construction trucks around again and about after a year, the connection is somewhat stable during peak hours. The speeds still drop during peak hours but the lost packet and latency issues are less prominent.

Their techsupport is practically useless for someone who are already techy. Their low level techsupport people have no clue what SnR, DNS, tracert, CMTS, TCP, UDP, VPN, etc etc means and are extremely reluctant to hand the phone over to someone that can understand what I'm saying. Their new automated techsupport system is also insulting for people who tinker with electronics everyday and takes forever to get through. "Is your modem on?" "Is the modem connected to the computer?" lol.

member for 1.1 years, 54 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by John Patrick See Profile

• Location: Sioux City,Woodbury,IA
Good "Up and running in hours when using my own modem."
Bad "None been with them for years great service."
Overall "Best in the Tri-State area"
(ratings well above consensus)

Now that they are changing the 50Mbps plan and raising the limit on data to 300GB with no overage fee's I made the jump to the higher plan. So far loving it rock solid no drops averaging 47Mbps to 52Mbps download and upload 1.8Mbps to 2.2Mbps. Best of all my bill will drop by 3 dollars on the internet.

Had to have Cable One come out to move the drop from pole feeding to middle of house to pole that would feed the corner of the house. They installed a new box outside to make future drop replacements easier. They dropped off a 1000 feet of coax so I could rewire the whole house 2 living room outlets. 2 bedrooms each with 1 outlet. Guest bedroom with 2 outlets. 2 outlet for the garage. One for the modem. Came in next day and put ends on all the cables hooked up to new splitter, tested signal and working great. Best part all free no cost.

I live in Sioux City, Iowa and Cable One is the best out there for the price. Very reliable service fast connection 10Mb download 1Mb upload and works great with my home network. Best of all every member of the family can be on at same time. Have nothing but praise for it in the years i been with them. I highly recommend them to all my friends and family.

member for 13.2 years, 4838 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

dale avant

@cableone.net

No internet service

My name is Dale Avant, I am a partner in Quad A inc, we use Cable One internet service at a store we own doing check cashing, money sending, etc.. The night of 6/10/2013 1:30 am Cable One had an outage I understand that does happen. The employees, at our location 1821 Andrews Hwy., began calling Cable One at 7:30 am find out when the internet might be working. They called later in the day and were told the internet was working on Cable One's side. We tried unpluging & replugging the moden, the router, & the switch. We had no luck. During this time we were unable to send or receive money make money orders do our daily buisness. I drove 60 miles after they had no luck & began checking wires plugs you name it. I then open the router and began checking settings. I pay extra for a static ip. I was unable to ping the public ip , but I was able to ping the gateway. We had changed nothing for 3 weeks on the router I had replaced it and all worked well untill 06/10/2013 at 1:30am. I finally changed the public ip to dhcp the internet came right up. I decided the problem was the static ip was not registering. I called Cable One at 1:30 am 06/11/2013 and spoke with a tech #1112 ticket# 13710605. The tech told me it was my router I assurred her it was not my router as it had been working fine untill 1:30am 6/10/2013. The tech assurred me it was the router and in fact she was right. We found the mac address was not the one that was registered to the public ip. I want to know if this was so important why did my router work for 3 weeks. I saw the mac address was not correct then was told it may take up to 24 hours more to register the new mac address. I told the tech I was going to tell Cable One the tech did stay with me and not quit, but I am still here with no connection to my bank and the tech was unable to help me I was just out of luck. I just feel like we had already been down for a day the tech should have been able to fix this issue. Thank you for taking time to read my comment.
Dale Avant

wayne

@qwest.net

cable one internet is a joke

I would like to post here that cable one has issues also they like to gouge there customers on there internet. yes cable one gives you 300gb a month and also 50mb speed but they took away the
12:00am to 8:00am option where your not monitored. the fact is there still doing the same ol way that they do business screw the customers. I have nothing positive to say about Cable One..

Review by Gem See Profile

Good "Very nice folks in local office and excellent installers."
Bad "Slow ping rates - often 200ms or higher"
Overall "Overpriced and declining service quality"

Cable one seems to me to have cut back drastically (imo) on the availability of technical assistance when we have service issues with their cable TV, Internet, or Phone services. Now it seems that they have little or no technical assistance "after normal hours" or on weekends or on holidays.

The web page for configuring our services and accounts on line frequently has not fully worked for us. Long load times and often a "Sorry, that is not available now" or words to that effect notice pops up saying "try again later" or again - words to that effect.

This used to be a much better company than what we are experiencing now.