CableOne page on DSLReports

Review by In_Boise See Profile

• Location: Boise,Ada,ID
Good "Customer service"
Bad "Traffic-shaping, band-width shaping, speed shaping"
Overall "Good-bye CableOne. Watch us make you Scream!"

I was a very happy CableOne / CableOne.Net customer until the creeps instituted band-width shaping. In Boise, Idaho, I suffered their attack in late Spring 2007.

UNACCEPTABLE USE

The rules seemed to change daily. I couldn't keep up with the changes on the "Acceptable Use Policy." I felt like I was attacked by a provincial old mother ... "Son, you have been on that internet too long."

If anyone downloads more 500MB or uploads more than about 200MB, ZAP ... the download and upload speeds are dropped by 66%! At first they said they "measured" use between the hours of 12 noon and 12 midnight. Later they said, they measured all day. With this little change, I was only getting top speed for a few hours a day! Miserable.

Fortunately I switched to Qwest DSL. They offered no band-width shaping / measuring -- and they offered more speed for less money.

ALSO -- I received a couple of NASTY emails telling me my IP address had been reported to copyright infringement lawyers.

SO -- Good-bye CableOne ... we don't need a mean mother watching everything we do on the internet.

Comments:

Review by ducegt See Profile

• Location: Fargo,Cass,ND
Good "I've never had extended outages of service. The download speed is usually consistent with the package."
Bad "Routing (Latency), Upload has always been a little shy of what is advertised, Adv. Tech Support"
Overall "If your reading CableOne reviews...you probably only have sub par DSL in your area. ..the only ISPs CableOne is better then."

Currently on the 5mb/500kbs package at 60/month. I have been told that starting in October it will change to 8mb/???kbs at 63.5/month. Hopefully they increase the upload speed as well. The one HUGE problem I have is with the latency/ping times. They actually use to be fairly decent until about 3-4 months ago. When tracerouting a Chicago server, the packets will go to Denver, Dallas, and then back up to Chicago. Previous pings of around 45ms have gone to over 100ms. The frustrating part is when you call tech support and they fail to put you on the line with someone who knows what your talking about...they'll just tell you to power cycle your modem until your face turns blue. I know of a few other people who have called and gotten the same ordeal. I strongly encourage anyone in the Fargo, ND area with service to call and complain. The high latencies really put a damper on VoIP, video chat, virtual network connections, streaming media, and online gaming.

Comments:

Review by ThePug See Profile

• Location: Sioux City,Woodbury,IA
Good "When it works, it lives up to the speeds."
Bad "Can be unreliable at times with connectivity issues and speed issues."
Overall "Avoid if you can, the high cost for the speeds you get are not worth the money."

We've been CableONE customers for about 4 years now. When we lived in our Apt. the internet would go off for hours at a time, and the tech support was unable to figure out the problem. We would have a tech sent out to us but they could not find anything wrong. After formatting the computer and reinstalling everything, we were still unable to get a stable connection.

Now, that we have moved into a house in a different town, we have had some bad experiences with them again. Downtimes, high ping and now with the caps being set in, it's like throwing away money.

We are going to switch to Qwest DSL with their 7Mbps package to try them out.

This company should be a "last resort."

Comments:

Review by rjk8 See Profile

• Location: 68701`
Good "TV service fairly reliable, albeit pricy."
Bad "Internet connection unreliable, raises prices, service does not improve"
Overall "Avoid at all costs!"

I live in an area where CableOne has a monopoly. There are no other cable service providers in the area, so CableOne does not feel the need to improve at all. I have had issues with CableOne in the past, but recently it's been getting worse. I've been having outages on a DAILY BASIS. We do not pay $50 per month for internet service that's down about half the time.

Comments:

Review by Freik See Profile

• Location: Prescott,Yavapai,AZ
Good "Usually always on, and no drastic 'peak hour slow'"
Bad "Slower than advertised; monopoly for high speed internet in area"
Overall "Good for average Joe, but not for hard core computer users or internet gaming."

I have the 3000 download and the 300 upload package (the cheapest!) and now that all the special promotions are gone, the cost is WAY to high (~$60 a month) but there is no other reliable high speed internet in the area, except DSL wich is too slow for a hard core gamer like me. Very easy installation, we really didn't need a technician. Just plug in the modem to the cable line, power up, and plug it in. I would recommend it for any one with money to spare, or for the average computer user, but not if you need serious high speed access all the time. The bandwith caps are also anoying.

Comments:

Review by nollerm See Profile

• Location: Saucier,Harrison,MS
Good "convenient when working"
Bad "never seems to work on weekends and holidays"
Overall "if you need reliability you may need dsl back-up"

Great service if you don't need to use it on weekends and holidays when tech support is non existent.

Comments:

Review by Boka See Profile

• Location: Vancleave,Jackson,MS
Good "Excellent tech support, fast eay install."
Bad "Email, price too high"
Overall "Not worth it at all, unless it's all you can get. PERIOD!"

After Katrina, I lost my phone line and DSL.(long story, but I put my services on hold the day of the storm, and Bell would not reconnect me until all 'existing customers' were connected first. Told me to wait 6 months) I had Bellsouth DSL Xtreme and was loving it, Katrina remedied that. So I called Bell and cableone every week trying to get some sort of internet connection. CableOne was first to respond. The tech came out on a Sunday morning, was very nice and very proficient. Was running in less than two hours, and he had to run a new cable from the pole, into the attic, and make a new plate on the bedroom wall through the outside brick. I was very impressed. My speed was capped in half after 2 hours of usage. You can not setup more than one POP3 account in Outlook and send emails through that 'non cableone' account, so called 'spam protection'.

member for 10.9 years, 1125 visits, last login: 2.2 years ago

• Location: Ocean Springs,Jackson,MS
Good "When it worked it was good."
Bad "It only worked part time, usually at night."
Overall "useless if it won't work when you need it"

I have been paying for Cable One Internet since Dec 05. I had to get the tech re-install their wiring and all connections to my house. This took about 6 weeks to get them to fix. When I finally did get internet connection, it only works after 5 PM every day, sometimes later but very rarely before.

Several of my co-workers have Cable One and have the same problem, Only one has good service-he purchased a signal amplifier.

I think I have fixed my problem. I installed Bell South DSL. It so far works in the day when Cable One won't.

Cable One tech support would always have me unplug this, move to another outlet or any other exercise to try to implicate that the problem was with my equipment or in my house. I finally gave up because I know that the signal is shared and during the day is apparently used by commercial subscribers and I didn't get enough to connect. I have a relative that has Bell South for more than a year and has been able to connect at anytime.

Cable One hasn't offered a price adjustment for all of the time it doesn't work.

(review was emailed from domain bellsouth.net)

Comments:

Review by jacksprat2 See Profile

• Location: Winslow,Navajo,AZ
Good "TECHNICALLY ITS AN INTERNET CONNECTION"
Overall "ALWAYS HAVE AN EXCUSE AS TO WHY THEY CANT PROVIDE 6 MEG SERVICE FOR 40 A MONTH THEY SAY THERE TO SMALL WHLE BEING THE 10TH"

UPDATE - WELL HERE I AM IN SEPT STILL TRYING TO GET DECENT SERVICE
AT THIS POINT IM CONSIDERING GOING WITH DSL FROM QWEST AND GETTING DIRECTTV FROM THEM ALSO
AFTER SENDING A FAX TO THE BIG BAMBO THEY SENT OUT A MGR AND TECH
WE HAD A CONVO OF COURSE THEY DIDNT BOTHER TO MEASURE MEASURE THE SIGNAL __ LOL BECAUSE IT WAS WORKING !!!!
AMAZINGLY SINCE THEY CAME BY YESTERDAY THE SERVICE WAS ACTUALLY 3 MEGS LAST NITE----- 2 MEGS THIS MORNING AND 2.7 AT 5PM
SOUNDS LIKE THEY GOT TO MANY PEOPLE ON THE SAME CIRCUIT
DO NOT GET INTERNET FROM CABLEONE IF ITS AVAILABLE FROM SOMEONE ELSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE LASTEST RIPOFF IS SELLING INTERNET AND CABLE TV SERVICE FOR 29 A MONTH TO NEW CUSTOMERS WHLE NOT GIVING EXISTING CUSTOMERS THE SAME DEAL WE PAY 39 A MONTH AND DONT GET ANYTHING BUT TO PAY THIS PRICE AND BE RIPPED OFF WHILE NEW PEOPLE GET A DEAL.THE FAIR THING TO DO WOULD BE GIVE THIS PRICE TO EVERYONE OR UPGRADE SERVICE FOR PEOPLE PAYING MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
well thomas o might posted his propaganda of the companies goals, but being the 10tyh largest cable company in the us i think they fall short in selection of channels availbe compared to what they charge they lose 2 statons from the channel lineup give us one..
AS AS FAR AS BROADBAND TODAY 2/6/06 MY CONNECTION HAS FLUCUATED FROM 489K TO 3.9 MEGS. MOST SERVICES OFFER 5-6 MEG SERVICE FOR THE MONTHLY FEE BUT NOT CABLONEONE. THIS SPEED WOULD COST YA 100 A MONTH FROM THEM.. THEY CANT MAINTAIN A LEVEL OF SERVICE AT A CONSTANT LEVEL . I DID GET A REPLY ONETIME AND THEY SAID WELL WE CANT OFFER THE SAME LEVEL OF SERICE AS COX BECAUSE WERE SMALLER.. MY GOODNESS THERE THE 10TH LARGEST CABLE COMPANY IN THE US AND CANT OFFER A COMPARABLE LEVEL OF SERVICE??????? SOUND LIKE THEY JUST DONT WANT TO TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
»www.azcentral.com/12news/newsrel···-CP.html
Important information for Cable One customers
august 15/06 cable tv upgrade.. lol
well we got the travel channel and lost i
got another c span and espn
theyve included programming from school is joseph city which is lunch schedules etc
o theyd did put on the holbrook public announcements channel tooo
so now we got more stuff not many people are interested in
got tons of shopping channels and 2 mexican stations
it seems all they did was raise the rates and give us more garbage no would want to watch..... my theory is they buy the cheapest programming regardless of what it is
lmao i feel like i live in the middle of an antenna farm due to the number of small directtv type dishes all over neighborhood yet the content contineue to go down hill while they raise the price to pay for it
this is typicall of cable industry i guess after reading tons of cable horror stories on the site by the same name
i guess it works good for the share holders lol !

Comments:

Review by tftpdnld2003 See Profile

• Location: Port Lavaca,Calhoun,TX
Good "no good point"
Bad "paid for 1.5mbps, but never get more than 300kps.."
Overall "if you live in port lavaca texas or surrounding area, dont get cableone."

It's a total ripped off don't get it. i have the services for almost 3 months, 300kps is the most i have seen, at peak hours, only 100kps or below.. something worst then analog modem, my dial up 56k has better stablity.

when i call their support line, which is in AZ, they said there is an on going issue locally in port la vaca, and i have to talk to the local internet contact ( which doesn't make sense at all). i demand to talk to a manager and someone claimed to be the escalation jump into the call and said there is a issue, but they can't tell me what it was and when it will be fix. they said i need to call the local internet contact to find out.

call the number for the local internet contact few times during different hour of they day, phone always get busy signal or no one pickup.

i'm trying to escalate the issue to Cable one upper management and will update when i got some info back, if they reply..