CableOne page on DSLReports

Review by Mercurybird See Profile

• Location: Nash,Bowie,TX
Good "Smooth, uninterupted service. Rock solid and reliable. No hicups."
Bad "I have no complaints."
Overall "I'm sticking with them. They are trying hard to be the best here in the Texarkana area."

·Windstream
I ordered 3000/300 for $29.95 a month.

The order process was great in light of my own foot dragging. I didn't want the cable on the outside of the house we're renting. Neither did our landlord. So I told them I wanted it in the attic, dropped in each room, down the wall. But I didn't want to pay an additional installation fee for that. So they told me to calculate how much cable, and how many splitters, etc. I would need. Then I could call them and they would get it all together for me, for free.

They did just that. I figured 150', and they cut me 160'. I had 10' of cable left when I got it run. Then a guy came out promptly and terminated and tested everything. I asked him to give the modem a direct run from the pole. But no luck. So I asked him to send the first split to the modem and then the TVs. Then bitta-bing-bitta-boom I was online. It just took me a while to get off of my butt and get the cable run. I cut the 10' leftover piece in two and asked him to terminate them for me, and he did.

All my modem responses are in spec. They also offer up to 5mb here. What's good about that is there are no slowdowns reported with that speed. So I'm not worried about slowdowns with my 3mb. I had asked them about that because I had always heard about the so called "up to" the advertised speed with cable. But I haven't noticed any slowdowns here.

Before getting cable I had ADSL 1.5/512. What I have now is consistently twice that in surfing and in downloads. We're happy campers.

I had bought a Motorola SB5120 to use with their service. I have it hooked to a DLink DI-704P router. I'm not certain but I think it is DynamicIP.

The one thing I was bummed about, and it isn't their fault, is that my Smoothwall system will not work with it. It should work no different than it did with ADSL, but... The modem works, and the connectibility is there. But Cableone can't see who I am. So I took ole Smoothie out of the mix. It's just as well, I wanted a new motherboard anyway, so I bought a DFI LANparty UT nF3 250Gb. It has the Nvidia hardware firewall built-in. Hopefully I won't have the same trouble with that hardware firewall. I'll let you know here.

The reason for my less than perfect score on the tech support was because I thought they should have been able to help me with the Smoothwall problem. But maybe they had never heard of it. So they told me to contact the Smoothwall people. So I thought that was reasonable.

==============================

Okay, October 30th... Smoothwall is now working flawlessly with the modem/router CableOne.net setup. Speed results are excellent. No problems still.

==============================

Okay, September 28th... This is a late long time in coming update. I pulled the Smoothwall system and installed the NVidia motherboard. The hardware firewall is playing nice with the cable modem.

I also asked them if they were planning any local speed upgrades, because Windstream DSL in our area is upgrading their customers to 6mbits. They sent me back the canned answer of "Due to the nature of your question it would be better if you called our tech support line". I just blew it off, you know, you get what you get. Why fight it? Two days later I noticed a big jump in speed. Sure enough, they upgraded me to 5000/500. Now how about that?!

Like I said- they're working hard to be the best in our area. Why didn't they bump me up to 6mbits you ask? The highest speed they offer is 5 mbits. So they probably don't have anything faster yet. You will notice that I was originally getting the 3000/300 for $29.00. Normally the $29.00 only gets you the 1.5mbits speed. But because I got it with a bundle they kicked in the 3000/300. Well now they've bumped me up to 5000/500. And still no increase on the cost.

So I'm telling you all this to let you know that CableOne is working hard in my area to be the best they can. I know you know that CableOne is a big company with regional offices. But how well they perform for you comes down to the local office in your area. Well, let me say that I don't at all know who controls the speed- local or the home office. But I can certainly vouch for what I've seen.

This message was written by Mercurybird not CableOne. Just PM me and ask if you doubt it.

member for 10.4 years, 3434 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by jadaken See Profile

• Location: Odessa,Ector,TX
Good "fast and alway working great plus i get it free"
(ratings well above consensus)

this is some great stuff

Comments:

Review by cre8vcon See Profile

• Location: Meridian,Ada,ID
Good "Outstanding English speaking internet tech support from Pheonix AZ"
Bad "Customer phone service sucks big time."
Overall "They are still eating cake instead of listening. Dont believe tv add."

Dont have any other options but couldnt really complain about internet service.
Billing, and local phone support are a bunch of idiots. Drool out of corner of mouth type.
Tried phone service for 1 week and got an outragious bill. $29.95 turned into $48.
You are required to use their phone/internet modem. No other choice for $6.00 month
Cancelled phone and cable tv after going round and round with everyone but God,but still have internet with my modem for $53 for 5 meg.

When they are good. They are very, very gooooood.
When they are bad, they are very, very baaaadddd.

Now using Direct TV Dish for TV and find it superior so far.

Comments:

Review by mwendler See Profile

• Location: Twin Falls,Twin Falls,ID
Good "Fast Downloads and Good Connection!"
Bad "The bandwith cap is ridiculous!!!"
Overall "Good for casual users, but if you have a lot of data to send, not for you!"

I have had no problems with the connectivity of this service. I have had a problem with my advertised speed and with the bandwidth caps. My advertised speed was 3Mbps and I am somehow on a 1.5Mbps plan! Calls to the local office have yielded no help or results other than false promises. Also, if you are transferring even moderate amounts of data over the internet you will quickly hit the cap set by CableOne. This effectively cuts your speed to half of what is advertised. My advertised speed - 3.0Mbps; my actual speed - 1.5Mbps; my speed when capped - .8Mbps. As you can see, you are quickly losing speed and not anywhere where you were initially promised.

Comments:

Review by brandon See Profile

• Location: Hurley,Jackson,MS
Good "Crystal clear HD, free HD/DVR with digital TV package."
Bad "Advertised at $59, actually pay $67 after unfees"
Overall "Features worth the money."

After my year contract with DirecTV was up, I swapped over to CableOne for Cable TV. I don't have their internet service--too pricey for what you get compared with SAFA from Bellsouth. The tech missed the first installation appointment, but when I called the next day to mention it, they really attempted to make it right. Normally they have an 8-12/1-5 window, but I told them that I wouldn't be home until 4:30 since I had taken off work the day before. So they scheduled a tech to come at 5pm, which was really nice, and they also took $20 off of my bill--all I had asked for was a reschedule date. I was very pleased with the response to the missed appointment.

The tech was on time and gave me a free HD/DVR, so I get locals in HD. One of my biggest complaints when I dropped DirecTV was that there were no locals and no opportunity to get them in the forseeable future. Now I get them in crystal clear HD. I had originally enjoyed DirecTV because they had Comedy Central and CableOne didn't carry it, but now that they do, the choice was easy. More features, and after swapping to VoIP, I was paying just about the same as I was with Bellsouth/DirecTV. Happy with the service so far.

member for 11.6 years, 4214 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Tattoo Bob4 See Profile

• Location: Denison,Grayson,TX
Good "Good speeds up and down"
Overall "Still the best for the money"

No complaints so far.

member for 13.8 years, 896 visits, last login: 3.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by jstar See Profile

• Location: Biloxi,Harrison,MS
Good "fast speed better than advertised"
Bad "none yet"
Overall "worth the money"

Its a great servervice the speed i was quoted was 8meg down and im getting nearly 8.5meg down fast i like cable one of biloxi ms

member for 13.7 years, 246 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by mcwriter007 See Profile

• Location: Chino Valley,Yavapai,AZ
Good "Line speed, availability, installation and technical support"
Bad "occasional modem/router miscommunications"
Overall "Worth the money, considering the competition in this area"

I don't really understand all the bad press Cableone gets. I have used their internet service at three different addresses in the central Arizona area and have always gotten the speed I was promised, with almost zero interruptions and more than decent technical support when I needed it. But I do have networking experience so I can usually troubleshoot my own issues. I think a lot of the problems people here describe can be attributed to their own lack of technical experience and patience. In addition, highly active users - read, gamers - b*tch about their line speed no matter what they get. They need to build high speed networks in their homes to maximize the provided speed, or get a T-1 and stop complaining. Nobody promises eleven megabits.

Comments:

Review by dbman5 See Profile

• Location: Moss Point,Jackson,MS
Good "flawless transition from land line phone to ip phone"
Bad "took 4 days to port my #"
Overall "so far i love the service"

i love cableone internet and VoiP

Comments:

Review by drthumbtack See Profile

• Location: Ardmore,Carter,OK
Good "Value of the entire package"
Bad "Haven't found any, yet!"
Overall "EXTREMELY satisfied!!!"
(ratings well above consensus)

I ordered the entire package, which included Cable TV, 3.0 Mb Broadband Internet, and, VOIP telephone service, each for only $29.95 per month. The speed is always more than acceptable, the TV has not had an outage, even during severe weather, and the phone service is excellent!!!

When I called "Ma Bell" to cancel my old service, they tried to talk me into staying with them, but, I simply described the package, that CableOne was offering, and ask them, if they could beat it. The salesperson told me, that they couldn't even come close!!!

I have NO complaints!!!