CableOne page on DSLReports

Review by SSJ4GOGETA21 See Profile

• Location: Fargo,Cass,ND
Bad "Not always fast, it lags a lot of the time for being 50 Mbps, 50 GB limit per month or you get overage charges"
Overall "If I had Midcontinent in my area that is who I would go through"

This company is not the greatest, I would not have them unless they were the ONLY viable option in your area,

member for 11.5 years, 118 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Told ya so

@twtelecom.net

Get ya there faster

It's all about the money. They allegedly give you a 50 meg connection but give you a 50 G cap Watching a few movies or gaming will undoubtedly get you there fast. Cable One can't sufficiently keep the 50 meg users happy. Old cable plant and lack of fiber build will eventually hurt. Cable TV has limits and bonding of channels takes away from cable TV channels available. The company really doesn't care about the customer all they care about is the money in the long run.

Review by BLITTZIN See Profile

• Location: Sherman,Grayson,TX
Bad "I'll let the screenshot do the talking."
Overall "I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy."

No help when line techs come out. Slap an attenuator on and that will fix 95 percent packet loss. Uh No it won't! Email to me from cable1 said We looked into your modem and can see that it loses connectivity. There are no issues reported in you area. I wrote back this email and screenshots of this choking packet loss isn't a report of an issue? Search THIS is messed up, for screenshots of what must be almost record packet loss. Sadly where I live it's Cable1 or Verizon 1meg. 50 meg plan I get 8 if lucky. Motorola sb 6150. The bad was no help and line techs walking in never checking anything putting an attenuator on my line and leaving. All the things people say are true. I'm just being throttled. 2 year Tv and internet agreement. Seriously considering buying out of the contract. Terrible quality of service.

Comments:

Review by az00935 See Profile

• Location: Prescott,Yavapai,AZ
Bad "TG852 modem failed after 5 months"

TG852 modem failed after 5 months. Phone Tech Support could not see an issue. Wi-fi light was off, nobody was getting any Wi-Fi signal, built in router was going up/down repeatedly so even local wired network was unavailable.

Had to go to CableOne office and wait in line 15 minutes to get replacement modem. Self-installed, then fired up web browser. Takes you to an activation page (intercepts whatever page you were going to) and walks you through activation. Problem was, after doing that, comes back to same intercept page again and again - deadloop. Had to wait 20 minutes to get advanced tech support on phone.They rebooted router (scary on the surface of it) and service came up as originally ordered.

Of course, then you have to go and do (at best, using WPS) reconnect on every Wi-Fi device.

Comments:

Review by venom3 See Profile

• Location: Texarkana,Bowie,TX
Good "not a bad price for the package"
Bad "horriable internet service"
Overall "when a 50Mb plan behaves more like a dialup something is wrong"

for the past 3 months I have had constant connection issues. ranging from a packet loss of 1% to 80%. Techs ( both customer support and at home) have admitted the area is bad (more so from the Home techs). After countless hours calling the support line and the local office I am still with crappy service. Dont get me wrong when the service work its GREAT!! but the littlest thing throws everything out of wack and takes forever to get it fixed. One home tech told me that they dont check the nodes cause most are hard to get to and no body wants to do it ( so they get left and never checked or said they were checked and never were). Overall the experience is a nightmare!! I really wish there were more choices in my are for internet area, alas there are few and far between ( 1 or 2 at most). IMO cableone does not measure up for the price/headache. First affordable provider I find in my are and I'm out of here.

Comments:

Review by luckystrikes See Profile

Good "Service Hook-up speed, new user contract deals"
Bad "Line Quality, Customer Service, Price"
Overall "Go somewhere else if avaliable"

10Mbps Connection (rarely see full speed in speed tests)

61.77 (with $8 wireless modem rental)

Only game in town, until AT&T moved in (with worse service in the beginning). As a customer for over two (2) years now, the disconnect/service outages were far too frequent. Contract was for 12 months, but after that you are free to leave.

For the past three (3) months, I've been having major packet loss near-nightly (and sometimes daily). Customer service/tech support gave me the run around and usually used a wait-and-see approach. Finally spoke to the General Manager of the local branch and he said my modem was completely obsolete (one of the first iterations of the Motorola Surfboard). Would have expected someone to notice that when the problem first started occurring. "New" modem (released in 2009) did not fix anything at all. Latest excuse was "noise," but they cannot give me any ETA on the fix. I was told to "call ever few days when the issue is occurring."

Filed a complain with the Better Business Bureau. Luckily, I am moving in a few months to a city where I can pay slightly less price ($53) for twice the speed AND 50 TV channels.

Comments:

Review by Tolmos See Profile

• Location: Jacksonville,Calhoun,AL
Good "Lives up to 10Mbit speed easily"
Bad "VERY unreliable in Jacksonville, AL area"
Overall "If you have a choice, I'd choose something else."

I've had Cableone for nearly 4 years now. When I first got them I thought it was great- service was reliable and never had any problem. That all changed about 8 months ago. Nearly every night, with only a few nights a week at most that are fine, my begins suffering extreme packet loss. Anywhere from 4%-30%, depending on what the weather is like. During the day it is fine, but at night you might as well just quit using it. I have called 30 or 40 times by this point and, to be honest, I'm tired of trying. Every time I get the same answer "I have spoken with my senior technician and we do see that the problem is affecting other users, as well. We have escalated this to our Engineering department." Every... single... time. And do you know who NEVER fixes the problem? The engineering department. Of course, I do get a few tech support people who don't even try. One of them told me the problem would just "go away" and there was nothing he could do because no one had reported it. Isn't that what I'm calling for?! To report it?! I have also had technicians come to my apartment, but they are just as baffled as I am as to why they were sent. They look at the line and it is fine. They look at the report and see it affected everyone in my area, so there is nothing they can do to help me. And then they leave. And of course, I have to wait ALL day for this to happen, since they don't actually schedule appointments. "Sometime between 8am to 5pm". Excellent.

I am a graduate student who does all his work via the internet. I HAVE to have all my work done before 9pm, because Cableone has basically set a cut-off time for my area that no one is allowed to use stable internet after that time period. It's like some sort of internet curfew. Luckily, I will be moving away from this horrible service next month and into a zone that actually has a different and hopefully more reliable internet connection.

Unfortunately, if you live in this area then you are out of luck. Cableone has a monopoly on the area, so you won't find any other service that you can use. Unfortunately, if you live here... reliable internet is simply something you may never experience.

Comments:

Review by Prevost52 See Profile

• Location: Biloxi,Harrison,MS
Good "NEW CUSTOMER THEY QUICK TO HELP"
Bad "LOYAL CUSTOMER THEY COULD CARE LESS ABOUT YOU"
Overall "ONCE YOU SIGN ON WITH THEM THERES NO COMMITMENT TO YOU"

When I desided on them they seemed ok but changed address called two weeks prior set up appointment. Needless to say no show. I called them about them not showing up they came back they came no one was home. We were home all day. they said they would come 10 days later. Needless to say 20 day without internet,phone, and tv when I'm still paying them every month sucks. I think whom ever is managing this company is going to loose alot of customers.

Comments:

Review by daniel717 See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Lowndes,MS
Good "Fast and reliable-Plan allows you to furnish cable modem"
Bad "Slows down in evening when people get home from work and school"
Overall "Needs to be DOCSIS 3.0 but worlds better than AT&T"

I had AT&T since 2002 but finally gave up on them after catching them throttling my service from 6 mb service to 3 mb then below 1 mb. Every time I came home from my job being out of state I would have to call them about slow service because of the speed issues and then my 6 mb service started going below 1 meg they then sent out a service tech and he said it was because of the main office profile was changed and they were restricting the service from there. He made some phone calls and told them they should have caught that before he came on the service call and told they the dslam box was on my property, and told me I had fiber to that hub, and not to put me on a noise profile. Since AT&T took over Bellsouth my pings had gone from 90 ms to 42 ms then after AT&T the pings were 130+ ms. That was the last straw and I ordered CableOne 10/1 mb plan and they had only one issue that affected the whole network but thats been fixed months ago. DSL is looking like dead tech and AT&T will never invest in Fiber to the home.

P.S. never complain to AT&T management like this guy did in one polite e-mail after asking for a early upgrade. »www.engadget.com/2010/06/02/atan···a-cease/

My speed tested: »www.speedtest.net/result/837158236.png

I now have the 50mb service everything looks good less than 24 hrs local office had the new speed activated for me. CableOne insisted that I sign a contract for the 50mb service for 1 year at $45 after one year price will go back to $53

»speedtest.net/result/1299802912.png

Comments:

Review by bksmith5 See Profile

• Location: Fargo,Cass,ND
Good "Reliable connection, decent speed"
Bad "Low 50GB/month data plan"
Overall "Send a Tweet to @CableONE or @CableONESupport for help, if needed"

5/17/2011:
One weekend is all that it took for Cable ONE to send out an email to its employees stating that all customers who are under existing contracts can cancel the existing contract and sign new one for the new TriplePlay/DoublePlay/SinglePlay that includes the 50Mbps ISP service. I was really only wanting to -add- the 50Mbps service to my folks' plan, but this was an unexpected bonus since this will save my folks some money while they enjoy an improved set of services. Kudos to you for this one, Cable ONE. I definitely feel much better about how things have turned out here.

5/13/2011:

This update is more one in response to recent mishandling by Cable ONE's Corporate call center. I'm knocking down my overall opinion of the company because of how they handled an inquiry by myself on my parents' behalf. I am appalled by how I was treated and cannot be supportive of a company that uses its contracts to punish its customers for wanting to switch their service levels while under contract.

See »UPDATED: Under An Old Contract with CO and want 50Mbps? for more information.

4/11/2011:

50Mbps/2Mbps service is now available in Fargo, ND and it is simply awesome! No more throttling on this plan. Instead, CableOne has implemented a "Data Plan" (much like you'd find with a smartphone on any current cellular provider). The Data Plan is currently set to a limit of 50GB/month. If you download more than this amount, you are charged at a rate of $0.50/GB. I'm not a fan of this idea, but it's still an improvement over the original "cut your speed in half after you hit a certain threshold every day" plans. I can report back on the "damage done" to my monthly costs after I've had this for a month or two.

In the meantime, it's simply awesome to have a more modern ISP service to use!

1/11/2011:

Nothing new to really report here other than my services have been online non-stop since I signed up a couple of months ago. I'm still quite happy with the service, as it is and am looking forward to if/when the DOCSIS 3.0 upgrades are finally completed!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Original Review:

About 2 years ago, I signed up for a business ISP connection from CableOne. That was not a good experience because of a lot of misinformation coming from the local CableOne office. I'd signed up for a specific tier with the understanding that by paying for a business line, I wouldn't be subject to throttling (measurement periods that result in bandwidth reduction after a specified download amount has been exceeded). I hit that limit and was throttled the very first day -- I was admittedly trying to hit the supposed limit to see who was right and who was wrong (local vs corporate). Local management lost and I moved over to Qwest as a result.

Here we are a couple years later and Netflix is booming! I found that with Qwest's 7Mbps DSL service, I couldn't count on a continuous 5Mbps download speed to maintain an HD streaming signal. As a result, I looked back at CableOne's offering and found that they offer a 12Mbps/1.5Mbps service which, if the threshold is hit, will cause the speeds to be cut to 6Mbps/750Kbps -- not too far off from the 7Mbps/796Kbps service that I had with Qwest. The 12Mbps/1.5Mbps service has a daily threshold of approximately 11GB. I haven't hit it yet, thankfully.

Ping times have been pretty solid, the connection has been reliable and Netflix has been running quite well since the switch. It's hard for me to believe it, but I am here to recommend CableOne service to anyone who goes into it with their eyes wide open (meaning: Do your homework and consider how much you'll use the service before you sign up for an "affordable" plan.) Is CableOne the best-ever ISP - Nah. Are they the best that I can get in my area - yep.

In short: I have been pleasantly surprised by the service that I've received this time around. Well done, CableONE. Now finish up that DOCSIS 3.0 rollout and bump the tiers around some more, eh?

member for 13.4 years, 2018 visits, last login: 7 days ago

Comments:

Review by rtazz1 See Profile

• Location: Friendship,Crockett,TN
Good "service is up most of the time like 99%"
Bad "Customer call center takes too long"
Overall "The only real choice around here. DSL is availible but slooooow, Looking forward to better speeds"

the wait for the install killed me but i had to wait. the installer had a limited knowage of the way the internet worked, about four weeks into the service my modem craped out, i called it in and told them when they sent the service tech out he should bring a modem with him.well when he showed up i asked him if he brought a modem he hadn't. so after about an hour of line checks and a few trips in and out of the house he told me he had to go back to the office and get a modem (dang didnt i tell em to bring 1) he returned and all has been well since. oh did i mention im a half hour away from the office haha!

Yeah DOCSIS 3 now Today I checked my modem stats and found that we are now DOCSIS 3 see the attachment. I hope for better speeds soon!! When it happens I will update this post. I am currently on the 10MB/1MB package with digital tv with dvr.

I have owned my own modems for years, only rented theirs for about 6 months at the beginning of the contract which has since expired like 4 years ago.I switched my modem about 6 months ago to get ready for DOCSIS 3 I am using a Motorola 6120. While I was concerned about the high power on the upload side at first by all the techs for them say it is fine and that this modem will show higher readings than the 5120. I haven't had any issues with it.

member for 13.3 years, 2476 visits, last login: a few hours ago