CableOne page on DSLReports

Review by Gem See Profile

Good "Very nice folks in local office and excellent installers."
Bad "Slow ping rates "
Overall "Even more Overpriced than before"

Prices continue to rise faster than almost anything else we buy. Even faster than gas prices some years.

We cut back from a bundled price for phone/internet/tv to only Internet and Cable TV, but our total monthly cable bill is still more than $100 per month.

One good thing is that the company still hires great people ... once you can get through to them, and that often takes a while.

Comments:

Review by jasonkradiog See Profile

• Location: Marks,Quitman,MS
Good "Sometimes reaches full speed potential"
Bad "Sometimes doesn't reach full speed potential. Videos often lag."
Overall "Cable One will disconnect you without notice for going over a usage cap."

I have put up with Cable One's sub par service for years. I have accepted various slowdowns, lagging videos, and months of issues connecting to the Internet. When they work fine, they are a decent provider, and the quality has been mostly stable over the last year. However customer service skills are always lacking. After 10 years with the company, I was disconnected due to "using too much Internet". The problem is that they sent me a letter saying I had until 9/3 to work things out with the company. The date is 8/20 of my disconnection. I call them back asking for a way to get back online at any price and two supervisors told me there is absolutely nothing I can do and no amount that I could pay them to get back online today. I have to wait for a reply from a different department. This isn't a good way to treat a customer of 10 years and why does the company even have usage caps anyway??? Avoid Cable One and go with C Spire's planned fiber product in the state of Mississippi if you can. They say it will be unlimited!!

Comments:
ceyko

join:2007-05-21
Plano, TX

Concur

Generally same issue here. We upgraded service on the date requested and still got disconnected.

50m down is great if you don't have a 300G cap that I was not aware of as of the warning.

Re: Concur

I've always got notices either in email or a pop-up on the browser that we are approaching the limit or have just gone over. I wonder if it happens continually, then maybe you might get disconnected. You can always call C1 and ask them about raising the cap. I did. Users should figure out where the usage is coming from. Close yoru browsers and stop torrents or downloading all the time. That with streaming video will be a major factor.

Review by jakex_iii See Profile

• Location: Rio Rancho,Sandoval,NM
Good "always ON; beats DSL"
Bad "tech support and followup"
Overall "Service since June'2014 has been Horrible; 6-7/50Mb at prime; best35/50Mb. No Solutions"

7'2006:
I can never get the 3Mb service advertised. Local support indicates a problem but is never resolved. Complaints to Corporate management never addressed. Unresolved problems "appear" to fall thru some sort of black-hole.

6'2007:
Speed problem finally fixed after sending letter to corporate Executive level.
BUT, followup for questions asked that do not have 'obvious' answers still remain unanswered.

2'2009:
Since upgrading to the 5Mb service the speeds have been consistently at that level. I rarely call Tech Services so I cannot vouch for their level of support. When I do call it is for an estimate for a localized network problem fix. This has happened only 2 times in the past year+.

7'2014:
Starting in June'2014 their speeds and response time for page loading has been Horrible. Multiple calls to Tech indicated a 'known saturation level', but no solution has been indicated. What was once an 85-90% effective page loading response is not less that 10% during Prime time; 35-40% off-hours.
Unacceptable. Ready to write letter to GM (Rio Rancho, NM).

Comments:

BimmerE38FN

·CableOne

C1 and Modem single and services...

I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For DSL or Fiber service lines, ensure that the ISP is using good working phone or cable lines to the DSL modem and that the phone lines are filtered correctly. For cable Internet, RG-6 coaxial cable is needed, not RG-59. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. I recommend having the ISP service physically check the lines going from the out side to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.

Review by bmiles See Profile

• Location: Texarkana,Bowie,TX
Good "Performs like it should during off peak hours...for the most part"
Bad "Awful latency issues from 6pm-11:30pm daily makes it almost unusable"
Overall "If you like to game or watch videos during primetime..look elsewhere."

We have had the 50/3 package for almost a year now and the last 6 months or so have been terrible. Latency has been a problem during primetime (6pm-11:30pm) for most of 2014. It jumps from a baseline of about 100ms to 500 and up to over 1000ms consistently (with jitter from 100ms to 500 and up) until almost midnight when things settle down. I have been complaining for months now and have been told for months that they are aware there are issues in our area (Texarkana) and are allegedly working on them...yeah right. After investigating the first two hops are always at fault (I do not have an external ip address so I guess C1 has me behind a double nat as well...)

My interactions with support have been a mixed bag. The good support folks are really good but the bad ones are not so helpful. I do applaud C1 for having US based support staff.

I would have already switched if the only competition in town wasn't Windstream 6/750k . If things don't improve over the summer going back to Windstream is a real possibility which speaks volumes about how unsatisfied we are with C1.

When it works C1 is pretty decent, unfortunately it seems to be oversold and they have to desire to improve capacity or are very slow at implementing improvements. The 300gb data cap, or threshhold as they call it ,is ridiculous and should be done away with or be at least twice as much.

Until they get their capacity issues resolved they should be truthful and change their slogan to "Watch us make you rage"

Comments:

BimmerE38FN

Think to check...

Review by shilofax See Profile

• Location: Long Beach,Harrison,MS
Good "Used to be great, excellent service"
Bad "For the past two months, 7% packet loss"
Overall "Avoid like the plague"

I ordered the 50/2 package, I get about 30/1 on good days, sometimes worse.

I've been a customer for over 10 years, and I will be leaving them this month.

For the past two months, we have been dealing with 7% packet loss, and outages lasting hours. After 7 different calls to our local office, and the corporate office, nothing has been done to help correct this issue.

member for 1 year, 16 visits, last login: 18 days ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

BimmerE38FN

...

Too bad. C1 has been good for me for 10 years I've been with them. This is probably isolated to your are and needs someone to listen and come see what is going on. A tech should come out and test everything. Besides this is probably isolated to your area. Not everyone has this problem.

Review by Le Roy See Profile

• Location: Biloxi,Harrison,MS
Good "You call this broadband?"
Bad "Unreliable service"
Overall "Only get Cable One if you have NO other options."

I've been a Cable One subscriber since 2008. Recently their service has sucked (the past 6 months) so bad that I get disconnected on an hourly basis most days. Tonight, 3:50AM and I've been disconnected about 10 times since midnight. Completely unacceptable. ATT offers a 6Mb connection (I'm currently paying for a 10Mb from Cable One) and 6Mb 24/7 is better and faster than 10 Mb whenever it wants to work.

Comments:

Review by 5statemobile

• Location: Ponca City,Kay,OK
Good "After months, they finally got it working"
Bad "Horrible service that is not dependable"
Overall "Stick with DSL, it may not be the fastest, but at least its reliable"

After 2 days of going to their office, modem being exchanged 3 times,
and three service trucks today, they finally got the speed up. We'll see
how long this lasts..... I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but am not
really optimistic based on a year of experience.

• Location: Ponca City,Kay,OK
Good "Nice, Slick TV Commercials"
Bad "Both TV and Cablemodem suck"
Overall "Your better off with Telco DSL"

What CableOne advertises and what it provides don't even come close to
the truth. The cablemodem service is horrible. The costs is sky high.
Actually, I'm going back to DSL from the phone company. The poor service
and worse speed from CableOne just isn't worth it. Yesterday, during off
peak hours I got the fantastic speed of 45kbs download. That's dialup !
The city I live in provides free WiFii service. While my CableOne modem
was giving me 45kbs, my free City WiFii was giving 160+kbs. Pathetic!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:
Couriant

join:2012-10-29
Peoria, AZ

Still getting the slow speeds?

Did you check with technicial support to find the cause? If it's a modem issue that they provide, they will replace it for free.

Good "There ain't none"
Bad "Is Really Bad"
Overall "Your better off with Telco DSL"

Seems like with Cable One, no matter what you pay you still get rotten
service. I'm on their 50Mbps service. What a joke!

• Location: Ponca City,Kay,OK
Good "Nice, Slick TV Commercials"
Bad "TV Commercials Aren't for What I Got"
Overall "Better than DSL, But Not By Much"

Not dependable - lots of outages during daytime - some for three and
four hours.

Speed fluctuates wildly. Best time to use CableOne DSL is after midnight
or 1 AM.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:
Couriant

join:2012-10-29
Peoria, AZ

Speed Loss / Connection Issue

If you haven't so already with our national technicial support center, I would like to check your connection so please message me through here or if you feel uncomfortable to message me, please contact us at 1-877-692-2253, 24 hours a day. If your speeds are not close to the speeds you are paying for, we can look at your account to find out what is causing it.