CableOne page on DSLReports

Review by bmiles See Profile

• Location: Texarkana,Bowie,TX
Good "Performs like it should during off peak hours...for the most part"
Bad "Awful latency issues from 6pm-11:30pm daily makes it almost unusable"
Overall "If you like to game or watch videos during primetime..look elsewhere."

We have had the 50/3 package for almost a year now and the last 6 months or so have been terrible. Latency has been a problem during primetime (6pm-11:30pm) for most of 2014. It jumps from a baseline of about 100ms to 500 and up to over 1000ms consistently (with jitter from 100ms to 500 and up) until almost midnight when things settle down. I have been complaining for months now and have been told for months that they are aware there are issues in our area (Texarkana) and are allegedly working on them...yeah right. After investigating the first two hops are always at fault (I do not have an external ip address so I guess C1 has me behind a double nat as well...)

My interactions with support have been a mixed bag. The good support folks are really good but the bad ones are not so helpful. I do applaud C1 for having US based support staff.

I would have already switched if the only competition in town wasn't Windstream 6/750k . If things don't improve over the summer going back to Windstream is a real possibility which speaks volumes about how unsatisfied we are with C1.

When it works C1 is pretty decent, unfortunately it seems to be oversold and they have to desire to improve capacity or are very slow at implementing improvements. The 300gb data cap, or threshhold as they call it ,is ridiculous and should be done away with or be at least twice as much.

Until they get their capacity issues resolved they should be truthful and change their slogan to "Watch us make you rage"

Comments:

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
·CableOne

Think to check...

I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For DSL or Fiber service lines, ensure that the ISP is using good working phone or cable lines to the DSL modem and that the phone lines are filtered correctly. For cable Internet, RG-6 coaxial cable is needed, not RG-59. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. I recommend having the ISP service physically check the lines going from the out side to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.

Review by Gem See Profile

Good "Very nice folks in local office and excellent installers."
Bad "Slow ping rates - often 200ms or higher"
Overall "Overpriced and declining service quality"

Cable one seems to me to have cut back drastically (imo) on the availability of technical assistance when we have service issues with their cable TV, Internet, or Phone services. Now it seems that they have little or no technical assistance "after normal hours" or on weekends or on holidays.

The web page for configuring our services and accounts on line frequently has not fully worked for us. Long load times and often a "Sorry, that is not available now" or words to that effect notice pops up saying "try again later" or again - words to that effect.

This used to be a much better company than what we are experiencing now.

member for 8.8 years, 3242 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by shilofax See Profile

• Location: Long Beach,Harrison,MS
Good "Used to be great, excellent service"
Bad "For the past two months, 7% packet loss"
Overall "Avoid like the plague"

I ordered the 50/2 package, I get about 30/1 on good days, sometimes worse.

I've been a customer for over 10 years, and I will be leaving them this month.

For the past two months, we have been dealing with 7% packet loss, and outages lasting hours. After 7 different calls to our local office, and the corporate office, nothing has been done to help correct this issue.

Comments:

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
·CableOne

...

Too bad. C1 has been good for me for 10 years I've been with them. This is probably isolated to your are and needs someone to listen and come see what is going on. A tech should come out and test everything. Besides this is probably isolated to your area. Not everyone has this problem.

Review by Le Roy See Profile

• Location: Biloxi,Harrison,MS
Good "You call this broadband?"
Bad "Unreliable service"
Overall "Only get Cable One if you have NO other options."

I've been a Cable One subscriber since 2008. Recently their service has sucked (the past 6 months) so bad that I get disconnected on an hourly basis most days. Tonight, 3:50AM and I've been disconnected about 10 times since midnight. Completely unacceptable. ATT offers a 6Mb connection (I'm currently paying for a 10Mb from Cable One) and 6Mb 24/7 is better and faster than 10 Mb whenever it wants to work.

Comments:

Review by 5statemobile

• Location: Ponca City,Kay,OK
Good "After months, they finally got it working"
Bad "Horrible service that is not dependable"
Overall "Stick with DSL, it may not be the fastest, but at least its reliable"

After 2 days of going to their office, modem being exchanged 3 times,
and three service trucks today, they finally got the speed up. We'll see
how long this lasts..... I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but am not
really optimistic based on a year of experience.

• Location: Ponca City,Kay,OK
Good "Nice, Slick TV Commercials"
Bad "Both TV and Cablemodem suck"
Overall "Your better off with Telco DSL"

What CableOne advertises and what it provides don't even come close to
the truth. The cablemodem service is horrible. The costs is sky high.
Actually, I'm going back to DSL from the phone company. The poor service
and worse speed from CableOne just isn't worth it. Yesterday, during off
peak hours I got the fantastic speed of 45kbs download. That's dialup !
The city I live in provides free WiFii service. While my CableOne modem
was giving me 45kbs, my free City WiFii was giving 160+kbs. Pathetic!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:
Couriant

join:2012-10-29
Peoria, AZ

Still getting the slow speeds?

Did you check with technicial support to find the cause? If it's a modem issue that they provide, they will replace it for free.

Good "There ain't none"
Bad "Is Really Bad"
Overall "Your better off with Telco DSL"

Seems like with Cable One, no matter what you pay you still get rotten
service. I'm on their 50Mbps service. What a joke!

• Location: Ponca City,Kay,OK
Good "Nice, Slick TV Commercials"
Bad "TV Commercials Aren't for What I Got"
Overall "Better than DSL, But Not By Much"

Not dependable - lots of outages during daytime - some for three and
four hours.

Speed fluctuates wildly. Best time to use CableOne DSL is after midnight
or 1 AM.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:
Couriant

join:2012-10-29
Peoria, AZ

Speed Loss / Connection Issue

If you haven't so already with our national technicial support center, I would like to check your connection so please message me through here or if you feel uncomfortable to message me, please contact us at 1-877-692-2253, 24 hours a day. If your speeds are not close to the speeds you are paying for, we can look at your account to find out what is causing it.

Review by sheureka See Profile

• Location: Bisbee,Cochise,AZ
Good "Speeds are reasonable (and the fastest available at 5MBPS)"
Bad "Unable to use video chat, google voice, etc."
Overall "Useless for me - I'm leaving ASAP"

I switched from Qwest, which had much slower speeds but seemed more reliable. It worked great for video calls and google voice. I can't get either one to work with CableOne. I've tried to contact them for help but just spend a lot of time on hold, which I can't afford because I only have a cellphone. The "ask a question/tech support form" on their website doesn't work, so I'm stuck with having to try to call. I'm used to using very few cellphone minutes and only google voice from home but no one can understand me since the switch. I'm switching back as soon as I can (I have to save up some money for the install).

member for 11.8 years, 2380 visits, last login: 2.1 years ago

Comments:

wired4life

@cableone.net

CableOne raising monthly rate to $50

I just got an account notification from CableOne stating the service (5MB $43 a month) is now going up to $50 a month. No added features, just bend over and take it.

I talked with my local office and all they could muster up is trying to sell me a package deal. I've been with them for seven years now and they don't care at all. I told them there are at least three or four providers that could beat there speeds and prices.

I'm going to CenturyLink....see ya CableNone!

mgcman

@96.18.0.x

Re: CableOne raising monthly rate to $50

In N. Texas they habitually talk to you like you're a computer illiterate child. Their automated recordings (not even a real person any longer) will tell you: "Unplug, wait 30 sec., plug back in...It must be your wireless router, you're not standing on one foot and patting your head right". Sad. They have NEVER admitted they are to blame for lost connections for days yet after some time everything magically works again. Hmm, must not have been on my end after all. As soon as I move they can collect money from those that are left. If they ever get competition, they will just move to another part of the country. Forget visiting the Sherman, TX office in person. They have got smart and closed it to the public period.

Review by SSJ4GOGETA21 See Profile

• Location: Fargo,Cass,ND
Bad "Not always fast, it lags a lot of the time for being 50 Mbps, 50 GB limit per month or you get overage charges"
Overall "If I had Midcontinent in my area that is who I would go through"

This company is not the greatest, I would not have them unless they were the ONLY viable option in your area,

Comments:

Told ya so

@twtelecom.net

Get ya there faster

It's all about the money. They allegedly give you a 50 meg connection but give you a 50 G cap Watching a few movies or gaming will undoubtedly get you there fast. Cable One can't sufficiently keep the 50 meg users happy. Old cable plant and lack of fiber build will eventually hurt. Cable TV has limits and bonding of channels takes away from cable TV channels available. The company really doesn't care about the customer all they care about is the money in the long run.