Metrocast Communications page on DSLReports

Review by Jim_in_VA See Profile

• Location: Cobbs Creek,Mathews,VA
Good "Excellent Speeds"
Bad "Pricey for the speed level"
Overall "worth it if you can afford it"

I went for the Ultra internet only connection which is 50 down 5 up. I consistently get 53 down and 5.7 up. So they over-deliver on that spec. Ping is usually 13-17ms. The install took longer for me because I have underground utilities. So had to get Miss Utility to mark the power and telco lines first, then a contractor had to bury the line about 180' from cable pedestal to the house. Then a Metrocast tech to actually hook it up to a modem I bought. It all went very smooth. I am very happy with the service. It never slows down at anytime of the day.

member for 10.1 years, 3275 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

KG VA

@74.214.55.x

Metrocast SUCKS!!

I hate metrocast one of the worst cable networks out there, every month all the channels just stop working and you have to try and fix it, and if you don't have a DVR in all the rooms then you won't be getting a TV guide u have to flip through all the channels manually like an old fashioned TV, I hate it and I don't recommend it to anyone.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Re: Metrocast SUCKS!!

I only have internet with Metrocast, which is very stable, can't comment on their TV service. I have Dish for TV
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

Review by Kilo Volt See Profile

• Location: Waterford,New London,CT
Good "Works well since cable replacement "
Bad "Speed slows down intermittently"
Overall "I am happy "

Package I bought was for 3 meg download and .5 meg upload 3 years ago @ 42.00 a month, they did a cable replacement through out this neighborhood.
I now have downloads of 17 meg avg and 1.5 upload and i did not change plans.
I picked up the equipment and hooked it up myself Motorola SB5101
The only bad luck I had was I had to put a high band filter on because I kept loosing service or would slow to a crawl, but ever since they replaced the cable I removed the filter and all has been fine

Comments:

Review by COOLBREEZE01 See Profile

• Location: Sterling,Windham,CT
Good "Yeah not much to say here. "
Bad "0 customer service"
Overall "Not sure what to tell you here ... if customer service doesnt improve I will drop this service."

Completely missed an appointment today 1/25/14 11:00-2:00 NO-CALL NO-SHOW. Not sure who is running the show here now but if I miss a Dr. appointment they charge me $50. This is totally unacceptable customer service. A simple 2 min call saying they wouldn't make the window would have gone a long way here.

Comments:

Review by N3CAL See Profile

• Location: Lexington Park,Saint Marys,MD
Good "Rock Solid Service in 2013!"
Bad "None "
Overall "Only ISP / Service available in my area. I have no other option."

July 2005 we purchased our home and ordered service. At the time the local cable/internet company in St. Mary’s County, Maryland was GMPEXPRESS. The customer service order went okay and after a two week wait service was installed. I am leasing the cable modem: Motorola SB5101 @ $2.95/month. No problems except the modem would require a power reset several times a week. My GMPEXPRESS service "Residential Gold” was 3.0mb down / 384kb up. Our previous home we had Verizon DSL at 1.5MB but DSL is not available in this area so I have no other options. GMP offered the DSL modem buyback at $8.33 credit each month for 12 months. July and August went fine with download speeds always above 2.0mb each day. September 1, 2005 GMPEXPRESS was acquired by METROCAST. I received a letter from METROCAST detailing my new exciting premium High Speed service at 4 MB /384K for the same price! Since METROCAST took over the download speeds has dropped to less than 400kb day - night. The only time I can even get over 1.5 mb down is in the early morning hours. That’s no where close to 3.0 - 4.0 mb down! I've have called several times and have had several trouble tickets which they close out only after sending a Tech out to check the line. Techs always say my signals are fine and the problem is with the Head End. They are overloaded and can't handle the # of customers. This has gone on for the past 3 months. The local office has admitted their system is overloaded and they are adding more equipment to handle the load but to date the service/speed is far below what I feel I should get for my money. Tech Support doesn't know the status of the companies equipment upgrades and only insists on sending a tech out each time to check the line. They did replace my leased modem a week ago with another Motorola SB5101 which had a newer release firmware but the download speeds are still terrible. Billing each month has been painful also. Each month they forget to include the $8.33 DSL buyback credit. That requires another painful call to their Tech Support line. It's the end of January 2006 and still waiting for some decent download speeds. I wish they would reduce the monthly fee until this problem can be resolved. My advice is steer clear until they can improve their service. It's not worth the headache.

Update: 6 April 2006

It's been 10 weeks since I wrote my review. Nothing has changed except Metrocast continues to take on additional customers and has been unable to resolve any of the issues. It's been a month since they added another CMTS but service has not improved! It's gotten worse! My download speed this evening is less than 100 kbps and upload only 200 kbps. Broadband Reports.com packet loss test shows 25 -27 % packet loss between my modem and first node, all hops after the front end shows no loss at all! My call to Tech Support tonight confirmed the packet loss however they can only report the issue to the local St. Mary's County Office. My calls to the local office go unanswered. I guess they are tired of hearing the numerous complaints from their customers. My frustration could be less if only Metrocast had the decency to inform their customers of the situation and what their plans are to resolve it. It sounds like they need additional equipment besides the CMTS? I really would like to drop this nightmare but this is my only option! IOW I'm screwed and pissed all for 52$ a month! ARGHHHH

Update 2, May 03, 2006

Management called me May 1st in response to my Better Business Bureau Complaint. Metrocast gave me a one month credit for service but no apologies or answers. Since this was a management type employee she was unable to answer any of my questions. She wanted to know if my service had improved lately which my response was the average 200-500K download during the afternoon and evening hours along with 10-35% packet loss had only improved to 1000-1800 kbps download and about 7-10% packet loss. Yes there is an improvement but not up to my expectations. Early morning hours have improved to about 3500 kbps down. Her only response was to send another Tech out to my house again! The Tech was here yesterday and I was able to get some of my questions answered. The Tech called Leo and Bobbie and they indicated they were still working the issues for my area (Greenbrier) and it could be another month at least! From what I was able to get out of the Tech is the OTN site I get my service from (Ridge) needs another fiber optic line run from Leonardtown (Head End) to handle the customer base. Till then it looks like afternoon and evenings will be well below rated speeds. To sum it all up, Metrocasts Network was designed around a customer base of approx 2000 but they have at least 8000. They need allot of work to get where they need to be. BEWARE.....

Update 3, Aug 16, 2006

After about 2 months of decent download speeds (3200 kbps) Metrocast is back down to being overloaded during the afternoon and evening hours. The last week my download speeds have only been around 150 kbps. My upload has been solid at 384 kbps. Tech Support waiting time is in excess of 100 minutes. I still get the same old acknowledgement of "we have had allot of calls about the terrible speeds" and "we will have someone come out and check your line". I've had to put up with this terrible service for a full year now! The only thing Metrocast is reliable about is sending you a bill every month! Metrocast is the worst ISP I have ever had to deal with! Avoid if at all possible.

Update 4, Dec 26, 2006

Most of the problems over the past year have been resolved since MetroCast has updated their equipment here in St. Mary's County, Maryland. I can honestly say service has been reliable throughout the day and evening hours with avg download speeds of about 3900 kbps over the last three months (Oct-Dec 2006). November 15, 2006 I received a letter from Metrocast saying they were increasing their rates. High Speed Internet was going up $2.00/month and they were going to increase download speed from 4 MB to 6 MB. Well my December bill has already arrived and they held true to the $2.00 increase but I have not seen the speed increase yet! A call into the office today indicates the speed increase will take effect on 1 Jan 2007. I'm not holding my breath! I'll update again in the near future. Lets see if they can do it? I hope the new year is not another repeat of the last year!

Update: January 13, 2007

Metrocast's Download Speed increase to 6 MB has been very painful here in Lexington Park, Maryland. The supposed increase took effect 1 Jan 2007 however the reliable speeds I wrote about in my last update (over 3000 kbps) have disappeared. My download speeds have dropped way down to only 600 kbps or less during the day and evening hours. I've placed a trouble call to Metrocast which has been outstanding for 13 days. To date they have been to my house and verified the cable and modem are good but the problem is still unresolved. After providing the Tech with download data for the last 15 day period he agreed there is a problem on the Metrocast side.

I can only conclude that Metrocast is using deceptive advertising tactics and they "throttle their bandwidth" to the extent of 80% or more during daytime and evening hours. 600 kbps or less for a 6000 kbps service is plain wrong! Customers are not getting what they pay for!

Update: Feb 15, 2007

Metrocast still has not resolved the poor download speed issues for my area (Greenbrier). I have spoken with the local office several times since January 1, 2007 when the upgrade from 4 MB- 6 MB took effect. Metrocast has told me that several Nodes in my area are overloaded. They say a normal Node has around 200-250 customers on it. Metrocast tells me the node I’m on has over 500 customers on it. This is the same thing Metrocast told me back in the spring of 2006! It took several months to add equipment to fix that previous problem. I was led to believe the overloaded nodes then were updated to handle the number of customers in the area and also allow for additional growth! What I don’t understand is how a Node can work fine at 3500-3900 kbps download speeds, 24 hours a day from August 1, 2006-December 31, 2006, then overnight it becomes overloaded again and speeds drop to only 600 kbps? It doesn’t make sense!

Over the past two months Metrocast has said they were going to split up the Nodes again. The magic date was supposed to be Feb 13, 2007. Well it’s Feb 15th and download speeds are only around 700-1200 kbps from 3:00 pm through 12:00pm (Midnight) which is only a couple 100 kbps improvement if that. I’m also still on the same node and wonder what will happen when folks start to move into the 100 or so homes in the new section and are brought onto the same node?? I just doesn’t look like there is actually any equipment upgrades happening.

I can honestly say Metrocast can only provide a 700/384 service reliably to this area. It is not a 6000/384 service they advertise and it’s not worth $54.00 per month! Beware!

Update: July 2010

The saga continues. I had to downgrade my 10 Meg/ 1 Meg service because I was not getting anything close to the speeds they advertised. Metrocast has made strides in updating their hardware and improving speeds in my area (Greenbrier) however they still need some work. After a very painful winter with over crowded nodes they have improved. Speeds have been more reliable and outages kept to a minimum. I'm currently getting by with 7 meg /.5 Meg service.

Update: February 2012

Metrocast has continued to upgrade their systems and increase their speeds however it still seems they have equipment issues here in Maryland. I now have the HSD Ultra internet package (25/2 Mbps) $69.95 During peak times of the day I'm lucky to see 10-12 Mbps down. Metrocast did contact me to say they will be installing new Head End equipment in my area sometime this quarter to resolve the issues we see here in the Greenbrier subdivision. Till then, issues will remain. It's the same old story. The price is high compared to other ISP's.

Update: December 2013

Metrocast seems to have completed upgrades in the past year. They have really made a great difference. My HSD Ultra Package has been rock solid the entire year and just last week they increased the package speeds once again. I now get 52/5 Mbps for $69.95. I've been happy and have no complaints.

Comments:
political_i

join:2013-11-12

Update Ratings?

So it was rated quite low and would those ratings now be able to be revised up?

N3CAL
join:2005-04-27
Lexington Park, MD

Re: Update Ratings?

Yes, they deserve a rating upgrade for my location in Lexington Park, Maryland

Review by tuocekim See Profile

• Location: Putnam,Windham,CT
Good "Decent speeds"
Bad "Connection issues, wish the upstream was higher"
Overall "It's all I can get, so I have to accept their faults."

Updated:

Since myeastern was sold to Metrocast I have seen steady increases in prices. I finally cancelled my HDTV bundle and went to just internet due to the package hitting over $300/month. At $69.99 their highest tier service is relatively competitive, but still not the best value out there. I currently have 35/2mpbs, and tested at 36.5/2.6mpbs.

A few years ago I had been having connection issues while using my old SB5100, they provided me a SB5101 at no cost which helped. It seems that I have a connection probably at least once a year where they roll a truck out, find something wrong at the pole and then my connections stabilize. Recently I had been having problems where the modem would lose sync at least once a week, sometimes for a minute, sometimes for hours.

I recently received a letter saying the speeds had increased from 20mpbs to 35mpbs, requiring a DOCSIS 3 modem, so I went and purchased the SBG6580. Modem was provisioned and working within half an hour of talking with tech support. I haven't had any connection problems since this upgrade.

___________________

Have had the lower tier service for about a year and a half. It started at 1.5Mbps/128kbps, and has been upgraded to I believe 3Mbps/256kbps. Have had virtually no issues with my connection, except for a few minor incidents. Price is I believe $35/mo if you have cable, or $45/mo without cable tv service.

Would love to get a hier tier of service, but bundled with my HDTV service my bill is already peaking $150/mo.

All-in-all myeastern is competitively priced and a decent ISP.

member for 11.7 years, 5269 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dev_null See Profile

• Location: Boston, MA
Good "Fairly comprehensive channel availability"
Bad "Pricing, lack of viable bundles"
Overall "Pick just about any other option (including satelite)"

We've had MC (in one form or the other) since mid-2005 since relocating to south eastern CT. Started out with Eastern (now MC) for cable and HSI, but the pricing for HSI was shockingly high compared to SBC (now ATT) DSL. Tried repeatedly to negotiate pricing with them to retain me as a HSI customer, but they had no interest in negotiating. I dropped MC HSI and have been a DSL customer with ATT since end-2005.

When MC started with telephone I called about bundling, because their prices seemed high for the individual services. Turns out they have bundles, but they are not competitive with de-bundled services from ATT combined with MC cable. And again, they seem to have no interest in being competitive.

Cable service with MC is generally acceptable, though the prices have increased nearly 25% since I started in 2005. It seems we get nickled and dimed for everything - what was once free (e.g., cable box for the expanded basic) is now a monthly charge. Occasional pixelation of channels requires "hard-boot" of cable box and/or cable card (about once a month). I will say that they are willing to roll a truck when the issue can't be readily fixed over the phone.

Interestingly, it seems that may actually be the last MC cable customer in my neighborhood (or was last year, anyway). Every single other house has a satellite dish, and at a tech call last year, the tech commented that they don't have many customers to service up our way (just outside of Flanders four corners! not off in the woods somewhere), and he'd never been in our cul-de-sac before.

If Uverse ever rolls out in this area, I will be certainly giving a hard look at it. Perhaps then MC will decide to be more competitive on bundles.

Update March 2013

Recent relocation allowed me to subscribe to FIOS, and gave me the distinct pleasure to call and cancel this expensive, uncompetitive service.

When I called to cancel I was asked why I was canceling, I said price. She said, oh, you pay too much? I said, you charge too much. She said, are you going to a competitor; I said yes. She said, how much are you paying, and we can do a triple play for $175/mo. I said: too much. I'm going to a competitor, $79 for HSI and TV. She said, thanks for being a customer, didn't even bother trying to discuss a match. Not that it would have mattered, but you can see the kind of company it is.

Really, if you have the chance, go with someone else.

Comments:

Review by ashenfenix See Profile

• Location: Waterford,New London,CT
Good "the people are nice, and try to help. service technicians always helpful and willing to go the extra mile."
Bad "can be slow to get new equipment"
Overall "seems to be best thing for my area"

service technicians always helpful and willing to go the extra mile.had a long term issue that lasted for months. spotty connectivity. just got a new modem. should have happened sooner

Comments:

Review by veloct See Profile

• Location: Moosup,Windham,CT
Good "It's better than no internet."
Bad "Phone support is hit and miss at times. Better ask for the supervisor for proper service."
Overall "Go with DSL, Fios or U-Verse if available to you."

Signed up on the 2nd of April after many conversations vial IM with odog, he was very helpful and straight forward. After some issues with SBC (billing problem, loss of speed, lackluster support) I decided to switch to cable. So far is great, time will tell but so far I'm happy with myeastern.com.

April 13, 2004:
Today we got a nice surprise from ECC and we got upgraded to 2500/256, at least for now. They are going to test it and see how it goes, it may go up or down but it's nice still to get upgraded. Kudos to Owen and the staff at myeastern.com

February 24, 2005
I upgraded last night to the new Ultra package ( 6.0/512 with DHCP) with a new 60 Gb cap for only $20 more per month. The service has been good (seems we have one outage per month but it's not for too long and i was taken care off when i complained) and the service you get is the best in the broadband game, no doubt. The staff at myeastern.com is great.

May 2005
Moving to Moosup in a week and I'm glad to find out that ECC is my cable provider here so I'm going with Digital Basic and the 3.0/256 DHCP tier. I just wasn't really using the 6.0/512 but I'm still happy to be able to stay with ECC. They just plain kick ass.

June 2005
Been here for almost two weeks and ECC has been rock solid. I decided to upgrade to the DVR box instead of the basic digital box, glad we did. We love it. And as usual the internet connection is great and the support Owen and Rob provide is beyond great, ECC is as good as it can get.

Dec 2005
I have nothing bad to say about ECC, they are great. A little pricey but that's not due to the broadband but the cable service for what we pay is not worth it to me. I am going back to SBC and use their bundle service which will save me quite a bit and I'll have a reliable phone line and still enjoy broadband and digital TV service.

March 2009
Back to Metrocast (myeastern). Their 7/512 service is great. Everything is working as intended.

March 2009 part 2
Been connected for a little over a week and have had to call tech support twice (30 mins. total phone time each time), one for TV (cable box decided to stop working) and now for internet (no connection at all). I called and I'm being told it may be Monday before a tech is even able to come out to our apartment. Now I remember why I left in the first place. Not happy at all. Lucky that our neighbor has been kind enough to let us connect through their DSL line.

April 2009
About a month and a half in and I've had 1 outage and 2 minor hiccups so far. I think I've downloaded a file once in that time where I actually had a higher download rate than with my old DSL line. Jury is still out though, I won't go back to DSL just yet, we'll see how things go in May.

May 2009
Still getting the odd connection drop here and there. Makes no sense at all, anything happens and I have to unplug everything to the modem and reconnect everything just to reset it. I'm probably going to go back to DSL in June, seems that cable is still subpar in CT.

May 2010
Connection reliability is not in Metrocasts vocabulary but incompetence and total disregard for customer satisfaction is.

Dec 2010
Looks like we will be moving in the next few months to a new place so hopefully we'll be somewhere where I'll have a few options for internet access. Metrocast has been good lately, odd drop here and there as usual. We'll see how it goes after the move.

Sep 2012
Still using Metrocast for internet, on the ultra package (25/2). Service has been good the last year and a half, speeds fluctuate a lot. Still no other real options for broadband in the area so that's pretty much it.

member for 11.6 years, 2791 visits, last login: 202 days ago

Comments:

Review by roozie1 See Profile

• Location: Shapleigh,York,ME
Good "prices speed connection relianility"
Bad "long contract term"
Overall "the best ISP"

i like metrocast its the best ISP i know i been useng metrocast for 10 years.

Comments:

Review by icedcorn See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Strafford,NH
Good "Fast connections, speed as advertised after a hiccup Now up to 25/2"
Bad "Had some initial issues but were fixed."
Overall "in the Rochester NH area, you aren't getting 25/2 anywhere else."

I had used Verizon DSL for some time, however due to my distance from the CO, the highest speed I could possibly get was 1.5 down. This of course is "slow" by broadband standards

I had been with Metrocast for a few years before I switched to Verizon DSL. (Back in 1998, it was a one way cable modem with 512 down and a phone line up)....Verizon offered $29.95 a month with a free wireless router/modem combo. Verizon also offered MSN Premium free.

So now that I'm with Metrocast, I gave up the wireless router/modem and had to buy a separate Linksys wireless modem. I had to give up the "Free" MSN Premium and go with the pay by month feature ($9.95). I had to give up ESPN 360.

In return for all that I got 4x the speed. Sometimes. After multiple calls with tech support and having an onsite tech, we found out that the signal to my cable modem was too low. Once we got it fixed the speed went through the roof (the speed was always high on speedtests but never in real world downloading).

Now I am happy with the service. The signal thing just took a long time to fix. Thankfully a Metrocast tech is on the DSL forum and I found it was much easier to talk to him about issues than calling the traditional lines.

Metrocast now handles my cable TV, digital phone and internet. I still have had a few billing bumps but they've always been courteous to me on the phone and have tried do to what they need to in order to resolve my problems.

Again, my package is the "high speed" 6.0 down, which I got for $39.95 for six months and then it goes up to $41.95. I phone call set up an install which was within a week, I believe it was about three days. The original modem installed was a standard Motorola SURFboard, but when I switched to digital phone, I now have an ARRIS TW502G.

Update: 1/10/12
Metrocast has continually upgraded their system and as of today they have upgraded their "ultra" package to 25mb down and 2mb up. I bought my own DOCSIS 3.0 modem and I'm usually getting 24/1.9 which is great.

I've been very pleased with their upgrades and service. They've really gotten better over time. Still no WatchESPN or hbogo...but fingers are crossed.