Insight Communications page on DSLReports

Review by TDOG See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "Both services ( TV (classic,boxless)and internet(15/1) are reliable."
Bad "Too expensive"
Overall "It's this or AT&T"

August 16 2014. My monthly bill has gone up from $116.00 to $131.00 with no changes in my services. What a RIP!

Aug 2, 2013: Nothing has changed...Internet connection still very reliable. TV still too expensive. I watch 25% of the channels I'm paying for, The rest are crap! And aill s I have said before, TWC and ATT have a lock on Louisville KY.

March 9,2013

They raised my classic tv and 15/1 internet , but at least I am not paying the $5.99/ mo. modem rental fee. My total monthly bill is still about 20 dollars less . I didn't use the phone any way.

Jan. 3 2013:

Had Insight phone disconnected yesterday. I also turned in my Arris modem because I bought a new Motorola SB 6121 Modem. I will update again next month after I get my bill . This modem actually gave me a slight increase in upload speed. Stay tuned

Dec. 5,2012

Time Warner Acquisition is about complete.

My 10/1 internet connection was automatically upgraded to 15/1

TV,Phone and Internet connection solid.

I guess we will stay with TWC unless something better comes along.

TDOG

Comments:

Review by TDOG See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY

Comments:

Review by itch See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "service is good for the money, but i do not know what to expect with Time warner in the near future"
Bad "none for the past 3 years."
Overall "great value for the money. DVR is better then using VCR tapes for recording shows for my wife."

Insight has been great to have for cable service. Better then most cable companies in the nation. Their website is user friendly. Have 4 televisions hooked up to service and great reception on all. Had snowy pictures a few years ago but was rewired on the outside of house and great picture now. ( The house was 1st to have service 30 years ago.)

Internet speed is great for doing work at home.

Now have Time Warner Cable, not as good as Insight was.

Internet speed is faster. The cost of the cable boxes and DVR service is higher then Insight. we did not have to pay for DVR service with Insight.

customer service is hard to talk to a person when you call it.

Comments:

Review by Matt7 See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "Called at 3pm, had installed by 5pm.."
Bad "Standard Pace DVR appears to have only 2 tuners."
Overall "overall a great deal."

03/21/12:

3:00 pm:

Decided to switch to Insight after having Uverse only internet for a few years. Called up wanting only internet but sales talked me into the DVR as a special bundle said they could have a tech out same day by 8pm.

5:00 pm:

Contractor tech from Broadband Express shows up with the Standard Pace DVR and Surfboard 5101 modem.. install takes less than 30 minutes.. We chat about the the merger of Time Warner and Insight...

5:30 pm:

Tech leaves and service is up. Overall typical cable.. Kind of wish the Standard Pace DVR did more than 2 tuners but that's typical of cable.

I have Pace DVR with Digital Cable
Road Runner Standard 10 Mb / 1 Mb

Update 3/22/12:

Apparently most of overnight the modem dropped offline -- and is this morning -- the Digital Cable does not seem to be phased but internet is flaky.

Modem levels are nasty :

Channel ID 10
Frequency 32700000 Hz
Power 49.2 dBmV

Update 03/26/12:

Called Dispatch back (they had left a message while I was away over the weekend asking how my install was) informed about modem loosing sync.. She found some opening in the tech's schedule and got them back out within the hour of making the phone call!

They replaced the SB5101 with an RCA Modem and changed out the splitter and the connection at the tap.. Things have been stable since then.

Forward Path:

Channel ID: 9
Modulation: 16 QAM

Things have improved.

Have 10 Mb down / 1Mb up for Road Runner

Pace HD-DVR with Classic cable..

9/26/12:

Notice from apartment complex that they are ending Insight's access to the property (going with a MDU Dish Network setup over the Coax in the building and offering "wifi internet")

So I had to leave Insight.. Overall despite a few outages was great being a customer and was actually looking forward to the switch to Time Warner.. Inisght made improvements over the few months I had service -- including folders on the Pace DVR.

Only gripe was when I called to cancel they wanted to charge $25 to come get the equipment so I had to take it back to the local office myself.

4/10/13 UPDATE: Moving back to Insight Cable for Internet..

Called and ordered services -- Standard Internet 10/1 for $45.95 with a 49.95 install fee.. Scheduled Insight install for tomorrow (THU) 5p-7p.

9/9/13 - Left Insight (had turbo 20/1 at first but they finally upgraded to 20/2 after the TWC merger 7/1/13. Still can not get service beyond turbo speeds so I went back to AT&T Uverse.

11/08/13 - Had TWC Turbo 20/2 installed again.. Outlet actually was still "hot" Getting rated speed (about 22 down / 2.15 up).

2/12/14 - Heard that 30/5, 50/5 was released to Columbus former Insight areas that had Road Runner. Signed up via a chat rep. Getting 33 down / 5.15 up on speed tests.

Comments:

Review by gadawg See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Overall "Ok. It provides what we need."

Whole house DVR is very buggy. DVR service sometimes unavailable. Multiple recordings get deleted when you delete one recording. Notr sure if it is worth the money.

Dumped insight (now Time Warner) for ATT Uverse. Very happy with Uverse. Getting ready to drop TV services. We don't watch all the channels so switching to an antenna.

member for 8.8 years, 1577 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by smashcraft See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "Speed (during off peak times)"
Bad "Declining customer service since Time Warner took over"
Overall "Somewhat reliable connection, slow speeds in evening and weekends"

·AT&T Southeast
Switched from AT&T UVerse...price was getting too high and I found myself having to call every month to fix my uverse bill. I went with Multi-Room DVR Digital Cable, Insight Phone and 10meg internet. Connection is rock solid, even during peak internet times (8-1am). With Uverse, I had a lot of feedback and static on the telephone (voip) line. With Insight, no feedback, crystal clear connection. Seems to have a lot more telephone features than with Uverse Voip. Multi-Room DVR works great...no problems as of yet.

Originally I was going to do the Internet and Phone through Insight for 43.00, but the tech said he was unable to install it with Uverse Cable running to the house as they were using the coax cable lines. Opted to go ahead with the Multi-Room DVR....so far it was a good choice.

Equipment includes a ARRIS Touchstone Cable/Voip modem and Pace Digital DVRs.

Install went off without any hitches. Only thing that confused me was that the installer cut the main underground AT&T (Bellsouth) line that was coming in to the NID. I doubt that I ever will, but if I have to go back to AT&T, they will have to re-run and bury a new drop. Insight did have to run a new drop as the previous cable line was dead.

All-in-all, I am happy with all services and the install at this time. Will be updating in the future.

6/23/2011

Service is still working great. Only issue I am having is that during Tornado Warnings or other storm related warnings, the DVR will freeze, read EAS, but no message will come up. It does take away your regular programming (i/e when you are watching the weather during the severe storms), but the DVR does come back up in a few minutes. During the Tornados last night, all three services stayed rock solid. I did not experience any outages or loss of telephone, tv or internet.

9/24/2011

Service is still rock solid. I am having a small issue with my Insight Phone. It is crackling in the background some, only when I call other people, not on inbound calls. I think I have isolated the problem to the equipment and not my inside wiring. A technician is coming out next week to take a look at the issue. Outside of that, all other services are working great. I'm still pretty pleased with switching from Uverse, though, I am a little worried about the acquisition from Time Warner Cable. I've heard mixed reviews on the company, so only time will tell. Only other small issue is sometimes the Multi Room DVR is somewhat buggy, but it is nothing I cannot live with.

11/23/2011

Still not having any problems with my service. Insight resolved my issues with the crackling telephone static, and actually, after a couple of service calls, the issues resolved itself. I think it had something to do with their network as other people with Insight Phone were having the same problem.

Internet speeds are still rock solid during peak times.

Multi-room DVR can be buggy at times, but I am not having many problems at all. I restart the control unit once a week, and that seems to resolve any issues I am having. The only issue is that from time to time, the picture can be choppy after I resume playing or FF through a program. I still find it is worth having the multi-room DVR and would suggest other people get the service if they are interested in trying it out.

My bill is still the same, about $160.00 after taxes for internet, phone and multi-room DVR with two TVs hooked up and almost any channel I could ask for.

I am still waiting to hear any news on the Time Warner Cable acquisition. Hopefully if anything changes it will be prices for the better, but only time will tell.

I still recommend Insight over any other carrier in Louisville.

1/20/2012

Bill is still 160.00 for internet, phone and cable. I'm not having any problems with the service, everything is still rock solid. I'm very pleased with Insight, and have recommended their services over anyone else in the city. I have been doing some shopping around on price to see if i can get my bill lower than 160.00, and it appears that I can, but that would be through satellite cable services that I feel are not as reliable as a hardline connection.

Overall, I am still pleased, and will wait to see what the Time Warner Merger has to offer. Word on the street is that it might be coming in March. My biggest fear would be them raising prices, but we will see what happens.

1/31/2012

I decided to drop the cable portion of my television service this weekend. I went ahead and went with DirecTV for a cheaper price. Insight decided to raise the price on my Internet and Phone bundle, but I had to pay a one time 25.00 fee for them to re-bundle the services, both of which are still slightly higher than what I was previously paying for the services. I was pretty happy with Insight cable service, but I am trying to do budget cutting and this seemed to be the most logical decision. I'll update this post after I get my bill with the two services. Hopefully, I am saving money. I did drop close to 92.00 out of my bill by making this decision, so we'll see how this pans out. Insight's customer service though this was not very good at the central office side in person, but when I called the Insight office via telephone, they were pretty friendly and willing to work with me.

5/31/12: I have recently upgraded to 20.0 internet service. My bill is around 93.00 for internet and telephone, which to me, is a little steep. I can bundle with Uverse for about 64.00 for the same services, but don't because of AT&T's terrible customer service. 20.0 service is not as promised. I constantly speed test my connection and usually hang around 7-11 megs per second. I will be notifying Insight, and if it isn't fixed, I will drop the 20.0 portion of the bill and go back to 10 megs. If they can't deliver for me paying an "upgraded internet fee", then they won't get it at all. Taxes on the telephone hurt the most. I pay about 15.00 worth of taxes just on the telephone line, which seems somewhat steep. I am going to price a landline thru AT&T, but cannot switch providers since Insight wants to charge me 61.00 for internet services if I drop my telephone portion. Either way, they get you.

8/28/12: Service is still spotty at times, but I am still somewhat pleased with performance. Telephone service is still rock solid and have not had any problems. I was price shopping at the beginning of July with AT&T and was quoted a price of 55.00 for internet and telephone service. I decided to call Insight, and they were going to rebundle me at the current rate for a 25.00 fee. I accepted and stayed where I was. I get my bill, it is still the same price, 94.00. I gave them a call this evening and was informed that the representative previously misinformed me and she informed me that I was not eligible for a discount until January. I am not happy about this as I was promised something and it was not delivered. I will be calling in January and will see what price they can give me. If they do not drop it significantly to the current promotions or something close, I will be leaving to go to AT&T. I can bundle through DirecTV and get a great deal between both providers.

12/10/12

I called today to remove the 20 meg portion of the internet since I am only getting anywhere between 6-10 megs anyway. I am a little tired of Insight only trying to act serious about problems when you talk to them about canceling. I explained to the representative that I had called several times to get the line looked at and everyone who looked at the modem diagnostics said that everything looked fine. Oh well. I am back down to just 10 meg internet. I am also looking at possibly canceling my telephone service soon if they look at increasing my rates this year. I did speak to see if they had any other type of phone plans, and the representative said she could cancel the long distance on the phone for 5.00 a month less. At this point it is worth keeping it. My bill is around 84.00 for internet and telephone with taxes included, but I keep watching the mailbox for my price increase which might be coming soon since I am at my 1-year mark. I will go back to AT&T as they quoted me 44.00 plus taxes for the same exact services.

1/13/13

Insight has managed to charge me a 3.95 lease fee for a modem that I know I paid for two years ago. I remember them splitting the cost over the bill for six months. After calling yesterday, they told me I never paid for the modem and that the lease fee will stay on the bill. I told them I wanted to purchase my own, but since I have Phone 2.0 service, the only option was keeping the modem and continuing to pay the lease and purchase my own, or just keep the one modem. Yes, it is 3.95, but I already paid for this and that cost can add up over time and it is another source of income for these companies.

I am switching to AT&T landline service and am going to keep my internet through Insight. Dropping my landline is not an option for me at this time. I am going to assume the price of my internet through Insight will jump to full price, but both bills added together (AT&T and Insight) will still result in a lower bill than I am currently paying bundled with Insight.

4/5/13: dropped Insight Phone in January and went with AT&T Landline so I could get rid of my modem fee on the account. When calling to switch the modem out to the one I purchased, their tech support asked why I was switching as I currently owned the modem. Apparently their systems and customer service don't talk very much. I told them they were unwilling to remove the fee from my account, so I just returned the modem to Insight. After getting my modem up and running, the connection has been solid. Paying for 10 megs by itself, the cost is 50.00 even. Insight/TWC has been trying to get me to come back to TV and telephone. Starting to hear some chatter with regard to TWC name change happening in June. Not sure what it will bring at this point, but we will see.

Internet connection is solid, nothing to complain about. Currently have DirecTV and AT&T Landline for home phone.

7/25/2013

The purchase of Insight is now complete. Time Warner has taken over. Almost immediately, I started receiving a 4.95 charge for Home Wifi on my internet bill. When calling Time Warner, they stated that there is no way to remove this charge on my account. They said because I use my apple wifi device, they will continue to charge my account the fee. It is not about being able to afford the fee, it is about how they feel they can charge this as fees here and there add up over the course of a year for something that should be a standard for customers. Either way, I more than likely will find a new carrier at the end of the year.

The hold times to get through to ask questions about your bill are worse than Insight. It takes 15 to 20 minutes to finally get through, and when you do, the representatives act as if they do not care. I'll see how things go for the next few months.

Internet speeds are about the same. I have had numerous outages since Time Warner took over in June, but they have not lasted long. It is still too early to see how things will go with Time Warner.

Comments:

Review by jgegner See Profile

• Location: Bowling Green,Warren,KY
Good "Solid, dependable service"
Bad "Still somewhat pricey, but cheaper than it used to be"
Overall "If you're considering DSL, get this instead"

I signed up for Insight Broadband in mid-January '06 when it was 4/384, under their offer of $30/mo., with that price guaranteed for one year. My local Insight office still offers this deal because it's so popular. Insight now calls their product Broadband 10.0, since the download speed was increased to 10Mbps in October, 2006, with an upload speed of 1Mbps.

I had considered getting DSL service from BellSouth (now owned by AT&T), but they simply didn't offer the speed I wanted at the price I wanted.

The ordering process was pretty smooth, and it took about five days from the time I placed my order to when the Insight technician arrived at my home to do the installation. The cable modem I have is the RCA DCM425.

I installed an Ethernet card in my computer, plugged the modem into the computer, turned the computer on, and plugged the modem's power cord into an available outlet on my surge protector. As I was going through the registration process using the QIC Assistant software (Insight no longer uses this for broadband registrations), I encountered a problem: the modem would not boot up.

I tried everything that was suggested and nothing worked. What would happen is that all of the indicator lights would flash briefly, and then I would get only one blinking light. I even disconnected the Ethernet connection and hooked the modem up to my computer using the USB connection, and that didn't work either.

I called my local Insight office, and told the service rep what my problem was and he told me to give him the MAC address of the modem, and still nothing worked. About a week later, I woke up one morning and found the modem was fully working (how this happened, I don't know). I then went to complete the unfinished registration process, and to my dismay, the QIC software would not allow me to set up an insightbb.com e-mail account. I've since gotten a free Hotmail account so I can have e-mail access.

For the most part, the service does work as advertised, but depending upon the time of day, the amount of network traffic, etc., download speeds can slow to a crawl. Overall, though, I'm happy with it.

UPDATE 2/8/2008: I just read earlier today here on DSL Reports that Insight is now offering a new speed tier across their entire Kentucky/Indiana footprint with download speeds of up to 20Mbps, and upload speeds of up to 1.5Mbps for an additional $20 per month. However, this new speed tier will initially be made available to Insight Broadband customers on a first-come, first-served basis.

IMO, while I believe that the additional speed tier offering is a great idea, I don't think that it's worth paying an additional $20/month just to get a 10Mbps increase in speed. I'm paying enough already just for 10Mbps service. If Insight offered this new speed tier for just $10 more per month, I would consider getting it. What Insight should have done is offered existing Broadband 10.0 customers the option of upgrading to the new tier for little or no cost, instead of their usual practice to nickel and dime customers every time they offer a new product or service.

Just my two cents.

UPDATE 2/13/2011: I went ahead and placed my order for one of Insight's Mini Boxes today in preparation for their conversion to all-digital service here in Bowling Green. It should arrive hopefully sometime this week. I placed the order for the Mini Box through the »www.610upgrade.com website.

UPDATE 2/20/2011: I received my Mini Box yesterday in the mail. I went to hook it up, only to discover that it won't activate. I had to call my local Insight office to activate it (the automated activation service didn't work for me). The representative I spoke to at Insight sent the activation signal, but the box never activated. I have gone back to my old setup so I can watch TV. I am going to try to hook the box back up on Monday morning and see what happens.

UPDATE 2/27/2011: As stated in the last update, I hooked the Mini Box back up to my TV. It still wouldn't work, so after going nearly a week without being able to watch any TV at all, I called Insight again. They re-sent the activation signal, and I am happy to report that the Mini Box now is fully operational. I can now watch TV again.

One other thing that I haven't mentioned in any of the previous updates is that I have gotten a new cable modem for my Internet service. As I stated in my original review, Insight originally gave me the RCA DCM425 cable modem to use with their Internet service. It failed last September, so after going almost two weeks with no Internet, I called Insight, and they ended up giving a brand new modem, which is the Arris CM550 model. So far, everything seems to work just fine.

UPDATE 5/19/2013: As of this writing, there are approximately three weeks remaining before the transition to Time Warner Cable service, which is scheduled to begin on June 10, 2013. TWC bought our current cable TV provider, Insight Communications, in October, 2011. This means that when the transition is completed, Insight will cease to exist.

Comments:

Review by hardhead See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "Not much"
Bad "USENET throttle; overpriced; no longer reliable"
Overall "Let's find a way to break this monopoly"

For 5 solid years of Insight, not more than one or two momentary losses of service. TWC comes in, and before they can send out their first bill, they lay a 5 hour 15 minute outage.

That may work for you folks, but I'm paying 8% of my monthly income for an Internet connection, and that's what I expect to get. But, as might have been expected, TWC is interested only in making money - doesn't matter how: Selling bombs, bobbi pins, haircuts, dead animals, you name it. No pride or even interest in doing what they are supposedly in business for.

And they'll keep getting away with it, because, in the land of the "free" and the home of the "brave", all the lazy, ignorant, spineless sheeple will put up with it, because there's no alternative. Ain't capitalism grand?

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Seriously?

Your poor review is based on one five hour outage? Grow up.

Review by doechsli See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "speed is consistent and rarely down"
Bad "A little pricey and Time Warner is coming....."
Overall "Besides AT&T which already failed me it's the only game in town....."

Had to drop my old ISP which was using AT&T copper as the copper wires are SO old they could not support 1.5 DSL consistently. Insight has been ok and the service works without any drama. In over a year I have had no significant outages. Time Warner has purchased Insight so I fear the devil is in the door.......

Comments:

Review by cbohl51 See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "90% Good Service, fastest service available"
Bad "Prices keep going up, when issues happen, takes a long time to resolve"
Overall "It beats DSL, but there is a lot of room for improvement."

I've been with Insight since 2006. Over the past 6 years, I've been pleased with the services. However, when issues do arise, it seems that they take months to resolve. It seems about once every other year I'm plagued with slow speeds, or drops in connectivity. The problems ends up on Insight's side, and I'm at their mercy until it gets resolved. I'm work in IT, and often need to work from home at moment's notice when systems are down. Having slow speeds / no connectivity means I'm driving to work to resolve the issue, which defeats the purpose having internet at home.

Also, was previously paying $50 for 20 meg service, now the bill is somehow $68 without any sort of notice prior to the raise in prices.

Overall, this beats DSL service in the area, but there is plenty of room for improvement from the company as a whole. Lets just say if a new company came to town with lower prices and higher speed, there wouldn't be much thought into switching!