Insight Communications page on DSLReports

Review by TDOG See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "Both services ( TV (classic,boxless)and internet(15/1) are reliable."
Bad "Too expensive"
Overall "It's this or AT&T"

·Insight Communic..
Aug 2, 2013: Nothing has changed...Internet connection still very reliable. TV still too expensive. I watch 25% of the channels I'm paying for, The rest are crap! And as I have said before, TWC and ATT have a lock on Louisville KY.

March 9,2013

They raised my classic tv and 15/1 internet , but at least I am not paying the $5.99/ mo. modem rental fee. My total monthly bill is still about 20 dollars less . I didn't use the phone any way.

Jan. 3 2013:

Had Insight phone disconnected yesterday. I also turned in my Arris modem because I bought a new Motorola SB 6121 Modem. I will update again next month after I get my bill . This modem actually gave me a slight increase in upload speed. Stay tuned

Dec. 5,2012

Time Warner Acquisition is about complete.

My 10/1 internet connection was automatically upgraded to 15/1

TV,Phone and Internet connection solid.

I guess we will stay with TWC unless something better comes along.

TDOG

Comments:

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

Well.....

When Phone is in the mix Insight seems alot more willing to deal vs if you have just tv and internet.

Review by smashcraft See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "Speed (during off peak times)"
Bad "Declining customer service since Time Warner took over"
Overall "Somewhat reliable connection, slow speeds in evening and weekends"

·AT&T Southeast
Switched from AT&T UVerse...price was getting too high and I found myself having to call every month to fix my uverse bill. I went with Multi-Room DVR Digital Cable, Insight Phone and 10meg internet. Connection is rock solid, even during peak internet times (8-1am). With Uverse, I had a lot of feedback and static on the telephone (voip) line. With Insight, no feedback, crystal clear connection. Seems to have a lot more telephone features than with Uverse Voip. Multi-Room DVR works great...no problems as of yet.

Originally I was going to do the Internet and Phone through Insight for 43.00, but the tech said he was unable to install it with Uverse Cable running to the house as they were using the coax cable lines. Opted to go ahead with the Multi-Room DVR....so far it was a good choice.

Equipment includes a ARRIS Touchstone Cable/Voip modem and Pace Digital DVRs.

Install went off without any hitches. Only thing that confused me was that the installer cut the main underground AT&T (Bellsouth) line that was coming in to the NID. I doubt that I ever will, but if I have to go back to AT&T, they will have to re-run and bury a new drop. Insight did have to run a new drop as the previous cable line was dead.

All-in-all, I am happy with all services and the install at this time. Will be updating in the future.

6/23/2011

Service is still working great. Only issue I am having is that during Tornado Warnings or other storm related warnings, the DVR will freeze, read EAS, but no message will come up. It does take away your regular programming (i/e when you are watching the weather during the severe storms), but the DVR does come back up in a few minutes. During the Tornados last night, all three services stayed rock solid. I did not experience any outages or loss of telephone, tv or internet.

9/24/2011

Service is still rock solid. I am having a small issue with my Insight Phone. It is crackling in the background some, only when I call other people, not on inbound calls. I think I have isolated the problem to the equipment and not my inside wiring. A technician is coming out next week to take a look at the issue. Outside of that, all other services are working great. I'm still pretty pleased with switching from Uverse, though, I am a little worried about the acquisition from Time Warner Cable. I've heard mixed reviews on the company, so only time will tell. Only other small issue is sometimes the Multi Room DVR is somewhat buggy, but it is nothing I cannot live with.

11/23/2011

Still not having any problems with my service. Insight resolved my issues with the crackling telephone static, and actually, after a couple of service calls, the issues resolved itself. I think it had something to do with their network as other people with Insight Phone were having the same problem.

Internet speeds are still rock solid during peak times.

Multi-room DVR can be buggy at times, but I am not having many problems at all. I restart the control unit once a week, and that seems to resolve any issues I am having. The only issue is that from time to time, the picture can be choppy after I resume playing or FF through a program. I still find it is worth having the multi-room DVR and would suggest other people get the service if they are interested in trying it out.

My bill is still the same, about $160.00 after taxes for internet, phone and multi-room DVR with two TVs hooked up and almost any channel I could ask for.

I am still waiting to hear any news on the Time Warner Cable acquisition. Hopefully if anything changes it will be prices for the better, but only time will tell.

I still recommend Insight over any other carrier in Louisville.

1/20/2012

Bill is still 160.00 for internet, phone and cable. I'm not having any problems with the service, everything is still rock solid. I'm very pleased with Insight, and have recommended their services over anyone else in the city. I have been doing some shopping around on price to see if i can get my bill lower than 160.00, and it appears that I can, but that would be through satellite cable services that I feel are not as reliable as a hardline connection.

Overall, I am still pleased, and will wait to see what the Time Warner Merger has to offer. Word on the street is that it might be coming in March. My biggest fear would be them raising prices, but we will see what happens.

1/31/2012

I decided to drop the cable portion of my television service this weekend. I went ahead and went with DirecTV for a cheaper price. Insight decided to raise the price on my Internet and Phone bundle, but I had to pay a one time 25.00 fee for them to re-bundle the services, both of which are still slightly higher than what I was previously paying for the services. I was pretty happy with Insight cable service, but I am trying to do budget cutting and this seemed to be the most logical decision. I'll update this post after I get my bill with the two services. Hopefully, I am saving money. I did drop close to 92.00 out of my bill by making this decision, so we'll see how this pans out. Insight's customer service though this was not very good at the central office side in person, but when I called the Insight office via telephone, they were pretty friendly and willing to work with me.

5/31/12: I have recently upgraded to 20.0 internet service. My bill is around 93.00 for internet and telephone, which to me, is a little steep. I can bundle with Uverse for about 64.00 for the same services, but don't because of AT&T's terrible customer service. 20.0 service is not as promised. I constantly speed test my connection and usually hang around 7-11 megs per second. I will be notifying Insight, and if it isn't fixed, I will drop the 20.0 portion of the bill and go back to 10 megs. If they can't deliver for me paying an "upgraded internet fee", then they won't get it at all. Taxes on the telephone hurt the most. I pay about 15.00 worth of taxes just on the telephone line, which seems somewhat steep. I am going to price a landline thru AT&T, but cannot switch providers since Insight wants to charge me 61.00 for internet services if I drop my telephone portion. Either way, they get you.

8/28/12: Service is still spotty at times, but I am still somewhat pleased with performance. Telephone service is still rock solid and have not had any problems. I was price shopping at the beginning of July with AT&T and was quoted a price of 55.00 for internet and telephone service. I decided to call Insight, and they were going to rebundle me at the current rate for a 25.00 fee. I accepted and stayed where I was. I get my bill, it is still the same price, 94.00. I gave them a call this evening and was informed that the representative previously misinformed me and she informed me that I was not eligible for a discount until January. I am not happy about this as I was promised something and it was not delivered. I will be calling in January and will see what price they can give me. If they do not drop it significantly to the current promotions or something close, I will be leaving to go to AT&T. I can bundle through DirecTV and get a great deal between both providers.

12/10/12

I called today to remove the 20 meg portion of the internet since I am only getting anywhere between 6-10 megs anyway. I am a little tired of Insight only trying to act serious about problems when you talk to them about canceling. I explained to the representative that I had called several times to get the line looked at and everyone who looked at the modem diagnostics said that everything looked fine. Oh well. I am back down to just 10 meg internet. I am also looking at possibly canceling my telephone service soon if they look at increasing my rates this year. I did speak to see if they had any other type of phone plans, and the representative said she could cancel the long distance on the phone for 5.00 a month less. At this point it is worth keeping it. My bill is around 84.00 for internet and telephone with taxes included, but I keep watching the mailbox for my price increase which might be coming soon since I am at my 1-year mark. I will go back to AT&T as they quoted me 44.00 plus taxes for the same exact services.

1/13/13

Insight has managed to charge me a 3.95 lease fee for a modem that I know I paid for two years ago. I remember them splitting the cost over the bill for six months. After calling yesterday, they told me I never paid for the modem and that the lease fee will stay on the bill. I told them I wanted to purchase my own, but since I have Phone 2.0 service, the only option was keeping the modem and continuing to pay the lease and purchase my own, or just keep the one modem. Yes, it is 3.95, but I already paid for this and that cost can add up over time and it is another source of income for these companies.

I am switching to AT&T landline service and am going to keep my internet through Insight. Dropping my landline is not an option for me at this time. I am going to assume the price of my internet through Insight will jump to full price, but both bills added together (AT&T and Insight) will still result in a lower bill than I am currently paying bundled with Insight.

4/5/13: dropped Insight Phone in January and went with AT&T Landline so I could get rid of my modem fee on the account. When calling to switch the modem out to the one I purchased, their tech support asked why I was switching as I currently owned the modem. Apparently their systems and customer service don't talk very much. I told them they were unwilling to remove the fee from my account, so I just returned the modem to Insight. After getting my modem up and running, the connection has been solid. Paying for 10 megs by itself, the cost is 50.00 even. Insight/TWC has been trying to get me to come back to TV and telephone. Starting to hear some chatter with regard to TWC name change happening in June. Not sure what it will bring at this point, but we will see.

Internet connection is solid, nothing to complain about. Currently have DirecTV and AT&T Landline for home phone.

7/25/2013

The purchase of Insight is now complete. Time Warner has taken over. Almost immediately, I started receiving a 4.95 charge for Home Wifi on my internet bill. When calling Time Warner, they stated that there is no way to remove this charge on my account. They said because I use my apple wifi device, they will continue to charge my account the fee. It is not about being able to afford the fee, it is about how they feel they can charge this as fees here and there add up over the course of a year for something that should be a standard for customers. Either way, I more than likely will find a new carrier at the end of the year.

The hold times to get through to ask questions about your bill are worse than Insight. It takes 15 to 20 minutes to finally get through, and when you do, the representatives act as if they do not care. I'll see how things go for the next few months.

Internet speeds are about the same. I have had numerous outages since Time Warner took over in June, but they have not lasted long. It is still too early to see how things will go with Time Warner.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Rugged

@insightbb.com

Going to miss Insight!

It's a real shame insight is selling out to Time Warner.
I love the service I have received from Insight.
My internet is always on and the customer service is fantastic.
From the reviews I have read about Time Warner's RoadRunner service, they appear to be less than excellent.
In particular, Time Warner customer service seems to be useless.
Insight's reward for doing everything right is to be bought by a "discount" company without the discount price.
It will be like Wal*Mart without the cheap price. This really stinks.
I am going to enjoy my always-on internet and excellent customer service (which I never need) while it lasts because it's going to end once Time Warner takes over.
tasmithe

join:2002-09-16
Graham, NC

Re: Going to miss Insight!

I'm on TWC and RR and have had GREAT service. Customer service when I've called (which has been a few times) were extremely helpful. So all the bad reviews of TWC are not all that they appear. I guess it depends on where you are.

Review by hardhead See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "Not much"
Bad "USENET throttle; overpriced; no longer reliable"
Overall "Let's find a way to break this monopoly"

For 5 solid years of Insight, not more than one or two momentary losses of service. TWC comes in, and before they can send out their first bill, they lay a 5 hour 15 minute outage.

That may work for you folks, but I'm paying 8% of my monthly income for an Internet connection, and that's what I expect to get. But, as might have been expected, TWC is interested only in making money - doesn't matter how: Selling bombs, bobbi pins, haircuts, dead animals, you name it. No pride or even interest in doing what they are supposedly in business for.

And they'll keep getting away with it, because, in the land of the "free" and the home of the "brave", all the lazy, ignorant, spineless sheeple will put up with it, because there's no alternative. Ain't capitalism grand?

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Seriously?

Your poor review is based on one five hour outage? Grow up.

Review by Matt_31 See Profile

• Location: Jasper,Dubois,IN
Good "When it works .. it works good"
Bad "Poor tech Support on phone, need local office people again."
Overall "Service needs overhauled my area."

I knew i was moving and planned to setup service they were there ontime and the tech guy was great. The people over the phone locally were excellent. Ran into a snag and needed real help from the techs in evansville and they were ether burned out from the same questions or didnt want to help. After weeks and weeks of tweaking and new modem I finally discovered the error was my Regal Splitter/Filter. Now things are up to pare and im very happy. I highly recommend this compare to the satellite service I had prior. For 39.99 and 4Mb im prob going to go to plus service due to the extra speed i might get at 6Mb.

8-1-05

Service has been real poor for the last 8 months with speeds less then half of advertised, service has also dropped alot. Almost worse then my satellite connection was and that alone is scary.

4-12-06

Service is still poor and dropouts still there have been told its locally and theres no plans at the moment to redo things. Also we dont want to even get into the cable boxes. Lets just say .. im real close to going back to satellite for TV. If DSL becomes here soon. I think ill also head that way.

9-16-06

After having a small chat with the CEO of insight with him contacting me, The ball got rolling and things now are running like they should have im on day 3 now and service is running at or even at times over what is advertised. Yes its sad the CEO had to contact me but his care and will has changed my mind about a company I felt was a lost cause. With what Mike (the CEO) is doing I feel one day will make Insight a company that is going to be great and while it may not have the extra kick its reliability in the future I hope will be as strong as Mike's will has been.

12-15-08

Service has now been Excellent for sometime, due to this we upgraded when they were testing the 20.0 and while it had some bugs back then it has been great for sometime now and I would recommend it to anyone whos got more then one computer or whos more of a power user. Mike our CEO has done a great job of bring service and information to us people through the site here at DSL reports and through his personal blog. (we now spend $145 a month on service with internet and cable)

2-18-11

They have finally given us upgrades now to 30 and 50 for a little while. Ive been on the 20 Since it started and have gotten mixed reviews on going to 50. They are telling us the 30 requires a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem however the modem I have DOCSIS 2.0 for 20 goes to 38. They say they will provide us with the modem. I found out its a Thomson... haaa .. like ill go through what i did before with that brand. Time for a new otta pocket expense for a motorola surfboard.

11-22-12

Things have been ok with Internet, the TV as of late has been the issue. We recently had to replace one of the HD boxes, as it caused MAJOR problems. We still have some small issues but really its ok. We've had phone service now for over a year and I would rate it as Fair. If I didn't have a cell phone I would be stick with Land line as Insights Phone goes down a lot where we are. I would say we have lost phone service about 20 times in the last 6 months. I Would say Vonage is much better phone service. Also beware Insight publishes your info to the public where other services don't. I had to find out the hard way. What's nice about Vonage if service is down with insight, calls will go to voicemail. I can also keep track of ALL calls on Vonage. So phone service im going to give a 2.5 out of 5 stars.

1-7-13

The end of 2012 and early 2013 is really turning into a bad news for insight. I have begun looking into Direct TV again. The issue I have to work on is Internet while we have TV in our apartment. Today our cable was shut off for a mistake they made for problems we are having from them. I have had enough. Ive tried to be positive and tried to write postitive when things have been good and made issue of when things are bad. I have been a fare viewer but with service getting more and more spotty and shutting down. I have much better things to do with my time. I should not have to pay for failure of service and problems. I hope you look for others before insight and get lots of peoples views and see it its right for you. Your area it maybe great service it has not as you can read my posts and reviews over time.

Comments:

Review by balazone See Profile

• Location: Lewis Center,Delaware,OH
Good "Decent internet uptime"
Bad "Crappy phone service, low internet speeds"
Overall "Since it's all I can get I'm stuck with it."

Insight uses Time Warner to provide internet service for them so while you pay an Insight bill and get Insight TV service it is Time Warner internet and so its nothing special. Stuck at low speeds of 10mbits really hurt. I want to go back to Comcast but I would have to move!

Comments:

Review by Slight_Leak See Profile

• Location: Jasper,Dubois,IN
Good "It usually works very well."
Bad "When it does not work, it can take a week to get tech here."
Overall "Best for the money in this area, but would move to fiber in a heartbeat if I could."

I have more than a few problems in the 3 years here. The tech says our signal was really hot. I had connectivity issues, so I requested a straight line from the box on the house, instead of going through 2 splitters from my living room. On one call they gave me a new modem, I tried the phone service, but the voicemail system was not very good, and they replace your modem with an all-in-one with a battery backup inside. (which makes it hard to cycle you modem when you have problems.) I can test using the insight speed test and it always says i'm getting 20 meg, but testing here i'm only getting about 10 right now.

If you need a tech to come out you have to be home, my last appointment they said "tuesday 12-4pm and the tech showed up at 3:55 so I had to miss a half day of work. He said my signal strength was too high and turned it down on the pole... I will post my modem info later.

Comments:
Slight_Leak

join:2001-02-24
Jasper, IN
·Insight Communic..

RCA Thomson DCM425

RCA Thomson DCM425 diagnostics
event log
My modem - don't know what it means.
Slight_Leak

join:2001-02-24
Jasper, IN

Re: RCA Thomson DCM425

does anyone know if this is okay?

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Bad "Customer service, product"
Overall "Switching when next move."

Customer service made me real mad half the time when I talk to them. Will
be switching services next time I move. Here is a helpful hint: Repeating
yourself over and over again will just make the customer really mad! Just
say you are really sorry and there is nothing you can do or get me to the
right person! I am generally a calm and collected person but today I was
put into a bit of a rage.
Then to boot we never get the speed they promise us! Its to slow half the
time!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by cdrslan See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "Install 4 years ago was great."
Bad "The companies customer service is very poor. The service cost was too high for their "20.0" service."
Overall "If you dont care to pay to much for crappy service 3 outa 5."

I had the cable modem service at their 20 meg plan for a little over 4 years. The price point was too high for the service. In general the service was dependable. The customer support and service was rude and uneducated. I did have a great installer on day one. Relationship soured after.

member for 2 years, 0 visits, last login: 2 years ago

Comments:

Review by elhafyani4 See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "fast internet, no contract"
Bad "customer service, pricing"
Overall "bad customer service, so I won't advise, I will pay more to get treated right ."

anyway , Customer service sucks at Insight , I talked to them trying to upgrade, the lady on the phone was so rude, I was just trying to see if they have any sort of deal , so I asked the customer representative , she was rude about it replying "that's what we have sir" , do you want to sign up or no , and she is like want to wrap up the conversation , oh my god ,I haven't even finish the conversation , rudest customer service I have ever met .

it was a bad experience that i really not looking forward to it to happen. I hope they will be able to hire some friendly people , not angry people that arent interested in talking on the phone .

member for 2 years, 0 visits, last login: 2 years ago

Comments:

Paintera1

@insightbb.com

Bad encounter

I'm fairly certain that I spoke to that same woman ... rude doesn't come close to describing this witch. I only wish that I would've gotten her name so that I could report the incident to their PR dept

Review by aciddrink See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "Some areas of Lexington are reliable"
Bad "They won't initiate maintenance ticket unless numerous people complain"
Overall "There's a lot of 'red tape'. Techs often see the issue, but cant fix it because it's not their job"

UPDATED --- JUNE 5, 2012.

Ok, back to the original problem. Between the months of December and March, I had a total of 12 technicians come out to my house. The first 4 techs lied and claimed they 'fixed' the problems I was having. Finally, tech 5 came out and recognized a problem. He was annoyed that I was being pushed around, and did all he could do to help. It wasn't until 7 more techs (a total of 12) coming to my house that the problem was fixed.

Eventually after 4 months of of hassle and headaches, a manager for Insight called me and said he noticed my account had an unusually high volume of trouble calls. He asked me for the specifics of what was going on, then told me he would investigate and call me back. As it turned out, one of the engineers knew that the node for my neighborhood was *double* capacity, but kept sweeping it under the rug so he wouldn't have to put forth the effort of fixing it. The manager told me the problem will be fixed that night, and it was. I was also refunded the previous 4 months for all my hassle.

From March until April, my internet was perfect. Near the beginning of April, my internet started having the same exact problems as before (Detailed in the original review at the bottom). It is now June, and I have called many more times and had several more technicians out here to no avail. Each tech that comes out here says they clearly see an issue, but cannot fix it. I have to call every single week and have a new technician come out here until the right manager notices my 'unusually high volume of tickets' and gets my internet fixed.

I might add...during prime time hours, my internet slows down to make online gaming and streaming video impossible. During these hours, packet loss is consistently above 2% at all times.

------------------------BELOW IS THE OLD REVIEW------------------------

I live in south Lexington area. At my previous residence, I had insight for over a year with no issues at all. In December I moved to a new residence not far away from the original, and my connection began to suffer.

My connection problems began with slow download speeds and high ping rates, but only during prime time hours (between 6pm and midnight). As time goes on, it has been getting progressively worse, now I get slow speeds intermittently between the hours of 8am and 2am the next day. If I get on before work at 6am, the connection is usually stable enough to watch a YouTube video or something along those lines. PC gaming and Netflix is still out of the question though.

I have called customer service countless times about the issue. Most of the time I talk to somebody that is fairly uneducated about technology and runs me through the canned checklist (reset modem, unhook router, etc etc). Once I do all these, I inform them that my speeds are still slow, in which case they tell me that the signal to the modem is good so they cannot see why there would be an issue. Since December, 5 technicians have been out to my apartment, 4 of them walked around outside then came back in and said they 'fixed' the problem but never told me what it was.

Finally the 5th tech spent over 2 hours here testing various things, replacing modems, etc. This tech saw first hand the speed and connection problems, and told me it *has* to be something on Insight's side, but that a ticket cannot be escalated to higher tier maintenance unless I go door to door and convince my elderly neighbors to call and complain all on the same day. The tech was actually quite helpful, and tried to make phone calls to get the ticket escalated himself, but he ran into red tape and restrictions.

Furthermore (and fairly unrelated), he informed me that one of the main hubs in Lexington (on Richmond Rd) was mistakenly installed in an area that floods during winter months. As a result during the winter, excessive amounts of traffic must be routed through the other hubs, it is only in the summer months that the bad hub can be utilized.

Long story short, Insight is doing a very bad job in Lexington right now. I wonder if it has any relation to Time Warner Cable's announcement to buy them out. Lets hope when TWC comes in, they fix all the damage.

Below are a few speed tests I've taken over the past 2 days at different servers around me:

Comments:
ubelong2matt

join:2004-10-01

Informative Review

I have an unfounded loathing for KY and this seals the deal. I will refuse to go to this state ever as a result of this review. KY, you just lost yourself a customer!