Insight Communications page on DSLReports

Review by itch See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "service is good for the money, but i do not know what to expect with Time warner in the near future"
Bad "none for the past 3 years."
Overall "great value for the money. DVR is better then using VCR tapes for recording shows for my wife."

Insight has been great to have for cable service. Better then most cable companies in the nation. Their website is user friendly. Have 4 televisions hooked up to service and great reception on all. Had snowy pictures a few years ago but was rewired on the outside of house and great picture now. ( The house was 1st to have service 30 years ago.)

Internet speed is great for doing work at home.

Now have Time Warner Cable, not as good as Insight was.

Internet speed is faster. The cost of the cable boxes and DVR service is higher then Insight. we did not have to pay for DVR service with Insight.

customer service is hard to talk to a person when you call it.

member for 6 years, 1664 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jgegner See Profile

• Location: Bowling Green,Warren,KY
Good "Solid, dependable service"
Bad "Still somewhat pricey, but cheaper than it used to be"
Overall "If you're considering DSL, get this instead"

I signed up for Insight Broadband in mid-January '06 when it was 4/384, under their offer of $30/mo., with that price guaranteed for one year. My local Insight office still offers this deal because it's so popular. Insight now calls their product Broadband 10.0, since the download speed was increased to 10Mbps in October, 2006, with an upload speed of 1Mbps.

I had considered getting DSL service from BellSouth (now owned by AT&T), but they simply didn't offer the speed I wanted at the price I wanted.

The ordering process was pretty smooth, and it took about five days from the time I placed my order to when the Insight technician arrived at my home to do the installation. The cable modem I have is the RCA DCM425.

I installed an Ethernet card in my computer, plugged the modem into the computer, turned the computer on, and plugged the modem's power cord into an available outlet on my surge protector. As I was going through the registration process using the QIC Assistant software (Insight no longer uses this for broadband registrations), I encountered a problem: the modem would not boot up.

I tried everything that was suggested and nothing worked. What would happen is that all of the indicator lights would flash briefly, and then I would get only one blinking light. I even disconnected the Ethernet connection and hooked the modem up to my computer using the USB connection, and that didn't work either.

I called my local Insight office, and told the service rep what my problem was and he told me to give him the MAC address of the modem, and still nothing worked. About a week later, I woke up one morning and found the modem was fully working (how this happened, I don't know). I then went to complete the unfinished registration process, and to my dismay, the QIC software would not allow me to set up an insightbb.com e-mail account. I've since gotten a free Hotmail account so I can have e-mail access.

For the most part, the service does work as advertised, but depending upon the time of day, the amount of network traffic, etc., download speeds can slow to a crawl. Overall, though, I'm happy with it.

UPDATE 2/8/2008: I just read earlier today here on DSL Reports that Insight is now offering a new speed tier across their entire Kentucky/Indiana footprint with download speeds of up to 20Mbps, and upload speeds of up to 1.5Mbps for an additional $20 per month. However, this new speed tier will initially be made available to Insight Broadband customers on a first-come, first-served basis.

IMO, while I believe that the additional speed tier offering is a great idea, I don't think that it's worth paying an additional $20/month just to get a 10Mbps increase in speed. I'm paying enough already just for 10Mbps service. If Insight offered this new speed tier for just $10 more per month, I would consider getting it. What Insight should have done is offered existing Broadband 10.0 customers the option of upgrading to the new tier for little or no cost, instead of their usual practice to nickel and dime customers every time they offer a new product or service.

Just my two cents.

UPDATE 2/13/2011: I went ahead and placed my order for one of Insight's Mini Boxes today in preparation for their conversion to all-digital service here in Bowling Green. It should arrive hopefully sometime this week. I placed the order for the Mini Box through the »www.610upgrade.com website.

UPDATE 2/20/2011: I received my Mini Box yesterday in the mail. I went to hook it up, only to discover that it won't activate. I had to call my local Insight office to activate it (the automated activation service didn't work for me). The representative I spoke to at Insight sent the activation signal, but the box never activated. I have gone back to my old setup so I can watch TV. I am going to try to hook the box back up on Monday morning and see what happens.

UPDATE 2/27/2011: As stated in the last update, I hooked the Mini Box back up to my TV. It still wouldn't work, so after going nearly a week without being able to watch any TV at all, I called Insight again. They re-sent the activation signal, and I am happy to report that the Mini Box now is fully operational. I can now watch TV again.

One other thing that I haven't mentioned in any of the previous updates is that I have gotten a new cable modem for my Internet service. As I stated in my original review, Insight originally gave me the RCA DCM425 cable modem to use with their Internet service. It failed last September, so after going almost two weeks with no Internet, I called Insight, and they ended up giving a brand new modem, which is the Arris CM550 model. So far, everything seems to work just fine.

UPDATE 5/19/2013: As of this writing, there are approximately three weeks remaining before the transition to Time Warner Cable service, which is scheduled to begin on June 10, 2013. TWC bought our current cable TV provider, Insight Communications, in October, 2011. This means that when the transition is completed, Insight will cease to exist.

Comments:

Review by sanctuary See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "Good installation, Tech knew what he was doing. (25Mbps Down 1Mbps Up) Turbo RR"
Bad "nothing right now"

Upgraded from 10Mbps Down 512Kbps Up. Very happy thus far. Have gotten speeds up to 40Mbps down, as usual depends on the time of day. Tech was personable. Didn't check any other options because I'm not interested in dsl, or satellite. Just have RR cable no TV or phone.

Comments:

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

Hey

Where in Columbus are you at that you get close to 40 in Insight/RR Turbo? The best I get is upper 20's, almost 30 near Blendon Woods.

Review by AWingfield1 See Profile

• Location: La Grange,Oldham,KY
Good "Super fast internet, good customer service"
Bad "Bogus installation fees"
Overall "You can't beat their internet"

I had cable and internet installed at my house. When I signed up, they said they were waiving some fees. Don't buy it. Asked specifically what "fees" you will be charged because they charge for everything. They charged me $30 to activate the internet. $25 to connect the cable modem and then $30 to "activate" the outlet the outlet the cable modem was connected to. Then there was a $25 fee to "activate" my DVR box. They waived the "outlet activation fee" for that box. What's funny is that every outlet is activated as soon as they connect your house to the cable line. But if you have them connect the cable to the TV, cable box, or modem, they charge you $30 each. Don't ask the techs how much it is because they have no idea.

Overall though the service is good. Internet is super fast. A lot faster than you can get with DSL. I think the $16 charge for HD DVR box is ridiculous and there's no option to purchase it. It can be a little buggy too. A standard def box is $8. You pretty much have to have one if you want any of the hi-def channels besides your local broadcast stations. You can't get any of the movie channels without a box either.

Also, if you call customer service for anything, they will try to sell you on phone service. They will also send you letters about it as well. I've even had a sales rep come to my door to try to sell me on it. It doesn't matter what you say either, they've got a answer for everything. Besides this though, they are very helpful and courteous.

Update 3/27/11: They raised rates across the board so I dropped down to basic cable. The CSR said that would make the price of my DVR box go up (I was paying $10 as a special, now it's $16-regular price). She offered me their economy package for $20 which included Showtime. So I dropped from classic to basic service and gained Showtime, saving me $20 on what I used to pay or $30 under the new rates. I still have all the same On Demand content even though I can't watch some of the channels in real-time. I only had the internet go out once since I've had it and they couldn't fix it over the phone so they were going to send a tech out the next day (it was the afternoon when it happened). It came back on by its own and haven't had a problem since. I have the 10.0 service and manage to get 10.5 Mbps on download and 1.1 on upload most of the time.

Comments:

Review by kdoggmdf See Profile

• Location: Westerville,Franklin,OH
Good "Insight is always upgrading their HD channels and software; recently released MultiRoom DVR"
Bad "Top HSD tier is still RR Turbo (15mbps/768k) even though TWC in Columbus is DOCSIS 3 now; MRDVR is buggy and glitches out."
Overall "One of the best HD lineups in town, good internet speed, rock-solid stability, good price for the service level"

I've been with Insight Communications since November of 2005 and I must say that their service has been rock-solid with me. I have the Digital Choice Package with 2 HD-DVRS (a DCH-6416 and a DCT-6412) as well as Road Runner Turbo (15mbps/512kbps) and an RCA/Thompson Modem.

The Cable Service
Since the Digital 4.0 update, I'm in love with their HD package. They have more HD channels than Time Warner and Wide Open West, although most of the time you can't get Time Warner in the areas where Insight is in this market (Columbus, OH). Their service has been solid since I got it, never having any outages that I can remember and never having any issues. The only thing that has started to bug me since the digital 4.0 update is the fact that my HDDVRs seem a lot slower now and when I try and schedule a recording that falls on multiple days and time slots, the box will reboot itself. It often reboots itself also when I try and do too many things to fast (ie: load the dvr list and scroll through it, then access On-Demand and then switch back to a regular channel). It would be nice if Insight got the new iGuide software when it comes out, the stuff they use is quite out-dated right now, but it will suffice for sure. As for On-Demand, they have a plethora of OD content, all nicely nested in one OD window. This is one feature that they stomp their competition in. They have considerably more on-demand (both free and pay) available on their system than any of their competitors do. (And I've done comparisons with TWC, WOW, and U-Verse and this fact holds true.) I do hope that they add more HD on Demand, but Im sure that will come with time.

The Road Runner
I have the Road Runner Turbo package (15mbps/512kps) and I have to say that it has been rock solid since I got it. Haven't really noticed any slow downs in service since I had it, even during peak usage, which is a good testament to Insight and the fact that they didn't oversell the node I'm on. The one gripe I have with RR (as most with Turbo do have) is the fact that the upload speed is so low in comparison to the download. I would hope that being in a market with such competition as Wide Open West with a 15mbps/2mbps tier and U-Verse with a 15mbps/1mbps tier, Time Warner would increase their upload speed which would, in turn, cause Insight to due to the fact that they lease RR from Time Warner Cable in this market.

Overall
Overall, I'm very happy with the service Insight has provided me. The installation contractors were crappy, but that is to be expected with sub-contractors such as BroadBand Express. If you live in the market and have a choice between Wide Open West and Insight, go with the latter, as my experience with the former was less than favorable.

UPDATE (2011 FEBRUARY 27)

Insight Multi-Room DVR Review
---------------------------------------

Hardware
Insight uses Pace's DC900X NAS and the RNG150N HD (MoCA Enabled) Settop. The NAS has a 500 gb hard drive. The settops themselves do not have hard drives in them, but they do have eSATA ports. I attempted to plug an eSATA drive into the boxes but nothing happened. I also attempted to plug it into the NAS but had the same result. Reports online state that the eSATA port on the NAS will be enabled in the next software update, but who knows when that will be.

As for the hardware, the boxes themselves are quite responsive. By previous posts that I read, I was dreading the slowness and lag that others stated they had. I have not ran into any lag or slowness problems as of yet. There are plenty of odd glitches, but this is not one that I have ran into.

RNG150N

As for cosmetics.. well... I think it looks odd; it doesnt really fit in with other home theater equipment. I hate the blue clock; for whatever reason, when I look at it for the time, it makes my eyes hurt. Its not like its a soft blue, its a very bright blue, even when the LED is on the "Low" light setting.

Outputs are about the standard fare your accustomed to with a cable box. HDMI, Optical, Coax Audio, Component, Composite (Video/Audio), S-Video. This box does have a light for 1080p on the front, so I assume the chipset has the ability to output at this resolution. Insight has nothing in 1080p at the time, but it would allow them to have 1080p On-Demand right now if they so chose to.

One quirk with this box: there are no buttons on the cable box at all. Everything is controlled through the remote. Which is nice but at the same time seems like it could present a problem if the remote sensor fails.

DC900X NAS

The NAS looks more like a cable box than the box itself does. The lights on this box are a bright green, which I find easier on the eyes, but still a little too "green" for my tastes.

As for outputs, this box only has Cable (for MoCA), ethernet, and an eSATA port. The front lights have power, MoCA, and Ethernet.

It is quiet, I have heard nothing from it since the install. And this includes about 5 recordings going at once as well as two shows being streamed, at the same time.

Software>
Plusses
+FOLDERS! Finally, a system where you can put multiple of the same thing in.. one thing... really? Why did it take this long to get something so simple?
+MultiRoom! The reason why I had this installed. Honestly, with my experience, the system works. There is a quirk with the way shows are streamed, but I will cover that in the 'minuses'.
+Responsiveness. I feel the boxes are much quicker than my previous Pace boxes (TDC787X). I would have constant lock ups with the TDC787X, where as this one hasnt locked up or frozen once.

Minuses
-Okay, the biggest one first. There is a huge glitch with the system when watching something LIVE that you are also recording. If you hit the "MyDVR" button while watching the recording program, then hit the "exit" button on the remote, the box blanks out for a second, then starts playing the recording show from the beginning. The kicker to this though is that the playback bar shows that it is still at the live time. Further, if you hit the "live" button on the remote, nothing happens. The only fix is to change the channel to another live channel, then go back to the channel recording.

-When you are watching a DVR'd show on any of the boxes, you can't access any menus including the guide while watching it. Pressing any of these buttons causes the show to stop and the box goes back to live tv.

-500gb Hard Drive. This is more than the standard Pace box but I feel that this is not enough for 3 HDTVs recording daily shows. Further, the expandability options are currently disabled so this limits the entire house of their recordings as opposed to one box. Hopefully a patch for this will be released in short order.

Conclusion
In essence, I feel that, while this product does fulfill the need for a multi room dvr, the software is still too buggy to be primetime. This is proven more by the fact that the default brand logo is still in the software instead of the Cable Company (Insight)'s logo. There are many glitches, software-wise, that make this system less usable than the standard HD/DVR. Regardless of the faults, I will keep the product and feel like, once a few patches are released, this system will be a very competitve version of the Multi Room DVR.

IMAGES

[att=5]
[att=6]
[att=7]
[att=8]

Comments:

Review by TBC1 See Profile

• Location: Ft Mitchell,Kenton,KY
Good "Really Nice Download Speeds!"
Bad "What bad points, price is getting out of hand ?"
Overall "Cincinnati Bell's FIOPTICs puts Insight in its place, unless Insight changes their pricing and speeds bigtime!."

Updated 09/04/2010

Insight raised rates for TV and internet by $2/month. Without premium channels (HBO, etc) I now pay over $140/month; that's with the HD package. To give an example, I canceled HBO and Starz to get my bill down to around $125 two years ago, now I am at $140/m without them. I now feel this is getting out of hand, especially by raising the rate this year twice. Their service has been fine and I have no serious issues from Insight in years other than the very rare slowdown or outage. But, with Cincinnati Bell offering FIOPTICs with their internet speed tiers faster than Insight's and much cheaper, it's is only a matter time when I change when the service is available where I live.

CB's internet also has upload speed offering that are way and above Insight's from what I have read. With a big saving between CB'c TV and internet service, I just cannot see paying this much money for what I am getting in comparison and I have to have fast broadband speeds and Insight is the only one in my area with those speed offerings. I am not in any way advertising for CB, but with the prices as high as they are, I cannot see why it isn't fair to show how a better service is cheaper.

Updated 11/16/2006

Well, beginning Nov. 1st, 2006, Insight gave a free speed upgrade from (what was) my basic tier service of 4000kbps DL/350kbps UL to 10000kbps DL/1000kbps DL, this is real sweet. Apparently, I got this upgrade on Oct 31, 2006, and was 'officially' informed by mail nearly two weeks later on Nov. 13. The download and uploads have been very consistent, with downloads (typically) slowing down during peak hours, but not that much, nor that often. I now average around 9700/940, and I cannot tell you how awesome this is and how comparable Insight's internet service is to some of the fastest in the U.S. now.

Updated 11/25/05

Well, for the past two weeks, the speeds have been consistent from night and day, and I am still getting faster than advertised speeds. Depending on the 30 or so test sites I have used lately, I would say I average about 5500/350. Nice considering I am supposed to get 4000/350. If I go to a good website to download a sizable file (like a 12 meg file from Microsoft), I average downloading around 650-700/KBS. But for the most part, I average downloading files at about 550/KBS.

Updated 11/9/2005:

Well since my first review, they changed the upload speed back to 350kbps (up from 125), and that was done around 9 months ago or so. On October 4, 2005 (in which we were notified a few weeks beforehand), they stated they would be reworking the lines on that evening, and that the service wold be down from midnight until 4AM. Well, after that, my download speeds have increased nearly 40% as I am averaging between 5000 - 5500kbps. The upload speeds are still good at just around 350kbps. There was no price increase.

I have noticed though, that during peak hours the DL speeds drop considerably, to around (sometimes) 2000kbps, which this wasn't a problem before this recent fix. Overall, I won't complain, since most of my browsing and downloading is done in the wee hours of the morning through early afternoon.

(Original review, March, 2004)

When I first got this service back in Oct '"99" (then was @Home, then Insightbb), I had real fast speeds until AT&T took over the backbone in Feb 2003. I averaged around 4000-5000kbps Down, and 3-400up until AT&T took over in 2003. I then still got at least their rating of 3000/350, until Insight changed the upload down to 128, which I thought was not cool. For a time during Feb 2004, thru mid March 2004, the DL speeds dropped off, on average, around 500kbps to 2500-2700 kbps down. I complained, and they were receptive. Now, since there was a change, I am averaging 3500/250, which is nice.

For that short time before they fixed the DL/UL sppeds, I was thinking of getting Zoomtown, since they raised their rates to 3000/768, and it is cheaper. But my next door neighbor has that, and the best he can get is around an average of 2300/600. Tho I love that upload speed, I don't do any gaming, or anything that requires me to have that need, but I need the DL speed. So I will stick with Insight for now. Tech support in this area has generally been OK. Now, since Cinergy announced they are coming out with a broadband service over the electric lines (Current Communications »www.currentgroup.com/) I may see what that is like. I have read where the DL/UL speeds can be 6000/800, which would be sweet for the price range they will offer, supposedly in the $29-39 range for tiered service.

member for 12.5 years, 1286 visits, last login: 2.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by zean See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "Cost, Speed, Local tech support"
Bad "(phone)Tech support"
Overall "Best Broadband option in Lexington, KY"

I have had service with Insight Cable for a long time now and the quality of service has remained the same. The tech support is my remaining major gripe with this company.

The speeds I see are close to the cap, usually hover around the 10000/1000 cap.

No problems what so ever, with E-mail, or news servers.

InsightBB is still the best bang for your buck around the Lexington area.

member for 13.7 years, 2950 visits, last login: 1.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by kalone See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "Great Speed"
Bad "Speed can be up and down"
Overall "Great service"

Have had Insightbb for a long time was with @Home. Best game in town.

member for 12.4 years, 3019 visits, last login: 113 days ago

Comments:

Review by acadiel See Profile

• Location: Bloomington,Mclean,IL
Good "Great realiability, Super fast speeds!"
Bad "Not really any...."
Overall "A great bang for your buck!"

Note: Insight got bought out by Comcast. So, this review is no longer valid.

member for 12.4 years, 4427 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by MIRV See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "dl/up speeds are as advertised. great latentcy, great price"
Overall "best broadband for the money in louisville"

47.95 a month for 10/1.5 package.
The install was on time & smooth.
I have no complaints so far.

member for 14 years, 4580 visits, last login: a few hours ago