CTR Online page on DSLReports

Review by macroff See Profile

• Location: Provo,Utah,UT
  • Telco party Qwest
  • CLEC party: New Edge Networks
Good "Throughput always around 1.5 Mbits and very low latency to gateway."
Bad "Additional IP addresses are expensive."
Overall "Great ISP for New Edge customers in Utah and surrounding area."

A few months ago I switched the ISP on my New Edge 1.5 Mbit SDSL line from BritSys Inc. to CTR Online. I placed the order about a month before I wanted the switch to take place in order to make some DNS changes and other configuration changes with minimal downtime. The switch took place quickly and as planned in one morning. The sales department was great and made sure everything was in order a week before the switch was to take place. The first few weeks of service had a little downtime as they had a few issues with their New Edge router, but the problems have since been fixed. Since the fixes, the line has been flawless -- no downtime at all. Throughput is excellent, but the best part is the latency to the gateway. CTR Online's POP is in Salt Lake City and I'm just 30 miles down the road in Provo. The latency to my gateway is around 10 ms. Gaming on this SDSL line is awesome! No more dealing with Qwest interleaving!!! The only downside is the cost is a little bit higher than BritSys Inc. and the high cost of additional IP addresses -- $5 an IP address. Additional IP addresses come in normal block sizes and you have to pay for each usable IP address in the block whether you use it or not. The very low latency to the gateway, however, is worth every additional penny. I'm very satisfied with my CTR Online service.

Comments:

Review by melaniekluse See Profile

• Location: Salt Lake City,Salt Lake,UT
Good "Fast. The only high speed I could find in my area."
Bad "Uses phone line."
Overall "Best ISP I've had."

I'm too far from the CO to get good DSL (19,000 Feet) but webpages load almost instantly with CTROL turbo dialup. It's not cool that I still need to dial up but I can't complain too much since I'm only paying $30 bucks and get 100-200K. My only other options are Cable for $50 or IDSL for $100. They hooked me up over the phone which was nice. I'm happy for now until ADSL can go further or wireless ISPs installation costs drop down to nothing.

member for 12.4 years, 11 visits, last login: 11.2 years ago