altrio page on DSLReports

Review by rz8168 See Profile

Good "None."
Bad "inconsistent connection, extremely high ping."
Overall "Champion Broadband is a joke, get RoadRunner"

Latency is good but I constantly getting packet loss. Download speed drops dramatically from 4Mbps to 2Mbps.. dropped 50% and paying 4Mbps service price. Not only that... they shutdown 24 hours tech support... so whenever your service goes out at night after 10pm... you are on your own. I sent them an email about my dropped speed, they never respond. I'm about to switch back to Adelphia. I heard Adelphia had improved alot.

:::::::::::::::::::::: U P D A T E ::::::::::::::::::::::

My suggestion is avoid this company at all cost!

Their connection is not reliable as before when they were Altrio, now, I upgraded my speed to 10Mbps, but only getting 8Mbps with unwelcome features, extremely high latency. I'm getting at least 500ms high ping time to www.yahoo.com, and average is 1300ms. High latency doesn't only applies to www.yahoo.com only, it applies to any location I pinged. I called them, they send out a technician, they swapped the modem, but the problem still exists. I called again, they said if I'm not getting any packet losses, it is normal, there's no problem to fix. When I heard that, I'm surprised..... that is the most ridiculous thing I heard from ISP. It is obvious how they do business with customers now, as long as it works, regardless of their customer satisfactions, they won't bother to care. They overload servers and circuit with their customers, and yet they still refuse to improve or upgrade. So I said I want to cancel the service immediately, they said I have to bring the modem back. In days with Altrio, when you cancel the service, they will come out and pick up the modem for you.... but with Champion, you have to bring it back yourself. Believe me, stay away from this company.

Comments:

Review by CallMeMad See Profile

• Location: Arcadia,Los Angeles,CA
Good "There is nothing good about this company."
Bad "Everything that you can imagine that could be wrong with Champion Broadband is wrong."
Overall "If it sounds too good to be true the it probably is.... $44.95 for 4mbps, what you get is $44.95 for 113Kbps."

If you browse the other reviews of Altrio please look at the dates they were published.

I originally had created a very favorable review here for Altrio, however, Altrio was bought out by Champion Broadband. Champion brought their own management style to the operation. Through personal contacts that actually worked at Altrio I discovered that all but 5 of the service technicians were let go. The live people that answer the telephones also disappeared. Whenever I need to call Champion I am run through a series of answering machines. I can only assume that Champion eventually replaced ALL personnel with lower paid people.

The service has degraded considerably. I had upgraded to 4mbps, my actual average is close to 1,100kbps. I am giving them 1 month to fix this, otherwise I'm gone. I spent most of my working life in the service industry, mostly in the computer and communications arena. Believe me when I tell you that I know the difference between actual service personnel and desk jockeys. Champion has replaced the service people that you are connected to with desk jockeys. These people only know what is in whatever documentation Champion provides them. They do not have a technical background. You cannot be connected to anybody that actually knows what they are talking about. A series of 10 trouble calls I have placed concerning my degraded service proves this. Being told that it will take 3 to 4 weeks to correct the problem can only be tied to a breakdown in the entire system. No single point of failure can possibly take that long to isolate and repair.

In addition I can prove through documentation from tests performed on the dslreports.com site that I have been experiencing between 2% and 25% packet loss for 3 months now. I find it impossible to talk to Champion about this problem. The documentation clearly shows that the loss occurs at Champion's IP Address. On the other hand the desk jockeys have been trained to reply that packet loss is a function of the internet in general and that it cannot be taking place in champion's equipment.

The hours of degraded service seem to be connected to the hours that are prime time. It appears that Champion has been adding customers without adding the equipment to properly service them.

Unfortunately my choices for an alternate ISP are limited and I am unable to find another ISP that can offer 3 to 4 mbps service in my area. My distance from the closest telco office eliminates the possibility of a workable DSL connection. The search continues........

Here's hoping that enough people are screaming that Champion will have to upgrade their now overloaded system.

Update: I made my last and final phone call to Champion today. After spending over two hours on hold I was finally connected to an actual live person. I asked him why I had to spend two hours on hold. He got defensive and muttered something that I was unable to understand. Moving forward I related to him that my last test resulted in a download speed of 113Kbps instead of the 4mbps that I am paying for. I then asked what assistance he could provide. This is when it got sad beyond belief. He looked at his computer for a minute and then told me that I had refused to allow Champion to come to my location and repair the problem. He also told me that I had made demands for a refund. I can only say that this guy has quite an imagination, not to mention a lot of brass. I of course replied that if he had some sort of documentation in his system stating this that it was wrong and should be removed.

You won't believe what he said next. He told me that he very vividly remembered this conversation that was supposed to have taken place a month ago. Really, I want some of what ever brain food this guy eats.

Anyway I didn't want to argue with him about his fantasy and directed the conversation to what Champion could do to solve my connection problem. I was stunned to hear him say that since I had refused to allow Champion to repair the problem he didn't know what could be done. OK, hmmm.... I would like to speak to your supervisor. What do you mean your the supervisor? Am I to understand that the Champion's management personnel and the people that answer the phone are the same person? I use person instead of people because you must be the only person there, after all, I had to spend two hours on hold just to talk to you.

Ah so I cannot speak to your supervisor? Ok, I'm getting in the car and coming down there. I'll find your boss myself and ask him if he can help solve my internet connection problem. What's that? you can have somebody here tomorrow between 2pm and 4pm? OK, that's wonderful.

Ths saga continues....... tomorror by 4pm I'll know if I need attend a funeral for my Champion Internet Connection.

By the way, don't bother looking for a way to contact customer service through the internet. This internet company doesn't use the internet, only the telephone.

Comments:

Review by mloo9 See Profile

• Location: Arcadia,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Stable internet speed"
Bad "some channel is down frequenly"
Overall "Good price, especially package."

I've been using Altrio for almost 2 years, it has been 99% satisfy in the past. They bought by champion communication recently, internet speed still very stable at about 1.2M to 1.4M, it has been down several time in the past few month, each time last about 1 hr to overnight maybe due to maintence, and telephone service was great so far, only got one "no service" for the past 2 years. But some cable TV channel has problems, some channel was down since 3 days ago, I call every night after I got home and tried to watch my favor TV, but it is not there, call them, they said "I'm sorry" with not too friendly attitute, they charge me about $30-40 more than they should, call their customer service twice in 2 different Sat, both promise to call me back, but no one ever did. Finally I have to file dispute with CC company. Now, my favor channel not working, call them again, no help. Fortunately, I do have different choice, I may try adelphia if they couldn't fix their cable problem.

Comments:

Review by oomega1 See Profile

• Location: Arcadia,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Good Price"
Bad "Goes Down a lot due to Equipment failure."
Overall "good for email checking for adults that do nothing else."

I got the whole package deal. I have had it for awhile, and the tech support is awesome, the customer service is very good and very bad depending on who you talk to. Ususally very bad, unexperienced and have no clue. When they do maintaince expect your phones not to work some of the time, and your phone calls during that time to go on and off. When tech support came by, one of their techs said that someone in noc section thought i was the one hacking their system?WTF? i dont do such things and i am very pissed at such remarks, i do my own thing and play games, and talk to my friends online. My friend died just as i got cut off while talking to someone, which is why i am so pissed off.. And package deal sucks when they go down. My games are flaky, i play diablo 2 and quake most of the time. Lost countless hardcore characters, and timed out in quake so many times. Due to maintaince. They have no schedule and do it at any time of the day or night. Talking to friends at night and i got cut off. and i call back and it doesn't work. All due to maintaince. Their system is not doing so well and has a lot of glitches. I am hoping they see this review and fix their problems and stop blaming it on me, as one of the techs left you angry when they blamed it on 4 comptuers and then started to blame it on powersupply and nic issues. Which was always the internal issue and they always say sorry, but its happening less like that but i am still pissed at the recent events. But as for business wise people who may need it for stocks or share holders or important issues, as if such your business is being a doctor or a lawyer, Police, or fire department, i please urge you not to rely on your phone lines while using altrio. To some of those people that know me greetz* I love the work of all the people up there except for the doctors and lawyers as i am afraid of doctors and hate lawyers without morality. I hope they read this and fix their issues. It is not to degrade their service but to give a warning of all the good and bad. It WAS a very good service from the start that got worse. I hope more of you guys will keep your opinions and complain to them.

member for 12.7 years, 381 visits, last login: 6.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by jameswolf See Profile

• Location: Pasadena,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Great, unwavering speed, very reliable, amazing tech support"
Bad "A bit costly for 1.5 Mbps service"
Overall "A truly great cable service"

I am very, very happy with altrio's service. In fact, I was afraid to post the review because I didn't want users clogging my bandwidth . I have had the service for a long time (~6 months) so I can tell you that they are consistent. First off, the installer was at our house in very little time. He did a great job, and did a nice job putting the wires where the floor and wall meets. He set it up so that I have a port nearby my computer. If I want to go to a LAN party, I can just disconnect the smaller cable running to that port, and I am good to go. They set me up with a linksys 4-port router. Needless to say, I was pleased with the install.

I have the 1500/300 service, and I pay 54.95 a month. Not the greatest price, but not bad either. (You can get discounts if you use their cable TV service, too). My speeds are typically very close to the rated speeds, usually around 1430/250. I have yet to see the speeds waver by more than a few kilobits p/sec. I also play online games, and I often have the lowest ping on the server (50 ms). I couldn't really ask for much more as far as performance.

In the months that I have had the service, I have only had trouble maybe for maybe 2 days (that were altrio's fault, not mine). Those days were during a big storm when wires went out. I called altrio, and every time they had the problem fixed within minutes (including the day with the storms).

To sum everything up, altrio 1 is) fast 2) is reliable 3) has good pings 3)has great tech support and 4) has a great install. Now I just have to pray that there arent a million signups in my area .

Comments:

Review by ghenjei See Profile

• Location: Pasadena,Los Angeles,CA
Good "great customer service, sales, speeds good"
Bad "would not work with my DOCSIS modem for some reason"
Overall "I am happy. :-)"

Altrio is an alternate cable provider in the Arcadia, Monrovia and Pasadena area so far (they have plans for Eagle Rock and Glendale). I saw their trucks all over Pasadena, and wanted to get away from Charter (they've burned me a couple times), so I called them. Initially, the person on the phone (one of their big points - they have operators. You call, someone answers, no touch-tone stuff; they transfer you to the correct department; they tell them who you are and what the problem is before you even speak to support) said that it was not available in my area, not until January.

A week later, a salesman shows up at my door, and tells my wife that it's ready. I call them, and he gives me a great deal (Extended basicCable TV+ HBO, Showtime & Stars/Encore; 1.5/384 dynamic, & telephone, incl voicemail, call waiting, caller ID, call forwarding, + 120 free long distance minutes - $120/month). He then drives out to my house the same day to sign the docs. The sales guy understand DOCSIS, he knows how the fiber is laid out., everything.

So, since it was a holiday week, I get install scheduled for Monday after thanksgiving. 8am-10am.

Two guys show up at 8:10 AM. I show them the boxes, these guys are really polite - they aren't contractor but work for Altrio. Altrio has the same people do install and repair. So they get everything up, new wires, etc by 9:45. I had my own modem, so we were trying to get it to work, but it wouldn't sync. I told them that I would work on it - they could take off. They didn't want to at first, but after 1/2 hour of messing with it, they took off. They showed me where their drop was, and warned me about the 90v charge on the line (for the telephone). Friendly guys.

So I messed with the modem for a while, called their tech support. Their tech support worked with me, and after we couldn't get it to work - they sent someone back out -THE SAME DAY. Guy was there minutes after I found out they were sending someone out. We hooked up their modem, worked like a champ.

I spoke to the tech about the product for a bit - first off, he used to work with Adelphia, then moved over to altrio, they pay their techs a lot more,and he was really happy with them. Altrio runs all their own fiber - no sharing with existing facilities. They have been around for 5 years; they are looking for city contracts to expand. So basically, better than Charter or Adelphia, their employees are happy & responsive (they guy called me back after everything was done to make sure everything was working alright). 1 month free service, 4 months free premium channels, no monthly contract. All new fiber backbone, all owned by Altrio.

member for 13.7 years, 353 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by jtingue001 See Profile

• Location: Pasadena,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Customer Service, High Down-Speed, compartively fantastic up-speed."
Bad "Service Interruptions, Poor Installation"
Overall "Excellent value, if you can deal with the growing pains of a new company."

I was a satisfied Charter Pipeline customer who decided to give the new guys on the block a chance because of a) advertised speeds, and b) I like to support the little guy. However, in retrospect, I'm beginning to wonder why I fixed something that wasn't broke.

Right off the bat, I was amazed that Altrio had real, flesh and bone, people answering their phones without any automated operators whatsoever. That was for tech support as well as sales. I scheduled installation on Thursday, and had it installed the following Tuesday. The package I ordered was $99 a month and came with 1500/300, dynamic ip - cable internet, Digital Cable, plus my choice of three premium channel packages. Overall, a great deal, considering the first month was free. I also signed up for their phone service, which won't be activated for another three weeks, at an extra $11/mo. (We tried using cell phones only, without pacbell, but the reception is poor and I keep going over my limit with daily calls from my talkative girlfriend).

The installation guy came by his lonesome at 12:50pm for a 12-2 appointment slot. Pretty impressive for a utility, especially compared to Charter's 1pm appearance for a 8am-12pm slot. He was friendly, yet slightly dazed from all the years of a presumably Orange County upbringing. I didn't have a problem with their installation until after he left and I noticed all the damage he did: a broken planter pot, a sloppy drill-hole through an exterior beam, and a section of my fence left knocked over into the neighbors yard. He also left a considerable mess around the installation area, stole my nice ink pen, and neglected to say anything about the fence. I called customer service and they had someone out to inspect and repair the damage the next day. I also got my pen back.

In the eight days that I have had service, there have been three half-day service interruptions. The first was because a node went out in our neighborhood, the second was because their SMTP mail server went down, and the third, yesterday, was because their system-wide cable internet service went down. I didn't have any interruptions with charter.

I can empathize with a new company and their growing pains, but for only so long. They obviously need a lesson in fault-tolerance, system backup, and re-routes. Also, they should have tested the new equipment in our neighborhood a little more before signing people up. That goes for the television service as well; a lot of the premium channels are barely audible. How hard would it be to plug a tv into one of their lines and go through each channel?

I'm inclined to stay with altrio because of their generous speeds and friendly human customer service reps. However, if they can't keep their service up, it doesn't do me any good, no matter how fast it it, or how friendly they are.

Comments:

Review by jpoon9 See Profile

• Location: Arcadia,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Data Services / Customer Support / Speed"
Bad "Could be cheaper in the Long Run"
Overall "Very SOLID"

Alrio has excellent customer service, and the services they promise to provide, they deliver.

Here is my story:

Move back to Arcadia. Needed broadband to fuel my gaming addiction. What was key for me is to find a broadband service with low latency. So I ordered SpeakEasy (i'm 7000feet from the CO). During the waiting period, I had a choice between Adephia and Direct TV for my TV needs. 1 day a gentleman knocked on my door and asked if I need their services. I was like, what company are you from? I never heard of you. Anyhow I decided to get the TV services only and not the data. The salesman said, i recommend you get out data service for your interenet connection. Trust me people who have tried to get DSL in Arcadia have gone through DSL Hell. I was like whatever, he just wants more money. Speakeasy self install Kit came in and it DSL worked like a champ for 4 hours and never worked again. 2 weeks later after numerious calls with tech support with Speakeasy and I still do not have broadband. So I cancelled it.

So I said what the hell, I called Altrio and asked to install their broadband solution. They came down the next day and installed the line and the modem and I was rocking away with broadband. I asked him how much is this going to cost me. He said currently I am getting the 1.5mb service free for the first 3 months and 30 bucks until April of next year. I was like Right On!! lets bump it up to the 3mb service. With that service it is costing me 60 bucks a month, which I would gladly pay.

Anyhow I think no one can go wrong if they go with Altrio. Personally I hope Charter or someone buy Adephia if they go bankrupt so that Altrio does not have to absorb all the Adephia customers. I want Altrio to get more business, but not overload their systems, although they claim they can handle it.

member for 12.3 years, 76 visits, last login: 10.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by SAM Hunter$ See Profile

• Location: Arcadia,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Outstanding performance and services."
Bad "Absolutely none so far."
Overall "Best company I've ever dealt with so far."

Altrio is full service communications provider in Los Angeles. They offer cable broadband and television as well as various telephone services. Everything they offer is state of the art in terms of digital, servers, routers, hardware, fiber optics, cable quality, and service. You can purchase by service packages or ala Carte.

Their residential broadband is offered in three download speeds: 3 Mbps, 1.5 Mbps, and 256Kbps. Uploads speeds are automatically by default approximately 1/5 of your download. (Is that fantastic or what?). Broadband Ala Carte prices are $129.95, $49.95, and $24.95. Because of their sophisticated network they guarantee you the advertised bandwidth pipeline from them and that the number of users logged on to their service will not lower your speed. However, they clearly inform you that you will not get the full speed due to conditions on the Internet or web site transmissions but tell you that normally and routinely you should get at least 80 percent. (I do!) You also get three email accounts and a web page plus 24 hour toll free telephone support and they offer a good members' website help “page.” They use a dynamic IP but assigned you a specific IP that normally remains constant. They tell you what the IP will be before they even connect you. I stay connected at all times so I assume IP will not change.

Before I go into further detail I’ll just say that in every area I’ve dealt with them so far they are equal to or superior to any company I’ve ever dealt with. They are actually genuinely shockingly good! I keep thinking what is the catch?

Presales information about their services was excellent. I spoke in length with two CS reps and they were outstanding both in knowledge and demeanor. It was clear that they knew their products and system and their communication skills were outstanding. They were able to offer service within two business days. I ordered on Friday and they installed on Monday.

When the installer arrived promptly at the appointment time of 2 PM he rang the doorbell but I was out back and couldn’t hear it. He called the office immediately who called me on my cellular phone to let me know the installer was out front waiting for me in his truck. The two installers took over two hours to install and they were very clearly knowledgeable and professional in their skill level as well a friendly and outgoing. I got their television cable as well. They upgraded my cable line quality at no charge because I was some distance from the street.

Within 15 minutes of hooking up my cable modem I was set up and surfing. My speeds are constantly about 1.4/265 with no packet loss, latency problems, and pings are rock solid in the high eighties and low nineties. (Note: My speeds are faster with my Windows XP RWIN settings set at a higher number than recommended by DSLR tweak recommendations.) At recommended levels I get 1.0 to 1.1 down but at 67000 or above I get 1.4. I’ve played with the settings for several days to confirm this.

After going online I just needed to make one call to set up my or choose my three email accounts and that was it. The tech picked up the phone on the first ring and like all of the CS and TS reps I’ve dealt with was very friendly, knowledgeable, relaxed, and very clearly really knew their stuff. Nobody you talk to at this company ever sounds rushed or in a hurry to get you off the line. Conversations are conducted much like in a friendly social setting.

I also got one of their digital television cable packages and their cable service is the best I’ve ever seen in quality, channel line up, interface, technological offerings, menus, and they even offer optional parental controls for both the ISP and the television. Finally, as a promotional offer because they are new to my specific area I only pay $60.00 per month for the whole package with no contract, no cancellation fees, a free modem and the first month free. The price stays the same until April 2003 when it goes up to about $99.00.

Yes, it really does seem too good to be true so far. It is too soon for me to rate the connection reliability or overall tech support at this time. I will update in several months--especially after Adelphia goes under as they currently are the only other cable alternative in my area.

member for 13.3 years, 651 visits, last login: 11.7 years ago